Summary: Inflammation of a bursa, occasionally accompanied by a calcific deposit in the underlying supraspinatus tendon. The most common site is the subdeltoid bursa. (Dorland, 27th ed)
Publications230 found, 100 shown here
- Imaging in shoulder disordersE G McNally
Department of Radiology, Nuffield Orthopaedic Centre, Old Road, Headington, Oxford, OX3 7LD, UK
Skeletal Radiol 36:1013-6. 2007....
- The prevalence of a diabetic condition and adhesive capsulitis of the shoulderConnie B Tighe
Orthopaedic and Joint Replacement Center, Pinehurst Surgical, PA, Pinehurst, NC, USA
South Med J 101:591-5. 2008..It affects about 20% of people with diabetes and has been described as the most disabling of the common musculoskeletal manifestations of diabetes...
- Short course prednisolone for adhesive capsulitis (frozen shoulder or stiff painful shoulder): a randomised, double blind, placebo controlled trialR Buchbinder
Monash Department of Clinical Epidemiology, Cabrini Hospital, Melbourne, Australia
Ann Rheum Dis 63:1460-9. 2004..To determine whether a short course of prednisolone is superior to placebo for improving pain, function, and range of motion in adhesive capsulitis...
- Frozen shoulder: MR arthrographic findingsBernard Mengiardi
Department of Radiology, Orthopedic University Clinic Balgrist, Forchstrasse 340, Ch 8008 Zurich, Switzerland
Radiology 233:486-92. 2004..To evaluate the magnetic resonance (MR) arthrographic findings in patients with frozen shoulder...
- The pathology of frozen shoulderG C R Hand
Nuffield Orthopaedic Centre, Windmill Road, Headington, Oxford OX3 7LD, UK
J Bone Joint Surg Br 89:928-32. 2007..The pathology of frozen shoulder includes a chronic inflammatory response with fibroblastic proliferation which may be immunomodulated...
- Septic subacromial bursitis caused by Mycobacterium kansasii in an immunocompromised hostStephanie D Mathew
Department of Rheumatology, San Antonio Military Medical Center, 3851 Roger Brooke Drive, Fort Sam Houston, TX 78234, USA
Mil Med 177:617-20. 2012..We present the first case of M. kansasii subacromial septic bursitis in an immunocompromised host...
- Carpal bursitis associated with Brucella abortus in a horse in NigeriaR A Ocholi
Bacterial Research Department, National Veterinary Research Institute, Vom, Plateau State, Nigeria
Vet Rec 155:566-7. 2004
- Range of shoulder motion in patients with adhesive capsulitis; intra-tester reproducibility is acceptable for group comparisonsEinar Kristian Tveitå
Department of Physical Medicine and Rehabilitation, Ulleval University Hospital, University of Oslo, Norway
BMC Musculoskelet Disord 9:49. 2008..Measurements of range of motion play a key role in shoulder research. The purpose of this study is to investigate intra-observer reproducibility of measurements of active and passive range of motion in patients with adhesive capsulitis...
- Radiologic case study. Partial tear of the distal biceps tendon with mass-like bicipitoradial bursitis and associated hyperostosis of the radial tuberosityJeffrey R Bond
Department of Radiology, Mayo Clinic, Rochester, Minn 55905, USA
Orthopedics 26:376, 448-50. 2003
- Sonography of cubital bursitisCarolyn M Sofka
Department of Radiology and Imaging, Hospital for Special Surgery, 535 E 70th St, New York, NY 10021, USA
AJR Am J Roentgenol 183:51-3. 2004The purpose of our study was to describe the sonographic appearance of cubital bursitis in three patients and to illustrate the use of sonographic guidance for therapeutic injections.
- The clinical utility of ultrasonography for rotator cuff disease, shoulder impingement syndrome and subacromial bursitisMark S Awerbuch
Med J Aust 188:50-3. 2008..Rotator cuff disease, shoulder impingement syndrome and subacromial bursitis are among the most common diagnoses reported on shoulder ultrasonography...
- Bicipital radial bursitis: CT and MR appearanceT Yamamoto
Department of Orthopaedic Surgery, Kobe University School of Medicine, 7 5 1 Kusunoki cho, Chuo Ku, Kobe 650 0017, Japan
Comput Med Imaging Graph 25:531-3. 2001The authors present two cases of bicipital radial bursitis in the elbow. In these two cases, different CT and MR imaging patterns were observed. In the first case, postcontrast CT inhomogeneously enhanced the entire lesion...
- Celecoxib effectively treats patients with acute shoulder tendinitis/bursitisMichelle Petri
Department of Medicine Rheumatology, The Johns Hopkins University, Baltimore, Maryland 21287, USA
J Rheumatol 31:1614-20. 2004Shoulder tendinitis and subacromial bursitis are acute, painful inflammatory musculoskeletal conditions that may recur as a result of overuse...
- Rice-body formation in atypical mycobacterial tenosynovitis and bursitis: findings on sonography and MR imagingC L F Chau
Department of Radiology, Ground Floor, North District Hospital, New Territories East Cluster, Fanling, New Territories, Hong Kong
AJR Am J Roentgenol 180:1455-9. 2003This article describes rice bodies found in patients with atypical mycobacterial tenosynovitis and bursitis, emphasizing the sonographic and MR imaging appearances of these small bodies.
