- Reconstruction of the mandible with osseous free flaps: a 10-year experience with 150 consecutive patients
P G Cordeiro
Plastic and Reconstructive Surgery Service, Memorial Sloan Kettering Cancer Center, New York, NY, USA
Plast Reconstr Surg 104:1314-20. 1999
..The ilium is recommended only when other options are unavailable. Thoughtful flap selection and design should supplant the need for multiple, simultaneous free flaps and vein grafting in most cases...
- Osteonecrosis of the jaws and bisphosphonate treatment in cancer patients
Department of Cranio Maxillofacial and Oral Surgery, Medical University of Vienna, Austria
Wien Klin Wochenschr 118:473-8. 2006
..In a retrospective study, patients with osteonecrosis of the jaws after bisphosphonate treatment were evaluated with regard to diagnostic investigations and therapeutic management...
- Osteoradionecrosis of the mandible: minimized risk profile following intensity-modulated radiation therapy (IMRT)
Department of Radiation Oncology, University Hospital, Zurich, Switzerland
Strahlenther Onkol 182:283-8. 2006
..The aim of this descriptive study was to assess absolute and relative bone volumes exposed to high IMRT doses, related to observed bone tolerance...
- Combined treatment of aggressive central giant cell granuloma in the lower jaw
Department of Oral and Maxillofacial Surgery, Rambam Medical Center, Haifa, Israel
J Craniomaxillofac Surg 40:292-7. 2012
..These include calcitonin injections and nasal spray, intralesional steroid injections and subcutaneous interferon injections...
- Intralesional corticosteroid injection for central giant cell granuloma: a case report and review of the literature
Department of Oral and Maxillofacial Surgery, Ege University Faculty of Dentistry, Izmir, Turkey
Turk J Pediatr 47:75-81. 2005
..In this article, an 1-year-old boy with a CGCG is successfully treated with corticosteroid injections and this treatment is discussed within a review of the literature...
- Paradigm shifts in the management of osteoradionecrosis of the mandible
Adam S Jacobson
Department of Otolaryngology Head and Neck Surgery, Beth Israel Medical Center, Albert Einstein College of Medicine, New York, NY 10003, USA
Oral Oncol 46:795-801. 2010
..Furthermore, the transfer of well-vascularized hard and soft tissue using microvascular surgery have brought the utility of HBO treatment in advanced ORN into question...
- Incidence and prevention of osteoradionecrosis after dental extraction in irradiated patients: a systematic review
Oral and Maxillofacial Surgery, Faculty of Dentistry, The University of Hong Kong, Hong Kong
Int J Oral Maxillofac Surg 40:229-43. 2011
..Based on weak evidence, prophylactic hyperbaric oxygen is effective in reducing the risk of developing osteoradionecrosis after post-radiation extractions...
- Management of a locally invasive central giant cell granuloma (CGCG) of mandible: report of an extraordinary large case
Department of Oral and Maxillofacial Surgery, School of Dentistry, Tehran University of Medical Sciences, Tehran, Iran
J Craniomaxillofac Surg 39:530-3. 2011
..The non-surgical treatment with corticosteroid therapy was difficult and unsuccessful. Surgical treatment was performed successfully and at 2-year follow-up showed no recurrence of the lesion...
- Comparison of the planimetry and point-counting methods for the assessment of the size of the mandible cysts on orthopantomograms
Ondokuz Mayis University, Faculty of Dentistry, Department of Oral and Maxillofacial Surgery, Samsun, Turkey
Med Oral Patol Oral Cir Bucal 17:e442-6. 2012
..The purpose of this study is to compare the computer-assisted planimetry and point-counting methods in evaluating the sizes of the mandibular cysts with respect to their agreement and the time required to analyze...
- Evaluation of the inferior alveolar canal for cysts and tumors of the mandible-comparison of multidetector computed tomography and 3-dimensional volume interpolated breath-hold examination magnetic resonance sequence with curved multiplanar reformatted re
Department of Radiodiagnosis, All India Institute of Medical Sciences, New Delhi, India
J Oral Maxillofac Surg 70:2327-32. 2012
..To evaluate the mandibular canal using volume interpolated breath-hold examination (VIBE) sequencing in patients with cysts and tumors of the mandible...
- Intralesional corticosteroid injection for treatment of central giant-cell granuloma
M C Adornato
Department of Oral and Maxillofacial Surgery, Nassau County Medical Center, 2201 Hempstead Turnpike, East Meadow, N Y 11554, USA
J Am Dent Assoc 132:186-90. 2001
..Central giant cell lesions present as unilocular or multilocular radiolucent defects on radiographs. Multinucleated giant cells within a collagenous stroma are the characteristic histopathologic feature of CGCG...
