Genomes and Genes
Summary: A tumor composed of cells resembling those of the hair matrix, which undergo 'mummification' and may calcify. It is a relatively uncommon tumor, which may occur at any age from infancy. The majority of patients are under 20, and females are affected more than males. The lesion is usually a solitary deep dermal or subcutaneous tumor 3-30 mm in diameter, situated in the head, neck, or upper extremity. (From Rook et al., Textbook of Dermatology, 4th ed, p2401)
Publications176 found, 100 shown here
- Fine-needle aspiration features of pilomatrixomaM M Lemos
Department of Pathology, Gothenburg University Musculoskeletal Tumor Center, Sahlgrenska University Hospital, Gothenburg, Sweden
Cancer 93:252-6. 2001BACKGROUND: Pilomatrixoma (PMX) is a benign skin neoplasm of hair matrix origin. The fine-needle aspiration (FNA) features of PMX frequently lead to a misdiagnosis of carcinoma...
- Pilomatrixoma: clinicopathologic study of 51 cases with emphasis on cytologic featuresJun Wang
Department of Pathology, Harbor UCLA Medical Center, University of California Los Angeles, School of Medicine, Torrance, California, USA
Diagn Cytopathol 27:167-72. 2002The clinical and pathologic features of 51 cases of pilomatrixoma found in our archives from 1990-1999 were reviewed, with emphasis on the cytopathologic features of the 22 cases that were sampled by fine-needle aspiration (FNA) biopsy ..
- Basal cell carcinoma with matrical differentiation: a case study with analysis of beta-cateninHenry D Haskell
Department of Pathology, Division of Dermatopathology, Brigham and Women s Hospital and Harvard Medical School, Boston, MA, USA
J Cutan Pathol 32:245-50. 2005..These cases often present a diagnostic challenge due to confusion with pilomatrixoma or pilomatrix carcinoma. We present a case of BCC with matrical differentiation in a 78-year-old man...
- Micro-Raman spectroscopy used to identify and grade human skin pilomatrixomaWen Ting Cheng
Department of Medical Research and Education, Taipei Veterans General Hospital, Taiwan, Republic of China
Microsc Res Tech 68:75-9. 2005..applied to analyze the changes in structural conformation and chemical composition of the mass of human skin pilomatrixoma (PMX). The normal skin dermis, collagen type I, and hydroxyapatite (HA) were used as control...
- Pilomatricoma of the head and neck: a retrospective review of 179 casesMing Ying Lan
Department of Otolaryngology, Taipei Veterans General Hospital, 201 Shih Pai Road, sector 2, Taipei 112, Taiwan
Arch Otolaryngol Head Neck Surg 129:1327-30. 2003To describe the clinical presentations and management of pilomatricoma, formerly known as pilomatrixoma, of the head and neck.
- Pilomatrixoma: a review of 346 casesAshkan Pirouzmanesh
Division of Plastic and Reconstructive Surgery, Children s Hospital, Los Angeles, CA 90027, USA
Plast Reconstr Surg 112:1784-9. 2003b>Pilomatrixoma, also known as calcifying epithelioma of Malherbe, is a benign skin neoplasm that arises from hair follicle matrix cells...
- Pilomatrixoma of the head and neckChih Chieh Chuang
Division of Otolaryngology, Taipei Municipal Yang Ming Hospital, Taipei, Taiwan, ROC
J Chin Med Assoc 67:633-6. 2004b>Pilomatrixoma is a benign skin appendage tumor that commonly occurs as a solitary lesion and is not usually hereditary...
- Pilomatrixoma: a potential diagnostic pitfall in aspiration cytologyS Singh
Cytopathology 18:260-2. 2007
- Head and neck pilomatrixoma in childrenA Danielson-Cohen
Department of Otolaryngology--Head and Neck Surgery, University of Illinois Hospital at Chicago, USA
Arch Otolaryngol Head Neck Surg 127:1481-3. 2001..provide a review of the current information on the etiology, clinical presentation, management, and outcome of pilomatrixoma of the head and neck in children. DESIGN: Retrospective review. SETTING: A tertiary care pediatric center...
- Pilomatrixoma: a diagnostic pitfall in fine-needle aspiration biopsies. A review from a small county hospitalLuciano B Lemos
Department of Pathology and Surgery Head and Neck, University of Texas Healthcare Center, Houston Medical School, Lyndon B Johnson General Hospital, Houston, TX, USA
Ann Diagn Pathol 8:130-6. 2004..The FNA smears were reviewed and the diagnosis of a pilomatrixoma (PMT) was reached. The lesion was excised and the diagnosis of benign PMT confirmed...
