Genomes and Genes
Summary: Arthritis of the spine, specifically involving the intervertebral articulations.
Publications215 found, 100 shown here
- 2010 Update of the international ASAS recommendations for the use of anti-TNF agents in patients with axial spondyloarthritisDesiree van der Heijde
Department of Rheumatology, Leiden University Medical Center, PO Box 9600, 2300 RC Leiden, The Netherlands
Ann Rheum Dis 70:905-8. 2011..Sulfasalazine is no longer mandatory in this group of patients. Finally, efficacy should be evaluated after at least 12 weeks. The remaining recommendations stayed largely unchanged...
- The development of Assessment of SpondyloArthritis international Society classification criteria for axial spondyloarthritis (part II): validation and final selectionM Rudwaleit
Med Klinik I, Charite, Campus Benjamin Franklin, Berlin, Germany
Ann Rheum Dis 68:777-83. 2009..To validate and refine two sets of candidate criteria for the classification/diagnosis of axial spondyloarthritis (SpA)...
- The Assessment of SpondyloArthritis International Society classification criteria for peripheral spondyloarthritis and for spondyloarthritis in generalM Rudwaleit
Department of Medicine, Charite University Medicine, Berlin, Germany
Ann Rheum Dis 70:25-31. 2011..To evaluate new classification criteria for peripheral spondyloarthritis (SpA) in patients with SpA with peripheral manifestations only...
- Interleukin-17-positive mast cells contribute to synovial inflammation in spondylarthritisTroy Noordenbos
Academic Medical Center University of Amsterdam, Amsterdam, The Netherlands
Arthritis Rheum 64:99-109. 2012Studies comparing spondylarthritis (SpA) to rheumatoid arthritis (RA) synovitis suggest that innate immune cells may play a predominant role in the pathogenesis of SpA...
- Efficacy and safety of adalimumab in patients with non-radiographic axial spondyloarthritis: results of a randomised placebo-controlled trial (ABILITY-1)Joachim Sieper
Department of Gastroenterology and Rheumatology, Charite Universitatsmedizin Berlin, Berlin, Germany
Ann Rheum Dis 72:815-22. 2013..To evaluate the efficacy and safety of adalimumab in patients with non-radiographic axial spondyloarthritis (nr-axSpA)...
- Relationship between active inflammatory lesions in the spine and sacroiliac joints and new development of chronic lesions on whole-body MRI in early axial spondyloarthritis: results of the ESTHER trial at week 48I H Song
Rheumatology, Charité Medical University, Campus Benjamin Franklin, Berlin, Germany
Ann Rheum Dis 70:1257-63. 2011....
- Efficacy of adalimumab in the treatment of axial spondylarthritis without radiographically defined sacroiliitis: results of a twelve-week randomized, double-blind, placebo-controlled trial followed by an open-label extension up to week fifty-twoHildrun Haibel
Charité Medical University Hospital, Campus Benjamin Franklin, Berlin, Germany
Arthritis Rheum 58:1981-91. 2008To evaluate the efficacy and safety of the tumor necrosis factor (TNF) antagonist adalimumab in patients with axial spondylarthritis (SpA) without radiographically defined sacroiliitis refractory to conventional treatment.
- The Assessment of SpondyloArthritis international Society (ASAS) handbook: a guide to assess spondyloarthritisJ Sieper
Rheumatology, Medizinische Klinik I, Charite Campus Benjamin Franklin, Hindenburgdamm 30, 12200 Berlin, Germany
Ann Rheum Dis 68:ii1-44. 2009..The focus of this handbook is on practicality, with many examples of MRI and x ray images, which will help to standardise not only patient care but also the design of clinical studies...
- Cell-surface expression and immune receptor recognition of HLA-B27 homodimersSimon Kollnberger
Weatherall Institute of Molecular Medicine, John Radcliffe Hospital, Oxford, UK
Arthritis Rheum 46:2972-82. 2002..We undertook this study to ascertain if patients with spondylarthritis express beta(2)-microglobulin-free HLA-B27 heavy chains in the form of homodimers and receptors for HLA-B27 ..
- Effects of etanercept versus sulfasalazine in early axial spondyloarthritis on active inflammatory lesions as detected by whole-body MRI (ESTHER): a 48-week randomised controlled trialI H Song
Campus Benjamin Franklin, Med Clinic I, Rheumatology, Hindenburgdamm 30, 12200 Berlin, Germany
Ann Rheum Dis 70:590-6. 2011..To evaluate the potential of etanercept versus sulfasalazine to reduce active inflammatory lesions on whole-body MRI in active axial spondyloarthritis with a symptom duration of less than 5 years...
- Baseline radiographic damage, elevated acute-phase reactant levels, and cigarette smoking status predict spinal radiographic progression in early axial spondylarthritisDenis Poddubnyy
Charite Universitatsmedizin, Campus Benjamin Franklin, Berlin, Germany
Arthritis Rheum 64:1388-98. 2012To assess prospectively the rates and to explore predictors of spinal radiographic progression over 2 years in a cohort of patients with early axial spondylarthritis (SpA).
- Referral strategies for early diagnosis of axial spondyloarthritisMartin Rudwaleit
Endokrinologikum Berlin, Jägerstrasse 61, 10117 Berlin, Germany
Nat Rev Rheumatol 8:262-8. 2012....
- Identification of interleukin-7 as a candidate disease mediator in spondylarthritisMarkus Rihl
Hannover Medical School, Hannover, Germany
Arthritis Rheum 58:3430-5. 2008Understanding of the molecular pathophysiology of spondylarthritis (SpA) remains largely elusive...
