Genomes and Genes
unknown primary neoplasms
Summary: Metastases in which the tissue of origin is unknown.
Publications198 found, 100 shown here
- Epidemiology of unknown primary tumoursF Levi
Eur J Cancer 38:1810-2. 2002
- Diagnostic and therapeutic management of cancer of an unknown primaryN Pavlidis
University of Ioannina Hospital, Department of Medical Oncology, 451 10, Ioannina, Greece
Eur J Cancer 39:1990-2005. 2003..Empirical chemotherapy benefits some of the patients who do not fit into any favourable sub-set, and should be considered in patients with a good performance status...
- Cancer of unknown primary site: missing primary or missing biology?George Pentheroudakis
Department of Medical Oncology, Ioannina University Hospital, Ioannina, Greece
Oncologist 12:418-25. 2007..Confirmation of one of the two hypotheses would either improve primary disease-oriented therapy or develop CUP-oriented treatments targeting molecular aberrations that drive neoplastic growth/dissemination...
- Pathologic evaluation of unknown primary cancerKarin A Oien
Division of Cancer Sciences and Molecular Pathology, Faculty of Medicine, University of Glasgow, United Kingdom
Semin Oncol 36:8-37. 2009..Optimal tissue handling and IHC interpretation, quality assurance, and limitations also are discussed. The target readership is oncologists, but other clinicians and trainee pathologists also may find the content of use...
- Switching benchmarks in cancer of unknown primary: from autopsy to microarrayGeorge Pentheroudakis
Department of Medical Oncology, Ioannina University Hospital, Niarxou Avenue, 45500 Ioannina, Greece
Eur J Cancer 43:2026-36. 2007..We systematically reviewed all published evidence on the CUP primary site identified by two different approaches, either autopsy or microarray gene expression profiling...
- The role of 2-deoxy-2-[F-18]fluoro-D-glucose positron emission tomography in disseminated carcinoma of unknown primary sitePascal Seve
Department of Internal Medicine, Hotel Dieu, Hospices Civils de Lyon, Lyon, France
Cancer 109:292-9. 2007..The authors conducted a comprehensive review of the efficacy of 2-deoxy-2-[F-18]fluoro-D-glucose positron emission tomography (FDG-PET) in the detection of primary tumors in patients with disseminated carcinoma of unknown primary site...
- Clinical and immunohistochemical analysis of patients with unknown primary tumour. A search for prognostic factors in UPTAgnes J van de Wouw
Department of Internal Medicine, University Hospital, Maastricht, The Netherlands
Anticancer Res 24:297-301. 2004....
- The unknown biology of the unknown primary tumour: a literature reviewA J van de Wouw
Department of Internal Medicine, Slingeland Hospital Doetinchem, Doetinchem, The Netherlands
Ann Oncol 14:191-6. 2003..g. by applying newly available DNA and gene profiling microarray techniques, will be necessary to understand its specific biology and to develop more effective treatments...
- Taxane-based chemotherapy for patients with carcinoma of unknown primary siteF A Greco
Sarah Cannon Cancer Center, 250 25th Avenue, North, Suite 412, Nashville, Tennessee 37203-1632, USA
Cancer J 7:203-12. 2001..CONCLUSION: Taxane-based chemotherapy for patients with carcinoma of unknown primary site appears to be clinically beneficial and is associated with long-term survival for a minority of patients at 2-, 3-, and 4-year follow-up...
- Markers of adenocarcinoma characteristic of the site of origin: development of a diagnostic algorithmJayne L Dennis
Cancer Research UK Centre for Oncology and Applied Pharmacology, Beatson Laboratories, University of Glasgow, Garscube Estate, Switchback Road, Glasgow G61 1BD, United Kingdom
Clin Cancer Res 11:3766-72. 2005..Knowledge of the primary site is important for their management, but histologically, such tumors appear similar. Better diagnostic markers are needed to enable the assignment of metastases to likely sites of origin on pathologic samples...
- Combined FDG-PET/CT for the detection of unknown primary tumors: systematic review and meta-analysisThomas C Kwee
Department of Radiology, University Medical Center Utrecht, Utrecht, The Netherlands
Eur Radiol 19:731-44. 2009..In conclusion, FDG-PET/CT can be a useful method for unknown primary tumor detection. Future studies are required to prove the assumed advantage of FDG-PET/CT over FDG-PET alone and to further explore causes of heterogeneity...
- Forty years experience of treating cancer of unknown primaryNicholas Pavlidis
Department of Medical Oncology, School of Medicine, University of Ioannina, Ioannina, Greece
Acta Oncol 46:592-601. 2007..This review article provides both a historical outline of CUP treatment as well as a helpful therapeutic guide to every oncologist who treats CUP patients...
- Gene expression profiling to identify the histogenetic origin of metastatic adenocarcinomas of unknown primaryHugo M Horlings
Division of Pathology, The Netherlands Cancer Institute, Amsterdam, The Netherlands
J Clin Oncol 26:4435-41. 2008..Currently, the success rate of the diagnostic work-up is only 20% to 30%. Our goal was to evaluate the contribution of gene expression profiling for routine clinical practice in patients with ACUP...
