Genomes and Genes
Summary: Anemia due to decreased life span of erythrocytes.
Publications252 found, 100 shown here
- Both hemolytic anemia and malaria parasite-specific factors increase susceptibility to Nontyphoidal Salmonella enterica serovar typhimurium infection in miceChristelle M Roux
Department of Medical Microbiology and Immunology, University of California at Davis, Davis, California 95616, USA
Infect Immun 78:1520-7. 2010..early work suggests that an increased risk for developing systemic NTS infection during malaria is caused by hemolytic anemia, which leads to reduced macrophage microbicidal activity...
- Primaquine-induced hemolytic anemia: susceptibility of normal versus glutathione-depleted rat erythrocytes to 5-hydroxyprimaquineZachary S Bowman
Department of Pharmacology, Medical University of South Carolina, 171 Ashley Avenue, Charleston, SC 29425, USA
J Pharmacol Exp Ther 309:79-85. 2004..Methemoglobinemia and hemolytic anemia, however, are dose-limiting side effects of primaquine therapy...
- Dapsone-induced hemolytic anemia in lung allograft recipientsPriyumvada M Naik
Division of Pulmonary, Allergy, and Critical Care Medicine, Emory University School of Medicine, Atlanta, Georgia, USA
J Heart Lung Transplant 27:1198-202. 2008..We report a high prevalence of hemolytic anemia (HA) associated with dapsone use in LT patients when compared with other patients described in the literature ..
- Relationship between anti-ABO antibody production and hemolytic anemia after minor ABO-mismatched living-donor lobar lung transplantationY Sano
Department of Cancer and Thoracic Surgery, Okayama University Graduate School of Medicine and Dentistry, Okayama, Japan
Transplant Proc 37:1371-2. 2005..5%) after transplantation, but only one of them showed evidence of severe hemolytic anemia due to donor-derived antibodies. The titer of that patient's Abs was higher than that of the other recipients...
- Cross-reactivity of cefotetan and ceftriaxone antibodies, associated with hemolytic anemia, with other: cephalosporins and penicillinPatricia A Arndt
American Red Cross Blood Services, Southern California Region, Los Angeles 90006, USA
Am J Clin Pathol 118:256-62. 2002..There was very little cross-reactivity between cefotetan antibodies and the drugs tested in the present study. We have no data to determine whether the in vitro data relate to in vivo reactivity...
- Hemolytic anemia after operation for aortic dissection using teflon felt stripsYuki Nakamura
Department of Cardiovascular Surgery, National Cardiovascular Center, Osaka, Japan
Ann Thorac Surg 85:1784-7. 2008We report three cases of hemolytic anemia caused by anastomotic stenosis after surgical treatment for aortic dissection in which internal and external Teflon (DuPont, Wilmington, DE) felt strips were used for reinforcement of the aortic ..
- A surgical case for hemolytic anemia after ascending and total arch replacementYasushige Shingu
The Division of Thoracic Surgery, Department of Internal Medicine, Asahikawa City Hospital, Asahikawa, Japan
Ann Thorac Cardiovasc Surg 11:416-8. 2005A 61-year-old man presented with consistent hemolytic anemia 15 months after ascending and total arch replacement for DeBakey I type acute aortic dissection...
- Association of naphthalene with acute hemolytic anemiaK Santucci
Department of Pediatrics and Emergency Medicine, Rhode Island Hospital Hasbro Children s Hospital, Providence, USA
Acad Emerg Med 7:42-7. 2000..To survey the rationale for naphthalene-containing moth repellent (mothball) use in the study population and to compare this with that of a more diverse population...
- Successful treatment of thrombocytopenia and hemolytic anemia with IvIG in a patient with lupus-like syndrome after mismatched related PBSCTA Hartert
Clinic of Bone Marrow Transplantation and Haematology/Oncology, Idar-Oberstein Germany
Bone Marrow Transplant 27:337-40. 2001..The majority of cases reported on immune hemolytic anemia have been of alloimmune origin due to ABO red blood cell antigen incompatibilities between donor and ..
- Hemolytic anemia after methylene blue therapy for aniline-induced methemoglobinemiaYao Pan Liao
Emergency Department, Taichung Veterans General Hospital, Taiwan
Vet Hum Toxicol 44:19-21. 2002..patient who suffered from aniline-induced methemoglobinemia with initial good response Heinz body but hemolytic anemia appeared later 3 d after methylene blue therapy. G6PD deficiency was identified...
- Primaquine-induced hemolytic anemia: effect of 6-methoxy-8-hydroxylaminoquinoline on rat erythrocyte sulfhydryl status, membrane lipids, cytoskeletal proteins, and morphologyLaura J C Bolchoz
Department of Pharmacology, Medical University of South Carolina, Charleston 29425, USA
J Pharmacol Exp Ther 303:141-8. 2002....
- Hemolytic anemia and benign pelvic tumors. A case reportC L Buchwalter
Department of Obstetrics and Gynecology, Aultman Hospital, 2600 Sixth Street, Canton, OH 44710, USA
J Reprod Med 46:401-4. 2001BACKGROUND: Hemolytic anemia associated with benign pelvic neoplasms is very rare. Sixteen cases have been reported in the English-language literature. CASE: A 27-year-old woman complained of dizziness, fatigue and headache...
- Codon 104(-G), a dominant beta0-thalassemia-like phenotype in a German Caucasian family is associated with mild chronic hemolytic anemia but influenced in severity by co-inherited genetic factorsGeorgia Lahr
Haematologica 92:1264-5. 2007..A co-inherited a gene triplication, long-term transfusion therapy, and ineffective erythropoiesis were confounding factors...
- Biomarkers of polycyclic aromatic hydrocarbon (PAH)-associated hemolytic anemia in oiled wildlifeGera Troisi
Environmental Monitoring Unit, School of Engineering and Design, Brunel University, Kingston Lane, Uxbridge, Middlesex UB8 3PH, UK
Environ Res 105:324-9. 2007..PAHs) in crude oil cause a range of adverse effects in oiled seabirds, one of the most common being hemolytic anemia via oxidative attack of erythrocytes by PAH metabolites resulting in hemoglobin leakage and formation of ..
- Cardiac hypertrophy in anion exchanger 1-null mutant mice with severe hemolytic anemiaBernardo V Alvarez
Dept of Physiology, CIHR Membrane Protein Research Group, Univ of Alberta, Edmonton, Alberta, Canada
Am J Physiol Heart Circ Physiol 292:H1301-12. 2007..to assess the role of AE1 in heart function through study of AE1-null (AE1(-/-)) mice, which manifest severe hemolytic anemia resulting from erythrocyte fragility...
- Hemolytic anemia presenting with idiopathic intracranial hypertensionEuthymia Vargiami
First Department of Pediatrics, Aristotle University of Thessaloniki, Greece
Pediatr Neurol 38:53-4. 2008We report on an 8-year-old girl with hemolytic anemia because of infection with parvovirus B19 and increased intracranial pressure. She presented acutely with headache, vomiting, and mild scleral and mucosal icterus...
- Microangiopathic hemolytic anemia in a patient with recurrent anal cancer and liver metastasisKun Yun Yeh
Division of Hemato Oncology, Department of Internal Medicine, Chang Gung Memorial Hospital, Taipei
Chang Gung Med J 25:706-10. 2002Microangiopathic hemolytic anemia (MAHA) is a late but fatal complication in advanced cancers (cancer-associated). It may also appear in complete remission after chemotherapy (chemotherapy-related)...
