Genomes and Genes
Summary: A syndrome in the elderly characterized by proximal joint and muscle pain, high erythrocyte sedimentation rate, and a self-limiting course. Pain is usually accompanied by evidence of an inflammatory reaction. Women are affected twice as commonly as men and Caucasians more frequently than other groups. The condition is frequently associated with TEMPORAL ARTERITIS and some theories pose the possibility that the two diseases arise from a single etiology or even that they are the same entity.
Publications301 found, 100 shown here
- Giant cell arteritis and polymyalgia rheumatica: pathophysiology and managementMiguel A Gonzalez-Gay
Division of Rheumatology, Hospital Xeral Calde, Lugo, Spain
Drugs Aging 23:627-49. 2006Giant cell arteritis (GCA) and polymyalgia rheumatica (PMR) are common and often concurrent diseases in Western countries in individuals aged >50 years. Clinical features of GCA are mainly due to involvement of the cranial arteries...
- Clinical outcomes, quality of life, and diagnostic uncertainty in the first year of polymyalgia rheumaticaAndrew Hutchings
London School of Hygiene and Tropical Medicine, London, UK
Arthritis Rheum 57:803-9. 2007To evaluate the impact of polymyalgia rheumatica (PMR) on clinical outcomes and quality of life (QOL); the relationship between laboratory measures and clinical outcomes, and changes in QOL; and agreement between rheumatologists in ..
- Polymyalgia rheumatica and giant-cell arteritisCarlo Salvarani
Rheumatology Service, Arcispedale S Maria Nuova, Reggio Emilia, Italy
N Engl J Med 347:261-71. 2002
- Incidence of diagnosed polymyalgia rheumatica and temporal arteritis in the United Kingdom, 1990-2001L Smeeth
Department of Epidemiology and Population Health, London School of Hygiene and Tropical Medicine, Keppel Street, London WC1E 7HT, UK
Ann Rheum Dis 65:1093-8. 2006To investigate time trends, geographical variation, and seasonality in the incidence of diagnosis of polymyalgia rheumatica (PMR) and temporal arteritis (TA) in the United Kingdom.
- Tocilizumab for the treatment of large-vessel vasculitis (giant cell arteritis, Takayasu arteritis) and polymyalgia rheumaticaS Unizony
Massachusetts General Hospital, Boston, USA
Arthritis Care Res (Hoboken) 64:1720-9. 2012The interleukin-6 pathway is up-regulated in giant cell arteritis (GCA), Takayasu arteritis (TA), and polymyalgia rheumatica (PMR)...
- Corticosteroid requirements in polymyalgia rheumaticaC M Weyand
Department of Medicine, Mayo Clinic and Foundation, Rochester, Minn 55905, USA
Arch Intern Med 159:577-84. 1999b>Polymyalgia rheumatica (PMR) is a systemic inflammatory disease of unknown cause that affects older individuals...
- Statin-associated polymyalgia rheumatica. An analysis using WHO global individual case safety database: a case/non-case approachHilda J I de Jong
Laboratory for Health Protection Research, National Institute for Public Health and the Environment, Bilthoven, The Netherlands
PLoS ONE 7:e41289. 2012..To assess whether there is an association between statin use and the occurrence of polymyalgia rheumatic (PMR) in the spontaneous reporting database of the World Health Organisation (WHO)...
- Definition of remission and relapse in polymyalgia rheumatica: data from a literature search compared with a Delphi-based expert consensusChristian Dejaco
Correspondence to Professor Michael Schirmer, Department of Internal Medicine I, Innsbruck Medical University, Anichstrasse 35, A 6020 Innsbruck, Austria
Ann Rheum Dis 70:447-53. 2011To compare current definitions of remission and relapse in polymyalgia rheumatica (PMR) with items resulting from a Delphi-based expert consensus.
- The lifetime risk of adult-onset rheumatoid arthritis and other inflammatory autoimmune rheumatic diseasesCynthia S Crowson
Mayo Clinic, Rochester, Minnesota 55905, USA
Arthritis Rheum 63:633-9. 2011..inflammatory autoimmune rheumatic diseases, including systemic lupus erythematosus, psoriatic arthritis, polymyalgia rheumatica (PMR), giant cell arteritis, ankylosing spondylitis, and Sjögren's syndrome, and to provide an overall ..
- A comparison of the sensitivity of diagnostic criteria for polymyalgia rheumaticaH A Bird
University of Leeds, UK
Ann Rheum Dis 64:626-9. 2005To compare the performance of the several different diagnostic criteria sets currently in use for polymyalgia rheumatica (PMR).
- Use of physician services in a population-based cohort of patients with polymyalgia rheumatica over the course of their diseaseHilal Maradit Kremers
Mayo Clinic College of Medicine, Rochester, Minnesota 55905, USA
Arthritis Rheum 53:395-403. 2005To describe the use of generalist and rheumatologist services in a population-based cohort of patients with polymyalgia rheumatica (PMR) and to identify predictors of rheumatology care.
- Acute-phase reactants and the risk of relapse/recurrence in polymyalgia rheumatica: a prospective followup studyCarlo Salvarani
Arcispedale S Maria Nuova, Reggio Emilia, Italy
Arthritis Rheum 53:33-8. 2005To determine laboratory parameters that may be useful in identifying polymyalgia rheumatica (PMR) patients who require long-term corticosteroid therapy.
- Treatment of refractory polymyalgia rheumatica with etanercept: an open pilot studyMaria Grazia Catanoso
Arcispedale Santa Maria Nuova, Reggio Emilia, Italy
Arthritis Rheum 57:1514-9. 2007To investigate whether etanercept has a steroid-sparing effect in the treatment of patients with relapsing polymyalgia rheumatica (PMR).
