Genomes and Genes
Summary: A tumor derived from mesothelial tissue (peritoneum, pleura, pericardium). It appears as broad sheets of cells, with some regions containing spindle-shaped, sarcoma-like cells and other regions showing adenomatous patterns. Pleural mesotheliomas have been linked to exposure to asbestos. (Dorland, 27th ed)
Articles from Journal RESEARCH
Articles from Journal RESEARCH1
Publications368 found, 100 shown here
- Phase III study of pemetrexed in combination with cisplatin versus cisplatin alone in patients with malignant pleural mesotheliomaNicholas J Vogelzang
University of Chicago, Cancer Research Center, 5841 South Maryland Ave, Chicago, IL 60637, USA
J Clin Oncol 21:2636-44. 2003Patients with malignant pleural mesothelioma, a rapidly progressing malignancy with a median survival time of 6 to 9 months, have previously responded poorly to chemotherapy...
- Fibulin-3 as a blood and effusion biomarker for pleural mesotheliomaHarvey I Pass
Department of Cardiothoracic Surgery, New York University Langone Medical Center, New York, NY 10016, USA
N Engl J Med 367:1417-27. 2012New biomarkers are needed to detect pleural mesothelioma at an earlier stage and to individualize treatment strategies...
- Advances in malignant mesotheliomaBruce W S Robinson
School of Medicine and Pharmacology, Sir Charles Gairdner Hospital, Nedlands, Perth, Australia
N Engl J Med 353:1591-603. 2005
- Asbestos, carbon nanotubes and the pleural mesothelium: a review of the hypothesis regarding the role of long fibre retention in the parietal pleura, inflammation and mesotheliomaKen Donaldson
University of Edinburgh, Centre for Inflammation Research, Queens Medical Research Institute, 47 Little France Crescent, Edinburgh EH164TJ, UK
Part Fibre Toxicol 7:5. 2010..their retention in the parietal pleura leading to the initiation of inflammation and pleural pathology such as mesothelioma. We describe evidence that a fraction of all deposited particles reach the pleura and that a mechanism of ..
- Malignant mesotheliomaBruce W S Robinson
Tumour Immunology Group, School of Medicine and Pharmacology, University of Western Australia, Australia
Lancet 366:397-408. 2005Malignant mesothelioma is an aggressive, treatment-resistant tumour, which is increasing in frequency throughout the world. Although the main risk factor is asbestos exposure, a virus, simian virus 40 (SV40), could have a role...
- Megakaryocyte potentiation factor cleaved from mesothelin precursor is a useful tumor marker in the serum of patients with mesotheliomaMasanori Onda
Laboratory of Molecular Biology, Center for Cancer Research, National Cancer Institute, NIH, Bethesda, Maryland 20892 4264, USA
Clin Cancer Res 12:4225-31. 2006To establish monoclonal antibodies (mAb) against megakaryocyte potentiation factor (MPF) and detect MPF in the blood of patients with mesothelioma.
- The European mesothelioma epidemicJ Peto
Section of Epidemiology, The Institute of Cancer Research, Sutton, Surrey, UK
Br J Cancer 79:666-72. 1999Projections for the period 1995-2029 suggest that the number of men dying from mesothelioma in Western Europe each year will almost double over the next 20 years, from 5000 in 1998 to about 9000 around 2018, and then decline, with a total ..
- Induction of mesothelioma in p53+/- mouse by intraperitoneal application of multi-wall carbon nanotubeAtsuya Takagi
Division of Cellular and Molecular Toxicology, Biological Safety Research Center, National Institute of Health Sciences, Kamiyoga, Tokyo, Japan
J Toxicol Sci 33:105-16. 2008..this dimension including asbestos and some man-made fibers are reported to be carcinogenic, typically inducing mesothelioma. Here we report that MWCNT induces mesothelioma along with a positive control, crocidolite (blue asbestos), ..
- Malignant pleural mesotheliomaAnne S Tsao
Department of Thoracic Head and Neck Medical Oncology, The University of Texas M D Anderson Cancer Center, 1515 Holcombe Blvd, Unit 432, Houston, TX 77030, USA
J Clin Oncol 27:2081-90. 2009Malignant pleural mesothelioma (MPM) is a deadly disease that occurs in 2,000 to 3,000 people each year in the United States...
- Role of hedgehog signaling in malignant pleural mesotheliomaYandong Shi
Laboratory of Molecular Oncology, Clinic and Policlinic of Oncology, Division of Thoracic Surgery, Institute of Surgical Pathology, University Hospital Zurich, Zurich, Switzerland
Clin Cancer Res 18:4646-56. 2012The aim of this study was to assess the activity of hedgehog signaling pathway in malignant pleural mesothelioma (MPM).
- Markers for the non-invasive diagnosis of mesothelioma: a systematic reviewS Van Der Bij
Julius Center for Health Sciences and Primary Care, University Medical Center Utrecht, Stratenum 6 131, PO Box 85500, 3508 GA Utrecht, The Netherlands
Br J Cancer 104:1325-33. 2011Numerous markers have been evaluated to facilitate the non-invasive diagnostic work-up of mesothelioma. The purpose of this study was to conduct a structured review of the diagnostic performance of non-invasive marker tests for the ..
- Identification of novel markers for the diagnosis of malignant pleural mesotheliomaFabien Gueugnon
INSERM U892, Centre de Recherche en Cancérologie Nantes Angers, Nantes, France
Am J Pathol 178:1033-42. 2011The diagnosis of malignant pleural mesothelioma is difficult, with the most common differential diagnoses being benign pleural diseases and metastatic adenocarcinomas (ADCA)...
- Novel ELISA system for detection of N-ERC/mesothelin in the sera of mesothelioma patientsKazu Shiomi
Department of General Thoracic Surgery, Respiratory Medicine, Juntendo University, School of Medicine, 2 1 1 Hongo, Tokyo 113 8421, Japan
Cancer Sci 97:928-32. 2006..a novel enzyme-linked immunosorbent assay (ELISA) system for the detection of N-ERC/mesothelin in the serum of mesothelioma patients and have begun to examine its clinical usefulness...
- Identification of miRNA-103 in the cellular fraction of human peripheral blood as a potential biomarker for malignant mesothelioma--a pilot studyDaniel G Weber
Center of Molecular Medicine, Institute of Prevention and Occupational Medicine of the German Social Accident Insurance Institute of the Ruhr Universität Bochum IPA, Bochum, Germany
PLoS ONE 7:e30221. 2012To date, no biomarkers with reasonable sensitivity and specificity for the early detection of malignant mesothelioma have been described...
- The Bcl-2 repertoire of mesothelioma spheroids underlies acquired apoptotic multicellular resistanceD Barbone
Lung Biology Center, San Francisco General Hospital, University of California San Francisco, 1001 Potrero Avenue, San Francisco, CA 94110, USA
Cell Death Dis 2:e174. 2011..We used spheroids of cell lines and actual tumor to study resistance to the proteasome inhibitor bortezomib in mesothelioma, a highly chemoresistant tumor...
- CDKN2A, NF2, and JUN are dysregulated among other genes by miRNAs in malignant mesothelioma -A miRNA microarray analysisMohamed Guled
Department of Pathology, Haartman Institute and HUSLAB, University of Helsinki and Helsinki University Central Hospital, Helsinki, Finland
Genes Chromosomes Cancer 48:615-23. 2009Malignant mesothelioma (MM) is an aggressive cancer arising from mesothelial cells, mainly due to former asbestos exposure. Little is known about the microRNA (miRNA) expression of MM...
- Germline BAP1 mutations predispose to malignant mesotheliomaJoseph R Testa
Cancer Biology Program, Fox Chase Cancer Center, Philadelphia, Pennsylvania, USA
Nat Genet 43:1022-5. 2011Because only a small fraction of asbestos-exposed individuals develop malignant mesothelioma, and because mesothelioma clustering is observed in some families, we searched for genetic predisposing factors...