- Phase II trial of carboplatin, gemcitabine, and capecitabine in patients with carcinoma of unknown primary siteBryan J Schneider
Division of Hematology Oncology, Department of Internal Medicine, University of Michigan, Ann Arbor, MI 48109 0848, USA
Cancer 110:770-5. 2007..The purposes of this study were to evaluate efficacy and toxicity of the combination of carboplatin, gemcitabine, and capecitabine in patients with carcinoma of unknown primary site (CUP)...
- Carcinoma of unknown primary siteF A Greco
Sarah Cannon Minnie Pearl Cancer Center, Centennial Medical Center, Nashville, TN 36203, USA
Cancer 89:2655-60. 2000....
- FDG PET and PET/CT for the detection of the primary tumour in patients with cervical non-squamous cell carcinoma metastasis of an unknown primaryStefan A M Paul
Interne Klinik Dr Argirov, Kempfenhausen am Starnberger See, Muenchner Strasse 23 29, 82335, Berg, Germany
Eur Arch Otorhinolaryngol 264:189-95. 2007....
- Whole body 18F-FDG PET/CT imaging in the detection of primary tumours in patients with a metastatic carcinoma of unknown originAli Osman Kaya
Gazi University, School of Medicine, Department of Medical Oncology, Turkey
Asian Pac J Cancer Prev 9:683-6. 2008..The aim of this study was to evaluate the role of whole body 18F-FDG PET/CT imaging in the detection of primary tumors in patients with a metastatic cancer from an unknown primary site...
- An expression-based site of origin diagnostic method designed for clinical application to cancer of unknown originRichard W Tothill
Ian Potter Centre for Cancer Genomics and Predictive Medicine, Department of Haematology and Medical Oncology, Peter MacCallum Cancer Centre, St Andrew s Place, East Melbourne, Victoria, Australia
Cancer Res 65:4031-40. 2005..We show that the microarray SVM classifier was capable of making high confidence predictions in 11 of 13 cases. These predictions were supported by comprehensive review of the patients' clinical histories...
- A quantitative reverse transcriptase-polymerase chain reaction assay to identify metastatic carcinoma tissue of originDimitri Talantov
Veridex LLC, 33 Technology Dr, Warren, NJ 07059, USA
J Mol Diagn 8:320-9. 2006..Lastly, our assay demonstrated an accuracy of 76% when tested on an independent set of 48 metastatic samples, 37 of which were either a known primary or initially presented as carcinoma of unknown primary but were subsequently resolved...
- Carboplatin, doxorubicin and etoposide in the treatment of tumours of unknown primary siteA Piga
Department of Medical Oncology, University of Ancona, Italy
Br J Cancer 90:1898-904. 2004..Efforts should therefore be addressed to identify predictors of response to chemotherapy, thus limiting aggressive treatment to those patients who could benefit from it...
- Combination chemotherapy with gemcitabine and irinotecan in patients with previously treated carcinoma of an unknown primary site: a Minnie Pearl Cancer Research Network Phase II trialJohn D Hainsworth
Sarah Cannon Research Institute and Tennessee Oncology, PLLC, Nashville, Tennessee 37203, USA
Cancer 104:1992-7. 2005..The current study was performed to evaluate the activity of combination chemotherapy with gemcitabine and irinotecan in patients with previously treated carcinoma of an unknown primary site...
- Unknown primary tumors: detection with dual-modality PET/CT--initial experienceAndreas Gutzeit
Department of Diagnostic and Interventional Radiology, University Hospital of Essen, Hufelandstrasse 55, 45122 Essen, Germany
Radiology 234:227-34. 2005..To retrospectively evaluate fused positron emission tomography (PET)/computed tomography (CT) in depicting the primary lesion in cancer of an unknown primary tumor, compared with PET, CT, and PET and CT side-by-side evaluation...
- Alternative bimonthly cycles of doxorubicin, cyclophosphamide, and etoposide, cisplatin with hematopoietic growth factor support in patients with carcinoma of unknown primary siteStephane Culine
Centre Regional de Lutte contre le Cancer Val d Aurelle, Montpellier, France
Cancer 94:840-6. 2002....
- Molecular profiling of a tumor of unknown originGustavo Ismael
N Engl J Med 355:1071-2. 2006
- Gemcitabine and carboplatin in carcinoma of unknown primary site: a phase 2 Adelaide Cancer Trials and Education Collaborative studyK B Pittman
Department of Oncology, The Queen Elizabeth Hospital, Woodville Road, Woodville, South Australia, Australia
Br J Cancer 95:1309-13. 2006..The regimen was very well tolerated, particularly in the elderly. The GC regimen is an active regimen in CUP with excellent tolerability and should be considered particularly for elderly patients with CUP...
- Gemcitabine and docetaxel as front-line chemotherapy in patients with carcinoma of an unknown primary siteDamien Pouessel
Department of Medical Oncology, Centre Regional de Lutte contre le Cancer Val d Aurelle, Montpellier, France
Cancer 100:1257-61. 2004..The current study was performed to evaluate the efficacy and toxicity of a noncisplatin-based chemotherapy regimen combining gemcitabine and docetaxel as front-line chemotherapy for patients with carcinoma of an unknown primary site...
