Genomes and Genes
Summary: A primary headache disorder that is characterized by severe, strictly unilateral PAIN which is orbital, supraorbital, temporal or in any combination of these sites, lasting 15-180 min. occurring 1 to 8 times a day. The attacks are associated with one or more of the following, all of which are ipsilateral: conjunctival injection, lacrimation, nasal congestion, rhinorrhea, facial SWEATING, eyelid EDEMA, and miosis. (International Classification of Headache Disorders, 2nd ed. Cephalalgia 2004: suppl 1)
Publications246 found, 100 shown here
- Hypothalamic activation in cluster headache attacksA May
University Department of Clinical Neurology, Institute of Neurology, National Hospital for Neurology and Neurosurgery, London, UK
Lancet 352:275-8. 1998b>Cluster headache, one of the most severe pain syndromes in human beings, is usually described as a vascular headache...
- Cluster headache: aetiology, diagnosis and managementKarl Ekbom
Department of Neurology, Huddinge University Hospital, Huddinge, Sweden
Drugs 62:61-9. 2002b>Cluster headache is characterised by repeated attacks of strictly unilateral pain in the orbital region associated with local autonomic symptoms or signs. The attacks are brief but of a very severe, almost excruciating intensity...
- Cluster headache: a prospective clinical study with diagnostic implicationsAnish Bahra
Headache Group, Institute of Neurology, The National Hospital for Neurology and Neurosurgery, Queen Square, London WC1N 3BG, United Kingdom
Neurology 58:354-61. 2002
- Cluster headache in the United States of America: demographics, clinical characteristics, triggers, suicidality, and personal burdenTodd D Rozen
Geisinger Wyoming Valley Geisinger Health System, Department of Neurology, Wilkes Barre, PA 18711, USA
Headache 52:99-113. 2012To present results from the United States (US) Cluster Headache Survey including data on cluster headache demographics, clinical characteristics, suicidality, diagnostic delay, triggers, and personal burden.
- Sustained effectiveness of occipital nerve stimulation in drug-resistant chronic cluster headacheDelphine Magis
Headache Research Unit, CHR Citadelle, Department of Neurology, University of Liege, Liege, Belgium
Headache 51:1191-201. 2011Drug-resistant chronic cluster headache (drCCH) is a devastating condition for which various invasive therapeutic procedures have been tempted without any satisfactory effect...
- EFNS guidelines on the treatment of cluster headache and other trigeminal-autonomic cephalalgiasA May
Department of Systems Neuroscience, University of Hamburg, Hamburg, Germany
Eur J Neurol 13:1066-77. 2006b>Cluster headache and the other trigeminal-autonomic cephalalgias [paroxysmal hemicrania, short-lasting unilateral neuralgiform headache attacks with conjunctival injection and tearing (SUNCT) syndrome] are rare but very disabling ..
- Suboccipital injection with a mixture of rapid- and long-acting steroids in cluster headache: a double-blind placebo-controlled studyAnna Ambrosini
Headache Clinic, INM Neuromed, IRCCS, Via Atinense, 18, I 86077 Pozzilli, Isernia, Italy
Pain 118:92-6. 2005Oral steroids can interrupt bouts of cluster headache (CH) attacks, but recurrence is frequent and may lead to steroid-dependency...
- Diagnostic delays and mis-management in cluster headacheA Bahra
Headache Group, Institute of Neurology, Queen Square, London, UK
Acta Neurol Scand 109:175-9. 2004b>Cluster headache is a stereotyped form of primary headache that while common in terms of neurologic illnesses is much less common as a cause of disabling headache than migraine.
- Central modulation in cluster headache patients treated with occipital nerve stimulation: an FDG-PET studyDelphine Magis
University Neurology Department, Liege, Belgium
BMC Neurol 11:25. 2011Occipital nerve stimulation (ONS) has raised new hope for drug-resistant chronic cluster headache (drCCH), a devastating condition. However its mode of action remains elusive...
- Stimulation of the sphenopalatine ganglion (SPG) for cluster headache treatment. Pathway CH-1: a randomized, sham-controlled studyJean Schoenen
Headache Research Unit, Department of Neurology, CHR Citadelle, Liege University, B 4000 Liege, Belgium
Cephalalgia 33:816-30. 2013The pain and autonomic symptoms of cluster headache (CH) result from activation of the trigeminal parasympathetic reflex, mediated through the sphenopalatine ganglion (SPG)...
- The misdiagnosis of cluster headache: a nonclinic, population-based, Internet surveyJ A Klapper
Colorado Neurology and Headache Center, Denver 80218, USA
Headache 40:730-5. 2000OBJECTIVE: We conducted the first nonclinic, Internet-based survey of cluster headache to investigate this population with regard to diagnostic problems encountered, effective and ineffective medications, problems obtaining medications ..
- Anatomical location of effective deep brain stimulation electrodes in chronic cluster headacheDenys Fontaine
Centre Hospitalier Universitaire de Nice Neurosurgery, Nice, France
Brain 133:1214-23. 2010..stimulation of the posterior hypothalamus is a therapeutic approach to the treatment of refractory chronic cluster headache, but the precise anatomical location of the electrode contacts has not been clearly assessed...
