Genomes and Genes
Summary: A carcinoma composed mainly of epithelial elements with little or no stroma. Medullary carcinomas of the breast constitute 5%-7% of all mammary carcinomas; medullary carcinomas of the thyroid comprise 3%-10% of all thyroid malignancies. (From Dorland, 27th ed; DeVita Jr et al., Cancer: Principles & Practice of Oncology, 3d ed, p1141; Segen, Dictionary of Modern Medicine, 1992)
Publications227 found, 100 shown here
- Sporadic hypercalcitoninemia: clinical and therapeutic consequencesC Scheuba
Department of Surgery, Medical University of Vienna, Wahringer Gurtel 18 20, A 1090 Vienna, Austria
Endocr Relat Cancer 16:243-53. 2009..Medullary thyroid cancer was documented in 20% of patients with basal calcitonin >10 pg/ml but <64 pg/ml and stimulated calcitonin >100 pg/ml but <560 pg/ml...
- A new hot spot for mutations in the ret protooncogene causing familial medullary thyroid carcinoma and multiple endocrine neoplasia type 2AI Berndt
Institute for Hormone and Fertility Research, University of Hamburg, Germany
J Clin Endocrinol Metab 83:770-4. 1998..With the discovery of these considerably common mutations in codons 790 and 791 and the identification of some rare mutations, 100% of the German FMTC/MEN-2A families could be characterized by a mutation in the ret protooncogene...
- Long-term outcome in 46 gene carriers of hereditary medullary thyroid carcinoma after prophylactic thyroidectomy: impact of individual RET genotypeK Frank-Raue
Endokrinologische Gemeinschaftspraxis, 69120 Heidelberg, Germany
Eur J Endocrinol 155:229-36. 2006..Recommendations on the timing and extent of thyroidectomy are based upon a model that utilises genotype-phenotype correlations to stratify mutations into three risk groups...
- Prognostic impact of serum calcitonin and carcinoembryonic antigen doubling-times in patients with medullary thyroid carcinomaJacques Barbet
Département de Recherche en Cancérologie, Institut National de la Sante et de la Recherche Medicale, Unite 601, Institut de Biologie, 9 quai Moncousu, 44093 Nantes Cedex 1, France
J Clin Endocrinol Metab 90:6077-84. 2005..After unsuccessful surgery, medullary thyroid carcinoma (MTC) may be fatal or remain stable for decades, and precise survival predictors are needed...
- Rare (new) entities of the breast and medullary carcinomaMaria P Foschini
Department of Haematology and Oncology, Bellaria Hospital, University of Bologna, Italy
Pathology 41:48-56. 2009..Here some of these tumours are described, in which the authors have most familiarity. An outline of medullary carcinoma is also presented.
- Tumor infiltrating lymphocytes differ in invasive micropapillary carcinoma and medullary carcinoma of breastXiaojing Guo
Department of Breast Cancer Pathology and Research Laboratory, State Key Laboratory of Breast Cancer Research, Cancer Hospital of Tianjin Medical University, Tianjin, China
Mod Pathol 21:1101-7. 2008Tumor infiltrating lymphocytes have been correlated with a better prognosis for some tumors and medullary carcinoma of breast is a good example...
- Clinical case seminar: in vivo and in vitro characterization of a novel germline RET mutation associated with low-penetrant nonaggressive familial medullary thyroid carcinomaLeonardo D'Aloiso
Unit of Endocrinology and Division of Anatomic Pathology, Istituto di Ricovero e Cura a Carattere Scientifico Csa Sollievo della Sofferenza Hospital, Foggia, Italy
J Clin Endocrinol Metab 91:754-9. 2006..RET mutation analysis provides useful information on the clinical outcome of medullary thyroid carcinomas (MTCs) and the risk of disease in the family members...
- Specific mutations of the RET proto-oncogene are related to disease phenotype in MEN 2A and FMTCL M Mulligan
Department of Pathology, University of Cambridge, UK
Nat Genet 6:70-4. 1994....
- A novel germ-line point mutation in RET exon 8 (Gly(533)Cys) in a large kindred with familial medullary thyroid carcinomaAdriana M Alvares Da Silva
Laboratory of Molecular Endocrinology, Division of Endocrinology, Department of Medicine, Escola Paulist de Medicina, Federal University of Sao Paulo, Brazil
J Clin Endocrinol Metab 88:5438-43. 2003..To improve the diagnosis of FMTC, analysis of exon 8 of RET should be considered in families with no identified classical RET mutations...
- Routine measurement of serum calcitonin is useful for early detection of medullary thyroid carcinoma in patients with nodular thyroid diseasesJ R Hahm
Department of Internal Medicine, College of Medicine, Gyeongsang National University, Chinju, Korea
Thyroid 11:73-80. 2001..Therefore, we evaluated the usefulness of routine measurement of serum calcitonin concentration in patients with nodular thyroid diseases, and studied the validity of pentagastrin stimulation test and FNAC in these patients...
- The relationship between specific RET proto-oncogene mutations and disease phenotype in multiple endocrine neoplasia type 2. International RET mutation consortium analysisC Eng
Division of Cancer Epidemiology and Control, Dana Farber Cancer Institute, Department of Medicine, Harvard Medical School, Boston, MA 02115 6084, USA
JAMA 276:1575-9. 1996..The purpose of this study was to establish the relationship between specific mutations and the presence of certain disease features in MEN 2 which could help in clinical decision making...
- Natural history, diagnosis, treatment and outcome of medullary thyroid cancer: 37 years experience on 157 patientsM R Pelizzo
Department of Medical and Surgical Sciences, Institute of Surgical Pathology, University of Padova, Padova, Italy
Eur J Surg Oncol 33:493-7. 2007....
- Sporadic medullary thyroid carcinoma: clinical data from a university hospitalJoya Emilie M Correia-Deur
Unidade de Endocrinologia Genética, Laboratórios de Investigação Médica LIM 25, Hospital das Clinicas, Faculdade de Medicina, Universidade de Sao Paulo, Sao Paulo, SP, Brazil
Clinics (Sao Paulo) 64:379-86. 2009..In this study, a set of cases with s-medullary thyroid carcinoma are documented and explored...
