Genomes and Genes
Summary: Death of a bone or part of a bone, either atraumatic or posttraumatic.
Articles from Journal RESEARCH
Articles from Journal RESEARCH1
Publications353 found, 100 shown here
- Autologous bone marrow cell implantation in the treatment of non-traumatic osteonecrosis of the femoral head: Five year follow-up of a prospective controlled studyValérie Gangji
Department of Rheumatology and Physical Medicine, Erasme Hospital, Universite Libre de Bruxelles, 808 Route de Lennik, 1070 Brussels, Belgium
Bone 49:1005-9. 2011To determine the efficacy of bone marrow cell implantation into the necrotic lesion of the femoral head on clinical symptoms and the progression of osteonecrosis of the femoral head in comparison with core decompression.
- Epidemiology and pathogenesis of osteonecrosis of the jawIan R Reid
Department of Medicine, Faculty of Medical and Health Sciences, University of Auckland, Private Bag 92019, Auckland 1142, New Zealand
Nat Rev Rheumatol 8:90-6. 2012b>Osteonecrosis of the jaw (ONJ) is defined as exposed bone in the oral cavity that persists despite appropriate therapy...
- Glucocorticoid-induced osteoporosis and osteonecrosisRobert S Weinstein
Division of Endocrinology and Metabolism, Center for Osteoporosis and Metabolic Bone Diseases, Department of Internal Medicine, and Central Arkansas Veterans Healthcare System at the University of Arkansas for Medical Sciences, 4301 West Markham Street, Slot 587, Little Rock, AR 72205 7199, USA
Endocrinol Metab Clin North Am 41:595-611. 2012..administration is the most common cause of secondary osteoporosis and the leading cause of nontraumatic osteonecrosis. In patients receiving long-term therapy, glucocorticoids induce fractures in 30% to 50% and osteonecrosis in ..
- Osteonecrosis of the jaw and the role of macrophagesMichael Pazianas
Institute of Musculoskeletal Sciences, University of Oxford, The Botnar Research Centre, Nuffield Orthopaedic Centre, Headington, Oxford, UK
J Natl Cancer Inst 103:232-40. 2011Nitrogen-containing bisphosphonates have been associated with the development of osteonecrosis of the jaws (ONJ), but the lack of reliable epidemiological data and appropriate animal models has restricted our understanding of ONJ ..
- Pathogenesis and natural history of osteonecrosisYehudith Assouline-Dayan
Division of Rheumatology, Allergy and Clinical Immunology, Department of Radiology, University of California at Davis, Davis, CA 95616, USA
Semin Arthritis Rheum 32:94-124. 2002b>Osteonecrosis (avascular necrosis) is a relatively common disorder seen by both rheumatologists and orthopedic surgeons. The vast majority of cases are secondary to trauma...
- Pamidronate (Aredia) and zoledronate (Zometa) induced avascular necrosis of the jaws: a growing epidemicRobert E Marx
J Oral Maxillofac Surg 61:1115-7. 2003
- Bisphosphanates and oral cavity avascular bone necrosisCesar A Migliorati
J Clin Oncol 21:4253-4. 2003
- Pharmacokinetic, pharmacodynamic, and pharmacogenetic determinants of osteonecrosis in children with acute lymphoblastic leukemiaJitesh D Kawedia
Department of Pharmaceutical Sciences, St Jude Children s Research Hospital, 262 Danny Thomas Place, Memphis, TN 38105 2794, USA
Blood 117:2340-7; quiz 2556. 2011b>Osteonecrosis is a severe glucocorticoid-induced complication of acute lymphoblastic leukemia treatment...
- Current concepts on the pathogenesis and natural history of steroid-induced osteonecrosisChristian Powell
Division of Rheumatology, Allergy and Clinical Immunology, University of California at Davis School of Medicine, Davis, CA 95616, USA
Clin Rev Allergy Immunol 41:102-13. 2011The pathophysiology of non-traumatic osteonecrosis is more complex than that of traumatic osteonecrosis, and corticosteroid-induced osteonecrosis presents the greatest challenge because of the multiple effects of corticosteroids on multi-..
- Osteonecrosis of the jaw and bisphosphonate treatment for osteoporosisRene Rizzoli
University Hospital and Faculty of Medicine, Geneva, Switzerland
Bone 42:841-7. 2008..a class of drugs used in the treatment of osteoporosis, Paget's disease and metastatic bone disease, is osteonecrosis of the jaw (ONJ)...
- Is bisphosphonate-associated osteonecrosis of the jaw caused by soft tissue toxicity?Ian R Reid
Faculty of Medical and Health Sciences, University of Auckland, Private Bag 92019, Auckland, New Zealand
Bone 41:318-20. 2007b>Osteonecrosis of the jaw (ONJ) is a complication of high-dose bisphosphonate use, characterized by the finding of exposed bone in the oral cavity...
- Multiple bioimaging modalities in evaluation of an experimental osteonecrosis induced by a combination of lipopolysaccharide and methylprednisoloneL Qin
Musculoskeletal Research Laboratory, Department of Orthopaedics and Traumatology, The Chinese University of Hong Kong, Hong Kong SAR, PR China
Bone 39:863-71. 2006..and dynamic imaging modalities to study both intra- and extravascular events attributing to steroid-associated osteonecrosis (ON) using an experimental protocol with a single low-dose lipopolysaccharide (LPS) injection and subsequently ..
- Treatment of early stage osteonecrosis of the femoral head with autologous implantation of bone marrow-derived and cultured mesenchymal stem cellsDewei Zhao
Department of Biomedical Engineering, Dalian University of Technology, Dalian, Liaoning, 116023, China
Bone 50:325-30. 2012Treatment of early-stage osteonecrosis of the femoral head (ONFH) with autologous implantation of iliac crest bone marrow-derived mononuclear cells, which contain tens of thousands of bone marrow mesenchymal stem cells (BMMSCs), recently ..
- Effect of alternate-week versus continuous dexamethasone scheduling on the risk of osteonecrosis in paediatric patients with acute lymphoblastic leukaemia: results from the CCG-1961 randomised cohort trialLeonard A Mattano
Michigan State University College of Human Medicine, Michigan State University Kalamazoo Center for Medical Studies, Kalamazoo, MI 49008, USA
Lancet Oncol 13:906-15. 2012..However, treatments are associated with symptomatic osteonecrosis that disproportionately affects adolescents...
- Does increased red blood cell deformability raise the risk for osteonecrosis in sickle cell anemia?Nathalie Lemonne
Blood 121:3054-6. 2013
- Oral bisphosphonates as a cause of bisphosphonate-related osteonecrosis of the jaws: clinical findings, assessment of risks, and preventive strategiesLeon A Assael
Department of Oral and Maxillofacial Surgery, Oregon Health and Science University, Portland, OR 97239, USA
J Oral Maxillofac Surg 67:35-43. 2009..A review of the evidence supporting answers to key clinical questions is necessary to assist surgeons in the care of their patients who are receiving oral bisphosphonates...
- Occurrence of bisphosphonate-related osteonecrosis of the jaw after surgical tooth extractionGiorgia Saia
Unit of Maxillofacial Surgery, University of Padova, Padua, Italy
J Oral Maxillofac Surg 68:797-804. 2010To evaluate the occurrence of bisphosphonate-related osteonecrosis of the jaw (BRONJ) in patients exposed to nitrogen-containing bisphosphonates (NBPs) requiring surgical tooth extraction.
- Osteonecrosis of the jaws by intravenous bisphosphonates and osteoradionecrosis: a comparative studyJose V Bagan
University General Hospital, Valencia University, 46014 Valencia, Spain
Med Oral Patol Oral Cir Bucal 14:e616-9. 2009We analyze the possible clinical differences between bone jaw exposed areas in ONJ (osteonecrosis of the jaws) and ORN (osteoradionecrosis).