- Prevalence and characteristics of uveitis in the spondyloarthropathies: a systematic literature reviewN Zeboulon
Paris Descartes University, Medicine Faculty Rheumatology B Department, Cochin Hospital, Paris, France
Ann Rheum Dis 67:955-9. 2008..Uveitis is reported to be the most common extra-articular manifestation in spondyloarthritis (SpA); however, its prevalence and characteristics are not well established...
- HLA-B27 positive patients differ from HLA-B27 negative patients in clinical presentation and imaging: results from the DESIR cohort of patients with recent onset axial spondyloarthritisHo Yin Chung
Rheumatology, Leiden University Medical Centre, Leiden, The Netherlands
Ann Rheum Dis 70:1930-6. 2011..To clarify the influence of human leucocyte antigen B27 (HLA-B27) status on the phenotype of early axial spondyloarthritis (SpA)...
- Inhibiting HLA-B27 homodimer-driven immune cell inflammation in spondylarthritisSravan K Payeli
University of Zurich, Zurich, Switzerland
Arthritis Rheum 64:3139-49. 2012..This study was undertaken to produce an antibody to HLA-B27(2) in order to confirm its expression in SpA and to inhibit its proinflammatory properties...
- Radiographic progression is associated with resolution of systemic inflammation in patients with axial spondylarthritis treated with tumor necrosis factor α inhibitors: a study of radiographic progression, inflammation on magnetic resonance imaging, and cSusanne Juhl Pedersen
Department of Rheumatology C Post 535, Gentofte University Hospital, Copenhagen, Denmark
Arthritis Rheum 63:3789-800. 2011..and bone turnover (CTX-I and osteocalcin) to inflammation on magnetic resonance imaging (MRI) and radiographic progression in patients with axial spondylarthritis (SpA) beginning tumor necrosis factor α (TNFα) inhibitor therapy.
- Estimates of the prevalence of arthritis and other rheumatic conditions in the United States. Part ICharles G Helmick
CDC, Atlanta, Georgia 30341 3717, USA
Arthritis Rheum 58:15-25. 2008..A companion article (part II) addresses additional conditions...
- Active inflammation and structural change in early active axial spondyloarthritis as detected by whole-body MRIChristian E Althoff
Department of Radiology, Charité Medical University, Campus Mitte, Berlin, Germany
Ann Rheum Dis 72:967-73. 2013..To evaluate active inflammatory lesions (AIL) and structural changes (SC) in patients with active non-radiographic axial spondyloarthritis (nr-axSpA) compared with patients with ankylosing spondylitis (AS) on whole-body MRI (wb-MRI)...
- Descriptions of spinal MRI lesions and definition of a positive MRI of the spine in axial spondyloarthritis: a consensual approach by the ASAS/OMERACT MRI study groupKay Geert A Hermann
Department of Radiology, Charite University Hospital, Berlin, Germany
Ann Rheum Dis 71:1278-88. 2012..The aim of this study was to define characteristic MRI findings in the spine of patients with axial spondyloarthritis (SpA) and provide a definition of a positive spinal MRI for inflammation and structural changes...
- The diagnostic utility of magnetic resonance imaging in spondylarthritis: an international multicenter evaluation of one hundred eighty-seven subjectsUlrich Weber
Balgrist University Hospital, Zurich, Switzerland
Arthritis Rheum 62:3048-58. 2010..assess the diagnostic utility of magnetic resonance imaging (MRI) to differentiate patients with spondylarthritis (SpA) from patients with nonspecific back pain and healthy volunteers, using a standardized evaluation of MR ..
- Developments in therapies for spondyloarthritisJoachim Sieper
Rheumatology, Department of Medicine, Charite Campus Benjamin Franklin, Hindenburgdamm 30, 12200 Berlin, Germany
Nat Rev Rheumatol 8:280-7. 2012..New classification criteria for peripheral SpA will also allow treatment trials to be conducted more systematically than has previously been possible in this subgroup of patients...
- Circulating levels of interleukin-6, vascular endothelial growth factor, YKL-40, matrix metalloproteinase-3, and total aggrecan in spondyloarthritis patients during 3 years of treatment with TNFα inhibitorsSusanne Juhl Pedersen
Department of Rheumatology, Copenhagen University Hospital, Herlev and Gentofte, Denmark
Clin Rheumatol 29:1301-9. 2010..Larger prospective studies are required to clarify clinical utility of these biomarkers...
- Magnetic resonance imaging of active sacroiliitis: do we really need gadolinium?Christian E Althoff
Department of Radiology, Charite Universitatsmedizin Berlin, Campus Mitte, Chariteplatz 1, 10117 Berlin, Germany
Eur J Radiol 71:232-6. 2009..The aim of the present study was to compare these two pulse sequences in terms of diagnosis, diagnostic confidence, and quantification of inflammatory changes...
- SpondyloarthritidesXenofon Baraliakos
Rheumazentrum Ruhrgebiet, Ruhr University Bochum, Herne, Germany
Best Pract Res Clin Rheumatol 25:825-42. 2011..As far as it stands now, TNF blockers seem to have no influence on new bone formation in AS...
- A randomised, multicentre, double-blind, placebo-controlled trial of etanercept in adults with refractory heel enthesitis in spondyloarthritis: the HEEL trialMaxime Dougados
Paris Descartes University, and APHP, Rheumatology B Department, Cochin Hospital, Paris, France
Ann Rheum Dis 69:1430-5. 2010..The objective of this study was to investigate the efficacy of etanercept in refractory heel enthesitis related to SpA...
