Genomes and Genes
Summary: Abnormally increased convexity in the curvature of the thoracic spine as viewed from the side. (Dorland, 27th ed)
Publications357 found, 100 shown here
- Hyperkyphotic posture and risk of injurious falls in older persons: the Rancho Bernardo StudyDeborah M Kado
David Geffen School of Medicine, Los Angeles, CA 90095, USA
J Gerontol A Biol Sci Med Sci 62:652-7. 2007..Improved identification of those at risk for falls could lead to effective interventions. Because hyperkyphotic posture is associated with impaired physical functioning, we hypothesized that kyphosis may also be associated with falls.
- Hyperkyphosis predicts mortality independent of vertebral osteoporosis in older womenDeborah M Kado
University of California, Los Angeles, Los Angeles, California, USA
Ann Intern Med 150:681-7. 2009Excessive kyphosis may be associated with earlier mortality, but previous studies have not controlled for clinically silent vertebral fractures, which are a known mortality risk factor.
- Osteoporosis-related kyphosis and impairments in pulmonary function: a systematic reviewRobyn A Harrison
Department of Medicine, University of Alberta, Edmonton, Canada
J Bone Miner Res 22:447-57. 2007We conducted a systematic review to examine the relationship between osteoporotic vertebral fractures, kyphosis, and pulmonary function. Findings suggest modest but predictable declines in vital capacity related to the degree of kyphosis...
- Biplanar measurement of thoracolumbar curvature in older adults using an electromagnetic tracking deviceDevinder K Singh
Clinical Research Centre for Health Professions, University of Brighton, Brighton, UK
Arch Phys Med Rehabil 91:137-42. 2010..Singh DK, Bailey M, Lee R. Biplanar measurement of thoracolumbar curvature in older adults using an electromagnetic tracking device...
- Local kyphosis reduces surgical outcomes of expansive open-door laminoplasty for cervical spondylotic myelopathyKota Suda
Department of Orthopaedic Surgery, Hokkaido University Graduate School of Medicine, Sapporo, Japan
Spine (Phila Pa 1976) 28:1258-62. 2003..This retrospective study analyzed the effects of cervical alignment on surgical results of expansive laminoplasty (ELAP) for cervical spondylotic myelopathy (CSM)...
- Restoration of thoracic kyphosis by posterior instrumentation in adolescent idiopathic scoliosis: comparative radiographic analysis of two methods of reductionJean Luc Clement
Department of Pediatric Orthopaedic Surgery and Scoliosis Surgery, Hospital Lenval, Nice, France
Spine (Phila Pa 1976) 33:1579-87. 2008....
- Postlaminectomy kyphosisT J Albert
Thomas Jefferson University, Rothman Institute, Philadelphia, Pennsylvania, USA
Spine (Phila Pa 1976) 23:2738-45. 1998Postlaminectomy kyphosis is a rare but potentially catastrophic complication of laminectomy performed to treat cervical myelopathy...
- Hyperkyphotic posture predicts mortality in older community-dwelling men and women: a prospective studyDeborah M Kado
Division of Geriatrics, Department of Medicine, David Geffen School of Medicine at University of California, Los Angeles, California 90095, USA
J Am Geriatr Soc 52:1662-7. 2004..To determine the association between hyperkyphotic posture and rate of mortality and cause-specific mortality in older persons...
- Comparison of anterior and posterior instrumentation for correction of adolescent thoracic idiopathic scoliosisR R Betz
Shriners Hospital, Philadelphia, Pennsylvania, USA
Spine (Phila Pa 1976) 24:225-39. 1999..T5 to T12 greater than 40 degrees) occurred after surgery in 40% of the anterior group when the preoperative kyphosis was greater than 20 degrees. Postoperative coronal balance was equal in both groups. An average of 2...
- Balance disorder and increased risk of falls in osteoporosis and kyphosis: significance of kyphotic posture and muscle strengthMehrsheed Sinaki
Department of Physical Medicine and Rehabilitation, Mayo Clinic, Rochester, MN 55905, USA
Osteoporos Int 16:1004-10. 2005This controlled trial was designed to investigate the influence of osteoporosis-related kyphosis (O-K) on falls...
- Cervical spondylotic myelopathy associated with kyphosis or sagittal sigmoid alignment: outcome after anterior or posterior decompressionKenzo Uchida
Department of Orthopaedics and Rehabilitation Medicine, Fukui University Faculty of Medical Sciences, Eiheiji, Fukui, Japan
J Neurosurg Spine 11:521-8. 2009..The aim in this study was to determine the effects of kyphotic sagittal alignment of the cervical spine in terms of neurological morbidity and outcome after 2 types of surgical intervention...
- A noninvasive anthropometric technique for measuring kyphosis and lordosis: an application for idiopathic scoliosisM A Leroux
Department of Surgery, Université de Montréal and Sainte Justine Hospital, Montreal, Canada
Spine (Phila Pa 1976) 25:1689-94. 2000..Cross-sectional measurement of the sagittal geometry of adolescent idiopathic scoliosis patients...
- Size of hiatus hernia correlates with severity of kyphosis, not with obesity, in elderly Japanese womenMotoyasu Kusano
Department of Endoscopy and Endoscopic Surgery, Gunma University Hospital, 3 39 15 Showa Machi, Maebashi, Gunma, Japan
J Clin Gastroenterol 42:345-50. 2008To investigate whether there is a relationship between hiatus hernia (HH) and kyphosis or obesity in elderly Japanese persons.
- [Functional rasterstereographic images. A new method for biomechanical analysis of skeletal geometry]B Drerup
Orthopade 30:242-50. 2001..b>Kyphosis and lordosis clearly depend on posture...
- Incidence, risk factors, and natural course of proximal junctional kyphosis: surgical outcomes review of adult idiopathic scoliosis. Minimum 5 years of follow-upMitsuru Yagi
Department of Orthopedic Surgery, National Hospital Organization Murayama Medical Center, Tokyo, Japan
Spine (Phila Pa 1976) 37:1479-89. 2012..A retrospective case series of surgically treated patients with adult scoliosis...
