Genomes and Genes
multiple primary neoplasms
Summary: Two or more abnormal growths of tissue occurring simultaneously. The neoplasms are histologically different and may be found in the same or different sites.
Articles from Journal RESEARCH
Articles from Journal RESEARCH1
Publications226 found, 100 shown here
- Malignant thymoma in the United States: demographic patterns in incidence and associations with subsequent malignanciesEric A Engels
Viral Epidemiology Branch, Division of Cancer Epidemiology and Genetics, National Cancer Institute, Department of Health and Human Services, Rockville, MD 20892, USA
Int J Cancer 105:546-51. 2003..The peak in late adulthood deserves further study. Variation in incidence by race suggests a role for genetic factors. Our study did not demonstrate broadly increased risk for malignancies following thymoma...
- The role of MLH1, MSH2 and MSH6 in the development of multiple colorectal cancersD A Lawes
Department of Surgery, Royal Free and University College London, UK
Br J Cancer 93:472-7. 2005..We suggest that, although MSI-H is more commonly identified in those with multiple colorectal cancers, this does not commonly arise from a classical HNPCC pathway...
- Concordance of allelic imbalance profiles in synchronous and metachronous bilateral breast carcinomasEvgeny N Imyanitov
N N Petrov Institute of Oncology, St Petersburg, Russia
Int J Cancer 100:557-64. 2002..014). Overall, our data suggest that sharing natural histories of the disease, which is more evident in synchronous and/or premenopausal forms of biBC, may result in a similarity of molecular portraits in bilateral breast tumors...
- Bladder cancer after managing upper urinary tract transitional cell carcinoma: predictive factors and pathologyJay D Raman
Department of Urology, The New York Presbyterian Hospital, Weill Medical College of Cornell University, 525 East 68th Street, New York, NY 10021, USA
BJU Int 96:1031-5. 2005..To evaluate patients with a history of transitional cell carcinoma (TCC) of the upper urinary tract (UUT) to determine the incidence, pathological distribution, and risk factors for developing subsequent bladder tumours...
- Multiple primary malignant tumors in a national cancer registry--reliability of reportingJ E Frodin
Dept of Oncology Radiumhemmet, Karolinska Hospital, Stockholm, Sweden
Acta Oncol 36:465-9. 1997..The Swedish Cancer Registry, to which all newly diagnosed malignancies by law have to be reported, comprise today close to one million individuals with registered malignancies...
- Melanoma and nonmelanoma skin cancer in patients with multiple tumours--evidence for new syndromes in a population-based studyK Nielsen
Department of Dermatology, University Hospital, S 221 85 Lund, Sweden
Br J Dermatol 150:531-6. 2004..g. nonmelanoma skin cancer (NMSC), were studied descriptively. So far the mutation 113insArg explains all CDKN2A-associated CMM in ethnic Swedes...
- Clonal analysis of bilateral mammary carcinomas by clinical evaluation and partial allelotypingGary M Tse
Department of Anatomical and Cellular Pathology, Prince of Wales Hospital, Chinese University of Hong Kong, Shatin, Hong Kong, People s Republic of China
Am J Clin Pathol 120:168-74. 2003..No discrepant results were noted. Stringent application of clinical criteria is accurate for differentiating second primary tumors from metastases...
- Multiple primary neoplasms at a single institution: differences between synchronous and metachronous neoplasmsA Aydiner
Department of Medical Oncology, Institute of Oncology, University of Istanbul, Turkey
Am J Clin Oncol 23:364-70. 2000..Localization in the medial region and in the head/neck was more frequent in the synchronous group than in the case of metachronous secondary tumors...
- Bilateral testicular germ cell tumors: twenty-year experience at M. D. Anderson Cancer CenterMingxin Che
Department of Pathology, The University of Texas M D Anderson Cancer Center, Houston 77030, USA
Cancer 95:1228-33. 2002..D. Anderson Cancer Center over a 20-year period with emphasis on their incidence, histologic features, and clinical features...
- Photodynamic therapy of early squamous cell carcinomas of the esophagus: a review of 31 casesJ F Savary
Dept of Otolaryngology, Head and Neck Surgery, CHUV Hospital, Lausanne, Switzerland
Endoscopy 30:258-65. 1998....
- Epidemiology of contralateral breast cancerY Chen
Department of Epidemiology and Community Medicine, Faculty of Medicine, University of Ottawa, Ontario, Canada
Cancer Epidemiol Biomarkers Prev 8:855-61. 1999..Additional analytical studies addressing all potential risk factors associated with the development of contralateral breast cancer are necessary in view of the increasing incidence and survival of women with a first primary...
- Contralateral breast cancer: molecular differentiation between metastasis and second primary cancerE Janschek
Department of Surgery, University of Vienna, Austria
Breast Cancer Res Treat 67:1-8. 2001..We could also demonstrate that contralateral breast cancer spread does occur. Standard pathological assessment allowed a firm diagnosis only in the presence of different histological types...
- Drastic genetic instability of tumors and normal tissues in Turcot syndromeM Miyaki
Department of Biochemistry, The Tokyo Metropolitan Institute of Medical Science, Japan
Oncogene 15:2877-81. 1997..Additional unknown germline mutation may contribute to the genetic instability in normal tissues...
- Four synchronous female genital malignancies: the ovary, cervix, endometrium and fallopian tubeArzu Saglam
Department of Pathology, Hacettepe University School of Medicine, Ankara, Turkey
Arch Gynecol Obstet 277:557-62. 2008..To present a unique case of a 63 year-old woman with coexistent adenocarcinoma of the ovary, endometrium, cervix and fallopian tube...