- Septic arthritis in adults with sickle cell disease often is associated with osteomyelitis or osteonecrosisPhilippe Hernigou
Department of Orthopaedic Surgery, University Paris XII, Hopital Henri Mondor, 51 Avenue du Marechal de Lattre de Tassigny, 94010 Creteil, France
Clin Orthop Relat Res 468:1676-81. 2010Septic arthritis is a known complication of sickle cell disease (SCD) in children, and the association with osteomyelitis and osteonecrosis has been described. However, it is unclear whether this association applies to adults.
- Nd:YAG laser biostimulation in the treatment of bisphosphonate-associated osteonecrosis of the jaw: clinical experience in 28 casesPaolo Vescovi
Unit of Oral Pathology and Medicine, Section of Dentistry, Department of ENT Dental Ophthalmological and Cervico Facial Sciences, University of Parma, Parma, Italy
Photomed Laser Surg 26:37-46. 2008To research an efficient treatment for the management of bisphosphonate-associated osteonecrosis.
- Jaw osteonecrosis associated with bisphosphonates: multiple exposed areas and its relationship to teeth extractions. Study of 20 casesJose V Bagan
Oral Oncol 42:327-9. 2006
- Thrombophilia, hypofibrinolysis, the eNOS T-786C polymorphism, and multifocal osteonecrosisCharles J Glueck
Cholesterol Center, Jewish Hospital of Cincinnati, Cincinnati, OH 45229, USA
J Bone Joint Surg Am 90:2220-9. 2008..hypofibrinolysis, and the endothelial nitric oxide synthase (eNOS) T-786C polymorphism are common, potentially treatable, and similar pathophysiologic causes of multifocal (three sites or more) and unifocal (single-site) osteonecrosis.
- Bisphosphonates cause osteonecrosis of the jaw-like disease in miceYanming Bi
University of Maryland School of Medicine, 800 W Baltimore Street, Baltimore, MD 21201, USA
Am J Pathol 177:280-90. 2010Bisphosphonate-associated osteonecrosis of the jaw (BONJ) is a morbid bone disease linked to long-term bisphosphonate use. Despite its broad health impact, mechanistic study is lacking...
- Bisphosphonate-associated osteonecrosis of the jaw: a key role of inflammation?Philippe Lesclous
Laboratoire Réparation et Remodelages Oro Faciaux, EA2496, Universite Paris Descartes, Faculte de Chirurgie Dentaire, France
Bone 45:843-52. 2009b>Osteonecrosis of the jaw (ONJ) can be associated with nitrogen-containing bisphosphonates (NBPs) therapy. Various mechanisms of NBP-associated ONJ have been proposed and there is currently no consensus of the underlying pathogenesis...
- Bisphosphonate-related osteonecrosis of the jaw: position paper from the Allied Task Force Committee of Japanese Society for Bone and Mineral Research, Japan Osteoporosis Society, Japanese Society of Periodontology, Japanese Society for Oral and MaxillofaToshiyuki Yoneda
Department of Biochemistry, Osaka University Graduate School of Dentistry, 1 8 Yamadaoka, Suita, Osaka 565 0871, Japan
J Bone Miner Metab 28:365-83. 2010..in patients with cancer or osteoporosis who have been receiving intravenous or oral BPs are associated with osteonecrosis of the jaw (bisphosphonate-related osteonecrosis of the jaw, BRONJ)...
- Oral bisphosphonate use and the prevalence of osteonecrosis of the jaw: an institutional inquiryParish P Sedghizadeh
Division of Diagnostic Sciences, University of Southern California School of Dentistry, Los Angeles, Calif, USA
J Am Dent Assoc 140:61-6. 2009Initial reports of osteonecrosis of the jaw (ONJ) secondary to bisphosphonate (BP) therapy indicated that patients receiving BPs orally were at a negligible risk of developing ONJ compared with patients receiving BPs intravenously...
- Osteonecrosis of the jaw induced by orally administered bisphosphonates: incidence, clinical features, predisposing factors and treatment outcomeN Yarom
Department of Oral Pathology and Oral Medicine, The Maurice and Gabriela Goldschleger School of Dental Medicine, Tel Aviv University, Tel Aviv 69978, Israel
Osteoporos Int 18:1363-70. 2007b>Osteonecrosis of the jaw (ONJ) is a well-known devastating side effect of bisphosphonate therapy for cancer. Several ONJ cases of patients using oral bisphosphonates have been reported in the literature...
- Use of platelet-rich plasma in the management of oral biphosphonate-associated osteonecrosis of the jaw: a report of 2 casesCameron Y S Lee
J Oral Implantol 33:371-82. 2007..growing number of articles in the worldwide medical and dental literature describing the complication of an osteonecrosis of the jaws associated with the intravenous and, most recently, the oral form of BP medication that has been ..
- The apparent critical isotherm for cryoinsult-induced osteonecrotic lesions in emu femoral headsJessica E Goetz
Department of Orthopaedics and Rehabilitation, University of Iowa, 2181 Westlawn Building, Iowa City, IA 52242 1100, USA
J Biomech 41:2197-205. 2008Cryoinsult-induced osteonecrosis (ON) in the emu femoral head provides a unique opportunity to systematically explore the pathogenesis of ON in an animal model that progresses to human-like femoral head collapse...
- Bisphosphonate-induced osteonecrosis of the jaw: a medical enigma?Allauddin Siddiqi
Oral Implantology Research Group, Sir John Walsh Research Institute, School of Dentistry, University of Otago, Dunedin, New Zealand
Oral Surg Oral Med Oral Pathol Oral Radiol Endod 108:e1-8. 2009..Bisphosphonate-induced osteonecrosis (BION) is a serious complication...
- Zoledronic acid delays wound healing of the tooth extraction socket, inhibits oral epithelial cell migration, and promotes proliferation and adhesion to hydroxyapatite of oral bacteria, without causing osteonecrosis of the jaw, in miceYasuyoshi Kobayashi
Department of Molecular and Cellular Biochemistry, Osaka University Graduate School of Dentistry, 1 8 Yamadaoka, Suita, Osaka, 565 0871, Japan
J Bone Miner Metab 28:165-75. 2010..that cancer patients who have received these bisphosphonates occasionally manifest bisphosphonate-related osteonecrosis of the jaw (BRONJ) following dental treatments, including tooth extraction...
- Osteonecrosis development in a novel rat model characterized by a single application of oxidative stressToru Ichiseki
Kanazawa Medical University, Uchinada, Japan
Arthritis Rheum 63:2138-41. 2011To investigate the relationship between transient oxidative stress and the development of osteonecrosis in a rat model.
- Glucocorticoid inhibits bone regeneration after osteonecrosis of the femoral head in aged female ratsReiko Takano-Murakami
Department of Regenerative and Transplant Medicine, Division of Orthopedic Surgery, Niigata University Graduate School of Medical and Dental Sciences, Niigata, Japan
Tohoku J Exp Med 217:51-8. 2009Idiopathic osteonecrosis of the femoral head (ION) is a painful disease of the hip, the pathogenic mechanism of which is still unclear. The most common extraneous factor is steroid treatment...
- Assessment of corticosteroid-induced osteonecrosis in children undergoing chemotherapy for acute lymphoblastic leukemia: a report from the Japanese Childhood Cancer and Leukemia Study GroupNobuyuki Hyakuna
Center of Bone Marrow Transplantation, Hospital of University of the Ryukyus, Okinawa, Japan
J Pediatr Hematol Oncol 36:22-9. 2014Steroid-induced osteonecrosis (ON) is a challenging complication encountered during modern chemotherapy for childhood acute lymphoblastic leukemia (ALL)...
