Genomes and Genes
Summary: A benign tumor derived from smooth muscle tissue, also known as a fibroid tumor. They rarely occur outside of the UTERUS and the GASTROINTESTINAL TRACT but can occur in the SKIN and SUBCUTANEOUS TISSUE, probably arising from the smooth muscle of small blood vessels in these tissues.
Articles from Journal RESEARCH
Articles from Journal RESEARCH2
Publications380 found, 100 shown here
- High cumulative incidence of uterine leiomyoma in black and white women: ultrasound evidenceDonna Day Baird
Epidemiology Branch and the Biostatistics Branch, National Institute of Environmental Health Sciences, Research Triangle Park, NC 27709, USA
Am J Obstet Gynecol 188:100-7. 2003Uterine leiomyoma, or fibroid tumors, are the leading indication for hysterectomy in the United States, but the proportion of women in whom fibroid tumors develop is not known...
- Germline mutations in FH predispose to dominantly inherited uterine fibroids, skin leiomyomata and papillary renal cell cancerIan P M Tomlinson
Molecular and Population Genetics Laboratory, Imperial Cancer Research Fund, 44, Lincoln s Inn Fields, London WC2A 3PX, UK
Nat Genet 30:406-10. 2002..Our results provide clues to the pathogenesis of fibroids and emphasize the importance of mutations of housekeeping and mitochondrial proteins in the pathogenesis of common types of tumor...
- Reactive oxygen species mediate mitogenic growth factor signaling pathways in human leiomyoma smooth muscle cellsFernando S Mesquita
Department of Animal Sciences, University of Illinois, Urbana, Illinois, USA
Biol Reprod 82:341-51. 2010..kinase mitogenic pathway activated by platelet derived growth factor (PDGF) and epidermal growth factor (EGF) in leiomyoma SMCs (LSMCs). Primary cell cultures of LSMCs were used as our experimental model...
- Genome-wide DNA methylation indicates silencing of tumor suppressor genes in uterine leiomyomaAntonia Navarro
Division of Reproductive Biology Research, Department of Obstetrics and Gynecology, Feinberg School of Medicine, Northwestern University, Chicago, Illinois, United States of America
PLoS ONE 7:e33284. 2012..Epigenetic dysregulation of individual genes has been demonstrated in leiomyoma cells; however, the in vivo genome-wide distribution of such epigenetic abnormalities remains unknown.
- Differential expression of microRNAs in myometrium and leiomyomas and regulation by ovarian steroidsQun Pan
Department of Obstetrics and Gynecology, University of Florida, Gainesville, FL 32610, USA
J Cell Mol Med 12:227-40. 2008..miRNAs) as key regulator of mRNA stability we assessed their expression profile in paired myometrium and leiomyoma, their isolated smooth muscle cells (MSMC and LSMC), a spontaneously transformed leiomyoma smooth muscle cells (..
- Influence of body size and body fat distribution on risk of uterine leiomyomata in U.S. black womenLauren A Wise
Department of Epidemiology, Harvard School of Public Health, 1010 Commonwealth Avenue, Boston, MA 02215, USA
Epidemiology 16:346-54. 2005..We prospectively investigated the risk of self-reported uterine leiomyomata in relation to body mass index (BMI), weight change, height, waist and hip circumferences, and waist-to-hip ratio in a large cohort of U.S black women...
- Progesterone is essential for maintenance and growth of uterine leiomyomaHiroshi Ishikawa
Division of Reproductive Biology Research, Northwestern University Feinberg School of Medicine, Department of Obstetrics and Gynecology, 4th Floor, Suite 4 127, 303 East Superior Street, Chicago, Illinois 60611, USA
Endocrinology 151:2433-42. 2010..b>Leiomyoma xenografts increased in size in response to estradiol plus progesterone through cell proliferation and volume ..
- 1,25-Dihydroxyvitamin D3 reduces TGF-beta3-induced fibrosis-related gene expression in human uterine leiomyoma cellsSunil K Halder
Center for Women s Health Research, Department of Obstetrics and Gynecology, Meharry Medical College, Nashville, Tennessee 37208, USA
J Clin Endocrinol Metab 96:E754-62. 2011..Uterine leiomyomas (fibroids) are the most common benign estrogen-dependent tumors of premenopausal women. TGF-β3 up-regulates the synthesis of many of extracellular matrix proteins that are associated with tissue fibrosis...
- Pathology and pathophysiology of uterine smooth-muscle tumorsS J Robboy
Department of Pathology, Duke University Medical Center, Durham, North Carolina 27710, USA
Environ Health Perspect 108:779-84. 2000Smooth-muscle tumors of uterine origin encompass a broad family of neoplasms. The leiomyoma, by far the most common of all the neoplasms, generally is hormone sensitive, with rates of growth semiquantitatively related to estrogen and ..
- Uterine fibroidsE A Stewart
Center for Uterine Fibroids, Department of Obstetrics, Gynecology and Reproductive Biology, Brigham and Women s Hospital, Harvard Medical School, Boston, Massachusetts 02215, USA
Lancet 357:293-8. 2001..New research into the basic biology of these neoplasms may add new treatment options for the future as the role of growth factors and genetic mutations in these tumours are better understood...
- MED12, the mediator complex subunit 12 gene, is mutated at high frequency in uterine leiomyomasNetta Mäkinen
Department of Medical Genetics, Genome Scale Biology Research Program, University of Helsinki, Helsinki, Finland
Science 334:252-5. 2011..All mutations resided in exon 2, suggesting that aberrant function of this region of MED12 contributes to tumorigenesis...
- Endoscopic submucosal dissection for the treatment of intraluminal gastric subepithelial tumors originating from the muscularis propria layerI L Lee
Department of Gastroenterology, Chia Yi Chang Gung Memorial Hospital, Chia Yi, Taiwan
Endoscopy 38:1024-8. 2006....
- The expression of selenium-binding protein 1 is decreased in uterine leiomyomaPeng Zhang
Department of Pathology and Laboratory Medicine, Women and Infants Hospital of Rhode Island, Warren Alpert Medical School of Brown University, 101 Dudley Street, Providence, Rhode Island 02905, USA
Diagn Pathol 5:80. 2010..Decreased expression of selenium-binding protein 1 has been reported in cancers of the prostate, stomach, colon, and lungs. No information, however, is available concerning the roles of selenium-binding protein 1 in uterine leiomyoma.
- Gene expression studies provide clues to the pathogenesis of uterine leiomyoma: new evidence and a systematic reviewAlan A Arslan
Department of Obstetrics and Gynecology, Department of Environmental Medicine, Department of Pathology and Department of Medicine, New York University School of Medicine, New York, NY 10016, USA
Hum Reprod 20:852-63. 2005..Familial and epidemiological studies provide compelling evidence that genetic alterations play an important role in leiomyoma development.
- Disease-dependent differently methylated regions (D-DMRs) of DNA are enriched on the X chromosome in uterine leiomyomaRyo Maekawa
Department of Obstetrics and Gynecology, Yamaguchi University Graduate School of Medicine, Ube 755 8505, Japan
J Reprod Dev 57:604-12. 2011Uterine leiomyoma is the most common benign tumor in women. Although responsible gene mutations have not been found in leiomyomas, they represent a progressive disease with irreversible symptoms...
