Genomes and Genes
hairy cell leukemia
Summary: A neoplastic disease of the lymphoreticular cells which is considered to be a rare type of chronic leukemia; it is characterized by an insidious onset, splenomegaly, anemia, granulocytopenia, thrombocytopenia, little or no lymphadenopathy, and the presence of "hairy" or "flagellated" cells in the blood and bone marrow.
Publications215 found, 100 shown here
- Treatment of hairy cell leukemia with 2-chlorodeoxyadenosine via the Group C protocol mechanism of the National Cancer Institute: a report of 979 patientsB D Cheson
National Cancer Institute, National Institutes of Health, Bethesda, MD 20892, USA
J Clin Oncol 16:3007-15. 1998To provide cladribine (CdA) to physicians for the treatment of patients with previously treated or untreated hairy cell leukemia (HCL), and to determine the response rate, response duration, survival, and toxicity with this agent.
- Hairy cell leukemia: survival and relapse. Long-term follow-up of purine analog-based therapy and approach for relapsed diseaseMartin S Tallman
Northwestern University Feinberg School of Medicine, Division of Hematology Oncology, Robert H Lurie Comprehensive Cancer Center, 676 N St Clair Street, Suite 850, Chicago, IL 60611, USA
Transfus Apher Sci 32:99-103. 2005..its initial description approximately 50 years ago, there has been an impressive evolution in therapies for hairy cell leukemia. Long-term follow-up with 2-cholorodeoxyadenosine and 2'-deoxycoformycin demonstrates that both agents ..
- Exposure to pesticides as risk factor for non-Hodgkin's lymphoma and hairy cell leukemia: pooled analysis of two Swedish case-control studiesLennart Hardell
Department of Oncology, Orebro University Hospital, Sweden
Leuk Lymphoma 43:1043-9. 2002..the etiology of NHL a pooled analysis was performed on two case-control studies, one on NHL and another on hairy cell leukemia (HCL), a rare subtype of NHL...
- Tumor cells of hairy cell leukemia express multiple clonally related immunoglobulin isotypes via RNA splicingF Forconi
Molecular Immunology Group, Tenovus Laboratory, Southampton University Hospitals, Southampton, United Kingdom
Blood 98:1174-81. 2001b>Hairy cell leukemia (HCL) derives from a mature B cell and expresses markers associated with activation...
- Phase II trial of recombinant immunotoxin RFB4(dsFv)-PE38 (BL22) in patients with hairy cell leukemiaRobert J Kreitman
Laboratory of Molecular Biology, Laboratory of Clinical Pathology, and Medicine Branch, National Cancer Institute, NIH, Bethesda, MD 20892, USA
J Clin Oncol 27:2983-90. 2009To conduct a phase II trial in chemoresistant hairy cell leukemia (HCL) with BL22, a recombinant anti-CD22 immunotoxin which showed phase I activity in HCL.
- VH4-34+ hairy cell leukemia, a new variant with poor prognosis despite standard therapyEvgeny Arons
Laboratories of Molecular Biology, National Cancer Institute, National Institutes of Health, Bethesda, MD, USA
Blood 114:4687-95. 2009b>Hairy cell leukemia variant (HCLv) presents with high disease burden, lack of typical antigens like CD25, and poor response to standard treatments like cladribine. Occasionally, patients with classic HCL respond poorly...
- Acute myeloid leukemia following treatment with cladribine for hairy cell leukemia: a case report and review of the literatureR Hassan
Department of Medicine Hematology Oncology Section, University of Oklahoma Health Sciences Center, Oklahoma City, USA
Leuk Lymphoma 45:2149-52. 2004The overall survival of patients with hairy cell leukemia (HCL) has significantly increased in recent years because of the development of effective treatments such as interferon alpha and purine analogs...
- Expression and activity of NOX5 in the circulating malignant B cells of hairy cell leukemiaAura S Kamiguti
Department of Hematology, Royal Liverpool Hospital, University of Liverpool, Liverpool, United Kingdom
J Immunol 175:8424-30. 2005..This allows the inactivation of SHP-1 by NOX5-generated ROS and contributes to the maintenance of the constitutive activation of HCs...
- FCRL1 on chronic lymphocytic leukemia, hairy cell leukemia, and B-cell non-Hodgkin lymphoma as a target of immunotoxinsXing Du
Laboratory of Molecular Biology, Center for Cancer Research, National Cancer Institute, National Institutes of Health, Bethesda, MD 20892 4264, USA
Blood 111:338-43. 2008..patient samples: 12 of 14 chronic lymphocytic leukemia (CLL), 7 of 7 follicular lymphoma (FL), 13 of 17 hairy cell leukemia (HCL), and 2 of 3 mantle cell lymphoma (MCL)...
- Hairy cell leukemia: at the crossroad of somatic mutation and isotype switchFrancesco Forconi
Unità Operativa Complessa Ematologia e Trapianti, Dipartimento di Medicina Clinica e Scienze Immunologiche, Universita di Siena, Italy
Blood 104:3312-7. 2004b>Hairy cell leukemia (HCL) commonly expresses multiple immunoglobulin isotypes, a feature rare in other B-cell malignancies or in normal B cells...
- Eradication of minimal residual disease in hairy cell leukemiaFarhad Ravandi
Department of Leukemia, University of Texas, M D Anderson Cancer Center, Houston, TX 77030, USA
Blood 107:4658-62. 2006Although the nucleoside analogs cladribine and pentostatin produce high response rates in patients with hairy cell leukemia (HCL), a significant number of patients eventually relapse...
- Changes in finances, insurance, employment, and lifestyle among persons diagnosed with hairy cell leukemiaJ Hounshell
VA Chicago Health Care System-Lakeside Division, Chicago, Illinois 60611, USA
Oncologist 6:435-40. 2001..To address these concerns, patients with hairy cell leukemia, a cancer with a very high cure rate, were queried about employment, insurance, finances, and lifestyle ..