- Increasing the diagnosis of multifocal primary breast cancer by the use of bilateral whole-breast ultrasoundL S Wilkinson
South West London Breast Screening Service, University College, London, UK
Clin Radiol 60:573-8. 2005..The aim of this study was to evaluate the contribution of bilateral whole-breast ultrasound (BBUS) to the diagnosis and management of women with newly diagnosed breast cancer...
- Clonality of multifocal urothelial carcinomas: 10 years of molecular genetic studiesChristian Hafner
Institute of Pathology, University of Regensburg, Germany
Int J Cancer 101:1-6. 2002..Investigation of the entire urothelial lining in patients with urothelial tumors should provide further insight into the development of multifocal urothelial carcinomas...
- Characteristics of synchronous- and metachronous-type multiple primary neoplasms: a study of hospital-based cancer registry in TurkeySevil Kilciksiz
Department of Radiation Oncology, Gaziantep University, Medical School, Gaziantep, Turkey
Clin Genitourin Cancer 5:438-45. 2007The aim of this study was to evaluate the demographic, histologic, and topographic characteristics, and the association of synchronous and metachronous multiple primary neoplasms.
- Morphological types of breast cancer in family members and multiple primary tumours: is morphology genetically determined?Kari Hemminki
Department of Biosciences at Novum, Karolinska Institute, Huddinge, Sweden
Breast Cancer Res 4:R7. 2002..We conducted the present study to determine whether breast cancer morphology is genetically determined...
- Synchronous colorectal adenocarcinoma and gastrointestinal stromal tumor (GIST)Marcovalerio Melis
Department of Surgery, University of Chicago Hospitals, 5841 S Maryland Avenue, Chicago, IL 60637, USA
Int J Colorectal Dis 22:109-14. 2007..We present two cases of an invasive colon cancer with a synchronous small-bowel GIST; immunohistochemistry studies were performed to evaluate possible genetic similarities...
- Women with multiple primary breast cancers diagnosed within a five year period, 1994-1998Holly L Howe
North American Association of Central Cancer Registries, 2121 W White Oaks Dr, Springfield, IL, 62704 6495, USA
Breast Cancer Res Treat 90:223-32. 2005..The 1994-1998 NAACCR dataset aggregated from high quality registries representing more than one-third of the US population provides a unique opportunity to examine the incidence of multiple primary breast cancers in a large population...
- [Dual tumours in the GI tract: synchronous and metachronous stromal (GIST) and epithelial/neuroendocrine neoplasms]Erika Kövér
Baranya Megyei Kórház, Pecs 7623, Hungary
Magy Onkol 48:315-21. 2004....
- Simultaneously detected endometrial and ovarian carcinomas--a prospective clinicopathologic study of 74 cases: a gynecologic oncology group studyR Zaino
Department of Pathology, Milton S. Hershey Medical Center of Pennsylvania State University, Hershey, Pennsylvania 17033, USA
Gynecol Oncol 83:355-62. 2001....
- Multicentricity of breast cancer: whole-organ analysis and clinical implicationsJ S Vaidya
Department of Surgical Oncology, Tata Memorial Hospital, Bombay, India
Br J Cancer 74:820-4. 1996..Our finding, that in half the patients (15/30) MCF are present in quadrants other than the index quadrant, suggests that MCF do not give rise to early breast recurrence...
- Prognostic significance of bladder tumor history and tumor location in upper tract transitional cell carcinomaBulent Akdogan
Department of Urology, Hacettepe University, School of Medicine, Ankara 06700, Turkey
J Urol 176:48-52. 2006..We studied prognostic factors for 5-year disease specific and recurrence-free survival in patients treated for upper urinary tract transitional cell carcinoma...
- Glutathione S-transferase M1 or T1 null genotype as a risk factor for developing multiple primary neoplasms in the upper aero-digestive tract, in Indian males using tobaccoSameer Jhavar
Department of Radiation Oncology, Tata Memorial Hospital, Parel, Mumbai, India
Oral Oncol 40:84-91. 2004..Indian male tobacco users with upper aero-digestive tract (UADT) squamous carcinoma, 30 patients with multiple primary neoplasms (MPN) were compared with 28 age and sex matched patients with a single primary neoplasm (SPN) for ..
- Microsatellite instability of cancers and concomitant adenomas in synchronous multiple colorectal cancer patientsE Ueda
Dept of Surgical Oncology, Graduate School of Medicine, The University of Tokyo, Japan
J Exp Clin Cancer Res 21:149-54. 2002....
- Simultaneous laparoscopic management of 3 urological malignanciesDonna Y Deng
Department of Urology, University of California School of Medicine, San Francisco, California, USA
J Urol 167:2125-6. 2002
- Multiple primary tumours of the parotid glandG Y Yu
Center for Salivary Gland Diseases, Peking University School of Stomatology, Beijing 100081, China
Int J Oral Maxillofac Surg 33:531-4. 2004..B-mode ultrasound is the technique of choice for the screening of MPT. Meticulous intraoperative inspection and palpation of the glandular tissues and periglandular lymph nodes are necessary...
- A 10-year review of primary fallopian tube cancer at a community hospital: a high association of synchronous and metachronous cancersM F Benoit
Division of Gynecologic Oncology, Department of Obstetrics and Gynecology, The University of Texas Medical Branch, 301 University Boulevard, Route 0587, Galveston, TX 77555, USA
Int J Gynecol Cancer 16:29-35. 2006..The median follow-up was 38 months. This report details the diagnostic and therapeutic experience of patients with PFTC and describes the occurrence of synchronous and metachronous gynecological cancers...
- On the origin of syn- and metachronous urothelial carcinomasMattias Hoglund
Department of Clinical Genetics, Lund University Hospital, Lund SE 221 85, Sweden
Eur Urol 51:1185-93; discussion 1193. 2007..To evaluate existing models for the origin of meta- and synchronous urothelial carcinomas in light of the accumulated genetic data...