- A phase II study of carboplatin and paclitaxel in adenocarcinoma of unknown primaryBasil F El-Rayes
Karmanos Cancer Institute, Wayne State University, Detroit, Michigan 48201, USA
Am J Clin Oncol 28:152-6. 2005..This study was conducted to evaluate the efficacy and toxicity of combination carboplatin and paclitaxel in patients with adenocarcinoma of unknown primary site (ACUP)...
- Cancer of unknown primary site: review of consecutive cases at the National Cancer Center Hospital of JapanSatomi Yakushiji
Breast and Medical Oncology Division, Department of Medical Oncology, National Cancer Center Hospital, 1 1 Tsukiji 5 chome, Chuo Ku, Tokyo 104 0045, Japan
Int J Clin Oncol 11:421-5. 2006..Cancer of unknown primary (CUP) is not a rare clinical entity, accounting for 3%-5% of all solid malignancies...
- Identification from public data of molecular markers of adenocarcinoma characteristic of the site of originJayne L Dennis
Cancer Research UK Department of Medical Oncology, University of Glasgow, Cancer Research UK Beatson Laboratories, Scotland, United Kingdom
Cancer Res 62:5999-6005. 2002..Analysis of public gene expression data sets is a powerful method for the identification of clinically relevant tumor markers...
- Localised disease in cancer of unknown primary (CUP): the value of positron emission tomography (PET) for individual therapeutic managementD Rades
Department of Radiation Oncology, Hannover Medical College, Germany
Ann Oncol 12:1605-9. 2001..After conservative diagnostic procedures including MRI, the primary is detected in less than 25%. The diagnostic value of PET and its influence on therapeutic strategies was evaluated...
- Unknown primary carcinoma: a feasibility assessment of combination chemotherapy with cisplatin and docetaxelHirofumi Mukai
Department of Medical Oncology, National Cancer Center Hospital, 5 5 1 Tsukiji, Chuo Ku, Tokyo 104 0045, Japan
Int J Clin Oncol 8:23-5. 2003..We examined the feasibility of using a combination of docetaxel and cisplatin for the treatment of unknown primary carcinoma in order to prepare a larger scale prospective study...
- CUP (carcinoma of unknown primary) syndrome in head and neck: clinic, diagnostic, and therapyA Weber
Klinik für Hals Nasen Ohren Heilkunde Plastische Operationen, Universitat Leipzig
Onkologie 24:38-43. 2001..Between 70 and 80% of the found primary tumors are located in the head and neck region, because cervical lymph nodes represent the lymph drainage of the head and neck...
- Diagnostic strategies for unknown primary cancerGauri R Varadhachary
Department of Gastrointestinal Medical Oncology, University of Texas M D Anderson Cancer Center, Houston, Texas 77030 4009, USA
Cancer 100:1776-85. 2004..The authors discuss the role of histochemical markers in the diagnosis of UPC and the most recent data regarding the use of imaging and invasive diagnostic modalities and gene expression profiles...
- Cisplatin in combination with either gemcitabine or irinotecan in carcinomas of unknown primary site: results of a randomized phase II study--trial for the French Study Group on Carcinomas of Unknown Primary (GEFCAPI 01)Stephane Culine
Department of Medical Oncology, Centre Regional de Lutte Contre le Cancer, Val d Aurelle, Parc Euromedecine, 34298 Montpellier Cedex 5, France
J Clin Oncol 21:3479-82. 2003..To evaluate the efficacy and toxicity of novel chemotherapy combinations including cisplatin with gemcitabine (GC) or irinotecan (IC) for patients with carcinomas of an unknown primary site...
- Carcinoma of unknown primary site: sequential treatment with paclitaxel/carboplatin/etoposide and gemcitabine/irinotecan: a Minnie Pearl Cancer Research Network phase II trialF Anthony Greco
Sarah Cannon Cancer Center, 250 25th Avenue North, Suite 110, Nashville, Tennessee 37203, USA
Oncologist 9:644-52. 2004....
- Gene expression profiling may improve diagnosis in patients with carcinoma of unknown primaryJ Bridgewater
University College London Cancer Institute, London WC1E 6DD, UK
Br J Cancer 98:1425-30. 2008..We propose that GEM diagnosis be considered when the primary clinical algorithm has failed to provide a diagnosis...
- A phase II study of paclitaxel plus cisplatin chemotherapy in an unfavourable group of patients with cancer of unknown primary siteYeon Hee Park
Department of Internal Medicine, Korea Institute of Radiological and Medical Sciences, Seoul, Korea
Jpn J Clin Oncol 34:681-5. 2004..Efficacy was evaluated in terms of response rate, progression-free survival and overall survival...
- Gemcitabine in the second-line therapy of patients with carcinoma of unknown primary site: a phase II trial of the Minnie Pearl Cancer Research NetworkJ D Hainsworth
Sarah Cannon Minnie Pearl Cancer Center, Centennial Medical Center, Nashville, Tennessee, USA
Cancer Invest 19:335-9. 2001..Because gemcitabine has activity against a variety of adenocarcinomas, further evaluation of this agent as part of first-line therapy for patients with carcinoma of unknown primary site is appropriate...
- Phase II trial of bevacizumab and erlotinib in carcinomas of unknown primary site: the Minnie Pearl Cancer Research NetworkJohn D Hainsworth
Sarah Cannon Research Institute, Nashville, TN 37203, USA
J Clin Oncol 25:1747-52. 2007..We therefore have evaluated the efficacy and toxicity of this combination in patients with CUP...