- Palatine and mandibular tori. A morphologic study in the current Norwegian population
L K Haugen
Department of Oral Surgery and Oral Medicine, Faculty of Dentistry, University of Oslo, Norway
Acta Odontol Scand 50:65-77. 1992
..The occurrence and propagation of torus mandibularis complies reasonably well with this model, and the present analysis indicates that even torus palatinus should appropriately be considered a threshold character...
- A clinical study of oral tori in southern Thailand: prevalence and the relation to parafunctional activity
Department of Stomatology, Faculty of Dentistry, Prince of Songkla University, Haadyai Songkla, Thailand
Eur J Oral Sci 107:9-13. 1999
..4 and 1:0.94, respectively. TP was, thus, more frequent in females. A strong association between clenching and grinding and the presence of TM was found. The presence of TM might be useful as a cue to look for signs of parafunction...
- Analysis of odontogenic cysts of the jaws
Kaunas University of Medicine, A Mickeviciaus 9, 44307 Kaunas, Lithuania
Medicina (Kaunas) 42:201-7. 2006
..The applied treatment of cysts was surgical--cystotomy or cystectomy...
- Repair of skin covering osteoradionecrosis of the mandible with the fasciocutaneous supraclavicular artery island flap: case report
Division of Cranio Maxillofacial Surgery, Department of Plastic and Cranio Maxillofacial Surgery, 15 Khordad Hospital, Shahid Beheshti University of Medical Sciences, Tehran, Iran
J Craniomaxillofac Surg 34:440-2. 2006
..Moreover, the donor site defect needs to be closed, with as little as possible functional or aesthetic impairment...
- Glandular odontogenic cyst presenting as a dentigerous cyst: a case report
Department of Oral and Maxillofacial Surgery, Faculty of Dentistry, Hacettepe University, Ankara, Turkey
J Oral Maxillofac Surg 64:731-3. 2006
- Glandular odontogenic cyst
Phuong Thao Tran
University of Florida College of Dentistry, Gainesville, USA
J Endod 30:182-4. 2004
..The GOC is a destructive lesion that can be easily misdiagnosed microscopically as a central mucoepidermoid carcinoma...
- Radiological features of glandular odontogenic cyst
Department of Oral and Maxillofacial Surgery, Rabin Medical Center, Petah Tikva, Sackler Faculty of Medicine, Tel Aviv University, Israel
Dentomaxillofac Radiol 32:73-9. 2003
..To present five new cases of glandular odontogenic cyst (GOC) and to review the radiological features at presentation as reported in the English literature...
- Aneurysmal bone cyst of the mandible: a case report
Department of Oral and Maxillofacial Surgery, Faculty of Dentistry, Mahidol University, Bangkok, Thailand
Int J Oral Maxillofac Surg 32:419-22. 2003
..The biopsy specimen showed an aneurysmal bone cyst. The patient was treated surgically via extraoral approach including immediate mandibular reconstruction with with iliac crest bone. The literature is briefly reviewed...
- Solid aneurysmal bone cyst of the mandible
Dental School, University of Chieti, Via F Sciucchi 63, 66100, Italy
Int J Pediatr Otorhinolaryngol 68:1339-44. 2004
..The solid variant is more difficult to recognize. The practical importance of aneurysmal bone cyst lies in the fact that it must be differentiated from malignant tumours: mainly with giant cell tumours and teleangiectatic osteosarcoma...
- Odontogenic keratocyst with mural cartilaginous metaplasia: a case report and a review of the literature
M L Fornatora
Department of Oral and Maxillofacial Pathology, Medicine, and Surgery, Temple University School of Dentistry, Philadelphia, PA 19140-5096, USA
Oral Surg Oral Med Oral Pathol Oral Radiol Endod 92:430-4. 2001
..Benign-appearing metaplastic cartilage was observed in the wall of this cyst, as well as in the recurrence. A benign clinical course is documented, and a review of the literature detailing 6 previously reported cases is presented...
- Oral pathology quiz: an unusual pericoronal cyst. The diagnosis was glandular odontogenic cyst, although focal areas consistent with dentigerous cyst were seen
Department of Diagnostic Sciences, University of Detroit Mercy, School of Dentistry, USA
J Mich Dent Assoc 85:40, 42-3. 2003
- Glandular odontogenic cyst: treatment and recurrence
Department of Oral and Maxillofacial Surgery, Rabin Medical Center, Petah Tikva 49100, Israel
J Oral Maxillofac Surg 63:435-41. 2005
..To investigate the correlation between clinical characteristics, radiologic features, treatment modalities, and treatment outcome of glandular odontogenic cyst, and to suggest a treatment protocol based on these results...