- RET exon 11 (G691S) polymorphism is significantly more frequent in sporadic medullary thyroid carcinoma than in the general populationRossella Elisei
Department of Endocrinology, University of Pisa, Via Paradisa 2, 56124 Pisa, Italy
J Clin Endocrinol Metab 89:3579-84. 2004..A putative role of the G691S polymorphism as genetic modifier in the normal subjects remains to be established...
- Germline-sequence variants S836S and L769L in the RE arranged during Transfection (RET) proto-oncogene are not associated with predisposition to sporadic medullary carcinoma in the French populationI Berard
Clin Genet 65:150-2. 2004
- Renal medullary carcinoma: report of seven cases from BrazilIsabela C Watanabe
1State University of Campinas, Sao Paulo, Brazil
Mod Pathol 20:914-20. 2007We report seven cases of renal medullary carcinoma collected from several institutions in Brazil. In spite of a relatively high incidence of sickle cell trait in Brazil, this is a rare tumor...
- Distinguishing medullary carcinoma of the breast from high-grade hormone receptor-negative invasive ductal carcinoma: an immunohistochemical approachUta Flucke
Institute of Pathology, University Hospital Bonn, Bonn, Germany
Histopathology 56:852-9. 2010..Our aim was to establish novel diagnostic markers distinguishing MCs from hormone receptor-negative high-grade IDCs...
- Predictive value of serum calcitonin levels for preoperative diagnosis of medullary thyroid carcinoma in a cohort of 5817 consecutive patients with thyroid nodulesGiuseppe Costante
Dipartimento di Medicina Sperimentale e Clinica, Università Magna Graecia, Italy
J Clin Endocrinol Metab 92:450-5. 2007..Routine serum calcitonin (CT) measurement in patients with thyroid nodules for diagnosis of medullary thyroid carcinoma (MTC) is controversial...
- Differentiating the undifferentiated: immunohistochemical profile of medullary carcinoma of the colon with an emphasis on intestinal differentiationBrody Winn
Department of Pathology, Rhode Island Hospital, Alpert Medical School of Brown University, Providence, RI 02903, USA
Hum Pathol 40:398-404. 2009Undifferentiated or medullary carcinoma is characterized by its distinct histologic appearance and relatively better prognosis compared to poorly differentiated colonic carcinoma...
- Immunoglobulin repertoire of B lymphocytes infiltrating breast medullary carcinomaB Kotlan
National Medical Center, Institute of Haematology and Immunology, Budapest, Hungary
Hum Antibodies 12:113-21. 2003..This new approach might have a benefit for further antibody engineering, as difficulties in search for tumor binders by phage library selection might be reduced and the time for selection shortened...
- Medullary carcinoma of the large intestine: a population based analysisPragatheeshwar Thirunavukarasu
UPMC Cancer Pavilion, University of Pittsburgh, Pittsburgh, PA 15232, USA
Int J Oncol 37:901-7. 2010b>Medullary carcinoma (MC) of the colorectum is a relatively new histological type of adenocarcinoma characterized by poor glandular differentiation and intraepithelial lymphocytic infiltrate...
- Early malignant progression of hereditary medullary thyroid cancerAndreas Machens
Klinik fUr Allgemein, Viszeral, und Gefässchirurgie, Martin Luther Universitat Halle Wittenberg, Halle, Saale, Germany
N Engl J Med 349:1517-25. 2003....
- RET mutations in exons 13 and 14 of FMTC patientsA Bolino
Laboratorio di Genetica Molecolare, Istituto G Gaslini, Genova, Italy
Oncogene 10:2415-9. 1995..Haplotype analysis using polymorphic markers tightly linked to the RET gene indicates that in each pedigree the mutation arose as an independent event...
- Sporadic medullary carcinoma of the colon: a clinicopathologic comparison with nonhereditary poorly differentiated enteric-type adenocarcinoma and neuroendocrine colorectal carcinomaMark R Wick
Department of Pathology, University of Virginia Health System, Charlottesville 22908 0214, USA
Am J Clin Pathol 123:56-65. 2005..Medullary CRC seems to be a distinct clinicopathologic variant of CRC, which does not have a neuroendocrine lineage. The biologic behavior of MCRC was better than that of ECRC or NEC...
- A novel point mutation in the intracellular domain of the ret protooncogene in a family with medullary thyroid carcinomaR M Hofstra
Department of Medical Genetics, University of Groningen, The Netherlands
J Clin Endocrinol Metab 82:4176-8. 1997..This amino acid change may be important in determining substrate specificity or, alternatively, may play a role in ATP binding...
- Regulatory peptides and other neuroendocrine markers in medullary carcinoma of the thyroidF W Hanna
Wellcome Research Laboratories, Department of Medicine, Queen s University of Belfast, UK
J Endocrinol 152:275-81. 1997..5-HT, substance P, neurokinin A, glucagon and VIP could not be detected, excluding them as candidates in the diarrhoea of MTC...
- Calcitonin screening and pentagastrin testing: predictive value for the diagnosis of medullary carcinoma in nodular thyroid diseaseB L Herrmann
Department of Endocrinology and Division of Laboratory Research, University Duisburg Essen, Essen, Germany
Eur J Endocrinol 162:1141-5. 2010..Serum calcitonin (hCT) measurement may be useful for detecting medullary thyroid carcinoma (MTC), but the routine use of hCT after pentagastrin stimulation to screen patients with nodular thyroid disease remains controversial...
- Pituitary metastasis from medullary carcinoma of thyroid: case report and review of literatureHarjinder S Bhatoe
Department of Neurosurgery, Army Hospital Research and Referral, Delhi Cantt, New Delhi, India
J Neurooncol 89:63-7. 2008..We report a case of intrapituitary metastasis from medullary carcinoma thyroid in a 38-year-old male, who had been operated for pituitary adenoma 5 years earlier...
- [Typical medullary carcinoma of the breast: a retrospective study about 33 cases]F Khomsi
Service de chirurgie carcinologique, Institut Salah Azaiz, Boulevard 9 avril, 1006, Tunis, Tunisie
Gynecol Obstet Fertil 35:1117-22. 2007Typical medullary carcinoma of the breast is a rare histological form of breast carcinoma. It represents less than 5% of all breast cancer. It is known for its favourable prognosis...
