Genomes and Genes
Summary: A usually small, slow-growing neoplasm composed of islands of rounded, oxyphilic, or spindle-shaped cells of medium size, with moderately small vesicular nuclei, and covered by intact mucosa with a yellow cut surface. The tumor can occur anywhere in the gastrointestinal tract (and in the lungs and other sites); approximately 90% arise in the appendix. It is now established that these tumors are of neuroendocrine origin and derive from a primitive stem cell. (From Stedman, 25th ed & Holland et al., Cancer Medicine, 3d ed, p1182)
Articles from Journal RESEARCH
Articles from Journal RESEARCH2
Publications317 found, 100 shown here
- A 5-decade analysis of 13,715 carcinoid tumorsIrvin M Modlin
Department of Surgery, Yale University School of Medicine, New Haven, Connecticut 06520 8062, USA
Cancer 97:934-59. 2003....
- Targeting vascular endothelial growth factor in advanced carcinoid tumor: a random assignment phase II study of depot octreotide with bevacizumab and pegylated interferon alpha-2bJames C Yao
Department of Gastrointestinal Medical Oncology, Unit 426, The University of Texas M D Anderson Cancer, 1515 Holcombe Blvd, Houston, TX 77030, USA
J Clin Oncol 26:1316-23. 2008..Effective systemic therapy for advanced carcinoid is lacking. The combination of bevacizumab (BEV) and pegylated (PEG) interferon alpha-2b was evaluated among patients with metastatic or unresectable carcinoid tumors...
- Hypoxia stimulates CXCR4 signalling in ileal carcinoidsYvonne Arvidsson
Lundberg Laboratory for Cancer Research, Department of Pathology and Cytology, Sahlgrenska Academy, University of Goteborg, Goteborg, Sweden
Endocr Relat Cancer 17:303-16. 2010..Signalling through the CXCL12-CXCR4 axis may contribute to the metastatic potential of ileal carcinoids. Targeting of HIFs and/or the CXCR4 signalling pathway may offer new therapeutic strategies for carcinoid tumour disease...
- ERCC1 and Ki67 in small cell lung carcinoma and other neuroendocrine tumors of the lung: distribution and impact on survivalBirgit Guldhammer Skov
Department of Pathology, Gentofte Hospital, DK 2900 Gentofte, Denmark
J Thorac Oncol 5:453-9. 2010..The associations of ERCC1 and Ki67, clinical features and survival in small cell lung carcinoma (SCLC), typical carcinoid (TC), atypical carcinoid (AC), and large cell neuroendocrine carcinoma (LCNEC) were determined...
- Evaluation of the role of [18F]FDG-PET/CT and [68Ga]DOTATOC-PET/CT in differentiating typical and atypical pulmonary carcinoidsTarun Jindal
Department of General Surgery, All India Institute of Medical Sciences, New Delhi, India
Cancer Imaging 11:70-5. 2011..001) in typical carcinoids compared with atypical carcinoids. The different uptake patterns on [18F]FDG and [68Ga]DOTATOC-PET/CT. and the ratio of SUVmax may be helpful in differentiating between typical and atypical carcinoids...
- Collision tumor of the stomach: a rare case of an adenocarcinoma and carcinoid tumorYukie Morishita
Department Pathology, Nihon University School of Medicine, Tokyo, Japan
Arch Pathol Lab Med 129:407-9. 2005..the resected tumor revealed the concurrent presence of moderately differentiated adenocarcinoma and a typical carcinoid tumor, which had a colliding pattern of tissue proliferation...
- Phase II/III study of doxorubicin with fluorouracil compared with streptozocin with fluorouracil or dacarbazine in the treatment of advanced carcinoid tumors: Eastern Cooperative Oncology Group Study E1281Weijing Sun
University of Pennsylvania, Philadelphia, PA 19104 4283, USA
J Clin Oncol 23:4897-904. 2005Optimal treatments for metastatic carcinoid tumor remain undefined, and the role of chemotherapy for symptomatic patients with progressive disease is uncertain.
- Carcinoid tumor of the esophagus: a clinicopathologic study of four casesMai P Hoang
Division of Anatomic Pathology, University of Texas Southwestern Medical Center, Dallas, Texas 75390 9073, USA
Am J Surg Pathol 26:517-22. 2002..The presence of endocrine cell hyperplasia in the Barrett mucosa and the adenocarcinoma supports the hypothesis that these lesions arise from a common stem cell...
- Genetic alterations in goblet cell carcinoids of the vermiform appendix and comparison with gastrointestinal carcinoid tumorsMirela Stancu
Department of Pathology, The University of Texas M D Anderson Cancer Center, Houston, Texas 77030, USA
Mod Pathol 16:1189-98. 2003..These findings suggest that allelic loss of chromosomes 11q, 16q, and 18q in goblet cell carcinoids and ileal carcinoids may have an important role in the pathogenesis of these tumors...
- Mutations of RegIalpha are associated with enterochromaffin-like cell tumor development in patients with hypergastrinemiaA D Higham
The Physiological Laboratory, University of Liverpool, Liverpool, England
Gastroenterology 116:1310-8. 1999..Reg is expressed in rat gastric enterochromaffin-like (ECL) cells. The aim of this study was to examine Reg expression in human corpus and to determine the identity of Reg in ECL cell carcinoid tumors in hypergastrinemic patients...
- Improved staging of patients with carcinoid and islet cell tumors with 18F-dihydroxy-phenyl-alanine and 11C-5-hydroxy-tryptophan positron emission tomographyKlaas P Koopmans
Department of Nuclear Medicine and Molecular Imaging, University Medical Center Groningen, PO Box 30 001, 9700 RB Groningen, The Netherlands
J Clin Oncol 26:1489-95. 2008..To evaluate and compare diagnostic sensitivity of positron emission tomography (PET) scanning in carcinoid and islet cell tumor patients with a serotonin and a catecholamine precursor as tracers...