- Acquired hemolytic anemiaAsha Shah
BSES MG Hospital and Holy Family Hospital, 6 32, Hari Kripa, S V Road, Santacruz W, Mumbai 400 054, India
Indian J Med Sci 58:533-6. 2004
- [Hemolytic anemia disclosing Wilson's disease. Report of 2 cases]M Michel
Service de Medecine Interne, Hopital Henri Mondor, 51, Avenue du Marechal de Lattre de Tassigny, 94010 Creteil, France
Rev Med Interne 22:280-3. 2001The liver and central nervous system are the usual targets of Wilson's disease, an inherited disorder of copper metabolism. Severe hemolytic anemia is an unusual complication of Wilson's disease.
- Hemolytic anemia-associated pulmonary hypertension of sickle cell disease and the nitric oxide/arginine pathwayMaria L Jison
Am J Respir Crit Care Med 168:3-4. 2003
- Primaquine-induced hemolytic anemia: role of splenic macrophages in the fate of 5-hydroxyprimaquine-treated rat erythrocytesZachary S Bowman
Department of Cell and Molecular Pharmacology, Medical University of South Carolina, 173 Ashley Ave, Charleston, SC 29425, USA
J Pharmacol Exp Ther 315:980-6. 2005Primaquine-induced hemolytic anemia is known to result from premature sequestration of damaged (but intact) erythrocytes by the spleen...
- Human adenylate kinase deficiency associated with hemolytic anemia. A single base substitution affecting solubility and catalytic activity of the cytosolic adenylate kinaseS Matsuura
Department of Biochemistry, Yamaguchi University School of Medicine, Ube, Japan
J Biol Chem 264:10148-55. 1989Adenylate kinase deficiency in the erythrocyte is a rare genetic disorder associated with hemolytic anemia. To determine the molecular basis of this disorder, we first cloned the normal gene encoding human cytosolic adenylate kinase (AK1) ..
- Study of the molecular defects in glucose phosphate isomerase-deficient patients affected by chronic hemolytic anemiaL Baronciani
Division di Ematologia, I R C C S Ospedale Maggiore, Milano, Italy
Blood 88:2306-10. 1996We have studied four unrelated Italian patients with chronic hemolytic anemia associated with glucose phosphate isomerase (GPI) deficiency...
- Adoptive immunotherapy to increase the level of donor hematopoietic chimerism after nonmyeloablative marrow transplantation for severe canine hereditary hemolytic anemiaAlessandra Takatu
Fred Hutchinson Cancer Research Center, Seattle, Washington 98109 1024, USA
Biol Blood Marrow Transplant 9:674-82. 2003Severe hemolytic anemia in Basenji dogs secondary to pyruvate kinase deficiency can be corrected by allogeneic hematopoietic cell transplantation (HCT) from littermates with normal hematopoiesis after conventional myeloablative or ..
- Severe hemolytic anemia and excessive leukocytosis masking mycoplasma pneumoniaF Daxböck
Department for Internal Medicine I, Division of Infectious Diseases and Chemotherapy, University Hospital of Vienna, Wahringer Gurtel 18 20, 1090 Wien, Austria
Ann Hematol 80:180-2. 2001..Nevertheless, severe hemolysis is exceptional. We report a case of life-threatening hemolytic anemia caused by M. pneumoniae...
- Hemolytic anemia after fludarabine therapy for chronic lymphocytic leukemiaR B Weiss
Lombardi Cancer Center, Georgetown University Medical Center, Washington, DC, USA
J Clin Oncol 16:1885-9. 1998A report of the clinical features, treatment, and outcome of patients who developed hemolytic anemia (HA) temporally associated with fludarabine (Fludara; Berlex Laboratories, Richmond, CA) therapy for chronic lymphocytic leukemia (CLL).
- Cyclophosphamide exerts no beneficial effect over prednisone alone in the initial treatment of acute immune-mediated hemolytic anemia in dogs: a randomized controlled clinical trialNicola Mason
Department of Clinical Studies, School of Veterinary Medicine, University of Pennsylvania, Philadelphia, PA 19104 6010, USA
J Vet Intern Med 17:206-12. 2003..Cyclophosphamide is commonly used with prednisone in the initial treatment of severe idiopathic immune-mediated hemolytic anemia (IMHA) in dogs because retrospective reports suggest its benefit...
- A phosphoglycerate kinase mutant (PGK Herlev; D285V) in a Danish patient with isolated chronic hemolytic anemia: mechanism of mutation and structure-function relationshipsC Valentin
Unité INSERM U 474, Hopital Henri Mondor, Creteil, France
Hum Mutat 12:280-7. 1998..Such an approach can be generalized to any other protein that has been crystallized and for which x-ray diffraction data are available in a species closely related to man...
- Carboxyhemoglobin elevation due to hemolytic anemiaNeil B Hampson
Center for Hyperbaric Medicine, Virginia Mason Medical Center, Seattle, Washington, USA
J Emerg Med 33:17-9. 2007A critically ill man with drug-induced hemolytic anemia and hepatic failure was hospitalized at a private academic medical center in Seattle, Washington...
- Molecular defect of a phosphoglycerate kinase variant (PGK-Matsue) associated with hemolytic anemia: Leu----Pro substitution caused by T/A----C/G transition in exon 3M Maeda
Department of Biochemical Genetics, Beckman Research Institute of the City of Hope, Duarte, CA 91010
Blood 77:1348-52. 1991..kinase variant (PGK-Matsue) associated with severe enzyme deficiency, congenital nonspherocytic hemolytic anemia, and mental disorders...
- Use of cultured lymphoblastoid cells for the study of abnormal enzymes: molecular abnormality of a phosphoglycerate kinase variant associated with hemolytic anemiaH Fujii
Proc Natl Acad Sci U S A 78:2587-90. 1981..7.2.3; X chromosome-linked) variant, PGKase-Tokyo, is associated with enzyme deficiency, nonspherocytic hemolytic anemia, and neurological disturbances...
- Cefotetan-induced hemolytic anemia causing severe hypophosphatemiaS Mohammed
Division of Gastroenterology, Brown University, School of Medicine, Providence, Rhode Island
Am J Hematol 46:369-70. 1994..A case of severe hypophosphatemia due to accelerated erythropoiesis in response to Cefotetan-induced hemolytic anemia is described...
- Analysis of pyruvate kinase-deficiency mutations that produce nonspherocytic hemolytic anemiaL Baronciani
Department of Molecular and Experimental Medicine, Scripps Research Institute, La Jolla, CA 92037
Proc Natl Acad Sci U S A 90:4324-7. 1993..In normal subjects, five differences from the published cDNA sequence were documented...
- Hemolytic anemiaGurpreet Dhaliwal
San Francisco Veterans Affairs Medical Center University of California San Francisco School of Medicine, San Francisco, California 94121, USA
Am Fam Physician 69:2599-606. 2004..The etiologies of hemolysis often are categorized as acquired or hereditary. Common acquired causes of hemolytic anemia are autoimmunity, microangiopathy, and infection...
- Cutaneous anthrax associated with microangiopathic hemolytic anemia and coagulopathy in a 7-month-old infantAbigail Freedman
Department of Pediatrics, New York University Medical Center, 550 First Ave, New York, NY 10016, USA
JAMA 287:869-74. 2002..The infant displayed severe microangiopathic hemolytic anemia with renal involvement, coagulopathy, and hyponatremia...
- Hemolytic anemia due to warm autoantibodiesCharles H Packman
University of North Carolina School of Medicine, Chapel Hill, North Carolina, United States
Blood Rev 22:17-31. 2008The diagnosis of autoimmune hemolytic anemia (AHA) requires evidence of shortened red blood cell (RBC) survival mediated by autoantibodies directed against autologous RBCs...