- Medullary carcinoma in a lingual thyroidS Yaday
Department of Otorhinolaryngology, Post Graduate Institute of Medical Sciences, Rohtak 124001, India
Singapore Med J 49:251-3. 2008..We report a case of medullary carcinoma in a total ectopic lingual thyroid occurring in a 45-year-old woman who presented with dysphagia, plummy ..
- Immunohistochemical detection of somatostatin receptor types 1-5 in medullary carcinoma of the thyroidM Papotti
Department of Biomedical Sciences and Oncology, University of Turin, Italy
Clin Endocrinol (Oxf) 54:641-9. 2001..of the five somatostatin receptors (sst1-5) by immunohistochemistry in a large retrospective series of 51 medullary carcinoma of the thyroid (MCT) specimens and correlated the pattern of sst expression with expression of somatostatin ..
- Differential amplification and overexpression of HER-2/neu, p53, MIB1, and estrogen receptor/progesterone receptor among medullary carcinoma, atypical medullary carcinoma, and high-grade invasive ductal carcinoma of breastRuliang Xu
Department of Pathology, Mount Sinai School of Medicine of New York University, New York, NY, USA
Arch Pathol Lab Med 127:1458-64. 2003b>Medullary carcinoma (MC) is a special type of breast cancer that has a better prognosis than atypical medullary carcinoma (AMC) and high-grade invasive ductal carcinoma (HGIDC) with prominent lymphocytic infiltrates...
- CGH alterations in medullary thyroid carcinomas in relation to the RET M918T mutation and clinical outcomeT Frisk
Department of Molecular Medicine, Endocrine Tumor Unit, Karolinska Hospital CMM L8 01, SE 171 76 Stockholm, Sweden
Int J Oncol 18:1219-25. 2001..The results indicate that MTC is a comparatively genetically stable tumor, and that chromosomal regions 19q, 19p, 13q and 11q may be involved in MTC carcinogenesis...
- Localization of medullary thyroid carcinoma metastasis in a multiple endocrine neoplasia type 2A patient by 6-[18F]-fluorodopamine positron emission tomographyLoukas Gourgiotis
Clinical Endocrinology Branch, National Institute of Diabetes, Digestive, and Kidney Diseases, National Institutes of Health, Bethesda, Maryland, 20892, USA
J Clin Endocrinol Metab 88:637-41. 2003....
- Topoisomerase II alpha status in renal medullary carcinoma: immuno-expression and gene copy alterations of a potential target of therapyRoula Albadine
Department of Pathology, Johns Hopkins University, Baltimore, Maryland, USA
J Urol 182:735-40. 2009Renal medullary carcinoma is an aggressive renal neoplasm without currently available effective therapy to our knowledge. Topoisomerase II alpha is a gyrase involved in cell proliferation, and DNA maintenance and repair...
- [FDG PET scan of metastases in recurrent medullary carcinoma of the thyroid gland]Szabolcs Szakáll
Debreceni Egyetem, Orvos és Egészségtudományi Centrum, PET Centrum, Debrecen
Orv Hetil 143:1280-3. 2002..In the follow-up of MTC patients, FDG PET was more sensitive in localizing tumorous LN involvement, especially in the cervical, supraclavicular and mediastinal lymphatic regions, compared to other imaging modalities...
- Germline RET 634 mutation positive MEN 2A-related C-cell hyperplasias have genetic features consistent with intraepithelial neoplasiaS J Diaz-Cano
Department of Pathology, Tufts University New England Medical Center, Boston, Massachusetts 02111, USA
J Clin Endocrinol Metab 86:3948-57. 2001....
- The role of radiotherapy in the management of elevated calcitonin after surgery for medullary thyroid cancerN Fersht
Thyroid Unit, Royal Marsden NHS Trust, London, UK
Thyroid 11:1161-8. 2001..However, it does appear to have a role in those presenting with more advanced disease to reduce the incidence of loco-regional relapse...
- Lack of HIN-1 methylation defines specific breast tumor subtypes including medullary carcinoma of the breast and BRCA1-linked tumorsPascaline Tisserand
Laboratoire de Genotoxicololgie des Tumeurs Paris, France
Cancer Biol Ther 2:559-63. 2003b>Medullary carcinoma is a poorly differentiated breast cancer with a high histologic grade and a paradoxically good prognosis...
- RET proto-oncogene mutations affecting codon 790/791: A mild form of multiple endocrine neoplasia type 2A syndrome?Oliver Gimm
Department of General, Visceral, and Vascular Surgery, Martin Luther University Halle Wittenberg, Ernst Grube Strasse 40, 06097 Halle, Germany
Surgery 132:952-9; discussion 959. 2002..In patients with multiple endocrine neoplasia type 2A syndrome, prophylactic thyroidectomy is generally recommended at the age of 5 to 6 years. Whether this recommendation is justified for exon 13 mutations is unknown...
- Relevance of immunocytochemistry on thin-layer cytology in thyroid lesions suspicious for medullary carcinoma: a case-control studyEsther Diana Rossi
Endocrinology, Catholic University of Sacred Heart, Largo Francesco Vito, Rome, Italy
Appl Immunohistochem Mol Morphol 16:548-53. 2008..This diagnosis may be supported by immunocytochemistry (ICC), which may be difficult to carry out on the conventional smears...
- Renal medullary carcinoma: a report of 2 cases and review of the literatureHaytham Dimashkieh
Department of Pathology and Laboratory Medicine, University of Cincinnati, Cincinnati, OH 45267, USA
Arch Pathol Lab Med 127:e135-8. 2003Renal medullary carcinoma is a recently described aggressive neoplasm of the kidney...
- Late-onset medullary carcinoma of the thyroid: need for genetic testing and prophylactic thyroidectomy in adult family membersAshok R Shaha
Department of Surgery, Head and Neck Service, Memorial Sloan Kettering Cancer Center, New York, NY, USA
Laryngoscope 116:1704-7. 2006Sporadic late-onset medullary carcinoma of the thyroid is quite rare...
- Medullary carcinoma, provocative now as thenJohn H Eichhorn
James Homer Wright Pathology Laboratories, Massachusetts General Hospital and Harvard Medical School, 55 Fruit St, Boston, MA 02114, USA
Semin Diagn Pathol 21:65-73. 2004..The term "medullary carcinoma" dates to the 19th century, but the modern entity was introduced in 1949 by Moore and Foote, who described ..
