Genomes and Genes
Summary: Inflammatory disease of the THYROID GLAND due to autoimmune responses leading to lymphocytic infiltration of the gland. It is characterized by the presence of circulating thyroid antigen-specific T-CELLS and thyroid AUTOANTIBODIES. The clinical signs can range from HYPOTHYROIDISM to THYROTOXICOSIS depending on the type of autoimmune thyroiditis.
Publications265 found, 100 shown here
- Postpartum thyroiditis and autoimmune thyroiditis in women of childbearing age: recent insights and consequences for antenatal and postnatal careA F Muller
Department of Immunology, Erasmus University Medical Center, 3015 GD Rotterdam, The Netherlands
Endocr Rev 22:605-30. 2001..g., the occurrence of clinically overt postpartum thyroiditis. Low thyroid reserve due to autoimmune thyroiditis is increasingly recognized as a serious health problem...
- Thyroglobulin is a thyroid specific gene for the familial autoimmune thyroid diseasesYaron Tomer
Division of Endocrinology, Diabetes and Bone Diseases, Department of Medicine, Mount Sinai School of Medicine, New York, New York 10029, USA
J Clin Endocrinol Metab 87:404-7. 2002..Transmission disequilibrium test (TDT) analysis also showed an association of Tgms2 with AITD (p = 0.02). We concluded therefore that the Tg gene was a major AITD susceptibility gene because it was both linked and associated with AITD...
- Peripheral thyroid dysfunction in depressionKonstantinos N Fountoulakis
Laboratory of Psychophysiology, 3rd Department of Psychiatry, Aristotle University of Thessaloniki, University Hospital AHEPA, Greece
World J Biol Psychiatry 7:131-7. 2006..There is a strong possibility that the presence of a subtle thyroid dysfunction is a negative prognostic factor for depression and may demand specific therapeutic intervention...
- Hashimoto's thyroiditis is not associated with increased risk of thyroid cancer in patients with thyroid nodules: a single-center prospective studyCuneyd Anil
Department of Endocrinology and Metabolism, Faculty of Medicine, Baskent University, Ankara, Turkey
Thyroid 20:601-6. 2010..To eliminate inherent bias of retrospective studies, this prospective study was carried out to evaluate the true malignancy rate of unselected thyroid nodules in patients with HT who underwent fine-needle aspiration cytology (FNAC)...
- Hashimoto thyroiditis coexistent with papillary thyroid carcinomaCalogero Cipolla
University of Palermo, Department of Oncology, Division of General and Oncological Surgery Policlinico P Giaccone Palermo, Italy
Am Surg 71:874-8. 2005..Further studies are required, however, in order to confirm this hypothesis; until then, HT patients should undergo careful clinical and technical follow-up...
- Is Hashimoto's thyroiditis a risk factor for papillary thyroid cancer?Daniel Repplinger
Section of Endocrine Surgery, Department of Surgery, University of Wisconsin, Madison, Wisconsin, USA
J Surg Res 150:49-52. 2008..Given the relatively high prevalence of these diseases and the increased occurrence in women, we analyzed data from our institution to determine if there is a correlation between Hashimoto's thyroiditis and PTC in women...
- Prevalence and relative risk of other autoimmune diseases in subjects with autoimmune thyroid diseaseKristien Boelaert
School of Clinical and Experimental Medicine, College of Medical and Dental Sciences, Institute of Biomedical Research, University of Birmingham, Edgbaston, Birmingham, United Kingdom
Am J Med 123:183.e1-9. 2010..Common autoimmune disorders tend to coexist in the same subjects and to cluster in families...
- Selenium supplementation in patients with autoimmune thyroiditis decreases thyroid peroxidase antibodies concentrationsRoland Gärtner
Department of Endocrinology, Medizinische Klinik Innenstadt, University of Munich, D 80336 Munich, Germany
J Clin Endocrinol Metab 87:1687-91. 2002..5 +/- 0.7 yr) with autoimmune thyroiditis and thyroid peroxidase antibodies (TPOAb) and/or Tg antibodies (TgAb) above 350 IU/ml...
- Increased serum CXCL10 in Graves' disease or autoimmune thyroiditis is not associated with hyper- or hypothyroidism per se, but is specifically sustained by the autoimmune, inflammatory processAlessandro Antonelli
Metabolism Unit, Department of Internal Medicine and CNR Institute of Clinical Physiology, University of Pisa School of Medicine, Via Roma, 67, I 56100, Pisa, Italy
Eur J Endocrinol 154:651-8. 2006..levels (sCXCL10) are increased in several autoimmune conditions, including Graves' disease (GD) and autoimmune thyroiditis (AT). Longitudinal assessment of sCXCL10 in autoimmune hypo- or hyperthyroidism has not yet been performed.
- Assessment of significance of features acquired from thyroid ultrasonograms in Hashimoto's diseaseRobert Koprowski
Department of Computer Biomedical Systems, University of Silesia, Institute of Computer Science, Sosnowiec, Poland
Biomed Eng Online 11:48. 2012..The applied methods of analysis and image processing were profiled to obtain 10 features of the image. Then, their significance in the classification was shown...
- Spontaneous autoimmune thyroiditis in NOD.H-2h4 miceH Braley-Mullen
Research Service, Department of Veterans Affairs Medical Center, Columbia, MO, 65212, USA
J Autoimmun 12:157-65. 1999NOD.H-2h4 mice, which express I-Ak on the NOD genetic background, spontaneously develop autoimmune thyroiditis (SAT) and anti-mouse thyroglobulin (MTg) autoantibodies...
- Presence of systemic autoimmune disorders in patients with autoimmune thyroid diseasesM G Tektonidou
Department of Pathophysiology, Medical School, National University of Athens, Athens, Greece
Ann Rheum Dis 63:1159-61. 2004..To evaluate the prevalence of antinuclear antibodies (ANA) in patients with autoimmune thyroid diseases (ATD) and the presence of systemic autoimmune disorders among ANA positive patients with ATD...
- The clinicopathologic differences in papillary thyroid carcinoma with or without co-existing chronic lymphocytic thyroiditisYeo Hoon Yoon
Department of Otolaryngology, Head and Neck Surgery, Cancer Research Institute, Research Institute for Medical Sciences, Chungnam National University School of Medicine, 640 Daesa dong, Chung gu, Daejeon, 301 040, South Korea
Eur Arch Otorhinolaryngol 269:1013-7. 2012..Compared to patients with PTC without CLT, patients with CLT were younger with a female predominance, which are the most important and well-known prognostic variables for thyroid cancer mortality...
- Prevalence of autoimmune thyroiditis in children with celiac disease and effect of gluten withdrawalAntonella Meloni
Pediatric Clinic II, Microcitemico Hospital ASL 8, Department of Biological Sciences and Biotechnology, University of Cagliari, Sardinia, Italy
J Pediatr 155:51-5, 55.e1. 2009To study the prevalence of autoimmune thyroiditis (AT) in Sardinian children with celiac disease (CD) and the effects of a gluten-free diet (GFD) on thyroid function.
