Genomes and Genes
Summary: Tumors or cancer of the SPLEEN.
Publications226 found, 100 shown here
- Splenic metastases: clinicopathologic presentation, differential diagnosis, and pathogenesisEva Comperat
Service d Anatomie Pathologique, Hopital Pitie Salpetriere, Boulevard de l Hopital, 75013 Paris, France
Arch Pathol Lab Med 131:965-9. 2007..Splenic metastases occur in a context of multivisceral disseminated cancer or as a solitary lesion...
- Alteration of BIRC3 and multiple other NF-κB pathway genes in splenic marginal zone lymphomaDavide Rossi
Division of Hematology, Department of Clinical and Experimental Medicine, Amedeo Avogadro University of Eastern Piedmont, Novara, Italy
Blood 118:4930-4. 2011..Genetic lesions of NF-κB provide a molecular basis for the pathogenesis of more than 30% of SMZLs and offer a suitable target for NF-κB therapeutic approaches in this lymphoma...
- MR imaging of the spleen: spectrum of abnormalitiesKhaled M Elsayes
Mallinckrodt Institute of Radiology, Washington University School of Medicine, 510 S Kingshighway Blvd, St Louis, MO 63110, USA
Radiographics 25:967-82. 2005..MR imaging is an excellent tool for diagnosis and evaluation of focal lesions and pathologic conditions of the spleen...
- Splenic angiosarcoma: a clinicopathologic and immunophenotypic study of 28 casesT S Neuhauser
Department of Hematopathology, Armed Forces Institute of Pathology, Washington, DC, USA
Mod Pathol 13:978-87. 2000..The majority of splenic angiosarcomas coexpress histiocytic and endothelial markers by immunohistochemical analysis, which suggest that some tumors may originate from splenic lining cells...
- Splenic marginal zone lymphoma with VH1-02 gene rearrangement expresses poly- and self-reactive antibodies with similar reactivityAbdirashid A Warsame
Department of Pathology, University Hospital of Oslo, Oslo, Norway
Blood 118:3331-9. 2011..The results indicate that a common subset of SMZL arises from polyreactive B cells, a subset of marginal zone B cells that are important in the immunologic defense against infection...
- Deletion mapping on the long arm of chromosome 7 in splenic lymphoma with villous lymphocytesAlicja M Gruszka-Westwood
Academic Department of Haematology and Cytogenetics, Institute of Cancer Research Royal Marsden NHS Trust, London, United Kingdom
Genes Chromosomes Cancer 36:57-69. 2003..The presence of a high incidence of abnormalities in the established hotspot areas and in particular the finding of biallelic deletions is indicative of the existence of genes important for the pathogenesis of SLVL in these areas...
- Splenic marginal zone lymphomas are characterized by loss of interstitial regions of chromosome 7q, 7q31.32 and 7q36.2 that include the protection of telomere 1 (POT1) and sonic hedgehog (SHH) genesFrancisco Vega
Department of Hematopathology, The University of Texas M D Anderson Cancer Center, Houston, Texas 77030, USA
Br J Haematol 142:216-26. 2008..In conclusion, SMZL, but not NMZL, demonstrates large genomic imbalances and frequent loss of the 7q31.32 and 7q36.2 regions involving POT1 and SHH, respectively. In NMZL, loss of FADD and gain of GLI1 are frequent events...
- Hepatosplenic T-cell lymphoma in adolescents and young adults with Crohn's disease: a cautionary tale?Joel R Rosh
Goryeb Children s Hospital Atlantic Health, Morristown, New Jersey, USA
Inflamm Bowel Dis 13:1024-30. 2007..Additionally, a description of HSTCL and a summary of the known cases of this apparent therapeutic complication are presented. Clinical options in light of this new information are explored...
- Genome-wide DNA profiling of marginal zone lymphomas identifies subtype-specific lesions with an impact on the clinical outcomeAndrea Rinaldi
Laboratory of Experimental Oncology and Lymphoma Unit, Oncology Institute of Southern Switzerland, Via Vincenzo Vela 6, Bellinzona, Switzerland
Blood 117:1595-604. 2011..Although del(17p) did not determine a worse outcome and del(8p) was only of borderline significance, the presence of both deletions had a highly significant negative impact on the outcome of splenic MZLs...
- Analysis of the IgV(H) somatic mutations in splenic marginal zone lymphoma defines a group of unmutated cases with frequent 7q deletion and adverse clinical coursePatricia Algara
Department of Genetics and Pathology, Virgen de la Salud Hospital, Toledo, Spain
Blood 99:1299-304. 2002....
- A systematic review of factors that contribute to hepatosplenic T-cell lymphoma in patients with inflammatory bowel diseaseDavid S Kotlyar
Department of Medicine, Montefiore Medical Center, Albert Einstein College of Medicine, Bronx, NY, USA
Clin Gastroenterol Hepatol 9:36-41.e1. 2011..We investigated the medications, duration of therapy, and ages of patients associated with HSTCL...