- Randomized phase III study of cisplatin with or without raltitrexed in patients with malignant pleural mesothelioma: an intergroup study of the European Organisation for Research and Treatment of Cancer Lung Cancer Group and the National Cancer Institute Jan P van Meerbeeck
Thoracic Oncology Unit, University Hospital 7K12IE, De Pintelaan 185, B 9000 Ghent, Belgium
J Clin Oncol 23:6881-9. 2005..a phase III trial to determine whether first-line treatment with raltitrexed, a thymidine synthase inhibitor, and cisplatin results in superior outcome compared with cisplatin alone in patients with malignant pleural mesothelioma (MPM).
- Vorinostat/SAHA-induced apoptosis in malignant mesothelioma is FLIP/caspase 8-dependent and HR23B-independentJane L Hurwitz
Centre for Cancer Research and Cell Biology, School of Medicine, Dentistry and Biomedical Science, Queen s University Belfast, Northern Ireland, UK
Eur J Cancer 48:1096-107. 2012Malignant pleural mesothelioma (MPM) is a rapidly fatal malignancy that is increasing in incidence. The caspase 8 inhibitor FLIP is an anti-apoptotic protein over-expressed in several cancer types including MPM...
- Asbestos, lung cancers, and mesotheliomas: from molecular approaches to targeting tumor survival pathwaysNicholas H Heintz
Department of Pathology, University of Vermont College of Medicine, 89 Beaumont Avenue, Burlington, VT 05405 0068, USA
Am J Respir Cell Mol Biol 42:133-9. 2010..An understanding of the pathogenic features of asbestos fibers and dysregulation of signaling pathways allows strategies for the prevention and therapy of asbestos-related diseases...
- High blood neutrophil-to-lymphocyte ratio is an indicator of poor prognosis in malignant mesothelioma patients undergoing systemic therapySteven C H Kao
Department of Medical Oncology, Sydney Cancer Centre, Australia
Clin Cancer Res 16:5805-13. 2010Asbestos-induced chronic inflammation is implicated in the pathogenesis of malignant mesothelioma (MM)...
- Malignant mesothelioma: facts, myths, and hypothesesMichele Carbone
University of Hawaii Cancer Center, University of Hawaii, Honolulu, Hawaii 96813, USA
J Cell Physiol 227:44-58. 2012Malignant mesothelioma (MM) is a neoplasm arising from mesothelial cells lining the pleural, peritoneal, and pericardial cavities. Over 20 million people in the US are at risk of developing MM due to asbestos exposure...
- Guidelines for pathologic diagnosis of malignant mesothelioma: 2012 update of the consensus statement from the International Mesothelioma Interest GroupAliya N Husain
Department of Pathology, University of Chicago, Chicago, IL 60637, USA
Arch Pathol Lab Med 137:647-67. 2013Malignant mesothelioma (MM) is an uncommon tumor that can be difficult to diagnose.
- SV40 multiple tissue infection and asbestos exposure in a hyperendemic area for malignant mesotheliomaManola Comar
Department of Public Medicine Sciences, University of Trieste, Trieste, Italy
Cancer Res 67:8456-9. 2007To assess the presence of SV40 in malignant mesothelioma tissue, 19 formalin-fixed paraffin-embedded pleural cancer samples of patients from a hyperendemic area of northeastern Italy were analyzed retrospectively...
- Soluble mesothelin-related Peptide and osteopontin as markers of response in malignant mesotheliomaPaul Wheatley-Price
Princess Margaret Hospital, Toronto, Ontario, Canada
J Clin Oncol 28:3316-22. 2010In malignant mesothelioma (MM), radiologic assessment of disease status is difficult. Both soluble mesothelin-related peptide (SMRP) and osteopontin (OP) have utility in distinguishing MM from benign pleural disease...
- A diagnosis of malignant pleural mesothelioma can be made by effusion cytology: results of a 20 year auditAmanda Segal
PathWest Laboratory Medicine WA, Queen Elizabeth II Medical Centre, Perth, Australia
Pathology 45:44-8. 2013Cytological diagnosis of malignant pleural mesothelioma (MPM) is controversial, but has been used in our institution for over 30 years...
- Immunotherapies for non-small-cell lung cancer and mesotheliomaAnish Thomas
Medical Oncology Branch, Center for Cancer Research, National Cancer Institute, National Institutes of Health, Bethesda, MD 20892, USA
Lancet Oncol 13:e301-10. 2012Non-small-cell lung cancer and mesothelioma are thoracic malignancies, which in their advanced stages are incurable and have poor prognosis...
- Early detection of malignant pleural mesothelioma in asbestos-exposed individuals with a noninvasive proteomics-based surveillance toolRachel M Ostroff
Clinical Research, SomaLogic Inc, Boulder, Colorado, United States of America
PLoS ONE 7:e46091. 2012Malignant pleural mesothelioma (MM) is an aggressive, asbestos-related pulmonary cancer that is increasing in incidence...
- Statistical validation of the EORTC prognostic model for malignant pleural mesothelioma based on three consecutive phase II trialsDean A Fennell
Lung Cancer and Mesthelioma Unit, Department of Oncology, and the Institute of Cell and Molecular Science Pathology, St Bartholomew s Hospital, London, United Kingdom
J Clin Oncol 23:184-9. 2005Malignant pleural mesothelioma (MPM) carries a poor prognosis due to chemoresistance. The European Organisation for Research and Treatment of Cancer (EORTC) prognostic model was reported to predict survival in MPM...
- Cancer cell secretion of the DAMP protein HMGB1 supports progression in malignant mesotheliomaSandro Jube
University of Hawai i Cancer Center, John A Burns School of Medicine, University of Hawai i, Honolulu, Hawaii 96813, USA
Cancer Res 72:3290-301. 2012Human malignant mesothelioma is an aggressive and highly lethal cancer that is believed to be caused by chronic exposure to asbestos and erionite...
- Extra-pleural pneumonectomy versus no extra-pleural pneumonectomy for patients with malignant pleural mesothelioma: clinical outcomes of the Mesothelioma and Radical Surgery (MARS) randomised feasibility studyTom Treasure
Department of Mathematics, Clinical Operational Research Unit, University College London, London, UK
Lancet Oncol 12:763-72. 2011..effects of extra-pleural pneumonectomy (EPP) on survival and quality of life in patients with malignant pleural mesothelioma have, to our knowledge, not been assessed in a randomised trial...
- Occupational, domestic and environmental mesothelioma risks in the British population: a case-control studyC Rake
Institute of Cancer Research, Sutton, Surrey, UK
Br J Cancer 100:1175-83. 2009We obtained lifetime occupational and residential histories by telephone interview with 622 mesothelioma patients (512 men, 110 women) and 1420 population controls...
- Mammalian target of rapamycin contributes to the acquired apoptotic resistance of human mesothelioma multicellular spheroidsDario Barbone
Lung Biology Center, San Francisco General Hospital, University of California, San Francisco, California 94110, USA
J Biol Chem 283:13021-30. 2008..We developed a multicellular spheroid model of malignant mesothelioma to investigate molecular mechanisms of acquired apoptotic resistance...
- Humoral immune response to mesothelin in mesothelioma and ovarian cancer patientsMitchell Ho
Laboratory of Molecular Biology, Center for Cancer Research, National Cancer Institute, NIH, Bethesda, Maryland, USA
Clin Cancer Res 11:3814-20. 2005..Mesothelin is a differentiation antigen that is highly expressed on mesothelioma, ovarian cancer, and pancreatic cancer...
- The NF2 tumor suppressor gene product, merlin, inhibits cell proliferation and cell cycle progression by repressing cyclin D1 expressionGuang Hui Xiao
Human Genetics Program, Fox Chase Cancer Center, Philadelphia, Pennsylvania 19111, USA
Mol Cell Biol 25:2384-94. 2005....
