secondary hypertrophic osteoarthropathy
Summary: Symmetrical osteitis of the four limbs, chiefly localized to the phalanges and the terminal epiphyses of the long bones of the forearm and leg, sometimes extending to the proximal ends of the limbs and the flat bones, and accompanied by dorsal kyphosis and joint involvement. It is often secondary to chronic conditions of the lungs and heart. (Dorland, 27th ed)
Publications140 found, 100 shown here
- Secondary hypertrophic osteoarthropathy (HOA) mimicking primary HOA (pachydermoperiostitis or Touraine-Solente-Golé) syndromeMark N Lowenthal
Meonot Maccabi Facility for Complicated Nursing, Ganei Omer, Omer 84965, Israel
Isr Med Assoc J 6:64. 2004
- ['Palm reading' as a diagnostic aid]A Vonk Noordegraaf
afd Longziekten, VU Medisch Centrum, Postbus 7057, 1007 MB Amsterdam
Ned Tijdschr Geneeskd 148:53-6. 2004..These cases show that inspection of the hand may give a clue to the diagnosis...
- [Clinical case of the month. Pierre Marie Bamberger syndrome]A Rouers
Service de Chirurgie Cardio Vasculaire et Thoracique, CHU Liege, Belgique
Rev Med Liege 61:142-4. 2006We report the case of a lung adenocarcinoma revealed by clubbing and secondary hypertrophic osteoarthropathy or Pierre-Marie Bamberger syndrome.
- Thyroid acropachyAugusto Mota
Hospital Santa Izabel, Salvador, Bahia, Brazil
J Clin Rheumatol 13:360. 2007
- Leg pains, clubbing of digits and lung mass: what is your call?Jenn Yu Wu
Department of Internal Medicine, National Taiwan University Hospital, Taipei, Taiwan
CMAJ 178:395-6. 2008
- The rational clinical examination. Does this patient have clubbing?K A Myers
Queen s University, Hotel Dieu Hospital, 166 Brock St, Kingston, Ontario, Canada K7L 5G2
JAMA 286:341-7. 2001..Although the features of advanced clubbing are familiar to most clinicians, the presence of early clubbing is often a source of debate...
- Secondary hypertrophic osteoarthropathy associated with solitary fibrous tumor of the lungJulie Fridlington
Department of Dermatology, University of Texas Medical Branch, Galveston, USA
J Am Acad Dermatol 57:S106-10. 2007b>Secondary hypertrophic osteoarthropathy, synonymous with the terms "pulmonary hypertrophic osteoarthropathy" and "pachydermoperiostosis acquisita," is a syndrome characterized by finger clubbing, hypertrophic skin changes, and periosteal ..
- A case of hypertrophic osteoarthropathy associated with epithelioid hemangioendotheliomaJin Hyun Kim
Department of Internal Medicine, Seoul National University College of Medicine, Seoul, Korea
J Korean Med Sci 19:484-6. 2004..We also discuss the role of vascular endothelial growth factor in its pathogenesis...
- [Torsion of the right upper lobe due to primary lung cancer with pulmonary hypertrophic osteoarthropathy; report of a case]T Matsukura
Respiratory Disease Center, Kyoto Katsura Hospital, Kyoto, Japan
Kyobu Geka 59:1213-6. 2006..She had hypertrophic osteoarthropathy simultaneously. Right pneumonectomy was performed. Postoperative course has been uneventful for 3 years...
- Tumor debulking by radiofrequency ablation in hypertrophic pulmonary osteoarthropathy associated with pulmonary carcinomaKoji Kishi
Fifth Department of Internal Medicine, Tokyo Medical University, Kasumigaura Hospital, 3 20 1 Chuou, Ami Inashiki, Ibaraki 300 0395, Japan
Lung Cancer 38:317-20. 2002..Cytoreduction by RFA rapidly alleviated the arthralgia and swelling, but not the clubbing of fingers. Follow-up bone scintigrams demonstrated a reduction in patellar uptake after RFA...
- [Primary hypertrophic osteoarthropathy as a rare cause of joint pain]Marcin Milchert
Kliniki Reumatologii, Pomorskiej Akademii Medycznej w Szczecinie
Wiad Lek 59:873-8. 2006..This case report contains clinical symptoms and new diagnostic criteria, differential diagnosis, and possible complications...