- Multiple myeloma and hairy cell leukemia: a rare association or coincidence?M W Saif
NCI, National Naval Medical Center, Bethesda, MD 20892, USA
Leuk Lymphoma 42:1043-8. 2001b>Hairy cell leukemia (HCL) and multiple myeloma (MM) are well-defined entities with distinctive clinical and pathological features...
- Absence of surface CD27 distinguishes hairy cell leukemia from other leukemic B-cell malignanciesFrancesco Forconi
Haematologica 90:266-8. 2005Surface expression of CD27 was evaluated in 75 mature leukemic B-cell neoplasms. All cases other than hairy cell leukemia (HCL) expressed CD27. Intensity was significantly higher in chronic lymphocytic leukemia...
- Simultaneous diagnosis of hairy cell leukemia and chronic lymphocytic leukemia/small lymphocytic lymphoma: a frequent association?E Gine
Institute of Hematology and Oncology, Department of Hematology, Hospital Clinic, Institut d Investigacions Biomediques August Pi i Sunyer IDIBAPS, Barcelona, Spain
Leukemia 16:1454-9. 2002The association of hairy cell leukemia (HCL) with other neoplasms, mainly non-Hodgkin's lymphomas, is well known...
- Simultaneous manifestation of chronic lymphocytic leukemia (CLL) and hairy cell leukemia (HCL)Lubomir Sokol
Department of Interdisciplinary Oncology, University of South Florida, H Lee Moffitt Cancer Center and Research Institute, Tampa, Florida, USA
Am J Hematol 75:107-9. 2004..Caucasian male with the initial simultaneous manifestation of chronic lymphocytic leukemia (CLL) and hairy cell leukemia (HCL)...
- Hairy cell leukemia: biology, clinical diagnosis, unusual manifestations and associated disordersAaron Polliack
Department of Hematology, Hadassah University Hospital, Jerusalem, Israel
Rev Clin Exp Hematol 6:366-88; discussion 449-50. 2002
- Central role of protein kinase Cepsilon in constitutive activation of ERK1/2 and Rac1 in the malignant cells of hairy cell leukemiaJoseph R Slupsky
Department of Haematology, Royal Liverpool University Hospital, Liverpool, UK L69 3GA
Am J Pathol 170:745-54. 2007..constitutive activation of extracellular signal-regulated kinase (ERK) in the hairy cells (HCs) of hairy cell leukemia. The aim of the present study was to characterize the signaling components involved in this activation and ..
- Hairy cell leukemia associated with large granular lymphocyte leukemia: immunologic and genomic study, effect of interferon treatmentJ P Marolleau
Institut National de la Santé et de la Recherche Médicale INSERM U 91, Hopital Henri Mondor, Creteil, France
Blood 72:655-60. 1988The authors describe a patient who presented an association of hairy cell leukemia (HCL) and large granular lymphocyte (LGL) leukemia. An eventual relationship between these two rare entities is analyzed...
- How I treat hairy cell leukemiaMichael R Grever
Department of Internal Medicine, Ohio State University, Columbus, OH, USA
Blood 115:21-8. 2010The description of hairy cell leukemia as a specific clinical entity was published 50 years ago...
- Very long-term eradication of minimal residual disease in patients with hairy cell leukemia after a single course of cladribineDarren S Sigal
Division of Hematology Oncology, Scripps Clinic Medical Group, 10666 N Torrey Pines Rd, MS217, La Jolla, CA 92037, USA
Blood 115:1893-6. 2010Cladribine induces protracted remissions in patients with hairy cell leukemia (HCL). However, many long-term responders ultimately relapse...
- TGF-beta1 induces bone marrow reticulin fibrosis in hairy cell leukemiaMedhat Shehata
Department of Hematology, Clinic of Internal Medicine I, Vienna, Austria
J Clin Invest 113:676-85. 2004The mechanisms that lead to reticulin fibrosis of bone marrow (BM) in hairy cell leukemia (HCL) are not fully understood. We therefore investigated the involvement of TGF-beta1, a potent fibrogenic cytokine, in this process...
- Successful pregnancy after cladribine therapy for hairy cell leukemiaRobert Z Orlowski
The Lineberger Comprehensive Cancer Center, University of North Carolina at Chapel Hill, Chapel Hill, North Carolina 27599 7295, USA
Leuk Lymphoma 45:187-8. 2004b>Hairy cell leukemia (HCL) is predominantly seen in men with a median age of 52, and often treated with 2-chlorodeoxyadenosine (cladribine, 2-CdA)...
- Immunophenotypic variations in hairy cell leukemiaYi Hua Chen
Department of Pathology, Feinberg School of Medicine, Northwestern University, Chicago, IL 60611, USA
Am J Clin Pathol 125:251-9. 2006b>Hairy cell leukemia (HCL) exhibits a characteristic immunophenotypic profile that is strongly positive for pan-B-cell markers; positive for CD103, CD11c. and CD25; and usually negative for CD5, CD10, and CD23...
- Risk of additional cancers in untreated and treated hairy cell leukemia patientsConstantin A Dasanu
St Francis Hospital and Medical Center, Department of Hematology Oncology, Gothic Park, 43 Woodland Street, G 80, Hartford, CT 06105, USA
Expert Opin Pharmacother 11:41-50. 2010One of the feared events encountered in hairy cell leukemia (HCL) survivors is the subsequent development of a malignant neoplasm...
- Treatment of hairy cell leukemia with 2-chlorodeoxyadenosine (2-CdA): long-term follow-up of the Northwestern University experiencePunit Chadha
Division of Hematology Oncology, Department of Medicine, Northwestern University Feinberg School of Medicine, 676 N St Clair St, Suite 700, Chicago, IL 60611, USA
Blood 106:241-6. 2005..2-CdA), a purine analog, has become universally accepted as the agent of choice in treating hairy cell leukemia (HCL). However, few studies have reported long-term outcomes after 2-CdA treatment...