- Pilomatrixoma as a diagnostic pitfall in fine needle aspiration cytology: a case reportSivaselvam Sivakumar
Department of Pathology, Advanced Medical and Dental Institute, Universiti Sains Malaysia, Pulau Pinang, Pinang 13200, Malaysia
Acta Cytol 51:583-5. 2007b>Pilomatrixoma (pilomatrixoma, calcifying epithelioma of Malherbe) is a relatively uncommon, benign neoplasm arising from the skin adnexa. The tumor can cause diagnostic difficulty not only for the clinician but also for the cytologist.
- Pilomatrixoma--accuracy of clinical diagnosisN Kumaran
Department of Paediatric Surgery, Yorkhill Royal Hospital for Sick Children, G3 8SJ Glasgow, UK
J Pediatr Surg 41:1755-8. 2006b>Pilomatrixoma is a common tumor of skin appendages in children. The aim of the study was to assess the accuracy of clinical diagnosis and factors contributing to misdiagnosis.
- Malignant pilomatrixoma with multiple local recurrences and distant metastases: a case report and review of the literatureN G Mikhaeel
The Meyerstein Institute of Oncology, UCLH, London, UK
Clin Oncol (R Coll Radiol) 13:386-9. 2001Malignant pilomatrixoma is a rare malignant tumour of the hair matrix, which was first described in 1980. Only five patients with distant metastases have been reported...
- Eyelid pilomatricomas in young adults: a report of 8 casesEnrique Mencía-Gutiérrez
Department of Ophthalmology, 12 Octubre Hostpital, Complutense University, Madrid, Spain
Cutis 69:23-6. 2002..These lesions are frequently misdiagnosed when evaluation is based on clinical evidence alone: only 4 of our cases were correctly diagnosed prior to excisional biopsy...
- Concurrent pilomatrix carcinoma and giant pilomatrixomaM R Khammash
Department of Surgery, Faculty of Medicine, Jordan University of Science and Technology, Irbid, Jordan
Australas J Dermatol 42:120-3. 2001..of the large thigh lesion showed pilomatrix carcinoma while that of the smaller knee lesion was typical of pilomatrixoma. The pilomatrix carcinoma was widely excised and there has been no evidence of recurrence or metastasis after ..
- Pilomatrixoma breast mimicking carcinomaMujahid Zulfiqar Ali
Department of Surgery, Mst 5, Mountain Field Ambulance, Azad Kashmir CMH, Hyderabad
J Coll Physicians Surg Pak 15:248-9. 2005..Histopathology of the resected specimen revealed pilomatrixoma.
- Pilomatrixoma of the face: a benign skin appendage mimicking squamous cell carcinomaRyan M Greene
Departments of Otolaryngology Head and Neck Surgery and Pathology, University of Texas Health Science Center, San Antonio, Texas 78229 3900, USA
Otolaryngol Head Neck Surg 130:483-5. 2004
- Pilomatrixoma in the parotid regionK K Phyu
Department of Otolaryngology-Head and Neck Surgery, University Hospital, Queens Medical Centre, Nottingham, UK
J Laryngol Otol 115:1026-8. 2001b>Pilomatrixoma is a benign neoplasm of the hair follicle that may present to the otolaryngologist as a palpable swelling in the head and neck area...
- Giant pilomatrixoma (benign calcifying epithelioma of Malherbe) of the neck and faceMarijan Kovacic
Department of Otorhinolaryngology, General Hospital Zadar, Zadar, Croatia
Dermatol Surg 33:340-3. 2007
- Pilomatrixoma of the ear helixDaniel I Nassie
Department of Otorhinolaryngology and Head and Neck Surgery, Sheba Medical Center, Tel Hashomer, Israel
Isr Med Assoc J 9:763-4. 2007
- Expression of hard alpha-keratins in pilomatrixoma, craniopharyngioma, and calcifying odontogenic cystKaoru Kusama
Department of Oral Pathology, Meikai University School of Dentistry, Saitama, Japan
Am J Clin Pathol 123:376-81. 2005..raised against human hair proteins and their immunoreactivity was examined in tumors expressing those cells: pilomatrixoma, 14 cases; craniopharyngioma, 17 cases; and calcifying odontogenic cyst (COC), 14 cases...
- Fine-needle aspiration cytology of pilomatrixoma of the arm and the role of cell block examination in the diagnosisRaj K Gupta
Diagn Cytopathol 32:61-2. 2005
- [Pilomatrixoma: ultrasound diagnosis]Carolina Whittle
Servicios de Ecotomografía y Dermatología, Clinica Alemana de Santiago, Hospital Dr Luis Calvo Mackenna, Santiago de Chile
Rev Med Chil 131:735-40. 2003b>Pilomatrixoma is a benign tumor of the skin, preferentially found in children. The final diagnosis is made by biopsy. High resolution ultrasound (US) is a non invasive method for its diagnosis.