- Cancers of unknown primary site: ESMO clinical recommendation for diagnosis, treatment and follow-upE Briasoulis
Department of Medical Oncology, University of Ioannina, Ioannina Ipiros, Greece
Ann Oncol 19:ii106-7. 2008
- Multicenter phase-II trial of irinotecan plus oxaliplatin [IROX regimen] in patients with poor-prognosis cancer of unknown primary: a hellenic cooperative oncology group studyE Briasoulis
Ioannina University Hospital, Ioannina, Greece
Cancer Chemother Pharmacol 62:277-84. 2008..We evaluated the irinotecan-oxaliplatin combination (IROX regimen) in previously untreated patients with non-favorable subsets of unknown primary carcinomas...
- In search of an unknown primary tumour presenting with cervical metastases: performance of hybrid FDG-PET-CTMyriam Wartski
Nuclear Medicine Department of Cancer Research Center Rene Huguenin, Saint Cloud, France
Nucl Med Commun 28:365-71. 2007....
- Carcinoma of unknown primary (CUP)Nicholas Pavlidis
School of Medicine, Department of Medical Oncology, University of Ioannina, P O Box 1186, 451 10 Ioannina, Greece
Crit Rev Oncol Hematol 69:271-8. 2009..Patients who belong to the non-favourable sub-sets have a worse prognosis...
- Molecular profiling of carcinoma of unknown primary and correlation with clinical evaluationGauri R Varadhachary
Department of Gastrointestinal Medical Oncology, The University of Texas MD Anderson Cancer Center, Houston, TX, USA
J Clin Oncol 26:4442-8. 2008..To evaluate the feasibility of a 10-gene reverse transcriptase polymerase chain reaction assay to identify the tissue of origin in patients with carcinoma of unknown primary (CUP) site...
- 18F-FDG PET/CT in the assessment of carcinoma of unknown primary originV Ambrosini
Unità Operativa di Medicina Nucleare, Padiglione 30, Policlinico S Orsola Malpighi, Via Massarenti 9, I 40138, Bologna, Italy
Radiol Med 111:1146-55. 2006..The aim of this study was to assess the role of 18F-fluorodeoxyglucose (FDG) PET/computed tomography (CT) in the identification of occult primary cancers...
- Utility of combined (18)F-fluorodeoxyglucose-positron emission tomography and computed tomography in patients with cervical metastases from unknown primary tumorsJong Lyel Roh
Department of Otolaryngology, Asan Medical Center, University of Ulsan College of Medicine, Seoul, Republic of Korea
Oral Oncol 45:218-24. 2009..8% vs. 96.5%). FDG-PET/CT correctly detected distant metastases in 6 of 6 patients. Combined FDG-PET/CT is a useful screening method for primary tumor detection, accurate nodal staging, and distant metastases in patients with CUPs...
- Dual modality of 18F-fluorodeoxyglucose-positron emission tomography/computed tomography in patients with cervical carcinoma of unknown primaryLutz S Freudenberg
Clinic of Nuclear Medicine, University Hospital Essen, Essen, Germany
Med Princ Pract 14:155-60. 2005....
- The value of postmortem examination in cases of metastasis of unknown origin-20-year retrospective data from a tertiary care centerNabeel Al-Brahim
Department of Pathology and Molecular Medicine, McMaster University, Hamilton, Ontario, Canada
Ann Diagn Pathol 9:77-80. 2005..To evaluate the value of autopsy in determining the primary site of MUO, this study reviewed the Hamilton experience-over the last 20 years-with patients autopsied with clinical diagnosis of MUO...
- FDG-PET in the clinical management of carcinoma of unknown primary with metastatic cervical lymphadenopathy: shifting gears from detecting the primary to planning therapeutic strategiesSandip Basu
Eur J Nucl Med Mol Imaging 34:427-8. 2007
- Cancer of unknown primary origin: a decade of experience in a community-based hospitalJose M Pimiento
Department of Surgery, Saint Mary s Health System, 56 Franklin St, Waterbury, CT 06702, USA
Am J Surg 194:833-7; discussion 837-8. 2007..Cancer of unknown primary (CUP) origin is a very aggressive disease with a poor prognosis. Most of the literature reports of CUP are generated from tertiary cancer centers...
- Role of 18F-FDG PET-CT imaging for the detection of an unknown primary tumour: preliminary results in 21 patientsC Nanni
Nuclear Medicine Service PET Unit, S Orsola Malpighi Bologna Hospital, Bologna, Italy
Eur J Nucl Med Mol Imaging 32:589-92. 2005..The aim of this study was to evaluate the potential additional diagnostic role of fused 18F-FDG PET-CT imaging for the detection of metastatic occult primary tumours...
- Carcinoma of unknown primary with a colon-cancer profile-changing paradigm and emerging definitionsGauri R Varadhachary
Department of Gastrointestinal Medical Oncology, University of Texas, MD Anderson Cancer Center, Houston, TX 77030 4009, USA
Lancet Oncol 9:596-9. 2008..In the era of molecular profiling, we expect that additional work with CCP-CUP and other CUP subsets will provide attractive tailored treatment alternatives, with efficacies that exceed the current one-treatment-fits-all approach...
