Genomes and Genes
pregnancy in diabetics
Summary: The state of PREGNANCY in women with DIABETES MELLITUS. This does not include either symptomatic diabetes or GLUCOSE INTOLERANCE induced by pregnancy (DIABETES, GESTATIONAL) which resolves at the end of pregnancy.
Publications259 found, 100 shown here
- Overweight and the metabolic syndrome in adult offspring of women with diet-treated gestational diabetes mellitus or type 1 diabetesTine D Clausen
Center for Pregnant Women with Diabetes, Department of Obstetrics, Rigshospitalet, The Capital Region of Denmark, Faculty of Health Sciences, University of Copenhagen, 2100 Copenhagen, Denmark
J Clin Endocrinol Metab 94:2464-70. 2009..In animal studies, exposure to intrauterine hyperglycemia increases the risk of cardiovascular disease through only partly understood epigenetic mechanisms. Human long-term follow-up studies on the same topic are few...
- Diabetes mellitus and birth defectsAdolfo Correa
Division of Birth Defects and Developmental Disabilities, Centers for Disease Control and Prevention, Atlanta, GA 30333, USA
Am J Obstet Gynecol 199:237.e1-9. 2008..The purpose of this study was to examine associations between diabetes mellitus and 39 birth defects...
- Perinatal hyperinsulinism as possible predisposing factor for diabetes mellitus, obesity and enhanced cardiovascular risk in later lifeG Dorner
Bereich Charité der Humboldt Universität, Institut für Experimentelle Endokrinologie, Berlin, Germany
Horm Metab Res 26:213-21. 1994....
- Offspring of diabetic pregnancy: long-term outcomesUmberto Simeoni
INSERM UMR608, Universite de la Mediterranee, France Faculté de Médecine, Universite de la Mediterranee, France Division of Neonatology, Assistance Publique Hopitaux de Marseille, France
Semin Fetal Neonatal Med 14:119-24. 2009....
- Obstetric and perinatal outcomes in pregnancies complicated by Type 1 and Type 2 diabetes: influences of glycaemic control, obesity and social disadvantageH R Murphy
Metabolic Research Laboratories, Institute of Metabolic Science, University of Cambridge, Cambridge, UK
Diabet Med 28:1060-7. 2011..To compare obstetric and perinatal outcomes in women with Type 1 and Type 2 diabetes and relate these to maternal risk factors...
- Long-term consequences for offspring of diabetes during pregnancyF A Van Assche
Department of Obstetrics and Gynaecology, University Hospital Gasthuisberg, Leuven, Belgium
Br Med Bull 60:173-82. 2001..The long-term consequences of an abnormal intra-uterine environment are of primary importance world-wide. Concentrated efforts are needed to explore how these long-term effects can be prevented...
- Experiences of professional support during pregnancy and childbirth - a qualitative study of women with type 1 diabetesMarie Berg
The Institute of Health and Care Sciences, the Sahlgrenska Academy at Gothenburg University Box 457, SE 405 30, Goteborg, Sweden
BMC Pregnancy Childbirth 9:27. 2009..The aim of this study was to explore the need for and experience of professional support during pregnancy and childbirth among women with type 1 diabetes...
- Quality of life in pregnancy and post-partum: a study in diabetic patientsM G Dalfrà
DPT Scienze Mediche e Chirurgiche, Universita di Padova, Via Giustiniani 2, 35128, Padova, Italy
Qual Life Res 21:291-8. 2012..We evaluated quality of life in pregnant women with diabetes followed up at Italian diabetes clinics...
- Maternal-fetal outcome, lipid profile and oxidative stress of diabetic rats neonatally exposed to streptozotocinD C Damasceno
Laboratory of Experimental Research of Gynecology and Obstetrics, Department of Gynecology and Obstetrics, Botucatu Medical School São Paulo State University Unesp, SP, Brazil
Exp Clin Endocrinol Diabetes 119:408-13. 2011..There is no evidence about the integrated issue on glycemia, lipid profile, oxidative stress, and anomaly frequency of pregnant diabetic rats neonatally exposed to streptozotocin...
- Gestational glucose tolerance and risk of type 2 diabetes in young Pima Indian offspringPaul W Franks
Phoenix Epidemiology and Clinical Research Branch, National Institute of Diabetes and Digestive and Kidney Diseases, National Institutes of Health, Arizona, USA
Diabetes 55:460-5. 2006..Thus, prevention of offspring type 2 diabetes may require strategies that focus on improving gestational glucose tolerance even within the normal range...