- Why leiomyomas are called fibroids: the central role of extracellular matrix in symptomatic womenMinnie Malik
Department of Obstetrics and Gynecology, Uniformed Services University of Health Sciences, Bethesda, Maryland 20814 4799, USA
Semin Reprod Med 28:169-79. 2010..The morbidity caused by these tumors is directly related to increasing size. Leiomyoma cells do not rapidly proliferate; instead, the tumors grow primarily due to excessive production of disorganized ..
- Reduced dermatopontin expression is a molecular link between uterine leiomyomas and keloidsWilliam H Catherino
Pediatric and Reproductive Endocrinology Branch, National Institutes of Health, Bethesda, Maryland 20892 1583, USA
Genes Chromosomes Cancer 40:204-17. 2004..Contrary to expectation, genes involved in estrogen action were not differentially expressed between leiomyoma and normal myometrium...
- A genome-wide association study identifies three loci associated with susceptibility to uterine fibroidsPei Chieng Cha
Laboratory of Molecular Medicine, Human Genome Center, Institute of Medical Science, The University of Tokyo, Tokyo, Japan
Nat Genet 43:447-50. 2011..23) and rs2280543 (P = 3.82 × 10(-12), OR = 1.39), respectively. Subsequent fine mapping of these regions will be necessary to pinpoint the causal variants. Our findings should shed light on the pathogenesis of uterine fibroids...
- Clinical utility of progesterone receptor modulators and their effect on the endometriumIrving M Spitz
Institute of Hormone Research and Ben Gurion University of the Negev, Jerusalem, Israel
Curr Opin Obstet Gynecol 21:318-24. 2009..In view of the spate of recent publications related to mifepristone and some second generation progesterone receptor modulators (PRMs), this appears to be an opportune time to view the clinical status of these compounds...
- Dual repressive effect of angiotensin II-type 1 receptor blocker telmisartan on angiotensin II-induced and estradiol-induced uterine leiomyoma cell proliferationAki Isobe
Department of Obstetrics and Gynecology, Osaka University Graduate School of Medicine, 2 2 Yamadaoka, Suita, Osaka 565 0871, Japan
Hum Reprod 23:440-6. 2008..Elevated blood pressure has an independent, positive association with risk for clinically detected uterine leiomyoma. Angiotensin II (Ang II) is a key biological peptide in the renin-angiotensin system that regulates blood ..
- Identification of uterine leiomyoma genes developmentally reprogrammed by neonatal exposure to diethylstilbestrolK L Greathouse
Department of Carcinogenesis, MD Anderson Cancer Center, Science Park Research Division, Smithville, Texas, USA
Reprod Sci 15:765-78. 2008..exposures during development can alter susceptibility later in life to adult diseases including uterine leiomyoma, a phenomenon termed developmental reprogramming...
- Progesterone receptor regulates Bcl-2 gene expression through direct binding to its promoter region in uterine leiomyoma cellsPing Yin
Division of Reproductive Biology Research, Department of Obstetrics and Gynecology, Feinberg School of Medicine at Northwestern University, Chicago, Illinois 60611, USA
J Clin Endocrinol Metab 92:4459-66. 2007..Progesterone stimulates their growth, whereas treatment with progesterone receptor (PR) antagonists or selective progesterone receptor modulators shrinks these tumors. Molecular mechanisms underlying these observations are unknown...
- Cell-type specific actions of progesterone receptor modulators in the regulation of uterine leiomyoma growthShigeki Yoshida
Department of Obstetrics and Gynecology, Kobe University Graduate School of Medicine, Kobe, Japan
Semin Reprod Med 28:260-73. 2010Although the traditional concept supports a crucial role of estrogen in promoting leiomyoma growth, unequivocal evidence has emerged indicating that progesterone also plays a vital role in the regulation of leiomyoma growth...
- Transcription factor KLF11 integrates progesterone receptor signaling and proliferation in uterine leiomyoma cellsPing Yin
Division of Reproductive Biology Research, Department of Obstetrics and Gynecology, Feinberg School of Medicine at Northwestern University, Chicago, IL 60611, USA
Cancer Res 70:1722-30. 2010Uterine leiomyoma is the most common tumor of the female genital tract and the leading cause of hysterectomy...
- Clinical outcomes of magnetic resonance-guided focused ultrasound surgery for uterine myomas: 24-month follow-upK Funaki
Department of Gynecology, Shinsuma General Hospital, Kobe, Hyogo, Japan
Ultrasound Obstet Gynecol 34:584-9. 2009..To assess the volume reduction ratio, symptom improvement and reintervention rate following magnetic resonance-guided focused ultrasound surgery (MRgFUS) for uterine myomas...
- New directions in the epidemiology of uterine fibroidsShannon K Laughlin
Department of Obstetrics and Gynecology, Mayo Clinic, Rochester, Minnesota, USA
Semin Reprod Med 28:204-17. 2010..Our review suggests that metabolic, dietary, stress, and environmental factors may also play a role in fibroid development...
- Sustained relief of leiomyoma symptoms by using focused ultrasound surgeryElizabeth A Stewart
Departments of Obstetrics, Gynecology and Reproductive Biology and Radiology, Brigham and Women s Hospital and Harvard Medical School, Boston, MA, USA
Obstet Gynecol 110:279-87. 2007..To assess several measures of the long-term outcome of magnetic resonance-guided focused ultrasound surgery for symptomatic uterine leiomyomata...
- A randomized, controlled trial of asoprisnil, a novel selective progesterone receptor modulator, in women with uterine leiomyomataKristof Chwalisz
TAP Pharmaceutical Products Inc, Lake Forest, Illinois 60045, USA
Fertil Steril 87:1399-412. 2007..To determine efficacy and safety of asoprisnil in patients with leiomyomata...
- Uterine leiomyoma and menstrual cycle characteristics in a population-based cohort studyJ L Marino
School of Public Health, University of California, Berkeley, California 94720 7360, USA
Hum Reprod 19:2350-5. 2004We examined the association of uterine leiomyoma with menstrual cycle characteristics in a population of non-care-seeking women.
- Age-specific incidence rates for self-reported uterine leiomyomata in the Black Women's Health StudyLauren A Wise
Slone Epidemiology Center, Boston University, Boston, Massachusetts 02215, USA
Obstet Gynecol 105:563-8. 2005..We estimated overall and age-specific incidence rates for self-reported uterine leiomyomata in a large cohort of African-American women in the United States...
- Mifepristone for treatment of uterine leiomyoma. A prospective randomized placebo controlled trialM Engman
Department of Woman and Child Health, Division of Obstetrics and Gynaecology, Karolinska Institutet, Karolinska University Hospital, 171 76 Stockholm, Sweden
Hum Reprod 24:1870-9. 2009..Uterine leiomyomas are widely prevalent and frequently cause menorrhagia. The major therapeutic option today is hysterectomy. Medical options are of highest interest...
- High aromatase expression in uterine leiomyoma tissues of African-American womenHiroshi Ishikawa
Division of Reproductive Biology Research, Robert H Lurie Comprehensive Cancer Center of Northwestern University, Chicago, IL 60611, USA
J Clin Endocrinol Metab 94:1752-6. 2009Symptomatic uterine leiomyoma is associated with irregular uterine bleeding, anemia, and recurrent pregnancy loss...
