- Inferior vena cava resection and reconstruction for retroperitoneal tumor excision
Division of Vascular Surgery, University of California, Los Angeles, Calif, USA
J Vasc Surg 55:1386-93; discussion 1393. 2012
..This study reviews the results of en bloc resection of the inferior vena cava (IVC) for malignant tumor excision and reconstruction...
- Towards the definition of the best management and prognostic factors of teratoma with malignant transformation: a single-institution case series and new proposal
Department of Medicine, Urology Unit, Fondazione IRCCS Istituto Nazionale dei Tumori, Milan, Italy
BJU Int 107:1088-94. 2011
..To investigate the optimal management and prognostic factors of patients with malignant transformation (MT) in germ-cell tumour (GCT) by re-evaluating Institutional series...
- Retroperitoneal extraadrenal myelolipoma: Technetium-99m sulfur colloid scintigraphy and CT imaging
Ba D Nguyen
Department of Radiology, Mayo Clinic, Scottsdale, AZ 85259, USA
Clin Nucl Med 32:135-8. 2007
- [18F]Fluorodeoxyglucose positron emission tomography in nonseminomatous germ cell tumors after chemotherapy: the German multicenter positron emission tomography study group
Department of Oncology Hematology, Bone marrow transplantation Pneumology, University Medical Center Eppendorf, Martinistr 52, 20246 Hamburg, Germany
J Clin Oncol 26:5930-5. 2008
..This prospective trial has evaluated the accuracy of [(18)F]fluorodeoxyglucose positron emission tomography (FDG-PET) for the prediction of histology compared with computed tomography (CT) and serum tumor markers (STM)...
- Papillary renal cell-like carcinoma in a retroperitoneal teratoma
Department of Pathology, Sestre Milosrdnice University Hospital, Zagreb, Croatia
Pathol Int 60:581-5. 2010
..In such cases, the presence of isochromosome 12p can be helpful to the diagnosis...
- Primary retroperitoneal sarcomas: a multivariate analysis of surgical factors associated with local control
Department of Surgery, Public Health, and Medical Oncology, Institut Gustave Roussy, Villejuif, France
J Clin Oncol 27:31-7. 2009
..To define the optimal initial management and the best extent of surgery that would optimize margins on primary retroperitoneal sarcomas (RPS)...
- Prognostic factors in retroperitoneal sarcoma: a multivariate analysis of a series of 165 patients of the French Cancer Center Federation Sarcoma Group
Department of Surgery, Institut Bergonie, Bordeaux, France
Cancer 92:359-68. 2001
..However, despite progress, surgery alone is rarely curative, and analysis of the causes of failures and of other prognostic factors are warranted to ascertain treatment orientations...
- Soft tissue sarcomas
Janice N Cormier
Department of Surgical Oncology and Biostatistics, University of Texas MD Anderson Cancer Center, Houston, TX, USA
CA Cancer J Clin 54:94-109. 2004
..Progress in the molecular characteristics of these tumors should in the near future translate into molecularly based therapies that can be incorporated into standard treatment strategies...
- [Comparison of intensity-modulated postoperative radiotherapy with conventional postoperative conformal radiotherapy for retroperitoneal sarcoma]
Departement de Radiotherapie, Centre Regional de Lutte Contre le Cancer, Institut Bergonie, 229, cours de l Argonne, 33076 Bordeaux, France
Cancer Radiother 8:255-61. 2004
- Retroperitoneal paraganglioma in a child: resection and vena caval reconstruction
C J Bourke
Department of Paediatric Surgery, University of Queensland, Royal Children s Hospital, Brisbane, Australia
Pediatr Surg Int 18:505-8. 2002
..Caval reconstruction was completed using a complex autograft of anterior uninvolved vena cava and right renal vein. At 4-year follow-up, the child remains tumor-free with normal caval flow and patency...
- Synchronous presentation of cardiac and abdominal paragangliomas
Department of Cardiothoracic Surgery, Princess Alexandra Hospital, Woolloongabba, Brisbane, Australia
Ann Thorac Surg 93:e115-7. 2012
..Serum catecholamines returned to the normal range postoperatively and all antihypertensive therapy was ceased...
- Laparoscopic resection of a retroperitoneal schwannoma
Department of Vascular Surgery, Ambroise Pare University Hospital, 9 avenue Charles de Gaulle, Boulogne Cedex, France
Surg Endosc 17:520. 2003
..In our case, despite the large size of the tumor and the high level of compression of the IVC, a totally laparoscopic resection was feasible...
- Resection of advanced stage malignant retroperitoneal neoplasms with tumor thrombus extending into the right atrium: report of four cases
Division of Cardiovascular Surgery, Department of Surgery, Osaka University Graduate School of Medicine, 2 2 Yamada oka, Suita, Osaka, Japan
Surg Today 41:262-5. 2011
Surgery for retroperitoneal neoplasms with a tumor thrombus extension into the right atrium is challenging...