- Prognostic and diagnostic accuracy of [18F]FDG-PET/CT in 190 patients with carcinoma of unknown primaryPavel Fencl
PET Center, Na Homolce Hospital, Roentgenova 2, 150 30 Prague 5, Czech Republic
Eur J Nucl Med Mol Imaging 34:1783-92. 2007..The aim of the study was to determine the accuracy of [(18)F]fluorodeoxyglucose (FDG) PET/CT in the search for the primary and the presence of a malignancy. The prognostic value of FDG-PET/CT information was tested...
- Molecular classification of unknown primary cancerRichard A Bender
Agendia, Inc, Huntington Beach, CA 92647, USA
Semin Oncol 36:38-43. 2009..The genomic classification is then available to the pathologist and clinician to aid in both the patient's diagnosis and treatment planning. The impact of this new technology on patient outcomes is currently under study...
- Management of the unknown primary carcinoma: long-term follow-up on a negative PET scan and negative panendoscopyFrank R Miller
Department of Otolaryngology HNS, University of Texas Health Science Center San Antonio, 7703 Floyd Curl Dr, San Antonio, Texas 78229
Head Neck 30:28-34. 2008..More recently, positron emission tomography (PET) has been advocated as a tool to detect primary tumors...
- Carcinoma of an unknown primary: are EGF receptor, Her-2/neu, and c-Kit tyrosine kinases potential targets for therapy?C Massard
Department of Medicine, Institut Gustave Roussy, 39 rue Camille Desmoulins, Villejuif 94805, France
Br J Cancer 97:857-61. 2007..This finding may prompt clinical trials investigating EGFR inhibitors in this setting. In contrast, c-Kit expression and Her-2/neu overexpression occur infrequently in CUP. EGFR expression was correlated to tumour chemosensitivity...
- Low serum albumin levels and liver metastasis are powerful prognostic markers for survival in patients with carcinomas of unknown primary sitePascal Seve
Department of Internal Medicine, Hotel Dieu, Hospices Civils de Lyon, Lyon, France
Cancer 107:2698-705. 2006..The authors investigated how lymphopenia and low serum albumin levels correlate with the prognosis of patients with carcinoma of unknown primary (CUP)...
- [Contribution of 18-F-FDG PET for detection of head and neck carcinomas with an unknown primary tumor]N Fakhry
Service d ORL et de Chirurgie Cervico Faciale du Professeur Zanaret, CHU La Timone, 264, rue Saint Pierre, 13385 Marseille Cedex 05
Ann Otolaryngol Chir Cervicofac 123:17-25. 2006..To evaluate the usefulness of fusioning positron emission tomography with computed tomography (PET/CT) for the detection of head and neck carcinomas of unknown primary...
- Role of whole body positron emission tomography/computed tomography scan with 18F-fluorodeoxyglucose in patients with biopsy proven tumor metastases from unknown primary siteE Pelosi
University Nuclear Medicine Service, ASO S Giovanni Battista, Turin, Italy
Q J Nucl Med Mol Imaging 50:15-22. 2006..The aim of this study was to evaluate the role of whole body PET/CT scan with (18)F-fluorodeoxyglucose (FDG) in the detection of the primary tumor in patients with metastatic cancer from unknown primary origin (CUP syndrome)...
- [The integrated PET/CT: technological advance in diagnostics of head and neck recurrencies and CUP?]K Schneider
Klinik für Hals Nasen Ohren Krankheiten, Plastische Operationen, Klinikum Stuttgart, Katharinenhospital
Laryngorhinootologie 85:179-83. 2006..The correlation of FDG hypermetabolism and anatomical structures is now provided by a new technology which is integrating PET and CT: Integrated PET/CT represents a new technical development, which combines the advantages of CT and PET...
- [Significance of PET and integrated PET/CT in the diagnostics of occult primary tumors]K Schneider
Klinik für Hals Nasen Ohren Krankheiten, Plastische Operationen, Klinikum Stuttgart, Katharinenhospital
Laryngorhinootologie 85:819-23. 2006..This retrospective study shows 47 patients with neck metastases where PET or PET/CT helped to detect primary tumor site...
- Breast MR imaging in patients with axillary node metastases and unknown primary malignancyS G Orel
Department of Radiology, University of Pennsylvania Medical Center, Philadelphia 19104, USA
Radiology 212:543-9. 1999..To assess the usefulness of magnetic resonance (MR) imaging of the breast in patients with malignant axillary adenopathy and unknown primary malignancy...
- Epidemiology of unknown primary tumours; incidence and population-based survival of 1285 patients in Southeast Netherlands, 1984-1992A J van de Wouw
Department of Internal Medicine, Slingeland Hospital Doetinchem, The Netherlands
Eur J Cancer 38:409-13. 2002..In conclusion, we have demonstrated in a population-based study that the prognosis for patients with UPT is more unfavourable than suggested in most clinical studies...
- [PET/CT imaging in head and neck tumors]R Rödel
Klinik und Poliklinik fur Nuklearmedizin, Universitatsklinikum Bonn
Radiologe 44:1055-9. 2004..To evaluate the usefulness of combined PET/CT examinations for detection of malignant tumors and their metastases in head and neck oncology...
