Genomes and Genes
head and neck neoplasms
Summary: Soft tissue tumors or cancer arising from the mucosal surfaces of the LIP; oral cavity; PHARYNX; LARYNX; and cervical esophagus. Other sites included are the NOSE and PARANASAL SINUSES; SALIVARY GLANDS; THYROID GLAND and PARATHYROID GLANDS; and MELANOMA and non-melanoma skin cancers of the head and neck. (from Holland et al., Cancer Medicine, 4th ed, p1651)
Articles from Journal RESEARCH
Articles from Journal RESEARCH2
Publications344 found, 100 shown here
- The molecular biology of head and neck cancerC Rene Leemans
Department of Otolaryngology Head and Neck Surgery, VU University Medical Center, Amsterdam, The Netherlands
Nat Rev Cancer 11:9-22. 2011....
- Identification of a subpopulation of cells with cancer stem cell properties in head and neck squamous cell carcinomaM E Prince
Department of Otolaryngology Head and Neck Surgery, University of Michigan, Ann Arbor, MI 48109, USA
Proc Natl Acad Sci U S A 104:973-8. 2007....
- Radiotherapy plus cetuximab for squamous-cell carcinoma of the head and neckJames A Bonner
Department of Medicine, University of Alabama, Birmingham, USA
N Engl J Med 354:567-78. 2006....
- Improved survival of patients with human papillomavirus-positive head and neck squamous cell carcinoma in a prospective clinical trialCarole Fakhry
Johns Hopkins Medical Institutions, Baltimore, MD 21231, USA
J Natl Cancer Inst 100:261-9. 2008....
- Meta-analysis of chemotherapy in head and neck cancer (MACH-NC): an update on 93 randomised trials and 17,346 patientsJean Pierre Pignon
Department of Biostatistics and Epidemiology, Institut Gustave Roussy, Villejuif, France
Radiother Oncol 92:4-14. 2009..However the heterogeneity of the results limited the conclusions and prompted us to confirm the results on a more complete database by adding the randomised trials conducted between 1994 and 2000...
- Platinum-based chemotherapy plus cetuximab in head and neck cancerJan B Vermorken
Antwerp University Hospital, Department of Medical Oncology, Edegem, Belgium
N Engl J Med 359:1116-27. 2008..We investigated the efficacy of cetuximab plus platinum-based chemotherapy as first-line treatment in patients with recurrent or metastatic squamous-cell carcinoma of the head and neck...
- Human papillomavirus types in head and neck squamous cell carcinomas worldwide: a systematic reviewAimee R Kreimer
International Agency for Research on Cancer, Lyon, France
Cancer Epidemiol Biomarkers Prev 14:467-75. 2005..Small sample size and publication bias complicate the assessment of the prevalence of HPV in head and neck sites beyond the oropharynx...
- Head and neck cancerAthanassios Argiris
Division of Hematology Oncology, Department of Medicine, University of Pittsburgh, Pittsburgh, PA 15232, USA
Lancet 371:1695-709. 2008..We review the epidemiology, molecular pathogenesis, diagnosis and staging, and the latest multimodal management of squamous cell carcinoma of the head and neck...
- Single-marker identification of head and neck squamous cell carcinoma cancer stem cells with aldehyde dehydrogenaseMatthew R Clay
Department of Molecular and Cell Biology, University of Wisconsin, Madison, Wisconsin, USA
Head Neck 32:1195-201. 2010..We previously reported that CD44 isolates tumorigenic cells from head and neck squamous cell cancer (HNSCC). Recent studies indicate that aldehyde dehydrogenase (ALDH) activity may represent a more specific marker of CSCs...
- Comprehensive MicroRNA profiling for head and neck squamous cell carcinomasAngela B Y Hui
Division of Applied Molecular Oncology, Ontario Cancer Institute, University of Toronto, Toronto, Ontario, Canada
Clin Cancer Res 16:1129-39. 2010..The objective of this study is to investigate the significance of microRNAs (miRNA) in patients with locally advanced head and neck squamous cell carcinoma (HNSCC)...
- Parotid-sparing intensity modulated versus conventional radiotherapy in head and neck cancer (PARSPORT): a phase 3 multicentre randomised controlled trialChristopher M Nutting
Head and Neck Unit, Royal Marsden Hospitals NHS Foundation Trust, London, UK
Lancet Oncol 12:127-36. 2011..Compared with conventional radiotherapy, intensity-modulated radiotherapy (IMRT) can reduce irradiation of the parotid glands. We assessed the hypothesis that parotid-sparing IMRT reduces the incidence of severe xerostomia...
- Postoperative irradiation with or without concomitant chemotherapy for locally advanced head and neck cancerJacques Bernier
Department of Radio Oncology, Oncology Institute of Southern Switzerland, Bellinzona, Switzerland
N Engl J Med 350:1945-52. 2004..We compared concomitant cisplatin and irradiation with radiotherapy alone as adjuvant treatment for stage III or IV head and neck cancer...
- Distinct risk factor profiles for human papillomavirus type 16-positive and human papillomavirus type 16-negative head and neck cancersMaura L Gillison
Division of Viral Oncology, The Johns Hopkins Kimmel Comprehensive Cancer Center, Baltimore, MD 21231, USA
J Natl Cancer Inst 100:407-20. 2008..We examined whether the risk factors for HPV-16-positive HNSCCs are similar to those for HPV-16-negative HNSCCs in a hospital-based case-control study...
- Postoperative concurrent radiotherapy and chemotherapy for high-risk squamous-cell carcinoma of the head and neckJay S Cooper
New York University Medical Center, New York, USA
N Engl J Med 350:1937-44. 2004..We tested the hypothesis that concurrent postoperative administration of cisplatin and radiotherapy would improve the rate of local and regional control...
- Prognostic value of tumor oxygenation in 397 head and neck tumors after primary radiation therapy. An international multi-center studyMarianne Nordsmark
Department of Experimental Clinical Oncology, Aarhus University Hospital, DK, Denmark
Radiother Oncol 77:18-24. 2005..To analyze the relationship between pre-treatment measurements of tumor oxygen tension (pO2) and survival in advanced head and neck cancer...
- Recent advances in head and neck cancerRobert I Haddad
Department of Medical Oncology, Dana Farber Cancer Institute, Boston, MA 02115, USA
N Engl J Med 359:1143-54. 2008
- Oral sequelae of head and neck radiotherapyA Vissink
Department of Oral and Maxillofacial Surgery, University Hospital, PO Box 30 001, 9700 RB Groningen, The Netherlands
Crit Rev Oral Biol Med 14:199-212. 2003..In this review, the radiation-induced changes in healthy oral tissues and the resulting clinical consequences are discussed...
- Genotyping of 73 UM-SCC head and neck squamous cell carcinoma cell linesJ Chad Brenner
Department of Otolaryngology Head and Neck Surgery, University of Michigan, Ann Arbor, Michigan, USA
Head Neck 32:417-26. 2010..Recent scientific discussions have noted the need to confirm the origin and identity of cell lines in grant proposals and journal articles. We genotyped the UM-SCC cell lines in our collection to confirm their unique identity...
- Open-label, uncontrolled, multicenter phase II study to evaluate the efficacy and toxicity of cetuximab as a single agent in patients with recurrent and/or metastatic squamous cell carcinoma of the head and neck who failed to respond to platinum-based theJan B Vermorken
Department of Medical Oncology, University Hospital Antwerpen, Edegem, Belgium
J Clin Oncol 25:2171-7. 2007....