- Somatostatin analogs in vitro effects in a growth hormone-releasing hormone-secreting bronchial carcinoidMaria Chiara Zatelli
Section of Endocrinology, Department of Biomedical Sciences and Advanced Therapies, University of Ferrara, Via Savonarola 9, 44100 Ferrara, Italy
J Clin Endocrinol Metab 90:2104-9. 2005..These findings suggest that SSTR-specific SRIH analogs may be useful in the medical therapy of GHRH-secreting bronchial carcinoids...
- Typical and atypical pulmonary carcinoids: our institutional experienceAlessandro Bini
Department of Thoracic Surgery, University of Bologna, S Orsola Malpighi Hospital, Via Massarenti, 9, 40138 Bologna BO, Italy
Interact Cardiovasc Thorac Surg 7:415-8. 2008..0487). Carcinoid tumors are a distinct group of neuroendocrine tumors with a good prognosis in most cases. Surgery currently represents the best treatment with good results at mid- and long-term survival, according to an acceptable risk...
- Malignant tumours of the small intestine: a review of histopathology, multidetector CT and MRI aspectsM Anzidei
Department of Radiological Sciences, Sapienza University of Rome, Rome, Italy
Br J Radiol 84:677-90. 2011..The aim of this article is to review MDCT and MRI protocols for the evaluation of small bowel tumours and to provide a concise yet comprehensive guide to the most relevant imaging features relative to histopathology...
- Management of carcinoid tumorsFrank C Detterbeck
Thoracic Surgery, Yale University School of Medicine, New Haven, Connecticut 06520 8062, USA
Ann Thorac Surg 89:998-1005. 2010..For a high suspicion of atypical carcinoid (central cN2, peripheral cN1, 2), imaging for distant metastases and mediastinoscopy is suggested, with multimodality treatment for an atypical carcinoid with N2 involvement...
- Immunohistochemical staining for CDX-2, PDX-1, NESP-55, and TTF-1 can help distinguish gastrointestinal carcinoid tumors from pancreatic endocrine and pulmonary carcinoid tumorsAmitabh Srivastava
Dartmouth Medical School, Dartmouth Hitchcock Medical Center Lebanon, NH, USA
Am J Surg Pathol 33:626-32. 2009..TTF-1 positivity was confined to pulmonary carcinoids in our study but was present in only about a third of cases. A panel of these 4 markers may be useful in predicting the primary site of metastatic WDNET...
- Whole-body 18F dopa PET for detection of gastrointestinal carcinoid tumorsS Hoegerle
Department of Radiology, Division of Nuclear Medicine, Albert-Ludwigs University, Hugstetterstrasse 55, 79106 Freiburg, Germany
Radiology 220:373-80. 2001..CONCLUSION: 18F dopa PET is a promising procedure and useful supplement to morphologic methods in diagnostic imaging of gastrointestinal carcinoid tumors...
- Carcinoid lung tumors--incidence, treatment and outcomes: a population-based studyAnne Naalsund
Department of Respiratory Medicine, Oslo University Hospital, Oslo, Norway
Eur J Cardiothorac Surg 39:565-9. 2011..The aim of the current study was to explore incidence, type of surgical treatment given, and outcome for patients with typical (TC) and atypical (AC) lung carcinoids in a national cohort (Norway)...
- Surgical and chemotherapy treatment outcomes of goblet cell carcinoid: a tertiary cancer center experienceTuan H Pham
Department of Colorectal Surgery, Mayo Clinic, 200 First Street S W, Rochester, Minnesota 55905, USA
Ann Surg Oncol 13:370-6. 2006..Goblet cell carcinoid (GCC) is a rare malignant tumor with distinct histological and clinical features. Our goals were to review the surgical and chemotherapy outcomes of patients with GCC...
- The palliative benefit of aggressive surgical intervention for both hepatic and mesenteric metastases from neuroendocrine tumorsAnthony J Chambers
University of Calgary, Tom Baker Cancer Centre, Calgary, Alberta, Canada
Surgery 144:645-51; discussion 651-3. 2008..The purpose of this study was to assess whether aggressive surgical intervention of metastatic NETs provides effective palliation from these symptoms...
- TTF-1 expression is specific for lung primary in typical and atypical carcinoids: TTF-1-positive carcinoids are predominantly in peripheral locationEmma Z Du
Department of Pathology, University of California San Diego Medical Center, San Diego, CA 92103 8720, USA
Hum Pathol 35:825-31. 2004..Prevalent TTF-1 positivity in TLs and peripheral carcinoids suggest that they may be histogenetically distinct from the central carcinoids, which are typically composed of TTF-1-negative, more rounded cells...
- Comparative studies on the expression of somatostatin receptor subtypes, outcome of octreotide scintigraphy and response to octreotide treatment in patients with carcinoid tumoursO Nilsson
Department of Pathology, Sahlgrenska University Hospital, University of Gothenburg, , Sweden
Br J Cancer 77:632-7. 1998..In the future, novel somatostatin analogues with subtype specific receptor profiles may prove to be of value for individualizing the treatment of disseminated carcinoid tumour disease...
- A rare pathological trinity: an appendiceal ectopic pregnancy, acute appendicitis and a carcinoid tumourR J Thompson
Mid Ulster Hospital, 59 Hospital Road, Magherafelt BT45 5EX, UK
Ir J Med Sci 180:579-80. 2011..We present a case of a 27-year-old woman who was found to have an appendiceal ectopic pregnancy, a carcinoid tumour of the appendix and acute appendicitis existing concurrently. This triad of pathology has never been reported previously...
- Surgical treatment of neuroendocrine tumors of the lungNiccolo Daddi
Thoracic Surgery, University of Perugia, Policlinico Monteluce, Via Brunamonti 51, 06122 Perugia, Italy
Eur J Cardiothorac Surg 26:813-7. 2004..This report reviews the pattern of neuroendocrine (NE) differentiation, lymph-node involvement, extension of surgery, and survival in 125 NE lung tumor patients...
- Outcome and surgical strategy in bronchial carcinoid tumors: single institution experience with 252 patientsFederico Rea
Division of Thoracic Surgery, Department of Cardio Thoracic and Vascular Sciences, University of Padua, Padua, Italy
Eur J Cardiothorac Surg 31:186-91. 2007..To evaluate type of surgery, long-term survival and factors influencing outcome in pulmonary carcinoid tumors...
