Genomes and Genes
Summary: Enlargement of the thymus. A condition described in the late 1940's and 1950's as pathological thymic hypertrophy was status thymolymphaticus and was treated with radiotherapy. Unnecessary removal of the thymus was also practiced. It later became apparent that the thymus undergoes normal physiological hypertrophy, reaching a maximum at puberty and involuting thereafter. The concept of status thymolymphaticus has been abandoned. Thymus hyperplasia is present in two thirds of all patients with myasthenia gravis. (From Segen, Dictionary of Modern Medicine, 1992; Cecil Textbook of Medicine, 19th ed, p1486)
Publications133 found, 100 shown here
- The thymus. Pediatric surgical aspectsP S Midulla
Division of Pediatric Surgery, Mount Sinai Medical Center, New York, New York, USA
Chest Surg Clin N Am 11:255-67. 2001..It is apparent that further research is needed to clarify the functional role of the thymus gland in the developing immune system. Until better elucidated, a conservative approach to neonatal thymectomy may be justified...
- Thymic lesions and myasthenia gravis. Diagnosis based on mediastinal imaging and pathological findingsT Pirronti
Institutes of Radiology and Neurology, Catholic University, Rome, Italy
Acta Radiol 43:380-4. 2002..To achieve a better understanding of the role of CT and MR imaging in the study of the mediastinum in patients with myasthenia gravis (MG)...
- Thymic hyperplasia and thymus gland tumors: differentiation with chemical shift MR imagingTsutomu Inaoka
Department of Radiology, Asahikawa Medical College, 2 1 1 1 Midorigaoka Higashi, Asahikawa 078 8510, Japan
Radiology 243:869-76. 2007..To prospectively evaluate chemical shift magnetic resonance (MR) imaging for differentiating thymic hyperplasia from tumors of the thymus gland...
- Pleiotropic effects of the 8.1 HLA haplotype in patients with autoimmune myasthenia gravis and thymus hyperplasiaClaire Vandiedonck
Institut National de la Santé et de la Recherche Médicale U580 and Institut de Recherche Necker Enfants Malades, 161 rue de Sevres, 75743 Paris Cedex 15, France
Proc Natl Acad Sci U S A 101:15464-9. 2004..the HLA complex has been reproducibly associated with several autoimmune diseases and traits, notably with thymus hyperplasia in patients with acquired generalized myasthenia gravis, an autoantibody-mediated disease directed at the ..
- Characterization of the normal and hyperplastic thymus on chemical-shift MR imagingKoji Takahashi
Department of Radiology, Asahikawa Medical College, 2 1 1 1 Midorigaoka Higashi, Asahikawa 078 8510, Japan
AJR Am J Roentgenol 180:1265-9. 2003..We designed our study to prospectively assess a potential role for chemical-shift MR imaging in identifying a thymus that has not been completely replaced by fat tissue...
- Morphological imaging of thymic disordersL Camera
National Research Council Center of Nuclear Medicine and the Department of Biomorphological and Functional Sciences, University Federico II, Naples, Italy
Ann Med 31:57-62. 1999..MRI depicts accurately pleural and/or pericardial implants as well as the involvement of great vessels, offering considerable aid in the planning of surgery...
- Dendritic cells in hyperplastic thymuses from patients with myasthenia gravisYuriko Nagane
Department of Neurology, Iwate Medical University, Uchimaru 19 1, Morioka 020 8505, Japan
Muscle Nerve 27:582-9. 2003..DCs may present self-antigens, thereby promoting the priming and/or boosting of potentially autoreactive T cells against the acetylcholine receptor...
- Comparative study of pre-operative thymic imaging and pathology in patients with myasthenia gravisYoshihiro Yasukawa
Department of Neurology and Neurobiology of Aging, Kanazawa University Graduate School of Medical Science Kanazawa University, 13 1 Takaramachi, Kanazawa 920 8640, Japan
J Clin Neurosci 11:610-3. 2004..201)Tl-SPECT could not distinguish thymoma from LFH. We conclude that a CT study is recommended as an essential study for the detection of thymic abnormalities in pre-operative patients with MG...
- [The history of thymus surgery]M Overhaus
Klinik und Poliklinik für Allgemein, Viszeral, Thorax und Gefässchirurgie der Rheinischen Friedrich Wilhelms Universität Bonn, Sigmund Freud Str 25, 53105 Bonn, Deutschland
Chirurg 78:950-3. 2007....
- Chemotherapy-induced thymus hyperplasia can mimic tumor recurrenceOsama Halaweh
Department of Hematology Oncology, Providence Hospital and Medical Center, Southfield, Michigan, USA
Breast J 12:381-2. 2006
- True thymic hyperplasia associated with severe thymic cyst bleeding in a newborn: case report and review of the literatureFrank Eifinger
Department of Neonatology and Neonatal Intensive Care Unit, Children s Hospital, University of Cologne, Joseph Stelzmann Strasse 9, D 50923, Cologne, Germany
Ann Diagn Pathol 11:358-62. 2007..The combination of true thymic hyperplasia and cyst bleeding in a newborn has not been previously reported and will be discussed in relation to the available literature on respiratory distress due to thymic pathology in childhood...
