Genomes and Genes
Summary: A common nonarticular rheumatic syndrome characterized by myalgia and multiple points of focal muscle tenderness to palpation (trigger points). Muscle pain is typically aggravated by inactivity or exposure to cold. This condition is often associated with general symptoms, such as sleep disturbances, fatigue, stiffness, HEADACHES, and occasionally DEPRESSION. There is significant overlap between fibromyalgia and the chronic fatigue syndrome (FATIGUE SYNDROME, CHRONIC). Fibromyalgia may arise as a primary or secondary disease process. It is most frequent in females aged 20 to 50 years. (From Adams et al., Principles of Neurology, 6th ed, p1494-95)
Publications380 found, 100 shown here
- Estimates of the prevalence of arthritis and other rheumatic conditions in the United States. Part IIReva C Lawrence
NIH, Bethesda, Maryland, USA
Arthritis Rheum 58:26-35. 2008..of and number of individuals affected by osteoarthritis, polymyalgia rheumatica and giant cell arteritis, gout, fibromyalgia, and carpal tunnel syndrome, as well as the symptoms of neck and back pain...
- The American College of Rheumatology preliminary diagnostic criteria for fibromyalgia and measurement of symptom severityFrederick Wolfe
National Data Bank for Rheumatic Diseases and University of Kansas School of Medicine, Wichita, KS 67214, USA
Arthritis Care Res (Hoboken) 62:600-10. 2010To develop simple, practical criteria for clinical diagnosis of fibromyalgia that are suitable for use in primary and specialty care and that do not require a tender point examination, and to provide a severity scale for characteristic ..
- Fibromyalgia criteria and severity scales for clinical and epidemiological studies: a modification of the ACR Preliminary Diagnostic Criteria for FibromyalgiaFrederick Wolfe
National Data Bank for Rheumatic Diseases, 1035 N Emporia, Suite 288, Wichita, KS 67214, USA
J Rheumatol 38:1113-22. 2011To develop a fibromyalgia (FM) survey questionnaire for epidemiologic and clinical studies using a modification of the 2010 American College of Rheumatology Preliminary Diagnostic Criteria for Fibromyalgia (ACR 2010)...
- Intrinsic brain connectivity in fibromyalgia is associated with chronic pain intensityVitaly Napadow
Martinos Center for Biomedical Imaging, Department of Radiology, Massachusetts General Hospital, 149 Thirteenth Street 2301, Charlestown, MA 02129, USA
Arthritis Rheum 62:2545-55. 2010b>Fibromyalgia (FM) is considered to be the prototypical central chronic pain syndrome and is associated with widespread pain that fluctuates spontaneously. Multiple studies have demonstrated altered brain activity in these patients...
- Patients with fibromyalgia display less functional connectivity in the brain's pain inhibitory networkKarin B Jensen
Department of Psychiatry, Massachusetts General Hospital, Harvard Medical School, Boston, USA
Mol Pain 8:32. 2012There is evidence for augmented processing of pain and impaired endogenous pain inhibition in Fibromyalgia syndrome (FM)...
- Effects of treatment of peripheral pain generators in fibromyalgia patientsGiannapia Affaitati
Pathophysiology of Pain Laboratory, Ce S I, G d Annunzio Foundation, Department of Medicine and Science of Aging, Chieti University, via Carlo de Tocco n 3, Chieti, Italy
Eur J Pain 15:61-9. 2011b>Fibromyalgia syndrome (FS) frequently co-occurs with regional pain disorders. This study evaluated how these disorders contribute to FS, by assessing effects of local active vs placebo treatment of muscle/joint pain sources on FS symptoms...
- A randomized trial of tai chi for fibromyalgiaChenchen Wang
Division of Rheumatology, Tufts Medical Center, Tufts University School of Medicine, Boston, MA 02111, USA
N Engl J Med 363:743-54. 2010Previous research has suggested that tai chi offers a therapeutic benefit in patients with fibromyalgia.
- Prevalence of fibromyalgia: a survey in five European countriesJaime C Branco
Department of Rheumatology, Hospital Egas Moniz, Lisboa, Portugal
Semin Arthritis Rheum 39:448-53. 2010A survey was performed in 5 European countries (France, Germany, Italy, Portugal, and Spain) to estimate the prevalence of fibromyalgia (FM) in the general population.
- Decreased intrinsic brain connectivity is associated with reduced clinical pain in fibromyalgiaVitaly Napadow
Martinos Center for Biomedical Imaging, Massachusetts General Hospital, Charlestown, MA 02129, USA
Arthritis Rheum 64:2398-403. 2012A major impediment to the development of novel treatment strategies for fibromyalgia (FM) is the lack of an objective marker that reflects spontaneously reported clinical pain in patients with FM...
- Mindfulness training as an intervention for fibromyalgia: evidence of postintervention and 3-year follow-up benefits in well-beingPaul Grossman
Division of Psychosomatic Medicine, Department of Internal Medicine, University of Basel Hospital, Basel, Switzerland
Psychother Psychosom 76:226-33. 2007..Studies suggest improvements in general aspects of well-being, including quality of life (QoL), coping and positive affect, as well as decreased anxiety and depression...
- Fibromyalgia syndrome: classification, diagnosis, and treatmentWinfried Häuser
Interdisziplinäres Zentrum für Schmerztherapie, Innere Medizin I, Klinikum Saarbrücken gGmbH, 66119 Saarbrücken, Germany
Dtsch Arztebl Int 106:383-91. 2009This S3 guideline takes positions on currently contentious issues in the classification and treatment of fibromyalgia syndrome (FMS).
- Comparison of medication adherence and healthcare costs between duloxetine and pregabalin initiators among patients with fibromyalgiaYang Zhao
Global Health Outcomes, Eli Lilly and Company, Indianapolis, Indiana 46221, USA
Pain Pract 11:204-16. 2011To examine and compare medication adherence and direct healthcare costs between duloxetine and pregabalin initiators among patients with fibromyalgia.
- Treating fibromyalgia with mindfulness-based stress reduction: results from a 3-armed randomized controlled trialStefan Schmidt
Department of Environmental Health Sciences, University Medical Center, Freiburg, Germany
Pain 152:361-9. 2011..MBSR aims to help participants develop nonjudgmental awareness of moment-to-moment experience. Fibromyalgia is a clinical syndrome with chronic pain, fatigue, and insomnia as major symptoms...
- Gray matter volumes of pain-related brain areas are decreased in fibromyalgia syndromeMichael E Robinson
Department of Clinical and Health Psychology, McKnight Brain Institute, University of Florida College of Medicine, Gainesville, FL 32610 0221, USA
J Pain 12:436-43. 2011b>Fibromyalgia (FM) is a chronic, widespread musculoskeletal pain disorder that is very prevalent in the general population (approximately 5%)...
- Evidence of augmented central pain processing in idiopathic chronic low back painThorsten Giesecke
University of Michigan, Ann Arbor, MI 48106, USA
Arthritis Rheum 50:613-23. 2004..We compared the results of both of these methods as applied to patients with idiopathic CLBP (n = 11), patients with widespread pain (fibromyalgia; n = 16), and healthy control subjects (n = 11).
- Epidemiology of chronic musculoskeletal painJohn McBeth
ARC Epidemiology Unit, The Medical School, The University of Manchester, Manchester, M13 9PT, UK
Best Pract Res Clin Rheumatol 21:403-25. 2007..is examined, with a focus on three commonly reported pain disorders: shoulder pain, low back pain and fibromyalgia/chronic widespread pain. There is a paucity of data on musculoskeletal pain in adolescent populations...
- Accelerated brain gray matter loss in fibromyalgia patients: premature aging of the brain?Anil Kuchinad
McGill Centre for Research on Pain, McGill University, Montreal, Quebec, Canada H3A 2B2
J Neurosci 27:4004-7. 2007b>Fibromyalgia is an intractable widespread pain disorder that is most frequently diagnosed in women. It has traditionally been classified as either a musculoskeletal disease or a psychological disorder...