- Pilomatrixoma. Review of 205 casesRosa Guinot-Moya
Barcelona University Dental School, Spain
Med Oral Patol Oral Cir Bucal 16:e552-5. 2011To determine the incidence and clinical features of patients diagnosed with pilomatrixoma.
- Fine needle aspiration cytology of pilomatrixoma and differential diagnosesMichelle Dubb
Cytology Unit, Department of Anatomical Pathology, University of the Witwatersrand and National Health Laboratory Service, Johannesburg, South Africa
Acta Cytol 53:683-8. 2009To review the cytologic features of pilomatrixoma to allow a definitive diagnosis at the time of aspiration and correct patient management.
- Aggressive pilomatrixoma of the infra-auricular area: a case reportSven Saussez
Department of Otolaryngology Head and Neck Surgery, CHU Saint Pierre, Universite Libre de Bruxelles, Brussels, Belgium
Auris Nasus Larynx 32:407-10. 2005..Aggressive pilomatrixoma is a benign tumor of the hair matrix cells affecting mainly children...
- Multiple familial pilomatricomas: a cutaneous marker for Gardner syndrome?R M Pujol
Department of Dermatology, Hospital de la Santa Creu i Sant Pau, Barcelona, Spain
Pediatr Dermatol 12:331-5. 1995..Possibly, multiple familial pilomatricomas could be considered a cutaneous marker of Gardner syndrome...
- Use of ultrasonography in the diagnosis of childhood pilomatrixomaJ Hughes
Department of Dermatology, Hillingdon Hospital, Uxbridge, Middlesex, United Kingdom
Pediatr Dermatol 16:341-4. 1999..In the majority of patients, sonography either correctly supported or excluded the clinical diagnosis of pilomatrixoma and contributed to appropriate preoperative assessment and subsequent management of the lesion...
- Multiple pilomatricomas: cutaneous marker for myotonic dystrophyQuyn J Sherrod
Dermatol Online J 14:22. 2008..The resulting gene product activates transcription leading to tumorigenesis . Since the onset of MPs may precede the signs of myotonic dystrophy, they can serve as potential early cutaneous markers for this systemic disease...
- Clinicopathological study of pilomatricomaA H Darwish
Department of Pathology and Surgery, BDF Hospital, Bahrain
Saudi Med J 22:268-71. 2001..They should be considered along with other benign and malignant conditions in the clinical differential diagnosis of solitary firm skin nodules especially those, which occur in the head, neck and upper limb...
- Pilomatrixoma in an infant: diagnostic challenges of fine-needle aspirationKanyalakshmi Ayyanar
Department of Pediatric Hematology Oncology, University of Louisville, Kosair Children s Hospital, Louisville, KY 40202, USA
J Pediatr Hematol Oncol 30:625-7. 2008....
- A case of perforating pilomatricomaHarun Ciralik
Department of Pathology, Kahramanmaras Sutcu Imam University, Faculty of Medicine, Kahramanmaras, Turkey
J Dermatol 33:394-8. 2006..If total excision is not the method of choice, multiple punch biopsies should be made from different areas in large skin tumors for correct diagnosis...
- Perforating pilomatricoma on the upper eyelidKatsunori Niitsuma
Division of Plastic Surgery, Nara Medical University, Kashihara, Japan
J Craniofac Surg 17:372-3. 2006..These findings are consistent with the diagnosis of perforating pilomatricoma...
- Basal cell carcinoma and pilomatrixoma mirror human follicular embryogenesis as reflected by their differential expression patterns of SOX9 and β-cateninD Krahl
Institut für Dermatohistologie, Heidelberg, Germany
Br J Dermatol 162:1294-301. 2010....
- beta-Catenin expression in the transitional cell zone of pilomatricomaS W Park
Department of Dermatology, Pusan Paik Foundation Hospital, Inje University Medical College, 633 165 Kaekum Dong, Pusanjin Ku, Pusan 614 735, Korea
Br J Dermatol 145:624-9. 2001..However, the pattern of beta-catenin expression in pilomatricoma tissues is still unclear. Objectives To examine the expression of beta-catenin in human pilomatricomas by immunohistochemical staining...
- Multiple pilomatricomas in Rubinstein-Taybi syndrome: a case reportS Cambiaghi
1st Dept. of Dermatology and Pediatric Dermatology, IRCCS-University of Milan, Italy
Pediatr Dermatol 11:21-5. 1994..Possibilities to explain the association include contiguous gene syndrome, the action of a pleiotropic gene, predisposition to malformations, and mere coincidence...