- Leiomyosarcoma of the inferior vena cava
Department of Radiology, Kaunas University of Medicine, Lithuania
Medicina (Kaunas) 46:200-3. 2010
..Radiological examination revealed retroperitoneal tumor and helped to choose surgical treatment. Histopathological examination confirmed the diagnosis of leiomyosarcoma of the inferior vena cava...
- Retroperitoneal extra-adrenal paraganglioma: a rare but important diagnosis
Department of Urology, Mercy University Hospital, Cork, Ireland
Ir J Med Sci 178:211-4. 2009
..Their malignant behaviour cannot be predicted on initial clinical and histological assessment. These tumours have higher propensity for subsequent metastasis compared with pargangliomas at other sites...
- Extending indication for radiofrequency ablation (RFA) in cancer surgery
General and Oncological Surgery Clinic I, Al Trestioreanu Oncological Institute of Bucharest, Romania
Chirurgia (Bucur) 106:585-9. 2011
..The results have shown the usefulness of the application of RFA with the purpose of reducing the tumoral mass and the hemostatic role of the method. No complications were recorded...
- Surgical technique, morbidity, and outcome of primary retroperitoneal sarcoma involving inferior vena cava
Department of Surgery, Fondazione IRCCS Istituto Nazionale Tumori, Milan, Italy
Ann Surg Oncol 19:511-8. 2012
..The aim of the study was to review a monoinstitutional series of IVC resections for RSTS (mainly IVC leiomyosarcoma), focusing on the type of vascular replacement, morbidity, and oncologic outcome...
- Laparoscopic excision of retroperitoneal tumors: technique and review of the laparoscopic experience
M O Cadeddu
University of Toronto Center for Minimally Invasive Surgery, St. Michael's Hospital, Ontario, Canada
Surg Laparosc Endosc Percutan Tech 11:144-7. 2001
..A major advantage of laparoscopic resections is that the patient recovers rapidly with minimal morbidity...
- Conformal proton radiation treatment for retroperitoneal neuroblastoma: introduction of a novel technique
E B Hug
Department of Radiation Medicine, Loma Linda University Medical Center, Loma Linda, California, USA
Med Pediatr Oncol 37:36-41. 2001
..We utilized proton radiation therapy (PRT) to reduce dose to uninvolved kidneys, liver, intestine, and spinal cord...
- Primary retroperitoneal transitional cell carcinoma presenting as a dumb-bell tumour
Department of General Surgery, Institute of Medical Sciences, Banaras Hindu University, Varanasi 221005, India
Singapore Med J 50:e384-7. 2009
..We highlight the rarity of the disease, its atypical presentation as a cystic dumb-bell lump, its diagnostic challenges and aggressive behaviour, and review the literature on primary retroperitoneal transitional cell carcinomas...
- Use of intraoperative electron beam radiotherapy in the management of retroperitoneal soft tissue sarcomas
Ivy A Petersen
Division of Radiation Oncology, Mayo Clinic, Rochester, MN 55905, USA
Int J Radiat Oncol Biol Phys 52:469-75. 2002
..To evaluate the disease control, survival results, and tolerance of intraoperative electron beam radiotherapy (IOERT) as a component of treatment for retroperitoneal soft tissue sarcomas...
- Retroperitoneal lymph node dissection: reassessment of modified templates
Michael C Large
Section of Urology, University of Chicago Medical Center, Chicago, IL, USA
BJU Int 104:1369-75. 2009
..For patients undergoing primary or post-chemotherapy RPLND, a full bilateral template (with nerve-sparing when appropriate) maximizes cure rates while minimizing ejaculatory morbidity and the subsequent need for chemotherapy...
- The management of retroperitoneal liposarcoma with synchronous intra-duodenal sarcoma
Department of Surgery, Royal Liverpool University Hospital, Liverpool, UK
Eur J Surg Oncol 29:515-8. 2003
..Intra-duodenal involvement with sarcoma was found intra-operatively. We discuss the management of this condition in the context of an illustrative case in our recent experience...
- Extra-adrenal composite pheochromocytoma-ganglioneuroma
Cyril A Tohme
Department of General Surgery, Saint Joseph University School of Medicine, Hotel Dieu de France Hospital, Bd Alfred Naccache, Beirut, Lebanon
Saudi Med J 27:1594-7. 2006
- Gastrointestinal stromal tumor of the retroperitoneum: CT and MR findings
Department of Radiology, Showa General Hospital, 2 450 Tenjincho, Kodaira, Tokyo, Japan
Eur Radiol 14:1926-9. 2004
..GIST arising in the retroperitoneum is extremely rare, and its radiological findings have not been well described. We report a case of primary retroperitoneal GIST and discuss its imaging findings...
- Retroperitoneal "Triton" tumor
University Clinical Center, Dr Dragisa Misovic, Belgrade, Serbia
Hepatogastroenterology 55:527-30. 2008
..This case demonstrates the bad prognosis of malignant retroperitoneal tumors. Diagnostic tools such as refined biopsy techniques or cytogenetic analysis might help in differentiating patients who will benefit from radical surgery...