- Concurrent infections with vector-borne pathogens associated with fatal hemolytic anemia in a cattle herd in SwitzerlandRegina Hofmann-Lehmann
Clinical Laboratory, University of Zurich, Switzerland
J Clin Microbiol 42:3775-80. 2004..We concluded that A. marginale was the major cause of the hemolytic anemia, while coinfections with other agents exacerbated the disease...
- T-antigen activation for prediction of pneumococcus-induced hemolytic uremic syndrome and hemolytic anemiaDaniel Tsung Ning Huang
Department of Pediatrics, Mackay Memorial Hospital, Taipei, Taiwan
Pediatr Infect Dis J 25:608-10. 2006..the most severe complications of invasive pneumococcal infection are hemolytic uremic syndrome (P-HUS) and hemolytic anemia (P-HA), which occur when the Thomsen-Freidenreich antigen (TA) is exposed on erythrocytes, platelets and ..
- Primaquine-induced hemolytic anemia: formation and hemotoxicity of the arylhydroxylamine metabolite 6-methoxy-8-hydroxylaminoquinolineL J Bolchoz
Department of Pharmacology, Medical University of South Carolina, Charleston, South Carolina 29425, USA
J Pharmacol Exp Ther 297:509-15. 2001..However, methemoglobinemia and hemolytic anemia are dose-limiting side effects of primaquine therapy that limit its efficacy...
- The role of oxidative stress in hemolytic anemiaEitan Fibach
Department of Hematology, Hadassah Hebrew University Medical Center, Ein Kerem, Jerusalem, Israel
Curr Mol Med 8:609-19. 2008..In this review we describe the role of oxidative stress and the potential therapeutic potential of anti-oxidants in various hemolytic anemias...
- Normoblastosis, a murine model for ankyrin-deficient hemolytic anemia, is caused by a hypomorphic mutation in the erythroid ankyrin gene Ank1Connie S Birkenmeier
The Jackson Laboratory, Bar Harbor, ME 04609, USA
Hematol J 4:445-9. 2003....
- Prognostic factors for mortality and thromboembolism in canine immune-mediated hemolytic anemia: a retrospective study of 72 dogsAnthony P Carr
Small Animal Clinical Sciences, Western College of Veterinary Medicine, Saskatoon, SK, Canada
J Vet Intern Med 16:504-9. 2002Medical records of 72 dogs diagnosed with immune-mediated hemolytic anemia (IMHA) were reviewed to find risk factors for the disease, for mortality, and for thromboembolism...
- Combined deletion of mouse dematin-headpiece and beta-adducin exerts a novel effect on the spectrin-actin junctions leading to erythrocyte fragility and hemolytic anemiaHuiqing Chen
Department of Pharmacology Cancer Center, University of Illinois College of Medicine, Chicago, Illinois 60612, USA
J Biol Chem 282:4124-35. 2007..Peripheral blood analysis shows evidence of severe hemolytic anemia with reduced number of erythrocytes/hematocrit/hemoglobin and an approximately 12-fold increase in the number ..
- Rituximab for the treatment of refractory autoimmune hemolytic anemia in childrenMarco Zecca
Oncoematologia Pediatrica, IRCCS Policlinico San Matteo, Pavia, Italy
Blood 101:3857-61. 2003Autoimmune hemolytic anemia (AIHA) in children is sometimes characterized by a severe course, requiring prolonged administration of immunosuppressive therapy...
- Protein-4.2 association with band 3 (AE1, SLCA4) in Xenopus oocytes: effects of three natural protein-4.2 mutations associated with hemolytic anemiaAshley M Toye
Department of Biochemistry, School of Medical Sciences, University of Bristol, BS8 1TD, United Kingdom
Blood 105:4088-95. 2005..2 based on the structure of the sequence-related protein transglutaminase. Using our results in oocytes and this homology model we speculate how these mutations affect protein 4.2 and result in hereditary spherocytosis...
- The prognostic significance of a positive direct antiglobulin test in chronic lymphocytic leukemia: a beneficial effect of the combination of fludarabine and cyclophosphamide on the incidence of hemolytic anemiaClaire Dearden
Royal Marsden National Health Service NHS Foundation Trust and Institute of Cancer Research, Sutton, Surrey, UK
Blood 111:1820-6. 2008Autoimmune hemolytic anemia (AHA) is a common complication in chronic lymphocytic leukemia (CLL)...
- Heme induces endothelial tissue factor expression: potential role in hemostatic activation in patients with hemolytic anemiaB N Y Setty
Marian Anderson Comprehensive Sickle Cell Anemia Care and Research Center, Department of Pediatrics, Division of Research Hematology, Jefferson Medical College, Thomas Jefferson University, Philadelphia, PA 19107, USA
J Thromb Haemost 6:2202-9. 2008..the possibility that heme, an inflammatory mediator and a product of intravascular hemolysis in patients with hemolytic anemia including sickle cell disease, could modulate hemostasis by an effect on endothelial tissue factor (TF) ..
- Future development of lymphoproliferative disorders in patients with autoimmune hemolytic anemiaS Sallah
Division of Hematology Oncology, University of Tennessee Health Science Center, Memphis, Tennessee 38103, USA
Clin Cancer Res 7:791-4. 2001The association between autoimmune hemolytic anemia (AIHA) and subsequent appearance of lymphoproliferative disorders (LPDs) has not been properly addressed in large-scale studies...
- Features associated with, and the impact of, hemolytic anemia in patients with systemic lupus erythematosus: LX, results from a multiethnic cohortSergio Durán
University of Alabama at Birmingham, AL, USA
Arthritis Rheum 59:1332-40. 2008To examine the clinical and genetic correlates of hemolytic anemia and its impact on damage accrual and mortality in systemic lupus erythematosus (SLE) patients.
- Role of oxidant stress in lawsone-induced hemolytic anemiaDavid C McMillan
Department of Pharmacology, Medical University of South Carolina, Charleston, South Carolina 29425, USA
Toxicol Sci 82:647-55. 2004..Application of henna can induce a severe hemolytic anemia, and lawsone is thought to be the causative agent...
- GLUT1 mutations are a cause of paroxysmal exertion-induced dyskinesias and induce hemolytic anemia by a cation leakYvonne G Weber
Neurologische Klinik and Institut für Anatomie und Zellbiologie, Universitat Ulm, Ulm, Germany
J Clin Invest 118:2157-68. 2008..Their PED was accompanied by epilepsy, mild developmental delay, reduced CSF glucose levels, hemolytic anemia with echinocytosis, and altered erythrocyte ion concentrations...
- [Severe falciparum malaria with prolonged hemolytic anemia after successful treatment with intravenous artesunate]Ichiro Itoda
Department of Infectious Diseases, Tokyo Women s Medical University
Kansenshogaku Zasshi 76:600-3. 2002..She developed hemolytic anemia and jaundice on day 11 and blood transfusion was required...
- Gamma-glutamylcysteine synthetase deficiency and hemolytic anemiaE Beutler
Department of Molecular and Experimental Medicine, Research Institute of Scripps Clinic, La Jolla, CA 92037
Blood 75:271-3. 1990..enzyme has been found only once previously in humans: it was associated with spinocerebellar degeneration and hemolytic anemia. We report the case of a woman, daughter of fifth cousins, who was gamma-glutamylcysteine-synthetase-..
- Cefotetan-induced hemolytic anemia after perioperative prophylaxisMonte E Martin
Division of Hematology and Medical Oncology, University of Louisville, J G Brown Cancer Center, Kentucky 40202, USA
Am J Hematol 81:186-8. 2006Cephalosporin-induced hemolytic anemia is an acquired form of hemolytic anemia caused by interaction of drug with the immune system. Drug adsorption, drug-dependent antibody, and autoimmune induction are the three mechanisms of hemolysis...