- Predictions of mortality from pleural mesothelioma in Italy: a model based on asbestos consumption figures supports results from age-period-cohort modelsAlessandro Marinaccio
Epidemiology Unit, Occupational Medicine Department, National Institute for Occupational Safety and Prevention, Rome, Italy
Int J Cancer 115:142-7. 2005..We have used primary pleural cancer mortality figures (1970-1999) to predict mortality from mesothelioma among Italian men in the next 30 years by age-cohort-period models and by a model based on asbestos consumption ..
- The expected burden of mesothelioma mortality in Great Britain from 2002 to 2050J T Hodgson
Epidemiology and Medical Statistics Unit, Health and Safety Executive, Magdalen House, Trinity Road, Bootle, Merseyside L20 3QZ, UK
Br J Cancer 92:587-93. 2005The British mesothelioma register contains all deaths from 1968 to 2001 where mesothelioma was mentioned on the death certificate. These data were used to predict the future burden of mesothelioma mortality in Great Britain...
- Onconase mediated NFKβ downregulation in malignant pleural mesotheliomaC M Goparaju
New York University Medical Center, Department of Cardiothoracic Surgery, New York, NY 10016, USA
Oncogene 30:2767-77. 2011Treatment of malignant pleural mesothelioma (MPM) with Ranpirnase (Onconase) results in disruption of protein translation and cell apoptosis...
- The expression of CXCR4, CXCL12 and CXCR7 in malignant pleural mesotheliomaTong Li
Thoracic Oncology Laboratory, Department of Surgery, Comprehensive Cancer Center, University of California, San Francisco, CA 94143, USA
J Pathol 223:519-30. 2011..We investigated the expression of CXCR4, CXCL12, and CXCR7 in malignant pleural mesothelioma to determine if they are possible biomarkers and potential therapeutic targets...
- Serum soluble mesothelin concentrations in malignant pleural mesothelioma: relationship to tumor volume, clinical stage and changes in tumor burdenJenette Creaney
National Research Centre for Asbestos Related Diseases, School of Medicine and Pharmacology, University of Western Australia, Sir Charles Gairdner Hospital, Nedlands, Western Australia, Australia
Clin Cancer Res 17:1181-9. 2011To examine the clinical utility of soluble mesothelin in patients with malignant pleural mesothelioma.
- Cul4A is an oncogene in malignant pleural mesotheliomaMing Szu Hung
Thoracic Oncology Laboratory, Department of Surgery, Comprehensive Cancer Center, University of California, San Francisco, CA 94115, USA
J Cell Mol Med 15:350-8. 2011Cullin 4A (Cul4A) is important in cell survival, development, growth and the cell cycle, but its role in mesothelioma has not been studied...
- Mechanisms of FUS1/TUSC2 deficiency in mesothelioma and its tumorigenic transcriptional effectsAlla V Ivanova
Hematology Oncology Division, Vanderbilt Medical Center, Nashville, TN, USA
Mol Cancer 8:91. 2009..The goal of this study was to analyze possible involvement of TUSC2 in malignant pleural mesothelioma (MPM) - an aggressive inflammatory cancer associated with exposure to asbestos.
- Sorafenib inhibits ERK1/2 and MCL-1(L) phosphorylation levels resulting in caspase-independent cell death in malignant pleural mesotheliomaSharyn I Katz
Laboratory of Molecular Oncology and Cell Cycle Regulation, Department of Medicine Hematology Oncology, University of Pennsylvania School of Medicine, Philadelphia, PA, USA
Cancer Biol Ther 8:2406-16. 2009Malignant pleural mesothelioma (MPM) is an aggressive, rapidly progressive malignancy without effective therapy...
- COX-2 inhibition improves immunotherapy and is associated with decreased numbers of myeloid-derived suppressor cells in mesothelioma. Celecoxib influences MDSC functionJoris D Veltman
Department of Pulmonary Medicine, Erasmus MC Rotterdam, The Netherlands
BMC Cancer 10:464. 2010..In addition, we determined if dietary celecoxib treatment leads to refinement of immunotherapeutic strategies...
- Mesothelin-family proteins and diagnosis of mesotheliomaBruce W S Robinson
University Department of Medicine, University of Western Australia, Queen Elizabeth II Medical Centre, Western Australia, Perth, Australia
Lancet 362:1612-6. 2003b>Mesothelioma is a highly aggressive tumour for which there are no reliable serum tumour markers...
- Guidelines of the European Respiratory Society and the European Society of Thoracic Surgeons for the management of malignant pleural mesotheliomaA Scherpereel
Dept of Pulmonary and Thoracic Oncology, Hopital Calmette, CHRU of Lille, 59037 Lille Cedex, France
Eur Respir J 35:479-95. 2010Malignant pleural mesothelioma (MPM) is a rare tumour but with increasing incidence and a poor prognosis...
- Asbestos exposure, pleural mesothelioma, and serum osteopontin levelsHarvey I Pass
Department of Surgery, Wayne State University, Karmanos Cancer Institute, John A Dingell Veterans Hospital, Detroit, Mich, USA
N Engl J Med 353:1564-73. 2005We investigated the presence of osteopontin in pleural mesothelioma and determined serum osteopontin levels in three populations: subjects without cancer who were exposed to asbestos, subjects without cancer who were not exposed to ..
- Programmed necrosis induced by asbestos in human mesothelial cells causes high-mobility group box 1 protein release and resultant inflammationHaining Yang
Cancer Research Center of Hawaii, John A Burns School of Medicine, University of Hawaii, Honolulu, HI 96813, USA
Proc Natl Acad Sci U S A 107:12611-6. 2010..Chemopreventive approaches aimed at inhibiting the chronic inflammatory response, and especially blocking HMGB1, may decrease the risk of malignant mesothelioma among asbestos-exposed cohorts.
- Plasma versus serum levels of osteopontin and mesothelin in patients with malignant mesothelioma--which is best?Jenette Creaney
National Research Centre for Asbestos Related Diseases, School of Medicine and Pharmacology, University of Western Australia, Sir Charles Gairdner Hospital, 4th Floor, G Block, Verdun St, Nedlands, WA 6009, Australia
Lung Cancer 74:55-60. 2011Blood-based markers for malignant mesothelioma (MM), particularly soluble mesothelin and osteopontin, are currently of great clinical interest...
- A novel targeting therapy of malignant mesothelioma using anti-podoplanin antibodyShinji Abe
Central Office for Clinical Pharmacy Training, Institute of Health Biosciences, University of Tokushima Graduate School, Tokushima 770 8503, Japan
J Immunol 190:6239-49. 2013..which is a type I transmembrane sialomucin-like glycoprotein, is highly expressed in malignant pleural mesothelioma (MPM)...
- The threshold length for fiber-induced acute pleural inflammation: shedding light on the early events in asbestos-induced mesotheliomaAnja Schinwald
MRC University of Edinburgh, Centre for Inflammation Research, Queen s Medical Research Institute, 47 Little France Crescent, Edinburgh EH16 4TJ, United Kingdom
Toxicol Sci 128:461-70. 2012..pleura has important implications for understanding the structure-toxicity relationship for asbestos-induced mesothelioma and consequent risk assessment with the aim to contribute to the engineering of synthetic nanofibers by the ..
- Dose-dependent mesothelioma induction by intraperitoneal administration of multi-wall carbon nanotubes in p53 heterozygous miceAtsuya Takagi
Division of Cellular and Molecular Toxicology, Biological Safety Research Center, National Institute of Health Sciences, Tokyo, Japan
Cancer Sci 103:1440-4. 2012..until the terminal kill had microscopic atypical mesothelial hyperplasia considered as a precursor lesion of mesothelioma. Right beneath was a mononuclear cell accumulation consisting of CD45- or CD3-positive lymphocytes and CD45/CD3-..
- Combined serum mesothelin and plasma osteopontin measurements in malignant pleural mesotheliomaAlfonso Cristaudo
Department of Endocrinology and Metabolism, Orthopedics and Traumatology, Occupational Medicine, University of Pisa, Italy
J Thorac Oncol 6:1587-93. 2011Malignant pleural mesothelioma (MPM) is a lethal tumor related to asbestos exposure. At present, the only instruments for screening and diagnosis are based on radiological tests, posing evident economic and radio-protectionist problems...