- A genome-wide association study of upper aerodigestive tract cancers conducted within the INHANCE consortiumJames D McKay
International Agency for Research on Cancer IARC, Lyon, France
PLoS Genet 7:e1001333. 2011..02). These results implicate two variants at 4q21 and 12q24 and further highlight three ADH variants in UADT cancer susceptibility...
- TP53 mutations and survival in squamous-cell carcinoma of the head and neckM Luana Poeta
Johns Hopkins University, Baltimore, MD 21287, USA
N Engl J Med 357:2552-61. 2007..We evaluated TP53 mutations and survival in patients with squamous-cell carcinoma of the head and neck...
- Interaction between tobacco and alcohol use and the risk of head and neck cancer: pooled analysis in the International Head and Neck Cancer Epidemiology ConsortiumMia Hashibe
IARC, Lifestyle, Environment and Cancer Group, Genetics and Epidemiology Cluster, Lyon, France
Cancer Epidemiol Biomarkers Prev 18:541-50. 2009..The magnitude of risk conferred by the interaction between tobacco and alcohol use on the risk of head and neck cancers is not clear because studies have used various methods to quantify the excess head and neck cancer burden...
- MicroRNA expression ratio is predictive of head and neck squamous cell carcinomaMichele Avissar
Department of Pathology and Laboratory Medicine, Brown University, Providence, Rhode Island 02912, USA
Clin Cancer Res 15:2850-5. 2009..We sought to identify microRNAs altered in head and neck squamous cell carcinoma (HNSCC) and to determine whether microRNA expression is predictive of disease...
- Meta-analysis of the impact of human papillomavirus (HPV) on cancer risk and overall survival in head and neck squamous cell carcinomas (HNSCC)Farshid Dayyani
Department of Thoracic Head and Neck Medical Oncology, University of Texas MD Anderson Cancer Center, Houston, TX 77030, USA
Head Neck Oncol 2:15. 2010..HPV is important in a subset of HNSCC. Our meta-analysis determined the clinical characteristics of HPV-related HNSCC...
- Induction chemotherapy with cisplatin and fluorouracil alone or in combination with docetaxel in locally advanced squamous-cell cancer of the head and neck: long-term results of the TAX 324 randomised phase 3 trialJochen H Lorch
Dana Farber Cancer Institute, Boston, MA 02115, USA
Lancet Oncol 12:153-9. 2011..We report the long-term results at 5 years' minimum follow-up...
- Impact of epidermal growth factor receptor expression on survival and pattern of relapse in patients with advanced head and neck carcinomaK Kian Ang
Department of Radiation Oncology, The University of Texas M D Anderson Cancer Center, Houston, Texas 77030, USA
Cancer Res 62:7350-6. 2002..The data suggest that EGFR IHC should be considered for selecting patients for more aggressive combined therapies or enrollment into trials targeting EGFR signaling pathways...
- p63 mediates survival in squamous cell carcinoma by suppression of p73-dependent apoptosisJames W Rocco
Massachusetts General Hospital Center for Cancer Research and Harvard Medical School, Boston, Massachusetts 02114, USA
Cancer Cell 9:45-56. 2006..Together, these data define a pathway whereby deltaNp63alpha promotes survival in squamous epithelial malignancy by repressing a p73-dependent proapoptotic transcriptional program...
- A genetic explanation of Slaughter's concept of field cancerization: evidence and clinical implicationsBoudewijn J M Braakhuis
Department of Otolaryngology Head and Neck Surgery, Section Tumor Biology, Vrije Universiteit Medical Center, P O Box 7057, 1007 MB Amsterdam, The Netherlands
Cancer Res 63:1727-30. 2003..Diagnosis and treatment of epithelial cancers should not only be focused on the tumor but also on the field from which it developed...
- Involvement of intact HPV16 E6/E7 gene expression in head and neck cancers with unaltered p53 status and perturbed pRb cell cycle controlTina Wiest
Molekularbiologisches Labor, Universitäts Hals Nasen Ohrenklinik, Im Neuenheimer Feld 400, 69120 Heidelberg, Germany
Oncogene 21:1510-7. 2002..A causal role of HPV16 in head and neck cancer is defined by: E6/E7 expression, viral integration with an intact E6 gene, and perturbation of pRb cell cycle control. Mostly, the p53 gene is wild-type...
- A novel algorithm for reliable detection of human papillomavirus in paraffin embedded head and neck cancer specimenSerge J Smeets
Department of Otolaryngology Head Neck Surgery, VU University Medical Center, Amsterdam, The Netherlands
Int J Cancer 121:2465-72. 2007....
- Recent changes in the epidemiology of head and neck cancerMaria Paula Curado
International Agency for Research on Cancer, Biostatistics and Epidemiology Cluster, Descriptive Epidemiology Production Group, Lyon, France
Curr Opin Oncol 21:194-200. 2009..To review the most recent epidemiological studies on head and neck cancer and changes in knowledge about risk factors. The main review concerned the squamous cell carcinoma of the oral cavity, oropharynx, larynx and hypopharynx...
- Erlotinib and bevacizumab in patients with recurrent or metastatic squamous-cell carcinoma of the head and neck: a phase I/II studyEzra E W Cohen
Section of Hematology Oncology, Department of Medicine, University of Chicago, Chicago, IL, USA University of Chicago Cancer Research Center, Chicago, IL, USA
Lancet Oncol 10:247-57. 2009..In this multi-institutional phase I/II study we combined an EGFR inhibitor, erlotinib, with an anti-VEGF antibody, bevacizumab...
- Trends in incidence and prognosis for head and neck cancer in the United States: a site-specific analysis of the SEER databaseAndre Lopes Carvalho
Head and Neck and Otorhinolaryngology Department, Centro de Tratamento e Pesquisa, Hospital do Cancer A C Camargo, Sao Paulo, Brazil
Int J Cancer 114:806-16. 2005..3%, p = 0.002, respectively). Site-specific changes in treatment and staging were also noted. Site-specific analysis allows for a more accurate description of incidence, staging, treatment, and prognostic trends for head and neck cancer...
- Aldehyde dehydrogenase 1 is a putative marker for cancer stem cells in head and neck squamous cancerYu Chih Chen
Institute of Clinical Medicine, School of Medicine, National Yang Ming University, Taiwan
Biochem Biophys Res Commun 385:307-13. 2009..In summary, it is likely that ALDH1 is a specific marker for the cancer stem-like cells of HNSCC...
- Human papillomavirus in head and neck cancer: its role in pathogenesis and clinical implicationsChristine H Chung
Division of Hematology Oncology, Department of Medicine, Vanderbilt University School of Medicine, Nashville, TN 37232 6307 USA
Clin Cancer Res 15:6758-62. 2009..Further understanding of carcinogenesis and clinical behavior of HPV-positive cancers will improve disease prevention, patient care, and surveillance strategies for HNSCC patients...
- Rotational IMRT techniques compared to fixed gantry IMRT and tomotherapy: multi-institutional planning study for head-and-neck casesTilo Wiezorek
Department of Radiation Oncology, University of Jena, Jena, Germany
Radiat Oncol 6:20. 2011..This upcoming treatment technique was benchmarked in a multi-center treatment planning study against static gantry IMRT and rotational IMRT based on a ring gantry for a complex parotid gland sparing head-and-neck technique...