- Cytokeratin expression in central mucoepidermoid carcinoma and glandular odontogenic cyst
Fábio Ramôa Pires
Oral Pathology, School of Dentistry, State University of Rio de Janeiro UERJ, Boulevard 28 de Setembro, 157 Vila Isabel, CEP 21550 030, Rio de Janeiro RJ, Brazil
Oral Oncol 40:545-51. 2004
..Central MEC and GOC are probably distinct entities with CK profiles similar to lesions of glandular and odontogenic origins, respectively, and expression of CKs 18 and 19 could be useful in their differential diagnosis...
- Glandular odontogenic cyst: case report and review of the literature
Ferreira Júnior Osny
Department of Stomatology Surgery, Bauru School of Dentistry, University of Sao Paulo, Sao Paulo, Brazil
Quintessence Int 35:385-9. 2004
..The origin, epidemiology, clinical and radiographic aspects, and treatment of the GOC are also discussed...
- The glandular odontogenic cyst: clinical and radiological features; review of the literature and report of nine cases
Departments of Oral and Maxillofacial Radiology, Faculty of Dentistry, Medical University of Southern Africa, South Africa
Dentomaxillofac Radiol 31:333-8. 2002
..The invasive clinical and radiological features of GOC support the notion of a possible histo-pathologic overlap between GOC and low-grade central mucoepidermoid carcinoma of the jaw...
- Variation in torus mandibularis prevalence in Norway. A statistical analysis using logistic regression
Institute of Mathematics, University of Oslo, Norway
Community Dent Oral Epidemiol 19:32-5. 1991
..The question about a possible sexual difference as to the genetic component of liability to torus mandibularis was outside the scope of the present study...
- Glandular odontogenic cyst: analysis of cytokeratin expression and clinicopathological features
Department of Oral Pathology, Kagoshima University Dental School, Japan
J Oral Pathol Med 23:377-82. 1994
..GOC should be separated from the other types of odontogenic cyst and central mucoepidermoid tumours of salivary gland origin...
- Glandular odontogenic cyst in China: report of 12 cases and immunohistochemical study
Key Lab for Oral Biochemical Engineering of Ministry of Education, Department of Oral Endodontics, School of Stomatology, Wuhan University, Hubei, China
J Oral Pathol Med 35:175-82. 2006
- The use of molecular markers as an aid in the diagnosis of glandular odontogenic cyst
Institute of Pathology, Rabin Medical Center, Beilinson Campus, Petah Tiqva, Israel
Oral Oncol 41:895-902. 2005
- Glandular odontogenic cyst. Report of two cases and review of the literature
College of Dental Medicine, Nova Southeastern University, Fort Lauderdale, FL, USA
N Y State Dent J 72:44-5. 2006
..The aggressive nature of the lesion has been reported and at least 25% to 55% recur following curettage. If not treated on time, extensive surgery and alteration of function may result. Two new cases are reported...
- Large lytic lesion of the ascending ramus, the condyle, and the infratemporal region
Alexander D Rapidis
Department of Oral and Maxillofacial Surgery, Greek Anticancer Institute, St Savvas Hospital, Athens, Greece
J Oral Maxillofac Surg 62:996-1001. 2004
- [Aneurysmal bone cyst of the mandibular condyle]
Service de Chirurgie Maxillo faciale Prof P Seguin, Hopital de Bellevue, CHU Saint Etienne
Rev Stomatol Chir Maxillofac 107:109-14. 2006
..Aneurysmal bone cyst (ABC) is a pseudotumor of bone consisting of a septated cystic cavity filled with blood...
- Persistent painful swelling in the posterior mandible
Department of Oral and Maxillofacial Surgery, Faculty of Dentistry, University of Selcuk, Konya, Turkey
J Oral Maxillofac Surg 62:1139-43. 2004
- Aneurysmal bone cyst of the coronoid process of the mandible
Unit of Oral and Maxillofacial Surgery oral Health Sciences Centre, Postgraduate Institute of Medical Education and Research, Chandigarh, India
J Indian Soc Pedod Prev Dent 24:155-7. 2006
..Seventy-four to eighty-five percent of aneurysmal bone cysts of jaws occur in 10-20 years age group. Therefore, a pediatric dentist may be the first person to see such a lesion...
- [Mandibular aneurysmal bone cyst mimicking a malignant tumor]
Service d otorhinolaryngologie et de chirurgie maxillofaciale, CHU de La Rabta, 1007 Tunis, Tunisie
Rev Stomatol Chir Maxillofac 108:238-40. 2007
..The biopsy specimen proved the diagnosis of aneurismal bone cyst and the patient was treated by surgical curettage. There was no recurrence after 4 years of follow-up...
- Actinomycotic osteomyelitis of the mandible: review of 15 cases
S B Bartkowski
Department of Maxillofacial Surgery, Medical Faculty of the Jagiellonian University in Cracow, Poland
J Craniomaxillofac Surg 26:63-7. 1998
..Twelve of fifteen patients who had received the therapy and proved asymptomatic for 1 year to 23 years were recognized to be cured of the disease. In three patients, a single recurrence of the disease was observed after 1.5-2 months...
