Genomes and Genes
basal cell carcinoma
Summary: A malignant skin neoplasm that seldom metastasizes but has potentialities for local invasion and destruction. Clinically it is divided into types: nodular, cicatricial, morphaic, and erythematoid (pagetoid). More than 95% of these carcinomas occur in patients over 40. They develop on hair-bearing skin, most commonly on sun-exposed areas. Approximately 85% are found on the head and neck area and the remaining 15% on the trunk and limbs. (From Dorland, 27th ed; DeVita Jr et al., Cancer: Principles & Practice of Oncology, 3d ed, p1471)
Articles from Journal RESEARCH
Articles from Journal RESEARCH1
Publications373 found, 100 shown here
- Hedgehog beyond medulloblastoma and basal cell carcinomaStephan Teglund
Department of Biosciences and Nutrition, Karolinska Institutet, SE 141 57 Huddinge, Sweden
Biochim Biophys Acta 1805:181-208. 2010..The Hh pathway is firmly linked to the etiology of basal cell carcinoma and to at least a subset of medulloblastoma...
- Activating Smoothened mutations in sporadic basal-cell carcinomaJ Xie
Department of Dermatology, San Francisco General Hospital, University of California, 94110, USA
Nature 391:90-2. 1998..These findings support the role of SMO as a signalling component of the SHH-receptor complex and provide direct evidence that mutated SMO can function as an oncogene in BCCs...
- New common variants affecting susceptibility to basal cell carcinomaSimon N Stacey
deCODE Genetics, Reykjavik, Iceland
Nat Genet 41:909-14. 2009In a follow-up to our previously reported genome-wide association study of cutaneous basal cell carcinoma (BCC), we describe here several new susceptibility variants...
- Identification of the cell lineage at the origin of basal cell carcinomaKhalil Kass Youssef
Universite Libre de Bruxelles ULB, IRIBHM, Brussels B 1070, Belgium
Nat Cell Biol 12:299-305. 2010..Here, we used mouse genetics to identify cells at the origin of basal cell carcinoma (BCC), which is one of the most frequently occurring types of cancer in humans, and can result from the ..
- Surface microscopy of pigmented basal cell carcinomaS W Menzies
Department of Surgery, University of Sydney, Australia
Arch Dermatol 136:1012-6. 2000To describe the relevant morphologic features and to create a simple diagnostic method for pigmented basal cell carcinoma (BCC) using in vivo cutaneous surface microscopy (ie, dermoscopy, dermatoscopy, or oil epiluminescence microscopy).
- Tumor-associated macrophage-induced invasion and angiogenesis of human basal cell carcinoma cells by cyclooxygenase-2 inductionJeng Wei Tjiu
Department of Dermatology, National Taiwan University Hospital and National Taiwan University College of Medicine, Taipei, Taiwan
J Invest Dermatol 129:1016-25. 2009..However, the role of TAMs in human basal cell carcinoma (BCC) remains elusive...
- Somatic mutations in the PTCH, SMOH, SUFUH and TP53 genes in sporadic basal cell carcinomasJ Reifenberger
Department of Dermatology, Heinrich Heine University, Moorenstrasse 5, D 40225 Dusseldorf, Germany
Br J Dermatol 152:43-51. 2005b>Basal cell carcinoma (BCC) of the skin is the most common human cancer. The genetic alterations underlying BCC development are only partly understood.
- Current modalities and new advances in the treatment of basal cell carcinomaRoger I Ceilley
Department of Dermatology, University of Iowa School of Medicine, Iowa City, IA, USA
Int J Dermatol 45:489-98. 2006b>Basal cell carcinoma (BCC) is one of the most common cancers. Surgical extirpation is currently the standard of care for BCC, which is associated with several advantages and disadvantages...
- Mechanisms of inactivation of PTCH1 gene in nevoid basal cell carcinoma syndrome: modification of the two-hit hypothesisShuang Pan
Department of Oral Pathology, Peking University School and Hospital of Stomatology, Beijing, China
Clin Cancer Res 16:442-50. 2010PTCH1 has been identified as the gene responsible for nevoid basal cell carcinoma syndrome (NBCCS). Keratocystic odontogenic tumors (KCOT) are aggressive jaw lesions that may occur in isolation or in association with NBCCS...
- Dermatoscopy of basal cell carcinoma: morphologic variability of global and local features and accuracy of diagnosisDavide Altamura
Department of Dermatology, University of L Aquila, L Aquila, Italy
J Am Acad Dermatol 62:67-75. 2010Early detection of basal cell carcinoma (BCC) is crucial to reduce the morbidity of this tumor.
- The epidemiology of UV induced skin cancerB K Armstrong
Cancer Research and Registers Division, New South Wales Cancer Council, PO Box 572, Kings Cross 2011, Australia
J Photochem Photobiol B 63:8-18. 2001There is persuasive evidence that each of the three main types of skin cancer, basal cell carcinoma (BCC), squamous cell carcinoma (SCC) and melanoma, is caused by sun exposure...
- G-protein-coupled receptor GPR49 is up-regulated in basal cell carcinoma and promotes cell proliferation and tumor formationKeiji Tanese
Department of Pathology, Keio University School of Medicine, 35 Shinanomachi, Shinjuku ku, Tokyo 160 8582, Japan
Am J Pathol 173:835-43. 2008The significance of Hedgehog (HH) signaling in the development of basal cell carcinoma (BCC) has been established...
- Photodynamic therapy using topical methyl aminolevulinate vs surgery for nodular basal cell carcinoma: results of a multicenter randomized prospective trialLesley E Rhodes
Department of Dermatology, Royal Liverpool University Hospital, Liverpool, England
Arch Dermatol 140:17-23. 2004Photodynamic therapy (PDT) is increasingly used as a noninvasive treatment for nodular basal cell carcinoma (BCC), without a sound evidence base.
- Human GLI2 and GLI1 are part of a positive feedback mechanism in Basal Cell CarcinomaGerhard Regl
Institute of Genetics, University of Salzburg, A 5020 Salzburg, Austria
Oncogene 21:5529-39. 2002..GLI1 by Hedgehog (Hh)-signalling is a key step in the initiation of the tumorigenic programme leading to Basal Cell Carcinoma (BCC). However, the downstream events underlying Hh/GLI-induced BCC development are still obscure...
- Epidemiology and aetiology of basal cell carcinomaJ Roewert-Huber
Department of Dermatology Venereology and Allergy, Skin Cancer Center Charite, University Hospital of Berlin, Berlin, Germany
Br J Dermatol 157:47-51. 2007b>Basal cell carcinoma (BCC) is a malignant epithelial neoplasm of the skin preferentially affecting male caucasians and is rarely observed in patients with more intense skin pigmentation...
- Guidelines for the management of basal cell carcinomaN R Telfer
Dermatology Centre, Salford Royal Hospitals NHS Foundation Trust, Manchester M6 8HD, UK
Br J Dermatol 159:35-48. 2008..regular updating of the previous British Association of Dermatologists guidelines for the management of basal cell carcinoma. These guidelines present evidence-based guidance for treatment, with identification of the strength of ..
- Germline BRCA1 mutations and a basal epithelial phenotype in breast cancerWilliam D Foulkes
Program in Cancer Genetics, Department of Oncology and Human Genetics, Research Institute of the McGill University Health Centre, Montreal, Quebec, Canada
J Natl Cancer Inst 95:1482-5. 2003..0, 95% confidence interval = 1.9 to 43; P =.002, two-sided Fisher's exact test). Thus, germline BRCA1 mutations appear to be associated with a distinctive breast cancer phenotype...
