Genomes and Genes
dysplastic nevus syndrome
Summary: Clinically atypical nevi (usually exceeding 5 mm in diameter and having variable pigmentation and ill defined borders) with an increased risk for development of non-familial cutaneous malignant melanoma. Biopsies show melanocytic dysplasia. Nevi are clinically and histologically identical to the precursor lesions for melanoma in the B-K mole syndrome. (Stedman, 25th ed)
Publications216 found, 100 shown here
- Meta-analysis of risk factors for cutaneous melanoma: I. Common and atypical naeviSara Gandini
Department of Epidemiology and Biostatistics, European Institute of Oncology IRCCS, Via Ripamonti 435, 20141 Milan, Italy
Eur J Cancer 41:28-44. 2005..Case-control studies, in particular when the hospital was the source for cases or controls, appeared to present much lower and more precise estimates than cohort studies...
- Prognostic significance of activated Akt expression in melanoma: a clinicopathologic study of 292 casesDerek L Dai
Department of Medicine, Division of Dermatology, University of British Columbia, Vancouver, British Columbia, Canada
J Clin Oncol 23:1473-82. 2005....
- Clinically recognized dysplastic nevi. A central risk factor for cutaneous melanomaM A Tucker
Genetic Epidemiology Branch, National Cancer Institute, National Institutes of Health, Bethesda, MD, 20892 7372, USA
JAMA 277:1439-44. 1997..To investigate the relationship of number and type of nevi to the development of melanoma...
- Germline p16 mutations in familial melanomaC J Hussussian
Laboratory of Genetic Disease Research, National Center for Human Genome Research, National Institutes of Health, Bethesda, Maryland 20892
Nat Genet 8:15-21. 1994..Functional analyses of these mutations will confirm those causally related to the development of familial melanoma...
- Dysplastic naevi with moderate to severe histological dysplasia: a risk factor for melanomaA R Shors
Cancer Prevention, Fred Hutchinson Cancer Research Center, Seattle, WA, USA
Br J Dermatol 155:988-93. 2006..While clinically atypical naevi appear to confer an independent risk of melanoma, no study has evaluated the extent to which HDN are predictive of melanoma...
- A natural history of melanomas and dysplastic nevi: an atlas of lesions in melanoma-prone familiesMargaret A Tucker
Genetic Epidemiology Branch, Division of Cancer Epidemiology and Genetics, National Cancer Institute, National Institutes of Health, Rockville, Maryland 20892 7236, USA
Cancer 94:3192-209. 2002....
- Genome-wide linkage scan for atypical nevi in p16-Leiden melanoma familiesFemke A De Snoo
Departments of Human and Clinical Genetics, Leiden University Medical Center, Leiden, The Netherlands
Eur J Hum Genet 16:1135-41. 2008..The strongest evidence for an atypical nevus susceptibility gene was mapped to chromosome band 7q21.3 (two-point LOD score=2.751), a region containing candidate gene CDK6...
- Monitoring of kindreds with hereditary predisposition for cutaneous melanoma and dysplastic nevus syndrome: results of a Swedish preventive programJohan Hansson
Department of Oncology Pathology, Karolinska Institutet and Karolinska University Hospital Solna, Stockholm, Sweden
J Clin Oncol 25:2819-24. 2007To evaluate a program initiated in 1987 by the Swedish Melanoma Study Group aiming to provide preventive surveillance to kindreds with hereditary cutaneous melanoma and dysplastic nevus syndrome.
- Terminology and management of dysplastic nevi: responses from 145 dermatologistsMaxwell A Fung
Arch Dermatol 139:1374-5. 2003
- The limited specificity of histological examination in the diagnosis of dysplastic neviMichael S Rabkin
Rabkin Dermatopathology Laboratory PC, Pittsburgh, PA15238, USA
J Cutan Pathol 35:20-3. 2008..This article will briefly review the evolution of our understanding of the histological range of nevi and the histological differential diagnosis of dysplastic nevi...
- Grading of atypia in nevi: correlation with melanoma riskMontserrat Arumi-Uria
Dermatopathology Division, Department of Pathology, Weill Medical College of Cornell University, New York, New York 10021, USA
Mod Pathol 16:764-71. 2003..Likewise, the risk of melanoma is greater for persons who tend to make nevi with high grade histological atypia...
- Melanocortin-1 receptor (MC1R) gene variants and dysplastic nevi modify penetrance of CDKN2A mutations in French melanoma-prone pedigreesValerie Chaudru
Institut National de la Sante et de la Recherche Medicale, Université d Evry, EMI 0006, Tour Evry 2, 523 Place des Terrasses de l Agora, 91034 Evry, France
Cancer Epidemiol Biomarkers Prev 14:2384-90. 2005..21; P = 0.03] and dysplastic nevi (OR, 2.93; P < 0.01). Such results may have important consequences to improve the prediction of melanoma risk in families...
- Myeloid leukemia-1 expression in benign and malignant melanocytic lesionsRonald P C Wong
Department of Dermatology and Skin Science, Jack Bell Research Centre, British Columbia, Canada
Oncol Rep 19:933-7. 2008..We did not find any correlation between Mcl-1 expression and melanoma patient survival. Our data suggest that Mcl-1 may play a critical role in the initiation of melanoma development...
- Histologic similarities between lentigo maligna and dysplastic nevus: importance of clinicopathologic distinctionFarinaz Farrahi
Department of Dermatology, Stanford University Medical Center, Stanford, CA 94305, USA
J Cutan Pathol 32:405-12. 2005..Lentigo maligna (LM) can histologically simulate dysplastic nevus (DN). Partial biopsy of LM may lead to misdiagnosis...