- Validation of prognostic factors in malignant pleural mesothelioma: a retrospective analysis of data from patients seeking compensation from the New South Wales Dust Diseases BoardSteven C Kao
Asbestos Diseases Research Institute, Sydney, New South Wales, Australia
Clin Lung Cancer 14:70-7. 2013We aimed to examine the prognostic values of established risk factors and to validate the prognostic value of the neutrophil-to-lymphocyte ratio (NLR) in an independent series of patients with malignant pleural mesothelioma (MPM).
- Malignant mesothelioma: global incidence and relationship with asbestosClaudio Bianchi
Center for the Study of Environmental Cancer, Italian League Against Cancer, Hospital of Monfalcone, Italy
Ind Health 45:379-87. 2007b>Mesothelioma incidence varies markedly from one country to another. The highest annual crude incidence rates (about 30 cases per million) are observed in Australia, Belgium, and Great Britain...
- High prevalence of serum antibodies reacting with simian virus 40 capsid protein mimotopes in patients affected by malignant pleural mesotheliomaElisa Mazzoni
Sections of Cell Biology and Molecular Genetics and Microbiology, University of Ferrara, 44121 Ferrara, Italy
Proc Natl Acad Sci U S A 109:18066-71. 2012Human malignant pleural mesothelioma (MPM) is considered a rare tumor, but recent estimations indicate that one-quarter million people will die of this neoplasm in Europe in the next three decades...
- Megakaryocyte potentiating factor as a tumor marker of malignant pleural mesothelioma: evaluation in comparison with mesothelinKota Iwahori
Department of Respiratory Medicine, Allergy, and Rheumatic Diseases, Osaka University Graduate School of Medicine, 2 2 Yamada oka, Suita, Osaka 565 0871, Japan
Lung Cancer 62:45-54. 2008An early and reliable blood test is one deficiency in diagnosis of malignant pleural mesothelioma (MPM)...
- Hyaluronan production increases the malignant properties of mesothelioma cellsY Li
Department of Medical Biochemistry and Microbiology, Biomedical Center, Uppsala University, Box 575S 751 23 Uppsala, Sweden
Br J Cancer 85:600-7. 2001..of mesotheliomas, we have expressed murine hyaluronan synthase 2 (HAS2) in the non-hyaluronan producing mesothelioma cell line, Mero-25...
- Oncolytic measles viruses encoding interferon beta and the thyroidal sodium iodide symporter gene for mesothelioma virotherapyH Li
Department of Molecular Medicine, Mayo Clinic, Rochester, MN 55905, USA
Cancer Gene Ther 17:550-8. 2010b>Mesothelioma usually leads to death within 8-14 months of diagnosis...
- Molecular pathways: targeting mechanisms of asbestos and erionite carcinogenesis in mesotheliomaMichele Carbone
University of Hawaii Cancer Center, John A Burns School of Medicine, University of Hawaii, Honolulu, Hawaii, USA
Clin Cancer Res 18:598-604. 2012Malignant mesothelioma is an aggressive malignancy related to asbestos and erionite exposure. AP-1 transcriptional activity and the NF-κB signaling pathway have been linked to mesothelial cell transformation and tumor progression...
- Eradication of intraperitoneal and distant tumor by adenovirus-mediated interferon-beta gene therapy is attributable to induction of systemic immunityM Odaka
Thoracic Oncology Research Laboratory, Division of Pulmonary, Allergy, and Critical Care Medicine, University of Pennsylvania Medical Center, Philadelphia, Pennsylvania 19104, USA
Cancer Res 61:6201-12. 2001Malignant mesothelioma remains an incurable disease for which immune-modulatory therapies, such as exogenous cytokines, have shown some promise...
- Primary pleural angiosarcoma as a mimicker of mesothelioma: a case report **VS**Yu Chien Kao
Department of Pathology, Wan Fang Hospital, Taipei Medical University, Taiwan
Diagn Pathol 6:130. 2011..The clinical and radiological features both resemble those of mesothelioma, and its definite diagnosis requires careful histologic examination...
- Association of MiR-126 with soluble mesothelin-related peptides, a marker for malignant mesotheliomaLory Santarelli
Department of Molecular Pathology and Innovative Therapies, Polytechnic University of Marche, Ancona, Italy
PLoS ONE 6:e18232. 2011Improved detection methods for diagnosis of malignant pleural mesothelioma (MPM) are essential for early and reliable detection as well as treatment...
- A trial of intrapleural adenoviral-mediated Interferon-α2b gene transfer for malignant pleural mesotheliomaDaniel H Sterman
Division of Pulmonary, Allergy and Critical Care Medicine, University of Pennsylvania Medical Center, Philadelphia, 19104 4283, USA
Am J Respir Crit Care Med 184:1395-9. 2011New therapeutic strategies are needed for malignant pleural mesothelioma (MPM)...
- Comparison of osteopontin, megakaryocyte potentiating factor, and mesothelin proteins as markers in the serum of patients with malignant mesotheliomaJenette Creaney
National Research Centre for Asbestos Related Diseases, Western Australian Institute of Medical Research, School of Medicine and Pharmacology, University of Western Australia, Sir Charles Gairdner Hospital, Nedlands, Australia
J Thorac Oncol 3:851-7. 2008There is increasing interest in identifying a blood-based marker for the asbestos-related tumor, malignant mesothelioma. Three potential markers for mesothelioma are mesothelin, megakaryocyte potentiating factor (MPF) and osteopontin...
- A conditional mouse model for malignant mesotheliomaJohan Jongsma
Department of Molecular Genetics, Cancer Genomics Centre, Centre for Biomedical Genetics, Netherlands Cancer Institute, Plesmanlaan 121, 1066 CX Amsterdam, The Netherlands
Cancer Cell 13:261-71. 2008Malignant mesothelioma is a devastating disease that has been associated with loss of Neurofibromatosis type 2 (NF2) and genetic lesions affecting RB and P53 pathways...
- Targeting alpha7-nicotinic receptor for the treatment of pleural mesotheliomaAlessia Catassi
Lung Cancer Unit, National Cancer Research Institute, 16032 Genoa, Italy
Eur J Cancer 44:2296-311. 2008Human malignant pleural mesothelioma (MPM) is a dreadful disease and there is still no standard therapy available for a consistent therapeutic approach...
- Pro-tumorigenic effects of miR-31 loss in mesotheliomaSergey V Ivanov
Department of Otolaryngology, Vanderbilt School of Medicine, Nashville, Tennessee 37232, USA
J Biol Chem 285:22809-17. 2010..Malignant mesothelioma (MM) of pleura is an aggressive and highly lethal cancer resistant to conventional therapies...
- Utility of osteopontin and serum mesothelin in malignant pleural mesothelioma diagnosis and prognosis assessmentBogdan Dragos Grigoriu
Institut National de la Sante et de la Recherche Medicale INSERM U774, Institut Pasteur de Lille, Lille, France
Clin Cancer Res 13:2928-35. 2007Malignant mesothelioma is a highly aggressive tumor and is often diagnosed too late for a curative treatment...
- Wnt pathway activation in mesothelioma: evidence of Dishevelled overexpression and transcriptional activity of beta-cateninKazutsugu Uematsu
Thoracic Oncology Laboratory, Department of Medicine, University of California San Francisco Cancer Center, San Francisco, CA 94115, USA
Cancer Res 63:4547-51. 2003Malignant pleural mesothelioma is a relatively uncommon and yet incurable tumor. The pathogenesis of mesothelioma remains poorly understood. This study evaluated the role of Wnt signaling in mesothelioma...
