Genomes and Genes
Summary: A group of carcinomas which share a characteristic morphology, often being composed of clusters and trabecular sheets of round "blue cells", granular chromatin, and an attenuated rim of poorly demarcated cytoplasm. Neuroendocrine tumors include carcinoids, small ("oat") cell carcinomas, medullary carcinoma of the thyroid, Merkel cell tumor, cutaneous neuroendocrine carcinoma, pancreatic islet cell tumors, and pheochromocytoma. Neurosecretory granules are found within the tumor cells. (Segen, Dictionary of Modern Medicine, 1992)
Publications276 found, 100 shown here
- Large cell neuroendocrine carcinoma of the urinary bladder with lymphoepithelioma-like featuresPavel Dundr
Department of Pathology, 1st Medical Faculty, Charles University, Prague, Czech Republic
Pathol Res Pract 199:559-63. 2003..undifferentiated carcinoma, giant cell carcinoma, lymphoepithelioma-like carcinoma (LELC), and large cell neuroendocrine carcinoma (LCNEC)...
- Neuroendocrine carcinomas (carcinoid, atypical carcinoid, small cell carcinoma, and large cell neuroendocrine carcinoma): current conceptsCesar A Moran
Department of Pathology, University of Texas M D Anderson Cancer Center, Unit 85, 1515 Holcombe, Houston, TX 77030, USA
Hematol Oncol Clin North Am 21:395-407; vii. 2007..Close clinical correlation and appropriate treatment are important to improve the survival rate in this group of patients...
- Invasive neuroendocrine carcinoma of the breast: a distinctive subtype of aggressive mammary carcinomaBing Wei
Department of Pathology, West China Hospital, Sichuan University, Chengdu, China
Cancer 116:4463-73. 2010b>Neuroendocrine carcinoma (NEC) of the breast, a pathologic entity newly defined in the 2003 World Health Organization classification of tumors, is a rare type of tumor that is not well recognized or studied...
- Neuroendocrine differentiation and prognosis in breast adenocarcinomaA Miremadi
Department of Histopathology, Nottingham City Hospital, Nottingham, UK
Histopathology 40:215-22. 2002..To date there are few detailed studies examining its relevance in breast carcinoma. In this study we evaluate the frequency and prognostic importance of neuroendocrine differentiation in breast adenocarcinoma...
- Diffuse pancreatic serous cystadenoma associated with neuroendocrine carcinoma: a case report and review of literatureNitin Agarwal
Department of Surgery, University College of Medical Sciences, Guru Teg Bahadur Hospital, Delhi, India
JOP 10:55-8. 2009..The management of these tumors poses a challenge due to their rarity and uncertain malignant potential. We report a case of diffuse serous cystadenoma associated with neuroendocrine carcinoma in a 35-year-old woman.
- DEK oncoprotein regulates transcriptional modifiers and sustains tumor initiation activity in high-grade neuroendocrine carcinoma of the lungT Shibata
Cancer Genomics Project, National Cancer Center Research Institute, Chuo Ku, Tokyo, Japan
Oncogene 29:4671-81. 2010..carcinoma show similar histological features and clinical behaviors, and can be classified as high-grade neuroendocrine carcinoma (HGNEC) of the lung...
- Primary small-cell neuroendocrine carcinoma of the breast: report of a caseSatoki Kinoshita
Department of Breast and Endocrine Surgery, Jikei University Kashiwa Hospital, 163 1 Kashiwashita, Kashiwa, Chiba, 277 8567, Japan
Surg Today 38:734-8. 2008Primary small-cell neuroendocrine carcinoma of the breast is a rare and aggressive neoplasm without an established treatment protocol because so few cases have been described...
- Large cell neuroendocrine carcinoma of prostate: a clinicopathologic summary of 7 cases of a rare manifestation of advanced prostate cancerAndrew J Evans
Department of Pathology and Laboratory Medicine, University Health Network, Mt Sinai Hospital, Toronto, Ontario, Canada
Am J Surg Pathol 30:684-93. 2006..LCNEC of prostate is a distinct clinicopathologic entity that typically manifests after long-term hormonal therapy for prostatic adenocarcinoma and likely arises through clonal progression under the selection pressure of therapy...
- Phase II trial of paclitaxel, carboplatin, and etoposide in advanced poorly differentiated neuroendocrine carcinoma: a Minnie Pearl Cancer Research Network StudyJohn D Hainsworth
Sarah Cannon Research Institute, Nashville, TN 37203, USA
J Clin Oncol 24:3548-54. 2006..To evaluate the efficacy of chemotherapy with paclitaxel, carboplatin, and etoposide in advanced adult poorly differentiated neuroendocrine carcinomas...
- Pulmonary large cell neuroendocrine carcinoma demonstrates high proliferative activityAkira Iyoda
Department of Thoracic Surgery, Chiba, Japan
Ann Thorac Surg 77:1891-5; discussion 1895. 2004In 1999, the World Health Organization classified large cell neuroendocrine carcinoma as a variant of large cell carcinoma and this has been categorized as lying between atypical carcinoid and small cell lung carcinoma in terms of ..
- High-grade neuroendocrine carcinoma arising in a gastric duplication cyst: a case report with literature reviewGarnet Horne
Departments of Pathology and Laboratory Medicine, University of Calgary, and Calgary Laboratory Services, Calgary, Alberta, Canada
Int J Surg Pathol 15:187-91. 2007..Herein, the authors report the first case of a high-grade neuroendocrine carcinoma arising in a gastric duplication cyst in a 40-year-old Asian male...