- Airway compression following thymus hyperplasia in an infant with Pierre Robin sequence and congenital diaphragmatic herniaR Hentschel
Department of Pediatrics, , , Germany
Pediatr Pulmonol 32:476-9. 2001..At age 7 months, she was rehospitalized in respiratory failure because of pneumonia. At this time, thymus hyperplasia was first diagnosed, which had caused tracheobronchomalacia and displacement of the tracheobronchial tree...
- Raised prolactin levels in myasthenia gravis: two case reports and a study of two patient populationsN Tsinzerling
Center for Molecular Medicine, Karolinska Institutet, Stockholm, Sweden
Acta Neurol Scand 114:346-9. 2006..To describe two patients with myasthenia gravis (MG) and prolactinoma and analyze the associations between MG and prolactin (PRL) levels...
- Thymic hyperplasia after adjuvant chemotherapy in breast cancerAasim S Sehbai
Section of Hematology Oncology, West Virginia University, Morgantown, WV 26506 9162, USA
J Thorac Imaging 21:43-6. 2006..Awareness of this unusual side effect in patients treated with chemotherapy may prevent unnecessary investigation and surgical intervention...
- Thymic hyperplasia presenting as anterior mediastinal mass in 2 patients with Graves diseaseAdriane I Budavari
Division of Community Internal Medicine, Mayo Clinic, Scottsdale, AZ 85259, USA
Mayo Clin Proc 77:495-9. 2002..We report 2 patients with Graves disease and incidentally discovered anterior mediastinal masses presumed to be thymic hyperplasia. In both cases, these masses regressed spontaneously after treatment of hyperthyroidism...
- Rationale for a T cell receptor peptide therapy in myasthenia gravisF Jambou
CNRS UMR 8078, IPSC, Universite Paris XI, Hopital Marie Lannelongue, Le Plessis Robinson, France
Ann N Y Acad Sci 998:320-3. 2003
- [Advances in the research on immunopathogenesis of myasthenia gravis]Marcin Zielinski
Oddziału Torakochirurgicznego Samodzielnego Publicznego Szpitala Specjalistycznego Chorób Płuc w Zakopanem
Neurol Neurochir Pol 37:1085-94. 2003....
- [Is pure red cell aplasia a new extra digestive manifestation of celiac disease?]A L Couderc
Service de Medecine Interne, Hopital Nord, Assistance Publique Hôpitaux de Marseille APHM, Universite de la Mediterranee, Chemin des Bourrely, 13915 Marseille, Cedex 20, France
Rev Med Interne 27:336-9. 2006..Celiac disease is an autoimmune enteropathy that appears on a predisposed genetic background. Its clinical presentation has been extended those last years by varied extradigestive manifestations...
- Myasthenia gravis with thymus hyperplasia and pure red cell aplasiaYutaka Suto
Department of Neurology, Institute of Neurological Sciences, Faculty of Medicine, Tottori University, 36 1 Nishimachi, Yonago 683 8504, Japan
J Neurol Sci 224:93-5. 2004A case of myasthenia gravis (MG) with thymus hyperplasia and pure red cell aplasia (PRCA) is reported. A 57-year-old woman was diagnosed as having MG and was treated with thymectomy 26 years ago...
- Clinical features of patients with myasthenia gravis associated with autoimmune diseasesM Kanazawa
Department of Neurology, Brain Research Institute, Niigata University, Asahimachi Dori, Niigata, Japan
Eur J Neurol 14:1403-4. 2007..Further studies should be performed to investigate whether MG associated with Graves' disease is a distinct subtype of MG...
- Enhanced skin carcinogenesis and lack of thymus hyperplasia in transgenic mice expressing human cyclin D1b (CCND1b)Paola Rojas
The University of Texas M D Anderson Cancer Center, Science Park Research Division, Smithville, Texas 78957, USA
Mol Carcinog 48:508-16. 2009..We were unable to find any evidence of an alternatively spliced transcript in mouse Ccnd1. These results show that human cyclin D1b has different biological functions than cyclin D1a and confirm its oncogenic properties...
- Thymus hyperplasia after resolution of hypercortisolism in ACTH-dependent Cushing's syndrome: the importance of thymic vein catheterizationMalebranche Berardo C Cunha Neto
Neuroendocrine Unit, Division of Neurosurgery, Hospital das Clinicas, University of Sao Paulo School of Medicine, Rua Ovídio Pires de Campos 785, Cerqueira Cesar, 01060 970, Sao Paulo, SP, Brazil
Eur J Endocrinol 154:807-11. 2006....
- Genetic factors in autoimmune myasthenia gravisMatthieu Giraud
Joslin Diabetes Center, Harvard Medical School, Boston, Massachusetts, USA
Ann N Y Acad Sci 1132:180-92. 2008..The clinically typical form of autoimmune MG with thymus hyperplasia shows the most reproducible genetic associations, especially with the A1-B8-DR3 (8...
- Dysphonia as a primary manifestation in myasthenia gravis (MG): a retrospective review of 7 cases among 1520 MG patientsWei bin Liu
Department of Neurology, The First Affiliated Hospital, Sun Yat Sen University, 58 Zhongshan 2nd Road, Guangzhou 510080, China
J Neurol Sci 260:16-22. 2007..Extended thymectomy was applied to MG patients with thymus hyperplasia or thymic tumor. Significant improvement was found in all 7 cases after these treatments...
