Genomes and Genes
Summary: Any fluid-filled closed cavity or sac that is lined by an EPITHELIUM. Cysts can be of normal, abnormal, non-neoplastic, or neoplastic tissues.
Articles from Journal RESEARCH
Articles from Journal RESEARCH1
Publications346 found, 100 shown here
- Pathological features of renal neoplasms classified by size and symptomatologyBruce Schlomer
Division of Urology, Washington University School of Medicine, St Louis, Missouri 63110, USA
J Urol 176:1317-20; discussion 1320. 2006..We examined the relationship between tumor size and pathological findings in a contemporary series of surgical renal lesions and we characterized the relationship of incidental and symptomatic tumors to pathological findings...
- Mutations in PRKCSH cause isolated autosomal dominant polycystic liver diseaseAirong Li
Department of Internal Medicine, Yale University School of Medicine, New Haven, CT 06519, USA
Am J Hum Genet 72:691-703. 2003..In light of the focal nature of liver cysts in ADPLD, the apparent loss-of-function mutations in PRKCSH, and the two-hit mechanism operational in dominant ..
- The beta1 subunit of the Na,K-ATPase pump interacts with megalencephalic leucoencephalopathy with subcortical cysts protein 1 (MLC1) in brain astrocytes: new insights into MLC pathogenesisMaria S Brignone
Department of Cell Biology and Neuroscience, Istituto Superiore di Sanita, Rome, Italy
Hum Mol Genet 20:90-103. 2011Megalencephalic leucoencephalopathy with subcortical cysts (MLC) is a rare congenital leucodystrophy caused by mutations in MLC1, a membrane protein of unknown function...
- Pulmonary cysts of Birt-Hogg-Dubé syndrome: a clinicopathologic and immunohistochemical study of 9 familiesMitsuko Furuya
Department of Molecular Pathology, Yokohama City University Graduate School of Medicine, Yokohama, Japan
Am J Surg Pathol 36:589-600. 2012..BHD) syndrome is an autosomal dominant disorder characterized by fibrofolliculomas, renal tumors, and pulmonary cysts with recurrent pneumothorax...
- Characteristics of pulmonary cysts in Birt-Hogg-Dubé syndrome: thin-section CT findings of the chest in 12 patientsKazunori Tobino
Department of Respiratory Medicine, Juntendo University, School of Medicine, 2 1 1 Hongo, Bunkyo ku, Tokyo 113 8421, Japan
Eur J Radiol 77:403-9. 2011..To describe in detail the characteristic chest computed tomography (CT) findings of Birt-Hogg-Dubé (BHD) syndrome...
- Pkd1 and Nek8 mutations affect cell-cell adhesion and cilia in cysts formed in kidney organ culturesThomas A Natoli
Department of Cell Biology, Genzyme Corporation, 5 Mountain Rd, Framingham, MA 01701 9322, USA
Am J Physiol Renal Physiol 294:F73-83. 2008..Therefore, embryonic kidney organ culture represents a relevant model for studying molecular cystogenesis and a rapid tool for the screening for therapies that block cystic growth...
- Carbohydrate antigen 19-9 is extremely elevated in polycystic liver diseaseEsmé Waanders
Department of Gastroenterology and Hepatology, Radboud University Nijmegen Medical Center, Nijmegen, The Netherlands
Liver Int 29:1389-95. 2009..We examined the value of CA19-9 measurement in polycystic livers after observing high CA19-9 cyst fluid levels in a benign polycystic liver case...
- Secondary, somatic mutations might promote cyst formation in patients with autosomal dominant polycystic liver diseaseManoe J Janssen
Department of Gastroenterology and Hepatology, Institute for Genetic and Metabolic Disease, Radboud University Nijmegen Medical Centre, Nijmegen, The Netherlands
Gastroenterology 141:2056-2063.e2. 2011..We investigated whether mutations in cyst epithelial cells and corresponding loss of the PRKCSH gene product (hepatocystin) contributed to cyst development...
- Intracranial cysts: radiologic-pathologic correlation and imaging approachAnne G Osborn
Department of Radiology, University of Utah Medical Center, Salt Lake City, Utah 84103, USA
Radiology 239:650-64. 2006b>Cysts and cystic-appearing intracranial masses have a broad imaging and pathologic spectra. The authors review the pathologic findings, origin, radiologic appearance, and differential diagnosis of many different intracranial cysts...
- Diffuse cystic lung disease at high-resolution CTDanielle M Seaman
Department of Radiology, Duke University Medical Center, Box 3808 DUMC, Durham, NC 27710, USA
AJR Am J Roentgenol 196:1305-11. 2011This article will illustrate and describe the spectrum of diseases associated with air cysts at high-resolution CT (HRCT).
- Lung cysts in Birt-Hogg-Dubé syndrome: histopathological characteristics and aberrant sequence repeatsShunsuke Koga
Department of Pathology, Chiba University Hospital, Chiba, Japan
Pathol Int 59:720-8. 2009..The affected patients are predisposed to cutaneous fibrofolliculomas, renal cell tumors and lung cysts with recurrent pneumothorax...
- Mutations in CTC1, encoding the CTS telomere maintenance complex component 1, cause cerebroretinal microangiopathy with calcifications and cystsAnne Polvi
Folkhalsan Institute of Genetics, Helsinki, Finland
Am J Hum Genet 90:540-9. 2012Cerebroretinal microangiopathy with calcifications and cysts (CRMCC) is a rare multisystem disorder characterized by extensive intracranial calcifications and cysts, leukoencephalopathy, and retinal vascular abnormalities...
- Papillary adenocarcinoma arising in a duplication of the cecumJiwon Lee
Department of Radiology, Kangwon National University College of Medicine, 192 1 Hyoja 2 Dong, Chuncheon si, Kangwon Do, 200 701, South Korea
Abdom Imaging 33:601-3. 2008..We describe a papillary adenocarcinoma, arising from a duplication of the colon, seen as a cyst with an enhancing papillary projection nodule located adjacent to the wall of the ascending colon and cecum on computed tomography...
- Mutant GlialCAM causes megalencephalic leukoencephalopathy with subcortical cysts, benign familial macrocephaly, and macrocephaly with retardation and autismTania López-Hernández
Seccion de Fisiologia, Departamento de Ciencias Fisiologicas II, University of Barcelona, 08907 Barcelona, Spain
Am J Hum Genet 88:422-32. 2011Megalencephalic leukoencephalopathy with subcortical cysts (MLC) is a leukodystrophy characterized by early-onset macrocephaly and delayed-onset neurological deterioration...
- Megalencephalic leucoencephalopathy with cysts: defect in chloride currents and cell volume regulationMargreet C Ridder
Department of Child Neurology, VU University Medical Center, 1081 HV Amsterdam, The Netherlands
Brain 134:3342-54. 2011Megalencephalic leucoencephalopathy with subcortical cysts is a genetic brain disorder with onset in early childhood...
- Systems biology of autosomal dominant polycystic kidney disease (ADPKD): computational identification of gene expression pathways and integrated regulatory networksXuewen Song
Division of Nephrology, University Health Network, McMaster University, Hamilton, Ontario, Canada
Hum Mol Genet 18:2328-43. 2009To elucidate the molecular pathways that modulate renal cyst growth in ADPKD, we performed global gene profiling on cysts of different size (<1 ml, n = 5; 10-20 ml, n = 5; >50 ml, n = 3) and minimally cystic tissue (MCT, n = 5) ..
- Renal injury is a third hit promoting rapid development of adult polycystic kidney diseaseAyumi Takakura
Renal Division, Department of Medicine, Brigham and Women s Hospital and Harvard Medical School, 4 Blackfan Circle, Boston, MA 02115, USA
Hum Mol Genet 18:2523-31. 2009..An explanation for the delayed appearance of cysts is the requirement for an additional independent factor, or 'third hit'...