- Bim expression is reduced in human cutaneous melanomasDerek L Dai
Department of Dermatology and Skin Science, Jack Bell Research Centre, Vancouver, British Columbia, Canada
J Invest Dermatol 128:403-7. 2008..Our data suggest that Bim loss may play an important role in melanoma progression...
- Incidence of new and changed nevi and melanomas detected using baseline images and dermoscopy in patients at high risk for melanomaJeremy P Banky
Dermatology Unit and Victorian Melanoma Service, The Alfred, Prahran, Victoria, Australia
Arch Dermatol 141:998-1006. 2005..To determine the incidence of new, changed, and regressed nevi and melanomas in a cohort of patients at high risk for melanoma using baseline total body photography and dermatoscopy...
- Results of a surveillance programme for patients at high risk of malignant melanoma using digital and conventional dermoscopyH A Haenssle
Department of Dermatology and Venerology, Georg August University Goettingen, von Siebold Strasse 3, D 37075 Goettingen, Germany
Eur J Cancer Prev 13:133-8. 2004..We conclude that DELM follow-up for patients at high risk allows the early detection of melanomas that have not yet acquired melanoma-typical ELM features...
- Evaluation of germline CDKN2A, ARF, CDK4, PTEN, and BRAF alterations in atypical mole syndromeJ T Celebi
Department of Dermatology, Columbia University, New York, USA
Clin Exp Dermatol 30:68-70. 2005..These data suggest that genes evaluated in this study are unlikely to be candidate genes for atypical mole syndrome and support the notion that unknown susceptibility gene/s for this disease exist...
- The "dysplastic" nevusRobert J Friedman
Department of Dermatology, New York University School of Medicine, New York, NY 10016, USA
Clin Dermatol 27:103-15. 2009..The advent of new technologies, such as computer-vision systems, have the potential to significantly change treatment of dysplastic nevi in the future...
- Clinical practice. Dysplastic neviJean Marie Naeyaert
Department of Dermatology, Gent University Hospital, Gent, Belgium
N Engl J Med 349:2233-40. 2003
- Dermatoscopy of "dysplastic nevi": a beacon in diagnostic darknessAlexander Roesch
Department of Dermatology, University of Regensburg, Franz Josef Strauss Allee 11, D 93053 Regensburg, Germany
Eur J Dermatol 16:479-93. 2006....
- Management of dysplastic nevi: a survey of fellows of the American Academy of DermatologyJackie M Tripp
Ronald O Perelman Department of Dermatology, New York University School of Medicine, New York 10016, USA
J Am Acad Dermatol 46:674-82. 2002..Opinions concerning the significance of dysplastic nevi and their management vary among dermatologists...
- Dermoscopic classification of Clark's nevi (atypical melanocytic nevi)Rainer Hofmann-Wellenhof
Department of Dermatology, University of Graz, Graz, Austria
Clin Dermatol 20:255-8. 2002
- In vivo confocal microscopy for detection and grading of dysplastic nevi: a pilot studyGiovanni Pellacani
Department of Dermatology, University of Modena and Reggio Emilia, Modena, Italy
J Am Acad Dermatol 66:e109-21. 2012..In vivo confocal microscopy represents a noninvasive imaging technique producing horizontal sections at nearly histopathologic resolution...
- Mycosis fungoides associated with malignant melanoma and dysplastic nevus syndromeJ A Pielop
Baylor College of Medicine, Houston, TX, USA
Int J Dermatol 42:116-22. 2003..The increased risk of second malignancies, including nonmelanoma skin cancers, in cutaneous T-cell lymphoma (CTCL) patients has been well documented. However, relatively few studies of malignant melanoma in CTCL patients have been reported...
- [Dysplastic melanocytic nevus]Alexander Salava
HYKS n iho ja allergiasairalla, HUS
Duodecim 126:2492-501. 2010..Because of the rising incidence of melanoma and the lack of therapeutic options in disseminated disease, the surveillance of high risk patients, the early detection of melanoma and excision play a key role in patient management...
- Agminated atypical (dysplastic) nevi: case report and review of the literatureA A Marghoob
Dermatology Service, Memorial Sloan-Kettering Cancer Center, 1275 York Ave, New York, NY 10021, USA
Arch Dermatol 137:917-20. 2001..The presence of agminated atypical (dysplastic) nevi in a patient with the atypical mole syndrome can be theorized to arise because of loss of heterozygosity...
- Gene-covariate interaction between dysplastic nevi and the CDKN2A gene in American melanoma-prone familiesA M Goldstein
Genetic Epidemiology Branch, Division of Cancer Epidemiology and Genetics, National Cancer Institute, Bethesda, Maryland 20892 7236, USA
Cancer Epidemiol Biomarkers Prev 9:889-94. 2000..8) versus those with CDKN2A mutations (OR, 3.3; 95% confidence interval, 1.1-10.0; complete-cases method). The CDKN2A-DN interaction illustrates the complex etiology of melanoma and needs to be confirmed in a larger sample of families...
- Precursors to melanoma and their mimics: nevi of special sitesDavid E Elder
Department of Pathology and Laboratory Medicine, University of Pennsylvania Health System, Philadelphia, PA 19104, USA
Mod Pathol 19:S4-20. 2006..In this monograph, dysplastic nevi and nevi of special sites are compared and contrasted in relation to melanoma...
- Role of ING4 in human melanoma cell migration, invasion and patient survivalJun Li
Department of Dermatology and Skin Science, Jack Bell Research Centre, Vancouver Coastal Health Research Institute, University of British Columbia, Vancouver, British Columbia V6H 3Z6, Canada
Carcinogenesis 29:1373-9. 2008..Taken together, this study highlights the importance of ING4 in melanoma pathogenesis and ING4 may serve as a promising prognostic marker and a potential therapeutic target for human melanoma...