- Differentiation among basal cell carcinoma, benign lesions, and normal skin using electric impedanceDaryl G Beetner
Department of Electrical and Computer Engineering, University of Missouri Rolla, 126 Emerson Electric Company Hall, Rolla, MO 65409, USA
IEEE Trans Biomed Eng 50:1020-5. 2003This paper presents a preliminary study showing the diagnostic potential of electrical impedance to detect basal cell carcinoma (BCC)...
- Does the inclusion of a cost attribute result in different preferences for the surgical treatment of primary basal cell carcinoma?: a comparison of two discrete-choice experimentsBrigitte A B Essers
Department of Clinical Epidemiology and Medical Technology Assessment, University Hospital Maastricht, 6202 AZ Maastricht, The Netherlands
Pharmacoeconomics 28:507-20. 2010....
- Fluorescence lifetime imaging distinguishes basal cell carcinoma from surrounding uninvolved skinN P Galletly
Department of Histopathology, Imperial College London, Du Cane Road, London W12 ONN, UK
Br J Dermatol 159:152-61. 2008..Fluorescence lifetime imaging (FLIM) is a novel imaging technique that generates image contrast between different states of tissue due to differences in fluorescence decay rates...
- Use of pyrosequencing to detect clinically relevant polymorphisms of genes in basal cell carcinomaZhenzhong Zhang
Pharmacy School, Zhengzhou University, Daxue Road 40, Zhengzhou, Henan, China
Clin Chim Acta 342:137-43. 2004Pyrosequencing is a new method to detect single nucleotide polymorphisms (SNPs). Basal cell carcinoma (BCC) is one of the most common neoplasms in the world, and its incidence has been increasing worldwide in recent years...
- Five-year follow-up of a randomized, prospective trial of topical methyl aminolevulinate photodynamic therapy vs surgery for nodular basal cell carcinomaLesley E Rhodes
Photobiology Unit, Department of Dermatology, University of Manchester, Salford Royal Foundation Hospital, Manchester M6 8HD, England
Arch Dermatol 143:1131-6. 2007To compare 5-year lesion recurrence rates in primary nodular basal cell carcinoma treated with topical methyl aminolevulinate photodynamic therapy (PDT) or simple excision surgery.
- Photodynamic therapy with methyl aminolevulinate for primary nodular basal cell carcinoma: results of two randomized studiesPeter Foley
Department of Medicine Dermatology, The University of Melbourne, St Vincent s Hospital Melbourne, Fitzroy, Victoria, Australia
Int J Dermatol 48:1236-45. 2009..topical methyl aminolevulinate (MAL PDT) may be a noninvasive alternative to excisional surgery for nodular basal cell carcinoma (BCC)...
- Mohs' micrographic surgery for treatment of basal cell carcinoma of the face--results of a retrospective study and review of the literatureN W J Smeets
Department of Epidemiology, University of Maastricht, The Netherlands
Br J Dermatol 151:141-7. 2004The incidence of skin cancer and especially basal cell carcinoma (BCC) has increased in the last decade and is still increasing. Many treatment modalities can be used to treat BCC; surgical excision is the most frequently used...
- Polymorphisms in COX-2, NSAID use and risk of basal cell carcinoma in a prospective study of DanesUlla Vogel
National Research Centre for Working Environment, DK 2100 Copenhagen O, Denmark
Mutat Res 617:138-46. 2007We investigated the risk of basal cell carcinoma (BCC) in relation to a number of single nucleotide polymorphisms in genes involved in the inflammatory response...
- Does solar exposure, as indicated by the non-melanoma skin cancers, protect from solid cancers: vitamin D as a possible explanationPentti Tuohimaa
Medical School, Department of Clinical Chemistry, University of Tampere, Tampere University Hospital, Tampere 33014, Finland
Eur J Cancer 43:1701-12. 2007..The aim of this study was to assess whether patients with skin cancer have an altered risk of developing other cancers...
- Common variants on 1p36 and 1q42 are associated with cutaneous basal cell carcinoma but not with melanoma or pigmentation traitsSimon N Stacey
deCODE Genetics, Sturlugata 8, 101 Reykjavik, Iceland
Nat Genet 40:1313-8. 2008To search for new sequence variants that confer risk of cutaneous basal cell carcinoma (BCC), we conducted a genome-wide SNP association study of 930 Icelanders with BCC and 33,117 controls...
- Human papillomaviruses and non-melanoma skin cancer: basic virology and clinical manifestationsIngo Nindl
Department of Dermatology, Charite, Skin Cancer Center Charite, University Hospital of Berlin, Chariteplatz 1, D 10117 Berlin, Germany
Dis Markers 23:247-59. 2007..Non-melanoma skin cancer (NMSC), encompassing basal cell carcinoma and squamous cell carcinoma (SCC), is the most frequent cancer in the Caucasian population, and the ..
- Identification of a small molecule inhibitor of the hedgehog signaling pathway: effects on basal cell carcinoma-like lesionsJuliet A Williams
Curis Incorporated, 61 Moulton Street, Cambridge, MA 02138, USA
Proc Natl Acad Sci U S A 100:4616-21. 2003The link between basal cell carcinoma (BCC) and aberrant activation of the Hedgehog (Hh) signaling pathway has been well established in humans and in mouse models...
- Differential ErbB1 signaling in squamous cell versus basal cell carcinoma of the skinLaure Rittie
Department of Dermatology, University of Michigan Medical Center, 1500 East Medical Center Drive, Ann Arbor, MI 48109 0932, USA
Am J Pathol 170:2089-99. 2007..Our results suggest that targeting ErbB1 signaling might be of benefit in the treatment of SCC...
- The catalog of human cytokeratins: patterns of expression in normal epithelia, tumors and cultured cellsR Moll
Cell 31:11-24. 1982
- Imiquimod 5% cream for the treatment of superficial basal cell carcinoma: results from two phase III, randomized, vehicle-controlled studiesJohn Geisse
Solano Dermatology Associates, Vallejo, CA 94589, USA
J Am Acad Dermatol 50:722-33. 2004..Imiquimod has been shown to be efficacious as a topical treatment for basal cell carcinoma (BCC).
- Basal cell carcinomas developing in solid organ transplant recipients: clinicopathologic study of 176 casesJean Kanitakis
Department of Dermatology, Edouard Herriot Hospital, Lyon, France
Arch Dermatol 139:1133-7. 2003..To assess the clinicopathologic features of basal cell carcinomas developing in organ transplant recipients...
- Tumor-selective induction of apoptosis and the small-molecule immune response modifier imiquimodMargarete Schön
Department of Dermatology, Otto von Guericke University, Magdeburg, Germany
J Natl Cancer Inst 95:1138-49. 2003..Imiquimod acts both indirectly, via cytokine-mediated stimulation of cellular immune responses, and directly, through unknown mechanisms against tumor cells. We examined the mechanism by which imiquimod induces apoptosis in cancer cells...
- Selective distribution of porphyrins in skin thick basal cell carcinoma after topical application of methyl 5-aminolevulinateQ Peng
Department of Pathology, The Norwegian Radium Hospital, University of Oslo, Montebello, 0310 Oslo, Norway
J Photochem Photobiol B 62:140-5. 2001Topical photodynamic therapy (PDT) of superficial basal cell carcinoma (BCC) with 5-aminolevulinic acid (ALA) has achieved promising clinical results...
