Genomes and Genes
Summary: A sarcoma containing large spindle cells of smooth muscle. Although it rarely occurs in soft tissue, it is common in the viscera. It is the most common soft tissue sarcoma of the gastrointestinal tract and uterus. The median age of patients is 60 years. (From Dorland, 27th ed; Holland et al., Cancer Medicine, 3d ed, p1865)
Articles from Journal RESEARCH
Articles from Journal RESEARCH1
Publications340 found, 100 shown here
- Uterine leiomyoma versus leiomyosarcoma: a new attempt at differential diagnosis based on their cellular characteristicsK Watanabe
Pathology Division, Fukushima Medical University School of Medicine Hospital, Fukushima, Japan
Histopathology 48:563-8. 2006To differentiate uterine leiomyoma (LM) with 'pseudosarcomatous' features from leiomyosarcoma (LMS)...
- Leiomyosarcoma of the paratesticular region: a clinicopathologic studyC Fisher
Department of Pathology, The Royal Marsden NHS Trust, London, UK
Am J Surg Pathol 25:1143-9. 2001The behavior of leiomyosarcoma (LMS) is site related, but there are limited data on such tumors presenting in the paratesticular region...
- Efficacy and safety of trabectedin in patients with advanced or metastatic liposarcoma or leiomyosarcoma after failure of prior anthracyclines and ifosfamide: results of a randomized phase II study of two different schedulesGeorge D Demetri
Center for Sarcoma and Bone Oncology and Ludwig Center of Dana Farber Harvard Cancer Center, Dana Farber Cancer Institute, D1212 44 Binney St, Boston, MA 02115, USA
J Clin Oncol 27:4188-96. 2009..of trabectedin in a phase II, open-label, multicenter, randomized study in adult patients with unresectable/metastatic liposarcoma or leiomyosarcoma after failure of prior conventional chemotherapy including anthracyclines and ifosfamide.
- Gemcitabine and docetaxel in patients with unresectable leiomyosarcoma: results of a phase II trialMartee L Hensley
Memorial Sloan Kettering Cancer Center, New York, NY 10021, USA
J Clin Oncol 20:2824-31. 2002Few chemotherapy agents are active in leiomyosarcoma (LMS), particularly LMS that has progressed after doxorubicin treatment. We sought to determine the response to gemcitabine plus docetaxel among patients with LMS.
- Deficiency in p53 but not retinoblastoma induces the transformation of mesenchymal stem cells in vitro and initiates leiomyosarcoma in vivoRuth Rubio
Andalusian Stem Cell Bank, Centro de Investigacion Biomedica, Consejería de Salud Universidad de Granada, Granada, Spain
Cancer Res 70:4185-94. 2010..p53(-/-) or p53(-/-)Rb(-/-) MSCs originated leiomyosarcoma-like tumors, linking this type of smooth muscle sarcoma to p53 deficiency in fat tissue-derived MSCs...
- CSF1 expression in nongynecological leiomyosarcoma is associated with increased tumor angiogenesisInigo Espinosa
Department of Pathology, Stanford University Medical Center, Stanford, California, Spain
Am J Pathol 179:2100-7. 2011b>Leiomyosarcoma (LMS) is a malignant tumor of smooth muscle cells for which few effective therapies exist...
- Sunitinib malate in the treatment of recurrent or persistent uterine leiomyosarcoma: a Gynecologic Oncology Group phase II studyMartee L Hensley
Memorial Sloan Kettering Cancer Center, Department of Medical Oncology, 1275 York Avenue, New York, NY 10065, USA
Gynecol Oncol 115:460-5. 2009New agents are needed for patients with metastatic uterine leiomyosarcoma who progress after treatment with doxorubicin or gemcitabine-docetaxel. Agents targeting tumor vasculature have potential for activity in leiomyosarcoma...
- Malignant mesenchymal tumor with leiomyosarcoma, rhabdomyosarcoma, chondrosarcoma, and osteosarcoma differentiation: case report and literature reviewYao Feng Li
Department of Pathology, Tri Service General Hospital, Taipei, Taiwan, China
Diagn Pathol 6:35. 2011A case of malignant mesenchymoma of the bladder containing leiomyosarcoma, rhabdomyosarcoma, chondrosarcoma, osteosarcoma, and myxomatous components is described...
- Immunohistochemical studies on uterine carcinosarcoma, leiomyosarcoma, and endometrial stromal sarcoma: expression and prognostic importance of ten different markersRiitta Koivisto-Korander
Department of Obstetrics and Gynecology, University of Helsinki, PO Box 140, 00029 Helsinki, HUS, Finland
Tumour Biol 32:451-9. 2011..receptor A (PRA), and c-kit and their influence on survival in cases of uterine carcinosarcoma (CS), leiomyosarcoma (LMS), and endometrial stromal sarcoma (ESS) were evaluated...
- Canine gastric adenocarcinoma and leiomyosarcoma: a retrospective study of 21 cases (1986-1999) and literature reviewHeather M Swann
Section of Surgery, Department of Clinical Studies, Veterinary Hospital, University of Pennsylvania, Philadelphia 19104 6010, USA
J Am Anim Hosp Assoc 38:157-64. 2002..Both cases of a gastric leiomyosarcoma had metastatic disease involving the liver (n=2) and duodenum (n=1)...
- New insights in sarcoma oncogenesis: a comprehensive analysis of a large series of 160 soft tissue sarcomas with complex genomicsLaure Gibault
Genetics and Biology of Cancers, Institut Curie, Paris, France
J Pathol 223:64-71. 2011..These data suggest a very complex interplay between pathways downstream of PTEN and the WNT canonical pathway, providing new hints about SCG pathobiology and their potential therapeutic targets...
- Amplification of CDK4, MDM2, SAS and GLI genes in leiomyosarcoma, alveolar and embryonal rhabdomyosarcomaP Ragazzini
Laboratory of Oncologic Research, Rizzoli Orthopaedic Institute, Bologna, Italy
Histol Histopathol 19:401-11. 2004..These two seem to have a more similar behavior than anaplastic and classic embryonal that are classified in the same subtype...