- [Pachydermoperiostosis (Touraine-Solente-Golé syndrome). Case report]J C Santos-Duran
Servicio de Dermatologia, Hospital Virgen de la Concha, Zamora, Espana
Actas Dermosifiliogr 98:116-20. 2007..We highlight the importance of ruling out secondary forms of hypertrophic osteoarthropathy and of a close follow-up of these patients because of complications that might develop on the long-term...
- What's your diagnosis? Adult with cough and bilateral ankle swellingBimal Parameswaran
Department of Radiology, Salmaniya Medical Complex, Manama, Bahrain
Ann Saudi Med 26:484-5; 489-91. 2006
- Clubbed fingers and hypertrophic osteoarthropathy in a patient with squamous cell carcinoma of the lungWen Chi Yang
Department of Internal Medicine, Kaohsiung Medical University, Kaohsiung, Taiwan
Kaohsiung J Med Sci 19:183-7. 2003..Follow-up bone scan also suggested regression of the uptake of radioactivity in the four limb bones. We concluded that the HOA in this case was probably caused by lung cancer...
- Hypertrophic pulmonary osteoarthropathy (HPOA) (Pierre Marie-Bamberger syndrome): two cases presenting as acute inflammatory arthritis. Description and review of the literatureDavid J Armstrong
Department of Rheumatology, Musgrave Park Hospital, Belfast, BT9 7JB, UK
Rheumatol Int 27:399-402. 2007..Both proved to have primary lung tumours with hypertrophic pulmonary osteoarthropathy, in one case resolving promptly with treatment of the carcinoma. We review the literature, including theories on pathogenesis...
- Pulmonary hypertrophic osteoarthropathy in a patient with nonsmall cell lung cancer: Diagnosis with FDG PET/CTKlaus Strobel
Division of Nuclear Medicine, Department of Medical Radiology, University Hospital Zurich, Zurich, Switzerland
Clin Nucl Med 31:624-6. 2006
- MRI diagnosis of hypertrophic osteoarthropathy from a remote childhood malignancyNisha I Sainani
Department of MRI, Mammography and BMD, Dr Balabhai Nanavati Hospital and Research Centre, S V Road, Vile Parle West, Mumbai 400 056, India
Skeletal Radiol 36:S63-6. 2007..Early demonstration and consideration of HOA on the basis of MRI, lead to expeditious and appropriate subsequent investigation...
- [Primary clubbing of fingers and toes]Rikke Hein-Rasmussen
H S Frederiksberg Hospital, kardiologisk endokrinologisk klinik E
Ugeskr Laeger 166:383-4. 2004
- Weight loss with purpura and pain at the distal femoraK F Haegele
Ann Rheum Dis 64:1373-4. 2005
- [Primary hypertrophic osteoarthropathy (Touraine-Solente-Golé syndrome)]M Toepfer
Medizinische Klinik Innenstadt, Germany
Dtsch Med Wochenschr 127:1013-6. 2002..In addition he suffered from marked whole-body sweating, especially of the hands and feet, as well as persistent pain in the limbs and joints...
- [Diagnosis quiz: burning in the lower legs and thick fingers]H S Fuessl
MMW Fortschr Med 146:53-4. 2004
- [Bone pain and clubbed fingers. Primary hypertrophic osteoarthropathy]C Petrig
Medizinische Universitätspoliklinik, Kantonsspital, Petersgraben 4, 4031 Basel, Schweiz
Internist (Berl) 44:473-5. 2003..This condition is usually a secondary manifestation, especially in cases of cardiac or pulmonary disease. The primary or idiopathic forms is rare and has a good prognosis...
- Canine hypertrophic osteoarthropathy associated with a malignant Sertoli cell tumourK R Barrand
Fenwold Veterinary Group, Skegness, Lincolnshire
J Small Anim Pract 42:143-5. 2001..Hypertrophic pulmonary osteoarthropathy is a rare complication of metastatic canine Sertoli cell tumour. The authors know of no previously reported cases...
- Images in clinical medicine. New-onset clubbing associated with lung cancerBryan A Faller
Washington University School of Medicine, St Louis, MO 63110, USA
N Engl J Med 359:e15. 2008
- Images in clinical medicine. PseudoclubbingAfshin Farzaneh-Far
Brigham and Women s Hospital, Boston, MA 02115, USA
N Engl J Med 354:e14. 2006
- [Solitary fibroma of the pleura - clinical findings and prognosis]S Dango
Abteilung Thoraxchirurgie, Chirurgische Universitätsklinik Freiburg
Zentralbl Chir 133:227-30. 2008..In two recent reviews, the 5- and 10-year survival rates are described as being 97 and 90 %, respectively, for benign tumours compared with 89 and 88 % for malignant fibromas...