- The increase in tryptase- and chymase-positive mast cells is associated with partial inactivation of chymase and increase in protease inhibitors in basal cell carcinomaN C Diaconu
Department of Dermatology, University Hospital, University of Kuopio, 70211 Kuopio, Finland
J Eur Acad Dermatol Venereol 21:908-15. 2007In basal cell carcinoma (BCC), mast cells accumulate in the peritumoral stroma...
- Correlation of thickness of basal cell carcinoma by optical coherence tomography in vivo and routine histologic findings: a pilot studyJesse M Olmedo
Department of Dermatology, Mayo Clinic, Scottsdale, Arizona 85259, USA
Dermatol Surg 33:421-5; discussion 425-6. 2007..Optical coherence tomography uses advanced photonics and fiber optics to obtain high-resolution cross-sectional images and tissue characterization in real time...
- Pattern of mRNA expression of beta-defensins in basal cell carcinomaT Gambichler
Department of Dermatology and Allergology, Ruhr University Bochum Gudrunstr, 56, D 44791 Bochum, Germany
BMC Cancer 6:163. 2006..The present work was aimed on the study of hBD gene expression in basal cell carcinoma (BCC) which is the most common cancer in humans.
- Imiquimod 5% cream for the treatment of superficial basal cell carcinoma: a double-blind, randomized, vehicle-controlled studyJohn K Geisse
Solano Dermatology Associates, Vallejo, California 94589, USA
J Am Acad Dermatol 47:390-8. 2002Imiquimod 5% cream may provide an effective nonsurgical treatment for superficial basal cell carcinoma (sBCC) based on results of previous studies.
- MC1R and PTCH gene polymorphism in French patients with basal cell carcinomasMuriel Liboutet
INSERM U716, Paris, France
J Invest Dermatol 126:1510-7. 2006..3944C>T (P1315L), insertion 18 bp IVS1-83) as risk factors for basal cell carcinoma (BCC) in the French population...
- Skin cancers after organ transplantationSylvie Euvrard
Department of Dermatology, Edouard Herriot Hospital, Lyons, France
N Engl J Med 348:1681-91. 2003
- Bcl-2 and CD10 expression in the differential diagnosis of trichoblastoma, basal cell carcinoma, and basal cell carcinoma with follicular differentiationAlicia Cordoba
Department of Pathology, Hospital of Navarra, Pamplona, Spain
Int J Dermatol 48:713-7. 2009Both trichoblastoma and basal cell carcinoma (BCC) of the skin are characterized morphologically by the proliferation of basaloid cells; however, BCCs are clinically associated with a more aggressive behavior...
- Increase in incidence rates of basal cell and squamous cell skin cancer in New Hampshire, USA. New Hampshire Skin Cancer Study GroupM R Karagas
Department of Community and Family Medicine, Dartmouth Medical School, Hanover, NH, USA
Int J Cancer 81:555-9. 1999..Studies of BCC and SCC occurrence are needed to identify possible behavioral and environmental factors and to assess possible changes in diagnostic practices that might account for the rise in incidence of these common malignancies...
- Comparative analysis of immunohistochemical markers with invasiveness and histologic differentiation in squamous cell carcinoma and basal cell carcinoma of the skinKyung Dong Son
Department of Plastic and Reconstructive Surgery, Kangnam St Mary s Hospital, College of Medicine, The Catholic University of Korea, Seoul, Korea
J Surg Oncol 97:615-20. 2008This study evaluates several tumor-related markers to examine the expression pattern of markers according to the invasiveness and histopathologic differentiation of squamous cell carcinoma and basal cell carcinoma.
- Aneuploidy, but not Ki-67 or EGFR expression, is associated with recurrences in basal cell carcinomaDelphine Janisson-Dargaud
Service de Dermatologie, Hopital Robert Debre, Reims, France
J Cutan Pathol 35:916-21. 2008b>Basal cell carcinoma (BCC), the most common skin cancer, has an overall excellent prognosis, but recurrences are frequent. The value of classical clinical and histological prognostic factors to predict recurrences remain limited.
- The multicentre south European study 'Helios'. II: Different sun exposure patterns in the aetiology of basal cell and squamous cell carcinomas of the skinS Rosso
, Escuela Andaluza de Salud Publica, Spain
Br J Cancer 73:1447-54. 1996..Results are analysed for 1549 basal cell carcinoma (BCC) cases and 228 squamous cell carcinoma (SCC) cases compared with 1795 controls...
- Enhanced type I interferon signaling and recruitment of chemokine receptor CXCR3-expressing lymphocytes into the skin following treatment with the TLR7-agonist imiquimodJoerg Wenzel
Department of Dermatology, University of Bonn, Bonn, Germany
J Cutan Pathol 32:257-62. 2005..of external genital and perianal warts which can mediate regression of several cutaneous malignancies [basal cell carcinoma (BCC), Bowen's disease, actinic keratosis, and metastasis of malignant melanoma]...
- Epidemiology and aetiology of basal cell carcinomaH Tran
Department of Dermatology, St George Hospital, University of NSW, Sydney, Australia
Br J Dermatol 149:50-2. 2003b>Basal cell carcinoma is the most common malignancy among caucasians worldwide. Accurate epidemiological data can be difficult to obtain, but does suggest that the overall incidence is increasing...
- Metastatic basal cell carcinomaM Akinci
Department of General Surgery, Oncology Hospital, Ankara, Turkey
Acta Chir Belg 108:269-72. 2008
- Predictive variables for the biological behaviour of basal cell carcinoma of the face: relevance of morphometry of the nucleiT Appel
Department of Oral and Maxillofacial Surgery, University of Bonn, Bonn, Germany
Br J Oral Maxillofac Surg 41:147-50. 2003We did a morphometric analysis of 130 histological sections of basal cell carcinoma (BCC) of the face to find out whether morphometric variables in the structure of the nuclei of BCC cells could serve as predictors of the biological ..
- Modification of alternative splicing of Mcl-1 pre-mRNA using antisense morpholino oligonucleotides induces apoptosis in basal cell carcinoma cellsJeng Jer Shieh
Institute of Medical Technology, National Chung Hsing University, Taichung, Taiwan
J Invest Dermatol 129:2497-506. 2009..In this study, we found an imbalance between the expression levels of Mcl-1L and Mcl-1S in the skin basal cell carcinoma (BCC) cell line when compared with primary keratinocytes...
- PTCH codon 1315 polymorphism and risk for nonmelanoma skin cancerA Asplund
Department of Biotechnology, Royal Institute of Technology, AlbaNova University Centre, Roslagstullsbacken 21, 106 91 Stockholm, Sweden
Br J Dermatol 152:868-73. 2005..phaeomelanin...
- p53 expression related to the aggressive infiltrative histopathological feature of basal cell carcinomaSauvarat Auepemkiate
Department of Pathology, Faculty of Medicine, Prince of Songkla University, Songkhla Province, Thailand
Histopathology 40:568-73. 2002..of various malignant tumours may relate to age, sites or the aggressive histopathological feature of the basal cell carcinoma. METHODS ADN RESULTS: One hundred and fifty-eight basal cell carcinoma specimens from Songklanakarind ..
- Clinical characteristics of basal cell carcinoma in a tertiary hospital in Sarawak, MalaysiaFelix Boon Bin Yap
Department of Dermatology, Sarawak General Hospital, Jalan Hospital, Kuching, Sarawak, Malaysia
Int J Dermatol 49:176-9. 2010b>Basal cell carcinoma (BCC) is the most common skin cancer among Orientals...