- Angiosarcoma of the spleen clinically presenting as metastatic ovarian cancer. A case report and review of the literatureJose R Valbuena
Department of Pathology and Laboratory Medicine, University of Texas M D Anderson Cancer Center, Houston, TX 77030 4095, USA
Ann Diagn Pathol 9:289-92. 2005..However, histopathologic examination of the specimen showed the tumor to be of a primary angiosarcoma. We believe that the lengthy exposure to radiation may have played a role in the histopathogenesis of this neoplasm in this patient...
- Ultrasound-guided fine needle biopsy of the spleen: high clinical efficacy and low risk in a multicenter Italian studyG Civardi
Divisione di Medicina Interna Ematologia, Ospedale Civile, Piacenza, Italy
Am J Hematol 67:93-9. 2001..Aspiration cytology and core needle biopsy showed similar diagnostic yields, except for the diagnosis of splenic lymphoma, in which core needle biopsy obtained better results...
- Canine hemangiosarcoma treated with standard chemotherapy and minocyclineK Sorenmo
Department of Clinical Studies and Pathobiology, Veterinary Hospital of the University of Pennsylvania, Philadelphia 19104, USA
J Vet Intern Med 14:395-8. 2000..Postmortem examination revealed widespread metastasis, suggesting that minocycline is ineffective as a single antiangiogenic agent in canine hemangiosarcoma...
- Littoral cell angiosarcoma: a truly malignant tumorRenato Rosso
Am J Surg Pathol 28:1255. 2004
- [Rupture of the spleen in angiosarcoma: a case report and review of the literature]Roberto Sivelli
Clinica Chirurgica Generale e dei Trapianti d Organo Università degli Studi di Parma
Chir Ital 57:377-80. 2005..It is important to perform a splenectomy before splenic rupture owing to its negative impact on long-term survival...
- BCR and TLR signaling pathways are recurrently targeted by genetic changes in splenic marginal zone lymphomasQingguo Yan
Division of Molecular Histopathology, Department of Pathology, University of Cambridge, Cambridge, UK
Haematologica 97:595-8. 2012..These results strongly suggest that deregulation of the TLR (toll like receptor) and BCR (B-cell receptor) signaling pathway may play an important role in the pathogenesis of splenic marginal zone lymphoma...
- Giant splenic metastasis due to lung adenocarcinomaAna Sánchez-Romero
Servicio de Cirugia General y del Aparato Digestivo, Hospital General Universitario de Elche, Elche, Alicante, Spain
Clin Transl Oncol 8:294-5. 2006..The patient underwent splenectomy, which confirmed the diagnose of splenic metastasis of lung adenocarcinoma and, secondly, lung resection was performed. Topics about lung cancer metastasis are discussed...
- Hepatosplenic alphabeta T cell lymphomaYuya Nagai
Department of Hematology and Clinical Immunology, Kobe City Medical Center General Hospital, 4 6 Minatojima Nakamachi, Chuo Ku, Kobe 650 0046, Japan
Int J Clin Oncol 15:215-9. 2010..Since hepatosplenic alphabeta T cell lymphoma is very rare with only 23 reported cases to date, herein we report this case and discuss the therapeutic strategy...
- Molecular characterization of the region 7q22.1 in splenic marginal zone lymphomasCristina Robledo
Unidad de Diagnóstico Molecular y Celular del Cáncer, IBMCC, Centro de Investigacion del Cancer, Universidad de Salamanca CSIC, Salamanca, Spain
PLoS ONE 6:e24939. 2011..A loss of 7q22.1 at 99925039-101348479 bp was observed in half of the cases. The region of 7q22.1 has not previously been characterised in SMZL. Our results confirmed the presence of a new region of loss on chromosome 7 in these NHL...
- [Splenic metastasis of lung cancer]Katsutoshi Ando
Department of Pulmonology, Kameda Medical Center
Nihon Kokyuki Gakkai Zasshi 47:581-4. 2009..Therefore, we considered that splenectomy could possibly improve the prognosis of this patient with isolated splenic metastasis. We report a case with a brief review of the literature and summarize the 13 reported cases...
- [Solitary splenic metastases from lung cancer--one-time surgical procedure]Dariusz Tomaszewski
Z Katedry i Kliniki Chirurgii Klatki Piersiowej AM w Gdańsku
Pneumonol Alergol Pol 71:533-7. 2003..Upper left lobectomy and splenectomy were done by the left postero-lateral thoracotomy with phrenotomy. The rarity of solitary spleen metastasis from lung cancer and the treatment are discussed...
- Hepatosplenic T-cell lymphoma following infliximab therapy for Crohn's diseaseMusa Drini
Department of Colorectal Medicine and Genetics, Royal Melbourne Hospital, Melbourne, Victoria, Australia
Med J Aust 189:464-5. 2008..We describe the first case in Australia of hepatosplenic T-cell lymphoma in a patient who had been treated with infliximab and immunomodulators for Crohn's disease...
