Genomes and Genes
Summary: A malignant tumor arising from the embryonic remains of the notochord. It is also called chordocarcinoma, chordoepithelioma, and notochordoma. (Dorland, 27th ed)
Publications255 found, 100 shown here
- Patient outcome at long-term follow-up after aggressive microsurgical resection of cranial base chordomasFortios Tzortzidis
Department of Neurosurgery, University of Washington, Seattle, Washington, USA
Neurosurgery 59:230-7; discussion 230-7. 2006..In this study, we evaluated patients' clinical outcome and recurrence rates at long-term follow-up after aggressive microsurgical resection of cranial base chordomas...
- Chordoma of the spine: clinicopathological features, diagnosis, and treatmentPanayiotis J Papagelopoulos
Dept of Orthopedics, Athens University Medical School, 4 Christovassili St, 154 51 Neo Psychikon, Athens, Greece
Orthopedics 27:1256-63; quiz 1264-5. 2004
- ChordomaPaolo G Casali
Adult Sarcoma Medical Oncology Unit, Istituto Nazionale dei Tumori, Milano, Italy
Curr Opin Oncol 19:367-70. 2007To review developments in chordoma treatment.
- Recurrent chromosomal copy number alterations in sporadic chordomasLong Phi Le
Department of Pathology, Massachusetts General Hospital, Harvard Medical School, Boston, Massachusetts, United States of America
PLoS ONE 6:e18846. 2011The molecular events in chordoma pathogenesis have not been fully delineated, particularly with respect to copy number changes...
- An integrated functional genomics approach identifies the regulatory network directed by brachyury (T) in chordomaAndrew C Nelson
Randall Division of Cell and Molecular Biophysics, New Hunt s House, King s College London, Guy s Campus, London, SE1 1UL, UK
J Pathol 228:274-85. 2012b>Chordoma is a rare malignant tumour of bone, the molecular marker of which is the expression of the transcription factor, brachyury...
- Chordoma: current concepts, management, and future directionsBrian P Walcott
Department of Neurosurgery, Massachusetts General Hospital and Harvard Medical School, Boston, MA 02114, USA
Lancet Oncol 13:e69-76. 2012b>Chordoma is a rare bone cancer that is aggressive, locally invasive, and has a poor prognosis...
- Chordoma: the nonsarcoma primary bone tumorRashmi Chugh
Department of Internal Medicine, Division of Hematology Oncology, 24 Frank Lloyd Wright Drive, A3400, P O Box 483, Ann Arbor, Michigan 48106, USA
Oncologist 12:1344-50. 2007..Radiation therapy may also salvage some patients with local recurrence. One series reported a 2-year actuarial local control rate of 33% for patients treated with proton beam irradiation...
- T (brachyury) gene duplication confers major susceptibility to familial chordomaXiaohong R Yang
Division of Cancer Epidemiology and Genetics, National Cancer Institute, National Institutes of Health, Department of Health and Human Services, Bethesda, MD, USA
Nat Genet 41:1176-8. 2009..we identified unique duplications of a region on 6q27 in four multiplex families with at least three cases of chordoma, a cancer of presumed notochordal origin...
- Phase II study of imatinib in advanced chordomaSilvia Stacchiotti
Fondazione Istitutodi Ricovero e Cura a Carattere Scientifico Istituto Nazionale Tumori, Milan, Italy
J Clin Oncol 30:914-20. 2012..To explore the antitumor activity of imatinib in patients with advanced platelet-derived growth factor β (PDGFB)/PDGF receptor β (PDGFRB)-positive chordomas...
- Genome-wide analysis of sixteen chordomas by comparative genomic hybridization and cytogenetics of the first human chordoma cell line, U-CH1S Scheil
Institute of Pathology, University Hospitals of Ulm, Ulm, Germany
Genes Chromosomes Cancer 32:203-11. 2001..Therefore, the loss of 3p might be an early event in chordoma genesis. The most common gains involved 7q (69%), 20 (50%), 5q (38%), and 12q (38%)...
- Brachyury, a crucial regulator of notochordal development, is a novel biomarker for chordomasS Vujovic
Wolfson Institute for Biomedical Research, University College London, and Department of Oral Pathology, King s College London Dental Institute at Guy s Hospital, WC1E 6BT, UK
J Pathol 209:157-65. 2006..These data provide compelling evidence that chordomas derive from notochord and demonstrate that brachyury is a specific marker for the notochord and notochord-derived tumours...
- Revisiting chordoma with brachyury, a "new age" marker: analysis of a validation study on 51 casesNirmala A Jambhekar
Department of Pathology, Tata Memorial Hospital, Parel, Mumbai, India
Arch Pathol Lab Med 134:1181-7. 2010b>Chordoma is a rare, notochordal tumor with a characteristic histomorphology and immunohistochemical profile. At times, it presents a diagnostic challenge, especially in small biopsies...
- Establishment and detailed functional and molecular genetic characterisation of a novel sacral chordoma cell line, MUG-Chor1Beate Rinner
Center for Medical Research, Medical University of Graz, Austria
Int J Oncol 40:443-51. 2012..To date, only two chordoma cell lines exist world-wide...
- Differential expression of microRNA (miRNA) in chordoma reveals a role for miRNA-1 in Met expressionZhenfeng Duan
Center for Sarcoma and Connective Tissue Oncology, Massachusetts General Hospital, Boston, Massachusetts 02114, USA
J Orthop Res 28:746-52. 2010..may have important diagnostic, prognostic, and therapeutic value, but there is no data on miRNA expression in chordoma. The purpose of this study was to identify the role of miRNAs in human chordoma...