- Giant-cell arteritis and polymyalgia rheumaticaCornelia M Weyand
Mayo Clinic, Rochester, Minnesota 55905, USA
Ann Intern Med 139:505-15. 2003..presenting as an intense systemic inflammatory syndrome with nonstenosing vasculitis; and "isolated" polymyalgia rheumatica with myalgias, systemic inflammation, and subclinical vasculitis...
- Correlation between 18-fluorodeoxyglucose accumulation in large vessels and serological markers of inflammation in polymyalgia rheumatica: a quantitative PET studyF Moosig
2nd Medical Department, University Hospital of Schleswig Holstein, Campus Kiel, Chemnitzstr 33, 24116 Kiel, Germany
Ann Rheum Dis 63:870-3. 2004To quantify 18-fluorodeoxyglucose (FDG) accumulation in large vessels in patients with polymyalgia rheumatica by positron emission tomography (PET), and to compare these data with serological markers of inflammation.
- Adrenal gland hypofunction in active polymyalgia rheumatica. effect of glucocorticoid treatment on adrenal hormones and interleukin 6Maurizio Cutolo
Department of Internal Medicine and Medical Specialities, University of Genova, Italy
J Rheumatol 29:748-56. 2002To evaluate hypothalamic-pituitary-adrenal (HPA) axis function in patients with recent onset polymyalgia rheumatica (PMR) not previously treated with glucocorticoids; and to detect possible correlations between adrenal hormone levels, ..
- Serum cytokines and steroidal hormones in polymyalgia rheumatica and elderly-onset rheumatoid arthritisM Cutolo
Department of Internal Medicine, Research Laboratory and Division of Rheumatology, University Hospital San Martino, Viale Benedetto XV no 6, 16132 Genova, Italy
Ann Rheum Dis 65:1438-43. 2006b>Polymyalgia rheumatica (PMR) may create some difficulties in the differential diagnosis of elderly-onset rheumatoid arthritis (EORA) and of EORA with PMR-like onset (EORA/PMR).
- Prednisone plus methotrexate for polymyalgia rheumatica: a randomized, double-blind, placebo-controlled trialRoberto Caporali
University of Pavia, Pavia, Italy
Ann Intern Med 141:493-500. 2004Steroids are the standard treatment for polymyalgia rheumatica. The efficacy of the candidate drug methotrexate has not yet been demonstrated in controlled studies.
- Fusobacterium nucleatum endocarditis mimicking polymyalgia rheumaticaGiuseppe Vittorio L De Socio
Department of Infectious Diseases Santa Maria della Misericordia Hospital, University of Perugia, Italy
South Med J 102:1082-4. 2009..patient presented with a headache and nonspecific musculoskeletal symptoms and was misdiagnosed as having polymyalgia rheumatica. The diagnosis of bacterial endocarditis was delayed because of an insidious presentation, typical in ..
- Sex differences in temporal arteritis and polymyalgia rheumaticaJavier Narvaez
Department of Rheumatology, Hospital Principes de Espaãna, Ciudad Sanitaria y Universitaria de Bellvitge, Barcelona, Spain
J Rheumatol 29:321-5. 2002Sex-specific differences in treatment outcomes have been observed in polymyalgia rheumatica (PMR) and temporal arteritis (TA), with a significantly longer course of treatment in women than in men...
- Hypothalamic-pituitary-adrenocortical axis function in patients with polymyalgia rheumatica and giant cell arteritisMaria J Bartolome Pacheco
Division of Immunology, Hospital Universitario Marques de Valdecilla, Facultad de Medicina, Universidad de Cantabria, Santander, Spain
Semin Arthritis Rheum 32:266-72. 2003Giant cell arteritis (GCA) and polymyalgia rheumatica (PMR) are 2 closely related syndromes affecting elderly people...
- More night than day--circadian rhythms in polymyalgia rheumatica and ankylosing spondylitisCornelia M Spies
Department of Rheumatology and Clinical Immunology, Charite University Hospital, Campus Mitte, Berlin, Germany
J Rheumatol 37:894-9. 2010..This review summarizes the current knowledge on circadian rhythms in other rheumatic diseases, focusing on polymyalgia rheumatica and ankylosing spondylitis.
- Ultrasonographic monitoring of response to therapy in polymyalgia rheumaticaM Jiménez-Palop
Department of Rheumatology, Hospital Universitario Puerta de Hierro Majadahonda, Martin Iriarte 59, Madrid 28290, Spain
Ann Rheum Dis 69:879-82. 2010To assess the responsiveness of ultrasound (US) inflammatory findings in the shoulder and hip of patients with polymyalgia rheumatica (PMR) who started treatment with corticosteroids.
- Aortic stiffness is increased in polymyalgia rheumatica and improves after steroid treatmentGiuseppe Schillaci
Medicina Interna, Angiologia e Malattie da Arteriosclerosi, Universita degli Studi di Perugia, Ospedale S Maria della Misericordia piazzale G Menghini, 1 06129 Perugia, Italy
Ann Rheum Dis 71:1151-6. 2012..b>Polymyalgia rheumatica (PMR), a disease which affects primarily older people, is characterised by a systemic inflammatory ..
- Serum levels of long pentraxin PTX3 in patients with polymyalgia rheumaticaL Pulsatelli
Istituto Ortopedico Rizzoli, IRCCS, Bologna, Italy
Clin Exp Rheumatol 28:756-8. 2010..To evaluate PTX3 feasibility to provide a prognostic tool in PMR clinical practice...
