Genomes and Genes
hiv wasting syndrome
Summary: Involuntary weight loss of greater than 10 percent associated with intermittent or constant fever and chronic diarrhea or fatigue for more than 30 days in the absence of a defined cause other than HIV infection. A constant feature is major muscle wasting with scattered myofiber degeneration. A variety of etiologies, which vary among patients, contributes to this syndrome. (From Harrison's Principles of Internal Medicine, 13th ed, p1611).
Publications148 found, 100 shown here
- Role of recombinant human growth hormone in HIV-associated wasting and cachexia: pathophysiology and rationale for treatmentMarie Gelato
Department of Medicine, State University of New York at Stony Brook, Stony Brook, NY, USA
Clin Ther 29:2269-88. 2007..Although the incidence of HIV-associated wasting may have declined since the introduction of highly active antiretroviral therapy (HAART), it continues to be a concern in this patient population...
- Nutrition and HIV infection: review of weight loss and wasting in the era of highly active antiretroviral therapy from the nutrition for healthy living cohortA Mangili
Division of Geographic Medicine and Infectious Diseases, Department of Medicine, Tufts New England Medical Center, Boston, MA, USA
Clin Infect Dis 42:836-42. 2006..This information is intended to raise awareness among health care providers of HIV-infected patients that weight loss and wasting remain important acquired immunodeficiency syndrome-defining conditions, despite the advent of HAART...
- Testosterone therapy in HIV wasting syndrome: systematic review and meta-analysisAnthony Kong
St Bartholomew s Hospital, London, UK
Lancet Infect Dis 2:692-9. 2002..total body weight, over-all exercise functional capacity, and perceived quality of life in patients with HIV wasting syndrome and its adverse effects...
- Diarrhea and reduced levels of antiretroviral drugs: improvement with glutamine or alanyl-glutamine in a randomized controlled trial in northeast BrazilOluma Y Bushen
Center for Global Health, Division of Infectious Diseases and International Health, University of Virginia, Charlottesville, VA 22908, USA
Clin Infect Dis 38:1764-70. 2004....
- Weight loss and survival in HIV-positive patients in the era of highly active antiretroviral therapyAlice M Tang
Department of Family Medicine and Community Health, Tufts University School of Medicine, Boston, MA 02111, USA
J Acquir Immune Defic Syndr 31:230-6. 2002..In addition, FFM or BCM estimated using bioelectrical impedance analysis does not add further prognostic value over weight loss...
- Nutritional status of Malawian adults on antiretroviral therapy 1 year after supplementary feeding in the first 3 months of therapyMacDonald Ndekha
Department of Community Health, College of Medicine, University of Malawi, Blantyre, Malawi
Trop Med Int Health 14:1059-63. 2009....
- Management of HIV wasting syndrome: a consensus conferenceDonald Kotler
Section of GI Immunology, HIV Clinical and Research Program, St Luke s Roosevelt Hospital Center, Department of Medicine, Columbia College of Physicians and Surgeons, New York, NY, USA
J Acquir Immune Defic Syndr 37:S261. 2004
- Pathogenesis and consequences of HIV-associated wastingChristine Wanke
Department of Medicine, Tufts University School of Medicine, Boston, MA 02111, USA
J Acquir Immune Defic Syndr 37:S277-9. 2004..In patients with HIV wasting, therapies should be directed both at reversing the underlying source of protein energy malnutrition and at other factors that may be contributing to weight loss...
- Changes in the incidence and predictors of wasting syndrome related to human immunodeficiency virus infection, 1987-1999Ellen Smit
Department of Social and Preventive Medicine, School of Medicine and Biological Sciences, University at Buffalo, Buffalo, NY 14214 3000, USA
Am J Epidemiol 156:211-8. 2002..05) and potent ART (p = 0.097). Predictors of wasting have changed with potent ART. Further research is needed to determine whether lipodystrophy may be misdiagnosed as wasting syndrome...
- HIV-related wasting in HIV-infected drug users in the era of highly active antiretroviral therapyAdriana Campa
Florida International University, College of Health and Urban Affairs, Miami, Florida 33199, USA
Clin Infect Dis 41:1179-85. 2005..We investigated this concern in a hard-to-reach population of HIV-infected drug users in Miami, Florida...
- Comparison of standard and immune-enhancing oral formulas in asymptomatic HIV-infected persons: a multicenter randomized controlled clinical trialJoyce K Keithley
Rush University College of Nursing, Illinois, Chicago, USA
JPEN J Parenter Enteral Nutr 26:6-14. 2002..A secondary aim was to evaluate the feasibility of maintaining a diverse sample of outpatients on a long-term oral formula protocol...
- The clinical profile of end-stage AIDS in the era of highly active antiretroviral therapyKathleen Welch
Louisiana Office of Public Health, Centers for Disease Control and Prevention, New Orleans, Louisiana, USA
AIDS Patient Care STDS 16:75-81. 2002..These results should help clinicians better time the discussion of end-stage options and improve the patient's quality of life...
- A randomized, placebo-controlled trial of nandrolone decanoate in human immunodeficiency virus-infected men with mild to moderate weight loss with recombinant human growth hormone as active reference treatmentThomas W Storer
Division of Endocrinology, Metabolism, and Molecular Medicine, Charles R Drew University of Medicine and Science, Los Angeles, California 90059, USA
J Clin Endocrinol Metab 90:4474-82. 2005....