- Role of the transcription factor T (brachyury) in the pathogenesis of sporadic chordoma: a genetic and functional-based studyNadege Presneau
UCL Cancer Institute, 72 Huntley Street, London WC1 6BT, UK
J Pathol 223:327-35. 2011..The U-CH1 cell line was validated as representing chordoma by the generation of xenografts, which showed typical chordoma morphology and immunohistochemistry in the NOD/..
- Chordoma: incidence and survival patterns in the United States, 1973-1995M L McMaster
Genetic Epidemiollogy Branch, Division of Cancer Epidemiology and Genetics, National Cancer Institute, National Institutes of Health, Bethesda, Maryland, USA
Cancer Causes Control 12:1-11. 2001b>Chordoma, a rare tumor arising from notochordal remnants, has been described to date only by single-institution case series or small population-based surveys.
- Identification of nucleus pulposus precursor cells and notochordal remnants in the mouse: implications for disk degeneration and chordoma formationKyung Suk Choi
Department of Molecular Genetics, University of Florida, College of Medicine, Gainesville, Florida 32610, USA
Dev Dyn 237:3953-8. 2008..remnants," which in humans have been proposed to give rise to a rare type of late-onset cancer called chordoma. Previously, this cell type had not been identified in the mouse model system...
- Carbon ion radiotherapy for sacral chordomaR Imai
Research Center Hospital for Charged Particle Therapy, National Institute of Radiological Sciences, Anagawa 4 9 1, Inage Ku, Chiba, Japan
Br J Radiol 84:S48-54. 2011..Here, we present a retrospective analysis of CIRT for sacral chordoma. The study included 95 patients with medically unresectable sacral chordomas treated between 1996 and 2007...
- Generation of chordoma cell line JHC7 and the identification of Brachyury as a novel molecular targetWesley Hsu
Department of Neurosurgery and Oncology, Brain Tumor Stem Cell Laboratory, The Johns Hopkins University School of Medicine, Baltimore, Maryland 21231, USA
J Neurosurg 115:760-9. 2011b>Chordoma is a malignant bone neoplasm hypothesized to arise from notochordal remnants along the length of the neuraxis...
- Efficacy of epidermal growth factor receptor targeting in advanced chordoma: case report and literature reviewSimon G Launay
Department of Medical Oncology, Institut Paoli Calmettes, 232 Bd Ste Marguerite, Marseille, 13009, France
BMC Cancer 11:423. 2011..They are characterized by slow growth and long history with frequent local relapses, and sometimes metastases. While chemotherapy is not efficient, imatinib has shown antitumor activity...
- Combination of PI3K/mTOR inhibition demonstrates efficacy in human chordomaJoseph Schwab
Department of Orthopedic Surgery, Section of Orthopedic Oncology, Sarcoma Research Laboratory, Massachusetts General Hospital, Boston, MA 02114, U S A
Anticancer Res 29:1867-71. 2009..PI-103 is a inhibitor of PI3K/AKT and mTOR activation. This study aims to determine whether the PI3K/mTOR pathway was active in chordomas and whether their inhibition could lead to decreased proliferation and increased apoptosis...
- Skull base chordomas: efficacy of surgery followed by carbon ion radiotherapySatoshi Takahashi
Department of Neurosurgery, Keio University School of Medicine, 35 Shinanomachi, Shinjuku ku, Tokyo 160 8582, Japan
Acta Neurochir (Wien) 151:759-69. 2009..We report the effectiveness of combined radical skull base surgery with carbon ion radiotherapy for treating skull base chordomas...
- Current clinical evidence for proton therapyMichael Brada
The Institute of Cancer Research and The Royal Marsden NHS Foundation Trust, Sutton, Surrey, UK
Cancer J 15:319-24. 2009..Any complex and expensive technology, including proton therapy, should not be employed on the basis of belief alone and requires testing to avoid inappropriate use of potential detriment to future patients...
- Intraosseous benign notochordal cell tumorHoda Zeinab M Amer
Department of Pathology and Laboratory Medicine, University of Medicine and Dentistry of New Jersey, New Jersey Medical School, 150 Bergen St, UH E155, Newark, NJ 07103, USA
Arch Pathol Lab Med 134:283-8. 2010..and described as giant vertebral notochordal rest, giant notochordal hamartoma of intraosseous origin, and benign chordoma ...
- Novel therapeutic targets in chordomaMohamad Bydon
The Johns Hopkins Hospital, Department of Neurological Surgery, 600 N Wolfe St, Meyer 7 109, Baltimore, MD 21287, USA
Expert Opin Ther Targets 16:1139-43. 2012..Chordomas are malignant bone tumors arising from notochordal remnants. They most commonly occur at the sacrum, skull base, and spine. The gold standard treatment for these tumors is a combination of en-bloc resection and radiation therapy...
- High-resolution whole-genome analysis of skull base chordomas implicates FHIT loss in chordoma pathogenesisRoberto Jose Diaz
Arthur and Sonia Labatt Brain Tumor Research Centre, The Hospital for Sick Children, Toronto, Ontario, Canada
Neoplasia 14:788-98. 2012b>Chordoma is a rare tumor arising in the sacrum, clivus, or vertebrae. It is often not completely resectable and shows a high incidence of recurrence and progression with shortened patient survival and impaired quality of life...