- Effects of a six month treatment with selenomethionine in patients with autoimmune thyroiditisLeonidas H Duntas
Endocrine Unit, Evgenidion Hospital, University of Athens Medical School, 20 Papadiamantopoulou Str, 11528 Athens, Greece
Eur J Endocrinol 148:389-93. 2003..Therefore, we performed a randomised, placebo-controlled prospective study to investigate the effects of Se treatment on patients with autoimmune thyroiditis (AIT).
- Coexistence of papillary carcinoma and Hashimoto's thyroiditisDubravka Matesa-Anić
Department of Otorhinolaryngology, Thalassotherapia Special Hospital for Medical Rehabilitation, Crikvenica, Croatia
Acta Clin Croat 48:9-12. 2009..4%. There was no statistically significant relationship between Hashimoto's thyroiditis and papillary carcinoma in cytologic material...
- Latent autoimmune thyroiditis in untreated patients with HCV chronic hepatitis: a case-control studyN Ganne-Carrie
Department of Hepato Gastroenterology, Hospital Jean Verdier, Bondy, 93140, France
J Autoimmun 14:189-93. 2000In order to establish a relationship between Hepatitis C virus (HCV) chronic infection and autoimmune thyroiditis, 97 untreated patients with biopsy-proven HCV chronic hepatitis and 97 controls were studied...
- Hashimoto encephalopathy: syndrome or myth?Ji Y Chong
Department of Neurology, Columbia University College of Physicians and Surgeons, New York, NY, USA
Arch Neurol 60:164-71. 2003..Hashimoto encephalopathy has been described as a syndrome of encephalopathy and high serum antithyroid antibody concentrations that is responsive to glucocorticoid therapy, but these could be chance associations...
- No immunological benefit of selenium in consecutive patients with autoimmune thyroiditisGeorgios Karanikas
Department of Nuclear Medicine, Medical University of Vienna, A 1090 Vienna, Austria
Thyroid 18:7-12. 2008Recently it has been demonstrated that after selenium (Se) supplementation in autoimmune thyroiditis (AIT) patients, there was a significant decrease of thyroid peroxidase (TPO) autoantibody (TPOAb) levels...
- A case of autoimmune thyroiditis and membranoproliferative glomerulonephritisSevgi Gurkan
Department of Pediatric Nephrology, Mount Sinai School of Medicine, One Gustave Levy Pl, P O Box 1664, New York, NY, 10029, USA
Pediatr Nephrol 24:193-7. 2009..In particular, autoimmune thyroiditis is associated with proteinuria...
- Autoimmune thyroid disease: unlocking a complex puzzleRosalind S Brown
Children s Hospital Boston and Harvard University, Boston, Massachusetts 02115, USA
Curr Opin Pediatr 21:523-8. 2009..The application of molecular biology has permitted an unparalleled insight into susceptibility genes that predispose to their development and has allowed enhanced understanding of their complex immune pathophysiology...
- Association scan of 14,500 nonsynonymous SNPs in four diseases identifies autoimmunity variantsPaul R Burton
Genetic Epidemiology Group, Department of Health Sciences, University of Leicester, Adrian Building, University Road, Leicester LE1 7RH, UK
Nat Genet 39:1329-37. 2007....
- The etiology of autoimmune thyroid disease: a story of genes and environmentYaron Tomer
Division of Endocrinology, University of Cincinnati College of Medicine, The Vontz Center for Molecular Studies, Cincinnati, OH 45267, USA
J Autoimmun 32:231-9. 2009..Recent data on the genetic predisposition to AITD lead to novel putative mechanisms by which the genetic-environmental interactions may lead to the development of thyroid autoimmunity...
- Influences of age, gender, smoking, and family history on autoimmune thyroid disease phenotypeN Manji
Division of Medical Sciences, The Medical School, University of Birmingham, Edgbaston, Second Floor, Birmingham B15 2TT, United Kingdom
J Clin Endocrinol Metab 91:4873-80. 2006..Both genetic and environmental factors contribute to susceptibility to Graves' disease (GD) and Hashimoto's thyroiditis (HT), as well as disease manifestations...
- Early requirement for B cells for development of spontaneous autoimmune thyroiditis in NOD.H-2h4 miceH Braley-Mullen
Departments of Internal Medicine and Medical Microbiology and Immunology, University of Missouri, Columbia, MO 65212, USA
J Immunol 165:7262-9. 2000..NOD.H-2h4 mice develop spontaneous autoimmune thyroiditis (SAT) and anti-mouse thyroglobulin (MTg) autoantibodies, the levels of which correlate closely with the ..
- Selenium in the treatment of autoimmune thyroiditisRoland Gärtner
Department of Endocrinology, Medizinische Klinik Innenstadt, University of Munich, D 80336 Munich, Germany
Biofactors 19:165-70. 2003..we could demonstrate, that a substitution of 200 microg sodium selenite for three months in patients with autoimmune thyroiditis reduced thyroid peroxidase antibody (TPO-Ab) concentrations significantly...
- Clinical relationship between Hashimoto's thyroiditis and papillary thyroid cancerDongbin Ahn
Department of Otorhinolaryngology Head and Neck Surgery, School of Medicine, Kyungpook National University Hospital, Daegu, Korea
Acta Oncol 50:1228-34. 2011..The aim of the present study is to determine a clinical relationship between these two disease entities and to evaluate the correlation between concurrent HT and various clinicopathological parameters...
- Increased circulating pro-inflammatory cytokines and Th17 lymphocytes in Hashimoto's thyroiditisNicté Figueroa-Vega
Service of Endocrinology, Hospital Universitario de la Princesa, Universidad Autonoma de Madrid, C Diego de Leon 62, 28006 Madrid, Spain
J Clin Endocrinol Metab 95:953-62. 2010..Th17 lymphocytes play an important role in different chronic inflammatory and autoimmune conditions...
- Association of interleukin-17A and -17F gene single-nucleotide polymorphisms with autoimmune thyroid diseasesNi Yan
Endocrinology Department, Jinshan Hospital, Fudan University, Shanghai, China
Autoimmunity 45:533-9. 2012..017 and P = 0.029, respectively). In conclusion, the results indicate that IL-17F/rs763780 polymorphisms may affect the susceptibility to AITD, and IL-17A/rs3819025 SNP is likely a protective factor to GD in the Chinese population...
- Role of chronic lymphocytic thyroiditis in central node metastasis of papillary thyroid carcinomaLorien M Paulson
Department of Otolaryngology Head and Neck Surgery, Oregon Health and Science University, Portland, Oregon 97239, USA
Otolaryngol Head Neck Surg 147:444-9. 2012....
- High prevalence of autoimmune thyroiditis in patients with polycystic ovary syndromeOnno E Janssen
Division of Endocrinology, Department of Medicine, University of Essen, Essen, Germany
Eur J Endocrinol 150:363-9. 2004To investigate the prevalence of autoimmune thyroiditis (AIT) in patients with polycystic ovary syndrome (PCOS).
- Thyroid nodules and cancer in children and adolescents affected by autoimmune thyroiditisAndrea Corrias
Division of Pediatric Endocrinology, Regina Margherita Children s Hospital, Piazza Polonia 94, 10126 Torino, Italy
Arch Pediatr Adolesc Med 162:526-31. 2008To investigate the association between juvenile autoimmune thyroiditis (JAT) and thyroid cancer in pediatric patients.