- Kyphosis recurrence after posterior short-segment fixation in thoracolumbar burst fracturesXiang yang Wang
Department of Orthopaedic Surgery, Xinhua Hospital, Shanghai Jiaotong University School of Medicine, Shanghai, China
J Neurosurg Spine 8:246-54. 2008Recurrent kyphosis has been commonly seen after posterior short-segment pedicle instrumentation for a thoracolumbar fracture, but studies on this issue are relatively scarce, and the clinical significance of recurrent deformity is ..
- Standing balance and sagittal plane spinal deformity: analysis of spinopelvic and gravity line parametersVirginie Lafage
NYU Hospital for Joint Diseases, New York, NY10010, USA
Spine (Phila Pa 1976) 33:1572-8. 2008..Prospective study of 131 patients and volunteers recruited for an analysis of spinal alignment and gravity line (GL) assessment by force plate analysis...
- Normal patterns of sagittal alignment of the spine in young adults radiological analysis in a Korean populationChong Suh Lee
Department of Orthopaedic Surgery, Samsung Medical Center, Sungkyunkwan University School of Medicine, Seoul, Republic of Korea
Spine (Phila Pa 1976) 36:E1648-54. 2011..Radiological analysis and classification of normal patterns of sagittal alignment of the spine...
- Induction of SHP2 deficiency in chondrocytes causes severe scoliosis and kyphosis in miceHarry K W Kim
Texas Scottish Rite Hospital for Children, Dallas, TX Orthopaedic Surgery, University of Texas Southwestern Medical Center, Dallas, TX Department of Pathology, and Division of Biological Sciences, University of California San Diego, La Jolla, CA Department of Biochemistry, Rush University Medical Center, Chicago, IL and Department of Microbiology and Immunology, University of Michigan Medical School, Ann Arbor, MI
Spine (Phila Pa 1976) 38:E1307-12. 2013..Genetic engineering techniques were used to develop an animal model of juvenile scoliosis during a postnatal skeletal-growth stage...
- Age-related hyperkyphosis, independent of spinal osteoporosis, is associated with impaired mobility in older community-dwelling womenW B Katzman
University of California, San Francisco, UCSF Box 0625, San Francisco, CA 94143 0625
Osteoporos Int 22:85-90. 2011..Hyperyphosis is associated with slower Timed Up and Go performance times and may be a useful clinical marker signaling the need for evaluation of vertebral fracture and falling risk...
- Significant reduction in risk of falls and back pain in osteoporotic-kyphotic women through a Spinal Proprioceptive Extension Exercise Dynamic (SPEED) programMehrsheed Sinaki
Department of Physical Medicine and Rehabilitation, Mayo Clinic College of Medicine, Rochester, Minn 55905, USA
Mayo Clin Proc 80:849-55. 2005..a spinal weighted kypho-orthosis (WKO) and a spinal proprioceptive extension exercise dynamic (SPEED) program on the risk of falls in ambulatory community-dwelling persons older than 60 years with osteoporosis-kyphosis at risk for falls.
- Surgical treatment of kyphosis in children in healed stages of spinal tuberculosisZhou Chunguang
Department of Orthopedics, West China Hospital of Sichuan University, Chengdu, Sichuan, China
J Pediatr Orthop 30:271-6. 2010Very less literature focuses on the treatment of kyphosis in healed stages of spinal tuberculosis (TB), especially in children...
- Proximal junctional kyphosis in adult spinal deformity after segmental posterior spinal instrumentation and fusion: minimum five-year follow-upYongjung J Kim
Washington University Medical Center, St Louis, Missouri, USA
Spine (Phila Pa 1976) 33:2179-84. 2008..A retrospective study...
- Sagittal plane correction in idiopathic scoliosisTamás de Jonge
University of Pecs, Faculty of Medicine, Department of Orthopedic Surgery, Pecs, Hungary
Spine (Phila Pa 1976) 27:754-60. 2002..Patients with idiopathic scoliosis who had undergone posterior fusion by means of posterior multisegmented hook instrumentation were studied retrospectively...
- Single-stage closing-opening wedge osteotomy of spine to correct severe post-tubercular kyphotic deformities of the spine: a 3-year follow-up of 17 patientsS Rajasekaran
Department of Orthopaedics and Spine Surgery, Ganga Hospital, 313, Mettupalayam Road, Coimbatore, 641011 Tamil Nadu, India
Eur Spine J 19:583-92. 2010The correction of severe post-tubercular kyphosis (PTK) is complex and has the disadvantage of being multiple staged with a high morbidity...
- Differences in thoracic kyphosis and in back muscle strength in women with bone loss due to osteoporosisAnna Mika
Department of Rehabilitation, Academy of Physical Education, Krakow, Poland
Spine (Phila Pa 1976) 30:241-6. 2005..Cross-sectional...
- Interrater and intrarater reliability in the measurement of kyphosis in postmenopausal women with osteoporosisK M Lundon
Department of Physical Therapy, University of Toronto, Canada
Spine (Phila Pa 1976) 23:1978-85. 1998..To determine the most reliable, cost-effective, noninvasive, and clinically feasible method of measuring spinal kyphosis. SUMMARY OF BACKGROUND DATA: The most clinically useful, noninvasive and reliable method of measuring postural ..
- Surgical management of severe rigid tuberculous kyphosis of dorsolumbar spineMyung Sang Moon
Department of Orthopaedic Surgery, Cheju Halla General Hospital, 1963 2, Yeon dong, Jeju, 690 766, Korea
Int Orthop 35:75-81. 2011..Average preoperative kyphosis in group A was 88° and postoperative at zero, three, six, and 18 months were 29˚, 33˚, 35˚ and 35˚, ..
- The surgical management of congenital kyphosis and kyphoscoliosisM J McMaster
Edinburgh Spine Deformity Centre, Princess Margaret Rose Orthopaedic Hospital, Edinburgh, UK
Spine (Phila Pa 1976) 26:2146-54; discussion 2155. 2001A retrospective study of surgery for congenital kyphosis and kyphoscoliosis.
- Kyphosis does not equal vertebral fractures: the Rancho Bernardo studyDiane L Schneider
Department of Medicine, University of California San Diego, La Jolla, California 92093, USA
J Rheumatol 31:747-52. 2004b>Kyphosis is considered a clinical sign of osteoporotic vertebral fractures. We examined the association of radiographically defined kyphosis with vertebral fractures to determine if this belief was true.