- Tumor stroma-derived Wnt5a induces differentiation of basal cell carcinoma of Ptch-mutant mice via CaMKIIFrauke Nitzki
Institute of Human Genetics, University of Goettingen, Goettingen, Germany
Cancer Res 70:2739-48. 2010b>Basal cell carcinoma (BCC) is the most common skin tumor in humans. Although BCCs rarely metastasize, they can cause significant morbidity due to local aggressiveness. Approximately 20% of BCCs show signs of spontaneous regression...
- Adenoid cystic/basal cell carcinoma of the prostate: clinicopathologic findings in 19 casesKenneth A Iczkowski
Veterans Affairs Medical Center, and Department of Pathology, Immunology, and Laboratory Medicine, University of Florida, Gainesville, FL 32608 1197, USA
Am J Surg Pathol 27:1523-9. 2003Adenoid cystic/basal cell carcinoma (ACBCC) of the prostate has been considered to have indolent biologic potential. However, outcome data are scant, with only one documented metastasis and death...
- Expression of p53 in aggressive and non-aggressive histologic variants of basal cell carcinomaHabib Ansarin
Department of Dermatology, Hazrat e Rasool University Hospital, Iran University of Medical Sciences, Niyayesh Street, Sattarkhan Avenue, Tehran 14455, Iran
Eur J Dermatol 16:543-7. 2006b>Basal cell carcinoma (BCC) generally has an indolent course but a subgroup of BCCs tends to grow aggressively into deep tissues and even metastasize...
- The role of UV radiation in the development of basal cell carcinomaMirna Situm
Department of Dermatovenerology, University Hospital Sestre Milosrdnice, Zagreb, Croatia
Coll Antropol 32:167-70. 2008b>Basal cell carcinoma (basalioma, BCC) is undoubtedly the most common malignant skin cancer and the most common human malignancy in general, with the continuous increase in its incidence...
- The garlic-derived organosulfur component ajoene decreases basal cell carcinoma tumor size by inducing apoptosisC M L J Tilli
Research Institute Growth and Development GROW, University of Maastricht, The Netherlands
Arch Dermatol Res 295:117-23. 2003..We applied ajoene topically to the tumors of 21 patients with either nodular or superficial basal cell carcinoma (BCC). A reduction in tumor size was seen in 17 patients...
- In vivo thickness measurement of basal cell carcinoma and actinic keratosis with optical coherence tomography and 20-MHz ultrasoundM Mogensen
Department of Dermatology, Faculty of Health Sciences, University of Copenhagen, Roskilde Hospital, Koegevej 7 13, DK 4000 Roskilde, Denmark
Br J Dermatol 160:1026-33. 2009..Accurate assessment of tumour size is important when planning treatment of nonmelanoma skin cancer (NMSC). Imaging with optical coherence tomography (OCT) has the potential to diagnose and measure depth of NMSC...
- Incidence rates of skin cancer in Townsville, AustraliaP G Buettner
School of Public Health and Tropical Medicine, James Cook University, Townsville, Australia
Int J Cancer 78:587-93. 1998..Age-standardized incidence rates of basal cell carcinoma were 2,058.3 for men and 1,194.5 for women, 1,332.3 for men and 754...
- The multicentre south European study 'Helios'. I: Skin characteristics and sunburns in basal cell and squamous cell carcinomas of the skinR Zanetti
, Escuela Andaluza de Salud Publica, Spain
Br J Cancer 73:1440-6. 1996..Controls were stratified according to the age and sex distribution of cases. In all, 1549 cases of basal cell carcinoma (BCC), 228 of squamous cell carcinoma (SCC) and 1795 controls were interviewed...
- Molecular aetiology and pathogenesis of basal cell carcinomaC M L J Tilli
Research Institute of Growth and Development, Department of Dermatology, University of Masstricht, The Netherlands
Br J Dermatol 152:1108-24. 2005..cell biology of the epidermis and its appendages are transforming our understanding of the pathogenesis of basal cell carcinoma (BCC)...
- Detection of residual basal cell carcinoma by in vivo confocal microscopyDiego E Marra
Department of Dermatology, Brigham and Women s Hospital, Harvard Medical School, and Mohs Surgery Center, Dana Farber Cancer Institute, Boston, Massachusetts, USA
Dermatol Surg 31:538-41. 2005Near-infrared reflectance-mode confocal scanning laser microscopy (RCM) represents a novel imaging technique for microscopic analysis of skin lesions and may provide a noninvasive modality for the diagnosis of basal cell carcinoma (BCC).
- Basal cell carcinoma of the prostate: report of a case and review of the published reportsNaoki Segawa
Department of Urology, Osaka Medical College, Osaka, Japan
Int J Urol 15:557-9. 2008Prostatic basal cell carcinoma (BCC), a distinctive variant of adenocarcinoma, is rare. We report a patient with pure basaloid BCC showing an extraprostatic extension and lymph node metastases...
- Cost-effectiveness of Mohs Micrographic Surgery vs Surgical Excision for Basal Cell Carcinoma of the FaceBrigitte A B Essers
Department of Clinical Epidemiology and Medical Technology Assessment, University Hospital Maastricht, The Netherlands
Arch Dermatol 142:187-94. 2006To assess the cost-effectiveness of Mohs micrographic surgery (MMS) compared with the surgical excision for both primary and recurrent basal cell carcinoma (BCC).
- Correlations between the Sonic Hedgehog pathway and basal cell carcinomaOmar Lupi
Universidade Federal do Rio de Janeiro UFRJ and Instituto de Dermatologia Prof Rubem Azulay Santa Casa RJ, Rio de Janeiro, Brazil
Int J Dermatol 46:1113-7. 2007..The Sonic hedgehog (SHH) pathway is implicated in the etiology of the most common human cancer, the basal cell carcinoma (BCC)...
- Evaluation of cosmetic results of a randomized trial comparing surgery and radiotherapy in the treatment of basal cell carcinoma of the faceJ Y Petit
Plastic Surgery Department, European Institute of Oncology, Milan, Italy
Plast Reconstr Surg 105:2544-51. 2000b>Basal cell carcinoma is the most frequent cutaneous carcinoma, and it is characterized by its local spreading and an exceptional tendency to metastasize. Radical excision or destruction ensures the highest chance of cure...
- Extended follow-up of the Finnish cartilage-hair hypoplasia cohort confirms high incidence of non-Hodgkin lymphoma and basal cell carcinomaMervi Taskinen
Hospital for Children and Adolescents, Helsinki University Central Hospital, Helsinki, Finland
Am J Med Genet A 146:2370-5. 2008..Nine of the 14 cancers were diagnosed in patients less than 45 years of age. In addition, ten patients had basal cell carcinoma of the skin (expected number 0.3; SIR 33.2, CI 16-61)...
- Incidence of basal cell carcinoma multiplicity and detailed anatomic distribution: longitudinal study of an Australian populationNaomi M Richmond-Sinclair
Cancer and Population Studies Unit, Queensland Institute of Medical Research, Brisbane, Queensland, Australia
J Invest Dermatol 129:323-8. 2009A proportion of individuals are affected multiple times by basal cell carcinoma (BCC), but the rate and extent to which this occurs is unknown...
- Treatment of basal cell carcinoma with curettage aloneJames O Barlow
Department of Dermatology, Mayo Clinic, Scottsdale, Arizona 85259, USA
J Am Acad Dermatol 54:1039-45. 2006Although curettage and electrodesiccation (C&E) is widely used to treat basal cell carcinoma, whether electrodesiccation improves outcome is unknown.