- Diagnostic value of progesterone receptor and p53 expression in uterine smooth muscle tumorsIman H Hewedi
Pathology Department, Faculty of Medicine, Ain Shams University, Cairo, Egypt
Diagn Pathol 7:1. 2012..The diagnosis of uterine smooth muscle tumors depends on a combination of microscopic features. However, a small number of these tumors still pose difficult diagnostic challenges...
- Randomized phase III study comparing conventional-dose doxorubicin plus ifosfamide versus high-dose doxorubicin plus ifosfamide plus recombinant human granulocyte-macrophage colony-stimulating factor in advanced soft tissue sarcomas: A trial of the EuropeA Le Cesne
Institut Gustave Roussy, Villejuif, London, United Kingdom
J Clin Oncol 18:2676-84. 2000..This randomized multicenter study was designed to compare the activity of a high-dose doxorubicin-containing chemotherapy regimen with a conventional standard-dose regimen in adult patients with advanced soft tissue sarcomas (ASTS)...
- Histopathologic type: an independent prognostic factor in primary soft tissue sarcoma of the extremity?Jonathan B Koea
Department of Surgery, Memorial Sloan Kettering Cancer Center, New York, New York 10021, USA
Ann Surg Oncol 10:432-40. 2003..We attempted to define the effect of tumor histotype on local recurrence, distant metastasis, and disease-specific survival in patients with surgically treated primary extremity sarcoma...
- Genetic aberrations in soft tissue leiomyosarcomaJilong Yang
Department of Bone and Soft Tissue Tumor, Tianjin Cancer Hospital and Institute, Tianjin Medical University, Tianjin 30060, China
Cancer Lett 275:1-8. 2009b>Leiomyosarcoma is a malignant mesenchymal tumor composed of cells showing smooth muscle differentiation...
- The AKT-mTOR pathway plays a critical role in the development of leiomyosarcomasEva Hernando
Department of Pathology, Memorial Sloan Kettering Cancer Center, New York, New York 10021, USA
Nat Med 13:748-53. 2007..To determine the role of aberrant PI3K-AKT signaling in leiomyosarcoma pathogenesis, we genetically inactivated Pten in the smooth muscle cell lineage by cross-breeding Pten(loxP/..
- Gastrointestinal stromal tumors, intramural leiomyomas, and leiomyosarcomas in the duodenum: a clinicopathologic, immunohistochemical, and molecular genetic study of 167 casesMarkku Miettinen
Department of Soft Tissue Pathology, Armed Forces Institute of Patholgy, Washington, DC 20306 6000, USA
Am J Surg Pathol 27:625-41. 2003..The great majority of duodenal mesenchymal tumors are GISTs, which have a spectrum from small indolent tumors to overt sarcomas. LMs and LMSs are rare...
- Retrospective review of 208 patients with leiomyosarcoma of the uterus: prognostic indicators, surgical management, and adjuvant therapyRobert L Giuntoli
Division of Gynecologic Surgery, Mayo Clinic, Rochester, MN 55905, USA
Gynecol Oncol 89:460-9. 2003We evaluated the predictive value of several proposed prognostic indicators and the effect of surgical management and adjuvant therapy on clinical outcome associated with leiomyosarcoma (LMS) of the uterus.
- The MDM2 promoter polymorphism SNP309T-->G and the risk of uterine leiomyosarcoma, colorectal cancer, and squamous cell carcinoma of the head and neckP Alhopuro
Department of Medical Genetics, Biomedicum Helsinki, Finland
J Med Genet 42:694-8. 2005..Furthermore, SNP309 was proposed to be associated with accelerated soft tissue sarcoma formation in both hereditary (Li-Fraumeni) and sporadic cases in humans...
- Surveillance, epidemiology, and end results analysis of 2677 cases of uterine sarcoma 1989-1999Sandra E Brooks
Department of Obstetrics and Gynecology and Reproductive Sciences, University of Maryland School of Medicine, Baltimore, MD 21201, USA
Gynecol Oncol 93:204-8. 2004..To determine the association of race with incidence, histology, treatment, and survival in women with uterine sarcoma during the period 1989-1999...
- Superficial leiomyosarcoma: a clinicopathologic review and updateClarissa T Fauth
Department of Pathology and Laboratory Medicine, University of Calgary, Calgary, Alberta, Canada
J Cutan Pathol 37:269-76. 2010..Superficial leiomyosarcomas (SLMSs) are rare soft tissue malignancies. A clinicopathologic review of 25 cases was undertaken...
- Dedifferentiated liposarcomas with divergent myosarcomatous differentiation developed in the internal trunk: a study of 27 cases and comparison to conventional dedifferentiated liposarcomas and leiomyosarcomasMatthieu Bui Nguyen Binh
Department of Pathology, Institut Bergonié and Université Victor Segalen, Bordeaux, France
Am J Surg Pathol 31:1557-66. 2007..In about 5% cases, the dedifferentiated component is an heterologous sarcoma such as leiomyosarcoma or rhabdomyosarcoma...
- Childhood cutaneous leiomyosarcomaGéraldine Blaise
Department of Dermatopathology, University Hospital of Liege, Liege, Belgium
Pediatr Dermatol 26:477-9. 2009Cutaneous leiomyosarcoma is a soft tissue neoplasm exhibiting an aggressive local behavior and a potential for distant metastases. It is rare during childhood and diagnosis can be challenging both clinically and histologically...
- Integrated proteomics and genomics analysis reveals a novel mesenchymal to epithelial reverting transition in leiomyosarcoma through regulation of slugJilong Yang
Department of Pathology, The University of Texas M D Anderson Cancer Center, Houston, Texas 77030, USA
Mol Cell Proteomics 9:2405-13. 2010b>Leiomyosarcoma is one of the most common mesenchymal tumors...
- External validation of a prognostic nomogram for overall survival in women with uterine leiomyosarcomaAlexia Iasonos
Department of Biostatistics, Memorial Sloan Kettering Cancer Center, New York, NY, USA
Cancer 119:1816-22. 2013There is no validated system to identify prognostically distinct cohorts of women with uterine leiomyosarcoma (ULMS)...