- Scoliosis correction with pedicle screws in Duchenne muscular dystrophyFrederik Hahn
Department of Orthopaedics, Balgrist Clinic, University of Zurich, Forchstrasse 340, CH 8008, Zurich, Switzerland
Eur Spine J 17:255-61. 2008..Lumbar lordosis improved significantly from 20 degrees to 49 degrees, thoracic kyphosis remained unchanged. No problems related to iliac fixation, no pseudarthrosis or implant failures were observed...
- The natural history of congenital scoliosis and kyphosisDavid S Marks
Royal Orthopaedic Hospital, Northfield, Birmingham, England
Spine (Phila Pa 1976) 34:1751-5. 2009..Review article...
- Hyperkyphotic posture and poor physical functional ability in older community-dwelling men and women: the Rancho Bernardo studyDeborah M Kado
Division of Geriatrics, Department of Medicine, David Geffen School of Medicine at UCLA, 10945 Le Conte Ave, Suite 2339, Los Angeles, CA, USA
J Gerontol A Biol Sci Med Sci 60:633-7. 2005..Our study objective was to determine the association between hyperkyphotic posture and physical functional limitations...
- Mutation analysis of the PLOD1 gene: an efficient multistep approach to the molecular diagnosis of the kyphoscoliotic type of Ehlers-Danlos syndrome (EDS VIA)Cecilia Giunta
Division of Metabolism and Molecular Pediatrics, University Children s Hospital, CH 8032 Zurich, Switzerland
Mol Genet Metab 86:269-76. 2005..Ala667Thr, and p.His706Arg), four patients were homozygous for the common duplication of exons 10-16, one patient was compound heterozygous for the common duplication and p.Ile454IlefsX2, and one patient was homozygous for p.Arg319X...
- Sagittal morphology and equilibrium of pelvis and spineG Vaz
Service du Docteur Roussouly, Centre Medico Chirurgical des Massues, Lyon, France
Eur Spine J 11:80-7. 2002..The spinal parameters registered were values for thoracic kyphosis and lumbar lordosis. The pelvic angles measured were: pelvic incidence, sacral slope and pelvic tilt...
- Yoga decreases kyphosis in senior women and men with adult-onset hyperkyphosis: results of a randomized controlled trialGail A Greendale
Division of Geriatrics, Geffen School of Medicine, University of California at Los Angeles, 10945 Le Conte Avenue, Suite 2339, Los Angeles, CA 90095, USA
J Am Geriatr Soc 57:1569-79. 2009..To assess whether a specifically designed yoga intervention can reduce hyperkyphosis...
- Thoracic kyphosis, rib mobility, and lung volumes in normal women and women with osteoporosisE G Culham
School of Rehabilitation Therapy, Faculty of Medicine, Queen s University, Kingston, Ontario, Canada
Spine (Phila Pa 1976) 19:1250-5. 1994STUDY DESIGN. Lung volumes and rib mobility were measured in 15 women with kyphosis resulting from spinal osteoporosis and in 15 healthy women. OBJECTIVES...
- Impact of spinal kyphosis on gastroesophageal reflux disease symptoms in patients with osteoporosisN Miyakoshi
Division of Orthopedic Surgery, Department of Neuro and Locomotor Science, Akita University School of Medicine, Akita, Japan
Osteoporos Int 20:1193-8. 2009Spinal kyphosis has been speculated to participate in the increased frequency of gastroesophageal reflux disease (GERD) in patients with osteoporosis...
- Rehabilitation using manual mobilization for thoracic kyphosis in elderly postmenopausal patients with osteoporosisIvan Bautmans
Frailty in Ageing FRIA Research Department, Vrije Universiteit Brussel, Laarbeeklaan 103, BE 1090 Brussels, Belgium
J Rehabil Med 42:129-35. 2010..To explore the feasibility and effects of rehabilitation using manual mobilization of the thoracic spine in elderly female patients with osteoporosis...
- Sagittal profile of the elderlyE Mark Hammerberg
University of Minnesota, Minneapolis 55455, USA
J Spinal Disord Tech 16:44-50. 2003..Measurements included segmental angulations, kyphosis, lordosis, and C7 plumb line balance...
- Resting position variables at the shoulder: evidence to support a posture-impairment associationJohn D Borstad
Physical Therapy Division, Ohio State University, 516 Atwell Hall, 453 W Tenth Ave, Columbus, OH 43210, USA
Phys Ther 86:549-57. 2006..The purpose of this analysis was to explore the relationships among posture, pectoralis minor muscle length, and movement alterations at the shoulder...
- Vertebral coplanar alignment: a standardized technique for three dimensional correction in scoliosis surgery: technical description and preliminary results in Lenke type 1 curvesGabriel Pizà Vallespir
Servicio de Cirugía Ortopédica y Traumatología Infantil, Hospital Universitari Son Dureta, Palma de Mallorca, Spain
Spine (Phila Pa 1976) 33:1588-97. 2008..Prospective multicentric study...
- Spinal stenosis above a healed tuberculous kyphosis. A case reportK D Luk
Department of Orthopaedic Surgery, University of Hong Kong, Duchess of Kent Children s Hospital, Hong Kong
Spine (Phila Pa 1976) 21:1098-101. 1996..from cord compression in the hyperlordotic thoracic or thoracolumbar spine proximal to a healed tuberculous kyphosis. OBJECTIVES...
- Posterior-only multilevel modified vertebral column resection for extremely severe Pott's kyphotic deformityYan Wang
Department of Orthopaedics, Chinese PLA General Hospital, Beijing, PR China
Eur Spine J 18:1436-41. 2009..modified vertebral column resection (MVCR) through a single posterior approach for surgical treatment of Pott's kyphosis with Konstam's angle beyond 90 degrees...
- Proximal junctional kyphosis in adult spinal deformity following long instrumented posterior spinal fusion: incidence, outcomes, and risk factor analysisR Chris Glattes
Department of Orthopaedic Surgery, Washington University School of Medicine, St Louis, Missouri 63110, USA
Spine (Phila Pa 1976) 30:1643-9. 2005To analyze patient outcomes and risk factors associated with proximal junctional kyphosis (PJK) in adults undergoing long posterior spinal fusion.
