anterior compartment syndrome
Summary: Rapid swelling, increased tension, pain, and ischemic necrosis of the muscles of the anterior tibial compartment of the leg, often following excessive exertion.
Publications122 found, 100 shown here
- Multifocal streptococcal pyomyositis complicated by acute compartment syndrome: case reportP Harrington
Department of Orthopaedics, Leeds General Infirmary, Leeds, UK
J Pediatr Orthop B 10:120-2. 2001..With aggressive surgical and medical management, the child made a complete recovery. Orthopaedic clinicians in nontropical areas must familiarize themselves with this rare, potentially life-threatening, but eminently curable disease...
- Unimuscular neuromuscular insult of the leg in partial anterior compartment syndrome in a patient with combined fracturesY F Leung
Department of Orthopaedics and Traumatology, Yan Chai Hospital, Tsuen Wan, Hong Kong
Hong Kong Med J 9:214-6. 2003..The subsequent management of this patient is described...
- Continuous compartment pressure monitoring vs. clinical monitoring in tibial diaphyseal fracturesO Q Al-Dadah
Norfolk and Norwich University Hospital, Colney Lane, Norwich, Norfolk NR4 7UY, England, United Kingdom
Injury 39:1204-9. 2008..Continuous compartment pressure monitoring did not increase the rate of unnecessary fasciotomies. We could not demonstrate a significant difference in terms of clinical outcome and time delay from injury to fasciotomy...
- Acute exertional compartment syndrome in an athleteJ E Green
Department of Plastic and Reconstructive Surgery, The Royal Victoria Infirmary, Newcastle upon Tyne NE1 4LP, UK
Br J Plast Surg 54:265-7. 2001..It is often diagnosed late due to lack of awareness and patient stoicism. We illustrate the consequences of delay and reinforce the need for prompt and decisive fasciotomy if complications are to be avoided...
- Anterior compartment syndrome following an Achilles tendon repair: an unusual complicationJeremy Reed
University of Calgary Sport Medicine Centre, Calgary, Alberta, Canada
Clin J Sport Med 14:237-41. 2004
- Chronic anterior compartment syndrome and deep peroneal nerve functionG A Rowdon
Methodist Sports Medicine Center, Indianapolis, Indiana, USA
Clin J Sport Med 11:229-33. 2001..Further study is necessary before the absence of postexercise potentiation of the peroneal motor amplitude may be considered a diagnostic sign of CAECS...
- Leg anterior compartment syndrome following ankle arthroscopy after Maisonneuve fractureShinji Imade
Department of Orthopaedic Surgery, Shimane University School of Medicine, Shimane, Japan
Arthroscopy 25:215-8. 2009We report a case of leg anterior compartment syndrome following ankle arthroscopy after Maisonneuve fracture. A 21-year-old football player sprained his left ankle...
- [Pressure conditions under VVS-foams - an experimental in-vitro- and in-vivo-analysis]F von Lübken
Chirurgische Klinik, Bundeswehrkrankenhaus Ulm
Zentralbl Chir 129:S95-7. 2004..A.C.(R) dressings. Both polyurethane and polyvinyl alcohol foams were used...
- Risk factors for chronic exertional compartment syndrome in a physically active military populationBrian R Waterman
Brian R Waterman, Department of Orthopaedic Surgery and Rehabilitation, William Beaumont Army Medical Center, 5005 North Piedras Street, El Paso, TX 79920 5001
Am J Sports Med 41:2545-9. 2013..While anatomic risk factors of CECS have been proposed, there is no existing study that evaluates the correlation of demographic and occupational risk factors and the overall incidence rate of CECS in an active military population...
- Compartment syndrome of the thigh after blunt trauma: a complication not to be ignoredAndré Pierre Uzel
Service d Orthopedie Traumatologie, CHU Pointe à Pitre, route de Chauvel, 97159 Pointe à Pitre cedex, Guadeloupe
Musculoskelet Surg 97:81-3. 2013..This conservative treatment implies close monitoring of intramuscular pressures and adjuvant measures (bed rest, holding the thigh at the heart level and oxygenotherapy)...
- Bilateral exercise induced exertional compartment syndrome resulting in acute compartment loss: a case reportMitchel S Robinson
Department of Orthopaedic Surgery, Denver Health Medical Center, University of Colorado Health Sciences Center, Orthopaedic Department, Denver Health, Denver, Colorado, USA
J Trauma 65:225-7. 2008
- Compartment syndrome of the leg associated with lithotomy position for cytoreductive surgeryLuis Zappa
Washington Cancer Institute, Washington, District of Columbia 20010, USA
J Surg Oncol 96:619-23. 2007..Patients undergoing cytoreductive surgery combined with intraperitoneal chemotherapy are required to be in the lithotomy position for many hours. Compartment syndrome can develop necessitating fasciotomy...