- Neuroendocrine differentiated carcinomas of the breast: a distinct entityOsman Zekioglu
Ege University School of Medicine Pathology Department, Bornova, Izmir 35100, Turkey
Breast 12:251-7. 2003Some primary carcinomas of the breast have been classified as neuroendocrine. In this paper we report on 12 cases of neuroendocrine carcinoma of the breast displaying common and uncommon histological features.
- Small cell neuroendocrine carcinoma of the cervix: outcome and patterns of recurrenceAkila N Viswanathan
Department of Radiation Oncology, Brigham and Women s Hospital, Boston, MA, USA
Gynecol Oncol 93:27-33. 2004..To analyze the sites of relapse and overall survival in women with neuroendocrine marker-positive small cell carcinoma of the cervix...
- A case of solid neuroendocrine carcinoma of the breast in a 40-year-old womanYasuhisa Fujimoto
Second Department of Surgery, Hyogo College of Medicine, Japan
Breast Cancer 14:250-3. 2007We report a case of neuroendocrine carcinoma in a 40-year-old woman who presented with two lumps in her left breast...
- Synchronous metastases to the liver and pancreas from a primary neuroendocrine carcinoma of the breast diagnosed by fine-needle aspirationMaria McIntire
Department of Pathology, Rush University Medical Center, Chicago, Illinois 60618, USA
Diagn Cytopathol 36:54-7. 2008Extrapulmonary neuroendocrine carcinoma is uncommon. Cases of primary neuroendocrine carcinoma of the breast have been reported, though rare...
- Large cell neuroendocrine carcinoma of the ampulla of vaterAlberto Cavazza
Department of Pathology, S Maria Nuova Hospital, Reggio Emilia, Italy
Arch Pathol Lab Med 127:221-3. 2003We report a large cell neuroendocrine carcinoma arising in the ampulla of Vater. The patient, a 74-year-old woman, presented with a 3-cm ulcerated mass located in the ampullary region. She died of disease 8 months after surgery...
- Prostatic metastasis of large cell neuroendocrine carcinoma of the lungJeong Hwan Yoo
Department of Internal Medicine, Bundang CHA Hospital, College of Medicine, Pochon CHA University, Seongnam City, Kyeonggi do 463 712, Korea
Respirology 14:772-5. 2009Large cell neuroendocrine carcinoma (LCNEC) of the lung is a rare and aggressive tumour with a poor prognosis. Lung cancer metastases to the prostate are also uncommon, and are usually found incidentally during autopsy...
- Neuroendocrine carcinoma of the uterine cervix: A clinicopathologic retrospective study of 31 cases with prognostic implicationsKung Liahng Wang
Department of Obstetrics and Gynecology, Mackay Memorial Hospital, Taiwan, ROC
J Chemother 18:209-16. 2006..There are two cases of atypical carcinoid tumor (ACT), four cases of large-cell neuroendocrine carcinoma (LCNEC), and 25 cases of small-cell neuroendocrine carcinoma (SCNEC)...
- Neuroendocrine carcinoma of unknown primary siteDavid R Spigel
Sarah Cannon Research Institute, Tennessee Oncology, PLLC, Nashville, TN, USA
Semin Oncol 36:52-9. 2009..Tumor grade/differentiation currently is an important determinant of the management of these patients, and therapy in the future will be based on a more precise knowledge of the unique biology of these tumors...
- Ectopic Cushing' syndrome caused by a neuroendocrine carcinoma of the mesenteryMathias Fasshauer
Division of Endocrinology and Nephrology, University of Leipzig, Philipp Rosenthalstr 27, 04103 Leipzig, Germany
BMC Cancer 6:108. 2006..Here, we report the first case of Cushing' syndrome caused by an ectopic ACTH-secreting neuroendocrine carcinoma of the mesentery...
- Cytokeratin 20-positive large cell neuroendocrine carcinoma of the colonTomoya Kato
Department of Pathology, Mito Medical Center, National Hospital Organization, Ibaraki, Japan
Pathol Int 55:524-9. 2005Herein is presented a case of cytokeratin (CK) 20-positive large cell neuroendocrine carcinoma of the colon, in which the tumor was clinically at stage IV and located in the ascending colon...
- Small cell neuroendocrine carcinoma of the nasal cavity and paranasal sinusesE Babin
Department of Otorhinolaryngology and Head and Neck Surgery, University Hospital, CHU Caen, Caen, France
J Laryngol Otol 120:289-97. 2006Small cell neuroendocrine carcinoma (SNEC) of the sinonasal tract is a rare disease.
- Primary large cell neuroendocrine carcinoma of the urinary bladderAndrew J Evans
Department of Pathology, University Health Network, University of Toronto, Ontario, Canada
Arch Pathol Lab Med 126:1229-32. 2002..We report a case of primary large cell neuroendocrine carcinoma of the bladder, with an admixed minor element of adenocarcinoma, in an 82-year-old man...
- Primary, pure, large-cell neuroendocrine carcinoma of the urinary bladderS Hailemariam
University of Zurich, Switzerland
Mod Pathol 11:1016-20. 1998..is the first case in the English-language literature of a primary, pure, undifferentiated large-cell neuroendocrine carcinoma of the urinary bladder...
- Large cell neuroendocrine carcinoma: an aggressive form of non-small cell lung cancerRichard J Battafarano
Department of Surgery, Division of Cardiothoracic Surgery, Washington University School of Medicine, St Louis, MO 63110, USA
J Thorac Cardiovasc Surg 130:166-72. 2005..The objective of this study was to report the outcome of surgical resection in patients with large cell neuroendocrine carcinomas...