- Pleural and peritoneal mesotheliomas in SEER: age effects and temporal trends, 1973-2005Suresh H Moolgavkar
Exponent Inc, Bellevue, WA, USA
Cancer Causes Control 20:935-44. 2009We analyzed mesothelioma incidence in the Surveillance, Epidemiology, and End Results (SEER) database over the period 1973-2005 using extensions of the age-period-cohort (APC) models...
- Thymidylate synthase but not excision repair cross-complementation group 1 tumor expression predicts outcome in patients with malignant pleural mesothelioma treated with pemetrexed-based chemotherapyLuisella Righi
University of Torino, Division of Pathology, Thoracic Oncology, and Thoracic Surgery, Department of Clinical and Biological Sciences at San Luigi Hospital, Orbassano, Italy
J Clin Oncol 28:1534-9. 2010The relationship between thymidylate synthase (TS) expression and outcome in patients with malignant pleural mesothelioma (MPM) treated with pemetrexed (P) was retrospectively evaluated.
- Phase I trial of continuous infusion anti-mesothelin recombinant immunotoxin SS1PRobert J Kreitman
Laboratory of Molecular Biology, Center for Cancer Research, National Cancer Institute, NIH, Bethesda, Maryland 20892 4264, USA
Clin Cancer Res 15:5274-9. 2009..To conduct a phase I trial of recombinant immunotoxin SS1P given by continuous infusion in chemoresistant solid tumors expressing mesothelin...
- Clinical impact and reliability of pleural fluid mesothelin in undiagnosed pleural effusionsHelen E Davies
Oxford Centre for Respiratory Medicine, University of Oxford, Oxford, UK
Am J Respir Crit Care Med 180:437-44. 2009Serum mesothelin is a new biomarker for the diagnosis of mesothelioma. Patients with mesothelioma commonly present with pleural effusions...
- Advances in the biology of malignant pleural mesotheliomaP A Zucali
Department of Medical Oncology, Istituto Clinico Humanitas, Via Manzoni 56, 20089 Rozzano, Milan, Italy
Cancer Treat Rev 37:543-58. 2011Malignant pleural mesothelioma is a highly aggressive cancer with a very poor prognosis...
- Inflammation-based prognostic indices in malignant pleural mesotheliomaDavid James Pinato
Department of Investigative Sciences, Imperial College London, Hammersmith Campus, London, UK
J Thorac Oncol 7:587-94. 2012Chronic inflammation plays a key role in the pathogenesis of malignant pleural mesothelioma (MPM) as a result of asbestos exposure...
- The development and characterization of a human mesothelioma in vitro 3D model to investigate immunotoxin therapyXinran Xiang
Laboratory of Molecular Biology, Center for Cancer Research, National Cancer Institute, National Institutes of Health, Bethesda, Maryland, United States of America
PLoS ONE 6:e14640. 2011..SS1P is an immunotoxin composed of the Fv portion of a mesothelin-specific antibody fused to a bacterial toxin that is presently undergoing clinical trials in mesothelioma.
- Napsin A and thyroid transcription factor-1 expression in carcinomas of the lung, breast, pancreas, colon, kidney, thyroid, and malignant mesotheliomaJustin A Bishop
Department of Pathology, The Johns Hopkins Medical Institutions, Baltimore, MD 21231, USA
Hum Pathol 41:20-5. 2010..The combined use of napsin A and thyroid transcription factor-1 results in improved sensitivity and specificity for identifying pulmonary adenocarcinoma in primary lung tumors and in a metastatic setting...
- Biopersistent fiber-induced inflammation and carcinogenesis: lessons learned from asbestos toward safety of fibrous nanomaterialsHirotaka Nagai
Department of Pathology and Biological Responses, Nagoya University Graduate School of Medicine, 65 Tsurumai Cho, Showa Ku, Nagoya 466 8550, Aichi, Japan
Arch Biochem Biophys 502:1-7. 2010..g. malignant mesothelioma and lung cancer) is largely unknown...
- Mechanisms of asbestos-induced carcinogenesisShinya Toyokuni
Department of Pathology and Biological Responses, Nagoya University Graduate School of Medicine, Nagoya 466 8550, Japan
Nagoya J Med Sci 71:1-10. 2009Respiratory exposure to asbestos fibers has been associated with diffuse malignant mesothelioma (DMM) in humans...
- LATS2 is a tumor suppressor gene of malignant mesotheliomaHideki Murakami
Division of Molecular Oncology, Aichi Cancer Center Research Institute, Nagoya, Japan
Cancer Res 71:873-83. 2011Malignant mesothelioma (MM) is an aggressive neoplasm associated with asbestos exposure. We carried out genome-wide array-based comparative genomic hybridization analysis with 14 MM cell lines...
- A novel small-molecule inhibitor of transforming growth factor beta type I receptor kinase (SM16) inhibits murine mesothelioma tumor growth in vivo and prevents tumor recurrence after surgical resectionEiji Suzuki
Thoracic Oncology Research Laboratory, University of Pennsylvania, 421 Curie Boulevard, Philadelphia, PA 19104, USA
Cancer Res 67:2351-9. 2007Malignant mesothelioma is an aggressive and lethal pleural cancer that overexpresses transforming growth factor beta (TGFbeta)...
- A meta-analysis of asbestos-related cancer risk that addresses fiber size and mineral typeD Wayne Berman
Aeolus, Inc, Albany, California 94706 1026, USA
Crit Rev Toxicol 38:49-73. 2008Quantitative estimates of the risk of lung cancer or mesothelioma in humans from asbestos exposure made by the U.S...
- Vermiculite, respiratory disease, and asbestos exposure in Libby, Montana: update of a cohort mortality studyPatricia A Sullivan
Field Studies Branch, Division of Respiratory Disease Studies, National Institute for Occupational Safety and Health, 1095 Willowdale Road, Morgantown, WV 26505, USA
Environ Health Perspect 115:579-85. 2007..Asbestos-contaminated Libby vermiculite was used in loose-fill attic insulation that remains in millions of homes in the United States, Canada, and other countries...
- Malignant pleural mesothelioma: current treatments and emerging drugsCarmen Belli
San Raffaele Scientific Institute, Oncology Department, 60 Olgettina Street, Milan 20132, Italy
Expert Opin Emerg Drugs 14:423-37. 2009Malignant pleural mesothelioma (MPM) is an uncommon disease whose incidence is increasing worldwide over the past 30 years. Surgical resection and radiotherapy represent the standard treatment in patient with resectable MPM...
- YAP1 is involved in mesothelioma development and negatively regulated by Merlin through phosphorylationToshihiko Yokoyama
Division of Molecular Oncology, Aichi Cancer Center Research Institute, 1 1 Kanokoden, Chikusa ku, Nagoya 464 8681, Japan
Carcinogenesis 29:2139-46. 2008..YAP1-RNA interference suppressed growth of a mesothelioma cell line NCI-H290 with NF2 homozygous deletion, probably through cell-cycle arrest and apoptosis induction, ..
- Diffuse intra-abdominal clear cell myomelanocytic tumor: report of an unusual presentation of "PEComatosis" simulating peritoneal mesotheliomaTiziana Salviato
Department of Anatomic Pathology, City Hospital, I 35013 Cittadella, Italy
Ann Diagn Pathol 10:352-6. 2006..of diffuse myomelanocytic tumor of the peritoneum that simulates, clinically and instrumentally, a malignant mesothelioma. The patient was a 70-year-old woman with a history of ancient hysterectomy for fibroids, who presented with ..
- Placenta growth factor expression has prognostic value in malignant pleural mesotheliomaEugenio Pompeo
Department of Thoracic Surgery, Tor Vergata University, Rome, Italy
Ann Thorac Surg 88:426-31. 2009Malignant pleural mesothelioma is highly aggressive and recurs rapidly despite radical multimodality treatment...
- Receptor EphA2 activation with ephrinA1 suppresses growth of malignant mesothelioma (MM)Najmunnisa Nasreen
Division of Pulmonary and Critical Care Medicine, Department of Medicine, University of Florida, P O Box 100225, Gainesville, FL, USA
Cancer Lett 258:215-22. 2007..was to understand the possible mechanisms of activation of receptor EphA2 by its ligand ephrinA1 in malignant mesothelioma cell (MMC) growth. Activation of receptor EphA2 by its ligand ephrinA1 triggered the phosphorylation of EphA2...