- Whole-body fluorodeoxyglucose positron emission tomography/computed tomography in patients with active polymyalgia rheumatica: evidence for distinctive bursitis and large-vessel vasculitisHiroyuki Yamashita
Division of Rheumatic Diseases, National Center for Global Health and Medicine, 1 21 1 Toyama, Shinjuku ku, Tokyo, Japan
Mod Rheumatol 22:705-11. 2012....
- Knee pain: osteoarthritis or anserine bursitis?Nallini Gnanadesigan
Jewish Home for the Aging, Reseda, CA 91335, USA
J Am Med Dir Assoc 4:164-6. 2003
- Efficacy of treatment of trochanteric bursitis: a systematic reviewDavid P Lustenberger
Department of Orthopaedic Surgery, The Ohio State University Sports Medicine Center, The Ohio State University, Columbus, Ohio 43221, USA
Clin J Sport Med 21:447-53. 2011Trochanteric bursitis (TB) is a self-limiting disorder in the majority of patients and typically responds to conservative measures...
- Ultrasonographic evaluation of pes anserinus tendino-bursitis in patients with type 2 diabetes mellitusZeliha Unlu
Department of Physical Medicine and Rehabilitation, Celal Bayar University, Medical Faculty, Manisa, Turkey
J Rheumatol 30:352-4. 2003..US) findings in patients with type 2 diabetes mellitus (DM) with and without pes anserinus (PA) tendinitis or bursitis syndrome; and to determine possible etiologic factors such as systemic diabetic microvascular disease ..
- Scintigraphy of cubital bursitisSiri Kannangara
Department of Rheumatology, Concord Hospital, Sydney, Australia
Clin Nucl Med 27:348-50. 2002..This is a rare condition, with only a handful of cases described in the literature. This is the first scintigraphic case reported. The imaging features of the bursa are discussed in terms of the anatomy...
- Shoulder distension arthrography in adhesive capsulitisNicolas Amoretti
Service d Imagerie Medicale, Centre Hospitalier Universitaire de Nice, Hôpital L Archet 2, 151 route de Saint Antoine de Ginestiere, BP 3079, Nice Cedex 3, F 06292 Nice, France
Clin Imaging 30:254-6. 2006..We report on our technique, which was performed on a series of 200 patients, and on the results observed in 27 patients with a precise evaluation of progressive changes in movements of the joint...
- F-18 FDG PET/CT incidental finding of large ischiogluteal bursitisBa Duong Nguyen
Department of Radiology, Mayo Clinic Scottsdale, Scottsdale, AZ 85259, USA
Clin Nucl Med 32:535-7. 2007
- Frozen shoulder: the effectiveness of conservative and surgical interventions--systematic reviewM M Favejee
Department of Rehabilitation Medicine, Erasmus University Medical Center, Rotterdam, The Netherlands
Br J Sports Med 45:49-56. 2011..A variety of therapeutic interventions is available for restoring motion and diminishing pain in patients with frozen shoulder. An overview article concerning the evidence for the effectiveness of these interventions is lacking...
- Adhesive capsulitis of the shoulder: diagnosis using magnetic resonance arthrography, with arthroscopic findings as the standardMin Hee Lee
Department of Radiology, Samsung Medical Center, Sungkyunkwan University School of Medicine, Kangnam Gu, Seoul, Korea
J Comput Assist Tomogr 27:901-6. 2003..The purpose of this study was to assess the usefulness of magnetic resonance (MR) arthrography of the glenohumeral joint in the diagnosis of adhesive capsulitis...
- Rheumatic manifestations of diabetes mellitusDorota Lebiedz-Odrobina
Rheumatology Division, Department of Medicine, University of Massachusetts School of Medicine, 55 Lake Avenue North, Worcester, MA 01655, USA
Rheum Dis Clin North Am 36:681-99. 2010..Identification of such molecular targets for therapy would promote the development of additional treatments for these and other rheumatic diseases...
- Appearance of the weight-bearing lateral radiograph in retrocalcaneal bursitisMaayke N van Sterkenburg
Department of Orthopaedic Surgery, Academic Medical Center, University of Amsterdam, The Netherlands
Acta Orthop 81:387-90. 2010A retrocalcaneal bursitis is caused by repetitive impingement of the bursa between the Achilles tendon and the posterosuperior calcaneus...
- Adhesive capsulitis of the shoulder: evaluation with MR arthrographyJoon Yong Jung
Department of Radiology, Kangnam St Mary s Hospital, The Catholic University of Korea, Seoul, South Korea
Eur Radiol 16:791-6. 2006..The presence of abnormal tissue in the rotator interval showed high sensitivity but rather low specificity...
- Bursitis due to Mycobacterium goodii, a recently described, rapidly growing mycobacteriumN D Friedman
Division of Infectious Diseases, Duke University Medical Center, Durham, North Carolina 27710, USA
J Clin Microbiol 39:404-5. 2001We report a case of olecranon bursitis due to Mycobacterium goodii in a 60-year-old man. Prior to recognition of his infection, he received intrabursal steroids and underwent olecranon bursectomy...
- Utility of MR arthrography in the diagnosis of adhesive capsulitisG L Manton
Department of Radiology, Thomas Jefferson University Hospital, Philadelphia, PA 19107, USA
Skeletal Radiol 30:326-30. 2001..Capsular/synovial thickness, static fluid volume, and the presence of corrugation are inconclusive as MR arthrographic signs for distinguishing shoulders with adhesive capsulitis from those without...
- Sonographically guided therapeutic injection for primary medial (tibial) collateral bursitisJean Jose
Department of Radiology, University of Miami Miller School of Medicine, Miami, Florida, USA
J Ultrasound Med 30:257-61. 2011..Distention of the bursa is the determining factor for a successful injection. Sonography allows confirmation of correct injection placement, resulting in increased accuracy and more successful patient outcomes...