- An analysis of rare carcinoid tumors: clarifying these clinical conundrumsIrvin M Modlin
Gastric Pathobiology Research Group, Yale University School of Medicine, 333 Cedar Street, P O Box 208062, New Haven, CT 06520 8062, USA
World J Surg 29:92-101. 2005..Familiarity with such unusual sites of origin will facilitate appropriate recognition and characterization of such tumors, allowing for timely intervention...
- Carbidopa pretreatment improves image interpretation and visualisation of carcinoid tumours with 11C-5-hydroxytryptophan positron emission tomographyH Orlefors
Department of Medical Sciences Endocrine Oncology, Uppsala University Hospital, UAS, 751 85, Uppsala, Sweden
Eur J Nucl Med Mol Imaging 33:60-5. 2006....
- Early-stage carcinoids of the gastrointestinal tract: an analysis of 1914 reported casesJun Soga
Niigata Seiryo University, Niigata, Japan
Cancer 103:1587-95. 2005..1-10.0 mm) tumors at a depth of invasion restricted to the mucosa and submucosa (sm carcinoids)...
- Metastatic carcinoid tumors: a clinical reviewJohanna M Zuetenhorst
Department of Gastroenterology, Netherlands Cancer Institute Antoni van Leeuwenhoek Hospital, Plesmanlaan 121, 1066 CX Amsterdam, The Netherlands
Oncologist 10:123-31. 2005..Because carcinoid tumors are uncommon, effort should be made to treat these patients in specialized centers and for these centers to join together in multicenter studies...
- Health-related quality of life, anxiety and depression in patients with midgut carcinoid tumoursG Larsson
Department of Public Health and Caring Sciences, Uppsala University, Sweden
Acta Oncol 40:825-31. 2001..Thus, deterioration of physical function was not accompanied by a deterioration of emotional function, and levels of tumour markers were not related to patients' HRQoL...
- Genetics of neuroendocrine and carcinoid tumoursP D Leotlela
Nuffield Department of Medicine, University of Oxford, Botnar Research Centre, Nuffield Orthopaedic Centre, Headington, Oxford OX3 7LD, UK
Endocr Relat Cancer 10:437-50. 2003..Thus the development and progression of NETs is associated with specific genetic abnormalities that indicate the likely involvement of different molecular pathways...
- Prognostic indicators for carcinoid neuroendocrine tumors of the gastrointestinal tractOtto Rorstad
Department of Medicine, University of Calgary, Calgary, Alberta, Canada
J Surg Oncol 89:151-60. 2005..Adverse clinical indicators are the malignant carcinoid syndrome, carcinoid heart disease, and high concentrations of the tumor markers, urinary 5-HIAA and plasma chromogranin A...
- Carcinoids of the jejunum and ileum: an immunohistochemical and clinicopathologic study of 167 casesA P Burke
Department of Hepatic and Gastrointestinal Pathology, Armed Forces Institute of Pathology, Washington, DC 20306 6000, USA
Cancer 79:1086-93. 1997..Carcinoid tumors of the gastrointestinal tract differ in their clinical and histopathologic features, depending on the site of origin. There are few clinicopathologic studies that specifically describe jejunoileal carcinoid tumors...
- Long-term outcome after resection for bronchial carcinoid tumorsM K Ferguson
Department of Surgery, The University of Chicago, 5841 South Maryland Avenue, Chicago, IL 60637, USA
Eur J Cardiothorac Surg 18:156-61. 2000..We sought to determine the long-term survival of patients treated for bronchial carcinoid tumors and whether lesser resections have had an effect on outcomes...
- Pulmonary carcinoid: presentation, diagnosis, and outcome in 142 cases in Israel and review of 640 cases from the literatureG Fink
Pulmonology Institute, Rabin Medical Center, Beilinson Campus, Petah Tiqva
Chest 119:1647-51. 2001..05). A review of large series from the literature is presented. CONCLUSION: Pulmonary carcinoid is an uncommon tumor in the Israeli population. With early diagnosis and aggressive surgical therapy, long-term prognosis is excellent...
- Expression of thyroid transcription factor-1 in the spectrum of neuroendocrine cell lung proliferations with special interest in carcinoidsNathalie Sturm
Laboratoire de Pathologie Cellulaire, Service de Chirurgie Thoracique and the Lung Cancer Research Group, INSERM 9924, Centre Hospitalo Universitaire Albert Michallon, Grenoble, France
Hum Pathol 33:175-82. 2002..This challenges the concept of a spectrum of NE proliferations and tumors and lends credence to the alternative hypothesis of a common derivation for SCLC and non-SCLC including LCNEC, with carcinoids deriving from a different stem cell...
- Updated population-based review of carcinoid tumorsMelinda A Maggard
Robert Wood Johnson VA Clinical Scholars Program, UCLA School of Medicine, Los Angeles, California, USA
Ann Surg 240:117-22. 2004..To determine the population-based incidence, anatomic distribution, and survival rates of gastrointestinal carcinoid tumors...
- Inhibition of proliferation of small intestinal and bronchopulmonary neuroendocrine cell lines by using peptide analogs targeting receptorsMark Kidd
Gastrointestinal Pathobiology Research Group, Yale University School of Medicine, New Haven, Connecticut 06520 8062, USA
Cancer 112:1404-14. 2008....
- Combination therapy with histone deacetylase inhibitors and lithium chloride: a novel treatment for carcinoid tumorsJoel T Adler
Department of Surgery, University of Wisconsin, Clinical Science Center, Madison, 53792, USA
Ann Surg Oncol 16:481-6. 2009..This combination effectively reduces growth. Thus, lower-dose combination therapy may be a viable therapeutic approach for carcinoid tumors...
- Coexistence of pulmonary sclerosing hemangioma and primary adenocarcinoma in the same nodule of lungWei Liu
Department of Pathology, The First Affiliated Hospital, Sun Yat Sen University, 58 Zhongshan Road II, Guangzhou 510080, China
Diagn Pathol 6:41. 2011..To our knowledge, this is the first case of coexistence of PSH and adenocarcinoma in the same nodule of lung. In addition, the biological behavior and histological differential diagnosis of this tumor were also discussed...