- Multiple endocrine neoplasia type 2A/localized cutaneous lichen amyloidosis associated with malignant pheochromocytoma and ganglioneuroma
Department of Endocrinology and Metabolism, University of Ankara Medical School, Ankara, Turkey
J Endocrinol Invest 28:734-7. 2005
..Mutation analysis of the ret proto-oncogene revealed a missense point mutation at position 634 in exon 11, which gives rise to the substitution of a cysteine codon with a tyrosine residue...
- CT characteristics of primary retroperitoneal neoplasms
Division of Radiology, The Cleveland Clinic Foundation, Cleveland, Ohio 444195, USA
Crit Rev Comput Tomogr 45:247-70. 2004
Primary retroperitoneal neoplasms account for only 0.1-0.2% of all malignancies...
- [Surgery of retroperitoneal sarcomas]
Departement de Chirurgie, Comité Sarcome, Institut Gustave Roussy, 39, rue Camille Desmoulins, 94805 Villejuif Cedex, France
Cancer Radiother 10:41-9. 2006
..The 5-year probability of local control is approximately 50%. The role of adjuvant therapy is evolving and at present should not be used outside the investigational setting...
- Late recurrence of liposarcoma simulating adenoma of the duodenum
F H Wolfhagen
Department of Internal Medicine, Ikazia Hospital, Rotterdam, The Netherlands
Neth J Med 54:231-4. 1999
..The patient had had a completely resected retroperitoneal liposarcoma 8 years before. Liposarcoma recurrence should be highly suspected even in case of atypical presentation and long disease free interval...
- Resection of residual masses alone: an alternative in surgical therapy of metastatic testicular germ cell tumors after chemotherapy
Department of Urology, Hacettepe University School of Medicine, Ankara, Turkey
Urology 57:323-7. 2001
..Thus, removal of the residual mass only may be a beneficial option in postchemotherapy surgery...
- Imaging of retroperitoneal ganglioneuroma
Service Central de Radiologie, CHU Rangueil, 1, avenue Jean Poulhes, 31403 Toulouse, France
Eur Radiol 11:940-5. 2001
- Retroperitoneal ganglioneuroma encasing the celiac and superior mesenteric arteries
Justin K Nelms
Department of Urology, Washington Hospital Center, Washington, DC, USA
ScientificWorldJournal 4:974-7. 2004
..It must be included in the differential diagnosis of posterior mediastinal and retroperitoneal mass. We report a case of retroperitoneal ganglioneuroma involving the celiac axis and superior mesenteric arteries in a 40-year-old female...
- IMRT or conformal radiotherapy for adjuvant treatment of retroperitoneal sarcoma?
Department of Radiation Oncology, Institut Gustave Roussy, Villejuif, France
Radiother Oncol 99:73-8. 2011
- Laparoscopic retroperitoneal lymph node dissection after chemotherapy
Michael A Palese
Department of Surgery, Division of Urology, University of Maryland Medical System, Baltimore, Maryland, USA
Urology 60:130-4. 2002
..To assess the operative feasibility, clinical outcomes, and complications of laparoscopic retroperitoneal lymphadenectomy (RPLND) after chemotherapy...
- [Retroperitoneal ganglioneuroma: a case report]
Domenico Lorenzo Urso
U O di Pronto Soccorso, Ospedale Civile V Cosentino, Cariati
Recenti Prog Med 99:559-60. 2008
..The computed tomography revealed dis-homogeneous abdominal mass. In another hospital, subsequently, a complete surgical resection and histopathologic examination established the diagnosis of ganglioneuroma...
- Ganglioneuroma presenting as an asymptomatic huge posterior mediastinal and retroperitoneal tumor
Chia Yau Chang
Department of Pediatrics, Taipei Veterans General Hospital and National Yang Ming University, Taipei, Taiwan, ROC
J Chin Med Assoc 66:370-4. 2003
..The only thing we can do is to keep the family alert and continue regular follow-up...
- Histology-specific nomogram for primary retroperitoneal soft tissue sarcoma
Unit of Medical Statistics, Biometry and Bioinformatics, National Cancer Institute, Milan, Italy
Cancer 116:2429-36. 2010
..This study was conducted to develop a histology-specific nomogram to predict postoperative overall survival (OS) at 5 and 10 years in primary retroperitoneal soft tissue sarcoma (STS)...
- Benign retroperitoneal schwannoma: a case series and review of the literature
Department of Urology, University of Southern California Keck School of Medicine, Los Angeles, California, USA
Urology 62:993-7. 2003
..To present our experience with four retroperitoneal schwannomas treated by surgical excision and review the current literature. Retroperitoneal schwannomas are rare, benign tumors and infrequently present to the urologist...