- Effect of gestational weight gain on perinatal outcomes in women with type 2 diabetes mellitus using the 2009 Institute of Medicine guidelinesLynn M Yee
Department of Obstetrics, Gynecology, and Reproductive Sciences, University of California, San Francisco, CA, USA
Am J Obstet Gynecol 205:257.e1-6. 2011..We sought to examine associations between gestational weight gain according to the 2009 Institute of Medicine (IOM) guidelines and perinatal outcomes in overweight/obese women with type 2 diabetes mellitus (T2DM)...
- Hypoglycaemia during pregnancy in women with Type 1 diabetesL Ringholm
Center for Pregnant Women with Diabetes, Rigshospitalet, University of Copenhagen Department of Endocrinology, Rigshospitalet, Copenhagen, Denmark
Diabet Med 29:558-66. 2012..To explore incidence, risk factors, possible pathophysiological factors and clinical management of hypoglycaemia during pregnancy in women with Type 1 diabetes...
- Pre-pregnancy weight and the risk of stillbirth and neonatal deathJanni Kristensen
Perinatal Epidemiological Research Unit, Department of Obstetrics and Gynaecology, Aarhus University Hospital, 8200 Aarhus N, Denmark
BJOG 112:403-8. 2005..To evaluate the association between maternal pre-pregnancy body mass index (BMI) and the risk of stillbirth and neonatal death and to study the causes of death among the children...
- Long-term effects of the intrauterine environment, birth weight, and breast-feeding in Pima IndiansD J Pettitt
Diabetes and Arthritis Epidemiology Section, National Institute of Diabetes and Digestive and Kidney Diseases, Phoenix, Arizona, USA
Diabetes Care 21:B138-41. 1998....
- Maternal efficacy and safety outcomes in a randomized, controlled trial comparing insulin detemir with NPH insulin in 310 pregnant women with type 1 diabetesElisabeth R Mathiesen
Center for Pregnant Women with Diabetes, Rigshospitalet, University of Copenhagen, Copenhagen, Denmark
Diabetes Care 35:2012-7. 2012..This randomized, controlled noninferiority trial aimed to compare the efficacy and safety of insulin detemir (IDet) versus neutral protamine Hagedorn (NPH) (both with prandial insulin aspart) in pregnant women with type 1 diabetes...
- Secretory IgA-Fcα receptor interaction modulating phagocytosis and microbicidal activity by phagocytes in human colostrum of diabeticsEduardo Luzia França
Post Graduate Program in Immunology and Parasitology of the Institute of Biological and Health Sciences, Federal University of Mato Grosso, Barra do Garças, MT, Brazil
APMIS 119:710-9. 2011..The stimulatory effects of SIgA on the functional activity of phagocytes therefore protect infants, especially of diabetic women, against intestinal infections...
- Exposure to maternal diabetes induces salt-sensitive hypertension and impairs renal function in adult rat offspringTouria Nehiri
Institut National de la Sante et de la Recherche Medicale, Unite Mixte de Recherche S872, Centre de Recherche des Cordeliers, Paris, France
Diabetes 57:2167-75. 2008..The aim of the study was to assess, in the rat, long-term effects of in utero exposure to maternal diabetes on blood pressure and renal function in adulthood...
- Gestational diabetes guidelines in a HAPO worldJoyce Leary
UC Davis Medical Center, Department of Internal Medicine, Sacramento, CA 95817, USA
Best Pract Res Clin Endocrinol Metab 24:673-85. 2010..Regardless, these guidelines serve to advance the discussion on appropriate screening and diagnosis of diabetes in pregnancy...
- The diabetic pregnancy and offspring BMI in childhood: a systematic review and meta-analysisL H Philipps
Section of Neonatal Medicine, Department of Medicine, Imperial College London, Chelsea and Westminster Campus, 369 Fulham Road, London, SW10 9NH, UK
Diabetologia 54:1957-66. 2011..Increased offspring BMI is a plausible mediator. We performed a systematic review and meta-analysis of studies examining offspring BMI z score in childhood in relation to maternal diabetes...
- Intrauterine exposure to diabetes is a determinant of hemoglobin A(1)c and systolic blood pressure in pima Indian childrenJoy C Bunt
Obesity and Clinical Diabetes Research Section, National Institute of Diabetes and Digestive and Kidney Diseases, National Institutes of Health, 4212 North 16th Street, Room 541 A, Phoenix, Arizona 85016, USA
J Clin Endocrinol Metab 90:3225-9. 2005....
- Fetal cardiac effects of maternal hyperglycemia during pregnancyNiamh Corrigan
UCD School of Medicine and Medical Science, University College, Dublin 2, Ireland
Birth Defects Res A Clin Mol Teratol 85:523-30. 2009..In this review, we will summarize recent data on fetal cardiac effects from human pregestational diabetic mothers, as well as the most relevant findings in rodent models of diabetic cardiac teratogenesis...