- The utility of fluorodeoxyglucose positron emission tomography in the evaluation of carcinoid tumors presenting as pulmonary nodulesCraig E Daniels
Division of Pulmonary and Critical Care Medicine, Desk East 18, Mayo Clinic, 200 First St SW, Rochester, MN 55905, USA
Chest 131:255-60. 2007..Our purpose was to determine the sensitivity of FDG-PET to detect pulmonary carcinoid tumors...
- Bronchopulmonary neuroendocrine tumorsBjorn I Gustafsson
Department of Surgery, Yale University School of Medicine, New Haven, CT 06520 8062, USA
Cancer 113:5-21. 2008..immunohistochemical, and ultrastructural features, they are separated into 4 subgroups: typical carcinoid tumor (TC), atypical carcinoid tumor (AC), large-cell neuroendocrine carcinoma (LCNEC), and small-cell lung ..
- Accumulation of beta-catenin protein and mutations in exon 3 of beta-catenin gene in gastrointestinal carcinoid tumorM Fujimori
Second Department of Surgery, Hiroshima University Faculty of Medicine, Hiroshima, Japan 734-8551
Cancer Res 61:6656-9. 2001..the Wnt/beta-catenin signaling to this type of carcinogenesis, we investigated 72 cases of gastrointestinal carcinoid tumor both immunohistochemically and by direct sequencing of beta-catenin...
- Surgical treatment of advanced-stage carcinoid tumors: lessons learnedJ Philip Boudreaux
Department of Surgery, Louisiana State University Health Sciences Center, New Orleans, Louisiana, USA
Ann Surg 241:839-45; discussion 845-6. 2005..To evaluate clinical outcomes in a large group of advanced-stage carcinoid patients (stage IV) following multimodal surgical therapy...
- Significance of multiple carcinoid tumors and tumorlets in surgical lung specimens: analysis of 28 patientsMarie Christine Aubry
Department of Laboratory Medicine and Pathology, Mayo Clinic, 200 First St SW, Rochester, MN 55905, USA
Chest 131:1635-43. 2007..The clinical significance of multiple carcinoid tumorlets in surgical lung specimens has not been systematically analyzed. We reviewed our experience to determine the range of clinical circumstances associated with this finding...
- Elevated plasma chromogranin A is the first indication of recurrence in radically operated midgut carcinoid tumorsStaffan Welin
Department of Medical Sciences, Unit of Endocrine Oncology, University Hospital, Uppsala, Sweden
Neuroendocrinology 89:302-7. 2009..Despite curative intent, recurrences occur frequently, motivating long-term biochemical and radiological follow-up. This study aimed to compare the usefulness of various methods in detecting such recurrences...
- [A case of double primary cancer: early gastric adenocarcinoma associated with adenocarcinoma and carcinoid]Eun Young Kim
Department of Internal Medicine, Catholic University of Daegu School of Medicine, Daegu, Korea
Korean J Gastroenterol 42:533-8. 2003..We report one case of gastric composite tumor simultaneously occurring with a early gastric adenocarcinoma with review of the literature...
- Thymic carcinoids in multiple endocrine neoplasia type 1B T Teh
Department of Molecular Medicine, Karolinska Hospital, Stockholm, Sweden
J Intern Med 243:501-4. 1998..Prophylactic thymectomy should be considered during subtotal or total parathyroidectomy on MEN-1 patients to reduce the risk of this malignancy...
- Typical and atypical carcinoid tumours: analysis of the experience of the Spanish Multi-centric Study of Neuroendocrine Tumours of the LungMariano García-Yuste
Thoracic Surgery Department of University Hospital, Valladolid, Spain
Eur J Cardiothorac Surg 31:192-7. 2007..This study examines the experience of the Spanish Multi-centric Study of Neuroendocrine Tumours of the Lung with patients treated surgically for typical and atypical carcinoid tumours...
- Current management of gastrointestinal carcinoid tumorsKenneth J Woodside
Department of Surgery, The University of Texas Medical Branch, Galveston, Texas 77555, USA
J Gastrointest Surg 8:742-56. 2004..Recent studies have demonstrated a benefit from radiolabeled somatostatin analogs for carcinoid tumor localization. In contrast, radiolabeled somatostatin analogs have shown little therapeutic benefit...
- Current status of gastrointestinal carcinoidsIrvin M Modlin
Gastric Pathobiology Research Group, GI Surgical Division, Yale University School of Medicine, New Haven, Connecticut 06520 8062, USA
Gastroenterology 128:1717-51. 2005..Overall 5-year survival for carcinoids of the appendix is 98%, gastric (types I/II) is 81%, rectum is 87%, small intestinal is 60%, colonic carcinoids is 62%, and gastric type III/IV is 33%...
- Pulmonary neuroendocrine/carcinoid tumors: a review articleErin M Bertino
Department of Internal Medicine, Ohio State University College of Medicine, Columbus, Ohio, USA
Cancer 115:4434-41. 2009....
- Chemotherapy and biotherapy in the treatment of neuroendocrine tumoursK Oberg
Department of Endocrine Oncology, Medical Sciences, Internal Medicine, Uppsala University Hospital, Sweden
Ann Oncol 12:S111-4. 2001..The quality of life has been significantly improved by using the long-acting formulations...
- Endoscopic submucosal dissection of a rectal carcinoid tumor using grasping type scissors forcepsKazuya Akahoshi
Department of Gastroenterology, Aso Iizuka Hospital, 3 83 Yoshio, Iizuka 820 8505, Japan
World J Gastroenterol 15:2162-5. 2009..The histological diagnosis of the specimen obtained by biopsy was carcinoid tumor. Endoscopic ultrasonography demonstrated a hypoechoic solid tumor limited to the submucosa without lymph node ..
- Carcinoid tumor of the appendix during pregnancy. A rare case and a review of the literatureM Pitiakoudis
2nd Surgical Department, Medical School, University of Thrace, Alexandroupolis, Greece
J BUON 13:271-5. 2008We present a rare case of a carcinoid tumor of the appendix that was diagnosed during pregnancy in a 24-year-old female...
