Genomes and Genes
Summary: A benign, slow-growing tumor, most commonly of the salivary gland, occurring as a small, painless, firm nodule, usually of the parotid gland, but also found in any major or accessory salivary gland anywhere in the oral cavity. It is most often seen in women in the fifth decade. Histologically, the tumor presents a variety of cells: cuboidal, columnar, and squamous cells, showing all forms of epithelial growth. (Dorland, 27th ed)
Publications280 found, 100 shown here
- Intraductal carcinoma is the precursor of carcinoma ex pleomorphic adenoma and is often associated with dysfunctional p53S Ihrler
Institute of Pathology, Ludwig Maximilian University, Munich, Germany
Histopathology 51:362-71. 2007Although intraductal carcinoma has been demonstrated in intracapsular carcinoma ex pleomorphic adenoma (CEPA), the morphological and genetic stages of transformation of pleomorphic adenoma (PA) to CEPA are not fully understood...
- Recurrent pleomorphic adenoma of the palate in a childH Shaaban
Department of Plastic Surgery, Booth Hall Children's Hospital, Manchester M9 7AA, UK
Br J Plast Surg 54:245-7. 2001A rare case of recurrent pleomorphic adenoma of the palate in a 9-year-old boy is presented. Pleomorphic adenoma is relatively rare in children compared with its incidence in adults...
- Immunoprofile of reactive salivary myoepithelial cells in intraductal areas of carcinoma ex-pleomorphic adenomaVera Cavalcanti de Araujo
Department of Oral Pathology, São Leopoldo Mandic Dental Research Institute, Rua Abolição, 1827, 13041 445 Campinas, Sao Paulo, Brazil
Oral Oncol 42:1011-6. 2006..We investigated the immunoprofile of benign MC in intraductal areas of carcinoma ex-pleomorphic adenoma (CXPA), comparing them with the MC in duct-like areas of pleomorphic adenoma, origin of the malignant tumor...
- Salivary gland pleomorphic adenomaWilliam M Mendenhall
Department of Radiation Oncology, University of Florida College of Medicine, Gainesville, FL, USA
Am J Clin Oncol 31:95-9. 2008We discuss the optimal treatment and outcomes for pleomorphic adenoma of the salivary glands by reviewing the pertinent literature. Pleomorphic adenoma is the most common benign salivary gland neoplasm...
- Pleomorphic adenoma of the palate in children and adolescents: a report of 2 cases and review of the literatureJohn Spencer M Daniels
Department of Oral and Maxillofacial Surgery, Regional Dental Center, King Khalid Hospital, Najran, Saudi Arabia
J Oral Maxillofac Surg 65:541-9. 2007
- Management and prognostic factors of recurrent pleomorphic adenoma of the parotid gland: personal experience and review of the literatureLuca Oscar Redaelli de Zinis
Department of Otorhinolaryngology, University of Brescia, Piazza Spedali Civili 1, 25123 Brescia, Italy
Eur Arch Otorhinolaryngol 265:447-52. 2008The aim of this study was to investigate the management and prognostic determinants of recurrent pleomorphic adenoma (RPA)...
- Immunohistochemical study of c-erbB-2 oncoprotein overexpression in human major salivary gland carcinoma: an indicator of aggressivenessS Sugano
Pathology Division, National Cancer Center Research Institute, Tokyo, Japan
Laryngoscope 102:923-7. 1992..Interestingly, positive results were obtained only in adenocarcinoma (6/20) and carcinoma in pleomorphic adenoma (7/15), and not in any other histological types such as adenoid cystic carcinoma, mucoepidermoid tumor, and ..
- Bilateral choroidal metastasis from carcinoma ex pleomorphic adenoma of the parotid glandH Deniz Ilhan
Department of Ophthalmology, Dokuz Eylul University, Izmir, Turkey
Clin Experiment Ophthalmol 33:70-2. 2005..man with bilateral visual loss who had left parotidectomy with subsequent radiotherapy due to carcinoma ex pleomorphic adenoma of the parotid gland 1 year before...
- Carcinoma ex pleomorphic adenoma of the submandibular gland with distant metastasesD Hellin-Meseguer
Department ENT, Vega Baja Hospital, Alicante, Spain
B-ENT 3:27-9. 2007A case of metastatic carcinoma ex pleomorphic adenoma (PA) of the submandibular gland is reported. While reports of local recurrence of this cancer are numerous, few cases of distant metastases have been reported...
- Recurrence of pleomorphic adenoma of the parotid gland--predictive value of cadherin-11 and fascinJuergen Brieger
Department of Otorhinolaryngology, Head and Neck Surgery, Johannes Gutenberg University, Mainz, Germany
APMIS 116:1050-7. 2008..value of cadherin-11, tenascin, fascin, and mucin-1 as markers for the likelihood of recurrence in pleomorphic adenoma of the parotid gland was examined...
- Pleomorphic adenoma of the external auditory canal complicated by hearing loss secondary to chronic otitis mediaKiyoaki Tsukahara
Department of Otolaryngology, Tokyo Medical University, Tokyo, Japan
Auris Nasus Larynx 33:183-6. 2006b>Pleomorphic adenoma (PA) rarely occurs in the external auditory canal (EAC). A case of PA complicated with chronic otitis media is reported...
- PLAG1 gene alterations in salivary gland pleomorphic adenoma and carcinoma ex-pleomorphic adenoma: a combined study using chromosome banding, in situ hybridization and immunocytochemistryCarmo Martins
Centro de Investigacao de Patobiologia Molecular CIPM, Instituto Portugues de Oncologia de Francisco Gentil, Lisboa, Portugal
Mod Pathol 18:1048-55. 2005b>Pleomorphic adenoma is the most common benign tumor of the salivary glands...