- Etiology, symptomatology, and diagnosis of uterine myomasWilliam H Parker
Department of Obstetrics and Gynecology, UCLA School of Medicine, Los Angeles, California, USA
Fertil Steril 87:725-36. 2007..To review the currently available literature regarding the biology, etiology, symptoms, and diagnosis of uterine myomas...
- Self-reported heavy bleeding associated with uterine leiomyomataGanesa Wegienka
Department of Epidemiology, University of North Carolina School of Public Health, Chapel Hill, North Carolina, USA
Obstet Gynecol 101:431-7. 2003To characterize the relationship between self-reported bleeding symptoms and uterine leiomyoma size and location.
- The UFS-QOL, a new disease-specific symptom and health-related quality of life questionnaire for leiomyomataJames B Spies
Department of Radiology, Georgetown University Hospital, Washington, DC 2007 2197, USA
Obstet Gynecol 99:290-300. 2002..To create and validate a questionnaire for assessing symptom severity and symptom impact on health-related quality of life for women with leiomyomata...
- Association between phthalate exposure and glutathione S-transferase M1 polymorphism in adenomyosis, leiomyoma and endometriosisPo Chin Huang
Division of Environmental Health and Occupational Medicine, National Health Research Institutes, 35 Keyan Road, Zhunan, Miaoli County 350, Taiwan
Hum Reprod 25:986-94. 2010..We conducted a case-control study to determine whether estrogen-dependent diseases are associated with phthalate exposure and how the glutathione S-transferase M1 (GSTM1; a major detoxification enzyme) genotype modulates the risk...
- Accumulation of Krebs cycle intermediates and over-expression of HIF1alpha in tumours which result from germline FH and SDH mutationsP J Pollard
Molecular and Population Genetics Laboratory, London WC2A 3PX, UK
Hum Mol Genet 14:2231-9. 2005..The basic mechanism of tumorigenesis in HPGL and HLRCC is likely to be pseudo-hypoxic drive, just as it is in von Hippel-Lindau syndrome...
- Incidence, aetiology and epidemiology of uterine fibroidsStanley Okolo
North Middlesex University Hospital, Sterling Way, London, UK
Best Pract Res Clin Obstet Gynaecol 22:571-88. 2008....
- Uterine-artery embolization versus surgery for symptomatic uterine fibroidsRichard D Edwards
N Engl J Med 356:360-70. 2007..The efficacy and safety of uterine-artery embolization, as compared with standard surgical methods, for the treatment of symptomatic uterine fibroids remain uncertain...
- Characterization of tissue biomechanics and mechanical signaling in uterine leiomyomaJohn M Norian
Program in Reproductive and Adult Endocrinology, Eunice Kennedy Shriver National Institute of Child Health and Human Development, National Institutes of Health, Bethesda, MD, United States
Matrix Biol 31:57-65. 2012b>Leiomyoma are common tumors arising within the uterus that feature excessive deposition of a stiff, disordered extracellular matrix (ECM)...
- Benign metastasizing leiomyoma responsive to megestrol: case report and review of the literatureG K Wentling
Section of General Surgery, Mayo Clinic, Jacksonville, Florida 32224, USA
Int J Gynecol Cancer 15:1213-7. 2005Benign metastasizing leiomyoma (BML) is an unusual condition typically treated by surgical resection and hormonal therapy. A 37-year-old woman presented with dyspnea 6 years after uterine myomectomy...
- Gene expression profiling of multiple leiomyomata uteri and matched normal tissue from a single patientIrina K Dimitrova
Department of Obstetrics and Gynecology, University of Colorado Health Sciences Center, Aurora, Colorado 80045, USA
Fertil Steril 91:2650-63. 2009..To identify differentially expressed genes between fibroid and adjacent normal myometrium in an identical hormonal and genetic background...
- Primary leiomyoma of the trachea, bronchus, and pulmonary parenchyma--a single-institutional experienceJoon Suk Park
Department of Thoracic Surgery, Samsung Medical Center, Sungkyunkwan University School of Medicine, Seoul, Republic of Korea
Eur J Cardiothorac Surg 41:41-5. 2012Primary leiomyoma of the respiratory tract is a rare disease. Based on our experience, we investigated its clinical characteristics and outcomes of treatment.
- Serum dioxin concentrations and risk of uterine leiomyoma in the Seveso Women's Health StudyBrenda Eskenazi
Department of Epidemiology, School of Public Health, University of California, Berkeley, CA 94720 7380, USA
Am J Epidemiol 166:79-87. 2007..The authors investigated the risk of uterine leiomyoma associated with exposure to 2,3,7,8,-tetrachlorodibenzo-p-dioxin (TCDD) for women who resided near Seveso, Italy,..
- Progesterone and mifepristone regulate L-type amino acid transporter 2 and 4F2 heavy chain expression in uterine leiomyoma cellsXia Luo
Division of Reproductive Biology Research, Department of Obstetrics and Gynecology, Feinberg School of Medicine, Northwestern University, Chicago, Illinois 60611, USA
J Clin Endocrinol Metab 94:4533-9. 2009Progesterone and its receptor (PR) play key roles in uterine leiomyoma growth. Previously, using chromatin immunoprecipitation-based cloning, we uncovered L-type amino acid transporter 2 (LAT2) as a novel PR target gene...
- Vitamin D inhibits proliferation of human uterine leiomyoma cells via catechol-O-methyltransferaseChakradhari Sharan
Center for Women s Health Research, Department of Obstetrics and Gynecology, Meharry Medical College, Nashville, Tennessee, USA
Fertil Steril 95:247-53. 2011To evaluate the effects and mechanisms of action of vitamin D on human uterine leiomyoma (HuLM) cell proliferation in vitro.
- Profiling and functional analyses of microRNAs and their target gene products in human uterine leiomyomasJiri Zavadil
Department of Pathology, School of Medicine, New York University, New York, New York, United States of America
PLoS ONE 5:e12362. 2010..In order to identify microRNA::mRNA associations relevant to ULM pathogenesis, we examined global correlation patterns between the altered microRNA expression and the predicted target genes in ULMs and matched myometria...
- Medical management of fibroidsSrividhya Sankaran
St George s Hospital NHS Trust, Department of Obstetrics and Gynaecology, Blackshaw Road, London SW17 0QT, UK
Best Pract Res Clin Obstet Gynaecol 22:655-76. 2008..In the meantime, surgical and radiological approaches remain the mainstay effective therapies...
- Aberrant DNA methylation status in human uterine leiomyomaYoshiaki Yamagata
Department of Obstetrics and Gynecology, Yamaguchi University Graduate School of Medicine, Minamikogushi 1 1 1, Ube 755 8505, Japan
Mol Hum Reprod 15:259-67. 2009..For this purpose, restriction landmark genomic scanning (RLGS) was performed on a paired sample of leiomyoma and adjacent normal myometrium...
- DNA hypomethylation and imbalanced expression of DNA methyltransferases (DNMT1, 3A, and 3B) in human uterine leiomyomaShuanfang Li
Department of Pharmacology, Tulane Xavier Universities, 1430 Tulane Ave, New Orleans, LA 70112 2699, USA
Gynecol Oncol 90:123-30. 2003Despite the high prevalence of uterine leiomyoma in women, little is known about the pathophysiology of this tumor. This study intends to define the epigenetic modulation of this tumor.