- Multiple pulmonary atypical carcinoids presenting with long-standing Cushing syndrome masked by pulmonary tuberculosisBo Gun Jang
Department of Pathology and Internal Medicine, Seoul National University College of Medicine, Seoul, Korea
Pathol Int 59:399-404. 2009..In addition, this patient had a Crooke's cell hyperplasia of the pituitary gland, which represents the reactive change of corticotrophs exposed to the excess cortisol rather than neoplastic change leading to CS...
- The molecular pathogenesis and management of bronchial carcinoidsMehtap Cakir
Selcuk University, Meram School of Medicine, Division of Endocrinology and Metabolism, Meram, 42080 Konya, Turkey
Expert Opin Ther Targets 15:457-91. 2011..Among pulmonary NETs, typical and atypical carcinoid tumors of the lung are generally indolent, but do have a (albeit low) potential to metastasize...
- Use of integrated FDG PET/CT imaging in pulmonary carcinoid tumoursS Kruger
Medical Clinic II, University Hospital, Ulm, Germany
J Intern Med 260:545-50. 2006....
- Diagnosis and treatment of carcinoid tumorsKjell Oberg
Department of Endocrine Oncology, University Hospital, Uppsala, Sweden
Expert Rev Anticancer Ther 3:863-77. 2003..New therapies, such as antiangiogenic agents and new, long-acting somatostatin analogs, together with further development of tumor-targeted treatments, will come into clinical use in the near future...
- Unexpected slight fluorodeoxyglucose-uptake on positron emission tomography in a pulmonary hamartomaUlrike Himpe
Respiratory Oncology Unit Pulmonology and Leuven Lung Cancer Group, University Hospital Gasthuisberg, Leuven, Belgium
J Thorac Oncol 4:107-8. 2009..Because of the risk for retro-obstructive pneumonia, and because there was a small increase in diameter of the lesion on CT, thoracotomy was proposed. Pathologic examination revealed a surprising and rare finding...
- Rectal carcinoid tumor with bone marrow and osteoblastic bone metastasis: a case reportMetin Ozkan
Departments of Medical Oncology, Erciyes University Medical Faculty, Kayseri
Turk J Gastroenterol 18:111-4. 2007..Bone marrow involvement might be a poor prognostic factor in carcinoid tumor as has been the case in many other tumors.
- Review article: Pathogenesis and management of gastric carcinoid tumoursM D Burkitt
Division of Gastroenterology, Liverpool University, Liverpool, UK
Aliment Pharmacol Ther 24:1305-20. 2006..Gastric carcinoid tumours are rare, but are increasing in incidence...
- CT features of peripheral pulmonary carcinoid tumorsQuinn Colin Meisinger
Department of Radiology, University of Vermont College of Medicine, Burlington, VT 05401, USA
AJR Am J Roentgenol 197:1073-80. 2011....
- PET/CT using ¹⁸F-FDOPA provides improved staging of carcinoid tumor patients in a Canadian settingValerie N Yakemchuk
Department of Nuclear Medicine, Hamilton Health Sciences, Hamilton, Ontario, Canada
Nucl Med Commun 33:322-30. 2012..This study assessed the diagnostic accuracy of 6-[¹⁸F]fluoro-3,4-dihydroxyphenylalanine (¹⁸F-FDOPA) PET/CT in neuroendocrine tumors...
- Nuclear translocation of beta-catenin protein but absence of beta-catenin and APC mutation in gastrointestinal carcinoid tumorMin Cheng Su
Department of Pathology, Min Sheng General Hospital, 168 Ching Kuo Road, Taoyuan City, Taiwan, ROC
Ann Surg Oncol 13:1604-9. 2006..translocation of beta-catenin with frequent mutations of exon 3 of beta-catenin gene in gastrointestinal carcinoid tumor has been previously described, but the role of Wnt/beta-catenin/APC pathway in the genesis of carcinoid tumor ..
- Assessment of the extent of metastases of gastrointestinal carcinoid tumors using whole-body PET, CT, MRI, PET/CT and PET/MRIMarcus D Seemann
Department of Nuclear Medicine, Technical University, Munich, Ismaninger Strasse 22, D 81675 Munich, Germany
Eur J Med Res 11:58-65. 2006....
- Phosphatidylinositol 3-kinase-Akt signaling in pulmonary carcinoid cellsSusan C Pitt
Endocrine Surgery Research Laboratories, Department of Surgery, University of Wisconsin, Madison, WI 53792, USA
J Am Coll Surg 209:82-8. 2009..But the importance of PI3K-Akt signaling has not been explored in pulmonary carcinoids. In this study, our objective was to establish the role of the PI3K-Akt signal transduction pathway in pulmonary carcinoid cells...
- [18F]fluoro-2-deoxy-D-glucose ([18F]FDG) positron emission tomography imaging of thymic carcinoid tumor presenting with recurrent Cushing's syndromeAthina Markou
Department of Endocrinology, Middlesex Hospital, London, UK
Eur J Endocrinol 152:521-5. 2005..This is a rare case of concomitant CRH and ACTH secretion from a thymic carcinoid tumor; the case illustrates the usefulness of functional imaging with [(18)F]FDG PET in the diagnosis, management ..
- Different expression levels of lumican in human carcinoid tumor and neuroendocrine cell carcinomaSeiichi Shinji
Surgery for Organ and Biological Regulation, Department of Surgery I, Graduate School of Medicine, Nippon Medical School, 1 1 5 Sendagi, Bunkyo ku, Tokyo 113 8603, Japan
Int J Oncol 26:873-80. 2005..2% in NECs. In situ hybridization analysis revealed the lumican mRNA expression in the cytoplasm of carcinoid tumor and NEC cells...
- Combination of (18)-FDG and (68)Ga-DOTATOC PET-CT to differentiate endobronchial carcinoids and inflammatory myofibroblastic tumorsT Jindal
Department of Surgical Disciplines, All India Institute of Medical Sciences, New Delhi, India
J Postgrad Med 55:272-4. 2009..A combination of (18) F-FDG PET-CT and (68) Ga-DOTATOC PET-CT scan is one such example, which revealed contrasting findings in two patients that are being presented here...