- Gemcitabine, carboplatin, and paclitaxel for patients with carcinoma of unknown primary site: a Minnie Pearl Cancer Research Network studyF Anthony Greco
Sarah Cannon Cancer Center and Tennessee Oncology, Professional Limited Liability Corporation, Centennial Medical Center, Nashville, TN 37203, USA
J Clin Oncol 20:1651-6. 2002..To evaluate the efficacy and toxicity of the novel chemotherapy combination that includes gemcitabine, carboplatin, and paclitaxel in the treatment of patients with carcinoma of unknown primary site...
- Diagnostic strategies in cervical carcinoma of an unknown primary (CUP)Inge Haas
Department of Otorhinolaryngology, Head and Neck Surgery, University Hospital, Heinrich Heine University, Moorenstrasse 5, 40225 Dusseldorf, Germany
Eur Arch Otorhinolaryngol 259:325-33. 2002..In patients with cervical CUP, blind but systematic pharyngeal biopsies, including bilateral tonsillectomy, should be performed...
- Cytogenetic profile of unknown primary tumors: clues for their pathogenesis and clinical managementDimitra Pantou
Department of Genetics, G Papanikolaou Research Center, Saint Savas Regional Oncological Hospital of Athens, Athens, Greece
Neoplasia 5:23-31. 2003....
- Meta-analysis of the performance of 18F-FDG PET in primary tumor detection in unknown primary tumorsRoberto C Delgado-Bolton
Department of Nuclear Medicine, Hospital Clinico San Carlos, c o Prof Martín Lagos s n, Madrid 18040, Spain
J Nucl Med 44:1301-14. 2003..The aim of this study was to perform a meta-analysis of the literature to evaluate the accuracy of (18)F-FDG PET in primary tumor detection in patients with UPT...
- Development and validation of a prognostic model to predict the length of survival in patients with carcinomas of an unknown primary siteStephane Culine
Centre Regional de Lutte contre le Cancer Val d Aurelle, Montpellier, France
J Clin Oncol 20:4679-83. 2002..To identify clinical and biologic variables with significant impact on survival in patients with carcinomas of an unknown primary site and to develop a simple prognostic model for the selection of patients in prospective clinical trials...
- Management and outcome of cervical lymph node metastases of unknown primary sites: a retrospective studyY Yalin
Department of Head and Neck Surgery, Cancer Institute, Chinese Academy of Medical Sciences, Peking Union Medical College, Beijing 1000021, PR China
Br J Oral Maxillofac Surg 40:484-7. 2002..For metastatic masses in the supraclavicular region, chemotherapy was the preferred treatment. The overall survival for the 107 patients who completed the follow up was 36%...
- Cancer of unknown primary: clinicopathologic correlationsHagen Blaszyk
Mayo Clinic and Foundation, Rochester, MN, USA
APMIS 111:1089-94. 2003..Our findings show that (1) autopsy studies provide a valuable tool for quality control in the setting of CUP, and (2) treated patients have a small but significant survival benefit...
- Neoplasms of unknown primary site: a clinicopathological study of autopsied patientsJ I Mayordomo
Department of Medical Oncology, 12 de Octubre University Hospital, Madrid, Spain
Tumori 79:321-4. 1993..4) Image tests were often misleading as regards the primary site, although they were useful to quantify the dissemination of the tumor...
- Neuroendocrine (Merkel cell) carcinoma in regional lymph nodes without primary siteEldad Silberstein
Center of R and D in Plastic Surgery, Soroka University Medical Center, Faculty of Health Sciences, Ben Gurion University of the Negev, Beer Sheva, Israel
Isr Med Assoc J 5:450-1. 2003
- Carboplatin plus paclitaxel in unknown primary carcinoma: a phase II Hellenic Cooperative Oncology Group StudyE Briasoulis
Departments of Medical Oncology, Ioannina University Hospital, Greece
J Clin Oncol 18:3101-7. 2000..To evaluate the efficacy of the carboplatin/paclitaxel combination in patients with carcinoma of unknown primary site (CUP)...
- The role of fluorodeoxyglucose positron emission tomography in cervical lymph node metastases from an unknown primary tumorKyle E Rusthoven
Department of Radiation Oncology, Emory Clinic Emory University, Atlanta, Georgia, USA
Cancer 101:2641-9. 2004..The authors performed a comprehensive review of the efficacy of fluorodeoxyglucose positron emission tomography (FDG-PET) in the detection of primary tumors in patients with cervical metastases from unknown primary tumors...
- Combination of cisplatin-doxorubicin-cyclophosphamide in adenocarcinoma of unknown primary site: a phase II trialE Guardiola
Centre Antoine Lacassagne, Nice, France
Am J Clin Oncol 24:372-5. 2001..However, the emergence of long-term survivors among responder patients highlighted the need to search for an active treatment for patients with ACUP...
- Nodal neuroendocrine (Merkel cell) carcinoma without an identifiable primary tumorHiroko Kuwabara
Acta Cytol 47:515-7. 2003
- Carcinoma of an unknown primary site: a chemotherapy strategy based on histological differentiation--results of a prospective studyM Saghatchian
Institut Gustave Roussy, Villejuif, France
Ann Oncol 12:535-40. 2001..To evaluate the efficacy and toxicity of a chemotherapy strategy based on histological differentiation, for patients with carcinoma of unknown primary site...