- Minimally invasive resection of benign esophageal tumorsMichael Kent
University of Pittsburgh Medical Center, Pittsburgh, PA 15213, USA
J Thorac Cardiovasc Surg 134:176-81. 2007..Benign tumors of the esophagus are uncommon. Traditionally, resection has required thoracotomy or laparotomy. In this study we present our experience with resection of these tumors using a minimally invasive approach...
- Laparoscopic ultrasound-guided radiofrequency volumetric thermal ablation of symptomatic uterine leiomyomas: feasibility study using the Halt 2000 Ablation SystemJose Gerardo Garza Leal
Department of Gynecology and Obstetrics, Hospital Universitario Nuevo Leon, Monterrey, Mexico
J Minim Invasive Gynecol 18:364-71. 2011..Additional larger multicenter studies are needed to confirm these results...
- A case of benign metastasizing leiomyoma treated by surgical castration followed by an aromatase inhibitor, anastrozoleKaei Nasu
Department of Obstetrics and Gynecology, Faculty of Medicine, Oita University, Idaigaoka 1 1, Hasama machi, Yufu Shi, Oita, Japan
Arch Gynecol Obstet 279:255-7. 2009Benign metastasizing leiomyoma (BML) is a rare disease most often located in the lungs of women with a history of surgery for benign leiomyoma of the uterus. Optimum therapy for BML, has not been established...
- New potential regulators of uterine leiomyomata from DNA arrays: the ionotropic glutamate receptor GluR2John C M Tsibris
Department of Obstetrics and Gynecology, University of South Florida, 4 Columbia Drive, Room 524, Tampa, FL 33606, USA
Biochem Biophys Res Commun 312:249-54. 2003In the post-Genome era, new concepts emerge about the growth regulation of uterine leiomyomata. Screening of leiomyoma and myometrial tissues with DNA arrays revealed numerous genes up-regulated in leiomyomata that were not known to be ..
- The impact of uterine leiomyomas on reproductive outcomesH Cook
Department of Obstetrics and Gynecology, Ronald Reagan UCLA Medical Center, Los Angeles, CA, USA
Minerva Ginecol 62:225-36. 2010....
- Early growth response-2 expression in uterine leiomyoma cells: regulation and functionPing Yin
Division of Reproductive Biology Research, Department of Obstetrics and Gynecology, Feinberg School of Medicine, Northwestern University, Chicago, Illinois, USA
Fertil Steril 96:439-44. 2011To investigate the regulation of early growth response-2 (Egr-2) by transforming growth factor β3 (TGF-β3) and its functions in cultured human uterine leiomyoma smooth muscle cells.
- Systematic review of mifepristone for the treatment of uterine leiomyomataJody Steinauer
Department of Obstetrics, Gynecology, and Reproductive Sciences, San Francisco General Hospital, 1001 Potrero Avenue, Ward 6D 14, San Francisco, CA 94110, USA
Obstet Gynecol 103:1331-6. 2004To systematically review the effect of mifepristone on uterine leiomyoma size and symptoms and to summarize its adverse effects.
- Characterization of the uterine leiomyoma microRNAome by deep sequencingBoryana Georgieva
Department of Plant Physiology and Molecular Biology, University of Plovdiv, 24 TsarAssen St, 4000 Plovdiv, Bulgaria
Genomics 99:275-81. 2012..Many genes in human uterine leiomyoma (ULM) are aberrantly expressed and in some cases this can be due to dysregulation of miRNAs...
- The Ontario Uterine Fibroid Embolization Trial. Part 2. Uterine fibroid reduction and symptom relief after uterine artery embolization for fibroidsGaylene Pron
Department of Public Health Sciences, University of Toronto, Toronto, Ontario, Canada
Fertil Steril 79:120-7. 2003..To evaluate fibroid uterine volume reduction, symptom relief, and patient satisfaction with uterine artery embolization (UAE) for symptomatic fibroids...
- Distinguishing features of endometrial pathology after exposure to the progesterone receptor modulator mifepristoneJulietta Fiscella
Department of Pathology, School of Medicine and Dentistry, University of Rochester School of Medicine, Rochester, NY 14620, USA
Hum Pathol 42:947-53. 2011..These findings suggest several features that can be tracked during studies involving mifepristone and, potentially, other progesterone receptor modulators...
- Outpatient procedure for the treatment and relief of symptomatic uterine myomasScott G Chudnoff
Centennial Women s Center, Montefiore Medical Center, New York, NY 10467, USA
Obstet Gynecol 121:1075-82. 2013..To estimate the safety and efficacy of laparoscopic ultrasound-guided radiofrequency volumetric thermal ablation of uterine myomas in symptomatic women...
- Role of stem cells in human uterine leiomyoma growthMasanori Ono
Division of Reproductive Biology Research, Department of Obstetrics and Gynecology, Feinberg School of Medicine at Northwestern University, Chicago, Illinois, USA
PLoS ONE 7:e36935. 2012Uterine leiomyoma is the most common benign tumor in reproductive-age women...
- Potential link between estrogen receptor-alpha gene hypomethylation and uterine fibroid formationHiromi Asada
Department of Obstetrics and Gynecology, Yamaguchi University Graduate School of Medicine, Minamikogushi 1 1 1, Ube 755 8505, Japan
Mol Hum Reprod 14:539-45. 2008..we investigated the DNA methylation status of the ER-alpha promoter region (-1188 to +229 bp) in myometrium and leiomyoma. By sodium bisulfite sequencing, 49 CpG sites in the proximal promoter region of ER-alpha gene were shown to be ..
- Treatment of uterine myoma with 5 or 10mg mifepristone daily during 6 months, post-treatment evolution over 12 months: double-blind randomised clinical trialJosep Ll Carbonell Esteve
Mediterránea Médica Clinic, Valencia, Castello, Valencian Country, Spain
Eur J Obstet Gynecol Reprod Biol 161:202-8. 2012..To evaluate the efficacy and safety of 5 and 10mg doses of mifepristone for 6 months for the treatment of uterine fibroids and to check those results at 1 year post-treatment...
- Robotic-assisted laparoscopic myomectomy versus abdominal myomectomy: a comparative analysis of surgical outcomes and costsKate Nash
Department of Obstetrics and Gynecology, Northwestern University Feinberg School of Medicine, Chicago, IL, USA
Arch Gynecol Obstet 285:435-40. 2012..To compare clinical and effectiveness outcomes between robotic-assisted laparoscopic myomectomy (RALM) and abdominal myomectomy (AM)...
- MyomectomyAnthony A Luciano
Department of Obstetrics and Gynecology, Center for Fertility and Women s Health, University of Connecticut School of Medicine, 100 Grand Street, New Britain, CT 06051, USA
Clin Obstet Gynecol 52:362-71. 2009....
- Pseudoaneurysm of the uterine artery after laparoscopic myomectomySatoshi Asai
Department of Obstetrics and Gynecology, Keio University School of Medicine, Tokyo, Japan
Fertil Steril 91:929.e1-3. 2009..To describe a case of uterine pseudoaneurysm after laparoscopic myomectomy in a 36-year-old woman...