- Transgenic expression of TGF-beta on thyrocytes inhibits development of spontaneous autoimmune thyroiditis and increases regulatory T cells in thyroids of NOD.H-2h4 miceShiguang Yu
Research Service, Department of Veterans Affairs, University of Missouri School of Medicine, Columbia, MO 65212, USA
J Immunol 184:5352-9. 2010..In contrast to nontransgenic littermates, which develop lymphocytic spontaneous autoimmune thyroiditis (L-SAT), all TGF-beta transgenic (Tg) mice given NaI water for 2-7 mo developed thyroid lesions ..
- Elevated risk of papillary thyroid cancer in Korean patients with Hashimoto's thyroiditisKyung Won Kim
Department of Internal Medicine, Seoul National University College of Medicine, Seoul, Korea
Head Neck 33:691-5. 2011..The purpose of this study was whether HT was related to the risk of PTC over TSH...
- Selenium treatment in autoimmune thyroiditis: 9-month follow-up with variable dosesOmer Turker
Thyroidology Unit, Department of Nuclear Medicine, GATA Haydarpasa, Istanbul, Turkey
J Endocrinol 190:151-6. 2006..the long-term (9 months) effects of variable doses (200/100 microg/day) of L-selenomethionine on autoimmune thyroiditis (AIT) and the parameters affecting the success rate of this therapy...
- CD4+CD25+ naturally occurring regulatory T cells and not lymphopenia play a role in the pathogenesis of iodide-induced autoimmune thyroiditis in NOD-H2h4 miceYuji Nagayama
Department of Medical Gene Technology, Atomic Bomb Disease Institute, Nagasaki University Graduate School of Biomedical Sciences, 1 12 4 Sakamoto, Nagasaki 852 8523, Japan
J Autoimmun 29:195-202. 2007NOD-H2(h4) mice, which express I-A(k) on the NOD background, spontaneously develop autoimmune thyroiditis, a model of Hashimoto thyroiditis in humans, by adding iodide in the drinking water...
- Correlation of computerized gray-scale sonographic findings with thyroid function and thyroid autoimmune activity in patients with Hashimoto's thyroiditisMaurizio Loy
Ultrasonography Unit, Department of Medical Sciences, Presidio di Monserrato, University of Cagliari, Strada Statale 554 bivio Sestu, Monserrato I 09024, Cagliari, Italy
J Clin Ultrasound 32:136-40. 2004....
- [Increased occurrence of autoimmune thyroiditis in patients with chronic rheumatoid arthritis]R Pongratz
Internen Abteilung des Krankenhauses der Barmherzigen Brüder, Eggenberg, Graz
Acta Med Austriaca 27:58-60. 2000The frequent occurrence of both rheumatoid arthritis and autoimmune thyroiditis was already investigated with in part many conflicting results...
- Hashimoto's encephalopathy: systematic review of the literature and an additional caseNarriane Chaves P de Holanda
Agamenon Magalha es Hospital, Recife PE, Brazil
J Neuropsychiatry Clin Neurosci 23:384-90. 2011..Because the symptoms respond so well to immunosuppressive treatment, prompt diagnosis and management are important. Here, the authors present a representative case report, along with a comprehensive review of current literature...
- Increase of interferon-gamma inducible alpha chemokine CXCL10 but not beta chemokine CCL2 serum levels in chronic autoimmune thyroiditisAlessandro Antonelli
Metabolism Unit, Department of Medicine and CNR Institute of Clinical Physiology, University of Pisa School of Medicine, Pisa, Italy
Eur J Endocrinol 152:171-7. 2005To measure serum levels of CXCL10 and CCL2 prototype chemokines of the two major subclass (CXC and CC) in patients with newly diagnosed chronic autoimmune thyroiditis (AT), and relate the findings to the clinical phenotype.
- Image texture analysis of sonograms in chronic inflammations of thyroid glandDaniel Smutek
3rd Department of Medicine, 1st Medical Faculty, Charles University, Prague, Czech Republic
Ultrasound Med Biol 29:1531-43. 2003..Both selection schemes agreed on the best features. The results were confirmed on the independent test set. The stability of the results with respect to sonograph setting, thyroid gland segmentation and scanning direction was tested...
- Mutations of the BRAF gene in papillary thyroid carcinoma and in Hashimoto's thyroiditisKyung Hee Kim
Department of Pathology, Eulji University School of Medicine, Korea
Pathol Int 55:540-5. 2005..These results indicate that the detection of the BRAF mutation in HT can be helpful for prediction of progress to PTC...
- Incidental papillary carcinoma in patients treated surgically for benign thyroid diseasesDawn P Bradly
Rush University Medical Center, Department of Pathology, Chicago, IL 60612, USA
Surgery 146:1099-104. 2009..6 % and 10% in operatively treated benign thyroid diseases. This study reviews the occurrence of IPC in thyroid glands removed for benign disease at our institution...
- Association of a CTLA-4 3' untranslated region (CT60) single nucleotide polymorphism with autoimmune thyroid disease in the Japanese populationYoshiyuki Ban
Third Department of Internal Medicine, Showa University School of Medicine, 1 5 8 Hatanodai, Shinagawa ku, Tokyo 142 8666, Japan
Autoimmunity 38:151-3. 2005..004, odds ratio (OR)=2.0] and AITD (P=0.03,OR=1.6) in a recessive model. These results suggested that the CTLA-4 gene is involved in the susceptibility for GD and AITD in the Japanese...
- Interference with CD4+CD25+ T-cell-mediated tolerance to experimental autoimmune thyroiditis by glucocorticoid-induced tumor necrosis factor receptor monoclonal antibodyGerald P Morris
Department of Immunology and Microbiology, Wayne State University School of Medicine, 540 East Canfield Avenue, Detroit, MI 48201, USA
J Autoimmun 26:24-31. 2006Experimental autoimmune thyroiditis (EAT), a murine model for Hashimoto's thyroiditis, is inducible with mouse thyroglobulin (mTg), and characterized by mononuclear cell infiltration and destruction of the thyroid gland...
- Rituximab treatment of stiff-person syndrome in a patient with thymoma, diabetes mellitus and autoimmune thyroiditisJ L Dupond
Department of Internal Medicine, University Hospital, Boulevard Fleming, Besançon 25030, France
J Clin Neurosci 17:389-91. 2010..the results of rituximab treatment in a patient with SPS associated with a thymoma, diabetes mellitus, autoimmune thyroiditis and the presence of anti-GAD and anti-amphiphysin autoantibodies...
- Regulatory T cells induced by rAAV carrying the forkhead box P3 gene prevent autoimmune thyroiditis in miceShengjun Wang
Department of Immunology, School of Medical Technology, Jiangsu University, Jiangsu 12001, PR China
Int J Mol Med 18:1193-9. 2006..Furthermore, these Foxp3-transduced T cells prevent autoimmune thyroiditis transferred by pathogenic T cells in vivo...
- Hashimoto's thyroiditis is associated with papillary thyroid carcinoma: role of TSH and of treatment with L-thyroxineE Fiore
Department of Endocrinology, Department of Surgery, University of Pisa, Italy
Endocr Relat Cancer 18:429-37. 2011..Treatment with l-T(4) reduces TSH levels and decreases the occurrence of clinically detectable PTC...