- From notochord formation to hereditary chordoma: the many roles of BrachyuryYutaka Nibu
Department of Cell and Developmental Biology, Weill Medical College of Cornell University, New York, NY 10065, USA
Biomed Res Int 2013:826435. 2013b>Chordoma is a rare, but often malignant, bone cancer that preferentially affects the axial skeleton and the skull base...
- Phase II study on lapatinib in advanced EGFR-positive chordomaS Stacchiotti
Sarcoma Unit, Department of Cancer Medicine, Fondazione IRCCS Istituto Nazionale Tumori, Via Venezian 1, 20133 Milan, Italy
Ann Oncol 24:1931-6. 2013To report on a prospective, investigator-driven, phase II study on lapatinib in epidermal growth factor receptor (EGFR)-positive advanced chordoma patients.
- Establishment and characterization of a primary human chordoma xenograft modelI Mei Siu
Department of Neurosurgery, The Johns Hopkins University, Baltimore, MD, USA
J Neurosurg 116:801-9. 2012..Currently, there are only a few established chordoma cell lines and no primary xenograft model...
- Characterization of cancer stem-like cells in chordomaEsra Aydemir
Department of Genetics and Bioengineering, Yeditepe University, Istanbul, Turkey
J Neurosurg 116:810-20. 2012..b>Chordoma cells and cancer stem-like cells share similar characteristics, including self-renewal, differentiation, and ..
- A common single-nucleotide variant in T is strongly associated with chordomaNischalan Pillay
Cancer Institute, University College London, UK
Nat Genet 44:1185-7. 2012b>Chordoma is a rare malignant bone tumor that expresses the transcription factor T. We conducted an association study of 40 individuals with chordoma and 358 ancestry-matched controls, with replication in an independent cohort...
- Chordoma: review of clinicoradiological features and factors affecting survivalM Y Soo
Department of Radiology, Westmead Hospital, Westmead, New South Wales, Australia
Australas Radiol 45:427-34. 2001..Except for complete surgical excision followed by radiotherapy in the subset of patients with sacrospinal tumours, none of the other clinical indicators show a statistical significant influence on survival...
- Randomised trial of proton vs. carbon ion radiation therapy in patients with chordoma of the skull base, clinical phase III study HIT-1-StudyAnna V Nikoghosyan
Dept of Clinical Radiology, University of Heidelberg, INF 400, 69120 Heidelberg, Germany
BMC Cancer 10:607. 2010..Proton therapy is the gold standard in the treatment of skull base chordomas. However, high-LET beams such as carbon ions theoretically offer biologic advantages by enhanced biologic effectiveness in slow-growing tumors...
- Analysis of receptor tyrosine kinases (RTKs) and downstream pathways in chordomasElena Tamborini
Experimental Molecular Pathology, Department of Pathology, Fondazione IRCCS Istituto Tumori Milano, Via G Venezian 1, 20133 Milano, Italy
Neuro Oncol 12:776-89. 2010..families; (ii) support the idea that a combination of upstream antagonists and mTOR inhibitors enhances the control of tumor growth; and (iii) indicate that the 4E-BP1/eIF4E pathway is a major regulator of protein synthesis in chordoma.
- Effectiveness of cetuximab/gefitinib in the therapy of a sacral chordomaHolger Hof
Department of Radiation Oncology, University of Heidelberg, Heidelberg, Germany
Onkologie 29:572-4. 2006..Chordomas are rare tumors of the skull base and the spine. Treatment is difficult since conventional radiotherapy or chemotherapy have only limited effects...
- Potential therapeutic targets for chordoma: PI3K/AKT/TSC1/TSC2/mTOR pathwayN Presneau
UCL Cancer Institute, University College London, 72 Huntley Street, London WC1E 6BT, UK
Br J Cancer 100:1406-14. 2009..The aim of this study was to identify potential molecular targets for the treatment of chordoma. In view of the reported association of chordoma and tuberous sclerosis complex syndrome, and the available ..
- Effectiveness and safety of spot scanning proton radiation therapy for chordomas and chondrosarcomas of the skull base: first long-term reportCarmen Ares
Center for Proton Radiation Therapy, Paul Scherrer Institute, Villigen, Switzerland
Int J Radiat Oncol Biol Phys 75:1111-8. 2009..To evaluate effectiveness and safety of spot-scanning-based proton radiotherapy (PT) in skull-base chordomas and chondrosarcomas...
- Proton radiation therapy for chordomas and chondrosarcomas of the skull baseE B Hug
Department of Radiation Medicine, Loma Linda University Medical Center, California 92354, USA
J Neurosurg 91:432-9. 1999....
- Epidermal growth factor receptor (EGFR) status in chordomaKonrad Ptaszynski
Department of Pathology, Maria Skłodowska Curie Memorial Cancer Center and Institute of Oncology, Warsaw
Pol J Pathol 60:81-7. 2009b>Chordoma is a rare tumour arising from the embryonal remnants of a notochord occurring most commonly in the sacrococcygeal as well as head and neck locations. Current treatment includes surgery and/or proton beam radiotherapy...
- Clinical outcome of sacral chordoma with carbon ion radiotherapy compared with surgeryYoshihiro Nishida
Department of Orthopaedic Surgery, Nagoya University Graduate School of Medicine, Nagoya, Japan
Int J Radiat Oncol Biol Phys 79:110-6. 2011To evaluate the efficacy, post-treatment function, toxicity, and complications of carbon ion radiotherapy (RT) for sacral chordoma compared with surgery.