- Characteristics and survival of head and neck cancer by HPV status: a cancer registry-based studySeema Sethi
Department of Pathology, Wayne State University School of Medicine, Detroit, MI 48201, USA
Int J Cancer 131:1179-86. 2012..To define the fraction of HNSCC preventable by HPV vaccination or amenable to less aggressive treatment, however, tobacco exposure and HPV markers other than DNA presence need to be taken into account...
- Loss of TGF-β signaling and PTEN promotes head and neck squamous cell carcinoma through cellular senescence evasion and cancer-related inflammationY Bian
Functional Genomics Section, Laboratory of Cell and Developmental Biology, Bethesda, MD, USA
Oncogene 31:3322-32. 2012....
- Delineating metabolic signatures of head and neck squamous cell carcinoma: phospholipase A2, a potential therapeutic targetPratima Tripathi
Biophysics and Department of Chemistry, University of Michigan, Ann Arbor, MI, United States
Int J Biochem Cell Biol 44:1852-61. 2012..Moreover, cPLA(2) may serve as a potential therapeutic target for anti-cancer therapy of HNSCC...
- Critical impact of radiotherapy protocol compliance and quality in the treatment of advanced head and neck cancer: results from TROG 02.02Lester J Peters
Department of Radiation Oncology, Peter MacCallum Cancer Centre, Melbourne, Australia
J Clin Oncol 28:2996-3001. 2010..To report the impact of radiotherapy quality on outcome in a large international phase III trial evaluating radiotherapy with concurrent cisplatin plus tirapazamine for advanced head and neck cancer...
- Dual-agent molecular targeting of the epidermal growth factor receptor (EGFR): combining anti-EGFR antibody with tyrosine kinase inhibitorShyhmin Huang
Department of Human Oncology, University of Wisconsin School of Medicine and Comprehensive Cancer Center, 600 Highland Avenue, Madison, WI 53792 0600, USA
Cancer Res 64:5355-62. 2004..This approach suggests potential new strategies to maximize effective target inhibition, which may improve the therapeutic ratio for anti-EGFR-targeted therapies in developing clinical trials...
- Fundamental differences in cell cycle deregulation in human papillomavirus-positive and human papillomavirus-negative head/neck and cervical cancersDohun Pyeon
McArdle Laboratory for Cancer Research, University of Wisconsin Madison, Madison, WI 53706, USA
Cancer Res 67:4605-19. 2007....
- Quantification of volumetric and geometric changes occurring during fractionated radiotherapy for head-and-neck cancer using an integrated CT/linear accelerator systemJerry L Barker
Department of Radiation Oncology, University of Texas M D Anderson Cancer Center, 1515 Holcombe Boulevard, Houston, TX 77030, USA
Int J Radiat Oncol Biol Phys 59:960-70. 2004..We conducted a pilot study to quantify the magnitude of these anatomic changes with systematic CT imaging...
- Cisplatin and fluorouracil alone or with docetaxel in head and neck cancerMarshall R Posner
Dana Farber Cancer Institute, Boston, MA 02115, USA
N Engl J Med 357:1705-15. 2007....
- Epithelial to mesenchymal transition in head and neck squamous carcinoma: association of Src activation with E-cadherin down-regulation, vimentin expression, and aggressive tumor featuresMahitosh Mandal
Department of Pathology, The University of Texas MD Anderson Cancer Center, Houston, TX 77030, USA
Cancer 112:2088-100. 2008..In the current study, the expressions of several factors associated with the induction of EMT in HNSC cell lines and tumor specimens were investigated to define their functional and pathologic role in HNSC...
- Radiotherapy plus cetuximab for locoregionally advanced head and neck cancer: 5-year survival data from a phase 3 randomised trial, and relation between cetuximab-induced rash and survivalJames A Bonner
University of Alabama, Birmingham, AL, USA
Lancet Oncol 11:21-8. 2010..Here we report the 5-year survival data, and investigate the relation between cetuximab-induced rash and survival...
- Mutant epidermal growth factor receptor (EGFRvIII) contributes to head and neck cancer growth and resistance to EGFR targetingJohn C Sok
Department of Otolaryngology, and University of Pittsburgh Cancer Institute Biostatistics, University of Pittsburgh, Pennsylvania 15213, USA
Clin Cancer Res 12:5064-73. 2006..The present study was undertaken to determine the incidence of EGFRvIII expression in HNSCC and the biological consequences of EGFRvIII on tumor growth in response to EGFR targeting...
- Survival of squamous cell carcinoma of the head and neck in relation to human papillomavirus infection: review and meta-analysisCamille C R Ragin
Department of Epidemiology, University of Pittsburgh Graduate School of Public Health, Pittsburgh, PA 15261, USA
Int J Cancer 121:1813-20. 2007..The observed improved OS and DFS for HPV-positive HNSCC patients is specific to the oropharynx; these tumours may have a distinct etiology from those tumours in non-oropharyngeal sites...
- Activation of the PI3-K/AKT pathway and implications for radioresistance mechanisms in head and neck cancerJohan Bussink
Department of Radiation Oncology, Radboud University Nijmegen Medical Centre, Netherlands
Lancet Oncol 9:288-96. 2008..Thus, the activation status of this pathway might be a key element for the prediction of treatment response and for therapeutic targeting in head and neck cancer...
- Levels of TGF-alpha and EGFR protein in head and neck squamous cell carcinoma and patient survivalJ Rubin Grandis
Department of Otolaryngology, University of Pittsburgh School of Medicine, and University of Pittsburgh Cancer Institute, PA, USA
J Natl Cancer Inst 90:824-32. 1998....
- Head and neck squamous cell carcinoma cell lines: established models and rationale for selectionCharles J Lin
Department of Otolaryngology, School of Medicine, University of Pittsburgh, Pittsburgh, Pennsylvania, USA
Head Neck 29:163-88. 2007..An easily accessible guide that organizes important characteristics of HNSCC cell lines would be valuable for the selection of appropriate HNSCC cell lines for in vitro or in vivo studies...
- Dysregulated molecular networks in head and neck carcinogenesisAlfredo A Molinolo
Oral and Pharyngeal Cancer Branch, National Institute of Craniofacial and Dental Research, National Institutes of Health, Building 30, Room 211, 30 Convent Drive, Bethesda, MD 20892 4330, USA
Oral Oncol 45:324-34. 2009....
- Stem cell marker (Nanog) and Stat-3 signaling promote MicroRNA-21 expression and chemoresistance in hyaluronan/CD44-activated head and neck squamous cell carcinoma cellsL Y W Bourguignon
San Francisco Veterans Affairs Medical Center and Department of Medicine, University of California at San Francisco and Endocrine Unit 111N2, San Francisco, CA 94121, USA
Oncogene 31:149-60. 2012..This novel Nanog/Stat-3 signaling pathway-specific mechanism involved in miR-21 production is significant for the formation of future intervention strategies in the treatment of HA/CD44-activated HNSCC...
- Trends in head and neck cancer incidence in relation to smoking prevalence: an emerging epidemic of human papillomavirus-associated cancers?Erich M Sturgis
Department of Head and Neck Surgery, The University of Texas M D Anderson Cancer Center, Houston, Texas 77030, USA
Cancer 110:1429-35. 2007..To hasten the reduction of HPV-16 prevalence in the population, widespread vaccination of adolescent and young adult males should also be considered...