- Effect of recombinant human growth hormone on exercise capacity in patients with HIV-associated wasting on HAARTWilliam J Evans
Donald W Reynolds Institute on Aging, University of Arkansas for Medical Sciences, Little Rock, Arkansas, USA
AIDS Read 15:301-3, 306-8, 310, 314. 2005..85 kJ (P < .0001). These improvements suggest that rhGH treatment may enable patients with wasting to perform activities of daily living that would be exhausting without rhGH treatment...
- Strategies for treating HIV-related lipodystrophyM A Garcia-Viejo
Infectious Diseases Unit, Clinical Institute of Infectious Diseases and Immunology, IDIBAPS Hospital Clinic University, C Villarroel, 170, E 08036 Barcelona, Spain
Expert Opin Investig Drugs 10:1443-56. 2001..A judicious use of available data, and opting for an individualised approach seems the best option for management of this problem at present...
- Soluble tumour necrosis factor alpha receptor 2, a serum marker of resistance to the anabolic actions of growth hormone in subjects with HIV diseaseMarie C Gelato
Department of Medicine, Division of Endocrinology, HSC T15 060, State University of New York at Stony Brook, Stony Brook, NY 11794 18154, U S A
Clin Sci (Lond) 102:85-90. 2002....
- Editorial comment: use of recombinant human growth hormone for wasting--questions for clinical practiceChristine Wanke
AIDS Read 15:309. 2005
- Increasing risk of 5% or greater unintentional weight loss in a cohort of HIV-infected patients, 1995 to 2003Alice M Tang
Division of Nutrition and Infection, Department of Family Medicine and Community Health, Tufts University School of Medicine, Boston, MA 02111, USA
J Acquir Immune Defic Syndr 40:70-6. 2005Although the incidence of most AIDS-defining opportunistic infections, including HIV wasting syndrome, has dramatically decreased since the introduction of highly active antiretroviral therapy (HAART), previous studies have shown that ..
- A comparison of the clinical and cost-effectiveness of 3 intervention strategies for AIDS wastingAbby H Shevitz
Nutrition Infection Unit, Department of Community Health, Tufts University, Boston, MA 02111, USA
J Acquir Immune Defic Syndr 38:399-406. 2005..To compare oxandrolone (OX) or strength training with nutrition alone (NA) for AIDS wasting...
- Treatment of HIV-associated wasting with recombinant human growth hormone: monitoring of body composition changes by bioelectrical impedance analysis (BIA)H Jager
Kuratorium für Immunschwäche KIS, Karlsplatz 8 Stachus, D 80333 Muenchen, Germany
Eur J Med Res 7:103-8. 2002..Recent studies suggest that patients receiving HAART may still experience HAW. We investigated the nature of HAW and the efficacy of r-hGH in these patients...
- Body composition and nutritional parameters in HIV and AIDS patientsJerome Salomon
Department of Infectious Diseases and Clinical Nutrition, Raymond Poincare University Hospital, Garches, France
Clin Chem Lab Med 40:1329-33. 2002..Transthyretin seems to be particularly useful to follow the recovery period of malnutrition...
- Treatment guidelines for HIV-associated wastingBruce Polsky
Department of Medicine, Division of Infectious Diseases, St Luke s Roosevelt Hospital Center, New York, NY, USA
HIV Clin Trials 5:50-61. 2004
- Clinical lipoatrophy in HIV-1 patients on HAART is not associated with increased abdominal girth, hyperlipidaemia or glucose intoleranceD Worm
Department of Medical Physiology, The Panum Institute, University of Copenhagen, Copenhagen, Denmark
HIV Med 3:239-46. 2002..To compare information on body fat changes from questionnaire and clinical examination and to study lipoatrophy in HIV-1 patients on highly active antiretroviral therapy (HAART)...
- Prevalence and predictors of HIV-associated weight loss in the era of highly active antiretroviral therapyMarijka J Batterham
Department of Nutrition and Dietetics, Royal Prince Alfred Hospital, Missenden Road, Camperdown, Sydney, NSW 2050, Australia
Int J STD AIDS 13:744-7. 2002..0008). Weight loss is still common in the HAART era. HIV VL was the most significant predictor of weight loss in this sample. Inadequate dietary intake and self-reported lipodystrophy were not related to weight loss in this population...
- Role of nutrition in the management of HIV infection/AIDSSwati Sherlekar
Department of Food Science and Nutrition, SNDT Women s University, Mumbai
J Indian Med Assoc 100:385-90. 2002..This can be achieved by (a) nutritional assessment, (b) nutritional screening, (c) nutritional intervention and by providing (d) psychosocial support for nutrition...
- Growth hormone improves lean body mass, physical performance, and quality of life in subjects with HIV-associated weight loss or wasting on highly active antiretroviral therapyGraeme J Moyle
HIV Research and HIV GU Medicine Department, Chelsea and Westminster Hospital, London, UK
J Acquir Immune Defic Syndr 35:367-75. 2004..In conclusion, over the 12-week course of therapy, rhGH, 0.1 mg/kg DD, was superior to placebo in improving physical function, body weight, body composition, and QoL and was superior to AD dosing in restoring LBM...