- Expression patterns and prognostic significance of inhibitor of apoptosis proteins in adenoid cystic carcinoma and pleomorphic adenoma of lachrymal glandYongchuan Liao
Department of Ophthalmology, West China Hospital, Sichuan University, Chengdu, Sichuan 610041, China
Exp Eye Res 88:4-11. 2009..Adenoid cystic carcinoma (ACC) of lachrymal gland is a malignant tumor with a poor prognosis, while, pleomorphic adenoma (PA) is the benign tumor of lachrymal gland epithelia...
- The significance of the margin in parotid surgery for pleomorphic adenomaRobert L Witt
Section of Otolaryngology Head and Neck Surgery, Department of Surgery, Christiana Care Health Systems, Newark, Delaware, USA
Laryngoscope 112:2141-54. 2002..dramatically reduced the high rates of tumor recurrence that occurred with simple enucleation of parotid pleomorphic adenoma (PPA)...
- Histopathology of pleomorphic adenoma in the parotid gland: a prospective unselected series of 100 casesE Stennert
Department of Otorhinolaryngology, University of Cologne, Koeln, Germany
Laryngoscope 111:2195-200. 2001....
- Carcinoma ex pleomorphic adenoma of the buccal region is composed of salivary duct carcinoma and squamous cell carcinoma componentsK Nakamori
Department of Oral Surgery, Sapporo Medical University School of Medicine, Japan
Int J Oral Maxillofac Surg 38:1116-8. 2009..characteristics consistent with squamous cell carcinoma (SCC), salivary duct carcinoma (SDC) and pleomorphic adenoma (PA). The SCC nests showed no continuity with the buccal mucosa...
- Results of extracapsular dissection of pleomorphic adenoma of parotid glandJanusz Piekarski
Department of Surgical Oncology, Medical University of Lodz, Ul Paderewskiego 4, 93 509 Lodz, Poland
J Oral Maxillofac Surg 62:1198-202. 2004....
- Pleomorphic adenoma of the submandibular gland: clinicopathological and immunohistochemical features of 60 cases in BrazilFabio A Alves
Hospital do Câncer Departamento de Cirurgia de Cabeça e Pescoço e Otorrinolaringologia, R Prof Antônio Prudente, 211, CEP 01509 900, Sao Paulo, Brazil
Arch Otolaryngol Head Neck Surg 128:1400-3. 2002The submandibular gland is involved in only 5% to 10% of the salivary gland tumors, and pleomorphic adenoma (PA) is the most common tumor affecting it...
- Parapharyngeal space pleomorphic adenoma: a 30-year reviewAbie H Mendelsohn
Division of Head and Neck Surgery, University of California Los Angeles School of Medicine, Los Angeles, California 90095, USA
Laryngoscope 119:2170-4. 2009To evaluate the treatment results of pleomorphic adenoma (PA) of the parapharyngeal space at a single institution during a 30-year period.
- Mucin expression in pleomorphic adenoma of salivary gland: a potential role for MUC1 as a marker to predict recurrenceT Hamada
Department of Maxillofacial Diagnostic and Surgical Science, Field of Oral and Maxillofacial Rehabilitation, Kagoshima University Graduate School of Medicine and Dental Sciences, 8 35 1 Sakuragaoka, Kagoshima 890 8544, Japan
J Clin Pathol 57:813-21. 2004b>Pleomorphic adenoma of the salivary gland (PA) is essentially a benign neoplasm. However, patients with recurrent PA are difficult to manage...
- Differential diagnosis between adenoid cystic carcinoma and pleomorphic adenoma of the minor salivary glands of palateGiulio Cerulli
Maxillofacial Surgery Department, I Faculty of Medicine and Surgery, University of Rome La Sapienza, Policlinic Umberto I, Rome, Italy
J Craniofac Surg 15:1056-60. 2004..A retrospective analysis in 24 patients with pleomorphic adenoma and adenoid cystic carcinoma of minor salivary glands of the palate was performed to investigate the ..
- Pleomorphic adenoma: extracapsular dissection versus partial superficial parotidectomy with facial nerve dissectionRobert L Witt
Head and Neck Multidisciplinary Clinic, Helen F Graham Cancer Center, USA
Del Med J 81:119-25. 2009..ECD does not dissect the facial nerve. PSP dissects the facial nerve and provides a 1-2 cm margin around the tumor...
- Carcinoma ex pleomorphic adenoma of the salivary gland: an immunohistochemical studySaori Matsubayashi
Department of Otolaryngology, Tokyo Women s Medical University, Tokyo, Japan
Eur Arch Otorhinolaryngol 264:789-95. 2007..and sex steroid hormone receptors were investigated immunohistochemically in ten cases of carcinoma ex pleomorphic adenoma (Ca-ex-PA) of the salivary glands...
- Palatal pleomorphic adenoma in a child with osteoid formation: report of caseY K Chen
School of Dentistry, Kaohsiung Medical College, Kaohsiung, Taiwan
ASDC J Dent Child 65:209-11. 1998This paper reports a case of palatal pleomorphic adenoma in a Chinese child. The rare histologic feature of osteoid tissues is also presented.
- Pleomorphic adenoma of the nasal septum--a case reportSwarna S Kumar
Departments of Pathology and ENT, Vydehi Institute of Medical Science and Research Center, No 82, EPIP Area, Whitefield, Bangalore
Indian J Pathol Microbiol 47:397-8. 2004b>Pleomorphic adenoma which is also called mixed tumour occur in major salivary glands like parotid and submandibular glands, and is rare in other sites such as the nasal cavity, pharynx, larynx, trachea and lacrimal glands...