- Extra-adrenal myelolipoma in the renal hilum: a case report and review of the literature
Sameer S Talwalkar
Department of Pathology and Laboratory Medicine, University of Louisville, Louisville, KY 40292, USA
Arch Pathol Lab Med 130:1049-52. 2006
..Although primary and secondary malignant retroperitoneal tumors are much more common and aggressive neoplasms, establishing the correct diagnosis has important therapeutic and prognostic implications...
- Retroperitoneal cystic masses: CT, clinical, and pathologic findings and literature review
Dal Mo Yang
Department of Radiology, Gachon Medical School Gil Medical Center, 1198 Guwol dong, Namdong gu, Incheon 405 760, South Korea
Radiographics 24:1353-65. 2004
..The most important clinical parameters include patient gender, age, symptoms, and clinical history. Familiarity with the CT and clinical features of various retroperitoneal cystic masses facilitates accurate diagnosis and treatment...
- Primary retroperitoneal mucinous cystadenocarcinoma in a male patient
T P Thamboo
Department of Pathology, National University of Singapore, Singapore, Republic of Singapore
J Clin Pathol 59:655-7. 2006
..The theory of its origin from the mucinous metaplasia of peritoneal (mesothelial) inclusion cysts, rather than from ectopic ovarian tissue or ovarian teratomas, is supported by the occurrence of such a tumour in a male patient...
- Contiguous organ resection is safe in patients with retroperitoneal sarcoma: An ACS-NSQIP analysis
Warren H Tseng
Division of Surgical Oncology, Department of Surgery, University of California, Davis Medical Center, Sacramento, California, USA
J Surg Oncol 103:390-4. 2011
..We examined rates of 30-day morbidity and mortality following resection of RPS utilizing data from the American College of Surgeons National Surgical Quality Improvement Program (ACS-NSQIP) database...
- Factors associated with actual long-term survival following soft tissue sarcoma pulmonary metastasectomy
Department of Surgical Oncology, Roswell Park Cancer Institute and State University of New York at Buffalo, Buffalo, NY 14263, USA
Eur J Surg Oncol 35:356-61. 2009
..To identify clinicopathologic and treatment variables associated with long-term overall survival (OS) in soft tissue sarcoma (STS) patients with lung metastases undergoing pulmonary metastasectomy (PM)...
- Primary retroperitoneal mucinous cystadenoma with sarcoma-like mural nodule : a case report and review of the literature
R F R Bakker
Department of Surgery, Haga Hospital, Location Red Cross, Sportlaan 600, 2566 MJ The Hague, The Netherlands
Virchows Arch 451:853-7. 2007
..This case demonstrates that in the era of radiological preoperative refinement, pathological diagnosis remains of utmost importance, especially for rare cases...
- Adjuvant radiation therapy for resectable retroperitoneal soft tissue sarcoma: the University of Florida experience
Robert A Zlotecki
Department of Radiation Oncology, University of Florida College of Medicine, Gainesville, Florida 32610 0385, USA
Am J Clin Oncol 28:310-6. 2005
..In the management of retroperitoneal sarcomas it is necessary to achieve local control to ensure survival. The role of adjuvant radiation therapy (RT), either pre- or postoperative, remains controversial...
- Primary retroperitoneal mucinous cystadenoma of borderline malignancy: a case report and review of the literature
Department of Obstetrics and Gynecology, Shinonoi General Hospital, Nagano, Japan
Int J Gynecol Pathol 24:218-23. 2005
..The histologic diagnosis was a primary retroperitoneal mucinous cystic tumor of borderline malignancy, similar to findings for ovarian tumor. There was no evidence of disease 6 months after the surgery...
- Is there a role for incomplete resection in the management of retroperitoneal liposarcomas?
Division of Surgical Oncology, University of Maryland Medical Center, Baltimore, USA
J Am Coll Surg 193:373-9. 2001
..Most likely to benefit are those patients presenting with primary tumors, suggesting that surgical resection should be attempted in the majority of patients...
- Retroperitoneal soft tissue sarcoma: an analysis of radiation and surgical treatment
Matthew T Ballo
Division of Radiation Oncology, The University of Texas M D Anderson Cancer Center, Houston, TX 77030, USA
Int J Radiat Oncol Biol Phys 67:158-63. 2007
..To evaluate the clinical outcomes of patients with localized retroperitoneal soft tissue sarcoma (STS) treated with complete surgical resection and radiation...
- Analysis of 82 cases of retroperitoneal schwannoma
Hepatobiliary Department, Tianjin Medical University Cancer Hospital, Tianjin, China
ANZ J Surg 77:237-40. 2007
..The aim of the study was to improve the diagnosis and treatment of retroperitoneal schwannoma by analysing clinical manifestations and postoperative course of this rare disease...
- Imaging features of retroperitoneal and pelvic schwannomas
M J Hughes
Department of Diagnostic Imaging, Royal Marsden Hospital, London, UK
Clin Radiol 60:886-93. 2005
..To describe the imaging features of retroperitoneal and pelvic schwannomas...