- Different differentiation of stroma cells from patients with osteonecrosis: a pilot studyChing Hua Yeh
Department of Physiology, College of Medicine, Kaohsiung Medical University, Kaohsiung, Taiwan
Clin Orthop Relat Res 467:2159-67. 2009b>Osteonecrosis (ON) is commonly caused by high doses of glucocorticoids or ethanol intake...
- Controlled-release of rhBMP-2 carriers in the regeneration of osteonecrotic boneChih Kuang Wang
Department of Medicinal and Applied Chemistry, College of Life Science, Kaohsiung Medical University, Kaohsiung, Taiwan
Biomaterials 30:4178-86. 2009Untreated osteonecrosis of the hip causes collapse of the femoral head and eventually leads to the development of premature degenerative arthritis...
- Osteonecrosis in patients with systemic lupus erythematosus develops very early after starting high dose corticosteroid treatmentK Oinuma
Department of Orthopaedic Surgery, Chiba University School of Medicine, Japan
Ann Rheum Dis 60:1145-8. 2001To investigate the actual time of onset of osteonecrosis (ON) after high dose corticosteroid treatment in systemic lupus erythematosus (SLE).
- Free microvascular iliac crest flap for extensive talar necrosis--case report with a 16-year long-term follow upUlrich M Rieger
Department of Plastic and Reconstructive Surgery, Innsbruck Medical University, 6020 Innsbruck, Austria
Microsurgery 29:667-71. 2009Atraumatic osteonecrosis of the talus can be extremely painful and lead to significant functional impairment...
- Denosumab osteonecrosis of the mandible: a new entity? A case reportSarina E C Pichardo
Department of Oral and Maxillofacial Surgery, Leiden University Medical Center, P O Box 9600, 2300 RC Leiden, The Netherlands
J Craniomaxillofac Surg 41:e65-9. 2013..Despite surgical treatment fistula and exposed bone remained. This case illustrates that use of denosumab can lead to a type of osteonecrosis resembling bisphosphonate related osteonecrosis of the jaws.
- Bisphosphonates as treatment of bone metastasesIngunn Holen
Academic Unit of Clinical Oncology, University of Sheffield, Weston Park Hospital, Sheffield, S10 2SJ, UK
Curr Pharm Des 16:1262-71. 2010..We also give an overview of the use of bisphosphonates in the treatment of breast cancer, including examples of key clinical trials. The potential side effects and future clinical applications of bisphosphonates will be outlined...
- Treatment of spontaneous osteonecrosis of the knee (SPONK) by a bisphosphonateJan Jureus
Department of Orthopedics, Clinical Sciences, Lund University and Skåne University Hospital, Lund, Sweden
Acta Orthop 83:511-4. 2012Primary spontaneous osteonecrosis of the knee is a painful lesion in the elderly without any known cause. The onset of pain is usually acute...
- Bisphosphonate osteonecrosis of the jaw: a literature review of UK policies versus international policies on the management of bisphosphonate osteonecrosis of the jawNiall M H McLeod
Oral and Maxillofacial Surgery Department, Queen Alexandra Hospital, Cosham, Portsmouth PO6 3LY, UK
Br J Oral Maxillofac Surg 49:335-42. 2011Despite the increasing number of cases of osteonecrosis of the jaws related to bisphosphonate therapy described in the literature there is a paucity of evidence-based treatment for the condition...
- Angiogenic microRNA-210 is present in cells surrounding osteonecrosisKeiichiro Yamasaki
Department of Orthopaedic Surgery, Graduate School of Biomedical Sciences, Hiroshima University, 1 2 3 Kasumi, Minami Ku, Hiroshima 734 8551, Japan
J Orthop Res 30:1263-70. 2012..expression pattern of miRNA (miR)-210, known to be associated with angiogenesis, in bone from patients with osteonecrosis (ON) of the femoral head...
- Promotion of bone repair by implantation of cryopreserved bone marrow-derived mononuclear cells in a rabbit model of steroid-associated osteonecrosisXin Hui Xie
The Chinese University of Hong Kong, Hong Kong, China
Arthritis Rheum 64:1562-71. 2012Cytotherapy is an insufficient method for promoting bone repair in steroid-associated osteonecrosis (SAON), and this has been attributed to impairment of the bioactivity of bone marrow-derived stem cells (BMSCs) after pulsed ..
- Periodontal disease and bisphosphonates induce osteonecrosis of the jaws in the ratTara L Aghaloo
Division of Diagnostic and Surgical Sciences, UCLA School of Dentistry, Los Angeles, CA 90095 1668, USA
J Bone Miner Res 26:1871-82. 2011..density, reduce fracture risk, and reduce hypercalcemia of malignancy, some patients develop BP-related osteonecrosis of the jaws (BRONJ)...
- Bisphosphonate related osteonecrosis of the jaw--manifestation in a microvascular iliac bone flapChristoph Pautke
Department of Oral and Maxillofacial Surgery, University of Munich, Lindwurmstr 2a, D 80337 Munich, Germany
Oral Oncol 47:425-9. 2011Bisphosphonate related osteonecrosis of the jaw (BRONJ) is a side effect that may emerge due to a long-term bisphosphonate therapy...
- A novel case of bisphosphonate-related osteonecrosis of the torus palatinus in a patient with metastatic breast cancerMatthew L Goldman
Breast Cancer Section, Medical Oncology Branch, National Cancer Institute, National Institutes of Health, Bethesda, MD 20889, USA
Oncology 71:306-8. 2006..Long-term intravenous use of bisphosphonates has been shown to cause osteonecrosis of the jaw...
- Nonexposed bisphosphonate-related osteonecrosis of the jaws: another clinical variant?Luis Junquera
University of Oviedo Dental School, Oviedo, Spain
J Oral Maxillofac Surg 66:1516-7. 2008
- Glucocorticoid-induced osteonecrosisRobert S Weinstein
Division of Endocrinology and Metabolism, Center for Osteoporosis and Metabolic Bone Diseases, Central Arkansas Veterans Healthcare System, University of Arkansas for Medical Sciences, Little Rock, AR 72205 7199, USA
Endocrine 41:183-90. 2012..is growing, but glucocorticoid administration is often overlooked as the most common cause of nontraumatic osteonecrosis. Glucocorticoid-induced osteonecrosis develops in 9-40% of patients receiving long-term therapy although it ..
- Genetic polymorphisms and other risk factors associated with bisphosphonate induced osteonecrosis of the jawJ Katz
Department of Oral Medicine, College of Dentistry, University of Florida, Gainesville, USA
Int J Oral Maxillofac Surg 40:605-11. 2011Bisphosphonate induced osteonecrosis of the jaw (BONJ) is a complication in patients taking bisphosphonate (BP) that affects their quality of life and compliance...
- Geranylgeraniol - a new potential therapeutic approach to bisphosphonate associated osteonecrosis of the jawT Ziebart
Klinik fur Mund, Kiefer und Gesichtschirurgie Plastische Operationen, Universitätsmedizin der Johannes Gutenberg Universität Mainz, Germany
Oral Oncol 47:195-201. 2011Bisphosphonate associated osteonecrosis of the jaw (BP-ONJ) is one of the main side effects of bisphosphonate therapy (BPT). To date, there is no effective therapy of the BP-ONJ...
- Lipid metabolism abnormalities in alcohol-treated rabbits: a morphometric and haematologic study comparing high and low alcohol dosesSatoshi Ikemura
Department of Orthopaedic Surgery, Graduate School of Medical Sciences, Kyushu University, Higashi ku, Fukuoka, Japan
Int J Exp Pathol 92:290-5. 2011The pathogenesis of alcohol-induced osteonecrosis remains unclear. The purpose of the present study was to evaluate the morphological changes in bone marrow fat cells and the changes in the serum lipid levels in alcohol-treated rabbits...