- [Angiosarcoma as a rare differential diagnosis in spontaneous rupture of the spleen]A Maier
Klinik und Poliklinik für Chirurgie, Universitat Regensburg
Chirurg 75:70-4. 2004..Due to the small number of reported cases, there are no guidelines for adjuvant or palliative therapy, and up to today all adjuvant means of radiotherapy and chemotherapy have not improved the prognosis of the patients...
- Spleen rupture due to primary angiosarcoma: a case reportIoannis M Koutelidakis
2nd Department of Surgery, Aristoteles University of Thessaloniki, G Gennimatas General Hospital, Thessaloniki, Greece
J Gastrointest Cancer 38:74-7. 2007..Splenectomy prior to rupture seems to have a positive impact on long-term survival...
- Hepatosplenic T-cell lymphoma and inflammatory bowel diseaseAnne Thai
University of California, Davis Medical Center UCDMC, Internal Medicine, 4150 V Street, Suite 3100, Sacramento, CA 95817, United States
J Crohns Colitis 4:511-22. 2010..In addition, we explore the history of reported cases of hepatosplenic T-cell lymphoma in relation to the possible existence of a causal relationship between infliximab use and HSTCL. The treatments for HSTCL will be briefly addressed...
- Isolated splenic metastasis from lung cancer: ringleader of continuous feverH Tang
Dept of Respiratory Medicine, Changzheng Hospital, Second Military Medical University, Shanghai, China
Eur Respir Rev 19:253-6. 2010..We also reviewed all 11 reported previously cases and summarised the characteristics and appropriate management of isolated splenic metastasis from lung cancer...
- Splenic marginal zone B-cell lymphoma: a distinct clinicopathological and molecular entity. Recent advances in ontogeny and classificationA Traverse-Glehen
Hospices Civils de Lyon, Service d Anatomie Pathologique, Centre Hospitalier Lyon Sud, Pierre Benite, Universite Lyon 1, UMR CNRS 5239 Equipe Pathologie des Cellules Lymphoides, Lyon, France
Curr Opin Oncol 23:441-8. 2011....
- Hepatosplenic alphabeta T-cell lymphomas: a report of 14 cases and comparison with hepatosplenic gammadelta T-cell lymphomasW R Macon
Department of Laboratory Medicine and Pathology, Mayo Clinic, Rochester, Minnesota 55905, USA
Am J Surg Pathol 25:285-96. 2001..This group, along with the previously recognized gammadelta group, should be recognized as phenotypically heterogeneous subtypes of the same disease entity...
- [Spontaneous spleen rupture due to primary splenic angiosarcoma: a case report]Burhan Mayir
Department of General Surgery, Medicine Faculty of Akdeniz University, Antalya, Turkey
Ulus Travma Acil Cerrahi Derg 13:313-5. 2007..Spleen angiosarcoma must be considered in the differential diagnosis of patients with unexplained anemia, splenic mass and splenomegaly. It has rapid course and poor prognosis. Splenectomy must be performed because of threat of rupture...
- Assessment of the frequency of additional cancers in patients with splenic marginal zone lymphomaEmilio Iannitto
Hematology and BMT Unit, Department of Oncology, University of Palermo, Palermo, Italy
Eur J Haematol 76:134-40. 2006..The purpose of the present study was to estimate the standardised incidence ratio (SIR) and the absolute excess risk (AER) of SPC in patients with splenic marginal zone lymphoma (SMZL)...
- Long-term survival in two patients with hepatosplenic T cell lymphoma treated with interferon-alphaMichael Robert Humphreys
Leuk Lymphoma 49:1420-3. 2008
- Splenic diffuse red pulp small B-cell lymphoma: revision of a series of cases reveals characteristic clinico-pathological featuresGeorge Kanellis
Spanish National Cancer Research Centre CNIO, Madrid, Spain
Haematologica 95:1122-9. 2010..Additional work is required to review this entity and establish its diagnostic features...
- Splenic marginal zone lymphoma: clinical characteristics and prognostic factors in a series of 60 patientsJose I Chacón
Medical Oncology Service, Pathologic Anatomy Department, Hospital Virgen de la Salud, Toledo, Spain
Blood 100:1648-54. 2002..These data confirm the relative indolence of this disease, indicating the existence of a subset of more aggressive cases, which should stimulate the search for predictive biologic factors and alternative therapies...
- Primary histiocytic sarcoma of the spleen associated with erythrophagocytic histiocytosisJosee Audouin
Service central Jacques Delarue d Anatomie et de Cytologie Pathologiques, Hotel Dieu, Paris, France
Pathol Res Pract 199:107-12. 2003..The association with a reactive histiocytosis with erythrophagocytosis corresponds to "histiocytic medullary reticulosis", as previously described by Scott and Robb-Smith...
- Graft-versus-lymphoma effect in progressive hepatosplenic gamma/delta T-cell lymphomaSimon He
Leuk Lymphoma 48:1448-50. 2007
- Splenic marginal zone lymphoma: proposal of new diagnostic and prognostic markers identified after tissue and cDNA microarray analysisElena Ruiz-Ballesteros
Molecular Pathology Program, Centro Nacional de Investigaciones Oncologicas, C Melchor Fernandez Almagro 3, E 28 029 Madrid, Spain
Blood 106:1831-8. 2005..Shorter survival was associated with CD38 expression, naive IgV(H) genes, and the expression of a set of NF-kappaB pathway genes, including TRAF5, REL, and PKCA...