- Association of a thyroglobulin gene polymorphism with Hashimoto's thyroiditis in the Japanese populationYoshiyuki Ban
Third Department of Internal Medicine, School of Pharmaceutical Sciences, Showa University, Shinagawa ku, Tokyo, Japan
Clin Endocrinol (Oxf) 61:263-8. 2004..Recent studies have demonstrated an association between a Tg polymorphisms and AITD, suggesting that Tg is the susceptibility gene on 8q24...
- Molecular amino acid signatures in the MHC class II peptide-binding pocket predispose to autoimmune thyroiditis in humans and in miceFrancesca Menconi
Division of Endocrinology, University of Cincinnati College of Medicine, Cincinnati, OH 45267, USA
Proc Natl Acad Sci U S A 105:14034-9. 2008..HT and that similar variants in the murine I-E locus (homologous to HLA-DR) predispose to experimental autoimmune thyroiditis (EAT), a classical mouse model of HT...
- Autoimmune thyroiditis and diabetes: dissecting the joint genetic susceptibility in a large cohort of multiplex familiesMaria Justina B Villano
Department of Internal Medicine, Division of Endocrinology, University of Cincinnati College of Medicine, Cincinnati, Ohio 45267, USA
J Clin Endocrinol Metab 94:1458-66. 2009..Both diseases frequently occur within the same family and in the same individual. Patients developing both T1D and AITD are considered to have an autoimmune polyglandular syndrome type 3 variant (APS3v)...
- Autoimmune thyroiditis and ROSC Lynne Burek
Department of Pathology, Johns Hopkins School of Medicine, Baltimore, MD, 21205, United States
Autoimmun Rev 7:530-7. 2008b>Autoimmune thyroiditis, also known as chronic lymphocytic or Hashimoto's thyroiditis, is characterized by infiltration of the thyroid gland by inflammatory cells and production of autoantibodies to thyroid-specific antigens thyroglobulin ..
- The link between thyroid autoimmunity (antithyroid peroxidase autoantibodies) with anxiety and mood disorders in the community: a field of interest for public health in the futureMauro Giovanni Carta
Department of Public Health, Division of Psychiatry, University of Cagliari, Italy
BMC Psychiatry 4:25. 2004..To evaluate the association between mood and anxiety disorders and thyroid autoimmunity in a community sample...
- The association between papillary carcinoma and chronic lymphocytic thyroiditis: does it modify the prognosis of cancer?P Del Rio
Department of Surgical Science, General Surgery and Organ Transplantation, University of Parma, Parma, Italy
Minerva Endocrinol 33:1-5. 2008..The aim of this study was to examine this association evaluating the lesser or greater neoplastic aggressiveness...
- Thyroid function, autoimmune thyroiditis and coeliac disease in juvenile idiopathic arthritisS Stagi
Department of Paediatrics, University of Florence, Italy
Rheumatology (Oxford) 44:517-20. 2005..Our objective was to evaluate the thyroid function and the prevalence of antithyroid antibodies, autoimmune thyroiditis and coeliac disease in children with JIA.
- Iodine: an environmental trigger of thyroiditisNoel R Rose
MCP Hahnemann University School of Medicine, 2900 Queen Lane, Philadelphia, PA 19129, USA
Autoimmun Rev 1:97-103. 2002..Its mechanism of action is still uncertain. Using a new animal model of autoimmune thyroiditis, the NOD.H2(h4) mouse, we have been able to show that iodine enhances disease in a dose-dependent manner...
- Genetics of thyroid autoimmunity and the role of the TSHRO J Brand
School of Clinical and Experimental Medicine, College of Medical and Dental Sciences, Institute of Biomedical Research, University of Birmingham, Edgbaston, Birmingham, West Midlands B15 2TT, UK
Mol Cell Endocrinol 322:135-43. 2010..These findings, combined with previous functional data demonstrating that the TSHR A-subunit is the primary autoantigenic region, suggests novel mechanisms for the onset of GD and a potential therapeutic target...
- Concurrent induction of antitumor immunity and autoimmune thyroiditis in CD4+ CD25+ regulatory T cell-depleted miceWei Zen Wei
Karmanos Cancer Institute, Wayne State University, Detroit, Michigan 48201, USA
Cancer Res 65:8471-8. 2005....
- The CD40, CTLA-4, thyroglobulin, TSH receptor, and PTPN22 gene quintet and its contribution to thyroid autoimmunity: back to the futureEric M Jacobson
Division of Endocrinology, University of Cincinnati, The Vontz Center for Molecular Studies, 3125 Eden Avenue, Cincinnati, OH 45267, USA
J Autoimmun 28:85-98. 2007..The time is now ripe to examine the mechanistic basis for the contribution of genetic factors to the etiology of AITD. In this review, we will focus on the contribution of non-MHC II genes...
- High rate of autoimmune thyroiditis in bipolar disorder: lack of association with lithium exposureRalph W Kupka
Altrecht Centre for Mental Health Care and University Medical Centre Utrecht, Vrouwjuttenhof 18, 3512 PZ Utrecht, The Netherlands
Biol Psychiatry 51:305-11. 2002..We assessed the prevalence of thyroperoxidase antibodies (TPO-Abs) and thyroid failure in outpatients with bipolar disorder compared with two control groups...
- A unique combination of inflammatory cytokines enhances apoptosis of thyroid follicular cells and transforms nondestructive to destructive thyroiditis in experimental autoimmune thyroiditisSu He Wang
Department of Internal Medicine, University of Michigan Medical Center, Medical Science Research Building III, Ann Arbor, MI 48109, USA
J Immunol 168:2470-4. 2002..that this unique combination of inflammatory cytokines facilitates the apoptotic destruction of thyroid follicular cells in experimental autoimmune thyroiditis, in a manner similar to what is observed in Hashimoto's thyroiditis in humans.
- The value of ultrasonography in predicting autoimmune thyroid diseaseO M Pedersen
Department of Clinical Biology, Haukeland Hospital, University of Bergen, Norway
Thyroid 10:251-9. 2000..In these controls, the final diagnosis was: chronic autoimmune thyroiditis in 7; toxic nodular goiter in 6 patients, and toxic adenoma in 1 patient...
- Graves' disease and Hashimoto's thyroiditis in monozygotic twins: case study as well as transcriptomic and immunohistological analysis of thyroid tissuesG Aust
Research Laboratories, Center of Surgery, University of Leipzig, Germany
Eur J Endocrinol 154:13-20. 2006..To report on the rare simultaneous occurrence of Graves' disease (GD) and Hashimoto's thyroiditis (HT) in monozygotic twins...
- Autoimmune thyroid syndrome in women with Turner's syndrome--the association with karyotypeM Elsheikh
Department of Endocrinology, Radcliffe Infirmary, Woodstock Road, Oxford, UK
Clin Endocrinol (Oxf) 55:223-6. 2001....
- Autoantibodies against the amino terminal of alpha-enolase are a useful diagnostic marker of Hashimoto's encephalopathyA Fujii
Second Department of Internal Medicine, Faculty of Medical Sciences, University of Fukui, Fukui 910 1193, Japan
J Neuroimmunol 162:130-6. 2005..Autoantibodies against the amino terminal of alpha-enolase are a useful diagnostic marker for Hashimoto's encephalopathy...