- Phase II trial of the histone deacetylase inhibitor vorinostat (Zolinza, suberoylanilide hydroxamic acid, SAHA) in patients with recurrent and/or metastatic head and neck cancerGeorge R Blumenschein
Department of Thoracic and Head and Neck Medical Oncology, The University of Texas M D Anderson Cancer Center, 1515 Holcombe Boulevard, Houston, TX 77030, USA
Invest New Drugs 26:81-7. 2008..Oral vorinostat 400 mg qd was generally well tolerated but did not demonstrate efficacy as defined by tumor response in this small group of heavily pre-treated patients...
- An intergroup phase III comparison of standard radiation therapy and two schedules of concurrent chemoradiotherapy in patients with unresectable squamous cell head and neck cancerDavid J Adelstein
Cleveland Clinic Foundation, Department of Hematology and Medical Oncology, Ohio 44195, USA
J Clin Oncol 21:92-8. 2003..The Head and Neck Intergroup conducted a phase III randomized trial to test the benefit of adding chemotherapy to radiation in patients with unresectable squamous cell head and neck cancer...
- Profiling early head and neck cancerKeith D Hunter
The Beatson Institute for Cancer Research, Garscube Estate, Switchback Road, Bearsden, Glasgow G61 1BD, Scotland
Nat Rev Cancer 5:127-35. 2005..Recent advances have begun to elucidate the different aetiologies of HNSCCs in relation to previous pre-malignancies and to identify which pre-malignant lesions are likely to progress to malignancy...
- The hazard of accelerated tumor clonogen repopulation during radiotherapyH R Withers
Department of Radiation Oncology, Jonsson Comprehensive Cancer Center, UCLA
Acta Oncol 27:131-46. 1988....
- Epidermal growth factor receptor biology in head and neck cancerShailaja Kalyankrishna
Department of Otolaryngology, University of Pittsburgh Cancer Institute, University of Pittsburgh School of Medicine, Pittsburgh, PA, USA
J Clin Oncol 24:2666-72. 2006..Resistance to EGFR inhibition may be circumvented by combination therapy employing EGFR inhibitors together with other treatment modalities...
- Alcohol drinking in never users of tobacco, cigarette smoking in never drinkers, and the risk of head and neck cancer: pooled analysis in the International Head and Neck Cancer Epidemiology ConsortiumMia Hashibe
Gene Environment Epidemiology Group, International Agency for Research on Cancer, 150 cours Albert Thomas, 69008 Lyon, France
J Natl Cancer Inst 99:777-89. 2007....
- Impact of late treatment-related toxicity on quality of life among patients with head and neck cancer treated with radiotherapyJohannes A Langendijk
Department of Radiation Oncology, VU University Medical Center, Groningen, The Netherlands
J Clin Oncol 26:3770-6. 2008....
- Tumor suppressive microRNA-133a regulates novel targets: moesin contributes to cancer cell proliferation and invasion in head and neck squamous cell carcinomaTakashi Kinoshita
Department of Functional Genomics, Chiba University Graduate School of Medicine, 1 8 1 Inohana Chuo ku, Chiba 260 8670, Japan
Biochem Biophys Res Commun 418:378-83. 2012..Our analysis data of novel tumor-suppressive miR-133a-mediated cancer pathways could provide new insights into the potential mechanisms of HNSCC oncogenesis...
- Mucositis incidence, severity and associated outcomes in patients with head and neck cancer receiving radiotherapy with or without chemotherapy: a systematic literature reviewAndy Trotti
Radiation Oncology Program, H Lee Moffitt Cancer Center and Research Institute, University of South Florida, 12902 Magnolia Drive, Tampa, FL 33612, USA
Radiother Oncol 66:253-62. 2003..To determine the frequency of mucositis and associated outcomes in patients receiving radiotherapy (RT) for head and neck cancer through a systematic review of recently published literature...
- Prediction of outcome in head-and-neck cancer patients using the standardized uptake value of 2-[18F]fluoro-2-deoxy-D-glucoseAbdelkarim S Allal
Division of Radiation Oncology, Geneva University Hospital, 24 Rue Micheli du Crest, 1211 Geneva 14, Switzerland
Int J Radiat Oncol Biol Phys 59:1295-300. 2004..Pretreatment FDG uptake was evaluated as a predictor of local control (LC) and disease-free survival (DFS) in patients with head-and-neck cancer managed primarily either by radiotherapy (RT) or surgery...
- Head and neck cancer: changing epidemiology, diagnosis, and treatmentShanthi Marur
Bunting Blaustein CRB1 G92, 1650 Orleans St, Baltimore, MD 21231 1000, USA smarur1 jhmi edu
Mayo Clin Proc 83:489-501. 2008....
- Triggering of Toll-like receptor 4 expressed on human head and neck squamous cell carcinoma promotes tumor development and protects the tumor from immune attackMiroslaw J Szczepanski
University of Pittsburgh Cancer Institute, Pittsburgh, Pennsylvania 15213 1863, USA
Cancer Res 69:3105-13. 2009..TLR4 triggering protected tumor cells from lysis mediated by NK-92 cells. TLR4 ligation on tumor cells supports HNSCC progression...
- Association between single-nucleotide polymorphisms of selected genes involved in the response to DNA damage and risk of colon, head and neck, and breast cancers in a Polish populationK Jelonek
Department of Experimental and Clinical Radiobiology, Maria Sklodowska Curie Memorial Cancer Center and Institute of Oncology, Gliwice Branch, Poland
J Appl Genet 51:343-52. 2010..The data clearly indicate that the risk of colon cancer is associated with single-nucleotide polymorphism in genes involved in base-excision repair and DNA-damage-induced responses...
- Evidence for epithelial-mesenchymal transition in cancer stem cells of head and neck squamous cell carcinomaChao Chen
Department of Otolaryngology, Head and Neck Surgery, Charite Universitatsmedizin Berlin, Berlin, Germany
PLoS ONE 6:e16466. 2011..CSC can be enriched by anchorage-independent culture techniques, which may be important for the investigation of their contribution to therapy resistance, tumor recurrence and metastasis...
- DNA repair gene ERCC2 polymorphisms and risk of squamous cell carcinoma of the head and neckMarkus Gugatschka
ENT University Hospital Graz, Medical University Graz, Austria
Exp Mol Pathol 91:331-4. 2011..Aim of the following study was to analyze the genetic association of single nucleotide polymorphisms (SNP) of the DNA repair genes with the risk of squamous cell carcinoma of the head and neck (HNSCC)...
- ΔNp63 versatilely regulates a Broad NF-κB gene program and promotes squamous epithelial proliferation, migration, and inflammationXinping Yang
Tumor Biology Section, Head and Neck Surgery Branch, National Institute on Deafness and Other Communication Disorders, NIH, Bethesda, Maryland 20892, USA
Cancer Res 71:3688-700. 2011..Our study reveals ΔNp63 as a master transcription factor that, in coordination with NF-κB/Rels, orchestrates a broad gene program promoting epidermal hyperplasia, inflammation, and the malignant phenotype of HNSCC...
- XPF expression correlates with clinical outcome in squamous cell carcinoma of the head and neckAlec Vaezi
Departments of Otolaryngology and Head and Neck Surgery, University of Pittsburgh School of Medicine and University of Pittsburgh Cancer Institute, PA 15213, USA
Clin Cancer Res 17:5513-22. 2011..The purpose of this study was to determine whether XPF expression levels predict clinical response to DNA damaging agents in head and neck squamous cell carcinoma (HNSCC)...