- Impact of postural deformities and spinal mobility on quality of life in postmenopausal osteoporosisN Miyakoshi
Department of Orthopedic Surgery, Akita University School of Medicine, 1 1 1 Hondo, 010 8543, Akita, Japan
Osteoporos Int 14:1007-12. 2003..five groups according to their postural deformities: round back (RB, n=41), hollow round back (HRB, n=33), whole kyphosis (WK, n=40), lower acute kyphosis (LAK, n=18), and normal posture (NP, n=25)...
- Measurement of spinal sagittal configuration and mobility with Debrunner's kyphometerG Ohlen
Department of Orthopaedic Surgery, Huddinge University Hospital, Karolinska Institute, Stockholm, Sweden
Spine (Phila Pa 1976) 14:580-3. 1989..These studies showed good reproducibility for measurements with the kyphometer. The importance of standardized instructions for measurement procedures is emphasized. The statistical approach to repeatability of measurements is discussed...
- Effects of thoracic kyphosis and forward head posture on cervical range of motion in older adultsJune Quek
Department of Physiotherapy, Singapore General Hospital, Outram Road, Singapore 169608, Singapore
Man Ther 18:65-71. 2013It is unclear how age-related postural changes such as thoracic spine kyphosis influence cervical range-of-motion (ROM) in patients with cervical spine dysfunction...
- The natural history of post-tubercular kyphosis in children. Radiological signs which predict late increase in deformityS Rajasekaran
Tuberculosis Research Centre, Chennai and Ganga Medical Centre, Coimbatore, India
J Bone Joint Surg Br 83:954-62. 2001The progression of post-tubercular kyphosis in 61 children who received ambulatory chemotherapy was studied prospectively...
- Posterior vertebral column resection for the treatment of dystrophic kyphosis associated with type-1 neurofibromatosis: a case report and review of the literatureGeoffrey E Stoker
Department of Orthopaedic Surgery, Washington University School of Medicine, St Louis, MO 63110, USA
Spine (Phila Pa 1976) 37:E1659-64. 2012..Case report...
- Factors associated with kyphosis progression in older women: 15 years' experience in the study of osteoporotic fracturesDeborah M Kado
UCLA Orthopaedic Hospital, Department of Orthopaedic Surgery, and the Orthopaedic Hospital Research Center, Los Angeles, CA, USA
J Bone Miner Res 28:179-87. 2013..To identify important correlates of kyphosis and risk factors for its progression over time, we conducted a 15-year retrospective cohort study of 1196 women, ..
- A conceptual and disease model framework for osteoporotic kyphosisM Bayliss
QualityMetric, OptumInsight, 34 Albion Road, Bldg 400, Lincoln, RI 02865, USA
Osteoporos Int 24:2423-32. 2013..multi-method research project to develop a conceptual framework for measuring outcomes in studies of osteoporotic kyphosis. The research involved literature research and qualitative interviews among clinicians who treat patients with ..
- An autosomal recessive syndrome of severe mental retardation, cataract, coloboma and kyphosis maps to the pericentromeric region of chromosome 4Kimia Kahrizi
Genetics Research Center, University of Social Welfare and Rehabilitation Sciences, Tehran, Iran
Eur J Hum Genet 17:125-8. 2009..The clinical problems comprised severe MR, cataracts with onset in late adolescence, kyphosis, contractures of large joints, bulbous nose with broad nasal bridge, and thick lips...
- Cervical disk arthroplasty versus ACDF for preoperative reducible kyphosisYu Chen
Department of Spine Surgery, Orthopedics Research Institute of the Chinese People s Liberation Army, Changzheng Hospital, Second Military Medical University, Shanghai, China
Orthopedics 36:e958-65. 2013..However, whether and when cervical disk arthroplasty is indicated for preoperative cervical spine kyphosis is unclear...
- Sagittal plane analysis of the spine and pelvis in adolescent idiopathic scoliosis according to the coronal curve typeJean Marc Mac-Thiong
Faculty of Medicine, Universite de Montreal, Canada
Spine (Phila Pa 1976) 28:1404-9. 2003..A retrospective study investigated the sagittal alignment in adolescent idiopathic scoliosis (AIS)...
- Kyphoplasty reduction of osteoporotic vertebral compression fractures: correction of local kyphosis versus overall sagittal alignmentBen B Pradhan
The Spine Institute at Saint John s Health Center, Santa Monica, CA 90404, USA
Spine (Phila Pa 1976) 31:435-41. 2006..A retrospective study of patients who underwent 1-3-level kyphoplasty procedures at a single institute...
- Realignment of postoperative cervical kyphosis in children by vertebral remodelingY Toyama
Department of Orthopaedic Surgery, School of Medicine, Keio University, Tokyo, Japan
Spine (Phila Pa 1976) 19:2565-70. 1994..8 years. The alignment of the cervical spine was classified into four groups (lordosis, straight, kyphosis, and swan-neck deformity)...
- [Parkinson's disease, progressive lumbar kyphosis and focal paraspinal myositis]P Charpentier
Clinique Neurologique, Centre Hospitalier Regional et Universitaire, Lille
Rev Neurol (Paris) 161:459-63. 2005..Clinical case. We describe a typical case observed in a parkinsonian patient. The MRI, electromyogram and biopsy of the paraspinal muscles revealed a typical myositis pattern...
- Postural stability and body posture in older women: comparison between fallers and non-fallersBozena Ostrowska
Department of Physiotherapy in Musculoskeletal Dysfunction, University School of Physical Education, Warsaw
Ortop Traumatol Rehabil 10:486-95. 2008..The study aimed to compare characteristics of postural sway and shape of anteroposterior spinal curvatures in faller and non-faller elderly women...
- Progression of kyphosis in mdx miceNicola Laws
Centre for Biomedical Research, Faculty of Sciences, Univ of Southern Queensland, Toowoomba, QLD, Australia 4350
J Appl Physiol (1985) 97:1970-7. 2004Spinal deformity in the form of kyphosis or kyphoscoliosis occurs in most patients with Duchenne muscular dystrophy (DMD), a fatal X-linked disorder caused by an absence of the subsarcolemmal protein dystrophin...