- An unusual consequence of deep vein thrombosisB van der Loo
Department of Medicine, Zurich University Hospital, Zurich, Switzerland
Int Angiol 21:277-9. 2002..We report here an unusual case in which deep vein thrombosis, limited to the infrapopliteal region, led to an anterior tibial compartment syndrome as a major complication in a patient who had undergone heart surgery shortly before...
- Transplantation of adult myoblasts or adipose tissue precursor cells by high-density injection failed to improve reinnervated skeletal musclesMatthieu César
Institut National de la Recherche Agronomique, UMR 866 Différenciation cellulaire et croissance, 2 Place Pierre Viala, F 34060 Montpellier, France
Muscle Nerve 37:219-30. 2008..These results, together with the results of earlier studies, emphasize the importance of delivery methods and the muscle environment in supporting cell integration into host tissues...
- Surgical management of exertional anterior compartment syndrome of the legT Ali
Department of Surgery, Port of Spain General Hospital, Port of Spain, Trinidad and Tobago School of Medicine, Faculty of Medical Sciences, The University of the West Indies, St Augustine, Trinidad and Tobago
West Indian Med J 62:529-32. 2013To describe the characteristic presentation of exertional leg pain in athletes and to discuss the diagnostic options and surgical management of exertional anterior compartment syndrome of the leg in this group of patients.
- Exertional compartment syndrome and the role of magnetic resonance imagingTamara D Lauder
Department of Physical Medicine, Mayo School of Medicine, Rochester, Minnesota 55905, USA
Am J Phys Med Rehabil 81:315-9. 2002..Chronic exertional compartment syndrome can occur in some patients after even minimal physical activities, and magnetic resonance imaging without the use of radioisotopes was a useful adjunct for diagnosis...
- The diagnostic value of intracompartmental pressure measurement, magnetic resonance imaging, and near-infrared spectroscopy in chronic exertional compartment syndrome: a prospective study in 50 patientsJohan G H van den Brand
Department of General Surgery, University Medical Center and Central Military Hospital Utrecht, PO Box 85 500, 3508 GA Utrecht, The Netherlands
Am J Sports Med 33:699-704. 2005..Studies have shown that magnetic resonance imaging and near-infrared spectroscopy have diagnostic ability in this syndrome...
- Compartment syndrome of the lower leg after surgery in the modified lithotomy position: report of seven casesEelco B Wassenaar
Department of General Surgery, University Medical Center, Utrecht, The Netherlands
Dis Colon Rectum 49:1449-53. 2006..Methods were searched for the prevention of this iatrogenic complication after a series of seven patients who developed compartment syndrome after surgery at our hospital...
- Peroneal neuropathyB Katirji
Department of Neurology, Case Western Reserve University School of Medicine, EMG Laboratory, Neuromuscular Division, University Hospitals of Cleveland, Cleveland, Ohio 44106, USA
Neurol Clin 17:567-91, vii. 1999..The differential diagnosis of foot drop, including when caused by the anterior compartmental syndrome of the leg, is also discussed...
- Isolated anterior compartment syndrome after a bimalleolar-equivalent ankle fracture in a collegiate football playerAdam M Starr
Robert Wood Johnson University Hospital, New Brunswick, New Jersey
Sports Health 3:560-3. 2011..The authors report a case of an isolated anterior compartment syndrome in a college student athlete who suffered a bimalle olar ankle fracture dislocation...
- A review of chronic exertional compartment syndrome in the lower legP G Blackman
Olympic Park Sports Medicine Centre, Melbourne, Australia
Med Sci Sports Exerc 32:S4-10. 2000..Surgical treatment is usually definitive and techniques for decompression of the five compartments are presented with comparison to available conservative treatments...
- Is eccentric muscle contraction a significant factor in the development of chronic anterior compartment syndrome? A review of the literatureJo L Tweed
Podiatry Department, Kensington and Chelsea PCT, St Charles Hospital, Exmoor Street, London W10 6DZ, UK
Foot (Edinb) 18:165-70. 2008..The purpose of this article was to review published articles investigating the association of eccentric contractions of the anterior compartment with an increase in intramuscular pressure...
- The estimated sensitivity and specificity of compartment pressure monitoring for acute compartment syndromeMargaret M McQueen
Edinburgh Orthopaedic Trauma Unit, Royal Infirmary of Edinburgh, Edinburgh, EH16 4SU, Scotland
J Bone Joint Surg Am 95:673-7. 2013..The aim of our study was to document the estimated sensitivity and specificity of continuous intracompartmental pressure monitoring for the diagnosis of acute compartment syndrome...
- Can intramuscular glucose levels diagnose compartment syndrome?Christopher J Doro
From the University of Wisconsin School of Medicine and Public Health C J D, T J S, Madison, Wisconsin, and the R Adams Cowley Shock Trauma Center R V O, Department of Orthopaedics, University of Maryland School of Medicine, Baltimore, Maryland
J Trauma Acute Care Surg 76:474-8. 2014..We hypothesized that measurement of intramuscular glucose and oxygen can identify compartment syndrome with high sensitivity and specificity...