- Whole-body fluorodeoxyglucose positron emission tomography/computed tomography in patients with active polymyalgia rheumatica: evidence for distinctive bursitis and large-vessel vasculitisHiroyuki Yamashita
Division of Rheumatic Diseases, National Center for Global Health and Medicine, 1 21 1 Toyama, Shinjuku ku, Tokyo, Japan
Mod Rheumatol 22:705-11. 2012..fluorodeoxyglucose (FDG) accumulation in large joints, bursas, and large vessels in patients with polymyalgia rheumatica (PMR) using 18-FDG positron emission tomography/computed tomography (PET/CT) and to differentiate PMR from ..
- Toll-like receptor 4 gene polymorphisms in polymyalgia rheumatica and elderly-onset rheumatoid arthritisLorena Alvarez-Rodriguez
Division of Rheumatology, Hospital Universitario Marques de Valdecilla IFIMAV Universidad de Cantabria, Spain
Clin Exp Rheumatol 29:795-800. 2011..two of these polymorphisms (Asp299Gly and Thr399Ile) of TLR4 contribute to the genetic background of polymyalgia rheumatica (PMR) and elderly-onset rheumatoid arthritis (EORA)...
- Phagocyte dysfunction in polymyalgia rheumatica and other age-related, chronic, inflammatory conditionsLorena Alvarez-Rodriguez
1 Facultad de Medicina Universidad de Cantabria, Avda Valdecilla s n 39008 Santander, Spain
J Leukoc Biol 94:1071-8. 2013..We concluded that the effector functions of phagocytes, determined to be chemotaxis, phagocytosis, and oxidative burst, are deregulated in age-restricted inflammatory disorders and may have a pathogenic role...
- Hypothalamic-pituitary-adrenal axis impairment in the pathogenesis of rheumatoid arthritis and polymyalgia rheumaticaM Cutolo
University of Genova, Genova, Italy
J Endocrinol Invest 25:19-23. 2002..role in the pathogenesis of autoimmune/inflammatory diseases such as rheumatoid arthritis (RA) and polymyalgia rheumatica (PMR)...
- 2012 Provisional classification criteria for polymyalgia rheumatica: a European League Against Rheumatism/American College of Rheumatology collaborative initiativeBhaskar Dasgupta
Southend University Hospital, Westcliff on Sea, UK
Arthritis Rheum 64:943-54. 2012..to develop European League Against Rheumatism/American College of Rheumatology classification criteria for polymyalgia rheumatica (PMR)...
- Association of ferritin autoantibodies with giant cell arteritis/polymyalgia rheumaticaN T Baerlecken
Department of Immunology and Rheumatology, Medical University, Hannover, Germany
Ann Rheum Dis 71:943-7. 2012b>Polymyalgia rheumatica (PMR) and giant cell arteritis (GCA) are relatively common inflammatory disorders. Establishing the diagnosis however may be difficult, since so far no specific biomarkers of the disorders are available.
- Polymyalgia rheumatica: diagnosis, prescribing, and monitoring in general practiceToby Helliwell
Arthritis Research UK Primary Care Centre, Primary Care Sciences, Keele University, Keele, Staffordshire
Br J Gen Pract 63:e361-6. 2013b>Polymyalgia rheumatica (PMR) is a common rheumatological disorder of older patients. The majority of UK patients are diagnosed and managed exclusively in general practice...
- Giant cell arteritis and polymyalgia rheumatica: usefulness of vascular magnetic resonance imaging studies in the diagnosis of aortitisJ Narvaez
Department of Rheumatology, Hospitalet de Llobregat, Barcelona, Spain
Rheumatology (Oxford) 44:479-83. 2005..We report our preliminary experience with this imaging technique in the study of the aorta and its proximal branches in patients with GCA and/or polymyalgia rheumatica (PMR).
- High frequency of capsular knee involvement in polymyalgia rheumatica/giant cell arteritis patients studied by positron emission tomographyMarco A Cimmino
Clinica Reumatologica, Dipartimento di Medicina Interna e Specialita Mediche, Viale Benedetto XV, 6, 16132 Genova, Italy
Rheumatology (Oxford) 52:1865-72. 2013..This study was designed to evaluate by PET/CT the knees of patients with PMR and GCA and to identify the knee structures involved by inflammation...
- Polymyalgia rheumatica and interspinous FDG uptake on PET/CTHuman Adams
Department of Nuclear Medicine and PET Research, VU University Medical Center, Amsterdam, The Netherlands
Clin Nucl Med 37:502-5. 2012b>Polymyalgia rheumatica (PMR) is an inflammatory disease with macrophage infiltration and CD4+ T-lymphocytes-related mild synovitis commonly causing neck, shoulder, and hip stiffness in patients older than 50 years...
- Acute dissecting thoracic aortic aneurysm in a patient with polymyalgia rheumaticaTomohiro Koga
Department of General Internal Medicine, NHO National Nagasaki Medical Center, Nagasaki, Japan
Am J Med Sci 334:386-8. 2007Giant cell arteritis (GCA) and polymyalgia rheumatica (PMR) are closely related disorders found in older patients, and vasculitis has been proposed as a part of the pathogenesis of PMR...
- Efficacy and tolerability of leflunomide in difficult-to-treat polymyalgia rheumatica and giant cell arteritis: a case seriesT Adizie
Rheumatology Research Fellow, Southend University Hospital
Int J Clin Pract 66:906-9. 2012b>Polymyalgia rheumatica (PMR) and giant cell arteritis (GCA) are related inflammatory rheumatic conditions affecting adults over the age of 50 years. Both conditions respond to initial glucocorticoid (GC) therapy...