- Fractionated 5-aminolaevulinic acid-photodynamic therapy vs. surgical excision in the treatment of nodular basal cell carcinoma: results of a randomized controlled trialK Mosterd
Department of Dermatology, University Hospital Maastricht, PO Box 5800, 6202 AZ Masstricht, The Netherlands
Br J Dermatol 159:864-70. 2008..Surgical excision (SE) is the treatment of first choice for nodular basal cell carcinoma (nBCC)...
- Giant exophytic basal cell carcinoma treated with radiotherapyR Rossi
Department of Dermatological Sciences, University of Florence, Italy
J Eur Acad Dermatol Venereol 16:374-6. 2002..The lesion was biopsied and histopathologically diagnosed as a solid type basal cell carcinoma with focal areas of squamous differentiation and keratinization...
- Early detection of chromosome 9q22.32q31.1 microdeletion and the nevoid basal cell carcinoma syndromeThomy J L de Ravel
Centre for Human Genetics, UZ Leuven, Herestraat 49, 3000 Leuven, Belgium
Eur J Med Genet 52:145-7. 2009..review the findings in the reported patients with similar array CGH findings, and highlight the non nevoid basal cell carcinoma/non-Gorlin syndrome findings at an earlier age...
- Incomplete excision of basal cell carcinoma: a prospective multicentre auditP Kumar
University Hospital of South Manchester, Manchester, UK
Br J Plast Surg 55:616-22. 2002The audit of incomplete excision of basal cell carcinoma can be used as a parameter for clinical governance in plastic surgery units...
- alpha vbeta 6 Integrin promotes the invasion of morphoeic basal cell carcinoma through stromal modulationDaniel Marsh
Centre for Tumour Biology, Institute of Cancer, The London School of Medicine and Dentistry, London, United Kingdom
Cancer Res 68:3295-303. 2008b>Basal cell carcinoma (BCC) is the most prevalent cancer in the Western world and its incidence is increasing. The pathogenesis of BCC involves deregulated Sonic hedgehog signaling, leading to activation of the Gli transcription factors...
- No association between OGG1 Ser326Cys and risk of basal cell carcinomaUlla Vogel
National Institute of Occupational Health, Lersø Parkallé 105, DK 2100 Copenhagen, Denmark
Cancer Epidemiol Biomarkers Prev 13:1680-1. 2004
- Pilot study of imiquimod 5% cream as adjunctive therapy to curettage and electrodesiccation for nodular basal cell carcinomaJames M Spencer
Department of Dermatology, Mt Sinai School of Medicine, New York, NY, USA
Dermatol Surg 32:63-9. 2006Curettage and electrodesiccation (C&D) is a widely used method to treat nodular basal cell carcinoma (BCC). However, residual tumor is present immediately after the procedure in approximately 20 to 40% of cases...
- Basal cell carcinoma arising in a patient with vitiligoOfer Arnon
Department of Plastic and Reconstructive Surgery, Soroka University Medical Center, Beer Sheva, Israel
J Drugs Dermatol 7:1075-6. 2008..However, never have these patients been noted to have an increased risk for basal cell carcinoma (BCC). In fact, no case reports of these 2 diseases occurring together exist in the literature...
- Dermoscopic patterns of superficial basal cell carcinomaMassimiliano Scalvenzi
Department of Dermatology, University of Naples Federico II, Naples, Italy
Int J Dermatol 47:1015-8. 2008Superficial basal cell carcinoma (BCC) presents as a scaly, pink to red-brown patch and is predominantly located on the trunk...
- A phase III, randomized, open label study to evaluate the safety and efficacy of imiquimod 5% cream applied thrice weekly for 8 and 12 weeks in the treatment of low-risk nodular basal cell carcinomaThomas K Eigentler
Skin Cancer Program, Department of Dermatology, Eberhard Karls University, Tuebingen, Germany
J Am Acad Dermatol 57:616-21. 2007The present study was planned to evaluate the efficacy and tolerability of topical treatment with imiquimod in nodular basal cell carcinoma (nBCC).
- Reproducibility of skin characteristic measurements and reported sun exposure historyStefano Rosso
CPO Registro Tumori Piemonte, Turin, Italy
Int J Epidemiol 31:439-46. 2002..We also intended to use results from reproducibility analysis for correcting odds ratio (OR) estimates from the original study...
- Basal cell carcinoma: what's new under the sunClio Dessinioti
Department of Dermatology, Andreas Sygros Hospital, University of Athens, Athens, Greece
Photochem Photobiol 86:481-91. 2010b>Basal cell carcinoma (BCC) is the most common skin cancer in white populations with an increasing incidence worldwide, thereby imposing an important public health problem...
- The epidemiology of skin cancerThomas L Diepgen
Department of Clinical Social Medicine and Dermato Epidemiology, University Hospital Heidelberg, Bergheimer Str 58, 69115 Heidelberg, Germany
Br J Dermatol 146:1-6. 2002..According to recent population-based studies from Australia the incidence rate is over 2% for basal cell carcinoma in males and 1% for squamous cell carcinoma, and there are over 50 new cases of melanoma per 100 000.
- MC1R variants associated susceptibility to basal cell carcinoma of skin: interaction with host factors and XRCC3 polymorphismDominique Scherer
Division of Molecular Genetic Epidemiology, German Cancer Research Center, Heidelberg, Germany
Int J Cancer 122:1787-93. 2008..In this study, we genotyped by direct sequencing, 529 cases of basal cell carcinoma of the skin (BCC) and 533 healthy controls for polymorphisms in the entire MC1R gene...
- Differences in the vascular patterns of basal and squamous cell skin carcinomas explain their differences in clinical behaviourCheryl W S Chin
School of Clinical Laboratory Sciences, University Hospital, Queen s Medical Centre, Nottingham NG7 2UH, UK
J Pathol 200:308-13. 2003..Overall, invasive growth correlated with an angiogenic response in the stroma, while metastatic potential correlated with microvessels being present in the body of the tumour...
- Risk and protective factors for sporadic basal cell carcinoma: results of a two-centre case-control study in southern Germany. Clinical actinic elastosis may be a protective factorU Walther
Department of Dermatology, Technical University of Dresden, Dresden, Germany
Br J Dermatol 151:170-8. 2004There are very few data regarding sun exposure behaviour of patients with basal cell carcinoma (BCC) in central Europe.
- CXCR3/ligands are significantly involved in the tumorigenesis of basal cell carcinomasBlanche Ka Ki Lo
Department of Dermatology and Skin Science, University of British Columbia, Vancouver, British Columbia, Canada
Am J Pathol 176:2435-46. 2010b>Basal cell carcinoma (BCC) is the most common skin malignancy encountered worldwide...
- Human papillomavirus infection and incidence of squamous cell and basal cell carcinomas of the skinMargaret R Karagas
Department of Community and Family Medicine, Center for Environmental Health Sciences, Dartmouth Medical School, Lebanon, NH 03756, USA
J Natl Cancer Inst 98:389-95. 2006....
- Sensitivity and specificity of reflectance-mode confocal microscopy for in vivo diagnosis of basal cell carcinoma: a multicenter studySarita Nori
Wellman Laboratories of Photomedicine at Massachusetts General Hospital, Boston, Massachusetts 02114, USA
J Am Acad Dermatol 51:923-30. 2004The current standard diagnostic procedure for basal cell carcinoma (BCC) is histologic examination after invasive biopsy. Reflectance-mode confocal microscopy (RCM) offers noninvasive high-resolution imaging of human skin in vivo.