- Multifocal, multicentric, and contralateral breast cancers: bilateral whole-breast US in the preoperative evaluation of patientsWoo Kyung Moon
Department of Radiology, Clinical Research Institute, Seoul National University Hospital and the Institute of Radiation Medicine, Seoul National University Medical Research Center, 28 Yongon Dong, Chongno Gu, Seoul 110 744, Korea
Radiology 224:569-76. 2002..To evaluate the efficacy of preoperative bilateral whole-breast ultrasonography (US) in the detection of additional multifocal, multicentric, and contralateral cancers and the effect of US information on therapeutic decisions...
- [Synchronous diagnosis of small-cell lung cancer and Hodgkin lymphoma]A S Rubiales
An Med Interna 23:301-2. 2006
- Clinical analysis of synchronous primary neoplasms of the female reproductive tractSeo Yun Tong
Division of Gynecologic Oncology, Department of Obstetrics and Gynecology, The Catholic University of Korea, 505 Banpo Dong, Seocho Gu, Kangnam St Mary s Hospital, Seoul 137 040, Republic of Korea
Eur J Obstet Gynecol Reprod Biol 136:78-82. 2008..In this study, a histopathologic review of synchronous primary neoplasms including gynecologic malignancies is presented, and the possible correlation among discrete tumor subsets, natural history, and survival is evaluated...
- Breast cancer in an MSH2 gene mutation carrierPieter J Westenend
Laboratory for Pathology Dordrecht, 3317 NL Dordrecht, The Netherlands
Hum Pathol 36:1322-6. 2005..We tested the tumor for loss of heterozygosity of the MSH2 gene and found loss of the wild-type MSH2 allele. These data strongly suggest that the MSH2 gene was involved in the development of this breast tumor...
- Synchronous benign and malignant salivary gland tumors in ipsilateral glands: a report of two cases and a review of literatureJonathan L Curry
Department of Pathology, Loyola University Medical Center, Loyola University Medical Center, 2160 S First Avenue, Maywood, Illinois 60153, USA
Head Neck 24:301-6. 2002..3% of all salivary gland neoplasms. Only nine cases of synchronous benign and malignant ipsilateral parotid gland tumors have been described in the literature...
- Cystadenocarcinoma of the appendix: an incidental imaging finding in a patient with adenocarcinomas of the ascending and the sigmoid colonMichail Pitiakoudis
2nd Department of Surgery, Medical School, Democritus University of Thrace, Alexandroupolis
BMC Gastroenterol 3:30. 2003..Primary adenocarcinomas of the appendix are uncommon. Mucoceles that result from mucinous adenocarcinomas of the appendix may be incidentally detected on imaging...
- Prognostic significance of synchronous and metachronous bilateral breast cancerJ Kollias
Professorial Unit of Surgery, City Hospital, Hucknall Road, Nottingham NG5 1PB, UK
World J Surg 25:1117-24. 2001..However, the time duration to metachronous contralateral breast cancer did not have prognostic significance in a multivariate model compared with the prognostic features of the original primary...
- Familial bilateral acinic cell carcinoma of the parotid synchronous with pituitary adenoma: case reportAlexander Delides
Department of Otolaryngology, Athens Medical Center, Distomou 5 7, Marousi, 151 25 Athens, Greece
Head Neck 27:825-8. 2005..Acinic cell carcinoma is a common neoplasm of the salivary glands that occurs predominately in the parotid. Only one case of a familial recurrence of such a neoplasm and 16 cases of bilateral tumors have been reported...
- Incidence of multiple primary cancers in a cohort of women diagnosed with breast cancer in southeast EnglandH S Evans
Thames Cancer Registry, Division of Oncology, Guy s, King s and St Thomas School of Medicine, Kings College, London, UK
Br J Cancer 84:435-40. 2001..Some of these associations are consistent with the effects of known inherited cancer susceptibility genes, shared environmental factors, or therapy...
- Risk factors for synchronous primary endometrial and ovarian cancersL J Herrinton
Division of Research, Kaiser Permanente, Oakland, CA 94611, USA
Ann Epidemiol 11:529-33. 2001..CONCLUSIONS: Though limited by relatively small numbers, our results suggest that the presence of some common etiologies is a basis for the unusually high co-occurrence of endometrial and ovarian cancers...
- Multiple synchronous and metachronous neoplasms of the parotid gland: the Chichester experienceM Ethunandan
Maxillofacial Unit, St Richard s Hospital, Chichester, West Sussex, UK
Br J Oral Maxillofac Surg 44:397-401. 2006..Ipsilateral tumours of differing histological types and identical tumours other than Wartin's were uncommon. All but one patient had superficial parotidectomies and there were no recurrences...
- Profile of women 45 years of age and younger with endometrial cancerE R Evans-Metcalf
Department of Obstetrics and Gynecology, University of Massachusetts Medical Center, Worcester 01655, USA
Obstet Gynecol 91:349-54. 1998..The clinical characteristics and outcomes of endometrial cancer patients 45 years of age and younger were compared with those of patients older than 45 years of age...
- Four percent of patients undergoing colorectal cancer surgery may have synchronous appendiceal neoplasiaMuhammad Najm Khan
Department of Colorectal Surgery, North Hampshire Hospital NHS Trust, Basingstoke, RG24 9NA, United Kingdom
Dis Colon Rectum 50:1856-9. 2007..A special interest of the senior author in appendiceal and rectal cancer has prompted routine removal of the appendix in all cases undergoing surgery for colorectal cancer...
- Synchronous primary adenocarcinoma and gastrointestinal stromal tumor in the stomach: a report of two casesSema Bircan
Department of Pathology, School of Medicine, Suleyman Demirel University, Isparta, Turkey
Turk J Gastroenterol 15:187-91. 2004..In this article, we report two cases of synchronous development of stromal tumor and adenocarcinoma incidentally detected in the stomach in two elderly patients...