- Clinical profile of autosomal dominant polycystic liver diseaseQi Qian
Division of Nephrology, Mayo Clinic, Rochester, MN, USA
Hepatology 37:164-71. 2003..Female patients had a significantly higher mean cyst score than male patients. The cysts were found to arise from the dilatation of biliary microhamartomas and from peribiliary glands...
- Orbital cysts of childhood--classification, clinical features, and managementJerry A Shields
Oncology Service, Wills Eye Hospital, Thomas Jefferson University, Philadelphia, Pennsylvania 19107, USA
Surv Ophthalmol 49:281-99. 2004There is little in the literature about the clinical spectrum of orbital cysts of childhood and no comprehensive classification has been proposed...
- A genetic interaction network of five genes for human polycystic kidney and liver diseases defines polycystin-1 as the central determinant of cyst formationSorin V Fedeles
Department of Internal Medicine, Yale University School of Medicine, New Haven, Connecticut, USA
Nat Genet 43:639-47. 2011....
- Mutations of MLC1 (KIAA0027), encoding a putative membrane protein, cause megalencephalic leukoencephalopathy with subcortical cystsP A Leegwater
Department of Clinical Chemistry, Free University Medical Center, 1007 MB Amsterdam, The Netherlands
Am J Hum Genet 68:831-8. 2001Megalencephalic leukoencephalopathy with subcortical cysts (MLC) is an autosomal recessive disorder characterized by macrocephaly, deterioration of motor functions with ataxia, and spasticity, eventuating in mental decline...
- Birt-Hogg-Dubé syndrome: diagnosis and managementFred H Menko
Department of Clinical Genetics, VU University Medical Centre, Amsterdam, The Netherlands
Lancet Oncol 10:1199-206. 2009..syndrome (BHD) is an autosomal dominant condition characterised clinically by skin fibrofolliculomas, pulmonary cysts, spontaneous pneumothorax, and renal cancer...
- Microsurgical treatment of symptomatic sacral Tarlov cystsP V Mummaneni
Department of Neurological Surgery, University of California, San Francisco, School of Medicine, 94143 0112, USA
Neurosurgery 47:74-8; discussion 78-9. 2000Providing relief of symptomatic radiculopathy resulting from sacral perineural cysts has proven difficult...
- De novo interstitial deletion of 1q32.2-q32.3 including the entire IRF6 gene in a patient with oral cleft and other dysmorphic featuresI Salahshourifar
Human Genome Center, Universiti Sains Malaysia, Kubang Kerian, Malaysia
Cytogenet Genome Res 134:83-7. 2011..The extent of the deletion and the genotype-phenotype correlation are 2 crucial issues...
- Efficacy of diffusion-weighted magnetic resonance imaging in detecting infected cysts in a case of polycystic kidney diseaseK Katano
Department of Internal Medicine, Saiseikai Kanazawa Hospital, Kanazawa, Ishikawa, Japan
Clin Nephrol 75:24-6. 2011..In many cases, drainage of infected cysts is necessary, although accurate detection of infected cysts from among the numerous hepatic or renal cysts present ..
- Birt-Hogg-Dubé syndrome with multiple cysts and recurrent pneumothorax: pathological findingsMakoto Hayashi
Department of Respiratory Medicine, Saitama Cardiovascular and Respiratory Center, Kumagaya
Intern Med 49:2137-42. 2010..BHD syndrome should be considered in patients presenting with multiple pulmonary cysts with or without skin eruption, or kidney tumor.
- Fibropolycystic liver disease: CT and MR imaging findingsGiuseppe Brancatelli
Department of Radiology, University of Palermo, Italy
Radiographics 25:659-70. 2005..hepatic fibrosis, biliary hamartomas, autosomal dominant polycystic disease, Caroli disease, choledochal cysts) can be clinically silent or can cause signs and symptoms such as cholangitis, portal hypertension, ..
- Sclerotherapy for simple cysts with use of ethanolamine oleate: preliminary experienceKiyosei Yamamoto
Department of Radiology, Nara Medical University, Kashihara, Nara, Japan
Cardiovasc Intervent Radiol 28:751-5. 2005..Seven patients with symptomatic hepatic (n = 3) or renal cysts (n = 4) were treated by sclerotherapy with EO. The cyst size in the greater diameter ranged from 6 to 13 cm...
- Laparoscopic fenestration vs open fenestration in patients with congenital hepatic cysts: a meta-analysisJian Guo Qiu
Department of Hepatobiliary Pancreatic Surgery, West China Hospital, Sichuan University, Chengdu 610041, Sichuan Province, China
World J Gastroenterol 17:3359-65. 2011To determine whether the outcomes of laparoscopic fenestration (LF) were superior to open fenestration (OF) for congenital liver cysts.
- Intraductal tubulopapillary neoplasm of the bile duct: potential origin from peribiliary cystsYoh Zen
Institute of Liver Studies, King s College Hospital, London SE5 9RS, UK
Hum Pathol 43:440-5. 2012..The other patient had liver transplantation for cryptogenic cirrhosis and multiple hilar cysts detected in the explanted liver, some obliterated by papillary nodules...
- Adenocarcinoma arising from a gastric duplication cyst with invasion to the stomach: a case report with literature reviewK Kuraoka
Department of Molecular Pathology, Hiroshima University Graduate School of Biomedical Sciences, 1 2 3 Kasumi, Minami Ku, Hiroshima, 734 8551, Japan
J Clin Pathol 57:428-31. 2004..Duplication cysts should be included in the differential diagnosis of cystic masses of the gastrointestinal tract, and the ..
- Macular cysts in retinal dystrophyAnuradha Ganesh
Pediatric Ophthalmology and Ocular Genetics, Wills Eye Institute, Philadelphia, Pennsylvania 19107 5109, USA
Curr Opin Ophthalmol 22:332-9. 2011To describe the entity of macular cysts in retinal dystrophy, differentiate it from cystoid macular edema (CME), and review the role of carbonic anhydrase inhibitors in management.
- Diffuse lung cysts in lymphoid interstitial pneumonia: high-resolution CT and pathologic findingsC Isabela S Silva
Department of Radiology, Vancouver General Hospital, University of British Columbia 899 West 12th Avenue, Vancouver, BC, Canada
J Thorac Imaging 21:241-4. 2006..centrilobular nodules, bronchovascular thickening, interlobular septal thickening, and scattered thin-walled cysts. The cysts may be seen in up to 80% of the patients and are typically few in number and measure less than 3 cm in ..
- Clinical features of cyst infection and hemorrhage in ADPKD: new diagnostic criteriaTatsuya Suwabe
Department of Nephrology, Toranomon Hospital Kajigaya, 1 3 1 Kajigaya, Takatsu ku, Kawasaki, Kanagawa 213 0015, Japan
Clin Exp Nephrol 16:892-902. 2012..The second objective is to establish diagnostic criteria for ADPKD patients with cyst infection or cyst hemorrhage...
- Megalencephalic leukoencephalopathy with subcortical cysts protein 1 functionally cooperates with the TRPV4 cation channel to activate the response of astrocytes to osmotic stress: dysregulation by pathological mutationsAngela Lanciotti
Department of Cell Biology and Neuroscience, Istituto Superiore di Sanita, Viale Regina Elena 299, Rome 00161, Italy
Hum Mol Genet 21:2166-80. 2012Megalencephalic leukoencephalopathy with subcortical cysts (MLC), a rare leukodystrophy characterized by macrocephaly, subcortical fluid cysts and myelin vacuolation, has been linked to mutations in the MLC1 gene...