- Dropped head syndrome as prominent clinical feature in MuSK-positive Myasthenia Gravis with thymus hyperplasiaKonstantinos Spengos
Department of Neurology, Eginition Hospital, University of Athens School of Medicine, Vas Sofias 74, 11528 Athens, Greece
Neuromuscul Disord 18:175-7. 2008..patient with over four years slowly progressive weakness of the neck extensor muscles in the presence of thymus hyperplasia and discuss its uncommon and markedly focal clinical and electrophysiological features, as well as the ..
- Thymus alterations and systemic sclerosisC Ferri
Servizio di Reumatologia, Policlinico Università di Modena, Largo del Pozzo no 71, 41100 Modena, Italy
Rheumatology (Oxford) 45:72-5. 2006..Previous anecdotal observations suggest a possible role for thymus alterations in some autoimmune rheumatic diseases, including SSc. This study aimed to investigate the prevalence of radiological thymus alterations in SSc patients...
- True thymic hyperplasia associated with thymic hemorrhage in an adult patientEmanuela Pilozzi
Department of Experimental Medicine and Pathology, II Faculty of Medicine, Sant Andrea Hospital, University La Sapienza, Rome, Italy
Pathol Res Pract 206:331-3. 2010..This finding raises the possibility that vascular malformations, perhaps due to an abnormal growth of the thymus, may be responsible for some cases of TH associated with TTH...
- The power of labelsWilliam A Silverman
Lancet 364:929. 2004
- Diagnostic imaging and therapy in a case of myasthenia gravis associated with thymic hyperplasiaRaffaella Foschi
Istituto di Radiologia, Universita Cattolica del S Cuore, Policlinico A Gemelli, Roma, Italy
Rays 28:369-78. 2003..Definitive diagnosis of thymic hyperplasia was established. Therefore surgery should be essentially associated with the severity of the clinical presentation rather than with thymic hyperplasia...
- The thymus in autoimmune Myasthenia Gravis: Paradigm for a tertiary lymphoid organJ M Weiss
Unité mixte de recherche CNRS UMR7215 Inserm U974 UPMC UM76 AIM, Thérapie des maladies du muscle strié, Institut de Myologie, Groupe Hospitalier Pitie Salpetriere, 105, Boulevard de l Hopital, 75651 Paris Cedex 13, France
Rev Neurol (Paris) 169:640-9. 2013..These factors could also be of importance in other autoimmune diseases, especially those characterized by tertiary lymphoid neogenesis. ..
- Myasthenia gravis associated with thymoma and toxic multinodular goiter. A case reportLidia lonescu
University of Medicine and Pharmacy Grigore T Popa lasi, Romania
Rev Med Chir Soc Med Nat Iasi 116:540-4. 2012..antithyroid drug treatment or surgery usually generates remission of myasthenia gravis (MG) in patients with thymus hyperplasia associated with Graves' hyperthyroidism...
- Positron emission tomography with 18-fluorodeoxyglucose in the staging and follow-up of lymphoma in the chestM Bangerter
Department of Medicine III, University of Ulm, Germany
Acta Oncol 38:799-804. 1999..In these two patients FDG uptake after therapy was caused by thymus hyperplasia. The remaining four cases before treatment remained unresolved...
- Mediastinal mass following successful chemotherapy for ovary dysgerminoma: benign process or disease relapse? A case reportMichele Guida
Medical Oncology Department, National Cancer Research Centre Giovanni Paolo II, Bari, Italy
J Pediatr Adolesc Gynecol 26:e13-6. 2013..This is the case of physiologic thymic hyperplasia, which occurs as a rebound phenomenon after chemotherapy in young women with ovarian dysgerminoma. Until now, no cases of dysgerminoma with benign mediastinal mass have been published...
- Variations with time and age in the risks of solid cancer incidence after radiation exposure in childhoodM P Little
National Radiological Protection Board, Chilton, Didcot, U K
Stat Med 17:1341-55. 1998..05) and between the cohorts (P < 0.0001) in the speed of increase of the excess absolute risk with time since exposure...
- Fine-needle aspiration in the evaluation of thyroid lesions in childrenJasleen Kaur
Department of Cytology and Gynecological Pathology, Post Graduate Institute of Medical Education and Research, Chandigarh, India
Diagn Cytopathol 40:E33-7. 2012..In lymphocytic thyroiditis, it provides a tissue diagnosis, thereby avoiding more invasive procedure for merely diagnostic purposes...
- Myasthenia gravis and scleroderma: two cases and a review of the literatureSasa A Zivkovic
VA Pittsburgh Healthcare System, Pittsburgh, PA 15240, United States
Clin Neurol Neurosurg 109:388-91. 2007..Our findings also suggest that d-penicillamine may be cautiously used in selected patients with pre-existing scleroderma and myasthenia, when potential benefits outweigh the risk of possible myasthenia exacerbation...
- Seronegative myasthenia gravis and Graves' disease. Is there a link?A Polymeris
2nd Department of Endocrinology and Metabolism, Alexandra General Hospital, Vas Sophias 80, Athens, Greece
Exp Clin Endocrinol Diabetes 120:254-6. 2012..A 34-year-old male with seronegative myasthenia gravis due to thymic hyperplasia was diagnosed with also GD and opthalmopathy. Several diagnostic and therapeutic issues regarding the relevant literature are discussed...