- Growth hormone treatment improves peripheral muscle oxygen extraction-utilization during exercise in patients with human immunodeficiency virus-associated wasting: a randomized controlled trialJohn G Esposito
Graduate Department of Rehabilitation Science, Faculty of Medicine, University of Toronto, Ontario, Canada M5G 1X5
J Clin Endocrinol Metab 89:5124-31. 2004..Therefore, treatment with rhGH leads to an improvement in peripheral muscle oxygen extraction-utilization and the Q-VO(2) relationship during exercise in patients with HIV-associated wasting despite antiretroviral therapy...
- Role of cytokines and testosterone in regulating lean body mass and resting energy expenditure in HIV-infected menRonenn Roubenoff
Department of Community Health, Jean Mayer US Department of Agriculture Human Nutrition Research Center, Tufts University, Boston, Massachusetts 02111, USA
Am J Physiol Endocrinol Metab 283:E138-45. 2002..Even though weight loss was rare in this cohort of patients treated with highly active antiretroviral therapy, loss of LBM was common and was driven by catabolic cytokines and not by inadequate dietary intake or hypogonadism...
- Identifying and managing morphologic complications of HIV and HAARTJudith Currier
University of California, Los Angeles, School of Medicine, USA
AIDS Read 12:114-9, 124-5. 2002..Prospective, controlled clinical trials are needed to determine the long-term efficacy of these approaches...
- Double-blind, randomized, placebo-controlled phase III trial of oxymetholone for the treatment of HIV wastingUlrich R Hengge
STD Unit, Department of Dermatology and Venerology, University of Essen, Germany
AIDS 17:699-710. 2003....
- Treatment with nandrolone decanoate and megestrol acetate in HIV-infected menCristina Cuerda
Nutrition Unit, Hospital General Universitario Gregorio Maranon, 28007 Madrid, Spain
Nutr Clin Pract 20:93-7. 2005..Malnutrition, especially loss of lean body mass, is a frequent complication of people living with HIV that may increase their mortality and morbidity...
- Changing patterns of clinical events in perinatally HIV-1-infected children during the era of HAARTElena Chiappini
Department of Paediatrics, University of Florence, Via Luca Giordano 13, I 50132 Florence, Italy
AIDS 21:1607-15. 2007..The introduction of HAART has decreased mortality and progression to AIDS in perinatally HIV-1-infected children, but information on modification of the rate of specific clinical events is limited...
- Causes of death in the era of highly active antiretroviral therapy: a retrospective analysis of a hybrid hematology-oncology and HIV practice and the Seattle/King county adult/adolescent spectrum of HIV-related diseases projectMatthew C Uhlenkott
University of Washington School of Medicine, Seattle, Washington, USA
Am J Med Sci 336:217-23. 2008..HIV-infected patients continue to die in the era of highly active antiretroviral therapy (HAART)...
- Cost-effectiveness of clinical interventions for AIDS wastingA Beaston-Blaakman
Family Health International, North Carolina 27709, USA
AIDS Care 19:996-1001. 2007..PRT was the most cost-effective treatment for AIDS wasting, particularly from an institutional perspective. Third party payers should consider coverage of PRT...
- The end of nandroloneNelson Vergel
GMHC Treat Issues 21:1-3. 2007
- Changes in facial fat in HIV-related lipoatrophy, wasting, and weight gain measured by magnetic resonance imagingNicholas I Paton
Infectious Disease Research Centre, Tan Tock Seng Hospital, Singapore
HIV Clin Trials 8:227-34. 2007..We aimed to define the longitudinal changes in facial fat compartments in patients with lipoatrophy and to compare these with changes accompanying wasting or weight gain...
- [HIV infection in children in Poland - clinical advancement at time of diagnosis]Sabina Dobosz
Klinika ChorÃ³b ZakaÅºnych Wieku Dzieciecego, Akademia Medyczna, ul Wolska 37, 01 201 Warszawa, Poland
Med Wieku Rozwoj 11:167-71. 2007..At the end of 2006, there were about 130 children with confirmed HIV infection in Poland, 90% of them being infected vertically...
- Testosterone supplementation of megestrol therapy does not enhance lean tissue accrual in men with human immunodeficiency virus-associated weight loss: a randomized, double-blind, placebo-controlled, multicenter trialKathleen Mulligan
Department of Medicine, University of California, San Francisco, California 94110, USA
J Clin Endocrinol Metab 92:563-70. 2007..Reduced energy intake is a primary factor in HIV-associated wasting. Megestrol acetate (MA) stimulates appetite and weight gain. However, much of the weight gained is fat, possibly as a result of MA-induced hypogonadism...
- Skeletal muscle involvement in human immunodeficiency virus (HIV)-infected patients in the era of highly active antiretroviral therapy (HAART)François Jérome Authier
Hopital Henri Mondor, Departement de Pathologie, Creteil F 94010, France
Muscle Nerve 32:247-60. 2005....
- Wasting and lipodystrophy in patients infected with HIV: a practical approach in clinical practiceK Fisher
First Family Medical Group, Phoenix, Arizona, USA
AIDS Read 11:132-3, 137-40, 147. 2001..The treatment of the nutritional complications of HIV infection includes exercise; nutritional counseling; and in selected patients, androgenic hormones, anabolic steroid hormones, and human growth hormone...
- [Nutritional problems associated with human retrovirus infection in tropical zones and possible response strategies]J C Melchior
l Unité Nutrition clinique et Maladies infectieuses et tropicales, Département de Médecine Aiguë Spécialisée, CH Raymond Poincaré, Garches, AP HP, faculté Paris Île de France Ouest
Med Trop (Mars) 66:339-41. 2006
- Nutritional and metabolic abnormalities in pre-AIDS HIV infectionJoel Faintuch
Nutrition and Obesity Group, Hospital das Clinicas, Sao Paulo University Medical School, Sao Paulo, Sao Paulo, Brazil
Nutrition 22:683-90. 2006....