- [Hippocratic fingers: clinical importance and differential diagnosis]V V Fomin
Klin Med (Mosk) 85:64-8. 2007..HF often appear ahead of more specific symptoms. In this connection, correct interpretation of this clinical sign, augmented with laboratory tests, allows for early and valid diagnosis...
- Role of zoledronic acid in the setting of bone metastases from non-small-cell lung cancerCorey J Langer
Fox Chase Cancer Center, Philadelphia, PA 19111, USA
Clin Lung Cancer 6:314-6. 2005..We report herein a case study that highlights the clinical benefit of zoledronic acid in a patient with squamous cell carcinoma of the lung...
- Hypertrophic osteoarthropathy pathogenesis: a case highlighting the potential role for cyclo-oxygenase-2-derived prostaglandin E2Kevin R Kozak
Harvard Radiation Oncology Program, Massachusetts General Hospital, Boston, MA 02114, USA
Nat Clin Pract Rheumatol 2:452-6; quiz following 456. 2006..Surgical history included a right carotid endarterectomy. The patient's history was remarkable for 50+ pack-years of smoking...
- Imaging in oncology: radiologic abnormalities in the legsMarjorie A Thurlow
University of South Florida College of Medicine, Tampa, USA
Cancer Control 9:80, 83-4. 2002
- [What is your diagnosis? Solution on the next page]F Cuculi
Innere Medizin und Radiologie Kantonsspital Sursee Wolhusen
Praxis (Bern 1994) 95:53-4. 2006
- Practice makes perfect: managing patients with undetected cancerMike Paynter
Urgent Treatment Centre, Bridgwater Community Hospital, Somerset
Emerg Nurse 13:16-7. 2005
- Successful treatment of hypertrophic osteoarthropathy by gefitinib in a case with lung adenocarcinomaMitsutoshi Hayashi
Department of Medicine, Tokyo Women s Medical University Daini Hospital, Tokyo, Japan
Anticancer Res 25:2435-8. 2005..scintigram revealed bilaterally symmetrical abnormal uptakes in the lower extremities, suggesting secondary hypertrophic osteoarthropathy. The serum level of growth hormone was increased to 1.42 ng/ml...
- [An incomplete form of pachydermoperiostosis. Diagnosis of finger clubbing]M M Ka
Clinique médicale I, CHU A Le Dantec, avenue Pasteur, BP 6237, Dakar, Senegal
Rev Med Interne 23:728-32. 2002..Pachydermoperiostosis also known as osteodermopathic syndrome, an hereditary disorder, is a rare cause of finger clubbing which might be difficult to diagnose in an incomplete form...
- Pierre Marie-Bamberger syndrome (secondary hypertrophic osteoarthropathy)Serafinella P Cannavo
University of Messina, Institute of Dermatology, Messina, Italy
Int J Dermatol 44:41-2. 2005
- Surgically cured hypoglycemia secondary to pleural solitary fibrous tumour: case report and update review on the Doege-Potter syndromeAhmed Y Kalebi
Department of Anatomical Pathology, National Health Laboratory Service NHLS, Johannesburg, South Africa
J Cardiothorac Surg 4:45. 2009..Complete surgical resection remains the most important predictor of clinical outcome in terms of recurrence and metastases, while providing instant cure for the hypoglycemia and rapid resolution of the finger clubbing...
- Hypertrophic pulmonary osteoarthropathy diagnosed by FDG PET-CT in a patient with lung adenocarcinomaWilliam Makis
Department of Nuclear Medicine, Jewish General Hospital, McGill University, Montreal, Quebec, Canada
Clin Nucl Med 34:625-7. 2009..A bone scan showed mild hyperemia surrounding the long bones of the legs and intense Tc-99m MDP uptake in the periostea. The patient was diagnosed with hypertrophic pulmonary osteoarthropathy...
- Hypertrophic osteoarthropathy associated with gastrointestinal stromal tumourL Silva
Ann Rheum Dis 65:681-2. 2006
- [A woman with red, swollen lower legs]Mirte Siemerink
Sint Franciscus Gasthuis, Rotterdam, afd Dermatologie, The Netherlands
Ned Tijdschr Geneeskd 154:A1186. 2010..It is part of the triad of extrathyreoidal manifestations of Graves' disease: exophthalmia, pretibial myxedema, and acropachy. The patient was successfully treated with topical corticosteroids...