- Melanoma ex naevo: a study of the associated naevusInja Bogdan
Department of Dermatology, University Hospital, 8091 Zurich, Switzerland
Melanoma Res 13:213-7. 2003..These data support the hypothesis that lesions within 9p21 play an important role in early melanoma development, since these genetic alterations are found in histologically benign melanoma-associated naevi...
- Melanocytic dysplastic naevi occupy the middle ground between benign melanocytic naevi and cutaneous malignant melanomas: emerging cluesM R Hussein
Department of Pathology, Assiut University Hospital, Egypt
J Clin Pathol 58:453-6. 2005..Although this argument appears to be straightforward, it is still controversial. This review explores the components of this argument and provides supporting evidence for this hypothesis...
- Expression of the proteoglycans versican and mel-CSPG in dysplastic neviMalika Touab
Departments of Biochemistry and Molecular Biology, School of Veterinary Medicine, Autonomous University of Barcelona, Spain
Am J Clin Pathol 119:587-93. 2003..Our results suggest that versican expression may be of value for distinguishing NAD from benign melanocytic nevi and for distinguishing severe NAD from mild and moderate NAD...
- Relationship between cause of referral and diagnostic outcome in pigmented lesion clinics: a multicentre survey of the Italian Multidisciplinary Group on Melanoma (GIPMe)Paolo Carli
Department of Dermatological Science, University of Florence, Italy
Melanoma Res 13:207-11. 2003....
- Assessment of genetic instability in melanocytic skin lesions through microsatellite analysis of benign naevi, dysplastic naevi, and primary melanomas and their metastasesGiuseppe Palmieri
Istituto di Chimica Biomolecolare, CNR, Alghero, 07040 Santa Maria La Palma SS, Italy
Melanoma Res 13:167-70. 2003..However, our findings are consistent with the hypothesis that MSI may be sequentially induced during malignant evolution, contributing to the progression of a subset of melanocytic tumours...
- Loss of claudin-1 expression in tumor-associated vessels correlates with acquisition of metastatic phenotype in melanocytic neoplasmsMichael L Cohn
Department of Pathology, The University of Texas M D Anderson Cancer Center, Houston, TX 77030, USA
J Cutan Pathol 32:533-6. 2005..Cohn ML, Goncharuk VN, Diwan AH, Zhang PS, Shen SS, Prieto VG. Loss of claudin-1 expression in tumor-associated vessels correlates with acquisition of metastatic phenotype in melanocytic neoplasms...
- Disturbed melanin synthesis and chronic oxidative stress in dysplastic naeviStan Pavel
Department of Dermatology, Leiden University Medical Centre, P O Box 9600, 2300 RC Leiden, The Netherlands
Eur J Cancer 40:1423-30. 2004..We show that the metabolic alterations in DN cells resemble those found in melanoma cells. Our findings provide support for the idea that DN cells are true precursor lesions of melanoma...
- Case records of the Massachusetts General Hospital. Weekly clinicopathological exercises. Case 7-2004. A 48-year-old woman with multiple pigmented lesions and a personal and family history of melanomaHensin Tsao
Wellman Center for Photomedicine, Massachusetts General Hospital, USA
N Engl J Med 350:924-32. 2004
- Detection of the BRAF V600E mutation in melanocytic lesions using the ligase detection reactionDaniel J Turner
Department of Microbiology, Cornell University Graduate School of Medical Sciences, New York, NY, USA
J Cutan Pathol 32:334-9. 2005..Research has shown that a majority of melanomas and nevi exhibit an activating V600E (T1799A) mutation in BRAF exon 15. Additional studies of BRAF have demonstrated that the T1799A mutation is absent in uveal melanomas and Spitz nevi...
- The diagnostic performance of expert dermoscopists vs a computer-vision system on small-diameter melanomasRobert J Friedman
Department of Dermatology, New York University School of Medicine, New York, USA
Arch Dermatol 144:476-82. 2008..To evaluate the performance of dermoscopists in diagnosing small pigmented skin lesions (diameter </= 6 mm) compared with an automatic multispectral computer-vision system...
- [Genetic counseling and DNA testing in patients with increased risks for malignant melanoma]P H Itin
Abteilung für Dermatologie, Kantonsspital Aarau
Ther Umsch 60:469-72. 2003..Nowadays molecular genetic screenings are available within research projects for members of melanoma-prone families. The controversy of such possibilities is discussed...
- Survivin protein in UVB induced apoptosis of melanoma cells and in melanoma progressionHong Zhang
Clinical Research Centre, Division of Dermatology, Department of Biomedicine and Surgery, Linkoping University, SE 581 85 Linkoping, Sweden
Oncol Rep 13:1121-6. 2005..However, the normal tissues were not expressed in the survivin protein. Survivin plays an important role in UVB-induced apoptosis. Overexpression of survivin might be a biomarker for early diagnosis for melanoma...
- Digital epiluminescence microscopy monitoring of high-risk patientsJune K Robinson
Department of Medicine, Division of Dermatology, Cardinal Bernardin Cancer Center, Loyola University Stritch School of Medicine, Maywood, IL 60153, USA
Arch Dermatol 140:49-56. 2004..To examine the outcome of digital epiluminescence microscopic (DELM) surveillance of atypical nevi in a high-risk population for 4 years...