- [Thymus CT scan and thymoma associated antibodies in myasthenia gravis with thymoma]Yan feng Li
Department of Neurology, PUMC Hospital, CAMS and PUMC, Beijing 100730, China
Zhongguo Yi Xue Ke Xue Yuan Xue Bao 28:517-9. 2006..To investigate the clinical significance of the serum anti-titin, anti-ryanodine receptor (RyR) antibody level and thymus CT scan in the diagnosis of myasthenia gravis with thymoma...
- Chronic diazinon exposure: pathologies of spleen, thymus, blood cells, and lymph nodes are modulated by dietary protein or lipid in the mouseR D Handy
Department of Biological Sciences and Plymouth Environmental Research Centre, University of Plymouth, Drake Circus, Plymouth PL4 8AA, UK
Toxicology 172:13-34. 2002..We conclude that the immunotoxicity of diazinon is exacerbated by excess dietary protein or lipid. The limited recovery and post-exposure histochemical changes imply deleterious effects on metabolism with oxidative stress after exposure...
- Lambert-Eaton myasthenic syndrome and follicular thymic hyperplasia in systemic lupus erythematosusE Pasqualoni
Department of Internal Medicine, Bichat Claude Bernard Hospital, Paris Diderot University, Paris, France
Lupus 20:745-8. 2011..We report on a well-defined LEMS associated with thymus hyperplasia in a SLE patient...
- Ablation of a peptidyl prolyl isomerase Pin1 from p53-null mice accelerated thymic hyperplasia by increasing the level of the intracellular form of Notch1K Takahashi
Center for Interdisciplinary Research, Tohoku University, Sendai, Miyagi, Japan
Oncogene 26:3835-45. 2007..Pin1 depletion also inhibited the degradation of NIC by proteasomes. These results suggest that both Pin1 and p53 control the normal proliferation and differentiation of thymocytes by regulating the NIC level...
- [Changes in the neuromediator system of the thymus in rats after splenectomy]G Iu Struchko
Department of Medical Biology and Histology, Medical Institute, Chuvash State University, Cheboksrary
Morfologiia 113:105-8. 1998....
- Thymic hyperplasia in a child treated with growth hormoneLynda Polgreen
Department of Pediatrics, University of Minnesota, Minneapolis, MN 55455 0356, USA
Growth Horm IGF Res 17:41-6. 2007..To report a case of thymic hyperplasia diagnosed three months after initiation of recombinant human growth hormone (GH) for the treatment of GH deficiency...
- True thymic hyperplasia in an infantZheng Tan
Department of Cardiac and Thoracic Surgery, The Affiliated Children s Hospital of Zhejiang University, Hangzhou, Zhejiang 310003, China
J Pediatr Surg 45:1711-3. 2010..Percutaneous biopsy revealed normal thymic tissue. Steroids were administered with no response. Surgery may be required in patients with respiratory distress unresponsive to steroids...
- Co-administration of dopamine D1 and D2 agonists additively decreases daily food intake, body weight and hypothalamic neuropeptide Y level in ratsDong Yih Kuo
Department of Physiology, Chung Shan Medical University, Taichung City, Taiwan
J Biomed Sci 9:126-32. 2002....
- Expression of immune molecules CD25 and CXCL13 correlated with clinical severity of myasthenia gravisMin Zhang
Department of Neurology, Tangdu Hospital, Fourth Military Medical University, Xi an, Shaanxi 710038, China
J Mol Neurosci 50:317-23. 2013..093; P = 0.000, r = 0.671). Taken together, our findings suggest CD25 and CXCL13 participate in the pathogenesis of MG and may influence the clinical symptoms of MG...
- A case report of hyperthyroid-associated thymic hypertrophy in a child, presenting as an anterior mediastinal massYvette Nchung Achuo-Egbe
University of Kentucky College of Medicine, Lexington, KY, USA
Eur J Pediatr 170:937-40. 2011..In selected cases, the diagnosis may be made based on the clinical picture, radiologic appearance, and response to antithyroid therapy without the need of a thymic biopsy or thymectomy...
- A rare cause of respiratory distress in infants: tracheal compression due to anomalous course of innominate arteryYusuf Kenan Yalcinbas
Department of Cardiovascular Surgery, Acibadem Hospital, Bakirkoy Istanbul, Turkey
Turk J Pediatr 48:93-5. 2006..Chest X-ray revealed enlarged upper mediastinum. Patent foramen ovale and thymus hyperplasia were detected on echocardiographic examination...
- Robotic-assisted thymectomy with Da Vinci II versus sternotomy in the surgical treatment of non-thymomatous myasthenia gravis: early resultsS Renaud
Service de Chirurgie Thoracique, Pôle de Pathologie Thoracique, Hopitaux Universitaires de Strasbourg, Nouvel Hopital Civil, 1, Place de l Hopital, BP 426, 67091 Strasbourg Cedex, France
Rev Neurol (Paris) 169:30-6. 2013..Our objective was to demonstrate that the robot-assisted technique using the Da Vinci Surgical Robot II is at least as efficient and leaves fewer scars than the standard surgical technique...