- [Hypertrophic pulmonary osteoarthropathy and thymus carcinoma in children]N Boukadoum
Service de Radiologie, CHU Annaba, Annaba, Algeria
Arch Pediatr 17:1065-8. 2010..Thymic carcinoma is an uncommon malignant tumor in childhood disease and its association with hypertrophic pulmonary osteoarthropathy remains very rare. So far, only two cases have been reported...
- The nail in systemic diseasesAntonella Tosti
Department of Dermatology, University of Bologna, Via Massarenti 1 40138, Bologna, Italy
Dermatol Clin 24:341-7. 2006..This article reports and discusses only those nail signs that provide the clinician with clues for the diagnosis of systemic disorders...
- Idiopathic clubbingM S Peerbhoy
J Assoc Physicians India 54:506. 2006
- Radiologic case study. Thyroid acropachyOmar Batal
Department of Internal Medicine, Cleveland Clinic, Cleveland, Ohio 44195, USA
Orthopedics 31:2, 98-100. 2008..It is important to recognize the association with a more severe ophthalmopathy. In the absence of Graves' ophthalmopathy and dermopathy, a diligent search for other causes of acropachy is warranted...
- [Image of the month. Epilepsy crisis and digital hippocratism ... pointing to the lungs]X Vandemergel
Service de Médecine Interne Générale et de radiologie, CHR Nivelles Tubize
Rev Med Liege 62:127-8. 2007
- [Correction of finger clubbing in primary hypertrophic osteoarthropathy (Touraine-Solente-Gole syndrome)]S Bruner
Klinik für Plastische, Rekonstruktive und Asthetische Chirurgie, Handchirurgie, Städtische Kliniken Bielefeld Mitte, Teutoburger Strasse 50, 33604 Bielefeld
Handchir Mikrochir Plast Chir 39:135-8. 2007..Clubbing fingers are rare, but they might be part of a syndrome or a symptom of other diseases. Reconstructive surgery for aesthetic reasons can be performed...
- Prostaglandin E2 and bone turnover markers in the evaluation of primary hypertrophic osteoarthropathy (pachydermoperiostosis): a case reportA Martinez-Ferrer
Rheumatology Service, Hospital Clinic, IDIBAPS, University of Barcelona, Villarroel 170, 08036, Barcelona, Spain
Clin Rheumatol 28:1229-33. 2009..by digital clubbing, periostosis, and pachydermia and is distinct from a more common form, secondary hypertrophic osteoarthropathy, which always associates with an underlying cause (frequently pulmonary or cardiac disease)...
- Hypertrophic osteoarthropathy effectively treated with zoledronic acidMelissa M King
Department of Hematology Oncology, Wilford Hall Medical Center, Lackland Air Force Base, San Antonio, TX 78236, USA
Clin Lung Cancer 9:179-82. 2008..The pain and swelling completely resolved after a single administration of 4 mg of zoledronic acid. The proposed pathogenesis of HOA and the mechanisms by which bisphosphonates might alleviate symptoms are reviewed...
- Atypical presentation of hypertrophic pulmonary osteoarthropathy on Tc-99m MDP bone scintigraphyVinod V Narla
University of Pittsburgh School of Medicine, Pittsburgh, Pennsylvania, USA
Clin Nucl Med 33:702-4. 2008
- Clubbing in a patient with liver diseaseAnastasios K Koulaouzidis
Department of Gastroenterology, Warrington Hospital, Cheshire, Lovely Lane WA5 1QG, United Kingdom
Saudi Med J 28:481-2. 2007
- Paraneoplastic syndrome of non-small cell lung carcinoma: a case with pancytopenia, leukocytoclastic vasculitis, and hypertrophic osteoarthropathyRusen Cosar-Alas
Department of Radiation Oncology, Trakya University, Faculty of Medicine, 22030 Edirne, Turkey
Lung Cancer 56:455-8. 2007..We present a 65-year-old man with multiple paraneoplastic syndrome forms consisting of pancytopenia leukocytoclastic vasculitis and hypertrophic pulmonary osteoarthropathy, associated with non-small cell lung carcinoma...