- Predictive value of magnetic resonance imaging signal and contrast-enhancement characteristics on post-embolization volume reduction of uterine fibroidsM Harman
Department of Radiology, University of Yuzuncu Yil, Faculty of Medicine, Van, Turkey
Acta Radiol 47:427-35. 2006....
- Fibroids not encroaching the endometrial cavity and IVF success rate: a prospective studyEdgardo Somigliana
Department of Obset Gynecol Fondazione Cà Granda, Ospedale Maggiore Policlinico, Via Commenda 12, 20122 Milano, Italy
Hum Reprod 26:834-9. 2011..CONCLUSIONS In asymptomatic patients selected for IVF, small fibroids not encroaching the endometrial cavity did not impact on the rate of success of the procedure...
- Proteomic identification of plasma biomarkers in uterine leiomyomaChao Po Lin
Department of Obstetrics and Gynecology, Chiayi Christian Hospital, Chiayi, Taiwan
Mol Biosyst 8:1136-45. 2012..The potential of utilizing these markers for screening and treating uterine leiomyomas warrants further investigations...
- Interleukin (IL)-12 receptor beta1 codon 378 G homozygote and allele, but not IL-1 (beta-511 promoter, 3953 exon 5, receptor antagonist), IL-2 114, IL-4-590 intron 3, IL-8 3'-UTR 2767, and IL-18 105, are associated with higher susceptibility to leiomyomaYao Yuan Hsieh
Department of Obstetrics and Gynecology, National Chiao Tung University, Hsinchu, Taiwan
Fertil Steril 87:886-95. 2007To investigate whether certain polymorphisms are correlated with leiomyoma susceptibility, i.e...
- Endoscopic band ligation without electrosurgery: a new technique for excision of small upper-GI leiomyomaSiyu Sun
Endoscopy Center, Second Clinical College of China Medical University, Sanhao Street 36, Shenyang 110004, China
Gastrointest Endosc 60:218-22. 2004b>Leiomyoma is a relatively common submucosal tumor in the upper-GI tract. The efficacy of a new method for resection of these tumors, endoscopic band ligation, was evaluated.
- Down-regulation of proliferation and up-regulation of apoptosis by gonadotropin-releasing hormone agonist in cultured uterine leiomyoma cellsYin Wang
Department of Obstetrics and Gynecology, Kobe University Graduate School of Medicine, 7 5 1 Kusunoki cho, Chuo Ku, Kobe 650 0017, Japan
Eur J Endocrinol 146:447-56. 2002To elucidate the direct effects of gonadotropin-releasing hormone agonist (GnRHa) on the growth of human uterine leiomyoma cells, cell proliferation and apoptosis in cultured leiomyoma cells treated with GnRHa were investigated.
- Uterine smooth muscle tumors other than the ordinary leiomyomas and leiomyosarcomas: a review of selected variants with emphasis on recent advances and unusual morphology that may cause concern for malignancyPhilip P C Ip
Department of Pathology, The University of Hong Kong, Queen Mary Hospital, Hong Kong SAR
Adv Anat Pathol 17:91-112. 2010..The term "atypical leiomyoma" has been used to label tumors that have a low risk of recurrence and is synonymous with benign tumors...
- Hyperstimulation during IVF cycles does not modify dimensions of small subserosal and intramural leiomyomasLaura Benaglia
Infertility Unit, Fondazione Ospedale Maggiore Policlinico Mangiagalli e Regina Elena, Milan, Italy
Fertil Steril 95:2489-91. 2011..The mean ± SD diameters of the tumors at these two time points were 20.5 ± 9.5 and 20.6 ± 10.2 mm, respectively, thus supporting the conclusion that IVF does not influence the growth of these lesions...
- Leiomyoma of the urinary bladder: a series of nine cases and review of the literatureJong Wook Park
Department of Urology, Korea Cancer Center Hospital, Seoul, Republic of Korea
Urology 76:1425-9. 2010..To present our experience with 9 cases of bladder leiomyomas and a review of the relevant published data...
- Modern management of uterine fibroidsBarbara S Levy
Women s Health and Breast Center, St Francis Hospital, Federal Way, WA, USA
Acta Obstet Gynecol Scand 87:812-23. 2008..New treatment approaches are under investigation, with the goals of being effective, safe, and less invasive...
- Immunohistochemical distinction of endometrial stromal sarcoma and cellular leiomyomaS N Agoff
Department of Cytopathology, University of Washington Medical Center, Seattle, USA
Appl Immunohistochem Mol Morphol 9:164-9. 2001Distinguishing low grade endometrial stromal sarcoma (ESS) from benign smooth muscle proliferations like cellular leiomyoma (CL) can be problematic; because of differing treatments and prognosis, this distinction is important...
- Uterine leiomyosarcomas are characterized by high p16, p53 and MIB1 expression in comparison with usual leiomyomas, leiomyoma variants and smooth muscle tumours of uncertain malignant potentialH A McBride
Department of Pathology, Royal Group of Hospitals Trust, Belfast, Northern Ireland, UK
Histopathology 50:851-8. 2007..expression was assessed in a variety of uterine smooth muscle tumours, including usual leiomyomas, leiomyoma variants, smooth muscle tumours of uncertain malignant potential (STUMPs) and leiomyosarcomas...
- Proinflammatory and profibrotic mediators: principal effectors of leiomyoma development as a fibrotic disorderNasser Chegini
Division of Reproductive Endocrinology and Infertility, Department of Obstetrics and Gynecology, University of Florida, Gainesville, Florida 32610, USA
Semin Reprod Med 28:180-203. 2010..subsequent growth is still unknown, conventional evidence indicates that ovarian steroids are essential for leiomyoma growth...
- Feasibility of magnetic resonance imaging-guided high intensity focused ultrasound therapy for ablating uterine fibroids in patients with bowel lies anterior to uterusLian Zhang
Clinical Center for Tumour Therapy of 2nd Affiliated Hospital of Chongqing University of Medical Sciences, Chongqing 400010, China
Eur J Radiol 73:396-403. 2010..To prospectively evaluate the feasibility of magnetic resonance (MR) imaging-guided high intensity focused ultrasound (HIFU) therapeutic ablation of uterine fibroids in patients with bowel lies anterior to uterus...
- Uterine leiomyosarcoma arising in leiomyoma: clinicopathological study of four cases and literature reviewHiroyuki Yanai
Department of Pathology, Okayama University Hospital, 2 5 1 Shikata cho, Okayama, Japan
Pathol Int 60:506-9. 2010In this study we examined four cases of leiomyosarcoma (LMS) arising in leiomyoma (LM). The patients ranged from 40 to 64 years old. Symptoms were unspecific and preoperative diagnosis of LMS had not been made...
- Molecular genetics and racial disparities of uterine leiomyomasEssam Eldin R Othman
Department of Obstetrics and Gynaecology, Assiut Faculty of Medicine, Assiut, Egypt
Best Pract Res Clin Obstet Gynaecol 22:589-601. 2008....
- Options for medical treatment of myomasBeth W Rackow
Division of Reproductive Endocrinology and Infertility, Department of Obstetrics, Gynecology, and Reproductive Sciences, Yale University School of Medicine, P O Box 208063, New Haven, CT 06520 8063, USA
Obstet Gynecol Clin North Am 33:97-113. 2006..If one medical therapy does not work, several other effective therapies are available...