- Features involved in the diagnostic delay of cluster headacheJ A van Vliet
Department of Neurology, Leiden University Medical Centre, 2300 RC Leiden, Netherlands
J Neurol Neurosurg Psychiatry 74:1123-5. 2003b>Cluster headache (CH) is a comparatively rare, very severe primary headache. Although circumscript and recognisable criteria are available, the diagnosis is often missed or delayed...
- Electrical stimulation of sphenopalatine ganglion for acute treatment of cluster headachesMehdi Ansarinia
The Headache Specialists, Las Vegas, NV, USA
Headache 50:1164-74. 2010..For this reason, it was selected as a target for an acute neurostimulation study...
- Diffusion tensor imaging in episodic cluster headacheMichael Teepker
Department of Neurology, Philipps University of Marburg, Marburg, Germany
Headache 52:274-82. 2012b>Cluster headache (CH) is a rare headache disorder with severe unilateral headache bouts and autonomic symptoms. The pathophysiology of CH is not completely understood...
- Cranial autonomic symptoms in migraine: characteristics and comparison with cluster headacheT H Lai
Department of Neurology, National Yang Ming University, Taipei, Taiwan
J Neurol Neurosurg Psychiatry 80:1116-9. 2009Cranial autonomic symptoms (CAS) are distinguishing features of trigeminal autonomic cephalalgias, of which cluster headache (CH) is the most common, but they can occur in patients with migraine...
- Selective decreased grey matter volume of the pain-matrix network in cluster headacheMartina Absinta
Vita Salute San Raffaele University, Italy
Cephalalgia 32:109-15. 2012We assessed the pattern of regional white matter and grey matter abnormalities in patients with cluster headache (CH), using tract-based spatial statistics (TBSS) and voxel-based morphometry (VBM).
- Altered regional homogeneity in spontaneous cluster headache attacks: a resting-state functional magnetic resonance imaging studyEn chao Qiu
Department of Neurology, Chinese People s Liberation Army General Hospital, Beijing, China
Chin Med J (Engl) 125:705-9. 2012Functional neuroimaging study has opened an avenue for exploring the pathophysiology of cluster headache (CH)...
- Female cluster headache in the United States of America: what are the gender differences? Results from the United States Cluster Headache SurveyTodd D Rozen
Geisinger Wyoming Valley Geisinger Health System, Department of Neurology, Wilkes Barre, PA 18711, USA
J Neurol Sci 317:17-28. 2012To present results from the United States Cluster Headache Survey regarding gender differences in cluster headache demographics, clinical characteristics, diagnostic delay, triggers, treatment response and personal burden.
- Prophylactic treatment of episodic cluster headache with intravenous bolus of methylprednisoloneP Mir
Department of Neurology, University Hospital Virgen del Rocio, Avda Manuel Siurot s n, 41013 Seville, Spain
Neurol Sci 24:318-21. 2003..of intravenous boluses of methylprednisolone followed by prednisone as a prophylactic treatment for episodic cluster headache. Fourteen male patients (mean age, 42...
- Occipital nerve stimulation for the treatment of chronic cluster headache - lessons learned from 18 months experienceO M Mueller
University Hospital Essen, Neurosurgery, Essen, Germany
Cent Eur Neurosurg 72:84-9. 2011..has been recognized as a valuable surgical treatment option for patients with refractory chronic cluster headache (CCH). Due to the small number of afflicted individuals, the knowledge about this specific therapy is limited...
- Treatment of refractory chronic cluster headache by chronic occipital nerve stimulationDenys Fontaine
Centre Hospitalier Universitaire de Nice, France
Cephalalgia 31:1101-5. 2011Greater occipital nerve stimulation (ONS) has been recently proposed to treat severe chronic cluster headache patients (CCH) refractory to medical treatment. We report the results of a French multidisciplinary cohort study.
- Long-term results of radiofrequency rhizotomy in the treatment of cluster headacheJ M Taha
Department of Neurosurgery, University of Cincinnati College of Medicine, OH 45267-0515, USA
Headache 35:193-6. 1995Although the primary treatment of chronic cluster headache is medical, surgical treatment is sometimes used...
- Intranasal lidocaine for cluster headacheL Robbins
Robbins Headache Clinic, Northbrook, Illinois, USA
Headache 35:83-4. 1995Thirty male patients with cluster headache were given 4% lidocaine solution to use intranasally as an abortive therapy. Four sprays of lidocaine were used ipsilateral to the pain, and two more were used, if necessary...
- Preemptive oral treatment with sumatriptan during a cluster periodI Monstad
Nevrologisk avd, Hedmark Sentralsykehus, Elverum, Norway
Headache 35:607-13. 1995..of a 7-day period of preemptive treatment with oral sumatriptan (100 mg tid) on the frequency and severity of cluster headache attacks occurring during an established cluster headache period. Safety and tolerability were also assessed...