- Autoimmunity, intestinal lymphoid hyperplasia, and defects in mucosal B-cell homeostasis in patients with PTEN hamartoma tumor syndromeMario Heindl
Hospital for Children and Adolescents, University of Leipzig, Leipzig, Germany
Gastroenterology 142:1093-1096.e6. 2012..with PTEN mutations, we described gastrointestinal lymphoid hyperplasia, extensive hyperplastic tonsils, thymus hyperplasia, autoimmune lymphocytic thyroiditis, autoimmune hemolytic anemia, and colitis...
- SDF-1/CXCL12 recruits B cells and antigen-presenting cells to the thymus of autoimmune myasthenia gravis patientsJulia Miriam Weiss
Unite Mixte de Recherche, CNRS UMR7215 INSERM U974 UPMC UM76 AIM, Thérapie des maladies du muscle strié, Institut de Myologie, Paris, France
Immunobiology 218:373-81. 2013..Altogether, our results suggest that HEV development and engagement of SDF-1 contribute to MG pathology by recruitment of peripheral B cells and APCs to the MG thymus...
- A comparative study of ocular and generalized myasthenia gravisSheng Yao Hsu
Department of Ophthalmology, Kaohsiung Medical University, No 100, Shih Chuan 1st Rd, Kaohsiung 807, Taiwan
Kaohsiung J Med Sci 18:62-9. 2002..The associations with thymoma or thymus hyperplasia were more common in generalized MG than in ocular MG, and more common in younger than in older patients...
- Generation of polymorphic markers tightly linked to the thymus enlargement loci by phenotype-directed representational difference analysisM Toyota
Carcinogenesis Division, National Cancer Center Research Institute, Tokyo 104, 5 1 1, Tsukiji, Chuo Ku, Japan
Mamm Genome 9:735-9. 1998..RDA with a DNA pool based on a quantitative phenotype (phenotype-directed RDA) can thus be considered an efficient approach for direct isolation of polymorphic markers linked to a quantitative trait...
- Advances in thymoma imagingEdith M Marom
Department of Diagnostic Radiology, The University of Texas MD Anderson Cancer Center, Houston, TX 77030 4009, USA
J Thorac Imaging 28:69-80; quiz 81-3. 2013..This review serves as an update of the recent imaging studies on thymoma, which may help in tailoring the approach to the patient with a biopsy-proven or suspected thymoma...
- [Pediatric thymus in thoracic radiologic image: when ship sails and angels wings are uninformatory]I Honauer
Klinik für Kinder und Jugendliche und Institut für Radiologie, Stadtspital Triemli, Zurich
Praxis (Bern 1994) 96:937-9. 2007
- Comparative clinical features and immune responses after extended thymectomy for myasthenia gravis in patients with atrophic versus hyperplastic thymusZhenguang Chen
Department of Thoracic Surgery, The First Affiliated Hospital, and Department of Immunology, Sun Yat Sen University, Guangzhou, People s Republic of China
Ann Thorac Surg 91:212-8. 2011..We therefore assessed the clinical features and immune responses in 175 MG patients who underwent thymectomy between 1990 and 2004...
- Giant mass due to Castleman's disease causing superior vena cava syndromeC Tekinbas
Thoracic Surgery, Karadeniz Technical University Faculty of Medicine, Trabzon, Turkey
Thorac Cardiovasc Surg 56:303-5. 2008..We describe a case of mediastinal Castleman's disease which presented as vena cava superior syndrome; it is the largest mediastinal mass from Castleman's disease reported in the literature...
- Mediastinal tumors and cysts in the pediatric populationCameron D Wright
Division of Thoracic Surgery, Massachusetts General Hospital, 55 Fruit St, Boston, MA, USA
Thorac Surg Clin 19:47-61, vi. 2009..CT imaging facilitates the diagnostic evaluation of mediastinal masses in children. Airway compression is always a concern with large mediastinal tumors in children given their relative softer and smaller airway...
- Unusual thymic hyperplasia mimicking lipomatous tumor in an eight-year-old boy with concomitant pericardial lipomatosis and right facial hemihypertrophyYoo Jin Kim
Department of Radiology, Seoul National University College of Medicine and the Institute of Radiation Medicine, Seoul 110 744, Korea
Korean J Radiol 12:376-81. 2011..To our knowledge, this is the first report on a child with a combination of thymic hyperplasia, pericardial lipomatosis, and right facial hemihypertrophy. The radiologic findings are presented with a brief discussion...
- TGF-beta promotes thyroid epithelial cell hyperplasia and fibrosis in IFN-gamma-deficient NOD.H-2h4 miceShiguang Yu
Department of Veterans Affairs Research Service, Columbia, MO 65212, USA
J Immunol 181:2238-45. 2008..Moreover, transgenic IFN-gamma(-/-)NOD.H-2h4 mice expressing TGF-beta on thyrocytes all develop fibrosis and moderate to severe TEC H/P with accelerated kinetics, directly demonstrating a role for TGF-beta in severe TEC H/P and fibrosis...
- Micronodular thymoma with lymphoid stroma: report of two cases and particular association with thymic lymphoid hyperplasia in one caseMezni Faouzi El
Pathology 38:586-8. 2006
- Rebound thymic enlargement on CT in adultsN Yarom
Department of Oncology, Assaf Harofeh Medical Center, Affiliated to the Sackler School of Medicine Tel Aviv University, Zerifin, Israel
Int J Clin Pract 61:562-8. 2007..This phenomenon should be included in the differential diagnosis of a soft tissue mass appearing in the anterior mediastinum on follow-up CT in adult patients particularly following treatment for malignancy...