- Humoral hypercalcemia of benignancy secondary to parathyroid hormone-related protein secreting uterine leiomyomaSelcuk Dagdelen
Department of Endocrinology and Metabolism, Hacettepe University School of Medicine, Ankara, Turkey
Am J Med Sci 335:407-8. 2008..3 pmol/L). An extensive workup for a malignancy revealed no abnormality, except for an uterine leiomyoma, 7.1 cm in size. Total abdominal hysterectomy and salpingo-oophorectomy were performed...
- Enucleation of submucosal tumors of the esophagus: minimally invasive versus open approachB H A Von Rahden
Department of Surgery, Technical University Munich, Ismaningerstrasse 22, 81675, Munich, Germany
Surg Endosc 18:924-30. 2004..The classic approach is a thoracotomy, but tumor enucleation can now also be performed via thoracoscopy or, for distal tumors, via laparoscopy...
- Non-invasive magnetic resonance imaging-guided focused ultrasound treatment for uterine fibroids - early experienceYutaka Morita
Department of Obstetrics and Gynecology, Itabashi Chuo Medical Center, 2 12 7 Azusawa, Itabashi ku, Tokyo 174 0051, Japan
Eur J Obstet Gynecol Reprod Biol 139:199-203. 2008..To describe early results regarding efficacy and safety of magnetic resonance imaging-guided focused ultrasound surgery (MRgFUS) for the treatment of uterine leiomyomas among a population of Japanese women...
- Ectopic pancreas: CT findings with emphasis on differentiation from small gastrointestinal stromal tumor and leiomyomaJi Young Kim
Department of Radiology, Institute of Radiation Medicine, Seoul National University College of Medicine, Seoul National University Hospital, 28 Yeongon dong, Jongno gu, Seoul 110 744, Korea
Radiology 252:92-100. 2009..and to identify the features that differentiate it from other similarly manifesting gastric submucosal tumors such as gastrointestinal stromal tumor (GIST) and leiomyoma, which are the most common gastrointestinal submucosal tumors.
- Low frequency of somatic mutations in the FH/multiple cutaneous leiomyomatosis gene in sporadic leiomyosarcomas and uterine leiomyomasK T Barker
Section of Cancer Genetics, Haddow Laboratories, Institute of Cancer Research, 15 Cotswold Road, Sutton, Surrey SM2 5NG, UK
Br J Cancer 87:446-8. 2002..Our findings indicate that mutations in fumarate hydratase do not play a major role in the development of sporadic leiomyosarcomas or uterine leiomyomas..
- Short-term change in growth of uterine leiomyoma: tumor growth spurtsDonna Day Baird
Epidemiology Branch, Laboratory of Women s Health, National Institute of Environmental Health Sciences, Research Triangle Park, North Carolina 27709, USA
Fertil Steril 95:242-6. 2011..To describe the short-term changes in growth of uterine leiomyomas (fibroids)...
- Growth factors and myometrium: biological effects in uterine fibroid and possible clinical implicationsPasquapina Ciarmela
Department of Experimental and Clinical Medicine, Faculty of Medicine, Polytechnic University of Marche, Via Tronto 10 A, 60020 Ancona, Italy
Hum Reprod Update 17:772-90. 2011..Myometrial mass is ultimately modified in pregnancy as well as in tumour conditions such as leiomyoma and leiomyosarcoma...
- Aromatase and leiomyoma of the uterusMakio Shozu
Department of Obstetrics and Gynecology, Kanazawa University School of Medicine, Kanazawa, Japan
Semin Reprod Med 22:51-60. 2004In leiomyoma of the uterus, both aromatase and 17beta-hydroxysteroid dehydrogenase (17beta-HSD) type I are overexpressed compared with myometrium...
- The role of laparoscopic myomectomy in the management of uterine fibroidsMohammad Sami Walid
Heart of Georgia Women s Center, Warner Robins, Georgia, USA
Curr Opin Obstet Gynecol 23:273-7. 2011..This article presents our technique for laparoscopic myomectomy and assesses the current evidence-based literature for the use of this minimally invasive procedure in benign gynecological practice...
- Parasitic myomas after laparoscopic surgery: an emerging complication in the use of morcellator? Description of four casesGaspare Cucinella
Department of Obstetrics and Gynaecology, University Hospital Paolo Giaccone, Palermo, Italy
Fertil Steril 96:e90-6. 2011..To report the development of parasitic myomas after the use of a morcellator...
- Uterine leiomyoma in the Eker rat: a unique model for important diseases of womenCheryl Lyn Walker
University of Texas M D Anderson Cancer Center, Science Park Research Division, Smithville, Texas 78957, USA
Genes Chromosomes Cancer 38:349-56. 2003Eker rats carry a defect in the Tsc-2 tumor suppressor gene and female Eker rats develop uterine leiomyoma with a high frequency...
- Uterine myomas: managementWilliam H Parker
Department of Obstetrics and Gynecology, UCLA School of Medicine, Santa Monica, California 90401, USA
Fertil Steril 88:255-71. 2007..To review the currently available literature regarding the current management alternatives available to women with uterine myomas...
- Catechol-o-methyltransferase expression and 2-methoxyestradiol affect microtubule dynamics and modify steroid receptor signaling in leiomyoma cellsSalama A Salama
Department of Obstetrics and Gynecology, University of Texas Medical Branch, Galveston, Texas, USA
PLoS ONE 4:e7356. 2009..Our previous study demonstrated that 2ME is a potent antiproliferative, proapoptotic, antiangiogenic, and collagen synthesis inhibitor in human leiomyomas cells (huLM)...
- Endoscopic submucosal resection of esophageal subepithelial lesions using band ligationD G Lee
Department of Internal Medicine, Pusan National University School of Medicine, Busan, Korea
Endoscopy 43:822-5. 2011..After resection of the lesion by snare, minor immediate bleeding occurred in four cases, but there was no delayed bleeding or perforation...
- Do leiomyomas of deep soft tissue exist? An analysis of highly differentiated smooth muscle tumors of deep soft tissue supporting two distinct subtypesS D Billings
Department of Pathology and Laboratory Medicine, Emory University, Atlanta, Georgia, USA
Am J Surg Pathol 25:1134-42. 2001..We reviewed 36 consultation cases that had been diagnosed as leiomyoma or probable leiomyoma based on absence of nuclear atypia, necrosis, and no/minimal mitotic activity...
- Immunolocalization of VEGF, VEGF receptors, EGF-R and Ki-67 in leiomyoma, cellular leiomyoma and leiomyosarcomaMuzaffer Sanci
Department of Obstetrics and Gynecology, Ege Maternity Hospital, Izmir, Turkey
Acta Histochem 113:317-25. 2011..Samples from patients with leiomyoma, cellular leiomyoma and cellular leiomyosarcoma (n=20 per group) were fixed in 10% formalin and processed using ..
- Molecular and immunohistochemical evidence for the origin of uterine leiomyosarcomas from associated leiomyoma and symplastic leiomyoma-like areasKhush R Mittal
Department of Pathology, New York University School of Medicine, 462 First Avenue, New York, NY 10016, USA
Mod Pathol 22:1303-11. 2009It is uncertain whether uterine leiomyosarcoma arises de novo or in preexisting leiomyoma. Leiomyoma-like areas can be seen associated with uterine leiomyosarcoma, raising the possibility of precursor lesions for uterine leiomyosarcoma...