- Specific hypothalamic activation during a spontaneous cluster headache attackT Sprenger
Department of Neurology, Technical University of Munich, Germany
Neurology 62:516-7. 2004
- Functional magnetic resonance imaging in episodic cluster headacheNicola Morelli
University Centre for Adaptive Disorders and Headache UCADH, Institute of Neurology, Department of Neurosciences, University of Pisa, Pisa, Italy
J Headache Pain 10:11-4. 2009We have investigated the cerebral activation centre in four patients with episodic cluster headache (CH) with functional magnetic resonance imaging (f-MRI)...
- Hypothalamic stimulation in chronic cluster headache: a pilot study of efficacy and mode of actionJ Schoenen
Headache Research Unit, University Department of Neurology, CHR Citadelle, Bd du XIIème de Ligne, B 4000 Liege, Belgium
Brain 128:940-7. 2005We enrolled six patients suffering from refractory chronic cluster headache in a pilot trial of neurostimulation of the ipsilateral ventroposterior hypothalamus using the stereotactic coordinates published previously...
- Parenteral indomethacin (the INDOTEST) in cluster headacheF Antonaci
Department of Neurological Sciences, Institute of Neurology IRCCS C Mondino, University of Pavia, Pavia, Italy
Cephalalgia 23:193-6. 2003..in the assessment of chronic paroxysmal hemicrania (CPH) and other unilateral headache disorders like cluster headache (CH), with which CPH can be confounded...
- Chronic cluster headache responsive to pramipexoleA Palmieri
Headache Unit, Service of Neurology, Hospital of San Donà di Piave, Italy
Cephalalgia 26:761-2. 2006
- Diagnostic and therapeutic trajectory of cluster headache patients in FlandersE Van Alboom
Department of Neurology of Ghent University Hospital, Ghent, Belgium
Acta Neurol Belg 109:10-7. 2009A fraction of cluster headache (CH) patients face diagnostic delay, misdiagnosis, undertreatment and mismanagement. Specific data for Flanders are warranted.
- Cluster headache, hypothalamus, and orexinPhilip R Holland
Headache Research Group, Department of Neurology, University of California, San Francisco, Box 0114, 505 Parnassus Avenue, San Francisco, CA 94143, USA
Curr Pain Headache Rep 13:147-54. 2009b>Cluster headache (CH) is a highly disabling condition resulting in severe, recurrent unilateral bouts of pain and accompanying autonomic symptoms...
- Cognitive processing in cluster headacheStefan Evers
Department of Neurology, University of Munster, Albert Schweitzer Str 33, 48129 Munster, Germany
Curr Pain Headache Rep 9:109-12. 2005Little is known about specific changes of cognitive processing in cluster headache. Studies on event-related potentials (ERP) suggest that stimulus evaluation is impaired in chronic cluster headache and in episodic cluster headache during ..
- The incidence and prevalence of cluster headache: a meta-analysis of population-based studiesM Fischera
Department of Neurology, University of Munster, Munster, Germany
Cephalalgia 28:614-8. 2008b>Cluster headache is a trigemino-autonomic cephalgia with a low prevalence. Several population-based studies on its prevalence and incidence have been performed, but with different methodology resulting in different figures...
- Sphenopalatine ganglion radiofrequency ablation for the management of chronic cluster headacheSamer Narouze
Cleveland Clinic Foundation, Pain Management Department, Cleveland, OH 44195, USA
Headache 49:571-7. 2009Chronic cluster headache patients are often resistant to pharmacological management...
- Facilitated temporal processing of pain and defective supraspinal control of pain in cluster headacheArmando Perrotta
Headache Clinic, IRCCS Mediterranean Neurological Institute Neuromed, Pozzilli, Italy
Pain 154:1325-32. 2013In cluster headache (CH), pathogenesis has been emphasized the role of the posterior hypothalamus...
- Classification of primary headachesR B Lipton
Department of Neurology, Albert Einstein College of Medicine, Bronx, NY 10461 1926, USA
Neurology 63:427-35. 2004..The four categories of primary headaches include migraine, tension-type headache, cluster headache and other trigeminal autonomic cephalalgias, and other primary headaches...
- Treatment costs and indirect costs of cluster headache: A health economics analysisCharly Gaul
Department of Neurology, University Duisburg Essen, Essen, Germany
Cephalalgia 31:1664-72. 2011b>Cluster headache (CH) is the most frequent trigemino-autonomic cephalgia. CH can manifest as episodic (eCH) or chronic cluster headache (cCH) causing significant burden of disease and requiring attack therapy and prophylactic treatment.
- Neuroimaging in cluster headache and other trigeminal autonomic cephalalgiasElisa Iacovelli
Neurology Section, Department of Medico Surgical Sciences and Biotechnologies, Sapienza University of Rome, Viale dell Universita 30, 00185, Rome, Italy
J Headache Pain 13:11-20. 2012..The available functional neuroimaging data in cluster headache and other TACs will thus be summarized...