- Surgery for retrocalcaneal bursitis: a tendon-splitting versus a lateral approachJohn A Anderson
Department of Foot and Ankle Surgery, Hospital for Special Surgery, 523 East 72nd Street, New York, NY 10021, USA
Clin Orthop Relat Res 466:1678-82. 2008For patients with refractory retrocalcaneal bursitis (Haglund's syndrome), the most effective surgical approach has not been defined...
- The anatomy, pathology, and definitive treatment of rotator interval lesions: current conceptsMichael J Fitzpatrick
Arthroscopy 19:70-9. 2003
- Endoscopic bursectomy for the treatment of septic pre-patellar bursitis: a case seriesJohn P Dillon
Ballarat Base Hospital, Drummond Street North, Ballarat, VIC 3350, Australia
Arch Orthop Trauma Surg 132:921-5. 2012Operative treatment for septic pre-patellar bursitis generally involves open debridement in addition to an extended course of intravenous antibiotics...
- The molecular pathophysiology of subacromial bursitis in rotator cuff diseaseTheodore A Blaine
Center for Orthopaedic Research, Columbia University College of Physicians and Surgeons, 622 W 168th Street, PH 1120, New York, NY 10032, USA
J Shoulder Elbow Surg 14:84S-89S. 2005Little information exists on the molecular and biochemical pathophysiology of subacromial bursitis and rotator cuff disease...
- Arthroscopic bursectomy for recalcitrant trochanteric bursitisChamp L Baker
The Hughston Clinic, Columbus, Georgia 31909, USA
Arthroscopy 23:827-32. 2007The purpose of this prospective study was to evaluate the arthroscopic treatment of trochanteric bursitis in patients who have not responded to nonoperative treatment.
- Increased risk of stroke after adhesive capsulitis: a population-based studyJiunn Horng Kang
Department of Physical Medicine and Rehabilitation and Neuroscience Research Center, Taipei Medical University Hospital, Taipei, Taiwan
Stroke 41:1044-7. 2010..No previous study has described the association between stroke and previous adhesive capsulitis (AC). This study aims to investigate the risk of stroke after AC with a population-based database...
- Clinics in diagnostic imaging (77). Pes anserine bursitisW L Koh
Department of Diagnostic Radiology, Singapore General Hospital
Singapore Med J 43:485-91. 2002..The diagnosis of pes anserine bursitis was made, based on typical MR imaging features...
- Rapidly developed huge bursitis associated with scapular osteochondroma of the multiple exostosis: a case reportWan Hee Yoo
Department of Rheumatology, Chonbuk National University, Medical School, Jeonju, South Korea
Rheumatol Int 29:317-9. 2009..Here, we first described a patient with multiple hereditary exostosis who had developed huge bursitis on chest wall around the osteochondroma arising from the anterior surface of the right scapula after dumbbell ..
- The MRI appearance of cystic lesions around the kneeCatherine L McCarthy
Department of Radiology, Nuffield Orthopaedic Centre, Windmill Road, Headington, Oxford, OX3 7LD, UK
Skeletal Radiol 33:187-209. 2004..This will prevent unnecessary additional investigations and determine whether intra-articular surgery or conservative management is appropriate...
- Enlarged psoas muscle and iliopsoas bursitis associated with a rapidly destructive hip in a patient with rheumatoid arthritisTakumi Matsumoto
Department of Orthopaedic Surgery, National Hospital Organization, Sagamihara National Hospital, 18 1 Sakuradai, Sagamihara 228 0815, Japan
Mod Rheumatol 16:52-4. 2006A 39-year-old man with rheumatoid arthritis developed femoral neuropathy secondary to iliopsoas bursitis. The adjacent hip joint was severely damaged...
- Stromal cell-derived factor 1 (SDF-1, CXCL12) is increased in subacromial bursitis and downregulated by steroid and nonsteroidal anti-inflammatory agentsYang Soo Kim
Center for Orthopaedic Research and Columbia University Center for Shoulder, Elbow, and Sports Medicine, Columbia University, New York, NY, USA
J Orthop Res 24:1756-64. 2006..Twenty-two subacromial bursa tissues (18 bursitis and 4 normal bursa) were obtained intraoperatively from patients during shoulder surgery and analyzed using the ..
- Magnetic resonance imaging findings in idiopathic adhesive capsulitis of the shoulderY Carrillon
Radiology Department, Lyon South Teaching Hospital Center, Pierre Benite, France
Rev Rhum Engl Ed 66:201-6. 1999..To describe magnetic resonance imaging findings in idiopathic adhesive capsulitis of the shoulder...
- MRI features of cystic lesions around the kneeMonica D Marra
Department of Radiology, Boston University Medical Center, FGH Building, 3rd Floor, 820 Harrison Ave, Boston, MA 02118, United States
Knee 15:423-38. 2008..Clinicians must be aware about the MRI features and the differential diagnosis of cystic lesions around the knee to avoid misdiagnosis...
- Periarticular lesions detected on magnetic resonance imaging: prevalence in knees with and without symptomsCatherine L Hill
Boston Medical Center, Boston, Massachusetts, USA
Arthritis Rheum 48:2836-44. 2003..To evaluate, using magnetic resonance imaging (MRI), the prevalence of periarticular lesions in older persons with or without knee pain, and to assess the association of these lesions with knee pain...