- Identification of novel deletion Loci at 1p36 and 9p22-21 in melanocytic dysplastic nevi and cutaneous malignant melanomasMahmoud R Hussein
Arch Dermatol 139:816-7. 2003
- Utility of the Wood's light: five cases from a pigmented lesion clinicL R Paraskevas
Dermatology Division, Memorial Sloan Kettering Skin Cancer Center at Suffolk, 800 Veterans Memorial Highway, Hauppauge, NY 11788, USA
Br J Dermatol 152:1039-44. 2005..We encourage physicians not to abandon the use of the Wood's light in their clinical practice...
- Lentiginous melanoma: a histologic pattern of melanoma to be distinguished from lentiginous nevusRoy King
Knoxville Dermatopathology Laboratory and Department of Pathology, University of Tennessee Graduate School of Medicine, Knoxville, TN 37919, USA
Mod Pathol 18:1397-401. 2005..Familiarity with this pattern of early melanoma should facilitate proper classification of lentiginous melanocytic proliferations in biopsies from older adults...
- [Correlation between dermoscopy and histopathology in pigmented and non-pigmented skin tumours]A Blum
Universitäts Hautklinik, Tubingen
Hautarzt 54:279-291; quiz 292-3. 2003..In this continuing medical education article the correlation of both examination techniques is presented for the dermoscopic differential diagnoses...
- My approach to atypical melanocytic lesionsK S Culpepper
Division of Dermatopathology, Department of Pathology, Brigham and Women s Hospital and Harvard Medical School, Boston, MA 05464, USA
J Clin Pathol 57:1121-31. 2004..Complete or large excision of all clinically atypical naevi permits histological assessment of the entire lesion, and in most cases spares the patient the need for further surgical intervention...
- Improved identification of potentially dangerous pigmented skin lesions by computerized image analysisMaria Jasmin Jamora
Ronald O Perelman Department of Dermatology, New York University School of Medicine, New York, NY, USA
Arch Dermatol 139:195-8. 2003....
- Immunohistochemical expression of vascular endothelial growth factor, matrix metalloproteinase 2, and matrix metalloproteinase 9 in cutaneous melanocytic lesionsOriana Simonetti
Clinic of Dermatology, University of Ancona, Italy
Cancer 95:1963-70. 2002..Several groups of proteases have been implicated in tumor cell invasion, including the 72-kDa gelatinase A/Type IV collagenase (matrix metalloproteinase 2 [MMP-2]) and the 92-kDa gelatinase B/Type IV collagenase (MMP-9)...
- Expression of cell cycle and apoptosis regulatory proteins and telomerase in melanocitic lesionsTanja Batinac
Department of Dermatovenerology, Rijeka University Hospital, Rijeka, Croatia
Coll Antropol 31:17-22. 2007..014) and dysplastic nevi (p < 0.001). Enhanced telomerase activity in association with increased bcl-2 expression in the course of melanoma progression could contribute to development and progression of melanoma...
- Frequency and characteristics of melanomas missed at a pigmented lesion clinic: a registry-based studyPaolo Carli
Department of Dermatology, Centro per lo Studio e la Prevenzione Oncologica, Florence, Italy
Melanoma Res 14:403-7. 2004..1. In conclusion, specialized examination of pigmented skin lesions at the PLC offered good level of diagnostic performance, with an acceptable cost in terms of benign lesions removed and overall a low risk of missing melanomas...
- Expression of vascular endothelial growth factor in early cutaneous melanocytic lesion progressionJanine G Einspahr
Department of Medicine, Arizona Cancer Center, University of Arizona, Tucson, Arizona 85724, USA
Cancer 110:2519-27. 2007..Tumor angiogenesis likely plays a critical role in early development of melanoma, and intermediate biomarkers of angiogenesis could be useful as chemoprevention and prognostic markers...
- Melanoma associated with a dysplastic nevus: report of two cases with unusual sebocyte-like melanocytes in the nevus part of the lesionMarina Vazmitel
Academy of Postgraduate Education of Belarus, Minsk, Republic of Belarus
Am J Dermatopathol 29:566-7. 2007..The cases are discussed in the context of the pertinent literature...
- Ex vivo dermoscopy of melanocytic tumors: time for dermatopathologists to learn dermoscopyAlon Scope
Dermatology Service, Department of Medicine, Memorial Sloan Kettering Cancer Center, 160 E 53rd St, New York, NY 10022, USA
Arch Dermatol 143:1548-52. 2007..Noncontact polarized dermoscopy was applied to pigmented lesions before excision and at least 6 hours after specimen fixation in formalin...
- Skin lesion classification using relative color featuresYue Cheng
Electrical and Computer Engineering Department, Southern Illinois University Edwardsville, Edwardsville, IL 62026 1801, USA
Skin Res Technol 14:53-64. 2008..Our research uses image analysis of clinical skin images and relative color-based pattern recognition techniques to enhance the images and improve differentiation of these lesions...
- Minichromosome maintenance protein expression in benign nevi, dysplastic nevi, melanoma, and cutaneous melanoma metastasesAlan S Boyd
Department of Medicine Dermatology, Vanderbilt University, Nashville, Tennessee, USA
J Am Acad Dermatol 58:750-4. 2008..To date, the evaluation of MCM proteins in melanocytic neoplasms has not been undertaken...
- Nodal melanocytic nevus with balloon-cell change (nodal balloon-cell nevus)Carmelo Urso
Dermatopathology Section, Pigmented Skin Lesions, S M Annunziata Hospital, Florence, Italy
J Cutan Pathol 35:672-6. 2008....