- [Filling of the thymic space after chemotherapy for ovarian cancer]A Achir
Service de Chirurgie Thoracique, CHU Ibn Sina, Faculte de Medecine et Pharmacie, Universite Mohammed V, Rabat, Maroc
Rev Mal Respir 27:1101-4. 2010..Enlargement of the thymus following remission of a cancer treated by chemotherapy poses a problem of differential diagnosis between benign thymic hyperplasia and relapse of a mediastinal tumour...
- Computed tomography and magnetic resonance imaging of mediastinal tumorsKoji Takahashi
Department of Radiology, Asahikawa Medical University Hospital, Asahikawa, Japan
J Magn Reson Imaging 32:1325-39. 2010..Some mediastinal cysts may reveal high attenuation similar to solid lesions on CT depending on their contents and MRI can be useful in the differentiation of cystic masses from solid lesions...
- Graves' disease and thymic hyperplasia: the relationship of thymic volume to thyroid functionGeanina Popoveniuc
Division of Endocrinology, Department of Medicine, Georgetown University Hospital, Washington, DC 20010, USA
Thyroid 20:1015-8. 2010..We present two patients with Graves' disease and relatively rapid resolution of thymic enlargement after successful treatment of their hyperthyroidism...
- IL-2 and proteoglycans synergistically induce antigen-specific B-cell responses--a possible immune response in the hyperplastic myasthenia thymusAiko Kikuchi
The Institute of Medical Science, The University of Tokyo, Shirokanedai, Minato ku, Tokyo, Japan
J Neuroimmunol 205:37-43. 2008..In relation to this, we also discuss a new biological feature, an immunomodulator, of conventional biglycan and decorin...
- [Correlation between pathogenesis of myasthenia gravis and thymus mature dendritic cells]Qiang Xia
Department of Neurology, First Affiliated Hospital of Sun Yat sen University, Guangzhou 510080, China
Zhonghua Yi Xue Za Zhi 88:3349-51. 2008..To investigate the correlation between onset of myasthenia gravis (MG) and the changes of the number and distribution of thymus mature dendritic cells (mDC)...
- True thymic hyperplasia versus follicular thymic hyperplasia: a retrospective analysis of 13 casesM Mlika
Department of Pathology, Abderrahmen Mami Hospital, 2080 Ariana, Tunisia
Pathologica 101:175-9. 2009..Thymic enlargement is a rare phenomenon that can be challenging...
- Myocardium and striated muscle damage caused by licit or illicit drugsAnita Réka Tóth
Department of Forensic Medicine, University of Szeged, H 6724, Szeged, Kossuth Lajos sgt 40, P O Box 427, Hungary
Leg Med (Tokyo) 11:S484-7. 2009..The focal myocardium and striated muscle damage could be assessed as the cause of death in one case, but microscopic investigation proved the presence of damage in each...
- Thymic hyperplasia and Graves disease: management of anterior mediastinal masses in patients with Graves diseaseAtor Yacoub
Department of Medicine, Dwight David Eisenhower Army Medical Center, 300 East Hospital Road, Fort Gordon, GA 30905 5650, USA
Endocr Pract 15:534-9. 2009..To describe a case of an anterior mediastinal mass (AMM) in a patient with Graves disease...
- Clinical features, diagnostic approach, and therapeutic outcome in myasthenia gravis patients with thymectomyAli Yaghoobi Notash
Department of Surgery, Medical Sciences University of Tehran, Tehran, Iran
Acta Neurol Taiwan 18:21-5. 2009..The aim of this study was to determine the clinical features, diagnostic approach, and therapeutic outcome in patients with MG who underwent thymectomy...
- Regulatory and pathogenic mechanisms in human autoimmune myasthenia gravisRozen Le Panse
UMR CNRS UPS 8162, avenue de la resistance, Le Plessis Robinson 92350, France
Ann N Y Acad Sci 1132:135-42. 2008..Presence of AChR in the thymus and upregulation of its expression by the pro-inflammatory environment contribute to the triggering and maintenance of the anti-AChR autoimmune response...
- Preoperative steroid therapy stabilizes postoperative respiratory conditions in myasthenia gravisHiroyuki Kaneda
Department of Thoracic and Cardiovascular Surgery, Kansai Medical University Hirakata Hospital, 2 3 1 Shinmachi, Hirakata, Osaka, 573 1191, Japan
Gen Thorac Cardiovasc Surg 56:114-8. 2008..We reviewed our experience from 1990 to 2005 to examine whether control of myasthenia gravis (MG) with steroid therapy before surgery could stabilize postoperative respiratory conditions, compared with the nonsteroid treatment...
- Thyrotoxic myopathy mimicking myasthenic syndrome associated with thymic hyperplasiaEmiko Tsuda
Department of Neurology, Sapporo Medical University School of Medicine
Intern Med 47:445-7. 2008..This case highlights the fact that careful investigations are needed to differentiate MG-like symptoms from genuine MG in cases of hyperthyroidism with thymic lesions...