- Clinical features of unilateral headaches beyond migraine and cluster headache and their response to indomethacinStefan Seidel
Department of Neurology, Medical University of Vienna, Vienna, Austria
Wien Klin Wochenschr 123:536-41. 2011The majority of previous studies on unilateral headaches beyond migraine and cluster headache have focussed on certain disorders such as paroxysmal hemicrania, SUNCT and primary stabbing headache...
- Melatonin as adjunctive therapy in the prophylaxis of cluster headache: a pilot studyTamara Pringsheim
Department of Neurology and Neurosurgery, Montreal Neurological Institute, McGill University, Montreal, Canada
Headache 42:787-92. 2002The periodicity of cluster headache suggests involvement of the suprachiasmatic nucleus of the hypothalamus, the biological clock...
- Central nervous system dysregulation extends beyond the pain-matrix network in cluster headacheMaria A Rocca
Institute of Experimental Neurology, Department of Neuroradiology, Scientific Institute and University Ospedale San Raffaele, Milan, Italy
Cephalalgia 30:1383-91. 2010In this study, we investigated whether abnormalities of the brain resting-state networks (RSNs) occur in patients with episodic cluster headache (CH), outside the attacks of the disease.
- The psychiatric comorbidities of cluster headacheMatthew S Robbins
Montefiore Headache Center, 1575 Blondell Avenue, Suite 225, Bronx, NY 10461, USA
Curr Pain Headache Rep 17:313. 2013Although the comorbidity of migraine has been extensively studied, the relationships between cluster headache and psychiatric disease have not been well-addressed...
- Epidemiology and genetics of cluster headacheMichael Bjørn Russell
Department of Neurology, Akershus University Hospital, Oslo, Norway
Lancet Neurol 3:279-83. 2004b>Cluster headache, the most severe primary headache, is characterised by unilateral pain, ipsilateral autonomic features, and, in many cases, restlessness...
- Clinical profile of cluster headaches in Japan: low prevalence of chronic cluster headache, and uncoupling of sense and behaviour of restlessnessNoboru Imai
Department of Neurology, Shizuoka Red Cross Hospital, 8 2 Ohtemachi, Aoi ku, Shizuoka, Japan
Cephalalgia 31:628-33. 2011..This study examined the clinical profile of cluster headaches in Japan and the potential presence of features peculiar to Japan. Most previous studies of cluster headaches have focused on Caucasian populations...
- Eletriptan for the short-term prophylaxis of cluster headacheKarin Zebenholzer
Department of Neurology, University of Vienna Austria Medical School
Headache 44:361-4. 2004A beneficial prophylactic effect from eletriptan 40 mg given to a single patient with cluster headache was observed.
- Case series of four different headache types presenting as tooth painAurelio A Alonso
Department of Diagnostic and Biological Sciences, School of Dentistry, University of Minnesota, Minneapolis, Minnesota 55455, USA
J Endod 32:1110-3. 2006..This case series describes four patients, one each with migraine headache, cluster headache, paroxysmal hemicrania, and hemicrania continua, all of which who presented to dentists with the chief ..
- Valsalva-induced cluster: a new subtype of cluster headacheJames Ko
Department of Neurology, Jefferson Headache Center, Thomas Jefferson University, Philadelphia, PA 19107, USA
Headache 42:301-2. 2002..This may be the first reported case of cluster that only occurs after a defined trigger and never spontaneously. It also may be the first cluster headache subtype that is indomethacin responsive.
- Occipital nerve stimulation for drug-resistant chronic cluster headache: a prospective pilot studyDelphine Magis
Headache Research Unit, Department of Neurology, Liege University, CHR Citadelle, Liege, Belgium
Lancet Neurol 6:314-21. 2007Drug-resistant chronic cluster headache (drCCH) is a devastating disorder for which various destructive procedures have been tried unsuccessfully. Occipital nerve stimulation (ONS) is a new, safe strategy for intractable headaches...
- Outpatient intravenous dihydroergotamine for refractory cluster headacheE Magnoux
Montreal Migraine Clinic, Quebec, Canada
Headache 44:249-55. 2004To evaluate the efficacy and safety of outpatient intravenous dihydroergotamine (DHE) for treatment of refractory cluster headache.
- Sphenopalatine endoscopic ganglion block: a revision of a traditional technique for cluster headacheGiovanni Felisati
University of Milan, Via di Rudini 8, 20100 Milan, Italy
Laryngoscope 116:1447-50. 2006The diagnosis of chronic cluster headache (CH), the most painful form of headache, is based on typical clinical features characterized by strictly unilateral pain with no side shift and ipsilateral oculofacial autonomic phenomena...
- Effectiveness of intranasal zolmitriptan in acute cluster headache: a randomized, placebo-controlled, double-blind crossover studyElizabeth Cittadini
Institute of Neurology, The National Hospital for Neurology and Neurosurgery, Queen Square, London, England
Arch Neurol 63:1537-42. 2006b>Cluster headache is a form of primary headache in which attacks are rapid in onset with very severe pain. The mainstays of acute therapy are inhaled oxygen and sumatriptan succinate injection.