- Utility of lesion diameter in the clinical diagnosis of cutaneous melanomaNaheed R Abbasi
Ronald O Perelman Department of Dermatology, New York University School of Medicine, 550 First Ave, Room H 100, New York, NY 10016, USA
Arch Dermatol 144:469-74. 2008..To determine the utility of the current diameter criterion of larger than 6 mm of the ABCDE acronym for the early diagnosis of cutaneous melanoma...
- Abnormal melanosomes: ultrastructural markers of melanocytic atypiaV Vicente Ortega
Department of Pathology, University of Murcia, Spain
Ultrastruct Pathol 19:119-28. 1995....
- CASH algorithm for dermoscopy revisitedJ Scott Henning
Arch Dermatol 144:554-5. 2008
- [Nevus or malignant melanoma? Correct diagnostic competence results in lower costs]Bernt Lindelof
Karolinska Universitetssjukhuset, Stockholm
Lakartidningen 105:2666-9. 2008
- A distinctive melanocytic lesion associated with melanoma-prone dysplastic naevus syndrome: the hybrid naevusC Schubert
Institute of Dermatology and Dermatopathology, Buchholz, Germany
Virchows Arch 438:166-72. 2001..The newly characterized criteria may provide a basis for the diagnosis of DNS and might help to identify patients at increased risk for malignant melanoma by examination of a single biopsy...
- hTERT expression in melanocytic lesions: an immunohistochemical study on paraffin-embedded tissueDouglas R Fullen
Department of Pathology, University of Michigan Medical Center, 1301 Catherine, Ann Arbor, MI 48109 0602, USA
J Cutan Pathol 32:680-4. 2005..The aim of this study was to evaluate human telomerase reverse transcriptase (hTERT) staining in melanocytic lesions on paraffin-embedded tissues...
- Clinicopathological features of melanocytic skin lesions in EgyptMahmoud R Hussein
Department of Pathology, Assuit University Hospitals, Faculty of Medicine, Assuit University, Assuit, Egypt
Eur J Cancer Prev 15:64-8. 2006..Another key difference from the West is the 'sun-bed' culture of the West and the desire to have suntans. This is the first study that reports the clinicopathologic features of melanocytic skin lesions in Egypt...
- Melanoma with benign melanocytic naevus components: reappraisal of clinicopathological features and prognosisS Kaddu
Department of Dermatology, University of Graz, Auenbruggerplatz 8, A 8036 Graz, Austria
Melanoma Res 12:271-8. 2002..Patients with naevus-associated melanomas generally show a good clinical outcome, reflecting their small Breslow index...
- Cutaneous melanocytic lesions: selected problem areasMark R Wick
Division of Surgical Pathology and Cytopathology, University of Virginia Medical Center, Charlottesville 22908 0214, USA
Am J Clin Pathol 124:S52-83. 2005....
- Comprehensive analysis of 112 melanocytic skin lesions demonstrates microsatellite instability in melanomas and dysplastic nevi, but not in benign neviM R Hussein
Institute of Pathology, Case Western Reserve University and University Hospitals of Cleveland, Cleveland, Ohio, USA
J Cutan Pathol 28:343-50. 2001..CONCLUSIONS: The data presented revealed the presence of low-frequency MSI (MSI-L) at the 1p and 9p regions in both MDN and CMM. Whether the MSI-L pattern reflects a defect in mismatch repair genes is still to be determined...
- Aberrant DNA methylation silences the novel heat shock protein H11 in melanoma but not benign melanocytic lesionsB K Sharma
Virology Immunology Laboratories, Department of Pharmacology and Experimental Therapeutics, University of Maryland School of Medicine, Baltimore, MD 21201, USA
Dermatology 213:192-9. 2006..The heat shock protein H11 is silenced in melanoma cell lines, where its forced expression by demethylation with Aza-C triggers apoptosis...
- Oestrogen receptor-beta expression in melanocytic lesionsAdriana N Schmidt
Division of Dermatology, Department of Medicine, Vanderbilt University Medical School, Nashville, TN 37232, USA
Exp Dermatol 15:971-80. 2006..Discovery that ERbeta expression varies in relation to the tumor microenvironment and increasing depth of invasion suggests its possible usefulness as a surrogate marker for neoplasia and prognosis in malignant melanoma...
- HDM2 protein overexpression, but not gene amplification, is related to tumorigenesis of cutaneous melanomaD Polsky
Ronald O. Perelman Department of Dermatology, New York University School of Medicine/Veterans Affairs Medical Center, New York, New York 10016, USA
Cancer Res 61:7642-6. 2001..HDM2 amplification occurs infrequently, and other mechanisms that up-regulate HDM2 expression are under investigation...
- Alterations of mismatch repair protein expression in benign melanocytic nevi, melanocytic dysplastic nevi, and cutaneous malignant melanomasM R Hussein
Institute of Pathology, Case Western Reserve University, Cleveland, Ohio 44106, USA
Am J Dermatopathol 23:308-14. 2001..Thus, an important finding of these studies was the reduction of MMR protein levels in CMMs; whether this reflects underlying genetic or epigenetic mechanisms is still to be determined...
- Protein expression of melanocyte growth factors (bFGF, SCF) and their receptors (FGFR-1, c-kit) in nevi and melanomaK A Giehl
Department of Dermatology, Ludwig Maximilian University of Munich, Munich, Germany
J Cutan Pathol 34:7-14. 2007..Because both factors may be involved in melanoma development, the expression of bFGF/FGFR-1 and SCF/c-kit was investigated in melanocytic tumors of different progression stages...
- A new concept of melanocytic neoplasia pathogenesis based on the phenotype of common acquired neviAnna Batistatou
Department of Pathology, University of Ioannina Medical School, University Campus, P O Box 1186, 451 10 Ioannina, Greece
Med Hypotheses 69:1334-9. 2007....