- [Loss of correction after dorsal stabilization of burst fractures of the thoracolumbar junction. The role of transpedicular spongiosa plasty]B Wälchli
Universitätsklinik für Orthopädische Chirurgie, Balgrist, Zurich, Schweiz
Unfallchirurg 104:742-7. 2001..Radiological measurements showed a significant loss of correction for all three measured angles (vertebral kyphosis, unisegmental kyphosis and bisegmental kyphosis) in both groups...
- Risk factor analysis of proximal junctional kyphosis after posterior fusion in patients with idiopathic scoliosisJingjie Wang
Department of Orthopaedic Surgery, Yantai Shan Hospital, Yantai City, China
Injury 41:415-20. 2010..A retrospective analysis of 150 adolescents who underwent spinal fusion for idiopathic scoliosis...
- How does thoracic kyphosis affect patient outcomes in growing rod surgery?Samuel R Schroerlucke
San Diego Center for Spinal Disorders, La Jolla, CA, USA
Spine (Phila Pa 1976) 37:1303-9. 2012..Retrospective review of a multicenter series...
- Kyphectomy for congenital kyphosis due to meningomyelocele: a case treated with a modified approach to skin healingKamil Cagri Kose
Orthopedics and Traumatology, Sakarya University Faculty of Medicine, Sakarya 05400, Turkey
Int Wound J 9:311-5. 2012This study is a case report of a meningomyelocele patient with congenital kyphosis who was treated with kyphectomy and a special approach to soft tissue healing...
- The reliability and validity of three non-radiological measures of thoracic kyphosis and their relations to the standing radiological Cobb angleG A Greendale
Division of Geriatrics, David Geffen School of Medicine, University of California, 10945 Le Conte Avenue, Suite 2339, Los Angeles, CA 90095 1687, USA
Osteoporos Int 22:1897-905. 2011..By showing that three clinical measures of kyphosis are suitable for use in large scale, longitudinal, hyperkyphosis studies, we will facilitate much needed research ..
- The accuracy of clinical kyphosis examination for detection of thoracic vertebral fractures: comparison of direct and indirect kyphosis measuresK Siminoski
Department of Radiology and Diagnostic Imaging, and Division of Endocrinology and Metabolism, University of Alberta, Edmonton, Alberta, Canada
J Musculoskelet Neuronal Interact 11:249-56. 2011..examination maneuvers for detecting the presence of thoracic vertebral fractures (VF) diagnosed by radiography: direct measurement of kyphosis angle (KA, in degrees) and indirect measurement using wall-occiput distance (WOD, in cm).
- Treatment of thoracolumbar burst fractures without neurologic deficit by indirect reduction and posterior instrumentation: bisegmental stabilization with monosegmental fusionU Muller
Department of Orthopedic Surgery, Inselspital, University of Bern, Switzerland
Eur Spine J 8:284-9. 1999..Clinical and radiological outcome was analyzed after an average follow-up of 6.4 years. Re-kyphosis of the entire segment including the cephaled disc was significant with loss of the entire postoperative ..
- Comparison between constrained and non-constrained Cobb techniques for the assessment of thoracic kyphosis and lumbar lordosisJean Marc Mac-Thiong
Department of Orthopaedics, Hopital Sainte Justine, 3175 Cote Sainte Catherine, Montreal, Quebec H3T 1C5, Canada
Eur Spine J 16:1325-31. 2007..Thoracic kyphosis (TK) and lumbar lordosis (LL) were measured twice by three observers using both constrained and non-constrained ..
- Goniometer evaluation of thoracic kyphosis and lumbar lordosis in subjects during growth age: a validity studyAristide R Gravina
Rehabilitation Department, University of Padua, Hospital of Padua, Italy
Stud Health Technol Inform 176:247-51. 2012The aim of the present study is to evaluate the validity of a pocket compass needle goniometer (IncliMed®, University of Padua) to measure the thoracic kyphosis and lumbar lordosis in children and adolescent.
- The effect of thoracic kyphosis and sagittal plane alignment on vertebral compressive loadingAlexander G Bruno
Harvard MIT Health Sciences and Technology Program, Cambridge, MA 02215, USA
J Bone Miner Res 27:2144-51. 2012..spinal pathology, we used a previously validated musculoskeletal model of the spine to determine how thoracic kyphosis angle and spinal posture affect vertebral compressive loading...
- Kyphosis and decline in physical function over 15 years in older community-dwelling women: the Study of Osteoporotic FracturesWendy B Katzman
Department of Physical Therapy and Rehabilitation Science, University of California, 1500 Owens St, Suite 400, San Francisco, CA 94158, USA
J Gerontol A Biol Sci Med Sci 68:976-83. 2013..Greater degrees of kyphosis in the thoracic spine are prevalent in older persons and accompanied by reduced physical function in multiple ..
- Thoracic kyphosis associated with hemivertebraPierre Moissonnier
Department of Surgery, Ecole Nationale Veterinaire d Alfort, Maisons Alfort Cedex, France
Vet Surg 40:1029-32. 2011To radiographically assess the influence of thoracic hemivertebra on kyphosis and neurologic status in 45 dogs.
- How to measure kyphosis in everyday clinical practice: a reliability study on different methodsFabio Zaina
Italian Scientific Spine Institute, Milan, Italy
Stud Health Technol Inform 176:264-7. 2012..The sagittal plane measures have a relevant role both in Idiopathic Scoliosis (AIS) and in Hyperkyphosis (HK) management. Nevertheless, clinical tools for everyday use are scarce and not adequately studied...
- Radiographic measures of thoracic kyphosis in osteoporosis: Cobb and vertebral centroid anglesA M Briggs
Centre for Health, Exercise and Sports Medicine, School of Physiotherapy, University of Melbourne, Victoria, 3010, Australia
Skeletal Radiol 36:761-7. 2007Several measures can quantify thoracic kyphosis from radiographs, yet their suitability for people with osteoporosis remains uncertain...
- Restoration of thoracic kyphosis after operative treatment of adolescent idiopathic scoliosis: a multicenter comparison of three surgical approachesDaniel J Sucato
Texas Scottish Rite Hospital for Children, Dallas, TX 75219, USA
Spine (Phila Pa 1976) 33:2630-6. 2008..OBJECTIVE.: To evaluate 3 surgical approaches to determine the modality that has the greatest influence on improving thoracic kyphosis.