- A PAI-1 (SERPINE1) polymorphism predicts osteonecrosis in children with acute lymphoblastic leukemia: a report from the Children's Oncology GroupDeborah French
Department of Pharmaceutical Sciences, St Jude Children s Research Hospital, Memphis, TN 338105 2794, USA
Blood 111:4496-9. 2008As glucocorticoid use increased in acute lymphoblastic leukemia, osteonecrosis became an increasingly frequent complication. Besides increased age, host risk factors are poorly defined...
- Prospective study on incidence, risk factors, and long-term outcome of osteonecrosis in pediatric acute lymphoblastic leukemiaMariel L te Winkel
Erasmus MC Sophia Children s Hospital, Dr Molewaterplein 60, 3015 GJ Rotterdam, The Netherlands
J Clin Oncol 29:4143-50. 2011We studied cumulative incidence, risk factors, therapeutic strategies, and outcome of symptomatic osteonecrosis in pediatric patients with acute lymphoblastic leukemia (ALL).
- Functional perfusion MRI predicts later occurrence of steroid-associated osteonecrosis: an experimental study in rabbitsHui Sheng
Musculoskeletal Research Laboratory of the Department of Orthopaedics and Traumatology, Prince of Wales Hospital, The Chinese University of Hong Kong, Shatin, New Territories, Hong Kong SAR, China
J Orthop Res 27:742-7. 2009Ischemia is the defined pathway leading to steroid-associated osteonecrosis (ON). Early detection of ischemic condition may help predict later ON occurrence...
- Sinus tracts--an early sign of bisphosphonate-associated osteonecrosis of the jaws?Hani Mawardi
Department of Oral Medicine, Infection and Immunity, Harvard School of Dental Medicine, Boston, MA, USA
J Oral Maxillofac Surg 67:593-601. 2009Bisphosphonate-associated osteonecrosis of the jaw (BONJ) is defined as the presence of exposed bone for at least 8 weeks in patients with exposure to bisphosphonates and no history of radiotherapy to the jaw...
- Nonexposed variant of bisphosphonate-associated osteonecrosis of the jaw: a case seriesStefano Fedele
University College London Eastman Dental Institute, London, UK
Am J Med 123:1060-4. 2010To report a case series of patients with the nonexposed variant of bisphosphonate-associated osteonecrosis of the jaw-a form of jaw osteonecrosis that does not manifest with necrotic bone exposure/mucosal fenestration.
- A systematic review of bisphosphonate osteonecrosis (BON) in cancerCesar Augusto Migliorati
Department of Biologic and Diagnostic Sciences, University of Tennessee Health Science Center, Memphis, TN 38163, USA
Support Care Cancer 18:1099-106. 2010This systematic review aims to examine the prevalence of bisphosphonate osteonecrosis (BON) in the cancer population, prevention and treatment protocols, and quality of life issues.
- Thirteen cases of jaw osteonecrosis in patients on bisphosphonate therapyMarie Hélène Vieillard
Rheumatology Department, Lille Teaching Hospital, Hospital Roger Salengro, CHRU de Lille, Rue Emile Laine, 59037 Lille Cedex, France
Joint Bone Spine 75:34-40. 2008We report on our experience with 13 cases of jaw osteonecrosis in patients treated with amino-bisphosphonates.
- Pathobiology and prevention of cancer chemotherapy-induced bone growth arrest, bone loss, and osteonecrosisC Fan
Sansom Institute for Health Research, and School of Pharmacy and Medical Sciences, University of South Australia, Adelaide 5001, Australia
Curr Mol Med 11:140-51. 2011..and basic studies that appeared from 1990 to 2010 were reviewed for bone defects (growth arrest, bone loss, osteonecrosis, and/or fractures) caused by paediatric cancer chemotherapy...
- Oxidative stress by glutathione depletion induces osteonecrosis in ratsT Ichiseki
Department of Orthopaedic Surgery, Kanazawa Medical University, Ishikawa, Japan
Rheumatology (Oxford) 45:287-90. 2006We recently implicated in vivo oxidative stress in the development of osteonecrosis in a steroid-induced osteonecrosis model in the domestic rabbit...
- Bisphosphonate-associated osteonecrosis of the jaw. A proposal for conservative treatmentSacramento Bocanegra Pérez
Hospital Universitario Insular, Centro de Ciencias de la Salud, Las Palmas de Gran Canaria, Spain
Med Oral Patol Oral Cir Bucal 13:E770-3. 2008..BPs) has proven effective in the treatment of bone-related diseases, despite the potential risk of developing osteonecrosis of the jaw (ONJ). So far, results for the treatment of ONJ have not been satisfactory...
- Updates on bisphosphonates and potential pathobiology of bisphosphonate-induced jaw osteonecrosisJ Sarin
Department of Oral Medicine, School of Dental Medicine, University of Pennsylvania, Philadelphia, PA, USA
Oral Dis 14:277-85. 2008b>Osteonecrosis of the jaws is a major complication associated with long-term use of bisphosphonates...
- Bisphosphonate-related osteonecrosis of the jaw: clinical features, risk factors, management, and treatment outcomes of 26 patientsVivek Thumbigere-Math
Division of Periodontology, University of Minnesota School of Dentistry, Minneapolis, MN 55455, USA
J Oral Maxillofac Surg 67:1904-13. 2009To report the clinical features, risk factors, management, and treatment outcomes of nitrogen-containing bisphosphonate (n-BIS)-related osteonecrosis of the jaw (BRONJ).
- Long-term results of decompression and muscle-pedicle bone grafting for osteonecrosis of the femoral headDurgapada P Baksi
DA 3, Sector I, Salt Lake City, Kolkata, 700064, India
Int Orthop 33:41-7. 2009..4% in stage III, with a survivorship of 91% in Stage II and 82% in Stage III cases. The patients having an HSS score below 20 (non-survival) were recommended for total hip replacement (THR) therapy...
- Osteonecrosis of the jaw (ONJ) in cancer patients treated with Bisphosphonates: how the knowledge of a phenomenon can change its evolutionNicla La Verde
Oncology Department, Azienda Ospedaliera Ospedale Fatebenefratelli e Oftalmico, Milan, Italy
Support Care Cancer 16:1311-5. 2008b>Osteonecrosis of the jaw (ONJ) is a severe complication of bisphosphonates treatment. Bisphosphonates reduce skeletal adverse events and give a clinical benefit to cancer patients...
- Reconstruction of defects caused by bisphosphonate-induced osteonecrosis of the jawsRobert E Marx
Division of Oral and Maxillofacial Surgery, University of Miami Miller School of Medicine, Miami, FL 33137, USA
J Oral Maxillofac Surg 67:107-19. 2009Reconstructive surgery of defects for any disease or injury including bisphosphonate-induced osteonecrosis of the jaws requires an understanding of the pathophysiology of the condition...
- The role of surgical resection in the management of bisphosphonate-related osteonecrosis of the jawsEric R Carlson
Department of Oral and Maxillofacial Surgery, University of Tennessee Medical Center and University of Tennessee Cancer Institute, Knoxville, TN 37920, USA
J Oral Maxillofac Surg 67:85-95. 2009Bisphosphonate-related osteonecrosis of the jaws (BRONJ) is a poorly understood pathologic entity from the standpoints of its nomenclature, frequency, pathogenesis, and best method of treatment...
- Genetic association of angiogenesis- and hypoxia-related gene polymorphisms with osteonecrosis of the femoral headJung Min Hong
Skeletal Diseases Genome Research Center, Kyungpook National University Hospital, Daegu 700 412, Korea
Exp Mol Med 42:376-85. 2010Multiple factors have been implicated in the development of osteonecrosis of the femoral head (ONFH). In particular, non-traumatic ONFH is directly or indirectly related to injury of the vascular supply to the femoral head...