- Primary pleomorphic adenoma of the external ear canal. Report of a case and literature reviewKonstantinos Markou
Otolaryngology Department, AHEPA Hospital, Aristotle University of Thessaloniki, Greece
Am J Otolaryngol 29:142-6. 2008..skin of the external auditory meatus that may give rise to (a) benign tumors such as ceruminous adenoma, pleomorphic adenoma, and syringocystadenoma papilliferum, and (b) malignant tumors such as ceruminous adenocarcinoma, adenoid ..
- Role of limited parotidectomy in management of pleomorphic adenomaJ T Johnson
Department of Otolaryngology, School of Medicine, University of Pittsburgh, Pennsylvania, USA
J Laryngol Otol 121:1126-8. 2007There is continued controversy over the extent of parotidectomy required for removal of a benign pleomorphic adenoma from the parotid gland...
- Pleomorphic adenoma of the breastYuji Mizukami
Department of Health Sciences, Graduate School of Medical Science, Kanazawa University, 5 11 80 Kodatsuno, Kanazawa, 920 0942, Japan
Radiat Med 26:442-5. 2008b>Pleomorphic adenoma is a very rare benign tumor of the breast. Only 70 cases have been reported in the world literature...
- Expression of CD44V6 in parotid pleomorphic adenoma and carcinoma ex pleomorphic adenomaSen Yang
Sichuan University, China
Expert Opin Investig Drugs 19:S101-8. 2010..This pattern of expression might be associated with carcinogenesis of parotid pleomorphic adenoma (PPA) which is not widely studied...
- Carcinoma ex pleomorphic adenoma of the parotid gland. Study and implications for diagnostics and therapyJan Christoffer Luers
Department of Otorhinolaryngology, Head and Neck Surgery, University Hospital Cologne, Cologne, Germany
Acta Oncol 48:132-6. 2009Carcinoma ex pleomorphic adenoma (CXPA) is a rare parotid malignancy and until today no standardized concept exists for its therapy apart from recommendations for parotid carcinoma in general...
- Juvenile intraoral pleomorphic adenoma: report of five cases and review of the literatureJ Jorge
Department of Oral Pathology and Semiology, School of Dentistry of Piracicaba, University of Campinas, SP, Brazil
Int J Oral Maxillofac Surg 31:273-5. 2002The aim of this study is to report on five cases of intraoral pleomorphic adenoma (PA) in patients under 18 years of age and to review the literature...
- Expressions of androgen receptor and its co-regulators in carcinoma ex pleomorphic adenoma of salivary glandYoriko Nakajima
Department of Plastic Surgery, Chiba University Graduate School of Medicine, Chuo Ku, Chiba, Japan
Pathology 41:634-9. 2009..The expression of AR has been reported in carcinoma ex pleomorphic adenoma (CXPA) of salivary gland, however AR gene status and the expressions of cofactors for AR signalling have ..
- Simultaneous primary pleomorphic adenoma in parotid gland and minor salivary gland in the parapharyngeal spaceS H Kim
Department of Otolaryngology, National Medical Center, Seoul, Korea
J Laryngol Otol 115:829-30. 2001..Most of them are in the major salivary glands. The author reports the first case of simultaneous pleomorphic adenomas in the parotid gland and minor salivary gland at the parapharyngeal space...
- Glial fibrillary acidic protein and CD57 immunolocalization in cell block preparations is a useful adjunct in the diagnosis of pleomorphic adenomaSejal S Shah
Department of Pathology, SUNY Upstate Medical University, Syracuse, NY, USA
Arch Pathol Lab Med 131:1373-7. 2007The cytologic distinction between pleomorphic adenoma (PA) and adenoid cystic carcinoma (ACC) can be diagnostically challenging in aspirate smears...
- Pleomorphic adenoma of the palate in a child: a case reportKittipong Dhanuthai
Department of Oral Pathology, Faculty of Dentistry, Chulalongkorn University, Bangkok, Thailand
Med Oral Patol Oral Cir Bucal 14:E73-5. 2009..We reported the first case of palatal pleomorphic adenoma in a 13 year-old child from Thailand...
- Cytomorphologic spectrum of carcinoma ex pleomorphic adenomaSonu Nigam
Cytopathology Division, Department of Pathology, Maulana Azad Medical College and Lok Nayak Hospital, New Delhi, India
Acta Cytol 48:309-14. 2004To delineate the cytomorphologic features of carcinoma ex pleomorphic adenoma (CPA) and identify the diagnostic pitfalls.
- Gray-scale and color Doppler ultrasonographic features of pleomorphic adenoma and Warthin's tumor in major salivary glandsWei Hsin Yuan
Division of Radiology, Taipei Municipal Gan Dau Hospital T V G H, Taipei, Taiwan
Clin Imaging 33:348-53. 2009Our aim was to assess the specific ultrasonic characteristics of pleomorphic adenoma and Warthin's tumor in major salivary glands.
- Inter- and intratumoral variability in magnetic resonance imaging of pleomorphic adenoma: an attempt to interpret the variable magnetic resonance findingsKen Motoori
Departments of Radiology and Otolaryngology, Chiba University Hospital, Chiba, Japan
J Comput Assist Tomogr 28:233-46. 2004The purpose of our study was to describe the various magnetic resonance (MR) findings of pleomorphic adenoma and to interpret these findings.
- Preoperative cytodiagnosis of pleomorphic adenoma with extensive lipometaplasia: a case reportNeelaiah Siddaraju
Department of Pathology, Jawaharlal Institute of Postgraduate Medical Education and Research, Pondicherry, India
Acta Cytol 53:457-9. 2009b>Pleomorphic adenoma with extensive lipometaplasia is a rare, benign tumor of salivary gland origin...