- Nodular thymic lymphoid follicular hyperplasia mimicking thymomaMotoo Nakagawa
Department of Radiology, Nagoya City University Graduate School of Medical Sciences, Nagoya 467 8601, Japan
Clin Imaging 32:54-7. 2008..The CT and MRI findings of the nodule were similar to those of thymoma, and it was difficult to differentiate the lesion from thymoma...
- [Thymus hyperplasia in a patient with antiphospholipid syndrome]Adelino Carragoso
Serviço de Medicina Interna 2, Hospital de São Teotónio, E P E Viseu, Portugal
Acta Reumatol Port 34:251-255. 2009..Thymoma and thymus hyperplasia have been associated with various autoimmune disorders, mainly myasthenia gravis...
- A case report of large thymic hyperplasia associated with hyperthyroidismKoji Takami
Department of Surgery, National Hospital Organization Osaka National Hospital, Osaka, Japan
Ann Thorac Cardiovasc Surg 15:404-7. 2009..The potential response to antithyroid therapy must be considered before recommending resection of thymic tumors diagnosed as hyperthyroidism-related thymic hyperplasia...
- Ectopic and high CXCL13 chemokine expression in myasthenia gravis with thymic lymphoid hyperplasiaYu Ming Shiao
Faculty of Life Sciences, National Yang Ming University, Taipei, Taiwan
J Neuroimmunol 221:101-6. 2010..Our data indicated that serum CXCL13 can be used as an index of disease severity and ectopic thymic expression of CXCL13 might be associated with aberrant cell trafficking to the thymus of MG...
- The distribution of parenchyma, follicles, and lymphocyte subsets in thymus of patients with myasthenia gravis, with special reference to remission after thymectomyTakeshi Mori
Department of Thoracic Surgery, Graduate School of Medical Sciences, Kumamoto University, Kumamoto, Japan
J Thorac Cardiovasc Surg 133:364-8. 2007..We sought to examine the distribution of parenchyma, follicles, and lymphocyte subsets in the thymus of patients with myasthenia gravis and to identify determinants of remission after thymectomy...
- Cyclin D2 overexpression in transgenic mice induces thymic and epidermal hyperplasia whereas cyclin D3 expression results only in epidermal hyperplasiaM L Rodriguez-Puebla
University of Texas M D Anderson Cancer Center, Science Park Research Division, Smithville, Texas 78957, USA
Am J Pathol 157:1039-50. 2000..However, overexpression of each D-type cyclin produces a distinct phenotype in thymic epithelial cells...
- Thymic epithelial hyperplasia with nodular sclerosis Hodgkin's diseaseWataru Ito
Second Department of Medicine, Okayama University Medical School, 2 5 1 Shikata cho, Okayama 700 8558, Japan
Leuk Lymphoma 43:2229-31. 2002..Our findings suggest that thymic hyperplasia might be directly involved in the pathology of at least some cases of Hodgkin's disease...
- Elevated F-18 FDG uptake in the thymus in Graves' diseaseYen Kung Chen
Department of Nuclear Medicine, Shin Kong Wu Ho Su Memorial Hospital, Taipei, Taiwan
Clin Nucl Med 28:142-3. 2003
- Video-assisted thoracoscopic extended thymectomy and extended transsternal thymectomy (T-3b) in non-thymomatous myasthenia gravis patients: remission after 6 years of follow-upRenato Mantegazza
Immunology and Muscular Pathology Unit, Department of Neuromuscular Diseases, Istituto Nazionale Neurologico Carlo Besta Via Celoria 11, 20133 Milan, Italy
J Neurol Sci 212:31-6. 2003....
- Abnormalities of Th1 function in non-IgE food allergy, celiac disease, and ileal lymphonodular hyperplasia: a new relationship?Joseph A Bellanti
Department of Pediatrics and the International Center for Interdisciplinary Studies of Immunology, Georgetown University Medical Center, Washington, DC 20007, USA
Ann Allergy Asthma Immunol 90:84-9. 2003..Our more recent studies have demonstrated Th1/Th2 cytokine profiles associated with non-IgE FA and other clinical entities...
- Massive benign thymic hyperplasia in a six-month-old girl: case reportKenneth W Gow
Department of Surgery, Children s Healthcare of Atlanta at Egleston and Emory University, Atlanta, Georgia, USA
Am Surg 69:717-9. 2003..The child has remained tumor free for a year since surgery. The rare nature of this tumor leads us to report this case and review the current literature...
- [Head retraction reflex-like movements with severe bulbar symptoms in a patient with stiff-person syndrome]Masahiko Atsumi
Department of Neurology, Baba Memorial Hospital
Rinsho Shinkeigaku 43:322-6. 2003..This suggests that head retraction reflex-like movements of this patient reflected the attenuation of inhibitory potentials from the brainstem...
- Lack of effect of soy isoflavone on thyroid hyperplasia in rats receiving an iodine-deficient dietH Y Son
Division of Pathology, National Institute of Health Sciences, Setagaya Ku, Tokyo 158 8501, Japan
Jpn J Cancer Res 92:103-8. 2001..These results thus suggest that isoflavones may not be involved in the mechanisms underlying the synergistic goitrogenic effect of soybean with iodine deficiency...