- Temporal and spatial distribution of Toxoplasma gondii differentiation into Bradyzoites and tissue cyst formation in vivoManlio Di Cristina
Department of Experimental Medicine and Biochemical Sciences, University of Perugia, Via del Giochetto, 06122 Perugia, Italy
Infect Immun 76:3491-501. 2008..of the multiplying parasites, the tachyzoites, converts into bradyzoites, a dormant stage, which form tissue cysts localized mainly in brain, heart, and skeletal muscles that persist for several years after infection...
- Role of fenestration and resection for symptomatic solitary liver cystsYu Meng Tan
Hepatobiliary Unit, Department of Surgery, Singapore General Hospital, Singapore
ANZ J Surg 75:577-80. 2005Symptomatic liver cysts can be managed surgically by fenestration or by hepatic resection. The present study was designed to investigate the current role of each surgical technique in the management of this benign condition.
- Formation of cysts by principal-like MDCK cells depends on the synergy of cAMP- and ATP-mediated fluid secretionBjoern Buchholz
Department of Nephrology and Hypertension, Friedrich Alexander University of Erlangen Nuremberg, Erlangen, Germany
J Mol Med (Berl) 89:251-61. 2011It has been suggested that more than 70% of the renal cysts in patients with autosomal dominant polycystic kidney disease (ADPKD) arise from the collecting duct and that within this segment cysts originate almost exclusively from ..
- Extensive mutational analysis of PRKCSH and SEC63 broadens the spectrum of polycystic liver diseaseEsmé Waanders
Department of Gastroenterology and Hepatology, Radboud University Nijmegen Medical Center, Nijmegen, The Netherlands
Hum Mutat 27:830. 2006..dominant polycystic liver disease (PCLD) is characterized by progressive development of multiple (> 20) liver cysts. Two separate genes, PRKCSH and SEC63, have been identified to cause familial PCLD...
- Effects of angiogenic factor overexpression by human and rodent cholangiocytes in polycystic liver diseasesLuca Fabris
Center for Liver Research, Gastroenterology Division, Ospedali Riuniti, Bergamo, Italy
Hepatology 43:1001-12. 2006..disease (ADPKD) is characterized by altered remodeling of the embryonic ductal plate (DP) with presence of biliary cysts and aberrant portal vasculature...
- Morphological and biochemical analysis of Rac1 in three-dimensional epithelial cell culturesLucy Erin O'Brien
Department of Molecular and Cell Biology, University of California, Berkeley, CA, USA
Methods Enzymol 406:676-91. 2006..These protocols enable the regulation of epithelial morphogenesis to be explored at a detailed molecular level...
- Chitinase dependent control of protozoan cyst burden in the brainJ Philip Nance
Division of Biomedical Sciences, University of California, Riverside, California, United States of America
PLoS Pathog 8:e1002990. 2012..In the case of Toxoplasma gondii, these cysts are predominantly found in the immune protected brain making clearance of the parasite more difficult and ..
- Foregut duplication cyst of the stomach with pseudostratified columnar ciliated epitheliumShigeki Murakami
Department of Surgery, Oomoto Hospital, Okayama, Japan
Pathol Int 58:187-90. 2008..The gastric cancer consisted of moderately differentiated adenocarcinoma with submucosal invasion and lymph node metastasis. Consequently, the present patient was diagnosed as having foregut duplication cyst of the stomach...
- New observations on meniscal cystsJada Jean Anderson
Duke University Medical Center, Durham, NC, USA
Skeletal Radiol 39:1187-91. 2010The purpose of this study was to determine the incidence of meniscal cysts, assess the frequency of various magnetic resonance (MR) imaging characteristics, and emphasize radiographic observations not commonly reported.
- Texture-based classification of focal liver lesions on MRI at 3.0 Tesla: a feasibility study in cysts and hemangiomasMarius E Mayerhoefer
Department of Radiology, MR Center, Medical University of Vienna, Vienna, Austria
J Magn Reson Imaging 32:352-9. 2010To determine the feasibility of texture analysis for the classification of liver cysts and hemangiomas, on nonenhanced, zero-fill interpolated T1- and T2-weighted MR images.
- Cysts, cavities, and honeycombing in multisystem disorders: differential diagnosis and findings on thin-section CTL A Grant
Department of Radiology, Addenbrooke s Hospital, Cambridge, UK
Clin Radiol 64:439-48. 2009Pulmonary cysts, cavities, and honeycombing are seen in a number of systemic disorders...
- Characterization of complex renal cysts: a critical evaluation of the Bosniak classificationOle Graumann
Urological Research Center, Department of Urology, Fredericia Hospital, Fredericia, Denmark
Scand J Urol Nephrol 45:84-90. 2011Complex renal cysts represent a major clinical problem, since it is often difficult to exclude malignancy. The Bosniak classification system, based on computed tomography (CT), is widely used to categorize cystic renal lesions...
- Rare potential pitfall in endoscopic ultrasound-guided fine needle aspiration biopsy in gastric duplication cyst: a case reportBo Wang
Department of Pathology, Creighton University Medical Center, Creighton University School of Medicine, Omaha, Nebraska, USA
Acta Cytol 53:219-22. 2009..As endoscopic ultrasound-guided fine needle aspiration biopsy (EUS-FNAB) becomes a preferred and popular procedure, it is imperative for cytopathologists recognize this rare lesion and avoid the diagnostic pitfall...
- Pulmonary features of Birt-Hogg-Dubé syndrome: cystic lesions and pulmonary histiocytomaS Tomassetti
Pulmonary Medicine, GB Morgagni Hospital, Forli, Italy
Respir Med 105:768-74. 2011..to describe clinical, radiologic and pathologic features of lung lesions in Birt-Hogg-Dubè syndrome (BHDS) (MIM 135150)...
- Molecular mechanisms of MLC1 and GLIALCAM mutations in megalencephalic leukoencephalopathy with subcortical cystsTania López-Hernández
Seccion de Fisiologia, IDIBELL Hospital Universitari de Bellvitge, Hospitalet de Llobregat, Universitat de Barcelona, Barcelona, Spain
Hum Mol Genet 20:3266-77. 2011Megalencephalic leukoencephalopathy with subcortical cysts (MLC) is a rare leukodystrophy caused by mutations in MLC1 or GLIALCAM. The GLIALCAM gene product functions as an MLC1 beta-subunit...
- Diffuse cystic lung disease of unexplained cause with coexistent small airway disease: a possible causal relationship?Camilla Rowan
Department of Histopathology, Royal Brompton Hospital, London, UK
Am J Surg Pathol 36:228-34. 2012..The driving factor remains unknown...
- Changing trends in ocular cysticercosis over two decades: an analysis of 118 surgically excised cystsS Madigubba
Department of Pathology, Sarojini Devi Eye Hospital, Hyderabad 500 028, India
Indian J Med Microbiol 25:214-9. 2007..To evaluate the frequency of ocular cysticercosis and to demonstrate the changing trends in localisation of ocular cysticercosis along with a brief review of literature...
- Knockdown of MLC1 in primary astrocytes causes cell vacuolation: a MLC disease cell modelAnna Duarri
Seccion de Fisiologia, Departamento de Ciencias Fisiologicas II, Universidad de Barcelona, Spain
Neurobiol Dis 43:228-38. 2011Megalencephalic leukoencephalopathy with subcortical cysts (MLC) is a rare type of leukodystrophy, in the majority of cases caused by mutations in the MLC1 gene...
- VEGF receptor inhibition blocks liver cyst growth in pkd2(WS25/-) miceClaudia R Amura
Department of Medicine, University of Colorado Health Sciences Center, Denver, USA
Am J Physiol Cell Physiol 293:C419-28. 2007....
- Discal cysts of the lumbar spine: a case reportK Murata
Department of Orthopaedic Surgery, Kyoto City Hospital, Kyoto, Japan
J Orthop Surg (Hong Kong) 15:376-9. 2007Discal cysts--intraspinal cysts communicating with an adjacent intervertebral disc--are an uncommon cause of lumbar radiculopathy. We report a case of discal cyst of the lumbar spine...