- Germline truncating mutations in both MSH2 and BRCA2 in a single kindredI Thiffault
Program in Cancer Genetics, Department of Oncology and Human Genetics, McGill University, Montreal, Quebec, Canada
Br J Cancer 90:483-91. 2004..Additionally, two double heterozygotes did not appear to have a different phenotype than would be expected from the presence of a mutation in each gene alone...
- Fine-needle aspiration cytology of splenic hamartomaSheng Huang Lee
Department of Pathology, Taipei Municipal Ho Ping Hospital, Taipei, Taiwan
Diagn Cytopathol 28:82-5. 2003..A combination of cytologic features and immunopathologic results from the aspirate cytoblock along with the salient clinical information should enable an accurate preoperative diagnosis of splenic hamartoma...
- Risk of second cancer among women with breast cancerLene Mellemkjaer
Institute of Cancer Epidemiology, Danish Cancer Society, Copenhagen, Denmark
Int J Cancer 118:2285-92. 2006....
- Acute cholecystitis as a presentation of metastatic breast carcinoma of the gallbladder: a case reportBenedetta Boari
J Am Geriatr Soc 53:2041-3. 2005
- BRAF as a melanoma susceptibility candidate gene?Karine Laud
Service de Genetique, Institut Gustave Roussy, 94800 Villejuif, Cedex, France
Cancer Res 63:3061-5. 2003..Moreover, there was no significant difference in the frequency of heterozygotes for BRAF variants between melanoma cases and controls when they were compared. Our data suggest that BRAF is unlikely to be a melanoma susceptibility gene...
- Occurrence of other malignancies in patients with gastrointestinal stromal tumorsAbbas Agaimy
Institute of Pathology, Nuremberg Clinic Center, Nuremberg, Germany
Semin Diagn Pathol 23:120-9. 2006..The potential nonrandom association and causal relationship between GIST and other neoplasms remain to be investigated...
- Importance of extensive staging in patients with mucosa-associated lymphoid tissue (MALT)-type lymphomaM Raderer
Department of Internal Medicine I, University of Vienna, Austria
Br J Cancer 83:454-7. 2000..In addition, our data suggest that extra-gastrointestinal MALT-type lymphoma more frequently occurs simultaneously at different anatomic sites than MALT-type lymphoma involving the GI-tract...
- "Seedling" mesenchymal tumors (gastrointestinal stromal tumors and leiomyomas) are common incidental tumors of the esophagogastric junctionSusan C Abraham
Division of Anatomic Pathology, Department of Pathology, Mayo Clinic, Rochester, MN 55905, USA
Am J Surg Pathol 31:1629-35. 2007..The common occurrence of microscopic GISTs compared with the rarity of clinically manifest and malignant esophagogastric GISTs suggests that additional genetic or epigenetic alterations must happen for neoplastic progression...
- Gastrointestinal stromal tumours in a single institute: is there an association to other gastrointestinal malignancies?Katalin Kalmar
Department of Surgery, University of Pecs, Hungary
Magy Seb 57:251-6. 2004..05). Significantly more synchronous or metachronous gastrointestinal malignancies were found is this population of GIST patients, when compared to the prevalence of malignancies in normal Hungarian population (p<0.001)...
- Ganglioneuromatous polyposis associated with juvenile polyps and a tubular adenomaShazia Rafiq
Department of Pathology, State University of New York at Buffalo, VA Western New York Healthcare System, Buffalo, New York 14215, USA
Dig Dis Sci 50:506-8. 2005
- Hybrid carcinomas of the salivary glands: report of nine cases with a clinicopathologic, immunohistochemical, and p53 gene alteration analysisToshitaka Nagao
Department of Surgical Pathology, Tokyo Medical University Hospital, Tokyo, Japan
Mod Pathol 15:724-33. 2002..Therefore, there is the possibility that such molecular-genetic events take an integral part for inducing the transformation from histologically lower to higher grade tumor during the hybrid carcinoma genesis of the salivary glands...
- Breast plasmacytomaO Lamy
Service de Medecine Interne A, Department of Internal Medicine, University Hospital, Lausanne, Switzerland
Leuk Lymphoma 37:611-5. 2000..Breast plasmacytoma is exceedingly rare. We identified 37 cases published between 1928 and 1999, and reviewed the clinical features of this unusual presentation of plasmacytoma...
- Hepatoid malignancy of unknown origin--a diagnostic conundrum: review of literature and case report of collision with adenocarcinomaRaja Gopaldas
Department of Surgery, Easton Hospital, 250 South 21st Street, Easton, PA 18042, USA
Surg Oncol 14:11-25. 2005....
- Familial/bilateral and sporadic testicular germ cell tumors show frequent genetic changes at loci with suggestive linkage evidenceR I Skotheim
Department of Genetics, Institute for Cancer Research, The Norwegian Radium Hospital, Montebello, Oslo N-0310, Norway
Neoplasia 3:196-203. 2001....
- Synchronous primary adenocarcinoma, mucosa-associated lymphoid tissue lymphoma and a stromal tumor in a Helicobacter pylori-infected stomachArthur Kaffes
Department of Gastroenterology, The University of Sydney, Concord Hospital, New South Wales, Australia
J Gastroenterol Hepatol 17:1033-6. 2002..Gastrointestinal stromal cell tumors have not been associated with infection to date. This appears to be the first report of the synchronous occurrence of these three gastric tumors...
- Clinical characteristics of metachronous bilateral testicular tumors in the chemotherapeutic eraD S Park
Department of Urology, Pundang CHA Hospital, Pochon CHA University, Sungnam, Korea
Yonsei Med J 40:137-43. 1999..Close follow-up of the contralateral testis with ultrasonography is essential for early detection of second tumors. The outcome for patients with bilateral testicular germ cell cancer is excellent, secondary to early detection...