- Primary large cell neuroendocrine carcinoma of the urinary bladderShusuke Akamatsu
Department of Urology, Nishi Kobe Medical Center, Kobe, Hyogo, Japan
Int J Urol 15:1080-3. 2008Large cell neuroendocrine carcinoma (LCNEC) of the urinary bladder is rare. It is a type of neuroendocrine carcinoma morphologically distinct from small cell carcinoma. We report here a case of primary LCNEC of the urinary bladder...
- Primary large cell neuroendocrine carcinoma of the urinary bladderKyung Hwa Lee
Department of Pathology, Chonnam National University Medical School, Gwangju, Korea
Pathol Int 56:688-93. 2006..In spite of three cycles of chemotherapy, the patient developed multiple metastases in the lung and liver 10 months postoperatively. LCNEC of the urinary bladder are uncommon entities, which have a possible fatal outcome...
- High-grade neuroendocrine carcinoma of the ampulla of vater: a clinicopathologic and immunohistochemical analysis of 14 casesHind Nassar
Department of Pathology, Memorial Sloan Kettering Cancer Center, New York, NY 10021, USA
Am J Surg Pathol 29:588-94. 2005We describe the clinical and pathologic features of 14 cases of high-grade neuroendocrine carcinoma (HGNEC) of the ampulla of Vater classified according to WHO classification of lung tumors into small cell carcinoma (SCC, 6 cases) and ..
- Ovarian neuroendocrine carcinoma, non-small cell type, associated with serous carcinomaYoo Duk Choi
Department of Pathology, Chonnam National University Medical School, 5 Hak dong, Dong Gu, Gwangju, 501 749, Republic of Korea
Gynecol Oncol 104:747-52. 2007b>Neuroendocrine carcinoma of the non-small cell type of the ovary is a rare aggressive tumor, interestingly associated with either a surface epithelial tumor or teratoma.
- Large cell neuroendocrine carcinoma of the parotid gland: case report and literature reviewPablo Casas
Service of Otorhinolaryngology, La Paz University Hospital, P o de la Castellana 261, 28046 Madrid, Spain
Auris Nasus Larynx 32:89-93. 2005..Only four cases of large cell neuroendocrine carcinoma (LCNEC) of the salivary gland have been communicated. All of them have involved the parotid gland...
- Immunohistochemical differential diagnosis between large cell neuroendocrine carcinoma and small cell carcinoma by tissue microarray analysis with a large antibody panelJun ichi Nitadori
Pathology Division, National Cancer Center Research Institute East, 6 5 1 Kashiwanoha, Kashiwa shi, Chiba 277 8577, Japan
Am J Clin Pathol 125:682-92. 2006To elucidate additional phenotypic differences between large cell neuroendocrine carcinoma (LCNEC) and small cell lung carcinoma (SCLC), we performed tissue microarray (TMA) analysis of surgically resected LCNEC and SCLC specimens...
- Small-cell neuroendocrine carcinoma of the prostate: are heterotransplants a better experimental model?Lluis A Lopez-Barcons
Stanley S Scott Cancer Center, Louisiana State University, Health Sciences Center, New Orleans, LA 70112, USA
Asian J Androl 12:308-14. 2010Small-cell neuroendocrine carcinoma of the prostate (SCNCP) is an uncommon type of prostate cancer. However, it is of clinical importance because it is one of the most aggressive tumors of the prostate with a very poor prognosis...
- Large-cell neuroendocrine carcinoma of the lung: a clinicopathologic study of eighteen cases and the efficacy of adjuvant treatment with octreotidePier Luigi Filosso
Department of Thoracic Surgery, San Giovanni Battista Hospital, University of Torino, Torino, Italy
J Thorac Cardiovasc Surg 129:819-24. 2005..This study was undertaken to evaluate the efficacy of a new adjuvant protocol with octreotide, alone or in combination with radiotherapy, in radically resected large cell neuroendocrine carcinomas of the lung...
- Clinical response of large cell neuroendocrine carcinoma of the lung to perioperative adjuvant chemotherapyHisashi Saji
Department of Thoracic Surgery and Oncology, Tokyo Medical University, Nishishinjuku, Shinjuku ku, Japan
Anticancer Drugs 21:89-93. 2010Patients with large cell neuroendocrine carcinoma (LCNEC) of the lung are considered to have poor prognosis. However, the benefit of adjuvant chemotherapy for these patients has not been established...
- Small cell neuroendocrine carcinoma of the breast: a report of three cases and review of the literatureT Adegbola
Department of Histopathology, University College Hospital, Galway, Republic of Ireland
J Clin Pathol 58:775-8. 2005Small cell neuroendocrine carcinoma of the breast is a rare tumour with less than 30 cases reported in the literature...
- Immunohistochemical characterization of a hepatic neuroendocrine carcinoma in a catPatricia Ferreira-Neves
Ecole Nationale Veterinaire d Alfort, Unité d Histologie et d Anatomie Pathologique, 7 Avenue du General de Gaulle, 94704 Maisons Alfort cedex, France
J Vet Diagn Invest 20:110-4. 2008..All these features were consistent with a hepatic neuroendocrine carcinoma and emphasized the importance of using a panel of antibodies to diagnose such rare tumors.
- Hepatobiliary neuroendocrine carcinoma in cats: a clinicopathologic, immunohistochemical, and ultrastructural study of 17 casesA K Patnaik
Department of Veterinary Pathology, The Animal Medical Center, 510 East 62nd Street, New York, NY 10021, USA
Vet Pathol 42:331-7. 2005Hepatobiliary neuroendocrine carcinoma was diagnosed in 17 cats in a period of 10 years. Seven tumors were of intrahepatic origin, one of which was a composite containing components of epithelial and neuroendocrine carcinoma...