- Isospora belli infection: observation of unicellular cysts in mesenteric lymphoid tissues of a Brazilian patient with AIDS and animal inoculationJacob K Frenkel
Department of Biology, Univ of New Mexico, Albuquerque, NM, USA
J Eukaryot Microbiol 50:682-4. 2003We describe the finding of unizoic cysts of Isospora belli in lymphoid tissues of a Brazilian patient with AIDS, and discuss the possibilities of their drug resistance, they being the cause of relapses, and of being an indication for the ..
- Toxoplasma gondii actively inhibits neuronal function in chronically infected miceFahad Haroon
Institut fur Medizinische Mikrobiologie, Otto von Guericke Universitat Magdeburg, Magdeburg, Germany
PLoS ONE 7:e35516. 2012..Under the pressure of the immune response, tachyzoites convert into slow-replicating bradyzoites, which persist as cysts in neurons. Currently, it is unclear whether T...
- Single-incision laparoscopic liver resectionSebastien Gaujoux
Department of Surgery, Memorial Sloan Kettering Cancer Center, 1275 York Avenue, New York, NY 10065, USA
Surg Endosc 25:1489-94. 2011..Various abdominal procedures have already been performed via single-port access, but to date, single-port-access surgery has never been reported for liver resection...
- Cystic parathyroid lesions: functional and nonfunctional parathyroid cystsKelly L McCoy
Department of Surgery, School of Medicine, University of Pittsburgh, Pittsburgh, Pennsylvania 15261, USA
Arch Surg 144:52-6; discussion 56. 2009Functional parathyroid cysts (FPCs) and nonfunctional parathyroid cysts (NPCs) are 2 distinct clinical and histologic entities.
- Differential diagnosis for intrahepatic biliary cystadenoma and hepatic simple cyst: significance of cystic fluid analysis and radiologic findingsHyo Kyung Choi
Department of Medicine, Samsung Medical Center, Sungkyunkwan University School of Medicine, Seoul, Korea
J Clin Gastroenterol 44:289-93. 2010This study evaluated the significance of cystic fluid analysis and radiologic findings in the differential diagnosis of biliary cystadenomas (BCA) and hepatic simple cysts (HSCs).
- The MRI appearance of cystic lesions around the kneeCatherine L McCarthy
Department of Radiology, Nuffield Orthopaedic Centre, Windmill Road, Headington, Oxford, OX3 7LD, UK
Skeletal Radiol 33:187-209. 2004..The anatomical extension, imaging features and clinical significance of meniscal cysts are illustrated...
- Foregut duplication cysts: a report of two cases with emphasis on embryogenesisThaer Khoury
Department of Pathology, Roswell Park Cancer Institute, Buffalo, NY 14263, United States
World J Gastroenterol 17:130-4. 2011..We describe two cases of these cysts, with emphasis on their immunophenotype and embryogenesis...
- [Megalencephalic leucoencephalopathy with subcortical cysts: a study of a Lebanese family and a review of the literature]S Koussa
Service de Neurologie, Hotel Dieu de France, Université Saint Joseph, Beyrouth, Liban
Rev Neurol (Paris) 161:183-91. 2005Megalencephalic leukoencephalopathy with subcortical cysts is a rare disease with autosomal recessive inheritance.
- Regression of both pituitary and ovarian cysts after administration of thyroid hormone in a case of primary hypothyroidismY Yamashita
Second Department of Internal Medicine, Hiroshima University Faculty of Medicine
Intern Med 40:751-5. 2001..5%. After treatment with thyroid hormone, regression of the enlarged pituitary and the ovarian cysts was observed...
- Management of nonparasitic hepatic cystsOscar M Mazza
Hepato Pancreatico Biliary and Liver Transplantation Units, Department of General Surgery, Hospital Italiano, Buenos Aires 1181, Argentina
J Am Coll Surg 209:733-9. 2009The optimal management of nonparasitic hepatic cysts (NPHC) is a topic of debate. The purpose of this study was to evaluate our 17-year experience with NPHC.
- Congenital disorders of glycosylation in hepatology: the example of polycystic liver diseaseManoe J Janssen
Department of Gastroenterology and Hepatology, Institute for Genetic and Metabolic Disease, Radboud University Nijmegen Medical Centre, Nijmegen, The Netherlands
J Hepatol 52:432-40. 2010..PCLD) is a rare progressive disorder characterized by an increased liver volume due to many (>20) fluid-filled cysts of biliary origin...
- A critical developmental switch defines the kinetics of kidney cyst formation after loss of Pkd1Klaus Piontek
Division of Nephrology, Department of Medicine, Johns Hopkins University School of Medicine, Ross 958, 720 Rutland Avenue, Baltimore, Maryland 21205, USA
Nat Med 13:1490-5. 2007..day 13 results in severely cystic kidneys within 3 weeks, whereas inactivation at day 14 and later results in cysts only after 5 months...
- Magnetic resonance imaging evaluation of hepatic cysts in early autosomal-dominant polycystic kidney disease: the Consortium for Radiologic Imaging Studies of Polycystic Kidney Disease cohortKyongtae T Bae
Department of Radiology, Washington University School of Medicine, St Louis, MO 63110, USA
Clin J Am Soc Nephrol 1:64-9. 2006The objective of this study was to investigate the prevalence of hepatic cysts by age and gender in patients with early autosomal-dominant polycystic kidney disease (ADPKD) and to determine whether hepatic cyst volume is related to renal ..
- Incidence of benign pathologic findings at partial nephrectomy for solitary renal mass presumed to be renal cell carcinoma on preoperative imagingAlexander Kutikov
Department of Surgery, Division of Urology, Hospital of the University of Pennsylvania, Philadelphia, Pennsylvania 19104, USA
Urology 68:737-40. 2006..To determine the incidence of benign pathologic findings at partial nephrectomy for a solitary renal lesion when preoperative imaging is reviewed by an experienced team of academic genitourinary radiologists...
- High risk of acute deterioration in patients harboring symptomatic colloid cysts of the third ventriclePhilip C De Witt Hamer
Department of Neurosurgery, University of Amsterdam, The Netherlands
J Neurosurg 96:1041-5. 2002Patients harboring colloid cysts of the third ventricle can present with acute neurological deterioration, or the first indication of the lesion may appear when the patient suddenly dies...
- Lumbar spine intracanalicular discal cysts: two case reportsMichael F Coscia
Orthopaedics Indianapolis, IN 46202, USA
J Spinal Disord Tech 15:431-5. 2002The only previously reported series of lumbar intracanalicular discal cysts, which were termed "intervertebral discal cysts", described Asian male involvement with verification of diagnosis via discography ( 1)...
- Granulomatous encephalitis in a neurologically impaired goat kid associated with degeneration of Neospora caninum tissue cystsL G Corbellini
Department of Pathology, Veterinary Faculty, Universidade Federal do Rio Grande do Sul, RS, Brazil
J Vet Diagn Invest 13:416-9. 2001..Rare multinucleate giant cells were observed adjacent to inflammatory foci. Several tissue cysts with a thick wall that reacted strongly with polyclonal antiserum to N...
- Cystic lymph node metastases of squamous cell carcinoma of Waldeyer's ring originS Regauer
Department of Pathology, University of Graz, Austria
Br J Cancer 79:1437-42. 1999..005) in SCC of the base of the tongue origin. No such association was observed for tonsillar SCC (P = 0.65). The primary mechanism of cyst formation was cystic degeneration...
- Female mouse germ cells form synchronously dividing cystsM E Pepling
Howard Hughes Medical Institute Research Laboratories, Department of Embryology, Carnegie Institution of Washington, Baltimore, MD 21210, USA
Development 125:3323-8. 1998Oocytes from many invertebrates initiate development within distinctive cysts of interconnected cells, which are formed through synchronous divisions of a progenitor cell...