- Antigen processing by autoreactive B cells promotes determinant spreadingYang D Dai
Division of Immune Regulation, Torrey Pines Institute for Molecular Studies, San Diego, California 92121, USA
Cell Mol Immunol 2:169-75. 2005..Here, we use two autoimmune animal models, experimental autoimmune thyroiditis (EAT) and type 1 diabetes (T1D), to discuss how autoreactive B cells or antibodies alter the processing ..
- Chronic autoimmune thyroiditis and rheumatic manifestationsLeonardo Punzi
Division of Rheumatology, Department of Medical and Surgical Sciences, University of Padova, Via Giustiniani 2, Padova 35128, Italy
Joint Bone Spine 71:275-83. 2004A variety of rheumatic manifestations have been described in association with autoimmune thyroiditis. In the past, most of these manifestations were attributed to the underlying thyroid dysfunction, in particular hypothyroidism...
- Coexistence of chronic lymphocytic thyroiditis is associated with lower recurrence rates in patients with papillary thyroid carcinomaEui Young Kim
Department of Endocrinology and Metabolism, Asan Medical Center, University of Ulsan College of Medicine, Seoul, S Korea
Clin Endocrinol (Oxf) 71:581-6. 2009..We evaluated the influence of coexistent CLT on prognostic outcome and the association of coexistent CLT with clinicopathological parameters...
- Immunohistochemistry of IgG4 can help subclassify Hashimoto's autoimmune thyroiditisYaqiong Li
Department of Human Pathology, Wakayama Medical University, Wakayama 641 8509, Japan
Pathol Int 59:636-41. 2009..Similar histopathological features have often been noted in the fibrous variant of Hashimoto's autoimmune thyroiditis, but thyroid gland involvement has been only briefly mentioned with regard to IgG4, and no ..
- Is autoimmune thyroiditis part of the genetic vulnerability (or an endophenotype) for bipolar disorder?Ronald Vonk
Reinier van Arkel group, s Hertogenbosch, Department of Psychiatry, University Medical Centre Utrecht, The Netherlands
Biol Psychiatry 62:135-40. 2007..b>Autoimmune thyroiditis with raised levels of thyroperoxidase antibodies (TPO-Abs) is related to bipolar disorder and may be such ..
- Herpes virus antibodies seroprevalence in children with autoimmune thyroid diseaseDimitrios Thomas
Department of Endocrinology, Metabolism and Diabetes, Metaxa Memorial Anticancer Research Hospital, Botasi 51 Str, Piraeus, Greece
Endocrine 33:171-5. 2008..Elevated titers of antibodies against different herpes virus antigens have been reported in some immunodeficient and systemic autoimmune disorders...
- The role of environmental factors in autoimmune thyroiditisMonika Hybenova
Institute of Immunology and Microbiology, 1st Faculty of Medicine, Charles University, Prague, Czech Republic
Neuro Endocrinol Lett 31:283-9. 2010Environmental factors can play an important role in the development of autoimmune thyroiditis (AT) and other autoimmune diseases. This article reviews the role of heavy metals and infectious agents in AT...
- Disease associations with autoimmune thyroid diseaseRichard C Jenkins
University of Sheffield, Clinical Sciences Centre, Northern General Hospital, Sheffield, United Kingdom
Thyroid 12:977-88. 2002..This review has examined the evidence base for a large number of the suggested associations...
- Thyroid neoplasia, autoimmune thyroiditis, and hypothyroidism in persons exposed to iodine 131 from the hanford nuclear siteScott Davis
Programs in Epidemiology, Division of Public Health Sciences, Fred Hutchinson Cancer Research Center, Seattle, WA 98109 1024, USA
JAMA 292:2600-13. 2004..The risk of thyroid disease resulting from prolonged environmental 131I exposure is poorly understood...
- Coeliac disease in patients with autoimmune thyroiditisU Volta
Department of Internal Medicine, Cardioangiology, Hepatology, University of Bologna, S Orsola Malpighi Polyclinic, Bologna, Italy
Digestion 64:61-5. 2001..The close association between coeliac disease and autoimmunity prompted us to perform an antibody screening for gluten-sensitive enteropathy in patients with autoimmune thyroid dysfunction...
- Increased fetal abortion rate in autoimmune thyroid disease is related to circulating TPO autoantibodies in an autoimmune thyroiditis animal modelYin Lau Lee
Department of Obstetrics and Gynecology, University of Hong Kong, Hong Kong, Republic of China
Fertil Steril 91:2104-9. 2009To determine the fertility and abortion rates in a mouse model of autoimmune thyroiditis and its relationship with circulating anti-thyroid peroxidase (TPO) antibody.
- Pathogenic human thyroglobulin peptides in HLA-DR3 transgenic mouse model of autoimmune thyroiditisJeffrey C Flynn
Department of Immunology and Microbiology, Wayne State University School of Medicine, Detroit, MI 48201, USA
Cell Immunol 229:79-85. 2004..These results demonstrate the utility of using this computer-based algorithm with synthetic peptides to help identify pathogenic T cell epitopes on hTg...
- Coexisting Hashimoto's thyroiditis with differentiated thyroid cancer and benign thyroid diseases: indications for thyroidectomyAdolfo Pisanu
Dipartimento Chirurgico Materno Infantile e di Scienze dell Immagine, Centro di Studio per la Chirurgia Endocrina e Metabolica, University of Cagliari
Chir Ital 55:365-72. 2003..In conclusion, an adequate follow up of patients with Hashimoto's thyroiditis may permit an early diagnosis of differentiated thyroid cancer and its appropriate management...
- Demographic, clinical, laboratory, ultrasonographic, and cytological features of patients with Hashimoto's thyroiditis: results of a university hospital of 769 patients in TurkeyMehmet Erdogan
Department of Endocrinology and Metabolism, Ege University Faculty of Medicine, 35100 Bornova, Izmir, Turkey
Endocrine 36:486-90. 2009..Nodule formation was the most common ultrasonographic finding in our patients, probably due to pseudonodularity. We found four women patients with thyroid cancer in our population...
- Hashimoto's encephalopathyNicoline Schiess
Department of Neurology, Division of Neuroimmunology and Neuroinfectious Disorders, Johns Hopkins University School of Medicine, Baltimore, Maryland 21287, USA
Ann N Y Acad Sci 1142:254-65. 2008..Further controlled studies of the use of steroids, plasmapheresis, or immunosuppressant medications are needed in the future to prove the concept of the pathogenic role of antithyroid antibodies in HE...
- Hashimoto's encephalopathy : epidemiology, pathogenesis and managementRamon Mocellin
Neuropsychiatry Unit, The Royal Melbourne Hospital, Parkville, Victoria, Australia
CNS Drugs 21:799-811. 2007..Some authors have suggested abandoning any link to Hashimoto and renaming the condition 'steroid responsive encephalopathy associated with autoimmune thyroiditis' to better reflect current, if limited, understanding of this condition.
- Goitrous autoimmune thyroiditis in a pediatric population: a longitudinal studySripathy Gopalakrishnan
Institute of Nuclear Medicine and Allied Sciences, Delhi, India
Pediatrics 122:e670-4. 2008Patients with autoimmune thyroiditis can present with thyroid function that varies from euthyroidism to frank hypothyroidism or occasionally hyperthyroidism...