- Interphase cytogenetic analysis of 1q12 satellite III DNA in melanocytic lesions: increased aneuploidy with malignant histologyJ D Lee
Department of Dermatology, Medical University of South Carolina, 96 Jonathan Lucas, Charleston, SC 29425, USA
Am J Dermatopathol 23:176-80. 2001....
- Dermatological perspectives of malignant melanomaSusan M Swetter
Department of Dermatology, Stanford University Medical Center Veteran Affairs Palo Alto Health Care System and Stanford Multidisciplinary Melanoma Clinic, 900 Blake Wilbur Drive, W0069, Stanford, CA 94305, USA
Surg Clin North Am 83:77-95, vi. 2003..Nationwide skin cancer screenings by dermatologists and greater public awareness of the warning signs of melanoma have enhanced detection of early melanoma, and promoted chances for cure...
- Immunohistochemical localization of melanoma-associated antigen p94 kd200 with the use of a modified avidin-biotin-complex lectin methodS Garnis-Jones
Department of Medicine, University of British Columbia, Vancouver, Canada
Tumori 73:451-5. 1987....
- Melanocytes, moles and melanoma--a study on UV effectsU Stierner
Department of Oncology, Sahlgrenska Hospital, University of Goteborg, Sweden
Acta Derm Venereol Suppl (Stockh) 168:1-31. 1991To investigate the UV effect on epidermal melanocytes, 21 volunteers and 11 patients with dysplastic nevus syndrome (DNS) received UVB irradiation three times weekly during 17 days...
- Promoting prevention and early recognition of malignant melanomaRachel Torrens
Jefferson School of Nursing, Thomas Jefferson University, Jefferson College of Health Professions, Philadelphia, PA, USA
Dermatol Nurs 21:115-22; quiz 123. 2009..If practitioners can skillfully utilize these tools, then a significant achievement against the progression of malignant..
- Sunburn, sunscreens, and phenotypes: some risk factors for cutaneous melanoma in southern BrazilLucio Bakos
Service of Dermatology, Hospital de Clinicas, Federal University of Rio Grande do Sul, Porto Alegre, Brazil
Int J Dermatol 41:557-62. 2002..There are no published studies on the risk factors for this malignancy in Brazil, the largest country in South America...
- Influence of genes, nevi, and sun sensitivity on melanoma risk in a family sample unselected by family history and in melanoma-prone familiesValerie Chaudru
Institut National de la Santé et Recherche Médicale et Université d Evry, Evry, France
J Natl Cancer Inst 96:785-95. 2004..We assessed the role of these factors on melanoma risk in two types of families: families ascertained through melanoma probands but unselected by family history and melanoma-prone families...
- Cyclin D1 and D3 expression in melanocytic skin lesionsAna Alekseenko
Department of Dermatology, Jagiellonian University Medical College, Krakow, Poland
Arch Dermatol Res 302:545-50. 2010..In histopathologically ambiguous cases, lower cyclin D3 expression in dysplastic nevi can be a diagnostic marker for that lesion type...
- PTEN expression in normal skin, acquired melanocytic nevi, and cutaneous melanomaHensin Tsao
Department of Dermatology, Massachusetts General Hospital, Boston 02114, USA
J Am Acad Dermatol 49:865-72. 2003....
- Different patterns of expression of the erbB family of receptor tyrosine kinases in common nevi, dysplastic nevi, and primary malignant melanomas: an immunohistochemical studyMeora Feinmesser
Departments of Pathology, Rabin Medical Center, Petah Tiqwa, Israel
Am J Dermatopathol 32:665-75. 2010..Receptor expression seems to decrease and to become less mature and orderly with tumor progression. The complex patterns of erbB receptor expression in melanocytic lesions warrant further investigation...
- Comparison of pHH3, Ki-67, and survivin immunoreactivity in benign and malignant melanocytic lesionsMichel R Nasr
Department of Pathology, State University of New York Upstate Medical University, Syracuse, NY, USA
Am J Dermatopathol 30:117-22. 2008..pHH3 and Ki-67 can be useful adjuncts to histopathology to separate malignant melanoma from benign nevi. pHH3 is especially useful to highlight mitoses and to rapidly assess the mitotic activity in melanocytic lesions...
- Correlation of dermoscopy with in vivo reflectance confocal microscopy of streaks in melanocytic lesionsAlon Scope
Dermatology Service, Department of Medicine, Memorial Sloan Kettering Cancer Center, 160 E 53rd St, New York, NY 10022, USA
Arch Dermatol 143:727-34. 2007..To analyze dermoscopically identified streaks by direct correlation with features visualized on reflectance confocal microscopy (RCM)...
- Alteration of chromosome 9p21 and/or p16 in benign and dysplastic nevi suggests a role in early melanoma progression (United States)Tina P Tran
Department of Anatomy, Virginia Commonwealth University, Richmond, USA
Cancer Causes Control 13:675-82. 2002..The goal of this work was to discover if p16/9p21 alterations occur early in precursor lesions as well as related sporadic melanomas...
- Deep shave excision of macular melanocytic nevi with the razor blade biopsy techniqueT Gambichler
Department of Dermatology, Ruhr University of Bochum, Bochum, Germany
Dermatol Surg 26:662-6. 2000..Usually superficial shave excision is performed with a common scalpel blade for the removal of papular nevi. However, there is little known about deep shave excision of macular melanocytic nevi with the razor blade technique...