- A randomized, sham-controlled, proof of principle study of transcranial direct current stimulation for the treatment of pain in fibromyalgiaFelipe Fregni
Harvard Medical School, Boston, Massachusetts 02215, USA
Arthritis Rheum 54:3988-98. 2006Recent evidence suggests that fibromyalgia is a disorder characterized by dysfunctional brain activity...
- Evidence for shared pain mechanisms in osteoarthritis, low back pain, and fibromyalgiaRoland Staud
Division of Rheumatology and Clinical Immunology, University of Florida, Gainesville, FL 32610 0221, USA
Curr Rheumatol Rep 13:513-20. 2011Osteoarthritis (OA), low back pain (LBP), and fibromyalgia (FM) are common chronic pain disorders that occur frequently in the general population. They are a significant cause of dysfunction and disability...
- Psychometric properties of the Dutch Five Facet Mindfulness Questionnaire (FFMQ) in patients with fibromyalgiaMartine M Veehof
Department of Psychology, Health and Technology, University of Twente, Enschede, The Netherlands
Clin Rheumatol 30:1045-54. 2011..The goal of this study was to examine the psychometric properties of the FFMQ in a clinical population of fibromyalgia patients...
- Empowering processes and outcomes of participation in online support groups for patients with breast cancer, arthritis, or fibromyalgiaCornelia F van Uden-Kraan
Institute for Behavioral Research, Faculty of Behavioral Sciences, University of Twente, Enschede, The Netherlands
Qual Health Res 18:405-17. 2008..This article demonstrates that participation in online support groups can make a valuable contribution to the emergence of empowered patients...
- Vulnerability to stress among women in chronic pain from fibromyalgia and osteoarthritisM C Davis
Department of Psychology, Arizona State University, Tempe 85287-1104, USA
Ann Behav Med 23:215-26. 2001..to the negative effects of stress among women in chronic pain from 2 types of musculoskeletal illnesses, fibromyalgia syndrome (FMS) and osteoarthritis (OA)...
- Enhanced central pain processing of fibromyalgia patients is maintained by muscle afferent input: a randomized, double-blind, placebo-controlled studyRoland Staud
Department of Medicine, University of Florida, Gainesville, FL 32610, USA
Pain 145:96-104. 2009b>Fibromyalgia (FM) syndrome is characterized by pain and widespread hyperalgesia to mechanical, thermal, and electrical stimuli...
- Large candidate gene association study reveals genetic risk factors and therapeutic targets for fibromyalgiaShad B Smith
Algynomics, Chapel Hill, North Carolina 27514, USA
Arthritis Rheum 64:584-93. 2012b>Fibromyalgia (FM) represents a complex disorder that is characterized by widespread pain and tenderness and is frequently accompanied by additional somatic and cognitive/affective symptoms...
- Validation of a German version of the Fibromyalgia Impact Questionnaire (FIQ-G)M Offenbaecher
Department of Physical Medicine and Rehabilitation, University of Munich, Germany
J Rheumatol 27:1984-8. 2000To translate the Fibromyalgia Impact Questionnaire (FIQ) into German and to evaluate its reliability and validity for the use of German speaking patients with fibromyalgia (FM).
- Internet-enhanced management of fibromyalgia: a randomized controlled trialDavid A Williams
Chronic Pain and Fatigue Research Center, University of Michigan, 24 Frank Lloyd Wright Drive, Lobby M, Ann Arbor, MI 48106, USA
Pain 151:694-702. 2010Both pharmacological and non-pharmacological interventions have demonstrated efficacy in the management of fibromyalgia (FM)...
- Ottawa Panel evidence-based clinical practice guidelines for strengthening exercises in the management of fibromyalgia: part 2Lucie Brosseau
Clinical Epidemiology Unit, Ottawa Hospital Research Institute, Ottawa Hospital, Civic Campus, Ottawa, Ontario, Canada
Phys Ther 88:873-86. 2008The objective of this study was to create guidelines for the use of strengthening exercises in the management of adult patients (>18 years of age) with fibromyalgia (FM), as defined by the 1990 American College of Rheumatology criteria.
- Interstitial cystitis/painful bladder syndrome and associated medical conditions with an emphasis on irritable bowel syndrome, fibromyalgia and chronic fatigue syndromeJ Curtis Nickel
Department of Urology, Queen s University, Kingston General Hospital, Kingston, Ontario, Canada
J Urol 184:1358-63. 2010..of clinical phenotypic associations between interstitial cystitis/painful bladder syndrome and controls in relation to potentially related conditions, particularly irritable bowel syndrome, fibromyalgia and chronic fatigue syndrome.
- Neurophysiologic evidence for a central sensitization in patients with fibromyalgiaJ A Desmeules
Geneva University Hospital, Geneva, Switzerland
Arthritis Rheum 48:1420-9. 2003..and central nociceptive sensory input processing exist outside areas of spontaneous pain in patients with fibromyalgia (FM) as compared with controls, by using quantitative sensory testing (QST) and a neurophysiologic paradigm ..
- Quality of life in women with fibromyalgia syndrome: validation of the QIF, the French version of the fibromyalgia impact questionnaireSerge Perrot
Centre de la Douleur and the Service de Rhumatologie, Hopital Cochin, Paris, France
J Rheumatol 30:1054-9. 2003To validate a translated and adapted version of the Fibromyalgia Impact Questionnaire (FIQ) for use in French-speaking populations.
- Sleep quality in patients with fibromyalgia using the Pittsburgh Sleep Quality IndexCibele D Osorio
Division of Rheumatology and the Sleep Laboratory, Heart Institute, Department of Internal Medicine, Hospital das Clinicas, Faculdade de Medicina, University of Sao Paulo, Brazil
J Rheumatol 33:1863-5. 2006To characterize and quantify the sleep complaints of patients with fibromyalgia (FM) using the Pittsburgh Sleep Quality Index (PSQI).
- Central sensitivity syndromes: mounting pathophysiologic evidence to link fibromyalgia with other common chronic pain disordersLindsay L Kindler
Center for Comprehensive Pain Research, University of Florida, Gainesville, Florida, USA
Pain Manag Nurs 12:15-24. 2011..A literature search was performed through PubMed and Ovid using the terms fibromyalgia, temporomandibular joint disorder, irritable bowel syndrome, irritable bladder/interstitial cystitis, headache, ..
- Quantitative sensory testing profiles in chronic back pain are distinct from those in fibromyalgiaKlaus Blumenstiel
Department of General Internal Medicine and Psychosomatics, Medical Hospital, Ruprecht Karls University Heidelberg, Germany
Clin J Pain 27:682-90. 2011..central nervous system leading to higher pain sensitivity have been shown in both chronic back pain (CBP) and fibromyalgia syndrome (FMS)...
- Alpha sleep characteristics in fibromyalgiaS Roizenblatt
Departamento de Psicobiologia, , Brazil
Arthritis Rheum 44:222-30. 2001..the patterns of alpha electroencephalographic sleep and their associations with pain and sleep in patients with fibromyalgia. METHODS: Pain and sleep symptoms of 40 female patients with fibromyalgia and 43 healthy control subjects were ..
- A cross-sectional survey of 3035 patients with fibromyalgia: subgroups of patients with typical comorbidities and sensory symptom profilesStefanie E Rehm
Sektion Neurologische Schmerzforschung und Therapie, Klinik fur Neurologie, Christian Albrechts Universitat Kiel, Arnold Heller Strasse 3, Haus 41, 24105 Kiel, Germany
Rheumatology (Oxford) 49:1146-52. 2010..Patients with FM are heterogeneous. They present with a variety of pain qualities, sensory abnormalities and additional comorbidities. The aim was to identify clinically distinguishable subgroups of patients...
- Efficacy of cognitive-behavioral therapies in fibromyalgia syndrome - a systematic review and metaanalysis of randomized controlled trialsKathrin Bernardy
Department of Anaesthesiology, Intensive Care and Pain Therapy, Saarland University Hospital, Homburg Saar, Germany
J Rheumatol 37:1991-2005. 2010We performed the first systematic review with metaanalysis of the efficacy of cognitive-behavioral therapies (CBT) in fibromyalgia syndrome (FM).