- Malignant myoepithelioma arising from recurrent pleomorphic adenoma of the soft palateAlexandros D Karatzanis
Department of Otorhinolaryngology, University of Crete School of Medicine, Heraklion, Crete, Greece
Auris Nasus Larynx 32:435-7. 2005..myoepithelioma is a rare salivary gland neoplasm that can arise either de novo or within a pre-existing pleomorphic adenoma. We report a case of malignant myoepithelioma arising from a pleomorphic adenoma of the soft palate...
- Transformation of pleomorphic adenoma to carcinoma ex pleomorphic adenoma of the parotid gland is independent of p53 mutationsClaudia Gedlicka
Department of Otorhinolaryngology, Medical University of Vienna, 1090 Vienna, Austria
J Surg Oncol 101:127-30. 2010..retrospective study was performed to evaluate the status of p53 in pleomorphic adenomas and carcinomas ex pleomorphic adenoma in the parotid gland...
- Characterization of the epithelial components in pleomorphic adenoma of the salivary glandAkihiko Kawahara
Department of Pathology, Kurume University Hospital, Kurume University School of Medicine, Asahimachi, Kurume, Japan
Acta Cytol 46:1095-100. 2002To clarify the cytomorphologic characteristics of luminal epithelial cells (LEC) and neoplastic myoepithelial cells (NMC) in pleomorphic adenoma (PA).
- Malignant plasmacytoid myoepithelioma of the palate: histological observations compared to benign predominant plasmacytoid myoepithelial cells in pleomorphic adenoma of the palateH Kuwabara
Department of Pathology, Kagawa Medical University, Japan
Ultrastruct Pathol 22:153-60. 1998Predominant benign plasmacytoid myoepithelial cells in pleomorphic adenoma and malignant plasmacytoid myoepithelioma cells were investigated morphologically. The cells of both tumors were plasmacytoid in appearance and sheet-like...
- Pleomorphic adenoma of the breast should be excised with a cuff of normal tissueBiku J John
Department of Surgery, Mayday University Hospital, Croydon, Surrey, UK
Breast J 13:418-20. 2007b>Pleomorphic adenoma is a benign tumor found rarely in the breast but commonly in the salivary gland. Unlike the salivary gland variant management guidelines are poorly defined in the breast...
- Pleomorphic adenoma of the vulva: a review illustrated by a clinical caseR H M Dykgraaf
Division of Gynaecology and Gynaecologic Oncology, Department of Obstetrics and Gynaecology, Erasmus MC Daniel den Hoed University Medical Center, Rotterdam, The Netherlands
Int J Gynecol Cancer 16:920-3. 2006The pleomorphic adenoma of the vulva is an extremely scarce diagnosis. This form of neoplasm is more frequently observed in other topographic sites of the human body...
- Total-length invasion of the facial nerve by parotid carcinoma ex pleomorphic adenomaTakeshi Tsutsumi
Department of Oto Rhino Laryngology, Dokkyo Medical University Koshigaya Hospital, Minami Koshigaya, Saitama, Japan
Auris Nasus Larynx 36:618-22. 2009..Pathological examination revealed the salivary duct carcinoma subtype of carcinoma ex pleomorphic adenoma. Within the facial nerve, the epineurium, perineurium and endoneurium were affected throughout its length...
- Prognostic factors of recurrence in salivary carcinoma ex pleomorphic adenoma, with emphasis on the carcinoma histologic subtype: a clinicopathologic study of 43 casesNora Katabi
Department of Pathology, Memorial Sloan Kettering Cancer Center, New York, NY 10075, USA
Hum Pathol 41:927-34. 2010Carcinoma ex pleomorphic adenoma is a rare salivary gland neoplasm, especially when the malignant component is only intracapsular/minimally invasive...
- Giant pleomorphic adenoma of the parotid glandAdemar Takahama
Department of Oral Diagnosis, Piracicaba Dental School, University of Campinas, Brazil
Med Oral Patol Oral Cir Bucal 13:E58-60. 2008b>Pleomorphic adenoma is the most common type of all benign and malignant salivary gland tumors, involving more frequently the parotid gland...
- Infarction after fine needle aspiration biopsy of pleomorphic adenoma of the parotid glandH Bayramoglu
Department of Pathology, Pamukkale University Faculty of Medicine, Denizli, Turkey
Acta Cytol 45:1008-10. 2001Fine needle aspiration (FNA) is a well-established and safe method for the rapid diagnosis of pleomorphic adenoma. A few clinically important complications, including bleeding, infection and inflammatory reactions, result from FNA...
- Expression of hormonal receptor in patients with metastasizing pleomorphic adenoma of the major salivary gland; a clinicopathological report of three casesNoppadol Larbcharoensub
Department of Pathology, Faculty ofMedicine, Ramathibodi Hospital, Mahidol University, Bangkok, Thailand
J Med Assoc Thai 92:1250-5. 2009Metastasizing pleomorphic adenoma is an uncommon malignant tumor of the salivary gland demonstrating benign epithelial and modified myoepithelial elements intermingling with tissue of mucoid, myxoid, or chondroid appearance that ..
- Pleomorphic adenoma of the upper lip in a childMônica A Lotufo
Department of Oral Diagnosis, School of Dentistry, Ibirapuera University, Sao Paulo, Brazil
J Oral Sci 50:225-8. 2008This case report describes a rare and unusual lesion found in a 12-year-old boy, which was diagnosed as pleomorphic adenoma of the minor salivary glands in the upper lip. The tumor was a circumscribed, submucosal nodule, about 2...