- Effective symptomatic relief of hypertrophic pulmonary osteoarthropathy by video-assisted thoracic surgery truncal vagotomyAdrian Ooi
Wessex Cardiothoracic Centre, Southampton University Hospital, Southampton, United Kingdom
Ann Thorac Surg 83:684-5. 2007..This relatively safe and simple procedure should be considered for terminal lung cancer patients with intractable HPOA...
- En coup de sabre accompanied by pachydermoperiostosis: a case reportM Ozdemir
Department of Dermatology, Meram Medical Faculty, Selcuk University, Konya, Turkey
Clin Exp Rheumatol 25:315-7. 2007..In contrast to scleroderma, pachydermoperiostosis is a hypertrophic process characterized by periosteal proliferation of the tubuler bones and hypertrophic skin changes. We discuss this interesting coexistence and review the literature...
- Sudden death due to pulmonary aspergillosisPrashantha Bhagavath
Department of Forensic Medicine and Toxicology, Kasturba Medical College, Manipal, India
J Forensic Leg Med 16:27-30. 2009..Medicolegal autopsy confirmed the sudden unexpected death to be due to pulmonary aspergillosis in the person with past medical history of tuberculosis...
- An unusual cause of late pain and effusion after total knee arthroplasty: pulmonary hypertrophic osteoarthropathy. A case reportJames Meeker
Department of Orthopaedics, University of North Carolina at Chapel Hill, 130 Mason Farm Road, 3rd Floor Bioinformatics Building, CB 7055, Chapel Hill, NC 27599 7055, USA
J Bone Joint Surg Am 90:390-2. 2008
- Hypertrophic osteoarthropathy from pulmonary metastatic phyllodes tumour of the breastFiona J Collinson
University of Sydney at Westmead Hospital, NSW, Australia
Med J Aust 181:279. 2004
- Recovery from Marie-Bamberger's syndrome and diabetes insipidus after removal of a lung adenocarcinoma with neuroendocrine featuresM el-Salhy
Section for Gastroenterology and Hepatology, University Hospital, Umea, Sweden
J Intern Med 243:171-5. 1998..It was also suggested that the tumour might produce an ADH-like substance which might have an ADH-antagonist effect...
- Circulating vascular endothelial growth factor concentrations in a case of pulmonary hypertrophic osteoarthropathy. Correlation with disease activityFrancisco Olán
National Institute of Cardiology and National Institute of Respiratory Diseases, Mexico City, Mexico
J Rheumatol 31:614-6. 2004..Removal of the lung tumor led to a dramatic disappearance of the skeletal abnormalities and to reduction of circulating VEGF levels. Histochemical studies of the excised tumor confirmed abnormal VEGF production...
- [Differential diagnosis of osteoarthropathia hypertrophicans]O Diedrich
Klinik und Poliklinik für Orthopädie, Rheinischen Friedrich Wilhelms Universität Bonn
Z Orthop Ihre Grenzgeb 139:168-73. 2001..classification of HOA distinguishes between a very seldom primary (PHOA) and the more frequent secondary hypertrophic osteoarthropathy (SHOA)...
- The diseased statuesDaniel Roux
Ann Thorac Surg 74:973. 2002
- Thyroid acropachy: correlation of imaging and pathologyF M Vanhoenacker
Department of Radiology, University Hospital Antwerp, Wilrijkstraat 10, 2650 Edegem, Belgium
Eur Radiol 11:1058-62. 2001..The purpose of this case report is to demonstrate the imaging features of this typical triad in a 65-year-old-woman. This case is the first in which the MRI features of thyroid dermopathy are documented...
- [Review on hypertrophic osteoarthropathy and digital clubbing]X Vandemergel
Service de médecine interne générale, Hopital Erasme, U L B
Rev Med Brux 24:88-94. 2003..In this article, we review characteristics, relation with etiology and the basis of the pathophysiology of hypertrophic osteoarthropathy and particularly of clubbing...
- [Recent progress on radiofrequency ablation for therapy of patients with lung cancer]Takeshi Matsuoka
Nihon Naika Gakkai Zasshi 92:1540-5. 2003
- Postchemotherapeutic reversibility of hypertrophic osteoarthropathy in a patient with bronchogenic adenocarcinomaS Albrecht
Division of Nuclear Medicine, University Hospitals, Geneva, Switzerland
Clin Nucl Med 28:463-6. 2003..Clinical and scintigraphic regression of the hypertrophic osteoarthropathy was evident after chemotherapy. Bone scintigraphy is valuable when determining a patient's response to treatment for this paraneoplastic syndrome...