- Cluster headache: clinical presentation, lifestyle features, and medical treatmentMarkus Schürks
Department of Neurology, University of Duisburg Essen, Essen, Germany
Headache 46:1246-54. 2006b>Cluster headache (CH) is a rare but severe headache form with a distinct clinical presentation. Misdiagnoses and mismanagement among these patients are high.
- Cluster headache in the Taiwanese -- a clinic-based studyK H Lin
Department of Internal Medicine, Chia I Veterans Hospital, Chia Yi, Taiwan
Cephalalgia 24:631-8. 2004b>Cluster headache has not been fully investigated in Asians. One hundred and four patients (90M/14F; mean age 39.2 +/- 12.2 years) with cluster headache were recruited from two major headache clinics in Taiwan...
- Cluster headache: a review of neuroimaging findingsAlexandre F M DaSilva
PAIN Group, Brain Imaging Center, McLean Hospital, 115 Mill Street, Belmont, MA 02478, USA
Curr Pain Headache Rep 11:131-6. 2007Classified as a trigeminal autonomic cephalalgia, cluster headache is characterized by recurrent short-lived excruciating pain attacks, which are concurrent with autonomic signs...
- Divalproex sodium in the treatment of migraine and cluster headachesR Michael Gallagher
University Headache Center, Moorestown, NJ 08057 1550, USA
J Am Osteopath Assoc 102:92-4. 2002..Overall, divalproex sodium was found to be an effective and generally well-tolerated prophylactic treatment option as monotherapy or in polytherapy for migraine and cluster headache.
- Differences in clinical characteristics and frequency of accompanying migraine features in episodic and chronic cluster headacheC Gaul
Department of Neurology and Headache Centre, University Duisburg Essen, Hufelandstrasse 55, 45147 Essen, Germany
Cephalalgia 32:571-7. 2012Data on clinical differences between episodic (eCH) and chronic cluster headache (cCH) and accompanying migraine features are limited.
- Cluster headache: diagnosis and treatmentRashmi Halker
Department of Neurology, Mayo Clinic Arizona, Phoenix, Arizona, USA
Semin Neurol 30:175-85. 2010b>Cluster headache is a rare yet exquisitely painful primary headache disorder occurring in either episodic or chronic patterns...
- Possible predictive factors in the evolution of episodic to chronic cluster headacheP Torelli
Headache Center, Institute of Neurology, University of Parma, Italy
Headache 40:798-808. 2000..study was to identify general factors and distinctive clinical features differentiating patients with chronic cluster headache (CH) evolved from episodic CH and patients with episodic CH...
- Aspects on the pathophysiology of migraine and cluster headacheL Edvinsson
Department of Internal Medicine, Lund University Hospital, S 221 85 Lund, Sweden
Pharmacol Toxicol 89:65-73. 2001..In cluster headache and in a case of chronic paroxysmal headache there was in addition release of the parasympathetic ..
- [Stimulation of the occipital nerve in the treatment of drug-resistant cluster headache]Cristian de Quintana-Schmidt
Servicio de Neurocirugia, Hospital de la Santa Creu i Sant Pau, 08025 Barcelona, Espana
Rev Neurol 51:19-26. 2010To evaluate the occipital nerve stimulation therapy in as a treatment for drug-resistant cluster headache.
- Peripheral neurostimulation for the treatment of refractory cluster headache, long-term follow-up: case reportAntonios Mammis
Department of Neurosurgery, Cushing Neuroscience Institutes, Hofstra University School of Medicine and North Shore University Hospital, Manhasset, New York, USA
Neuromodulation 14:432-5; discussion 435. 2011b>Cluster headache is a headache syndrome characterized by periodic episodes of intense headache with spontaneous remission...
- Valsalva-induced cluster headacheBrian E McGeeney
Department of Neurology, Boston University School of Medicine, Boston, MA, USA
J Headache Pain 7:416-8. 2006A case valsalva-induced cluster headache is presented. Cluster attacks induced by valsalva manoeuvres alone were only recently described, and such patients have features of cough headache and cluster headache...
- Dental presentations of cluster headachesSheldon G Gross
Connecticut Center for Oral and Facial Pain, One Northwestern Drive, Bloomfield, CT 06002, USA
Curr Pain Headache Rep 10:126-9. 2006b>Cluster headache has been defined by the International Headache Society (IHS) as one of the primary headaches. A primary headache is a headache that has no other known cause, such as infection or trauma...
- The treatment of cluster headache with repetitive intravenous dihydroergotamineP J Mather
Department of Medicine, Temple University Hospital, Philadelphia, PA
Headache 31:525-32. 1991We reviewed our experience with 54 cluster headache patients (23 episodic, 31 chronic) admitted to our headache center 64 tines over the past five years and treated with repetitive intravenous dihydroergotamine (IV DHE)...
- The role of nitric oxide (NO) in migraine, tension-type headache and cluster headacheJes Olesen
University of Copenhagen, Department of Neurology, Glostrup Hospital, Ndr Ringvej 57, DK 2600 Glostrup, Copenhagen, Denmark
Pharmacol Ther 120:157-71. 2008..e. independent disorders that are not caused by another disease) are migraine, tension-type headache and cluster headache. All primary headaches are in need of better treatments...