- Functional magnetic resonance imaging evidence of augmented pain processing in fibromyalgiaRichard H Gracely
National Institute of Dental and Craniofacial Research, NIH, Bethesda, Maryland, USA
Arthritis Rheum 46:1333-43. 2002..magnetic resonance imaging (fMRI) to evaluate the pattern of cerebral activation during the application of painful pressure and determine whether this pattern is augmented in patients with fibromyalgia (FM) compared with controls.
- Fibromyalgia syndrome module at OMERACT 9: domain constructPhilip Mease
Seattle Rheumatology Associates and Division of Rheumatology Research, Swedish Medical Center, Seattle, WA 98104, USA
J Rheumatol 36:2318-29. 2009The objective of the module was to (1) establish a core domain set for fibromyalgia (FM) assessment in clinical trials and practice, (2) review outcome measure performance characteristics, (3) discuss development of a responder index for ..
- Psychological treatments for fibromyalgia: a meta-analysisJulia A Glombiewski
Department of Psychology, Boston University, Boston, MA, USA
Pain 151:280-95. 2010..to investigate the short- and long-term efficacies and treatment moderators of psychological interventions for fibromyalgia. A literature search using PubMed, PsychINFO, the Cochrane Library, and manual searches identified 23 eligible ..
- A pilot randomized controlled trial of the Yoga of Awareness program in the management of fibromyalgiaJames W Carson
Department of Anesthesiology and Peri Operative Medicine, Oregon Health and Science University, Portland, OR 97239 3011, USA
Pain 151:530-9. 2010A mounting body of literature recommends that treatment for fibromyalgia (FM) encompass medications, exercise and improvement of coping skills...
- Fibromyalgia patients show an abnormal dopamine response to painPatrick B Wood
McGill University Centre for Research on Pain, Faculty of Dentistry, 3640 University Street, Strathcona Building, Montreal, QC, Canada, H3A 2B2
Eur J Neurosci 25:3576-82. 2007b>Fibromyalgia is characterized by chronic widespread pain and bodily tenderness and is often accompanied by affective disturbances...
- Evidence of dysfunctional pain inhibition in Fibromyalgia reflected in rACC during provoked painKarin B Jensen
Stockholm Brain Institute, Osher Center for Integrative Medicine, Karolinska Institutet, Stockholm, Sweden
Pain 144:95-100. 2009Over the years, many have viewed Fibromyalgia syndrome (FMS) as a so-called "functional disorder" and patients have experienced a concomitant lack of interest and legitimacy from the medical profession...
- Guidelines on the management of fibromyalgia syndrome - a systematic reviewWinfried Häuser
Department of Internal Medicine I, Klinikum Saarbrücken, Saarbrucken, Germany
Eur J Pain 14:5-10. 2010We compared the methodology and the recommendations of evidence-based guidelines for the management of fibromyalgia syndrome (FMS) to give an orientation within the continuously growing number of reviews on the therapy of FMS...
- Musculoskeletal pain in the workforce: the effects of back, arthritis, and fibromyalgia pain on quality of life and work productivityMargaret McDonald
Pfizer Inc, New York, NY, USA
J Occup Environ Med 53:765-70. 2011..To investigate the impact of musculoskeletal pain on health-related quality of life and work productivity losses among US workers...
- The internet-based arthritis self-management program: a one-year randomized trial for patients with arthritis or fibromyalgiaKate R Lorig
Stanford University School of Medicine, Stanford, California, USA
Arthritis Rheum 59:1009-17. 2008....
- No relationship between the ins del polymorphism of the serotonin transporter promoter and pain perception in fibromyalgia patients and healthy controlsStephane Potvin
Service of Neurosurgery, Faculty of Medicine, University of Sherbrooke, Sherbrooke, Canada
Eur J Pain 14:742-6. 2010..5-HT) is involved in endogenous pain inhibition systems, which are deficient in chronic pain disorders such as fibromyalgia (FM). In humans, there is preliminary evidence showing that 5-HT is involved in the FM pathophysiology...
- Vitamin D deficiency is associated with anxiety and depression in fibromyalgiaD J Armstrong
Department of Rheumatology, Musgrave Park Hospital, Stockman s Lane, Belfast, BT9 7 JB, UK
Clin Rheumatol 26:551-4. 2007b>Fibromyalgia is a complex problem in which symptoms of anxiety and depression feature prominently. Low levels of vitamin D have been frequently reported in fibromyalgia, but no relationship was demonstrated with anxiety and depression...
- Central sensitivity syndromes: a new paradigm and group nosology for fibromyalgia and overlapping conditions, and the related issue of disease versus illnessMuhammad B Yunus
Section of Rheumatology, The University of Illinois College of Medicine at Peoria, Peoria, Illinois 61605, USA
Semin Arthritis Rheum 37:339-52. 2008To discuss the current terminologies used for fibromyalgia syndrome (FMS) and related overlapping conditions, to examine if central sensitivity syndromes (CSS) is the appropriate nosology for these disorders, and to explore the issue of ..
- A psychophysical study of auditory and pressure sensitivity in patients with fibromyalgia and healthy controlsMichael E Geisser
Chronic Pain and Fatigue Research Center, Department of Internal Medicine, Division of Rheumatology, University of Michigan, Ann Arbor, Michigan 48108, USA
J Pain 9:417-22. 2008b>Fibromyalgia (FM) is characterized by widespread tenderness. Studies have also reported that persons with FM are sensitive to other stimuli, such as auditory tones...
- Depression, anxiety, health-related quality of life and pain in patients with chronic fibromyalgia and neuropathic painLise Gormsen
Department of Neurology, Danish Pain Research Centre, Aarhus University Hospital, Denmark
Eur J Pain 14:127.e1-8. 2010..Thirty neuropathic pain (NP) patients, 28 patients with fibromyalgia (FM), and 26 pain-free age- and gender-matched controls were included and examined with respect to mental ..
- Employees with fibromyalgia: medical comorbidity, healthcare costs, and work lossLeigh Ann White
Analysis Group, Inc, 111 Huntington Avenue, Boston, MA 02199, USA
J Occup Environ Med 50:13-24. 2008To compare 2005 health care resources among matched samples of employees with fibromyalgia (FM), osteoarthritis (OA), and controls.
- Free radicals and antioxidants in primary fibromyalgia: an oxidative stress disorder?Selda Bagis
Physical Medicine and Rehabilitation Department, Mersin University Medical School, Mersin, Turkey
Rheumatol Int 25:188-90. 2005The role of free radicals in fibromyalgia is controversial. In this study, 85 female patients with primary fibromyalgia and 80 age-, height-, and weight-matched healthy women were evaluated for oxidant/antioxidant balance...
- Abnormal sensitization and temporal summation of second pain (wind-up) in patients with fibromyalgia syndromeR Staud
Department of Medicine, University of Florida College of Medicine, Gainesville FL 32610, USA
Pain 91:165-75. 2001Although individuals with fibromyalgia syndrome (FMS) consistently report wide-spread pain, clear evidence of structural abnormalities or other sources of chronic stimulation of pain afferents in the involved body areas is lacking...
- Contribution of the local and referred pain from active myofascial trigger points in fibromyalgia syndromeHong You Ge
Laboratory for Musculoskeletal Pain and Motor Control, Center for Sensory Motor Interaction SMI, Department of Health Science and Technology, Aalborg University, Aalborg, Denmark
Pain 147:233-40. 2009The generalized hypersensitivity associated with fibromyalgia syndrome (FMS) may in part be driven by peripheral nociceptive sources...
- Habituation and sensitization to heat and cold pain in women with fibromyalgia and healthy controlsBruce W Smith
Department of Psychology, University of New Mexico, MSC03 2220, Albuquerque, NM 87131, USA
Pain 140:420-8. 2008The purpose of this study was to examine differences in habituation to heat and cold pain in women with fibromyalgia (FM; n=33) and in women who were healthy controls (HC; n=44)...