- Defective mismatch-repair in patients with multiple primary tumours including colorectal cancerK Ericson
Department of Oncology, University Hospital, 221 85 Lund, Sweden
Eur J Cancer 39:240-8. 2003..We conclude that the development of multiple primary tumours, including synchronous or metachronous colorectal cancers, is associated with an increased frequency of MSI and loss of immunohistochemical expression of MLH1 and MSH2...
- The CDKN2A tumour suppressor gene: no mutations detected in patients with melanoma and additional unrelated cancersJ P Alao
Catherine Griffiths Cancer Research Laboratory, Melanoma Unit, Hammersmith Hospitals NHS Trust, Charing Cross Hospital, London, UK
Melanoma Res 12:559-63. 2002..However, it would appear that melanoma and additional, apparently unrelated, cancers developing in the same individual are likely to be related to a combination of low-risk susceptibility genes and environmental factors...
- [Synchronous chromophobe renal carcinoma and centrocytic lymphoma]Antonio Javier Márquez Moreno
Servicios de Radiodiagnóstico, Hospital Clinico Universitario, Malaga, Espana
Arch Esp Urol 56:415-7. 2003....
- [Multiple primary cancers with different localizations and histologic types. Clinical case]Emilia Tabacu
Institutul de Pneumologie Marius Nasta, Bucuresti
Pneumologia 52:51-3. 2003..For both cerebral and renal tumors the patient was given a surgical treatment and for the Hodgkin's disease and lung cancer given chemotherapy and cobalt therapy...
- Intercalated duct hyperplasia: possible relationship to epithelial-myoepithelial carcinoma and hybrid tumours of salivary glandR Chetty
Division of Anatomical Pathology, University of Natal School of Pathology and Laboratory Medicine, Durban, South Africa
Histopathology 37:260-3. 2000....
- [Surgical treatment and prognosis of synchronous double primary lung cancer: a report of 31 cases]Fei Yue Feng
Department of Thoracic Surgery, Cancer Hospital Institute, Chinese Academy of Medical Sciences and Peking Union Medical College, Beijing, 100021, P R China
Ai Zheng 24:215-8. 2005..This study was to investigate effective surgical treatment, and prognosis of synchronous DPLC...
- Treatment of double carcinoma of the esophagus and lungHiromichi Ishii
Division of Esophageal Surgery, Shizuoka Cancer Center, Shimonagakubo 1007, Nagaizumichou, Sunto gun, Shizuoka, 411 8777, Japan
Gen Thorac Cardiovasc Surg 56:126-30. 2008..A two-stage operation is considered a suitably safe surgical procedure because no fatal postoperative complications occurred in cases 3 and 4...
- Tumor-to-tumor metastasis: report of 2 cases of metastatic carcinoma to angiomyolipoma of the kidneyReva Ricketts
Department of Pathology, University of Texas M D Anderson Cancer Center, Houston, TX 77030, USA
Arch Pathol Lab Med 132:1016-20. 2008..An awareness of this phenomenon is important to avoid an incorrect diagnosis when encountering unusual morphologic features in renal angiomyolipoma...
- Chronic arsenic poisoning: a global health issue -- a report of multiple primary cancersR R Walvekar
Department of Head and Neck Surgery, Tata Memorial Hospital, Parel, Mumbai, India
J Cutan Pathol 34:203-6. 2007..A case presenting with multiple cutaneous cancers as well as an internal lung primary in a patient exposed to toxic levels of As in the drinking water is discussed along with a review of literature...
- [Loss of differentiation of a prostate adenocarcinoma after hormone therapy: the example of a metastasis in the spongy body of the penis]J Uphoff
Klinik für Urologie und Kinderurologie, Ammerland Klinik GmbH, Westerstede
Aktuelle Urol 39:373-7. 2008..The increasing histological dedifferentiation of the tumour tissue can make it difficult or even impossible to identify the primary lesion...
- Metachronous and synchronous lung tumors: five malignant lung pathologies in 1 patient during 7 yearsMichael J Flynn
Department of Cardiothoracic Surgery, Freeman Hospital, Newcastle on Tyne, Newcastle on Tyne, United Kingdom
Ann Thorac Surg 78:2154-5. 2004..This case demonstrates the importance of screening after the diagnosis and treatment of lung carcinoma...
- [Synchronous double carcinoma of the left lung and esophagus; report of a case]M Takeo
Department of Surgery, Kobe City Medical Center West Hospital, Kobe, Japan
Kyobu Geka 61:808-11. 2008..Pathological diagnosis was moderately differentiated squamous cell carcinoma of the esophagus and well differentiated adenocarcinoma of the lung. Synchronous double carcinoma of the lung and the esophagus is rare...
- Pathologic quiz case: unusual morphology in an otherwise classic renal cell carcinoma. Tumor-to-tumor metastasis: pulmonary adenocarcinoma metastatic to clear cell renal cell carcinomaLaura A Granville
Department of Pathology, The Methodist Hospital and Baylor College of Medicine, Houston, TX, USA
Arch Pathol Lab Med 129:e49-50. 2005
- Synchronous esophageal and renal cell carcinoma: incidence and possible treatment strategiesI H J T de Hingh
Department of Surgery, Academic Medical Center at the University of Amsterdam, Amsterdam, The Netherlands
Dig Surg 25:27-31. 2008..The present study investigated the incidence of synchronously detected RCC since the introduction of preoperative CT scans in a tertiary referral center for esophageal cancer patients...