- Primary retroperitoneal mucinous cystadenoma. A case report and brief review of the literature
First Department of Surgery N Anestiadi and Laboratory of Hepato Pancreato Biliary Surgery, Medical University N Testemitsanu, Emergency Municipal Hospital, Kishinev, Republic of Moldova
Zentralbl Chir 128:691-3. 2003
..Clinicopathological features, diagnostic findings, therapeutic options and the outcome are analyzed in this paper having reviewed the cases reported in world literature...
- Retroperitoneal mucinous cystadenocarcinoma: a case report and review of literature
Gynecologic Oncology Unit, Department of Obstetrics and Gynecology, Bangkok Metropolitan Administration Medical College and Vajira Hospital, Samsen Road, Dusit district, Bangkok, Thailand 10300
Int J Gynecol Cancer 12:403-8. 2002
..Prophylactic chemotherapy was also given. The patient was doing well 18 months postoperation. Due to its rarity, the prognosis and optimal treatment cannot be concluded with confidence at this time until more cases are reported...
- Composite paraganglioma-ganglioneuroma in the retroperitoneum
Division of Gastroenterology, Sumitomo Besshi Hospital, 3 1 Ohji cho, Niihama 7928543, Japan
World J Surg Oncol 7:81. 2009
..Paragangliomas occur most commonly in head and neck region and much less frequently, they are found in the retroperitoneum. Composite paraganglioma-ganglioneuroma of the retroperitoneum is very rare...
- Retroperitoneal leiomyosarcoma mimicking acute appendicitis: laparoscopic management
U O Chirugia Generale Ospedale Civile, Vittorio Veneto, TV, Italy
JSLS 7:177-9. 2003
..The vast majority of patients are operated on when tumors are advanced. We report herein a case of RLMS, mimicking acute appendiceal disease and treated successfully via laparoscopy...
- Primary retroperitoneal mucinous cystadenoma in a man
A R Prabhuraj
Department of Surgery, Jawaharlal Institute of Postgraduate Medical Education and Research, Pondicherry, India
Am J Clin Oncol 31:519-20. 2008
- CT characteristics of primary retroperitoneal neoplasms in children
Department of Radiology, Peking University First Hospital, no 8, Xishike Street, Xicheng District, Beijing 100034, China
Eur J Radiol 75:321-8. 2010
Primary retroperitoneal neoplasms are uncommon in children. Retroperitoneal neoplasms are either mesodermal, neurogenic, germ cell ectodermal or lymphatic in origin...
- Predictors of survival after resection of retroperitoneal sarcoma: a population-based analysis and critical appraisal of the AJCC staging system
Department of Surgery, The Johns Hopkins University School of Medicine, Baltimore, MD, USA
Ann Surg 250:970-6. 2009
..To identify predictors of survival after resection of retroperitoneal sarcoma (RPS) and to evaluate the performance of the American Joint Committee on Cancer (AJCC) staging system for RPS...
- Laparoscopic surgery for primary retroperitoneal tumors: a single institution experience of 14 cases
Department of Surgery, Peking University Third Hospital, Beijing, China
Surg Laparosc Endosc Percutan Tech 20:399-403. 2010
..To evaluate the feasibility and outcomes of laparoscopic surgery for primary retroperitoneal tumors (PRTs)...
- The management of retroperitoneal soft tissue sarcoma: a single institution experience with a review of the literature
Department of Surgery, Royal Liverpool University Hospital, Prescot St, Liverpool, L7 8XP, UK
Eur J Surg Oncol 27:491-7. 2001
..This might partly be explained by difficulty in data collection in a retrospective analysis, but may reflect inadequate subspecialization in UK centres...
- Retroperitoneal sarcomas: Combined-modality treatment approaches
Chandrajit P Raut
Department of Surgery, Brigham and Women s Hospital and Dana Farber Cancer Institute, Boston, Massachusetts, USA
J Surg Oncol 94:81-7. 2006
..Investigators are evaluating combined-modality therapies to improve local control and disease-specific survival. This review outlines current concepts and evolving treatment strategies in the diagnosis, staging, and management of RPS...
- Aggressive surgical policies in a retrospectively reviewed single-institution case series of retroperitoneal soft tissue sarcoma patients
Department of Surgery, Biostatistics, Pathology, and Radiotherapy, Fondazione IRCCS Istituto Nazionale Tumori, Milan, Italy
J Clin Oncol 27:24-30. 2009
..To explore whether the adoption of a systematic attempt to perform wider resections may lead to prognostic improvements in retroperitoneal soft tissue sarcoma (RSTS)...
- Operative management of primary retroperitoneal sarcomas: a reappraisal of an institutional experience
Department of Surgery, Mayo Clinic and Mayo Foundation, Rochester, MN 55905, USA
Ann Surg 239:244-50. 2004
..To review our recent experience with primary retroperitoneal sarcomas, determine prognostic factors for disease recurrence and patient survival, and compare them to our previous results...