- 'The chicken or the egg?' dilemma strikes back for the controlling mechanism in chordoma(#)Karoly Szuhai
Department of Molecular Cell Biology, Leiden University Medical Center, Einthovenweg 20, 2330 RC, Leiden, The Netherlands
J Pathol 228:261-5. 2012b>Chordoma is a rare malignant tumour of bone showing notochordal differentiation with characteristic expression of the transcription factor brachyury (T)...
- Diagnosing an extra-axial chordoma of the proximal tibia with the help of brachyury, a molecule required for notochordal differentiationRoberto Tirabosco
Department of Radiology, Royal National Orthopaedic Hospital, Stanmore, Middlesex, HA7 4LP, UK
Skeletal Radiol 36:59-65. 2007..In contrast, making a robust diagnosis of an extra-axial chordoma has been difficult in the absence of specific markers for chordomas...
- Differential proteomic profiling of chordomas and analysis of prognostic factorsHua Zhou
Department of Orthopedics, Peking University Third Hospital, Beijing, China
J Surg Oncol 102:720-7. 2010The recurrence rate of chordoma is high, and the prognosis is poor.
- Reconstruction of extensive partial or total sacrectomy defects with a transabdominal vertical rectus abdominis myocutaneous flapBrian S Glatt
Division of Plastic and Reconstructive Surgery, Department of Surgery, Memorial Sloan Kettering Cancer Center, New York, NY 10021, USA
Ann Plast Surg 56:526-30; discussion 530-1. 2006..It has a low incidence of complications, low morbidity, and is easy to perform with a high success rate...
- A treatment planning comparison of combined photon-proton beams versus proton beams-only for the treatment of skull base tumorsLoic Feuvret
Institut Curie, Centre de protonthérapie d Orsay, Orsay Cedex, France
Int J Radiat Oncol Biol Phys 69:944-54. 2007..To compare treatment planning between combined photon-proton planning (CP) and proton planning (PP) for skull base tumors, so as to assess the potential limitations of CP for these tumors...
- Current comprehensive management of cranial base chordomas: 10-year meta-analysis of observational studiesSalvatore Di Maio
Department of Neurological Surgery, University of Washington, Harborview Medical Center, Seattle, Washington 98104, USA
J Neurosurg 115:1094-105. 2011..This meta-analysis measures the relationship of complete resection and type of adjuvant radiation therapy to 5-year progression-free survival (PFS) and overall survival (OS) of cranial base chordomas...
- Systemic therapy options for unresectable and metastatic chordomasSilvia Stacchiotti
Sarcoma Unit, Department of Cancer Medicine, Fondazione IRCCS Istituto Nazionale Tumori, Via Venezian 1, 20133 Milan, Italy
Curr Oncol Rep 13:323-30. 2011b>Chordoma is an exceedingly rare tumor, marked by a slow growth rate. Surgery is the treatment of choice, but the most frequent sites of origin (spine and skull base) make treatment of primary disease challenging...
- Identification of repurposed small molecule drugs for chordoma therapyMenghang Xia
NIH Chemical Genomics Center, National Center for Advancing Translational Sciences, National Institutes of Health, Bethesda, MD, USA
Cancer Biol Ther 14:638-47. 2013b>Chordoma is a rare, slow growing malignant tumor arising from remnants of the fetal notochord. Surgery is the first choice for chordoma treatment, followed by radiotherapy, although postoperative complications remain significant...
- Wide resection of sacral chordoma via a posterior approachApichat Asavamongkolkul
Department of Orthopaedic Surgery, Faculty of Medicine Siriraj Hospital, Mahidol University, Bangkok, 10700, Thailand
Int Orthop 36:607-12. 2012The study was carried out to report the results of wide resection in sacral chordoma using a posterior approach and gauze packing technique.
- The role of epidermal growth factor receptor in chordoma pathogenesis: a potential therapeutic targetAsem Shalaby
UCL Cancer Institute, 72 Huntley Street, London WC1 6BT, UK
J Pathol 223:336-46. 2011b>Chordoma, the molecular hallmark of which is T (brachyury), is a rare malignant bone tumour with a high risk of local recurrence and a tumour from which metastatic disease is a common late event...
- Frequent deletion of the CDKN2A locus in chordoma: analysis of chromosomal imbalances using array comparative genomic hybridisationK H Hallor
Department of Clinical Genetics, Lund University Hospital, Lund SE 221 85, Sweden
Br J Cancer 98:434-42. 2008The initiating somatic genetic events in chordoma development have not yet been identified...
- Operative management of sacral chordomaBruno Fuchs
Departments of Orthopedics and Surgical Pathology, Mayo Clinic, Rochester, Minnesota 55905, USA
J Bone Joint Surg Am 87:2211-6. 2005Sacrococcygeal chordoma presents a difficult diagnostic and therapeutic problem, with a high rate of local recurrence. The purpose of this report is to define the importance of adequate surgical treatment for optimum outcome and survival.
- Stereotactic radiosurgery for chordoma: a report from the North American Gamma Knife ConsortiumHideyuki Kano
Department of Neurological Surgery, and Radiation Oncology, University of Pittsburgh Medical Center, Pittsburgh, Pennsylvania, USA
Neurosurgery 68:379-89. 2011..Although considered slow-growing, low-grade malignancies, chordomas are locally aggressive and destructive tumors with high recurrence rates...