- Cisplatin and gemcitabine with either vinorelbine or paclitaxel in the treatment of carcinomas of unknown primary site : results of an Italian multicenter, randomized, phase II studySergio Palmeri
Department of Oncology, Division of Medical Oncology, University of Palermo, Palermo, Italy
Cancer 107:2898-905. 2006..To date, the standard treatment for patients who have carcinoma of unknown primary site has not been established...
- A phase II study of mitomycin C, cisplatin and continuous infusion 5-fluorouracil (MCF) in the treatment of patients with carcinoma of unknown primary siteA Graham Macdonald
ANCHOR Unit, Aberdeen Royal Infirmary, Aberdeen AB25 2ZN, Scotland, UK
Br J Cancer 86:1238-42. 2002..Survival at 1 year was 28%, and at 2 years, 10%. MCF is a tolerable regimen with comparable toxicity, response rates and survival data to most platinum-based combination chemotherapy regimens in use for this devastating disease...
- Peritoneal carcinomatosis of unknown primary site in women. A distinctive subset of adenocarcinomaC M Strnad
Vanderbilt University Medical Center, Nashville, Tennessee
Ann Intern Med 111:213-7. 1989..To define the clinical features and results of systemic treatment in women with adenocarcinoma of unknown primary site involving predominantly the peritoneal surfaces...
- Implication of 18F-fluoro-2-deoxy-D-glucose positron emission tomography on management of carcinoma of unknown primary in the head and neck: a Danish cohort studyJørgen Johansen
Department of Oncology, Rigshospitalet, University Hospital of Copenhagen, Denmark
Laryngoscope 112:2009-14. 2002....
- [Clinical analysis of cervical metastatis from an unknown primary carcinoma]Takafumi Takemura
Department of Otorhinolaryngology Head and Neck Surgery Kumamoto Medical University, Kumamoto
Nihon Jibiinkoka Gakkai Kaiho 108:996-1003. 2005..Radiotherapy with radical neck dissection was thought more effective than radical neck dissection for local and neck control...
- The usefulness of fluorine 18-labelled deoxyglucose positron emission tomography in the investigation of patients with cervical lymphadenopathy from an unknown primary tumorGerald B Fogarty
Division of Radiation Oncology, Peter MacCallum Cancer Institute, Locked Bag 1, A Beckett St, Victoria 8006, Australia
Head Neck 25:138-45. 2003..To assess the role of PET in this scenario in our institution, an audit was performed...
- Lymph node metastasis of squamous cell carcinoma from an unknown primary: impact of positron emission tomographySandro J Stoeckli
Department of Otorhinolaryngology, Head and Neck Surgery, University Hospital Zurich, Zurich, Switzerland
Eur J Nucl Med Mol Imaging 30:411-6. 2003..Considering its high specificity, PET could be of value as an initial evaluation instrument, reserving the need for extensive work-up to patients with negative scans...
- [Simultaneous manifestation of blue-rubber-bleb-nevus-syndrome and malignant melanoma]S Kinner
Institut fur Diagnostische und Interventionelle Radiologie und Neuroradiologie, Universitatsklinikum Essen
Vasa 35:239-41. 2006..Little is known about coherence between these nevi and malignant diseases. We report on a young man with progressive BRBN syndrome representing a thitherto unknown malignant melanoma...
- PET in face and neck tumoursSheila C Rankin
Guy s and St Thomas Foundation Trust, London, UK
Cancer Imaging 6:S89-95. 2006..It can be used to stage the primary tumour, to assess response to therapy and most importantly for the detection of recurrent tumour. The advantages and limitations of this technique are discussed in this article...
- [Current trends in diagnosis and treatment head and neck cancer]Jean Lacau Lacau St Guily
Service d ORL et Chirurgie Cervico Faciale, hôpital Tenon and UFR Pierre et Marie Curie, Universite Paris 6, 75970 Paris
Rev Prat 56:1652-7. 2006..In neck carcinoma with unknown primary, search of primary should address first head and neck area and upper aero-digestive tract. Differential diagnosis are glomic tumour, congenital cyst and other causes of lymph node disease..
- Lymph node metastases in the neck from unknown primary tumourJ Jakobsen
Department of Otorhinolaryngology, Odense University Hospital, Denmark
Acta Oncol 31:653-5. 1992..Patients with small neck node metastases responded well to treatment with neck dissection and radiotherapy, resulting in a 5-year crude survival rate of 53%...
- Metastatic carcinoma to the cervical nodes from an unknown head and neck primary site: Is there a need for neck dissection?Maryam Aslani
Department of Radiation Oncology, McGill University, Montreal, Quebec, Canada
Head Neck 29:585-90. 2007....
- Multiple hemorrhagic strokes from DIC associated with occult large cell carcinomaMatthew A Koenig
Division of Neurosciences Critical Care, Johns Hopkins Hospital, Baltimore, MD, USA
Neurocrit Care 5:210-2. 2006..Multiple hemorrhagic strokes are a rare presentation of paraneoplastic disseminated intravascular coagulation (DIC). We present a case of DIC occurring in a patient with occult large cell carcinoma...
- Prospective study of 18FDG-PET in the detection and management of patients with lymph node metastases to the neck from an unknown primary tumor. Results from the DAHANCA-13 studyJørgen Johansen
Department of Oncology, Odense University Hospital, Odense, Denmark
Head Neck 30:471-8. 2008..The benefit of a complementary fluorodeoxyglucose-positron emission tomography (FDG-PET) scan to standard workup for carcinoma of unknown primary (CUP) and metastatic neck lesions was prospectively studied...