- Chronic autoimmune thyroiditis (Hashimoto's thyroiditis) in patients with MALT lymphomaM Troch
Division of Oncology, Department of Internal Medicine I, University of Vienna, Vienna, Austria
Ann Oncol 19:1336-9. 2008..MALT lymphoma has been described as an adverse event in patients suffering from long-standing chronic autoimmune thyroiditis (CAT, Hashimoto's thyroiditis)...
- Hashimoto's thyroiditis with papillary thyroid carcinoma (PTC)-like nuclear alterations express molecular markers of PTCM L Prasad
Department of Pathology, Ohio State University, Columbus, OH 43210 1296, USA
Histopathology 45:39-46. 2004..The aim of this study was to determine whether molecular expression patterns of PTC are present in association with PTC-like nuclear alterations in Hashimoto's thyroiditis...
- A novel bioreporter assay for thyrotropin receptor antibodies using a chimeric thyrotropin receptor (mc4) is more useful in differentiation of Graves' disease from painless thyroiditis than conventional thyrotropin-stimulating antibody assay using porcineKeiichi Kamijo
Kamijo Thyroid Clinic and Kamijo Thyroid Research Institute, Sapporo, Japan
Thyroid 20:851-6. 2010..Graves' disease (GD) is caused by thyrotropin (TSH) receptor antibodies (TSHRAbs) that bind to TSHR and activate thyrocytes. The measurement of TSHRAbs therefore has been used to assist in the diagnosis and management of GD...
- Chronic autoimmune thyroiditis in children and adolescents: at presentation and during long-term follow-upL de Vries
Institute for Endocrinology and Diabetes, National Center for Childhood Diabetes, Schneider Children s Medical Center of Israel, Petah Tiqwa, Israel
Arch Dis Child 94:33-7. 2009To investigate the clinical manifestations of autoimmune thyroiditis (AIT) leading to referral in children and adolescents, in addition to disease course and long-term outcome.
- The association between thyroid carcinoma and Hashimoto's thyroiditis: the ultrasonographic and histopathologic characteristics of malignant nodulesKamile Gul
Department of Endocrinology and Metabolism, Ankara Ataturk Education and Research Hospital, Ankara, Turkey
Thyroid 20:873-8. 2010..The aim of this study was to determine if there is an association between TC and HT and to determine if the US and histopathologic characteristics of malignant nodules in patients with and without HT are similar...
- Four cases of Graves' disease which developed after painful Hashimoto's thyroiditisHidemi Ohye
Department of Internal Medicine, Kuma Hospital, Kobe
Intern Med 45:385-9. 2006..Thyroid damage due to painful Hashimoto's thyroiditis may be associated with the development of Graves' disease...
- Hashimoto's encephalopathy masquerading as acute psychosisR A Wilcox
Department of Neurology, Level 2, Flinders Medical Centre, Bedford Park, Adelaide 5042, South Australia, Australia
J Clin Neurosci 15:1301-4. 2008..HE) is a relapsing, but exquisitely corticosteroid-responsive encephalopathy associated with autoimmune thyroiditis. Although a rare disease, with just over 100 cases reported, it may be under-recognised...
- Natural course of autoimmune thyroiditis in type 1 diabetes: association with gender, age, diabetes duration, and pubertyO Kordonouri
Clinic of General Pediatrics, Otto Heubner Centrum, Charite, Campus Virchow Klinikum, Humboldt University, Berlin, Germany
Arch Dis Child 90:411-4. 2005To investigate the natural history and incidence of autoimmune thyroiditis (AIT) in paediatric patients with type 1 diabetes (T1D).
- The link between Graves' disease and Hashimoto's thyroiditis: a role for regulatory T cellsSandra M McLachlan
Cedars Sinai Medical Center, 8700 Beverly Boulevard, Los Angeles, CA 90048, USA
Endocrinology 148:5724-33. 2007..These data suggest a role for Treg in the natural progression of hyperthyroid Graves' disease to Hashimoto's thyroiditis and hypothyroidism in humans...
- Identification of susceptibility loci for autoimmune thyroid disease to 5q31-q33 and Hashimoto's thyroiditis to 8q23-q24 by multipoint affected sib-pair linkage analysis in JapaneseK Sakai
Department of Immunobiology and Neuroscience, Division of Immunogenetics, Medical Institute of Bioregulation, Kyushu University, Maidashi 3 1 1, Higashi ku, Fukuoka 812 8582, Japan
Hum Mol Genet 10:1379-86. 2001..77 at D8S272. These observations suggest the presence of an AITD susceptibility locus at 5q31-q33 and a HT susceptibility locus at 8q23-q24...
- Amino acid substitutions in the thyroglobulin gene are associated with susceptibility to human and murine autoimmune thyroid diseaseYoshiyuki Ban
Division of Endocrinology, Diabetes, and Bone Diseases, Department of Medicine, Mount Sinai School of Medicine, New York, NY 10029, USA
Proc Natl Acad Sci U S A 100:15119-24. 2003..A combination of at least two Tg SNPs conferred susceptibility to human AITD. Moreover, the exon 33 SNP showed evidence for interaction with HLA-DR3 in conferring susceptibility to Graves' disease...
- Cell-type-specific expression of STAT transcription factors in tissue samples from patients with lymphocytic thyroiditisJulia Staab
Klinik fur Psychosomatische Medizin und Psychotherapie, Georg August Universitat, Gottingen, Germany
Endocr Pathol 23:141-50. 2012....
- Dual roles for IFN-gamma, but not for IL-4, in spontaneous autoimmune thyroiditis in NOD.H-2h4 miceShiguang Yu
Department of Internal Medicine, University of Missouri School of Medicine, Columbia, MO 65212, USA
J Immunol 169:3999-4007. 2002Spontaneous autoimmune thyroiditis (SAT) is an organ-specific autoimmune disease characterized by chronic inflammation of the thyroid by T and B lymphocytes...
- Inhibition of TGFbeta1 by anti-TGFbeta1 antibody or lisinopril reduces thyroid fibrosis in granulomatous experimental autoimmune thyroiditisKemin Chen
Department of Internal Medicine, University of Missouri School of Medicine, Columbia 65212, USA
J Immunol 169:6530-8. 2002In this study, a murine model of granulomatous experimental autoimmune thyroiditis (G-EAT) was used to determine the role of TGFbeta1 in fibrosis initiated by an autoimmune inflammatory response...
- Natural course of autoimmune thyroiditis after elimination of iodine deficiency in northwestern GreeceChristos Zois
Department of Endocrinology, University Hospital of Ioannina, Ioannina, Greece
Thyroid 16:289-93. 2006We have previously reported the elimination of iodine deficiency and increasing prevalence of autoimmune thyroiditis (AIT) among schoolchildren in northwestern Greece...
- Selenomethionine treatment in patients with autoimmune thyroiditis: a prospective, quasi-randomised trialA D Anastasilakis
Department of Endocrinology, 424 Military Hospital, Thessaloniki, Greece
Int J Clin Pract 66:378-83. 2012..To test whether selenium administration affects autoantibodies to thyroid peroxidase (anti-TPO) and thyroglobulin (anti-TG) titres in chronic autoimmune (Hashimoto's - HT) thyroiditis...