- [Pilomatrix carcinoma: histologic and immunohistochemical features. Two studies]Thomas Petit
Service d Anatomie Pathologique, Hopital Bichat Claude Bernard, Paris
Ann Pathol 23:50-4. 2003..No feature is specific to confirm wether a malignant pilomatricoma arises de novo, or whether it is a malignant transformation of a pre-existing benign pilomatricoma...
- Pilomatrixoma of the head and neck in childrenR P Agarwal
Division of Pediatric Otolaryngology and Department of Pathology, The Children's Hospital of Philadelphia, PA 19104, USA
Otolaryngol Head Neck Surg 125:510-5. 2001..STUDY DESIGN: A retrospective chart review was performed of all patients with histologically confirmed pilomatrixoma of the head and neck excised during a 6-year period (1992-1997) at the Children's Hospital of Philadelphia...
- A 12-year-old girl with an enlarging nontender nodule on the armAnnette M Wagner
Children s Memorial Medical Center, Northwestern University Feinberg School of Medicine, Chicago, IL 60614, USA
Pediatr Ann 35:445-7. 2006
- Pilomatricomas in children: imaging characteristics with pathologic correlationHyun Wook Lim
Department of Radiology, Kangnam St Mary s Hospital, The Catholic University of Korea, 505 Banpo Dong, Seocho Gu, Seoul 137 701, South Korea
Pediatr Radiol 37:549-55. 2007..Although pilomatricoma commonly occurs in children, there is still a poor understanding of the imaging characteristics of pilomatricoma and lack of agreement regarding its imaging findings and histopathologic features...
- Aberrantly differentiated cells in benign pilomatrixoma reflect the normal hair follicle: immunohistochemical analysis of Ca-binding S100A2, S100A3 and S100A6 proteinsK Kizawa
Basic Research Laboratory, Kanebo Cosmetics Inc, Kotobuki cho, Odawara, Japan
Br J Dermatol 152:314-20. 2005b>Pilomatrixoma is a common benign cutaneous tumour containing differentiated hair matrix cells. This tumour is mainly composed of basophilic, transitional, shadow and squamoid cells...
- Cytokeratin profile in basal cell carcinomaElvio Alessi
Institute of Dermatological Sciences, University of Milan, Fondazione IRCCS Ospedale Maggiore Policlinico, Mangiagalli e Regina Elena, Milan, Italy
Am J Dermatopathol 30:249-55. 2008..No significant difference in the CK profile among the BCC subtypes studied was found...
- Expression of CD10 in basal cell carcinomaKazuhiro Yada
Department of Pathology, Faculty of Medicine, Oita University, Oita 879 5593, Japan
Am J Dermatopathol 26:463-71. 2004..CD10 might be an indicator of tumor invasiveness if it is expressed in stromal cells, while it might be a marker of follicular differentiation if it is expressed in the actual tumor cells of cutaneous epithelial neoplasms...
- Pilomatrix carcinomas contain mutations in CTNNB1, the gene encoding beta-cateninAlexander J F Lazar
Department of Pathology, Division of Dermatopathology, Brigham and Women s Hospital, Boston, MA, USA
J Cutan Pathol 32:148-57. 2005..This implies a common initial pathogenesis and is compatible with the proposition that pilomatrix carcinomas may at least on occasion arise from their benign counterparts...
- Giant pilomatricomaGian Piero Lozzi
Department of Dermatology, University of L Aquila, L Aquila, Italy
Am J Dermatopathol 29:286-9. 2007..Our report highlights an unusual clinical appearance of pilomatricoma that made us consider a variety of primary or secondary cutaneous neoplasms in its differential diagnosis...
- Multiple giant pilomatricoma in familial Sotos syndromeYolanda Gilaberte
Department of Dermatology, Hospital San Jorge, Huesca, Spain
Pediatr Dermatol 25:122-5. 2008..We report a 9-year-old boy, diagnosed with familial Sotos syndrome, who had two pilomatrixoma, symmetrically located on both sides of the neck, measuring 4 cm in diameter...
- Nanobacteria and calcinosis cutisMichael B Morgan
Department of Pathology, James Haley Veteran s Hospital, and University of South Florida College of Medicine, Tampa, FL, USA
J Cutan Pathol 29:173-5. 2002..The pathogenesis of calcinosis cutis and its significance in conjunction with a variety of unrelated scarring and pre-existing cutaneous entities are incompletely understood...
- Multinodular pilomatrixomaRaquel S Simon
Department of Dermatology, Investigation Unit of the Hospital Clínico San Carlos, Facultad de Medicina, Universidad Complutense, Madrid, Spain
Dermatology 204:80-1. 2002..showed a multinodular cyst-like proliferation, each nodule showing the typical structure and cytology of pilomatrixoma. A comparison is made between this case and the budding phenomenon that has been described in isthmus-catagen (..