- Clinical usefulness of fluoro-2-deoxy-D-glucose PET in a case with multiple bone metastases of carcinoid tumor after ten yearsYoshihiro Kobashi
Division of Respiratory Diseases, Department of Medicine, Kawasaki Medical School, Kurashiki, Japan
Intern Med 48:1919-23. 2009We report a peculiar case in an 80-year-old man with multiple bone metastases due to the recurrence of thymic carcinoid tumor after surgical resection and radiation therapy ten years earlier...
- Thymic neuroendocrine carcinoma (carcinoid) in multiple endocrine neoplasia type 1 syndrome: the Italian seriesP Ferolla
Department of Internal Medicine and Endocrine Sciences, Thoracic Surgery, Institute of Pathology, University of Perugia, Via E dal Pozzo, 06100 Perugia, Italy
J Clin Endocrinol Metab 90:2603-9. 2005..Thus, we recommend screening every patient affected with a neuroendocrine thymic neoplasm for MEN1 syndrome...
- Hairy Enhancer of Split-1 (HES-1), a Notch1 effector, inhibits the growth of carcinoid tumor cellsMuthusamy Kunnimalaiyaan
Department of Surgery, The University of Wisconsin Medical School, University of Wisconsin Comprehensive Cancer Center, Madison, WI, USA
Surgery 138:1137-42; discussion 1142. 2005The Notch1-signaling pathway has been shown to regulate the differentiation and growth of carcinoid tumor cells...
- [Autopsy case of von Recklinghausen's disease associated with lung cancer, gastrointestinal stromal tumor of the stomach, and duodenal carcinoid tumor]Miki Satoh
Department of Respiratory Medicine, National Hospital Organization, Hakodate Hospital
Nihon Kokyuki Gakkai Zasshi 47:798-804. 2009..adenosquamous cell carcinoma of the lung, gastrointestinal stromal tumor of the stomach, and duodenal carcinoid tumor. This case suggests the possibility that von Recklinghausen's disease associated with emphysematous bullae is ..
- Insulin-like growth factor 1 signaling in human gastrointestinal carcinoid tumor cellsJamie Joseph Van Gompel
Department of Surgery, University of Wisconsin Comprehensive Cancer Center, 600 Highland Avenue, Madison, WI 53792, USA
Surgery 136:1297-302. 2004..Methods Human gastrointestinal carcinoid tumor cells (BON) were treated with IGF-1 (0-500 ng/mL)...
- Ectopic growth hormone-releasing hormone secretion by a metastatic bronchial carcinoid tumor: a case with a non hypophysial intracranial tumor that shrank during long acting octreotide treatmentPatricia Fainstein Day
Department of Endocrinology and Nuclear Medicine, Hospital Italiano, Gascón 450 1187, Buenos Aires, Argentina
Pituitary 10:311-9. 2007..He had undergone lung surgery in 1987 for a "benign" carcinoid tumor. Endocrine evaluation confirmed acromegaly Plasma IGF-1: 984 ng/ml (63-380), GH: 49.8 ng/ml (<5)...
- [Thymic carcinoid tumor revealed by a Cushing's syndrome: usefulness of positron emission tomography]E Gomard-Mennesson
Service de Medecine Interne, Hotel Dieu, 1, Place de l Hopital, 69288 Lyon Cedex 02, France
Rev Med Interne 29:751-3. 2008..A thymic tumor was suspected and the patient had a thymectomy that revealed an atypical carcinoid tumor with pleural carcinosis...
- Carcinoid tumor in a Meckel's diverticulum: hypothesis on mutual embryological originIrene Grossmann
Department of Surgery, Spaarne Hospital, Heemstede, The Netherlands
Int Surg 88:41-6. 2003..We illustrate a 63-year-old male patient with multiple ileal carcinoid tumors along with a carcinoid tumor in Meckel's diverticulum...
- Primary carcinoid tumor of the kidney: case report and brief review of literatureDeepali Jain
Department of Pathology, All India Institute of Medical Sciences, New Delhi, India
Indian J Pathol Microbiol 53:772-4. 2010Primary carcinoid tumor of the kidney is an extremely uncommon tumor. As a consequence, very little is known about its histogenesis, clinicopathologic features and prognosis...
- Cushing's syndrome and nocardiosis associated with a pulmonary carcinoid tumor: report of a case and review of the literatureBrian J Sutton
Department of Pathology, Wake Forest University School of Medicine, Winston Salem, NC, USA
Diagn Cytopathol 39:359-62. 2011..and further work-up involving a fine needle aspiration of the left lung revealed an ACTH-producing carcinoid tumor. Before treatment could be administered, the patient developed several new suspicious nodules in the left ..
- Octreotide as a rapid and effective painkiller for metastatic carcinoid tumorMiyuki Katai
Department of Aging Medicine and Geriatrics, Shinshu University Graduate School of Medicine, Asahi, Matsumoto, Japan
Endocr J 52:277-80. 2005..The use of octreotide may be a good option for controlling pain by metastatic bone disease and combination therapy of octreotide and interferon alpha-2b is worth to try for patients with inoperable metastatic carcinoid tumor.
- Divergent cyclin B1 expression and Rb/p16/cyclin D1 pathway aberrations among pulmonary neuroendocrine tumorsToru Igarashi
Department of Pathology, Kitasato University School of Medicine, Sagamihara, Kanagawa, Japan
Mod Pathol 17:1259-67. 2004..neuroendocrine carcinoma and small-cell carcinoma, but are generally intact or occasionally altered in carcinoid tumor; the mechanisms involved in Rb pathway aberration among the tumor categories are different, reflecting a ..
- Activation of the ras/raf-1 signal transduction pathway in carcinoid tumor cells results in morphologic transdifferentiationRebecca S Sippel
Department of Surgery, The University of Wisconsin Medical School, H4 750 Clinical Science Center, 600 Highland Avenue, Madison, WI 53792, USA
Surgery 132:1035-9; discussion 1039. 2002..The mechanism by which it alters neuroendocrine tumor cells is unclear. We hypothesize that activation of the ras/raf signal transduction pathway may alter gastrointestinal carcinoid cells by inducing morphologic transdifferentiation...