- AIDS in Africa--survival according to AIDS-defining illnessF A Post
Infectious Diseases Unit, University of Cape Town Lung Institute, Cape Town
S Afr Med J 91:583-6. 2001..The stratification of patients by type of ADI and performance status may be useful in the management of patients with advanced HIV infection in resource-limited environments...
- [Sentinel infections for AIDS in a group of African patients with HIV/AIDS infection]Reinaldo Luis Menéndez Capote
Enferm Infecc Microbiol Clin 24:287-8. 2006
- The metabolic puzzle during the evolution of HIV infectionJ Salas-Salvado
Human Nutrition Unit, Facultat de Medicina i Ciencies de la Salut de Reus, Universitat Rovira i Virgili, Reus, Spain
Clin Nutr 20:379-91. 2001....
- Increase in body cell mass and decrease in wasting are associated with increasing potency of antiretroviral therapy for HIV infectionStephen J Ferrando
Department of Psychiatry, Weill Medical College of Cornell University, New York, New York, USA
AIDS Patient Care STDS 19:216-23. 2005....
- Is HIV-2- induced AIDS different from HIV-1-associated AIDS? Data from a West African clinicEuridice Martinez-Steele
Medical Research Council Laboratories, Fajara, The Gambia
AIDS 21:317-24. 2007..Although AIDS is less frequent following HIV-2 than HIV-1 infection, it is unclear whether the clinical picture and clinical course of AIDS are similar in the two infections...
- Effect of the revised AIDS case definition on AIDS reporting in San Francisco: evidence of increased reporting in intravenous drug usersS F Payne
AIDS Office, Department of Public Health, San Francisco, California 94102
AIDS 4:335-9. 1990..The majority of patients who met the revised case definition only had initial diagnoses of HIV wasting syndrome (26%), HIV encephalopathy (21%), and presumptive Pneumocystis carinii pneumonia (19%)...
- Myopathies associated with human immunodeficiency virus and zidovudine: can their effects be distinguished?D M Simpson
Department of Neurology, Mount Sinai Medical Center, New York, NY
Neurology 43:971-6. 1993..Twenty patients with myopathy had weight loss sufficient for the diagnosis of HIV wasting syndrome. Thirty-one subjects were +ZDV and 19 were -ZDV...
- [The endogenous cannabinoid system. Therapeutic implications for neurologic and psychiatric disorders]U Schneider
Abt Klinische Psychiatrie und Psychotherapie, Medizinische Hochschule Hannover, Deutschland
Nervenarzt 76:1062, 1065-6, 1068-72 passim. 2005..g. movement disorders such as Gilles de la Tourette's syndrome, multiple sclerosis, and pain. These new findings also explain the acute adverse effects following cannabis use...
- Skeletal muscle involvement in human immunodeficiency virus infection: a report of four casesShashikala A Sangle
Department of Medicine, Byramjee Jeejeebhoy Medical College, Pune, India
Neurol India 58:939-41. 2010..One was a case of HIV wasting syndrome, and the three others were diagnosed as HIV polymyositis...
- Clinical management of the complications of HIV infectionT G Cooney
Department of Medicine, Oregon Health Sciences University, Portland
J Gen Intern Med 6:S12-8. 1991..Areas covered include pulmonary, gastrointestinal, ocular, and mucocutaneous complications, as well as lymphadenopathy, the HIV wasting syndrome, and Kaposi's sarcoma.
- Declining incidence of AIDS-defining opportunistic illnesses: results from 16 years of population-based AIDS surveillanceLeilani Schwarcz
School of Community Health Sciences, University of Nevada Reno, Reno, NV, USA
AIDS 27:597-605. 2013..To measure the incidence and risk factors of AIDS-defining opportunistic illnesses (AOIs) in the pre-highly active antiretroviral therapy (HAART) (1993-1995), early-HAART (1996-2000), and late-HAART (2001-2008) periods...
- Differential impact of combined antiretroviral therapy on the survival of italian patients with specific AIDS-defining illnessesS Conti
Laboratory of Epidemiology and Biostatistics, Istituto Superiore di Sanita, Rome, Italy
J Acquir Immune Defic Syndr 25:451-8. 2000..The purpose of this study was to investigate whether combined antiretroviral therapies had a differential impact on the survival of patients with different AIDS-defining illnesses (ADIs)...
- Disease progression in HIV-infected patients treated with stavudine vs. zidovudineAmy C Justice
Yale University, New Haven, CT, USA
J Clin Epidemiol 57:89-97. 2004..This prospective, observational study compared disease progression and death in HIV-1 patients treated with stavudine vs. zidovudine in the Collaborations in HIV Outcomes Research/U.S. (CHORUS) cohort...
- Testosterone replacement for hypogonadism: clinical findings and best practicesUlrich R Hengge
Heinrich Heine University Medical School, Dusseldorf, Germany
AIDS Read 13:S15-21. 2003..Resistance exercise training also has had favorable effects on body weight and muscle cell mass. In hypogonadal men with AIDS treated with testosterone replacement therapy, researchers noted a positive effect on depression scores...