- Relapsing hypertrophic osteoarthropathy in a child with bronchiectasisFigen Ozcay
Department of Pediatrics, Baskent University, School of Medicine, Ankara, Turkey
Indian Pediatr 39:1152-6. 2002
- Severe isolated pulmonary Langerhans cell histiocytosis in a 6-year-old girlJohannes Schulze
University Children s Hospital, Theodor Stern Kai 7, 60590 Frankfurt am Main, Germany
Eur J Pediatr 163:320-2. 2004..The girl was treated according to the LCH-III International Study Protocol with a good response. Follow-up showed no reactivation of LCH but a reduced vital capacity and signs of interstitial pulmonary involvement on a CT scan...
- [Joint pain and clubbed fingers. 62-year-old machinist]L Zimmerli
Medizinische Universitätspoliklinik, Kantonsspital Basel
Praxis (Bern 1994) 93:1059-61. 2004
- Arthralgia and digital clubbing in a child: hypertrophic osteoarthropathy with inflammatory pseudotumour of the lungG Pichler
Division of General Paediatrics, Department of Paediatrics, University of Graz, Austria
Scand J Rheumatol 33:189-91. 2004..A lobectomy of the right upper lobe was performed, and histological examination showed an inflammatory pseudotumour. The postoperative course was without problems: arthralgia and digital clubbing disappeared...
- Clubbing due to peripheral hypervascularization: recognition by contrast-enhanced, three-dimensional magnetic resonance angiographyIan McPhail
Circulation 106:e21; author reply e21. 2002
- Hypertrophic osteoarthropathy in untreated ulcerative colitisJulia Crone
Universitätsklinik für Kinder und Jugendheilkunde, University of Vienna, Austria
J Pediatr Gastroenterol Nutr 35:213-5. 2002
- [A rare cause of pseudoclubbing (pseudohippocratic finger): the acrometastasis. A case report]G Wavreille
Unité B de chirurgie du membre supérieur, clinique d orthopédie, Hopital Roger Salengro, CHRU de Lille, 59037 Cedex Lille, France
Chir Main 28:381-3. 2009..Clinical examination makes it possible to differentiate these two signs and must be supplemented by radiographic examination...
- Esophageal smooth muscle tumor in a 25-year-old woman with congenital malformationsH Maekawa
First Department of Internal Medicine, University of Tokyo, School of Medicine, Japan
J Gastroenterol 36:700-3. 2001..These congenital malformations cannot be explained by any reported syndromes...
- Pamidronate results in symptom control of hypertrophic pulmonary osteoarthropathy in cystic fibrosisLuke A Garske
Adult Cystic Fibrosis Unit and University of Queensland, The Prince Charles Hospital, Brisbane, Australia
Chest 121:1363-4. 2002..Symptom relief resulted for up to 3 months, but repeated courses of pamidronate have been required to maintain symptom control...
- [A case of lung adenocarcinoma with Marie-Bamberger syndrome that improved by chemotherapy]Yoshitaka Seki
Division of Respiratory Diseases, Department of Internal Medicine, Jikei University School of Medicine
Nihon Kokyuki Gakkai Zasshi 45:314-7. 2007..After chemotherapy with cisplatin plus gemcitabine, the tumor decreased, and the bone pain disappeared. This is a case that showed the correlation between tumor reduction and bone pain in Marie-Bamberger syndrome...
- A boy with breathlessness, digital clubbing and central cyanosisSanne J Gordijn
Department of Paediatrics, Isala Klinieken, 10500, 8000 GM Zwolle, The Netherlands
Eur J Pediatr 163:129-30. 2004
- [Painful swollen joints with weakness: what's behind all this? Case 1/2013]Hanno Bunz
Medizinische Klinik, Universitatsklinikum Tubingen
Dtsch Med Wochenschr 138:266. 2013..We report on a 58-year-old patient with weight loss, weakness and polyarthralgia. She reported of recurrent drops, painful joints and muscle weakness...
- Knuckle pads associated with clubbed fingersShinichi Koba
Department of Internal Medicine, Saga Medical School, Saga City, Saga, Japan
J Dermatol 34:838-40. 2007..Our patient had the complications of knuckle pads and clubbed fingers, which has not previously been reported...