- Gastric carcinoid tumor--incidental finding on endoscopy prior to bariatric surgeryMyriam Moretto
Department of Gastroenterology, Centro da Obesidade Mórbida Hospital São Lucas da PUCRS, Av Ipiranga, 6690 302, Porto Alegre 90610 000, Brazil
Obes Surg 18:747-9. 2008..Anatomo-pathological findings were compatible with carcinoid tumor of the stomach. The patient was submitted to extended subtotal gastrectomy with loco-regional lymphadenectomy...
- Primary carcinoid tumor arising in a retroperitoneal mature teratoma in an adultToshinari Yamasaki
Department of Urology, Himeji National Hospital, 68 Honmachi, Himeji, Hyogo 670 8520, Japan
Int J Urol 11:912-5. 2004An extremely rare case of a primary carcinoid tumor arising in a mature retroperitoneal teratoma is reported. A 53-year-old woman was admitted for further examination of an incidental retroperitoneal mass with calcification...
- Clinicopathological features and immunoexpression profiles of goblet cell carcinoid and typical carcinoid of the appendixYong Jiang
Department of Pathology, West China Hospital, Sichuan University, Chengdu, China
Pathol Oncol Res 17:127-32. 2011..Therefore, the term "low grade adenocarcinoma with neuroendocrine differentiation" might be more appropriate for GCC...
- A Pulmonary adrenocorticotropin-secreting carcinoid tumor localized by 6-Fluoro-[18F]L-dihydroxyphenylalanine positron emission/computed tomography imaging in a patient with Cushing's syndromeS Dubois
Departement d Endocrinologie, Centre Hospitalier Universitaire, 4 rue Larrey, 49933 Angers cedex 09, France
J Clin Endocrinol Metab 92:4512-3. 2007
- Tautomycin suppresses growth and neuroendocrine hormone markers in carcinoid cells through activation of the Raf-1 pathwayScott N Pinchot
Endocrine Surgery Research Laboratories, Department of Surgery, University of Wisconsin, Madison, WI, USA
Am J Surg 197:313-9. 2009..Raf-1 pathway activation has been shown to suppress hormone production in carcinoid cells. We investigated a novel treatment for carcinoid cell growth based on pharmacologic Raf-1 activation using the compound tautomycin (TTY)...
- Genetic alteration in carcinoid tumors of the lungKenji Sugio
Second Department of Surgery, School of Medicine, University of Occupational and Environmental Health, Kitakyushu, Japan
Ann Thorac Cardiovasc Surg 9:149-54. 2003..The presence of LOH at 3p14 or 9p may thus help to identify lung cancer patients with a poor prognosis...
- Fourteen-year-old girl with endobronchial carcinoid tumour presenting with asthma and lobar emphysemaJulie Bjerglund Andersen
Department of Clinical Physiology, Nuclear Medicine and PET, Rigshospitalet, Copenhagen University Hospital, København Ø, Denmark
Clin Respir J 4:120-4. 2010..Bronchial carcinoid tumours seldom occur in children, and represent a rare cause of pulmonary obstruction. Because of low clinical suspicion and the variable ways of presentation, diagnosis may be delayed...
- Identification of MEN1 gene mutations in sporadic carcinoid tumors of the lungL V Debelenko
Laboratory of Pathology, National Cancer Institute, NIH, Bethesda, MD 20892, USA
Hum Mol Genet 6:2285-90. 1997..The data implicate the MEN1 gene in the pathogenesis of sporadic lung carcinoids, representing the first defined genetic alteration in these tumors...
- Primary carcinoid tumor of the common hepatic duct: A rare case with immunohistochemical and molecular findingsSaverio Ligato
Department of Pathology and Laboratory Medicine, Hartford Hospital, Hartford, CT, USA
Oncol Rep 13:543-6. 2005We report immunohistochemical (IHC) and molecular findings in a rare case of a carcinoid tumor of the extrahepatic bile ducts in a 33-year-old woman, who presented with a 3.9x2.8x2.6 cm mass within the right and common hepatic ducts...
- Malignant carcinoid tumor of the common bile duct: report of a caseDong Hee Kim
Department of Surgery, Eulji University School of Medicine, 280 1 Hagye dong, Nowon Gu, Seoul, 139 711, Korea
Surg Today 36:485-9. 2006..We herein present what we believe is only the 47th reported case of a primary carcinoid tumor occurring in the extrahepatic bile ducts...
- Synchronous bilateral multiple typical pulmonary carcinoid tumorsUlku Yazici
Department of Thoracic Surgery, Ataturk Training and Research Hospital for Chest Disease and Chest Surgery, Kecioren, Ankara, Turkey
Ann Thorac Surg 89:1278-80. 2010..Histopathologic examinations revealed typical carcinoid tumor in both lungs. No pathologic lesions were observed in 18-month postoperative follow-up...
- The importance of smoking and medical history for development of small bowel carcinoid tumor: a European population-based case-control studyLinda Kaerlev
Department of Epidemiology and Social Medicine, University of Aarhus, Denmark
Cancer Causes Control 13:27-34. 2002Little is known about the etiology of small bowel carcinoid tumor (SBC), but a few studies have pointed to certain medical and lifestyle factors as potential risk factors...
- Gastrointestinal carcinoid tumor and chylous ascites, a rare association with a poor prognosis. A case reportTeresa Rosanna Portale
Surgical Science Department, University of Catania, Catania, Italy
Tumori 94:419-21. 2008..We report a case of chylous ascites, gastrointestinal carcinoid tumor and elevated blood levels of CA-125 in a patient who did not respond to chemotherapy.
- Comparison of [177Lu-DOTA0,Tyr3]-octreotate and [177Lu-DOTA0,Tyr3]-octreotide for receptor-mediated radiation therapy of the xenografted human midgut carcinoid tumor GOT1Christina Swärd
The Lundberg Laboratory for Cancer Research, Sahlgrenska University Hospital, Goteborg, Sweden
Cancer Biother Radiopharm 23:114-20. 2008..Octreotate seems to be a more suitable somatostatin analog than octreotide for receptor-mediated radiation therapy. P-CgA is a simple, accurate method for the estimation of tumor response in this animal model...