- Decreased limb muscle and increased central adiposity are associated with 5-year all-cause mortality in HIV infectionRebecca Scherzer
University of California, San Francisco, USA
AIDS 25:1405-14. 2011..Unintentional loss of weight and muscle due to aging and disease has been associated with increased mortality. Wasting and weight loss occur in HIV infection even in the modern era of effective antiretroviral therapy...
- HIV Wasting Syndrome in a Nigerian Failing Antiretroviral Therapy: A Case Report and Review of the LiteratureDimie Ogoina
Department of Medicine, Ahmadu Bello University Teaching Hospital ABUTH, Zaria, Nigeria
Case Report Med 2010:192060. 2010The HIV wasting syndrome represented the face of HIV/AIDS before the advent of highly active antiretroviral therapy (HAART)...
- Malabsorption in wasting HIV disease: diagnostic and management issues in resource-poor settingsRita Isaac
Trop Doct 38:133-4. 2008
- Wasting and body composition of adults with pulmonary tuberculosis in relation to HIV-1 coinfection, socioeconomic status, and severity of tuberculosisE Villamor
Department of Nutrition, Harvard School of Public Health, Boston, MA 02115, USA
Eur J Clin Nutr 60:163-71. 2006..To examine the impact of HIV coinfection, socioeconomic status (SES) and severity of tuberculosis (TB) on the body composition and anthropometric status of adults with pulmonary TB...
- Cannabinoid therapeutics: high hopes for the futureHensen Bernadette
Drug Discov Today 10:459-62. 2005
- Maternal mortality among HIV-infected pregnant women in TanzaniaNan Li
Department of Global Health and Population, Harvard School of Public Health, Boston, Massachusetts, USA
Acta Obstet Gynecol Scand 93:463-8. 2014..To investigate risk factors for maternal mortality among HIV-infected women in Tanzania...
- Increase in hospital mortality from non-communicable disease and HIV-related conditions in Bulawayo, Zimbabwe, between 1992 and 2000H P Bardgett
Department of Medicine, Mpilo Central Hospital, Bulawayo, Zimbabwe
Trop Doct 36:129-31. 2006..9% to 51.1% (P < 0.001), but the number of cases of the HIV wasting syndrome (SLIM)/chronic gastroenteritis did not change significantly...
- Interleukin-6 and human immunodeficiency virus load, but not plasma leptin concentration, predict anorexia and wasting in adults with pulmonary tuberculosis in MalawiMonique van Lettow
Johns Hopkins University School of Medicine, Baltimore, Maryland 21205, USA
J Clin Endocrinol Metab 90:4771-6. 2005..Wasting is a prominent feature of tuberculosis and may be more severe among individuals with HIV coinfection. It is likely that several biological mechanisms, including the anorexia of infection, are contributing to wasting...
- Cytokine production in women with antiretroviral treatment-associated breast fat accumulation and limb wastingMassimo Galli
Institute of Infectious and Tropical Diseases, University of Milan, Sacco Hospital, Milan, Italy
AIDS 17:S155-61. 2003..To test the cytokine production of peripheral blood mononuclear cells in a group of HIV-infected women with breast enlargement and lower limb wasting while receiving antiretroviral therapy (ART) including a protease inhibitor...
- Malnutrition and wasting, immunodepression, and chronic inflammation as independent predictors of survival in HIV-infected patientsJ C Melchior
Department of Infectious Diseases and Internal Medicine, Hôpital R Poincaré, Garches, France
Nutrition 15:865-9. 1999..With the multivariate model, only CD4 counts, lean body mass/height squared, and CRP remained significant independent predictors of survival after controlling for other factors...
- Cytokine responses differ by compartment and wasting status in patients with HIV infection and healthy controlsLeslie W Abad
Department of Community Health, Tufts University School of Medicine, Boston, MA 02111, USA
Cytokine 18:286-93. 2002....
- Increased oral ganciclovir bioavailability in HIV-infected patients with chronic diarrhoea and wasting syndrome--a population pharmacokinetic studyS Mouly
Department of Internal Medicine, Lariboisiere Hospital, 75475 Paris Cedex 10, France
Br J Clin Pharmacol 51:557-65. 2001....
- Proof of the effect of testosterone on skeletal muscleS Bhasin
Division of Endocrinology, Metabolism, and Molecular Medicine, Charles R Drew University of Medicine and Science, Los Angeles, California 90059, USA
J Endocrinol 170:27-38. 2001..The mechanisms by which testosterone increases muscle mass are not known, but probably involve alterations in the expression of multiple muscle growth regulators...
- Management of antiretroviral-related nutritional problems: challenges and future directionsC Fields-Gardner
Rush University College of Nursing, Chicago, Illinois, USA
J Assoc Nurses AIDS Care 12:79-84. 2001..This article will explore these challenges, offer thought-provoking questions in the development of research and clinically viable solutions, and propose future directions for management strategies of antiretroviral-related problems...
- A comparison of megestrol acetate, nandrolone decanoate and dietary counselling for HIV associated weight lossM J Batterham
Department of Nutrition and Dietetics, Royal Prince Alfred Hospital, Missenden Road, Camperdown, NSW, Australia
Int J Androl 24:232-40. 2001..The long-term use of these agents in people with HIV should be reviewed in the context of improved survival on highly active antiretroviral therapy regimens...