- Treatment-related changes in brain activation in patients with fibromyalgia syndromeMartin Diers
Department of Cognitive and Clinical Neuroscience, Central Institute of Mental Health, Medical Faculty Mannheim, University of Heidelberg, J 5, 68159 Mannheim, Germany
Exp Brain Res 218:619-28. 2012..This study examined changes in pain-evoked brain activation following behavioral extinction training in fibromyalgia patients...
- Sleep disorders and fibromyalgiaSuely Roizenblatt
Departamento de Psicobiologia, Universidade Federal de Sao Paulo, Avenida Angélica 1996, Andar 1, São Paulo 01228 200, Brazil
Curr Pain Headache Rep 15:347-57. 2011Disordered sleep is such a prominent symptom in fibromyalgia that the American College of Rheumatology included symptoms such as waking unrefreshed, fatigue, tiredness, and insomnia in the 2010 diagnostic criteria for fibromyalgia...
- A shared decision-making communication training program for physicians treating fibromyalgia patients: effects of a randomized controlled trialChristiane Bieber
Department of Psychosomatic and General Internal Medicine, Medical Hospital, University of Heidelberg, Heidelberg, Germany
J Psychosom Res 64:13-20. 2008b>Fibromyalgia syndrome (FMS) is a condition of chronic widespread pain that is difficult to control and is associated with strains in physician-patient interaction...
- High frequency of childhood ADHD history in women with fibromyalgiaF Reyero
Department of Psychiatry, Hospital Universitario 12 de Octubre, Av Andalucía s n, Madrid E 28041, Spain
Eur Psychiatry 26:482-3. 2011b>Fibromyalgia and ADHD share some clinical features, and a reduced dopamine function has been proposed for both disorders...
- A randomized, double-blind, placebo-controlled trial of pramipexole, a dopamine agonist, in patients with fibromyalgia receiving concomitant medicationsAndrew J Holman
Pacific Rheumatology Associates, Renton, Washington 98055, USA
Arthritis Rheum 52:2495-505. 2005To assess the efficacy and safety of pramipexole, a dopamine 3 receptor agonist, in patients with fibromyalgia.
- The DAS28 in rheumatoid arthritis and fibromyalgia patientsB F Leeb
Second Department of Medicine, HUMANIS Klinikum Lower Austria, Lower Austrian Center for Rheumatology, A 2000 Stockerau, Landstrasse 18, Austria
Rheumatology (Oxford) 43:1504-7. 2004To compare the DAS28 (Disease Activity Score including a 28-joint count) values of rheumatoid arthritis (RA) and fibromyalgia (FM) patients, and to establish whether high pain levels and impaired mood influence DAS28 values.
- Effects of a prolonged exercise program on key health outcomes in women with fibromyalgia: a randomized controlled trialBorja Sañudo
Physical Education and Sports Department, University of Seville, Campus Pirotécnia, C Pirotécnia s n, ES 41013 Sevilla, Spain
J Rehabil Med 43:521-6. 2011To assess the impact of a long-term exercise programme vs usual care on perceived health status, functional capacity and depression in patients with fibromyalgia.
- Efficacy and feasibility of a combination of body awareness therapy and qigong in patients with fibromyalgia: a pilot studyKaisa Mannerkorpi
Department of Rheumatology and Inflammation Research, Sahlgrenska Academy, Goteborg University, Goteborg, Sweden
J Rehabil Med 36:279-81. 2004To evaluate the effects of body awareness therapy combined with qigong for patients with fibromyalgia.
- Is there a role for cytokine based therapies in fibromyalgiaDaniel J Wallace
Cedars Sinai David Geffen School of Medicine at UCLA, Los Angeles, CA, USA
Curr Pharm Des 12:17-22. 2006..A review of the fibromyalgia literature and related studies suggest that IL-1, IL-6 and IL-8 are dysregulated in the syndrome...
- Direct medical costs in patients with fibromyalgia: Cost of illness and impact of a brief multidisciplinary treatment programJeffrey M Thompson
Department of Physical Medicine and Rehabilitation, Mayo Clinic College of Medicine, Rochester, Minnesota 55905, USA
Am J Phys Med Rehabil 90:40-6. 2011To compare the direct medical costs of clinically diagnosed patients with fibromyalgia with the medical costs of matched controls during a 4-yr period and to assess the impact of a fibromyalgia treatment program on healthcare utilization ..
- Risk factors predicting the development of widespread pain from chronic back or neck painLindsay L Kindler
Comprehensive Center for Pain Research, University of Florida, Gainesville, Florida, USA
J Pain 11:1320-8. 2010..Notably, number of depressive symptoms endorsed, pain duration, age, body mass index, number of medication classes used, and receipt of disability benefits were not significantly associated with this transition...
- The pain vigilance and awareness questionnaire (PVAQ): further psychometric evaluation in fibromyalgia and other chronic pain syndromesJeffrey Roelofs
Department of Medical, Clinical and Experimental Psychology, Maastricht University, P O Box 616, 6200 MD Maastricht, The Netherlands
Pain 101:299-306. 2003..An exploratory factor analysis on Dutch fibromyalgia patients indicated that a two-factor solution was most suitable...
- Circadian rhythms of women with fibromyalgiaE B Klerman
Endocrine Hypertension Division, Department of Medicine, Brigham and Women s Hospital and Harvard Medical School, Boston, Massachusetts 02115, USA
J Clin Endocrinol Metab 86:1034-9. 2001b>Fibromyalgia syndrome is a chronic and debilitating disorder characterized by widespread nonarticular musculoskeletal pain whose etiology is unknown...
- Measuring functioning in people with fibromyalgia (FM) based on the international classification of functioning, disability and health (ICF)--a psychometric analysisBirgit Prodinger
Clinic for Internal Medicine III, Department of Rheumatology, Medical University of Vienna, Austria
Pain Pract 12:255-65. 2012..This study aimed to examine whether it is feasible to construct a psychometric-sound clinical instrument to measure functioning in FM based on the Brief ICF-Core-Set for chronic widespread pain (CWP)...
- A framework for fibromyalgia management for primary care providersLesley M Arnold
Department of Psychiatry and Behavioral Neuroscience and the Women s Health Research Program, University of Cincinnati College of Medicine, OH 45219, USA
Mayo Clin Proc 87:488-96. 2012b>Fibromyalgia is a chronic widespread pain disorder commonly associated with comorbid symptoms, including fatigue and nonrestorative sleep...
- Exercise therapy for fibromyalgiaAngela J Busch
School of Physical Therapy, University of Saskatchewan, 1121 College Drive, Saskatoon, Saskatchewan S7N 0W3, Canada
Curr Pain Headache Rep 15:358-67. 2011b>Fibromyalgia syndrome, a chronic condition typically characterized by widespread pain, nonrestorative sleep, fatigue, cognitive dysfunction, and other somatic symptoms, negatively impacts physical and emotional function and reduces ..
- Comparison of the cortisol awakening response in women with shoulder and neck pain and women with fibromyalgiaRoberto Riva
Department of Psychology, Stockholm University, Stockholm, Sweden
Psychoneuroendocrinology 37:299-306. 2012Shoulder and neck pain (SNP) and fibromyalgia syndrome (FMS), two musculoskeletal conditions of unknown pathogenesis, share some common features in terms of altered neuroendocrine responses, pain and stress perception...
- Cognitive Behavioral Therapy increases pain-evoked activation of the prefrontal cortex in patients with fibromyalgiaKarin B Jensen
Department of Psychiatry, Massachusetts General Hospital, Harvard Medical School, Boston, MA 02129, USA
Pain 153:1495-503. 2012..Forty-three female patients diagnosed with fibromyalgia syndrome were enrolled in a randomized, 12-week, waiting-list controlled clinical trial (CBT n=25; controls n=..
- Exercise in fibromyalgia and related inflammatory disorders: known effects and unknown chancesE Ortega
Department of Physiology, Faculty of Sciences, University of Extremadura, Badajoz, Spain
Exerc Immunol Rev 15:42-65. 2009b>Fibromyalgia (FM) is characterised by chronic widespread pain and allodynia (pain from stimuli which are not normally painful with pain that may occur other than in the area stimulated) of more than 3 months duration...