- A new method of assessing the size of mandibular cysts on orthopantomograms: projection area fraction
Department of Oral and Maxillofacial Surgery, Ondokuz MayNs University, Kurupelit Samsun 55139
J Craniofac Surg 20:2020-3. 2009
..This method can also be used to monitor the size difference of lesions evaluated for clinical follow-up and research...
- [Oromandibular dystonia. Clinical forms, diagnosis and examples of therapy with botulinum toxin]
Universitäts Hals Nasen Ohren Klinik Göttingen, Germany
Laryngorhinootologie 80:708-13. 2001
..OMD is a very rare form of focal dystonias. The clinical symptoms can vary considerably, depending on the musculature affected...
- Central giant cell granuloma of the jawbones--new insights into molecular biology with clinical implications on treatment approaches
Department of Oral Pathology and Oral Medicine, School of Dental Medicine, Tel Aviv University, Tel Aviv, Israel
Histol Histopathol 23:1151-60. 2008
- Hyperbaric oxygen therapy for radionecrosis of the jaw: a randomized, placebo-controlled, double-blind trial from the ORN96 study group
Service de Réanimation Médicale Hôpital Raymond Poincaré AP HP, Universite de Versailles Saint Quentin en Yvelines, 104 boulevard Raymond Poincaré, 92380 Garches, France
J Clin Oncol 22:4893-900. 2004
..To determine the efficacy and safety of hyperbaric oxygen therapy (HBO) for overt mandibular osteoradionecrosis...
- Osteoradionecrosis of the mandible
Marita S Teng
Department of Otolaryngology, Head and Neck Surgery, University of Washington, 1959 NE Pacific Street, Seattle, WA 98195, USA
Curr Opin Otolaryngol Head Neck Surg 13:217-21. 2005
..Recently, new concepts have been introduced regarding the pathogenesis of osteoradionecrosis, and these ideas help outline new guidelines for treatment...
- Clinical outcome and patient satisfaction after mandibular reconstruction with free fibula flaps
Department of Oral and Maxillofacial Plastic Surgery, Ruhr University Bochum, Knappschaftskrankenhaus Bochum Langendreer, Bochum, Germany
Int J Oral Maxillofac Surg 36:802-6. 2007
..Objective clinician-rated measurements of the donor and recipient region do not always correlate with patient perception of outcome...
- Treatment of a central giant cell granuloma with intralesional corticosteroid
Evandro Neves Abdo
Department of Oral Surgery and Pathology, Faculty of Odontologia, School of Dentistry, Federal University of Minas Gerais, Av Antonio Carlos, 6627 sala 3204, Belo Horizonte, Minas Gerais, CEP 31270901, Brazil
Br J Oral Maxillofac Surg 43:74-6. 2005
..A recurrent central giant cell granuloma in a 14-year-old girl in the anterior region of the mandible was treated successfully by intralesional injection of corticosteroid...
- Florid cemento-osseous dysplasia and chronic diffuse osteomyelitis Report of a simultaneous presentation and review of the literature
Steven R Singer
Department of Diagnostic Sciences, University of Medicine and Dentistry of New Jersey, New Jersey Dental School, Newark 07101, USA
J Am Dent Assoc 136:927-31. 2005
..Differential diagnosis can be crucial, as the course of each process and its clinical management varies...
- Focal osteoporotic marrow defect: report of 100 new cases with ultrasonography scans
Wesley E Shankland
Cranio 22:314-9. 2004
..Within this article, the diagnostic criteria and pathological findings of FOMD will be presented. The three current theories concerning its etiology will be briefly presented and a fourth theory will be proposed...
- Destructive aneurysmal bone cyst of the mandibular condyle: report of a case and review of the literature
Mohammad Hosein Kalantar Motamedi
Oral and Maxillofacial Surgery, Trauma Research Center Faculty, Baqiyatallah Medical Sciences University, Tehran, Iran
J Oral Maxillofac Surg 60:1357-61. 2002
- Variability in measurement of radiomorphometric indices by general dental practitioners
C V Devlin
University Dental Hospital of Manchester, Manchester, UK
Dentomaxillofac Radiol 30:120-5. 2001
..This study casts considerable doubt on the potential value of radiomorphometric indices given their lack of precision...
- Evaluation of bone height and bone density after tooth extraction: an experimental study in minipigs
Paula Vanessa Pedron Oltramari
Department of Orthodontics, Bauru Dental School, University of Sao Paulo, Bauru, Brazil
Oral Surg Oral Med Oral Pathol Oral Radiol Endod 104:e9-16. 2007
..The objective of this study was to radiographically quantify bone density and bone height preservation in tooth extraction alveolus filled with xenograft...