- 2-CdA in the treatment of hairy cell leukemia: a review of long-term follow-upAdi Gidron
Division of Hematology Oncology, Department of Medicine, Northwestern University Feinberg School of Medicine and the Robert H Lurie Comprehensive Cancer Center of Northwestern University, Chicago, IL 60611, USA
Leuk Lymphoma 47:2301-7. 2006b>Hairy cell leukemia is a rare, indolent, chronic lymphoproliferative disorder characterized by the proliferation of a malignant B-cell clone with irregular cytoplasmic projections...
- An update: 12-year follow-up of patients with hairy cell leukemia following treatment with 2-chlorodeoxyadenosineU Jehn
Klinikum Grosshadern, Ludwig Maximilians University, Munich, Germany
Leukemia 18:1476-81. 2004Long-term results of both pretreated and previously untreated patients (pts) with hairy cell leukemia (HCL) using uniformly a single 7-day course of 2-chlorodeoxyadenosine (2-CdA) by continuous infusion are reported...
- Cladribine in the treatment of hairy cell leukemia: initial and subsequent resultsEdward Huynh
Division of Hematology Oncology, Scripps Clinic, La Jolla, CA 92037, USA
Leuk Lymphoma 50:12-7. 2009b>Hairy cell leukemia (HCL) is a chronic B-cell lymphoproliferative disorder associated with pancytopenia, splenomegaly, and recurrent infections...
- Immunophenotypic analysis of CD103+ B-lymphoproliferative disorders: hairy cell leukemia and its mimicsHenry Y Dong
Genzyme Genetics, 521 W 57th St, New York, NY 10019, USA
Am J Clin Pathol 131:586-95. 2009CD103 is characteristically expressed in hairy cell leukemia (HCL), a B-lymphoproliferative disorder highly responsive to treatment with purine analogs...
- Gene expression profiling of hairy cell leukemia reveals a phenotype related to memory B cells with altered expression of chemokine and adhesion receptorsKatia Basso
Institute of Hematology, Policlinico Monteluce, Perugia 06100, Italy
J Exp Med 199:59-68. 2004b>Hairy cell leukemia (HCL) is a chronic B cell malignancy characterized by the diffuse infiltration of bone marrow and spleen by cells displaying a typical "hairy" morphology...
- Elevated antibody levels to Epstein-Bbarr virus antigens in patients with hairy cell leukemia compared to controls in relation to exposure to pesticides, organic solvents, animals, and exhaustsM Nordstrom
Department of Oncology, Orebro Medical Centre, Sweden
Oncol Res 11:539-44. 1999..b>Hairy cell leukemia (HCL) is a rare, indolent non-Hodgkin lymphoma, originating from B-lymphocytes...
- Integrated human T-cell leukemia virus II genome in CD8 + T cells from a patient with "atypical" hairy cell leukemia: evidence for distinct T and B cell lymphoproliferative disordersJ D Rosenblatt
Department of Medicine, UCLA School of Medicine 90024 1678
Blood 71:363-9. 1988..R.A.) with atypical hairy cell leukemia. Follow-up analysis of the characteristics of the patient's HTLV-II infection over a 2-year period has ..
- Second cancer incidence and cause-specific mortality among 3104 patients with hairy cell leukemia: a population-based studyMichie Hisada
Division of Cancer Epidemiology and Genetics, National Cancer Institute, National Institutes of Health, 6120 Executive Blvd, EPS 8008, Bethesda, MD 20892 7201, USA
J Natl Cancer Inst 99:215-22. 2007The introduction of new treatments for hairy cell leukemia has resulted in improved patient survival but also engendered increasing concern about the possibility of excess second cancers...
- Disruption of a novel ectodermal neural cortex 1 antisense gene, ENC-1AS and identification of ENC-1 overexpression in hairy cell leukemiaMarianne Hammarsund
Department of Oncology Pathology, CCK, Karolinska Hopsital and Institute, Stockholm, Sweden
Hum Mol Genet 13:2925-36. 2004Karyotypical alteration of chromosome 5 and in particular band 5q13 is a frequent finding in hairy cell leukemia (HCL). We have previously identified a number of candidate genes localized in close proximity to a constitutional inv(5)(p13...
- Phase 2 study of rituximab in the treatment of cladribine-failed patients with hairy cell leukemiaJorge Nieva
Division of Hematology Oncology and Department of Pathology, Scripps Clinic, La Jolla, CA, USA
Blood 102:810-3. 2003b>Hairy cell leukemia (HCL) is an indolent B-cell neoplasm, strongly expressing CD20. Despite initial very high response rates following cladribine, many patients (pts) ultimately relapse...
- Long-term follow-up of interferon-alpha induction and low-dose maintenance therapy in hairy cell leukemiaRudolf Benz
Clinic for Haematology and Oncology, Department of Internal Medicine, Kantonsspital Munsterlingen, Munsterlingen, Switzerland
Eur J Haematol 82:194-200. 2009Interferon-alpha (IFNalpha) was the first effective pharmacologic treatment of hairy cell leukemia (HCL)...
- CD11c gene expression in hairy cell leukemia is dependent upon activation of the proto-oncogenes ras and junDFotini Nicolaou
Renal Unit, Massachusetts General Hospital, Charlestown, MA 02129, USA
Blood 101:4033-41. 2003b>Hairy cell leukemia (HCL) is a chronic lymphoproliferative disease, the cause of which is unknown. Diagnostic of HCL is abnormal expression of the gene that encodes the beta2 integrin CD11c...
- Advances in the treatment of hairy-cell leukaemiaUlrich Mey
Department of Internal Medicine I, University of Bonn, Germany
Lancet Oncol 4:86-94. 2003..In this review the different treatment options available are discussed and recommendations for the clinical management of the HCL are summarised...
- Underexpression of RhoH in Hairy Cell LeukemiaSylvie Galiegue-Zouitina
Institut National de la Santé et de la Recherche Medicale U 837, Centre Jean Pierre Aubert, Institut de Recherches sur le Cancer de Lille and Université Droit et Santé de Lille II, Lille, France
Cancer Res 68:4531-40. 2008The cause of hairy cell leukemia (HCL) is unknown. Current treatments seem effective only for a limited period of time. In addition, a significant proportion of patients remain refractive to all treatment options...
