Genomes and Genes
Summary: Arthritis, especially of the great toe, as a result of gout. Acute gouty arthritis often is precipitated by trauma, infection, surgery, etc. The initial attacks are usually monoarticular but later attacks are often polyarticular.
Publications201 found, 100 shown here
- Gout: a review of its aetiology and treatmentE K Li
Department of Medicine and Therapeutics, The Chinese University of Hong Kong, Prince of Wales Hospital, Shatin, Hong Kong
Hong Kong Med J 10:261-70. 2004..To review the current understanding of the causes and the management of gout...
- Colchicine for prophylaxis of acute flares when initiating allopurinol for chronic gouty arthritisGregory C Borstad
Department of Rheumatology, Wilford Hall US Air Force Medical Center, Lackland AFB, San Antonio, Texas, USA
J Rheumatol 31:2429-32. 2004..We investigated if colchicine administration during initiation of allopurinol for chronic gouty arthritis reduces the frequency and/or severity of acute gout flares.
- Role of S100A8 and S100A9 in neutrophil recruitment in response to monosodium urate monohydrate crystals in the air-pouch model of acute gouty arthritisCarle Ryckman
Infectious Diseases Research Center, Centre de Recherche du Centre Hospitalier de l Universite Laval, 2705 Laurier Boulevard, Sainte Foy, Quebec G1V 4G2, Canada
Arthritis Rheum 48:2310-20. 2003..To examine the role of chemokines, S100A8, and S100A9 in neutrophil accumulation induced by the causative agent of gout, monosodium urate monohydrate (MSU) crystals...
- Gouty arthritis in acute cerebrovascular diseaseYa Hui Lin
Department of Neurology, Chiayi Branch, Chang Gung Memorial Hospital, Chang Gung University College of Medicine, Taipei, Taiwan, ROC
Cerebrovasc Dis 28:391-6. 2009b>Gouty arthritis is a metabolic disorder associated with several medical diseases and is considered as a high-risk factor of acute myocardial infarction and cardiovascular mortality...
- Anti-inflammatory thiazine alkaloids isolated from the New Zealand ascidian Aplidium sp.: inhibitors of the neutrophil respiratory burst in a model of gouty arthritisA Norrie Pearce
TerraMarine Pharmaceuticals, Department of Chemistry, The University of Auckland, Private Bag 92019, Auckland, New Zealand
J Nat Prod 70:936-40. 2007..6 micromol/kg. Ascidiathiazone A (3) was synthesized in four steps from 8-hydroxyquinoline-2-carboxylic acid...
- Effect of acute gouty arthritis on sleep patterns: a preclinical studyUriah Guevara-López
Department of Pain and Palliative Medicine, National Institute for Medical Sciences and Nutrition Salvador Zubiran, Mexico City, Mexico
Eur J Pain 13:146-53. 2009..Although some evidences suggest that sleep and pain may interact in a complex way, polysomnographic studies in animals with acute nociception are limited in number...
- Concomitant septic and gouty arthritis--an analysis of 30 casesK H Yu
Division of Rheumatology, Allergy, and Immunology, Chang Gung Memorial Hospital, Tao Yuan, Taiwan, Republic of China
Rheumatology (Oxford) 42:1062-6. 2003..To analyse the clinical features and outcomes of gouty patients with concomitant septic arthritis in a medical centre...
- Does prolonged systemic glucocorticoid use increase risk of tophus formation among gouty arthritis patients?Anne Annette P Raso
University of Santo Tomas Hospital, Manila, Philippines
Int J Rheum Dis 12:243-9. 2009..To determine the relationship of steroid use with tophus formation and other comorbid conditions among male gout patients...
- Suppressive effect of Withania somnifera root powder on experimental gouty arthritis: An in vivo and in vitro studyMahaboobkhan Rasool
Faculty of Biosciences, School of Bioengineering and Biosciences, Vellore Institute of Technology Deemed University, Vellore 632014, Tamil Nadu, India
Chem Biol Interact 164:174-80. 2006..These results provide evidence for the suppressive effect of W. somnifera root powder by retarding amplification and propagation of the inflammatory response without causing any gastric damage...
- Expression of matrix metalloproteinase-9 (gelatinase B) in gouty arthritis and stimulation of MMP-9 by urate crystals in macrophagesMing Shium Hsieh
Department of Orthopaedics and Traumatology, School of Medicine, Taipei Medical University Hospital, Taipei Medical University, Taipei, Taiwan
J Cell Biochem 89:791-9. 2003To investigate the relevance of gelatinase-B (matrix metalloproteinase 9, MMP-9) in gouty arthritis (GA), we tested the occurrence of MMP-9 in GA patients and cell culture system...
- The clinical significance of gelatinase B in gouty arthritis of the kneeShu Chen Chu
Department of Food Science, Chungtai Institute of Health Sciences and Technology, Taichung 406, Taiwan
Clin Chim Acta 339:77-83. 2004Clinically, gouty arthritis is associated with severe inflammation, such as pain, swelling and erythema of the joints...
- Plasma interleukin (IL)-18 (interferon-gamma-inducing factor) and other inflammatory cytokines in patients with gouty arthritis and monosodium urate monohydrate crystal-induced secretion of IL-18Taku Inokuchi
Division of Endocrinology and Metabolism, Department of Internal Medicine, Hyogo College of Medicine, Mukogawa cho 1 1, Nishinomiya, Hyogo 663 8501, Japan
Cytokine 33:21-7. 2006..those of IL-1beta, tumor necrosis factor-alpha, IL-6, and IL-8, are elevated in the plasma of patients with gouty arthritis, the plasma concentrations of those cytokines were measured in 31 males with gouty arthritis...