- Bone healing dynamics at buccal peri-implant sites
Laboratory for Applied Periodontal and Craniofacial Regeneration, Medical College of Georgia School of Dentistry, Augusta, GA 30912, USA
Clin Oral Implants Res 19:166-72. 2008
..The objective of this study was to evaluate healing dynamics at buccal peri-implant sites in relation to the dimensions of the alveolar ridge...
- Correlation between early perforation of cover screws and marginal bone loss: a retrospective study
Nele Van Assche
Department of Periodontology, Catholic University Leuven, Leuven, Belgium
J Clin Periodontol 35:76-9. 2008
..This retrospective study aimed to determine the consequence of early cover screw exposure on peri-implant marginal bone level...
- Clinical characteristics at implants with a history of progressive bone loss
Department of Periodontology and The Sahlgrenska Academy at Göteborg University, Goteborg, Sweden
Clin Oral Implants Res 19:142-7. 2008
..The aim of the present study was to describe the clinical characteristics at implants with a history of progressive bone loss...
- Orthodontic space opening in patients with congenitally missing lateral incisors
University Hospital Carl Gustav Carus, Department of Orthodontics, Technical University of Dresden, Dresden, Germany
Angle Orthod 77:404-9. 2007
..The aim of timing is to maximize the amount of bone available for implant insertion and to improve incisors inclination...
- Marginal bone loss in dental implants subjected to early loading (6 to 8 weeks postplacement) with a retrospective short-term follow-up
Valencia University Medical and Dental School, Valencia, Spain
J Oral Maxillofac Surg 66:246-50. 2008
..To evaluate the success rate and marginal bone loss in dental implants loaded after 8 weeks in the maxilla and after 6 weeks in the mandible, after 1 year of follow-up...
- Five-year outcome of 111 immediate nonfunctional single restorations
The Dental School, University of Bologna, Italy
J Oral Implantol 32:277-85. 2006
..2 mm thereafter) was 97.2%. Immediate nonocclusal loading of single implants is a reliable surgical-prosthetic procedure with a low rate of implant loss and a low quantity of peri-implant bone loss over time...
- Clinical outcome of dental implants placed in fibula-free flaps used for the reconstruction of maxillo-mandibular defects following ablation for tumors or osteoradionecrosis
Unit of Oral Surgery, Department of Medicine, Surgery, and Dentistry, San Paolo Hospital, University of Milan, Milan, Italy
Clin Oral Implants Res 17:220-8. 2006
- Assessment of alveolar bone loss and angular bony defects on panoramic radiographs
Department for Operative Dentistry, Johannes Gutenberg University Mainz, Augustusplatz 2, 55131 Mainz, Germany
Eur J Med Res 13:26-30. 2008
..44 mm, most pronounced in maxillary molars (3.1 mm). In conclusion, the study demonstrated a high prevalence of angular bony defects suitable for regenerative periodontal treatment...
- Severely resorbed mandible treated with iliac crest autogenous bone graft and dental implants: 17-year follow-up
Department of Periodontology, The Maurice and Gabriela Goldschleger School of Dental Medicine, Tel Aviv University, Tel Aviv, Israel
Int J Oral Maxillofac Implants 22:1017-21. 2007
..Despite the initial questionable prognosis, oral rehabilitation was successful, with no detectable clinical signs of bone loss over the 17-year follow-up period...
- Simultaneous flapless implant placement and peri-implant defect correction: an experimental pilot study in dogs
Seung Mi Jeong
Department of Dentistry, Yonsei University Wonju College of Medicine, Wonju, South Korea
J Periodontol 79:876-80. 2008
- Observer performance based on marginal bone tissue visibility in Scanora panoramic radiography and posterior bitewing radiography
Institute of Odontology, Medical Faculty, Vilnius University, Zalgirio 115, LT 08217 Vilnius, Lithuania
Stomatologija 10:36-43. 2008
..To evaluate image quality for marginal bone tissue assessment on panoramic radiographs taken with the Scanora dental programme and on posterior bitewing radiographs...
- Fixed partial dentures and crowns supported by very small diameter dental implants in compromised sites
Private Practice, Willimantic, CT, USA
Implant Dent 17:182-91. 2008
..Multiple splinted implants may be necessary to minimize metal fatigue from cyclic loading. Anterior restorations supported by mini implants may need occlusal relief to minimize the effects of cyclic loading...