- Multiple pilomatricomas in association with spina bifidaJosie Amley Pielop
Pediatr Dermatol 22:178-9. 2005
- Papillary endothelial hyperplasia and dilated lymphatic vessels in bullous pilomatricomaLi Min Lao
Departments of Dermatology, Affiliated Second Hospital, Zhejiang University School of Medicine, Hangzhou 310009, China
Acta Derm Venereol 85:160-3. 2005..Abundant fibrous long-spacing collagen was observed in the connective tissue and fibroblasts within papillae...
- Pilomatricoma mimicking small round cell tumor on fine needle aspiration cytology: a case reportNaveen Thapliyal
Department of Pathology, Uttaranchal Forest Hospital Trust Medical College, Haldwani, Uttaranchal, India
Acta Cytol 52:627-30. 2008..We report a rapidly growing nodular swelling misdiagnosed as round cell tumor cytologically and found to be pilomatricoma histopathologically...
- Pilomatricoma in a pediatric patientAdam F Gustin
Department of Radiology, Mount Auburn Hospital, Cambridge, MA, USA
Pediatr Radiol 36:1113. 2006
- [Pilomatrixoma of the head and neck in six cases]Erdogan Okur
Department of Otolaryngology, Medicine Faculty of Kahramanmaraş Sütçü Imam University, Kahramanmaras, Turkey
Kulak Burun Bogaz Ihtis Derg 14:121-6. 2005..We present six patients (age range 6 to 68 years) with pilomatrixoma in the head and neck region...
- Simultaneous multiple pilomatrixomasGulden Avci
Department of Plastic and Reconstructive Surgery Dr Lütfi Kirdar Kartal Education and Research Hospital Istanbul, Turkey
Pediatr Dermatol 23:157-62. 2006..Concurrent disorders were not identified in our patient and the etiology of her pilomatrixomas was not understood. Thorough examination of the patient and long-term follow-up are necessary with these tumors...
- Pilomatrix carcinoma: case report and review of literatureR Dutta
Department of Tissue Pathology, ICPMR, Westmead Hospital, Sydney, Australia
Pathology 33:248-51. 2001..Pilomatrix carcinoma is the rare malignant counterpart of pilomatrixoma. It has a potential for local recurrence and can metastasise to distant sites...
- Follicular germinative cells in pilomatricomaWataru Nishie
Department of Dermatology, Kin ikyo Central Hospital, Sapporo, Japan
Am J Dermatopathol 28:510-3. 2006....
- The common ultrasonographic features of pilomatricomaJi Young Hwang
Department of Radiology and Medical Research Institute, Ewha Womans University College of Medicine, 911 1 MokDong, Yangcheongu, 158 710 Seoul, Korea
J Ultrasound Med 24:1397-402. 2005..The purpose of this series was to describe typical ultrasonographic features of 20 cases of pilomatricoma and to improve its diagnostic rate with the use of an ultrasonographic approach...
- Immunohistochemical expression of beta-catenin, E-cadherin, cyclin D1 and c-myc in benign trichogenic tumorsNese Calli Demirkan
Department of Pathology, Medical School of Pamukkale University, Denizli, Turkey
J Cutan Pathol 34:467-73. 2007..Sublocation of beta-catenin has been demonstrated by immunohistochemistry. The aim of this study was to determine the role of beta-catenin-related proteins in various benign trichogenic tumors...
- Pilomatricoma arising at a BCG vaccination siteS Aquilina
Clin Exp Dermatol 31:296-7. 2006
- On the regulation of hair keratin expression: lessons from studies in pilomatricomasBernard Cribier
Clinique Dermatologique, Hopital Civil, Strasbourg, France
J Invest Dermatol 122:1078-83. 2004..These data imply that unlike the normal hair follicle, cortical differentiation in pilomatricomas is not under the control of the canonical Wnt signaling pathway...
- [Benign hair-follicle derived eyelids tumors in adults]E Mencía Gutiérrez
Hospital 12 de Octubre, Universidad Complutense, Madrid, Espana
Arch Soc Esp Oftalmol 77:605-10. 2002..Benign eyelid neoplasms derived from hair follicles are frequently misdiagnosed, including pilomatricoma, trichoepithelioma, trichilemmoma, trichoblastoma and inverted follicular keratosis...
- A tumor with composite pilo-folliculosebaceous differentiation harboring a recently described new entity--melanocytic matricomaClara Rizzardi
Unit of Pathology, University of Trieste, Italy
Am J Dermatopathol 24:493-7. 2002..We believe that sunlight may have played a role in the development of this peculiar neoplasm...