- Isolated splenic metastasis from primary lung adenocarcinomaBrian J Schmidt
Department of General Surgery, Mayo Clinic Jacksonville, Jacksonville, FL, USA
South Med J 97:298-300. 2004..We report a rare case of an asymptomatic, isolated splenic metastasis in a 72-year-old man diagnosed 25 months after resection of an adenocarcinoma of the lung...
- Splenic marginal zone lymphoma proposals for a revision of diagnostic, staging and therapeutic criteriaE Matutes
Section of Haemato oncology, Institute of Cancer Research, London, UK
Leukemia 22:487-95. 2008....
- Splenic marginal zone B-cell lymphomas: two cytogenetic subtypes, one with gain of 3q and the other with loss of 7qF Sole
Laboratori de Citologia Hematologica, Laboratori de Referència de Catalunya, Departament de Patologia, Hospital del Mar, IMAS, IMIM, Passeig Maritim, 25 29, 08003 Barcelona, Spain
Haematologica 86:71-7. 2001..In the present study we performed conventional cytogenetics and in situ hybridization studies in 47 patients with SMZBCL...
- Splenic metastases in a large unselected autopsy seriesCorinna Ariane Schön
Institute of Pathology, Philipps University Marburg, Baldingerstrasse, Marburg 35033, Germany
Pathol Res Pract 202:351-6. 2006..The present study underlines the importance of spleen metastasis as an indicator of poor prognosis. There are, however, various aspects as to the detection and morphology of spleen metastasism, which merit further scrutiny...
- MicroRNA losses in the frequently deleted region of 7q in SMZLE Ruiz-Ballesteros
Leukemia 21:2547-9. 2007
- Splenic marginal zone lymphomaVito Franco
Istituto di Anatomia e Istologia Patologica and Divisione di Ematologia con TMO, University of Palermo, Palermo, Italy
Blood 101:2464-72. 2003..To date, no definitive therapy has been established. Therapeutic options include treatment abstention, splenectomy, splenic irradiation, and chemotherapy...
- Solitary splenic lesionsDavid M Warshauer
Department of Radiology, University of North Carolina School of Medicine, Chapel Hill, North Carolina 27599 7510, USA
Semin Ultrasound CT MR 27:370-88. 2006..Percutaneous biopsy may be used for histologic diagnosis when required...
- Recurrent genomic imbalances in B-cell splenic marginal-zone lymphoma revealed by comparative genomic hybridizationClaus L Andersen
Department of Hematology, Laboratory of Cancer Cytogenetics, Arhus Sygehus, Tage Hansens Gade 2, DK 8000 Arhus C, Denmark
Cancer Genet Cytogenet 156:122-8. 2005..Our data suggest that SMZL constitute a genetically heterogeneous disease where gain of 3q25 and loss of 7q31 are the most likely imbalances to be involved in the pathogenesis of the disease...
- Hepatosplenic T-cell lymphoma in a patient with Crohn's disease who received infliximab therapyAmer Zeidan
Leuk Lymphoma 48:1410-3. 2007
- [Spontaneous splenic rupture due to splenic metastasis of lung cancer]F Lachachi
Service de chirurgie viscérale et transplantation, Hopital Universitaire Dupuytren, 2 Avenue Martin Luther King, 87042 Limoges Cedex, France
Ann Chir 129:521-2. 2004..Chest X-ray revealed a right lung superior lobe tumor, related to poorly differentiated carcinoma. Total splenectomy is a good option for diagnosis and treatment of splenic metastases...
- Multiple lesions of the spleen: differential diagnosis of cystic and solid lesionsAya Kamaya
Department of Radiology, Stanford University School of Medicine, Stanford, CA 94305, USA
Semin Ultrasound CT MR 27:389-403. 2006..Radiologists should be aware of the spectrum of processes that may involve the spleen and the clinical context in which they occur...
- Isolated splenic metastasis from non small cell lung cancerC S Pramesh
Division of Thoracic Surgery, Department of Surgical Oncology, Tata Memorial Hospital, Mumbai, India
Ann Thorac Cardiovasc Surg 10:247-8. 2004..We report a middle-aged man who presented to us with locoregionally advanced non small cell lung cancer, progressed on neoadjuvant chemotherapy and developed isolated splenic metastasis...
- Splenic marginal zone lymphomas presenting with splenomegaly and typical immunophenotype are characterized by allelic loss in 7q31-32Ronald Boonstra
Departments of Pathology and Laboratory Medicine, University Medical Center Groningen, The Netherlands
Mod Pathol 16:1210-7. 2003..The findings indicate that SMZL with primary splenic presentation and the typical IgM+, IgDdim, CD5-, CD10-, CD23- immunophenotype is characterized by the presence of deletions in chromosome 7q31-32...