- Hairy cell leukemia: an elusive but treatable diseaseSam O Wanko
Duke University Medical Center, Division of Hematology Oncology and Bone Marrow Transplant, Durham, North Carolina 27710, USA
Oncologist 11:780-9. 2006b>Hairy cell leukemia (HCL) is a unique chronic lymphoproliferative disorder that can mimic or coexist with other clonal hematologic disorders and has been associated with autoimmune disorders...
- Immunohistochemical detection of cyclin D1 using optimized conditions is highly specific for mantle cell lymphoma and hairy cell leukemiaR N Miranda
Department of Pathology, Truman Medical Center and University of Missouri Kansas City, 64108, USA
Mod Pathol 13:1308-14. 2000..In addition, increased levels of cyclin D1 mRNA have been found in hairy cell leukemia but have not consistently been detected by immunohistochemistry...
- Two cases of chronic lymphoproliferative disorders in psoriatic patients treated with cyclosporine: hairy cell leukemia and Waldenstrom macroglobulinemiaClaudio Fozza
Istituto di Ematologia, Universita di Sassari, Viale San Pietro 12, 07100 Sassari, Italy
Eur J Dermatol 15:271-3. 2005..Here we describe the occurrence of hairy cell leukemia and Waldenstrom macroglobulinemia in two psoriatic patients treated with cyclosporine A...
- Hairy cell leukemia and sarcoidosis: a case report and review of the literatureG Schiller
Leukemia 17:2057-9. 2003
- Differential expression of chemokine receptors in B cell malignanciesJ Durig
Department of Haematology, University Hospital Essen, Germany
Leukemia 15:752-6. 2001..However, CCR5 staining was seen in three of five cases of HCL, representing the first example of cross-lineage aberrant chemokine receptor expression in malignant haemopoietic cells...
- Rituximab in relapsed or refractory hairy cell leukemiaDeborah A Thomas
Department of Leukemia, The University of Texas M D Anderson Cancer Center, 1515 Holcombe Blvd, Box 428, Houston, TX 77030, USA
Blood 102:3906-11. 2003..was to investigate the efficacy and safety of the monoclonal antibody, rituximab, in relapsed or refractory hairy cell leukemia (HCL)...
- Erythema nodosum in association with newly diagnosed hairy cell leukemia and group C streptococcus infectionRishi R Patel
Department of Dermatology, Case Western Reserve University, University Hospitals of Cleveland, Cleveland, OH, USA
Am J Dermatopathol 30:160-2. 2008..There are many diseases associated with erythema nodosum; we propose that hairy cell leukemia and group C streptococcus be considered among this list.
- Hairy cell leukemia: treatment successes in the past 25 yearsHarvey M Golomb
University of Chicago, Chicago, IL, USA
J Clin Oncol 26:2607-9. 2008
- Efficacy of anti-CD20 monoclonal antibodies (Mabthera) in patients with progressed hairy cell leukemiaF Lauria
Department of Hematology A Sclavo Hospital, Via Tufi 1, 53100 Siena, Italy
Haematologica 86:1046-50. 2001..Based on these premises we evaluated the efficacy and the toxicity of chimeric anti-CD20 monoclonal antibody (MoAb) in relapsed/progressed hairy cell leukemia (HCL).
- Concentrations of organochlorines related to titers to Epstein-Barr virus early antigen IgG as risk factors for hairy cell leukemiaM Nordstrom
Department of Oncology, Orebro Medical Centre, Orebro, Sweden
Environ Health Perspect 108:441-5. 2000b>Hairy cell leukemia (HCL) is a rare chronic B-cell malignancy that, according to modern classifications, is a subgroup of non-Hodgkin lymphomas (NHLs). A rapid increase in incidence of NHL has been reported in many countries...
- [Hairy cell leukemia in pregnancy]Izabella Kopeć
Instytut Hematologii i Transfuzjologii w Warszawie
Ginekol Pol 76:898-901. 2005..The placenta was of normal size, no infiltration of hairy cell was founded. Post-partum course was uncomplicated. The patient elected to not breast feed her infant. 3 weeks after delivery patient had a 5-days course of 2CDA..
- Molecular analysis of the human chromosome 5q13.3 region in patients with hairy cell leukemia and identification of tumor suppressor gene candidatesX Wu
Radiumhemmet, Karolinska Hospital, Stockholm, Sweden
Genomics 60:161-71. 1999The pathogenesis of hairy cell leukemia (HCL) remains largely unknown since no specific genetic lesion has been identified in this disease...
- Hairy cell leukemia: an updateGrant R Goodman
Division of Hematology Oncology, Scripps Clinic, La Jolla, California 92037, USA
Curr Opin Hematol 10:258-66. 2003b>Hairy cell leukemia is an indolent, chronic B-cell lymphoproliferative disorder comprising approximately 2 to 3% of all adult leukemias in the United States. Hairy cells are clonal expansions of mature, activated B-cells...
- Long remissions in hairy cell leukemia with purine analogs: a report of 219 patients with a median follow-up of 12.5 yearsMonica Else
Section of Haemato oncology, Royal Marsden NHS Foundation Trust Institute of Cancer Research ICR, Sutton, United Kingdom
Cancer 104:2442-8. 2005Both pentostatin and cladribine have efficacy in hairy cell leukemia (HCL), but it is not known which agent achieves better results.
- Hairy cell leukemiaPaul Timothy Fanta
Scripps Clinic, La Jolla, CA, USA
Cancer Treat Res 142:193-209. 2008b>Hairy cell leukemia is an indolent B-cell non-Hodgkin's lymphoma with a characteristic presentation of pancytopenia, splenomegaly, and circulating hairy cells. An immunophenotypic pattern of CD11c, CD25, and CD103 expression...
- Long-term follow-up of front-line treatment of hairy cell leukemia with 2-chlorodeoxyadenosinePier Luigi Zinzani
Institute of Hematology and Medical Oncology L e A Seràgnoli, University of Bologna, Italy
Haematologica 89:309-13. 2004Although remission of hairy cell leukemia (HCL) after treatment with 2-chlorodeoxyadenosine (2-CdA) appears to be long lasting, few reports currently provide results from follow-up exceeding 5 years.