- Albumin synthesis and bone collagen formation in human immunodeficiency virus-positive subjects: differential effects of growth hormone administrationM A McNurlan
Department of Surgery, State University of New York at Stony Brook 11794, USA
J Clin Endocrinol Metab 83:3050-5. 1998..However unlike muscle protein synthesis, albumin synthesis was not depressed below basal levels by hrGH...
- Human immunodeficiency virus-related mortality in infants and children: data from the pediatric pulmonary and cardiovascular complications of vertically transmitted HIV (P(2)C(2)) StudyC Langston
Department of Pathology, Texas Children s Hospital Baylor College of Medicine, Houston, Texas 77030, USA
Pediatrics 107:328-38. 2001..To identify the causes of mortality in children with vertically transmitted human immunodeficiency virus (HIV) infection and to study age-related mortality trends...
- L-Carnitine in the treatment of HIV-associated lipodystrophy syndromeS Mauss
Specialized practice for HIV and Hepatogastroenterology, Duesseldorf, Germany
HIV Med 2:59-60. 2001..These preliminary data do not support the use of L-carnitine for the rapid reversal of advanced fat tissue alterations due to HIV-associated lipodystrophy...
- Psychological and physical health correlates of body cell mass depletion among HIV+ menG J Wagner
RAND Corporation, 1700 Main St, MS 26, Santa Monica, CA 90407, USA
J Psychosom Res 49:55-7. 2000..To assess whether significant body cell mass depletion related to HIV is associated with declines in physical health and psychological well-being...
- Survival in children with perinatal HIV infection and very low CD4 lymphocyte countsH W Hsu
University of Massachusetts Medical School, Jamaica Plain, Boston, Massachusetts, USA
J Acquir Immune Defic Syndr 25:269-75. 2000..To evaluate clinical conditions associated with mortality in HIV-infected children with CD4+ counts <100 cells/microl...
- Determinants of antimicrobial prophylaxis use and treatment for wasting among patients with advanced human immunodeficiency virus disease in the United States, 1995-1998E L Murphy
Depts of Laboratory Medicine, Medicine and Epidemiology Biostatistics, University of California San Francisco, San Francisco, CA 94143 0884, USA
Clin Infect Dis 32:116-23. 2001..Treatment of wasting was more common in white than nonwhite patients and in patients with HIV disease who lived in the region west of the Mississippi River of the United States versus those whose lived in the eastern region...
- Metabolic and morphologic complications of HIV infectionAlbert J Eid
Mayo Clinic College of Medicine, Rochester, MN, USA
J Med Liban 54:97-105. 2006....
- Transcriptional profiling of testosterone-regulated genes in the skeletal muscle of human immunodeficiency virus-infected men experiencing weight lossMonty Montano
Section of Infectious Diseases, Center for HIV 1 AIDS Care and Research, School of Public Health, Boston University, Boston, Massachusetts 02118, USA
J Clin Endocrinol Metab 92:2793-802. 2007..Although androgen treatment increases muscle mass, the cell-intrinsic mechanisms engaged remain poorly understood...
- Pharmacokinetics of rifabutin in HIV-infected patients with or without wasting syndromeG Gatti
First Department of Infectious Diseases, University of Genoa, Genoa, Italy
Br J Clin Pharmacol 48:704-11. 1999..The purpose of the study was to compare the pharmacokinetic parameters of rifabutin obtained in a group of patients without wasting syndrome (NWS) with those obtained in a group with wasting syndrome (WS)...
- HIV wasting syndromeJitendra S Oswal
Indian Pediatr 39:597-8. 2002
- Osteopenia in eugonadal men with acquired immune deficiency syndrome wasting syndromeW P Fairfield
Neuroendocrine Unit, Massachusetts General Hospital and Harvard Medical School, Boston, Massachusetts 02114, USA
J Clin Endocrinol Metab 86:2020-6. 2001..Testosterone administration, but not resistance training, over 3 months increases lumbar spine BMD in eugonadal men with AIDS wasting...
- Vitamin D status and its association with morbidity including wasting and opportunistic illnesses in HIV-infected women in TanzaniaSaurabh Mehta
Division of Nutritional Sciences, Cornell University, Ithaca, New York 14853, USA
AIDS Patient Care STDS 25:579-85. 2011....
- Vitamin D status and incidence of pulmonary tuberculosis, opportunistic infections, and wasting among HIV-infected Tanzanian adults initiating antiretroviral therapyChristopher R Sudfeld
Department of Epidemiology, Harvard School of Public Health, Brigham and Women s Hospital, Boston, Massachusetts, USA
J Infect Dis 207:378-85. 2013..We present the first prospective study of vitamin D among human immunodeficiency virus (HIV)-infected adults receiving antiretrovirals in sub-Saharan Africa...
- Validation of three-dimensional laser scanning for the assessment of facial fat changesN I Paton
Department of Infectious Diseases, Tan Tock Seng Hospital, Singapore
HIV Med 8:498-503. 2007..We aimed to evaluate the accuracy of three-dimensional laser scanning as an objective method for detecting facial changes...
- Cannabis and cannabis-based medicines: potential benefits and risks to healthMartin R Wilkins
Clin Med 6:16-8. 2006
- Therapeutic effects of nandrolone and testosterone in adult male HIV patients with AIDS wasting syndrome (AWS): a randomized, double-blind, placebo-controlled trialPartha Sardar
Department of General Medicine, Medical College Kolkata, Kolkata, West Bengal, India
HIV Clin Trials 11:220-9. 2010..We aimed to compare therapeutic effects of intramuscular (IM) nandrolone decanoate and IM testosterone enanthate in male HIV patients with AIDS wasting syndrome (AWS) with placebo control...