- The effect of cigarette smoking on dental implants and related surgery
Department of Oral Rehabilitation, The Maurice and Gabriela Goldschleger School of Dental Medicine, Tel Aviv University, Tel Aviv, Israel
Implant Dent 14:357-61. 2005
- Early implant failure. Prognostic capacity of Periotest: retrospective study of a large sample
Department of Periodontology, School of Dentistry, University of Granada, Spain
Clin Oral Implants Res 17:459-64. 2006
- A new device in immediately loaded implant treatment in the edentulous mandible
Diego Klee de Vasconcellos
Department of Dental Materials and Prosthodontics, Sao Paulo State University UNESP, Sao Jose dos Campos School of Dentistry, Sao Jose dos Campos, Brazil
Int J Oral Maxillofac Implants 21:615-22. 2006
..This article reports preliminary clinical results of the Speed Master system, a method for immediate loading of implants for the treatment of mandibular edentulism...
- Early loading of sandblasted and acid-etched implants: a randomized-controlled double-blind split-mouth study. Five-year results
Department of Maxillofacial Surgery, University of Torino, Torino, Italy
Clin Oral Implants Res 19:148-52. 2008
- The role of orthodontics in implant dentistry
T P Rose
Children s Hospital of Orange County CHOC, Orange County, California, USA
Br Dent J 201:753-64. 2006
..The use of implants for orthodontic anchorage requires an interdisciplinary approach and precise planning to achieve optimal results...
- Socket preservation
Cape Society of Dental Implantology
SADJ 61:366, 368. 2006
- Comparison of clinical, radiographic and immunological parameters of teeth and different dental implant platforms
Eli E Machtei
Unit of Periodontology, Technion Israeli Institute of Technology, Haifa, Israel
Clin Oral Implants Res 17:658-65. 2006
..The two dental implant platforms showed a similar clinical and radiographic response; however, the greater host response in the non-submerged implants might suggest future bone loss...
- Bone defect formation during implant placement following alveolar distraction
Oral Surgery Unit, School of Dentistry, University of Santiago de Compostela, Santiago de Compostela, Spain
Int J Oral Maxillofac Implants 22:47-52. 2007
..This retrospective study was designed to evaluate the volume of hard tissue generated at the time of implant placement in distracted alveolar bone...
- Radiological and clinical follow-up of machined- and anodized-surface implants after mean functional loading for 33 months
Department of Oral Surgery, Bernhard Gottlieb Dental School, Medical University of Vienna, Vienna, Austria
Clin Oral Implants Res 17:651-7. 2006
- Longevity of teeth and implants - a systematic review
Department of Periodontology, Institute of Odontology, The Sahlgrenska Academy at Goteborg University, Goteborg, Sweden
J Oral Rehabil 35:23-32. 2008
..Bone level changes appeared to be small at teeth as well as at implants in well-maintained patients. Comparisons of the longevity at teeth and dental implants are difficult due to heterogeneity among the studies...
- Submerged healing following surgical treatment of peri-implantitis: a case series
Ann Marie Roos-Jansåker
Department of Health Sciences, Kristianstad University, Kristianstad, Sweden
J Clin Periodontol 34:723-7. 2007
..The aim was to study a regenerative surgical treatment modality for peri-implantitis employing submerged healing...
- The fabrication and use of an extraoral surgical guide for implant placement coincident with soft tissue matrix expansion grafts: a clinical report
Paul S Kudyba
Medical College of Georgia, School of Dentistry, Augusta, USA
J Prosthet Dent 96:227-32. 2006
..The essential records established from an intraoral surgical guide must be transferred to an extraoral surgical guide. This clinical report describes the fabrication and use of an extraoral surgical guide employed during STMEG surgery...
- Benefits of an implant platform modification technique to reduce crestal bone resorption
Implant Dent 15:313-20. 2006
- Full mouth rehabilitation of a hypohidrotic ectodermal dysplasia patient with dental implants: a clinical report
Afsaneh Shahrokhi Rad
Dental Research Center, Tehran University of Medical Sciences, Ghods Street, Keshavarz Boulevard, Tehran, Iran 141555583
J Prosthodont 16:209-13. 2007
..At the one-year follow-up, the patient presented significant improvements in oral function and psychosocial activities...
- Horizontal and vertical ridge augmentation for implant placement in the aesthetic zone
Maxillofacial Department, Universita Cattolica del Sacro Cuore, Policlinico A Gemelli, Rome, Italy
Int J Oral Maxillofac Surg 36:944-8. 2007
..The on-lay bone graft augments the palatal-buccal dimension and the interposed graft guarantees vertical augmentation...
- Reconstruction of the severely atrophic mandible using calvarial split bone grafts for implant-supported oral rehabilitation
Department of Cranio Maxillofacial Surgery, University of Berne, Switzerland
Oral Surg Oral Med Oral Pathol Oral Radiol Endod 101:35-42. 2006
..The study aim was to evaluate the efficacy of the treatment by determining implant survival and complication rates, and the extent of the postoperative graft resorption...