- Delayed suprachoroidal hemorrhage after needle revision of trabeculectomy bleb in a patient with hairy cell leukemiaPadmanabha Pillai Syam
Department of Ophthalmology, Calderdale and Huddersfield National Health Service Trust, Huddersfield Royal Infirmary, Lindley, Huddersfield, United Kingdom
Am J Ophthalmol 136:1155-7. 2003To report a rare complication, delayed suprachoroidal hemorrhage, of needle revision of a nonfunctioning trabeculectomy bleb in a patient with previously undetected hairy cell leukemia.
- Hairy cell leukemia: an autopsy studyKarel Dedic
Charles University in Prague, Faculty of Medicine in Hradec Králové The Fingerland Department of Pathology, Czech Republic
Acta Medica (Hradec Kralove) 46:175-7. 2003Autopsy study from 21 patients with hairy cell leukemia was performed. All patients had the expected widespread involvement of the hematopoietic system. Leukemic infiltration of lymph nodes was detected in 12 cases...
- Comparative expressed sequence hybridization studies of hairy cell leukemia show uniform expression profile and imprint of spleen signatureVera Vanhentenrijk
Division of Morphology and Molecualr Pathology and Center for Human Genetics, Katholieke Universiteit Leuven, Belgium
Blood 104:250-5. 2004..We applied CESH for the study of hairy cell leukemia (HCL), a disorder with a largely unknown expression profile...
- Extended follow-up of patients with hairy cell leukemia after treatment with cladribineGrant R Goodman
Division of Hematology Oncology, The Scripps Research Institute, La Jolla, CA, USA
J Clin Oncol 21:891-6. 2003b>Hairy cell leukemia (HCL) is an uncommon, indolent, chronic B-cell lymphoproliferative disorder involving the marrow and spleen. Therapy for HCL includes splenectomy, interferon alfa-2a and alfa-2b, pentostatin, and cladribine...
- Immunoglobulin superfamily receptor translocation associated 2 protein on lymphoma cell lines and hairy cell leukemia cells detected by novel monoclonal antibodiesTomoko Ise
Laboratory of Molecular Biology, Center for Cancer Research, National Cancer Institute, NIH, Bethesda, Maryland 20892 4264, USA
Clin Cancer Res 11:87-96. 2005..To study the expression of the IRTA2 gene product, we produced monoclonal antibodies (MAbs) specific to IRTA2...
- Risk factors for severe infection in patients with hairy cell leukemia: a long-term study of 73 patientsGhandi Damaj
Hematology, Amiens University Medical Center, Amiens, France
Eur J Haematol 83:246-50. 2009Although the survival of patients with hairy cell leukemia (HCL) has been improved by the therapeutic introduction of interferon alpha and purine analogs, it is still worsened by complications such as severe infections...
- Response of hairy cells to IFN-alpha involves induction of apoptosis through autocrine TNF-alpha and protection by adhesionPeter K Baker
Department of Haematology, University of Liverpool, United Kingdom
Blood 100:647-53. 2002Although hairy cell leukemia is uniquely sensitive to interferon-alpha (IFN-alpha), the biologic basis for this phenomenon remains unclear...
- Long-term outcome with pentostatin treatment in hairy cell leukemia patients. A French retrospective study of 238 patientsF Maloisel
Département d Hématologie et d Oncologie, HUS, Strasbourg, France
Leukemia 17:45-51. 2003With the introduction of new drugs such as alpha-interferon (IFN) and purine analogs, the management of hairy cell leukemia (HCL) patients has changed. However, deoxycoformycin (DCF) produced higher complete remission rates than IFN...
- Aberrant expression and localization of the cytoskeleton-binding pp52 (LSP1) protein in hairy cell leukemiaE K Miyoshi
Department of Microbiology and Immunology, UCLA School of Medicine, 9 Los Angeles, CA 90095, USA
Leuk Res 25:57-67. 2001..cell surface projections and cytoskeleton-mediated functional defects are distinguishing features of both hairy cell leukemia (HCL) and neutrophil actin dysfunction (NAD)...
- Clinical presentations and complications of hairy cell leukemiaMark A Hoffman
Department of Medicine, Albert Einstein College of Medicine, 1300 Morris Park Avenue, Bronx, NY 10461, USA
Hematol Oncol Clin North Am 20:1065-73. 2006..Infectious complications, which were common in the past and the major cause of death, have become rare in the era of purine analog therapy. Whether there is a true increased risk for second malignancies remains controversial...
- Cryptococcus neoformans meningitis in a patient with hairy cell leukemiaGuncag Dincol
Am J Hematol 81:387. 2006
- Multiple opportunistic infections after high-dose steroid therapy for giant cell arteritis in a patient previously treated with a purine analogParham Sendi
Unit of Infectious Diseases, Basel University Medical Clinic Liestal, Switzerland
Scand J Infect Dis 38:922-4. 2006..Purine analog therapy can lead to long lasting defects in cell-mediated immunity. In these patients, treatment with steroids should be closely monitored with CD4 counts...
- [Bone marrow fibrosis during therapy of hairy cell leukemia]K Dedic
Fingerlanduv ustav patologie, Lekarska fakulta v Hradci Kralove, Univerzita Karlova, Praha
Cesk Patol 40:22-4. 2004The influence of Cladribin therapy to bone marrow fibrosis in patients with hairy cell leukemia was studied...
- Complete remission of hairy cell leukemia variant (HCL-v) complicated by red cell aplasia post treatment with rituximabHang Quach
Haematology Service, Peter MacCallum Cancer Centre, St Andrew s Place, East Melbourne, Victoria, Australia
Haematologica 90:ECR26. 2005b>Hairy cell leukemia variant (HCL-v) is a rare form of a chronic B-cell lymphoproliferative disorder...