- Large cell neuroendocrine carcinoma of the tongue base: case report of an unusual location with immunohistochemical analysisK Kusafuka
Pathology Division, Shizuoka Cancer Center Hospital and Research Institute, Sunto gun, Shizuoka 411 8777, Japan
Int J Oral Maxillofac Surg 38:296-9. 2009A case of large cell neuroendocrine carcinoma (LCNEC) of the tongue base is described. It was characterized by solid tumor nests with central necrosis and rosette formation resembling basaloid squamous cell carcinoma...
- Paclitaxel and carboplatin for large cell neuroendocrine carcinoma of the uterine cervixSiriwan Tangjitgamol
Gynecologic Oncology Unit, Department of Obstetrics and Gynecology, Bangkok Metropolitan Administration Medical College and Vajira Hospital, Bangkok, Thailand
J Obstet Gynaecol Res 33:218-24. 2007The prognosis of large cell neuroendocrine carcinoma (LCNEC) of the uterine cervix is generally poor despite multimodality of treatments...
- Immunohistochemical expression of somatostatin type 2A receptor in neuroendocrine carcinoma of uterine cervixHiroshi Kajiwara
Department of Pathology, Tokai University School of Medicine, 143 Shimokasuya, Isehara, Kanagawa 259 1193, Japan
Arch Gynecol Obstet 279:521-5. 2009..SSTR2A-positive neuroendocrine tumors may be treatable by SS analogues. Uterine cervical neuroendocrine carcinoma is generally associated with poor prognosis.
- High-grade neuroendocrine carcinoma of the lung shows increased thymidylate synthase expression compared to other histotypesTakashi Ibe
Division of Thoracic and Visceral Organ Surgery, Gunma University Graduate School of Medicine, Maebashi, Gunma, Japan
J Surg Oncol 102:11-7. 2010..Thymidylate synthase (TS) expression has been reported in various tumors, including non-small-cell lung carcinoma (NSCLC), but not in high-grade neuroendocrine (HGNE) carcinoma of the lung...
- Synchronous adenocarcinoma of the lung and neuroendocrine carcinoma of the ileumDaniel Reim
Int J Colorectal Dis 23:325-7. 2008
- Clinical characterization of pulmonary large cell neuroendocrine carcinoma and large cell carcinoma with neuroendocrine morphologyA Iyoda
Division of Pathology, Institute of Pulmonary Cancer Research, Chiba University School of Medicine, Chiba, Japan
Cancer 91:1992-2000. 2001..In 1999, the World Health Organization (WHO) categorized large cell neuroendocrine carcinoma as a variant of large cell carcinoma...
- [Ovarian neuroendocrine carcinoma associated with mucinous carcinoma and teratoma]Takeshi Hirasawa
Department of Obstetrics and Gynecology, School of Medicine, Tokai University, Oiso Hospital
Nihon Rinsho 62:973-8. 2004We experienced two rare case of ovarian neuroendocrine carcinoma (NEC); case 1, NEC associated with mucinous adenocarcinoma and dermoid cyst; case 2, NEC with mucinous cystadenoma...
- Mixed ovarian large cell neuroendocrine carcinoma, mucinous adenocarcinoma, and teratoma: a report of two cases and review of the literatureJacinthe Chenevert
Department of Pathology, Centre de recherche clinique et évaluative en oncologie, Centre Hospitalier Universitaire de Quebec, L Hôtel Dieu de Québec, Laval University, Quebec, Canada
Pathol Res Pract 205:657-61. 2009Large cell neuroendocrine carcinoma of the ovary is a rare recently established entity. Few cases have been reported in the literature, and they are usually associated with another type of surface epithelial tumor...
- Retrospective study of clinicopathologic features and prognosis of high-grade neuroendocrine carcinoma of the esophagusDipen M Maru
Department of Pathology, The University of Texas M D Anderson Cancer Center, Houston, TX 77030, USA
Am J Surg Pathol 32:1404-11. 2008Clinicopathologic features of esophageal neuroendocrine carcinoma (NEC), apart from those of small-cell carcinoma, have not been characterized...
- Cisplatin and etoposide as first-line chemotherapy for poorly differentiated neuroendocrine carcinoma of the hepatobiliary tract and pancreasSatoru Iwasa
Hepatobiliary and Pancreatic Oncology Division, National Cancer Center Hospital, Chuo Ku, Tokyo, Japan
Jpn J Clin Oncol 40:313-8. 2010..However, there were no prior reports limited to the hepatobiliary tract and pancreas as the primary sites...
- Establishment of a new cell line with neuronal differentiation derived from small cell neuroendocrine carcinoma of the maxillary sinusKazuma Noguchi
Department of Oral and Maxillofacial Surgery, Hyogo College of Medicine, Nishinomiya, Hyogo, Japan
Oncology 66:234-43. 2004It is well known that small cell neuroendocrine carcinoma (SNEC) arising at extrapulmonary sites has a poor prognosis and an interesting biological characterization...
- Imprint cytologic features of pulmonary large cell neuroendocrine carcinoma: Comparison with classic large cell carcinomaAkira Iyoda
Department of Thoracic Surgery, Graduate School of Medicine, Chiba University, 1 8 1 Inohana Chuo ku, Chiba 260 8670, Japan
Oncol Rep 11:285-8. 2004The World Health Organization (WHO) categorized large cell neuroendocrine carcinoma (LCNEC) as a variant of large cell carcinoma in 1999. However, cytologic features of these tumors have not yet been adequately characterized...
- Management of neuroendocrine differentiated breast carcinomaA Berruti
Oncologia Medica, Department of Clinical and Biological Sciences, University of Torino, Azienda Ospedaliera San Luigi, Regione Gonzole 10, 10043 Orbassano, Italy
Breast 13:527-9. 2004..Surgical resection of metastatic lesions can lead to a durable disease-free status. Serial evaluation of circulating chromogranin A is useful in the follow-up of these patients...