- Hypertrophic osteoarthropathy associated with a left ventricular tumourR Suppiah
Rheumatology Registrar, Department of Rheumatology, Auckland District Health Board, Greenlane Clinical Centre, Private Bag 92189, Auckland Mail Centre, Auckland 1142, New Zealand
Rheumatology (Oxford) 47:1277. 2008
- Hypertrophic pulmonary osteoarthropathy without clubbing of the digitsS Clarke
Department of Oncology, Concord Hospital, Sydney, Australia
Skeletal Radiol 30:652-5. 2001..We also report the novel observation of involvement of the metatarsal and metacarpal bones by HOA...
- Prevalence, aetiologies and significance of clubbing in a department of general internal medicineX Vandemergel
Department of General Internal Medicine, CH Jolimont Nivelles, Belgium
Eur J Intern Med 19:325-9. 2008..Moreover, the significance of diagnosing clubbing is not well established. The aim of our study was to evaluate prevalence, aetiology and clinical significance of clubbing in a department of general internal medicine...
- Hypertrophic osteoarthropathy caused by PGE1 in a patient with congestive heart failure during cardiac rehabilitationRichard Crevenna
Department of Physical Medicine and Rehabilitation, General Hospital Vienna, University of Vienna, Austria
Wien Klin Wochenschr 114:115-8. 2002..X-ray examinations and bone scans concurred with the diagnosis of secondary hypertrophic osteoarthropathy. After the PGE1 dose had been reduced, the clinical signs of the osteoarthropathy resolved and ..
- A 64-year-old man with joint swelling and an abnormal chest radiographAmen Sergew
Division of Pulmonary Sciences and Critical Care Medicine, University of Colorado at Denver Health Sciences Center, Denver, CO 80262, USA
Chest 133:805-8. 2008
- Hypertrophic osteoarthropathy: a palindrome with a pathogenic connotationManuel Martinez-Lavin
Rheumatology Department, National Institute of Cardiology, Mexico
Curr Opin Rheumatol 20:88-91. 2008....
- [The promising student Pierre Marie (1853-1940)]W Keitel
Z Rheumatol 61:67-72. 2002
- Swyer-James Syndrome with finger clubbing after severe measles infectionChang K Kim
Department of Pediatrics, Inje University Sanggye Paik Hospital, Seoul, Korea
Pediatr Int 50:413-5. 2008
- [Clubbed fingers and dysphagia in a 38-year-old patient]C P Strassburg
Abteilung für Gastroenterologie und Hepatologie, Medizinische Hochschule Hannover, Carl Neuberg Strasse 1, 30625 Hannover
Internist (Berl) 43:99-104. 2002
- [Reversal of digital clubbing in surgically treated lung cancer patients]Jose da Silva Moreira
Programa de Pós Graduação em Ciências Pneumológicas, Universidade Federal do Rio Grande do Sul, Porto Alegre, RS, Brasil
J Bras Pneumol 34:481-9. 2008..To objectively evaluate the reversal of digital clubbing (DC) in a series of surgically treated lung cancer patients, and to review the literature on the subject...
- Exome sequencing identifies SLCO2A1 mutations as a cause of primary hypertrophic osteoarthropathyZhenlin Zhang
Metabolic Bone Disease and Genetics Research Unit, Department of Osteoporosis and Bone Diseases, Shanghai Jiao Tong University, China
Am J Hum Genet 90:125-32. 2012..Moreover, this study might also help to explain the cause of secondary hypertrophic osteoarthropathy.
- Hypertrophic osteoarthropathy in intestinal transplant recipientsMargaret M McGuire
Department of Surgery, Children s Hospital Boston, Boston, MA 02115, USA
J Pediatr Surg 45:e19-22. 2010..We speculate that an immune-mediated process is responsible for the bone disease. Further inquiry will help establish if HOA is related to transplant status, intestinal inflammation, or allograft rejection in general...
- Incidence of hypertrophic pulmonary osteoarthropathy associated with primary lung cancerMiiru Izumi
Research Institute for Diseases of the Chest, Graduate School of Medical Sciences, Kyushu University, Fukuoka, Japan
Respirology 15:809-12. 2010..The clinical features of confirmed HPO were also evaluated...
- Hypertrophic pulmonary osteoarthropathy as a paraneoplastic manifestation of lung cancerTakeo Ito
Department of Internal Medicine 3, Oita University Faculty of Medicine, Yufu City, Oita, Japan
J Thorac Oncol 5:976-80. 2010..This study examined the frequency of hypertrophic pulmonary osteoarthropathy (HPO) and the clinical characteristics of lung cancer with HPO...