- Inflammatory/stress feedback dysregulation in women with fibromyalgiaMaria E Bote
Group of Immunophysiology, Department of Physiology, University of Extremadura, Badajoz, Spain
Neuroimmunomodulation 19:343-51. 2012Although one of the current hypotheses of the aetiology of fibromyalgia (FM) syndrome involves inflammatory and neuroendocrine disorders, its biophysiology still remains unclear...
- The comparative burden of mild, moderate and severe fibromyalgia: results from a cross-sectional survey in the United StatesCaroline Schaefer
Health Economics and Outcomes Research, Covance Market Access Services Inc, Gaithersburg, MD, USA
Health Qual Life Outcomes 9:71. 2011b>Fibromyalgia (FM) is characterized by chronic, widespread pain, fatigue, and other symptoms; yet few studies have comprehensively assessed its humanistic burden...
- Perceived injustice in fibromyalgia: psychometric characteristics of the Injustice Experience Questionnaire and relationship with pain catastrophising and pain acceptanceBaltasar Rodero
Clínica Rodero, Santander, Spain
J Psychosom Res 73:86-91. 2012To validate a Spanish version of the Injustice Experience Questionnaire (IEQ), a measure of perceived injustice, in a fibromyalgia sample and to examine its relationship with pain catastrophising and pain acceptance.
- Focal modulation of the primary motor cortex in fibromyalgia using 4×1-ring high-definition transcranial direct current stimulation (HD-tDCS): immediate and delayed analgesic effects of cathodal and anodal stimulationMauricio F Villamar
Laboratory of Neuromodulation, Department of Physical Medicine and Rehabilitation, Spaulding Rehabilitation Hospital and Massachusetts General Hospital, Harvard Medical School, Boston, MA, USA
J Pain 14:371-83. 2013b>Fibromyalgia is a prevalent chronic pain syndrome characterized by altered pain and sensory processing in the central nervous system, which is often refractory to multiple therapeutic approaches...
- Effects of strength vs aerobic exercise on pain severity in adults with fibromyalgia: a randomized equivalence trialW Michael Hooten
Department of Anesthesiology, Mayo Clinic College of Medicine, Rochester, MN 55905, USA
Pain 153:915-23. 2012Strength training and aerobic exercise have beneficial effects on pain in adults with fibromyalgia. However, the equivalence of strengthening and aerobic exercise has not been reported...
- Opioid use, misuse, and abuse in patients labeled as fibromyalgiaMary Ann Fitzcharles
Division of Rheumatology, McGill University Health Center, Montreal, Quebec, Canada
Am J Med 124:955-60. 2011As pain is the cardinal symptom of fibromyalgia, it is logical that treatments directed toward pain relief will be commonly used...
- Musculoskeletal pain and risk for falls in older disabled women living in the communitySuzanne G Leveille
Hebrew Rehabilitation Center for Aged, Boston, Massachusetts 02131, USA
J Am Geriatr Soc 50:671-8. 2002..To determine whether musculoskeletal pain increased risk for falls in older women with disabilities...
- Small fibre pathology in patients with fibromyalgia syndromeNurcan Uceyler
Department of Neurology, University of Wurzburg, 97080 Wurzburg, Germany
Brain 136:1857-67. 2013b>Fibromyalgia syndrome is a clinically well-characterized chronic pain condition of high socio-economic impact...
- Epidemiology of chronic musculoskeletal painMarco A Cimmino
Dipartimento di Medicina Interna, Clinica Reumatologica, Universita degli Studi di Genova, Viale Benedetto XV 6, Genoa, Italy
Best Pract Res Clin Rheumatol 25:173-83. 2011....
- Improving the recognition and diagnosis of fibromyalgiaLesley M Arnold
Department of Psychiatry and Behavioral Neuroscience and the Women s Health Research Program, University of Cincinnati College of Medicine, Cincinnati, OH, USA
Mayo Clin Proc 86:457-64. 2011b>Fibromyalgia (FM) is a chronic widespread pain disorder often seen in primary care practices...
- Multidisciplinary approach to fibromyalgia: what is the teaching?Piercarlo Sarzi-Puttini
Rheumatology Unit, L Sacco University Hospital, Ospedale L Sacco, Via GB Grassi 74, Milan, Italy
Best Pract Res Clin Rheumatol 25:311-9. 2011b>Fibromyalgia (FM) is a rheumatic disease that is characterised by chronic musculoskeletal pain, stiffness, fatigue, sleep and mood disorder...
- Treatment patterns among physician specialties in the management of fibromyalgia: results of a cross-sectional study in the United StatesMichael McNett
APAC Centers for Pain Management, Chicago, IL, USA
Curr Med Res Opin 27:673-83. 2011b>Fibromyalgia (FM) is characterized by persistent and widespread pain and often associated with other symptoms and comorbidities. Thus, FM patients seek care from multiple physician specialties...
- Increased plasma endothelin-1 levels in fibromyalgia syndromeM Pache
Rheumatology (Oxford) 42:493-4. 2003
- Increased BDNF serum concentration in fibromyalgia with or without depression or antidepressantsChristoph Laske
Department of Psychiatry and Psychotherapy, University of Tuebingen, Osianderstrasse 24, D 72076 Tuebingen, Germany
J Psychiatr Res 41:600-5. 2007b>Fibromyalgia (FM) is still often viewed as a psychosomatic disorder. However, the increased pain sensitivity to stimuli in FM patients is not an "imagined" histrionic phenomena...
- The longitudinal outcome of fibromyalgia: a study of 1555 patientsBrian Walitt
National Data Bank for Rheumatic Diseases, 1035 N Emporia, Suite 288, Wichita, KS 67214, USA
J Rheumatol 38:2238-46. 2011To describe the diagnosis status and outcome of patients diagnosed with fibromyalgia (FM) by US rheumatologists.
- Fibromyalgia: a disorder of the brain?Petra Schweinhardt
Alan Edwards Centre for Research on Pain, Faculty of Dentistry, McGill University, Canada
Neuroscientist 14:415-21. 2008This article presents evidence that fibromyalgia patients have alterations in CNS anatomy, physiology, and chemistry that potentially contribute to the symptoms experienced by these patients...
- Efficacy and safety of meditative movement therapies in fibromyalgia syndrome: a systematic review and meta-analysis of randomized controlled trialsJost Langhorst
Department of Internal and Integrative Medicine, University of Duisburg Essen, Kliniken Essen Mitte, 45276 Essen, Germany
Rheumatol Int 33:193-207. 2013..with meta-analysis of the efficacy and safety of meditative movement therapies (Qigong, Tai Chi and Yoga) in fibromyalgia syndrome (FMS) was carried out. We screened Clinicaltrials...
- Hypervigilance to pain in fibromyalgia: the mediating role of pain intensity and catastrophic thinking about painGeert Crombez
Department of Experimental Clinical and Health Psychology, Ghent University, Belgium
Clin J Pain 20:98-102. 2004To investigate the mediating role of pain intensity, catastrophic thinking about pain, and negative affectivity in explaining enhanced attention for pain in patients with fibromyalgia.
- The Japanese version of the 2010 American College of Rheumatology Preliminary Diagnostic Criteria for Fibromyalgia and the Fibromyalgia Symptom Scale: reliability and validityChie Usui
Department of Psychiatry, Juntendo University School of Medicine, Juntendo University Nerima Hospital, 3 1 10 Takanodai, Nerima ku, Tokyo 177 8521, Japan
Mod Rheumatol 22:40-4. 2012..of the Japanese version of the 2010 American College of Rheumatology Preliminary Diagnostic Criteria for Fibromyalgia (ACR 2010-J), and its quantification scale, the Fibromyalgia Symptom Scale (FS-J)...
- Toward development of a fibromyalgia responder index and disease activity score: OMERACT module updatePhilip J Mease
Division of Rheumatology Research, Swedish Medical Center, University of Washington, Seattle, Washington, USA
J Rheumatol 38:1487-95. 2011Following development of the core domain set for fibromyalgia (FM) in Outcome Measures in Rheumatology Clinical Trials (OMERACT) meetings 7 to 9, the FM working group has progressed toward the development of an FM responder index and a ..