- Finite element simulation of spinal deformities correction by in situ contouring techniqueR Dumas
UMR 8005 CNRS ENSAM, Laboratoire de Biomecanique, 151 Boulevard de l Hopital, 75013, Paris, France
Comput Methods Biomech Biomed Engin 8:331-7. 2005..The mean differences were under 5 degrees for vertebral rotations and 5 mm for spinal lines. These simulations open the way for future predictive tools for surgical planning...
- Kyphosis in a Turner syndrome populationDeborah A Elder
Division of Endocrinology, Children s Hospital Medical Center, Cincinnati, Ohio, USA
Pediatrics 109:e93. 2002The purpose of this study was to determine the prevalence of kyphosis in a Turner syndrome (TS) population.
- Elcatonin is effective for lower back pain and the symptoms of gastroesophageal reflux disease in elderly osteoporotic patients with kyphosisYuko Yamane
Yamane Hospital, Shimane, Japan
Geriatr Gerontol Int 11:215-20. 2011Elderly osteoporotic patients with kyphosis tend to be frequently accompanied by the symptoms of gastroesophageal reflux disease (GERD) such as heartburn and acid reflux...
- Prospective evaluation of physical activity in patients with idiopathic scoliosis or kyphosis receiving brace treatmentCarsten Müller
Movement Analysis Lab, Institute of Experimental Musculoskeletal Medicine, University Hospital Munster, Munster, Germany
Eur Spine J 20:1127-36. 2011Bracing is an established method of conservative treatment for adolescent idiopathic scoliosis and kyphosis. Compliance among adolescents is frequently inadequate due to the discomfort of wearing a brace, cosmetic issues, and fear on the ..
- Measurement of thoracolumbar kyphosis after burst fracture: evaluation of intraobserver, interobserver, and variability of 4 measurement methodsJerome G Enad
Uniformed Services University of the Health Sciences, Bethesda, Maryland, USA
Am J Orthop (Belle Mead NJ) 37:E60-3. 2008There are various methods for measuring kyphosis after thoracolumbar burst fracture. The reliability and reproducibility of these methods are not well defined...
- Incidence, risk factors and classification of proximal junctional kyphosis: surgical outcomes review of adult idiopathic scoliosisMitsuru Yagi
Hospital for Special Surgery and National Hospital Organization, Murayama Medical Center, Keio University School of Medicine, Tokyo, Japan
Spine (Phila Pa 1976) 36:E60-8. 2011..Retrospective case series of surgically treated adult scoliosis patients...
- Lung function in congenital kyphosis and kyphoscoliosisMichael J McMaster
The Scottish National Paediatric Spinal Deformity Centre, The Royal Hospital for Sick Children, Edinburgh, Scotland
J Spinal Disord Tech 20:203-8. 2007To quantify the respiratory compromise in patients with a congenital kyphosis or kyphoscoliosis in whom the major deformity is the kyphosis.
- Severe cervical kyphosis in osteopathia striata with cranial sclerosis: case reportT Kondoh
Department of Paediatrics, Nagasaki University School of Medicine, 1 7 1, Sakamoto Machi, Nagasaki, 852 8501, Japan
Pediatr Radiol 31:659-62. 2001..The most unusual distressing finding was severe cervical kyphosis with a dysplastic cervical spine. MRI revealed impingement of the upper spinal cord...
- Closing-opening wedge osteotomy for severe, rigid, thoracolumbar post-tubercular kyphosisS Rajasekaran
Department of Orthopaedics, Traumatology and Spine Surgery, Ganga Hospital, 313 Mettupalayam Road, Coimbatore 641043, India
Eur Spine J 20:343-8. 2011..These children show progressive deformity throughout the period of growth and can develop severe kyphosis of >100°...
- Kyphosis in active and sedentary postmenopausal womenM S Eagan
Wastl Human Performance Laboratory, Department of Health, Kinesiology and Leisure Studies, Purdue University, West Lafayette, IN 47907, USA
Med Sci Sports Exerc 33:688-95. 2001EAGAN, M. S., and D. A. SEDLOCK. Kyphosis in active and sedentary postmenopausal women. Med. Sci. Sports Exerc., Vol. 33, No. 5, 2001, pp. 688-695...
- An increased kyphosis of the thoracolumbar junction is correlated to more axial vertebral rotation in thoracolumbar/lumbar adolescent idiopathic scoliosisHaijian Ni
Department of Orthopedics, Changhai Hospital, The Second Military Medical University, Shanghai, People s Republic of China
Spine (Phila Pa 1976) 35:E1334-8. 2010..A retrospective correlation study...
- Relationship between kyphosis and Barrett's esophagus in Japanese patientsGoichi Uno
Division of Endoscopy, Shimane University Hospital, Japan
Intern Med 50:2725-30. 2011b>Kyphosis is a risk factor for the presence of hiatal hernia, which is a strong predictor of Barrett's esophagus. However, the association between kyphosis and Barrett's esophagus has not yet been clarified...
- Influence of lumbar kyphosis and back muscle strength on the symptoms of gastroesophageal reflux disease in middle-aged and elderly peopleShiro Imagama
Department of Orthopaedic Surgery, Nagoya University Graduate School of Medicine, 65, Tsurumai, Showa Ku, Nagoya, Aichi, 466 8550, Japan
Eur Spine J 21:2149-57. 2012The objectives of this study was to clarify the relationship between kyphosis and gastroesophageal reflux disease (GERD) by evaluation of spinal alignment, obesity, osteoporosis, back muscle strength, intake of oral drugs, and smoking and ..
- Kyphosis reduction and the rate of cement leaks after vertebroplasty of intravertebral cleftsMartin Krauss
Institute for Diagnostic and Interventional Radiology, Klinikum Sued, Breslauer Str 201, 90471 Nuernberg, Germany
Eur Radiol 16:1015-21. 2006..Due to the prone positioning of the patient during vertebroplasty, a significant reduction of the kyphosis angle was achieved in the cleft group. Cement leakage occurred in 18...
- Treatment of cervical kyphosis in childrenW R Francis
Division of Orthopedic Surgery, Baylor College of Medicine, Houston, Texas
Spine (Phila Pa 1976) 13:883-7. 1988Children with severe cervical kyphosis present a difficult treatment challenge. The most common etiology of this deformity is extensive laminectomies, especially associated with postlaminectomy irradiation...