- Crowned dens syndrome misdiagnosed as polymyalgia rheumatica, giant cell arteritis, meningitis or spondylitis: an analysis of eight casesA Aouba
Department of Rheumatology, Hôpital Ballanger, boulevard R Ballanger, 93600 Aulnay sous Bois, France
Rheumatology (Oxford) 43:1508-12. 2004..The crowned dens syndrome, related to microcrystalline deposition in the peri-odontoid articular and abarticular structures, is mainly responsible for acute or chronic cervical pain...
- Increased frequency of malignancy found in patients presenting with new-onset polymyalgic symptoms suggested to have polymyalgia rheumaticaGlenn Haugeberg
Arthritis Rheum 47:346-7. 2002
- Low serum levels of DHEAS in untreated polymyalgia rheumatica/giant cell arteritisJavier Narvaez
Department of Rheumatology, Hospital Universitari de Bellvitge Institut d Investigació Biomédica de Bellvitge IDIBELL, Spain
J Rheumatol 33:1293-8. 2006..a controversy regarding the existence of a relative adrenal hypofunction in patients with untreated polymyalgia rheumatica (PMR) and giant cell arteritis (GCA) we evaluated baseline serum levels of ACTH, cortisol, and DHEAS in a ..
- Familial aggregation of polymyalgia rheumatica and giant cell arteritis: genetic and T cell repertoire analysisM J Bartolome
Division of Immunology, , Facultad de Medicina, Universidad de Cantabria, Santander, Spain
Clin Exp Rheumatol 19:259-64. 2001OBJECTIVE: Several reports of familial aggregation of giant cell arteritis (GCA) and polymyalgia rheumatica (PMR) have been described although detailed genetic and immunological studies are scarce...
- Serum amyloid A as a potent therapeutic marker in a refractory patient with polymyalgia rheumaticaYasuhiro Shimojima
Third Department of Medicine, Shinshu University School of Medicine, Matsumoto, Japan
Intern Med 44:1009-12. 2005We report a patient with polymyalgia rheumatica (PMR) who showed a relapse soon after tapering of oral prednisolone...
- No increased frequency of malignant neoplasms in polymyalgia rheumatica and temporal arteritis. A prospective longitudinal study of 398 cases and matched population controlsGeirmund Myklebust
Department of Rheumatology, Institute of Clinical Medicine, University of Tromso, Tromso, Norway
J Rheumatol 29:2143-7. 2002To determine the prevalence and incidence of cancer in patients with polymyalgia rheumatica (PMR) and temporal arteritis (TA) compared to matched population controls.
- Diagnosing late onset rheumatoid arthritis, polymyalgia rheumatica, and temporal arteritis in patients presenting with polymyalgic symptoms. A prospective longterm evaluationColin T Pease
Academic Unit of Musculoskeletal and Rehabilitation Medicine, University of Leeds, Leeds, UK
J Rheumatol 32:1043-6. 2005To examine for demographic and clinical differences between late onset rheumatoid arthritis (LORA), polymyalgia rheumatica (PMR), and temporal arteritis (TA) patients presenting with polymyalgic symptoms (PMS) and to identify baseline ..
- Similar effects of leucine rich and regular dairy products on muscle mass and functions of older polymyalgia rheumatica patients: a randomized crossover trialM P Bjorkman
Clinics of Internal Medicine and Geriatrics, Helsinki University Central Hospital, POB 340, FI 00029 HUS, Helsinki, Finland
J Nutr Health Aging 15:462-7. 2011..e. sarcopenia. The effects of milk protein supplementation and low intensity home based physical exercise on body composition and muscle functions were investigated...
- Rapid development of renal failure secondary to AA-type amyloidosis in a patient with polymyalgia rheumaticaMuhammad Masoom Javaid
Department of Nephrology, King s College Hospital NHS Foundation Trust, London SE5 9RS, UK
J Ren Care 36:199-202. 2010b>Polymyalgia rheumatica (PMR) is a common chronic inflammatory disorder affecting patients over the age of 50...
- The rate of polymyalgia rheumatica (PMR) and remitting seronegative symmetrical synovitis with pitting edema (RS3PE) syndrome in a clinic where primary care physicians are working in JapanToshikatsu Okumura
Department of General Medicine, Asahikawa Medical University, 2 1 1 Midorigaoka Higashi, Asahikawa, 078 8510, Japan
Rheumatol Int 32:1695-9. 2012We analyzed the rate of polymyalgia rheumatica (PMR) and remitting seronegative symmetrical synovitis with pitting edema (RS3PE) syndrome, both characterized as seronegative inflammatory arthritis in elderly, in an outpatient unit where ..
- Causes of death in polymyalgia rheumatica. A prospective longitudinal study of 315 cases and matched population controlsGeirmund Myklebust
Department of Rheumatology, Institute of Clinical Medicine, University of Tromsø, Tromsø, Norway
Scand J Rheumatol 32:38-41. 2003To determine causes of death in patients with pure polymyalgia rheumatica (PMR) compared to matched population controls.
- Elevated muscle interstitial levels of pain-inducing substances in symptomatic muscles in patients with polymyalgia rheumaticaFrederik Kreiner
Department of Rheumatology, Institute of Inflammation Research, Rigshospitalet, Copenhagen, Denmark
Pain 152:1127-32. 2011b>Polymyalgia rheumatica (PMR) is characterized by aching proximal muscles and systemic inflammation...
- Th1 and Th17 lymphocytes expressing CD161 are implicated in giant cell arteritis and polymyalgia rheumatica pathogenesisMaxime Samson
Université de Bourgogne and CHU Dijon le Bocage, Dijon, France
Arthritis Rheum 64:3788-98. 2012..The objective of this study was to decipher the role of the major CD4+ T cell subsets in GCA and its rheumatologic form, polymyalgia rheumatica (PMR).