- Impact of routine measurement of serum calcitonin on the diagnosis and outcome of medullary thyroid cancer: experience in 10,864 patients with nodular thyroid disordersRossella Elisei
Department of Endocrinology and Metabolism, University of Pisa, 56124 Pisa, Italy
J Clin Endocrinol Metab 89:163-8. 2004..On this basis, routine measurement of basal serum CT levels should be considered an integral part of the diagnostic evaluation of thyroid nodules...
- Prognosis of medullary thyroid carcinoma: demographic, clinical, and pathologic predictors of survival in 1252 casesSanziana Roman
Section of Endocrine Surgery, Department of Surgery, Yale University School of Medicine, New Haven, Connecticut 06520, USA
Cancer 107:2134-42. 2006..Therefore, the authors used the population-based Surveillance, Epidemiology, and End Results (SEER) registry to update what to their knowledge is one of the largest series of patients with MTC reported to date...
- Familial medullary carcinoma prevention, risk evaluation, and RET in children of families with MEN2Samuel W Moore
Department of Pediatric Surgery, University of Stellenbosch Medical Faculty, PO Box 19063, Tygerberg 7505, South Africa
J Pediatr Surg 42:326-32. 2007..The 918 mutation associated with MEN2B is associated with early aggressive behaviour and distant metastatic spread. This has led to active screening of affected families underlining the need for specific intervention strategies...
- Impact of RET proto-oncogene analysis on the clinical management of multiple endocrine neoplasia type 2Sergio Pereira de Almeida Toledo
Genetic Endocrinology Unit LIM 25, Internal Medicine Department, Sao Paulo University Medical School, Sao Paulo SP, Brazil
Clinics (Sao Paulo) 61:59-70. 2006....
- Immunophenotype of lymphocytic infiltration in medullary carcinoma of the breastHajime Kuroda
Department of Pathology, Saitama Medical Center, Saitama Medical School 1981, Tsujido, Kamoda, 350 8550 Kawagoe, Saitama, Japan
Virchows Arch 446:10-4. 2005b>Medullary carcinoma (MC) of the breast is characterized by large anaplastic cells and infiltration by benign lymphocytes...
- Medullary thyroid cancerGary L Clayman
Department of Head and Neck Surgery, University of Texas M D Anderson Cancer Center, 1515 Holcombe Boulevard, Box 0441, Houston, TX 77030, USA
Otolaryngol Clin North Am 36:91-105. 2003..Interdisciplinary management by surgeons, endocrinologists, pathologists, radiotherapists, radiologists, and medical oncologists should be sought...
- Polymorphisms in the initiators of RET (rearranged during transfection) signaling pathway and susceptibility to sporadic medullary thyroid carcinomaArancha Cebrian
Cancer Research UK Human Cancer Genetics Research Group, Department of Oncology, University of Cambridge CB1 8RN, United Kingdom
J Clin Endocrinol Metab 90:6268-74. 2005..However, most MTC occur in individuals without a family history...
- Prognostic factors for sporadic medullary thyroid carcinomaKaptan Gulben
Department of Surgery, Ankara Oncology Education and Research Hospital, Demetevler, Ankara, TR 06200, Turkey
World J Surg 30:84-90. 2006..Approximately 84% of cases are sporadic. The aim of this study was to evaluate the outcomes of treatment for sporadic medullary thyroid carcinoma (SMTC) and define the prognostic factors for overall survival...
- Cellular effects and antitumor activity of RET inhibitor RPI-1 on MEN2A-associated medullary thyroid carcinomaGiuditta Cuccuru
Preclinical Chemotherapy and Pharmacology Unit, and Nuclear Medicine Unit, Istituto Nazionale Tumori, Milan, Italy
J Natl Cancer Inst 96:1006-14. 2004..Medullary thyroid carcinoma is a component of multiple endocrine neoplasia type 2 or MEN2 syndromes...
- A case of multiple endocrine neoplasia type II accompanied by thyroid medullary carcinoma and pheochromocytomas expressing corticotropin-releasing factor and urocortinsKazunori Kageyama
Department of Endocrinology and Metabolism, Hirosaki University School of Medicine, Aomori 036 8562, Japan
Am J Med Sci 335:398-402. 2008..Pathological examination showed that these tumors were pheochromocytoma and thyroid medullary carcinoma, respectively, both of which highly expressed corticotropin-releasing factor, urocortin1, and urocortin3...
- Renal medullary carcinoma and ABL gene amplificationLijo Simpson
Department of Medicine, Illinois Masonic Medical Center, Maywood, Illinois, USA
J Urol 173:1883-8. 2005We characterized the clinical course of renal medullary carcinoma (RMC) and performed an expanded analysis of BCR-ABL.
- Familial thyroid cancerO Alsanea
Clinical Fellow Endocrine Surgical Oncology, and Chief, Professor and Vice Chair, Department of Surgery, University of California, San Francisco Mount Zion Medical Center, San Francisco, California, USA
Curr Opin Oncol 13:44-51. 2001..Total thyroidectomy and central neck dissection followed by radioactive iodine ablation and thyroid hormone suppression appear to be the most effective therapy...
- Treatment of metastatic carcinoid tumours, phaeochromocytoma, paraganglioma and medullary carcinoma of the thyroid with (131)I-meta-iodobenzylguanidine [(131)I-mIBG]J J Mukherjee
Department of Endocrinology, St Bartholomew's Hospital, West Smithfield, London EC1A 7BE, UK
Clin Endocrinol (Oxf) 55:47-60. 2001..metastatic carcinoid tumours, 8 metastatic phaeochromocytoma, 7 metastatic paraganglioma and 4 metastatic medullary carcinoma of the thyroid) treated with (131)I-mIBG over a 15-year period were included in this analysis...
- RET proto-oncogene: a review and update of genotype-phenotype correlations in hereditary medullary thyroid cancer and associated endocrine tumorsMaria A Kouvaraki
Department of Surgical Oncology, The University of Texas M D Anderson Cancer Center, Houston, Texas 77230 1402, USA
Thyroid 15:531-44. 2005..Recommendations on the timing of prophylactic thyroidectomy and the extent of surgery are based upon a model that utilizes genotype- phenotype correlations to stratify mutations into three risk levels...