- Performance of referral recommendations in patients with chronic back pain and suspected axial spondyloarthritisHenning Christian Brandt
Rheumatology, Department of Medicine I, Charite Campus Benjamin Franklin, Berlin, Germany
Ann Rheum Dis 66:1479-84. 2007..Referral parameters that are easy for doctors in primary care to apply to patients presenting with possible AS could contribute to earlier diagnosis...
- ASAS recommendations for collecting, analysing and reporting NSAID intake in clinical trials/epidemiological studies in axial spondyloarthritisMaxime Dougados
Rheumatology B Department, Paris Descartes University, Cochin Hospital, Paris 75014, France
Ann Rheum Dis 70:249-51. 2011..This initiative should facilitate the conduct and analysis of clinical studies/trials...
- Progress in spondylarthritis. Immunopathogenesis of spondyloarthritis: which cells drive disease?Lode Melis
Department of Rheumatology, Ghent University Hospital, 0K12IB, De Pintelaan 185, 9000 Ghent, Belgium
Arthritis Res Ther 11:233. 2009..A major challenge, however, remains to determine how recently identified genetic associations such as interleukin-23 receptor polymorphisms may influence cellular targets in spondyloarthritis...
- Progress in spondylarthritis. Mechanisms of new bone formation in spondyloarthritisRik J U Lories
Department of Musculoskeletal Sciences, Division of Rheumatology, Laboratory for Skeletal Development and Joint Disorders, Katholieke Universiteit Leuven, Belgium
Arthritis Res Ther 11:221. 2009..The relationship between inflammation and new bone formation is still unclear. This review summarizes progress made in our understanding of ankylosis and offers an alternative view of the relationship between inflammation and ankylosis...
- Role of diffusion-weighted MRI in the detection of early active sacroiliitisZulkif Bozgeyik
Department of Radiology, Faculty of Medicine, Firat University, 23119, Elazig, Turkey
AJR Am J Roentgenol 191:980-6. 2008This study proposed to evaluate the value of diffusion-weighted MRI (DWI) to detect active inflammatory changes in the sacroiliac joints of patients with early axial spondyloarthritis (also spelled spondylarthritis).
- Efficacy of etanercept for treatment of Crohn's related spondyloarthritis but not colitisH Marzo-Ortega
Rheumatology Research Unit, University of Leeds, 36 Clarendon Road, Leeds LS2 9NZ, UK
Ann Rheum Dis 62:74-6. 2003..These findings suggest that the effect of TNFalpha blockade in SpA differs between the joint and the bowel...
- Mycobacterium chelonae infection under adalimumab therapy for spondylarthritisN Kluger
Départment de Médecine Interne, Centre de Référence pour les Vascularites Nécrosantes et la Sclérodermie Systémique, Hopital Cochin, Assistance Publique Hopitaux de Paris AP HP, Universite Paris Descartes, Paris, France
Clin Exp Rheumatol 28:101-2. 2010..Skin biopsy with histological examination and oriented microbiological cultures and molecular identification are mandatory to confirm the diagnosis...
- Role of NOD2 variants in spondylarthritisAlison M Crane
Spondylitis and Bone Disease Research Group, Wellcome Trust Centre for Human Genetics, Roosevelt Drive, Headington OX3 7BN, Oxford, UK
Arthritis Rheum 46:1629-33. 2002..To investigate the role of the gene NOD2 in susceptibility to, and clinical manifestations of, ankylosing spondylitis (AS)...
- Therapeutic considerations in spondyloarthritis patients who fail tumour necrosis factor antagonistsC T Ritchlin
Division of Allergy, Immunology and Rheumatology, University of Rochester Medical Center, 601 Elmwood Avenue, Rochester, NY 14642, USA
Best Pract Res Clin Rheumatol 24:683-92. 2010....
- Evaluation of the diagnostic utility of spinal magnetic resonance imaging in axial spondylarthritisA N Bennett
Leeds Institute of Molecular Medicine and Chapel Allerton Hospital, Leeds, UK
Arthritis Rheum 60:1331-41. 2009Magnetic resonance imaging (MRI) is increasingly used for the diagnosis of axial spondylarthritis (SpA), but it is unknown whether characteristic lesions are actually specific for SpA...
- Dendritic cells from spondylarthritis-prone HLA-B27-transgenic rats display altered cytoskeletal dynamics, class II major histocompatibility complex expression, and viabilityMaarten Dhaenens
Laboratory for Phartmaceutical Biotechnology, Ghent University, Harelbekestraat 72, Ghent, Belgium
Arthritis Rheum 60:2622-32. 2009b>Spondylarthritis (SpA) is characterized by spinal and peripheral joint inflammation, frequently combined with extraarticular manifestations...
- Current controversies in spondyloarthritis: SPARTANMichael Weisman
Cedars Sinai Medical Center, Los Angeles, California, USA
J Rheumatol 37:2617-23. 2010..Presentations also were made on psoriasis in the SCID mouse model; the challenges and opportunities of SpA in China; a discussion of the special needs in managing SpA in Ibero-America, and the SPARK Survey in Europe and North America...
- Autoimmune epididymoorchitis is essential to the pathogenesis of male-specific spondylarthritis in HLA-B27-transgenic ratsJoel D Taurog
Rheumatic Diseases Division, Department of Internal Medicine, University of Texas Southwestern Medical Center, 5323 Harry Hines Boulevard, Dallas, TX 75390 8884, USA
Arthritis Rheum 64:2518-28. 2012..2) -microglobulin (hβ(2) m) spontaneously develop epididymoorchitis (EO) preceding the development of spondylarthritis (SpA)...