- Retroperitoneal liposarcoma weighing over one hundred pounds with review of the literature
Olivia J McCallum
Memorial Health University Medical Center, Department of Medical Education in Obstetrics and Gynecology, 4700 Waters Avenue, Savannah, GA 31404, USA
Gynecol Oncol 103:1152-4. 2006
..Rarely, excessively large, slow growing tumors are found to be malignant. One exception includes retroperitoneal tumors, which if considered a mass of pelvic origin, may be encountered by the gynecologic oncologist...
- Image of the month--retroperitoneal schwannoma
Antonio Pio Tortorelli
Department of Surgical Sciences, Digestive Surgery Unit, Catholic University School of Medicine, Largo A Gemelli 8, 00168 Rome, Italy
Arch Surg 141:1259-61. 2006
- Current concepts and future perspectives in retroperitoneal soft-tissue sarcoma management
David M Thomas
Peter MacCallum Cancer Centre, St Andrew s Place East Melbourne Victoria, Australia
Expert Rev Anticancer Ther 9:1145-57. 2009
..Novel targeted therapeutic agents that target specific amplification or translocation products offer promise for subsets of these diseases...
- Case report: Laparoscopic removal of 10-cm retroperitoneal liposarcoma
Department of Urology Medical University of Graz Auenbruggerplatz 7 8036 Graz, Austria
J Endourol 21:83-4. 2007
..Liposarcomas are the second most frequent tumors in the retroperitoneal space and classically present as a large mass with minimal symptoms and a high local recurrence rate. The gold standard of treatment remains surgical excision...
- Postoperative nomogram for survival of patients with retroperitoneal sarcoma treated with curative intent
D A Anaya
Department of Surgery, Baylor College of Medicine, Michael E DeBakey Veterans Affairs Medical Center, Houston, TX, USA
Ann Oncol 21:397-402. 2010
..Our objective was to develop a RPS disease-specific nomogram capable of stratifying patients based on probability of overall survival (OS) after resection...
- Recurrent retroperitoneal sarcoma: impact of biology and therapy on outcomes
Stephen R Grobmyer
Department of Surgery, Division of Surgical Oncology, University of Florida, Gainesville, FL 32610, USA
J Am Coll Surg 210:602-8, 608-10. 2010
..Local recurrence remains the major cause of death in patients with retroperitoneal sarcoma (RPS). There is no consensus regarding management of patients with recurrent RPS...
- Bridging circuit for the resection of retroperitoneal sarcoma involving the aorta and the IVC- veno-venous to veno-arterial perfusion
Department of Perfusion, Westmead Hospital, Sydney, Australia
Perfusion 23:65-9. 2008
- Retroperitoneal soft tissue sarcoma
William M Mendenhall
Department of Radiation Oncology, University of Florida College of Medicine, Gainesville, FL 32610, USA
Cancer 104:669-75. 2005
..Most patients experienced recurrent disease after surgery, and the most common site of failure was local. Adjuvant RT reduced the risk of local recurrence, but its impact on survival was questionable...
- Long-term outcome of combined modality therapy in retroperitoneal and deep-trunk soft-tissue sarcoma: analysis of prognostic factors
Department of Radiation Oncology, Barbara Ann Karmanos Cancer Institute, Wayne State University, Detroit, MI, USA
Int J Radiat Oncol Biol Phys 54:514-9. 2002
..To evaluate the long-term outcome of surgery and postoperative radiotherapy (RT) in retroperitoneal and deep-trunk soft-tissue sarcoma, and to identify the prognostic factors for local control, disease-free survival, and overall survival...
- Compound muscle action potentials and spontaneous electromyography can be used to identify and protect the femoral nerve during resection of large retroperitoneal tumors
Neurophysiological Monitoring Service, University of California San Francisco, 533 Parnassus Avenue, U 491, Box 0220, San Francisco, CA 94143 0112, USA
Ann Surg Oncol 15:1594-9. 2008
Resection of large retroperitoneal neoplasms may injure the femoral nerve, thereby causing a permanent neurological deficit...
- Primary malignant retroperitoneal tumors: analysis of a single institutional experience
J Y An
Department of Surgery, Samsung Medical Center, Sungkyunkwan University School of Medicine, 50 Ilwon Dong, Gangnam Gu, Seoul 135 710, Republic of Korea
Eur J Surg Oncol 33:376-82. 2007
..In order to achieve complete resection in the surgical management of retroperitoneal tumors, it is crucial to know the tumor's anatomical location relative to neighboring organs...
- Vascular reconstruction with the superficial femoral vein following major oncologic resection
Department of Surgery, Division of Surgical Oncology, University of Calgary, Calgary, Alberta, Canada
J Surg Oncol 96:151-9. 2007
..This study describes outcomes following radical oncologic resection with concomitant resection of critical vascular structures and reconstruction with the superficial femoral vein (SFV)...
- Management of retroperitoneal sarcomas
Matthew T Hueman
The Johns Hopkins University School of Medicine, Baltimore, MD 21287, USA
Surg Clin North Am 88:583-97, vii. 2008
..Optimizing disease control while minimizing the morbidity of therapy remains the primary goal of management. In this article, the authors describe the presentation, evaluation, and management of patients who have retroperitoneal sarcoma...