- Leiomyosarcoma of the renal pelvisS M Moudouni
Department of Urology, B Hopital Pontchaillou, CHU Rennes, France
Scand J Urol Nephrol 35:425-7. 2001We report a case of renal leiomyosarcoma arising from the renal pelvis with immunohistochemical confirmation of the diagnosis...
- Phase II study of sunitinib malate, a multitargeted tyrosine kinase inhibitor in patients with relapsed or refractory soft tissue sarcomas. Focus on three prevalent histologies: leiomyosarcoma, liposarcoma and malignant fibrous histiocytomaS Tariq Mahmood
Sarcoma Program, H Lee Moffitt Cancer Center and Research Institute, Tampa, FL 33612, USA
Int J Cancer 129:1963-9. 2011..Patients with documented unresectable or metastatic STS (liposarcoma, leiomyosarcoma and malignant fibrous histiocytoma [MFH]), measurable disease, and 3 or less prior lines of therapy were ..
- DNA copy number changes in human malignant fibrous histiocytomas by array comparative genomic hybridisationStine H Kresse
Department of Tumour Biology, The Norwegian Radium Hospital, Oslo University Hospital, Oslo, Norway
PLoS ONE 5:e15378. 2010....
- Clinicopathological prognostic factors in soft tissue leiomyosarcoma: a multivariate analysisK Miyajima
Department of Anatomic Pathology, Graduate School of Medical Sciences, Kyushu University, Fukuoka, Japan
Histopathology 40:353-9. 2002Prognostic factors affecting survival in cases of leiomyosarcoma of soft parts were investigated in this study.
- Prognostic factors in soft tissue leiomyosarcoma of the extremities: a retrospective analysis of 42 casesD Massi
Department of Human Pathology and Oncology, University of Florence, Viale Morgagni, 85, 50134 Firenze, Italy
Eur J Surg Oncol 30:565-72. 2004..The goals of the present study were to describe the clinico-pathological and prognostic features of 42 patients affected by soft tissue LMS of the extremities...
- Superficial cutaneous leiomyosarcoma of the face: report of three casesTiago Torres
Dermatology Department, Hospital de Santo Antonio, Porto, Portugal
J Dermatol 38:373-6. 2011..Superficial cutaneous leiomyosarcomas on the head are very rare. We report three cases of superficial cutaneous leiomyosarcoma, one localized on the face and two on the forehead.
- Antibody therapy targeting the CD47 protein is effective in a model of aggressive metastatic leiomyosarcomaBadreddin Edris
Department of Pathology, Stanford University Medical Center, Stanford, CA 94305, USA
Proc Natl Acad Sci U S A 109:6656-61. 2012..b>Leiomyosarcoma (LMS) is a tumor of smooth muscle that can express varying levels of colony-stimulating factor-1 (CSF1), the ..
- Analysis of molecular cytogenetic alterations in uterine leiomyosarcoma by array-based comparative genomic hybridizationMohammad Raish
Department of Pharmaceutics, College of Pharmacy, King Saud University, Riyadh, Saudi Arabia
J Cancer Res Clin Oncol 138:1173-86. 2012The aim of this study was to identify novel genes following genomic DNA copy number changes using a genome-wide array-based comparative genomic hybridization (array-CGH) analysis in uterine leiomyosarcoma (ULMS).
- Incidence of uterine leiomyosarcoma and endometrial stromal sarcoma in Nordic countries: results from NORDCAN and NOCCA databasesR Koivisto-Korander
Department of Obstetrics and Gynecology, University of Helsinki, Helsinki, Finland
Maturitas 72:56-60. 2012..Here, we analyzed trends in incidence and occupational variation in risk of uterine leiomyosarcomas (LMS) and endometrial stromal sarcomas (ESS) in the Nordic countries aided by NORDCAN and NOCCA (Nordic Occupational Cancer) databases...
- A small-molecule inhibitor targeting the mitotic spindle checkpoint impairs the growth of uterine leiomyosarcomaWeiwei Shan
Division of Gynecologic Oncology, Department of Obstetrics and Gynecology, Dan L Duncan Cancer Center, Baylor College of Medicine, Houston, Texas 77030, USA
Clin Cancer Res 18:3352-65. 2012Uterine leiomyosarcoma (ULMS) is a poorly understood cancer with few effective treatments. This study explores the molecular events involved in ULMS with the goal of developing novel therapeutic strategies.
- The treatment of uterine sarcomasP Reichardt
Department of Interdisciplinary Oncology, Sarcoma Center Berlin Brandenburg, Helios Klinikum Berlin Buch, Berlin, Germany
Ann Oncol 23:x151-7. 2012..They consist of several distinct histological subtypes like leiomyosarcoma, endometrial stromal tumors, undifferentiated sarcomas, pure heterologous sarcomas, and mixed epithelial and ..
- Impact of radiotherapy on local control and survival in uterine sarcomas: a retrospective study from the Grup Oncologic Català-OccitàF Ferrer
Department of Radiotherapy, Hospital Clinic i Universitari, Barcelona, Spain
Int J Radiat Oncol Biol Phys 44:47-52. 1999....
- A phase II evaluation of trabectedin in the treatment of advanced, persistent, or recurrent uterine leiomyosarcoma: a gynecologic oncology group studyBradley J Monk
Creighton University School of Medicine at St Joseph s Hospital and Medical Center, Phoenix, AZ 85013, USA
Gynecol Oncol 124:48-52. 2012To estimate activity and safety of trabectedin 1.5 mg/m2 IV over 24 hours every 3 weeks (1 cycle) in uterine leiomyosarcoma.
- Leiomyosarcomas and most malignant fibrous histiocytomas share very similar comparative genomic hybridization imbalances: an analysis of a series of 27 leiomyosarcomasJ Derre
Laboratoire de Pathologie Moléculaire des Cancers, INSERM U509, Institut Curie, Paris, France
Lab Invest 81:211-5. 2001..Although MFH were once thought to be a separate member of the soft tissue sarcoma family, our observations support the hypothesis that MFH are a morphologic modulation in the tumoral progression of other sarcomas, particularly LMS...