- A systematic critical review on MRI in spondyloarthritisBodil Arnbak
Research Department, Spine Centre of Southern Denmark, Hospital Lillebaelt, Clinical Locomotion Network, Oestre Hougvej 55, Middelfart 5500, Denmark
Arthritis Res Ther 14:R55. 2012..The aims were to identify which MRI findings are associated with the diagnosis of SpA and to quantify this association...
- Increased numbers of CD5+ B lymphocytes with a regulatory phenotype in spondylarthritisTineke Cantaert
Academic Medical Center, Amsterdam, The Netherlands
Arthritis Rheum 64:1859-68. 2012Whether and how B lymphocytes contribute to the pathogenesis of spondylarthritis (SpA), a seronegative arthritis associated with gut inflammation, remains unknown...
- Expression of HLA-B27 causes loss of migratory dendritic cells in a rat model of spondylarthritisLotta Utriainen
University of Glasgow, Glasgow, UK
Arthritis Rheum 64:3199-209. 2012..Therefore, B27-transgenic rats provide a model of spondylarthritis. Because inflammation in these rats requires CD4+ T lymphocytes and involves intestinal pathology, we ..
- Early spondyloarthritisDenis Poddubnyy
Rheumatology, Medical Department I, Campus Benjamin Franklin, Charite Universitatsmedizin Berlin, Hindenburgdamm 30, Berlin 12203, Germany
Rheum Dis Clin North Am 38:387-403. 2012..This article discusses the current concept of the disease, typical manifestations, advances in diagnosis, and current treatment recommendations...
- The frequency of non-radiographic axial spondyloarthritis in relation to symptom duration in patients referred because of chronic back pain: results from the Berlin early spondyloarthritis clinicDenis Poddubnyy
Rheumatology, Medical Department I, Campus Benjamin Franklin, Charite Universitatsmedizin Berlin, Hindenburgdamm 30, Berlin 12203, Germany
Ann Rheum Dis 71:1998-2001. 2012....
- Disease-specific and inflammation-independent stromal alterations in spondylarthritis synovitisNataliya Yeremenko
Department of Clinical Immunology and Rheumatology, Academic Medical Center and University of Amsterdam, Amsterdam, The Netherlands
Arthritis Rheum 65:174-85. 2013The molecular processes driving the distinct patterns of synovial inflammation and tissue remodeling in spondylarthritis (SpA) as compared to rheumatoid arthritis (RA) remain largely unknown...
- Similar response rates in patients with ankylosing spondylitis and non-radiographic axial spondyloarthritis after 1 year of treatment with etanercept: results from the ESTHER trialIn Ho Song
Department of Rheumatology, Charité Medical University, Berlin, Germany
Ann Rheum Dis 72:823-5. 2013..We assessed whether there is a difference to etanercept (ETA) treatment in patients with ankylosing spondylitis (AS) compared with non-radiographic axial SpA (nr-axSpA) patients with a disease duration <5 years...
- Therapeutic drug monitoring of infliximab in spondyloarthritis: an observational open-label studyJean Camille Méric
Universite Francois Rabelais de Tours, Centre National de la Recherche Scientifique UMR 6239 Génétique Immunothérapie Chimie et Cancer, Tours, France
Ther Drug Monit 33:411-6. 2011..We investigated whether a knowledge of infliximab serum concentration modifies physician decision and improves the control of disease activity in SpA...
- Rates and predictors of radiographic sacroiliitis progression over 2 years in patients with axial spondyloarthritisDenis Poddubnyy
Department of Rheumatology, Charite Campus Benjamin Franklin, Berlin, Germany
Ann Rheum Dis 70:1369-74. 2011..To assess the progression of radiographic sacroiliitis in a cohort of patients with early axial spondyloarthritis over a period of 2 years and to explore predictors of progression...
- The DESIR cohort: a 10-year follow-up of early inflammatory back pain in France: study design and baseline characteristics of the 708 recruited patientsMaxime Dougados
Paris Descartes University, Medicine Faculty, Rheumatology B Department, Paris 14, France
Joint Bone Spine 78:598-603. 2011....
- Consecutive occurrence of rhinoconjunctivitis, seronegative spondyloarthritis and pyoderma gangrenosum in a patient with ulcerative colitisFrancesco Manguso
Int J Colorectal Dis 20:79-80. 2005
- MRI abnormalities of sacroiliac joints in early spondylarthropathy: a 1-year follow-up studyK B Puhakka
Department of Radiology, Aarhus University Hospital, Denmark
Scand J Rheumatol 33:332-8. 2004....
- Pathophysiology of new bone formation and ankylosis in spondyloarthritisRik J U Lories
Laboratory for Skeletal Development and Joint Disorders, Department of Development and Regeneration, Leuven, Belgium
Rheum Dis Clin North Am 38:555-67. 2012..In addition, proposed biomarkers of new bone formation are evaluated and the translational current and future challenges are discussed with regards to new bone formation in spondyloarthritis...
- Clinical features of axial undifferentiated spondyloarthritis (USpA) in China: HLA-B27 is more useful for classification than MRI of the sacroiliac jointZ Liao
Third Affiliated Hospital of Sun Yat Sen University, Guangzhou, China
Scand J Rheumatol 40:439-43. 2011....
- The development of Assessment of SpondyloArthritis international Society classification criteria for axial spondyloarthritis (part I): classification of paper patients by expert opinion including uncertainty appraisalM Rudwaleit
Med Klinik I, Charite, Campus Benjamin Franklin, Berlin, Germany
Ann Rheum Dis 68:770-6. 2009..The objective of this study was to develop candidate classification criteria for axial SpA that include patients with but also without radiographic sacroiliitis...