- Beneficial effects of nandrolone decanoate in wasting associated with HIVBibhuti Saha
Department of Tropical Medicine, School of Tropical Medicine, Kolkata
J Indian Med Assoc 107:295-9. 2009..Nandrolone therapy may prove to be effective and safe in reversing wasting associated with Indian HIV patients on antiretroviral therapy (ART) and nutritional replacement...
- Nutritional status, symptoms experienced and general state of health in HIV-infected patientsA Karlsson
Outpatient Clinic, Department of Infectious Disease, Karolinska Hospital, Stockholm, Sweden
J Clin Nurs 10:609-17. 2001..In conclusion, it is important that nurses have good knowledge concerning nutritional problems in order to be able to detect these conditions at an early stage and/or to endeavour to prevent them...
- [Prevalence of Encephalitozoon intestinalis and Enterocytozoon bieneusi in HIV positive patients to Maracaibo, Venezuela]Zulbey Rivero-Rodríguez
Escuela de Bioanalisis, Universidad del Zulia, Maracaibo, Venezuela
Invest Clin 54:58-67. 2013..It is remarkable the high prevalence of microsporidia species observed in the HIV patients studied, with a predominance of E. intestinalis...
- Genital microsporidiosis in women with AIDS: a post-mortem studyGriselda Torres
Department of Pathology, Institute of Tropical Medicine Pedro Kouri, Havana, Cuba
Rev Iberoam Micol 30:47-50. 2013..The infection is usually restricted to specific anatomical areas, but could become systemic depending on the involved species. Genital microsporidiosis in female patients is rare...
- Effect of acquired immune deficiency syndrome wasting on the protein metabolic response to acute exerciseR Roubenoff
Jean Mayer USDA Human Nutrition Research Center on Aging at Tufts University, Boston, MA 02111, USA
Metabolism 50:288-92. 2001..0 +/- 9.2 v -3.3 +/- 5.7 micromol/kg LBM/h, P <.02). These data indicate that the ability to respond to exercise with protein synthesis is maintained in HIV wasting...
- Reporting and evaluation of HIV-related clinical endpoints in two multicenter international clinical trialsAlan R Lifson
Department of Epidemiology and Community Health, University of Minnesota, 1300 South Second Street, Minneapolis, MN 55454, USA
HIV Clin Trials 7:125-41. 2006..The processes for reporting and review of progression of HIV disease clinical endpoints are described for two large phase III international clinical trials...
- HIV-associated wasting in the HAART era: guidelines for assessment, diagnosis, and treatmentB Polsky
Division of Infectious Diseases, St Luke s Roosevelt Hospital Center, New York, New York 10025 1716, USA
AIDS Patient Care STDS 15:411-23. 2001..Expected outcomes from effective treatment include restored body cell mass, improvement in quality of life, and reduced rates of hospitalization. Future directions for research should address the need for optimal treatment strategies...
- Potential interventions for HIV/AIDS wasting: an overviewD I Abrams
Positive Health Program, San Francisco General Hospital, University of California, 94110, USA
J Acquir Immune Defic Syndr 25:S74-80. 2000Although the HIV wasting syndrome has become a far less common manifestation of advanced disease since the introduction of highly active therapies, much has been learned about a number of potential therapeutic interventions...
- Body composition in HIV-infected womenB Swanson
Department of Adult Health Nursing, Rush University College of Nursing, Chicago, Illinois, USA
Nutrition 16:1064-8. 2000..This altered pattern of weight loss may relate to higher premorbid fat stores in women and/or hormonal differences...
- Responsiveness of muscle protein synthesis to growth hormone administration in HIV-infected individuals declines with severity of diseaseM A McNurlan
Department of Surgery, State University of New York at Stony Brook, Stony Brook, New York 11794, USA
J Clin Invest 100:2125-32. 1997..002). The results indicate increased basal muscle protein degradation and decreased responsiveness of muscle protein synthesis to GH in the later stages of disease...
- Resistance exercise and supraphysiologic androgen therapy in eugonadal men with HIV-related weight loss: a randomized controlled trialA Strawford
Department of Nutritional Sciences, University of California, Berkeley, USA
JAMA 281:1282-90. 1999..In healthy, HIV-seronegative men, synergy between progressive resistance exercise (PRE) and very high-dose testosterone therapy has been reported for gains in LBM and muscle strength...
- The benefit of supplementary feeding for wasted Malawian adults initiating ARTJoep J van Oosterhout
Department of Medicine, University of Malawi, Blantyre, Malawi
AIDS Care 22:737-42. 2010..Supplementary food use was not directly associated with improved survival...
- Medical marijuana in HIV-positive patients: what do we know?Sandro Cinti
Infectious Diseases, University of Michigan Hospital System VA Ann Arbor Health System, Ann Arbor, Michigan 48105, USA
J Int Assoc Physicians AIDS Care (Chic) 8:342-6. 2009....
- Bone loss in patients with HIV infectionJulien Paccou
Département Universitaire de Rhumatologie, Hopital Roger Salengro, CHRU de Lille, 59037 Lille Cedex, France
Joint Bone Spine 76:637-41. 2009..In patients with established bone insufficiency, bisphosphonate therapy should be considered. Alendronate in combination with vitamin D and calcium supplementation has been found effective in improving BMD values...