- Occipital nerve stimulation for chronic cluster headache and hemicrania continua: pain relief and persistence of autonomic featuresT J Schwedt
Mayo Clinic College of Medicine, Scottsdale, AZ 85259, USA
Cephalalgia 26:1025-7. 2006
- Burden of cluster headacheR M Jensen
Danish Headache Centre, Department of Neurology, University of Copenhagen, Glostrup Hospital, Glostrup, Denmark
Cephalalgia 27:535-41. 2007The aim was to analyse the socioeconomic burden of cluster headache in patients from a tertiary headache centre...
- Treatment of intractable chronic cluster headache by occipital nerve stimulation in 14 patientsBrian Burns
Headache Group, Department of Neurology, University of California San Francisco, San Francisco, CA 19143 0114, USA
Neurology 72:341-5. 2009b>Cluster headache is a primary headache involving repeated attacks of excruciatingly severe headache usually occurring several times a day...
- Cluster headache prevalence in the Italian general populationPaola Torelli
Headache Center, Section of Neurology, Department of Neuroscience, University of Parma, Italy
Neurology 64:469-74. 2005Prevalence of cluster headache (CH) is estimated at 56 to 69 per 100,000.
- Altered metabolism in frontal brain circuits in cluster headacheT Sprenger
Department of Neurology, Klinikum rechts der Isaar, Technische Universitat Munchen, Munich, Germany
Cephalalgia 27:1033-42. 2007Neuroimaging studies have explored cerebral activation patterns in patients with cluster headache (CH) during attacks and have revealed activation of multiple brain areas known to belong to the general pain-processing network...
- Topiramate in the prophylactic treatment of cluster headacheMiguel J A Láinez
Department of Neurology, Hospital Clinico Universitario, Universidad de Valencia, Avenida Blasco Ibañez 17, 46 010 Valencia, Spain
Headache 43:784-9. 2003The role of topiramate in the prophylactic treatment of cluster headache is still unclear. The aim of this study was to evaluate the effectiveness of topiramate in a group of patients with refractory episodic or chronic cluster headache.
- Hypothalamic deep brain stimulation in positron emission tomographyArne May
Department of Systems Neuroscience, University of Hamburg, D 20246 Hamburg, Germany
J Neurosci 26:3589-93. 2006Recently, functional imaging data have underscored the crucial role the hypothalamus plays in cluster headache, one of the most severe forms of primary headache. This prompted the application of hypothalamic deep brain stimulation...
- Cluster headache is associated with the G1246A polymorphism in the hypocretin receptor 2 geneM Schurks
Department of Neurology, University Hospital Essen, Hufelandstrasse 55, 45122 Essen, Germany
Neurology 66:1917-9. 2006The G1246A polymorphism in the gene of the hypocretin receptor 2 (HCRTR2) has been linked to the risk for cluster headache (CH). The authors examined this association in a large sample of 226 patients with CH and 266 controls from Germany...
- High-flow oxygen for treatment of cluster headache: a randomized trialAnna S Cohen
Headache Group, Institute of Neurology, The National Hospital for Neurology and Neurosurgery, Queen Square London, England
JAMA 302:2451-7. 2009b>Cluster headache is an excruciatingly painful primary headache syndrome, with attacks of unilateral pain and cranial autonomic symptoms. The current licensed treatment for acute attacks is subcutaneous sumatriptan.
- A negative trial of sodium valproate in cluster headache: methodological issuesM El Amrani
Service de Neurologie, Hopital Lariboisiere, Paris, France
Cephalalgia 22:205-8. 2002..of a double-blind placebo controlled study of sodium valproate (SV) (1000-2000 mg/day) in the prophylaxis of cluster headache CH. Episodic and chronic CH were defined according to the International Headache Society classification...
- Chronic cluster headache: a French clinical descriptive studyA Donnet
Department of Neurology, Clinical Neuroscience Federation, La Timone Hospital, Marseille, France
J Neurol Neurosurg Psychiatry 78:1354-8. 2007b>Cluster headache (CH) is a relatively rare disease and episodic CH is more frequent than chronic CH. Few studies have described the characteristics of patients with chronic CH.
- Single high-dose steroid treatment in episodic cluster headacheF Antonaci
Department of Neurological Sciences, IRCCS C Mondino, University of Pavia, 27100 Pavia, Italy
Cephalalgia 25:290-5. 2005Corticosteroids appear to be the most rapid-acting of the prophylactic drugs used in the treatment of cluster headache (CH). These agents are frequently employed as a short-term regimen to induce clinical remission...
- A polymorphism of the hypocretin receptor 2 gene is associated with cluster headacheI Rainero
Neurology III Headache Center, Department of Neuroscience, University of Turin, Via Cherasco 15 10126 Turin, Italy
Neurology 63:1286-8. 2004Several polymorphisms of the hypocretin/orexin system genes were evaluated in 109 cluster headache patients and 211 controls. The 1246 G>A polymorphism of the gene was significantly different between cases and controls...