- Acute anterior compartment syndrome following low energy non-contact injuryMario Rancan
ANZ J Surg 74:1023-4. 2004
- Bilateral anterior compartment syndrome after routine coronary artery bypass surgery and severe hypothyroidismJane Mills
Division of Cardiothoracic Surgery, Royal Hobart Hospital, Hobart, Australia
Ann Thorac Surg 90:1338-40. 2010..We advise a high index of suspicion in patients postvein harvest and recommend thyroid function testing for all patients who have compartment syndrome develop...
- Long-term MRI and clinical follow-up of symptomatic and presymptomatic carriers of dysferlin gene mutationsD Brummer
University of Ulm, Dept of Neurology, Ulm, Germany
Acta Myol 24:6-16. 2005..This is of particular relevance in Miyoshi myopathy because distinct CK elevation is present long before its clinical onset and often misdiagnosed as "idiopathic"...
- Vibrio vulnificus necrotizing fasciitis of the calf presenting with compartment syndromeDan Miron
Pediatric Infectious Disease Consultation Service, Haemek Medical Center, Afula, Israel
Pediatr Infect Dis J 22:666-8. 2003..The disease was complicated by necrotizing fasciitis requiring above the knee amputation. Childhood diseases associated with iron overload pose an increased risk for complicated V. vulnificus infections...
- Elevated intramuscular compartment pressures do not influence outcome after tibial fractureTimothy O White
Orthopaedic Trauma Unit, Royal Infirmary of Edinburgh, Little France, United Kingdom
J Trauma 55:1133-8. 2003..The cited reason for this is concern over leaving high intramuscular pressures untreated...
- The diagnostic value of MRI scans for the diagnosis of chronic exertional compartment syndrome of the lower legE J Verleisdonk
Department of Surgery, University Hospital Utrecht, The Netherlands
Skeletal Radiol 30:321-5. 2001..This effect disappeared after fasciotomy. In view of the substantial increase in T2-weighted signal intensity, MRI can be used in diagnosing chronic compartment syndrome...
- A simplified technique of using bipedicled fasciocutaneous flaps in closure of soft tissue defects of the anterior leg in patients with fasciotomy woundsDeemesh Oudit
Lancashire Teaching Hospitals, Royal Preston Hospital, Manchester, United Kingdom
J Trauma 63:1185-6. 2007
- Evaluation of stress-related anterior lower leg pain with magnetic resonance imaging and intracompartmental pressure measurementMartti J Kiuru
Department of Radiology, Helsinki University Central Hospital, P O Box 340, FIN 00029, Helsinki, Finland
Mil Med 168:48-52. 2003..05). Stress-related anterior lower leg pain can be related to CECS, bone stress injury, and traction periostitis. Clinical diagnosis is unreliable. CECS and bone stress injury or traction periostitis can occur separately or together...
- Free functional rectus femoris muscle transfer for restoration of extension of the foot after lower leg compartment syndromeGottfried Wechselberger
Department of Plastic and Reconstructive Surgery, Leopold Franzens University Innsbruck, Anichstrasse 35, 6020 Innsbruck, Austria
Microsurgery 24:437-41. 2004..Free functional rectus femoris transfer can obtain excellent results in treating foot-drop and soft-tissue defects due to lower leg compartment syndrome and loss of all muscles of the anterior compartment. (c)..
- Compartment pressures, limb length changes and the ideal spherical shape: a case report and in vitro studyCharles Kenny
Department of Surgery, Division of Orthopaedic Surgery, Columbia Memorial Hospital, Hudson, New York, USA
J Trauma 61:909-12. 2006..If an acute increase in limb length can adversely affect compartment pressures, reversal or delay of such an increase in length may be of value in the treatment and prevention of compartment syndromes...
- Intramuscular and blood pressures in legs positioned in the hemilithotomy position : clarification of risk factors for well-leg acute compartment syndromeR Scott Meyer
Department of Orthopaedic Surgery, University of California at San Diego Medical Center, San Diego, California 92123 4228, USA
J Bone Joint Surg Am 84:1829-35. 2002..The purpose of this study was to identify the risk factors for development of acute compartment syndrome resulting from this type of leg positioning...
- [DRG exercises: vacuum sealing, tibial fracture with compartment syndrome]R Bartkowski
Arzt für Chirurgie, Medizinische Informatik, Berlin
Chirurg 74:M233-6. 2003
- Effect of eccentric exercise on patients with chronic exertional compartment syndromeD B Birtles
Applied Biomedical Research Centre, GKT School of Biomedical Sciences, King s College London, Shepherd s House, Guy s Campus, UK
Eur J Appl Physiol 88:565-71. 2003..05). These results suggest that some, but not all, CECS patients may be more susceptible to the pain associated with eccentric contractions that is thought to be the cause of damage and inflammation of connective tissue...