- Bisphosphonates and osteonecrosis of the jaws: science and rationaleRajesh Gutta
Oral and Maxillofacial Surgery, University of Alabama, Birmingham, AL, USA
Oral Surg Oral Med Oral Pathol Oral Radiol Endod 104:186-93. 2007..The controversy of osteonecrosis of the jaws and bisphosphonates is a recent and growing problem...
- Bisphosphonate associated osteonecrosis: an unusual caseP Mehanna
Department of Oral and Maxillofacial Surgery, John Hunter Hospital, Newcastle, New South Wales, Australia
Aust Dent J 55:311-3. 2010The management of bisphosphonate associated osteonecrosis of the jaws (bisphosphonate associated ONJ) is emerging as a significant problem in the field of dentistry and oral and maxillofacial surgery...
- Surgery-triggered and non surgery-triggered Bisphosphonate-related Osteonecrosis of the Jaws (BRONJ): A retrospective analysis of 567 cases in an Italian multicenter studyPaolo Vescovi
Department of Otolaryngological Dental Ophthalmological and Cervico Facial Sciences, University of Parma, Parma, Italy
Oral Oncol 47:191-4. 2011..local procedures are often reported in clinical history of patients suffering from Bisphosphonates-Related Osteonecrosis of the Jaws (BRONJ) but over 40% of spontaneous forms have been also described in literature...
- Osteonecrosis: etiology, diagnosis, and treatmentLynne C Jones
Center for Osteonecrosis Research and Education, Department of Orthopaedic Surgery, Johns Hopkins University School of Medicine, Baltimore, Maryland, USA
Curr Opin Rheumatol 16:443-9. 2004This review provides an update of the recent progress in etiology, pathogenesis, diagnosis, and treatment of osteonecrosis.
- ACTH protects against glucocorticoid-induced osteonecrosis of boneMone Zaidi
The Mount Sinai Bone Program, Mount Sinai School of Medicine, New York, NY 10029, USA
Proc Natl Acad Sci U S A 107:8782-7. 2010We report that adrenocorticotropic hormone (ACTH) protects against osteonecrosis of the femoral head induced by depot methylprednisolone acetate (depomedrol)...
- Zoledronic acid treatment results in retention of femoral head structure after traumatic osteonecrosis in young Wistar ratsDavid G Little
Orthopaedic Research Unit, The Children s Hospital at Westmead, Westmead, New South Wales, Sydney, Australia
J Bone Miner Res 18:2016-22. 2003b>Osteonecrosis (ON) of the femoral head in childhood can lead to loss of femoral head architecture and subsequent deformity...
- Surgical management of bisphosphonate induced osteonecrosis of the jawsR A Williamson
Department of Oral Surgery, Faculty of Medicine and Dentistry, University of Western Australia, 17 Monash Avenue, Perth, WA 6009, Australia
Int J Oral Maxillofac Surg 39:251-5. 2010Recent literature contains numerous articles on osteonecrosis of the jaws (ONJ) associated with bisphosphonate treatment (BPT), with most advocating a conservative approach to management...
- Glucocorticoids in osteonecrosis of the femoral head: a new understanding of the mechanisms of actionMohammad Amin Kerachian
Department of Human Genetics, McGill University Health Center, Montreal, Canada
J Steroid Biochem Mol Biol 114:121-8. 2009Glucocorticoid (GC) usage is the most common non-traumatic cause of osteonecrosis of the femoral head (ON). Despite the strong association of GC with ON, the underlying mechanisms have been unclear...
- Oral bisphosphonate-related osteonecrosis of the jaw: the first report in AsiaJ W Hong
Department of Internal Medicine, Yonsei University College of Medicine, Seoul, South Korea
Osteoporos Int 21:847-53. 2010Bisphosphonate-related osteonecrosis of the jaw (BRONJ) is a serious side effect of bisphosphonate therapy. The incidence of BRONJ is known to be low among patients treated with oral bisphosphonates...
- Very early development of steroid-associated osteonecrosis of femoral head in systemic lupus erythematosus: prospective study by MRIK Nagasawa
Department of Internal Medicine, Saga Medical School, Saga, Japan
Lupus 14:385-90. 2005The objective of this study was to define prospectively the early development of corticosteroid-induced osteonecrosis of femoral head (ONF) in patients with systemic lupus erythematosus (SLE) and to identify the association of initial ..
- Alendronate prevents collapse in mechanically loaded osteochondral grafts: a bone chamber study in ratsMagnus Tagil
Departments of Orthopedics, Lund University Hospital, SE 221 85 Lund, Sweden
Acta Orthop Scand 75:756-61. 2004Subchondral bone necrosis is important in osteonecrosis, Mb Kienboeck, intraarticular fractures or osteochondral grafting. As revascularization follows, bone resorption may lead to collapse in load bearing areas during the remodeling...
- Serologic bone markers for predicting development of osteonecrosis of the jaw in patients receiving bisphosphonatesTowy Sorel Lazarovici
Resident, Department of Oral and Maxillofacial Surgery, Sheba Medical Center, Tel Hashomer, Israel
J Oral Maxillofac Surg 68:2241-7. 2010b>Osteonecrosis of the jaw is a well-documented side effect of bisphosphonate (BP) use. Attempts have recently been made to predict the development of bisphosphonate-related osteonecrosis of the jaw (BRONJ)...
- Pathophysiology of atypical femoral fractures and osteonecrosis of the jawJ Compston
Cambridge University Hospitals NHS Foundation Trust, Cambridge, CB2 0QQ, UK
Osteoporos Int 22:2951-61. 2011In recent years, atypical femoral fractures and osteonecrosis of the jaw have emerged as potential complications of long-term bisphosphonate therapy; osteonecrosis of the jaw has also been reported in patients receiving high doses of ..
- Bisphosphonate-related osteonecrosis of the jaws: a case series of 25 patients affected by osteoporosisM Manfredi
Oral Medicine, Oral Pathology and Laser Assisted Surgery Unit, University of Parma, Italy
Int J Oral Maxillofac Surg 40:277-84. 2011..In this study the occurrence of bisphosphonates-related osteonecrosis of the jaws (BRONJ) is reported in 25 patients who received BP therapy for osteoporosis with different drug ..
- Vasculature deprivation--induced osteonecrosis of the rat femoral head as a model for therapeutic trialsJacob Bejar
Department of Pathology, the Bnai Zion Medical Center, The Bruce Rapapport Faculty of Medicine, Technion Israel Institute of Technology, Haifa, Israel
Theor Biol Med Model 2:24. 2005EXPERIMENTAL OSTEONECROSIS: The authors' experience with experimentally produced femoral capital osteonecrosis in rats is reviewed: incising the periosteum at the base of the neck of the femur and cutting the ligamentum teres leads to ..
- Possible association between diabetes and bisphosphonate-related jaw osteonecrosisMogher Khamaisi
Department of Internal Medicine B and the Diabetes Center, Hebrew University Hadassah Medical Center, Kiryat Hadassah, P O Box 12000, Jerusalem 91120, Israel
J Clin Endocrinol Metab 92:1172-5. 2007Bisphosphonate-related osteonecrosis (BON) of the jaws is a newly identified condition for which the exact mechanism involved in its pathogenesis remains obscure.
- Differential impairment of vascularization and angiogenesis in bisphosphonate-associated osteonecrosis of the jaw-related mucoperiosteal tissueFalk Wehrhan
Department of Oral and Maxillofacial Surgery, University of Erlangen Nuremberg, Erlangen, Germany
Oral Surg Oral Med Oral Pathol Oral Radiol Endod 112:216-21. 2011Impaired vascularization in the etiopathology of aminobisphosphonate-associated osteonecrosis of the jaw (BONJ) is assumed, but evidence is lacking...