- Expression of cyclooxygenase-2, Bcl-2 and Ki-67 in pleomorphic adenoma with special reference to tumor proliferation and apoptosisTakayuki Aoki
Department of Oral Surgery, Tokai University School of Medicine, Bohseidai, Isehara, Kanagawa 259 1193, Japan
Oral Oncol 40:954-9. 2004..report is of immunohistochemical and cell biological studies on cyclooxygenase(COX)-2, Bcl-2 and Ki-67 in pleomorphic adenoma (n = 35)...
- Angiogenic and lymphangiogenic microvessel density in recurrent pleomorphic adenomaAndresa B Soares
Centro de Pesquisa São Leopoldo Mandic, Rua José Rocha Junqueira 13 Ponte Preta, 13045 755, Campinas, SP, Brazil
J Oral Pathol Med 38:623-9. 2009Recurrent pleomorphic adenoma (RPA) is an uncommon and challenging disease...
- Pleomorphic adenoma with mucinous and squamous differentiation: a mimicker of mucoepidermoid carcinomaS P Guo
Department of Pathology, Xijing Hospital, The Fourth Military Medical University, Xian, China
Int J Surg Pathol 17:335-7. 2009b>Pleomorphic adenoma with foci of squamous and mucinous differentiation can potentially be misdiagnosed as low-grade mucoepidermoid carcinoma...
- Giant pleomorphic adenoma of the parotid gland with malignant transformationTakashi Honda
Tokyo Women s Medical University, Tokyo, Japan
Ann Plast Surg 55:524-7. 2005..examination revealed adenocarcinoma cells with hyperchromatic nuclei and mitotic figures proliferated in pleomorphic adenoma. Many authors have reported giant tumors weighing more than a few kilograms of the parotid glands, and most ..
- Polymorphous low-grade adenocarcinoma versus pleomorphic adenoma of minor salivary glands: resolution of a diagnostic dilemma by immunohistochemical analysis with glial fibrillary acidic proteinA E Curran
University of Mississippi Medical Center, USA
Oral Surg Oral Med Oral Pathol Oral Radiol Endod 91:194-9. 2001Differentiating polymorphous low-grade adenocarcinoma (PLGA) from pleomorphic adenoma (PA) in salivary gland biopsy specimens from the palatal region might be a diagnostic dilemma for the pathologist when tumors are cellular with minimal ..
- Sustained response of carcinoma ex pleomorphic adenoma treated with trastuzumab and capecitabineElad Sharon
Lung and Upper Aerodigestive Cancer Research Group, Division of Cancer Prevention, National Cancer Institute, National Institutes of Health, Bethesda, USA
Head Neck Oncol 2:12. 2010Carcinoma ex pleomorphic adenoma is a rare histologic subtype of salivary gland cancer with an overall poor prognosis...
- Non-invasive (intracapsular) carcinoma ex pleomorphic adenoma: recognition of focal carcinoma by HER-2/neu and MIB1 immunohistochemistryS Di Palma
Department of Histopathology, Royal Surrey County Hospital, University of Surrey, Guilford, UK
Histopathology 46:144-52. 2005Non-invasive carcinoma ex pleomorphic adenoma is defined as a carcinoma arising within the boundaries of a pleomorphic adenoma (PA), but which fails to display invasion beyond the capsule of host PA...
- Expression of estrogen receptor, progesterone receptor, and insulin-like growth factor receptor-1 and of MIB-1 in patients with recurrent pleomorphic adenoma of the parotid glandAfina S Glas
Department of Surgical Oncology, University Hospital Groningen, Groningen, The Netherlands
Cancer 94:2211-6. 2002....
- Lipomatous pleomorphic adenoma of parotid glandH Korkmaz
Histopathology 40:487-8. 2002
- Pleomorphic adenoma of the lower lip: report of a caseE W H To
Division of Head and Neck, Plastic and Reconstructive Surgery, Department of Surgery, The Chinese University of Hong Kong, Hong Kong
J Oral Maxillofac Surg 60:684-6. 2002
- Myxolipomatous pleomorphic adenoma: an unusual oral presentationFumio Ide
Department of Oral Pathology, Meikai University School of Dentistry, 1 1 Keyakidai, Sakado, Saitama 350 0283, Japan
J Oral Pathol Med 33:53-5. 2004The first case of a myxoid variant of lipomatous pleomorphic adenoma arising in the intraoral minor salivary gland is presented...
- Carcinoma ex pleomorphic adenoma of the palatal minor salivary gland with extension into the nasopharynxM Furukawa
Department of Otorhinolaryngology, Sendai National Hospital, 2 8 8 Miyagino Miyagino ku, Sendai 983 8520, Japan
Auris Nasus Larynx 28:279-81. 2001Carcinoma ex pleomorphic adenoma presenting in the nasopharynx is extremely rare. We present a case of carcinoma ex pleomorphic adenoma occupying the nasopharynx and the soft palate in a 51-year-old woman...
- Pleomorphic adenoma with extensive adenoid cystic carcinoma-like cribriform areas of parotid glandIkuko Ogawa
Clinical Laboratory, Hiroshima University Dental Hospital, Hiroshima University, Japan
Pathol Int 53:30-4. 2003We report an interesting case of pleomorphic adenoma (PA) with extensive adenoid cystic carcinoma (ACC)-like cribriform areas of parotid gland along with a discussion of the differential diagnosis...
- Metastatic benign pleomorphic adenoma. Report of a case and review of the literatureJavier Rodríguez-Fernández
Maxillofacial Dept, Hospital Universitari Joan XXIII, Tarragona, Spain
Med Oral Patol Oral Cir Bucal 13:E193-6. 2008b>Pleomorphic adenoma (PA), originally called mixed tumour, is the most common neoplasm of the salivary glands and is generally accepted as benign biologically. Occasionally PA may give rise to metastasis...