- Reconstruction of extensive defects from posterior en bloc resection of sacral tumors with human acellular dermal matrix and gluteus maximus myocutaneous flapsHormuzdiyar H Dasenbrock
School of Medicine, Johns Hopkins University, Baltimore, Maryland 21287, USA
Neurosurgery 69:1240-7. 2011..However, reconstruction of the resultant extensive soft-tissue defects is challenging because a vertical rectus abdominis myocutaneous flap is not harvested...
- Analysis of prognostic factors for patients with chordoma with use of the California Cancer RegistryJoe Lee
Department of Orthopaedic Surgery, University of California, Irvine, Irvine, California, USA
J Bone Joint Surg Am 94:356-63. 2012b>Chordoma is the most common primary malignant tumor of the spine. It is extremely rare and has been studied primarily in single-institution case series...
- Proton therapy in chordoma of the base of the skull: a systematic reviewMaurizio Amichetti
ATreP Provincial Agency for Proton Therapy, Via F lli Perini, 181, 38100 Trento, Italy
Neurosurg Rev 32:403-16. 2009b>Chordoma is a rare, slow-growing, locally aggressive, primary bone tumor that arises from the skull base region in approximately 25-35% of cases...
- Chordoma and chondrosarcoma gene profile: implications for immunotherapyJoseph H Schwab
Department of Surgery, Orthopedic Service, Memorial Sloan Kettering Cancer Center, New York, NY 10021, USA
Cancer Immunol Immunother 58:339-49. 2009b>Chordoma and chondrosarcoma are malignant bone tumors characterized by the abundant production of extracellular matrix...
- Emerging role of proton beam radiation therapy for chordoma and chondrosarcoma of the skull baseQuynh Nhu Nguyen
Department of Radiation Oncology, The University of Texas M D Anderson Cancer Center, Unit 97, 1515 Holcombe Boulevard, Houston, TX 77030, USA
Curr Oncol Rep 10:338-43. 2008..Compared with other forms of radiation therapy, proton beam therapy has been used to increase the dose delivered to the tumor while elegantly sparing dosing to adjacent critical normal structures...
- Establishment and characterization of a novel chordoma cell line: CH22Xianzhe Liu
Department of Orthopaedic Surgery, Massachusetts General Hospital and Harvard Medical School, Boston, MA 02114, USA
J Orthop Res 30:1666-73. 2012b>Chordoma is a rare primary malignant bone tumor and there exist only a few established human chordoma cell lines. The scarcity of robust chordoma cell lines has limited the ability to study this tumor...
- Characterization and analysis of human chordoma cell linesCao Yang
Department of Orthopaedic Surgery, Sarcoma Biology Laboratory, Center for Sarcoma and Connective Tissue Oncology, Massachusetts General Hospital and Harvard Medical School, Boston, MA 02114, USA
Spine (Phila Pa 1976) 35:1257-64. 2010An experimental study to investigate the characterization of 3 chordoma cell lines.
- Clinical results of proton beam therapy for skull base chordomaHiroshi Igaki
Proton Medical Research Center, University Hospital, University of Tsukuba, Ibaraki, Japan
Int J Radiat Oncol Biol Phys 60:1120-6. 2004To evaluate clinical results of proton beam therapy for patients with skull base chordoma.
- On the cost-effectiveness of Carbon ion radiation therapy for skull base chordomaOliver Jäkel
Department of Medical Physics in Radiation Oncology, Heidelberg, Germany
Radiother Oncol 83:133-8. 2007The cost-effectiveness of Carbon ion radiotherapy (RT) for patients with skull base chordoma is analyzed.
- The gluteus maximus muscle flap for reconstruction of sacral chordoma defectsPoh Koon Koh
Department of Plastic Surgery, Singapore General Hospital, Singapore
Ann Plast Surg 53:44-9. 2004Four patients diagnosed with sacral chordoma underwent reconstruction with the gluteus maximus flap using an approach based on available muscle remnants and their residual blood supply...
- Optimal treatment planning for skull base chordoma: photons, protons, or a combination of both?Mylin A Torres
Department of Radiation Oncology, The University of Texas MD Anderson Cancer Center, Houston, TX 77030, USA
Int J Radiat Oncol Biol Phys 74:1033-9. 2009..We compared dosimetry of proton (PR), intensity modulated radiation therapy (IMRT) photon (PH), and combined PR and IMRT PH (PP) irradiation of skull base chordomas to determine the most optimal technique...
- Differential expression of epidermal growth factor receptor, c-Met, and HER2/neu in chordoma compared with 17 other malignanciesPaul M Weinberger
Section of Otolaryngology, Yale University, New Haven, CT 06520 8041, USA
Arch Otolaryngol Head Neck Surg 131:707-11. 2005..To examine the expression of c-Met, c-Erb-b2 (HER2/neu), and epidermal growth factor (EGFR) in a cohort of 12 chordomas, based on the current and future availability of targeted molecular inhibitors...
- Carbon ion radiotherapy for chordomas and low-grade chondrosarcomas of the skull base. Results in 67 patientsDaniela Schulz-Ertner
Department of Clinical Radiology, University of Heidelberg, Germany
Strahlenther Onkol 179:598-605. 2003..To prospectively evaluate outcome and toxicity after carbon ion radiotherapy (RT) in chordomas and low-grade chondrosarcomas...
- A case of coccygeal chondroid chordoma in a cat: morphological and immunohistochemical featuresAntonio Carminato
Department of Histopathology, Istituto Zooprofilattico Sperimentale delle Venezie, Legnaro, PD, Italy
J Vet Diagn Invest 20:679-81. 2008..A diagnosis of chondroid chordoma was made based on histomorphological features and immunohistochemical results...