- [Lung cancer at a university hospital: epidemiological and histological characteristics of a recent and a historical series]M J Santos-Martinez
Servei de Pneumologia, Hospital del Mar, Universitat Autonoma de Barcelona, Barcelona, Spain
Arch Bronconeumol 41:307-12. 2005..To describe the clinical, histological, and epidemiological characteristics of patients diagnosed with lung cancer in our hospital over a period of 5 years and compare them with those of historical cases treated at the same hospital...
- [Synchronous renal clear-cell carcinoma and ipsilateral transitional-cell carcinoma: case report and bibliographic review]Manuel Fernández Arjona
Servicio de Urologia, Hospital Santa Barbara, Puertollano, Ciudad Real, Espana
Arch Esp Urol 58:460-3. 2005..We report a new case of simultaneous renal cell adenocarcinoma and ipsilateral multifocal transitional cell carcinoma...
- Synchronous multiple primary lung cancers with different response to gefitinibBaek Yeol Ryoo
Department of Internal Medicine, Korea Cancer Center Hospital, 215 4, Gongneung dong, Nowon Gu, Seoul, 139 706, Republic of Korea
Lung Cancer 53:245-8. 2006..These synchronous tumors with different location, histology, status of EGFR-TK mutations and response to chemotherapy might be caused by different molecular pathogenesis...
- [Pleomorphic carcinoma of the lung rapidly developed multiple metastases after surgery]M Segawa
Department of Thoracic and Vascular Surgery, Toyama City Hospital, Toyama, Japan
Kyobu Geka 59:387-91. 2006..He died of peritonitis and pleuritis on only 60 days after the operation...
- Recurrent endometrial cancer: patterns of recurrent disease and assessment of prognosisS A Sohaib
Department of Radiology, Royal Marsden Hospital, London, UK
Clin Radiol 62:28-34; discussion 35-6. 2007..To evaluate patterns of disease and identify factors predicting outcome in patients presenting with recurrent endometrial adenocarcinoma following primary surgery...
- [Synchronous primary lung cancers: due to the four cases]Irfan Ucgun
Pulmonary Diseases, Faculty of Medicine, Osmangazi University, Eskisehir, Turkey
Tuberk Toraks 52:262-7. 2004..Due to the this report, we emphasized that diagnostic procedures should be done separately for each lesions in patients who had more than one lesion, and treatment should plane according to these results...
- Consecutive left lower sleeve lobectomy and left S3 segmentectomy for a patient with node-negative double lung cancerSatoshi Yamamoto
Second Department of Surgery, Fukuoka University School of Medicine, Japan
Jpn J Thorac Cardiovasc Surg 54:342-4. 2006..He was discharged uneventfully on the 14th day after the operation, and he has since been doing fine without lung caner recurrence for 3 years after surgery...
- [Frequency and distribution pattern of distant metastases in patients with ENT tumors and their consequences for pretherapeutic staging]Barbara Dietl
Klinik und Poliklinik für Strahlentherapie, Universitat Regensburg, Regensburg, Deutschland
Strahlenther Onkol 183:138-43. 2007..influenced the frequency of distant metastases in patients with locally advanced ear-nose-throat (ENT) tumors, which was the distribution pattern of metastases, and what were the diagnostic consequences for pretherapeutic staging?..
- Synchronous small-cell lung cancer following colorectal carcinoma. An uncommon entity in the elderlyM Escalante
Rev Esp Enferm Dig 99:119-20. 2007
- Synchronous metastatic malignant melanoma and primary adenocarcinoma in the colonHsin Hui Chiu
Division of Gastroenterology, Department of Medicine and Pathology, Kuo General Hospital, Tainan, Taiwan
Gastrointest Endosc 66:600; discussion 601. 2007
- [Correlation of multiple primary lung cancer with bronchial and alveolar epithelial dysplasia]Guo Feng Wang
Department of Pathology, The Second Affiliated Hospital, College of Medicine, Zhejiang University, Hangzhou 310009, China
Zhejiang Da Xue Xue Bao Yi Xue Ban 34:427-31. 2005..To investigate the correlation of multiple primary lung cancer with bronchial epithelial dysplasia and atypical adenomatous hyperplasia of bronchiolo-alveolar epithelium...
- Florid cutaneous papillomatosis with acanthosis nigricans in a patient with carcinomas of the lung and prostateWolfgang Weger
J Am Acad Dermatol 57:907-8. 2007
- A rational approach to pulmonary screening in newly diagnosed head and neck cancerKwok Seng Loh
Department of Otolaryngology, University Health Network, Wharton Head and Neck Center, Princess Margaret Hospital, 610 University Avenue Canada 3 952, Toronto, Ontario M5G 2M9, Canada
Head Neck 27:990-4. 2005....
- Small cell carcinoma of the prostate. A morphologic and immunohistochemical study of 95 casesWenle Wang
Department of Pathology, The Johns Hopkins Medical Institutions, Baltimore, MD, USA
Am J Surg Pathol 32:65-71. 2008..P501S and prostate-specific membrane antigen were better in identifying the prostatic origin of small cell carcinoma than PSA, although the majority (60%) of prostatic small cell carcinomas were negative for all 3 markers...
- [Adrenal metastasis of lung adenocarcinoma with unusual sites of lymph node metastasis and concomitant renal cell carcinoma: a case report]Hideo Otsuki
Department of Urology, National Defense Medical College
Hinyokika Kiyo 53:879-82. 2007..According to pathological findings and an elevation of carcinoembryogenic antigen, the adrenal lesion was diagnosed as adrenal metastasis of lung adenocarcinoma...
- Acute interstitial pneumonia following surgery for primary lung cancerMasashi Muraoka
Division of Surgical Oncology, Department of Translational Medical Sciences, Nagasaki University Graduate School of Biomedical Sciences, Nagasaki, Japan
Eur J Cardiothorac Surg 30:657-62. 2006..We conducted this study to determine the characteristics of acute interstitial pneumonia after pulmonary resection and to identify the risk factors for this disease...