- Pilomatrixoma of the retroauricular area and armL Migirov
Department of Otolaryngology Head and Neck Surgery, Sheba Medical Center, Tel Hashomer, Israel
J Pediatr Surg 37:E20. 2002b>Pilomatrixoma is a benign tumor of hair follicles that usually occurs as a single tumor and appears in the head and neck region, extremities, and trunk. The authors present a case of pilomatrixoma with multifocal localization...
- Secondary anetoderma overlying pilomatrixomasMasaki Fujioka
Department of Plastic and Reconstructive Surgery, Fukuoka Tokushukai Medical Center, Fukuoka, Japan
Dermatology 207:316-8. 2003..Both phenomena may be caused by continuous pressure from the outside, as these anetodermic pilomatrixomas were located where they were apt to be exposed to mechanical irritation...
- beta-Catenin is expressed aberrantly in tumors expressing shadow cells. Pilomatricoma, craniopharyngioma, and calcifying odontogenic cystAshraf M Hassanein
Department of Pathology, Immunology and Laboratory Medicine, University of Florida College of Medicine, PO Box 100275, Gainesville, FL 32610, USA
Am J Clin Pathol 120:732-6. 2003..The latter could be related to their shared method of keratinization or shared dysfunction of the cellular adhesion complex leading to tumorigenesis...
- A benign pilomatrixoma mimicking a skull vault tumour in a 9-month-old girlJ J Fitzgerald
Department of Neurosurgery, University Hospital Nottingham, Queens Medical Centre, UK
Br J Neurosurg 17:469-70. 2003
- Multiple familial pilomatrixomasT Karpuzoglu
J Eur Acad Dermatol Venereol 17:358-9. 2003
- Melanocytic matricoma: case confirmation of a recently described entityChristy M Williams
Department of Pathology, University of South Alabama, Mobile, Alabama, USA
J Cutan Pathol 30:275-8. 2003..In 1999, Carlson et al. reported two cases of a matrical neoplasm that recapitulates the bulb of the anagen hair follicle, which they designated as melanocytic matricoma...
- [Clinicopathologic study of eyelid pilomatrixoma: the experience of the "Hospital Universitário Prof. Edgard Santos"]Eduardo Ferrari Marback
Hospital Universitario, Faculdade de Medicina, Universidade Federal da Bahia, Salvador, BA, Brasil
Arq Bras Oftalmol 70:501-3. 2007To report the experience with eyelid pilomatrixoma during 30 years in a university hospital.
- Fine needle aspiration cytology of pilomatricoma in three dogsCarlo Masserdotti
Clinica Veterinaria S Antonio, via Montale n degrees 2, 25087 Salo BS Italy
Vet Clin Pathol 31:22-5. 2002..Fine needle aspiration cytology is being used for the diagnosis of various neoplasms, but we are unaware of reports dealing with the cytologic features of canine pilomatricoma...
- [Case of Malherbe's epithelioma and lymphocytoma of the eyelid skin]A F Gabdrakhmanova
Vestn Oftalmol 119:42-3. 2003
- Pilomatrix carcinoma with lymph node metastasesAssia Bassarova
Department of Pathology, Alexander University Hospital, Medical University, Sofia, Bulgaria
J Cutan Pathol 31:330-5. 2004....
- Beta-catenin expression in benign and malignant pilomatrix neoplasmsA M Hassanein
Department of Pathology, University of Florida College of Medicine, Gainesville, FL, USA
Br J Dermatol 150:511-6. 2004..Exon 3 beta-catenin-activating mutations were found in 75% of cases of pilomatricoma (PM). Previous studies have shown that nuclear and/or cytoplasmic staining may correlate with beta-catenin gene mutation...
- Pilomatrixoma: never lower your guardJosé García Solano
Diagn Cytopathol 35:457-8. 2007
- Bone morphogenetic protein-mediated type II collagen expression in pilomatricoma and cutaneous mixed tumorHideki Mieno
Department of Dermatology, National Defense Medical College, 3 2 Namiki, Tokorozawa, Saitama 359 8513, Japan
J Cutan Pathol 32:206-11. 2005..We have previously reported that type II collagen deposition in overlying dermo-epidermal junction (DEJ) of pilomatricoma is mediated by bone morphogenetic protein 2/4 (BMP 2/4) expressed by shadow cells (SCs) of pilomatricoma...
- Differential expression of cyclin D1 in the human hair follicleXiaowei Xu
Department of Pathology, Hospital of University of Pennsylvania, Philadelphia, PA 19104, USA
Am J Pathol 163:969-78. 2003..Our data also demonstrate that the combination of DNA macroarray, LCM and quantitative real-time PCR is a powerful approach for the study of gene expression in defined cell populations with limited starting material...