- A retrospective study of the relationship between serum urate level and recurrent attacks of gouty arthritis: evidence for reduction of recurrent gouty arthritis with antihyperuricemic therapyAkira Shoji
Tokyo Women s Medical University, Tokyo, Japan
Arthritis Rheum 51:321-5. 2004..To evaluate the proposed relationship between persistent reduction of serum urate into the subsaturating range and reduction in the frequency of acute gouty attacks...
- Hyperalgesia, synovitis and multiple biomarkers of inflammation are suppressed by interleukin 1 inhibition in a novel animal model of gouty arthritisR Torres
Regeneron Pharmaceuticals, 777 Old Saw Mill River Rd, Tarrytown, NY 10591, USA
Ann Rheum Dis 68:1602-8. 2009..However, consequences of IL1 inhibition have not been explored in more clinically relevant models of crystal-induced arthritis...
- Clinical practice. GoutRobert A Terkeltaub
Rheumatology Section, Department of Medicine, San Diego Veterans Affairs Medical Center and the University of California San Diego School of Medicine, San Diego, CA 92161, USA
N Engl J Med 349:1647-55. 2003
- The pathogenesis of bone erosions in gouty arthritisNaomi Schlesinger
Department of Medicine, UMDNJ Robert Wood Johnson Medical School, New Brunswick, New Jersey, USA
Ann Rheum Dis 69:1907-12. 2010The characteristic radiographic hallmarks of chronic gouty arthritis are the presence of macroscopic tophi and erosions with overhanging edges and relative preservation of the joint space...
- The role of interleukin-1 and the inflammasome in gout: implications for therapyRichard M Pope
Northwestern University Feinberg School of Medicine, and the Jesse Brown VA Medical Center, Chicago, Illinois 60611, USA
Arthritis Rheum 56:3183-8. 2007
- Engagement of fatty acids with Toll-like receptor 2 drives interleukin-1β production via the ASC/caspase 1 pathway in monosodium urate monohydrate crystal-induced gouty arthritisLeo A B Joosten
Department of Medicine, Radboud University Nijmegen Medical Centre, Nijmegen, The Netherlands
Arthritis Rheum 62:3237-48. 2010The concept that intraarticular crystals of uric acid by themselves trigger episodes of painful gouty arthritis is inconsistent with the clinical reality...
- Canakinumab for the treatment of acute flares in difficult-to-treat gouty arthritis: Results of a multicenter, phase II, dose-ranging studyAlexander So
University Hospital of Lausanne, Lausanne, Switzerland
Arthritis Rheum 62:3064-76. 2010To assess the efficacy and tolerability of canakinumab, a fully human anti-interleukin-1β monoclonal antibody, for the treatment of acute gouty arthritis.
- An in vivo and in vitro potential of Indian ayurvedic herbal formulation Triphala on experimental gouty arthritis in miceE P Sabina
School of Bio engineering and Biosciences, VIT University, Vellore 632 014, Tamil Nadu, India
Vascul Pharmacol 48:14-20. 2008..formulation Triphala on monosodium urate crystal-induced inflammation in mice; an experimental model for gouty arthritis and compared it with that of the non-steroidal anti-inflammatory drug, Indomethacin...
- Impact of sonography in gouty arthritis: comparison with conventional radiography, clinical examination, and laboratory findingsClaudia Schueller-Weidekamm
Department of Diagnostic Radiology, Medical University of Vienna, Waehringer Guertel 18 20, A 1090 Vienna, Austria
Eur J Radiol 62:437-43. 2007To explore the typical sonographic features of gray-scale and Power Doppler of acute and chronic gouty arthritis in conjunction with radiographic, clinical, and laboratory findings.
- The inflammatory process in the mechanism of decreased serum uric acid concentrations during acute gouty arthritisWako Urano
The Institute of Rheumatology, Tokyo Women s Medical University, Japan
J Rheumatol 29:1950-3. 2002To clarify the mechanism of decreased serum uric acid (SUA) concentrations during acute gouty arthritis.
- Management of acute and chronic gouty arthritis: present state-of-the-artNaomi Schlesinger
Department of Medicine, University of Medicine and Dentistry of New Jersey Robert Wood Johnson Medical School, New Brunswick, New Jersey 08903 0019, USA
Drugs 64:2399-416. 2004..of gout: (i) treating the acute attack; (ii) lowering excess stores of uric acid to prevent flares of gouty arthritis and to prevent tissue deposition of urate; and (iii) providing prophylaxis to prevent acute flares...
- Inflammatory pseudotumor of the liver complicated with recurrent gouty arthritisT Takahashi
Department of Internal Medicine, Mikasa City Hospital, Mikasa
Intern Med 40:493-8. 2001..fever unresponsive to antibiotics developed in a 70-year-old man suffering from intractable recurrent gouty arthritis. 67Ga-scintigraphy disclosed intense focal uptake in the upper abdomen...
- Near-iron deficiency-induced remission of gouty arthritisFrancesco S Facchini
Department of Medicine, San Francisco General Hospital and University of California San Francisco, 94143, USA
Rheumatology (Oxford) 42:1550-5. 2003..The objective of the present study was to investigate whether or not iron removal may improve the outcome of gouty arthritis in humans as well.