- Cladribine in hairy cell leukemiaRajesh Belani
Division of Hematology Oncology, M S 217, Scripps Clinic, 10666 North Torrey Pines Road, La Jolla, CA 92037, USA
Hematol Oncol Clin North Am 20:1109-23. 2006..Future strategies should address combination therapy with purine analogs and monclonal antibodies. These strategies should address eradication of MRD in an attempt to develop a potentially curative combination treatment program...
- Development of hairy cell leukemia in a patient after cardiac transplantationLawrence Tsao
Department of Pathology, Columbia University, New York, NY, USA
Leuk Lymphoma 47:361-3. 2006..b>Hairy cell leukemia, a low-grade B-cell lymphoproliferation, has not been recognized as part of the PTLD spectrum...
- Cladribine: from the bench to the bedside--focus on hairy cell leukemiaNatalya Greyz
Division of Hematology Oncology, Scripps Clinics, La Jolla, CA 92037, USA
Expert Rev Anticancer Ther 4:745-57. 2004..Cladribine is well established as first-line treatment for hairy cell leukemia, inducing an overall response rate of 75-100%, with the majority being complete responses following only a ..
- Successful induction of long-term remission using rituximab in a patient with refractory hairy cell leukemia-Japanese variantTomoyuki Imamura
Second Department of Internal Medicine, Faculty of Medicine, Oita University, Oita, Japan
Int J Hematol 80:432-4. 2004We report the case of a 76-year-old man with hairy cell leukemia (HCL)-Japanese variant who underwent rituximab therapy...
- Alemtuzumab (Campath 1H) in hairy cell leukaemia relapsing after rituximab treatmentThomas Fietz
Hematol J 5:451-2. 2004
- Potential predictive patterns of minimal residual disease detected by immunohistochemistry on bone marrow biopsy specimens during a long-term follow-up in patients treated with cladribine for hairy cell leukemiaPaulette Mhawech-Fauceglia
Department of Pathology, Geneva University Hospital, Geneva, Switzerland
Arch Pathol Lab Med 130:374-7. 2006..Minimal residual disease (MRD) in patients treated for hairy cell (HC) leukemia as assessed by immunohistochemistry has not been included routinely in evaluation of treatment results...
- Role of low-dose 2-CdA in refractory or resistant lymphoplasmocytic lymphomaG Cervetti
Hematology Division, Department of Oncology, Transplants and Advanced Technologies, University of Pisa, Pisa, Italy
J Chemother 16:388-91. 2004..lymphocytes, plays an important role in the treatment of indolent lymphoproliferative malignancies such as Hairy Cell Leukemia (HCL), Chronic Lymphocytic Leukemia (CLL), Lymphoplasmocytic Lymphoma (LPL), Waldenström's ..
- Successful treatment of extranodal Hodgkin's lymphoma in a patient with longstanding hairy cell leukemiaM Gotic
Institute of Hematology, Clinical Center of Serbia, Belgrade, Serbia and Montenegro
Leuk Lymphoma 46:765-9. 2005Purine analogs, particularly pentostatin and cladribine, are highly effective in hairy cell leukemia (HCL). Both of these drugs induce responses in approximately 80-95% of patients...
- Hairy cell leukemia: clinical presentation and long term follow up after treatment with 2-chlorodeoxyadenosine (2-CdA)Fareena Bilwani
Department of Pathology, The Aga Khan University Hospital, Karachi
J Pak Med Assoc 55:212-3. 2005..Seven patients with hairy cell leukemia were diagnosed between January 1990 till December 2003...
- [Successful induction and complete improvement of myelofibrosis and erythema nosodum with cladribine in a case of hairy cell leukemia]Hironobu Araki
Fourth Dept of Internal Medicine, School of Medicine, Sapporo Medical University
Gan To Kagaku Ryoho 31:965-9. 2004..acid phosphatase (TRAP) staining and scanning electron microscopy of peripheral blood lymphocytes indicated hairy cell leukemia. After administration of cladribine (0...
- Rituximab as treatment for minimal residual disease in hairy cell leukaemiaGiulia Cervetti
Section of Hematology, Department of Oncology, Transplants and Advances in Medicine, University of Pisa, Pisa, Italy
Eur J Haematol 73:412-7. 2004Purine analogues have dramatically improved the outcome of patients affected by hairy cell leukemia (HCL), although complete eradication of disease was achieved in few cases...
- [Successful treatment with cladribine for hypoplastic hairy cell leukemia after long-term neutropenia]Rika Sakai
Department of Hematology and Immunology, Fujisawa City Hospital
Rinsho Ketsueki 46:1187-90. 2005..The patient was diagnosed as having hypoplastic hairy cell leukemia and received cladribine (2-CdA) for seven days via continuous intravenous injection...
- Phase II clinical study of cladribine in the treatment of hairy cell leukemiaTakashi Machii
Department of Hematology and Oncology, Osaka University Graduate School of Medicine, Osaka, Japan
Int J Hematol 82:230-5. 2005..efficacy of cladribine (2-chlorodeoxyadenosine [2-CdA]) in the treatment of Japanese patients with hairy cell leukemia (HCL). Seven patients with classic HCL and 3 with a prolymphocytic HCL variant were administered 2-CdA (0...
- Effect of 2-chlorodeoxyadenosine therapy on bone marrow fibrosis in hairy cell leukemiaK Dedic
The Fingerland Department of Pathology, Charles University Faculty of Medicine, Hradec Kralove, 500 05 Czech Republic
Neoplasma 51:56-8. 2004The study shows the influence of 2-chlorodeoxyadenosine therapy on bone marrow fibrosis in patients with hairy cell leukemia. Eighteen patients were studied; bone marrow fibrosis was graded 0-4 according to the quantity and pattern of ..
- Hairy cell leukemia in father and sonMustafa Cetiner
School of Medicine, Department of Hematology, Marmara University, Istanbul, Turkey
Med Oncol 20:375-8. 2003b>Hairy cell leukemia (HCL) is an uncommon B cell disorder, and familial HCL is rarely encountered among the first degree relatives of HCL patients. A father and son, both of whom developed hairy cell leukemia, is presented in this report...