- Clinical manifestations, diagnostic criteria and therapy of Hashimoto's encephalopathy: report of two casesMilija Mijajlovic
Institute of Neurology, Clinical Center of Serbia, Dr Subotica 6, 11000 Belgrade, Serbia
J Neurol Sci 288:194-6. 2010..Both forms may be accompanied by depressed level of consciousness (stupor or coma), tremor, seizures, or myoclonus. We present two patients with two distinct forms of HE who had different clinical manifestations and response to therapy...
- [Reversible white matter lesions and antithyroid antibodies in the cerebrospinal fluid in Hashimoto's encephalopathy: a case report]Masakazu Wakai
Department of Neurology, Kakegawa City General Hospital
Rinsho Shinkeigaku 44:432-7. 2004....
- Autoimmune thyroid diseases: etiology, pathogenesis, and dermatologic manifestationsJulia Ai
University of Medicine and Dentistry of New Jersey Robert Wood Johnson Medical School, Camden, USA
J Am Acad Dermatol 48:641-59; quiz 660-2. 2003..Current understanding of the role of genetic and environmental factors, antigens, and apoptosis are elaborated. The future holds exciting insight into the etiology, pathogenesis, and treatment of AITD...
- MOLECULAR AND BIOCHEMICAL ANALYSIS OF THE CANINE MHCJohn Wagner; Fiscal Year: 2001..DESCRIPTION (Adapted from the applicant's abstract): Canine models of human diseases have been used to study autoimmune thyroiditis, gluten-sensitive enteropathy, narcolepsy, complement deficiencies, and solid organ and hematopoietic ..
- Regulation of Type 1 Interferon Production by Autoimmunity-Associated PTPN22Yaya Wang; Fiscal Year: 2013..This variant is associated with increased risk for SLE, RA, T1D, and autoimmune thyroiditis. Expression surveys reveal that PTPN22 is highly expressed in the myeloid cells implicated in host defense ..
- Thyroid Epithelial Cell Hyperplasia: Mechanisms of InductionHELEN B MULLEN; Fiscal Year: 2012Wild-type (WT) and IL-4-/- NOD.H-2h4 mice given 0.05% NaI water develop lymphocytic spontaneous autoimmune thyroiditis (L-SAT) with B and T cell infiltration of the thyroid, and production of anti-thyroglobulin antibody...
- Analyzing The Joint Susceptibility Genes for Autoimmune Thyroiditis and DiabetesYaron Tomer; Fiscal Year: 2012..the mechanisms causing the strong association between thyroid autoimmunity and type1 diabetes will allow us not only disease predictions within families, but also to develop rational, mechanism-based, treatment and prevention strategies ..
- Mechanisms by which B cell depletion inhibits autoimmune diseasesHELEN B MULLEN; Fiscal Year: 2012The goal is to determine how B cells regulate development of autoimmune diseases in a model of spontaneous autoimmune thyroiditis (SAT). All wild-type (WT) NOD.H-2h4 mice given 0...
- Characterization of Innate immune receptorsDetlef Schuppan; Fiscal Year: 2009..Cd is associated with secondary autoimmunity, such as type 1 diabetes or autoimmune thyroiditis, and longterm Cd that has not been treated with a strict gluten free diet can lead to (gastrointestinal) ..
- Thyroidal Macrophages in Autoimmune Hypothyroidism and Hurthle CellsPatrizio Caturegli; Fiscal Year: 2010..The present proposal mainly aims to characterize the role of LMP2 and macrophages in autoimmune thyroiditis.
- HEMOSTATIC DEFECTS AND THYROID HORMONE THERAPYWINIFRED DODDS; Fiscal Year: 1990..production, availability and/or reactivity; iii) reduces levels of antithyroid antibodies present in autoimmune thyroiditis which may interfere with hemostasis; and iv) alters endothelial cell metabolism...
- SIMPLIFIED POPULATION SCREENING FOR ADULT HYPOTHYROIDISMEdwin Naylor; Fiscal Year: 2000..collect DBS specimens from the following three populations who are at high risk for the development of autoimmune thyroiditis and hypothyroidism: (a) An elderly population currently Living in Nursing and Personal Care Homes will be ..
- MODULATION OF THE IMMUNE RESPONSE BY VITAMIN DWilliam Rigby; Fiscal Year: 1993..calcitriol administration has been shown to ameliorate several different animal models of autoimmunity (autoimmune thyroiditis, systemic lupus, adjuvant-induced arthritis, and experimental allergic encephalomyelitis)...
- NOD-H2H4 MICE AS A SENTINEL MODEL FOR AUTOIMMUNE THYROIDC Burek; Fiscal Year: 2001DESCRIPTION (Taken from the Investigator's Abstract) Autoimmune thyroiditis is a multifactorial disease in which genetic predisposition combines with environmental factors to induce disease...
- Ret Signaling in Paraneoplastic Peripheral NeuropathyJOSEPHINE FOX; Fiscal Year: 2009..This research will aid in understanding the persistence of constipation and muscle weakness in autoimmune thyroiditis patients even after treatment with hormone replacement such as thyroxine...
- IMMUNOTOXIC EFFECTS OF IODINEC Burek; Fiscal Year: 2000DESCRIPTION: (Adapted from the investigator's Abstract) Autoimmune thyroiditis is a multifactorial condition with several genetic and environmental components contributing to disease. Iodine has been implicated as one of these components...
- AUTOIMMUNE THYROIDITIS IN A MODELRoy Sundick; Fiscal Year: 1990..The mechanisms by which dietary iodide induces autoimmune thyroiditis in CS chickens will be investigated by examining the relationship between TSH- independent thyroid ..
- Therapeutic treatment of EAT by inducing dendritic cellBellur S Prabhakar; Fiscal Year: 2010Experimental Autoimmune Thyroiditis (EAT) is characterized by eventual destruction of thyroid by infiltrating lymphocytes resulting in hypothyroidism...
- TLR Signal Inhibition: a Novel Therapeutic ParadigmLeonard Kohn; Fiscal Year: 2005..g. Type 1 diabetes, colitis, autoimmune thyroiditis, atherosclerosis)...
- SUPPRESSOR MECHANISMS REGULATING AUTOIMMUNE THYROIDITISYI CHI KONG; Fiscal Year: 1990Experimental autoimmune thyroiditis (EAT) in mice serves as a prototype for the study of Hashimoto's thyroiditis, as well as other organ-specific autoimmune disorders...
- MINORITY PREDOCTORAL FELLOWSHIP PROGRAMChristopher Sampson; Fiscal Year: 2003..proposal is to define the mechanisms regulating the resolution of a granulomatous form of experimental autoimmune thyroiditis (G-EAT) in mice...
- Induction of tolerance to islet cell transplantsBellur Prabhakar; Fiscal Year: 2004..or tissue (thyroid), that express TSHR and induce tissue-specific tolerance and prevent the development of autoimmune thyroiditis. In this application, under aim 1, we propose to test the potential of an anti-alloantigen (anti-H2d)/anti-..