- Glucocorticoid treatment of polymyalgia rheumaticaR Caporali
Division of Rheumatology, University of Pavia, IRCCS S Matteo Foundation, Pavia, Italy
Clin Exp Rheumatol 29:S143-7. 2011Glucocorticoids are the mainstay of treatment in patients with polymyalgia rheumatica (PMR)...
- Refractory polymyalgia rheumatica as presenting manifestation of large-vessel vasculitis associated to sarcoidosis. Successful response to adalimumabCarmen Bejerano
Rheumatology Division, Hospital Universitario Marques de Valdecilla, IFIMAV, Santander, Spain
Clin Exp Rheumatol 30:S94-7. 2012..We report on a patient who had been initially diagnosed as having polymyalgia rheumatica. Because of refractory disease associated to atypical features such as severe inflammatory low back pain, ..
- Cerivastatin-induced polymyalgia rheumatica-like illnessVincent Goeb
Clin Rheumatol 23:179. 2004
- Polymyalgia rheumatica in primary care: a cohort study of the diagnostic criteria and outcomeKevin Barraclough
Hoyland House General Practice, Painswick, Glos, UK
Fam Pract 25:328-33. 2008b>Polymyalgia rheumatica (PMR) is common and is usually diagnosed and managed in primary care. There are no generally accepted primary care criteria for diagnosis.
- Evaluation of the hypothalamic-pituitary-adrenal axis in untreated patients with polymyalgia rheumatica and healthy controlsH Demir
Department of Physical Medicine and Rehabilitation, Erciyes University Medical School, Kayseri, Turkey
Scand J Rheumatol 35:217-23. 2006To explore the hypothalamic-pituitary-adrenal (HPA) axis in polymyalgia rheumatica (PMR).
- Familial giant cell arteritis and polymyalgia rheumatica: aggregation in 2 familiesPieranna Fietta
Dipartimento Osteo Articolarem, Cattedra e UOC di Genetica Medica, Universita degli Studi di Parma, Italy
J Rheumatol 29:1551-5. 2002..and the reported association with some HLA class II antigens of both giant cell arteritis (GCA) and polymyalgia rheumatica (PMR) strongly suggest the role of genetic factors in the pathogenesis of these diseases...
- Imbalance between endothelial injury and repair in patients with polymyalgia rheumatica: improvement with corticosteroid treatmentM Pirro
Unit of Internal Medicine, Angiology and Arteriosclerosis, Department of Clinical and Experimental Medicine, University of Perugia, Perugia, Italy
J Intern Med 272:177-84. 2012b>Polymyalgia rheumatica (PMR) is a rheumatic disease that is characterized by intense activation of systemic inflammation...
- In polymyalgia rheumatica serum prolactin is positively correlated with the number of typical symptoms but not with typical inflammatory markersR H Straub
Department of Internal Medicine, University Medical Centre Regensburg, D 93042 Regensburg, Germany
Rheumatology (Oxford) 41:423-9. 2002..In the present study, we investigated the role of prolactin (PRL) in relation to the number of typical symptoms and serum markers of systemic inflammation in patients with polymyalgia rheumatica (PMR).
- Expression of the class I interferon-related MxA protein in temporal arteries in polymyalgia rheumatica and temporal arteritisC Nordborg
Department of Pathology, Sahlgrenska University Hospital, SE 41345 Goteborg, Sweden
Scand J Rheumatol 38:144-8. 2009The aim of this study was to assess the expression of the interferon type I (IFN-I)-associated MxA protein in polymyalgia rheumatica (PMR) and temporal arteritis (TA).
- F-18 FDG PET/CT in giant cell arteritis with polymyalgia rheumaticaDalton Alexandre Dos Anjos
Department of Nuclear Medicine and Radiology, Instituto de Medicina Nuclear e Endocrinologia de Brasília IMEB, Brasilia, Brazil
Clin Nucl Med 33:402-4. 2008
- A fresh look at polymyalgia rheumaticaA Samanta
Rheumatology (Oxford) 41:1455-6. 2002
- Similarities and differences in fluorodeoxyglucose positron emission tomography/computed tomography findings in spondyloarthropathy, polymyalgia rheumatica and rheumatoid arthritisHiroyuki Yamashita
Division of Rheumatic Diseases, National Center for Global Health and Medicine, 1 21 1 Toyama, Shinjuku ku, Tokyo, 162 8655, Japan
Joint Bone Spine 80:171-7. 2013..fluorine-18 ((18)F)-labelled fluorodeoxyglucose (FDG) positron emission tomography/computed tomography (PET/CT) findings in patients with seronegative spondyloarthritis (SpA), polymyalgia rheumatica (PMR), and rheumatoid arthritis (RA).
- Familial aggregation in giant cell arteritis and polymyalgia rheumatica: a comprehensive literature review including 4 new familiesE Liozon
Department of Internal Medicine, Dupuytren University Hospital, Limoges, France
Clin Exp Rheumatol 27:S89-94. 2009..To review personal and published observations of giant cell (temporal) arteritis (GCA) or polymyal-gia rheumatica (PMR) with familial or conjugal aggregation and emphasise on epidemiological, clinical and genetic features of such cases...
- Cancer risk in patients hospitalized with polymyalgia rheumatica and giant cell arteritis: a follow-up study in SwedenJianguang Ji
Center for Primary Health Care Research, Lund University, CRC, Hus 28, Plan 11, Ing 72, UMAS, 205 02 Malmo, Sweden
Rheumatology (Oxford) 49:1158-63. 2010..Studies reporting cancer risk after PMR and GCA are few, but it remains an issue of both concern and controversy. We examined the overall and specific cancer risks among Swedish subjects following hospitalization for these diseases...