- Activation of melanocortin type 3 receptor as a molecular mechanism for adrenocorticotropic hormone efficacy in gouty arthritisStephen J Getting
Immunopharmacology Unit, The William Harvey Research Institute, St Bartholomew s Royal London School of Medicine and Dentistry, Charterhouse Square, London EC1M 6BQ, UK
Arthritis Rheum 46:2765-75. 2002To test the hypothesis that local activation of melanocortin receptor(s) by adrenocorticotropic hormone (ACTH) could be responsible, at least in part, for its efficacy in human gouty arthritis.
- Innate immunity conferred by Toll-like receptors 2 and 4 and myeloid differentiation factor 88 expression is pivotal to monosodium urate monohydrate crystal-induced inflammationRu Liu-Bryan
VA Medical Center, University of California, San Diego 92161, USA
Arthritis Rheum 52:2936-46. 2005....
- The interleukin 1 inhibitor rilonacept in treatment of chronic gouty arthritis: results of a placebo-controlled, monosequence crossover, non-randomised, single-blind pilot studyR Terkeltaub
VAMC Rheumatology, 111K, 3350 La Jolla Village Drive, San Diego, CA 92161, USA
Ann Rheum Dis 68:1613-7. 2009..Recent studies suggest that blockade of the NLRP3 (cryopyrin) inflammasome interleukin 1beta (IL1beta) pathway may offer a new treatment strategy for gout...
- Prophylactic effect of highly selective COX-2 inhibition in acute monosodium urate crystal induced inflammation in the rat subcutaneous air pouchSelim Nalbant
University of Pennsylvania School of Medicine and the Arthritis Center, VA Medical Center, Philadelphia, Pennsylvania 19104 4283, USA
J Rheumatol 32:1762-4. 2005..To examine the ability of rofecoxib prophylaxis to blunt the effect of monosodium urate (MSU) crystal inflammation induced in the rat subcutaneous air pouch...
- Inhibition of monosodium urate monohydrate crystal-induced acute inflammation by retrovirally transfected prostaglandin D synthaseYousuke Murakami
Kitasato University School of Medicine, Sagamihara, Japan
Arthritis Rheum 48:2931-41. 2003..We evaluated the antiinflammatory effect of retrovirally transfected H-PGDS in order to investigate the role of H-PGDS in monosodium urate monohydrate (MSU) crystal-induced acute inflammation...
- Assessment of outcome in clinical trials of gout--a review of current measuresW J Taylor
Department of Medicine, Wellington School of Medicine and Health Sciences, University of Otago, PO Box 7343, Wellington 6242, New Zealand
Rheumatology (Oxford) 46:1751-6. 2007..The absence of a valid definition of gout-flare or how flare reduction defines response is problematic; this forms the basis for a current ACR-EULAR sponsored project...
- A pilot study of IL-1 inhibition by anakinra in acute goutAlexander So
Service of Rhumatologie, Department of Medicine, Centre Hospitalier Universtaire Vaudois and University of Lausanne, 1011 Lausanne, Switzerland
Arthritis Res Ther 9:R28. 2007..No adverse effects were observed. IL-1 blockade appears to be an effective therapy for acute gouty arthritis. The clinical findings need to be confirmed in a controlled study.
- The inflammatory process of gout and its treatmentBruce N Cronstein
Department of Medicine and Division of Clinical Pharmacology, New York University School of Medicine, New York, New York, USA
Arthritis Res Ther 8:S3. 2006b>Gouty arthritis is a characteristically intense acute inflammatory reaction that erupts in response to articular deposits of monosodium urate (MSU) crystals...
- Severe gouty arthritis refractory to anti-inflammatory drugs: treatment with anti-tumour necrosis factor alpha as a new therapeutic optionA K Tausche
Ann Rheum Dis 63:1351-2. 2004
- Randomised double blind trial of etoricoxib and indometacin in treatment of acute gouty arthritisH Ralph Schumacher
Division of Rheumatology, University of Pennsylvania School of Medicine and Department of Veterans Affairs Medical Center, Philadelphia, PA 19104, USA
BMJ 324:1488-92. 2002To assess the safety and efficacy of etoricoxib, a selective cyclo-oxygenase-2 inhibitor, in comparison with indometacin in the treatment of acute gouty arthritis.
- Colchicine suppresses neutrophil superoxide production in a murine model of gouty arthritis: a rationale for use of low-dose colchicineE W Chia
Malaghan Institute of Medical Research, Wellington, New Zealand
Br J Pharmacol 153:1288-95. 2008When used to treat gouty arthritis, colchicine is believed to work by inhibiting microtubule-dependent cell infiltration. However, in vitro, colchicine also reduces monosodium urate (MSU)-induced superoxide production by neutrophils...
- Fenofibrate enhances urate reduction in men treated with allopurinol for hyperuricaemia and goutM D Feher
Lipid Clinic, London SW10 9NH, UK
Rheumatology (Oxford) 42:321-5. 2003..To assess the short-term urate-lowering effect of fenofibrate in men on long-term allopurinol therapy for hyperuricaemia and gout...
- Effects of extracts from Paederia scandens (LOUR.) MERRILL (Rubiaceae) on MSU crystal-induced rats gouty arthritisYing Ma
Department of Pharmacology, Anhui Medical University, Hefei 230032, China
Am J Chin Med 37:669-83. 2009....
- A single-blind, randomized, controlled trial to assess the efficacy and tolerability of rofecoxib, diclofenac sodium, and meloxicam in patients with acute gouty arthritisTien Tsai Cheng
Section of Allergy, Immunology and Rheumatology, Department of Internal Medicine, Chang Gung Memorial Hospital, Taiwan, Republic of China
Clin Ther 26:399-406. 2004Acute attacks of gouty arthritis are characterized by the rapid onset of severe pain, swelling, and erythema of the affected joint. Nonsteroidal anti-inflammatory drugs are considered the drugs of first choice for treating acute gout...