- Expression of subtype-specific group 1 leiomyosarcoma markers in a wide variety of sarcomas by gene expression analysis and immunohistochemistryAnne M Mills
Department of Pathology, Stanford University Medical Center, Stanford, CA, USA
Am J Surg Pathol 35:583-9. 2011....
- EGFR inhibition abrogates leiomyosarcoma cell chemoresistance through inactivation of survival pathways and impairment of CSC potentialGiovanni Sette
Department of Hematology, Oncology and Molecular Medicine, Istituto Superiore di Sanita, Rome, Italy
PLoS ONE 7:e46891. 2012..Frequent recurrence of LMS and chemoresistance of relapsed patients may likely result from the failure to target CSC. Therefore, therapeutic cues coming from the cancer stem cell (CSC) field may drastically improve patient outcome...
- Management of superficial leiomyosarcoma: a retrospective study of 10 casesArata Tsutsumida
Department of Plastic and Reconstructive Surgery, Hokkaido University, Sapporo, Japan
Plast Reconstr Surg 116:8-12. 2005Superficial leiomyosarcoma is a rare soft-tissue tumor. Management of this tumor, including pathological evaluations and therapies, is not clearly defined in the existing literature.
- Primary leiomyosarcoma of the mandible. A case reportJoão de Jesus Viana Pinheiro
Universitary Hospital João de Barros Barreto, Department of Oral Pathology, School of Dentistry, Federal University of Para
Med Oral Patol Oral Cir Bucal 12:E56-9. 2007The aim of this article is to describe a case of leiomyosarcoma of the mandible with immunohistochemical analysis that was useful in making the final diagnosis...
- Uterine leiomyosarcoma arising in leiomyoma: clinicopathological study of four cases and literature reviewHiroyuki Yanai
Department of Pathology, Okayama University Hospital, 2 5 1 Shikata cho, Okayama, Japan
Pathol Int 60:506-9. 2010In this study we examined four cases of leiomyosarcoma (LMS) arising in leiomyoma (LM). The patients ranged from 40 to 64 years old. Symptoms were unspecific and preoperative diagnosis of LMS had not been made...
- ROR2 is a novel prognostic biomarker and a potential therapeutic target in leiomyosarcoma and gastrointestinal stromal tumourBadreddin Edris
Department of Pathology, Stanford University School of Medicine, CA, USA
J Pathol 227:223-33. 2012..screen of gene expression data for 48 RTKs in 148 sarcomas showed that ROR2 was expressed in a subset of leiomyosarcoma (LMS), gastrointestinal stromal tumour (GIST) and desmoid-type fibromatosis (DTF)...
- Constitutive activation with overexpression of the mTORC2-phospholipase D1 pathway in uterine leiomyosarcoma and STUMP: morphoproteomic analysis with therapeutic implicationsSadhna Dhingra
Department of Pathology and Laboratory Medicine, UT Health Medical School at Houston, 6431 Fannin St, Houston, TX 77030, USA
Int J Clin Exp Pathol 4:134-46. 2011..The results show significant activation with overexpression of phosphorylated mTORC2 complex in uterine leiomyosarcoma (ULMS) and smooth muscle tumors of uncertain malignant potential (STUMP) as evidenced by nuclear localization ..
- Molecular pathology of sarcomasDaniel Osuna
Laboratory of Molecular Pathology, Centro de Investigación del Cáncer IBMCC, Campus Miguel de Unamuno s n, 37007 Salamanca, Spain
Rev Recent Clin Trials 4:12-26. 2009..Neoplasias such as leiomyosarcoma or liposarcoma are more frequent in patients over 55 years...
- Trimetrexate in the treatment of recurrent or advanced leiomyosarcoma of the uterus: a phase II study of the Gynecologic Oncology GroupHarriet O Smith
Division of Gynecologic Oncology, Department of Obstetrics and Gynecology, University of New Mexico Health Sciences Center, Albuquerque, New Mexico 87131, USA
Gynecol Oncol 84:140-4. 2002This study was conducted to determine the objective response of trimetrexate in patients with advanced or recurrent leiomyosarcoma of the uterus.
- Surgical resection of pulmonary and extrapulmonary recurrences of uterine leiomyosarcomaMario M Leitao
Gynecology Service, Department of Surgery, Memorial Sloan Kettering Cancer Center, New York, New York 10021, USA
Gynecol Oncol 87:287-94. 2002The objective was to determine long-term survival and predictors of outcome in a retrospective cohort of patients who underwent surgical resection of recurrent uterine leiomyosarcoma (LMS).
- Postradiotherapy intratesticular leiomyosarcomaBenjamin K Canales
Department of Urology, University of Minnesota, Minneapolis, Minnesota, USA
Urology 66:657. 2005We report what we believe to be the first case of high-grade, radiation-induced, intratesticular leiomyosarcoma in a 30-year-old man who had had testicular relapse of acute lymphoblastic leukemia at age 12 years that was treated with ..
- Uterine leiomyosarcomas are characterized by high p16, p53 and MIB1 expression in comparison with usual leiomyomas, leiomyoma variants and smooth muscle tumours of uncertain malignant potentialH A McBride
Department of Pathology, Royal Group of Hospitals Trust, Belfast, Northern Ireland, UK
Histopathology 50:851-8. 2007..p16 expression was also compared with that of p53 and MIB1...
- Diagnostic and prognostic gene expression signatures in 177 soft tissue sarcomas: hypoxia-induced transcription profile signifies metastatic potentialPrincy Francis
Department of Oncology, Institute of Clinical Sciences, Lund University, Lund, Sweden
BMC Genomics 8:73. 2007..We assessed the diagnostic and prognostic value of array-based gene expression profiles using 27 k cDNA microarrays in 177, mainly high-grade, STS of 13 histopathological subtypes...
- Expression of Ki-67, P53 and progesterone receptors in uterine smooth muscle tumors. Diagnostic valueDavor Petrović
Department of Gynecological and Prenatal Pathology, University Hospital Center Zagreb, Zagreb, Croatia
Coll Antropol 34:93-7. 2010..Immunoassaying for Ki-67, P53 and PR are such parameters. The panel of their expression in specific case eases diagnosis...