- MRI of paraspinal muscles in lumbar degenerative kyphosis patients and control patients with chronic low back painC H Kang
Department of Radiology and Research Institute of Radiology, University of Ulsan College of Medicine, Asan Medical Center, Poongnap dong, Songpa Ku, Seoul, Republic of Korea
Clin Radiol 62:479-86. 2007To compare lumbar musculature in lumbar degenerative kyphosis (LDK) patients and chronic low-back pain (CLBP) patients.
- Correction hinge in the compromised cord for severe and rigid angular kyphosis with neurologic deficitsKao Wha Chang
Taiwan Spine Center, Taiwan, Republic of China
Spine (Phila Pa 1976) 34:1040-5. 2009..Retrospective study...
- Validation of clinical measurement of kyphosis with a simple instrument, the arcometerS Schierano
Department of Physical Medicine and Rehabilitation Children s Rehabilitation Service, Physical Medicine and Rehabilitation Hospital, Udine, Italy
Spine (Phila Pa 1976) 22:408-13. 1997..Evaluation of concordance between different clinical surface measurements and radiographic measurements of kyphosis. OBJECTIVES: To validate a new instrument, the Arcometer, in the clinical assessment of kyphosis...
- One-stage posterior approach and combined interbody and posterior fusion for thoracolumbar spinal tuberculosis with kyphosis in childrenHong Qi Zhang
Department of Spine Surgery, Xiangya Spinal Surgery Center, Xiangya Hospital of Central South University, Changsha, China
Orthopedics 33:808. 2010..determine the efficacy and feasibility of surgical management of advanced thoracolumbar spine tuberculosis with kyphosis in children in poor general condition with 1-stage posterior decompression, interbody grafts, and posterior ..
- Mini-open thoracoscopically assisted thoracotomy versus video-assisted thoracoscopic surgery for anterior release in thoracic scoliosis and kyphosis: a comparison of operative and radiographic resultsRafael Levin
Department of Orthopaedic Surgery, New York University Hospital for Joint Diseases, 301 East 17th Street, New York, NY 10003, USA
Spine J 5:632-8. 2005....
- Incidence and risk factors for proximal and distal junctional kyphosis following surgical treatment for Scheuermann kyphosis: minimum five-year follow-upFrancis Denis
Twin Cities Spine Center, Minneapolis, MN 55404, USA
Spine (Phila Pa 1976) 34:E729-34. 2009..Retrospective case review at a single center...
- Occipitoatlantoaxial instability and congenital thoracic vertebral deformity in Pierre Robin sequence: a case reportSzabolcs Molnár
Department of Orthopaedics, Polyclinic of the Hospitaller Brothers of St John of God, Budapest, Hungary
Spine (Phila Pa 1976) 32:E501-4. 2007..Case report of a patient with Pierre Robin sequence who presented with occipitoatlantoaxial instability and congenital thoracic deformity...
- Anterior-posterior surgery versus posterior closing wedge osteotomy in posttraumatic kyphosis with neurologic compromised osteoporotic fractureSe Il Suk
Seoul Spine Institute, Inje University Sanggye Paik Hospital, Seoul, Korea
Spine (Phila Pa 1976) 28:2170-5. 2003..Retrospective study...
- Evaluation of physical capacity and quality of life in osteoporotic womenImpério Lombardi
Rheumatology Rehabilitation Section, Rheumatology Division, Federal University of Sao Paulo, Rua Botucatu 740, 04023 900, Sao Paulo, S P, Brazil
Osteoporos Int 15:80-5. 2004Osteoporotic vertebral fractures result in increased kyphosis angle, an alteration that may lead to disturbance in physical capacity.
- Operative management of Scheuermann's kyphosis in 78 patients: radiographic outcomes, complications, and techniqueBaron S Lonner
Hospital for Joint Diseases NYU Medical Center, New York, NY, USA
Spine (Phila Pa 1976) 32:2644-52. 2007A retrospective multicenter review of 78 patients with Scheuermann's kyphosis treated operatively was conducted.
- Anterior instrumented fusion for thoracolumbar kyphosis in mucopolysaccharidosisS S Dalvie
Great Ormond Street Hospital for Children, London, United Kingdom
Spine (Phila Pa 1976) 26:E539-41. 2001..OBJECTIVE: To describe a new technique for treating progressive thoracolumbar kyphosis in children with mucopolysaccharidosis...
- Muscle stem cell therapy in a mouse model of premature agingJohnny Huard; Fiscal Year: 2010..Both mice develop age-related pathologies including ataxia, kyphosis, cachexia, disc degeneration, osteoporosis, incontinence, epidermal atrophy, sarcopenia, bone marrow degeneration ..
- Competetive Renewal of MSM: Multiscale Studies of Segmentation in VertebratesClaudio D Stern; Fiscal Year: 2013..g. spondylocostal and spondylothoracic dysostoses and dysplasias) to deviations of the spine (lordosis, kyphosis, and scoliosis) and misspecification of the regional identity of skeletal elements (e.g. Klippel-Feil syndrome)...
- Sex Differences in Musculoskeletal Conditions across the LifespanNancy E Lane; Fiscal Year: 2013..surgical treatment, and a randomized trial of sex differences in response to a physical activity intervention for kyphosis. The overarching goal of this Specialized Center of Research is to inform and transform preventive efforts and ..
- Gender differences in Bone Loss and Incident FracturesElizabeth L Barrett Connor; Fiscal Year: 2010..3) clinical osteoporotic fractures, (4) changes in bone size and integrated strength;and (5) changes in kyphosis in 800 to 1,000 previously studied ambulatory men and women aged 50 +...
- Aging Features in Mice with Conditional Expression of p16Ink4aGregory H Enders; Fiscal Year: 2013..in young mice imposes early aging phenotypes characterized by hair hypopigmentation and loss, weight loss, kyphosis, and anemia...
- Signaling Mechanisms of the Dystrophin-Glycoprotein ComplexAndrea Arnett; Fiscal Year: 2012..imparts a dramatic increase in longevity and a delay in the formation and progression of joint contractures and kyphosis. Thus, we propose to study the structural and functional mechanism through which Dp116-mediate(j DGC assembly ..