- Intense basketball-simulated exercise induces muscle damage in men with elevated anterior compartment pressureNikos Kostopoulos
School of Medicine, University of Crete, Irakleio 71110, Greece
J Strength Cond Res 18:451-8. 2004..Results of the present investigation provide evidence to support proper diagnosis, monitoring, care, and preventive measures for symptomatic individuals prior to participation in activities such as basketball...
- Acute on chronic peroneal compartment syndromeM Mueller
Orthopaedic and Trauma Department, William Harvey Hospital, Kennington Road, Willesborough, Ashford, Kent TN24 0LZ, UK
Injury 35:1196-9. 2004
- [Painful swollen leg 52 years after bimalleolar fracture]St Schneider
Klinik St Katharinental, Diessenhofen und Rheumaklinik und Institut für Physikalische Medizin und Rehabilitation, Kantonsspital Aarau
Praxis (Bern 1994) 98:1457-61. 2009..Precipitated hydroxyapatite crystals were found by ultrasound-guided aspiration, the lesion was then treated by injection of corticosteroids and an anesthetic...
- Acute exertional compartment syndrome in the setting of anabolic steroids: an unusual cause of bilateral footdropNathania R Liem
Division of Physical Medicine and Rehabilitation, University of Ottawa, Ottawa, Ontario, Canada
Muscle Nerve 32:113-7. 2005..This case illustrates that the differential diagnosis for footdrop includes not only central and peripheral nervous system and muscle causes, but also compartment syndromes...
- Acute tibial compartment syndrome following spine surgeryAvraam Ploumis
Twin Cities Spine Center, Minneapolis, Minnesota, USA
Orthopedics 33:447. 2010..Unrecognized limb ischemia and possibly restricted venous return were the causes of the compartment syndrome. Surgeons should be aware of this devastating complication of spine surgery...
- Muscle activation characteristics in cross-country skiers with a history of anterior compartment painPeter Federolf
Human Performance Laboratory, University of Calgary, Calgary, Canada
Sports Biomech 11:452-63. 2012A large proportion of elite cross-country skiers suffer from chronic anterior compartment syndrome (CACS)...
- Periostitis as the initial manifestation of systemic vasculitisP M Aries
Ann Rheum Dis 64:329-30. 2005
- [Overuse injury syndromes of the calf and foot] ]M Smerdelj
Klinika za ortopediju Medicinskog fakulteta Sveucilista u Zagrebu, KBC Zagreb, Zagreb
Arh Hig Rada Toksikol 52:451-64. 2001..common overuse injuries of the lower leg such as shin splints, tibialis posterior syndrome, chronic anterior compartment syndrome, overuse injury of the Achilles tendon, enthesitis of the tendo Achilles, retrocalcanear bursitis and ..
- Patient with compartment syndrome of the lower extremityLinda C Wessel
Wound Care and Hyperbaric Medicine Center, Southeast Missouri Hospital, 1701 Lacey Street, Cape Girardeau, MO 63701, USA
J Wound Ostomy Continence Nurs 29:210-5. 2002
- [Chronic relapsing compartment syndrome]H Stiegler
Klinik für Angiologie, Klinikum Schwabing, Städt Kliniken München, Kolner Platz 1, Munich, Germany
Unfallchirurg 112:373-80. 2009..sonographic criteria induced by increased compartment pressure, especially for the most frequent anterior compartment syndrome with compression of the deep veins, increased movement of arterial wall and finally enddiastolic ..
- A spontaneous compartment syndrome in a patient with diabetesR M Jose
Department of Plastic Surgery, Selly Oak Hospital, Birmingham, UK
J Bone Joint Surg Br 86:1068-70. 2004..We describe a patient with diabetes who developed a spontaneous compartment syndrome. The diagnosis was delayed because of the atypical presentation...
- [Transfer of the posterior tibialis tendon to restore an active dorsiflexion of the foot]I Mehling
Klinik und Poliklinik fur Unfallchirurgie, Zentrum für muskuloskeletale Chirurgie, Universitätsmedizin Mainz
Handchir Mikrochir Plast Chir 44:29-34. 2012..As it is known from the literature objective results were mostly fair, but there was a high degree of satisfaction among the patients...
- The validity of the diagnostic criteria used in chronic exertional compartment syndrome: a systematic reviewA Roberts
Centre for Human Performance, Rehabilitation and Sports Medicine, Defence Medical Rehabilitation Centre, Surrey, UK
Scand J Med Sci Sports 22:585-95. 2012..Clinicians are recommended to use protocol-specific upper confidence limits to guide the diagnosis following a failed conservative management...