- Associations of a non-synonymous variant in SLC2A9 with gouty arthritis and uric acid levels in Han Chinese subjects and Solomon IslandersHung Pin Tu
Graduate Institute of Medicine, College of Medicine, Kaohsiung Medical University, Kaohsiung, Taiwan
Ann Rheum Dis 69:887-90. 2010..To study the associations of gout, tophi and uric acid levels with the gout-related SLC2A9 (solute carrier family 2, member 9) single nucleotide polymorphisms (SNPs) between two different racial groups...
- A diagnostic rule for acute gouty arthritis in primary care without joint fluid analysisHein J E M Janssens
Department of Primary and Community Care, Radboud University Nijmegen Medical Center, 6500 HB Nijmegen, The Netherlands
Arch Intern Med 170:1120-6. 2010Most cases of acute gouty arthritis are diagnosed in primary care and without joint fluid analysis in many instances. Our objectives were to estimate the validity of this diagnosis by family physicians and to develop a diagnostic rule.
- Stimulation of inducible nitric oxide synthase by monosodium urate crystals in macrophages and expression of iNOS in gouty arthritisLinda Chen
Department of Orthopaedics and Traumatology, School of Medicine, Taipei Medical University Hospital, Taipei Medical University, Taipei, Taiwan, ROC
Nitric Oxide 11:228-36. 2004..To date, little is known about the role of iNOS in the pathophysiology of gouty arthritis (GA)...
- Frequency of gouty arthritis in patients with end-stage renal disease in JapanIwao Ohno
Division of Kidney and Hypertension, Department of Internal Medicine, Jikei University School of Medicine, Tokyo
Intern Med 44:706-9. 2005The purpose of this study was to investigate gouty arthritis in Japanese patients with end-stage renal disease (ESRD).
- Severe gouty arthritis and mild neurologic symptoms due to F199C, a newly identified variant of the hypoxanthine guanine phosphoribosyltransferaseHang Korng Ea
Hopital Lariboisiere, INSERM UMR S 606, Paris, France
Arthritis Rheum 60:2201-4. 2009..Herein, we describe a patient with hyperuricemia, juvenile-onset gouty arthritis, nephrolithiasis, and mild neurologic symptoms, attributed to a newly identified variant of the hprt gene, c...
- Gouty arthritis. A primer on late-onset goutDaniel Ene-Stroescu
Internal Medicine Northwest, Tacoma, Washington, USA
Geriatrics 60:24-31. 2005b>Gouty arthritis, a common source of pain and disability, is the most common form of inflammatory arthritis affecting older people...
- Gouty arthritis: not just a big toe problemS E Meiner
University of Nevada in Las Vegas' College of Health Sciences, USA
Geriatr Nurs 22:132-4. 2001..High blood levels of uric acid lead to inflammation, joint swelling, and severe pain. Treatment is aimed at relieving the acute attack and preventing recurrent episodes of gouty arthritis.
- Intracellular innate immunity in gouty arthritis: role of NALP3 inflammasomeRu Liu-Bryan
Department of Medicine, VA Medical Center, University of California, San Diego, CA, USA
Immunol Cell Biol 88:20-3. 2010..This review focuses on the critical role of intracellular NALP3 inflammasome in MSU crystal-induced inflammation...
- Local ice therapy during bouts of acute gouty arthritisNaomi Schlesinger
Department of Medicine and New Jersey Medical School University of Medicine and Dentistry of New Jersey, Newark, USA
J Rheumatol 29:331-4. 2002To evaluate the effect of local application of ice on duration and severity of acute gouty arthritis.
- Evil humors take their toll as innate immunity makes gouty joints TREM-bleRu Liu-Bryan
Arthritis Rheum 54:383-6. 2006
- Clinical manifestations of patients with hyperuricemiaSomchai Akkasilpa
Division of Rheumatology, Department of Medicine, Faculty of Medicine, Chulalongkorn University, Bangkok 10330, Thailand
J Med Assoc Thai 87:S41-4. 2004..To study the clinical manifestations of patients with hyperuricemia in King Chulalongkorn Memorial Hospital...
- Diagnostic value of fine needle aspiration cytology in gouty tophi: a report of 7 casesPunam Prasad Bhadani
Department of Pathology, BP Koirala Institute of Health Sciences, Dharan, Nepal
Acta Cytol 50:101-4. 2006..Demonstration of monosodium urate (MSU) crystals in fine needle aspiration (FNA) smears from nodular masses clinically suspected to be tophi establishes the diagnosis unequivocally...
- An update on the treatment options for gout and calcium pyrophosphate depositionGregory Choy
Division of Rheumatology, University of Toronto, Sunnybrook and Women s College Health Science Centre, M1 401, Toronto, ON, M4N 3M5, Canada
Expert Opin Pharmacother 6:2443-53. 2005..Optimal treatment for both requires prompt resolution of acute synovitis, reduction of chronic joint damage and management of associated conditions. Available therapeutic interventions and future strategies are reviewed in this article...
- Crystal-induced arthropathies: recent investigative advancesMichael H Ellman
University of Chicago, Pritzker School of Medicine, Rheumatology Section, Department of Medicine, University of Chicago Medical Center, Chicago, Illinois 60637, USA
Curr Opin Rheumatol 18:249-55. 2006..To highlight recent investigations that have stimulated renewed interest in crystal-induced arthropathies...