- Mixed carcinoid and adenocarcinoma of the appendix: report of 4 cases with immunohistochemical studies and a review of the literatureBryan Tzy young Lin
Division of Surgical Pathology, Encino Tarzana Regional Medical Center, 18321 Clark Street, Tarzana, CA 91356, USA
Appl Immunohistochem Mol Morphol 12:271-6. 2004..cases revealed a significant percentage (>14%) of tumor-associated death, in contrast to the classic carcinoid tumor. Immunohistochemical stains were helpful to separate these tumors from carcinoid tumors and primary ..
- Schistosomiasis may contribute to goblet cell carcinoid of the appendixYong Jiang
Department of Pathology, West China Hospital, Sichuan University, Chengdu 610041, Sichuan Province, China
J Parasitol 98:565-8. 2012....
- Incidental carcinoid of appendix in cesarean sectionHusnu Gokaslan
Department of Obstetrics and Gynecology, School of Medicine of Marmara University, Istanbul, Turkey
Eur J Obstet Gynecol Reprod Biol 104:76-8. 2002A case with carcinoid tumor of the appendix was encountered incidentally during an elective cesarean section. The tumor was discovered as a result of the routine exploration of the whole abdomen...
- Living-related liver transplantation for multiple liver metastases from rectal carcinoid tumor: a case reportYoshimi Nakajima
Department of Medicine and Molecular Science, Gunma University Graduate School of Medicine, 3 39 15 Showa Machi, Maebashi, Gunma 371 8511, Japan
World J Gastroenterol 12:1805-9. 2006..Liver transplantation should be considered as a treatment option even in advanced case of carcinoid metastasis to the liver. We also discuss the literature on liver transplantation for metastatic carcinoid tumor.
- Molecular strategies to define carcinoids and rationalize surgical interventionIrvin Modlin; Fiscal Year: 2009..This will provide novel biological information and provide molecular data to identify occult metastasis predict spread and facilitate preemptive appropriate therapy. ..
- The Use of 68Ga-DOTATOC and 18F-FDG PET/CT Imaging in the Evaluation of Newly DiaRONALD CLARK WALKER; Fiscal Year: 2013..g. typical carcinoid tumor, well- differentiated adenocarcinoma, bronchioloalveolar carcinoma (BAC), and some metastases)...
- NEURAL CONTROL OF LARGE INTESTINAL MUCOSAHelen Cooke; Fiscal Year: 2005..from guinea pig, human or nucleotide- receptor deficient mice n response to mechanical stimulation or in a carcinoid tumor cell line, BON...
- Small Molecule Inhibitors of HBV/HCV Induced Liver DiseasesSurendra Dheer; Fiscal Year: 2009..Atiprimod is an anti-cancer and anti-angiogenic compound, which is currently in clinical evaluations in liver carcinoid tumor patients. Early observations from these clinical trials indicate a clear cut reduction in disease symptoms...
- Molecular Strategies for Gastric Carcinoid SurgeryIrvin Modlin; Fiscal Year: 2005..A pre-operative determination of the neoplastic ECL cell gene expression relating to gastrin responsiveness will improve the rationale for therapeutic gastric or antral resection. ..
- IL13-responsive genes in goblet cell metaplasia in asthmaMary Rose; Fiscal Year: 2007..This will contribute to the development of pharmacological agents to control GCH and mucus overproduction in patients with asthma and possibly other chronic airway diseases [unreadable] [unreadable] [unreadable]..
- Non-invasive beta-cell imaging using a Ga-68-labeled glucagone-like peptide-1 anaMartin Gotthardt; Fiscal Year: 2008..Apart from proof-of-principle studies in healthy volunteers and diabetes type I and II patients, a dosimetric method will be established to simply and reliably quantify beta-cell mass by PET imaging. [unreadable] [unreadable]..
- Indomethacin and p38 Regulating AP-1 In Heat ShockJacob Locke; Fiscal Year: 2004..abstract_text> ..
- THE ROLE OF RB IN THE RETINA & OTHER TISSUESJAMES HARBOUR; Fiscal Year: 2009..Consequently, these aims are highly relevant to the vision statement of the NEI, and they address several major program goals and objectives of the Retinal Diseases Program. ..
- Pheromone Signaling in Pneumocystis CariniiCharles Thomas; Fiscal Year: 2009..Through these investigations we hope to gain insights into P. carinii biology which may provide new information for novel drug development to treat PCP. ..
- Cardiac MDCT for Early Triage of Patients with ACSUdo Hoffmann; Fiscal Year: 2008..abstract_text> ..
- Novel Signaling Targets in GI Neuroendocrine TumorsHerbert Chen; Fiscal Year: 2005..While we have shown that raf-1 activation in human carcinoid tumor cells can suppress hormone production, methods to target raf-1 induction in tumor cells would prove to be ..
- PET IMAGING IN MULTIMODALITY MANAGEMENT OF RECTAL CANCERJose Guillem; Fiscal Year: 2001..abstract_text> ..
- Phase II Clinical Trial Utilizing Lithium for Patients with Neuroendocrine TumorsHerbert Chen; Fiscal Year: 2008..Besides surgery, there are limited curative and palliative treatments available to patients with metastatic NE tumors, emphasizing the need for development of other forms of therapy. [unreadable] [unreadable] [unreadable]..
- Signaling Pathways in Medullary Thyroid CancerHerbert Chen; Fiscal Year: 2004..abstract_text> ..
- Hepatitis Virus, Alcohol Exposure and Oxidative StressManal Hassan; Fiscal Year: 2002..Serum Se, GPx activity, lipid peroxides and oxidative DNA damage will be measured in relation to HCV and alcohol intake history. ..
- Regulating Neuroendocrine Phenotype in CancerHerbert Chen; Fiscal Year: 2010..Furthermore, these finding may permit development of components of raf-1 pathway as therapeutic targets in the treatment and palliation of NE tumors. ..