- PROGESTERONE RECEPTOR IN MYOMETRIUM AND LEIOMYOMARobin Fuchs Young; Fiscal Year: 2002....
- Targeting Adenovirus for Gene Therapy of Uterine LeiomyomaAyman Al-Hendy; Fiscal Year: 2013DESCRIPTION (provided by applicant): Uterine leiomyoma (fibroids) are the most common gynecologic tumors in premenopausal women and the leading indication for hysterectomy...
- microRNA regulatory function in Leiomyoma growthXiaoping Luo; Fiscal Year: 2010..TGF-[unreadable] receptors (TGF-[unreadable]R) and their signaling molecules, Smads, are over-expressed in leiomyoma and leiomyoma smooth muscle cells (LSMC) as compared to myometrium and MSMC...
- Molecular Dissection of Retinoic Acid Function in Leiomyoma DevelopmentWILLIAM HENRY CATHERINO; Fiscal Year: 2010Uterine leiomyoma are both highly prevalent and symptomatic. These tumors play a significant role in miscarriage, infertility, preterm labor, heavy menstrual periods, pelvic pain, and urinary incontinence...
- MOLECULAR MECHANISM OF LEIOMYOMA GROWTH AND REGRESSIONGREGORY SCOTT SCHULTZ; Fiscal Year: 2011..To test the hypothesis that the expression, regulation and function of ZEBs result in development and growth of leiomyoma, we propose the following specific aims...
- Expression, hormonal regulation and function of microRNA in leiomyomaGREGORY SCOTT SCHULTZ; Fiscal Year: 2012..Furthermore, the expression ofgenes, which collectively play a central role in pathogenesis of leiomyoma. Our core hypothesis is that the expression of these miRNAs displays a specific pattern during leiomyomas growth ..
- Role of MicroRNA-29 in Uterine Leiomyoma PathogenesisErica E Marsh; Fiscal Year: 2013..and public health impact, the cellular and molecular mechanisms regulating the development and growth of leiomyoma are not well understood...
- Comparing focused ultrasound and uterine artery embolization for uterine fibroidsElizabeth A Stewart; Fiscal Year: 2010..However leiomyoma pain has never been studied with the standard instrument for assessing and quantitating pain, the McGill Pain ..
- Endocrine disruption of myometrial stem cell activitiesJOSE M TEIXEIRA; Fiscal Year: 2013..of [unreadable]-catenin results in myometrial smooth muscle hyperplasia and development of stromal sarcomas and leiomyoma's (uterine fibroids)...
- Extra / Intra-cellular Signaling in Novel 3-Dimensional Human Leiomyoma CulturesWILLIAM HENRY CATHERINO; Fiscal Year: 2013DESCRIPTION (provided by applicant): Uterine leiomyoma play a significant role in miscarriage, infertility, preterm labor, menorrhagia, pelvic pain, and urinary incontinence...
- Xenograft Study on Growth-Control of Human Uterine LeiomyomataTakeshi Kurita; Fiscal Year: 2013..provided by applicant): The ultimate goal of this study is to elucidate the molecular mechanisms of uterine leiomyoma (UL) formation and growth, and identify potential targets for novel therapeutic and preventive treatments of ..
- REGULATION OF UTERINE FIBROIDS BY CCN5John J Castellot; Fiscal Year: 2013..PUBLIC HEALTH RELEVANCE: The goal of this project is to elucidate the mechanism of action of the protein CCN5 on uterine leiomyoma cells, and to determine if CCN5 has potential therapeutic value in the treatment of fibroids.
- Uterine Leiomyoma Development in Mouse ModelsJOSE M TEIXEIRA; Fiscal Year: 2013..model and in approximately 50% of human fibroids, suggesting that mTor activation may be a common pathway in leiomyoma development...
- Reversing the Effects of Developmental ReprogrammingCheryl L Walker; Fiscal Year: 2012..also recently documented in these rats that tumors develop in the setting of obesity, a known risk factor for leiomyoma in women...
- ENVIRONMENTAL ESTROGENS AND UTERINE LEIOMYOMACheryl L Walker; Fiscal Year: 2012..programming following neonatal xenoestrogen exposure can increase the risk of developing hormone-dependent leiomyoma by increasing the responsiveness to hormone of estrogen-responsive genes in the myometrium...
- Uterine Leiomyoma Research Center ProgramSerdar E Bulun; Fiscal Year: 2013..The cellular and molecular mechanisms regulating the development and growth of leiomyoma are not well understood...
- MODELS OF IN VIVO MYOMETRIAL GENE TRANSFERGregory Christman; Fiscal Year: 2001..studies have shown in vitro that HSV-tk/GCV cytotoxic gene therapy is very effective in human and ELT-3 rat leiomyoma cells in inducing cell death due to an extremely high bystander effect...
- Racial Disparity for miRNAs in Uterine LeiomyomasJian Jun Wei; Fiscal Year: 2010..Their functional roles in relation to leiomyoma growth will be investigated...
- CCTN - CONTRACEPTIVE CLINICAL TRIALS NETWORK - CORE - FEMALEERIN ALLEN; Fiscal Year: 2013..this contract is to systematically evaluate the safety and efficacy of new female contraceptive drugs and devices as well as gynecologic conditions, such as endometriosis or leiomyoma, in Phase I, II, III, and IV trials.
- Scientific Conference R13BALWANT SINGH AHLUWALIA; Fiscal Year: 2012..research that will continue to build upon and enhance our understanding of the basic pathophysiology of uterine leiomyoma will be discussed...
- The FIRSTT Trial: Assessing Outcomes of Minimally Invasive Leiomyoma TherapiesElizabeth A Stewart; Fiscal Year: 2013..abstract_text> ..
- Leiomyomata Uteri: Apoptosis and Cell Survival PathwaysGregory Christman; Fiscal Year: 2007..The proliferation of uterine leiomyoma cells exceeds the limited number of cells undergoing apoptosis resulting in tumor enlargement...
- Target regulation of neuronal plasticityDavid Pettigrew; Fiscal Year: 2009..explore the role of substrate-bound signals in regulating sympathetic innervation in pre-eclampsia and uterine leiomyoma;(3) and to assess the interaction of sex hormones and neurotrophins with uterine substrate-bound signals in ..
- EXTRACELLULAR MATRIX PRODUCTION BY UTERINE FIBROIDSROMANA NOWAK; Fiscal Year: 1993..The specific aims of this proposal are: 1. To compare human uterine leiomyoma and myometrial expression of a) the extra-cellular matrix proteins collagen Type I, collagen Type III and ..
- Reproductive and Hormonal Risk Factors for AdenomyosisVictoria Holt; Fiscal Year: 2006..hysterectomy during the study period who are found to have a condition other than adenomyosis, endometriosis, or leiomyoma, frequency matched to cases on age, and 2) 500 women randomly selected from computerized enrollment files, also ..
- MENTORING IN RESEARCH ON ENDOMETRIOSISAna Murphy; Fiscal Year: 2005..The line of research used to train the mentees will be the study of the pathophysiology of endometriosis and leiomyoma. She has demonstrated continued commitment to mentoring and training in patient-orientated research...