- NEUROMUSCULAR DISORDERS IN HIV INFECTION AND ROLE OF AZTDavid Simpson; Fiscal Year: 1993..In some patients this myopathy underlies HIV wasting syndrome. Several investigators have noted that AZT therapy may cause myopathy, prompting clinicians to halt this ..
- MIDCAREER INVESTIGATOR AWARD IN PATIENT ORIENTED RESEAChristine Wanke; Fiscal Year: 2007..In addition, this award will support my ability to mentor trainees in these important clinical research questions. [unreadable] [unreadable]..
- Feasibility Study of Probiotics for Growth FalteringChristine Wanke; Fiscal Year: 2006..These data will be used, with the feasibility data obtained, to prepare a proposal for a full clinical trial of LGG as an intervention for growth faltering and diarrheal disease at the time of weaning in these children. ..
- Vitamins, Breast Milk HIV Shedding and Child HealthEduardo Villamor; Fiscal Year: 2006..unreadable] [unreadable]..
- METABOLIC EFFECTS OF PROTEASE INHIBITORS IN HIV DISEASEKathleen Mulligan; Fiscal Year: 2002....
- Consequences and Treatment of Growth Hormone Deficiency in the Metabolic SyndromeSTEVEN KYLE GRINSPOON; Fiscal Year: 2010..Lay Description: This grant will study how commonly low GH level are seen and contribute to increased cardiac risk in patients with abdominal fat and whether increasing low GH levels will improve cardiac risk in this population. ..
- NUTRITIONAL STATUS OF HIV INFECTED INJECTION DRUG USERSAlice Tang; Fiscal Year: 2002..The results from this observational study may help to guide the design of more effective interventions of antioxidant supplementation in the era of PI's. ..
- MECHANISMS AND STRATEGIES FOR INSULIN RESISTANCE IN AIDSSteven Grinspoon; Fiscal Year: 2004..The proposed studies represent a significant collaborative effort between clinical researchers, adipocyte biologists, epidemiologists and nutritional biochemists in satisfaction of the mandate of the RFA. ..
- Androgen Effects in HIV-Infected WomenSteven Grinspoon; Fiscal Year: 2007..The studies outlined in this renewal constitute an important investigative initiative of a targeted, gender-specific therapy in this largely understudied population. ..
- Role of Mitochondria in HIV LipoatrophyGrace McComsey; Fiscal Year: 2009..abstract_text> ..
- CELL-SELECTIVE EXPRESSION OF FIBROTIC GENE PATHWAYSNestor Gonzalez Cadavid; Fiscal Year: 2008..We expect that our studies would lead to the detection of novel targets of antifibrotic therapy for penile and vascular diseases of considerable public health impact. [unreadable] [unreadable] [unreadable]..
- Metabolic Consequences of Thymidine Sparing RegimensGrace A McComsey; Fiscal Year: 2010..at the top of each printed page and each continuation page. RESEARCH GRANT TABLE OF CONTENTS Page Numbers Face Page 1 Description, ..
- Bone mass and mineral metabolism in HIV+ womenMichael Yin; Fiscal Year: 2008..abstract_text> ..
- Antidepressant & Behavioral Adherence Intervention for Depressed HIV PatientsGlenn Wagner; Fiscal Year: 2008..unreadable] [unreadable] [unreadable] [unreadable]..
- HAWAII ACTU - ADULT THERAPEUTIC CLINICAL TRIALS PROGRAMCecilia Shikuma; Fiscal Year: 2008..abstract_text> ..
- Uridine Supplementation for HIV lipoatrophyGrace McComsey; Fiscal Year: 2007..On-study subjects will continue to be followed per study protocol for a total of 12 months. The last 6 months of the grant will be dedicated to processing of samples and analysis of all data. [unreadable] [unreadable]..
- Yoga for the Management of HIV-Metabolic SyndromesKevin Yarasheski; Fiscal Year: 2007..unreadable] [unreadable]..
- ERECTILE DYSFUNCTION AND NITRIC OXIDE SYNTHASE IN AGINGNestor Gonzalez Cadavid; Fiscal Year: 2006....
- Characterizing the HIV-Muscle Mitochondrial ProtemeKevin Yarasheski; Fiscal Year: 2006..To accomplish this, we will take advantage of the expertise and the wide variety of high resolution mass spectrometry instrumentation available at Washington University. ..
- Mitochondrial Function and HIV LipoatrophyCecilia Shikuma; Fiscal Year: 2005..Obtained ATP levels will be correlated with level of adipocyte apoptosis as well as with adipocyte mtDNA copies/cell by real-time PCR and SC adipose tissue expression of select oxidative phosphorylation (OXPHOS) genes. ..
- Molecular Analysis of HIV-1C Transmission CofactorsMonty Montano; Fiscal Year: 2005..abstract_text> ..
- ADHERENCE TO HAART IN THE CONTEXT OF DRUG ABUSEGlenn Wagner; Fiscal Year: 2001..abstract_text> ..
- Role of macrophages in HIV LipoatrophyCecilia M Shikuma; Fiscal Year: 2010..We are particularly well suited to undertake these studies as our research team combines clinical research expertise in HIV lipoatrophy with specific laboratory competency in adipose tissue-, mitochondrial- and M/MO-related research. ..