- Complex cystic renal masses: characterization with contrast-enhanced USGiorgio Ascenti
Department of Radiological Sciences, University of Messina, Via Consolare Valeria Gazzi, 98100 Messina, Italy
Radiology 243:158-65. 2007..To prospectively compare contrast material-enhanced ultrasonography (US) with computed tomography (CT) in the classification of complex cystic renal masses with the Bosniak system...
- Sirolimus attenuates disease progression in an orthologous mouse model of human autosomal dominant polycystic kidney diseaseIram Zafar
Division of Renal Diseases and Hypertension, University of Colorado, Aurora, Colorado 80262, USA
Kidney Int 78:754-61. 2010..Western blot analysis of whole kidney lysates and immunohistochemistry of the cysts found that phospho-S6 ribosomal protein, a marker of mTORC1 activity, was increased in Pkd2WS25/- mice and its ..
- Foveal pseudocyst as the first step in macular hole formation: a prospective study by optical coherence tomographyB Haouchine
Department of Ophthalmology, , , , France
Ophthalmology 108:15-22. 2001..Foveal pseudocyst formation may be the result of the incomplete separation of the vitreous cortex at the foveal center and the particular structure of the foveal MÃ¼ller cells...
- Discal cysts of the lumbar spine. Report of five casesMasaharu Nabeta
Department of Orthopaedic Surgery, Eniwa Hospital, Kogane cho, Eniwa, Japan
J Neurosurg Spine 6:85-9. 2007Discal cysts are rare lesions that can result in refractory sciatica. Because they are so rare, their exact origin and details of the clinical manifestations are still unknown. The authors report on five men treated for discal cysts...
- Genetic and biochemical analysis of development in Toxoplasma gondiiJ C Boothroyd
Department of Microbiology and Immunology, Stanford University School of Medicine, CA 94305 5402, USA
Philos Trans R Soc Lond B Biol Sci 352:1347-54. 1997..Chief among the techniques used for these studies are genetics and molecular genetics. Recent progress in these areas is described...
- Sonographic differentiation of partially cystic thyroid nodules: a prospective studyD W Kim
Department of Radiology, Busan Paik Hospital, Inje University School of Medicine, South Korea
AJNR Am J Neuroradiol 31:1961-6. 2010..There is no prospective study related to the sonographic differentiation of malignant PCTN from benign PCTN. This prospective study was designed to evaluate differentiation of benign from malignant PCTNs with thyroid sonography...
- Laparoscopic management of peritoneal endometriosis, endometriotic cysts, and rectovaginal adenomyosisJacques Donnez
Department of Gynecology, Universite Catholique de Louvain, Cliniques Universitaires St Luc, Avenue Hippocrate 10, 1200 Brussels, Belgium
Ann N Y Acad Sci 997:274-81. 2003..In conclusion, peritoneal endometriosis, ovarian endometriosis, and rectovaginal adenomyotic nodules must be considered as three separate entities with different pathogeneses that require a different therapeutic approach...
- Endometriosis as a neurovascular condition: estrous variations in innervation, vascularization, and growth factor content of ectopic endometrial cysts in the ratGuohua Zhang
Program in Neuroscience, Florida State University, Tallahassee, FL 32306 1270, USA
Am J Physiol Regul Integr Comp Physiol 294:R162-71. 2008..is produced in cycling rats by autotransplanting pieces of uterus onto abdominal arteries where they develop into cysts. The surgery induces vaginal and abdominal muscle hyperalgesia, whose severity is greatest in proestrus and nearly ..
- Adrenal cysts: an institutional experienceP V Pradeep
Department of Endocrine Surgery, Sanjay Gandhi Postgraduate Institute of Medical Sciences, Rae Bareillei Road, Lucknow, Uttar Pradesh, 226014, India
World J Surg 30:1817-20. 2006Adrenal cysts are rare clinical entities. We report our institutional experience with adrenal cysts and also assess various management options.
- Diagnostic problems with parasitic and non-parasitic splenic cystsGokhan Adas
Okmeydani Training and Research Hospital, Department of General Surgery, Istanbul, Turkey
BMC Surg 9:9. 2009The splenic cysts constitute a very rare clinical entity. They may occur secondary to trauma or even being more seldom due to parasitic infestations, mainly caused by ecchinocccus granulosus...
- Estrous changes in vaginal nociception in a rat model of endometriosisAngie M Cason
Program in Neuroscience, Florida State University, Tallahassee, FL 32306 1270, USA
Horm Behav 44:123-31. 2003..in which pieces of uterine horn (versus fat in controls) are autotransplanted into the abdomen where they form cysts, reduces fecundity and produces vaginal hyperalgesia...
- Prevalence and size of meniscal cysts, ganglionic cysts, synovial cysts of the popliteal space, fluid-filled bursae, and other fluid collections in asymptomatic knees on MR imagingFrank T C Tschirch
Department of Radiology, Orthopedic University Hospital Balgrist, Forchstrasse 340, Ch 8008 Zurich, Switzerland
AJR Am J Roentgenol 180:1431-6. 2003The purposes of this study were to evaluate the prevalence and determine the size of meniscal cysts, ganglionic cysts, synovial cysts of the popliteal space, fluid-filled bursae, and other fluid collections on MR images of asymptomatic ..
- Foregut duplication cysts of the stomach with respiratory epitheliumTheodosios Theodosopoulos
2nd Department of Surgery, Areteion University Hospital, Athens, Greece
World J Gastroenterol 13:1279-81. 2007Gastrointestinal duplication is a congenital rare disease entity. Gastric duplication cysts seem to appear even more rarely. Herein, two duplications cysts of the stomach in a 46 year-old female patient are presented...
- Case report: laparoendoscopic single-site fenestration of giant hepatic cystKazunori Shibao
Department of Surgery I, School of Medicine, University of Occupational and Environmental Health Japan, Kitakyushu, Japan
Surg Technol Int 20:133-6. 2010..The LESS surgery has been successfully applied to liver fenestration as an available alternative to conventional laparoscopic fenestration. This method is technically feasible and results in superior cosmesis...
- Partial laparoscopic decapsulation of congenital splenic cysts. A medium-term evaluation proves the efficiency in childrenH Till
Department of Pediatric Surgery, Children s Hospital, University of Munich, 4 Lindwurmstrasse, D 80337 Munich, Germany
Surg Endosc 18:626-8. 2004In children, laparoscopic decapsulation of large congenital splenic cysts has occasionally been advocated, but substantial series focusing on its long-term success are still lacking...
- Long-term results after surgical treatment of nonparasitic hepatic cystsF Loehe
Department of Surgery, Klinikum Grosshadern, Ludwig Maximilians University Munich, Marchioninistrasse 15, Munich, Germany
Am J Surg 200:23-31. 2010Studies evaluating surgical success in patients with benign liver cysts focus on cyst recurrence. The aim of this study was to evaluate the efficacy of surgical treatment with regard to clinical complaints.
- [Significances of serum level and immunohistochemical stain of CA19-9 in simple hepatic cysts and intrahepatic biliary cystic neoplasms]Ki Ho Park
Department of Internal Medicine, Korea University College of Medicine, Seoul, Korea
Korean J Gastroenterol 47:52-8. 2006..This study aimed to evaluate the expression of CA19-9 and to elucidate its significances in intrahepatic biliary cystic neoplasms and simple hepatic cysts.
- Intracystic hemorrhage with spontaneous rupture of liver cyst complicated by infection: a case reportAkishige Kanazawa
Department of Surgery, Asakayama General Hospital, Department of Gastroenterological and Hepato Biliary Pancreatic Surgery, Osaka City University, Graduate School of Medicine, Japan
Osaka City Med J 49:57-60. 2003..Transhepatic cyst drainage combined with antibiotic therapy and intracystic ethanol injection may be a useful and minimally invasive method for liver cysts with these complications, especially in compromised patients.