- Solitary splenic metastasis derived from esophageal cancerYasue Kimura
Department of Surgery and Science, Graduate School of Medical Sciences, Kyushu University, 3 1 1 Maidashi, Fukuoka 812 8582, Japan
Hepatogastroenterology 50:1336-7. 2003..Transarterial embolization of the splenic artery was without effect. A splenectomy was then done and histological examination of the resected specimen revealed squamous cell carcinoma derived from the esophageal carcinoma...
- Solitary splenic metastasis of an adenocarcinoma of the lung 2 years postoperativelyI Van Hul
Department of General Surgery, Sint Vincentiusziekenhuis, Antwerp, Belgium
Acta Chir Belg 108:462-3. 2008..Most patients with splenic metastases have widely disseminated metastatic disease. We report a case of an asymptomatic, isolated splenic metastasis in a 67-year-old man diagnosed 2 years after resection of an adenocarcinoma of the lung...
- Hepatosplenic T-cell lymphoma in a patient with Crohn's diseaseFlorian Beigel
Department of Medicine II, University Hospital, Munich Grosshadern, Munich, Germany
Nat Rev Gastroenterol Hepatol 6:433-6. 2009..He had been taking azathioprine therapy for approximately 5.5 years and had received high-dose steroids. He had also previously taken metronidazole and antihypertensive medications...
- Over 30% of patients with splenic marginal zone lymphoma express the same immunoglobulin heavy variable gene: ontogenetic implicationsV Bikos
Democritus University of Thrace, Alexandroupolis, Greece
Leukemia 26:1638-46. 2012..Furthermore, they raise the possibility that certain SMZL subtypes could derive from progenitor populations adapted to particular antigenic challenges through selection of VH domain specificities, in particular the IGHV1-2(*)04 allele...
- Splenic marginal zone lymphoma: characterization of 7q deletion and its value in diagnosisA James Watkins
Division of Molecular Histopathology, Department of Pathology, University of Cambridge, UK
J Pathol 220:461-74. 2010..In conclusion, 7q32 deletion is a characteristic feature of SMZL, albeit seen in isolated cases of splenic B-cell lymphoma/leukaemia unclassifiable, and its detection may help the differential diagnosis of splenic B-cell lymphomas...
- Regression of splenic lymphoma with villous lymphocytes after treatment of hepatitis C virus infectionOlivier Hermine
Department of Hematology and Centre National de la Recherche Scientifique Unité Mixte de Recherche 8603, Hopital Necker, Paris, France
N Engl J Med 347:89-94. 2002..We undertook this study after a patient with splenic lymphoma with villous lymphocytes had a hematologic response after antiviral treatment of HCV infection...
- Littoral cell angioma in main and accessory intrapancreatic spleen presenting as splenic ruptureJulia B Pilz
Department of Gastroenterology, Liestal Hospital, Switzerland
Am J Surg 201:e15-7. 2011..To our knowledge, this is the first description of littoral cell angioma of the spleen involving both main and accessory organ presenting as splenic rupture...
- Cytogenetic aberrations and their prognostic value in a series of 330 splenic marginal zone B-cell lymphomas: a multicenter study of the Splenic B-Cell Lymphoma GroupMarta Salido
Hospital del Mar, IMAS, Barcelona, Spain
Blood 116:1479-88. 2010..Complexity of the karyotype, 14q aberrations, and TP53 deletions are poor prognostic indicators and may be considered together with other clinicobiologic parameters to ascertain the prognosis of SMZL...
- p53 abnormalities in splenic lymphoma with villous lymphocytesA M Gruszka-Westwood
Academic Department of Haematology and Cytogenetics, Institute of Cancer Research/Royal Marsden NHS Trust, Fulham Rd, London, SW3 6JJ United Kingdom
Blood 97:3552-8. 2001..Although p53 abnormalities are infrequent in SLVL, they underlie a more aggressive disease course and poor prognosis. (Blood. 2001;97:3552-3558)..
- [Littoral-cell angioma--a rare differential diagnosis on splenic tumors]J Sauer
Klinik und Poliklinik fur Allgemein und Abdominalchirurgie, Johannes Gutenberg Universitat Mainz
Dtsch Med Wochenschr 124:624-8. 1999..HISTORY AND PRE-ADMISSION FINDINGS: Routine abdominal sonography of a 51-year-old man 6 years after removal of the right testis and radiotherapy for a seminoma revealed a 3 cm mass within the spleen...
- Incidental littoral cell angioma of the spleenMay Tee
Faculty of Medicine, University of British Columbia, Vancouver, British Columbia, Canada
World J Surg Oncol 6:87. 2008..Littoral cell angioma (LCA) is a recently described primary vascular neoplasm of the spleen that may be associated with other malignancies and may itself also have malignant potential...
- Histiocytic sarcoma of the spleen: case report of asymptomatic onset of thrombocytopenia and complex imaging featuresShinichi Kobayashi
Division of Hematology, Department of Internal Medicine, National Defense Medical College, Tokorozawa, Saitama 359 8513, Japan
Int J Hematol 87:83-7. 2008..Histiocytic sarcoma of the spleen should be considered as a differential diagnosis in therapeutically unresponsive patients with chronic thrombocytopenia...