- Treating patients with fibromyalgia in primary care settings under routine medical practice: a claim database cost and burden of illness studyAntoni Sicras-Mainar
Badalona Serveis Assistencials, C, Gaietà Soler, Badalona, Barcelona, Spain
Arthritis Res Ther 11:R54. 2009..care resource utilization under routine medical practice in a primary care setting claims database and to estimate the incremental average cost per patient per year of fibromyalgia syndrome (FMS) compared with a reference population.
- High prevalence of restless legs syndrome among patients with fibromyalgia: a controlled cross-sectional studyMari Viola-Saltzman
Department of Neurology, Loyola University Medical Center Maywood, IL, USA
J Clin Sleep Med 6:423-7. 2010To investigate the prevalence of restless legs syndrome (RLS) in fibromyalgia (FM) and determine the presence and amount of sleep disruption in FM patients with RLS...
- Pathophysiology of fibromyalgiaLaurence A Bradley
Division of Clinical Immunology and Rheumatology, University of Alabama at Birmingham, Birmingham, Alabama 35294, USA
Am J Med 122:S22-30. 2009..article reviews the biologic, genetic, and environmental factors that may contribute to the pathophysiology of fibromyalgia. As an affective spectrum disorder, fibromyalgia may share these causal factors with a number of related and co-..
- Employment and health status changes among women with fibromyalgia: a five-year studySusan Reisine
Department of Oral Health and Diagnostic Science and Division of Behavioral Sciences and Community Health, University of Connecticut, Farmington, CT 06030 3910, USA
Arthritis Rheum 59:1735-41. 2008To assess changes in health status of women with fibromyalgia (FM) over 5 years and determine whether baseline employment status influences health outcomes adjusting for other baseline factors.
- Reduction in left supplementary motor area grey matter in adult female fibromyalgia sufferers with marked fatigue and without affective disorder: a pilot controlled 3-T magnetic resonance imaging voxel-based morphometry studyB K Puri
Imaging Department, Imperial College Healthcare NHS Trust, Hammersmith Hospital, London, UK
J Int Med Res 38:1468-72. 2010..the hypothesis that structural grey matter brain changes might occur in the chronic intractable pain disorder fibromyalgia when this is associated with marked fatigue in the absence of a DSM-IV-TR (Diagnostic and Statistical Manual of ..
- The role of the central nervous system in the generation and maintenance of chronic pain in rheumatoid arthritis, osteoarthritis and fibromyalgiaYvonne C Lee
Division of Rheumatology, Immunology and Allergy, Brigham and Women s Hospital, 75 Francis Street, PBB B3, Boston, MA 02115, USA
Arthritis Res Ther 13:211. 2011Pain is a key component of most rheumatologic diseases. In fibromyalgia, the importance of central nervous system pain mechanisms (for example, loss of descending analgesic activity and central sensitization) is well documented...
- Fibromyalgia symptoms are reduced by low-dose naltrexone: a pilot studyJarred Younger
School of Medicine, Department of Anesthesia, Division of Pain Management, Stanford University, 780 Welch Road, Suite 208, Palo Alto, CA 94304 1573, USA
Pain Med 10:663-72. 2009b>Fibromyalgia is a chronic pain disorder that is characterized by diffuse musculoskeletal pain and sensitivity to mechanical stimulation...
- Neuronal Plasticity Related to TMD and FibromyalgiaDean Dessem; Fiscal Year: 2006..primary afferent neurons in musculoskeletal disorders such as temporomandibular disorders (TMD) and fibromyalgia (FM) using animal models...
- Brain mast cells and Chronic Fatigue SyndromeTheoharis C Theoharides; Fiscal Year: 2013..CFS is often comorbid with other disorders that include fibromyalgia, interstitial cystitis (1C), irritable bowel syndrome (IBS), migraines and post-traumatic stress disorder...
- Role of Subdiaphragmatic Vagus in Fibromyalgia SyndromeJON DAVID LEVINE; Fiscal Year: 2013DESCRIPTION (provided by applicant): The primary symptom and most debilitating aspect of fibromyalgia (FM) and other generalized pain syndromes is generalized musculoskeletal tenderness and pain...
- Abdominal Symptom Phenotypes: Pathways to New BiomarkersRobert Shulman; Fiscal Year: 2010..There are well-recognized associations between IBS and other conditions (fibromyalgia, headache) and symptoms (depression, fatigue, insomnia)...
- RCT of exercise on aromatase inhibitor side effects in breast cancer survivorsMelinda L Irwin; Fiscal Year: 2012..Exercise has been shown to improve bone metabolism in healthy women, and to be beneficial for people with fibromyalgia, osteoarthritis and rheumatoid arthritis;however, no randomized trial has examined the impact of exercise on ..
- Etanercept: a Mechanistic Probe of Central Mu-Opioid Dysregulation in Pain StatesALAN RODNEY PROSSIN; Fiscal Year: 2013..tool in understanding the role of immune factors in the pathophysiology of chronic pain states such as Fibromyalgia (FM)...
- FUNCTION OF THE ENTERIC NERVOUS SYSTEMJACKIE WOOD; Fiscal Year: 2013..g., interstitial cystitis, prostatitis, vulvodynia and fibromyalgia)...
- POST-EXERCISE ION CHANNEL GENE EXPRESSION BIOMARKERS IN CFSKathleen C Light; Fiscal Year: 2013..gene expression profile clearly differentiated patients with CFS from those with multiple sclerosis or fibromyalgia without comorbid CFS...
- Control of Nociception in the Spinal CordSukhbir S Mokha; Fiscal Year: 2013..Many pain syndromes/disorders observed below the head region, such as irritable bowel syndrome (IBS), fibromyalgia, vulvodynia, endometriosis and pelvic pain, have a greater prevalence in women or are female-specific...
- Urocortin &Musculoskeletal HyperalgesiaAlice A Larson; Fiscal Year: 2013..by applicant): There is a high degree of co-morbidity between painful musculoskeletal disorders, such as fibromyalgia, and various painful abdominal disorders, such as irritable bowel syndrome and interstitial cystitis...
- Brain Matters 3: Values at the Crossroads of Neurology, Psychiatry, and PsychologPAUL JASON FORD; Fiscal Year: 2012..pain disorders, psychogenic movement disorders, conversion disorders, post traumatic stress disorder, and fibromyalgia. The complexities of suffering and disability experienced by individuals with these conditions are significant;..
- Persistent COMT-dependent Pain: Role of beta-adrenergic ReceptorsANDREA G NACKLEY NEELY; Fiscal Year: 2013DESCRIPTION (provided by applicant): Complex persistent pain conditions, such as fibromyalgia (FM) and temporomandibular disorder (TMD), are ineffectively treated because the underlying molecular mechanisms remain largely unknown...
- Multi-Disciplinary Evaluation of Chronic Pelvic Pain SyndromeGERALD LOUIS ANDRIOLE; Fiscal Year: 2012..techniques (CASL-fMRI) to evaluate sensory processing in IC/PBS patients with and without associated fibromyalgia. In PROJECT 5, Drs Hong and North will investigate the relationship between IC/PBS and somatization disorder...
- Outcomes Research in Rheumatic DiseasesDinesh Khanna; Fiscal Year: 2013..rheumatoid arthritis) and have support of established clinical researchers in systemic lupus erythematosus and fibromyalgia, providing a rich environment of POR at UM...
- Immune and Gilia Regulation of Pain &Analgesic ActionsLinda Watkins; Fiscal Year: 2012..are chronic pain states in humans associated with glial activation in spinal cord and/or brain?;American Fibromyalgia Syndrome Association (Watkins CD Boulder PI;open ended small grant);(h) Human spinal cord glial cytokines & ..
- Control of Nociception in the Spinal CordSukhbir S Mokha; Fiscal Year: 2010Many pain syndromes/disorders observed below the head region, such as irritable bowel syndrome (IBS), fibromyalgia, interstitial cystitis (1C), vulvodynia, endometriosis and pelvic pain, have a greater prevalence in women or are female-..