- Beware of "degenerating" congenital pulmonary cystsLouis P Dehner
Pediatr Surg Int 21:123-4. 2005
- A case of cystic leiomyoma mimicking an ovarian malignancyS C A Low
Department of Diagnostic Imaging, KK Women s and Children s Hospital, Singapore
Ann Acad Med Singapore 33:371-4. 2004..We report an unusual case of a large cystic, pedunculated uterine leiomyoma mimicking a primary malignant ovarian tumour on sonography and computed tomography (CT)...
- Prevalence and natural history of pineal cysts in adultsWajd N Al-Holou
Department of Neurosurgery, University of Michigan, Ann Arbor, Michigan 48109 5338, USA
J Neurosurg 115:1106-14. 2011We reviewed our experience with pineal cysts to define the natural history and clinical relevance of this common intracranial finding.
- Abdominal cerebrospinal fluid pseudocyst: a complication of ventriculoperitoneal shunts in adultsF Aparici-Robles
Servicio de Radiodiagnóstico de Adultos, Hospital Universitario La Fe, Valencia, Spain
J Med Imaging Radiat Oncol 52:40-3. 2008..Visualization of the distal tip of the VPS within a homogeneous intraperitoneal collection is the principal diagnostic sign of an abdominal cerebrospinal fluid pseudocyst at ultrasound and CT...
- Outer retinal cysts in age-related macular degenerationBenjamin Wolff
Centre Ophtalmologique Rabelais, Lyon, France Fondation Ophtalmologique Rothschild, Paris, France
Acta Ophthalmol 89:e496-9. 2011To describe novel cystic structures ('outer retinal cysts' or ORC) found in the outer retina in age-related macular degeneration (AMD).
- Diagnosis of Birt-Hogg-Dube syndrome in a patient with spontaneous pneumothoraxOlivier Pittet
Department of Thoracic Surgery, Centre Hospitalier Universitaire Vaudois, Switzerland
Ann Thorac Surg 82:1123-5. 2006..Subsequently patients may develop concomitant renal and thoracic pathology. We report the case of a patient with Birt-Hogg-Dube syndrome diagnosed after spontaneous pneumothorax...
- [Symptomatic non-parasitic liver cysts: early and long-term results of surgical management]W Sendt
Klinik für Allgemein und Viszeralchirurgie, Krankenhaus, St Joseph Stift, Bremen
Zentralbl Chir 134:149-54. 2009Symptomatic congenital cysts of the liver, whether solitary or multiple in appearance, can be treated by a laparoscopic approach. Here we present our single centre experience encompassing a rather large cohort of patients.
- Two cases of paraprostatic cysts in castrated male dogsZachary J Goodrich
Department of Veterinary Clinical Sciences, University of Minnesota, St Paul, MN, USA
J Am Anim Hosp Assoc 47:e195-8. 2011..Paraprostatic cysts were diagnosed in both cases based on the results of abdominal ultrasonography, MRI, and histopathology of tissue ..
- Cystic abdominal masses in children: a pictorial essayMehmet Ruhi Onur
Department of Radiology, Firat University Faculty of Medicine, Elazig, Turkey
Clin Imaging 37:18-27. 2013..In this pictorial essay, we summarized the imaging features of common cystic abdominal masses of children, including cystic lesions arising from liver, biliary ducts, kidney, pancreas, bowel, ovary, mesentery, and miscellaneous tissues...
- Modifiers of Cyst Progression in Polycystic Kidney DiseasePhillip Darwin Bell; Fiscal Year: 2013..Recently we have shown that reduced renal mass also accelerates the formation of cysts. Finally, it has been reported in humans that kidney size, which is an index of cystic burden, is doubled in ..
- Phosphotyrosine signaling pathways controlling tracheal tube geometryKAI G ZINN; Fiscal Year: 2013..The Ptp4E Ptp10D double mutation converts linear unicellular tubes into spherical cysts. Type III RPTPs are highly conserved regulators of receptor TK signaling, and we found that the phenotype involves ..
- New Rapid Diagnostic Tests for AmebiasisJOEL F HERBEIN; Fiscal Year: 2010..E. histolytica cysts are predominantly acquired through ingestion of contaminated food and water, leading to 50 million cases of amebic ..
- Misregulation of receptor tyrosine kinase signaling in PKDJordan A Kreidberg; Fiscal Year: 2013..PKD is characterized by numerous cysts within the kidneys of afflicted individuals...
- Progesterone's Role in Pubertal Maturation in Normal and Hyperandrogenemic AdolesJESSICAH S P COLLINS; Fiscal Year: 2011..ovary syndrome (PCOS) is a common hormonal disorder marked by elevated male hormone levels, impaired ovulation and cysts on the ovaries that causes significant morbidity in adult women, including abnormal hair growth, acne, irregular ..
- Mouse models for esophageal Cox-2 oxidative stress and DNA damageJohn P Lynch; Fiscal Year: 2013..we express Cox-2 in normal human esophageal keratinocytes we observe the development of intestinal mucin-filled cysts. This suggests that Cox-2 expression is sufficient to induce an altered cell lineage from keratinocytes, one that ..
- MicroRNA-Based Therapeutics for Rare Cystic Kidney DiseasesPeter Igarashi; Fiscal Year: 2010..Autosomal recessive cystic kidney diseases include autosomal recessive polycystic kidney disease (ARPKD), renal cysts and diabetes (RCAD), and nephronophthisis (NPHP)...
- FASEB SRC onBradley K Yoder; Fiscal Year: 2013..Notable hallmarks of ciliopathies are the formation of cysts in the kidney as well as in other duct structures of the pancreas and liver...
- Modeling oxidative stress and DNA damage using GI organotypic culture systemsJohn P Lynch; Fiscal Year: 2013..express Cox-2 in normal human esophageal keratinocytes, we observe the development of intestinal mucin-filled cysts. We propose to extend this success in physiologically relevant directions...
- PROGESTERONE RECEPTOR AND ACTION IN THE PRIMATE OVARYRichard L Stouffer; Fiscal Year: 2013..Emerging concepts should refine clinical paradigms, e.g., the etiology and treatment of ovarian cysts, polycystic ovarian syndrome, luteal phase effects, and recurrent pregnancy loss...
- Legionella pneumophila developmental cycle & virulencePAUL STOKES HOFFMAN; Fiscal Year: 2011..These cysts are resistant to the effects of antibiotics, detergents and other toxic agents and can persist in water sources ..
- MRI Imaging Biomarkers of ARPKD Kidney and Liver DiseaseChristopher A Flask; Fiscal Year: 2013..The kidney disease, characterized by enlarged kidneys with diffuse microscopic collecting duct cysts, is usually evident at birth. Kidney failure develops in 40-50% of affected children by age 10...
- The exocyst in ciliogenesis and cystogenesisJoshua H Lipschutz; Fiscal Year: 2013..b>Cysts are "building blocks" for epithelial organs such as the kidney, and defects in cyst formation are implicated in ..
- Stress: Potential Impact on an Animal Model of EndometriosisCaroline B Appleyard; Fiscal Year: 2012..This condition is characterized by peritoneal inflammation, fibrosis, adhesions and ovarian cysts, which result in chronic pelvic pain, pain during intercourse (dyspareunia), painful periods (dysmenorrhea) and ..
- CYTOLOGICAL STUDIES OF DEVELOPING AND MATURE NEURONSMary Bartlett Bunge; Fiscal Year: 2013..SCs) are clinically relevant because they can be transplanted into humans autologously;in rats they reduce large cysts that form following SCI, protect tissue from secondary damage, promote axonal regeneration across the injury, ..