- Idiopathic facial aseptic granuloma: a multicentre prospective study of 30 casesF Boralevi
Laboratory of Pathology, Hôpital Pellegrin enfant, Place Amelie Raba Leon, 33076 Bordeaux Cedex, France
Br J Dermatol 156:705-8. 2007..Idiopathic facial aseptic granuloma (IFAG) was recently described in a single-centre retrospective study as a skin condition that occurs specifically in childhood...
- Nasal hair matrix cyst mimicking dermoid cystOguz Kayiran
1st Plastic and Reconstructive Surgery Clinic, Ankara Research and Training Hospital, Ankara, Turkey
J Craniofac Surg 19:1422-4. 2008..Hair matrix cyst is a variant of epidermal cyst resembling the pattern of pilomatrixoma. Formerly, nasal hair matrix cyst has not been reported at all...
- Non-melanocytic benign skin tumors in childrenAna Lucas
Department of Dermatology, Hospital General Universitario de Alicante, Alicante, Spain
Am J Clin Dermatol 8:365-9. 2007..Dermatologists often attend children with benign skin tumors and cysts. The decision to perform dermatologic surgery in children may be difficult to make, especially in cases of benign tumors...
- [Mature cystic teratoma of the testis (dermoid cyst). Case report and literature review]P Garrido Abad
Servicio de Urología y Servicio de Anatomía Patológica1, Hospital del Henares, Coslada Madrid, Espana
Arch Esp Urol 62:747-51. 2009..Case report of a mature cystic teratoma (dermoid cyst), pseudopilomatrixoma like variant...
- [Subcutaneous tumour in an adolescent]M C Herwig
Universitäts Augenklinik Bonn, Bonn
Ophthalmologe 107:668-71. 2010..Clinically suspicious for dermoid cyst or pilomatrixoma, it was decided to remove the tumour completely...
- Pilomatrixoma of earlobeMohamed Jallouli
Department of Pediatric Surgery, Hedi Chaker Hospital, Sfax, Tunisia
J Cutan Aesthet Surg 2:36-7. 2009..The lesion was treated by simple enucleation and in two years of follow-up there has been no evidence of recurrence. The case is being reported in view of its rarity and unusual location...
- Keratinous cyst of the palpebral conjunctivaFrederick A Jakobiec
David G Cogan Laboratory of Ophthalmic Pathology, Massachusetts Eye and Ear Infirmary, Boston, MA 02114, USA
Ophthal Plast Reconstr Surg 25:337-9. 2009..a unique keratinous cyst was delimited mostly by basaloid cells resembling the matrical cells in pilomatrixoma. There were no keratohyalin granules in the lining cells, which focally transformed in ghost cells...
- Subepidermal calcified nodule in children: a clinicopathologic study of 21 casesM J Evans
Department of Pathology, Aberdeen University, Foresterhill, Scotland
Pediatr Dermatol 12:307-10. 1995..There was no evidence of pilomatrixoma or pre-existing nevus...
- Pilomatricoma: a dermal analog of calcifying odontogenic cystH Kaveri
Department of Oral Pathology and Microbiology, SDM College of Dental Sciences, Dharwad 580 009, Karnataka, India
Indian J Dent Res 19:261-3. 2008..Here, we describe a case of pilomatricoma of the periorbital region in a young Indian female patient. We believe that its inclusion is essential in the differential diagnosis of hard masses of the maxillofacial and paraoral regions...
- Giant pilomatricoma associated with hypercalcaemia and elevated levels of parathyroid hormone-related proteinY Kambe
Br J Dermatol 155:208-10. 2006
- Characteristics of pilomatrixoma in children: a review of 137 patientsDaniel Kwon
Department of Otolaryngology Head and Neck Surgery, Loma Linda University Medical Center, Loma Linda, CA, USA Electronic address
Int J Pediatr Otorhinolaryngol 78:1337-41. 2014To describe our institutional experience with pilomatrixoma in the pediatric population, specifically examining its clinical presentation, associated conditions, surgical treatment and future implications.
- Melanocytic matricoma: a distinctive clinicopathologic entityMohammed N Islam
Oral and Maxillofacial Surgery and Diagnostic Sciences, College of Dentistry, University of Florida, Gainsville, FL, USA
Dermatol Surg 33:857-63. 2007
- A rare presentation of giant pilomatricoma located on the backFatih Goktay
Department of Dermatology, Haydarpasa Numune Training and Research Hospital, 34668 Uskudar, Istanbul, Turkey
Dermatol Surg 33:596-600. 2007
- A histopathological study of ophthalmic lesionsS Pudasaini
Department of Pathology, Nepal Medical College Teaching Hospital, Jorpati, Kathmandu, Nepal
Nepal Med Coll J 15:78-80. 2013..Other lesions like inclusion cyst, dermoid cyst, seborrheic keratosis, pilomatrixoma, nevus and molluscum contagiosum are also included in our study.