- Radiology-Pathology Conference: Bilateral renal oncocytomasLewis K Shin
Department of Radiology, Winthrop University Hospital, 259 First Street, Mineola, NY 11501, USA
Clin Imaging 28:344-8. 2004..Accurate preoperative diagnosis and differentiation from renal carcinoma is difficult. We report the radiology and pathology of a patient with bilateral renal oncocytomas and review the literature of this rare presentation...
- [Sugar tumor of the lung--case report and review of the literature]V Fackeldey
Abteilung für Allgemein, Viszeral und Thoraxchirurgie, Bundeswehrzentralkrankenhaus Koblenz
Chirurg 74:683-6. 2003..We present a case of metachronic, benign, and HMB-45-negative sugar tumor of the lung after hypernephroma and give a review of the literature...
- [A resected case of multiple lung cancers]M Kitada
Department of Chest Surgery, Obihiro National Sanatorium, Obihiro, Japan
Kyobu Geka 54:345-8. 2001..Histological examination confirmed well-differentiated squamous cell carcinoma from the S10 and well-differentiated adenocarcinoma from the S2. He is healthy three year after operation...
- [A case of collision tumor involving the mouth of the left lower lobe bronchus treated by left lower sleeve lobectomy]K Yamamoto
Department of Respiratory Disease, Matsue Red Cross Hospital, Shimane, Japan
Kyobu Geka 54:513-6. 2001..We performed left sleeve lower lobectomy and the postoperative pathologic examination revealed a collision tumor comprising adenocarcinoma and squamous cell carcinoma...
- [A case of triple malignancies (gastric cancer, lung cancer and malignant pleural mesothelioma) after asbestos exposure]Takumi Kishimoto
Department of Laborer s Respiratory Diseases, Okayama Rousai Hospital, Okayama, Japan
Nihon Kokyuki Gakkai Zasshi 41:304-9. 2003..It is well known that lung cancer and malignant mesothelioma are induced by asbestos exposure, but multiple cancers including lung cancer and malignant mesothelioma are extremely rare...
- [Cavitary pulmonary metastasis from bladder cancer: a case report]Akira Yamasaki
Third Department of Internal Medicine, Faculty of Medicine, Tottori University, 36 1 Nishi machi, Yonagoshi, Tottori Pref
Nihon Kokyuki Gakkai Zasshi 41:95-8. 2003..Cavitating pulmonary metastasis is uncommon. We report a rare case of pulmonary metastasis from bladder cancer, with mixed-type histopathology at both primary and metastatic sites...
- Utility of chest computed tomography for staging in patients with T1 extremity soft tissue sarcomasJ B Fleming
Sarcoma Center, The University of Texas M. D. Anderson Cancer Center, 1515 Holcombe Blvd, Houston, TX 77030-4009, USA
Cancer 92:863-8. 2001..The findings of the current study do not support current NCCN or SSO practice guidelines for patients with high-grade T1 STS...
- Molecular analysis of synchronous and metachronous tumors of the lung: impact on management and prognosisJ Huang
Department of Pathology, Bellevue-New York University Medical Center, New York, NY, USA
Ann Diagn Pathol 5:321-9. 2001..Our data suggest that molecular analysis can help fingerprint tumors and has the potential to significantly impact management and prognosis of patients...
- Familial papillary renal cell tumors and subsequent cancers: a nationwide epidemiological study from SwedenKamila Czene
Department of Biosciences at Novum, Karolinska Institute, Huddinge, Sweden
J Urol 169:1271-5. 2003..Familial risks in papillary renal cell carcinoma and association with second primary malignancies were studied using the nationwide Swedish Family Cancer Data Base...
- Philadelphia chromosome-positive chronic myeloid leukemia expressing p190(BCR-ABL)Akimichi Ohsaka
Department of Transfusion Medicine, Juntendo University School of Medicine, Tokyo
Intern Med 41:1183-7. 2002....
- [Surgery for multiple primary lung cancers]Y Yamakawa
Department of Surgery II, Nagoya City University Medical School, Nagoya, Japan
Kyobu Geka 55:10-4. 2002..Their 5 year survival rate was 36%. Especially of the patients with stage I lung cancer, 5 year survival rate was 65%. Radical but less invasive operation like VATS should be chosen for their treatment...
- FAMILIAL COLORECTAL NEOPLASIA COLLABORATIVE GROUPNoralane Lindor; Fiscal Year: 2007..fs20\par \par } ..
- CLINICAL AND GENETIC ANALYSIS OF SCHWANNOMATOSISMia MacCollin; Fiscal Year: 2001....
- Consortium for the Molecular and Cell Biology of NFMia MacCollin; Fiscal Year: 2004....
- HIV and the Proteasome in the Aging Human BrainBenjamin Gelman; Fiscal Year: 2005..The linkage between brain inflammation and altered neuronal protein turnover could lead to a unifying functional concept of dementia with application to HIV and aging both. ..
- Genotype Phenotype Relationship in Neurofibromatosis 2Mia MacCollin; Fiscal Year: 2005..Finally, the determination of genotype-phenotype relationships will aid in the prognostication and effective management of this devastating disorder. ..
- Depo-Provera and Breast Cancer: Epidemiology/PathologyChristopher Li; Fiscal Year: 2009..such as parity and body mass index, modify this association?;and (3) Does the association between DMPA and breast cancer risk vary by histologic type or by the expression of steroid receptors including ERq, ERft, and PR? ..
- Characterization of the Chromosome 17q23 AmpliconFergus Couch; Fiscal Year: 2006..Thus, the project may involve a complete transition from benchtop to bedside. Finally, the amplified and overexpressed genes may prove useful as important targets of gene, pharmacological, and immunological therapy in the future. ..