- Inferior vena cava leiomyosarcoma: is reconstruction necessary after resection?Rouzbeh Daylami
Department of Surgery, University of California Davis Medical Center, Sacramento, CA
J Am Coll Surg 210:185-90. 2010..Leiomyosarcomas of the inferior vena cava represent a rare form of soft-tissue sarcomas. Management strategies necessarily vary because of limited experience. Questions about necessity of multimodality therapy and IVC reconstruction remain...
- Common genetic changes in leiomyosarcoma and gastrointestinal stromal tumour: implication for ataxia telangiectasia mutated involvementAliya Ul-Hassan
Royal Hallamshire Hospital, University of Sheffield, UK
Int J Exp Pathol 90:549-57. 2009..b>Leiomyosarcoma is a malignant tumour of smooth muscle differentiation and falls into a group of sarcomas that show complex ..
- Estrogen and progesterone receptor expression in patients with uterine leiomyosarcoma and correlation with different clinicopathological parametersKlaus Bodner
Department of Obstetrics and Gynecology, University of Vienna Medical School, A 1090 Vienna, Wahringer Gurtel 18 20, Austria
Anticancer Res 23:729-32. 2003We examined the expression of estrogen and progesterone receptors in patients with uterine leiomyosarcoma (LMS) to determine their influence on prognosis (overall survival and disease-free survival) and to evaluate the association between ..
- The impact of tumor morcellation during surgery on the prognosis of patients with apparently early uterine leiomyosarcomaJeong Yeol Park
Department of Obstetrics and Gynecology, University of Ulsan College of Medicine, Asan Medical Center, Seoul, Korea
Gynecol Oncol 122:255-9. 2011Uterine leiomyosarcoma (LMS) is usually diagnosed after surgery for leiomyoma; thus tumor morcellation frequently occurs...
- Prognostic factors and survival in 1396 patients with uterine leiomyosarcomas: emphasis on impact of lymphadenectomy and oophorectomyDaniel S Kapp
Division of Radiation Therapy, Department of Radiation Oncology, Stanford University School of Medicine, Stanford Cancer Center, Stanford, California 94305 5847, USA
Cancer 112:820-30. 2008....
- A case of multiple brain metastases of uterine leiomyosarcoma with a literature reviewSo Yamada
Department of Neurosurgery, Teikyo University Chiba Medical Center, 3426 3 Anesaki, Ichihara City, Chiba Prefecture 299 0111, Japan
Surg Oncol 20:e127-31. 2011Brain metastasis from uterine leiomyosarcoma is extremely rare, and prognostically alarming despite various treatments...
- Immunolocalization of VEGF, VEGF receptors, EGF-R and Ki-67 in leiomyoma, cellular leiomyoma and leiomyosarcomaMuzaffer Sanci
Department of Obstetrics and Gynecology, Ege Maternity Hospital, Izmir, Turkey
Acta Histochem 113:317-25. 2011..Samples from patients with leiomyoma, cellular leiomyoma and cellular leiomyosarcoma (n=20 per group) were fixed in 10% formalin and processed using routine paraffin protocols...
- Characterization of chromosome aberrations associated with soft-tissue leiomyosarcomas by twenty-four-color karyotyping and comparative genomic hybridization analysisR Wang
Molecular Cytogenetics Team, Section of Molecular Carcinogenesis, Institute of Cancer Research, Sutton, England
Genes Chromosomes Cancer 31:54-64. 2001..Chromosomes were prepared from 10 primary soft-tissue leiomyosarcoma samples, and preparations from four of them, plus the cell line SK-LMS-1, were suitable for analysis using 24-..
- Cutaneous skull metastasis from uterine leiomyosarcoma: a case reportNikolaos Barbetakis
Thoracic Surgery Department, Theagenio Cancer Hospital, A Simeonidi 2, Thessaloniki, 54007, Greece
World J Surg Oncol 7:45. 2009..Cutaneous metastases in the facial region occur in less than 0.5% of patients with metastatic cancer...
- Primary intraoral leiomyosarcoma of the tongue: an immunohistochemical study and review of the literature- Lo Muzio L
Department of Dentistry and Surgery, University of Bari, Bari, Italy
Oral Oncol 36:519-24. 2000b>Leiomyosarcoma is a relatively uncommon mesenchymal tumor that exhibits smooth-muscle differentiation. We report a new case of leiomyosarcoma involving the tongue of a 67-year-old male...
- Reclassification of a tubal leiomyosarcoma as an eGIST by molecular evaluation of c-KITRosemary Foster
Division of Hematology Oncology, Massachusetts General Hospital, Boston, MA 02114, USA
Gynecol Oncol 101:363-6. 2006..eGISTs are often histologically confused with leiomyosarcoma. Distinction between eGIST and leiomyosarcoma is critical because of the unique responsiveness of eGISTs to ..
- A peculiar site of leiomyosarcoma: the tongue tip--report of a caseS W Yang
Department of Otolaryngology, Head and Neck Surgery, Chang Gung Memorial Hospital, Keelung City, Taiwan
Int J Oral Maxillofac Surg 35:469-71. 2006Primary leiomyosarcoma of the tongue is an exceedingly rare malignant mesenchymal tumour, which is hardly ever addressed in the differential diagnosis of a tongue lesion...
- Metastatic uterine leiomyosarcoma presenting as a breast lumpS Sibartie
Department of Surgery, South Infirmary Victoria University Hospital, Cork, Ireland
Ir J Med Sci 180:889-91. 2011It is uncommon to encounter a breast metastasis from an extramammary malignancy and even rarer from a uterine leiomyosarcoma.
- Leiomyosarcoma of the bladder in a retinoblastoma patientStacey L Bleoo
Department of Surgery, Cross Cancer Institute, Edmonton, Alta, Canada
Urol Int 71:118-21. 2003We report a rare case of leiomyosarcoma in the bladder which occurred in an 18-year-old female with a prior history of retinoblastoma (RB)...
- Molecular and immunohistochemical evidence for the origin of uterine leiomyosarcomas from associated leiomyoma and symplastic leiomyoma-like areasKhush R Mittal
Department of Pathology, New York University School of Medicine, 462 First Avenue, New York, NY 10016, USA
Mod Pathol 22:1303-11. 2009It is uncertain whether uterine leiomyosarcoma arises de novo or in preexisting leiomyoma. Leiomyoma-like areas can be seen associated with uterine leiomyosarcoma, raising the possibility of precursor lesions for uterine leiomyosarcoma...