- Hemolytic anemia, thrombosis, and infarction in male and female F344 rats following gavage exposure to 2-butoxyethanolB I Ghanayem
National Institutes of Health, National Institute of Environmental Health Sciences, Research Triangle Park, North Carolina 27709, USA
Exp Toxicol Pathol 53:97-105. 2001..BE causes severe hemolytic anemia in male and female rats and mice...
- Downeast anemia (dea), a new mouse model of severe nonspherocytic hemolytic anemia caused by hexokinase (HK(1)) deficiencyL L Peters
The Jackson Laboratory, Bar Harbor, Maine 04609, USA
Blood Cells Mol Dis 27:850-60. 2001A new spontaneous mutation in the A/J inbred mouse strain, downeast anemia (dea), causes severe hemolytic anemia with extensive tissue iron deposition and marked reticulocytosis. The anemia is present at birth and persists throughout life...
- Point mutations in the L-type pyruvate kinase gene of two children with hemolytic anemia caused by pyruvate kinase deficiencyB Neubauer
Universitäts Kinderklinik, Gottingen, Germany
Blood 77:1871-5. 1991..In contrast to PK Linz, this amino acid lies outside the deduced substrate binding site and kinetic parameters of PK Beirut are close to normal. Both enzyme variants show a markedly reduced specific activity and thermolability...
- Drug-induced immune hemolytic anemiaAbdulgabar Salama
Charite Universitatsmedizin Berlin, Institut fur Transfusionsmedizin, Augustenburger Platz 1, D 13353 Berlin, Germany
Expert Opin Drug Saf 8:73-9. 2009Drug-induced immune hemolytic anemia is frequently associated with serious complications.
- Diverse point mutations in the human glucose-6-phosphate dehydrogenase gene cause enzyme deficiency and mild or severe hemolytic anemiaT J Vulliamy
Department of Haematology, Royal Postgraduate Medical School, London, Great Britain
Proc Natl Acad Sci U S A 85:5171-5. 1988..In G6PD Santiago, a de novo mutation (glycine----arginine) is associated with severe chronic hemolytic anemia. The mutations observed show a striking predominance of C----T transitions, with CG doublets involved in four ..
- A missense mutation in the heavy subunit of gamma-glutamylcysteine synthetase gene causes hemolytic anemiaE Ristoff
Department of Pediatrics, Karolinska Institute, Huddinge University Hospital, Huddinge, Sweden
Blood 95:2193-6. 2000..Hereditary deficiency of GCS has been reported in 6 patients with hemolytic anemia and low erythrocyte levels of glutathione and gamma-glutamylcysteine...
- Evaluating treatment of hepatitis C for hemolytic anemia managementSwati DebRoy
Department of Mathematics, University of Florida, Gainesville, FL, USA
Math Biosci 225:141-55. 2010..The most common and life threatening among them is hemolytic anemia, necessitating dose reduction or therapy cessation...
- Metformin-induced hemolytic anemia in a patient with glucose-6- phosphate dehydrogenase deficiencyAntopolsky Meir
Diabetes Care 26:956-7. 2003
- Missense mutations in the human glutathione synthetase gene result in severe metabolic acidosis, 5-oxoprolinuria, hemolytic anemia and neurological dysfunctionN Dahl
Department of Clinical Genetics, Uppsala University Children s Hospital, Sweden
Hum Mol Genet 6:1147-52. 1997..Our results suggest that complete loss of function of both GS alleles is probably lethal. It is postulated that missense mutations will account for the phenotype in the majority of patients with severe GS deficiency...
- Microangiopathic hemolytic anemia (MAHA) as paraneoplastic syndrome in metastasized signet ring cell carcinomas: case reports and review of the literatureH T Arkenau
Klinik fur Innere Medizin, Klinikum Bremen Ost, Bremen, Germany
Z Gastroenterol 43:719-22. 2005We report on two spontaneous cases of microangiopathic hemolytic anemia (MAHA) as first manifestation due to metastasized signet ring carcinoma, one of gastric and one of unknown origin...
- [Severe microangiopathic hemolytic anemia as first manifestation of a CUP syndrome. Rapid hematologic remission under polychemotherapy]Ahmed Abdel Samie
Medizinische Klinik II, Städtisches Klinikum Pforzheim, Akademisches Lehrkrankenhaus der Universität Heidelberg, Pforzheim
Med Klin (Munich) 99:148-53. 2004Microangiopathic hemolytic anemia (MAHA) represents a rare manifestation of malignant tumors...
- Hemolytic anemia with aortic stenosis resolved by urgent aortic valve replacementIsamu Kawase
Department of Cardiovascular Surgery, Mie Heart Center, Taki gun, Mie, Japan
Ann Thorac Surg 86:645-6. 2008..All laboratory data returned to normal physiological values. In conclusion, the observed hemolysis was related to the aortic shear stress of a calcified aortic valve...
- Role of metabolites in propanil-induced hemolytic anemiaD C McMillan
Department of Cell and Molecular Pharmacology and Experimental Therapeutics, Medical University of South Carolina, Charleston 29425
Toxicol Appl Pharmacol 110:70-8. 1991b>Hemolytic anemia and methemoglobinemia induced by exposure to certain arylamines, such as aniline and dapsone, are known to be mediated by their N-hydroxylamine metabolites...
- Severe hemolytic anemia due to passenger lymphocytes after living-related bowel transplantF Panaro
Department of Surgery, Transplant Division, University of Illinois at Chicago, Chicago, IL, USA
Clin Transplant 18:332-5. 2004b>Hemolytic anemia following solid organ transplant may be caused by 'passenger' lymphocytes producing antibodies against erythrocytes. This phenomenon has never been described after intestinal transplant.
- Acute viral hepatitis A and parvovirus B19 infections complicated by pure red cell aplasia and autoimmune hemolytic anemiaAref Chehal
J Hepatol 37:163-5. 2002
- Homozygous intragenic deletion of type I hexokinase gene causes lethal hemolytic anemia of the affected fetusHitoshi Kanno
Blood 100:1930. 2002
- [Characteristics of autoimmune hemolytic anemia in adults: retrospective analysis of 83 cases]I Genty
Service de Medecine Interne, Hopital Henri Mondor, 51, Avenue du Marechal de Lattre de Tassigny, 94010 Creteil, France
Rev Med Interne 23:901-9. 2002..To describe the main characteristics and outcome of adult's acquired immune hemolytic anemias (AIHA). To analyse the relevance of the complementary tests performed for the search of an underlying disease...
- The changing spectrum of drug-induced immune hemolytic anemiaPatricia A Arndt
American Red Cross Blood Services, Pomona, CA 91768, USA
Semin Hematol 42:137-44. 2005Drug-induced immune hemolytic anemia (DIIHA) occurs rarely. To date, about 100 drugs have been implicated in causing DIIHA and/or a positive direct antiglobulin test (DAT)...
- A deletional frameshift mutation in protein 4.2 gene (allele 4.2 Lisboa) associated with hereditary hemolytic anemiaS Hayette
CNRS URA 1171, Institut Pasteur de Lyon, France
Blood 85:250-6. 1995We studied a 26-year-old Portuguese patient with recessively transmitted hereditary hemolytic anemia. Protein 4.2 was absent from red cell ghosts by Western blotting. Although the 4...
- Conditional deletion of the Bcl-x gene from erythroid cells results in hemolytic anemia and profound splenomegalyK U Wagner
Laboratory of Genetics and Physiology, National Institute of Diabetes, Digestive, and Kidney Diseases, National Institutes of Health, Bldg 8, Rm 107, Bethesda, MD 20892 0822, USA
Development 127:4949-58. 2000..Three-month-old animals suffered from severe hemolytic anemia, hyperplasia of immature erythroid cells and profound enlargement of the spleen...