- Atypical presentation of a mediastinal mass in an adolescent: Critical care considerationsMarc A Yester
Department of Pediatrics, Wake Forest University School of Medicine, Winston Salem, NC, USA
Pediatr Crit Care Med 11:e44-7. 2010..To describe the clinical course and treatment of a large mediastinal mass with unusual presentation and critical lower airway compression in an adolescent...
- [Secondary hypertrophic osteoarthropathy. Differential diagnosis of post-traumatic ossification of the interosseous crural membrane]O Diedrich
Klinik und Poliklinik für Orthopädie, Rheinische Friedrich Wilhelms Universitat Bonn
Unfallchirurg 103:597-601. 2000..b>Secondary hypertrophic osteoarthropathy (SHOA) may be defined as a syndrome of the long bones with clubbing of the fingers and toes, and ..
- Unilateral digital clubbing in a hemodialysis patientJamshid Roozbeh
Division of Nephrology, Shiraz University of Medical Sciences, Shiraz, Iran
Hemodial Int 14:84-6. 2010..We briefly discuss the different theories in regards to the pathogenesis of clubbing, and the potential role of arteriovenous fistula in preventing its occurrence...
- [Digital clubbing]D Salerno
Universite de Liege, Belgique
Rev Med Liege 65:88-92. 2010..A focus is made on pulmonary and digestive pathologies, and particularly cirrhosis. The knowledge of the mechanisms underlying finger clubbing might lead, in the future, to an effective treatment...
- [Quantification of finger clubbing]Jean Capron
AP HP, Hopital Tenon, Service de Medecine Interne, Universite Pierre et Marie Curie PARIS6, Faculte de Medecine, F 75020 Paris, France
Presse Med 37:1520-1. 2008
- [A case of Marie-Bamberger syndrome caused by growth hormone-producing lung cancer: problems associated with peri- and postoperative management of patients with growth hormone-producing tumors from the standpoint of the "second attack" theory]H Terashima
Department of Surgery and Pathology, Hiraka General Hospital, Yokote, Japan
Kyobu Geka 54:108-13. 2001..Thus, we should recognize this immanent risk and perform peri- and postoperative management for patients with GH-producing tumors...
- Finger clubbing in children with human immunodeficiency virus infectionH J Zar
Department of Paediatrics and Child Health, Red Cross War Memorial Children s Hospital, University of Cape Town, South Africa
Ann Trop Paediatr 21:15-9. 2001..7% vs 24.2%, p = 0.035). In geographical areas with high HIV seroprevalence rates, the presence of clubbing in a child hospitalized for respiratory disease should raise the suspicion of HIV infection...
- Pulmonary arteriovenous malformation: a rare cause of cyanosis in a childA I M Sharifah
Paediatric Cardiology Unit, Penang General Hospital, Residensi Road, Penang 10990, Malaysia
Singapore Med J 50:e127-9. 2009..The multiple arteriovenous malformations were occluded with Gianturco coils. She is now asymptomatic and on regular follow-up...
- Touraine Solente Gole syndrome: the disease and associated tongue fissuringGanesh Athappan
Government Rajaji Hospital, Madurai Medical College, Madurai, India
Rheumatol Int 29:1091-3. 2009..We report a typical case of complete pachydermoperiostosis in addition to a thick fissured tongue, a yet unrecognized association and discuss the social cum clinical relevance of identifying this relatively uncommon disorder...
- Hypertrophic pulmonary osteoarthropathy associated with non-small cell lung cancer demonstrated growth hormone-releasing hormone by immunohistochemical analysisK Mito
Department of Respiratory Medicine, Oita National Hospital
Intern Med 40:532-5. 2001..This is the second reported case of non-small cell lung cancer which was immunohistochemically positive for GHRH associated with HPO...
- Pamidronate-induced remission of pain associated with hypertrophic pulmonary osteoarthropathy in chemoendocrine therapy-refractory inoperable metastatic breast carcinomaT Suzuma
Department of Surgery, Affiliated Kihoku Hospital, Wakayama Medical University, 219 Myouji, Katsuragicho, Itogun, Wakayama 649 7113, Japan
Anticancer Drugs 12:731-4. 2001..Treatment with pamidronate, an inhibitor of osteoclastic bone resorption, given every 2 weeks by i.v. drip infusion, led to rapid disappearance of uncontrolled pain caused by HPOA...