- A long-term study of implants supporting overdentures as a model for implant success
Department of Oral and Maxillofacial Surgery, The Maurice and Gabriela Goldschleger School of Dental Medicine, Tel Aviv University, Tel Aviv, Israel
J Periodontol 76:1431-5. 2005
- Reconstruction of the severely resorbed atrophic edentulous ridge of the maxilla and mandible for implant rehabilitation: report of a case
Shou Yen Kao
Oral and Maxillofacial Surgery, Department of Dentistry, Taipei Veterans General Hospital, Taipei, Taiwan, ROC
J Oral Implantol 28:128-32. 2002
..After full-mouth implant rehabilitation, a 5-year follow-up of this case shows a satisfactory result...
- [Postradiation dental extractions]
A G Chaux-Bodard
Centre Leon Berard, 28, rue Laennec, 69373 Lyon 08
Rev Stomatol Chir Maxillofac 105:269-73. 2004
..Healing may fail after postradiation dental extractions, with a risk of followed osteoradionecrosis, and its dramatic prognosis. We propose a protocol for postradiation extractions...
- Peripheral odontogenic keratocyst: report of two cases and review of the literature
Angela C Chi
Division of Oral and Maxillofacial Pathology, Department of Pathology, Emory University School of Medicine, Atlanta, GA, USA
Oral Surg Oral Med Oral Pathol Oral Radiol Endod 99:71-8. 2005
..Given the distinct microscopic features and possible association with nevoid basal cell carcinoma syndrome, we favor the view that this lesion represents the soft tissue counterpart of the intraosseous odontogenic keratocyst...
- Association of calcitonin receptor gene polymorphism with early marginal bone loss around endosseous implants
Department of Dentistry and Oral Maxillofacial Surgery, Kobe Nishi City Hospital, Kobe, Japan
Int J Oral Maxillofac Implants 17:38-43. 2002
..This study investigated the relationship between calcitonin receptor (CTR) genotype and buccal marginal bone loss observed at stage II surgery for endosseous implants...
- Reconstruction of maxillary and mandibular defects using prefabricated microvascular fibular grafts and osseointegrated dental implants -- a prospective study
Department of Reconstructive Surgery, University Hospital Basel, Basle, Switzerland
Clin Oral Implants Res 15:598-606. 2004
..The prospective 1-year results are promising but long-term evaluation of periodontal and radiological parameters are required...
- The extremely resorbed mandible: a comparative prospective study of 2-year results with 3 treatment strategies
Department of Oral and Maxillofacial Surgery and Maxillofacial Prosthetics, University Hospital, Groningen, The Netherlands
Int J Oral Maxillofac Implants 19:563-77. 2004
..The 3 treatment strategies used were a transmandibular implant, augmentation of the mandible with an autologous bone graft followed by placement of 4 endosseous implants, and the placement of 4 endosseous implants only...
- Osteogenesis distraction and platelet-rich plasma for bone restoration of the severely atrophic mandible: preliminary results
Department of Maxillo Facial Surgery, Faculty of Medicine, University of Udine, Udine, Italy
J Oral Maxillofac Surg 60:630-5. 2002
..The purpose of this study was to evaluate a new method of restoring severe atrophic mandible using platelet-rich plasma (PRP) during distraction osteogenesis...
- Implantology and the severely resorbed edentulous mandible
Department of Oral and Maxillofacial Surgery and Maxillofacial Prosthetics, University Hospital, PO Box 30 001, 9700 RB Groningen, The Netherlands
Crit Rev Oral Biol Med 15:240-8. 2004
..Future research has to be focused on long-term, detailed follow-up clinical trials before scientifically based decisions in treating these patients can be made. This will contribute to a higher level of care in this field...
- Implants in regenerated bone in a primate model
M E Fritz
Yerkes Regional Primate Research Center, Emory University, Atlanta, GA, USA
J Periodontol 72:703-8. 2001
..CONCLUSIONS: In a primate model root-form implants placed in regenerated bone and prosthetically loaded show no difference when compared to root-form implants placed in non-regenerated bone and prosthetically loaded...
- Case report--odontogenic keratocysts: enucleation, bone grafting and implant placement: an early return to function
Conor P Barry
Department of Oral and Maxillofacial Surgery, Mid Western Regional Hospital, Limerick
J Ir Dent Assoc 49:83-8. 2003
..5. Immediate mandibular reconstruction with a corticocancellous iliac crest bone graft. 6. Placement of endosseous implants four months following bone grafting. 7. Reconstruction of the dentition six months following implant placement...
- Vertical alveolar distraction osteogenesis with complications in a reconstructed mandible
Division of Dentistry and Oral Surgery, Akita University School of Medicine, 1 1 1 Hondo, Akita 010 8543, Japan
J Oral Implantol 29:185-8. 2003
..The granulation tissue was removed and endosteal implants were inserted together with a bone graft. Ultimately, all implants were osseointegrated, and adequate esthetics and function of the implant-supported prosthesis were achieved...