- Microangiopathic hemolytic anemia as an initial presentation of metastatic cancer of unknown primary originY C Lin
Department of Internal Medicine, Chang Gung Medical College, Chang Gung Memorial Hospital, Taipei, Taiwan, ROC
South Med J 88:683-7. 1995Microangiopathic hemolytic anemia (MAHA) is a well-documented but rare complication of disseminated cancer; it usually occurs in the late or terminal stage of cancer...
- Cytotoxic antibodies trigger inflammation through Fc receptorsR Clynes
Program in Molecular Biology, Memorial Sloan Kettering Cancer Center, New York, New York 10021, USA
Immunity 3:21-6. 1995..cytotoxic and immune complex-triggered inflammatory disorders, typified by rheumatic diseases, autoimmune hemolytic anemia, and thrombocytopenia...
- Molecular analysis of glucose phosphate isomerase deficiency associated with hereditary hemolytic anemiaH Kanno
Okinaka Memorial Institute for Medical Research, Tokyo, Japan
Blood 88:2321-5. 1996We report here two new cases of glucose phosphate isomerase (GPI) deficiency associated with hemolytic anemia and present the results of molecular analysis of the five Japanese GPI variants...
- A novel G6PD mutation leading to chronic hemolytic anemiaJenny McDade
Department of Hematology, St Jude Children s Research Hospital, Memphis, Tennessee 38105, USA
Pediatr Blood Cancer 51:816-9. 2008Glucose-6-phosphate dehydrogenase (G6PD) deficiency is an important cause of hemolytic anemia worldwide. Severely affected patients have chronic hemolysis with exacerbations following oxidative stress...
- Primaquine-induced hemolytic anemia: role of membrane lipid peroxidation and cytoskeletal protein alterations in the hemotoxicity of 5-hydroxyprimaquineZachary S Bowman
Dept of Cell and Molecular Pharmacology, Medical University of South Carolina, 173 Ashley Avenue, Charleston, SC 29425, USA
J Pharmacol Exp Ther 314:838-45. 2005Primaquine-induced hemolytic anemia is a toxic side effect that is due to premature splenic sequestration of intact erythrocytes...
- Identification, molecular characterization, and experimental transmission of a new hemoplasma isolate from a cat with hemolytic anemia in SwitzerlandBarbara Willi
Clinical Laboratory, Vetsuisse Faculty, University of Zurich, Winterthurerstrasse 260, 8057 Zurich, Switzerland
J Clin Microbiol 43:2581-5. 2005..feline hemoplasma isolate in a blood sample collected from a cat that had exhibited clinical signs of severe hemolytic anemia. This agent was readily transmitted via intravenous inoculation to two specific-pathogen-free cats...
- Successful rituximab therapy for hemolytic anemia associated with relapsed splenic marginal zone lymphoma with leukemic phaseSemra Paydas
Leuk Lymphoma 44:2165-6. 2003
- Severe microangiopathic hemolytic anemia and thrombocytopenia in a child with Brucella infectionA Yaramis
Dicle University Faculty of Medicine, Department of Pediatrics, Diyarbakir, Turkey
Ann Hematol 80:546-8. 2001We present a case of severe microangiopathic hemolytic anemia and thrombocytopenia with epistaxis, gross hematuria, hemoglobinuria, and skin purpura in a child with Brucella septicemia proven by culture...
- Prevention of garlic-induced hemolytic anemia using some tropical green leafy vegetablesGaniyu Oboh
Biochemistry Department, Federal University of Technology, Akure, Nigeria
J Med Food 7:498-501. 2004..However, excessive intake of garlic may cause hemolytic anemia. This project sought to investigate the ability of some commonly consumed tropical green leafy vegetables-..
- Heinz body hemolytic anemia with eccentrocytosis from ingestion of Chinese chive (Allium tuberosum) and garlic (Allium sativum) in a dogOsamu Yamato
Laboratory of Internal Medicine, Department of Veterinary Clinical Sciences, Graduate School of Veterinary Medicine, Hokkaido University, Kita ku, Sapporo, Japan
J Am Anim Hosp Assoc 41:68-73. 2005..Hematological examinations revealed severe Heinz body hemolytic anemia with eccentrocytosis and an increased concentration of methemoglobin, which was thought to result from ..
- Deficiency of the mouse complement regulatory protein mCd59b results in spontaneous hemolytic anemia with platelet activation and progressive male infertilityXuebin Qin
Department of Medicine, Brigham and Women s Hospital, 75 Francis Street, Boston, MA 02115, USA
Immunity 18:217-27. 2003..Consistently, mCd59b knockout mice present a strong phenotype characterized by hemolytic anemia with increased reticulocytes, anisopoikilocytosis, echinocytosis, schistocytosis, free hemoglobin in plasma, ..
- Mycoplasma pneumoniae infection associated with hemolytic anemia--report of one caseJinn Li Wang
Department of Pediatrics, Taipei Medical University, Wan Fang Hospital, Taipei, Taiwan
Acta Paediatr Taiwan 45:293-5. 2004Immune hemolytic anemia is a rare condition in childhood. Cold agglutinins have been implicated in the etiology of the hemolysis...
- Hydroxyurea-induced hemolytic anemia in a patient with essential thrombocythemiaFadi I Jabr
Internal Medicine, Peace Harbor Hospital, PeaceHealth Associates, Florence, Oregon, USA
Am J Hematol 77:374-6. 2004..Herein we report a case of an 80-year-old man with ET who developed severe hemolytic anemia requiring multiple packed RBC transfusions while being treated with HU...
- A toxicogenomic approach revealed hepatic gene expression changes mechanistically linked to drug-induced hemolytic anemiaMasatomo Rokushima
Discovery Technologies 1, Discovery Research Laboratories, Shionogi and Co Ltd, 12 4, Sagisu 5 Chome, Fukushima ku, Osaka 553 0002, Japan
Toxicol Sci 95:474-84. 2007A variety of pharmaceutical compounds causes hemolytic anemia as a significant adverse effect and this toxicity restricts the clinical utility of these drugs...
- Induction of reversible hemolytic anemia in living zebrafish using a novel small moleculeEbrahim Shafizadeh
Department of Molecular, Cell, and Developmental Biology, University of California at Los Angeles, 621 Charles E Young Drive, South Life Sciences Building, LS4325, Los Angeles, CA 90095, USA
Comp Biochem Physiol C Toxicol Pharmacol 138:245-9. 2004..Here, we present the characterization of hemolytic anemia induced in zebrafish by the small molecule 5115318 (3-[5-methyl-furan 2-yl]-propionic acid N'-phenyl-..
- Kala-azar associated with coombs-positive autoimmune hemolytic anemia in the patients coming from the endemic area of this disease and successful treatment of these patients with liposomal amphotericin BErol Erduran
Karadeniz Technical University, School of Medicine, Department of Pediatrics, Trabzon, Turkey
Pediatr Hematol Oncol 22:349-55. 2005..Although anemia is a usual finding, Coombs-positive autoimmune hemolytic anemia (AIHA) has rarely been reported with this disease...
- Hepatitis E virus infection with nonimmune hemolytic anemiaVeena Zamvar
Department of Paediatric Gastroenterology and Hepatology, St James s University Hospital, Leeds LS9 7TF, UK
J Pediatr Gastroenterol Nutr 40:223-5. 2005
- [Hypothyroidism, hemolytic anemia and cryoglobulinemia in a patient with hepatitis C virus infection: efficacy of treatment with alpha-interferon]A Castellano Higuera
An Med Interna 20:391-2. 2003
- Intracaval and intracardiac metastatic nonseminomatous germ cell tumor: a rare cause of hemolytic anemia and thrombocytopeniaAri D Fishman
Department of Medical Oncology, Montefiore Medical Center, 111 E 210th Street, Hofheimer 1, Albert Einstein College of Medicine, Bronx, NY 10467, USA
Cancer Invest 20:996-1001. 2002..Resection of the intracardiac mass, prompted by rapid tumor progression despite treatment with systemic chemotherapy, demonstrated mature teratoma and resulted in prompt normalization of the patients hematologic profile...