- Role of GLIS2 in the Development of Cystic Kidney DiseaseMassimo Attanasio; Fiscal Year: 2013..of Hh signaling in the postnatal kidney and demonstrated that malfunctioning of this pathway results in kidney cysts and fibrosis, increased inflammatory infiltration and apoptosis, but the molecular events leading to this kidney ..
- Regulatory Circuits Controlling Development of Dormant Microbial CystsCARL EUGENE BAUER; Fiscal Year: 2013..genetic and biochemical characterization of regulatory factors that control development of metabolically quiescent cysts in gram-negative bacteria...
- Targeted screening for Taenia solium tapewormsSETH E O'NEAL; Fiscal Year: 2011..The eggs grow into larvae which then form cysts throughout the body;cysts in the brain are responsible for 30% of seizures in the developing world...
- The Pathobiology of Hepatic EpitheliaNicholas F Larusso; Fiscal Year: 2013..Here we concentrate on the cholangiociliopathies, a group of incurable genetic diseases manifesting biliary cysts with or without fibrosis;Autosomal Recessive and Autosomal Dominant Polycystic Kidney Disease (ARPKD and ADPKD) ..
- CFTR inhibitors for therapy of polycystic kidney diseaseAlan S Verkman; Fiscal Year: 2010..evidence that in autosomal dominant polycystic kidney disease (ADPKD) progressive fluid accumulation into cysts requires chloride secretion by the cystic fibrosis transmembrane conductance regulator protein (CFTR), a cAMP-..
- Use of a Fragile X premutation knock-in mouse to study FXPOIJoshua Johnson; Fiscal Year: 2013..A high incidence of large cysts was also seen in PM mice...
- Immunopathology of the Pneumocystis Life Cycle StagesMelanie T Cushion; Fiscal Year: 2013..We posit that cysts are the agents of transmission and the process of cyst formation requires B-1,3-glucan...
- Translational control and latent Toxoplasma infectionRONALD C contact WEK; Fiscal Year: 2010..Currently, we know little about the molecular events underlying how the parasite develops into cysts, and no drugs exist that can rid the body of the cyst form...
- Identification and Characterization of New Genes Required for Cilia MotilityJennifer R Panizzi; Fiscal Year: 2010..are characterized by a curved body axis, immotile cilia in the nose, kidneys, spinal canal, and develop kidney cysts within 3 days post-fertilization...
- Multiplex fluorescence optofluidic microscopy for diagnosis of enteric parasitesChanghuei Yang; Fiscal Year: 2013..Automated microscopic detection of cysts using antigen specific OFM fluorescence detection will not only allow a multiplex, single-step approach for four ..
- The Role of the Calcium Activated Potassium Channel, KCa3.1, in the Pathogenesis Edward Skolnik; Fiscal Year: 2010..Over time, these cysts become more numerous and larger in size and replace normal kidney tissue leading to loss of renal function...
- The role of DNA damage response signaling in chronic kidney diseaseRannar Airik; Fiscal Year: 2013..disease (CKD), characterized by tubulointerstitial fibrosis, tubular basement membrane disruption and kidney cysts. Renal fibrosis is the primary determinant of end-stage kidney disease, with no effective therapy available today...
- Mechanism of Metformin Action in Normal and PCOS Theca CellsJan M McAllister; Fiscal Year: 2012..PUBLIC HEALTH RELEVANCE: Polycystic ovary syndrome (PCOS) is characterized by ovarian cysts, anovulation, hyperandrogenism, and endometrial hyperplasia, and affects 6-10% of reproductive age women, ..
- Role of Periostin in Polycystic Kidney DiseaseDarren P Wallace; Fiscal Year: 2013..disorder in which aberrant growth of tubule epithelial cells causes the formation of numerous fluid-filled cysts, massively enlarged kidneys and progressive loss of renal function...
- The effects of stress on the pathophysiology of endometriosisMARIELLY CUEVAS; Fiscal Year: 2010..This condition is characterized by peritoneal inflammation, fibrosis, adhesions and ovarian cysts, which result in chronic pelvic pain, pain during intercourse (dyspareunia), painful periods (dysmenorrhea) and ..
- REGULATION OF KIDNEY-SPECIFIC GENE EXPRESSIONPeter Igarashi; Fiscal Year: 2013..HNF-1[unreadable] or expression of dominant-negative mutant HNF-1[unreadable] in transgenic mice produces kidney cysts and renal failure...
- The Role of Polycystin 1 C-terminal Cleavage in the Regulation of Cyst GrowthBENJAMIN J FLAHERTY; Fiscal Year: 2013DESCRIPTION (provided by applicant): Autosomal dominant polycystic kidney disease (ADPKD) causes the formation of cysts that expand progressively and disrupt the structure of the renal parenchyma leading to a dramatic loss in kidney ..
- Using zebrafish to define a novel role for AQP2 in kidney tubulogenesisHUA A LU; Fiscal Year: 2010..investigate spatial and temporal expression of an AQP2 orthologue in wild-type zebrafish and zebrafish with kidney cysts, and investigate any alteration of AQP2 trafficking under these conditions;2) investigate roles of AQP2 in ..
- GCN5-mediated transcription in AIDS pathogen ToxoplasmaWilliam J Sullivan; Fiscal Year: 2013..Chronic toxoplasmosis is currently incurable because the parasite is able to develop into cysts that remain latent until immunosuppression...
- Molecular pathogenesis of autosomal dominant polycystic liver disease (ADPLD)SORIN VASILE FEDELES; Fiscal Year: 2010..Polycystic liver disease is characterized by the presence of bile-duct cysts spread throughout the liver parenchyma...
- Centrosomes and Hedgehog Signaling in Development and Polycystic Kidney DiseaseHisham Bazzi; Fiscal Year: 2013..If Hh signaling is activated during cyst formation, we will employ genetic approaches to test the importance of Hh signaling during the formation of kidney cysts.
- The Role of Bicaudal-C in Polycystic Kidney DiseaseOliver Wessely; Fiscal Year: 2013..Diseases (PKD) are the leading cause of end-stage renal failure and are characterized by the development of renal cysts along the entire length of the nephron...
- Pre-clinical Testing of GSK3 Inhibitors in ADPKDIrina Barash; Fiscal Year: 2010..will be treated for 6 weeks to 9 months with the inhibitors or vehicle starting at 2, 5 and 12 months of age, when cysts are known to develop...
- Role of adenylyl cyclase isoforms in collecting duct physiology &pathophysiologyDonald E Kohan; Fiscal Year: 2013..on PC Na and water transport in health;and 2) AC3 and 6 in the PC differentially modulate PC development into cysts in polycystic kidney disease...
- Adenylyl cyclase isoforms in collecting duct physiology and pathophysiologyDonald E Kohan; Fiscal Year: 2013..on PC Na and water transport in health;and 2) AC3 and 6 in the PC differentially modulate PC development into cysts in polycystic kidney disease...
- Wnt5a and Planar Cell Polarity in Kidney Development and Cyst formationLiwei Huang; Fiscal Year: 2013DESCRIPTION (provided by applicant): Cysts are "building blocks" for epithelial organs, such as the kidney, and abnormal regulation of cystogenesis results in disorders such as autosomal dominant polycystic kidney disease (ADPKD)...
- Effect of Statin Therapy on Disease Progression in Children with ADPKDRobert W Schrier; Fiscal Year: 2012..The condition is characterized by progressive development of kidney cysts with kidney enlargement and associated loss of kidney function...
- Role of PACS proteins in polycystin-2 trafficking and ADPKDGary Thomas; Fiscal Year: 2010..This inherited disorder manifests in formation of numerous cysts in the kidney, culminating in excessive apoptosis and destruction of normal tissue...