- Surgical management of primary retroperitoneal sarcoma
D C Strauss
Melanoma Sarcoma Unit, Department of Surgery, Royal Marsden Hospital NHS Foundation Trust, London, UK
Br J Surg 97:698-706. 2010
..Local recurrence after surgical resection is the main cause of disease-related mortality in patients with primary retroperitoneal sarcoma (RPS). This study analysed predictors of local recurrence and disease-specific survival...
- Intensity modulated radiation-therapy for preoperative posterior abdominal wall irradiation of retroperitoneal liposarcomas
Department of Radiation Oncology, University Hospitals Gasthuisberg, Leuven, Belgium
Int J Radiat Oncol Biol Phys 67:164-70. 2007
..The purpose of this study is to evaluate a new strategy of preop RT for RPLS in which the target volume is limited to the contact area between the tumoral mass and the posterior abdominal wall...
- Acrokeratosis paraneoplastica (Bazex's syndrome): association with liposarcoma
Paul Gunther Sator
Department of Dermatology, Municipal Hospital Lainz, Vienna, Austria
J Am Acad Dermatol 55:1103-5. 2006
..We, therefore, add liposarcoma to the growing list of malignant neoplasms associated with acrokeratosis paraneoplastica...
- Retroperitoneal schwannoma: case series and literature review
Clinics (Sao Paulo) 62:359-62. 2007
- Complications associated with neoadjuvant radiotherapy in the multidisciplinary treatment of retroperitoneal sarcomas
Abigail S Caudle
Department of Surgery, Division of Surgical Oncology, University of North Carolina School of Medicine, 3010 Old Clinic Building, CB 7213, Chapel Hill, NC 27599, USA
Ann Surg Oncol 14:577-82. 2007
..Preoperative RT offers theoretical advantages in the multidisciplinary care of RPS. The purpose of our study was to evaluate our experience using preoperative radiotherapy (PRT) in the treatment of RPS...
- The role of surgical margin status in retroperitoneal sarcoma
Daniel A Anaya
Department of Surgical Oncology, The University of Texas MD Anderson Cancer Center, Houston, Texas 77030, USA
J Surg Oncol 98:607-10. 2008
..The purpose of this review is to define complete resection as it applies to RPS and evaluate its effect on future outcomes in these patients...
- Schwannoma in the retroperitoneum
Jae Yen Song
Department of Obstetrics and Gynecology, College of Medicine, Catholic University of Korea, Seoul, Korea
J Obstet Gynaecol Res 33:371-5. 2007
..A schwannoma on the retroperitoneum that was preoperatively misdiagnosed as a malignant adnexal mass in a 60-year-old menopausal woman is presented, with a brief review of the literature...
- Retroperitoneal mucinous cystadenocarcinoma in a man: case report and review of the literature
Justin M Green
Division of Urology, Department of Surgery, University of Texas Medical Branch, Galveston, TX 77555, USA
Urol Oncol 25:53-5. 2007
..Prior reports suggest that this type of tumor has an aggressive clinical course, and surgical excision is the treatment of choice. These rare tumors need to be included in the differential of retroperitoneal cystic tumors...
- Primary retroperitoneal mucinous cystadenocarcinoma: report of two cases
David Cantú de León
Department of Gynecologic Oncology, Instituto Nacional de Cancerología de México INCan, Mexico City, Mexico
World J Surg Oncol 5:5. 2007
..Retroperitoneal cystadenocarcinomas are rare lesions, the majority of cases presented as one-patient reports...
- Retroperitoneal sarcomas in children: outcomes from an institution
Tuan H Pham
Division of General and Gastroenterological Surgery, Department of Surgery, Mayo Clinic, Rochester, MN 55905, USA
J Pediatr Surg 42:829-33. 2007
..Surgical control of these tumors remains to be a management challenge. We reviewed our institutional experience with retroperitoneal sarcomas in children...
- An unusual case of glandular schwannoma
Shang Tian Chuang
Lauren V Ackerman Laboratory of Surgical Pathology, Department of Pathology and Immunology, Washington University School of Medicine, St Louis, MO 63110, USA
Hum Pathol 38:673-7. 2007
..To the best of our knowledge, the biologic behavior for such a lesion is unknown because similar cases have not yet been described in the literature...
- Malignant paraganglioma of the retroperitoneum with lung metastases: a 13-year survivor after radical surgery
Research Institute for Life Extension and Department of Surgery, Eiju General Hospital, Tokyo, and Department of Pathology, Fujita Health University School of Medicine, Aichi, Japan
Asian J Surg 30:75-9. 2007
..These tumours are usually large and located in the para-aortic region, and hence resection is sometimes challenging. We believe that a complete and meticulous surgical procedure is a prerequisite for long survival from this rare disease...