- Primaquine-induced hemolytic anemia: formation of free radicals in rat erythrocytes exposed to 6-methoxy-8-hydroxylaminoquinolineLaura J C Bolchoz
Department of Pharmacology, Medical University of South Carolina, Charleston, South Carolina 29425, USA
J Pharmacol Exp Ther 303:1121-9. 2002Primaquine is an important antimalarial drug that is often dose-limited in therapy by the onset of hemolytic anemia. We have shown recently that an N-hydroxy metabolite of primaquine, 6-methoxy-8-hydroxylaminoquinoline (MAQ-NOH), is a ..
- Transgenic rescue of hemolytic anemia due to red blood cell pyruvate kinase deficiencyHitoshi Kanno
Department of Transfusion Medicine and Cell Processing, Tokyo Women s Medical University, Tokyo, Japan
Haematologica 92:731-7. 2007..R-PK) deficiency is the most common glycolytic enzyme defect associated with hereditary non-spherocytic hemolytic anemia. Cases with the most severe deficiency die in the peri- or neonatal period and no specific therapy exists at ..
- Passenger lymphocyte syndrome with severe hemolytic anemia due to an anti-Jk(a) after allogeneic PBPC transplantationA Leo
Institute for Immunology and the Department of Internal Medicine, University Clinics of Heidelberg, Heidelberg, Germany
Transfusion 40:632-6. 2000..After allogeneic peripheral blood progenitor cell (PBPC) transplantation, a patient developed a severe hemolytic transfusion reaction due to passenger lymphocyte syndrome...
- Genetic basis of hemolytic anemia caused by pyrimidine 5' nucleotidase deficiencyA M Marinaki
Purine Research Unit, Guy s Hospital, London, United Kingdom
Blood 97:3327-32. 2001Pyrimidine 5' nucleotidase (P5'N-1) deficiency is an autosomal recessive condition causing hemolytic anemia characterized by marked basophilic stippling and the accumulation of high concentrations of pyrimidine nucleotides within the ..
- Absence of mitochondrial superoxide dismutase results in a murine hemolytic anemia responsive to therapy with a catalytic antioxidantJ S Friedman
Department of Pediatric Oncology, Dana Farber Cancer Institute, Boston, Massachusetts 02115, USA
J Exp Med 193:925-34. 2001..Such therapy may prove useful in treatment of human disorders such as sideroblastic anemia, which SOD2 deficiency most closely resembles...
- An update on drug-induced immune hemolytic anemiaG Garratty
American Red Cross Blood Services, Southern California Region, 100 Red Cross Circle, Pomona, CA 91768, USA
Immunohematology 23:105-19. 2007
- Evidence for a susceptibility gene (SLEH1) on chromosome 11q14 for systemic lupus erythematosus (SLE) families with hemolytic anemiaJennifer A Kelly
Oklahoma Medical Research Foundation, Oklahoma City, OK 73104, USA
Proc Natl Acad Sci U S A 99:11766-71. 2002b>Hemolytic anemia is a forme fruste of systemic lupus erythematosus (SLE), being observed months or even years before the onset of other clinical manifestations in some patients...
- Brown recluse spider (Loxosceles reclusa) envenomation leading to acute hemolytic anemia in six adolescentsJenny McDade
Department of Hematology, St Jude Children s Research Hospital, Memphis, TN, USA
J Pediatr 156:155-7. 2010..To highlight this important diagnostic consideration for unexplained hemolysis in areas endemic for brown recluse spiders, we report on 6 adolescents with acute hemolytic anemia from presumed L reclusa bites.
- Molecular Biology of Human Erythrocyte Alpha SpectrinPatrick G Gallagher; Fiscal Year: 2013..Abnormalities of ?-spectrin are associated with inherited hemolytic anemia, which is sometimes severe...
- Rheologic and Vascular Modulators in Sickle Vaso-occlusionDhananjay K Kaul; Fiscal Year: 2012..Chronic hypoxia is a predictable consequence of abnormal red cell rheology, sickling, hemolytic anemia and recurring vaso-occlusive episodes...
- Non-viral gene therapy for sickle cell anemiaCLIFFORD JOHN STEER; Fiscal Year: 2012..96-4057). This relentless disease, manifested by hemolytic anemia and painful vaso-occlusive crises leading to organ damage, has a significant impact on the quality and length ..
- Mac-1 (CR3) and Fc gamma receptors in immune-mediated neutrophil cytotoxicityTanya N Mayadas; Fiscal Year: 2013..the role of Vav and Rac in IgG or complement mediated phagocytosis in macrophages in models of autoimmune hemolytic anemia. We anticipate that the completion of our aims should lead to a better understanding of signaling pathways ..
- Therapeutic Value of Fish Oil Rx on SLE and Bone Loss in MiceGABRIEL J J FERNANDES; Fiscal Year: 2012..Its clinical features include glomerulonephritis, cardiovascular disease (CVD), skin rashes, serositis, hemolytic anemia, impairment of the central nervous system and bone loss...
- Identification of a Molecular Signature for Barrier InsulatorsLAURIE ANN STEINER; Fiscal Year: 2013..In addition, mutations disrupting barrier insulator function have been linked to inherited hemolytic anemia. The mechanisms underlying these aberrations in gene expression are unclear, because little is known about ..
- The Role of Peroxiredoxin1 &Reactive Oxygen Species in Breast Tumor InitiationCarola Anke Neumann; Fiscal Year: 2013..We have shown that mice lacking one or two copies of the peroxidase Prdx1 die prematurely of hemolytic anemia and multiple cancers...
- Fc receptor targeted therapy for immune hemolytic anemiaPeriasamy Selvaraj; Fiscal Year: 2009..Principal Investigator/Program Director (Last, first, middle): Selvaraj, Periasamy Abstract: Autoimmune hemolytic anemia (AIHA) is caused by the destruction of autoantibody-coated RBCs by phagocytes...
- Rac1 and Rac2 Guanosine Triphosphatases in Erythroid Function and DifferentiationTHEODOSIA ANASTASIOS KALFA; Fiscal Year: 2012..In the long-term, this research is expected to offer new perspectives on the pathogenesis of hemolytic anemia and provide potential therapeutic targets in human disease characterized by abnormal erythropoiesis and ..
- Determination of a Mechanism for the Thrombocytopenia of WASTed S Strom; Fiscal Year: 2010..rapid phagocytosis of platelets and red cells correlates with a proclivity toward ITP and autoimmune hemolytic anemia (AIHA). The latter is the most common of several autoimmune conditions frequently seen in WAS patients...
- Naphthalene exposure, chromosomal aberrations in poor urban school children.Manuela A Orjuela; Fiscal Year: 2012..Naphthalene expo- sure is associated with hemolytic anemia in infants  and with DNA damage in sperm, while in vitro exposure to naphthalene metabolites is toxic to ..
- Interleukin-2 and autoimmune diseaseAbul K Abbas; Fiscal Year: 2012..with IL-2 deficiency? The autoimmune disease of IL-2-knockout BALB/c mice is characterized by rapid-onset hemolytic anemia and lymphoproliferation, and is associated with markedly enhanced IFN-g production (Th1 responses) and ..