- A concise history of gout and hyperuricemia and their treatmentGeorge Nuki
University of Edinburgh Rheumatic Diseases Unit, Scotland, UK
Arthritis Res Ther 8:S1. 2006....
- [Polyarticular gout in young adults: a curable rheumatic disease]A Pouye
Clinique médicale I, CHU A Le Dantec
Med Trop (Mars) 66:273-6. 2006..Treatment is effective, well tolerated and inexpensive...
- [Pathogenesis, diagnostics and therapy of gout]M Zurek
III Interní klinika Lékarské fakulty UP a FN Olomouc
Vnitr Lek 52:736-41. 2006..Gout manifests as acute gouty arthritis with classic clinical picture, or as chronic gouty arthropathy with periarticular and subcutaneous deposits ..
- [Diagnosis at a glance. This hand speaks volumes]Peter Stiefelhagen
Internistischen Abteilung, DRK Klinikum Westerwald, Krankenhaus Hachenburg, D 57627 Hachenburg
MMW Fortschr Med 148:57. 2006
- Advances in the management of gout and hyperuricaemiaT K Hoskison
Department of Internal Medicine, The University of Oklahoma College of Medicine Tulsa, 4502 East 41st Street, Tulsa, OK 74135, USA
Scand J Rheumatol 35:251-60. 2006An acute attack of gouty arthritis is one of the most painful experiences reported throughout medical history. Therefore it is paramount to initiate appropriate therapy quickly in order to terminate the acute phase...
- Long-term cardiovascular mortality among middle-aged men with goutEswar Krishnan
Division of Rheumatology, Department of Medicine, University of Pittsburgh School of Medicine, Pittsburgh, Pennsylvania, USA
Arch Intern Med 168:1104-10. 2008There are limited data available on the association of gouty arthritis (gout) in middle age with long-term cardiovascular disease (CVD) mortality.
- [Molecular basis of primary renal hyperuricemia : role of the human urate transporter hURAT1]S Unger
Bereich Pathologische Biochemie, Medizinische Klinik und Poliklinik III, Universitatsklinikum Carl Gustav Carus, Technische Universitat Dresden, Dresden, Deutschland
Z Rheumatol 66:556, 58-61. 2007....
- [New knowledge on the pathophysiology and therapy of gout]A So
Service de Rhumatologie, Département de Médicine, CHU Vaudois, University of Lausanne, 1011, Lausanne, Schweiz
Z Rheumatol 66:562, 564-7. 2007..The inflammatory effects of MSU are IL-1-dependent and can be blocked by IL-1 inhibitors. These advances provide new therapeutic targets to treat hyperuricemia and gout...
- [Antinociceptive effects of the combination metamizol + morphine in rats with intense pain (arthritic gout-type pain produced with AU)]Beatriz Godínez-Chaparro
Departamento de Farmacobiologia, CINVESTAV Sede Sur, Mexico, D F, Mexico
Cir Cir 75:371-6. 2007..The antinociceptive effects of metamizol and morphine administered either separately or in combination were determined in the "Pain-Induced Functional Impairment Model in the Rat" (PIFIR antinociceptive model)...
- Spondyloarthritis as a presentation of gouty arthritisMaria Justiniano
Section of Rheumatology, Department of Medicine, Louisiana State University Health Sciences Center, New Orleans, LA 70112 2282, USA
J Rheumatol 34:1157-8. 2007
- Crystal-associated arthritis in the elderlyChristopher M Wise
Internal Medicine, Division of Rheumatology, Allergy, and Immunology, Medical College of Virginia, Virginia Commonwealth University Health System, 417 North 11th Street, Box 980647, Richmond, VA 23298, USA
Rheum Dis Clin North Am 33:33-55. 2007..The variable manifestations of crystal-induced arthritis in elderly populations has led to a greater need for proper diagnosis and treatment strategies for these increasingly common forms of arthritis...
- [Pathological mechanisms of gouty arthritis]Tohru Akahoshi
Department of General Medicine, Kitasato University School of Medicine
Nihon Rinsho 66:705-10. 2008..Furthermore, pathological significance of NALP 3 inflammasome in gout has been also demonstrated. These findings provide a new insight into the mechanisms underlying the initiation of MSU crystal-induced acute inflammation...
- Updates in the management of goutMichael P Keith
Uniformed Services University of the Health Sciences, Bethesda, Maryland, USA
Am J Med 120:221-4. 2007..The clinical stages of gout include asymptomatic hyperuricemia, intermittent gouty arthritis, and chronic tophaceous gout...
- Crystal arthritis: contemporary approaches to diseases of antiquityMark Lillicrap
Department of Rheumatology, Hinchingbrooke Hospital NHS Trust, Huntingdon
Clin Med 7:60-4. 2007
- Gout and related morbid conditions: pharmacological and SPA therapyL Petraccia
Department of Clinics and Medical Therapy, Umberto I Hospital, University of Rome, La Sapienza, Rome, Italy
Minerva Med 99:203-12. 2008b>Gouty arthritis is estimated to be the most frequent manifestation of inflammatory arthritis in men aged over 40...
- Crystal-associated synovitis- ultrasonographic feature and clinical correlationDanela Fodor
2nd Internal Medicine and Rheumatology Department, Iuliu Hatieganu University of Medicine and Pharmacy, Cluj Napoca, Romania
Ortop Traumatol Rehabil 10:99-110. 2008..Therefore ultrasonography is useful in characterize the articular and juxta-articular alterations in crystal related diseases...