- Multimodality strategies in malignant pleural mesotheliomaWalter Weder
Division of Thoracic Surgery, University Hospital Zurich, Zurich, Switzerland
Semin Thorac Cardiovasc Surg 21:172-6. 2009Over the last decade, several improvements have been made in the diagnosis and treatment of malignant pleural mesothelioma, including better understanding of tumor biology, availability of more potent chemotherapeutic drugs, improved ..
- Malignant peritoneal mesothelioma: a multicenter study on 81 casesV de Pangher Manzini
Division of Medical Oncology, Department of Internal Medicine and Oncology, Monfalcone Hospital, Monfalcone, Italy
Ann Oncol 21:348-53. 2010Malignant peritoneal mesothelioma (MPM) is a rare disease characterized by a difficult diagnosis, different types of presentation, variable course and poor prognosis.
- A diagnostic assay based on microRNA expression accurately identifies malignant pleural mesotheliomaHila Benjamin
Rosetta Genomics Ltd, 10 Plaut St, Rehovot 76706, Israel
J Mol Diagn 12:771-9. 2010The definitive identification of malignant pleural mesothelioma (MPM) has significant clinical implications, yet other malignancies often involve the lung pleura, confounding the diagnosis of MPM...
- Phase II clinical trial of first or second-line treatment with bortezomib in patients with malignant pleural mesotheliomaDean A Fennell
Department of Cancer Studies and Molecular Medicine, University of Leicester, Leicester, United Kingdom
J Thorac Oncol 7:1466-70. 2012Based on promising preclinical efficacy of bortezomib in mesothelioma, a single-arm phase II trial (Ireland Cooperative Oncology Research Group 05-10 study), with Simon's two-stage design, was undertaken to assess efficacy of bortezomib ..
- Global mesothelioma deaths reported to the World Health Organization between 1994 and 2008Vanya Delgermaa
Department of Environmental Epidemiology, Institute of Industrial Ecological Sciences, University of Occupational and Environmental Health, Iseigaoka 1 1, Yahatanishiku, Kitakyushu City, Fukuoka Prefecture 807 8555, Japan
Bull World Health Organ 89:716-24, 724A-724C. 2011To carry out a descriptive analysis of mesothelioma deaths reported worldwide between 1994 and 2008.
- The influence of platinum pathway polymorphisms on the outcome in patients with malignant mesotheliomaN Erculj
Pharmacogenetics Laboratory, Institute of Biochemistry, Faculty of Medicine, University of Ljubljana, Ljubljana, Slovenia
Ann Oncol 23:961-7. 2012Platinum-based therapy is widely used in the treatment of malignant mesothelioma (MM); however, the efficacy and toxicity of platinum agents vary greatly between patients...
- Projection of mesothelioma mortality in Britain using Bayesian methodsE Tan
Health and Safety Laboratory, Harpur Hill, Buxton, Derbyshire SK17 9JN, UK
Br J Cancer 103:430-6. 2010b>Mesothelioma mortality has increased more than ten-fold over the past 40 years in Great Britain, with >1700 male deaths recorded in the British mesothelioma register in 2006...
- Epigenetic silencing of microRNA-34b/c plays an important role in the pathogenesis of malignant pleural mesotheliomaTakafumi Kubo
Departments of Cancer and Thoracic Surgery, Cell Biology, Gastroenterological Surgery, Transplant, and Surgical Oncology, Urology, and Cellular Physiology, Okayama, Japan
Clin Cancer Res 17:4965-74. 2011Malignant pleural mesothelioma (MPM) is an aggressive tumor with a dismal prognosis. Unlike other malignancies, TP53 mutations are rare in MPM...
- Malignant pleural mesothelioma: a population-based study of survivalMichael T Milano
Department of Radiation Oncology, University of Rochester Medical Center, Rochester, New York 14642, USA
J Thorac Oncol 5:1841-8. 2010This study characterizes the overall survival (OS) and variables affecting OS in patients with malignant pleural mesothelioma.
- Blocking of ERK1 and ERK2 sensitizes human mesothelioma cells to doxorubicinArti Shukla
Department of Pathology, University of Vermont College of Medicine, 89 Beaumont Avenue, Burlington, VT 05405, USA
Mol Cancer 9:314. 2010..Using the MEK1/2 inhibitor, U0126 and stably transfected shERK1 and shERK2 MM cell lines, we show that inhibition of both ERK1 and 2 sensitizes MM cells to Dox...
- Identification of cancer stem cell markers in human malignant mesothelioma cellsFarhana Ishrat Ghani
Division of Clinical Immunology, Institute of Medical Science, University of Tokyo, Tokyo, Japan
Biochem Biophys Res Commun 404:735-42. 2011Malignant mesothelioma (MM) is an aggressive and therapy-resistant neoplasm arising from the pleural mesothelial cells and usually associated with long-term asbestos exposure...
- A multicentre phase II study of cisplatin and gemcitabine for malignant mesotheliomaA K Nowak
Department of Medical Oncology, Sir Charles Gairdner Hospital, Verdun Street, Nedlands, WA 6009 Australia
Br J Cancer 87:491-6. 2002Our previous phase II study of cisplatin and gemcitabine in malignant mesothelioma showed a 47.6% (95% CI 26.2-69.0%) response rate with symptom improvement in responding patients...
- Lung Toxicity of Carbon Nanotubes in Models of Pre-Existing Respiratory DiseaseJAMES CHRISTOPHER BONNER; Fiscal Year: 2010..similar to asbestos, a fiber that is linked with the development of pulmonary fibrosis (tissue scarring) and mesothelioma (a rare cancer on the pleural surface of the lung)...
- Mechanisms of Asbestos-Induced Alveolar Epithelial Cell InjuryDavid W Kamp; Fiscal Year: 2013..causes asbestosis (pulmonary fibrosis secondary to asbestos) and malignancies (bronchogenic carcinoma and mesothelioma) by mechanisms that are not fully elucidated...
- Mesothelioma inhibition by secoisolariciresinol diglucoside (SDG)Melpo Christofidou-Solomidou; Fiscal Year: 2013..Exposure to asbestos fibers has been linked to the development of malignant mesothelioma (MM) and lung cancer (LC);however, the pathogenesis of asbestos-related diseases is complicated and still ..
- EphB4 as Novel Target for Breast Cancer ImagingPETER STEPHEN CONTI; Fiscal Year: 2012..is also significantly over-expressed in melanoma, prostate cancer, colon cancer, bladder cancer, lung cancer, mesothelioma, uterine cancer, and osteosarcoma...
- Inflammasomes in pathogenesis of mesotheliomaArti Shukla; Fiscal Year: 2013..damage lung mesothelial cells which triggers a compensatory proliferative response, inflammation, and malignant mesothelioma (MM)...
- Genetic Susceptibility to Nanoparticle-Induced Respiratory DiseaseJAMES CHRISTOPHER BONNER; Fiscal Year: 2013..similar to asbestos, a fiber that is linked with the development of pulmonary fibrosis (tissue scarring) and mesothelioma (a rare cancer on the pleural surface of the lung)...
- MSKCC Center for Molecular Imaging in CancerSTEVEN MARK LARSON; Fiscal Year: 2013..In Vivo Brain Imaging of Glioblastoma Multiforme;DP-B Imaging mesothelin chimeric receptor T-cell targeting in mesothelioma);and, 3 Specialized Resources (SRs;Chemistry &Radiochemistry, Gene Transfer and Quantitative Imaging)...
- Investigation of the Role of BAP1 in Normal and Malignant HematopoiesisLINDSAY MARIE LAFAVE; Fiscal Year: 2013..will be relevant in other cancer contexts where BAP1 mutations are quite prevalent, such as uveal melanoma, mesothelioma, and renal cell carcinoma...