- Genetics of Autoimmune Hemolytic AnemiaDwight H Kono; Fiscal Year: 2013..Notably, NZB.NZW-Lbw2 interval congenic mice demonstrated a marked reduction in autoimmune hemolytic anemia (AIHA) and consequent splenomegaly that was not associated with defects in immunoglobulin levels, anti-..
- Pathogenesis of HIV-HUS in childrenPatricio E Ray; Fiscal Year: 2012..HIV-infected children can develop a severe type of Hemolytic Uremic Syndrome (HUS), characterized by hemolytic anemia and rapid progression of the renal disease, or death associated with infections, vascular leakage and ..
- Capping Actin Growth in Erythroid and Nonerythroid CellsVelia M Fowler; Fiscal Year: 2013..RBCs, and in wild-type, Tmod1-null and 1/2-adducin-null mouse RBCs, and to screen as yet undiagnosed human hemolytic anemia patients for defects in TMODs;3) To determine the cellular basis for the Tmod3-null mouse fetal liver anemia, ..
- Molecular Regulation of Erythroid DifferentiationMin Chen; Fiscal Year: 2013..to defective mitochondrial autophagy are prone to oxidative stress, leading to increased cell turnover and hemolytic anemia. Aim 1...
- Membrane Proteins of Normal and Abnormal Red CellsDavid W Speicher; Fiscal Year: 2013..Equally important is the fact that the mechanisms by which hereditary hemolytic anemia mutations disrupt spectrin assembly and structure are in most cases inferred with little or no real ..
- ANALYSIS OF MOLECULAR NETWORKS AND CONTROL SYSTEMSMichael A Savageau; Fiscal Year: 2013..The specific aims of this proposal, which have been selected with this goal in mind, are to: (1) relate hemolytic anemia in diabetics with variants of the glucose-6-phosphate dehydrogenase enzyme to levels of oxidative stress, (2) ..
- EUKARYOTIC PHOSPHOFRUCTOKINASE: STRUCTURE/FUNCTIONTeresa Ruiz; Fiscal Year: 2009..g., Hemolytic anemia, Tauri's disease, non-insulin dependent diabetes mellitus)...
- NCMHD Southeastern Exploratory Sickle Cell Center of ExcellenceAbdullah Kutlar; Fiscal Year: 2013..Because of its complex pathophysiology through chronic hemolytic anemia, microvascularocclusion, and a chronic inflammatory state, it affects multiple organ systems and leads to ..
- WEILL CORNELL PROGRAM OF EXCELLENCE IN GENE THERAPYRonald Crystal; Fiscal Year: 2005..End of Abstract) ..
- Functional Studies of Erythrocyte DematinAthar H Chishti; Fiscal Year: 2010..including the platelets and heart muscle, the proposed studies are potentially significant for understanding the molecular basis of cardiovascular diseases such as hemolytic anemia and related bleeding disorders.
- Cytokine Dysregulation in Autoimmune Hemolytic AnemiaKatrina K Hoyer; Fiscal Year: 2010Autoimmune hemolytic anemia (AIHA) is characterized by the production of antibodies directed against self red blood cells...
- Transfusion Medicine/Hemostasis Clinical Research NetworkKeith R McCrae; Fiscal Year: 2012..Other disorders including hemophilia, heparin-induced thrombocytopenia, and autoimmune hemolytic anemia will also provide substrates for further investigation...
- Cytokine Dysregulation in Autoimmune Hemolytic AnemiaKatrina K Hoyer; Fiscal Year: 2013Autoimmune hemolytic anemia (AIHA) is characterized by the production of antibodies directed against self red blood cells...
- Study of TTP: Incidence Rates and Risk FactorsCharles Bennett; Fiscal Year: 2005..purpura (TTP) is a life-threatening disease characterized by a pentad of symptoms including microangiopathic hemolytic anemia (MAHA), thrombocytopenia, neurologic symptoms, fever, and renal dysfunction...
- INHIBITION OF NONERYTHROID SPECTRIN BY ANTISENSE RNARandall Moon; Fiscal Year: 1993..in human diseases since defects in the alpha-subunit of spectrin in red blood cells are linked to hereditary hemolytic anemia. A related spectrin, termed fodrin, is encoded by different genes and is present in muscle...
- GENE TARGETED MICE WITH A SIMPLIFIED IMMUNE SYSTEMMATTHIAS R WABL; Fiscal Year: 2013..ii) Similarly, an integrase inhibitor that accumulates endogenous retroelement cDNA exacerbates lupus and hemolytic anemia in mice...
- Assembly of Spectrin IsoformsLESLIE FUNG; Fiscal Year: 2009..brain cells and other types of cells, and of diseases related to spectrin tetramers, such as hereditary hemolytic anemia, and neurological disorders...
- PRIMAQUINE-INDUCED HEMOLYTIC ANEMIADAVID MC MILLAN; Fiscal Year: 2004..However, primaquine therapy has been severely limited because of its capacity to induce methemoglobinemia and hemolytic anemia, particularly in patients with glucose-6-phosphate dehydrogenase deficiency...
- INACTIVATION OF THE PIGA GENE IN HEMATOPOIETIC STEM CELLMonica Bessler; Fiscal Year: 2002..In patients with Paroxysmal Nocturnal Hemoglobinuria (PNH), an acquired hemolytic anemia, a somatic mutation in the X linked PIGA gene occurs in a hematopoietic stem cell...
- MECHANISM OF DIVICINE TOXICITYDAVID MC MILLAN; Fiscal Year: 1999..These pyrimidine aglycones have been implicated as the causative factors in a life-threatening hemolytic anemia known as favism...
- ANIMAL MODEL OF DRUG-INDUCED SLEDavid Aucoin; Fiscal Year: 1990..This syndrome is characterized by lethergy, anoerexia, lymphadenopathy, severe hemolytic anemia, positive Coombs' test and antinuclear antibodies...
- Hemolytic Anemia: Biochemical, Molecular and Proteomic DiagnosticsJeffrey S Friedman; Fiscal Year: 2010DESCRIPTION (provided by applicant): Hemolytic Anemia: Biochemical, Molecular and Proteomic Diagnostics The hereditary hemolytic anemias, comprising both enzyme deficiencies and red cell membrane protein defects are a heterogeneous group ..
- GLOBIN GENE TRANSFER FOR THERAPY OF SICKLE CELL ANEMIAMichel Sadelain; Fiscal Year: 2004..Sickle cell anemia is one of the commonest inherited diseases in humans, characterized by a severe chronic hemolytic anemia with an unpredictable course...
- GLYCOLIPIDS AND HEMOLYTIC UREMIC SYNDROMEDavid Haslam; Fiscal Year: 2002..uremic syndrome (HUS) is characterized by verotoxin-mediated damage to endothelial cells that results in hemolytic anemia, throbocytopenia, and multisystemic complications including renal failure...
- NHLBI MINORITY INSTITUTION RESEARCH SCIENTIST DEVELOPMENMARIA DEL PILAR AGUINAGA; Fiscal Year: 2004..from applicant's abstract) Sickle cell disease is a serious hemoglobin disorder characterized by a chronic hemolytic anemia with recurrent vasoocclusive episodes, secondary complications, impaired quality of life and a reduced life ..
- MOLECULAR BIOLOGY OF HUMAN ERYTHROCYTE ANKYRINPatrick Gallagher; Fiscal Year: 2000..the identification of ankyrin mutations n patients with hereditary spherocytosis (HS), a common inherited hemolytic anemia, and characterization of the structural and/or functional significance of these abnormalities...
- Bartonella Inhibitory Factor for Endothelial Cell GrowthMICHAEL MINNICK; Fiscal Year: 2002..manifestations including endocarditis, bacillary angiomatosis, peliosis, chronic bacteremia, and hemolytic anemia. Bartonella's parasitism of microvascular endothelial cells is characterized by a proliferative response ..