- Accessory parotid gland carcinoma ex pleomorphic adenoma. Case study diagnosed by fine needle aspirationDimitrios Tamiolakis
Department of Cytopathology, General Hospital of Chania, Crete, Greece
Stomatologija 11:37-40. 2009..7% of all parotid gland tumors. Carcinoma ex pleomorphic adenoma arises from a pre-existing benign mixed tumor...
- Surgical techniques in the treatment of pleomorphic adenoma of the parotid gland: our experience and review of literatureV Valentini
Department of Maxillofacial Surgery, University of Rome, La Sapienza, Italy
J Craniofac Surg 12:565-8. 2001This paper presents a retrospective study carried out on a sample of 100 patients affected by pleomorphic adenoma of the parotid gland and treated at the Department of Maxillofacial Surgery at the University of Rome "La Sapienza&..
- Expression of betacatenin in carcinoma in pleomorphic adenoma, pleomorphic adenoma and normal salivary gland: an immunohistochemical studyRenata Falchete do Prado
Post Graduate Student in Oral Pathology, School of Dentistry of São José dos Campos, UNESP, Brasil
Med Oral Patol Oral Cir Bucal 11:E247-51. 2006..The objective of this study was to detect the expression of beta-catenin in pleomorphic adenomas, carcinomas in pleomorphic adenomas and normal salivary glands to discuss its role in the development of these two lesions...
- Carcinoma ex pleomorphic adenoma (CXPA): immunoprofile of the cells involved in carcinomatous progressionA Altemani
Department of Oral Pathology MTM, NSA, School of Dentistry, University of Sao Paulo, Sao Paulo, Brazil
Histopathology 46:635-41. 2005To characterize the cellular component in pleomorphic adenoma (PA) that undergoes malignant transformation in carcinoma ex pleomorphic adenoma (CXPA).
- [Pleomorphic adenoma of minor salivary glands]Piotr Cwalina
Klinika Chorób Uszu, Nosa, Gardła i Krtani AM w Gdańsku
Otolaryngol Pol 56:737-40. 2002b>Pleomorphic adenoma, a benign tumor often seen in ENT practice, arises either from minor as well from major salivary glands. 5-14% of tumors occur in minor glands. Sixteen cases of minor salivary gland pleomorphic adenomas are studied...
- Ossifying pleomorphic adenoma of the parotid gland: a case report and reviewH Kato
Department of Radiology, Gifu University School of Medicine, Gifu, Japan
Australas Radiol 51:B173-5. 2007b>Pleomorphic adenoma is the most common parotid gland neoplasm and occasionally arises from the deep lobe of the parotid gland with extension into the parapharyngeal space...
- Biomarker analysis in carcinoma ex pleomorphic adenoma at an early phase of carcinomatous transformationLeandro L L Freitas
Department of Pathology, Medical Science Faculty, University of Campinas UNICAMP, Campinas, SP, Brazil
Int J Surg Pathol 13:337-42. 2005Diagnostic criteria for intracapsular carcinoma ex pleomorphic adenoma (CXPA) are subjective and vary among authors...
- Salivary gland-like tumours of the breast: surgical and molecular pathologyM Pia-Foschini
Department of Pathology, University of Bologna, at Ospedale Bellaria, Bologna, I 40139 Italy
J Clin Pathol 56:497-506. 2003..group comprises a spectrum of lesions ranging from "bona fide" benign (such as benign myoepithelioma and pleomorphic adenoma), to low grade malignant (such as adenoid cystic carcinoma, low grade adenosquamous carcinoma, and ..
- Magnetic resonance imaging of pleomorphic adenoma arising from the external auditory canalChisako Masumura
Department of Otolaryngology, Osaka University Medical School, Suita, Osaka, Japan
J Laryngol Otol 117:908-9. 2003b>Pleomorphic adenoma arising from the external auditory canal is a very rare neoplasm, and there has been no report on magnetic resonance (MR) imaging of pleomorphic adenoma of the external auditory canal...
- Precancerous foci in pleomorphic adenoma of the salivary gland: recognition of focal carcinoma and atypical tumor cells by P53 immunohistochemistrySachiko Ohtake
Division of Oral Pathology, Department of Tissue Regeneration and Reconstruction, Niigata University Graduate School of Medical and Dental Sciences, Japan
J Oral Pathol Med 31:590-7. 2002..It is still controversial if atypical tumor cells scattered in salivary pleomorphic adenomas are precancerous and how carcinoma arises in pleomorphic adenomas...
- Metachronous bilateral pleomorphic adenoma of the parotid glandSindeval José da Silva
Department of Head and Neck Surgery, University Hospital, School of Medicine, Federal University of Uberlandia, Uberlandia, MG, Brazil
Oral Surg Oral Med Oral Pathol Oral Radiol Endod 101:333-8. 2006..Only on the left side some facial nerve branches were removed that induced partial paralysis in the patient. A review of the pertinent literature is included...
- Carcinoma ex pleomorphic adenoma: a clinicopathologic reviewK D Olsen
Department of Otorhinolaryngology, Mayo Clinic, 200 First Street SW, Rochester, MN 55905, USA
Head Neck 23:705-12. 2001BACKGROUND: Carcinoma ex pleomorphic adenoma (CXPA) is an aggressive, poorly understood salivary gland malignancy...
- Surgical treatment of recurrent pleomorphic adenoma of the parotid gland: a clinical analysis of 52 patientsA S Glas
Department of Surgical Oncology/Head and Neck Surgery, University Hospital, Groningen, P.O. Box 30.001, 9700RB The Netherlands
Head Neck 23:311-6. 2001BACKGROUND: Surgical management of recurrent pleomorphic adenoma of the parotid gland has a considerable risk of facial nerve injury and a high re-recurrence rate. To obtain more insight into this issue we evaluated our experiences...