- Molecular pathology of skin neoplasms of the head and neckStefan Kraft
From the Department of Pathology, Massachusetts General Hospital and Harvard Medical School, Boston, Massachusetts Dr Kraft and the Department of Pathology, Brigham and Women s Hospital and Harvard Medical School, Boston, Massachusetts Dr Granter
Arch Pathol Lab Med 138:759-87. 2014..Skin neoplasms include the most common malignancies affecting humans. Many show an ultraviolet (UV)-induced pathogenesis and often affect the head and neck region...
- [An unusual presentation of a pilomatrixoma in the eyelid]C Izquierdo-Rodríguez
Hospital 12 de Octubre, Universidad Complutense, Madrid, Espana
Arch Soc Esp Oftalmol 81:483-6. 2006..The presumed diagnosis was a pyogenic granuloma. An excision biopsy was performed and the histopathologic diagnosis was a pilomatrixoma.
- Pilomatrix carcinoma: a case report and review of the literatureKristine M Cornejo
Department of Pathology, University of Massachusetts Medical School, Worcester, MA, USA
Am J Dermatopathol 35:389-94. 2013b>Pilomatrixoma is a common benign neoplasm of children and young adults with a female predilection. In contrast, its malignant counterpart, pilomatrix carcinoma is a rare neoplasm of older adults with a male preponderance...
- Multiple perforating and non perforating pilomatricomas in a patient with Churg-Strauss syndrome and Rubinstein-Taybi syndromeP Bayle
Services de Dermatologie, Place du Dr Baylac, Toulouse Cedex, France
J Eur Acad Dermatol Venereol 18:607-10. 2004..These syndromes may be independent, but these rare diseases and genetic abnormalities may be linked together...
- Multiple pilomatricoma in trisomy 9H Matsuura
Dermatology 204:82-3. 2002
- Basaloid tumors of the salivary glandsDavid C Chhieng
Department of Pathology, University of Alabama at Birmingham, AL 35249 6823, USA
Ann Diagn Pathol 6:364-72. 2002..However, in limited biopsies and particularly in cytologic samples, the evaluation can be quite challenging. A systematic approach aided by immunohistochemistry is essential to arrive at an accurate diagnosis...
- [Adnexal skin tumors, gigantic dimensions]E Halbach
Klinikum Lüdenscheid, Klinik für Plastische, Hand und Gesichtschirurgie
Handchir Mikrochir Plast Chir 44:375-8. 2012..Adnexal skin tumors are rare and mostly not common. Their appearance are atypical and only histologically to save. 2 cases were demonstrated with impressing extension demanding a complex surgical approach...
- Expression patterns of hair and epithelial keratins and transcription factors HOXC13, LEF1, and beta-catenin in a malignant pilomatricoma: a histological and immunohistochemical studyBernard Cribier
Department of Dermatology, University Hospital, Strasbourg, France
J Cutan Pathol 33:1-9. 2006..In contrast, hHa1 expression in the upper transitional cell compartment is uncoupled from the nuclear co-expression of the LEF1/beta-catenin complex seen in normal hair follicles (Cribier et al., J Invest Dermatol 2004; 122: 1078)...
- [Anetodermal pilomatricoma]B Monteagudo Sánchez
An Pediatr (Barc) 64:181-2. 2006
- Isotretinoin in the treatment of multiple benign pilomatrixomas in a mixed-breed dogStefano Toma
Ospedale Veterinario Cuneese, Via Cuneo 52 N, 12011 Borgo S Dalmazzo CN, Italy
Vet Dermatol 16:346-50. 2005..No adverse effects were noted. To the authors' knowledge, this is the first report of multiple pilomatrixomas arising in a young dog and successfully controlled with oral retinoids...
- Pilomatrix carcinoma of the clitorisBarbara Gazic
Institute of Oncology, Ljubljana, Slovenia
Int J Surg Pathol 19:827-30. 2011Pilomatrix carcinoma, a malignant counterpart of pilomatrixoma, is a rare skin neoplasm composed of basaloid and shadow cells that characterize differentiation toward the hair matrix...
- Lysophosphatidic Acid in OncogenesisXianjun Fang; Fiscal Year: 2010..tumors include malignant lymphoma, lung adenocarcinoma, high-grade sarcoma, leiomyosarcoma, plasmacytoma and pilomatrixoma. The wide spectrum of tumors found in these mice not only provides direct evidence for aberrant LPA signaling ..