- [Weekly paclitaxel therapy is curative for patients with retroperitoneal liposarcoma]
Dept of Surgery, Kumamoto Rosai Hospital
Gan To Kagaku Ryoho 34:465-7. 2007
..We performed weekly paclitaxel therapy for the patient with recurrent liposarcoma. This improved her symptoms and quality of life (QOL). Therefore,we consider weekly paclitaxel therapy to be effective for liposarcoma treatment...
- Primary extragonadal retroperitoneal teratoma in an adult
Department of Radiology, Government Medical College, Nagpur, 440003, India
Br J Radiol 79:e120-2. 2006
..Radiological work-up disclosed a retroperitoneal teratoma. Laparotomy with tumour resection was performed. Pathological examination revealed a benign cystic teratoma. The patient is doing well at follow-up...
- Radiation therapy for retroperitoneal sarcoma
Ching Wei D Tzeng
Surgical Oncology Research Fellow, Department of Surgery, University of Alabama Birmingham, Birmingham, AL, USA
Expert Rev Anticancer Ther 6:1251-60. 2006
- Retroperitoneal schwannoma mimicking an adrenal lesion
Sameer K Sharma
Department of Urology, Loyola University Medical Center, 2160 S First Avenue, Building 54, Maywood, IL 60153, USA
World J Urol 20:232-3. 2002
..The available literature on retroperitoneal schwannomas is then discussed...
- Retroperitoneal soft tissue sarcomas: patterns of recurrence in 167 patients treated at a single institution
Department of Surgery, Istituto Nazionale per lo Studio e la Cura dei Tumori, Milano, Italy
Cancer 100:2448-55. 2004
..Several series of patients with retroperitoneal sarcoma were reported, providing widely variable data regarding local and distant failure...
- [Giant retroperitoneal liposarcoma]
Hospital Donostia, Departamento de Cirugia, Universidad del Pais Vasco, San Sebastian, Spain
Cir Esp 77:293-5. 2005
..We present a case of giant right retroperitoneal liposarcoma, which was well-encapsulated and could be completely excised. The patient is currently in follow up and at 2 years is disease-free...
- Paraneoplastic syndromes in cancer: Case 2. Leucocytosis associated with liposarcoma recurrence: original presentation of liposarcoma recurrence
Gaetan des Guetz
Hopital Avicenne, Bobigny, France
J Clin Oncol 22:2242-3. 2004
- Retroperitoneal primary mucinous adenocarcinoma with a mural nodule of anaplastic tumor: a case report and literature review
Department of Obstetrics and Gynecology, National Saitama Hospital, Wako, Saitama, Japan
Int J Gynecol Pathol 22:205-8. 2003
..This present case is the 21st example of a retroperitoneal primary mucinous cystadenocarcinoma and the fourth with a mural nodule. Three of four cases with a mural nodule, including our case, had a rapidly fatal outcome...
- Retroperitoneal well-differentiated inflammatory liposarcoma: a diagnostic dilemma
Department of Clinical Radiology, Graduate School of Medical Sciences, Kyushu University, 3 1 1 Maidashi, Higashi ku, Fukuoka, 812 8582, Japan
Radiat Med 26:450-3. 2008
..In this entity, a lipomatous component could easily be missed on radiologic imaging because of the conspicuity of lymphoid infiltration. We should consider the possibility of this variant when we evaluate a retroperitoneal tumor...
- Peripheral nerve schwannoma: two cases exhibiting increased FDG uptake in early and delayed PET imaging
Department of Nuclear Medicine and Tracer Kintetics, Osaka University Graduate School of Medicine, Suita, Osaka, Japan
Skeletal Radiol 34:52-7. 2005
..Although the mechanism responsible for the increased FDG uptake in benign schwannomas remains unknown, we discuss our findings in the context of tumor cellularity and briefly review other studies on the subject...
- Paragangliomas-- a decade of clinical experience
Department of Surgery, West Virginia University School of Medicine, Morgantown, West Virginia, USA
J Surg Oncol 74:286-90. 2000
..This study is a review of 14 patients with paragangliomas between 1986 and 1996. The purpose was to determine the sites of origin, clinical manifestations and analyze the benefits of different treatment modalities...
- Surgical management of primary and recurrent retroperitoneal liposarcoma
S J Neuhaus
Melanoma Sarcoma Unit, The Royal Marsden Hospital NHS Trust, Fulham Road, London SW3 6JJ, UK
Br J Surg 92:246-52. 2005
..Surgery plays a dominant role in the initial and subsequent treatment of retroperitoneal liposarcoma (RPLS). This study was a review of outcomes of patients treated at the Royal Marsden Hospital...
- Primary retroperitoneal neoplasms: CT and MR imaging findings with anatomic and pathologic diagnostic clues
Department of Radiology, Kyoto City Hospital, 1 2 Higashi Takada cho, Mibu, Nakagyo ku, Kyoto 604 8845, Japan
Radiographics 23:45-57. 2003
Primary retroperitoneal neoplasms are a rare but diverse group of benign and malignant tumors that arise within the retroperitoneal space but outside the major organs in this space...