- Docetaxel and carboplatin combination chemotherapy as outpatient palliative therapy in carcinoma of unknown primary: a multicentre Hellenic Cooperative Oncology Group phase II studyGeorge Pentheroudakis
Ioannina University Hospital, Ioannina, Greece
Acta Oncol 47:1148-55. 2008..Taxane/platinum combinations exhibit synergistic cytotoxicity and activity against a broad range of solid tumours. We sought to optimise the regimen as a suitable outpatient palliative treatment for cancer of unknown primary (CUP)...
- [Positron emission tomography in head and neck oncology: five cases]A Courtois
Service ORL et Chirurgie Cervico-Faciale, HIA Ste Anne, BP 600, 83800 Toulon Naval
Ann Otolaryngol Chir Cervicofac 118:254-60. 2001..18-FDG-PET is currently under evaluation as a tool for detecting cervical lymph nodes and early assessment of response to chemotherapy...
- [Clinical study of 28 cases of cervical lymph node metastasis from an unknown primary carcinoma]Takamasa Tagawa
Department of Otorhinolaryngology, Keio University School of Medicine
Nihon Jibiinkoka Gakkai Kaiho 110:506-12. 2007..Overall 5-year survival in this study was 46%. We should pay particular attention to the tonsils for detecting primary tumors in patients with cervical metastasis from an unknown primary carcinoma...
- An unusual mucin-secreting neoplasm presenting as a metastasis in the neckM Aron
Cytopathology 18:203-6. 2007
- Cervical nodal metastases from occult primary: undifferentiated carcinoma versus squamous cell carcinomaChi Chung Tong
Department of Clinical Oncology, Queen Elizabeth Hospital, 30 Gascoigne Road, Kowloon, Hong Kong
Head Neck 24:361-9. 2002..Oncologists face a major challenge in adopting an optimal approach. This study attempted to compare the clinical course of two different histologic findings of this disease entity...
- Carcinoma metastatic to cervical lymph nodes from an occult primary tumor: the outcome after combined-modality therapyPaolo Boscolo-Rizzo
ENT Department and Regional Center for Head and Neck Cancer, University of Padua, School of Medicine, Treviso Regional Hospital, Treviso, Italy
Ann Surg Oncol 14:1575-82. 2007..The aim of this retrospective analysis was to analyze the results of treatment of patients with cervical node metastases from carcinoma of occult primary with a policy including neck dissection and postoperative comprehensive radiotherapy...
- Evaluation of the role of 18FDG-PET/CT in radiotherapy target definition in patients with head and neck cancerKatie L Newbold
The Royal Marsden NHS Foundation Trust, Sutton, Surrey, UK
Acta Oncol 47:1229-36. 2008..This study evaluated the impact of (18)FDG-PET/CT on radiotherapy target volume definition in head and neck cancer (HNC)...
- [Correlation of FDG-PET and MRI/CT with histopathology in primary diagnosis, lymph node staging and diagnosis of recurrency of head and neck cancer]G Popperl
Klinik und Poliklinik für Nuklearmedizin München, Germany
Rofo 174:714-20. 2002....
- Role of tonsillectomy in the search for a squamous cell carcinoma from an unknown primary in the head and neckPrasad Kothari
Department of Otolaryngology and Head and Neck Surgery, Northwick Park Hospital, London, United Kingdom
Br J Oral Maxillofac Surg 46:283-7. 2008..We therefore recommend that bilateral tonsillectomy should be standard in the investigation of patients who present with cervical metastases from an unknown primary in the head and neck region...
- BREAST CANCER STAGING WITH MRI PRIOR RE-EXCISIONSusan Orel; Fiscal Year: 2001..Correlation of MRI, mammographic, clinical, and pathological findings will generate a profile of patients at risk for occult, diffuse or multifocal disease who should undergo MRI prior to treatment recommendation. ..
- MELANOMA ANTIGENS INDENTIFIED FROM GMCSF VACCINATIONFRANK HODI; Fiscal Year: 2002..Further identification of immunogenic antigens in melanoma offers promise for future therapies. ..
- RAP1A AND RAP1B IN THE DIAGNOSIS AND TMT - ORAL CANCERNISHA D SILVA; Fiscal Year: 2004..The third segment involves the design of a protocol to investigate the use of rap1A in gene therapy to treat residual epithelial dysplasia or squamous cell carcinoma lesions. ..
- CTLA-4 Blockade in GM-CSF Vaccinated PatientsFRANK HODI; Fiscal Year: 2004..abstract_text> ..
- Rap 1-Mediated Protein Transport in Oral CancerNISHA D SILVA; Fiscal Year: 2006..The significance of this research is that it explores an important and novel mechanism for nucleocytoplasmic transport of pro-proliferative proteins in oral cancer, thereby identifying novel treatment targets. [unreadable] [unreadable]..
- Effective surveillance strategies for melanoma patientsJanice N Cormier; Fiscal Year: 2010..Collectively, the outcomes from this proposal will provide evidence-based guidelines for surveillance, which in turn will promote the cost-effective use of health care resources. ..