- Skip metastases in medullary thyroid carcinoma: a single-center experienceMarcos R Tavares
Department of Head and Neck Surgery, Hospital das Clinicas, University of Sao Paulo Medical School, Sao Paulo, Brazil
Surg Today 38:499-504. 2008..Level II to V lateral neck dissection is performed if neck metastasis is present or suspected. We conducted this study to identify the frequency and clinical determinants of skip neck metastasis in MTC...
- Genome-wide copy number imbalances identified in familial and sporadic medullary thyroid carcinomaDeborah J Marsh
Cancer Genetics, Kolling Institute of Medical Research, and Pacific Laboratory Medicine Services, Royal North Shore Hospital, St Leonards, New South Wales 2065, Australia
J Clin Endocrinol Metab 88:1866-72. 2003..Chromosomal imbalances in the MTC cell line TT were largely identical to those identified in primary MTC tumors, consolidating its use as a model for studying MTC...
- [Prophylactic thyroidectomy in carriers of RET oncogene mutation carriers]J Høie
Avdeling for kirurgisk onkologi, Det Norske Radiumhospital, 0310 Oslo
Tidsskr Nor Laegeforen 120:3249-52. 2000..Medullary thyroid cancer may be inherited dominantly. Germline mutations in the RET oncogene which code for a receptor tyrosine kinase cause MEN2. Thyroidectomy is recommended in family members who carry a mutation...
- Renal medullary carcinoma: the Bronx experienceA Ari Hakimi
Department of Urology, Montefiore Medical Center, Bronx, New York 10467, USA
Urology 70:878-82. 2007Renal medullary carcinoma (RMC) is a devastating and extremely rare malignancy primarily afflicting young men with sickle cell trait...
- MR imaging of medullary carcinoma of the breastJunya Tominaga
Department of Radiology, Tohoku Rohsai Hospital, 21 3 4 Dainohara Aoba ku, Sendai 981 8563, Japan
Eur J Radiol 70:525-9. 2009To examine the magnetic resonance imaging (MRI) findings of medullary carcinoma of the breast and to correlate them with histopathologic features.
- Heterophilic antibodies causing falsely high serum calcitonin valuesP D Papapetrou
Second Division of Endocrinology, Alexandra Hospital, Athens, Greece
J Endocrinol Invest 29:919-23. 2006....
- A population-based analysis of survival factors in differentiated and medullary thyroid carcinomaNeil Bhattacharyya
Division of Otolaryngology, Brigham and Women s Hospital, Department of Otology and Laryngology, Harvard Medical School, Boston, MA, USA
Otolaryngol Head Neck Surg 128:115-23. 2003..The study purpose was to determine survival and prognostic factors for differentiated thyroid carcinoma (DTC)...
- Surgical management of patients with persistent or recurrent medullary thyroid cancerJ F Moley
Department of Surgery, Washington University School of Medicine, St Louis, MO, USA
J Intern Med 243:521-6. 1998....
- Response to paclitaxel, gemcitabine, and cisplatin in renal medullary carcinomaMoshe D Bell
Pediatr Blood Cancer 47:228. 2006
- An immunohistochemical survey of nine cases of medullary carcinoma of thyroid including reactivity for Cox-1 and Cox-2 enzymesC David Bell
Division of Pathology, Department of Laboratory Medicine and Pathobiology St Michael s Hospital, Faculty of Medicine, University of Toronto, Toronto, Ontario, Canada
Endocr Pathol 13:331-40. 2002..enzymes in tumor biology, but, to our knowledge, no study has yet been published describing Cox activity in medullary carcinoma of the thyroid (MTC). Nine cases of MTC from the past 10 yr were retrieved from our hospital archives...
- Renal medullary carcinoma: sonographic, computed tomography, magnetic resonance and angiographic findingsA Khan
Department of Diagnostic Imaging, North Manchester General Hospital, Crumpsall, M8 6RB, Manchester, UK
Eur J Radiol 35:1-7. 2000Renal medullary carcinoma is a recently described, highly aggressive tumour, occurring predominantly in young patients of African descent with sickle cell trait (SCT). All have been metastatic at surgery...
- Childhood thyroid cancer in England and WalesH R Harach
Department of Histopathology, Addenbrooke s Hospital, University of Cambridge, UK
Br J Cancer 72:777-83. 1995..It illustrates the value to crude registry data of a pathology review...
- Tetraiodothyroacetic acid (tetrac) and nanoparticulate tetrac arrest growth of medullary carcinoma of the thyroidM Yalcin
The Pharmaceutical Research Institute, Albany College of Pharmacy and Health Sciences, Albany, New York 12208, USA
J Clin Endocrinol Metab 95:1972-80. 2010..Tetrac also inhibits angiogenesis initiated by vascular endothelial growth factor and basic fibroblast growth factor...
- [Genetic screening of multiple endocrine neoplasia type 2: experience of the USP Endocrine Genetics Unit]Marcelo A C G dos Santos
Unidade de Endocrinologia Genética, Clinica Medica, Faculdade de Medicina, Universidade de Sao Paulo, SP
Arq Bras Endocrinol Metabol 50:7-16. 2006..In 50 typical MEN-2 patients analyzed using both methods, we found no false results suggesting that DGGE is a reliable screening method for RET proto-oncogene mutation analysis...
- Renal medullary carcinoma: molecular, pathological and clinical evidence for treatment with topoisomerase-inhibiting therapyEdward M Schaeffer
The James Buchanan Brady Urologic Institute, The Johns Hopkins Medical Institutions, Baltimore, MD 21287, USA
BJU Int 106:62-5. 2010..Aetiology (case series) Level of Evidence 4...
- Allelic imbalance of the mutant and wild-type RET allele in MEN 2A-associated medullary thyroid carcinomaC A Koch
Pediatric and Reproductive Endocrinology Branch, National Institute of Child Health and Human Disease NICHD, National Institutes of Health, Bethesda, Maryland 20892, USA
Oncogene 20:7809-11. 2001..Taken together, our results suggest allelic imbalance between mutated and wild-type RET as a possible mechanism for tumor formation in some patients with MEN 2A-related MTC...