- Lower extremity anterior compartment syndrome complicating bilateral mastectomy and immediate breast reconstruction: A case report and literature reviewA Yashar Tashakkor
University of British Columbia, Vancouver, British Columbia
Can J Plast Surg 20:103-6. 2012..A case involving a 56-year-old woman who developed an anterior compartment syndrome of her right lower leg following a bilateral mastectomy with immediate breast reconstruction is ..
- Forefoot running improves pain and disability associated with chronic exertional compartment syndromeAngela R Diebal
Keller Army Community Hospital, West Point, NY 10996, USA
Am J Sports Med 40:1060-7. 2012..It is unknown whether adopting a forefoot strike technique will decrease the pain and disability associated with chronic exertional compartment syndrome (CECS) in hindfoot strike runners...
- The magnitude of intramuscular deoxygenation during exercise is an unreliable measure to diagnose the cause of leg painQ Zhang
Department of Orthopaedics, Sahlgrenska University Hospital, University of Gothenburg, Gothenburg, Sweden
Scand J Med Sci Sports 22:690-4. 2012..Intramuscular pressure was measured in patients with nonconclusive findings. Chronic anterior compartment syndrome (CACS) was diagnosed in 47 patients, and other causes for the leg pain were diagnosed in 129 patients ..
- Acute anterior compartment syndrome associated with psychogenic polydipsiaLicia Maiocchi
Macquarie Hospital, North Ryde, NSW, Australia
Australas Psychiatry 20:159-61. 2012The aim of this paper is to describe the association of psychogenic polydipsia with anterior compartment syndrome.
- Rapid development of anterotibial compartment syndrome and rhabdomyolysis in a patient with primary hypothyroidism and adrenal insufficiencyPaul Muir
Department of Medicine, Waitemata District Health Board, Auckland, New Zealand
Thyroid 22:651-3. 2012b>Anterior compartment syndrome (ACS) and rhabdomyolysis are rare complications of hypothyroid myopathy...
- Homologous recombination mediates functional recovery of dysferlin deficiency following AAV5 gene transferWilliam E Grose
Department of Pediatrics, The Ohio State University, Columbus, Ohio, United States of America
PLoS ONE 7:e39233. 2012..muscle disorders including limb girdle muscular dystrophy type 2B, Miyoshi myopathy, distal anterior compartment syndrome, and rigid spine syndrome...
- [Postoperative manifestation of acute compartment syndrome by previously unknown heterozygote sickle cell anemia. A clinical case report]A Schulz
Centrum für Muskuloskeletale Chirurgie, Charite Universitatsmedizin Berlin, Augustenburger Platz 1, 13353, Berlin, Deutschland
Unfallchirurg 111:1021-4. 2008..Preexisting vulnerability for tissue hypoxia in patients at risk should be a major concern for intraoperative use of blood arrest during surgery of the extremities...
- Treatment in an outpatient setting for a patient with an infected, surgical wound with hypergranulation tissueNicole M Stevens
Rockwood Clinic, Spokane, WA 99218, USA
Int J Low Extrem Wounds 8:37-44. 2009..This article demonstrates the positive effect of a multifaceted approach for facilitation of wound healing in a lower extremity wound following fasciotomy...
- [Minimally invasive fasciotomy in the treatment of chronic exertional anterior compartment syndrome of the leg: personal technique]Carmelo Bramante
U O C Chirurgia Generale I, Azienda Ospedaliera Umberto I, Siracusa
Chir Ital 60:711-5. 2008Numerous fasciotomy techniques have been proposed for the treatment of chronic exertional anterior compartment syndrome. In this work we evaluate the efficacy of a personal surgical technique whereby the fasciotomy is performed through a ..
- A 20-year-old man with right leg pain following orofacial surgeryKatherine P Liao
Brigham and Women s Hospital, Boston, Massachusetts 02115, USA
Arthritis Rheum 59:1527-32. 2008
- Chronic exertional compartment syndrome in a collegiate soccer player: a case report and literature reviewDerek Farr
Orthopaedic Institute of South Florida, Baptist Doctors Hospital, Coral Gables, Florida, USA
Am J Orthop (Belle Mead NJ) 37:374-7. 2008..Fasciotomy provides satisfactory relief of symptoms and helps patients return to their sports. We present the case of a high-level collegiate soccer player with chronic exertional compartment syndrome...
- [Athletes with exercise-related pain at the medial side of the lower leg]F Hartgens
Maastricht Universitair Medisch Centrum, capaciteitsgroep Algemene Chirurgie, Polikliniek Sportgeneeskunde, Postbus 5800, 6202 AZ Maastricht
Ned Tijdschr Geneeskd 152:1839-43. 2008..Ankle over-pronation during running is considered a very relevant intrinsic risk factor...