- Laboratory investigations useful in the evaluation of polymyalgia rheumatica (PMR) and giant cell arteritis (GCA)B Hazleman
Rheumatology Department, Addenbrooke s Hospital, Cambridge, UK
Clin Exp Rheumatol 18:S29-31. 2000..Measurements of alpha 1-antichymotrypsin and IL-1 beta may be helpful in diagnosis and management but more studies are required...
- Methotrexate treatment in large vessel vasculitis and polymyalgia rheumaticaC M Spies
Department of Rheumatology and Clinical Immunology, Charite University Hospital, Campus Mitte, Berlin, Germany
Clin Exp Rheumatol 28:S172-7. 2010In large vessel vasculitis, including giant cell arteritis and Takayasu arteritis, as well as in polymyalgia rheumatica, glucocorticoid therapy is the treatment of choice...
- Polymyalgia rheumatica prevalence in a population-based sampleS Bernatsky
McGill University Health Centre, Montreal, Quebec, Canada
Arthritis Rheum 61:1264-7. 2009To determine polymyalgia rheumatica (PMR) prevalence using population-based administrative data, and to estimate the error associated with case ascertainment approaches when using these databases.
- Recognising polymyalgia rheumaticaRaj Sengupta
Frenchay Hospital, North Bristol NHS Trust
Practitioner 250:40-4, 47. 2006
- Analysis of peripheral blood lymphocytes using flow cytometry in polymyalgia rheumatica, RS3PE and early rheumatoid arthritisY Shimojima
Department of Internal Medicine Neurology and Rheumatology, Shinshu University School of Medicine, Matsumoto, Japan
Clin Exp Rheumatol 26:1079-82. 2008..To investigate whether there is a difference in immunological aspects among these 3 disorders, we performed a phenotypic analysis of peripheral blood lymphocytes...
- Polymyalgia rheumatica and its links with giant cell arteritisRodger Charlton
Institute of Clinical Education, The Medical School, University of Warwick, Coventry
Clin Med 8:498-501. 2008b>Polymyalgia rheumatica (PMR) was defined in 1957 and is linked with giant cell arteritis (GCA) in approximately 25% of cases. The peak incidence is between 60 and 75 years old and is increasing with the ageing population...
- Inflamed shoulder structures in polymyalgia rheumatica with normal erythrocyte sedimentation rateF Cantini
Divisione di Medicina, Ospedale di Prato, Italy
Arthritis Rheum 44:1155-9. 2001..To investigate the inflammatory involvement of shoulder articular and extraarticular structures in polymyalgia rheumatica (PMR) patients with a normal erythrocyte sedimentation rate (ESR) at diagnosis...
- Treatment of polymyalgia rheumatica and giant cell arteritis: are we any further forward?Raashid Luqmani
Ann Intern Med 146:674-6. 2007
- Presenting features of polymyalgia rheumatica (PMR) and rheumatoid arthritis with PMR-like onset: a prospective studyR Caporali
Cattedra di Reumatologia, Universita di Pavia, Pavia, Italy
Ann Rheum Dis 60:1021-4. 2001To evaluate in a prospective study whether patients with polymyalgia rheumatica (PMR) and patients with rheumatoid arthritis (RA) with PMR-like onset show distinctive clinical and laboratory features.
- Circulating CD8+ T cells in polymyalgia rheumatica and giant cell arteritis: a reviewV M Martinez-Taboada
Rheumatology Division, Hospital Universitario Marques de Valdecilla, Facultad de Medicina, Universidad de Cantabria, Santander, Spain
Semin Arthritis Rheum 30:257-71. 2001During the last few years, there have been several studies on T cell subsets in polymyalgia rheumatica (PMR) and giant cell arteritis (GCA), with conflicting results...
- Survival in polymyalgia rheumatica and temporal arteritis: a study of 398 cases and matched population controlsJ T Gran
Department of Rheumatology, Institute of Clinical Medicine, , Norway
Rheumatology (Oxford) 40:1238-42. 2001OBJECTIVE: To estimate survival in polymyalgia rheumatica (PMR) and temporal arteritis (TA)...
- Leukocyte and platelet activation in patients with giant cell arteritis and polymyalgia rheumatica: a clue to thromboembolic risks?Norma Maugeri
San Raffaele Scientific Institute, University of Vita Salute San Raffaele, Via Olgettina 58, 20132, Milan, Italy
Autoimmunity 42:386-8. 2009..We studied circulating platelets and leukocytes in patients with GCA and with polymyalgia rheumatica. Normal healthy donors (>60 a) served as controls...
- Clinical, radiological, and biochemical characteristics in patients with diseases mimicking polymyalgia rheumaticaHidekatsu Yanai
Division of General Medicine, Department of Internal Medicine, The Jikei University School of Medicine, Kashiwa, Japan
Clin Interv Aging 4:391-5. 2009To find out clues to differentiate between polymyalgia rheumatica (PMR) and other diseases that mimic PMR...
- Steroid sparing therapeutic approaches to polymyalgia rheumatica-giant cell arteritis. State of the art and perspectivesG F Ferraccioli
Division and Chair of Rheumatology, DPMSC, University of Udine, Italy
Clin Exp Rheumatol 18:S58-60. 2000The therapeutic approach to polymyalgia rheumatica (PMR) and giant cell arteritis (GCA) remains mainly based on corticosteroids. A few studies in PMR suggest a steroid-sparing effect with methotrexate in a subset of patients...