- FUNCTION OF HB/EGF IN UTERINE STROMAL CELLSJoy Mulholland; Fiscal Year: 2000..As examples, endometrial carcinoma, endometrosis, and leiomyoma are all characterized by abnormal cell proliferation...
- Molecular Etiology of Leiomyoma UteriCheryl Walker; Fiscal Year: 2007Very little is known about the molecular mechanisms that underlie the pathophysiology of leiomyoma uteri...
- CLONING OF A LEIOMYOMA ASSOCIATED GENE ON CHROMOSOME 14Bradley Quade; Fiscal Year: 1999..To positionally clone this leiomyoma-associated gene, Dr...
- Perinatal xenoestrogen exposure: epigenesis and neoplasiaANA SOTO; Fiscal Year: 2007unreadable] DESCRIPTION (provided by applicant): [unreadable] The increased incidence of uterine leiomyoma, testicular and breast cancer observed in European and US populations during the last 50 years prompted scientists to ..
- Protein Tyrosine Kinases in Leiomyomata UteriJean Wang; Fiscal Year: 2007..The clinically apparent incidence of leiomyoma in women of productive age is about 25%, whereas pathological examination places the rate of incidence as high ..
- Modulation of Histone Methyltransferases by XenoestrogensTIFFANY BREDFELDT; Fiscal Year: 2009..that perinatal xenoestrogen exposure reprograms estrogen-responsive genes in the myometrium and elevates leiomyoma incidence in rats...
- RISK FACTORS FOR UTERINE FIBROIDS--A CASE CONTROL STUDYJOEL SCHECTMAN; Fiscal Year: 1999..women aged 35 - 49 years, (2) identify risk factors for leiomyomas, and (3) compare biological measurements in leiomyoma tissue and normal myometrium from the same uterus...
- LHRH SYNTHETIC PEPTIDE VACCINE FOR PROSTATE CANCERCONNIE FINSTAD; Fiscal Year: 1999..g., endometriosis, leiomyoma)...
- LHRH SYNTHETIC PEPTIDE VACCINE FOR PROSTATE CANCERCONNIE FINSTAD; Fiscal Year: 2003..g., endometriosis, leiomyoma)...
- HMGI GENES IN TUMORIGENESISKiran Chada; Fiscal Year: 2002..This will ultimately explain the phenotype of the pygmy mouse and how its disruption or deregulation leads to tumorigenesis including uterine leiomyoma, a major cause of hysterectomy in humans.
- Multiparametric MRI characterization of breast tissueMichael Jacobs; Fiscal Year: 2009..abstract_text> ..
- MR GUIDED PROSTATE CANCER DIAGNOSIS AND BRACHYTHERAPYClare Tempany; Fiscal Year: 2003..An ultimate goal beyond the scope of this application is our collaboration with General Electric Medical systems (GEMS) on new MR-guided technical advances and an NSF funded project to develop medical robotics. ..
- Mechanisms of Progesterone Receptor Action in EndometriosisJI YONG JULIE KIM; Fiscal Year: 2010..These aims will increase the understanding of progesterone resistance in endometriosis as well as investigate the use of targeted biological agents as an alternate treatment for endometriosis. ..
- Novel MRI Contrast Agent for Monitoring Thermal AblationNathan Mcdannold; Fiscal Year: 2006..unreadable] [unreadable]..
- Breast Cancer-Proximal Stroma Interaction & AromataseSerdar E Bulun; Fiscal Year: 2010..noncarrier controls. Proposed studies may lead to new pilot trials of treatment and prevention using p38/JNK inhibitors in BRCA1 mutation carriers. ..
- ESTROGEN BIOSYNTHESIS AND UTERINE LEIOMYOMATASerdar Bulun; Fiscal Year: 2007..We demonstrated local estrogen biosynthesis via P450arom expression in tissue samples and cultured leiomyoma smooth muscle (LSM) cells but not in normal myometrial tissues or cells...
- MECHANISMS OF ESTROGEN BIOSYNTHESIS IN ENDOMETRIOSISSerdar Bulun; Fiscal Year: 2008..Investigation of local feedback mechanisms responsible for interactions between estrogen biosynthesis, tissue growth, and inflammation will lead to the rational design of novel drug treatments. ..
- MR Guided Focused Ultrasound Surgery for Prostate CancerClare Tempany; Fiscal Year: 2009..Thus, at the conclusion of this project we will be poised to begin larger phase II/III clinical trials, with an industrial partner leading to commercial development of a device for further trials. ..
- Antiapoptotic Activity of Alzheimer AbetaCraig Atwood; Fiscal Year: 2003..We also will test whether oxidative stress induces neurons to re-enter the cell cycle as a mechanism leading to cell death. ..
- DEPRESSION AND PRODUCTIVE WORK ACTIVITYDebra Lerner; Fiscal Year: 2003..Study results will contribute to the design of disability prevention and productivity improvement programs and policies. ..
- Biomarkers of Ovarian Cancer Risk: A Prospective StudyAlan Arslan; Fiscal Year: 2004....
- GENETIC DETERMINANTS OF RAT RENAL CARCINOGENESISCheryl Walker; Fiscal Year: 2007....
- The Effect of Lead Exposure on Reproductive Senescence in Premenopausal WomenLeila Jackson; Fiscal Year: 2008..unreadable] [unreadable] [unreadable]..
- Epidemiology of Regulatory T Cells in Pregnancy and Childhood Atopic DiseasesGanesa Wegienka; Fiscal Year: 2008..unreadable] [unreadable] [unreadable] [unreadable]..
- Midcareer Development in Nonpharmacologic AnalgesiaElvira Lang; Fiscal Year: 2006..The mentoring of beginning clinical researchers will have contributed towards fostering a self- sustaining mode of integrated practice in the future. ..
- COOPERATIVE MULTI CENTER REPRODUCTIVE MEDICINE NETWORKEvan Myers; Fiscal Year: 2005..abstract_text> ..
- Shear-mode Transcranial Ultrasound ImagingGregory Clement; Fiscal Year: 2005..It could potentially offer a non-ionizing imaging method that could in operate clinically, while introducing a new technique into medical and biological imaging. ..
- Body size, physical activity, and Hodgkin's disease riskSally Glaser; Fiscal Year: 2004..abstract_text> ..
- Pregnancy Hormonal Profile/Biomarker Breast Cancer RiskAlan Arslan; Fiscal Year: 2004..Moreover, specific hormone(s) or its analogues responsible for protective effect of pregnancy against breast cancer could be used for development of novel strategies for primary chemoprevention of breast cancer. ..
- Reactive Oxygen Species Regulate Smooth Muscle GrowthROMANA NOWAK; Fiscal Year: 2007..We hypothesize that similar ROS-dependent mechanisms are involved in the regulation of leiomyoma SMCs. The specific aims of this proposal are: 1...
- Randomized Trial for Botox for Urinary IncontinenceMichael Flynn; Fiscal Year: 2006..It will provide valuable data to allow for further studies on the clinical and cost-effectiveness of Botox for detrusor instability and urge urinary incontinence. ..
- Novel in vitro and xenograft models to study treatments for tuberous sclerosisThomas Darling; Fiscal Year: 2007..unreadable] [unreadable] [unreadable]..