- Primary histiocytic sarcoma of the spleen associated with hemophagocytosisKoji Oka
Department of Internal Medicine, Suzuka Kaisei Hospital, 112 1 Koh chou, Suzuka, Mie 513 0836, Japan
Int J Hematol 87:405-9. 2008..CD163 expression by neoplastic cells could be confirmed only after careful observation, because the molecule may only be seen in some of the neoplastic cells...
- Hepatosplenic T cell lymphoma associated with infliximab use in young patients treated for inflammatory bowel diseaseAnn Corken Mackey
Center for Drug Evaluation and Research, US Food and Drug Administration, Rockville, MD, USA
J Pediatr Gastroenterol Nutr 44:265-7. 2007..It has not been established that infliximab had an exclusive or primary role in the pathogenesis of these HSTCL cases; however, it appears that patients using this product may be at greater risk for developing this rare lymphoma...
- [Littoral cell angioma of the spleen. Association with colon and hepatocellular carcinoma]T Hansen
Institut fur Pathologie, Universitätsmedizin Mainz, Langenbeckstr 1, 55101, Mainz, Deutschland
Pathologe 31:290-2. 2010..In addition a hepatocellular carcinoma was found. Due to the relationship with malignant tumors littoral cell angioma should be considered in every case of a splenic tumoral space-occupying mass, particularly in carcinoma patients...
- Splenic marginal zone lymphoma: a prognostic model for clinical useLuca Arcaini
Division of Hematology, IRCCS Policlinico San Matteo, University of Pavia, 27100 Pavia, Italy
Blood 107:4643-9. 2006..In conclusion, with the use of readily available factors, this prognostic index may be an effective tool for evaluating the need for treatment and the intensity of therapy in an individual patient...
- Novel genomic imbalances in B-cell splenic marginal zone lymphomas revealed by comparative genomic hybridization and cytogeneticsJ M Hernandez
Servicio de Hematologia, Hospital Universitario and Centro de Investigación del Cáncer, Universidad de Salamanca CSIC, Salamanca, Spain
Am J Pathol 158:1843-50. 2001..05). In summary, chromosomal imbalances in regions 3q, 4q, 5q, 7q, 9q, 12q, and 20q have been detected by CGH in SMZL. Patients with SMZL displaying genetic losses by CGH had a short survival...
- Hepatosplenic T-cell lymphoma in a young man with Crohn's disease: case report and literature reviewMark G Ochenrider
Division of Internal Medicine, Virginia Mason Medical Center, Seattle, WA 98101, USA
Clin Lymphoma Myeloma Leuk 10:144-8. 2010..Additional research is needed to better understand the role of thiopurines and TNF-alpha inhibitors in promoting HSTCL and what can be done to prevent and treat this devastating malignancy in young patients with Crohn's disease...
- Littoral cell angioma (LCA) associated with liver cirrhosisHi Gu Kim
Department of Internal Medicine, Gastroenterology Division, Inha University Hospital, Inha University, 7 206, 3 Ga, Shinheung Dong, Jung Gu, Incheon 400 103, Korea
Yonsei Med J 46:184-8. 2005..There has been no previous report of a LCA combined with liver cirrhosis. Herein, the first case of a LCA in Korea, diagnosed and treated by a splenectomy, is reported...
- Hepatosplenic T-gammadelta lymphoma in a patient with Crohn's disease treated with azathioprineJosé Tomás Navarro
Department of Haematology, Hospital Universitari Germans Trias i Pujol, Badalona, Universitat Autonoma de Barcelona, Barcelona, Spain
Leuk Lymphoma 44:531-3. 2003..The patient did not respond to intensive chemotherapy. This case shows the importance of ruling out HSgammadeltaTCL in patients with hepatosplenomegaly, B-symptoms and any immunosuppressive condition...
- Sclerosing angiomatoid nodular transformation (SANT): report of 25 cases of a distinctive benign splenic lesionMaritza Martel
Department of Pathology, The National Cancer Institute, Milan, Italy
Am J Surg Pathol 28:1268-79. 2004....
- Presentation of esophageal cancer with solitary splenic metastasisLuigi Cavanna
Am J Clin Oncol 28:636-7. 2005
- Splenic metastasis from esophageal cancer: report of a caseSudip Sanyal
Department of General Surgery, Post Graduate Institute of Medical Education and Research, Chandigarh, India
Surg Today 35:988-90. 2005..A splenectomy, distal pancreatectomy, and resection of the splenic flexure with colocolic anastomosis were performed. A histological examination of the resected specimen showed squamous cell carcinoma...
- Late splenic metastasis after curative resection for oesophageal carcinomaSoumil J Vyas
Department of Thoracic Surgery, Tata Memorial Hospital, Bombay, India
Eur J Cardiothorac Surg 22:1011-3. 2002..We report herewith one such instance of metastatic involvement of the spleen in an operated case of carcinoma oesophagus...