- Exertional Exhaustion in CFSJames N Baraniuk; Fiscal Year: 2013..are common findings in Chronic Fatigue Syndrome (CFS) and allied disorders such as Gulf War Illness (GWI) and Fibromyalgia (FM)...
- Spinal glia activation in chronic stress-induced visceral hyperalgesiaSylvie Bradesi; Fiscal Year: 2013..to many other stress-sensitive pain conditions, including interstitial cystitis, non-cardiac chest pain and fibromyalgia. PUBLIC HEALTH RELEVANCE: In the current proposal, we have developed the concept that chronic stress may induce ..
- Comorbid Chronic Pain Conditions - Mechanisms, Diagnosis and TreatmentsAllen W Cowley; Fiscal Year: 2011..They include: chronic fatigue syndrome, chronic headache, endometriosis, fibromyalgia, irritable bowel syndrome, interstitial cystitis, and vulvodynia...
- Contribution of altered muscle hemodynamics to fatigability in older persons withCHARLOTTE A contact PETERSON; Fiscal Year: 2010b>Fibromyalgia (FM) is a clinical state of widespread musculoskeletal pain with multiple tender points that is most common in postmenopausal women. Fatigue, particularly post-exertional, is an additional hallmark of the syndrome...
- Exercise and Depression in Adults with Arthritis: An IPD Meta-AnalysisGeorge A Kelley; Fiscal Year: 2013..exercise (aerobic, strength, or both) on depression in adults with osteoarthritis, rheumatoid arthritis and fibromyalgia, the three types of AORD in which the largest number of randomized controlled exercise intervention trials are ..
- TRAINING OF ARTHRITIS RESEARCH SCIENTISTSDAVID ALAN FOX; Fiscal Year: 2013..rheumatic diseases, including rheumatoid arthritis, systemic lupus erythematosus (SLE), scleroderma (SSc), and fibromyalgia. These faculty have a strong record of discovery in areas such as the molecular basis of autoimmunity, the role ..
- EXAMINING THE VASCULAR TONE BAROREFLEX AS A TARGET FOR ALCOHOL USE INTERVENTIONEvgeny G Vaschillo; Fiscal Year: 2013..biofeedback procedure that reduces the severity of the symptoms associated with asthma, major depression, fibromyalgia, neurosis, and hypertension...
- Traditional Chinese Medicine for Fibromyalgia: A Whole Systems TrialScott David Mist; Fiscal Year: 2013..initial phase in assessing the effectiveness of Traditional Chinese Medicine (TCM) for the treatment of fibromyalgia. Second, the use of nociceptive dorsal reflex testing represents the use of state-of-the-art techniques in ..
- The Neuroendocrine and Inflammatory Response to Exercise in FibromyalgiaLISA J contact WOOD; Fiscal Year: 2010DESCRIPTION (provided by applicant): Fibromyalgia (FM) is a pain disorder defined by chronic widespread pain and multiple muscle-tendon junction tender points. Exercise has been suggested as a treatment for FM...
- MBSR for fibromyalgia: A dose-finding studyAther Ali; Fiscal Year: 2013..clinical investigator focusing on rigorous evaluation and integration of evidence-based CAM therapies for fibromyalgia. The research, training, and mentorship will be based at the Yale University School of Medicine, with abundant ..
- Sleep and Pain Interventions in Fibromyalgia: Hyperalgesia and Central SensitizatChristina S McCrae; Fiscal Year: 2012Approximately 50-70% of patients with chronic pain, particularly fibromyalgia sufferers, report sleep difficulties...
- Fibromyalgia Activity Study with TENS "FAST"Kathleen A Sluka; Fiscal Year: 2013DESCRIPTION (provided by applicant): Pain associated with fibromyalgia interferes with daily function, work, and social activities resulting in a decreased quality of life...
- Brain Bladder Interactions in IC/PBSLARISSA RODRIGUEZ; Fiscal Year: 2012..functional pain disorders, which also include such common disorders as irritable bowel syndrome (IBS) and fibromyalgia (FM)...
- Glucocorticoid Negative Feedback: Intrinsic and Extrinsic MechanismsRobert L Spencer; Fiscal Year: 2012..g. Type II diabetes, chronic fatigue syndrome, fibromyalgia)...
- Combined Behavioral &Analgesic Trial for Fibromyalgia (COMBAT-FM)DENNIS CHARLES TURK; Fiscal Year: 2013DESCRIPTION (provided by applicant): Fibromyalgia (FM) is a chronic widespread pain syndrome with a number of concurrent symptoms (e.g...
- Peripheral blood genomic biomarkers for primary fibromyalgiaSUNIL MATHAN KURIAN; Fiscal Year: 2012DESCRIPTION (provided by applicant): Fibromyalgia (FM) is the most common chronic pain condition presenting with widespread musculoskeletal pain...
- Contribution of ADA1A polymorphism to persistent pain statesSHAD BENJAMIN SMITH; Fiscal Year: 2010..A compelling explanation for the development of idiopathic disorders, such as fibromyalgia, irritable bowel syndrome, and temporomandibular joint disease (TMD), is disregulation of the adrenergic ..
- Role of ASIC3 in the etiology of fibromyalgiaKathleen A Sluka; Fiscal Year: 2010..These studies could lead to peripherally based therapeutic approaches to control pain without undesirable CMS (central nervous system) side effects, including gene therapy. ..
- Longitudinal Determination of Outcomes of Adolescents with FibromyalgiaSusmita Kashikar-Zuck; Fiscal Year: 2013DESCRIPTION (provided by applicant): Fibromyalgia syndrome (FMS) is a chronic and often debilitating condition that results in marked difficulties in daily functioning, psychiatric comorbidity and decreased quality of life...
- Complex Persistant Pain Conditions: Unique &Shared Pathways of VulnerabilityWilliam Maixner; Fiscal Year: 2013DESCRIPTION (provided by applicant): Complex persistent pain conditions (CPPCs) such as headache conditions, fibromyalgia, temporomandibular disorders, irritable bowel syndrome, and vulvar vestibulitis are high prevalent and shared or ..
- Multi-disciplinary Approach to the Study of Chronic Pelvic Pain (MAPP)Karl J Kreder; Fiscal Year: 2012..around the general hypothesis that patients with IC/PBS bladder symptoms and a co-morbid condition like fibromyalgia (FM) or irritable bowel syndrome (IBS) have systemic basis for their symptoms and are fundamentally different ..
- Fibromyalgia and Sleep TreatmentsNancy A Hamilton; Fiscal Year: 2010..The purpose of this study is to test a sleep-medicine intervention to reduce the severity of symptoms related to Fibromyalgia (FM)...
- Mast cells, antidepressants and chronic fatigue syndromeTheoharis Theoharides; Fiscal Year: 2007..CFS often occurs with comorbid diseases such as fibromyalgia, irritable bowel syndrome (IBS), interstitial cystitis (IC) and migraines, all of which also worsen by stress...
- Tai Chi and FibromyalgiaChenchen Wang; Fiscal Year: 2013DESCRIPTION (provided by applicant): Fibromyalgia (FM) is a chronic musculoskeletal pain syndrome that causes substantial physical and psychological impairment and costs over $25 billion annually...
- Novel Use of Ketotifen (Mast Cell Stablizier)in Fibromyalgia: A Pilot StudyDENNIS CHUA ANG; Fiscal Year: 2012DESCRIPTION (provided by applicant): Despite the enormous societal and personal burden of fibromyalgia (FM), effective treatment for this condition remains suboptimal...
- University of Michigan MAPP Research Network Discovery SiteJ Quentin Clemens; Fiscal Year: 2012..of the Chronic Pain and Fatigue Research Center (CPFRC) are internationally known for translational research in fibromyalgia (FM) and related illnesses, including interstitial cystitis/painful bladder syndrome (IC/PBS)...
- Lifestyle Modification Program for Overweight and Obese Fibromyalgia PatientsAkiko Okifuji; Fiscal Year: 2010..a lifestyle modification program to improve weight and symptom management in overweight and obese patients with fibromyalgia syndrome (FMS)...
- NGF-Dependent Sensitization of Nociceptors by OpiatesFrank Porreca; Fiscal Year: 2012..to insights into clinical conditions of prominent pain without apparent tissue injury including, for example fibromyalgia, IBS, CRPS-1 and perhaps migraine...