- Coccygeal chordoma in a dogJohn S Munday
Athens Diagnostic Laboratory, Department of Veterinary Pathology, College of Veterinary Medicine, University of Georgia, Athens, GA 30602, USA
J Vet Diagn Invest 15:285-8. 2003..The histology and immunohistochemistry are consistent with that reported for chordoma. Although 4 chordomas have previously been reported in dogs, this is the first case in which immunohistochemistry ..
- Suspected metastatic coccygeal chordoma in a ferret (Mustela putorius furo)John S Munday
Athens Diagnostic Laboratory and Department of Veterinary Pathology, College of Veterinary Medicine, University of Georgia, Athens, GA 30602, USA
J Vet Diagn Invest 16:454-8. 2004A chordoma was removed from the tail base of a 6.5-year-old ferret (Mustela putorius furo). A nodule was observed in the area of tumor development when the ferret was purchased at 3 months of age...
- Radiographic, computed tomographic and histopathologic appearance of a presumed spinal chordoma in a dogAnthony P Pease
Affiliated Veterinary Specialists P A, Maitland, FL 32751, USA
Vet Radiol Ultrasound 43:338-42. 2002..stellate in appearance with vacuolated cytoplasm (physaliferous cells) and mucinous background consistent with a chordoma. Chordoma is a rare, skeletal neoplasm that originates from mesoderm-derived notochord and has been reported in ..
- Chordoma of the spinal columnDaniel M Sciubba
Department of Neurological Surgery, Johns Hopkins University, Meyer 7 109, 600 North Wolfe Street, Baltimore, MD 21287, USA
Neurosurg Clin N Am 19:5-15. 2008....
- Immunohistochemical analysis of receptor tyrosine kinase signal transduction activity in chordomaJ H Fasig
Department of Pathology, Vanderbilt University Medical Center, Nashville, TN 37232, USA
Neuropathol Appl Neurobiol 34:95-104. 2008Currently, there are no effective chemotherapeutic protocols for chordoma. Reports of receptor tyrosine kinase (RTK) expression in chordoma suggest that these tumours may respond to kinase inhibitor therapy...
- Response to erlotinib in a patient with treatment refractory chordomaNimit Singhal
Adelaide Cancer Centre, Ashford, South Australia, Australia
Anticancer Drugs 20:953-5. 2009..We report a case where treatment with erlotinib, an epidermal growth factor receptor tyrosine kinase inhibitor, induced symptomatic and radiological response in a patient with disease refractory to imatinib and vascular disrupting agent...
- Effect of carbon ion radiotherapy for sacral chordoma: results of Phase I-II and Phase II clinical trialsReiko Imai
Research Center Hospital for Charged Particle Therapy, National Institute of Radiological Sciences, Chiba, Japan
Int J Radiat Oncol Biol Phys 77:1470-6. 2010To summarize the results of treatment for sacral chordoma in Phase I-II and Phase II carbon ion radiotherapy trials for bone and soft-tissue sarcomas.
- Analysis of the fibroblastic growth factor receptor-RAS/RAF/MEK/ERK-ETS2/brachyury signalling pathway in chordomasAsem A E Shalaby
UCL Cancer Institute, London, UK
Mod Pathol 22:996-1005. 2009..The key genetic events responsible for the initiation and progression of chordomas remain to be discovered...
- Familial chordoma, a tumor of notochordal remnants, is linked to chromosome 7q33M J Kelley
Department of Medicine, Duke University, and Durham Veterans Affairs Hospital, Durham, NC, USA
Am J Hum Genet 69:454-60. 2001b>Chordoma is a rare tumor originating from notochordal remnants that is usually diagnosed during midlife. We performed a genomewide analysis for linkage in a family with 10 individuals affected by chordoma...
- Chordoma and chondrosarcoma: similar, but quite different, skull base tumorsKaith Almefty
Department of Neurosurgery, University of Arkansas for Medical Sciences, Little Rock, Arkansas 72205, USA
Cancer 110:2457-67. 2007b>Chordoma and chondrosarcoma of the skull base are frequently amalgamated because of similar anatomic location, clinical presentation, and radiologic findings. The chondroid chordoma variant has been reported to carry a better prognosis...
- Metastatic disease from chordomaGloria Vergara
Servicio de Oncologia Radioterapica, Hospital Puerta de Hierro, Madrid, Spain
Clin Transl Oncol 10:517-21. 2008..When we analyzed our series with 35 chordomas studied and treated between 1975 and 2002, we found three patients that experienced a systemic dissemination...
- Intradural clival chordoma and ecchordosis physaliphora: a challenging differential diagnosis: case reportRiccardo Ciarpaglini
Center of Surgery for Pituitary Tumours and Endoscopic Skull Base Surgery, Neurosurgical Department, Bellaria Hospital, Bologna, Italy
Neurosurgery 64:E387-8; discussion E388. 2009..We describe these 2 entities and their differential diagnoses, clinical courses, and management. This is the first reported case to be treated using a neuroendoscopic technique...
- Clinical and histopathologic features of chordomas in children and young adultsRobert V Ridenour
Department of Laboratory Medicine and Pathology, Mayo Clinic, 200 First Street SW, Rochester, MN 55905, USA
Pediatr Dev Pathol 13:9-17. 2010b>Chordoma is a tumor of the axial skeleton that is distinctly uncommon in children and adolescents...