- Role of the Oxidative Stress Pathway in Drug ResistanceRandy Strich; Fiscal Year: 2009..supported by the findings that the Hscyclin C locus (CCNC) is deleted in diverse tumor types including breast, mesothelioma and osteosarcoma...
- The Role of Cul4A in Genome Stability and Cancer DevelopmentLiang You; Fiscal Year: 2013..our preliminary study, we have identified frequent Cul4A amplification and overexpression in malignant pleural mesothelioma cell lines and tumors...
- The Role of HMGB1 in the Pathogenesis of MesotheliomaHaining Yang; Fiscal Year: 2013..Finally, we will determine the effects of HMGB1 and HMGB1 inhibitors on the migration, invasion and colony formation of MM cells and assess the potential of inhibiting HMGB1 for MM therapy. ..
- Targeted liposomal radiotherapy of malignant mesotheliomaJiang He; Fiscal Year: 2011b>Mesothelioma, a malignancy associated with occupational exposure to asbestos is a devastating disease without attractive therapies...
- Alpha Folate Receptor Mediated GARFTase Inhibitors as Selective Antitumor AgentsAleem Gangjee; Fiscal Year: 2010..expression of the FR-alpha on the surface of a number of tumors including ovarian, endometrial, kidney, lung, mesothelioma, breast and brain and FR-beta on the surface of myeloid leukemia has prompted the development of folic acid and ..
- Impact of uracil DNA glycosylase on lung cancer cell sensitivity to pemetrexedLACHELLE DAWN WEEKS; Fiscal Year: 2013..Pemetrexed is an antifolate used in the treatment of human lung cancers and mesothelioma. The success of pemetrexed regimens is influenced by dose-limiting myelosuppression and the development of ..
- The Role of p21-Activated Kinases in Malignant MesotheliomaJoseph R Testa; Fiscal Year: 2013DESCRIPTION (provided by applicant): Malignant Mesothelioma (MM) is a relatively common, rapidly progressive and treatment-resistant malignancy that is associated with exposure to asbestos...
- Translational Research Training in Environmental MedicineWilliam N Rom; Fiscal Year: 2013..dust, allergens, asbestos, and tobacco, with environmental pulmonary diseases (asthma, fibrosis, lung cancer, mesothelioma) and intriguing disease-precursor lesions...
- Therapeutic Targeting of Novel Antifolates to Solid Tumors via Folate ReceptorSHERMAINE KIMBERLY MITCHELL; Fiscal Year: 2013..Pemetrexed (Pmx, Alimta) was approved in 2004 for treating non-small cell lung cancer and mesothelioma. While Pmx shows antitumor activity, this agent lacks tumor selectivity and induces toxicity...
- Improving Vaccinia for Peritoneal Tumors: Enhanced Distribution &Immune EvasionDavid L Bartlett; Fiscal Year: 2013..Novel treatments are warranted for peritoneal surface malignancies (including colon, ovarian, appendiceal, and mesothelioma)...
- Tumorigenic Role of the CUL4A Ubiquitin LigasePengbo Zhou; Fiscal Year: 2013..ubiquitin ligase gene is frequently amplified and/or overexpressed in breast cancer, hepatocellular carcinoma, mesothelioma and many other tumor types...
- The Epidemiology of Molecular Alterations in MesotheliomaKARL TIMOTHY KELSEY; Fiscal Year: 2012DESCRIPTION (provided by applicant): Exposure to asbestos has long been associated with pleural mesothelioma. The mode of action of asbestos in inducing mesothelioma, however, remains to be completely described, and relatively little is ..
- Vevo 2100 Ultrasound SystemLisa Marie Coussens; Fiscal Year: 2012..visualization of organs throughout the abdomen, needed for detecting and monitoring pancreatic tumors and mesothelioma. The Doppler components (pulsed wave and power) will permit visualization of the vasculature of a tissue and ..
- Mesothelin as a biomarker for clinical management of esophageal adenocarcinomaLaura Tang; Fiscal Year: 2013..Increased SMRP levels are demonstrated in mesothelioma, pancreatic and ovarian cancer patients...
- Libby Epidemiology Research ProgramRaja M Flores; Fiscal Year: 2013..increased rates of asbestosis and pleural scarring, increased mortality from asbestosis, lung cancer and mesothelioma, and an increase in the prevalence of autoimmune antibody abnormalities and diagnosed systemic autoimmune ..
- Mesothelin as biomarker and therapeutic targetINGEGERD E HELLSTROM; Fiscal Year: 2011..OvC, the information obtained should be relevant also for other tumors that overexpress mesothelin, including mesothelioma and pancreatic carcinoma...
- Augmenting Chimeric Antibody Receptor Directed T cell Therapy for CancerEdmund K Moon; Fiscal Year: 2013..He is currently conducting research in adoptive T cell immunotherapy for malignant pleural mesothelioma (MPM), a deadly asbestos-related pleural malignancy for which treatment options remain limited...
- Identifying antigens bound by novel scFvs targeting all subtypes of mesotheliomaBin Liu; Fiscal Year: 2013..The objective of this proposal is to establish the molecular identities of a panel of internalizing mesothelioma cell surface antigens that are bound by a panel of novel internalizing human single chain antibodies (scFvs) ..
- Immuno/Immuno-Gene Therapies for Thoracic MalignanciesSTEVEN MARK ALBELDA; Fiscal Year: 2013..of a translational P01 whose continuing goal is to develop and test novel therapies for malignant pleural mesothelioma (MPM) within the structure of a highly interactive multi-disciplinary group that moves from "bench-to-bedside" ..
- The North American Mesothelioma ConsortiumHarvey Ira Pass; Fiscal Year: 2013DESCRIPTION (provided by applicant): Malignant Pleural Mesothelioma (MM) is an asbestos-related malignancy which is detected at an advanced stage when curative options are not feasible...
- Validation of Prognostic and Diagnostic molecular tests in MesotheliomaRaphael Bueno; Fiscal Year: 2013DESCRIPTION (provided by applicant): Malignant pleural mesothelioma (MPM) is a rare but deadly malignancy...
- Targeted Development of Platinum DrugsZahid H Siddik; Fiscal Year: 2013..playing significant roles in the cancer management strategy of a number of cancers, including ovarian cancer, mesothelioma and non-small cell lung cancer...
- Pathogenesis of mesotheliomaMichele Carbone; Fiscal Year: 2010DESCRIPTION (provided by applicant): Asbestos is the most important cause of malignant mesothelioma (MM.) in the industrialized world...
- ENVIRONMENTAL ASBESTOS AND MESOTHELIOMA IN CALIFORNIAMarc Schenker; Fiscal Year: 2001..study will examine whether environmental asbestos deposits in California are associated with increased rates of mesothelioma, a rare cancer of the pleura and peritoneum that occurs almost solely as a result of asbestos exposure...
- PROTECTIVE ROLE OF APOPTOSIS IN ASBESTOS PLEURAL INJURYV Broaddus; Fiscal Year: 2001DESCRIPTION: Pleural mesothelial cells, the progenitor of the asbestos-induced tumor mesothelioma, undergo apoptosis when exposed to asbestos...
- Repiratory Health and Community Asbestos ExposureBruce Alexander; Fiscal Year: 2007Asbestos is a known causal factor for lung cancer, asbestosis, and mesothelioma. These associations are well established in occupationally exposed populations, however the risks at lower environmental exposures are not clear...
- Inhalation Dosimetry/Exposure Index of Fiber AerosolYung Sung Cheng; Fiscal Year: 2006..airborne asbestos and man-made vitreous fibers (MMVFS) increase the incidence of lung cancer, asbestosis, and mesothelioma. Fibers that deposit in the bronchial and alveolar regions, subsequently translocating to the parenchyma, are ..
- CLINICAL AND CLASSICAL EPIDEMIOLOGY IN ONCOLOGYJames Talcott; Fiscal Year: 1991..case control study of asbestos-containing cigarettes as a risk factor for the development of malignant mesothelioma. This proposal is abased on a recently completed cohort study showing very high mortality in men who made the ..