- Low frequency of somatic mutations in the FH/multiple cutaneous leiomyomatosis gene in sporadic leiomyosarcomas and uterine leiomyomasK T Barker
Section of Cancer Genetics, Haddow Laboratories, Institute of Cancer Research, 15 Cotswold Road, Sutton, Surrey SM2 5NG, UK
Br J Cancer 87:446-8. 2002..Our findings indicate that mutations in fumarate hydratase do not play a major role in the development of sporadic leiomyosarcomas or uterine leiomyomas..
- Expression of mucin-1, galectin-1 and galectin-3 in human leiomyosarcoma in comparison to leiomyoma and myometriumTobias Weissenbacher
Department of Obstetrics and Gynecology, Ludwig Maximilian University of Munich, Maistrasse 11, 80337 Munich, Germany
Anticancer Res 31:451-7. 2011The potential mechanism of malignant transformation from leiomyoma to leiomyosarcoma is still debated...
- Primary leiomyosarcoma of the kidney: a clinicopathologic study of 27 casesJeremy S Miller
Department of Pathology, The Johns Hopkins Hospital, 401 N Broadway, Room 2242, Baltimore, MD 21231, USA
Am J Surg Pathol 34:238-42. 2010Primary leiomyosarcoma of the kidney is a rare entity that has not been well characterized. We retrieved 27 cases of primary renal leiomyosarcomas diagnosed at 3 institutions between 1986 and 2009. Mean patient age at diagnosis was 58...
- Primary leiomyosarcoma of the pancreas: study of 9 cases and review of literatureHongying Zhang
Department of Pathology, West China Hospital, Sichuan University, Chengdu, Sichuan, China
Am J Surg Pathol 34:1849-56. 2010..Nine patients with pancreatic leiomyosarcoma were diagnosed and treated at our institution (5 males and 4 females; mean age at diagnosis, 63 y; range, 39 ..
- Leiomyosarcoma of the inferior vena cava: clinicopathologic study of 40 casesWilliam B Laskin
Department of Surgical Pathology, Northwestern Memorial Hospital, Chicago, IL 60611, USA
Am J Surg Pathol 34:873-81. 2010This report details the clinicopathologic features and follow-up data on 40 cases of inferior vena cava leiomyosarcoma, a rare sarcoma with a poor prognosis...
- Epithelioid leiomyosarcoma with rhabdoid featuresGülnur Yorulmaz
Department of Pathology, Akdeniz University, Antalya, Turkey
Wien Klin Wochenschr 119:557-60. 2007..We report this very uncommon LMS variant; to the best of our knowledge there are only a few cases in the English literature...
- Pleomorphic leiomyosarcoma: clinicopathologic and immunohistochemical study with special emphasis on its distinction from ordinary leiomyosarcoma and malignant fibrous histiocytomaY Oda
Department of Anatomic Pathology, Graduate School of Medical Sciences, Kyushu University, Fukuoka, Japan
Am J Surg Pathol 25:1030-8. 2001Pleomorphic leiomyosarcoma (PLMS) was recently described as a morphologic variant of leiomyosarcoma; however, its diagnostic criteria, as shown by morphologic features and biologic behavior, remain controversial...
- Myocardin functions as an effective inducer of growth arrest and differentiation in human uterine leiomyosarcoma cellsYasunori Kimura
Department of Neuroscience, Osaka University Graduate School of Medicine, Osaka 565 0871, Japan
Cancer Res 70:501-11. 2010..We noticed that the expression of myocardin was markedly downregulated in human uterine leiomyosarcoma cells...
- Adult paratesticular tumoursB Khoubehi
Department of Urology, Wexham Park Hospital, London, UK
BJU Int 90:707-15. 2002
- Discovery of molecular subtypes in leiomyosarcoma through integrative molecular profilingA H Beck
Department of Pathology, Stanford University Medical Center, Stanford, CA 94305, USA
Oncogene 29:845-54. 2010b>Leiomyosarcoma (LMS) is a soft tissue tumor with a significant degree of morphologic and molecular heterogeneity. We used integrative molecular profiling to discover and characterize molecular subtypes of LMS...
- Highly accurate two-gene classifier for differentiating gastrointestinal stromal tumors and leiomyosarcomasNathan D Price
Institute for Systems Biology, Seattle, WA 98103, USA
Proc Natl Acad Sci U S A 104:3414-9. 2007..We expect that the use of simple marker pairs that exhibit these traits will be of significant clinical use in a variety of contexts...
- Cutaneous leiomyosarcoma: a tumor of the head and neckNicole M Annest
Scripps Clinic and Research Institute, Green Hospital, 10666 North Torrey Pines Road, La Jolla, CA 92037, USA
Dermatol Surg 33:628-33. 2007
- Gastrointestinal stromal tumors and leiomyosarcomasSteven C Katz
Department of Surgery, Memorial Sloan Kettering Cancer Center, New York, New York 10065, USA
J Surg Oncol 97:350-9. 2008..Prior to the use of KIT staining, most GI stromal tumors were identified as leiomyosarcoma (LMS). For primary GIST, surgery remains the principal treatment and adjuvant imatinib may improve outcomes...
- Use of X-chromosome inactivation pattern to determine the clonal origins of uterine leiomyoma and leiomyosarcomaPeng Zhang
Department of Pathology and Laboratory Medicine, Women and Infants Hospital of Rhode Island, Brown Medical School, Providence, RI 02905, USA
Hum Pathol 37:1350-6. 2006....
- Gastrointestinal stromal tumors, intramural leiomyomas, and leiomyosarcomas in the rectum and anus: a clinicopathologic, immunohistochemical, and molecular genetic study of 144 casesM Miettinen
Department of Soft Tissue Pathology, Armed Forces Institute of Pathology, Washington, DC 20306 6000, USA
Am J Surg Pathol 25:1121-33. 2001..Intramural LMs are exceptional, and true LMSs are rare, and similar to colonic ones, often present as intraluminal polypoid masses that appear to have a better prognosis than GISTs with similar mitotic rates...