- Early spondyloarthritis: usefulness of clinical screeningJosef Hermann
Division of Rheumatology, Medical University of Graz, Graz, Austria
Rheumatology (Oxford) 48:812-6. 2009..To evaluate the usefulness of clinical parameters in screening for early SpA in patients meeting Calin's criteria for inflammatory back pain (IBP)...
- Biomarkers in spondyloarthritisWalter P Maksymowych
Department of Medicine, University of Alberta, 562 Heritage Medical Research Building, Edmonton, AB, T6G 2S2, Canada
Curr Rheumatol Rep 12:318-24. 2010....
- Mucosal inflammation in spondylarthritides: past, present, and futureLiesbet Van Praet
Department of Rheumatology, Ghent University Hospital, De Pintelaan 185, 0K12 IB, 9000 Ghent, Belgium
Curr Rheumatol Rep 13:409-15. 2011..In this paper, we focus on the clinical, genetic, and pathophysiologic overlap of SpA and IBD. Furthermore, we discuss some of the targets that may influence therapeutic decision making...
- β-glucan triggers spondylarthritis and Crohn's disease-like ileitis in SKG miceMerja Ruutu
University of Queensland and Princess Alexandra Hospital, Brisbane, Queensland, Australia
Arthritis Rheum 64:2211-22. 2012..This study was undertaken to determine whether SKG mice injected with 1,3-β-glucan (curdlan) develop evidence of SpA, and the relationship of innate and adaptive autoimmunity to this process...
- Novel development in extraintestinal manifestations and spondylarthropathyM De Vos
Ghent University Hospital, Department of Gastroenterology, Ghent, Belgium
Best Pract Res Clin Gastroenterol 25:S19-26. 2011The important co-existence of spondylarthritis (SpA) and inflammatory bowel disease (IBD) within the same individual suggests common etiopathogenic mechanisms...
- Validation of the ASAS criteria and definition of a positive MRI of the sacroiliac joint in an inception cohort of axial spondyloarthritis followed up for 8 yearsSibel Z Aydin
Medeniyet University, Goztepe Training and Research Hospital Rheumatology Unit, Istanbul, Turkey
Ann Rheum Dis 71:56-60. 2012..To aid implementation, ASAS has proposed a definition of a positive MRI for active sacroiliitis...
- Grading of inflammatory disease activity in the sacroiliac joints with magnetic resonance imaging: comparison between short-tau inversion recovery and gadolinium contrast-enhanced sequencesKaren Berenth Madsen
Department of Radiology, Aarhus University Hospital NBG, Aarhus, Denmark
J Rheumatol 37:393-400. 2010....
- Emerging drugs for axial spondyloarthritis including ankylosing spondylitisNoemi Busquets-Pérez
Hospital General de Granollers, Department of Medicine, Granollers, Spain
Expert Opin Emerg Drugs 18:71-86. 2013..Only non-steroidal anti-inflammatories (NSAIDs) and TNF inhibitors (TNFi) are effective in ankylosing spondylitis (AS). However, not all patients successfully respond to these drugs and a subset may have contraindications to their use...
- Assessment of active spinal inflammatory changes in patients with axial spondyloarthritis: validation of whole body MRI against conventional MRIUlrich Weber
Department of Rheumatology, Balgrist University Hospital, Forchstrasse 340, Zurich, Switzerland
Ann Rheum Dis 69:648-53. 2010....
- First signs and symptoms of spondyloarthritis--data from an inception cohort with a disease course of two years or less (REGISPONSER-Early)Marena Rojas-Vargas
Rheumatology Department, Hospital Universitario Reina Sofia, HU Reina Sofía, Cordoba, Spain
Rheumatology (Oxford) 48:404-9. 2009..To determine the first signs and symptoms, and the clinical, biological and radiological characteristics of patients with early SpA...
- Validation of whole-body against conventional magnetic resonance imaging for scoring acute inflammatory lesions in the sacroiliac joints of patients with spondylarthritisUlrich Weber
Department of Rheumatology, Balgrist University Hospital, Zurich, Switzerland
Arthritis Rheum 61:893-9. 2009..in assessing acute inflammatory lesions of the sacroiliac (SI) joints in patients with established and active spondylarthritis (SpA) using the Spondyloarthritis Research Consortium of Canada (SPARCC) MRI index...
- Identification of RGS1 as a candidate biomarker for undifferentiated spondylarthritis by genome-wide expression profiling and real-time polymerase chain reactionJieruo Gu
Third Affiliated Hospital of Sun Yat Sen University, Guangzhou, Guangdong, China
Arthritis Rheum 60:3269-79. 2009To compare gene expression profiles between ankylosing spondylitis (AS) and undifferentiated spondylarthritis (uSpA) patients with inflammatory low back pain.
- Defining active sacroiliitis on magnetic resonance imaging (MRI) for classification of axial spondyloarthritis: a consensual approach by the ASAS/OMERACT MRI groupM Rudwaleit
Department of Rheumatology, Charite University Medicine, Campus Benjamin Franklin, Berlin, Germany
Ann Rheum Dis 68:1520-7. 2009..Magnetic resonance imaging (MRI) of sacroiliac joints has evolved as the most relevant imaging modality for diagnosis and classification of early axial spondyloarthritis (SpA) including early ankylosing spondylitis...
- Performance of various criteria sets in patients with inflammatory back pain of short duration; the Maastricht early spondyloarthritis clinicL Heuft-Dorenbosch
Department of Internal Medicine, Division of Rheumatology, University Hospital Maastricht, PO Box 5800, 6202AZ Maastricht, The Netherlands
Ann Rheum Dis 66:92-8. 2007....