- FDG PET/CT and diffusion-weighted imaging of head and neck squamous cell carcinoma: comparison of prognostic significance between primary tumor standardized uptake value and apparent diffusion coefficientMasatoyo Nakajo
Department of Radiology, Field of Oncology, Graduate School of Medical and Dental Sciences, Kagoshima University, Kagoshima, Japan
Clin Nucl Med 37:475-80. 2012....
- Phase III study of gefitinib compared with intravenous methotrexate for recurrent squamous cell carcinoma of the head and neck [corrected]J Simon W Stewart
Charing Cross Hospital, London, UK
J Clin Oncol 27:1864-71. 2009..To compare survival in patients with recurrent or metastatic squamous cell carcinoma of the head and neck (SCCHN) treated with gefitinib 250 or 500 mg/day or standard methotrexate...
- Cisplatin-based chemoradiation plus cetuximab in locally advanced head and neck cancer: a phase II clinical studyM Merlano
Department of Medical Oncology, S Croce General Hospital, Via M Coppino 26, 12100 Cuneo, Italy
Ann Oncol 22:712-7. 2011..Therefore, cetuximab could intensify chemoradiation without worsening toxicity. We conducted a phase II study of chemoradiation and cetuximab...
- Endothelial cell-initiated signaling promotes the survival and self-renewal of cancer stem cellsSudha Krishnamurthy
Angiogenesis Research Laboratory, University of Michigan, Ann Arbor, Michigan, USA
Cancer Res 70:9969-78. 2010..Collectively, these findings indicate that endothelial cell-initiated signaling can enhance the survival and self-renewal of head and neck CSC...
- Role of hyaluronan-mediated CD44 signaling in head and neck squamous cell carcinoma progression and chemoresistanceSteven J Wang
Department of Otolaryngology Head and Neck Surgery, University of California at San Francisco, San Francisco, California 94115, USA
Am J Pathol 178:956-63. 2011..Finally, EGFR-mediated pathways play major roles in the HA/CD44 promotion of chemoresistance in HNSCC. Understanding HA/CD44-mediated signaling pathways may lead to improved treatment of HNSCC...
- Prognostic significance of epidermal growth factor receptor phosphorylation and mutation in head and neck squamous cell carcinomaTakanori Hama
Division of Molecular Epidemiology, Jikei University School of Medicine, Minato ku, Tokyo, Japan
Oncologist 14:900-8. 2009..In conclusion, phosphorylated EGFR without mutations may be a marker of poor prognosis in patients with HNSCC...
- NSP 5a3a: a potential novel cancer target in head and neck carcinomaLuca D'Agostino
Sbarro Institute for Cancer Research and Molecular Medicine and Department of Biology, College of Science and Technology Temple University, 1900 North 12th street room 431, Philadelphia, PA 19122, USA
Oncotarget 1:423-35. 2010..We propose NSP 5a3a as a potential therapeutic target for site directed cancer treatment in perhaps certain head and neck carcinomas by induction of apoptosis...
- Expression profiles and clinical correlations of degradome components in the tumor microenvironment of head and neck squamous cell carcinomaAngela Stokes
Biomedical Research Centre, University of East Anglia
Clin Cancer Res 16:2022-35. 2010..Proteinases have been implicated in several aspects of tumor growth and metastasis in a broad range of tumors including HNSCC...
- Genetic differences detected by comparative genomic hybridization in head and neck squamous cell carcinomas from different tumor sites: construction of oncogenetic trees for tumor progressionQiang Huang
Department of Otolaryngology, The New York Eye and Ear Infirmary, New York Medical College, New York, New York 10003, USA
Genes Chromosomes Cancer 34:224-33. 2002..These results suggest that different chromosomal aberrations may play a role in the initiation and/or progression of different subgroups of HNSCC...
- Molecular cytogenetic analysis of head and neck squamous cell carcinoma: By comparative genomic hybridization, spectral karyotyping, and expression array analysisJeremy A Squire
Department of Laboratory Medicine and Pathobiology, The University of Toronto and The University Health Network, Toronto, Ontario, Canada
Head Neck 24:874-87. 2002..Such combinatorial studies may help to identify recurrent patterns of altered gene expression in the context of specific chromosomal changes...
- Mutations of the BRAF gene in squamous cell carcinoma of the head and neckAnette Weber
Department of Otorhinolaryngology, Head and Neck Surgery, University of Leipzig, Liebigstrasse 18a, 04103 Leipzig, Germany
Oncogene 22:4757-9. 2003..Our data indicate that BRAF gene mutations are relatively rare events in HNSCC. Although uncommon, BRAF mutations may identify a subset of patients with HNSCC sensitive to targeted therapy...
- Proposal for the delineation of the nodal CTV in the node-positive and the post-operative neckVincent Gregoire
Department of Radiation Oncology, Head and Neck Oncology Program, Universite Catholique de Louvain, Brussels, Belgium
Radiother Oncol 79:15-20. 2006..These recommendations were applicable for the node-negative and the N1-neck, but were found too restrictive for the node-positive and the post-operative neck...
- MicroRNA-138 suppresses invasion and promotes apoptosis in head and neck squamous cell carcinoma cell linesXiqiang Liu
Center for Molecular Biology of Oral Diseases, College of Dentistry, University of Illinois at Chicago, Chicago, IL 60612 7213, United States
Cancer Lett 286:217-22. 2009..Knockdown of miR-138 enhanced cell invasion and suppressed apoptosis. Thus, our results suggested miR-138 acts as a tumor suppresser and may serve as a therapeutic target for HNSCC patients at risk of metastasis...
- Human papillomavirus-associated head and neck cancer is a distinct epidemiologic, clinical, and molecular entityMaura L Gillison
Department of Medical Oncology, The Sidney Kimmel Comprehensive Cancer Center at Johns Hopkins, Johns Hopkins School of Medicine, Bunting Blaustein Cancer Research Building, 1650 Orleans Street, Baltimore, MD 21231, USA
Semin Oncol 31:744-54. 2004..It is time for clinician scientists to translate knowledge of this newly recognized disease entity into potential applications for the prevention, detection, and treatment of HPV-HNSCC...
- Dysphagia following chemoradiation for locally advanced head and neck cancerN P Nguyen
Radiation Oncology, VA North Texas Health Care System, Dallas 75216, USA
Ann Oncol 15:383-8. 2004..To assess the prevalence, severity and morbidity of dysphagia following concurrent chemoradiation for head and neck cancer...
- Phase II multicenter study of the antiepidermal growth factor receptor monoclonal antibody cetuximab in combination with platinum-based chemotherapy in patients with platinum-refractory metastatic and/or recurrent squamous cell carcinoma of the head and nJose Baselga
Vall d Hebron University Hospital, Oncology Service, P Vall d Hebron 119 129, Barcelona 08035, Spain
J Clin Oncol 23:5568-77. 2005....
- MicroRNA alterations in head and neck squamous cell carcinomaSteven S Chang
Department of Otolaryngology, Head and Neck Surgery, Johns Hopkins Medical Institutions, Baltimore, MD 21287 0910, USA
Int J Cancer 123:2791-7. 2008..These differentially expressed microRNAs may be of interest as potential novel oncogenes and tumor suppressor genes in HNSCC. Mir-21 is a putative oncogenic microRNA in head and neck cancer...