- Leiomyosarcoma of the inferior vena cava: experience in 22 casesEdouard Kieffer
Department of Vascular Surgery, Pitie Salpetriere University Hospital, Assistance Publique Hopitaux de Paris, Paris, France
Ann Surg 244:289-95. 2006..0% and 34.8%, respectively. Leiomyosarcoma of the IVC is a serious disease...
- In IGF-I receptor-deficient leiomyosarcoma cells autocrine IGF-II induces cell invasion and protection from apoptosis via the insulin receptor isoform ALaura Sciacca
Dipartimento di Medicina Interna e Medicina Specialistica, University of Catania, Ospedale Garibaldi, 95123 Catania, Italy
Oncogene 21:8240-50. 2002..All produced high amounts of IGF-II and five of them predominantly expressed IR-A. SKUT-1 leiomyosarcoma cells, that do not express the IGF-IR, were identified as a suitable model to study the effects of IR-A in the ..
- The expression of Ki-67, p53, estrogen and progesterone receptors affecting survival in uterine leiomyosarcomas. A clinicopathologic studySuleyman Engin Akhan
Department of Obstetrics and Gynecology, Division of Gynecologic Oncology, Istanbul Medical School, Istanbul University, Capa Topkapi Istanbul 34290, Turkey
Gynecol Oncol 99:36-42. 2005To evaluate the level of expression of estrogen receptor (ER), progesterone receptor (PR), p53 and Ki-67 in patients with leiomyosarcoma and to investigate the effect of these and to identify the clinical parameters on prognosis.
- Clinical course of nonvisceral soft tissue leiomyosarcoma in 225 patients from the Scandinavian Sarcoma GroupCatarina Svarvar
Department of Plastic Surgery, Helsinki University Central Hospital, Helsinki, Finland
Cancer 109:282-91. 2007b>Leiomyosarcoma of nonvisceral soft tissues is an uncommon malignant tumor; thus, only small numbers of cases have been reported...
- Fixed-dose rate gemcitabine plus docetaxel as second-line therapy for metastatic uterine leiomyosarcoma: a Gynecologic Oncology Group phase II studyMartee L Hensley
Memorial Sloan Kettering Cancer Center, Department of Medical Oncology, 1275 York Avenue, New York, NY 10021, USA
Gynecol Oncol 109:323-8. 2008Doxorubicin-based treatment is standard therapy for metastatic uterine leiomyosarcoma. There is no standard second-line therapy...
- Pleomorphic and dedifferentiated leiomyosarcoma: clinicopathologic and immunohistochemical study of 41 casesMarlo M Nicolas
Department of Pathology, The University of Texas M D Anderson Cancer Center, Houston, TX 77030, USA
Hum Pathol 41:663-71. 2010..few published articles by describing the clinical and pathologic features of pleomorphic and dedifferentiated leiomyosarcoma from 41 patients (27 women and 14 men) with an age range of 25 to 75 years (mean, 56...
- Differential gene expression in leiomyosarcomaKeith M Skubitz
Department of Medicine, University of Minnesota Medical School and the Masonic Cancer Center, MMC 286, University Hospital, 420 Delaware Street SE, Minneapolis, MN 55455, USA
Cancer 98:1029-38. 2003..Leiomyosarcomas (LMS) are a common subtype of soft tissue sarcoma. The molecular causes of the disease remain unclear...
- Surgical management of leiomyosarcoma of the inferior vena cavaS W Cho
Department of Surgery, University of Pittsburgh, Pittsburgh, PA, USA
J Gastrointest Surg 12:2141-8. 2008b>Leiomyosarcoma of the inferior vena cava (IVC) is a rare tumor for which en bloc resection offers the only chance of cure...
- Results of hepatic resection for sarcoma metastatic to liverR P DeMatteo
Department of Surgery, Memorial Sloan-Kettering Cancer Center, 1275 York Avenue, New York, NY 10021, USA
Ann Surg 234:540-7; discussion 547-8. 2001..Hepatectomy should be considered when complete gross resection is possible, especially when the time to the development of liver metastasis exceeds 2 years...
- Phase III trial of standard versus dose-intensified doxorubicin, ifosfamide and dacarbazine (MAID) in the first-line treatment of metastatic and locally advanced soft tissue sarcomaJerome Fayette
Centre Leon Berard, Département de Médecine and Inserm U590, Universite de Lyon, 28 rue Laennec, 69008, Lyon, France
Invest New Drugs 27:482-9. 2009..Treatment with intensified MAID did not improve response rate neither survival and cannot be recommended for advanced or metastatic soft tissue sarcoma...
- Strong smooth muscle differentiation is dependent on myocardin gene amplification in most human retroperitoneal leiomyosarcomasGaëlle Pérot
Genetics and Biology of Cancers, Institut Curie, Paris, France
Cancer Res 69:2269-78. 2009..These data also provide new insights on the cellular origin of these sarcomas and on the complex connections between oncogenesis and differentiation in mesenchymal tumors...
- Leiomyosarcoma of the inferior vena cava: survival after aggressive managementHiromichi Ito
Department of Surgery, Brigham and Women s Hospital, Dana Farber Cancer Institute, and Harvard Medical School, Boston, MA, USA
Ann Surg Oncol 14:3534-41. 2007b>Leiomyosarcoma (LMS) of the inferior vena cava (IVC) is exceedingly rare. The role of adjuvant therapy remains undefined. This study evaluated outcomes after aggressive management.
- Leiomyosarcoma of kidney: a case report with long term result after radiotherapy and chemotherapyD Sharma
Department of General Surgery, Institute of Medical Sciences, Banaras Hindu University, Varanasi, India
Int Urol Nephrol 39:397-400. 2007b>Leiomyosarcoma of the kidney is a rare entity with poor prognosis. Among renal sarcomas, it is the most common histologic subtype amounting to 50-60% of all cases...