- Early MRI diagnosis and non-surgical management of spontaneous osteonecrosis of the kneePiers J Yates
North Hampshire Hospital, Basingstoke, Hampshire, UK
Knee 14:112-6. 2007Spontaneous osteonecrosis of the knee (SONK) is generally associated with a poor prognosis but the outcome depends on the clinical and radiological stage at which the patients present...
- The treatment of bisphosphonate-associated osteonecrosis of the jaws with bone resection and autologous platelet-derived growth factorsMichael C Adornato
Faxton St Luke s Healthcare Dental Service, New Hartford, NY, USA
J Am Dent Assoc 138:971-7. 2007..Bisphosphonates are bone resorption inhibitors and have been associated with osteonecrosis of the jaws...
- Angiogenic suppression of osteoclasts may play a role in developing bisphosphonate-related osteonecrosis of the jawGuozhu Yin
State Key Laboratory of Oral Disease, Sichuan University, Renmin South Avenue, Chengdu 610041, Sichuan Province, PR China
Med Hypotheses 76:347-9. 2011..it was firstly reported in 2003, a large number of cases have been published concerning bisphosphonate-related osteonecrosis of the jaw (BRONJ)...
- Bisphosphonate-associated oral osteonecrosisCesar Augusto Migliorati
Oral Surg Oral Med Oral Pathol Oral Radiol Endod 99:135. 2005
- The pathogenesis of bisphosphonate-related osteonecrosis of the jaw: so many hypotheses, so few dataMatthew R Allen
Department of Anatomy and Cell Biology, Indiana University School of Medicine, Indianapolis, IN 46202, USA
J Oral Maxillofac Surg 67:61-70. 2009Bisphosphonate-related osteonecrosis of the jaw (BRONJ) has generated great interest in the medical and research communities yet remains an enigma, given its unknown pathogenesis...
- Avascular jaw osteonecrosis in association with cancer chemotherapy: series of 10 casesJ V Bagan
Department of Stomatology, Oral Medicine, University General Hospital, Valencia University, Valencia, Spain
J Oral Pathol Med 34:120-3. 2005We present a series of 10 patients with osteonecrosis of the jaws (ONJ) that appeared following cancer chemotherapy.
- Protective effect of genistein aglycone on the development of osteonecrosis of the femoral head and secondary osteoporosis induced by methylprednisolone in ratsAlessandra Bitto
Section of Pharmacology, Department of Clinical and Experimental Medicine and Pharmacology, Torre Biologica 5th Floor, c o AOU Policlinico G Martino, Messina, Italy
J Endocrinol 201:321-8. 2009..We investigated whether GEN could prevent GIO as well as the development of osteonecrosis in the femoral head using an experimental rat model...
- Treatment results of bisphosphonate-related osteonecrosis of the jawsArno Wutzl
University Hospital of Cranio, Maxillofacial and Oral Surgery, Medical University of Vienna, Vienna, Austria
Head Neck 30:1224-30. 2008b>Osteonecrosis of the jaws occurs after the administration of bisphosphonates. An unequivocal treatment strategy is yet to be devised. We assess the treatment of patients with bisphosphonate-related osteonecrosis of the jaws (BRONJ).
- Osteoporosis and bisphosphonates-related osteonecrosis of the jaw: not just a sporadic coincidence--a multi-centre studySven Otto
Department of Oral and Maxillofacial Surgery, University of Munich, Lindwurmstr 2a, D 80336 Munich, Germany
J Craniomaxillofac Surg 39:272-7. 2011..Adverse side effects are rare but potentially severe such as bisphosphonate-related osteonecrosis of the jaw (BRONJ)...
- Pharmacovigilance and reporting oversight in US FDA fast-track process: bisphosphonates and osteonecrosis of the jawBeatrice J Edwards
Divisions of Hematology Oncology and Geriatric Medicine, Department of Medicine, Northwestern University Feinberg School of Medicine, Chicago, IL USA
Lancet Oncol 9:1166-72. 2008..reports of nine patients with cancer, who were treated with zoledronic acid, who unexpectedly developed osteonecrosis of the jaw...
- Osteonecrosis of the jaws due to bisphosphonate use. A review of 60 cases and treatment proposalsChristos Magopoulos
Department of Oral and Maxillofacial Surgery, Aristotle University, Thessaloniki, Greece
Am J Otolaryngol 28:158-63. 2007..The only clinical feature common in all patients was the use of bisphosphonates in the treatment of bone diseases...
- Bisphosphonate-related osteonecrosis of the jaw: diagnosis, prevention, and managementSalvatore L Ruggiero
New York Center for Orthognathic and Maxillofacial Surgery, Lake Success, New York 11042, USA
Annu Rev Med 60:85-96. 2009..has raised concerns about potential side effects related to profound bone remodeling inhibition and osteonecrosis isolated to the jaws...
- Factors associated with osteonecrosis of the jaw among bisphosphonate usersLisa M Hess
College of Medicine, Arizona Cancer Center, University of Arizona, Tucson, AZ 85724 5024, USA
Am J Med 121:475-483.e3. 2008Bisphosphonates are medications that impact bone reformation by inhibiting osteoclast function. Osteonecrosis of the jaw has been reported among patients receiving these medications...
- The incidence of osteonecrosis of the jaw in patients receiving 5 milligrams of zoledronic acid: data from the health outcomes and reduced incidence with zoledronic acid once yearly clinical trials programJohn T Grbic
Columbia University College of Dental Medicine, New York City, NY 10032, USA
J Am Dent Assoc 141:1365-70. 2010..Outcomes and Reduced Incidence with Zoledronic Acid Once Yearly-Pivotal Fracture Trial found one case of osteonecrosis of the jaw (ONJ) in a patient with postmenopausal osteoporosis (OP) treated with 5 milligrams of zoledronic ..
- Cell-based immunotherapy with mesenchymal stem cells cures bisphosphonate-related osteonecrosis of the jaw-like disease in miceTakashi Kikuiri
Center for Craniofacial Molecular Biology, University of Southern California School of Dentistry, Los Angeles, CA 90033, USA
J Bone Miner Res 25:1668-79. 2010..on high-dose bisphosphonate and immunosuppressive therapy have an increased risk of bisphosphonate-related osteonecrosis of the jaw (BRONJ); despite the disease severity, its pathophysiology remains unknown, and appropriate therapy ..
- Molecular Mechanisms in Bone ResorptionSteven A Lietman; Fiscal Year: 2013..speculate that the unique physical characteristics of the mouth and alveolar bone can provide a link between osteonecrosis of the jaw and cherubism...
- ATF4 and OsteoclastogenesisGuozhi Xiao; Fiscal Year: 2013..other cancers and Paget's disease of bone, have a severe side effect called bisphosphonate- associated osteonecrosis of the jaw via undefined mechanism(s)...
- Molecular Mechanisms in Bone ResorptionSteven A Lietman; Fiscal Year: 2012..discrete location of these lesions may have important implications for understanding the pathophysiology of osteonecrosis of the jaw...
- Repair of Bone Defects with Human Autologous Pluripotent Very Small Embryonic likRussell S Taichman; Fiscal Year: 2013..information is available on bone remodeling in the human craniofacial skeleton, nor the mechanisms involved in osteonecrosis of the jaw and there are few effective treatments...
- Correlating and Quantifying Mechanically-induced Bone Cell MicrodamageMarnie M Saunders; Fiscal Year: 2012..by applicant): Bone destruction is a theme central to many bone-related conditions such as osteoporosis, osteonecrosis of the jaw, stress fractures and osteolysis...