- MOLECULAR GENETIC ALTERATIONS IN MALIGNANT MESOTHELIOMAJOSEPH TESTA; Fiscal Year: 2006..Overall, these studies are expected to provide insights regarding mechanisms by which specific TSGs contribute to the pathogenesis of MM and delineate potential avenues for therapeutic intervention. ..
- CANCER AMONG HOUSEHOLD CONTACTS OF ASBESTOS WORKERSHenry Anderson; Fiscal Year: 1980The increased cancer risk (lung, pleural, mesothelioma and colon) associated with direct occupational exposure to asbestos has been well documented...
- INTRAPERITONEAL GEMCITABINE--PHASE I & PARMACOKINETICSElizabeth Poplin; Fiscal Year: 1999..carcinomatosis arising from ovary and pancreas cancer, primary peritoneal carcinomatosis, or possibly mesothelioma. The specific aims of the proposed investigation are: (1) To determine the MTD of IP gemcitabine, when given ..
- CDK INHIBITORS AND RESPONSE TO DHAC IN MESOTHELIOMARobert Kratzke; Fiscal Year: 2001DESCRIPTION: (adapted from the investigator's abstract) Mesothelioma is a largely incurable disease for which no effective systemic treatment exists...
- SHIPYARD ASBESTOS DISEASE: MORTALITY EXPERIENCEIrving Selikoff; Fiscal Year: 1980..factory workers, miners and millers), with special reference to total mortality, lung cancer, pleural mesothelioma, peritoneal mexothelioma, gastrointestinal cancer, oropharyngeal and laryngeal cancer renal cancer and ..
- SV40 sequences in human tumors: analysis & biologic*Michele Carbone; Fiscal Year: 2006..We are investigating if SV40 contributes to the development of human mesothelioma, a very aggressive tumor of the pleura whose incidence continues to increase...
- Lentiviral engineered T cell immunotherapy in tumors overexpressing mesothelinBoro Dropulic; Fiscal Year: 2006..Mesothelin is a tumor associated antigen and a promising target in mesothelioma, ovarian, squamous cell cancers of head and neck, cervical, esophageal, pancreatic and many non-small cell lung ..
- SV40-LIKE SEQUENCES IN HUMAN TUMORS ANALYSESMichele Carbone; Fiscal Year: 2001..3) Study if the expression of viral sequences can be used to develop new diagnostic approaches for mesothelioma and osteosarcoma patients...
- Targeting BCL-XL Expression in MesotheliomaW Smythe; Fiscal Year: 2006Malignant mesothelioma is an example of a solid tumor extremely unresponsive to conventional therapy, with few patients surviving for more than 12 months regardless of treatment...
- Role of a novel oncogene in mesotheliomaAlice Boylan; Fiscal Year: 2007unreadable] DESCRIPTION (provided by applicant): The occupational cancer malignant mesothelioma is newly diagnosed in up to 3,000 persons per year in the US and most of these patients will die within 12 months of diagnosis regardless of ..
- EXPERIMENTAL ASBESTOS-INDUCED MESOTHELIOMAJOHN CRAIGHEAD; Fiscal Year: 1992..factors elicited by the macrophages of the granuloma and their effect on presumptive progenitor cells of the mesothelioma. The outcome of these studies will support or refute the hypothesis that pro-growth substances stimulate their ..
- Phase 1 Trial of Anti-Mesothelin Chimeric ImmunoreceptorChristina Chu; Fiscal Year: 2007..with chemotherapy-refractory advanced ovarian, primary peritoneal, and pancreatic cancer, as well as peritoneal mesothelioma, We plan to administer a single dose of transduced autologous T cells either intravenously or intraperitoneally ..
- SOUTHWEST ONCOLOGY GROUPCraig Nichols; Fiscal Year: 2003..in the treatment of tumors such as alveolar soft part sarcoma metastatic to lung, retroperitoneal sarcomas and mesothelioma of the pleura, the genetics of hematopoietic growth factors, bone marrow transplantation, and gene therapy. 4...
- Gene Ratio Based Prognosis in MesotheliomaRaphael Bueno; Fiscal Year: 2004DESCRIPTION (provided by applicant) Malignant pleural mesothelioma (MPM) is a lethal malignancy of the pleura for which there is little effective therapy and overall survival remains dismal...
- REGULATION OF CELL GROWTH BY THE WILMS TUMOR GENEZhao Yi Wang; Fiscal Year: 2002..A number of mutations to the wt1 gene have been identified in subsets of Wilms tumor, mesothelioma, ovarian tumor and acute myeloid leukemia, suggesting that dysfunction of WT1 may be important in many tumors...
- RENAL, VASCULAR AND PULMONARY STRUCTURE IN DISEASEJACOB CHURG; Fiscal Year: 1980..The nature and the structure of diffuse desmoplastic mesothelioma will be investigated; also ultrastructure of clear cell chondrosarcoma of bone.
- Mesothelioma Virtual Bank for Translational ResearchMichael Becich; Fiscal Year: 2007unreadable] DESCRIPTION (provided by applicant): The proposed Mesothelioma Virtual Bank (MVB) for Translational Research will create and maintain infrastructure to support a national virtual patient registry and tissue bank...
- Microarray-based genotyping for studying susceptibility to mesotheliomaStefano Landi; Fiscal Year: 2007unreadable] DESCRIPTION (provided by applicant): Asbestos-exposed people are at high risk to develop pleural mesothelioma (PM)...
- OCCUPATIONAL CANCER SURVEILLANCE: NEW APPROACHESG Swanson; Fiscal Year: 1992..workplace risk for eleven cancer sites: lung and bronchus, urinary bladder, colon, rectum, stomach, esophagus, mesothelioma, eye, salivary glands, liver, and melanoma of the skin...
- LIGHT PROBE FOR TREATMENT OF MALIGNANT MESOTHELIOMAJEROME KREMEN; Fiscal Year: 1999..The new probe will be adapted to the promising new treatment of malignant mesothelioma. PROPOSED COMMERCIAL APPLICATION: The applications of this probe lie in treatment of large area malignacies ..
- AN AUTOCRINE BASIS EPITHELIAL GROWTH AND NEOPLASIAJAMES RHEINWALD; Fiscal Year: 1992..b>Mesothelioma and oral and esophageal squamous cell carcinoma are important clinically because they are usually diagnosed at ..
- Standard Database for CT Lung ImagesSamuel Armato; Fiscal Year: 2006..The ideas resented in this proposal are expected to stimulate the efforts of the Consortium toward that goal. ..
- Computerized Analysis of Mesothelioma on CT ScansSamuel Armato; Fiscal Year: 2009..This specific study will focus on one particular pleural-based disease, malignant pleural mesothelioma. Radiologists must inspect the anatomic region between the lungs and the chest wall or the mediastinum on CT ..
- COMPUTER AIDED DIAGNOSIS IN CT OF THE THORAXSamuel Armato; Fiscal Year: 2004....
- Diagnosis and prognosis of lung cancer using gene ratiosGAVIN GORDON; Fiscal Year: 2004..Specific Aim 4. To develop software for the expression ratio test and to design a form summarizing the results of the diagnostic test kit to clinicians and health care personnel. ..
- CANCER AND LEUKEMIA GROUP BDavid Sugarbaker; Fiscal Year: 2002..Three stages of group development are described: (1) surgeon recruitment phase; (2) patient recruitment phase (educational activities about adjuvant therapy trials. etc.); and (3) protocol development phase (intellectual activities). ..
- Role of Cell Mediators in Asbestos-SV40 CarcinogenesisMichele Carbone; Fiscal Year: 2009Our hypothesis is that asbestos and SV40 are co-carcinogens in causing malignant mesothelioma (MM). This hypothesis is based on in vitro experiments using human mesothelial cells (HM) and in vivo experiments in hamsters...