- Prognostic factors and impact of adjuvant chemotherapy for uterine leiomyosarcomaTzu I Wu
Division of Gynecologic Oncology, Department of Obstetrics and Gynecology, Chang Gung Memorial Hospital and Chang Gung University College of Medicine, 5 Fu Shin St, Kueishan, Taoyuan 333, Taiwan
Gynecol Oncol 100:166-72. 2006The aim of this study was to investigate prognostic factors and impact of adjuvant therapy for uterine leiomyosarcoma (LMS).
- Whole-body positron emission tomography with F-18 fluorodeoxyglucose for the detection of recurrence in uterine sarcomasM Murakami
Departments of Obstetrics and Gynecology, Tokai University School of Medicine, Isehara Kanagawa, Japan
Int J Gynecol Cancer 16:854-60. 2006..Application of PET imaging for the early detection of recurrent sites was useful for the decision of treatment strategy for patients with recurrent uterine sarcoma...
- Coordinate expression of colony-stimulating factor-1 and colony-stimulating factor-1-related proteins is associated with poor prognosis in gynecological and nongynecological leiomyosarcomaInigo Espinosa
Dept of Pathology, L 235, Stanford University Medical Center, 300 Pasteur Dr, Stanford, CA 94305, USA
Am J Pathol 174:2347-56. 2009..we showed that the presence of high numbers of macrophages correlates with poor prognosis in nongynecological leiomyosarcoma (LMS). In gynecological LMS, a similar trend was noted but did not reach statistical significance...
- Clinical presentation and outcome of high-grade urinary bladder leiomyosarcoma in adultsCharles J Rosser
Department of Urology, University of Texas M D Anderson Cancer Center, Houston, Texas 77030 4009, USA
Urology 61:1151-5. 2003To determine the clinical presentation and outcome of patients with high-grade bladder leiomyosarcoma.
- Characterization of Leiomyosarcoma and GIST by GenomicsWei Zhang; Fiscal Year: 2006..are key cellular pathway genes whose differential expressions are responsible for the different prognoses of leiomyosarcoma and GISTs; 2) There are key metastasis-regulating genes whose expressions are responsible for different ..
- Signaling of Integrin Alpha 7Jianhua Luo; Fiscal Year: 2009..We found mutations of ITGA7 in prostate cancer, hepatocellular carcinoma, leiomyosarcoma and glioblastoma multiforme with frequencies ranging from 25% to 83%...
- Signaling of Integrin Alpha 7Jianhua Luo; Fiscal Year: 2013..We found mutations on ITGA7 in prostate cancer, hepatocellular carcinoma, leiomyosarcoma and glioblastoma multiforms with frequencies ranging from 25% to 83%...
- Lysophosphatidic Acid in OncogenesisXianjun Fang; Fiscal Year: 2010..The tumors include malignant lymphoma, lung adenocarcinoma, high-grade sarcoma, leiomyosarcoma, plasmacytoma and pilomatrixoma...
- Genetic Studies of Uterine LeiomyomataCYNTHIA CASSON MORTON; Fiscal Year: 2013..interest and of unknown molecular mechanism, fibroids rarely proceed to their malignant counterpart, uterine leiomyosarcoma. Thus, it follows that uterine leiomyomata may serve as an important model system to study the genetic events ..
- AKT-Vimentin interaction;a potential role in soft tissue sarcoma progression andMENASHE BARELI; Fiscal Year: 2013..especially for those patients harboring high grade complex karyotype STS histologies, consisting mainly of leiomyosarcoma and high grade pleomorphic sarcoma ( malignant fibrous histiocytoma and fibrosarcoma)...
- Clinically relevant molecular subtypes in leiomyosarcomaJAN MATT VAN DE RIJN; Fiscal Year: 2013DESCRIPTION (provided by applicant): The current treatment of leiomyosarcoma (LMS), the most common form of sarcoma, involves ineffective systemic therapy that is based on a trial and error approach and on the assumption that tumors ..
- RENIN GENE EXPRESSION IN CARDIOVASCULAR REGULATIONVictor Dzau; Fiscal Year: 2002..will be performed in renin expressing cells in culture derived from mouse SMG and kidney as well as a human leiomyosarcoma cell line and primary cultures of human choriodecidual cells...
- STEROID MODULATION OF TUMOR CELL GROWTHJames Norris; Fiscal Year: 2001..and characterized a glucocorticoid regulated secondary response gene, hGSTYBX, from a hormonally induced leiomyosarcoma cell line, an have found it to be a nuclear glutathione S-transferase (GST)...
- MICROARRAY ANALYSIS OF RETINAL DEGENERATION IN MICECaroline Zeiss; Fiscal Year: 2007..Colin Barnstable, Professor of Neurobiology and Ophthalmology, who is an internationally recognized molecular biologist using mouse models of retinal development and degeneration. ..
- FDG PET-CT in Metastatic Prostate CancerHossein Jadvar; Fiscal Year: 2010..Rigorous statistical methods will be applied to determine the diagnostic and prognostic performance of FDG PET-CT in this clinical setting. ..
- Activity & resistance of Gleevec in GI stromal tumorsJonathan Trent; Fiscal Year: 2008..The study of GIST is an exciting opportunity for career development and to focus on the study of a disease that has been effectively treated by targeted therapy. ..
- Natural Killer Dendritic Cells in CancerBRYAN BURT; Fiscal Year: 2007..We anticipate that our findings will elucidate how this novel cell type may contribute to a variety of immune processes and how NKDC may be useful in the treatment of cancer. [unreadable] [unreadable] [unreadable] [unreadable]..
- Natural Killer Dendritic Cells in Listeria InfectionRonald DeMatteo; Fiscal Year: 2007..unreadable] [unreadable] [unreadable]..
- Fish Oil Modulation of Tumor InflammationNOCIF ESPAT; Fiscal Year: 2006....
- STI571 Therapy for Gastrointestinal Stromal TumorsRonald DeMatteo; Fiscal Year: 2002..The results are essential to advance our understanding of GIST biology and determine the therapeutic value and limitations of STI571. ..
- METABOLISM IN NORMAL AND OSTEOARTHRITIC CARTILAGEHenry Mankin; Fiscal Year: 2001..It is further speculated that the study of serine proteinases produced by OA cartilage may have strong implications for the management of this debilitating disease. ..