- Metastatic basal cell carcinoma: report of two cases and literature reviewPatricia T Ting
Faculty of Medicine, University of Calgary, Calgary, Alberta, Canada
J Cutan Med Surg 9:10-5. 2005Metastatic basal cell carcinoma (MBCC) is defined as primary cutaneous basal cell carcinoma (BCC) that spreads to distant sites as histologically similar metastatic deposits of BCC...
- Photodynamic therapy with topical methyl aminolaevulinate for 'difficult-to-treat' basal cell carcinomaC Vinciullo
Fremantle Hospital, Fremantle, Western Australia, Australia
Br J Dermatol 152:765-72. 2005b>Basal cell carcinoma (BCC) may be difficult to treat by conventional means, particularly if the lesions are large or located in the mid-face (H-zone)...
- delta-Aminolevulinic acid and blue light photodynamic therapy for treatment of multiple basal cell carcinomas in two patients with nevoid basal cell carcinoma syndromeAleksandr Itkin
Department of Dermatology, Boston University School of Medicine, Boston, Massachusetts 02118, USA
Dermatol Surg 30:1054-61. 2004Patients with nevoid basal cell carcinoma syndrome suffer from multiple basal cell carcinomas, requiring numerous surgical procedures that over time leave them with multiple disfiguring scars...
- Stromal expression of actin is a marker of aggressiveness in basal cell carcinomaPatrick A Adegboyega
Department of Pathology, Louisiana State University Health Sciences Center, Shreveport, LA 71130, USA
Hum Pathol 41:1128-37. 2010b>Basal cell carcinoma is a very common malignant skin tumor that rarely metastasizes but is often locally aggressive...
- Discriminating basal cell carcinoma from perilesional skin using high wave-number Raman spectroscopyAnnieke Nijssen
Erasmus MC, Center for Optical Diagnostics and Therapy, Department of Dermatology, Rotterdam, The Netherlands
J Biomed Opt 12:034004. 2007..2800 to 3125 cm(-1)) is able to provide sufficient information for noninvasive discrimination between basal cell carcinoma (BCC) and noninvolved skin...
- Expression of CD10 in basal cell carcinomaKazuhiro Yada
Department of Pathology, Faculty of Medicine, Oita University, Oita 879 5593, Japan
Am J Dermatopathol 26:463-71. 2004..CD10 might be an indicator of tumor invasiveness if it is expressed in stromal cells, while it might be a marker of follicular differentiation if it is expressed in the actual tumor cells of cutaneous epithelial neoplasms...
- ASIP and TYR pigmentation variants associate with cutaneous melanoma and basal cell carcinomaDaniel F Gudbjartsson
deCODE Genetics, Sturlugata 8, 101 Reykjavik, Iceland
Nat Genet 40:886-91. 2008Fair color increases risk of cutaneous melanoma (CM) and basal cell carcinoma (BCC). Recent genome-wide association studies have identified variants affecting hair, eye and skin pigmentation in Europeans...
- Surgical margins of excision for basal cell carcinoma and squamous cell carcinomaConway C Huang
University of Alabama at Birmingham, Birmingham, AL, USA
Semin Cutan Med Surg 23:167-73. 2004..Information regarding these factors along with specific recommendations about excisional margins for basal cell and squamous cell carcinomata is presented...
- The prevalence of human papillomavirus genotypes in nonmelanoma skin cancers of nonimmunosuppressed individuals identifies high-risk genital types as possible risk factorsAngelika Iftner
Experimentelle Virologie, Universitatsklinikum Tubingen, Eberhard Karls Universitaet Tuebingen, Elfriede Aulhorn Strasse 6, 72076 Tuebingen, Germany
Cancer Res 63:7515-9. 2003..of warts (n = 209), solar keratosis or Bowen's disease (n = 91), squamous cell carcinoma (n = 72), or basal cell carcinoma (n = 18), as well as 106 control patients with normal skin was analyzed for infection with HPV and, if ..
- Dendritic cells in pigmented basal cell carcinoma: a relevant finding by reflectance-mode confocal microscopySonia Segura
Department of Dermatology, Hospital Clinic Barcelona, Villarroel 170, 08036 Barcelona, Spain
Arch Dermatol 143:883-6. 2007..A few studies of RCM on basal cell carcinoma (BCC) have provided specific diagnostic criteria, but large studies on pigmented basal cell carcinoma are ..
- Long-term establishment, characterization and manipulation of cell lines from mouse basal cell carcinoma tumorsPo Lin So
Department of Dermatology, University of California, San Francisco, 94110, USA
Exp Dermatol 15:742-50. 2006There have been few reports of successful long-term culture of cells established from cutaneous basal cell carcinoma (BCC) tumors...
- UV-induced and NOS-mediated Zn elevation, translation regulation and apoptosisShiyong Wu; Fiscal Year: 2012..clear that UV-damaged skin has an increased chance of developing one of the forms of skin cancer, including basal cell carcinoma, squamous cell carcinoma and cutaneous malignant melanoma...
- Developing a murine model for arsenic-induced skin neoplasmMohammad Athar; Fiscal Year: 2010..Originally described in patients with the nevoid basal cell carcinoma syndrome (NBCCS), mutations in sonic hedgehog (shh) signaling genes including patched (ptch), and ..
- Intra-operative confocal imaging to guide Mohs surgeryMilind Rajadhyaksha; Fiscal Year: 2012..clinical instrument for intra-operative imaging during Mohs surgery, and to test feasibility for detecting basal cell carcinoma (BCC) and squamous cell carcinoma (SCC) margins on patients, using aluminum chloride as a contrast agent ..
- CHEMOPREVENTION OF SKIN CANCER PROGRAM PROJECTGeorge Timothy Bowden; Fiscal Year: 2013..More than 1 million cases of non-melanoma skin cancer (NMSC) (basal cell carcinoma [BCC] and squamous cell cancers [SCC]) occur annually...
- Development of a nanosecond pulsed electric field system to treat skin cancerRICHARD LEE NUCCITELLI; Fiscal Year: 2011..We have used the PulseCure to treat malignant melanoma and basal cell carcinoma in mice with very high efficacy...
- Reversible phosphorylation in Hedgehog signalingALAN ZHU; Fiscal Year: 2013..restraints in Hh mitogenic activity has been associated with up to 25% of tumors in humans, including basal cell carcinoma and medulloblastoma...
- A high-throughput screen for small-molecule antagonists of Gli functionJames K Chen; Fiscal Year: 2012..that inhibit Smo have demonstrated efficacy in mouse models of Hh pathway-dependent tumors, such as basal cell carcinoma, medulloblastoma, pancreatic adenocarcinoma, and prostate cancer...
- A Study of Biological Function of BasonuclinGeorge Cotsarelis; Fiscal Year: 2010..BNC1 is up-regulated in basal cell carcinoma (BCC)...
- Role of DeltaNp63alpha in Vitamin D Mediated Cell Survival in Skin CancerMadhavi P Kadakia; Fiscal Year: 2013..The rise in the incidence of non-melanoma skin cancers (NMSCs), namely Basal cell carcinoma (BCC) and Squamous cell carcinoma (SCC), and growing cost of treatment warrants research into the basic ..