- Compartment syndrome in patients with Buerger disease and anticardiolipin antibodiesJose Maria Pereira de Godoy
Department of Cardiology and Vascular Surgery, Sao Jose do Rio Preto University School of Medicine, Sao Paulo, Brazil
South Med J 101:748-9. 2008..The need for early fasciotomy is emphasized since the progression to necrosis is time dependent. Fasciotomy was the only reperfusion surgery utilized on these patients with resolution of the ischemia...
- The management of complications associated with tibial fracturesDavid C Templeman
University of Minnesota, Hennepin County Medical Center, Department of Orthopaedic Surgery, Minneapolis, Minnesota, USA
Instr Course Lect 58:47-60. 2009..Research regarding bone morphogenesis and the synthesis of multiple compounds has created new options for treating tibial fractures with bone loss...
- Does epidural analgesia delay the diagnosis of lower limb compartment syndrome in children?Doug J G Johnson
Department of Anaesthesia and Pain Management, Royal Children s Hospital, Parkville, Vic, Australia
Paediatr Anaesth 19:83-91. 2009..Focusing on excluding the diagnosis of compartment syndrome rather than failure of analgesic modality is vital. In the pediatric cases reviewed there was no clear evidence that the presence of an epidural had delayed the diagnosis...
- Well leg compartment syndrome: the debit side of hemilithotomy positionShahryar Noordin
Section of Orthopaedics, Department of Surgery, Aga Khan University, Karachi, Pakistan
J Ayub Med Coll Abbottabad 21:166-8. 2009....
- [Clinical and experimental assessment of the current treatment of tibial shaft fractures]Norbert Wiegand
Pecsi Tudomanyegyetem, Általános Orvostudományi Kar, Mozgásszervi Sebészeti Intézet, Traumatológiai és Kézsebészeti Klinikai Tanszék, Pecs, Akác út 1 7630 wiegandnorbert hotmail com
Orv Hetil 151:627-35. 2010..Due to their sensitivity and specificity, calorimetric examinations can help and support the clinical diagnosis in atypical cases...
- Exertional compartment syndromeRobert P Wilder
Department of PM and R, University of Virginia, 545 Ray C Hunt, Charlottesville, VA 22901, USA
Clin Sports Med 29:429-35. 2010..Milder cases will resolve with activity modification and conservative care. More severe cases or those failing conservative care are referred for fasciotomy...
- Mechanical testing of a modified stabilisation method for tibial tuberosity advancementS Etchepareborde
Department of Clinical Sciences, School of Veterinary Medicine, University of Liege, Belgium
Vet Comp Orthop Traumatol 23:400-5. 2010..This in vitro study evaluated three modified techniques of tibial tuberosity advancement (TTA). Loads to failure were calculated for each technique...
- Acute compartment syndrome of the leg: pressure measurement and fasciotomyA C Masquelet
Orthopedics Traumatology Dept, Avicenne Hospital, 125, route de Stalingrad, 93000 Bobigny, France
Orthop Traumatol Surg Res 96:913-7. 2010..It should be noted that this approach is easy, effective and safe...
- T2*-weighted and arterial spin labeling MRI of calf muscles in healthy volunteers and patients with chronic exertional compartment syndrome: preliminary experienceGustav Andreisek
Division of Musculoskeletal Imaging, Department of Medical Imaging, Mount Sinai Hospital and the University Health Network, University of Toronto, Toronto, ON, Canada
AJR Am J Roentgenol 193:W327-33. 2009....
- Unrecognized anterior compartment syndrome following ankle fracture surgery: a case reportAksel Seyahi
Department of Orthopaedic Surgery, American Hospital, Nisantasi, Istanbul, Turkey
J Am Podiatr Med Assoc 99:438-42. 2009..Ten hours later, the patient developed the symptoms of anterior compartment syndrome. Emergency open fasciotomy of the anterior compartment was performed...
- Acute compartment syndrome of the foot following fixation of a pilon variant ankle fractureAmy Henning
Bone and Joint Sports Medicine Institute, Naval Medical Center Portsmouth, Virginia, USA
Orthopedics 33:926. 2010..Postoperatively, the patient reported immediate pain relief. At 18-month follow-up, she reported no pain and had returned to all of her preinjury athletic activities...
- [Acute lower leg compartment syndrome]C Jager
Klinik für Unfallchirurgie und Orthopädie, Spezielle Unfallchirurgie, Johannes Wesling Klinikum Minden, Hans Nolte Str 1, 32429, Minden, Deutschland
Oper Orthop Traumatol 23:5-14. 2011..Decompression of all four muscle compartments of the lower leg to normalize tissue pressure and prevent permanent neuromuscular dysfunction...
- A 45-year-old man presenting with anterior compartment syndrome three weeks following conservative treatment of an Achilles tendon ruptureMichael van Niekerk
Auckland City Hospital, Park Road, Auckland, New Zealand
Scott Med J 56:120. 2011..The exact aetiology is uncertain but we speculate that the equinus position of his ankle combined with weight-bearing, was a major contributing factor...