- Biomaterials (Mf/Zn/F-BCPs) for osteoporosis therapyYu Zhang; Fiscal Year: 2012..Furthermore, many of these drugs have serious side effects (e.g., breast cancer from estrogen therapy, osteonecrosis of the jaw and delayed healing from bisphosphonate-based drugs)...
- Technology platform for development of multi-component preservation solutionAllison Hubel; Fiscal Year: 2013..disorders (stroke, myocardial infarction), diabetes, connective tissue disorders (cartilage defects, osteonecrosis, limb ischemia), chronic obstructive pulmonary disease, nervous system disorders (multiple sclerosis, ..
- Salivary Biomarkers in the Diagnosis of BRONJTara L Aghaloo; Fiscal Year: 2013..Her current R01 grant focuses on the pathophysiology of bisphosphonate related osteonecrosis of the jaws (BRONJ), by studying both in vitro mechanisms of osteoclast inhibition by bisphosphonates (BPs) ..
- Oral Mucosa in Bisphosphonate-associated Osteonecrosis of the JawKotaro Sena; Fiscal Year: 2010Bisphosphonate-associated osteonecrosis of the jaw (ONJ) adversely affects the quality of life and produces significant morbidity in afflicted patients. It is characterized by the finding of exposed alveolar bone in the oral cavity...
- Mesenchymal Regulation of Jaw Bone LengthErin L Ealba; Fiscal Year: 2013..has implications for repair and regeneration of bones injured by trauma or diseases like osteoporosis and osteonecrosis. We are hopeful that our research will provide a foundation for biologically based, non-surgical methods to ..
- Transcriptional Regulation of Osteoclast Lineage Commitment and DifferentiationYi Ping Li; Fiscal Year: 2013..g., jaw osteonecrosis) of currently used osteoclast inhibitors may outweigh the benefits...
- Drug-eluting Stapes Prosthesis for the Prevention of Sensorineural Hearing LossMichael J McKenna; Fiscal Year: 2013..effects can occur with systemic administration in humans such as inhibition of all skeletal remodeling and osteonecrosis of the jaw...
- Pathophysiologic mechanisms of biosphosphonate related osteonecrosis of the jawsSotirios Tetradis; Fiscal Year: 2012..bone mineral density, reduce fracture risk, and reduce hypercalcemia of malignancy, many patients develop osteonecrosis of the jaws...
- Treatment of glucocorticoid-induced osteonecrosis with nano-fullerenesQuanjun Cui; Fiscal Year: 2013..objective of this project is to establish an innovative therapeutic approach toward glucocorticoid-induced osteonecrosis of the femoral head (ONFH), using nano-fullerenes which function as outstanding reactive oxygen species (ROS) ..
- Intracellular trafficking of Bisphosphonates in bone mesenchymal Stem CellsSunday O Akintoye; Fiscal Year: 2013..Unfortunately, osteonecrosis of the jaw (ONJ) is a major complication of n-BP therapy...
- GINGIVA DERIVED MSCS: ROLE IN IMMUNOMODULATION AND TISSUE REGENERATIONYufang Shi; Fiscal Year: 2013..inhibiting Th17 cells, and consequently, suppress tissue destruction in our inflammation-related tissue injury/osteonecrosis model induced by bisphosphonate (BRONJ)...
- Oral Mucosa Barrier and Bisphosphonate-related Osteonecrosis of the JawIchiro Nishimura; Fiscal Year: 2013..In the recent years, there have been a number of cases reporting osteonecrosis of the jaw (ONJ) subsequent to nitrogen-containing BP treatment...
- Bisphosphonate-related osteonecrosis of the jaw: Bridging the clinical-preclinicaMatthew R Allen; Fiscal Year: 2010DESCRIPTION (provided by applicant): Bisphosphonate-related osteonecrosis of the jaw (BRONJ), the presence of exposed bone in the oral cavity with current/previous bisphosphonate treatment and without prior exposure to radiation, has ..
- Bone Turnover Effects on Bisphosphonate Concentration in the MandibleKenneth M Kozloff; Fiscal Year: 2012DESCRIPTION (provided by applicant): Osteonecrosis of the jaw (ONJ) is an emerging condition that has been associated with bisphosphonate use, typically in the context of cancer treatment...
- Mesenchymal Regulation of OsteogenesisRichard A Schneider; Fiscal Year: 2013..has implications for repair and regeneration of bones injured by trauma or diseases like osteoporosis and osteonecrosis. We are hopeful that our research will provide a foundation for biologically based, non-surgical methods to ..
- Pathophysiology of Biphosphonate-Induced ONJ in a Novel Animal ModelJ Ignacio Aguirre; Fiscal Year: 2010DESCRIPTION (provided by applicant): In recent years, osteonecrosis of the jaw (ONJ) has been identified as a potential complication of bisphosphonate (BP) treatment...
- Treatment of SLE with ajulemic acid, a non-psychoactive cannabinoid derivativeMeggan Mackay; Fiscal Year: 2013..and kidney toxicity in the case of NSAIDS, somnolence, constipation and nausea for narcotics and osteoporosis, osteonecrosis, diabetes, cataracts and atherosclerosis for corticosteroids...
- Physical Activity to Modify Sequelae and QOL in Childhood ALL: A Nursing TrialCheryl Lorane Cox; Fiscal Year: 2013..g., diabetes, osteonecrosis, osteoporosis, cardiovascular disease)...
- Deep South Musculoskeletal (DSM) CERTsKenneth G Saag; Fiscal Year: 2010..Patients by a High-intensity Intervention;(c) Defining Serious Adverse Events from Biologic Therapies;and (d) Osteonecrosis of the Jaw: An Emerging Threat for Bisphosphonate Users;2) Educate health care practitioners, insurers, and ..
- Tissue engineering application of endochondral ossification for bone regenerationCHELSEA SHIELDS BAHNEY; Fiscal Year: 2013..tissue with poor vascularity and poor host integration that leads to clinical failures associated with osteonecrosis or dislodgement...
- Modeling fracture prediction in spinal cord injury and diseaseLaura D Carbone; Fiscal Year: 2013..Recently, serious side effects from pharmacological therapies for osteoporosis including osteonecrosis of the jaw and atypical femoral fractures have been reported...
- Molecular mechanisms of drug-induced ONJ and osteomucosal chronic woundsREUBEN HAN KYU KIM; Fiscal Year: 2013..accumulate at the alarming rate that certain drugs used to treat bone- associated diseases specifically induce osteonecrosis of the jaw (ONJ) and delay wound healing of oral mucosa, leading to considerable clinical complications and ..
- Glucocorticoid Regimens and Cardiovascular RiskSteven C Vlad; Fiscal Year: 2013..million persons, all with detailed pharmacy records, to study the risks of various GC regimens on developing osteonecrosis. Here, we will extend this research, using methods currently being piloted, to assess the risk of different GC ..
- Effectiveness of DiscontinuinG bisphosphonatEs Study (EDGE)Kenneth G Saag; Fiscal Year: 2013..certain fractures types, and safety concerns have emerged about longer-term use of these agents, particularly osteonecrosis of the jaw and atypical femur fractures...
- Glucocorticoids in Lymphoblastic LeukemiaMary V Relling; Fiscal Year: 2013..major dose-limiting adverse effect of glucocorticoids in modern ALL clinical trials is glucocorticoid-induced osteonecrosis or avascular necrosis...
- Osteonecrosis of the Jaw in Non-Cancer Patients Using BisphosphonatesDANIEL HAL SOLOMON; Fiscal Year: 2010Bisphosphonates are the most common treatment for osteoporosis. In the last few years, increasing reports of osteonecrosis of the jaw (ONJ) have raised considerable concerns regarding the long-term safety of these agents...