- Oral sexual behaviors associated with prevalent oral human papillomavirus infectionGypsyamber D'Souza
Department of Epidemiology, Johns Hopkins Bloomberg School of Public Health, Baltimore, MD, USA
J Infect Dis 199:1263-9. 2009..046, for trend) or open-mouthed kissing partners (P = .023, for trend) but not vaginal sex partners. Oral sex and open-mouthed kissing are associated with the development of oral HPV infection...
- CT-based delineation of lymph node levels and related CTVs in the node-negative neck: DAHANCA, EORTC, GORTEC, NCIC,RTOG consensus guidelinesVincent Gregoire
Radiation Oncology Dept and Laboratory of Radiobiology, Universite Catholique de Louvain, St Luc University Hospital, B 1200 Brussels, Belgium
Radiother Oncol 69:227-36. 2003..and the so-called Rotterdam guidelines from Nowak et al.--emerged from the literature for the delineation of the neck node levels. Detailed examination of these proposals however revealed some important discrepancies...
- Focus on head and neck cancerLi Mao
Department of Thoracic Head and Neck Medical Oncology, The University of Texas M D Anderson Cancer Center, Program in Cancer Biology, The University of Texas Graduate School of Biomedical Sciences at Houston, Houston, TX 77030, USA
Cancer Cell 5:311-6. 2004
- Use of the humanized anti-epidermal growth factor receptor monoclonal antibody h-R3 in combination with radiotherapy in the treatment of locally advanced head and neck cancer patientsTania Crombet
Center of Molecular Immunology, Clinical Immunology Department, PO Box 16040, Havana 11600, Cuba
J Clin Oncol 22:1646-54. 2004..Anti-idiotypic response to h-R3 was assessed. To predict pharmacologic effect, a mathematical model for antibodies recognizing antigens expressed in tumors and normal tissues was built...
- Distinct clinical features of paraganglioma syndromes associated with SDHB and SDHD gene mutationsHartmut P H Neumann
Department of Nephrology and Hypertension, Albert Ludwigs University, Freiburg, Germany
JAMA 292:943-51. 2004..In both syndromes, pheochromocytomas as well as head and neck paragangliomas occur; however, details for individual risks and other clinical characteristics are unknown...
- Mammalian target of rapamycin, a molecular target in squamous cell carcinomas of the head and neckPanomwat Amornphimoltham
Oral and Pharyngeal Cancer Branch, National Institute of Dental and Craniofacial Research, NIH, Bethesda 20892 4330, USA
Cancer Res 65:9953-61. 2005..These findings identify the Akt-mTOR pathway as a potential therapeutic target for HNSCC, and may provide the rationale for the early clinical evaluation of rapamycin and its analogues in patients with HNSCC...
- Severe cutaneous reaction during radiation therapy with concurrent cetuximabWilfried Budach
N Engl J Med 357:514-5. 2007
- Evaluation of promoter hypermethylation detection in body fluids as a screening/diagnosis tool for head and neck squamous cell carcinomaAndre Lopes Carvalho
Department of Otolaryngology Head and Neck Surgery, Johns Hopkins Medical Institutions, Baltimore, Maryland 21287 0910, USA
Clin Cancer Res 14:97-107. 2008..To evaluate aberrant promoter hypermethylation of candidate tumor suppressor genes as a means to detect epigenetic alterations specific to solid tumors, including head and neck squamous cell carcinoma (HNSCC)...
- Effectiveness of image-guided radiotherapy for laryngeal sparing in head and neck cancerNam P Nguyen
Department of Radiation Oncology, University of Arizona, Tucson, AZ 85724 5081, USA
Oral Oncol 46:283-6. 2010..0001). Laryngeal sparing IGRT technique for head and neck cancer minimizes radiotherapy dose to the larynx and pharynx without sacrificing target coverage, even in the presence of neck lymph nodes...
- Spectral clustering of microarray data elucidates the roles of microenvironment remodeling and immune responses in survival of head and neck squamous cell carcinomaJohanna K Thurlow
The Beatson Institute for Cancer Research, Glasgow, Scotland, United Kingdom
J Clin Oncol 28:2881-8. 2010..To identify functionally related prognostic gene sets for head and neck squamous cell carcinoma (HNSCC) by unsupervised statistical analysis of microarray data...
- Comparison of radiosensitizing effects of the mammalian target of rapamycin inhibitor CCI-779 to cisplatin in experimental models of head and neck squamous cell carcinomaOleksandr Ekshyyan
Department of Otolaryngology Head and Neck Surgery, Louisiana State University Health Sciences Center, Shreveport, Louisiana 71130 3932, USA
Mol Cancer Ther 8:2255-65. 2009..CCI-779 + XRT showed antitumor activity superior to conventional chemoradiotherapy with cisplatin. These results pave the way for clinical trials using molecular targeted therapy with CCI-779 in combination with XRT for HNSCC treatment...
- Sexual behaviours and the risk of head and neck cancers: a pooled analysis in the International Head and Neck Cancer Epidemiology (INHANCE) consortiumJulia E Heck
Lifestyle, Environment, and Cancer Group, International Agency for Research on Cancer, Lyon, France
Int J Epidemiol 39:166-81. 2010..Sexual contact may be the means by which head and neck cancer patients are exposed to human papillomavirus (HPV)...
- Swallowing dysfunction after chemoradiation for advanced squamous cell carcinoma of the head and neckTamar Kotz
Brigham and Women s Hospital, Boston, Massachusetts, USA
Head Neck 26:365-72. 2004..Swallowing dysfunction is a common side effect of chemoradiation...
- Role of Glypican-1 in Pancreatic CancerMurray Korc; Fiscal Year: 2007..Together, these studies will help to elucidate the role of glypican-1 in PDAC. [unreadable] [unreadable]..
- Image-guided radiation therapy of prostate cancerQiuwen Wu; Fiscal Year: 2009..The adoption of image guidance will allow significantly increased local control and reduced radiation induced complications in prostate cancer patients. ..
- KARAM E EL-BAYOUMY; Fiscal Year: 2016....
- Scott G Filler; Fiscal Year: 2014..albicans Cht2 and Hgt12 govern epithelial cell invasion, damage, and virulence;and 3) use overexpression-rescue and null mutant analysis to identify additional target genes of Tpk2 that mediate epithelial cell invasion and damage. ..
- The 26S Proteasome in Cancer Stem CellsFrank Pajonk; Fiscal Year: 2013....
- Cun Yu Wang; Fiscal Year: 2016..We will determine whether HGF target genes are abnormally expressed in human SCC tumors and are associated with metastasis. New findings from this study will help us to develop novel strategies for treating SCC and other human cancers. ..
- Virotherapy for Squamous Cell Carcinoma of the Head and NeckStephen J Russell; Fiscal Year: 2010....
- The Molecular Basis of Head and Neck Cancer Biology, Treatment and PreventionGregory T Wolf; Fiscal Year: 2013..abstract_text> ..
- Theresa L Whiteside; Fiscal Year: 2016..abstract_text> ..
- Development and Evaluation of a VRX CT ScannerFrank DiBianca; Fiscal Year: 2006..abstract_text> ..
- Cetuximab for Treatment of High-risk Pre-malignant Upper Aerodigestive LesionsJoseph Califano; Fiscal Year: 2009....
- FOLLOW-UP OF PATIENTS X-IRRADIATED FOR SCALP RINGWORMRoy Shore; Fiscal Year: 1993..The study will also provide evidence on the temporal distribution of and possible host susceptibility factors for radiogenic CNS tumors...