- The role of arthroscopic bursectomy in the treatment of trochanteric bursitisJonathan L Fox
Orthopaedic Center and Sports Medicine, Northfield, New Jersey 08225, USA
Arthroscopy 18:E34. 2002The use of arthroscopy to treat recalcitrant trochanteric bursitis is reported and its role in treating this common clinical entity is discussed. During a 7-year period, 27 patients underwent this procedure...
- [Endoscopic bursa shaving in acute bursitis]P Nussbaumer
Swiss Surg 7:121-5. 2001OBJECTIVES: After resection of olecranon or prepatellar bursa for bursitis there can be long-term skin complications in up to 20%. We wanted to determine the outcome after endoscopic resection, a technique first described in 1990...
- Immunolocalization of cytokines and their receptors in adhesive capsulitis of the shoulderS A Rodeo
Laboratory for Soft Tissue Research, Hospital for Special Surgery, New York, NY 10021, USA
J Orthop Res 15:427-36. 1997..Understanding the basic pathophysiology of adhesive capsulitis is an important step in the development of clinically useful antifibrotic agents that may serve as novel treatments for patients with this conditions...
- Adhesive capsulitis: a review of current treatmentAndrew S Neviaser
Hospital for Special Surgery, 535 East 70th Street, New York, NY 10021, USA
Am J Sports Med 38:2346-56. 2010..Recognition that the clinical stages reflect a progression in the underlying pathological changes should guide future treatments...
- Arthroscopic bursectomy with concomitant iliotibial band release for the treatment of recalcitrant trochanteric bursitisDerek Farr
Doctors Hospital, Orthopedic Institute of South Florida, Coral Gables, Florida 33146, USA
Arthroscopy 23:905.e1-5. 2007Trochanteric bursitis with lateral hip pain is a commonly encountered orthopaedic condition...
- Giant iliopsoas bursitis: sonographic findings with magnetic resonance correlationsStefano Bianchi
Departement de Radiologie, Division de Radiodiagnostic et de Radiologie Interventionnelle, Hopital Cantonal Universitaire de Geneve, Rue Micheli du Crest 24, CH 1211 Geneva 14, Switzerland
J Clin Ultrasound 30:437-41. 2002..Giant iliopsoas bursitis secondary to hip involvement in rheumatoid arthritis was diagnosed on the basis of the sonographic findings...
- Ultrasound in adhesive capsulitis of the shoulder: is assessment of the coracohumeral ligament a valuable diagnostic tool?Carlos Homsi
Diagnostic Imaging Division, Hospital Alemao Oswaldo Cruz, Rua João Julião 331, Paraíso 01323 903, Sao Paulo SP, Brazil
Skeletal Radiol 35:673-8. 2006..To determine the accessibility of the coracohumeral ligament (CHL) by ultrasound (US) and to determine CHL thickness in adhesive capsulitis of the shoulder...
- The MRI features and treatment of scapulothoracic bursitis: report of four casesOgura Ken
Department of Orthopaedic Surgery, Tohoku University School of Medicine, 1 1 Seiryomachi, Aobaku, Sendai, Japan
Ups J Med Sci 109:57-64. 2004..cases of soft tissue tumours arising between the inferior angle of the scapula and thoracic wall, scapulothoracic bursitis has rarely been reported...
- Iliopsoas bursitis-associated femoral neuropathy exacerbated after internal fixation of an intertrochanteric hip fracture in rheumatoid arthritis: a case reportAsami Tokita
Department of Orthopaedic Surgery, Institute of Rheumatology, Tokyo Women s Medical University, 10 22 Kawada, Shinjuku, Tokyo 162 0054, Japan
Mod Rheumatol 18:394-8. 2008..present the case of a 63-year-old woman with a six-year history of rheumatoid arthritis (RA) and a left iliopsoas bursitis. Radiography had detected destructive changes in her hip joint associated with her bursitis, and she had reported ..
- Pigmented villonodular bursitis/diffuse giant cell tumor of the pes anserine bursa: a report of two cases and review of literatureAditya V Maheshwari
Division of Musculoskeletal Oncology, Department of Orthopedics, Miller School of Medicine, University of Miami, Miami, FL 33136, USA
Knee 14:402-7. 2007..rare cases of extra-articular pigmented villonodular synovitis arising from the bursa (pigmented villonodular bursitis or diffuse giant cell tumor of the tendon sheath)...
- Tumors masked as frozen shoulders: a retrospective analysisHirotaka Sano
Department of Orthopaedic Surgery, Tohoku University School of Medicine, Sendai, Japan
J Shoulder Elbow Surg 19:262-6. 2010....
- Ultrasound-guided shoulder injections in the treatment of subacromial bursitisMax J L Chen
Department of Physical Medicine and Rehabilitation, Chang Gung Memorial Hospital, Taiwan
Am J Phys Med Rehabil 85:31-5. 2006To investigate the treatment effectiveness between ultrasound-guided and blind injection techniques in the treatment of subacromial bursitis.
- Long-term outcome of frozen shoulderCampbell Hand
Nuffield Department of Orthopaedic Surgery, Nuffield Orthopaedic Centre, Oxford, United Kingdom
J Shoulder Elbow Surg 17:231-6. 2008..Only 6% had severe symptoms with pain and functional loss. Those with the most severe symptoms at condition onset had the worst long-term prognosis, P < .001...
- MRI characteristics of olecranon bursitisFrank Floemer
Universitätsinstitut für Radiologie, Universitatsspital Basel, Petersgraben 4, Basel 4031, Switzerland
AJR Am J Roentgenol 183:29-34. 2004Our aim was to describe the MRI characteristics of septic and nonseptic olecranon bursitis.