- Large cell neuroendocrine carcinoma of the gallbladder: long survival achieved by multimodal treatmentChigusa Shimono
Department of Radiology, Wakayama Medical University, 811 1 Kimiidera, Wakayama, Japan
Int J Clin Oncol 14:351-5. 2009Large cell neuroendocrine carcinoma of the gall-bladder is a rare disease in which the prognosis worsens with size...
- Ovarian large cell neuroendocrine carcinomaTakahiro Tsuji
Department of Reproductive Pathophysiology and Obstet Gynecology, Kagoshima University, Sakuragaoka, Kagoshima, Japan
J Obstet Gynaecol Res 34:726-30. 2008Ovarian large cell neuroendocrine carcinoma (LCNC) is a rare disease that is commonly associated with a surface epithelial and germ cell neoplasm component. A 46-year-old woman presented with a pelvic mass measuring 15 cm in diameter...
- Primary small cell neuroendocrine carcinoma of the nasal cavity after successful curative therapy of nasopharyngeal carcinoma: a case reportChien Heng Lin
Department of Medical Education and Research, Jen Ai Hospital Tali, Taichung, Taiwan
Kaohsiung J Med Sci 25:145-50. 2009..Small cell neuroendocrine carcinoma (SNEC) mainly occurs in the lung, and is rarely found in the head and neck region...
- Large cell/neuroendocrine carcinomaRussell Gollard
Cancer and Blood Specialists of Nevada, 58 N Pecos Road, Henderson, NV 89074, USA
Lung Cancer 69:13-8. 2010..We review treatment data, and suggest that as in more common types of lung cancer, multi-modality therapy may be the most promising course of treatment...
- Primary extra-ampullary duodenal neuroendocrine carcinoma in an adult maleAjay H Bhandarwar
Department of Surgery, St George s Hospital, Grant Medical College and Sir JJ Group of Hospitals, Mumbai, India
Dig Endosc 21:185-7. 2009A primary extra-ampullary duodenal neuroendocrine carcinoma was found in a 40-year-old man who presented with upper abdominal pain and weight loss...
- Primary large-cell neuroendocrine carcinoma of the scrotumAnton Maricic
Department of Urology, Clinical Hospital Center Rijeka, Rijeka, Croatia
Wien Klin Wochenschr 122:360-2. 2010..2 cm of normal skin. Examination of the specimen revealed a confined poorly differentiated large-cell neuroendocrine carcinoma with a metastasis to the inguinal lymph nodes...
- Primary neuroendocrine carcinoma of thymus: a rare cause of Cushing's syndromeRaman Arora
Department of Pathology, All India Institute of Medical Sciences, Ansari Nagar, New Delhi, India
Indian J Pathol Microbiol 53:148-51. 2010Thymomas constitute majority of the thymic neoplasms. In contrast, neuroendocrine tumors (carcinoid and neuroendocrine carcinoma) of thymus are extremely rare...
- Loss of cell cohesion in breast cytology as a characteristic of neuroendocrine carcinomaWeihua Tang
Department of Pathology, Wakayama Medical University, 811 1 Kimiidera, Wakayama City, Wakayama, 641 8509 Japan
Acta Cytol 46:835-40. 2002..To characterize a specific group of breast cancers displaying a scattered single cell pattern in cytology and correlate it with histologic and immunohistochemical findings...
- [A rare case of large cell neuroendocrine carcinoma of the thymus]Takahiro Haga
Department of Respirology, Graduate School of Medicine, Chiba University
Nihon Kokyuki Gakkai Zasshi 48:755-8. 2010..CT-guided percutaneous tumor biopsy demonstrated large cell neuroendocrine carcinoma of the thymus. He was referred to our hospital in August 2007...
- Gastric collision tumor of large cell neuroendocrine carcinoma and adenocarcinoma--a case reportKyu Yun Jang
Department of Pathology, Institute for Medical Science, Chonbuk National University Medical School, San 2 20 Geumam dong, Deokjin gu, Jeonju City, Jeonbuk 561 180, South Korea
Pathol Res Pract 206:387-90. 2010..The other lesion was a well-differentiated adenocarcinoma of early gastric cancer type IIa located adjacent mucosa of the main lesion. We diagnosed this lesion as gastric LCNEC concurrent with focal adenocarcinoma, collision type...
- Sinonasal neuroendocrine carcinoma in association with SIADHNilesh R Vasan
Department of Otorhinolaryngology, The University of Oklahoma Health Sciences Center, P O Box 26901, WP 1360, Oklahoma City, Oklahoma 73190, USA
Head Neck 26:89-93. 2004b>Neuroendocrine carcinoma (NEC) is a rare malignancy of the nasal cavity or paranasal sinuses. The syndrome of inappropriate ADH secretion (SIADH) has not been previously reported in association with this cancer.
- Large cell neuroendocrine carcinoma of the ampulla of vater: Report of a caseSo Sen Huang
Department of Surgery, Taichung Veterans General Hospital, Section 3, 160 Chung Kang Road, Taichung, Taiwan
Surg Today 36:1032-5. 2006Large cell neuroendocrine carcinoma in the ampulla of Vater is rare and very different from the common ampullary adenocarcinoma. A 59-year-old man was admitted with obstructive jaundice...
- Carcinosarcoma of the parotid gland: an unusual case with large-cell neuroendocrine carcinoma and rhabdomyosarcomaT Ueo
Department of Pathology, Faculty of Medicine, Oita University, Hasama machi, Oita, Japan
APMIS 113:456-64. 2005..The carcinomatous component consisted of large-cell neuroendocrine carcinoma (LCNEC), squamous cell carcinoma and adenocarcinoma not otherwise specified, while the sarcomatous ..