- Role of Cystatins in Oral Cancer MetastasisNadarajah Vigneswaran; Fiscal Year: 2007..Insights gained from these studies will be used to design therapeutic strategies for restoring immune competence of OSCC patients to prevent and eradicate OSCC metastasis. [unreadable] [unreadable] [unreadable]..
- CLINICAL CANCER--DENTALArthur Miller; Fiscal Year: 1980..continuing a program of oral health care for patients undergoing radiation therapy for malignant oral, head and neck neoplasms, involving graduate students in periodontology and dental hygiene students...
- PROMOTING PATIENT SELF-CARE IN HEAD AND NECK CANCERDarlene Mood; Fiscal Year: 1990..The testing of a theory-based model increases the likelihood that results can be generalized to other patient populations...
- MR Spectroscropy and Imaging in Head and Neck TumorsHarish Poptani; Fiscal Year: 2007..abstract_text> ..
- MEASUREABLE EFFECTS IN HEAD AND NECK SURVIVORSBruce Campbell; Fiscal Year: 2000..The results of the subjective and objective data will be correlated looking for areas of future intervention. ..
- MUTANT P53 PROTEINS IN CANCER PATIENT AND NORMAL SERAFred Reynolds; Fiscal Year: 1992..Rapid quantitation of serum mutant p53 should facilitate research on the clinical significance of p53 and could improve the specific diagnosis, prognostic evaluation and monitoring of human cancers...
- PREDICTING TUMOR RESPONSE BY 31-P MRSJason Koutcher; Fiscal Year: 1999..Phospholipid metabolism may be an important factor in determining tumor growth, cell cycle distribution, metastases and other important facets of tumor biology and the NMR studies may yield new insights into this area. ..
- HUMAN MONOCLONAL ANTIBODIES TO STUDY AND TREAT HIVMarshall Posner; Fiscal Year: 2003..We will also study long term non-progressors and early progressors to assess the relationship of antibody to intact PI virions to control of disease as a basis for larger more powerful evaluations. ..
- Functional Mechanisms of Antibody Inhibition of HIV-1Marshall Posner; Fiscal Year: 2008..Long-term objectives will be to select constructs from in vitro testing for further testing in non-human primate models of prevention and therapeutics. ..
- BENIGN BREAST DISEASE--MOLECULAR DIFFERENTIATION OF RISKMaria Worsham; Fiscal Year: 2001....
- MOLECULAR MODELING OF DIAGNOSIS AND PROGNOSIS IN HNSCCMaria Worsham; Fiscal Year: 2009..abstract_text> ..
- CD44-P185HER2 INTERACTION IN OVARIAN CANCER PROGRESSIONLILLY BOURGUIGNON; Fiscal Year: 2007..abstract_text> ..
- CD44/VARIANT CYTOSKELETON IN BREAST CANCER PROGRESSIONLILLY YW BOURGUIGNON; Fiscal Year: 2010....
- Molecular Characterization of p53R2 in Head and Neck CaStuart Wong; Fiscal Year: 2004..We will identify and characterize the frequency of p53R2 gene SNPs in HNSCC patients and test the hypothesis that p53R2 gene SNPs predict adverse normal tissue radiation effects in HNSCC patients treated with radiation. ..
- Parenchymal/Stem Cell Pathways for Salivary Gland RepairRobert Redman; Fiscal Year: 2003..abstract_text> ..
- Eating Behaviors in Homebound Older AdultsJULIE LOCHER; Fiscal Year: 2005....
- Smoking Relapse Among Lung Cancer and Head and Neck Cancer PatientsVANI SIMMONS; Fiscal Year: 2008..unreadable] [unreadable] [unreadable]..
- Immunogenetics of Cervical and Vulvar CancerStephen Schwartz; Fiscal Year: 2009....
- Temporal Variation of Organ Dose Distribution in RTDi Yan; Fiscal Year: 2007..Explore practical methods to include temporal variation of organ dose distribution, estimated from image feedback, in treatment planning optimization. ..
- Imaging Evaluation of Cancer ChemopreventionZhi Wang; Fiscal Year: 2007..unreadable] [unreadable]..
- Magnetic Resonance Imaging of Glutathione in TumorsMICHAEL GAMCSIK; Fiscal Year: 2003..abstract_text> ..
- Tumor Ablation using RadiofrequencyS Goldberg; Fiscal Year: 2003..RF tissue heating and coagulation will be compared to determine the best method for increasing RF ablation efficacy in each tumor and tissue model. ..
- Positron Emission Tomography in Prostate CancerFarrokh Dehdashti; Fiscal Year: 2008..PET may also contribute significant prognostic information that may affect the decision to administer early adjuvant therapy to delay or prevent recurrence. [unreadable] [unreadable]..
- Spectroscopic Imaging of Antioxidant Metabolism in the BrainMICHAEL GAMCSIK; Fiscal Year: 2008..Using a rat model of aging, MRI will be used to determine the effectiveness of antioxidant therapy with the potential to slow or reverse the neurodegenerative process. [unreadable] [unreadable] [unreadable]..
- Medialization VS. Reinnervation For Vocal Cord ParalysisJay Piccirillo; Fiscal Year: 2004..These data will be used to test the hypothesis that reinnervation gives better results than medialization in patients with UVFP. ..
- Opposing Roles for MEK/ERK in Differentiation & LeukemiaDaniel Johnson; Fiscal Year: 2009....
- Noninvasive Monitoring Glutathione Metabolism in TumorsMICHAEL GAMCSIK; Fiscal Year: 2010..abstract_text> ..
- Defining Molecular Markers for Tumor HypoxiaQUYNH THU XUAN LE; Fiscal Year: 2010..abstract_text> ..
- Oxygen Guided Hypofractionated Radiotherapy for GliomasNadeem Khan; Fiscal Year: 2010....
- Regulatory function of fyn in oral SCC invasionDaniel M Ramos; Fiscal Year: 2010..abstract_text> ..
- COMMON VARIANTS IN CANDIDATE GENES AND PREMATURE MI RISKStephen Schwartz; Fiscal Year: 2001....
- Voice-preserving Treatment of Larynegeal PapillomaZhi Wang; Fiscal Year: 2006..unreadable] [unreadable]..
- GREENBAUM CANCER CENTER, UNIVERSITY OF MARYLANDKevin Cullen; Fiscal Year: 2004..The P-20 is a crucial landmark and will provide support to advance programmatic activities and enhance translational research towards the goal of a P-30 Grant Award. ..
- Comorbidity prognostic Impact in Elderly Cancer PatientsJay Piccirillo; Fiscal Year: 2005..abstract_text> ..
- Gabapentin for Relief of Idiopathic Subjective TinnitusJay Piccirillo; Fiscal Year: 2005..The findings from this research could have significant health impact for a large number of Americans. ..
- AP4 Planning for Targeted Drugs in Orphan CancersKevin Cullen; Fiscal Year: 2004..The specific aims, when accomplished, will result in a successful planning year and the creation of an innovative, goal-oriented AP4 Center. ..
- Coactivation of Estrogen Receptor alpha/Sp1Stephen Safe; Fiscal Year: 2006..abstract_text> ..
- ORAL MELANOMA: ALPHA V BETA 3 EXPRESSION AND METASTASISDaniel Ramos; Fiscal Year: 2004..Understanding the role beta3 plays in oral melanoma invasion and metastasis may lead to novel prognostic indicators and development of new treatment strategies. ..