- Case 8: initiation of urate-lowering therapy for standard advanced goutJ Michael Finley
Department of Medicine, Western University College of Osteopathic Medicine of the Pacific, Pomona, California, USA
Am J Med 119:S25-8. 2006
- Using serum urate levels to determine the period free of gouty symptoms after withdrawal of long-term urate-lowering therapy: a prospective studyFernando Perez-Ruiz
Seccion de Reumatologia, Hospital de Cruces, Pais Vasco, Spain
Arthritis Rheum 55:786-90. 2006Withdrawal of urate-lowering therapy (ULT) is associated with recurrence of acute gouty arthritis and tophi, but no data are available about factors associated with recurrence of gouty symptoms...
- Rapid induction of peroxisome proliferator-activated receptor gamma expression in human monocytes by monosodium urate monohydrate crystalsTohru Akahoshi
Department of Laboratory Medicine, Kitasato University School of Medicine, Sagamihara, Kanagawa, Japan
Arthritis Rheum 48:231-9. 2003..This study was undertaken to evaluate the biologic role of PPAR gamma in self-limiting episodes of acute gouty arthritis. To do this, we investigated PPAR gamma expression by monosodium urate monohydrate (MSU) crystal-stimulated ..
- Homozygous frameshift mutation in the SLC22A12 gene in a patient with primary gout and high levels of serum uric acidJ Vazquez-Mellado
Rheumatology Service, Hospital General de Mexico, Facultad de Medicina, Universidad Nacional Autonoma de Mexico, Mexico DF, Mexico
J Clin Pathol 60:947-8. 2007
- Does rofecoxib increase TNF-alpha levels?S Nalbant
Gata Heh Iç Hastaliklari Servisi, Haydarpasa, Istanbul, Turkey
Clin Exp Rheumatol 24:361-5. 2006..However, this study was designed to study possible effects of rofecoxib on the level of TNF-alpha by using MSU crystal induced inflammation in the rat subcutaneous air pouch model...
- [European League Against Rheumatism evidence-based recommendations for diagnosis and management of gout]B Grusch
Medizinische Abteilung, NO Zentrum für Rheumatologie, Landesklinikum Weinviertel Stockerau, Karl Landsteiner Institut für Klinische Rheumatologie, Landstrasse 18, 2000, Stockerau, Osterreich
Z Rheumatol 66:568-72. 2007..It constituted the primary goal of the EULAR project to deliver a substantial contribution to improve routine care of affected patients...
- Effects of Rebixiao granules on blood uric acid in patients with repeatedly attacking acute gouty arthritisWei Ji
Rheumatism Immunity Department of The First Hospital Affiliated to Nanjing University of Traditional Chinese Medicine
Chin J Integr Med 11:15-21. 2005To observe the clinical effect of Rebixiao granule (RBXG) in treating repeatedly attacking acute gouty arthritis and through experimental study on blood uric acid to explore RBXG's therapeutic mechanism.
- [Diagnosis of gout]Eliseo Pascual Gómez
Med Clin (Barc) 123:798. 2004
- [Colchicine]L Ben Slama
Service de Stomatologie et de Chirurgie Maxillo Faciale, Hopital de la Salpetriere, 45, Bd de l Hopital, 75013 Paris, France
Rev Stomatol Chir Maxillofac 103:128-9. 2002
- Gout and hyperuricemiaRobert L Wortmann
Department of Internal Medicine, The University of Oklahoma College of Medicine, Tulsa 74135, USA
Curr Opin Rheumatol 14:281-6. 2002..Uricosuric agents are also effective urate-lowering agents and provide an alternative to allopurinol. Strategies to treat patients who are sensitive to allopurinol continue to evolve...
- Diagnosing gouty arthritisDavid Kane
Centre for Rheumatic Diseases, Glasgow Royal Infirmary
Practitioner 246:260-2, 264-5. 2002
- [Uric acid, a neglected molecule--the value of imaging]P Vock
Institut für Diagnostische, Interventionelle und Pädiatrische Radiologie der Universität Bern, Inselspital, Bern
Ther Umsch 61:557-62. 2004..Gout of the musculoskeletal system usually manifests as an acute gouty arthritis after a long-standing asymptomatic hyperuricemia...
- Hyperuricemia and urate nephropathy in urate oxidase-deficient miceX Wu
Institute for Molecular Genetics, Baylor College of Medicine, Houston, TX 77030
Proc Natl Acad Sci U S A 91:742-6. 1994..the human during primate evolution predisposes man to hyperuricemia, a metabolic disturbance that can lead to gouty arthritis and renal stones...
- Acute gout attack in the wrist jointTakeshi Kamimura
Department of Medicine, Utsunomiya Social Insurance Hospital, Tochigi
Intern Med 43:641-2. 2004
- Treatment of acute gouty arthritis: one physician's approach and where this management stands relative to developments in the fieldRobert L Wortmann
Department of Internal Medicine, The University of Oklahoma College of Medicine, 4502 East 41st Street, Tulsa, OK 74137, USA
Curr Rheumatol Rep 6:235-9. 2004An attack of acute gouty arthritis is one the most painful episodes that can be experienced by humans. Fortunately, there are three classes of agents that can effectively terminate the acute attack...
- The epidemiology of hyperuricemia in children of Taiwan aboriginesChiu Shong Liu
Department of Family Medicine, Center of Community Health, China Medical College Hospital, Taichung, Taiwan
J Rheumatol 30:841-5. 2003To explore the factors influencing serum uric acid concentrations and the prevalence of hyperuricemia in aboriginal children from an area in Taiwan with a high prevalence of gouty arthritis.