- [Therapeutic effectiveness of cladribine and cellular immunodeficiency--related effects in hairy-cell leukemia?]L Raida
Hemato onkologická klinika Fakultní nemocnice, Olomouc
Vnitr Lek 48:384-9. 2002..The results of this clinical observation are consistent with some reported clinical and experimental observations...
- [Hairy cell leukemia treated with cladribine]Waleed Ghanima
Seksjon for blodsykdommer Medisinsk avdeling Rikshospitalet 0027 Oslo
Tidsskr Nor Laegeforen 122:1094-7. 2002..Hairy cell leukaemia is a chronic B-cell disorder that follows an indolent course. Cladribine has in the last decade emerged as the drug of choice for treating hairy cell leukaemia...
- Development of hairy cell leukemia in a patient with antiphospholipid syndromeR Diz-Kucukkaya
Division of Hematology, Department of Internal Medicine, Istanbul Faculty of Medicine, Istanbul University, Istanbul, Turkey
Lupus 16:286-8. 2007..high-positive anticardiolipin ELISA tests in 2002, and cerebral thrombosis in 2003), and then developed hairy cell leukemia (massive splenomegaly, neutropenia, hairy cells in blood smear and bone marrow trephine biopsy in 2004)...
- Severe decrease in peripheral blood dendritic cells in hairy cell leukaemiaAnne Bourguin-Plonquet
Service d Immunologie Biologique, Hopital Henri Mondor, Creteil, France
Br J Haematol 116:595-7. 2002..After treatment, both DC and monocytes recovered slowly. The decrease in DC suggests that defective antigen presentation could affect susceptibility to intracellular pathogens in HCL...
- Flow cytometry of peripheral blood and bone marrow cells from patients with hairy cell leukemia: phenotype of hairy cells, lymphocyte subsets and detection of minimal residual disease after treatmentO Babusikova
Cancer Research Institute, Slovak Academy of Sciences, Bratislava, Slovak Republic
Neoplasma 48:350-7. 2001..leukemia cells from the peripheral blood (PB) and bone marrow (BM) of 13 symptomatic patients with hairy cell leukemia (HCL)...
- [Treatment of hairy cell leukemia with cladribine]Igor Aurer
Klinika za unutarnje bolesti Medicinskog fakulteta i Klinickog bolnickog centra Zagreb
Lijec Vjesn 129:80-3. 2007b>Hairy cell leukemia is a chronic B-cell lymphoproliferative disorder characterized by clonal proliferation of hairy cells. Treatments of choice are purine analogues, particularly cladribine...
- Cladribine (2-chlorodeoxyadenosine) therapy in hairy cell leukemia variant. A report of three casesLuis Palomera
Department of Hematology, University Clinical Hospital, C San Juan Bosco, 15 50009 Zaragoza, Spain
Haematologica 87:107-8. 2002
- The role of rituximab in combination with pentostatin or cladribine for the treatment of recurrent/refractory hairy cell leukemiaMonica Else
Section of Haemato oncology, Royal Marsden Hospital Institute of Cancer Research, Sutton, United Kingdom
Cancer 110:2240-7. 2007The purine analogs pentostatin and cladribine have revolutionized the treatment of hairy cell leukemia (HCL) with overall responses in greater than 85% of patients and a median progression-free survival of up to 15 years...
- Hairy Cell LeukemiaRossella Riccioni
Department of Oncology, Transplantation and New Technology in Haematology, University of Pisa, Pisa, Italy
Curr Treat Options Oncol 8:129-34. 2007b>Hairy cell leukemia (HCL) is an indolent B-cell lymphoproliferative disease, characterized by splenomegaly and pancitopenia related to this...
- The disease with hope: hairy cell leukemiaSusan E Becker
Potomac Hospital, Woodbridge, VA, USA
Clin J Oncol Nurs 11:731-5. 2007b>Hairy cell leukemia (HCL), comprising 2% of all leukemias, is a chronic disorder characterized by mononuclear cells with prominent cytoplasmic projections...
- The diagnosis of hairy cell leukemia can be established by flow cytometric analysis of peripheral blood, even in patients with low levels of circulating malignant cellsD B Cornfield
Department of Pathology and Laboratory Medicine, University of Florida College of Medicine, Gainesville, Florida 32610, USA
Am J Hematol 67:223-6. 2001The diagnosis of hairy cell leukemia (HCL) has traditionally been based on microscopic means...
- [Successful use of cladribine in the treatment of an elderly woman with typical hairy cell leukemia]Yasushi Terasaki
Division of Internal Medicine, Toyama City Hospital
Gan To Kagaku Ryoho 34:1885-8. 2007..She was diagnosed as having typical hairy cell leukemia (HCL). The patient was treated with cladribine infused continuously for 7 days at a dose of 0...
- Combined treatment with splenectomy and cladribine in hairy cell leukemia in Taiwan: a clinicopathologic study of 5 casesYuan Bin Yu
Division of Hematology and Oncology, Department of Medicine, Taipei Veterans General Hospital, Taipei, Taiwan, R O C
J Chin Med Assoc 70:551-5. 2007b>Hairy cell leukemia (HCL) is a rare B-cell lymphoid malignancy that is characterized by the presence of hairy cells in the peripheral blood and bone marrow, pancytopenia and various degrees of splenomegaly...
- Hairy cell leukemia: current conceptsTimothy Cannon
Division of Hematology Oncology, George Washington University Medical Center, Washington, DC, USA
Cancer Invest 26:860-5. 2008b>Hairy cell Leukemia (HCL) is a chronic lymphoproliferative disorder that was characterized in the late 1950s. HCL is defined, according to the WHO classification, as a mature (peripheral) B-cell neoplasm (1)...
- Treatment of hairy cell leukemia with cladribine (2-chlorodeoxyadenosine) by subcutaneous bolus injection: a phase II studyA von Rohr
Institute of Medical Oncology, Inselspital, Bern
Ann Oncol 13:1641-9. 2002To assess the activity and toxicity of 2-chlorodeoxyadenosine (cladribine, CDA) given by subcutaneous bolus injections to patients with hairy cell leukemia (HCL).