- Surgical and prosthodontic rehabilitation for a patient with aggressive florid cemento-osseous dysplasia: a clinical report
School of Dentistry, Department of Chemistry, CB 3290, University of North Carolina, Chapel Hill, NC, USA
J Prosthet Dent 90:220-4. 2003
..This clinical report describes a rare but aggressive secondary infection of this type, which was successfully treated by a combination of complex surgical and prosthodontic procedures, including dental implant therapy...
- Long-term follow-up on keratocysts treated according to a defined protocol
P J Stoelinga
Department of Oral and Maxillofacial Surgery, Rijnstate Hospital, Arnhem, The Netherlands
Int J Oral Maxillofac Surg 30:14-25. 2001
..It is concluded that the suggested treatment protocol and follow-up schedule provides a safe means to manage a lesion that is known to recur and may even give rise to life threatening situations...
- Bone morphogenetic protein-4 gene polymorphism and early marginal bone loss around endosseous implants
Department of Pharmacology, Osaka Dental University, Hirakata, Osaka, Japan
Int J Oral Maxillofac Implants 18:500-4. 2003
..This study was designed to investigate whether the bone morphogenetic protein-4 (BMP-4) genetic polymorphism is associated with early marginal bone loss around implants...
- Multiple recurrent and de novo odontogenic keratocysts associated with oral-facial-digital syndrome
Jerome A H Lindeboom
Department of Oral and Maxillofacial Surgery, Academic Medical Centre AMC, University of Amsterdam, Meibergdreef 9, 1105 AZ Amsterdam, The Netherlands
Oral Surg Oral Med Oral Pathol Oral Radiol Endod 95:458-62. 2003
..Although multiple keratocysts are commonly found in Gorlin-Goltz nevoid basal cell carcinoma syndrome, a relationship between OFDS and multiple keratocysts has not been described...
- Distraction osteogenesis for reconstruction after mandibular segmental resection
Second Department of Oral and Maxillofacial Surgery, Kyushu Dental College, Kitakyushu, Japan
Oral Surg Oral Med Oral Pathol Oral Radiol Endod 93:21-6. 2002
..Distraction osteogenesis with the shortening and lengthening method seems to be a feasible option for reconstruction after segmental resection of the mandible...
- Crestal bone changes around titanium implants. Part I: A retrospective radiographic evaluation in humans comparing two non-submerged implant designs with different machined collar lengths
Michael P Hänggi
Department of Preventive Dentistry and Oral Microbiology, University of Basel Dental School, Basel, Switzerland
J Periodontol 76:791-802. 2005
..The aim of this study was to evaluate radiographically the crestal bone level changes around two types of implants, one with a 2.8 mm smooth machined coronal length and the other with 1.8 mm collar...
- Treatment options following single-rooted tooth removal: a literature review and proposed hierarchy of treatment selection
Paul A Fugazzotto
Private Practice, Milton, MA 02186, USA
J Periodontol 76:821-31. 2005
..Included in these approaches are placement of various grafting materials, immediate implant placement, and a combination of both...
- Influence of alcohol and tobacco habits on peri-implant marginal bone loss: a prospective study
Oral Surgery Department, School of Dentistry, Cartuja University Campus, University of Granada, Granada, Spain
Clin Oral Implants Res 16:579-86. 2005
- Evaluation of demineralized bone matrix paste and putty in periodontal intraosseous defects
Sara A Bender
Private Practice, Frisco, TX, USA
J Periodontol 76:768-77. 2005
..The purpose of this study was to determine the effectiveness of DBX paste and putty compared to demineralized freeze-dried bone allograft (DFDBA) in the treatment of human intraosseous periodontal defects...
- [Histologic and histomorphometric study of bone regeneration induced by beta-tricalcium phosphate (multicenter study)]
Semmelweis Egyetem, Fogorvostudományi Kar, Szájsebészeti és Fogászati Klinika, Budapest
Orv Hetil 145:1431-7. 2004
..However, bone graft can be harvested only by a second surgery, which is inconvenient for the patient and raises the possibility of many complications...
- Impact of smoking on marginal bone loss
Department of Oral and Maxillofacial Surgery, The Chaim Sheba Medical Center, Tel Hashomer, Israel
Int J Oral Maxillofac Implants 20:605-9. 2005
..To compare marginal implant bone loss (MBL), survival, and radiographic evidence of success of dental implants among smokers and nonsmokers...
- Bone reactions to longstanding functional load at implants: an experimental study in dogs
Department of Periodontology, The Sahlgrenska Academy at Goteborg University, Goteborg, Sweden
J Clin Periodontol 32:925-32. 2005
..The aims of the present investigation were (i) to study marginal bone level alterations following implant installation, abutment connection and functional loading and (ii) to analyse bone tissue reactions to functional load...