- Image of the month. Littoral cell angiomaShih Ping Cheng
Department of Surgery, Mackay Memorial Hospital, Taipei, Taiwan
Arch Surg 140:1127-8. 2005
- Primary angiosarcoma of the spleen in a child with long-term survivalJun Te Hsu
Department of Surgery, Chang Gung Memorial Hospital, Taoyuan, Taiwan
Pediatr Surg Int 23:807-10. 2007..The postoperative course was uneventful. The patient was disease free at 16 years after surgery. This is the longest reported duration of survival in a patient with splenic angiosarcoma...
- Antiangiogenic therapy for a large splenic hemangiomaSaleem Islam
Department of Surgery, Division of Pediatric Surgery, University of Mississippi Medical Center, 2500 North State Street, Jackson, MS 39216, USA
Pediatr Surg Int 21:1007-10. 2005..Antiangiogenic treatment has not been reported previously as an effective alternative for this type of lesion. We report our experience of successfully using glucocorticoids in an infant with a large hemangioma of the spleen...
- Splenic marginal zone lymphoma with micronodular T-cell rich B-cell lymphomaSa A Wang
Department of Pathology, Massachusetts General Hospital, 55 Fruit Street, Boston, MA 02114, USA
Am J Surg Pathol 30:128-32. 2006..We describe a unique case of splenic marginal zone lymphoma associated with micronodular T cell/histiocyte-rich large B-cell lymphoma in the red pulp, a combination that has not previously reported in the literature...
- Littoral cell angiomaCraig Johnson
Department of Diagnostic Radiology, Northeastern Ohio Universities College of Medicine Canton Affiliated Hospitals, 2600 Sixth Street SW, Canton, OH 44710, USA
Clin Imaging 31:27-31. 2007..LCA was diagnosed by ultrasound (US)-guided biopsy. She was successfully treated with laparoscopic splenectomy. The CT, MRI, US, and Tc99m-RBC scan characteristics are described along with histologic and immunohistochemical correlation...
- Littoral cell angioma of the spleenShweta Bhatt
Department of Radiology, University of Rochester School of Medicine and Dentistry, 601 Elmwood Ave, Box 648, Rochester, NY 14642, USA
AJR Am J Roentgenol 188:1365-6. 2007
- Splenic micronodular T-cell/histiocyte-rich large B-cell lymphomaElena Kan
Departments of Pathology and Hematology, Soroka University Medical Center, PO Box 151, Beer Sheva 84101, Israel
Ann Diagn Pathol 12:290-2. 2008..Our case presents minor variations on the recorded features. Possible reasons for the scarcity of reports and for the confirmation of this lymphoma as a variant of T-cell-rich large B-cell lymphoma are discussed...
- Littoral-cell angioma as a rare cause of splenomegalyN Suvajdzic
Institute of Haematology, Clinical Center of Serbia, Belgrade, Serbia, Serbia and Montenegro
Clin Lab Haematol 28:317-20. 2006..The diagnosis was made after elective splenectomy. The CT images, scintigraphy and histological specimens are presented, and differential diagnoses discussed...
- Multiple littoral cell angioma of the spleen: a case report and review of the literatureZhi Bo Qu
Department of General Surgery, First Clinical College of Harbin Medical University, P R China
Onkologie 30:256-8. 2007..Littoral cell angioma (LCA) is a rare benign vascular tumor of the spleen with characteristic histomorphologic features. It is a unique splenic tumor which may present with abdominal pain or as an incidental finding...
- Metachronous splenic metastasis from colonic carcinoma five years after surgery: a case report and literature reviewPierpaolo Sileri
From the Departments of Surgery and Pathology, University of Rome Tor Vergata, Rome, Italy
South Med J 102:733-5. 2009..We also review the scant literature experience discussing clinical diagnosis and approaches to this uncommon event...
- Solitary metastatic ovarian carcinoma of the spleen: a case reportY Minagawa
Department of Obstetrics and Gynecology, Tottori University School of Medicine, Yonago, Japan
Asia Oceania J Obstet Gynaecol 17:45-8. 1991..In this paper we report a case of a solitary metastatic lesion of the spleen arising from a serous cystadenocarcinoma of the ovary 5 years after the initial operation. A splenectomy was performed followed by smooth postoperative course...
- Metastasizing splenic littoral cell hemangioendotheliomaSusan Fernandez
Department of Pathology, Stanford University, Stanford, CA 94305, USA
Am J Surg Pathol 30:1036-40. 2006..This case suggests that the presence of solid areas of clear cells in a littoral cell angioma may be a marker of low-grade malignant potential in these tumors...
- Littoral cell angioma: a case report and reviewRhonda L Harmon
GI Endocrine Surgery, Department of Surgery, University of Texas Southwestern, Dallas, Texas 75390 9156, USA
Curr Surg 63:345-50. 2006
- Littoral cell angioma mimicking pancreatic tumorHizir Akyildiz
Department of General Surgery, Erciyes University School of Medicine, Kayseri, Turkey
Surgery 141:690-1. 2007
- Tumours of the spleenAndrea Giovagnoni
Department of Radiology, University Politecnica delle Marche, Ancona, Italy
Cancer Imaging 5:73-7. 2005..The principal tumoral masses, benign (cysts, haemangiomas, litteral cell angioma, lymphangioma) and malignant (lymphoma, metastases haemangiosarcoma), are described...