- Myasthenia gravis in pediatric and elderly patientsWei Liu
Department of Thoracic Surgery, First Hospital, Jilin University, Changchun, China
Chin Med J (Engl) 116:1578-81. 2003..To determine whether the clinical and pathologic characteristics and prognoses of myasthenia gravis (MG) patients below 15 years differ from those patients over 50 years after thymectomy...
- Response of thymectomy: clinical and pathological characteristics among seronegative and seropositive myasthenia gravis patientsG R Guillermo
Departament of Neurology, Instituto Nacional de Ciencias Medicas y Nutricion Salvador Zubiran, Mexico City, Mexico
Acta Neurol Scand 109:217-21. 2004..We analyzed the associated diseases, thymus histology, and the severity of symptoms between the two groups. MATERIAL AND METHODS - DESIGN: Descriptive, comparative...
- [Factors which may influence the surgical outcome in myasthenia gravis]L Andriescu
Facultatea de MedicinÄƒ Clinica a III-a Chirurgie,
Rev Med Chir Soc Med Nat Iasi 105:769-72. 2001....
- Cytologic diagnosis of true thymic hyperplasia by combined radiologic imaging and aspiration cytology: a case report including flow cytometric analysisH D Hoerl
Section of Cytology, Department of Pathology, University of Wisconsin Medical School, Madison, Wisconsin, USA
Diagn Cytopathol 23:417-21. 2000..We therefore present a case of thymic hyperplasia in a 5-mo-old child diagnosed by combined radiologic and cytologic parameters, including flow cytometric analysis...
- Increased metabolic activity in the thymus gland studied with 18F-FDG PET: age dependency and frequency after chemotherapyI Brink
Division of Nuclear Medicine and Department of Diagnostic Radiology, School of Medicine, Albert-Ludwigs University of Freiburg, Freiburg, Germany
J Nucl Med 42:591-5. 2001..to evaluate the age dependency of 18F-FDG uptake in the thymus and the frequency of PET confirmation of thymus hyperplasia after chemotherapy in cancer patients...
- NKT-associated markers and perforin in hyperplastic thymuses from patients with Myasthenia gravisY Nagane
Department of Neurology, Iwate Medical University, Uchimaru 19-1, Morioka 020-8505, Japan
Muscle Nerve 24:1359-64. 2001....
- Thymic enlargement and FDG uptake in three patients: CT and FDG positron emission tomography correlated with pathologyConrad Wittram
Department of Radiology, Massachusetts General Hospital and Harvard University, 55 Fruit Street, Boston, MA 02114, USA
AJR Am J Roentgenol 180:519-22. 2003..Subsequent biopsy or resection showed normal thymic tissue...
- Linkage of HLA to myasthenia gravis and genetic heterogeneity depending on anti-titin antibodiesM Giraud
INSERM U25, , Paris, France
Neurology 57:1555-60. 2001BACKGROUND: MG is an autoimmune disease of the neuromuscular junction. MG with thymus hyperplasia has been associated with, but not genetically linked to, the HLA-DR3 haplotype...
- [Thymus hyperplasia in patients with malignant testicular tumors]U Ruther
Abteilung für Allgemeine Innere Medizin, Katharinen Hospital, Stuttgart
Med Klin (Munich) 85:72-7. 1990..Thus it may be impossible to distinguish benign thymus hyperplasia from tumor-infiltration on the basis of ct information alone and sternotomy may be required...
- Mucosa-associated lymphoid tissue of the thymus hyperplasia vs lymphomaMarie Parrens
Department of Pathology and Molecular Biology, University of Bordeaux 2, Pessac, France
Am J Clin Pathol 117:51-6. 2002..Appropriate sampling, cytokeratin staining, and molecular analyses may help to identify early MALT-type lymphoma developing in the setting of thymic lymphofollicular hyperplasia...
- CDS1 and promoter single nucleotide polymorphisms of the CTLA-4 gene in human myasthenia gravisX B Wang
Immunological Research Unit, Center for Molecular Medicine and Department of Medicine, Karolinska Institutet, Stockholm, Sweden
Genes Immun 3:46-9. 2002..There was a strong linkage between the 86bp allele in the 3'-UTR and the A(+49) allele in CDS1. Our results suggest that the SNP at position +49 in CDS1 might be associated with the manifestations of MG...
- Lymphoma, thyrotoxicosis and thymic hyperplasiaM V C De Silva
Ceylon Med J 47:40. 2002
- Difficult diagnostic and therapeutic cases: CASE 1. true thymic hyperplasia in a patient treated for T-cell lymphomaStefano Ascani
Unit of Hematopathology, Institute of Hematology and Clinical Oncology L and A Seràgnoli, Bologna University, Bologna, Italy
J Clin Oncol 22:953-4. 2004
- Expression of the onconeural CV2/CRMP5 antigen in thymus and thymomaJean Philippe Camdessanche
Equipe d Accueil 3062, Université Jean Monnet, Saint Etienne, France
J Neuroimmunol 174:168-73. 2006..Thus, the normal CRMP5 is probably not expressed by tumorous epithelial cells. These results indicate that the mechanisms leading to CRMP5 autoimmunization are different in SCLC and thymoma...
- Tuberculosis Diagnostics: Towards More Precise Testing in ChildrenJoseph Bellanti; Fiscal Year: 2008..unreadable] [unreadable] [unreadable]..