- Mutational Analysis of Clonality in Multiple Primary MelanomaIrene Orlow; Fiscal Year: 2007..unreadable] [unreadable] [unreadable]..
- Mathematical Models of Programmed CTL ProliferationDominik Wodarz; Fiscal Year: 2009..These are the role of effector molecules (such as perform and IFN-g) for CTL dynamics, and the role of CD4 T cell help. The modeling work will be complemented by experiments with VSV and LCMV infected mice. ..
- Dopamine Systems and Neuropsychiatric Changes in HIV/AIDSBenjamin B Gelman; Fiscal Year: 2010..The project breaks ground neuroscientifically, as no autopsy study has advanced to a "task specific" behavioral correlation with circuit level anomalies of a specific neurotransmitter system. ..
- Solar Exposure and Melanoma SurvivalMarianne Berwick; Fiscal Year: 2009..2. Determine whether functional polymorphic variants in the vitamin D receptor affect survival from melanoma. 3. Investigate the interaction of lifetime solar exposure and polymorphisms in VDR and its effect on survival. ..
- Sphingolipid signaling in olfactory mucosaMary Beth Genter; Fiscal Year: 2004..abstract_text> ..
- MYELOPATHY AND NEUROPATHY DURING CHANGING HIV BURDENBenjamin Gelman; Fiscal Year: 2004..Together, the studies we have proposed will provide insights concerning prevalent AIDS morbidities in the HAART era. ..
- MECHANISMS OF BIOENGINEERED SKIN IN HUMAN WOUNDSVincent Falanga; Fiscal Year: 2003..The proposed studies will advance our understanding of how a bioengineered skin product works in a human chronic wound and provide insight into further bioengineering needs. ..
- Extracellular matrix in chloracetanilide carcinogenesisMary Beth Genter; Fiscal Year: 2004..abstract_text> ..
- A Pilot Writing Program for Multiethnic Breast Cancer PtCarolyn Gotay; Fiscal Year: 2004..This study will provide an initial step toward achieving this goal. ..
- MECHANISM OF INDUCTION OF OLFACTORY TUMORS BY ALACHLORMary Beth Genter; Fiscal Year: 2002....
- AUTOCRINE ROLE OF GASTRIN-LIKE PEPTIDES IN COLON CANCERPomila Singh; Fiscal Year: 2002..If we are successful in purifying the novel GP-R (and confirm its role in mediating the mitogenic effects of gastrins) then one can develop systemic strategies to block the receptor mediated effects in future funding periods. ..
- PHENOTYPIC AND PSYCHOSOCIAL STUDY OF THE L1307K MUTATIONHenry Lynch; Fiscal Year: 2004....
- Protein Biomarkers of Cancer Risk in Older PersonsChristopher Li; Fiscal Year: 2008..unreadable] [unreadable]..
- Hepatic Arterial Flouridine and IV Bevacizumab for Primary Hepatic MalignancyWilliam Jarnagin; Fiscal Year: 2008..Furthermore, several important clinical issues are addressed by the proposed correlative studies, the results of which would be of broad general interest in clinical oncology. [unreadable] [unreadable] [unreadable]..
- THE ROLE OF RB IN THE RETINA & OTHER TISSUESJAMES HARBOUR; Fiscal Year: 2009..Consequently, these aims are highly relevant to the vision statement of the NEI, and they address several major program goals and objectives of the Retinal Diseases Program. ..
- P21 INDUCTION BY BRCA2Fergus Couch; Fiscal Year: 2002....
- Growth Factors, Curcumin and Colon CarcinogenesisPomila Singh; Fiscal Year: 2010..The results of these studies are expected to help in developing mechanism-based strategies for preventative/treatment protocols for CRCusing curcumin like agents. ..
- IGFS & IGF-BINDING PROTEINS IN GROWTH & DIFFERENTIATIONPomila Singh; Fiscal Year: 2002....
- Computer Aided Liver Lesion Detection AlgorithmLawrence Schwartz; Fiscal Year: 2005..Clearly this is the first step in a process of development and if successful will lead to further efforts in automated detection and characterization. ..
- c-erbB-2 and Risk of Contralateral Breast CancerChristopher Li; Fiscal Year: 2007..unreadable] [unreadable]..
- TEXAS REPOSITORY FOR AIDS NEUROPATHOGENESIS RESEARCHBenjamin Gelman; Fiscal Year: 2007..abstract_text> ..
- Tissue Engineering for the Treatment of Delayed HealingVincent Falanga; Fiscal Year: 2007..These studies will advance our understanding of how to reconstitute the wound bed and whether it is possible to correct the abnormal cellular phenotype in non-healing wounds. ..
- Identification and characterization of the DFNB17 geneJohn Greinwald; Fiscal Year: 2006....
- CAM Use in Asians & Pacific IslandersCarolyn Gotay; Fiscal Year: 2006..abstract_text> ..
- The Risk of Cancer in Fanconi Anemia HeterozygotesMarianne Berwick; Fiscal Year: 2005..Analyses will be undertaken to evaluate the role of Fanconi anemia heterozygosity for cancer. If carriers are found to be at increased risk, this information can be used to target individuals for cancer prevention strategies. ..
- PATHOGENIC MECHANISMS OF VENOUS DISEASEVincent Falanga; Fiscal Year: 2004..The proposed studies should advance knowledge of the pathogenesis of venous ulceration and fibrosis. ..
- Whole genome amplification and DNA pooling strategiesImmaculata DeVivo; Fiscal Year: 2004..Results from the pooling experiments will determine whether this method may be sensitive enough for use in nested case-control studies where a small difference in allele frequency is expected. ..
- Factors Influencing Use of Cancer Genetics by PhysiciansMarie Wood; Fiscal Year: 2004....