- Small cell carcinoma of the lung and large cell neuroendocrine carcinoma interobserver variabilityMichael A Den Bakker
Department of Pathology, Erasmus MC, PO Box 2040, 3000 CA, Rotterdam, The Netherlands
Histopathology 56:356-63. 2010To test the hypothesis that the published morphological criteria permit reliable segregation of small cell carcinoma of the lung (SCLC) and large cell neuroendocrine carcinoma (LCNEC) cases by determining the interobserver variation.
- Primary neuroendocrine carcinoma of the liver: an autopsy caseG Kaya
Institute of Pathology, University Hospital of Lausanne, Switzerland
Pathol Int 51:874-8. 2001An autopsy case of primary hepatic neuroendocrine carcinoma is described. A 72-year-old man had a large tumor mass measuring 22 cm in its greatest diameter and localized to the right, left and caudal lobes of the non-cirrhotic liver...
- Non-functional neuroendocrine carcinoma of the pancreas: incidence, tumor biology, and outcomes in 2,158 patientsJan Franko
Division of Surgical Oncology, University of Pittsburgh Medical Center, Pittsburgh, PA 15261, USA
J Gastrointest Surg 14:541-8. 2010..This population-based analysis evaluated the hypothesis that long-term survival benefit is greater with aggressive, rather than limited, surgical therapy...
- Gastric neuroendocrine carcinoma arising from heterotopic pancreatic tissueR Chetty
Department of Pathology, University Health Network and University of Toronto, Princess Margaret Hospital, 610 University Avenue, Room 312, Toronto, Ontario M5G 2M9, Canada
J Clin Pathol 57:314-7. 2004..There was no associated chronic atrophic gastritis or G cell hyperplasia. A discrete focus of high grade neuroendocrine carcinoma (grade 3) within the typical (grade 1) neuroendocrine tumour was also present...
- Progression on metastatic neuroendocrine carcinoma from a recurrent prolactinoma: a case reportM Sironi
Department of Pathology, Legnano General Hospital, Legnano, Milano, Italy
J Clin Pathol 55:148-51. 2002..Histology revealed a progression of adenohypophyseal prolactinoma on neuroendocrine carcinoma, with an increase in proliferating indexes and modification of hormone production...
- Large cell neuroendocrine carcinoma of the ovaryC F Lindboe
Department of Pathology, Sørlandet Sykehus HF, Kristiansand, Norway
APMIS 115:169-76. 2007Large cell neuroendocrine carcinoma of the ovary is a recently described tumour entity that is now included in the WHO classification of primary ovarian neoplasms...
- Gastric neuroendocrine carcinoma: clinicopathologic review and immunohistochemical study of E-cadherin and Ki-67 as prognostic markersYoon Jung Boo
Department of Surgery, Korea University College of Medicine, Seoul, Korea
J Surg Oncol 95:110-7. 2007Gastric neuroendocrine carcinoma (NEC) is an uncommon cancer of the stomach. The classification of NEC and its clinical behavior remains controversial, and prognostic markers and their therapeutic guidelines have not been clearly defined...
- Case report: neuroendocrine carcinoma of the gallbladder causing hyperinsulinaemic hypoglycaemiaJ E Ahn
Department of Radiology and Research Institute of Radiology, University of Ulsan College of Medicine, Asan Medical Center, Songpa Gu, Seoul, Republic of Korea
Clin Radiol 62:391-4. 2007
- High-grade neuroendocrine carcinoma of the lung: comparative clinicopathological study of large cell neuroendocrine carcinoma and small cell lung carcinomaLihua Sun
Diagnostic Pathology, Gunma University Graduate School of Medicine, National Nishigunma Hospital, Gunma, Japan
Pathol Int 59:522-9. 2009Large cell neuroendocrine carcinoma (LCNEC) and small cell lung carcinoma (SCLC) are high-grade neuroendocrine carcinomas...
- Is nonsmall cell type high-grade neuroendocrine carcinoma of the tubular gastrointestinal tract a distinct disease entity?Jinru Shia
Department of Pathology, Memorial Sloan Kettering Cancer Center, New York, NY 10021, USA
Am J Surg Pathol 32:719-31. 2008..small cell carcinoma of the gastrointestinal (GI) tract is well-recognized, nonsmall cell type high-grade neuroendocrine carcinoma (HGNEC) of this site remains undefined...
- Neuroendocrine carcinoma metastatic to the breastHelena Hwang
Department of Pathology, Northwestern University, Chicago, Illinois, USA
Breast J 14:201-2. 2008
- Small cell/neuroendocrine carcinoma may be a more common phenotype in advanced prostate cancerMasahiro Yashi
Urol Int 69:166-8. 2002
- CT findings of surgically resected large cell neuroendocrine carcinoma of the lung in 38 patientsYasuji Oshiro
Department of Radiology, University of Ryukyus School of Medicine, 207 Uehara, Nishihara cho, Okinawa Prefecture 903 0215, Japan
AJR Am J Roentgenol 182:87-91. 2004We sought to assess the CT features of surgically resected large cell neuroendocrine carcinoma of the lung.
- Neuroendocrine carcinoma arising within a retroperitoneal mature teratomaAlice L Scott
Department of Surgery, Lister Hospital, Stevenage, Hertfordshire, UK
Ann R Coll Surg Engl 92:W5-8. 2010..Histological analysis confirmed a mature teratoma of the retroperitoneum with neuroendocrine carcinoma arising within it. To our knowledge this is only the second reported case of its kind.