- Treatment of advanced medullary thyroid cancer with an alternating combination of 5 FU-streptozocin and 5 FU-dacarbazine. The Groupe d'Etude des Tumeurs a Calcitonine (GETC)M Schlumberger
Institut Gustave Roussy, Villejuif, France
Br J Cancer 71:363-5. 1995..Three partial responses and 11 long-term stabilizations were observed. No unexpected toxicity occurred...
- Expression of Jun activation domain-binding protein 1 and p27 (Kip1) in thyroid medullary carcinomaYasuhiro Ito
Department of Surgery, Kuma Hospital, 8 2 35, Shimoyamate dori, Chuo Ku, Kobe, Japan
Pathology 37:216-9. 2005..In this study, we investigated the expression of these proteins in medullary thyroid carcinoma...
- Molecular mechanisms of development of multiple endocrine neoplasia 2 by RET mutationsM Takahashi
Department of Pathology, Nagoya University School of Medicine, Japan
J Intern Med 243:509-13. 1998..Moreover, it turned out that tyrosine 1062 regulates the activity of both MEN-2A-Ret and MEN-2B-Ret and represents a binding site for the Shc adaptor protein...
- Polo-like kinase 1 expression in medullary carcinoma of the thyroid: its relationship with clinicopathological featuresYasuhiro Ito
Kuma Hospital, Kobe, and Department of Pathology, Wakayama Medical University, Japan
Pathobiology 72:186-90. 2005..However, its protein expression in human carcinoma has not been studied in depth. In this study, we investigated PLK1 expression in medullary thyroid carcinoma by means of immunohistochemistry...
- Frequency and relevance of elevated calcitonin levels in patients with neoplastic and nonneoplastic thyroid disease and in healthy subjectsGeorgios Karanikas
Department of Nuclear Medicin, University of Vienna, A 1090 Vienna, Austria
J Clin Endocrinol Metab 89:515-9. 2004....
- Calcitonin measurement to detect medullary thyroid carcinoma in nodular goiter: German evidence-based consensus recommendationW Karges
Department of Internal Medicine, University of Ulm, Ulm, Germany
Exp Clin Endocrinol Diabetes 112:52-8. 2004..Therefore, regular clinical and biochemical follow-up is the preferred treatment in such patients, unless thyroid malignancy is suspected otherwise...
- Medullary thyroid carcinoma: results of a standardized surgical approach in a contemporary series of 80 consecutive patientsTina W F Yen
Department of Surgical Oncology, University of Texas M D Anderson Cancer Center, 1515 Holcombe Boulevard, Houston, TX 77030, USA
Surgery 134:890-9; discussion 899-901. 2003..The surgical management and follow-up strategy in patients with medullary thyroid carcinoma (MTC) remain controversial because of the lack of data on the natural history of these tumors and their patterns of progression...
- Population-based study of familial medullary thyroid cancerK Hemminki
Department of Biosciences at Novum, Karolinska Institute, CNT Novum, 141 57 Huddinge, Sweden
Fam Cancer 1:45-9. 2001..We wanted to carry out a population-based study on medullary thyroid cancer (MTC) in order to quantify familial risks...
- Renal medullary carcinoma: CT and MRI featuresNetta M Blitman
Department of Radiology, Albert Einstein College of Medicine, Children s Hospital at Montefiore, 3400 Bainbridge Ave, Bronx, NY 10467, USA
AJR Am J Roentgenol 185:268-72. 2005We review the cross-sectional imaging findings of six cases of pathologically proven renal medullary carcinoma in patients with sickle cell trait. MRI findings were available in three of the patients...
- Results of surgical treatment of sporadic medullary thyroid carcinoma following routine measurement of serum calcitoninE Mirallie
Department of General and Endocrine Surgery, University Hospital La Timone, Boulevard Jean Moulin, 13385 Marseille 05, France
Eur J Surg Oncol 30:790-5. 2004..The aim of this study was to evaluate the results of the surgical management of medullary thyroid carcinoma (MTC), following the introduction of systematic calcitonin measurement in patients referred for thyroid diseases...
- Ectopic adrenocorticotropic hormone-syndrome in medullary carcinoma of the thyroid: a retrospective analysis and review of the literatureSandrine Laboureau Soares Barbosa
Endocrinologie, Médecine C, Centre Hospitalier Universitaire, Angers, France
Thyroid 15:618-23. 2005..EAS is a rare complication of MTC. The prognosis is poor because of frequency of metastasis at diagnosis. Persistent hypercortisolism can, by itself, lead to death, and has to be treated specifically...
- Medullary thyroid carcinomaJeffrey F Moley
Endocrine and Oncologic Surgery, Siteman Cancer Center, Washington University School of Medicine, Box 8109, 660 South Euclid, St Louis, MO 63110, USA
Curr Treat Options Oncol 4:339-47. 2003....
- Abnormal carcinoembryonic antigen levels and medullary thyroid cancer progression: a multivariate analysisAndreas Machens
Department of General, Visceral, and Vascular Surgery, Martin Luther University Halle Wittenberg, Halle Saale, Germany
Arch Surg 142:289-93; discussion 294. 2007..Medullary thyroid cancer cells are capable of secreting carcinoembyronic antigen (CEA). An abnormal preoperative CEA level may have important implications for the management of this condition...
- Immunophenotypic profile of tumor infiltrating lymphocytes in medullary carcinoma of the breastD Tamiolakis
Department of Cytology, Regional Hospital of Alexandroupolis, Democritus University of Thrace, Greece
Eur J Gynaecol Oncol 23:433-6. 2002b>Medullary carcinoma (MC) of the breast is considered to carry a more favorable prognosis than other subtypes of infiltrating ductal carcinoma...
- Current approaches to medullary thyroid carcinoma, sporadic and familialElizabeth A Fialkowski
Washington University School of Medicine, St Louis, Missouri, USA
J Surg Oncol 94:737-47. 2006..Newer systemic treatments, with agents that target abnormal RET proteins, hold promise and are being tested in clinical trials for patients with metastatic disease...
- False serum calcitonin high levels using a non-competitive two-site IRMAM Tommasi
Nuclear Medicine Unit, Department of Clinical Physiopathology, University of Florence, Italy
J Endocrinol Invest 24:356-60. 2001....