- Cyclin D1 and p16 expression in pleomorphic adenoma and carcinoma ex pleomorphic adenoma of the parotid glandR S Patel
Sydney Head and Neck Cancer Institute, Sydney Cancer Centre, and University of Sydney, Gloucester House, Royal Prince Alfred Hospital, Camperdown, NSW, Australia
Histopathology 51:691-6. 2007To compare cyclin D1 and p16(ink4) (p16) expression in normal tissue, pleomorphic adenoma (PA) and carcinoma ex pleomorphic adenoma (CXPA) of the parotid gland.
- Overexpression of cyclooxygenase-2 correlates with cytoplasmic HuR expression in salivary mucoepidermoid carcinoma but not in pleomorphic adenomaNam Pyo Cho
Department of Oral Pathology, School of Dentistry and Institute of Oral Bioscience, Chonbuk National University, Jeonju, Korea
J Oral Pathol Med 36:297-303. 2007..HuR is an mRNA-binding protein that controls the stability of certain transcripts including COX-2...
- Expression of epidermal growth factor receptor, transforming growth factor-alpha and Ki-67 in relationship to malignant transformation of pleomorphic adenomaHideaki Katori
Department of Otolaryngology, Yokohama, City Minato Red Cross Hospital, Yokohama, Japan
Acta Otolaryngol 127:1207-13. 2007..The data support the hypothesis that increased epidermal growth factor receptor (EGFR) and transforming growth factor (TGF)-alpha expression is associated with early events in malignant transformation of pleomorphic adenoma (PA).
- Promoter swapping between the genes for a novel zinc finger protein and beta-catenin in pleiomorphic adenomas with t(3;8)(p21;q12) translocationsK Kas
Laboratory for Molecular Oncology, University of Leuven, Belgium
Nat Genet 15:170-4. 1997..Activation of PLAG1 was also observed in an adenoma with a variant translocation t(8;15)(q12;q14). Our results indicate that PLAG1 activation due to promoter swapping is a crucial event in salivary gland tumourigenesis...
- Recurrent pleomorphic adenoma of the parotid gland: analysis of 108 consecutive patientsClaus Wittekindt
Clinic of Otorhinolaryngology, Head and Neck Surgery, University of Cologne, D 50924 Cologne, Germany
Head Neck 29:822-8. 2007Surgery for recurrent parotid pleomorphic adenoma is a challenging problem.
- Expression patterns of integrins on pleomorphic adenoma and adenoid cystic carcinoma: study on specimens and in vitro investigation of the effects of extracellular matrix on the expression of these adhesion moleculesS V Lourenco
Instituto de Medicina Tropical de São Paulo and Department of Dermatology, Medical School of the University of São Paulo, Sao Paulo, SP, Brazil
J Oral Pathol Med 33:574-80. 2004b>Pleomorphic adenoma (PA) and adenoid cystic carcinoma (ACC) are neoplasms of distinct behaviour, showing similar origin, cell components and marked presence of extracellular matrix (ECM)...
- Pleomorphic adenoma arising in an accessory lacrimal gland of WolfringGhassan A Alyahya
Eye Pathology Institute, University of Copenhagen, Copenhagen, Denmark
Ophthalmology 113:879-82. 2006To describe a patient with pleomorphic adenoma arising in an accessory lacrimal gland of Wolfring in the lower lid and to illustrate the immunohistochemical and molecular cytogenetics.
- Increased expression of cyclooxygenase-2 and Ki-67 are associated with malignant transformation of pleomorphic adenomaHideaki Katori
Department of Otolaryngology, Yokohama City Minato Red Cross Hospital, 3 12 1 Shin Yamashita, Naka ku, Yokohama 231 8682, Japan
Auris Nasus Larynx 34:79-84. 2007..present study, we attempted to identify cyclooxygenase-2 (COX-2) expression and Ki-67 index in carcinoma ex-pleomorphic adenoma (Ca ex-PA) using quantitative immunohistochemical analysis and to compare the benign component of the ..
- Oncocytic change in pleomorphic adenoma: molecular evidence in support of an origin in neoplastic cellsSilvana Di Palma
Royal Surrey County Hospital, University of Surrey, Guildford, UK
J Clin Pathol 60:492-9. 2007..When found within pleomorphic adenomas (PAs), cells with OC may be perceived as evidence of malignancy, and lead to a misdiagnosis of carcinoma ex pleomorphic adenoma (CaExPa).
- Cytologic findings of a pleomorphic adenoma of the breast: a case reportPerikala V Kumar
Department of Pathology, Shiraz Medical School, Shiraz, IR Iran
Acta Cytol 48:849-52. 2004b>Pleomorphic adenoma of the breast is a rare benign tumor. Only a few cases have been reported. The histologic features have been described well. However, the cytologic findings have been described in only a few papers.
- Recurrent pleomorphic adenoma of the parotid glandJohn P Leonetti
Loyola Center for Cranial Base Surgery, Maywood, IL 60153, USA
Otolaryngol Head Neck Surg 133:319-22. 2005To assess the long-term results in the management of 42 patients with recurrent pleomorphic adenoma of the parotid gland.
- Metastasising pleomorphic adenoma of the parotid glandT Sabesan
Department of Oral and Maxillofacial Surgery, Poole General Hospital, Longfleet Road, Poole, Dorset, UK
Br J Oral Maxillofac Surg 45:65-7. 2007A 33-year-old man had a left superficial parotidectomy for a pleomorphic adenoma. He remained well, but 28 years later developed a metastasis in a lymph node in the left supraclavicular fossa.