- [Syndrome of inappropriate antidiuretic hormone secretion disclosing a sinonasal neuroendocrine carcinoma: case report]P Rossi
Service de Médecine Interne de l Hôpital Nord, Chemin des Bourrely, 13105 Marseille France
Rev Med Interne 28:426-8. 2007We report a 74-year-old woman with histologically confirmed neuroendocrine carcinoma of the nasal cavity disclosing a syndrome of inappropriate antidiuretic hormone secretion (SIADH)...
- Primary large cell neuroendocrine carcinoma of the breast: radiologic and pathologic findingsJin Woo Kim
Department of Radiology, College of Medicine, Korea University Guro Hospital, Seoul, Korea
J Korean Med Sci 23:1118-20. 2008..The diagnosis of primary neuroendocrine carcinoma of the breast can only be made if nonmammary sites are confidently excluded or if an in situ component ..
- Thyroid as a target of metastases. A case of foregut neuroendocrine carcinoma with multiple abdominal metastases and a thyroid localization after 21 yearsFranco Mattavelli
Otorhinolaryngology Unit, Fondazione IRCCS Istituto Nazionale dei Tumori, Milan, Italy
Tumori 94:110-3. 2008..e., a medullary thyroid carcinoma. This case report is peculiar because of the multiple sites of abdominal relapses, the long time interval between relapses (21 years), and the positive outcome after surgical treatment...
- Primary neuroendocrine carcinoma of the vagina with Merkel cell carcinoma phenotypeNeil M Coleman
Department of Pathology, Baylor College of Medicine, Houston, TX 77030, USA
Am J Surg Pathol 30:405-10. 2006We describe a case of primary neuroendocrine carcinoma arising from the anterior vaginal wall of a 67-year-old woman. Primary neuroendocrine carcinoma of the vagina is a rare entity with only 25 previously reported cases in the literature...
- Carcinomatous meningitis occurring prior to a diagnosis of large cell neuroendocrine carcinoma of the uterine cervixS Kumar
J Postgrad Med 50:311-2. 2004
- Neuroendocrine carcinoma of the thymus gland with sternal invasionRoman Dutta
Department of Surgical Disciplines, All India Institute of Medical Sciences, New Delhi, India
Interact Cardiovasc Thorac Surg 8:694-6. 2009Large-cell neuroendocrine carcinoma of the thymus is a rare cancer that is more aggressive than other thymic epithelial tumors with poorer prognosis...
- Metastasis of a caecal neuroendocrine carcinoma to the thyroid glandG Papi
J Clin Pathol 58:1342-3. 2005
- High-grade neuroendocrine carcinoma of the cervix. A case reportC Baykal
SSK Ankara Maternity Hospital, Hacettepe University School of Medicine, Ankara, Turkey
Gynecol Obstet Invest 59:207-11. 2005..As in our case some of the tumors cannot be defined exactly into small or large cell types, and this causes confusion at least for nomenclature purposes. A 'mixed' type for this tumor may be appropriate...
- Cancer-associated retinopathy in neuroendocrine carcinoma of the fallopian tubeAnitha Raghunath
Department of Ophthalmology, The University of Texas M D Anderson Cancer Center, Houston, Texas 77030, USA
J Neuroophthalmol 30:252-4. 2010..At 15 months following diagnosis, her ophthalmic status was stable. This is the first report of CAR in neuroendocrine carcinoma of the fallopian tube.
- Neuroendocrine carcinoma of the prostate glandRonald J Cohen
Pathology 37:326-7. 2005
- Large-cell neuroendocrine carcinoma of the uterine cervix--a clinicopathological study of five casesH Rhemtula
Department of Obstetrics and Gynaecology, University of the Witwatersrand, Johannesburg
S Afr Med J 91:525-8. 2001OBJECTIVE: The present study describes 5 cases of large-cell neuroendocrine carcinoma (LCNEC) of the uterine cervix, evaluating their clinical features and pathological profiles...
- Large-cell neuroendocrine carcinoma of the lungFelix G Fernandez
Department of Surgery, Division of Cardiothoracic Surgery, Washington University School of Medicine, St Louis, MO 63110, USA
Cancer Control 13:270-5. 2006Large-cell neuroendocrine carcinoma (LCNEC) of the lung displays morphologic and immunohistochemical characteristics common to neuroendocrine tumors and morphologic features of large-cell carcinomas...
- Combined large cell neuroendocrine carcinoma and adenocarcinoma of the gallbladderKatsuaki Sato
Department of Pathophysiological and Experimental Pathology, Kanazawa Medical University, 1 1 Daigaku, Uchinada, Ishikawa 920 0293, Japan
Pathol Res Pract 206:397-400. 2010Large cell neuroendocrine carcinoma (LCNEC) is a high-grade malignant neuroendocrine tumor that was first defined in the lungs...
- Primary coexistent neuroendocrine carcinoma, hepatoid adenocarcinoma, and tubular adenocarcinoma of the stomach with focal trophoblastic differentiation in metastatic lymph nodesTatsuya Okamoto
J Gastroenterol 38:608-10. 2003
- Large-cell neuroendocrine carcinoma of the uterine cervix complicating pregnancyWilliam W H Li
Department of Obstetrics and Gynaecology, Queen Elizabeth Hospital, 30 Gascoigne Road, Kowloon, Hong Kong
Hong Kong Med J 15:69-72. 2009..The patient received concurrent chemotherapy and radiation after termination of pregnancy and remained in complete remission 21 months after completion of treatment...