- Age-related Changes in Thoracic Spine BiomechanicsDennis Anderson; Fiscal Year: 2013..on our preliminary data, we hypothesize that the biomechanical effects of the rib cage and increased thoracic kyphosis (spinal curvature) result in greater vertebral loading in the mid- thoracic and thoraco-lumbar spinal regions, ..
- Dysregulation of 3-prolyl-hydroxylation in Human Skeletal DysplasiasBRENDAN HL LEE; Fiscal Year: 2010..1.) that loss of Crtap in mice causes an osteochondrodysplasia characterized by short stature, kyphosis, and severe osteoporosis...
- Causes and Consequences of Hyperkyphosis in Older PersonsDeborah Kado; Fiscal Year: 2009..equals spine osteoporosis;however, studies demonstrate that more than half of those with the worst degrees of kyphosis don't have underlying vertebral fractures...
- Mechansims and Clinical Importance of Hyperkyphosis:The Framingham StudyELIZABETH SAMELSON; Fiscal Year: 2013..though there is increasing evidence for effective interventions to reduce progression and even improve thoracic kyphosis. A critical barrier to developing efforts to prevent and treat hyperkyphosis is a lack of information on (1) the ..
- BIOLOGICAL AND STRUCTURAL PREDICTORS OF KYPHOSIS PROGRESSION IN OLDER MENDeborah Kado; Fiscal Year: 2013..that age, vertebral fractures and low bone mineral density only explain a small fraction in the variance of kyphosis progression and that other important factors leading to HK include a family history of HK, early and ongoing ..
- Study of Hyperkyphosis, Exercise and Function - SHEAFWENDY BETH KATZMAN; Fiscal Year: 2013..However, there is strong preliminary evidence that kyphosis-specific strengthening exercises done regularly over a three month period can improve kyphosis and physical ..
- The Connie Wofsy Women's HIV StudyPhyllis C Tien; Fiscal Year: 2013..outcomes, including specific organ functional measures, and total physical fitness and morphology (such as kyphosis)...
- Crtap function during skeletal homeostasisRoy Morello; Fiscal Year: 2007..Our initial observations show that the Crtap null mice develop a severe early onset osteoporosis and age-related kyphosis. To comprehend the functional characteristics of the Crtap gene we propose to systematically analyze the ..
- Causes and Consequences of Hyperkyphosis in Older WomenDeborah Kado; Fiscal Year: 2007..We created a digitization program that calculates the most widely used radiological measure of kyphosis, the Cobb angle. Thus, a reliable measure can be made in a large number of subjects with minimal effort...
- The Yoga for Hyperkyphosis TrialGail Greendale; Fiscal Year: 2007..We demonstrated in a pilot Yoga intervention that women with hyperkyphosis regained height, improved their kyphosis angle, and achieved dramatic physical functional gains [Greendale 2002B]...
- Sex Steroids & Mammographic Density in the PostmenopauseGail Greendale; Fiscal Year: 2007..We will quantify the relations between the hormone and genetic exposures measured in this project and mammographic density (at baseline as well as change in density between baseline and 12 months). ..
- Human mitochondrial fatty acid synthaseStuart Smith; Fiscal Year: 2009..Elucidation of the role of the mitFAS system in mitochondrial function may aid in understanding the etiology of these disorders. ..
- Pathophysiologic Regulation of Fgf-23 in Phosphate Homeostasis: Role of Vitamin DBeate Lanske; Fiscal Year: 2010....
- Role of Indian hedgehog in Endochondral Bone FormationBeate Lanske; Fiscal Year: 2009..Such in vivo molecular studies, could, therefore, lead to the discovery of other human skeletal diseases involving the Ihh gene and to novel therapeutic strategies aimed at modulating skeletal anomalies. ..
- Genetic analysis of congenital diaphragmatic herniaAnne Slavotinek; Fiscal Year: 2006..abstract_text> ..
- Small Laboratory Animal Imaging: High Resolution Microcomputed Tomography SystemRAMIRO TORIBIO; Fiscal Year: 2006..Salary and benefits for the Supervisor and Space and utilities for the instrument will be provided by Department of Veterinary Biosciences and the College of Veterinary Medicine. [unreadable] [unreadable]..
- Biomechanically Based Shoulder Rehabilitation StrategiesPAULA LUDEWIG; Fiscal Year: 2007..abstract_text> ..
- Regional Biocontainment LaboratoryJoe Kornegay; Fiscal Year: 2006..The facility will also be available and prepared to assist national, state, and local public health officials in the event of a bioterrorism emergency. ..
- STRUCTURE AND SPECIFICITY OF LIPOGENIC ENZYMESStuart Smith; Fiscal Year: 2008..abstract_text> ..
- PTHrP on normal osteoblast differentiation and functionRAMIRO TORIBIO; Fiscal Year: 2008..Dr. Thomas Rosol's laboratory will provide an excellent environment for developing the skills necessary to become a successful independent researcher. ..
- Subacromial space reductions in rotator cuff disease: Effects on soft tissuePAULA LUDEWIG; Fiscal Year: 2008..Improving cost effective treatment is relevant to public health. [unreadable] [unreadable] [unreadable]..
- MECHANICAL MODULATION OF GROWTH IN PHYSESIan Stokes; Fiscal Year: 2003..abstract_text> ..
- GENETIC ANALYSIS OF FAMILIAL IDIOPATHIC SCOLIOSISNancy Miller; Fiscal Year: 2006..This may allow for earlier limited surgical intervention and avoid long-term bracing which, in many cases, results in an extensive surgical intervention once initial treatment has failed. ..
- AN INTEGRATED MODEL OF INTERVERTEBRAL DISC FUNCTIONIan Stokes; Fiscal Year: 2006..and the local conditions that can influence its metabolism, eventual composition and function in three-dimensions. ..
- Progressive scoliosis deformity in intervertebral discIan Stokes; Fiscal Year: 2009..These approaches may include improvements in brace design, new possibilities for muscle rehabilitation, and surgical procedures aimed at early, minimally invasive modification of spinal growth. ..
- STABILITY OF MUSCULAR LOADING OF THE LUMBAR SPINEIan Stokes; Fiscal Year: 2002..In addition, the specific roles of individual muscles will be better elucidated, which will be helpful in guiding therapy for people with low back dysfunction. ..