- The role of vascular endothelial growth factors and their receptors in malignant melanomasS Brychtova
Laboratory of Molecular Pathology and Department of Pathology, Faculty of Medicine and Dentistry, Palacky University, Olomouc, Czech Republic
Neoplasma 55:273-9. 2008..The protein expression in the tumor microenvironment highlights their importance in malignant stromal phenotype which may serve as a potential target for the anticancer therapy...
- A two-year regional program for the early detection of cutaneous melanomaAndrea Veronesi
Division of Medical Oncology C, Oncology Prevention, Centro di Riferimento Oncologico, Aviano, Italy
Tumori 89:1-5. 2003....
- Association of MC1R variants and risk of melanoma in melanoma-prone families with CDKN2A mutationsAlisa M Goldstein
Genetic Epidemiology Branch, Division of Cancer Epidemiology and Genetics, National Cancer Institute, Bethesda, MD 20892 7236, USA
Cancer Epidemiol Biomarkers Prev 14:2208-12. 2005..Additional studies are needed to confirm these findings and to explore the mechanisms that may contribute to this relationship...
- Cdc7 expression in melanomas, Spitz tumors and melanocytic neviLoren E Clarke
Department of Pathology, Penn State Milton S Hershey Medical Center College of Medicine, Hershey, PA 17033, USA
J Cutan Pathol 36:433-8. 2009..Cdc7 is a serine-threonine kinase required for initiation of DNA replication that may play a role in the development and progression of melanoma...
- Correlation of dermoscopic structures of melanocytic lesions to reflectance confocal microscopyAlon Scope
Dermatology Service, Department of Medicine, Memorial Sloan Kettering Cancer Center, New York, NY 10022, USA
Arch Dermatol 143:176-85. 2007..To determine the utility of reflectance confocal microscopy (RCM) in the in vivo evaluation of dermoscopic structures of melanocytic lesions...
- A basis function feature-based approach for skin lesion discrimination in dermatology dermoscopy imagesR Joe Stanley
Department of Electrical and Computer Engineering, Missouri University of Science and Technology, Rolla, MO 65409 0040, USA
Skin Res Technol 14:425-35. 2008....
- The T1796A mutation of the BRAF gene is absent in Spitz neviGabriele Palmedo
Dermatopathologische Gemeinschaftspraxis, Friedrichshafen, Germany
J Cutan Pathol 31:266-70. 2004..The T1796A mutation has been shown to promote cell proliferation...
- Cell surface antigens of human melanocytes and melanoma. Expression of adenosine deaminase binding protein is extinguished with melanocyte transformationA N Houghton
Memorial Sloan Kettering Cancer Center, New York 10021
J Exp Med 167:197-212. 1988..These studies demonstrate that ADAbp expression is lost with malignant transformation of melanocytes, presumably at an early stage in the transformation process...
- Evidence for differential expression of Notch receptors and their ligands in melanocytic nevi and cutaneous malignant melanomaDaniela Massi
Department of Human Pathology and Oncology, University of Florence, Florence, Italy
Mod Pathol 19:246-54. 2006..These results indicate that the activation of Notch may represent an early event in melanocytic tumor growth and upregulation of Notch signaling may sustain tumor progression...
- Oral mucosal melanoma: epidemiology and pathobiologyM J Hicks
Director of Surgical and Ultrastructural Pathology, Department of Pathology, MC1 2261, Baylor College of Medicine, Texas Childrens Hospital, 6621 Fannin Street, Houston, TX 77030 2399, USA
Oral Oncol 36:152-69. 2000....
- Expression of the embryonic morphogen Nodal in cutaneous melanocytic lesionsLimin Yu
Department of Pathology, University of Michigan, Ann Arbor, Michigan 48109 0602, USA
Mod Pathol 23:1209-14. 2010..05). The low expression of Nodal in normal and dysplastic nevi, and its increasing expression with the progression of malignant lesions, are suggestive of a role for Nodal in melanoma progression...
- Uveal melanoma in young patientsA D Singh
Oncology Service, Wills Eye Hospital, 900 Walnut St, Philadelphia, PA 19107, USA
Arch Ophthalmol 118:918-23. 2000..To study the clinical profile of young patients with uveal melanoma...
- Tumor progression, early diagnosis and prognosis of melanomaD Elder
Department of Pathology and Laboratory Medicine, University of Pennsylvania School of Medicine, Philadelphia, USA
Acta Oncol 38:535-47. 1999..The tumor progression model presented here has been of value in the development of more accurate prognostic models, and in the elucidation of mechanisms of the malignant phenotype in melanoma...
- Plk1-Numb Cooperation in MelanomagenesisNihal Ahmad; Fiscal Year: 2013..Our proposed study may lead to identification of novel strategies for the management of this deadly neoplasm. ..
- B-RAF Regulation of the Cell Cycle in MelanomaAndrew E Aplin; Fiscal Year: 2013..At the completion of our experiments, we aim to have identified new targets for therapeutic intervention to prevent aberrant melanoma cell proliferation. ..
- Functional Analysis of Galectin-1 Ligands in Melanoma ProgressionCharles J Dimitroff; Fiscal Year: 2013..Importantly, our findings will provide novel molecular insights into the glyco-histopathology of melanomas, while offering new glycomic targets for predicting malignancy and/or clinical outcome. ..
- Development of a Melanoma Chemoprevention ModelChristopher D Lao; Fiscal Year: 2010..This line of investigation will help determine the importance of NF-kB and 12-LOX in melanoma carcinogenesis and provide an infrastructure for rapid testing of putative Chemoprevention agents and biomarkers in the future. ..
- Targeting IKK beta and aurora kinases in melanomaAnn Richmond; Fiscal Year: 2013..The data derived from this proposal will provide key insights for better design of clinical trials for melanoma patients which should positively impact our Veteran population. ..