- Long-term control of clival chordoma with initial aggressive surgical resection and gamma knife radiosurgery for recurrenceEiji Ito
Department of Neurosurgery, Fukushima Medical University, 1 Hikarigaoka, Fukushima 960 1295, Japan
Acta Neurochir (Wien) 152:57-67; discussion 67. 2010..This study analyzed long-term outcomes for clival chordomas after initial aggressive surgical resection and gamma knife radiosurgery for recurrence and investigated clinical factors predicting recurrence...
- Intradural drop metastasis of a clival chordomaMichael Patrick Martin
The University of Queensland, Brisbane, Australia
J Clin Neurosci 16:1105-7. 2009A 69-year-old man with a history of clival chordoma presented with cauda equina syndrome. A mass impinging on the cauda equina was detected on MRI scans and it was initially thought to be a sequestered disc...
- Notochordal remnant-derived mass: ecchordosis physaliphora or chordoma?Junji Takeyama
Pathology 38:599-600. 2006
- Cervical chordoma in childhood without typical vertebral bony destruction: case report and review of the literatureHua Zhou
Department of Orthopedics, Peking University Third Hospital, Beijing, China
Spine (Phila Pa 1976) 34:E493-7. 2009..Case report...
- Residual postoperative tumour volume predicts outcome after high-dose radiotherapy for chordoma and chondrosarcoma of the skull base and spineS Potluri
Oncology Centre Box 193, Addenbrooke s Hospital, Hills Road, Cambridge, UK
Clin Oncol (R Coll Radiol) 23:199-208. 2011..This study reviewed our outcomes, in relation to residual tumour volume and radiation dose, in order to inform our future practice...
- Does insulin-like growth factor 1 receptor (IGF-1R) targeting provide new treatment options for chordomas? A retrospective clinical and immunohistochemical studySusanne Scheipl
Department of Orthopaedics and Orthopaedic Surgery, Medical University of Graz, Graz, Austria
Histopathology 60:999-1003. 2012The overall prognosis of chordoma is poor, and current treatment options are limited. The insulin-like growth factor 1 receptor (IGF-1R) pathway is important for cell signalling, and attractive for selective inhibition...
- Endovascular occlusion of a lacerated primitive trigeminal artery during surgical resection of clival chordoma. a case reportG Baltsavias
Department of Neuroradiology, University Hospital of Zurich, Zurich, Switzerland
Interv Neuroradiol 16:204-7. 2010We describe a case of a persistent primitive trigeminal artery (PPTA) coexistent with a clival chordoma. During surgery of the tumor, the partially incorporated PPTA was inadvertently traumatized and ruptured...
- Identifying mechanisms for therapeutic intervention in chordoma: c-Met oncoproteinElena Ostroumov
From the Centre for Bioengineering Research and Education, University of Calgary, Calgary, Alberta, Canada
Spine (Phila Pa 1976) 33:2774-80. 2008A human sacral chordoma cell line, CCL3, was established and in vitro characterization of c-Met oncoprotein in chordoma cells was performed.
- Intradural spinal seeding of a clival chordomaS Asano
Department of Neurosurgery, The University of Tokyo Hospital, Tokyo, Japan
Acta Neurochir (Wien) 145:599-603; discussion 603. 2003Following recent progress in radiological and surgical techniques for treating skull base tumours, more attention should be paid to the relatively rare phenomenon of intradural spinal seeding in cases of clival chordoma.
- Hypofractionated stereotactic radiation therapy for skull base and upper cervical chordoma and chondrosarcoma: preliminary resultsHo Shin Gwak
Department of Neurosurgery, Korea Institute of Radiological and Medical Science, Seoul, Korea
Stereotact Funct Neurosurg 83:233-43. 2005b>Chordoma and chondrosarcoma are rare tumors of the base of the skull and are difficult candidates for surgical treatment. They are also usually resistant to conventional radiation therapy...
- Evidence for PDGFRA, PDGFRB and KIT deregulation in an NSCLC patientT Negri
Br J Cancer 96:180-1. 2007
- Endonasal endoscopic approach for the resection of chondroid chordoma with skull base involvementMustafa Sagit
Department of Otorhinolaryngology, Kayseri Training and Research Hospital, Kayseri, Turkey
J Craniofac Surg 22:1720-1. 2011b>Chordoma is an uncommon tumor of bone that is believed to develop from remnants of the notochord. The chondroid variant of chordomas contains elements possessing both chordoma and cartilaginous tissues...
- A comprehensive analysis of intracranial chordoma and survival: a systematic reviewBrian J Jian
Department of Neurological Surgery, University of California at San Francisco, San Francisco, California, USA
Br J Neurosurg 25:446-53. 2011Despite the published information on cranial chordoma, most of the data regarding survival in these patients has come from a single institution...
- The next step: innovative molecular targeted therapies for treatment of intracranial chordoma patientsJeffrey J Barry
Department of Neurological Surgery, University of California at San Francisco, San Francisco, California 94117, USA
Neurosurgery 68:231-40; discussion 240-1. 2011..Surgery and radiotherapy are the treatment mainstays of chordoma, but the chance of local recurrence remains high...
- Derivation and characterization of an extra-axial chordoma cell line (EACH-1) from a scapular tumorAmalia M DeComas
Ochsner Medical Center, New Orleans, LA 70121, USA
J Bone Joint Surg Am 92:1231-40. 2010..Few studies have been done on this neoplasm because of its rarity. In addition, there is a lack of a good in vitro model on which to perform more characterization...