- Persistent hypercalcitoninemia in patients with medullary thyroid cancer: a therapeutic approach based on selective venous sampling for calcitoninH Medina-Franco
Department of Surgery, ,
Rev Invest Clin 53:212-7. 2001..Mean positive/resected lymph nodes were 5/20. Postoperative basal and stimulated levels of calcitonin became normal in two patients at one year of follow up. CONCLUSION: Selective venous sampling is useful to localize recurrent MTC...
- Genotype-phenotype based surgical concept of hereditary medullary thyroid carcinomaAndreas Machens
Department of General, Visceral and Vascular Surgery, Martin Luther University Halle Wittenberg, Ernst Grube Str 40, D 06097, Halle Saale, Germany
World J Surg 31:957-68. 2007..A comprehensive appraisal of this body of evidence using evidence-based methodology is pending...
- Molecular mechanisms of medullary thyroid carcinoma: current approaches in diagnosis and treatmentS A Boikos
Section on Endocrinology and Genetics, Developmental Endocrinology Branch, National Institute of Child Health and Human Development, Bethesda, Maryland 20892, USA
Histol Histopathol 23:109-16. 2008..This report reviews the RET involvement in the etiology of MEN 2 and MTC and updates the therapeutic approach in preclinical and clinical studies...
- Reference range of serum calcitonin levels in humans: influence of calcitonin assays, sex, age, and cigarette smokingMichèle D'herbomez
Department of Nuclear Medicine, Hopital Salengro, CHRU, 59037 Lille Cedex, France
Eur J Endocrinol 157:749-55. 2007..The objective of this study was to re-evaluate the adult C(T) reference values determined by five different immunoassays and by introducing criteria for selecting control subjects...
- Calcitonin measurement in the evaluation of thyroid nodules in the United States: a cost-effectiveness and decision analysisKevin Cheung
Department of Surgery, Yale University School of Medicine, 333 Cedar Street, New Haven, CT 06520, USA
J Clin Endocrinol Metab 93:2173-80. 2008..Calcitonin screening for MTC has not been recommended in recent U.S. practice guidelines...
- Impact of modified radical neck dissection on biochemical cure in medullary thyroid carcinomasT Weber
Department of Surgery, University of Heidelberg, and Endokrinologische Gemeinschaftspraxis, Heidelberg, Germany
Surgery 130:1044-9. 2001..005). CONCLUSIONS: Screening for MTC and primary treatment with total thyroidectomy and modified radical neck dissection are essential for biochemical cure of MTC...
- Expression of matrix metalloproteinase 2 (MMP-2) and tissue inhibitor of metalloproteinase 2 (TIMP-2) in medullary thyroid carcinoma: prognostic implicationsBeatriz G Cavalheiro
Head and Neck Surgery Service of the Brazilian Institute for Cancer Control IBCC, Sao Paulo, Brazil
Thyroid 18:865-71. 2008..If so, their expression would be a novel indicator of the prognosis of MTC...
- Complete surgical lymph node resection does not prevent authentic recurrences of medullary thyroid carcinomaS Franc
Department of Endocrinology, Avicenne Hospital AP HP, University of Paris, Bobigny, France
Clin Endocrinol (Oxf) 55:403-9. 2001..Serum calcitonin assay is particularly useful to define the postoperative state of patients (cured, apparently cured, not cured) and, because of its great sensitivity, it has a major place in the postoperative follow-up...
- Current approaches and perspectives in the therapy of medullary thyroid carcinomaG Vitale
Department of Molecular and Clinical Endocrinology and Oncology, School of Medicine, University of Naples Federico II, Naples, Italy
Cancer 91:1797-808. 2001..However, at present, surgery is the only curative treatment for MTC...
- Selective venous sampling catheterisation for localisation of persisting medullary thyroid carcinomaN Abdelmoumene
Department of Nuclear Medicine, Institut Gustave Roussy, Villejuif, France
Br J Cancer 69:1141-4. 1994..However, in patients with only local disease, biochemical cure is rarely obtained after reoperation...
- Long-term survival rates in young patients with thyroid carcinomaLuiz Paulo Kowalski
Department of Head and Neck Surgery and Otorhinolaryngology, Centro de Tratamento e Pesquisa Hospital do Cancer A C Camargo, Sao Paulo, Brazil
Arch Otolaryngol Head Neck Surg 129:746-9. 2003..Thyroid carcinoma in patients younger than 18 years is rare. It is associated with a greater risk of metastases. However, the prognosis for these patients is better when compared with that of adults...
- SURGICAL STUDIES ON METABOLISM OF G. I. HORMONESJames Thompson; Fiscal Year: 1993..We will study the mechanisms for release of neurotensin (NT) from the gut and from medullary carcinoma of the thyroid. We will determine the effect of NT on gastric secretion stimulated by different routes...
- MEDULLARY BREAST CANCER ANTIGEN AND B CELL INFILTRATEYao Tseng Chen; Fiscal Year: 1999b>Medullary carcinoma of the breast is the prototype of human tumors which characteristically elicit prominent lymphoplasmacytic cell infiltrates in the tumor stroma...
- ISOLATION OF A NEOANTIGEN IN MEDULLARY DUCTAL CARCINOMAJulia Coronella; Fiscal Year: 2000In this project, we seek to understand the unique immunobiology of medullary carcinoma (MC) of breast...
- TARGETED IMMUNOTHERAPIES IN CANCERRichard Junghans; Fiscal Year: 2000..using phage display technology to define th presumed neoantigens that elicit the plasma cell responses in medullary carcinoma of the breast...
- A NEURAL TRANSCRIPTION FACTOR IN LUNG CANCER EVOLUTIONDouglas Ball; Fiscal Year: 2006..The proposed studies should provide novel insights in SCLC biology and a firm basis for determining whether hASH1, and hASHl-regulated growth mechanisms, should be intensively pursued as therapeutic targets for SCLC. ..
- SLC2A9, A Candidate ER GLUT in Normal and Cancer CellsJeffrey Moley; Fiscal Year: 2002..Identification of SLC2A9 as the endoplasmic reticulum glucose transporter will improve understanding of GSDs, and of glucose metabolism in benign and malignant tissues. ..