- Clinical inquiries. How should you treat trochanteric bursitis?Mark Rowand
Moses Cone Family Medicine Residency Program, Greensboro, NC, USA
J Fam Pract 58:494-500. 2009..In rare cases of intractable symptoms, surgical procedures such as iliotibial band release, subgluteal bursectomy, and trochanteric reduction osteotomy are options...
- Endoscopic bony and soft-tissue decompression of the retrocalcaneal space for the treatment of Haglund deformity and retrocalcaneal bursitisFred W Ortmann
Orthopaedics, University of South Carolina, 2 Medical Park, Suite 404, Columbia, SC 2203, USA
Foot Ankle Int 28:149-53. 2007The traditional operative management of Haglund deformity and retrocalcaneal bursitis consists of an open excision of the inflamed bursa, resection of the posterosuperior calcaneal tuberosity, and debridement of the Achilles tendinopathy...
- Mineralized fibroma of the tendon sheath presenting as a bursitisThomas Le Corroller
Service de Radiologie, Hopital Sainte Marguerite, 270 Boulevard de Sainte Marguerite, 13009, Marseille, France
Skeletal Radiol 37:1141-5. 2008..a fibroma of the tendon sheath with mineralized chondroid and osseous metaplasia, presenting as a semimembranosus bursitis. The anatomical characteristics of the semimembranosus bursa are demonstrated by dissection in a cadaveric ..
- 'Bald trochanter' spontaneous rupture of the conjoined tendons of the gluteus medius and minimus presenting as a trochanteric bursitisMyron M Laban
Department of Physical Medicine and Rehabilitation, William Beaumont Hospital, Royal Oak, Michigan 48073, USA
Am J Phys Med Rehabil 83:806-9. 2004..Subsequent magnetic resonance imaging demonstrated a trochanteric bursitis and an effusion of the hip and a full-thickness tear of the gluteus medius muscle, with both a disruption and ..
- Adhesive capsulitis: role of MR imaging in differential diagnosisDavid Connell
Department of MRI, St Frances Xavier Cabrini Hospital, 183 Wattletree Road, Malvern, Victoria 3144, Australia
Eur Radiol 12:2100-6. 2002..Magnetic resonance imaging can identify changes in the shoulder joint that correspond to abnormalities seen at surgery. This may be useful for discriminating adhesive capsulitis from other causes of shoulder pain...
- A cross-sectional study of the prevalence and associated risk factors for capped hock and the associations with bursitis in weaner, grower and finisher pigs from 93 commercial farms in EnglandA L Kilbride
Ecology and Epidemiology Group, Department of Biological Sciences, University of Warwick, Coventry, United Kingdom
Prev Vet Med 83:272-84. 2008..This did not vary significantly between these four floor types. This was in contrast to the associated risks for bursitis in the same pigs, where as the floor went from highly resilient (straw and solid floors) to hard and perforated (..
- Manipulation and arthroscopy under general anesthesia and early rehabilitative treatment for frozen shouldersGianluca Castellarin
Department of Orthopedic Surgery Castellarin, Ricci, Vecchini, Sembenini, Marangon, University of Verona, Verona, Italy
Arch Phys Med Rehabil 85:1236-40. 2004..To evaluate the efficacy of manipulation followed by arthroscopic release of the glenohumeral joint in conjunction with an immediate and intensive rehabilitation program...
- Adhesive capsulitis of the shoulder: the rate of manipulation following distension arthrogramT Ibrahim
Department of Orthopaedic Surgery, University Hospitals of Leicester NHS Trust, Glenfield Hospital, Leicester, UK
Rheumatol Int 27:7-9. 2006..Distension arthrogram can be used as a therapeutic procedure for achieving symptomatic pain relief in the majority of adhesive capsulitis and decrease the rate of MUA of the shoulder...
- The use of occupation-based treatment with a person who has shoulder adhesive capsulitis: a case reportDonald Earley
Saginaw Valley State University, 7400 Bay Road, University Center, Michigan 48710, USA
Am J Occup Ther 60:397-403. 2006..As illustrated by the case report, occupation-based treatment that was provided in a timely manner immediately decreased pain, improved range and quality of motion, and enhanced occupational performance...
- Surgical correction of Haglund's triad using complete detachment and reattachment of the Achilles tendonJ George DeVries
Wheaton Franciscan Healthcare, Wauwatosa, WI 53226, USA
J Foot Ankle Surg 48:447-51. 2009..presentation of the following clinical entities: Achilles tendinosis, Haglund's deformity, and retrocalcaneal bursitis. In this retrospective study, we review outcomes following the surgical treatment of Haglund's triad by means of ..
- Functional outcome and general health status in patients after arthroscopic release in adhesive capsulitisM H Baums
Department of Orthopaedic Surgery, Georg August University of Gottingen, Robert Koch Str 40, 37075, Gottingen, Germany
Knee Surg Sports Traumatol Arthrosc 15:638-44. 2007..We recommend the use of a limb-specific and a general-health-status questionnaire to conclude the benefit of the surgical intervention and contribute the optimization of a therapy concept more effectively...
- Manipulation under anaesthesia and early physiotherapy facilitate recovery of patients with frozen shoulder syndromeC Y Ng
Department of Orthopaedics, Queen Margaret Hospital, Dunfermline KY12 0SU
Scott Med J 54:29-31. 2009..The aim of this study was to examine the efficacy of manipulation under anaesthesia (MUA) followed by early physiotherapy in treating frozen shoulder syndrome...