- Identifying and Analyzing Genes Linked to Autoimmune Thyroid DiseasesYaron Tomer; Fiscal Year: 2010..This could have a major impact on public health, as it may facilitate the development of mechanism-based treatments in autoimmunity, such as CD40 blockade. ..
- T Cell Recognition & Repertoire in Autoimmune ThyroditisYI CHI KONG; Fiscal Year: 2005The overall goal is to use murine experimental autoimmune thyroiditis (EAT) as a model to probe the recognitory, pathogenic, and regulatory mechanisms, both promoting and inhibiting thyroid damage in Hashimoto's thyroiditis (HT), the ..
- Cell/Tissue Damage and Autoimmune ResponseNoel Rose; Fiscal Year: 2006..Overall, we anticipate a faculty of 25 to 30 speakers, and about 75 to 100 attendees. After the colloquium, our ultimate goal is to publish the meeting report in a well-circulated journal. ..
- Pathogenesis of Autoimmune MyocarditisNoel Rose; Fiscal Year: 2009..We propose to broaden our knowledge of the pathogenesis of myocarditis, in order to rationalize new biologic approaches to treatment. ..
- Interferon gamma in autoimmune thyroiditis & thyroid functionPatrizio Caturegli; Fiscal Year: 2007..with decreased NIS expression; b) induces Hurthle cells-like and increase thyroidal fat; c) protects from autoimmune thyroiditis. Specific aim 1 is to test the hypothesis that the IFNg-driven activation of the immunoproteasome is ..
- Genetic mechanisms of autoimmune myocarditisNoel Rose; Fiscal Year: 2007..We build on our preliminary data to propose hypothesis-driven aims to identify host genes that control susceptibility and characterize their mechanisms of action in a murine model of autoimmune myocarditis. ..
- Role of innate immunity in autoimmune myocarditisNoel Rose; Fiscal Year: 2005..The findings generated by these studies will aid in understanding the development of autoimmune disease initiated by infection. ..
- Sex differences in Coxsackievirus-induced myocarditisNoel Rose; Fiscal Year: 2004..The findings generated by these studies will aid in understanding the sex- based differences in severity in this model of infection-induced autoimmune disease. ..
- Thyroid Epithelial Cell Hyperplasia: Mechanisms of InductionHelen Mullen; Fiscal Year: 2008Wild-type (WT) and IL-4-/- NOD.H-2h4 mice given 0.05% NaI water develop lymphocytic spontaneous autoimmune thyroiditis (L-SAT) with B and T cell infiltration of the thyroid, and production of anti-thyroglobulin antibody...
- Autoimmune Thyroiditis-Induction and ResolutionHelen Mullen; Fiscal Year: 2007..control the type and extent of an autoimmune inflammatory response using well-defined routine models of autoimmune thyroiditis. These provide a unique opportunity to study 3 distinct outcomes of autoimmune inflammation, i.e...
- Tilting the balance in cancer immunotherapy and autoimmunityWei Zen Wei; Fiscal Year: 2010..of Her-2/neu DNA vaccine after CD25+ regulatory T cell (Treg) depletion, but with concurrent induction of autoimmune thyroiditis. To obtain lasting therapeutic efficacy, thereby inhibiting subsequent spontaneous tumorigenesis and ..
- Autoimmunity and Pathogenesis of GlomerulonephritisHarini Bagavant; Fiscal Year: 2010..These studies will provide insights into pathogenesis of lupus nephritis and identify checkpoints for intervention in patients. ..
- Prenatal Factors and Risk of Bipolar DisorderALAN STEWART BROWN; Fiscal Year: 2010....
- Extrahepatic Replication and Viral Evolution of HCV During HCV/HIV Co-infectionJason Blackard; Fiscal Year: 2007..This proposal will provide important data on co-factors of virus transmission and identify potential markers of HCV disease progression and treatment failure. [unreadable] [unreadable] [unreadable]..
- Dementia Caregiver Treatment for Nursing Home TransitionJennifer Davis; Fiscal Year: 2006..This low-cost intervention may be useful as part of routine care for dementia caregivers transitioning their family member to long-term care facilities. [unreadable] [unreadable]..
- Molecular Change and Thyroid Cancer Risk After ChernobylScott Davis; Fiscal Year: 2006..g. recurrence) and individual thyroid radiation dose, patient characteristics, and molecular markers of genetic change. [unreadable] [unreadable]..
- Prenatal factors and risk of autism in a Finnish national birth cohortALAN STEWART BROWN; Fiscal Year: 2010....
- BIOLOGY OF HUMAN INTRAEPITHELIAL LYMPHOCYTESEllen Ebert; Fiscal Year: 2002..These studies will determine the mechanism of IEL chemotaxis toward secreted products of ECs, why IL-15 is more potent than IL-2 in inducing LAK activity by IELs, and how IL-10 and IL-12 augment this activity. ..
- Serologic Studies of Prenatal Factors in SchizophreniaAlan Brown; Fiscal Year: 2002..For this purpose, we shall quantify levels of these cytokines in 100 SSD cases and their respective matched controls, and compare these levels between the groups. ..
- PROGRAMMING GLUCOCORTICOID SECRETION DURING FETAL LIFEDavid Phillips; Fiscal Year: 2003..g. obesity reduction). ..
- BORAGE OIL AND GINKGO BILOBA (EGb 761) IN ASTHMAMERRILL GERSHWIN; Fiscal Year: 2004..It is hoped that findings from these studies will evolve relatively non-toxic therapeutic alternatives for attenuating bronchial hyperresponsiveness and inflammation in patients with asthma. ..
- DEVELOPMENTAL INSULT AND BRAIN ANOMALY IN SCHIZOPHRENIAAlan Brown; Fiscal Year: 2004....
- 2006 Chemotactic Cytokines Gordon ConferenceSergio Lira; Fiscal Year: 2006..The conference is also intended to expose students, postdoctoral fellows, and other trainees to leading scientists. Support is requested to help cover the travel and/or conference fee costs at the European venue. ..
- Regulatory T cells in Systemic Lupus ErythematosusHarini Bagavant; Fiscal Year: 2007..This award will help to overcome the lag period in my career induced by my leave of absence and return to a new field of study, and will facilitate my aim of becoming an independent scientist. ..
- Role of Chemokine Receptor ORF74 in AngioproliferationSergio Lira; Fiscal Year: 2008..To define the cell type responsible for the development of the angioproliferative disease. AIM 3. To determine whether ORF74 expression is required for maintenance and progression of the angioproliferative disease. ..
- 2008 Chemotactic Cytokines Gordon Research ConferenceSergio Lira; Fiscal Year: 2008..They are also suitable targets for biological therapeutics, and again monoclonal antibodies are currently under testing in man. [unreadable] [unreadable] [unreadable] [unreadable]..
- THE PATHOGENESIS OF AUTOIMMUNITY IN A MURINE MODEL OF PRIMARY BILIARY CIRRHOSISMERRILL E GERSHWIN; Fiscal Year: 2010..abstract_text> ..
- NIGHT SHIFT WORKERS AND HORMONE LEVELS IN WOMENScott Davis; Fiscal Year: 2006..Urine samples will be assayed for the primary urinary metabolite of melatonin, 6-sulphatoxymelatonin, and levels of LH, FSH, and estradiol. ..