- Chemoprevention of basal cell carcinoma with vitamin DJean Y Tang; Fiscal Year: 2012..herself as a young investigator in patient-oriented, translational research in the prevention of basal cell carcinoma (BCC). This K23 award will provide Dr...
- Automatic Detection of Critical Dermoscopy Features for Basal Cell CarcinomaWilliam V Stoecker; Fiscal Year: 2010..Phase I research addresses the steps needed to develop the SkinScan automatic detection modules for basal cell carcinoma. The BASAL features, first described by Stoecker and Stolz, will be programmed during Phase I and ..
- DNA-binding polyamides as Hedgehog inhibitors in human carcinomaAmanda E Hargrove; Fiscal Year: 2012..their target genes, as well as their ability to bind to chromatin- bound DNA, in healthy cells as well as basal cell carcinoma and prostate cancer cell models...
- Epidemiology, genetics, and behaviors in a study of basal cell carcinomaLEAH MCARTHUR FERRUCCI; Fiscal Year: 2012....
- Regulation of Quiescence and Activation in Skin Stem CellsYa Chieh Hsu; Fiscal Year: 2013..On the contrary, skin tumors, such as basal cell carcinoma and squamous cell carcinoma, can derive from HFSC hyper-proliferation...
- Planar Cell Polarity Signaling in Hair Follicle FormationJiang Chen; Fiscal Year: 2013..not only important for the development of the hair follicle, they are also implicated in the development of basal cell carcinoma (BCC)...
- HAIR FOLLICLE BULGE CELLS IN TUMORIGENESIS AND ALOPECIAGeorge Cotsarelis; Fiscal Year: 2009..Patients with alopecia, hair shaft disorders, basal cell carcinoma, hair follicle tumors, or chronic wounds could potentially benefit from this research.
- Allelic imbalance mapping to uncover cSCC susceptibility allelesAmanda Ewart Toland; Fiscal Year: 2013DESCRIPTION (provided by applicant): Summary Non-melanoma skin cancer, which includes basal cell carcinoma and squamous cell carcinoma (SCC), is the most common malignancy in the Western world...
- Epidemiology and Genetics of Tanning AddictionBrenda Cartmel; Fiscal Year: 2012..behaviors and attitudes towards tanning within our large case-control study on early onset (aged under 40) basal cell carcinoma (BCC), and have DNA samples, we have a unique opportunity to cost-effectively evaluate this newer ..
- MIM regulates Shh target gene expression in tumorsSCOTT ATWOOD; Fiscal Year: 2011..of 25% of human cancers including lung, breast, prostate, pancreatic, as well as medulloblastoma and basal cell carcinoma. While the Gli family of transcription factors mediates the transcriptional effects of Shh, the mechanism ..
- Hedgehog Pathway Blockade by Small-Molecule Gli AntagonistsJames K Chen; Fiscal Year: 2013..that inhibit Smo have demonstrated efficacy in mouse models of Hh pathway-dependent tumors, including basal cell carcinoma, medulloblastoma, pancreatic adenocarcinoma, and prostate cancer...
- Keratins as novel determinants of tumor biologyPIERRE COULOMBE; Fiscal Year: 2013..point to a significant modulatory role for two partner keratin proteins, keratin 17 and keratin 5, in basal cell carcinoma and related basaloid skin tumors...
- Regulation of Hedgehog signaling at the level of GliJing Yang; Fiscal Year: 2013..of Hh signaling has severe consequences in humans, ranging from birth defects to the development of basal cell carcinoma, medulloblastoma, and many other tumors...
- Hedgehog Signal Transduction Across the Cell MembraneLawrence Lum; Fiscal Year: 2010..with developmental deformities of the face and forebrain, and prevalent cancers such as prostate cancer and basal cell carcinoma (BCC)...
- The Regulation of Smoothened in Hedgehog SignalingJianhang Jia; Fiscal Year: 2012..HEALTH RELEVANCE Abnormal Smoothened (Smo) activation results cancers such as basal cell carcinoma (BCC) and medulloblastoma...
- Carotenoids as protectors against UVB induced cutaneous damage.Tatiana M Oberyszyn; Fiscal Year: 2013..that there are gender differences in the development of NMSC, with men being twice as likely to develop Basal Cell Carcinoma (BCC)and three times as likely to develop squamous cell carcinoma (SCC) as women...
- Gli Activity in the Pancreas: Inflammation, Tissue Repair and CancerMarina Pasca di Magliano; Fiscal Year: 2013..attractive therapeutic target and new inhibitors of the pathway are currently been tested in the clinic for Basal Cell carcinoma and medulloblastoma...
- Dissecting the Signaling Mechanisms of SmoothenedSTACEY KATHRYN OGDEN; Fiscal Year: 2013..Inappropriate Hh signaling is causative in basal cell carcinoma, the most common cancer in humans, medulloblastoma, the most common malignant brain tumor in children, and ..
- Vitamin D3 Inhibition of Hedgehog Signaling and Cancer ChemopreventionERVIN HAROLD EPSTEIN; Fiscal Year: 2013..studies will provide data making a compelling case for the conducting of a formal human trial of the anti-basal cell carcinoma chemopreventive efficacy of topical vitamin D3 and will form the foundation and template for extending ..
- Population-Based Approach to Skin Cancer EpidemiologyAbrar A Qureshi; Fiscal Year: 2010..However, sun exposure risk estimates for melanoma, squamous cell carcinoma and basal cell carcinoma vary widely...
- A novel high content screen for regulators of ciliogenesis and Hedgehog signalingJEREMY F contact REITER; Fiscal Year: 2010..All Hedgehog signaling relies on the proto-oncogene Smoothened, mutations in which can cause basal cell carcinoma, the most common cancer in North America, and medulloblastoma, the most common solid cancer among children...
- Genetic Variants in MicroRNA-Related Genes and Skin Cancer RiskHongmei Nan; Fiscal Year: 2010..of genetic variants in microRNA-related genes with the risk of melanoma, squamous cell carcinoma (SCC), and basal cell carcinoma (BCC) simultaneously in a nested case-control study within the Nurses Health Study (219 melanoma cases, 286 ..
- Non-Melanoma Skin Cancer in New HampshireMARGARET RITA KARAGAS; Fiscal Year: 2013..b>Basal cell carcinoma (BCC) and squamous cell skin carcinoma (SCC), collectively termed non- melanoma skin cancer (NMSC), ..
- Genetic Variants in Mitochondrial Genome and Skin Cancer RiskHongmei Nan; Fiscal Year: 2010..and haplogroups in the mitochondrial genome with the risks of melanoma, squamous cell carcinoma (SCC), and basal cell carcinoma (BCC) simultaneously in a nested case-control study within the Nurses Health Study (400 melanoma cases, 600 ..
- Prediction Model for Radiation Sensitivity in Children with CancerSTELLA MARGARET DAVIES; Fiscal Year: 2010..the Childhood Cancer Survivor Study (CCSS) have shown that the most frequent second malignant neoplasm is basal cell carcinoma (BCC), and that the most significant risk factor for BCC is exposure to therapeutic radiation...
- REGULATION OF CNS AND LIMB POLARITY BY SONIC HEDGEHOGAndrew P McMahon; Fiscal Year: 2011..activation of Shh signaling has been linked to the development of several types of tumor, most notably basal cell carcinoma (BCC) (the most common form of skin cancer), medulloblastoma (the most common brain tumor of children) and ..