- Outcome of trigeminal nerve section in the treatment of chronic cluster headacheR G Jarrar
Departments of Neurology, Mayo Clinic, Rochester, MN, USA
Neurology 60:1360-2. 2003Chronic cluster headache accounts for 10 to 15% of all patients with cluster headache and is often resistant to medical management...
- Acute and preventive pharmacologic treatment of cluster headacheGeorge J Francis
Department of Clinical Neurosciences, University of Calgary, Calgary, Alberta, T3B 6A8, Canada
Neurology 75:463-73. 2010b>Cluster headache (CH) is a rare and disabling primary headache disorder. CH attacks are unilateral, short, severe headaches associated with ipsilateral autonomic symptoms that occur in a periodic fashion...
- Zolmitriptan nasal spray in the acute treatment of cluster headache: a meta-analysis of two studiesCecilia Hedlund
Department of Statistics and Informatics AstraZeneca R and D, Sodertalje, Sweden
Headache 49:1315-23. 2009To conduct an individual subject meta-analysis of available controlled studies of zolmitriptan nasal spray in the acute treatment of cluster headache.
- Success, failure, and putative mechanisms in hypothalamic stimulation for drug-resistant chronic cluster headacheMassimo Leone
Department of Neurology, Headache Centre and Pain Neuromodulation Unit, Fondazione Istituto Nazionale Neurologico Carlo Besta, Milano, Italy
Pain 154:89-94. 2013Drug-resistant chronic cluster headache (CH) is an unremitting illness with excruciatingly severe headaches that occur several times daily...
- Cluster headache with auraTodd D Rozen
Geisinger Specialty Clinic, MC 37 31, 1000 East Mountain Drive, Wilkes Barre, PA 18711, USA
Curr Pain Headache Rep 15:98-100. 2011Aura was not recognized as a clinical symptom of cluster headache until fairly recently, but studies now have indicated that upwards of 20% of patients with cluster headache may have aura, the same percentage of migraine sufferers who ..
- Management of cluster headachePeer C Tfelt-Hansen
Danish Headache Center, Department of Neurology, University of Copenhagen, Glostrup Hospital, Glostrup, Denmark
CNS Drugs 26:571-80. 2012The prevalence of cluster headache is 0.1% and cluster headache is often not diagnosed or misdiagnosed as migraine or sinusitis...
- Treatment of cluster headache attacks with less than 6 mg subcutaneous sumatriptanNora Gregor
Department of Neurology, University of Munster, Germany
Headache 45:1069-72. 2005Subcutaneous (SQ) sumatriptan 6 mg is effective in the treatment of acute cluster headache attacks. However, patients sometimes benefit from a dose less than 6 mg.
- Investigation into sleep disturbance of patients suffering from cluster headacheM E Nobre
Department of Neurology, Universidade Federal Fluminense, Niteroi, Brazil
Cephalalgia 25:488-92. 2005The new discoveries relating to cluster headache (CH) encouraged the study of the relationship of the hypothalamus to respiratory physiology and its comorbidity with sleep apnoea...
- Clusterlike headache in a patient with a pituitary adenoma. With a review of the literatureP Milos
Department of Neurology, , Sweden
Headache 36:184-8. 1996..On pharmacological testing of the pupillary response to 1% and 5% phenylephrine and 2% tyramine solutions, there was no convincing evidence of persistent sympathetic dysfunction on the earlier symptomatic side...
- Valproate semisodium ER for migraine and cluster headache prophylaxisBrigitte V Lovell
Thomas Jefferson University, Department of Neurology, 111 South 11th Street, Suite 8130 Gibbon Building, Philadelphia, PA 19107, USA
Expert Opin Drug Metab Toxicol 6:495-504. 2010Migraine and cluster headache (CH) are disabling syndromes that often require prophylactic treatment. Valproate semisodium ER (VPS ER) is FDA-approved for the treatment of epilepsy, acute mania in bipolar disorder and migraine prophylaxis.
- Neurostimulation in chronic cluster headacheDelphine Magis
Curr Pain Headache Rep 12:145-53. 2008About 1% of all chronic cluster headache patients become intractable (iCCH; ie, they are refractory to adequate regimens of all established preventive drugs)...
- Age of onset in cluster headache: the clinical spectrum (three case reports)S Evers
Cephalalgia 22:160-2. 2002
- Antihistamine responsive cluster headache in a teenaged girlD Neubauer
Department of Child Neurology, University Children's Hospital, Ljubljana, Slovenia
Headache 37:296-8. 1997Episodic cluster headache is a well-recognized entity usually starting in the second decade of life. Uncommonly, the first typical symptoms may present in the first decade of life, but are rarely recognized as such during childhood...
- Antiepileptic drugs in the management of cluster headache and trigeminal neuralgiaT D Rozen
Department of Neurology, Jefferson Medical College, Thomas Jefferson University Hospital, Jefferson Headache Center, Philadelphia, PA, USA
Headache 41:S25-32. 2001b>Cluster headache and trigeminal neuralgia are relatively rare but debilitating neurologic conditions...