- Magnetic resonance imaging grading system for active and chronic spondylarthritis changes in the sacroiliac jointKaren Berenth Madsen
Aarhus University Hospital, Aarhus, Denmark
Arthritis Care Res (Hoboken) 62:11-8. 2010To develop a new grading method to quantify activity and chronic spondylarthritis (SpA) changes in the sacroiliac (SI) joints identified by magnetic resonance imaging (MRI), taking into account the complex joint anatomy, and to compare ..
- MRI of enthesitis of the appendicular skeleton in spondyloarthritisIris Eshed
Department of Radiology, Charite Medical School, Campus Mitte, Chariteplatz 1, 10117 Berlin, Germany
Ann Rheum Dis 66:1553-9. 2007..The MRI appearances of inflammatory and degenerative enthesopathy are described. New options for imaging enthesitis, including whole-body MRI and high-resolution microscopy MRI, are briefly discussed...
- Systemic levels of IL-23 are strongly associated with disease activity in rheumatoid arthritis but not spondyloarthritisLode Melis
Department of Rheumatology, Ghent University Hospital, Belgium
Ann Rheum Dis 69:618-23. 2010..This study aimed to evaluate the role of Th17-associated cytokines in spondyloarthritis pathogenesis by measuring their levels in the joints and circulation as well as correlating them with disease activity parameters...
- International spondyloarthritis interobserver reliability exercise--the INSPIRE study: II. Assessment of peripheral joints, enthesitis, and dactylitisDafna D Gladman
Centre for Prognosis Studies in the Rheumatic Diseases, University of Toronto, Toronto, Ontario, Canada
J Rheumatol 34:1740-5. 2007..To determine whether the assessments of peripheral joints and enthesitis were reproducible for both AS and PsA with axial disease, and whether dactylitis assessment is reproducible in patients with PsA...
- Spondylarthritis in the absence of B lymphocytesDominique Baeten
Clinical Immunology and Rheumatology, Academic Medical Center, University of Amsterdam, Amsterdam, The Netherlands
Arthritis Rheum 58:730-3. 2008..by B cell depletion and the presence of B cells in the peripheral and axial lesions of patients with spondylarthritis (SpA) raise the question as to whether B lymphocytes could also be an appropriate therapeutic target in the ..
- Clinical and imaging efficacy of infliximab in HLA-B27-Positive patients with magnetic resonance imaging-determined early sacroiliitisNick Barkham
University of Leeds, Leeds, UK
Arthritis Rheum 60:946-54. 2009..To evaluate the efficacy of infliximab in HLA-B27-positive patients with magnetic resonance imaging (MRI)-determined early sacroiliitis, using both clinical and MRI assessments...
- Enthesitis of proximal insertion of the deltoid in the course of seronegative spondyloarthritis. An atypical enthesitis that can mime impingement syndromePaolo Falsetti
Institute of Rheumatology, University of Siena, Policlinico Le Scotte, Viale Bracci, IT 53100 Siena, Italy
Scand J Rheumatol 31:158-62. 2002..To study the frequence of deltoideal proximal insertion enthesitis (DPIE) in patients affected with spondyloarthritis (SpA) and to evaluate its clinical, sonographic and radiological characteristics...
- Spinal changes in patients with spondyloarthritis: comparison of MR imaging and radiographic appearancesKay Geert A Hermann
Department of Radiology, Charite Medical School, Campus Mitte, Schumannstrasse 20 21, 10117 Berlin, Germany
Radiographics 25:559-69; discussion 569-70. 2005..Classification of the different findings based on the typical signal-intensity changes seen on MR images enables standardized reporting, and scoring the lesions may be helpful in clinical trials...
- Enthesitis of spondylarthritis can masquerade as Osgood-Schlatter disease by radiographic findingsIgnazio Olivieri
Arthritis Rheum 49:147-8. 2003
- The current concept of spondyloarthritis with special emphasis on undifferentiated spondyloarthritisJ Zochling
Rheumazentrum Ruhrgebiet, St Josefs Krankenhaus, Landgrafenstrasse 15, 44652 Herne, Germany
Rheumatology (Oxford) 44:1483-91. 2005
- [Magnetic resonance tomography of sacroiliitis: anatomy, histological pathology, MR-morphology, and grading]K G A Hermann
Institut fur Radiologie, Charite Universitatsmedizin Berlin, Campus Charite Mitte
Radiologe 44:217-28. 2004..Values of the 4 quadrants are summed to an activity score (range 0-16). The new grading system is proposed to facilitate the examination and shorten image interpretation time...
- Enthesis inflammation in recurrent acute anterior uveitis without spondylarthritisSantiago Muñoz-Fernández
Hospital Universitario La Paz, Madrid, Spain
Arthritis Rheum 60:1985-90. 2009To investigate whether patients with idiopathic recurrent acute anterior uveitis (AAU) have enthesis alterations comparable with those in patients with spondylarthritis (SpA).
- Progress in spondylarthritis. Spondyloarthritis: lessons from imagingWalter P Maksymowych
Department of Medicine, University of Alberta, Edmonton, Alberta T6G 2S2, Canada
Arthritis Res Ther 11:222. 2009..Ultrasound may be the preferred approach to the assessment of peripheral inflammation, especially enthesitis. Scintigraphy and computed tomography offer few advantages over MRI...