- MOLECULAR BASIS OF EPITHELIAL SKIN CANCERAndrzej A Dlugosz; Fiscal Year: 2013..Our previous studies have been focused on basal cell carcinoma, a common skin tumor, and several other cancers associated with deregulated Hedgehog signaling...
- Optical Dosimetry for Clinical Trials of Pc 4 Photodynamic TherapyTHOMAS HARRISON FOSTER; Fiscal Year: 2010..therapy (PDT) that is now in Phase clinical trials for the treatment of cutaneous T cell lymphoma (CTCL), basal cell carcinoma (BCC) and cutaneous metastases...
- Hippo signaling and the control of epidermal development and growthFernando Camargo; Fiscal Year: 2013..explore a previously under-appreciated relationship between Hippo and Hedgehog signaling during epidermal basal cell carcinoma growth...
- Hedgehog signaling at the cell's antenna: Smoothened and the primary ciliumJeremy F Reiter; Fiscal Year: 2013..ranging from Drosophila to mice relies on the proto-oncogene Smoothened, mutations in which can cause basal cell carcinoma, the most common cancer in North America, and medulloblastoma, the most common solid cancer among children...
- Cancer Associated Fibroblasts and Basal Cell Carcinoma AllograftsYing Wang; Fiscal Year: 2013..Additionally, we will use BCC as a model system to elucidate the basic mechanisms of HH signaling, which holds great promises of developing better strategies to detect, treat and even prevent cancers in general. ..
- STROMAL REGULATION OF BASAL CELL CARCINOMA FORMATIONAnthony E Oro; Fiscal Year: 2013....
- Genes affected by concentration and temporal differences in Shh exposureJenna L Galloway; Fiscal Year: 2010..contexts, and inappropriate activation of the Shh pathway is well documented in human cancers such as basal cell carcinoma (BCC)...
- Novel Hedgehog Receptors As Therapeutic Targets In Pancreatic CancerMarina Pasca di Magliano; Fiscal Year: 2013..numerous developmental diseases and plays a pivotal role in the pathogenesis of several cancers, including basal cell carcinoma, rhabdomyosarcoma, and medulloblastoma...
- Characterizing the Cells of Origin for Basal Cell CarcinomaSunny Wong; Fiscal Year: 2013As the most frequently diagnosed cancer in North America, basal cell carcinoma (BCC) affects nearly a million new patients each year...
- MONOCLONAL ANTIBODIES TO HUMAN EPIDERMISLowell Goldsmith; Fiscal Year: 1980..The epidermal cells used as antigens will be from normal epidermis, epidermal tumors including basal cell carcinoma, squamous cell carcinoma and keratoacanthoma; epidermis from patients with psoriasis, various forms of ..
- 2-photon microscopeStuart Kim; Fiscal Year: 2009..Kim);2) angiogenesis and anti-angiogenic therapy of cancer (mice, zebra fish, Kuo);3) pathogenesis of basal cell carcinoma of the skin (Drosophila, Oro);4) molecular mechanisms of viral replication, assembly and egress from ..
- ALTERED GENE EXPRESSION IN OCULAR CICATRICIAL PEMPHIGOIDMELVIN ROAT; Fiscal Year: 1990..by abnormal fibrosis such as scleroderma, keloid, progressive nodular fibrosis of the skin and sclerosing basal cell carcinoma, increased expression of collagen genes by fibroblasts has been found...
- Matrix Protein in Human Epidermal NeoplasiaRobin Kimmel; Fiscal Year: 2006..S., basal cell carcinoma and squamous cell carcinoma (SCC)...
- SUNNY DAYS HEALTHY WAYS GRADES 6-8 SUN SAFETY CURRICULUMDavid Buller; Fiscal Year: 2002..the risk of skin cancer since severe childhood sunburns and intermittent exposure may promote melanoma and basal cell carcinoma and lifetime sun exposure (most occurs in childhood) is associated with squamous cell carcinoma...
- UV-induced and NOS-mediated Zn elevation, translation regulatin and apoptosis.Shiyong Wu; Fiscal Year: 2007..clear that UV-damaged skin has an increased chance of developing one of the forms of skin cancer, including basal cell carcinoma, squamous cell carcinoma and cutaneous malignant melanoma...
- Flexible Ribbon Guide - In-Vivo & Hand-Held THz ImagingPETER SIEGEL; Fiscal Year: 2006..Terahertz studies on basal cell carcinoma, both in-vivo and ex-vivo, are very promising but the instrumentation employed is limited to fixed-position ..
- Organ Culture of Basal Cell CarcinomaJames Elder; Fiscal Year: 2002Hedgehog (Hh) signaling is implicated not only in the development of basal cell carcinoma (BCC), but also in epithelial-mesenchymal interactions critical to hair follicle development and cycling, However, the more distal downstream ..
- Narrowband Terahertz ImagerWAYNE KIMURA; Fiscal Year: 2009..are proposing to focus on one specific, highly promising application - an imaging system for detection of basal cell carcinoma (BCC)...
- ENVIRONMENT & GLI GENES IN NORMAL DEVELOPMENT & DISEASEPhilip Iannaccone; Fiscal Year: 2004..For example, basal cell carcinoma (BCC) is the most common cancer in man and mutations in Patched or over-expression of GLI are both strongly ..
- VALIDATION OF TRANSILLUMINATION AND THE NEVOSCOPENizar Mullani; Fiscal Year: 2004..the Nevoscope and has the potential for improving the early detection of skin cancers such as melanoma and basal cell carcinoma. The goal of this research project is to validate the use of side-transillumination for the detection of ..
- MOLECULAR MECHANISMS OF HEDGEHOG SIGNALINGElizabeth Sztul; Fiscal Year: 2003..Mutations in a human homolog of ptc, PTCH1 lead to the very common skin tumor, basal cell carcinoma, and to the brain tumor, medulloblastoma...
- TOPICAL DELIVERY OF AMINOLEVULINIC ACID IN PDT FOR BASALKenneth Norbury; Fiscal Year: 2000b>Basal cell carcinoma (BCC) is the dominant form of non-melanoma skin cancer, accounting for more than 90% of all skin cancers in the U.S...
- SONIC HEDGEHOG/PTCH PATHWAY IN PNETCorey Raffel; Fiscal Year: 2000..Mutation of the PTCH gene has been shown to cause the nevoid basal cell carcinoma syndrome, one of the few inherited syndromes with which PNET are associated, suggesting that PTCH may ..
- ROLE OF GLIL IN BASAL CELL CARCINOMA DEVELOPMENTAriel Ruiz i Altaba; Fiscal Year: 2002..In addition, understanding how deregulation of the Shh signaling pathway and Gli1 function lead to BCC formation, will shed light into the normal role of this gene in follicle development. ..
- MOLECULAR MECHANISMS OF HEDGEHOG RECEPTOR FUNCTIONPhilip Beachy; Fiscal Year: 2004..b>Basal cell carcinoma (BCC) is the most common form of cancer in Caucasians with 750,000 cases treated annually in the United ..
- Detection of Novel Gene Defects in Basal Cell CarcinomaSteven Fakharzadeh; Fiscal Year: 2005Much of what is known about the genetic basis of basal cell carcinoma (BCC) derives from studies of patients with Gorlin syndrome, an autosomal dominant disorder caused by germline mutations in the PTCH gene...
- Development of an electrical diagnostic for melanomaRichard Nuccitelli; Fiscal Year: 2006..If lesions such as melanoma or basal cell carcinoma reduce the resistance across the epidermis, we would expect to detect lateral electric fields near these ..