- Tumor suppressor gene at 6q in adenoid cystic carcinomaChristopher Moskaluk; Fiscal Year: 2006..Since AGO appears to have a smaller number of genetic changes than these other malignancies, it may serve as a simpler system to identify the 6q tumor suppressor gene. ..
- Oral Health Outcomes of Early Childhood MalnutritionWalter Psoter; Fiscal Year: 2006..Given the universality of PEM pathophysiology, this study's findings will be generalizable to subsets of U.S. children having 9 oral health disparities. [unreadable] [unreadable]..
- ORAL CANCER--DNA POLYMORPHISMS IN CARCINOGEN METABOLISMStephen Schwartz; Fiscal Year: 2001....
- Persistent Organochlorines and Testicular Cancer RiskStephen Schwartz; Fiscal Year: 2004..The results should add significant new information to our understanding of the role of environmental contaminants to the pathogenesis of TGCC. ..
- INCLUSION OF COMORBIDITY IN ONCOLOGY DATA REGISTRIESJay Piccirillo; Fiscal Year: 2002..An alternative, low-cost option to train registrars to code comorbidity and provide updated information is to use the Internet via the World Wide Web. ..
- RANDOMIZED ADJUVANT THERAPY OF HEAD AND NECK CANCERDong Shin; Fiscal Year: 2001....
- CASE CONTROL STUDY OF RISK FACTORS FOR WILMS TUMORAndrew Olshan; Fiscal Year: 2002..This study will provide important new advances in our understanding of Wilms tumor given the study size, quality of exposure assessment, and incorporation of clinical and biological markers of etiologic heterogeneity. ..
- T(15;19) in Aggressive Pediatric CarcinomaChristopher French; Fiscal Year: 2006..These studies will also reveal the range of primary sites from which t(15;19)+ carcinomas arise. ..
- Long-term outcomes of head and neck cancer patientsGerry Funk; Fiscal Year: 2009..abstract_text> ..
- Immunogenetics of Cervical Cancer A Family-Based DesignStephen Schwartz; Fiscal Year: 2005..The proposed study will contribute to our understanding of the role of immune response and genetics in invasive cervical cancer etiology, both of which may have a direct impact on vaccine development. ..
- RCT of Family Focused Grief Therapy in Palliative Care & BereavementDAVID WILLIAM KISSANE; Fiscal Year: 2010..Bereavement care will be approached preventively with a continuity of care model. ..
- Collaborative Tinnitus Research at Washington UniversityJay F Piccirillo; Fiscal Year: 2010..This study is unique since all subjects will have thorough neurocognitive testing and PET scan imaging at baseline, after sham, and after active treatment. ..
- EGFR/Radiation Response and Resistance InteractionsPaul M Harari; Fiscal Year: 2010..In this research proposal, we seek to increase the percentage of cancer patients who benefit from leading cancer drugs through the identification and disabling of specific tumor cell molecules that promote treatment resistance. ..
- MIDCAREER INVESTIGATOR AWARDKevin Cullen; Fiscal Year: 2003..The application describes the candidate's background as well as his current research program as well as the clinical and research structure of the Lombardi Cancer Center. ..
- Development of a Skin Cancer Quality of Life InsturmentJohn Rhee; Fiscal Year: 2005....
- ALKYL PCDFS--INHIBITION OF MAMMARY CANCERStephen Safe; Fiscal Year: 2001..Thus the proposed studies will define a new mechanism-based class of antiestrogens that can be used alone or in combination with tamoxifen for treatment of breast and endometrial cancer. ..
- TREATMENT RESPONSE MARKERS IN ADVANCED LARYNGEAL CANCERCarol Bradford; Fiscal Year: 2003..The information acquired in this work should result in new trials that employ predictive markers to select the most appropriate and effective treatment for advanced laryngeal cancer. ..
- Depsipeptide for the Treatment of Head and Neck CancerMissak Haigentz; Fiscal Year: 2006..abstract_text> ..
- Biology,Prevention,and Treatment of Head & Neck CancerCarol Bradford; Fiscal Year: 2006..The Workshops are of utmost importance for research progress in head and neck cancer biology, therapy and prevention and progress contributing to the public health. [unreadable] [unreadable]..
- Monitoring Oxygen Repeatedly for Hypoxic Tumor TherapyMohammad Khan; Fiscal Year: 2007..If successful, this approach potentially could be immediately extended for clinical applications. [unreadable] [unreadable] [unreadable]..
- PROJECT ALLIFE-EXERCISE AND LEUKEMIA SURVIVORSKevin Oeffinger; Fiscal Year: 2006..This study will represent the first clinical trial aimed at increasing physical activity in leukemia survivors and will advance our understanding of this vulnerable population. ..
- 2,3,7,8,--TCDD Effects on the Estrogenic ResponsesStephen Safe; Fiscal Year: 2006..The proposed Aims will address important mechanistic considerations on IDRE-independent inhibitory AhR-ERa crosstalk and pathways critical for inhibition of mammary tumor growth by SAhRMs. ..
- Comparison of Comorbidity Collection MethodsJay Piccirillo; Fiscal Year: 2008..abstract_text> ..
- Oral HPV Infection in HIV-Infected Men and WomenMaura Gillison; Fiscal Year: 2008..This proposal has the potential to yield information important for future efforts at primary prevention and early detection of HPV-HNSCC. ..
- Admixture Mapping of Sarcoidosis Genes in African AmericanBenjamin Rybicki; Fiscal Year: 2007..Our proposed study has the potential to uncover genes of modest effect not easily detectable by linkage and may in some instances actually be more statistically powerful than traditional case-control association methods. ..
- Rescue of radiation-induced salivary gland dysfunction by AktKIRSTEN LIMESAND; Fiscal Year: 2008..unreadable] [unreadable] [unreadable]..
- TASTE PSYCHOPHYSICSLinda Bartoshuk; Fiscal Year: 2008..In sum, we are now equipped to uncover the full range of oral sensory variation and its effects on diet and health. ..
- TOXICOLOGY OF ENVIRONMENT CONTAMINANTSStephen Safe; Fiscal Year: 2007..The proposed training program will continue to provide trainees with a challenging academic and research environment that will prepare them for future careers in academic, industry and government. ..
- DNA-Based Vaccines for Oral CarcnomaTheresa Whiteside; Fiscal Year: 2005....
- Gene Environment Interaction in Head and Neck CancerAndrew Olshan; Fiscal Year: 2005..The proposed study should contribute knowledge on gene-environment interactions for cancer of the head and neck, but also for other tobacco- and alcohol-related cancers and possibly cancers of unknown etiology. ..
- Chemoprevention of Head and Neck Cancer with ZD1839 and CelecoxibDong Shin; Fiscal Year: 2008..Biomarker changes will be correlated with cancer incidence by statistical analyses. We will also determine whether such biomarker changes can serve as intermediate endpoint(s) in this chemopreventive trial. ..
- Colon Cancer Inhibition by a Class of PPARgamma AgonistsStephen Safe; Fiscal Year: 2009..The proposed studies will provide mechanistic insights on PPARy-dependent inhibition of colon cancer and identify compounds for future clinical studies. ..
- Role of Cathepsin D in Chemotherapy Induced Cell DeathDaniel Johnson; Fiscal Year: 2005..Together, these studies will delineate the importance of cathepsin D in VP- 16-induced cell death, and define the mechanism of action of this protease. ..