- SPLENIC TOXICITY OF ANILINEM Firoze Khan; Fiscal Year: 1999..The hemopoietic system is an early target of aniline insult. Besides causing methemoglobinemia and hemolytic anemia, aniline exposure also results in selective splenic toxicity leading to splenomegaly, hemorrhage, capsular ..
- CHLOROANILINE-INDUCED NEPHROTOXICITYGARY RANKIN; Fiscal Year: 1992..chlorinated derivatives produce a spectrum of toxicities which include hematotoxicity (methemoglobinemia, hemolytic anemia), nephrotoxicity (oliguria, hematuria, tubular necrosis) and to a lesser extent, hepatotoxicity...
- Protein Signatures of Normal versus Paroxysmal Nocturnal Hemoglobinuria PlateletsMonica Bessler; Fiscal Year: 2007..DESCRIPTION (provided by applicant): [unreadable] Paroxysmal nocturnal hemoglobinuria is an acquired hemolytic anemia characterized by the increased sensitivity of red cells to complement leading to intravascular hemolysis and ..
- Induction of Tissue Factor by Patient Sera in HUSEric Grabowski; Fiscal Year: 2007..Diarrhea-positive Hemolytic Uremic Syndrome (D+ HUS) is a serious disease in children that causes hemolytic anemia, thrombocytopenia, and acute renal failure...
- CHARACTERIZATION OF AUTOANTIBODIES IN IMMUNE CYTOPENIASDenise Shaw; Fiscal Year: 1992..etiologies of chronic autoimmune cytopenias like idiopathic thrombocytopenic purpura (AITP) and warm-reactive hemolytic anemia (AIHA) are unknown...
- Hemolytic Anemia: ModelsLUANNE PETERS; Fiscal Year: 2006..5 isoform in the structure and assembly of the sarcoplasmic reticulum by an in vivo developmental study. ..
- Immunodeficiencies and Autoimmune Diseases (a Scientific Colloquium)Noel Rose; Fiscal Year: 2009..CVID), a B cell defect, develop an autoimmune condition such as idiopathic thrombocytopenia (ITP), hemolytic anemia, rheumatoid arthritis, sicca syndrome, primary biliary cirrhosis, and pernicious anemia...
- Functions of pRb in Stress ErythropoiesisKay Macleod; Fiscal Year: 2009..We have shown that under stress conditions, such as hemolytic anemia, bone marrow transplant or tumorigenesis, pRb is required to regulate erythroblast expansion and to ..
- MECHANISMS OF ENDOTHELIAL CELL INJURY IN TTP/HUSJerome Gottschall; Fiscal Year: 1999Thrombotic thrombocytopenic purpura (TTP) is a multi-system disorder characterized by micro angiopathic hemolytic anemia, thrombocytopenia, neurologic abnormalities, and less commonly, fever and renal abnormalities...
- GENETIC ANALYSIS--DYSERYTHROPOIETIC ANEMIA IN ZEBRAFISHBarry Paw; Fiscal Year: 2000..syndromes, leukemia megaloblastic anemia, HIV infection, recovery from bone marrow transplantation, and hemolytic anemia. A full understanding of this marrow stress response awaits identification of genes involved in this cascade ..
- The Role of Alpha Hemoglobin Stabilizing Protein in Human Beta ThalassemiaMitchell J Weiss; Fiscal Year: 2010..Ahsp-/- mice exhibit hemolytic anemia with Hb precipitates and excessive ROS...
- Proinflammatory signaling in the kidney by Shiga toxinKRISTIN SAUTER; Fiscal Year: 2009..syndrome (HUS), a common cause of acute renal failure in children, is characterized by microangiopathic hemolytic anemia, thrombocytopenia, and renal failure. HUS is caused by Shiga-toxin producing E.coli of serotype O157:H7...
- INHIBITION OF NONERYTHROID SPECTRIN BY ANTISENSE RNARandall Moon; Fiscal Year: 1991..in human disease since defects in the alpha-subunit of spectrin in red blood cells are linked to hereditary hemolytic anemia. A related spectrin, termed fodrin, is encoded by different genes and is present in muscle...
- NHLBI MINORITY INSTITUTION FACULTY MENTORED RESEARCHHarpal Singh; Fiscal Year: 2001..David Jollow, and will be concerned with the an aspect of the mechanisms underlying the hemolytic anemia that occurs in man and animals in response to arylamine drugs and environmental chemicals...
- GENETIC INTERACTIONS IN RED CELL MEMBRANE DISEASELUANNE PETERS; Fiscal Year: 2003Hereditary spherocytosis (HS), a common inherited hemolytic anemia, results from defects in the red blood cell (RBC) spectrin-based membrane skeleton, a multicomponent structure crucial to RBC mechanical stability...
- DEFERIPRONE THERAPY FOR SICKLE CELL DISEASENancy Olivieri; Fiscal Year: 2001..to determine if administration of the orally active iron chelator deferiprone can ameliorate the chronic hemolytic anemia of sickle cell disease by inhibiting iron-induced oxidative damage to the sickle erythrocyte membrane and ..
- ADDUCIN ISOFORMS IN RBC AND PLATELET DIFFERENTIATIONDIANA GILLIGAN; Fiscal Year: 2003..Defects in membrane skeleton proteins cause mild to severe hemolytic anemia and even hydrops fetalis...
- RETROVIRAL TRANSFER OF ANKYRIN FOR SPHEROCYTOSISPamela Becker; Fiscal Year: 2002..We-will use the nb/nb mouse as our hemolytic anemia model and study the impact of stem cell cycle status and low dose (100 cGy) host irradiation (minimal ..
- SICKLING MECHANISMS AND RED CELL MEMBRANESROBERT BOOKCHIN; Fiscal Year: 2002..with the RBC membranes to alter cell functions, leading clinically to widespread microvascular occlusion and hemolytic anemia. Our immediate aims are: I...
- TRANSLATIONAL CONTROL OF ADENOSINE DEAMINASEElaine Chottiner; Fiscal Year: 1990Elevated erythrocyte adenosine deaminase (ADA) activity has been reported in association with hereditary hemolytic anemia (Valentine et al., Science 195:783-5, 1977)...
- OVERPRODUCTION OF ADENOSINE DEAMINASE IN ERYTHROCYTESBeverly Mitchell; Fiscal Year: 1993..but not in leukocytes, B lymphoblasts, or fibroblasts, from a kindred with an autosomal dominant form of hemolytic anemia. The elevated red cell ADA activity is associated with normal catalytic properties of the enzyme and normal ..
- Engineering proteins to target repair of human disease-causing mutationsUmut Ulge; Fiscal Year: 2009..PKD is the most common human heritable glycolytic defect, and is the second most common cause of hemolytic anemia. It represents an ideal target disease for repair for several important reasons: the mutations in the ..
- DECIPHERING THE FUNCTION OF THE RH BLOOD GROUP PROTEINSConnie Westhoff; Fiscal Year: 2002..role in the erythrocyte membrane, as individuals who lack expression of all Rh antigens suffer from chronic hemolytic anemia. The eventual, long-term goal of this project is to decipher the function of the Rh proteins, characterize ..
- SHIGA LIKE TOXIN AND RENAL CELL DYSFUNCTIONDonald Kohan; Fiscal Year: 2001..The HUS is characterized by acute renal injury, microangiopathic hemolytic anemia, and thrombocytopenia...
- The role of regulatory T cells in maintaining B cell toleranceDaniel Campbell; Fiscal Year: 2007..autoimmune diseases, such as systemic lupus erythematosus, idiopathic thrombocytopenia purpura, autoimmune hemolytic anemia, and myasthenia gravis...