- Polymyalgia rheumatica and giant cell arteritis--An ophthalmic emergencyShane R Durkin
Royal Adelaide Hospital, South Australia
Aust Fam Physician 35:889-91. 2006The occurrence of giant cell arteritis (GCA) in the setting of polymyalgia rheumatica (PMR) is not uncommon...
- Polymyalgia rheumatica can be distinguished from late onset rheumatoid arthritis at baseline: results of a 5-yr prospective studyC T Pease
Department of Rheumatology, Chapel Allerton Hospital, Chapeltown Road, Leeds LS74SA, UK
Rheumatology (Oxford) 48:123-7. 2009..To describe the pattern of arthropathy and HLA-DRB1 alleles associated with PMR in order to develop a diagnostic algorithm that could help distinguish PMR and RF-negative (RF -ve) late-onset RA (LO-RA) at presentation...
- Usefulness of the disease activity scores for polymyalgia rheumatica for predicting glucocorticoid dose changes: a study of 243 scenariosAymeric Binard
Brest Teaching Hospital, Brest Cedex, France
Arthritis Rheum 57:481-6. 2007To evaluate associations linking glucocorticoid dose changes in patients with polymyalgia rheumatica (PMR) to the PMR activity score (PMR-AS) and its components.
- Serum interleukin-6 receptor in polymyalgia rheumatica: a potential marker of relapse/recurrence riskLia Pulsatelli
Istituto Ortopedico Rizzoli, Via Di Barbiano 1 10, Bologna, Italy
Arthritis Rheum 59:1147-54. 2008..levels of soluble interleukin-6 receptor (sIL-6R) and soluble gp130 (sgp130) in untreated and treated polymyalgia rheumatica (PMR) patients during a followup period of at least 24 months in order to evaluate the relationship of ..
- The polymyalgia rheumatica activity score in daily use: proposal for a definition of remissionBurkhard F Leeb
Lower Austrian Center for Rheumatology, State Hospital Stockerau, Stockerau, Austria
Arthritis Rheum 57:810-5. 2007To confirm the reliability and applicability of the Polymyalgia Rheumatica Disease Activity Score (PMR-AS), and to establish a threshold for remission.
- Clinical characteristics of polymyalgia rheumatica in Japanese patients: evidence of synovitis and extracapsular inflammatory changes by fat suppression magnetic resonance imagingShunsuke Mori
Department of Rheumatology and Clinical Research Center for Rheumatic Disease, Kumamoto Saishunsou National Hospital, 2659 Suya, Kohshi, Kumamoto, 861 1196, Japan
Mod Rheumatol 17:369-75. 2007b>Polymyalgia rheumatica (PMR) is an inflammatory condition of unknown etiology characterized by diffuse pain and morning stiffness involving neck, shoulder, and pelvic girdles...
- Erythrocyte sedimentation rate and C-reactive protein in the evaluation of disease activity and severity in polymyalgia rheumatica: a prospective follow-up studyF Cantini
Unita Reumatologica, 2nd Divisione di Medicina, Ospedale di Prato, Italy
Semin Arthritis Rheum 30:17-24. 2000To determine the frequency and clinical features of patients with polymyalgia rheumatica (PMR) and normal erythrocyte sedimentation rate (ESR) at diagnosis or during relapse/recurrence...
- Lack of association between infection and onset of polymyalgia rheumaticaJ Narvaez
Department of Rheumatology, Hospital Principes de Espana, Ciudad Sanitaria y Universitaria de Bellvitge, Hospitalet de Llobregat, Barcelona, Spain
J Rheumatol 27:953-7. 2000..We analyzed the influence of season on GCA in our area over the period 1985-97, as well as the possible association between infection and onset...
- Peripheral musculoskeletal manifestations in polymyalgia rheumaticaFederico Ceccato
Rheumatology Section, Hospital JM Cullen, Santa Fe, Argentina
J Clin Rheumatol 12:167-71. 2006..were to evaluate the frequency and characteristics of the peripheral musculoskeletal manifestations in polymyalgia rheumatica (PMR), evaluate if PMR with peripheral synovitis represents a subset with a more severe disease, and ..
- Altered T-cell subtypes in spondyloarthritis, rheumatoid arthritis and polymyalgia rheumaticaChristian Dejaco
Division of General Internal Medicine, Clinical Department of Internal Medicine, Innsbruck Medical University, Innsbruck, Austria
Rheumatol Int 30:297-303. 2010..blood (PB) and synovial fluid (SF) of patients with spondyloarthritis (SpA), rheumatoid arthritis (RA), polymyalgia rheumatica/giant cell arteritis (PMR/GCA) and healthy controls (HC)...
- Homocysteine levels in polymyalgia rheumatica and giant cell arteritis: influence of corticosteroid therapyV M Martinez-Taboada
Division of Rheumatology, Hospital Universitario Marques de Valdecilla, Facultad de Medicina, Universidad de Cantabria, Santander, Spain
Rheumatology (Oxford) 42:1055-61. 2003..Furthermore, patients with GCA and polymyalgia rheumatica (PMR), in addition to advanced age, are treated for prolonged periods of time with corticosteroids, a ..
- The clinical course of polymyalgia rheumatica in ChineseWai Ling Li
Department of Medicine, Queen Mary Hospital, The University of Hong Kong, Pok Fu Lam, Hong Kong, China
Clin Rheumatol 29:199-203. 2010b>Polymyalgia rheumatica (PMR) is diagnosed based on clinical features that may overlap with other rheumatic conditions like rheumatoid arthritis (RA). Furthermore, a proportion of PMR patients may subsequently evolve into RA...