- [Gout and hyperuricaemia--should both be treated?]Till Uhlig
Nasjonalt revmatologisk rehabiliterings og kompetansesenter, Revmatologisk avdeling, Diakonhjemmet sykehus, 0319 Oslo
Tidsskr Nor Laegeforen 123:2878-80. 2003..As prophylactic long-term treatment of recurring attacks, allopurinol, probenicide and colchicine are therapeutic alternatives. There is still no consensus on the treatment of individuals with asymptomatic hyperuricaemia...
- [Gout]W Grobner
Kreisklinik Balingen, Akademisches Lehrkrankenhaus der Universität Tübingen, Tübinger Str 30, 72336, Balingen, Germany
Z Rheumatol 63:2-9. 2004..Prophylaxis of acute uric acid nephropathy consists of hydration, urine alkalinization and administration of allopurinol or rasburicase. For treatment of acute uric acid nephropathy rasburicase is the drug of choice...
- Gout: a clinical and radiologic reviewJohnny U V Monu
Department of Musculoskeletal Radiology, University of Rochester School of Medicine and Dentistry, 601 Elmwood Avenue, Box 648, Rochester, NY 14642, USA
Radiol Clin North Am 42:169-84. 2004..Acute episodes are treated with colchicine, NSAIDs, or steroids. Long-term management includes treatment with uricosuric agents or xanthine oxidase inhibitors...
- [Gout and its differential diagnosis]P M Villiger
Klinik für Rheumatologie und Klinische Immunologie Allergologie, Universitatsspital Bern, Inselspital, Bern
Ther Umsch 61:563-6. 2004..Serum uric acid levels should be normalized in order to prevent recurrence of arthritis...
- Clinical analysis for the acupuncture treatment in 42 cases of gouty renal damageXiaoping Ma
Hai an County Hospital of Traditional Chinese Medicine, Jiangsu Province 226600
J Tradit Chin Med 24:185-7. 2004..To observe the therapeutic effects of acupuncture on gouty renal damage...
- Casebook: polyarthropathyDavid Coady
Freeman Hospital, Newcastle upon Tyne
Practitioner 246:715, 718, 721 passim. 2002
- Gout: diagnosis, pathogenesis, and clinical manifestationsC A Agudelo
Rheumatology Section, Emory University School of Medicine, and Atlanta Veterans Affairs Medical Center, Decatur, Georgia, USA
Curr Opin Rheumatol 13:234-9. 2001..Clinically, rare complications and disease manifestations in new populations continue to be discussed, and diagnostic methods continue to be refined...
- [Gout, colchicine and a couple of beers]Juan C Duró
Med Clin (Barc) 123:798-9; author reply 799. 2004
- A swollen kneeRichard P Usatine
Florida State University College of Medicine, Tallahassee, FL 32306 4300, USA
J Fam Pract 52:53-5. 2003
- [Gouty arthritis]Toshikazu Yamanouchi
Department of Internal Medicine, Teikyo University School of Medicine
Nihon Rinsho 61:213-8. 2003
- The incidence of gout in patients with Dupuytren's diseaseR F Adam
Stafford District General Hospital
J Hand Surg Br 17:219-20. 1992..5%. The mean serum uric acid was 330 mumol/l. (5.5 mg./100 ml.) in men and 240 mumol./l. (4.0 mg./100 ml.) in women. The rate of hyperuricaemia was 7%. These are not significantly higher than the expected figures in Britain...
- Strong association between HLA-B*5801 and allopurinol-induced Stevens-Johnson syndrome and toxic epidermal necrolysis in a Thai populationWichittra Tassaneeyakul
Departments of Pharmacology, Khon Kaen University, Khon Kaen, Thailand
Pharmacogenet Genomics 19:704-9. 2009Allopurinol, a uric acid lowering drug commonly used for hyperuricemia and gouty arthritis, has been reported as a common cause of severe cutaneous adverse drug reactions (SCAR) including Stevens-Johnson syndrome (SJS) and toxic ..
- The biochemical basis of the neurobehavioral abnormalities in the Lesch-Nyhan syndrome: a hypothesisVladimir Kostadinov Neychev
Department of Chemistry and Biochemistry, Medical University, 2 Zdrave Str, Sofia 1431, Bulgaria
Med Hypotheses 63:131-4. 2004..results in uric acid overproduction with subsequent hyperuricemia, nephrolithiasis, renal failure and gouty arthritis. In contrast, at complete HPRT deficiency, besides overproduction of uric acid neurological problems appear ..
- What do I need to know about gout?Michael A Becker
Department of Medicine, University of Chicago Medical Center, Chicago, IL, USA
J Fam Pract 59:S1-8. 2010Many patients with gout present with an acute attack (flare) of gouty arthritis. In its early stages, gout is a chronic, often silent disorder punctuated by acute, extremely painful arthritic flares...
- The effect of control and self-medication of chronic gout in a developing country. Outcome after 10 yearsJohn Darmawan
World Health Organization Collaborating Center, Community based Epidemiology, Prevention, and Treatment of Rheumatic Disease, Seroja Rheumatic Center, Jalan Seroja Dalam 7, Semarang 50136, Indonesia
J Rheumatol 30:2437-43. 2003..We describe a 10 year observation of the effect of control of hyperuricemia compared with self-medication alone in patients with chronic gout...
- Gout: an updateAaron T Eggebeen
University of Pittsburgh Arthritis Institute, Pittsburgh, Pennsylvania 15261, USA
Am Fam Physician 76:801-8. 2007Arthritis caused by gout (i.e., gouty arthritis) accounts for millions of outpatient visits annually, and the prevalence is increasing...