- [The effect of ankle position on intracompartmental pressures of the leg]Dionysios Tsintzas
Centre for Sports and Exercise Medicine, The Royal London Hospital, London, England, UK
Acta Orthop Traumatol Turc 43:42-8. 2009..We investigated differences in the intracompartmental pressures (ICP) of the leg in relation to various positions of the ankle joint in patients with chronic exertional compartment syndrome (CECS)...
- Intracompartmental pressure testing: results of an international survey of current clinical practice, highlighting the need for standardised protocolsMatthew Hislop
Brisbane Sports and Exercise Medicine Specialists Clinic, Brisbane, Australia
Br J Sports Med 45:956-8. 2011..This highlights the need for a consensus and standardised approach to intracompartmental pressure testing...
- [The acute extremity pain]Hubert Stiegler
Klinik für Angiologie, Klinikum München Schwabing
MMW Fortschr Med 150:30-2; quiz 33. 2008
- Etiologic factors in the development of medial tibial stress syndrome: a review of the literatureJo L Tweed
Podiatry Department, School of Health, The University of Northampton, Northampton, England
J Am Podiatr Med Assoc 98:107-11. 2008..Although various studies have attempted to find the exact pathogenesis of this common condition, it remains unknown...
- Selective type III phosphodiesterase inhibition prevents elevated compartment pressure after ischemia/reperfusion injuryA G Hakaim
Boston University School of Medicine, Massachusetts, USA
J Trauma 46:869-72. 1999..The effect of cilostazol in ischemia/reperfusion injury-induced compartment syndrome was investigated...
- The acute atraumatic peroneal compartment syndrome, a rare and therefore sometimes unrecognised entityD R Vanneste
Department of Radiology, University Hospitals Leuven, Belgium
Acta Chir Belg 103:355-7. 2003..An Acute Peroneal Compartment Syndrome should always be considered in the differential diagnosis of pain in the peroneal region of the lower limb...
- Measurement of intracompartmental pressure with use of a new electronic transducer-tipped catheter systemC Willy
Department of Surgery, Military Hospital Ulm, Germany
J Bone Joint Surg Am 81:158-68. 1999..It is free of hydrostatic pressure artifacts and provides dynamic responses to changes in intramuscular pressure...
- A case study using larval therapy in the community settingK Margaret MacDougall
Clydebank Health Centre, Glasgow, Scotland, UK
Br J Nurs 13:255-60. 2004..There is a need for both qualitative and quantitative research in this field, enabling a more thorough discussion to be entered into by all practitioners with an interest in this subject...
- [Chronic exertional anterior compartment syndrome of the leg with fascial hernia--case report and review of the literature]Paweł Koczewski
Klinika Ortopedii i Traumatologii Dzieciecej, Akademia Medyczna im Karola Marcinkowskiego w Poznaniu
Chir Narzadow Ruchu Ortop Pol 69:49-53. 200418-year-old female with chronic exertional anterior compartment syndrome was described. Pain was localized on the anterior part of the leg after long distance walking or another physical activity...
- Revision surgery for exertional anterior compartment syndrome of the lower leg: technique, findings, and resultsAnthony A Schepsis
Boston University Medical Center, 720 Harrison Avenue, No 808, Boston, MA 02118, USA
Am J Sports Med 33:1040-7. 2005Recurrent symptoms or failure after fasciotomy for exertional anterior compartment syndrome is not uncommon.
- Treatment outcome of extensor realignment for patellofemoral dysfunctionIan Henderson
Orthopaedic Research Department, St Vincent s and Mercy Private Hospital, 166 Gipps Street, East Melbourne, Victoria 3002, Australia
Knee 12:323-8. 2005..8%) of the patellofemoral joints examined. Complications noted included anterior compartment syndrome with foot drop in one case and arthrofibrosis in another...
- Treatment of compartment syndrome: transverse fasciotomy as an adjunct to longitudinal dermatofasciotomy: an in vitro studyAndelle L Teng
Department of Orthopaedics, Case Western Reserve University, University Hospitals of Cleveland, MetroHealth Medical Center, Cleveland, OH, USA
J Orthop Trauma 19:442-7. 2005....
- Compartment syndrome: the importance of early diagnosisCarolyn Middleton
Acute Pain Service, Nevill Hall Hospital, Gwent Healthcare NHS Trust
Nurs Times 99:30-2. 2003..Necrosis of muscle, nerve and skin tissue may result owing to oxygen deprivation. Early detection and appropriate treatment are essential if irreversible damage is to be avoided...
- Anterior tibial compartment syndrome due to the pyomyositis in a patient with rheumatoid arthritis. A case reportOsman Aynaci
Karadeniz Technical University, Department of Orthopaedic Surgery, Trabzon 61080, Turkey
Joint Bone Spine 70:77-9. 2003..The patient has been asymptomatic for 4 years of follow-up. To date, anterior tibial compartment syndrome due to pyomyositis in a case with rheumatoid arthritis has not been reported...