- Combination of rituximab, cyclophosphamide, and vincristine induces complete hematologic remission of splenic marginal zone lymphomaLuca Arcaini
Division of Hematology, IRCCS Policlinico San Matteo, University of Pavia, Italy
Clin Lymphoma 4:250-2. 2004..The immunochemotherapy regimen was well tolerated and all patients exhibited complete remission. To our knowledge, this is the first report of splenic MZL showing response to a combination of rituximab with chemotherapy...
- Does complete resection of melanoma metastatic to solid intra-abdominal organs improve survival?T F Wood
John Wayne Cancer Institute, Santa Monica, California 90404, USA
Ann Surg Oncol 8:658-62. 2001..We hypothesized that patients with metastatic disease to intra-abdominal solid organs might also benefit from complete surgical resection...
- Splenic tumour: a clinicopathological studyL W Chen
Department of Internal Medicine, Division of Gastroenterology, Chang Gung Memorial Hospital, Keelung, Taiwan
Int J Clin Pract 58:924-7. 2004..Splenectomy is recommended only for patients with malignancies or complications such as intractable abdominal pain, coagulopathy or tumour rupture with an unstable haemodynamic state...
- Progression to large B-cell lymphoma in splenic marginal zone lymphoma: a description of a series of 12 casesF I Camacho
Molecular Pathology Program, , Madrid, Spain
Am J Surg Pathol 25:1268-76. 2001..The frequency of the 7q deletion in this series was 3 of 7 (42%). 7q loss may play an alternative role in the inactivation of the p53 and p16INK4a pathway, thereby favoring tumoral progression...
- Micronodular T-cell/histiocyte-rich large B-cell lymphoma of the spleen: histology, immunophenotype, and differential diagnosisAhmet Dogan
Department of Histopathology, University College London, London, UK
Am J Surg Pathol 27:903-11. 2003..The main differential diagnoses include granulomatous inflammation, Hodgkin's lymphoma, follicular lymphoma, and peripheral T-cell lymphomas...
- Splenic littoral cell haemangioendothelioma: a new low-grade variant of malignant littoral cell tumourO Ben-Izhak
Department of Pathology, Rambam Medical Centre, Haifa, Israel
Histopathology 39:469-75. 2001..Littoral cell angioma is a recently described splenic vascular tumour of splenic sinus lining cells. Almost all cases of splenic littoral cell tumours hitherto described were benign...
- Pathologic quiz case: multiple splenic lesions in a bacteremic patient. Littoral cell angioma of the spleenOluwole Fadare
Department of Pathology, Yale University School of Medicine and Yale New Haven Hospital, New Haven, Conn 06504, USA
Arch Pathol Lab Med 128:1183-5. 2004
- Splenic marginal-zone lymphoma: a distinct clinical and pathological entityCatherine Thieblemont
Haematology Department, Centre Hospitalier Lyon Sud, Pierre, Benite, France
Lancet Oncol 4:95-103. 2003..Splenectomy is considered the first-line treatment of choice for splenic MZL; it results in only partial remission, but responses are generally sufficient for correcting cytopenia, improving quality of life, and increasing survival...
- From the archives of the AFIP: primary vascular neoplasms of the spleen: radiologic-pathologic correlationRobert M Abbott
Radiographics 24:1137-63. 2004..Splenectomy may be required for definitive evaluation of a splenic mass with atypical features...
- Test and teach. Incidentally discovered splenic vascular lesion. Littoral cell angioma of the spleenNicholas J Musgrave
Department of Anatomical Pathology and Cytopathology, Royal Brisbane Hospital, Brisbane, Queensland, Australia
Pathology 34:579-81. 2002
- Littoral cell angioma of the spleen: appearance on sonography and CTMoshe Goldfeld
Department of Radiology, Western Galilee Hospital, POB 21, Nahariya, Israel
J Clin Ultrasound 30:510-3. 2002..The patient's recovery was uneventful. LCA should be considered when making a differential diagnosis of splenic lesions, and sonography may be more helpful than CT in reaching a diagnosis of LCA...
- Littoral cell angioma of the spleen: CT features with clinicopathologic comparisonAngela D Levy
Departments of Radiologic Pathology, Armed Forces Institute of Pathology, 6825 16th St NW, Washington, DC 20306 6000, USA
Radiology 230:485-90. 2004..To evaluate the clinical, pathologic, and computed tomographic (CT) features of littoral cell angioma of the spleen in eight patients...
- ALVEOLAR TYPE II CELL GROWTH IN INJURYRANDOLPH HASTINGS; Fiscal Year: 2003..The project will evaluate the potential use of PTHrP-related therapeutic interventions that might speed or improve recovery following silica-induced lung injury. ..
- Epidemiology of Marginal Zone LymphomaLisa Herrinton; Fiscal Year: 2003..abstract_text> ..