- CER Collaboration: University of Arizona and Marino Center for Integrative HealthMikel G Aickin; Fiscal Year: 2010..based on the concept of the patient trajectory of care and providing patient-centered results, including fibromyalgia, back pain, irritable bowel syndrome, and peri- menopausal symptoms...
- Emotional Exposure and Cognitive Behavioral Therapies for FibromyalgiaMark A Lumley; Fiscal Year: 2013DESCRIPTION (provided by applicant): Fibromyalgia (FM) is a common and disabling pain condition, which is notoriously difficult to treat...
- Structural and Molecular Neuroplasticity in Chronic Trigeminal PainAlexandre Dasilva; Fiscal Year: 2013..g. fibromyalgia). These findings represent either higher occupation of MOR by endogenous ligands or loss of opioid receptors...
- Glutamatergic transmission within the sensory ganglionLuc Jasmin; Fiscal Year: 2013..key chemical phenomena are involved in various forms of pain, from migraines, to intractable facial pain, from fibromyalgia to chronic low back pain...
- Supraspinal Modulation of Nociceptive Reactions in FibromyalgiaJAMIE LYNN RHUDY; Fiscal Year: 2010b>Fibromyalgia syndrome (FMS) is an insidious disease that results in disability for 70% of those who suffer from it and tremendous loss of work and productivity. It is estimated that 8-12 million adults in the U.S...
- Fibromyalgia: Interventions for pain and mood regulationMARY COLLEEN DAVIS; Fiscal Year: 2012Approximately 5% of women and 1.6% of men (White et al., 1999) have been diagnosed with Fibromyalgia (FM), a chronic pain condition of unknown etiology with few satisfactory treatment options...
- Center for the Biologic Basis of Oral/Systemic Disease (CBBOSD)Jeffrey L Ebersole; Fiscal Year: 2013..Mucosa;Project 2: Physiology of the Stress Response in Patients with Temporomandibular Disorders and Fibromyalgia;Project 3: Coordinated Oral-Intestinal Immune Response in Patients with Inflammatory Bowel Diseases;and 2 ..
- Structural studies of CaV alpha2delta subunits and interaction with anti-nociceptDaniel L Minor; Fiscal Year: 2010..Voltage-gated calcium channels are the targets of drugs that are used to treat pain, epilepsy, migraine, fibromyalgia, and mood disorders...
- Fibromyalgia Integrative Training Program for Teens (FIT Teens)Susmita Kashikar-Zuck; Fiscal Year: 2013DESCRIPTION (provided by applicant): Juvenile fibromyalgia (JFM) is a chronic and debilitating pain condition in adolescents characterized by widespread pain, tender points, fatigue, and is often accompanied by mood disturbances...
- ASICs as metabolic sensors in muscle afferentsChristopher J Benson; Fiscal Year: 2013..conditions such as claudication from peripheral vascular disease, pain associated with sickle cell disease, fibromyalgia, muscle injury, and other painful muscle conditions...
- Mechanisms of Sensory Processing in FibromyalgiaRichard H Gracely; Fiscal Year: 2012b>Fibromyalgia is characterized by symptoms of widespread pain and increased sensitivity to painful and non-painful sensory stimulation. The pattern of sensory modality sensitivity varies across individuals...
- Sensory based CNS diagnostics for the clinicMark A Tommerdahl; Fiscal Year: 2012..More specifically, we will examine the differences and commonalities from observations of pain patients diagnosed with one of the following: fibromyalgia, vulvodynia, TMJD, IBS and migraine.
- Behavioral Interventions and Long Term Outcomes in Juvenile Fibromyalgia SyndromeSusmita Kashikar-Zuck; Fiscal Year: 2013..Award application are to 1) successfully implement an ongoing randomized clinical trial in juvenile fibromyalgia 2) perform a prospective longitudinal study to determine long term prognosis of pediatric patients with ..
- A Pilot Study on the Combined Use of Cognitive Behavioral Therapy (CBT) and DuloxDENNIS CHUA ANG; Fiscal Year: 2010b>Fibromyalgia (FMS), defined as the presence of both chronic widespread pain and the finding of 11/18 tender points on examination, affects 2% of the general population...
- A Twin Study of Chronic Fatigue Syndrome in SwedenNancy Pedersen; Fiscal Year: 2003..members of the population- based Swedish Twin Registry for persistent fatigue, several overlapping conditions (fibromyalgia, irritable bowel syndrome, tension headache, allergy/eczema, generalized anxiety disorder, and major depression)..
- Stress and Neuroimmune Dysergulation in Chronic Fatigue PatientsKathleen Light; Fiscal Year: 2007..healthy controls, and between patients with CFS vs. fibromyalgia (FMS)...
- MASSAGE THERAPY FOR CANCER-RELATED FATIGUEAndrew Avins; Fiscal Year: 2004..studies have suggested some efficacy of bodywork therapies in conditions characterized by fatigue, such as fibromyalgia and chronic fatigue syndrome...
- GENERAL CLINICAL RESEARCH CENTERA Eugene Washington; Fiscal Year: 2011..disorders, Alzheimer's disease, depression in minority groups, inflamatory bowel disease and fibromyalgia, diabetes, atherosclerosis, obesity, the application of state of the art imaging and analytical techniques to ..
- Center of Excellence in Biobehavioral Approaches to Symptom ManagementMary Jo Grap; Fiscal Year: 2013..and Analysis and through the implementation of five funded research projects studying fatigue in women with fibromyalgia, women with breast cancer, pregnant women, women with cardiometabolic risk, and adolescents and young adults ..
- Neuroimaging Approaches to Deconstructing Acupuncuture for Chronic PainVitaly Napadow; Fiscal Year: 2013..For example, while electro-acupuncture (EA) was superior to sham acupuncture in relieving pain for fibromyalgia (FM), manual acupuncture (MA) was not. In terms of physiologic action, EA and MA are very different procedures...
- AUTOANTIBODIES TO CELLULAR MATRIX ANTIGENS IN CFSENG TAN; Fiscal Year: 2000..They will be compared with patients with primary Sjogren's syndrome and primary fibromyalgia to determine whether differences in autoantibody specificities exist between different diseases and between CFS ..
- Are Fibromyalgia and Chiari I Malformation Related?Dedra Buchwald; Fiscal Year: 2005DESCRIPTION: Fibromyalgia (FM) is a common condition of unknown etiology characterized by widespread muscle pain, sleep disturbances, fatigue, and various subjective neurological complaints...
- NORADRENERGIC DYSFUNCTION--A MODEL OF FIBROMYALGIA PAINLuc Jasmin; Fiscal Year: 2001The goal of this project is to develop a rat model of fibromyalgia pain which could provide the basis for future research into this complex disease...
- Maximizing Beneficial Exercise Effects in Fibromyalgia.Kim Jones; Fiscal Year: 2005DESCRIPTION: (provided by applicant) Fibromyalgia (FM) is a common, costly and debilitating chronic pain syndrome diagnosed in nearly 6 million Americans, 90% of whom are women...
- WORK SCHEDULES AND HEALTH IN WOMEN HEALTH PROFESSIONALSRosalind Barnett; Fiscal Year: 2001..TMJ, hypertension, coronary artery disease (CAD), peptic ulcer disease (PUD) and nonulcer dyspepsia, and fibromyalgia. Alternative career options (e.g...
- NEUROENDOCRINOLOGY OF MASTICATORY MUSCLE DISORDERSElizabeth Young; Fiscal Year: 2000..Recent evidence also demonstrates HPA dysregulation in other conditions related to TMDs: in particular, in fibromyalgia. This is a condition of generalized myalgia with a great deal of clinical overlap with masticatory muscle ..
- FOREBRAIN MECHANISMS IN CHRONIC NON-NEUROPATHIC PAINKenneth Casey; Fiscal Year: 2002Psychophysical studies have shown that patients with fibromyalgia (FM) have cutaneous heat and pressure thresholds that are lower and ratings of these stimuli that are higher than normal...