- Intranasal medications for the treatment of migraine and cluster headacheAlan M Rapoport
Columbia University College of Physicians and Surgeons, New York, NY, USA
CNS Drugs 18:671-85. 2004..and one experimental medication (civamide, a cis-isomer of capsaicin) for the treatment of migraine and cluster headache. Although the efficacy of intranasal agents varies with the product used, intranasal delivery may be both ..
- Age at onset and sex ratio in cluster headache: observations over three decadesK Ekbom
Department of Neurology at the Karolinska Institute, Huddinge University Hospital, Huddinge, Sweden
Cephalalgia 22:94-100. 2002Five hundred and fifty-four patients with episodic cluster headache (ECH) and chronic cluster headache (CCH) were examined between 1963 and 1997...
- Behavior during cluster headachePaola Torelli
Headache Center, Section of Neurology, Department of Neuroscience, University of Parma, Via Gramsci, 14, 43100 Parma, Italy
Curr Pain Headache Rep 9:113-9. 2005b>Cluster headache (CH), also known as "suicide headache," is characterized by a distinctive behavior during attacks. In 80% to 90% of cases, patients are restless and constantly moving in a vain attempt to relieve pain...
- Verapamil for cluster headache. Clinical pharmacology and possible mode of actionPeer Tfelt-Hansen
Danish Headache Centre, Department of Neurology, University of Copenhagen, Glostrup Hospital, Glostrup, Denmark
Headache 49:117-25. 2009..High-dose verapamil (360-720 mg) is, however, currently the mainstay in the prophylactic treatment of cluster headache. The oral pharmacokinetics are variable...
- Cluster headache: evidence for a disorder of circadian rhythm and hypothalamic functionTamara Pringsheim
Department of Neurology, University of Toronto, ON, Canada
Can J Neurol Sci 29:33-40. 2002..This article reviews the literature for evidence of a disorder of circadian rhythm and hypothalamic function in cluster headache. Cluster headache exhibits diurnal and seasonal rhythmicity...
- Interictal pain in cluster headacheMichael J Marmura
Thomas Jefferson University, Philadelphia, PA, USA
Cephalalgia 30:1531-4. 2010b>Cluster headache is characterized by severe attacks of unilateral pain, but many patients experience symptoms more commonly associated with migraine such as persistent pain.
- Connectivity of an effective hypothalamic surgical target for cluster headacheS L F Owen
University Laboratory of Physiology, University of Oxford, Oxford, UK
J Clin Neurosci 14:955-60. 2007..In a patient with chronic cluster headache we implanted a deep brain stimulating electrode into the ipsilateral postero-medial hypothalamus to ..
- Prevalence of patent foramen ovale in a large series of patients with migraine with aura, migraine without aura and cluster headache, and relationship with clinical phenotypeGiorgio Dalla Volta
Neurologia, Istituto Clinico Città di Brescia, Brescia, Italy
J Headache Pain 6:328-30. 2005..patients with migraine with aura (MA+), 74 patients with migraine without aura (MA-), and 38 patients with cluster headache (CH). One-hundred-sixty-one MA+subjects (61.9%), 12 MA-subjects (16.2%), and 14 CH-subjects (36...
- PALLIDAL PHYSIOLOGY IN HUMAN AND PRIMATE DYSTONIAPHILIP STARR; Fiscal Year: 2005..Development of an animal model in a large nonhuman primate will open the possibility for further detailed investigations of basal ganglia physiology in dystonia, beyond those which are possible during human surgery. ..
- Hypothalamic Deep Brain Stimulation for Morbid Obesity:Development of a Pig ModelWilliam P Melega; Fiscal Year: 2010..g., Parkinson's disease, epilepsy, cluster headache)...
- MODULATORY ROLE OF GABA AND 5HT RECEPTORS IN MIGRAINEF Cutrer; Fiscal Year: 1999Despite the fact that vascular head pain including migraine and cluster headache afflicts up to 15% of the population and inflicts significant suffering and economic loss, its pathophysiology and mechanism of treatment remain obscure...
- SEROTONIN 1B AND 1D RECEPTORS IN HEAD PAINSonja Potrebic; Fiscal Year: 2003..A clinical study will test the proposed selectivity of 5HT1B/1D agonists for migraine and cluster headache.
- DBS Effects on Mood and Cognition in Parkinsons DiseaseMichael Okun; Fiscal Year: 2007..This proposal includes active and experienced mentoring, access to diverse resources, and a scientific environment suited specifically for the development of the PI as an independent physician scientist. ..
- Outcome Measures in Idiopathic Intracranial HypertensionDeborah Friedman; Fiscal Year: 2008..Acquire the training, mentoring and experience necessary to conduct independent, funded clinical research in ophthalmologic and neurological disorders Obtain a Masters Degree in Public Health/Clinical Investigator track ..
- Automated Cognitive Assessment SystemNorman Gordon; Fiscal Year: 2004..abstract_text> ..