- Role of whole-body magnetic resonance imaging in diagnosing early spondyloarthritisAnn Kathrin Mager
Department of Radiology, Charite Universitatsmedizin Berlin, Campus Mitte, Chariteplatz 1, 10117 Berlin, Germany
Eur J Radiol 71:182-8. 2009..The focus of this review is on MRI findings at both the axial and the appendicular skeleton and the technical feasibility of whole-body MRI in the clinical setting...
- Ultrasound imaging for the rheumatologist. XXII. Achilles tendon involvement in spondyloarthritis. A multi-centre study using high frequency volumetric probeA Iagnocco
Cattedra di Reumatologia, Sapienza Universita di Roma, Italy
Clin Exp Rheumatol 27:547-51. 2009..Our study for the first time demonstrated that 3D US is a valid imaging modality for the assessment of Achilles tendon enthesitis...
- Identification of synovial biomarkers of response to experimental treatment in early-phase clinical trials in spondylarthritisElli Kruithof
Ghent University Hospital, Ghent, Belgium
Arthritis Rheum 54:1795-804. 2006To identify biomarkers for effective treatment in early-phase clinical trials of spondylarthritis (SpA), by analyzing which synovial features can be reliably identified in patients with SpA.
- Late-onset ankylosing spondylitis and spondylarthritis: an update on clinical manifestations, differential diagnosis and pharmacological therapiesEric Toussirot
Department of Rheumatology, University Hospital Jean Minjoz, Besancon, France
Drugs Aging 27:523-31. 2010Ankylosing spondylitis (AS) and spondylarthritis (SpA) are generally observed in young male patients but can be diagnosed in the elderly. These cases correspond to late-onset or late-diagnosed AS or SpA...
- Survival of TNF antagonists in spondylarthritis is better than in rheumatoid arthritis. Data from the Spanish registry BIOBADASERLoreto Carmona
Research Unit, Spanish Society of Rheumatology, Madrid, Spain Marques de Duero 5, 28001 Madrid, Spain
Arthritis Res Ther 8:R72. 2006..survival and safety of infliximab, etanercept, and adalimumab (tumor necrosis factor [TNF] antagonists) in spondylarthritis (SpA) with those of rheumatoid arthritis (RA)...
- Clinical significance of inflammatory back pain for diagnosis and screening of patients with axial spondyloarthritisJuergen Braun
Correspondence to Professor Juergen Braun, Rheumazentrum Ruhrgebiet, Herne D 44652, Germany
Ann Rheum Dis 69:1264-8. 2010..The value of IBP for diagnosis of SpA increases in the presence of other more or less sensitive and specific features of SpA such as response to exercise and physical therapy and/or treatment with non-steroidal anti-inflammatory agents...
- The early disease stage in axial spondylarthritis: results from the German Spondyloarthritis Inception CohortMartin Rudwaleit
Charité Medical University Hospital, Campus Benjamin Franklin, and German Rheumatism Research Centre, Berlin, Germany
Arthritis Rheum 60:717-27. 2009..whether patients without definite radiographically defined sacroiliitis, referred to as nonradiographic axial spondylarthritis (SpA), are different from patients with AS with regard to clinical manifestations and disease activity ..
- The abundant synovial expression of the RANK/RANKL/Osteoprotegerin system in peripheral spondylarthritis is partially disconnected from inflammationBernard Vandooren
Academic Medical Center University of Amsterdam, Amsterdam, The Netherlands
Arthritis Rheum 58:718-29. 2008b>Spondylarthritis (SpA) and rheumatoid arthritis (RA) have different patterns of bone damage, with more pronounced bone erosions in RA...
- Mediation of the proinflammatory cytokine response in rheumatoid arthritis and spondylarthritis by interactions between fibroblast-like synoviocytes and natural killer cellsAntoni Chan
Medical Research Council Human Immunology Unit, Weatherall Institute of Molecular Medicine, John Radcliffe Hospital, Oxford, UK
Arthritis Rheum 58:707-17. 2008..We have previously shown evidence of an expanded activated population of natural killer (NK) cells in spondylarthritis (SpA) patients...
- Histopathologic changes at "synovio-entheseal complexes" suggesting a novel mechanism for synovitis in osteoarthritis and spondylarthritisMichael Benjamin
Cardiff University, Cardiff, UK
Arthritis Rheum 56:3601-9. 2007..To determine the extent to which different entheses form part of a "synovio-entheseal complex" (SEC) and whether such SECs are commonly associated with the presence of inflammatory cells and evidence of enthesis microdamage...
- Conundrums in nosology: synovitis, acne, pustulosis, hyperostosis, and osteitis syndrome and spondylarthritisG Rohekar
The Arthritis Center of Excellence, Toronto Western Research Institute, Toronto Western Hospital, Toronto, Ontario, Canada
Arthritis Rheum 55:665-9. 2006
- Inhibition of osteoclasts does not prevent joint ankylosis in a mouse model of spondyloarthritisR J U Lories
Division of Rheumatology, Department of Musculoskeletal Sciences, Katholieke Universiteit Leuven, Leuven, Belgium
Rheumatology (Oxford) 47:605-8. 2008..We tested whether inhibition of bone erosion by targeting osteoclasts, would prevent or influence joint ankylosis in a mouse model...
- Distinct topography of erosion and new bone formation in achilles tendon enthesitis: implications for understanding the link between inflammation and bone formation in spondylarthritisDennis McGonagle
University of Leeds and Chapel Allerton Hospital, Leeds, UK
Arthritis Rheum 58:2694-9. 2008This study combined ultrasonography of the Achilles tendon enthesis at different stages of spondylarthritis (SpA) with microanatomic studies of normal cadaveric entheses, with the aim of exploring the relationship between bone erosion and ..