- Comparison of high-grade and low-grade mobilization techniques in the management of adhesive capsulitis of the shoulder: randomized controlled trialHenricus M Vermeulen
Department of Physical Therapy, Leiden University Medical Center, PO Box 9600, 2300 RC Leiden, The Netherlands
Phys Ther 86:355-68. 2006..The purpose of this study was to compare the effectiveness of high-grade mobilization techniques (HGMT) with that of low-grade mobilization techniques (LGMT) in subjects with adhesive capsulitis of the shoulder...
- Continuous passive motion provides good pain control in patients with adhesive capsulitisUmit Dundar
Department of Physical Medicine and Rehabilitation, Kocatepe University, Faculty of Medicine, Afyonkarahisar, Turkey
Int J Rehabil Res 32:193-8. 2009..CPM treatment provides better response in pain reduction than the conventional physiotherapy treatment protocol in the early phase of treatment in adhesive capsulitis...
- The functional anatomy of Kager's fat pad in relation to retrocalcaneal problems and other hindfoot disordersP Theobald
Institute of Medical Engineering and Medical Physics, Cardiff University, UK
J Anat 208:91-7. 2006..All three regions contribute to reducing the risk of tendon kinking and each may be implicated in heel pain syndromes...
- Corticosteroid injections for trochanteric bursitis: is fluoroscopy necessary? A pilot studyS P Cohen
Pain Management Center, Department of Anesthesiology, Johns Hopkins Medical Institutions, Baltimore, Maryland, USA
Br J Anaesth 94:100-6. 2005..Although trochanteric bursa injections are commonly performed to treat hip pain, they have never been described using fluoroscopy...
- [Diagnostics of the retrocalcaneal bursitis: possibilities of the use of new anatomical data]D Kachlik
Ustav anatomie 3 LF UK, Praha
Rozhl Chir 87:128-34. 2008..The authors recommend the use of presented new anatomical data for the improvement in differential diagnostic of the wide spectrum of achillar enthesopathies...
- Non-infectious ischiogluteal bursitis: MRI findingsKil Ho Cho
Department of Diagnositic Radiology, Yeungnam University College of Medicine, Nam Gu, Daegu, Korea
Korean J Radiol 5:280-6. 2004We wished to report on the MRI findings of non-infectious ischiogluteal bursitis.
- A randomized controlled trial of intra-articular triamcinolone and/or physiotherapy in shoulder capsulitisI Ryans
Rheumatology Department, The Ulster Hospital, Dundonald, Belfast, UK
Rheumatology (Oxford) 44:529-35. 2005..To assess the effectiveness of intra-articular triamcinolone injection and physiotherapy singly or combined in the treatment of adhesive capsulitis of the shoulder...
- Idiopathic adhesive capsulitis: long-term results of conservative treatmentIsrael Dudkiewicz
Department of Orthopedic Rehabilitation, Sheba Medical Center, Tel Hashomer, Israel
Isr Med Assoc J 6:524-6. 2004..Several treatment methods for adhesive capsulitis have been reported in the literature, none of which has proven superior to others...
- Cervical interspinous bursitis in active polymyalgia rheumaticaC Salvarani
Divisione di Reumatologia, Arcispedale S Maria Nuova, Reggio Emilia, Italy
Ann Rheum Dis 67:758-61. 2008..To evaluate the inflammatory involvement of cervical interspinous bursae in patients with polymyalgia rheumatica (PMR) using MRI...
- Pes anserine bursitis: incidence in symptomatic knees and clinical presentationW J Rennie
The Department of Radiology, Royal National Orthopaedic Hospital NHS Trust, Brockley Hill, Stanmore, Middlesex, HA6 4LP, UK
Skeletal Radiol 34:395-8. 2005To determine the prevalence and associated clinical symptoms of pes anserine bursitis in symptomatic adult knees.
- Magnetic resonance imaging of shoulders with idiopathic adhesive capsulitis: reliability of measuresMarie Martine Lefevre-Colau
Department of Physical and Rehabilitation Medicine, Hopital Cochin AP HP, Universite Rene Descartes, 75014, Paris, France
Eur Radiol 15:2415-22. 2005..80 for the sagittal plane. MRI with IV Gd-chelate injection can show, with acceptable reliability, signal and thickness abnormalities of the shoulder joint capsule and synovial membrane in AC...
- Manipulation for frozen shoulder: long-term resultsChristopher M Farrell
Mayo Clinic, Rochester, MN 55905, USA
J Shoulder Elbow Surg 14:480-4. 2005..Treatment of idiopathic frozen shoulder by manipulation under anesthesia leads to sustained improvement in shoulder motion and function at a mean of 15 years after the procedure...
- Effectiveness of physical therapy for patients with adhesive capsulitis: a randomized controlled trialKingkaew Pajareya
Department of Rehabilitation Medicine, Faculty of Medicine Siriraj Hospital, Mahidol University, Bangkok, Thailand
J Med Assoc Thai 87:473-80. 2004..To compare the effectiveness of a combined technique of physical and ibuprofen for the treatment of adhesive capsulitis with ibuprofen alone...
- Manipulation under anaesthesia for the treatment of frozen shoulderT A Hamdan
Department of Surgery, Basrah Medical College, University of Basrah, Iraq
Int Orthop 27:107-9. 2003..The manipulative procedure combined with injection of normal saline was safe and effective, and all materials required are readily available and inexpensive...