- Methylthioadenosine phosphorylase and activated insulin-like growth factor-1 receptor/insulin receptor: potential therapeutic targets in chordomaJosh Sommer
Chordoma Foundation, Greensboro, NC, USA, and Division of Medical Oncology, Department of Medicine, Duke University Medical Center and Durham Veterans Affairs Medical Center, Durham, NC, USA
J Pathol 220:608-17. 2010Currently there is no effective chemotherapy for chordoma. Recent studies report co-expression of insulin-like growth factor-1 receptor (IGF1R) and its cognate ligand in chordoma, but it is unknown whether this receptor tyrosine kinase is ..
- Clival chordoma manifesting as nasal bleeding. A case reportRyuhei Kitai
Department of Neurosurgery, Faculty of Medical Sciences, University of Fukui, 23 Shimoaizuki Matsuoka, Fukui, 9111193, Japan
Neuroradiology 47:368-71. 2005b>Chordoma is a rare cartilaginous tumor, for which bleeding presentation is unusual. We report a case of rare hemorrhaged clival chordoma, which was diagnosed correctly by magnetic resonance imaging...
- Infections in surgery of primary tumors of the sacrumPietro Ruggieri
Department of Orthopedics, University of Bologna, Istituto Ortopedico Rizzoli, Bologna, Italy
Spine (Phila Pa 1976) 37:420-8. 2012..Retrospective case series...
- Brachyury, SOX-9, and podoplanin, new markers in the skull base chordoma vs chondrosarcoma differential: a tissue microarray-based comparative analysisGerard J Oakley
Department of Pathology, University of Pittsburgh Medical Center, Pittsburgh, PA 15261, USA
Mod Pathol 21:1461-9. 2008The distinction between chondrosarcoma and chordoma of the skull base/head and neck is prognostically important; however, both have sufficient morphologic overlap to make delineation difficult...
- Carbon ion radiotherapy for unresectable sacral chordomasReiko Imai
Research Center Hospital for Charged Particle Therapy, National Institute of Radiological Sciences, Chiba
Clin Cancer Res 10:5741-6. 2004..The purpose is to evaluate the efficacy and toxicity of carbon ion radiotherapy for unresectable sacral chordomas...
- Treatment planning intercomparison for spinal chordomas using intensity-modulated photon radiation therapy (IMRT) and carbon ionsD Schulz-Ertner
Department of Radiation Oncology, University of Heidelberg, Heidelberg, Germany
Phys Med Biol 48:2617-31. 2003..A combination of carbon ions and photon IMRT might be preferable in order to profit by the physical advantages of carbon ions while ensuring a safe treatment...
- Genetic Analysis of ChordomaMichael J Kelley; Fiscal Year: 2012..In this proposal, we propose to complement our ongoing genetic analysis of familial chordoma, a rare cancer thought to arise from notochord, with approaches being applied to individualization of common ..
- mTOR signaling and sporadic chordomasSangyeul Han; Fiscal Year: 2010..Molecular mechanism of chordoma development remains unknown...
- Third International Chordoma Research Workshop: Catalyzing New Advances in ChordoEDWARD LES; Fiscal Year: 2011DESCRIPTION (provided by applicant): This grant application requests partial support for the Third International Chordoma Research Workshop (ICRW) which will be coordinated and co-sponsored by the Chordoma Foundation, a 501(c)(3) ..
- Brachyury-downstream gene networks in the notochordAnna Di Gregorio; Fiscal Year: 2013..studies have indicated a direct association between the duplication of the human Brachyury locus and familial chordoma, a malignant notochord-derived tumor...
- Rare Cancer Genetics RegistryDianne M Finkelstein; Fiscal Year: 2013..Diagnoses of chordoma, uveal melanoma, Merkel cell carcinoma, vulvar cancer, and adenoid cystic carcinoma will be the focus of ..
- Fourth International Chordoma Research Workshop (ICRW)Patricia Cogswell; Fiscal Year: 2013DESCRIPTION (provided by applicant): This grant application requests partial support for the Fourth International Chordoma Research Workshop (ICRW) being coordinated and co-sponsored by the Chordoma Foundation, a 501(c)(3) nonprofit ..
- Phase I/II Trial of ZD1839 and Celecoxib in Ex-SmokersMichael Kelley; Fiscal Year: 2006..abstract_text> ..
- Measurement of Hypoxia in Non Small Cell Lung CarcinomaMichael Kelley; Fiscal Year: 2003..We believe the data from this pilot study will be useful to design future study(ies) with clinical endpoints and to guide selection of subjects for novel hypoxia-directed therapies in patients with NSCLC...
- GENETIC ANALYSIS OF HEREDITARY MACROTHROMBOCYTOPENIASMichael Kelley; Fiscal Year: 2002..When the causative gene is identified, biochemical and physiological analysis will be pursued including development of a murine model of the disease. ..
- Hypopituitarism after Moderate and Severe Head InjuryDaniel Kelly; Fiscal Year: 2008..By diagnosing and treating both acute and chronic traumatic neuroendocrine deficiencies, this study may dramatically improvethe long-term prognosis of many TBI patients. ..
- Cognitive Studies of Temporal Lobe Function in ManGuila Glosser; Fiscal Year: 2003..b) To assess the usefulness of presurgical fMRI activation measures during an allocentric spatial memory task for predicting memory performance following ATL. ..