- Polymyalgia rheumatica is not seasonal in pattern and is unrelated to parvovirus b19 infectionPilar Peris
Department of Rheumatology, CAP Manso, Service of Rheumatology, Hospital Clinic of Barcelona, Villaroel 170, 08036 Barcelona, Spain
J Rheumatol 30:2624-6. 2003To prospectively analyze seasonal distribution in the onset of symptoms of polymyalgia rheumatica (PMR) and its relationship to parvovirus B19 infection.
- Can the prognosis of polymyalgia rheumatica be predicted at disease onset? Results from a 5-year prospective studySarah L Mackie
NIHR Leeds Musculoskeletal Biomedical Research Unit, Leeds Institute of Molecular Medicine, University of Leeds, Leeds, UK
Rheumatology (Oxford) 49:716-22. 2010..To identify the features of PMR that may predict the duration of steroid therapy, the occurrence of relapses and the late development of GCA...
- [Polymyalgia rheumatica]C Duftner
Abteilung fur Innere Medizin, Krankenhaus der Elisabethinen, Klagenfurt
Internist (Berl) 50:51-7; quiz 58-9. 2009b>Polymyalgia rheumatica (PMR) is a common chronic inflammatory rheumatic disease with unknown aetiology, affecting predominately people of middle age and older...
- Polymyalgia rheumatica and giant-cell arteritisCarlo Salvarani
Unit of Rheumatology, Arcispedale S Maria Nuova, Reggio Emilia, Italy
Lancet 372:234-45. 2008b>Polymyalgia rheumatica and giant-cell arteritis are closely related disorders that affect people of middle age and older. They frequently occur together...
- Is the course of steroid-treated polymyalgia rheumatica more severe in women?Marco A Cimmino
Clinica Reumatologica, Dipartimento di Medicina Interna e Specialita Mediche, Universita di Genova, Viale Benedetto XV, 6, 16129 Genova, Italy
Ann N Y Acad Sci 1069:315-21. 2006b>Polymyalgia rheumatica (PMR) has a marked preponderance in women...
- Relapse in a population based cohort of patients with polymyalgia rheumaticaHilal Maradit Kremers
Division of Epidemiology, Department of Health Sciences Research, Mayo Clinic, Rochester, Minnesota 55905, USA
J Rheumatol 32:65-73. 2005To determine the incidence and the clinical, laboratory, and treatment related predictors of relapse in polymyalgia rheumatica (PMR).
- Do steroids increase lymphoma risk? A case-control study of lymphoma risk in polymyalgia rheumatica/giant cell arteritisJ Askling
Clinical Epidemiology Unit M9 01, Department of Medicine, Karolinska University Hospital Solna, SE 171 77 Stockholm, Sweden
Ann Rheum Dis 64:1765-8. 2005..b>Polymyalgia rheumatica (PMR) and temporal arteritis (giant cell arteritis, GCA) are common inflammatory conditions treated with ..
- Epidemiology of polymyalgia rheumaticaM A Cimmino
Clinic of Rheumatology, DI M I, University of Genoa, Italy
Clin Exp Rheumatol 18:S9-11. 2000To review the data on the epidemiology of polymyalgia rheumatica (PMR), in particular geographical and temporal differences in incidence and its risk factors including the actinic hypothesis.
- Giant cell arteritis, polymyalgia rheumatica, and viral hypotheses: a multicenter, prospective case-control study. Groupe de Recherche sur l'Artérite à Cellules GéantesP Duhaut
Department of Internal Medicine, Edouard Herriot Hospital, Lyon, France
J Rheumatol 26:361-9. 1999..We tested for viruses known to induce multinucleated giant cells in human pathology, which include the parainfluenza viruses (HPIV), respiratory syncytial virus, measles virus, herpesviruses type 1 and 2, and the Epstein-Barr virus...
- Polymyalgia rheumatica: diagnosis and treatmentMartin Soubrier
Service de Rhumatologie, CHU de Clermont Ferrand, Place Henri Dunant, BP 69, 63003 Clermont Ferrand Cedex 1, France
Joint Bone Spine 73:599-605. 2006b>Polymyalgia rheumatica (PMR) typically manifests as inflammatory pain in the shoulder and/or pelvic girdles in a patient over 50 years of age. This condition was long underrecognized and therefore underdiagnosed...
- Further evidence for insufficient hypothalamic-pituitary-glandular axes in polymyalgia rheumaticaRainer H Straub
J Rheumatol 33:1219-23. 2006
- The role of Burkholderia in giant cell arteritisCurry Koening; Fiscal Year: 2013..It is highly associated with polymyalgia rheumatica (PMR), a disease that causes proximal muscle pain and stiffness...
- Genetic Polymorphisms in Rheumatoid ArthritisEric Matteson; Fiscal Year: 2004..The mentorship program proposed in this grant is critical to this long-term goal. ..
- Lymphoma in Autoimmune Disease: Consequence of Immune Suppression or Stimulation?Sasha Bernatsky; Fiscal Year: 2008..Our proposed project will help identify patients at highest risk for lymphoma and provide guidance regarding initiation and maintenance of therapy to control SLE. [unreadable] [unreadable] [unreadable]..
- MECHANISM OF PAIN IN PATIENTS WITH FIBROMYALGIA SYNDROMERoland Staud; Fiscal Year: 2008..In addition, our findings may contribute to the understanding of pain mechanisms related to other chronic pain disorders. ..
- Peripheral and Central Mechanism of Pain in Patients with FibromyalgiaROLAND M STAUD; Fiscal Year: 2010..Either way, we will provide evidence that will characterize the role of local anesthesia, placebo analgesia, or both. Thus patients with FM and other similar pain syndromes may strongly benefit from the results of our study. ..