- Endoscopic resection of pleomorphic adenoma arising in the nasopharynxJong Lyel Roh
Department of Otolaryngology Head and Neck Surgery, Cancer Research Institute, Chungnam National University College of Medicine, Daejeon, South Korea
Acta Otolaryngol 125:910-12. 2005b>Pleomorphic adenoma is the commonest benign tumor of the salivary glands. It has rarely been reported arising in the nasopharynx...
- CNS metastases of carcinoma ex pleomorphic adenoma of the parotid glandS P Sheedy
Department of Radiology, Mayo Clinic, 200 First Street SW, Rochester, MN 55905, USA
AJNR Am J Neuroradiol 27:1483-5. 2006..This case report presents the clinical and radiographic features of a rare case of biopsy proved brain and spinal cord metastases arising from carcinoma ex PA of the parotid gland...
- Nasopharyngeal pleomorphic adenoma in the adultScott L Lee
Division of Otolaryngology Head and Neck Surgery, Albany Medical Center, Albany, New York 12208 3420, USA
Laryngoscope 116:1281-3. 2006Salivary gland tumors account for less than 5% of all neoplasms in the head and neck, with pleomorphic adenoma being the most common type...
- Recurrent pleomorphic adenoma of the parotid glandEvelyn Linda Maxwell
Department of Otolaryngology Head Neck Surgery, University of Toronto, Mount Sinai Hospital, Toronto, ON
J Otolaryngol 33:181-4. 2004This is a retrospective analysis of 35 patients treated for a first recurrence of pleomorphic adenoma of the parotid gland from 1982 to 1997. All patients were treated surgically; no patient received radiotherapy for benign disease...
- Pleomorphic adenoma of salivary gland: to what extent does fine needle aspiration cytology reflect histopathological features?D K Das
Department of Pathology, Faculty of Medicine, Kuwait University, Kuwait
Cytopathology 16:65-70. 2005The histological diversity encountered in pleomorphic adenoma may cause diagnostic difficulty in fine needle aspiration (FNA) cytology due to limited and selective sampling...
- Fine-needle aspiration biopsy of cystic pleomorphic adenoma with adnexa-like differentiation mimicking mucoepidermoid carcinoma: a case reportNoman H Siddiqui
Division of Cytopathology, Department of Pathology MC 847, University of Illinois Medical Center at Chicago, 1819 W Polk St, Room 446, Chicago, IL 60612, USA
Diagn Cytopathol 32:229-32. 2005..Presence of squamous, mucinous, and/or sebaceous metaplasia, especially in the absence of chondromyxoid stroma, presents the potential for misinterpretation of the FNAB as indicative of malignancy in general and MEC in particular...
- Recurrent pleomorphic adenoma of the parotid glandPeter Zbären
Department of Otorhinolaryngology, Head and Neck Surgery, University Hospital, University of Berne, CH 3010 Berne, Switzerland
Am J Surg 189:203-7. 2005Surgery of recurrent pleomorphic adenoma presents an increased risk of facial nerve injury and a considerable re-recurrence rate.
- Stereotactic radiosurgery for recurrent pleomorphic adenoma invading the skull base--case report--Tohru Kamida
Department of Neurosurgery, Oita University Faculty of Medicine
Neurol Med Chir (Tokyo) 45:161-3. 2005A 38-year-old man presented with a recurrent pleomorphic adenoma in the parapharyngeal space invading the skull base 19 years after the first operation for a parotid gland tumor...
- Pleomorphic adenoma of the lacrimal gland. Case reportAlejandro Ostrosky
Servicio de Cirugia Maxilofacial, Hospital Mariano y Luciano de La Vega, Moreno, Buenos Aires, Argentina
Med Oral Patol Oral Cir Bucal 10:88-9; 86-8. 2005..We present a case of a 69 year old male patient with a one year history of an orbital tumor (Pleomorphic Adenoma)...
- Carcinoma ex-pleomorphic adenoma of the breast. Report of three cases suggesting a relationship to metaplastic carcinoma of matrix-producing typeMalcolm M Hayes
Department of Pathology, British Columbia Cancer Agency, Vancouver, BC, V5Z 4E6, Canada
Virchows Arch 446:142-9. 2005Three cases of carcinoma ex-pleomorphic adenoma of the breast are reported. Patients were 82, 60 and 56 years old and presented with a breast lump...
- The role of postoperative radiation therapy in carcinoma ex pleomorphic adenoma of the parotid glandAllen M Chen
Department of Radiation Oncology, University of California, San Francisco UCSF Comprehensive Cancer Center, San Francisco, CA
Int J Radiat Oncol Biol Phys 67:138-43. 2007To evaluate the impact of postoperative radiation therapy on the clinical course of patients with carcinoma ex pleomorphic adenoma of the parotid gland.
- Validated Modeling and Culture of Salivary CancersWendell G Yarbrough; Fiscal Year: 2013..adenoid cystic, adenocarcinoma not otherwise specified, polymorphous low grade adenocarcinoma, carcinoma ex-pleomorphic adenoma, and salivary ductal carcinoma...
- PLAGL2 Expression in Emphysema Patient LungsYih Sheng Yang; Fiscal Year: 2009Abstract: Pleomorphic Adenoma Gene Like-2 (PLAGL2) was identified as a transactivator of surfactant protein C (SP-C)...
- IMMUNOCHEMISTRY OF SALIVARY MUCINS IN DENTAL DISEASERobert Cohen; Fiscal Year: 1992..These findings will then be compared with those found for neoplastic salivary gland tissues using pleomorphic adenoma, mucoepidermoid carcinoma, and adenocystic carcinoma as models...
- BR22, A Novel Protein Interacting with TTF-1Yih Sheng Yang; Fiscal Year: 2005..Two-color or triple-color staining of endogenous proteins in H441 cells or the lung sections will be performed to detect their expression in SP-B producing cells. ..