- Regulation of polycystin-2 channel activityBarbara E Ehrlich; Fiscal Year: 2013..by applicant): Polycystic kidney disease (PKD) is a systemic hereditary disease characterized by renal and hepatic cysts. There is no known cure for this disease and it results in end-stage renal failure in approximately 50% of ..
- PKD1-Fibrillin Interactions and TFG-b Signaling PathwaysTerry J Watnick; Fiscal Year: 2010..Although the disease is named for its most notable feature, namely kidney cysts, vascular complications are in fact a significant cause of morbidity and mortality ...
- A forward genetic screen for PKD pathways in mice using the PiggyBac transposonStefan Somlo; Fiscal Year: 2010..Autosomal dominant polycystic kidney disease (ADPKD) is characterized by progressive enlargement of numerous cysts in affected kidneys that lead to renalfailure in about half of ADPKD patients. The disease burden from ADPKD in U...
- The Role of p120 Catenin in Metanephric Kidney DevelopmentDENISE K MARCIANO; Fiscal Year: 2012..My preliminary data shows that newborn mice lacking p120ctn in nephrons develop kidney cysts and renal hypoplasia...
- mTOR signaling in Polycystic Kidney DiseaseAtif Kidwai; Fiscal Year: 2011..kidney failure, and affects around 600,000 people in the US (1), and is characterized by progressively enlarging cysts that eventually destroys the surrounding renal parenchyma...
- OMX BLAZE High Speed Super Resolution Imaging SystemAaron F Straight; Fiscal Year: 2012..implications for diverse aspects of human health and disease, including cancer, birth defects, obesity, kidney cysts (in the inherited Bardet-Biedl Syndrome) and neurodegenerative disease...
- Genetic Control of Ureter and Kidney DevelopmentFRANKLIN D COSTANTINI; Fiscal Year: 2013..and ectopic ureters, hydroureter, multiplex kidneys with abnormal branching of collecting ducts, and renal cysts. This proposal focuses on the tyrosine kinase signaling networks that control the normal outgrowth of the ureteric ..
- Role of folliculin (FLCN) in lung cell survivalVera P Krymskaya; Fiscal Year: 2013..Although the etiology of this disease is not known, lung cysts in BHD are linked to autosomal dominant mutational inactivation of tumor suppressor gene folliculin (FLCN)...
- Regulation of cholangiocytes by InsP3 receptor isoformsMichael H Nathanson; Fiscal Year: 2012..Mutations in PC2 leads to polycystic kidney disease (PKD) which is associated with large fluid filled cysts. Most cells of the body express PC2 as well as all three isoforms of the InsP3R, albeit in cell-specific ratios...
- Identifying components of Toxoplasma oocysts that confer environmental resistanceHEATHER MICHELLE FRITZ; Fiscal Year: 2013..g. swine, cattle, sheep) containing bradyzoite tissue cysts, or through congenital transmission...
- The Biology of Genetic Variants in Human Kidney DiseaseJOHN F O'TOOLE; Fiscal Year: 2013..al. 2010). Affected individuals have normal kidney size with rare, small cysts and renal histology dominated by interstitial fibrosis and tubular atrophy similar to that seen in ..
- Phase II clinical trial of stage specific treatment of cystic echinococcosis (EchThomas Junghanss; Fiscal Year: 2010..Hydatid cysts occur mainly in the liver (70%) and the lung (20%)...
- Intracellular calcium in the treatment of polycystic kidney and liver diseasesSergio A Gradilone; Fiscal Year: 2010..as well as in all the polycystic liver diseases, well described genetic defects initiate formation of hepatic cysts, which arise from cholangiocytes, the epithelial cells lining the biliary tree...
- Parasite / host interaction and the neurobiology of fearRobert M Sapolsky; Fiscal Year: 2012..The parasite has evolved the capacity to, once having formed cysts in the brain, abolish the innate fear that rodents have of the odors of cats, and to convert that fear into an ..
- Roles of autophagy-mediated pathways in the pathogenesis and treatment of TSCElizabeth P Henske; Fiscal Year: 2013..By age 10, 80% of children with TSC have renal angiomyolipomas and/or renal cysts. Mammalian target of rapamycin (mTOR) complex 1 (TORC1), which is activated in tuberous sclerosis complex (TSC), ..
- Using Markers to Improve Pancreatic Cancer ScreeningMichael G Goggins; Fiscal Year: 2013..We find ~5-10% have lesions requiring resection (cancers, cysts-intraductal papillary mucinous neoplasms (IPMNs)), ~10-30% have cysts that require surveillance...
- Mechanisms of Prevention of Ovarian Cancer by Oral ContraceptivesMalcolm C Pike; Fiscal Year: 2013..significantly reducing cell proliferation in the fallopian tube fimbriae (FTF) and in ovarian cortical inclusion cysts (CICs), two likely cells of origin for ovarian cancer...
- Pain and Endometriosis: Effects on Ectopic Cyst Innervation and AxonsGeoffrey M Bove; Fiscal Year: 2010..Modern studies have implicated the neo-innervation of endometrial cysts as a primary source of this pain...
- Characterization of the cleaved carboxy-terminal tail of Polycysin-1David M Merrick; Fiscal Year: 2010..is a common genetic disorder, affecting 1 in 1000 individuals, and results in the progressive development of renal cysts, often leading to end-stage kidney failure...
- Genes, Hormones & Environment in an Ovarian Cancer ModelDaniel Cramer; Fiscal Year: 2007..Epithelial cells trapped in inclusion cysts or deriving from endometriosis may be more susceptible to local or circulating growth factors...
- RENAL CYST PATHOGENESIS IN TSC, VHL, AND ADPKDELIZABETH HENSKE; Fiscal Year: 1999Renal cysts contribute to the morbidity of 3 autosomal dominant genetic diseases: tuberous sclerosis (TSC), von Hippel Lindau disease (VHL) and autosomal dominant polycystic kidney disease (ADPKD)...
- Parasite/Host Interactions and the Neurobiology of FearRobert Sapolsky; Fiscal Year: 2006..Infected feces are eaten by rodents, in which Toxoplasma forms cysts in muscle and the CNS. The life cycle is completed when the rodent is predated by a cat...
- CYSTIC DILATATION OF NEPHRONS IN TRANSGENIC INV MICECarrie Phillips; Fiscal Year: 2005..e. N-cadherin and beta-catenin. We found fusiform cysts in proximal tubules and collecting ducts of inv/inv mice...
- Neurocysticercosis: Combined Treatment with Praziquantel and AlbendazoleHector Hugo Garcia; Fiscal Year: 2012..We have demonstrated that the prognosis of the associated seizure disorder improves by killing brain cysts using anti-parasitic treatment...
- A Schizosaccharomyces pombe Model of Birt-Hogg-Dube SyndromeELIZABETH HENSKE; Fiscal Year: 2007..pombe). Birt-Hogg-Dube (BHD) syndrome is an autosomal dominant disorder characterized by skin hamartomas, lung cysts, spontaneous pneumothorax, and renal cell carcinoma...
- PROTOZOA-LEGIONELLA INTERACTIONS AND DISINFECTIONSharon Berk; Fiscal Year: 1992..Specifically the objectives are: 1) To assess the role of protozoan cysts in enhancing survival of Legionella; 2) to test the effect of biocides on enhancement of cyst formation and ..
- Image-guided intervention system for pancreatic cancerNicusor Iftimia; Fiscal Year: 2007..pancreas and the very difficult differentiation between various cystic lesions make the diagnosis of pancreatic cysts in general and the distinction between benign and malignant cysts in particular difficult without exploratory ..
- CONTROL OF EPITHELIAL GROWTH IN RENAL CYSTIC DISEASEJared Grantham; Fiscal Year: 1991..In these and the rarer autosomal recessive PKD (ARPKD) cysts develop from renal tubules that may enlarge to many centimeters in diameter...