- Large cell neuroendocrine carcinoma of the lung: a 10-year clinicopathologic retrospective studyMassimiliano Paci
Division of Thoracic Surgery, Department of Pathology, Santa Maria Nuova Hospital, Reggio Emilia, Italy
Ann Thorac Surg 77:1163-7. 2004Large cell neuroendocrine carcinoma is a recently recognized histologic entity whose clinical features and optimal treatment have not yet been well defined and are still being assessed...
- Large cell neuroendocrine carcinoma of the lung: a clinicopathologic study of eighty-seven casesHidefumi Takei
Clinical Laboratory Division and Thoracic Surgery Division, National Cancer Center Hospital, 1 1 Tsukiji 5 chome, Chuo Ku, Tokyo 104 0045, Japan
J Thorac Cardiovasc Surg 124:285-92. 2002Large cell neuroendocrine carcinoma of the lung is a newly recognized clinicopathologic entity. The clinical characteristics and optimal treatment of patients with large cell carcinomas are not yet established...
- Large cell neuroendocrine carcinoma: an unusual presentationAnthony L Estrera
Department of Cardiovascular Surgery, University of Texas at Houston Medical School, USA
Ann Thorac Surg 73:1957-60. 2002Primary lung cancer presenting as a pulmonary artery mass is unusual. We describe such a presentation in a patient with a large cell neuroendocrine carcinoma of the lung, its evaluation, and its treatment.
- Large cell neuroendocrine carcinoma of the lung: a retrospective analysis of 144 surgical casesGiulia Veronesi
Division of Thoracic Surgery, European Institute of Oncology, Via Ripamonti 435, 20141 Milan, Italy
Lung Cancer 53:111-5. 2006Large cell neuroendocrine carcinoma of the lung are considered aggressive. However, reported prognoses are heterogeneous and the optimum treatment remains undefined...
- Large cell neuroendocrine carcinoma of the uterine corpus metastatic to brain and lung: case report and review of the literatureY Erhan
Department of Pathology, Ege University, Faculty of Medicine, Bornova, Izmir, Turkey
Eur J Gynaecol Oncol 25:109-12. 2004b>Neuroendocrine carcinoma of the uterine corpus is a rare aggressive tumor with a similar unfavorable outcome to that of the cervix...
- Differential expression of the PTEN tumor suppressor protein in fetal and adult neuroendocrine tissues and tumors: progressive loss of PTEN expression in poorly differentiated neuroendocrine neoplasmsLuoquan Wang
Department of Pathology, State University of New York, Brooklyn 11202 2098, USA
Appl Immunohistochem Mol Morphol 10:139-46. 2002..The authors postulate that PTEN is a differentiation marker for NC/NE tissue and tumors and that loss of PTEN expression may represent an important step in the progression of NE tumors...
- Extensive expression of collapsin response mediator protein 5 (CRMP5) is a specific marker of high-grade lung neuroendocrine carcinomaDavid Meyronet
INSERM, U842, Lyon, F 69372, France
Am J Surg Pathol 32:1699-708. 2008..6% of high-grade neuroendocrine lung tumors, including small cell lung carcinoma and large cell lung neuroendocrine carcinoma, but not in any of the squamous cell carcinomas or lung adenocarcinomas in our series...
- Composite adenocarcinoma and large cell neuroendocrine carcinoma of the rectumA Makino
Department of Pathology, University Health Network, Princess Margaret Hospital, 610 University Avenue, Fourth Floor, Suite 302, Room 312, Toronto, ON, M5G 2M9, Canada
Virchows Arch 448:644-7. 2006..a patient who complained of rectal pain and bleeding with a mixed or composite adenocarcinoma and neuroendocrine carcinoma of the rectum...
- Sinonasal neuroendocrine carcinoma: a case reportDulani Mendis
Department of ENT Surgery, Queen s Hospital, Belvedere Rd, Burton upon Trent, Derby DE13 0RB, UK
Ear Nose Throat J 87:280-2, 293. 2008b>Neuroendocrine carcinoma (NEC) is rare. We report a case of probable sinonasal NEC in a 73-year-old man who had presented with a history of right nasal obstruction, nasal discharge, and recurrent epistaxis...
- MOLECULAR GENETICS OF SENSORY ORGAN DEVELOPMENTJames W Posakony; Fiscal Year: 2013..cancer), medullary thyroid cancer, pheochromocytoma (a tumor of the adrenal medulla), small cell neuroendocrine carcinoma of the prostate, and Merkel cell carcinoma of the skin...
- Methyl selenium regulation of Angiogenic switch MechJunxuan Lu; Fiscal Year: 2006..unreadable] [unreadable]..
- Selenium and prostate cancer apoptosis pathwaysJunxuan Lu; Fiscal Year: 2007..The mechanistic insights will help to guide the design of novel Se agents with better efficacy and tolerance and to interpret the results of PCa prevention trials with Se. ..
- Multispectral Imaging for Oral Cancer DetectionAnn Gillenwater; Fiscal Year: 2005..Successful completion of this research will determine the feasibility for MDM imaging as a clinical tool to improve detection and monitoring of oral neoplasia. ..
- Paracrine Regulation of IGF-I in the Developing IleumPhillip Gordon; Fiscal Year: 2006..abstract_text> ..
- Therapy for Liver Cancer by Targeting Energy MetabolismJean Francois Geschwind; Fiscal Year: 2007..This translational study combining the use of radiological and basic science research tools is both necessary and fundamental to firmly lay the groundwork for clinical trials. ..
- Transcription Factors in Neuroendocrine DifferentiationMichael Lan; Fiscal Year: 2009..Results from this study should help us to define the interplay between the IA-1 zinc-finger transcription factor and other neuroendocrine-specific transcription factors in pancreatic endocrine and neuronal development. ..