- A Regulatory Checkpoint in the Pathogenesis of Inflammatory ArthritisChristian Stehlik; Fiscal Year: 2013..plays a significant role in inflammation in a variety of forms of inflammatory arthritis, including gouty arthritis, Systemic-onset Juvenile idiopathic arthritis and adult-onset Still's disease and mediates synovial ..
- Impact of Unapproved Drug Initiative on Colchicine UseEswar Krishnan; Fiscal Year: 20137. Project Summary/Abstract High dose oral colchicine has been utilized for the treatment of acute gouty arthritis for several centuries...
- Preclinical Development of Uricase-PEG 20JOHN BOMALASKI; Fiscal Year: 2002Hyperuricemia (elevated serum uric acid) results in gouty arthritis and chronic renal disease...
- MUTATIONAL ANALYSIS OF A PARASITE PURINE SALVAGE ENZYMESYDNEY CRAIG; Fiscal Year: 2001..absence HPRT activity is responsible for Lesch-Nyhan syndrome, while a partial deficiency can result in gouty arthritis. In contrast, most parasites are unable to synthesize purines via de novo pathways, and must rely on enzymes ..
- UNDERSTANDING THE DESIGN OF MOLECULAR MOTORSJohn Murray; Fiscal Year: 2000..with microtubule-based motile systems have therapeutic applications in humans: colchicine, used for in gouty arthritis; vincristine, vinblastine, and taxol, used for their anti-mitotic effects against a variety of neoplasms; ..
- IDIOTYPES OF RHEUMATOID FACTORSGeorge Moxley; Fiscal Year: 1990..elevations of C3 anaphylatoxins in synovial fluids of patients with rheumatoid arthritis (RA) and acute gouty arthritis. The hypothesis to be examined in this proposal is that patients with RA produce rheumatoid factors (RFs) ..
- ANK and Joint Ankylosis in SpondylitisRobert Terkeltaub; Fiscal Year: 2008..These studies will identify novel targets for enthesopathic bone fusion in spondyloarthritis. ..
- PTHRP 1 to 173 IN CHONDROCYTESRobert Terkeltaub; Fiscal Year: 2005..Completion of these studies will indicate not only how PTHrP 1-173 can modulate OA, but also how functional properties of the PTHrP 1-173 C-terminal 140-173 domain can be harnessed to promote cartilage repair. ..
- Chondrocyte S100/Calgranulins and RAGE in OsteoarthritisRobert Terkeltaub; Fiscal Year: 2009..Completion of the work will reveal new potential targets for therapeutic intervention in OA by disconnecting inflammation from deleterious alteration of chondrocyte differentiation and function. ..
- IL-8 in chondrocalcinosisRU BRYAN; Fiscal Year: 2005..The completion of this study has the potential to provide a foundation for novel chemokine and signal transduction-based therapeutic strategies for treatment of chondrocalcinosis in OA and aging. ..
- Innate Immunity in gouty InflammationRU BRYAN; Fiscal Year: 2008..Completion of this work will help further understanding the mechanisms of acute gouty inflammation, how to control gouty arthritis and potentially other forms of crystal-induced inflammation. [unreadable] [unreadable] [unreadable]
- NEUROBIOLOGY OF DYSTONIAHYDER JINNAH; Fiscal Year: 2008..In addition, the studies will have direct relevance for modern neurosurgical approaches to the management of dystonia that involve focal brain stimulation or lesion techniques. [unreadable] [unreadable]..
- LYME DISEASE--HOST PARASITE INTERACTIONSSTEPHEN MALAWISTA; Fiscal Year: 2003..These studies may provide the technical and conceptual basis for improvements in diagnostic and prognostic aspects of inflammatory diseases. ..
- Neurobiology of Self-Injurious BehaviorHYDER JINNAH; Fiscal Year: 2005..These studies have direct relevance for understanding the neuroanatomical and neurochemical basis for self-injurious behavior and direct implications for a potential novel treatment strategy. ..
- Resolution of Gouty InflammationSTEPHEN MALAWISTA; Fiscal Year: 2008..concepts and evolving methodologies, this laboratory has kept returning over 4 decades to the study of acute gouty arthritis, both for its intrinsic importance and as a model of the acute inflammatory response...
- RA Comorbidity Bone Health in Men and African AmericansTed Mikuls; Fiscal Year: 2008..Mikuls' continued development as an independent clinical investigator. ..
- Role of Flip MacrophagesRichard Pope; Fiscal Year: 2007..These studies will provide insights into mechanisms that contribute to the pathogenesis of RA and potentially the development of new therapeutic strategies. ..
- Molecular Identification of an Endogenous AdjuvantYan Shi; Fiscal Year: 2006..In all assays, the substance will be tested side by side with uric acid crystals for a direct comparison of their potencies. ..
- The biological relevance of adenosine deamination in immune activationYan Shi; Fiscal Year: 2008..This study deals with a new concept in immune regulation, and will have impact on vaccine development, autoimmune disease intervention and cancer immunotherapy. [unreadable] [unreadable] [unreadable] [unreadable]..
- ANDROGEN AS ADJUNCT THERAPY IN RHEUMATOID ARTHRITISJohn Davis; Fiscal Year: 2002..abstract_text> ..
- The role of Mcl-1 in the macrophages and RARichard Pope; Fiscal Year: 2007..RESEARCH GRANT TABLE OF CONTENTS Page Numbers Face Page.................................................................................................................................................. 1 Description, ..