- [Pulmonary localization of hairy cell leukemia]S Roth
Rev Med Interne 23:870-2. 2002
- BRAIN TUMORS - IMMUNOLOGICAL AND BIOLOGICAL STUDIESDarell D Bigner; Fiscal Year: 2012..by the FDA for treatment of systemic cancers such as breast carcinoma, non-Hodgkin's lymphoma and hairy cell leukemia. Our hypothesis is that poor drug delivery and widespread migration of GBM cells will be overcome by using ..
- A Patient-Centered Approach to Enrolling Rare Cancer Patients in Clinical TrialsMATTHEW BERNARD WIENER; Fiscal Year: 2010..Daniel Von Hoff, describes two classes of rare cancers. There are the truly rare diseases (e.g., hairy cell leukemia), but also common histological cancer types like breast cancer, with rare molecular subtypes such as triple ..
- SERUM OSTEOCLASTIC ACID PHOSPHATASE IMMUNOASSAYKIN HING LAU; Fiscal Year: 1993..The investigators have recently partially purified a hairy cell leukemia splenic TrACP which is thought to be similar to osteoclastic acid phosphatase...
- BIOSYNTHESIS OF ARA-A, 2'-DEOXYCOFORMYCIN AND ANALOGUESDavid Baker; Fiscal Year: 1992..3) Elucidate the biosynthesis of a group of related compounds which includes adecypenol, a cyclopentenyl analogue of 2'-dCF; azepinomycin, a 1,4-diazepine; and nucleocidin, a fluorosugar-containing nucleoside...
- ROLE OF A-INTERFERON RECEPTOR IN HUMAN IMMUNOREGULATIONSharon Evans; Fiscal Year: 1992..has been demonstrated to be effective in the treatment of several lymphoid derived malignancies including hairy cell leukemia, acute lymphoblastic leukemia and multiple myeloma...
- PREVALENCE AND PATHOLOGIC BURDEN OF HTLV-II INFECTIONBrian Hjelle; Fiscal Year: 1992..Despite this HTLA-II endemia, no evidence for increased rates of hairy cell leukemia, mycosis fungoides or chronic lymphocytic leukemia have emerged by study of patients from the New Mexico ..
- Therapeutic management of SIRS with pentostatinWILLIAM LAW; Fiscal Year: 2002..PROPOSED COMMERCIAL APPLICATION: Pentostatin is currently in use to treat hairy cell leukemia. If successful, the proposed research will extent the application of pentostatin to treat systemic ..
- ADENOSINE ANALOGS AS CANCER CHEMOTHERAPEUTIC AGENTSRobert Parks; Fiscal Year: 1992..The proper- ties and surface expression of the nucleoside carrier protein of human HL- 60 promyelocytic leukemia cells will be examined with the use of recently developed specific monoclonal antibodies...
- INTERFERON ACTION ON CELL STRUCTURE AND PROLIFERATIONLAWRENCE PFEFFER; Fiscal Year: 1993Interferons (IFNs) are cytokines that have documented efficacy in the treatment of hairy cell leukemia, and show promising results in the treatment of renal cell carcinoma, chronic myelocytic leukemia, hepatitis and acquired immune ..
- INTERFERONS AND CELL GROWTH REGULATIONDivaker Choubey; Fiscal Year: 2000..Although IFNs are used in the treatment of various human cancers, including hairy cell leukemia, chronic myelogenous leukemia, and Kaposi's sarcoma, the mechanisms by which they act as antiproliferative ..
- STRUCTURE INVESTIGATIONS ON INTERFERON TAUNEPALLI KRISHNA; Fiscal Year: 2003..is of considerable interest because of its clinical potential in treating cancers such as renal carcinoma, hairy cell leukemia, colon tumors, and kidney tumors, and viral infections such as HIV and hepatitis B and C...
- Farnesyltransferase Inhibitor Therapy for MyelodysplasiaRazelle Kurzrock; Fiscal Year: 2002....
- ENDOCANNABINOID BIOMARKERS OF OBESITY USING INTEGRATED GENOMICS AND METABOLOMICSJACK SIPE; Fiscal Year: 2008..unreadable] [unreadable] [unreadable]..
- Doxorubicin-Immunoconjugate Therapy of Non-Hodgkin's LymphomaRhona Stein; Fiscal Year: 2008..abstract_text> ..
- OPTIMIZED SYNTHETIC TLR LIGANDS FOR BIODEFENSEDennis Carson; Fiscal Year: 2007..When complete, these experiments will deliver a rationally conceived and thoroughly evaluated product for clinical testing. ..
- FAAH GENE MUTATIONS: RISK FACTORS IN DRUG USE/ADDICTIONJACK SIPE; Fiscal Year: 2006..abstract_text> ..
- Exploratory Trial of Curcumin in Pancreatic CancerRazelle Kurzrock; Fiscal Year: 2005..These studies should provide the foundation for the development of curcumin as an anticancer agent and may lead to a novel approach to the management of pancreatic cancer. ..
- Quantitative RT-PCR: Prediction Lymphoma TransformationKojo Elenitoba Johnson; Fiscal Year: 2005....
- PRE-CLINICAL COMBINATION CHEMO- AND RADIOANTIBODY THERAPRhona Stein; Fiscal Year: 2005..2) Therapy-induced changes in marker expression post therapy can be identified clinically in small samples of circulating tumor cells. ..
- REGULATION OF SENESCENCE AND APOPTOSIS IN LYMPHOCYTESDennis Carson; Fiscal Year: 2004....
- MOLECULAR STUDIES OF DRUG RESISTANCE IN CHRONIC LYMPHOCYMichael Grever; Fiscal Year: 2003..A substantial increment in our understanding of drug sensitivity and resistance will potentially result from this genomic research. ..
- MUCOSAL IMMUNOSTIMULANTS FOR BIODEFENSEDennis Carson; Fiscal Year: 2005..abstract_text> ..