- Lack of association between Tenascin-C gene and spondyloarthritisE Zinovieva
Institut Cochin, INSERM U567, CNRS UMR8104, Paris, France
Rheumatology (Oxford) 47:1655-8. 2008..The objectives of the present study were to identify TNC polymorphisms, and to examine their putative association with SpA...
- Correlation between dendritic cell functional defect and spondylarthritis phenotypes in HLA-B27/HUMAN beta2-microglobulin-transgenic rat linesIngrid Fert
Institut Cochin, INSERM U567, CNRS UMR8104, IFR 116, Universite Paris Descartes, Paris, France
Arthritis Rheum 58:3425-9. 2008To examine the functional capacity of dendritic cells (DCs) from a panel of HLA-B27/human beta2-microglobulin (Hubeta2m)-transgenic rat lines and crosses with varying susceptibilities to spondylarthritis (SpA)-like disease.
- How to evaluate and improve the reliability of power Doppler ultrasonography for assessing enthesitis in spondylarthritisMaria Antonietta d'Agostino
Universite de Versailles St Quentin en Yvelines, Assistance Publique Hopitaux de Paris, Ambroise Pare Hospital, Boulogne Billancourt, Paris, France
Arthritis Rheum 61:61-9. 2009..To evaluate and improve the reliability of power Doppler ultrasonography (PDUS) for detecting and scoring enthesitis in patients with spondylarthitis, using a 3-step procedure...
- Chlamydiae as etiologic agents in chronic undifferentiated spondylarthritisJohn D Carter
University of South Florida College of Medicine, Tampa, FL 33612, USA
Arthritis Rheum 60:1311-6. 2009..The aim of the present study was to assess the prevalence of synovial Chlamydia trachomatis and Chlamydia pneumoniae infections in patients with chronic undifferentiated spondylarthritis (uSpA).
- Spondylarthritis in HLA-B27/human beta2-microglobulin-transgenic rats is not prevented by lack of CD8Joel D Taurog
University of Texas Southwestern Medical Center, Dallas, TX 75390 8884, USA
Arthritis Rheum 60:1977-84. 2009HLA-B27 predisposes to spondylarthritis by an unknown mechanism. A logical candidate mechanism is through recognition of B27 by CD8+ T cells...
- Absence of a classically activated macrophage cytokine signature in peripheral spondylarthritis, including psoriatic arthritisBernard Vandooren
Academic Medical Center, University of Amsterdam, Amsterdam, The Netherlands
Arthritis Rheum 60:966-75. 2009Peripheral spondylarthritis (SpA) is characterized by macrophages that express CD163, a marker of alternative activation (M2)...
- Increased numbers of circulating polyfunctional Th17 memory cells in patients with seronegative spondylarthritidesCamilla Jandus
Ludwig Institute for Cancer Research, University Hospital CHUV, Lausanne, Switzerland
Arthritis Rheum 58:2307-17. 2008..The purpose of this study was to assess the frequency and functional properties of Th17 cells in healthy donors and in patients with different autoimmune diseases...
- REGULATION OF INFLAMMATORY RESPONSESAndreas Reimold; Fiscal Year: 2002..This knowledge will be applied to the HTLV-1-transgenic mouse model of rheumatoid arthritis to assess if a dominant-negative mutant of hXBP-1 reduces joint inflammation. ..
- HLA-B27 and Experimental SpondyloarthropathyJOEL TAUROG; Fiscal Year: 2009..Overall, the project should contribute substantially to resolving several important issues about the role of HLA-B27 and innate immunity in chronic inflammatory disease. ..
- FAMILY STUDIES OF THE GENETICS OF ANKYLOSING SPONDYLITISJohn Reveille; Fiscal Year: 2003..abstract_text> ..
- Spondyloarthritis 2006; The Unmet NeedsJohn Reveille; Fiscal Year: 2006..unreadable] [unreadable] [unreadable] [unreadable]..
- Role of T Cells in Experimental SpondyloarthropathyJOEL TAUROG; Fiscal Year: 2002..These experiments will examine directly the effect of Tap2a on the B27 peptide repertoire and on disease manifestations. ..
- BASIC AND CLINICAL RHEUMATOLOGYJOEL TAUROG; Fiscal Year: 2005..Simmons Arthritis Research Center, University of Texas Southwestern Medical Center. ..
- Genetic Determinants of Ankylosing Spondylitis SeverityMichael Weisman; Fiscal Year: 2005..abstract_text> ..
- Investigation of Nod2: Implications for UveitisHolly Rosenzweig; Fiscal Year: 2008..Together, these studies will provide valuable new information on how Nod2 is involved in autoimmunity and the pathogeneis of uveitis. ..
- A Genetic Model of UveitisTAMMY MARTIN; Fiscal Year: 2006..Both transgenic mice and transgenic mice crossed with NOD2 knock-out mice will be studied. [unreadable] [unreadable] [unreadable]..
- Compressed Autoantibody Induction Heralding AutoimmunityAndreas Reimold; Fiscal Year: 2006..The gene expression signatures of autoantibody induction that emerges from this study will characterize the earliest stages of autoimmune disease induction. ..
- HLA-B27 Misfolding in Spondyloarthropathy PathogenesisRobert Colbert; Fiscal Year: 2005....
- Analysis of Genetic Susceptibility to Anterior UveitisTAMMY MARTIN; Fiscal Year: 2009..Specific Aim 3: To identify specific candidate gene mutations by using SNP marker analysis, by comparative DNA sequencing and by denaturing HPLC analysis. ..