- Accuracy in the Diagnosis of Melanoma &the Impact of Double ReadingJoann G Elmore; Fiscal Year: 2013..Finally, we will use a model-based analysis to make projections from our data to the clinical implications of inaccurate diagnoses at the U.S. population level. ..
- MOLECULAR EPIDEMIOLOGY OF DNA REPAIR IN MELANOMAQingyi Wei; Fiscal Year: 2000..The long-term goal of this study is to identify susceptibility markers for the assessment of CMM risk and to identify individuals at high risk of CMM for future cancer-prevention programs. ..
- PREDICTION AND MODIFICATION OF MELANOMA RISKDuPont Guerry; Fiscal Year: 2000..For more than 20 years the PLCC has ascertained and tracked over 4000 melanoma patients. ..
- MELANOMA SCREENING BY COMPUTER DETECTION OF SKIN CHANGESDOUGLAS PEREDNIA; Fiscal Year: 1993..Unfortunately, current methods of melanoma screening are often inadequate. Patients with the dysplastic nevus syndrome and/or many moles are at highest risk, but are also those most difficult to assess...
- CHEMOPREVENTION OF HUMAN MELANOMAFrank Meyskens; Fiscal Year: 1991..Subsequently, a randomized phase III chemoprevention trial will be proposed using individuals at high risk for CMM...
- GENE PROBES IN THE FAMMMHenry Lynch; Fiscal Year: 1990..Given the technology available to us, this may lead to the identification of the deleterious gene...
- PATHOLOGY AND MECHANISM OF MELANOMA CELL MIGRATIONHUGH BYERS; Fiscal Year: 1991....
- ECOGENETICS OF PANCREATIC CANCER--FAMILY REGISTRYJohn Mulvihill; Fiscal Year: 2000..g., hereditary pancreatitis, hereditary dysplastic nevus syndrome, hereditary nonpolyposis colorectal cancer, hereditary heart and ovarian cancer due to BRCA2, and the Li-..
- Detection of Melanoma by Mesoscopic Spectral ImagingDorothea Becker; Fiscal Year: 2003..In patients with familial melanoma and/or Dysplastic Nevus Syndrome (DNS) and likewise, in patients who have a clinical history of sporadic melanoma and numerous atypical ..
- Topical Retinoids for Chemoprevention of MelanomaMAURIZIO CATTANEO; Fiscal Year: 2004..abstract_text> ..
- CONTROLLED PERCUTANEOUS DELIVERY OF RETINOIDSMAURIZIO CATTANEO; Fiscal Year: 2000..The use of a natural biodegradable biopolymer with proven safety track record in cosmetic products is expected to provide a better alternative to the current use of synthetic polymers for the topical delivery of ATRA. ..
- BIOLOGY AND CHEMOPREVENTION OF MELANOMA IN NEVUS GRAFTSLaurence Meyer; Fiscal Year: 1991....
- ALTERATIONS OF CELL CYCLE CONTROL IN MELANOCYTIC LESIONSDavid Polsky; Fiscal Year: 2003..abstract_text> ..
- VALIDATION OF TRANSILLUMINATION AND THE NEVOSCOPENizar Mullani; Fiscal Year: 1999..The commercial goal of Translite is to significantly lower the price of a hand-held Nevoscope device that can be easily afforded by most physicians." PROPOSED COMMERCIAL APPLICATION: NOT AVAILABLE ..
- PHENOTYPIC AND PSYCHOSOCIAL STUDY OF THE L1307K MUTATIONHenry Lynch; Fiscal Year: 2004....
- The Secondary Prevention of MelanomaSusan Oliveria; Fiscal Year: 2007..abstract_text> ..
- Thyroid Stimulating Hormone Promotes the Growth and Progression of Human MelanomaJulie Ellerhorst; Fiscal Year: 2008..Furthermore, melanoma cases may be prevented by heightened surveillance of individuals with a history of hypothyroidism. [unreadable] [unreadable] [unreadable]..
- Nucleotide Excision Repair in Cutaneous MelanomaHensin Tsao; Fiscal Year: 2007..Dr. Tsao is committed to the study of cutaneous melanoma and the career development activities outlined in this application will allow him to become fully independent. ..
- TRH Production and Regulation by Human MelanomaJulie Ellerhorst; Fiscal Year: 2006..In Specific Aim #2, cell lines will be used for in vitro studies to determine if one or more of the mechanisms of hypothalamic TRH regulation are relevant to the control of TRH production by melanoma cells. [unreadable] [unreadable]..
- Autoimmune Mechanisms in the Response to Renal CancerJulie Ellerhorst; Fiscal Year: 2006..These data will be clinically useful in predicting outcomes of RCC patients, as well as in the understanding of basic mechanisms of host-derived tumor control. ..
- Molecular Epidemiology of Smoking & Breast CancerKATHLEEN CONWAY DORSEY; Fiscal Year: 2005..If breast cancer can be attributed, in part, to cigarette smoking, then smoking prevention or cessation should reduce exposure and thus decrease the incidence of breast cancer. ..
- Non-viral Cutaneous Gene DeliveryMohammed Kashani Sabet; Fiscal Year: 2005..We will determine whether efficient expression of the XPC gene in mice will alter the response to UV-mediated DNA damage. ..
- MELANOMA AND ALLELIC VARIATION IN THE MCIR GENEPeter Kanetsky; Fiscal Year: 2005..Result from this project may provide valuable insight into the genetic predisposition to melanoma seen in some families, and may lead to more efficient mechanisms of primary prevention and clinical follow-up within these families. ..