- Effectiveness of hydroplasty and therapeutic exercise for treatment of frozen shoulderNancy Callinan
Park Nicollet Hand Center, St Louis Park, Minnesota 55426, USA
J Hand Ther 16:219-24. 2003..At discharge, only two (3%) of the subjects reported persistent pain during sleep. The hydroplasty procedure combined with a therapy program is a successful treatment for idiopathic frozen shoulder...
- Arthroscopic release of adhesive capsulitisBart M Berghs
Princess Elizabeth Orthopaedic Centre, Royal Devon and Exeter Hospital, Barrack Road, Exeter EX2 5DW, Devon, UK
J Shoulder Elbow Surg 13:180-5. 2004..It is founded upon an understanding of the pathology of this condition. It appears to yield rapid relief of pain and dramatic improvement in movement and function in this painful and otherwise protracted condition...
- Comparison of results of retrocalcaneal decompression for retrocalcaneal bursitis and insertional achilles tendinosis with calcific spurA D Watson
Department of Orthopaedic Surgery, Allegheny General Hospital, Pittsburgh, PA 15212, USA
Foot Ankle Int 21:638-42. 2000Sixteen feet with retrocalcaneal bursitis (RB) and twenty-two feet with calcific Achilles insertional tendinosis (IAT-CS) underwent retrocalcaneal decompression after failure of nonoperative treatment...
- Trochanteric reduction osteotomy as a treatment for refractory trochanteric bursitisL H M Govaert
Academical Medical Centre, Amsterdam and Ziekenhuis Hilversum, The Netherlands
J Bone Joint Surg Br 85:199-203. 2003We describe a new operative procedure for patients with chronic trochanteric bursitis. Between March 1994 and May 2000, a trochanteric reduction osteotomy was performed on ten patients (12 hips)...
- [The frozen shoulder. Arthroscopy, histological findings and transmission electron microscopy imaging]O Kilian
Chirurg 72:1303-8. 2001..CONCLUSION: In stage of the primary frozen shoulder exclusive fibrosis of the joint capsule was found. Electronmicroscopic twists of collagen fibrills were marked...
- Hydrodilatation in the management of shoulder capsulitisSimon Bell
Department of Surgery, Monash Medical Centre, Melbourne, Victoria, Australia
Australas Radiol 47:247-51. 2003..Technically, it is important to achieve maximum distension, preferably with capsular rupture, and to utilize cortisone in the fluid injected...
- Distinguishing multiple rice body formation in chronic subacromial-subdeltoid bursitis from synovial chondromatosisAlbert Chen
Department of Radiology, Mackay Memorial Hospital, No 92, Sec 2, Chung Shan N Road, Taipei 10449, Taiwan
Skeletal Radiol 31:119-21. 2002Multiple rice body formation is a complication of chronic bursitis. Although it resembles synovial chondromatosis clinically and on imaging, the literature suggests that analysis of radiographic and MR appearances should allow ..
- Effects of repeated distension arthrographies combined with a home exercise program among adults with idiopathic adhesive capsulitis of the shoulderFrance Piotte
Ecole de readaptation, Faculte de Medecine, Université de Montréal and Centre interdisciplinaire de recherche en réadaptation du Montréal métropolitain, Montreal, Quebec, Canada
Am J Phys Med Rehabil 83:537-46; quiz 547-9. 2004..The purpose of this study was to measure the effect of repeated distension arthrographies combined with a home exercise program on impairments and disability of the upper limb in subjects with adhesive capsulitis of the shoulder...
- Intraarticular corticosteroids, supervised physiotherapy, or a combination of the two in the treatment of adhesive capsulitis of the shoulder: a placebo-controlled trialSimon Carette
Toronto Western Hospital, University Health Network, Toronto, Ontario, Canada
Arthritis Rheum 48:829-38. 2003..To compare the efficacy of a single intraarticular corticosteroid injection, a supervised physiotherapy program, a combination of the two, and placebo in the treatment of adhesive capsulitis of the shoulder...
- Hydrodilatation, corticosteroids and adhesive capsulitis: a randomized controlled trialEinar Kristian Tveitå
Department of Physical Medicine and Rehabilitation, Ulleval University Hospital, Oslo, Norway
BMC Musculoskelet Disord 9:53. 2008..Procedures described often involve the injection of corticosteroids, to which the reported treatment effects may be attributed. Any important contribution arising from the hydrodilatation procedure itself remains to be demonstrated...
- Imaging features of iliopsoas bursitisP Wunderbaldinger
Department of Radiology, University of Vienna, Vienna, Austria
Eur Radiol 12:409-15. 2002The aim of this study was firstly to describe the spectrum of imaging findings seen in iliopsoas bursitis, and secondly to compare cross-sectional imaging techniques in the demonstration of the extent, size and appearance of the iliopsoas ..
- Imaging of semimembranosus bursitis: MR findings in three patients and anatomical studyN Demeyere
Department of Radiology, Vrije Universiteit Brussel, Brussel, Belgium
JBR-BTR 86:332-4. 2003We report on three patients with posteromedial knee pain related to semimembranosus bursitis. The semimembranosus bursa has a typical location and morphology around the central tendon of the semimembranosus muscle...
- Scapular osteochondroma with reactive bursitis presenting as a chest wall tumourM J Shackcloth
The Cardiothoracic Centre, Thomas Drive, L14 3PE, Liverpool, UK
Eur J Cardiothorac Surg 18:495-6. 2000..The mass and exostosis were resected resulting in complete resolution of symptoms. Histological examination showed the mass to be a reactive bursa, with no evidence of neoplasia...