- [Chronic compartment syndrome in the lower leg]T Bloch
H S Hvidovre Hospital, ortopaedkirurgisk afdeling
Ugeskr Laeger 161:4503-6. 1999..The incidence of CCS is uncertain. Diagnosis can be established by measuring the ICP before and after relevant physical activity. Treatment is either restriction in activity or fasciotomy, which in most cases is curative...
- Distal anterior compartment myopathy: a dysferlin mutation causing a new muscular dystrophy phenotypeI Illa
Department of Neurology, Hospital Santa Creu i Sant Pau, Universitat Autonoma de Barcelona, Spain
Ann Neurol 49:130-4. 2001..Dysferlin immunostaining was negative. Gene analysis revealed a frameshift mutation in the exon 50 (delG5966) of the DYSF gene. This phenotype further demonstrates the clinical heterogeneity of the dysferlinopathies...
- [Acute compartment syndrome. Results of a clinico-experimental study of pressure and time limits for emergency fasciotomy]C Willy
Departement Chirurgie, Klinik für Unfallchirurgie, Universitatsspital Zurich
Unfallchirurg 104:381-91. 2001..It was thus the aim of the present study to analyze oxygen partial pressure of the anterior tibial muscle and peroneal action potential in a model compartment syndrome in man...
- [Anterior compartment syndrome of the forearm caused by exercise: unusual cause of recurrent episodes of acute effort rhabdomyolysis]A Drouet
Service de Neurologie, HIA Desgenettes, 108, boulevard Pinel, 69275 Lyon, France
Rev Med Interne 22:394-7. 2001....
- One-portal technique of endoscopic fasciotomy: Chronic compartment syndrome of the lower legI Kitajima
Department of Orthopedic Surgery, Toranomon Hospital, Tokyo, Japan
Arthroscopy 17:33. 2001..We report a case of CCS of the lower leg treated with 1-portal endoscopic fasciotomy. The technique helps to decrease damage to soft tissue and patients will immediately return to normal activities of daily living...
- Compartment syndrome of the well leg as a result of the hemilithotomy position: a report of two cases and review of literatureP V Mathews
Division of Orthopaedic Surgery, John A. Burns School of Medicine, University of Hawaii, 1356 Lusitana Street, Honolulu, HI 96813
J Orthop Trauma 15:580-3. 2001..The authors report two cases of unilateral compartment syndrome in a well leg during femoral nailing of the contralateral leg. Risk factors, theories of pathogenesis, and preventive measures are identified and discussed...
- Compartment syndrome without pain!M J O'Sullivan
Department of General Surgery, Cork University Hospital, Ireland
Ir Med J 95:22. 2002..This ultimately resulted in a below-knee amputation of the patient's leg. We caution against the use of patient controlled analgesia in any traumatised limb distal to the hip or the shoulder...
- Acute compartment syndrome of the leg following diagnostic electromyographyChristopher M Farrell
Department of Orthopedic Surgery, Mayo Clinic, 200 First Street SW, Rochester, Minnesota 55905, USA
Muscle Nerve 27:374-7. 2003..We report the case of a 73-year-old man who developed an acute compartment syndrome of the leg after diagnostic electromyography. Potential causes and treatment are discussed...
- Staged management of high-energy proximal tibia fractures (OTA types 41): the results of a prospective, standardized protocolKenneth A Egol
Department of Orthopaedic Surgery, NYU Hospital for Joint Diseases, New York, NY, USA
J Orthop Trauma 19:448-55; discussion 456. 2005....
- Normal leg compartment pressures in adult Nigerians using the Whitesides methodJohnson D Ogunlusi
Department of Orthopaedics and Traumatology, Obafemi Awolowo University, Teaching Hospitals Complex, Ile Ife, Osun State, Nigeria
Iowa Orthop J 25:200-2. 2005..4 +/- 2.7 mmHg. The values are similar to those reported in the literature. There was no statistically significant difference between the pressures in the two compartments (p = 0.668)...
- Acute compartment syndrome following intramedullary pulse lavage and débridement for osteomyelitis of the tibiaS Lauber
Department of Orthopaedics, Muenster University Hospital, Albert Schweitzer Str 33, 48149 Munster, Germany
Arch Orthop Trauma Surg 125:564-6. 2005....
- A technique for arthroscopic fasciotomy for the chronic exertional tibialis anterior compartment syndromeAhmet Sebik
Orthopaedics and Trauma Department, School of Medicine, Yuzuncu Yil University, Kazim Karabekir Cad, 65100 Van, Turkey
Knee Surg Sports Traumatol Arthrosc 16:531-4. 2008Chronic exertional anterior compartment syndrome (CECS) is a condition that causes pain over the front of the shin bone that usually occurs in physically active people, especially runners. It may require sometimes an immediate fasciotomy...