- Role of LIBC in Inflammatory Breast Cancer PhenotypeCelina Kleer; Fiscal Year: 2007..Also, understanding the role of WISP3 will shed light on the mechanisms of cancer development in general and serve as a model for other related CCN genes involved in carcinogenesis. ..
- DISORDERED BLOOD COAGULATION IN SICKLE CELL DISEASEKenneth Ataga; Fiscal Year: 2006..e., is the "hypercoagulability" observed in patients with SCD a primary cause of the vasoocclusion or is it simply a secondary event that is observed in this clinical setting. ..
- Functional and Tissue Specific Effects of VHL MutationsWENDY RATHMELL; Fiscal Year: 2007..unreadable] [unreadable]..
- Biology of Headpin (a novel serpin) in Oral CancerGary Clayman; Fiscal Year: 2006..Progress in this area could lead to development of new molecular based targets for the management of oral cancer. ..
- Doxorubicin-Immunoconjugate Therapy of Non-Hodgkin's LymphomaRhona Stein; Fiscal Year: 2008..abstract_text> ..
- Phase II Clinical Trial Utilizing Lithium for Patients with Neuroendocrine TumorsHerbert Chen; Fiscal Year: 2008..Besides surgery, there are limited curative and palliative treatments available to patients with metastatic NE tumors, emphasizing the need for development of other forms of therapy. [unreadable] [unreadable] [unreadable]..
- HUS Pathogenesis & clinical Outcome in an in vivo modelJames Fox; Fiscal Year: 2008..We will use this model to study the pathogenesis of HUS and importantly to develop therapeutic regimens to prevent and treat EHEC disease. [unreadable] [unreadable] [unreadable] [unreadable]..
- IN VIVO PATHOGENESIS OF HELICOBACTER PYLORIJames Fox; Fiscal Year: 2009..pylori pathogenesis and specifically evaluate the role of regulatory T cells in limiting H. pylori-induced gastric pathology. ..
- Regulating Neuroendocrine Phenotype in CancerHerbert Chen; Fiscal Year: 2010..Furthermore, these finding may permit development of components of raf-1 pathway as therapeutic targets in the treatment and palliation of NE tumors. ..
- DEVELOPING AND IMPROVING INSTITUTIONAL ANIMAL RESOURCESJames Fox; Fiscal Year: 2006....
- Microecology-murine gut-initiation & progression of IBDJames Fox; Fiscal Year: 2005..prior and subsequent to oral vaccination with Helicobacter spp. antigens and mucosal adjuvants, elucidate how these vaccine strategies influence microflora dynamics and impact gut cytokine responses. ..
- BIOLOGY OF HUMAN INTRAEPITHELIAL LYMPHOCYTESEllen Ebert; Fiscal Year: 2002..These studies will determine the mechanism of IEL chemotaxis toward secreted products of ECs, why IL-15 is more potent than IL-2 in inducing LAK activity by IELs, and how IL-10 and IL-12 augment this activity. ..
- CLINICAL TRIALS AND MENTORING IN ONCOLOGY RESEARCHRobert Motzer; Fiscal Year: 2003..One recently joined staff at MSKCC in the Genito-urinary Section. Mentoring of clinical trials is extended beyond fellowship to junior faculty members. ..
- Genetic Etiologies of Esophageal Barrett's and CancerCharis Eng; Fiscal Year: 2003..This might facilitate molecular diagnostics and early prediction as well as targeted surveillance and prophylaxis. ..
- Signaling Pathways in Medullary Thyroid CancerHerbert Chen; Fiscal Year: 2004..abstract_text> ..
- Molecular Basis Of Renal Cell Carcinoma Response to SU11428Robert J Motzer; Fiscal Year: 2011..These tumor and cell line-based studies lay a foundation for further molecular studies aimed at understanding the sensitivity/resistance of RCC to SU11248. ..
- COAGULATION ACTIVATION IN SICKLE CELL DISEASEKenneth I Ataga; Fiscal Year: 2010..abstract_text> ..
- Effect of Pyridoxamine in Oxalate excretion in Stone Disease and HyperoxaluriaJon Scheinman; Fiscal Year: 2007..The public health implications of this study are in its contributions to preventing common kidney stone disease, and preventing kidney failure in an orphan disease, Primary Hyperoxaluria. [unreadable] [unreadable] [unreadable]..
- Novel Signaling Targets in GI Neuroendocrine TumorsHerbert Chen; Fiscal Year: 2005..The possibility that raf-l-mediated hormone suppression could be induced by a soluble factor would provide a plausible, therapeutic delivery method. ..
- Helicobacter induced hepatitis and tumorigenesisJames Fox; Fiscal Year: 2009..A more complete understanding of the etiopathogenesis of hepatobiliary disease and hepatocellular carcinoma is likely to result in new strategies for treatment and prevention of these important human diseases. ..
- PRE-CLINICAL COMBINATION CHEMO- AND RADIOANTIBODY THERAPRhona Stein; Fiscal Year: 2005..2) Therapy-induced changes in marker expression post therapy can be identified clinically in small samples of circulating tumor cells. ..
- Targeting RAF and VEGF Signaling in Thyroid CancerManisha Shah; Fiscal Year: 2006..unreadable] [unreadable]..
- BIOLOGIC MODIFIER THERAPIES IN AIDS MALIGNANCIESManisha Shah; Fiscal Year: 2004..Collectively, this application provides enhanced strength in intellectual contributions and patient accrual for the AMC, compared to our previous application. ..
- RET RECEPTOR POLYMORPHISMS & HIRSCHSPRUNG DISEASECharis Eng; Fiscal Year: 2004..Finally variants found to be associated with disease status will be tested functionally at the transcript, protein and cell biological level. ..
- Non-invasive beta-cell imaging using a Ga-68-labeled glucagone-like peptide-1 anaMartin Gotthardt; Fiscal Year: 2008..Apart from proof-of-principle studies in healthy volunteers and diabetes type I and II patients, a dosimetric method will be established to simply and reliably quantify beta-cell mass by PET imaging. [unreadable] [unreadable]..
- Biomarker modulation/COX-2 inhibitor/Breast CancerBanu Arun; Fiscal Year: 2003..Ultimately, the development of non-hormonal chemoprevention agents, and identification of surrogate markers will allow us to plan large-scale, phase III chemoprevention studies with the endpoint of cancer incidence. ..