- Genetic Risk of Osteonecrosis of the Jaw (ONJ) in Patients with Metastatic CancerCatherine H Van Poznak; Fiscal Year: 2013..clinical and genetic data to establish an individualized patient specific profile of risk for developing osteonecrosis of the jaw (ONJ), an oral lesion with exposed, necrotic bone...
- Antiresorptive-Induced Fragile Oral Wound HealingJunro Yamashita; Fiscal Year: 2013DESCRIPTION (provided by applicant): Osteonecrosis of the jaw (ONJ) is associated with antiresorptive therapy. The pathophysiology of ONJ is unknown and no established treatment is currently available...
- UHMWPE Composite Materials for Joint ImplantsMichael D Diener; Fiscal Year: 2012..RELEVANCE: Joint implants are an effective treatment for those with rheumatoid arthritis, osteoarthritis, osteonecrosis, and other severe destructive injuries;within the U.S...
- NONLINEAR COMPUTATIONAL BIOMECHANICS OF THE HIPThomas Brown; Fiscal Year: 2004..of the treatment of hip disease and injury, including total hip arthroplasty, intra-articular fractures, osteonecrosis, and developmental dysplasia...
- NONLINEAR COMPUTATIONAL BIOMECHANICS OF THE HIPThomas Brown; Fiscal Year: 2000..of the treatment of hip disease and injury, including total hip arthroplasty, intra-articular fractures, osteonecrosis, and developmental dysplasia...
- CELL-CELL COMMUNICATION IN CORTICAL BONE REPAIRFrederic Shapiro; Fiscal Year: 1991..repair is of major importance in the management of orthopaedic conditions as diverse as complex fractures, osteonecrosis of the femoral head, and the repair of large defects left by tumor resections, limb lengthenings, or massive ..
- The Emu as a Model for Necrotic Femoral Head CollapseThomas Brown; Fiscal Year: 2006DESCRIPTION (provided by applicant): Femoral head osteonecrosis remains a major unsolved problem in orthopedic surgery of the hip...
- Nanocomposite UHMWPEMICHAEL DIENER; Fiscal Year: 2009..RELEVANCE: Joint implants are an effective treatment for those with rheumatoid arthritis, osteoarthritis, osteonecrosis, and other severe destructive injuries;within the U.S...
- Genome-Wide Association Studies in Sickle Cell Anemia and in CentenariansMartin H Steinberg; Fiscal Year: 2010..we will compare associations with clinical features of HbSS including blood pressure, survival, stroke, osteonecrosis, priapism, leg ulcers and an integrated measure of disease severity and also selected laboratory measurements ..
- Small molecule compound-based method to induce new bone formation and prevent perRICHARD JIN; Fiscal Year: 2007..bone-sparing drugs that are most prescribed in treating osteoporosis, have been linked to the development of osteonecrosis of the jaw (ONJ)...
- OSTEONECROSIS AMONG RENAL TRANSPLANT RECIPIENTSKenneth Saag; Fiscal Year: 2001..Afflicting 10-20% of recipients, osteonecrosis [ON] is second only to osteoporosis as the most common post-transplant skeletal complication and usually ..
- Bisphosphosphonate-Related Osteonecrosis of the Jaw: A Pilot Pharmacogenetic StudAthanasios Zavras; Fiscal Year: 2008..acid and pamidronate are potent bisphosphonates (BP) that have been associated with increased risk of osteonecrosis of the jaw (ONJ) in cancer patients...
- The Role of Osteocyte Survival in Bone StrengthRobert Weinstein; Fiscal Year: 2005..The proposed research plan will reveal the role of osteocyte survival in bone strength and how osteocytes achieve this objective. ..
- Physical Regulation of Skeletal Repair WorkshopRoy Aaron; Fiscal Year: 2003..Finally, how repairing skeletal tissues organize physical information to augment the repair process, and what translational opportunities exist, will be considered. ..
- Mineral and Mechanical Properties of BoneSarandeep Huja; Fiscal Year: 2005..Future interventional studies will examine the mechanisms for the initial and the long-term adaptive response in material properties of bone. ..
- Growth Hormone and Rosiglitazone for Visceral AdoposityMarshall Glesby; Fiscal Year: 2007..If the results are as predicted, then combination therapy with rhGH and rosiglitazone may prove to be a highly effective treatment for visceral adiposity in HIV-infected patients. ..
- Utilizing Saliva to Measure Bone TurnoverSreenivas Koka; Fiscal Year: 2007..We anticipate that our results will identify how salivary biomarkers can be used to assess the osseo-status of patients with, or at risk for, osteoporosis. [unreadable] [unreadable] [unreadable] [unreadable]..
- Pregnancy Outcomes in Polycystic Ovary SyndromeJoan Lo; Fiscal Year: 2009....
- RISK FOR ENAMEL FLUOROSIS AMONG NORWEGIAN CHILDRENDavid Pendrys; Fiscal Year: 2003..Caries examination will allow comparison with fluorosis and early fluoride exposures. ..
- Determinants of HbF Response to HydroxyureaMartin Steinberg; Fiscal Year: 2005..5 cM resolution. We hope ultimately to discover SNPs, haplotypes or genes that predict or modulate the HbF response to hydroxyurea and better define HbF regulation in sickle cell anemia. ..
- BONE AND KNEE LOADINGHiroki Yokota; Fiscal Year: 2005..The proposed study will contribute to development of a novel loading model to strengthen bone without causing deformation of fragile bone in the elderly. ..
- Tooth Eruption: Role of Dental Follicle & PTH ReceptorLaurie McCauley; Fiscal Year: 2006..Furthermore, these studies will enhance our basic knowledge as to the role of PTHrP and PTH-1R interactions in controlling mineralized tissue homeostasis. ..
- Sun Valley Workshop on Skeletal BiologyDavid Burr; Fiscal Year: 2005..An Advisory Panel is formed of session chairs. There are plans to advertise and distribute a summary of the workshop, partly using Web-based resources. ..
- Anticancer Agent Pharmacodynamics in Acute LeukemiaMary Relling; Fiscal Year: 2006..Our long- term goal is to identify host- and treatment-related risk factors for t-AML so that we can design less leukemogenic anticancer treatment regimens, with improved efficacy for the primary ALL. ..
- RAGE, Inflammation and Temporomandibular Joint DisordersRegina Landesberg; Fiscal Year: 2006..If successful, these studies will identify new markers for disease activity in TMD, as well as new targets for therapeutic intervention. ..
- Sun Valley Workshop on Skeletal BiologyDavid Burr; Fiscal Year: 2006..There are plans to advertise and distribute a summary of the workshop, partly using Web-based resources. [unreadable] [unreadable] [unreadable] [unreadable]..
- Analysis of perlecan in the skeletal systemKathryn Rodgers; Fiscal Year: 2006..The ability of perlecan domain I alone to rescue the perlecan null phenotype in cartilage will be addressed using transgenic mice, a project related to the disease dysssegmental dysplasia, Silverman-Handmaker type. ..
- Bisphosphonates and Oral Complications of Cancer Chemotherapy: A Pilot StudyRegina Landesberg; Fiscal Year: 2007..Many, but not all patients had dental extractions or surgical manipulation prior to the development of osteonecrosis (ON)...
- GENETIC FACTORS CAUSING LONGEVITY IN CENTENARIANS AND THEIR OFFSPRINGClinton Baldwin; Fiscal Year: 2008..unreadable] [unreadable] [unreadable]..
- Ethnic Differences in Survival after Childhood ALLSmita Bhatia; Fiscal Year: 2009..abstract_text> ..
- Sun Valley Workshop on Skeletal BiologyDavid Burr; Fiscal Year: 2004..An Advisory Panel is formed of session chairs. There are plans to advertise and distribute a summary of the workshop, partly using Web-based resources. ..