- Musculoskeletal manifestations in patients with thyroid diseaseMehtap Cakir
Division of Endocrinology and Metabolism, Akdeniz University, School of Medicine, Antalya, Turkey
Clin Endocrinol (Oxf) 59:162-7. 2003..We have evaluated the prevalence of adhesive capsulitis, Dupuytren's contracture, trigger finger, limited joint mobility and carpal tunnel syndrome in a series of patients with various thyroid diseases and differing levels of function...
- The role of capsular distention in adhesive capsulitisVijay B Vad
Hospital for Special Surgery, Weill Medical College of Cornell University, New York, NY 10021, USA
Arch Phys Med Rehabil 84:1290-2. 2003..To explore the efficacy of capsular distension in the treatment of adhesive capsulitis of the shoulder joint...
- Ultrasound of the adult hipK H Cho
Department of Diagnostic Radiology, College of Medicine, Yeungnam University, Daegu, Korea
Semin Ultrasound CT MR 21:214-30. 2000..This includes joint effusion, arthritis, loose bodies, bursitis, pseudoaneurysm, muscle and tendon diseases, as well as tumor and tumor-like lesions such as hematoma, abscess, ..
- Carrageenan-induced subacromial bursitis caused changes in the rat's rotator cuffB Tillander
Department of Orthopaedics, University Hospital of Linkoping, Sweden
J Orthop Res 19:441-7. 2001..the histologic expression of the rat's supra- and infraspinatus tendons in carrageenan-induced subacromial bursitis. Thirty-two rats received subacromial injections with carrageenan (n = 28) or saline (n = 4)...
- Pes anserinus tendino-bursitis: what are we talking about?J Uson
Rheumatology Unit, Hospital Universitario La Paz, Madrid, Spain
Scand J Rheumatol 29:184-6. 2000..insersion (PA) and subcutaneous medial knee fat in patients clinically diagnosed of pes anserinus tendino-bursitis (PATB) syndrome...
- Muscle viscosity as a protective mechanism for absorbing mechanical shockArmen Sarvazyan; Fiscal Year: 2013..Monitoring muscle viscosity could help in anticipating joint diseases, such as tendonitis, bursitis and osteoarthritis and decreasing the probability of osteoporotic bone fracture...
- Treatment of SLE with ajulemic acid, a non-psychoactive cannabinoid derivativeMeggan Mackay; Fiscal Year: 2013DESCRIPTION (provided by applicant): Musculoskeletal symptoms, such as arthritis, tendonitis and bursitis, are very common in Systemic Lupus Erythematosus (SLE)...
- Genetic Polymorphisms in Rheumatoid ArthritisEric Matteson; Fiscal Year: 2004..The mentorship program proposed in this grant is critical to this long-term goal. ..
- BIOEFFECTS OF GAS BODY ACTIVATION IN MEDICAL ULTRASOUNDDouglas Miller; Fiscal Year: 2009..This project will examine bioeffects in cells and tissues and show how to safely use ultrasound contrast agents in diagnostic imaging. ..
- BIOEFFECTS OF GAS BODY ACTIVATION IN MEDICAL ULTRASOUNDDouglas Miller; Fiscal Year: 2001..abstract_text> ..
- ULTRASOUND ENHANCEMENT OF CANCER GENE THERAPYDouglas Miller; Fiscal Year: 2003..This research will provide a bridge from the basic research breakthrough to specific therapeutic applications and urgently needed clinical research programs utilizing this novel technology. ..
- ULTRASOUND ENHANCEMENT OF CANCER GENE THERAPYDouglas Miller; Fiscal Year: 2002..This research will provide a bridge from the basic research breakthrough to specific therapeutic applications and urgently needed clinical research programs utilizing this novel technology. ..
- ELECTROSTIMULATION FOR HEMIPLEGIAJohn Chae; Fiscal Year: 2004..EMG-controlled NIMES may also be effective for lower extremity motor and functional recovery. ..
- PREDICTING DEPRESSION OUTCOMES IN MEDICALLY ILL ELDERSHarold Koenig; Fiscal Year: 2003..It will also provide important information to both guide future clinical trials and identify barriers to effective treatment of depression in these patients. ..
- FES for foot-drop in hemiparesisJohn Chae; Fiscal Year: 2009..This proposed approach is expected to improve patient outcome and challenge the present clinical paradigm of prescribing AFOs for stroke survivors with foot-drop. ..
- ELECTROSTIMULATION FOR STROKE REHAB: EFFECTS & MECHANISMJohn Chae; Fiscal Year: 2002..Finally, techniques developed for assessing central motor function may be useful for evaluating other interventions directed at stroke rehabilitation. ..
- Electrical Stimulation for Hemiplegic Shoulder PainJohn Chae; Fiscal Year: 2010..We further postulate that ES improves glenohumeral stability by facilitating motor recovery. Thus we will evaluate the effects of these treatments on objective measures of poststroke motor recovery. ..
- The Interaction of Mechanical Load and Inflammation in Tendon-Bone HealingScott A Rodeo; Fiscal Year: 2010..The results of our studies will allow a scientific basis for the design of post- operative rehabilitation prescription. ..
- Electrical stimulation for upper limb recovery in strokeJohn Chae; Fiscal Year: 2008..2. Assess the effect of NMES on upper limb activity limitation. 3. Assess the effect of NMES on central motor processing. 4. Assess the effect of adding cognitive input during NMES therapy. ..