- Trends in prevalence and outcomes of pregnancy in women with pre-existing type I and type II diabetesR Bell
Institute of Health and Society, Newcastle University, Newcastle upon Tyne, UK
BJOG 115:445-52. 2008..To describe recent trends in prevalence, outcomes and indicators of care for women with pre-existing type I or type II diabetes...
- Type 2 diabetes in pregnancy: a growing concernDenice S Feig
Division of Endocrinology and Metabolism, Mount Sinai Hospital, Ontario M5G 1X5, Toronto, Canada
Lancet 359:1690-2. 2002
- Maternal glucose at 28 weeks of gestation is not associated with obesity in 2-year-old offspring: the Belfast Hyperglycemia and Adverse Pregnancy Outcome (HAPO) family studyDavid J Pettitt
Sansum Diabetes Research Institute, Santa Barbara, California, USA
Diabetes Care 33:1219-23. 2010..K. center of the multinational Hyperglycemia and Adverse Pregnancy Outcome (HAPO) Study...
- Continuous glucose monitoring for the evaluation of gravid women with type 1 diabetes mellitusYariv Yogev
Department of Obstetrics and Gynecology, Rabin Medical Center, Beilinson Campus, Petah Tiqva, Israel
Obstet Gynecol 101:633-8. 2003..To compare the daily glycemic profile reflected by continuous and intermittent blood glucose monitoring in pregnant women with type 1 diabetes and to compare the treatment protocols based on the two monitoring methods...
- Animal models in diabetes and pregnancyAlicia Jawerbaum
Laboratory of Reproduction and Metabolism, Centro de Estudios Farmacológicos y Botánicos Consejo Nacional de Investigaciones Científicas y Técnicas School of Medicine, University of Buenos Aires, Buenos Aires, Argentina
Endocr Rev 31:680-701. 2010....
- Type 2 diabetes in pregnancy - An increasing problemRosemary Temple
Elsie Bertram Diabetes Centre, Norfolk and Norwich University Hospital NHS Trust, Norwich, Norfolk, United Kingdom
Best Pract Res Clin Endocrinol Metab 24:591-603. 2010....
- Closed-loop insulin delivery during pregnancy complicated by type 1 diabetesHelen R Murphy
Institute of Metabolic Science, Metabolic Research Laboratories, University of Cambridge, Hills Road, Cambridge, UK
Diabetes Care 34:406-11. 2011..This study evaluated closed-loop insulin delivery with a model predictive control (MPC) algorithm during early (12-16 weeks) and late gestation (28-32 weeks) in pregnant women with type 1 diabetes...
- Oxidative stress status and lipid profiles of diabetic pregnant rats exposed to cigarette smokeMaricelma da Silva Soares de Souza
Laboratory of Experimental Research of Gynecology and Obstetrics, Department of Gynecology and Obstetrics, Botucatu Medical School, Unesp Univ Estadual Paulista, Sao Paulo State, Brazil
Reprod Biomed Online 20:547-52. 2010....
- Serum carotenoids and fat-soluble vitamins in women with type 1 diabetes and preeclampsia: a longitudinal studyMadona Azar
Harold Hamm Oklahoma Diabetes Center and Section of Endocrinology and Diabetes, University of Oklahoma Health Sciences Center, Oklahoma City, Oklahoma, USA
Diabetes Care 34:1258-64. 2011..Prospective measures of fat-soluble vitamins in diabetic pregnancy are therefore of interest...
- Risk factors for macrosomia and its clinical consequences: a study of 350,311 pregnanciesMatthew C Jolly
Section of Endocrinology and Metabolic Medicine, The Mint Wing, Imperial College of Science Technology and Medicine, St Mary s Campus, London W2 1PG, UK
Eur J Obstet Gynecol Reprod Biol 111:9-14. 2003..To identify demographic risk factors for either birthweight >4kg or over the 90th centile and to quantify the obstetric risks...
- Cardiac malformations and alteration of TGFbeta signaling system in diabetic embryopathyZhiyong Zhao
Department of Obstetrics, Gynecology, and Reproductive Sciences, Department of Biochemistry and Molecular Biology, University of Maryland School of Medicine, Baltimore, 21201, USA
Birth Defects Res B Dev Reprod Toxicol 89:97-105. 2010..Cardiovascular defects are the most common anomalies in diabetic embryopathy. The mechanisms underlying the manifestation of the defects remain to be addressed...
- Comparison of pregnancy mood profiles in gestational diabetes and preexisting diabetesN Langer
Fordham University, School of Social Work, New York, USA
Diabetes Educ 26:667-72. 2000..mood profile? Is there a relationship between levels of glycemic control and emotional profile? Which factors distinguish the emotional profile of women with pregestational diabetes from women with newly diagnosed gestational diabetes?..
- Pathogenesis of diabetes-induced congenital malformationsU J Eriksson
Department of Medical Cell Biology, Uppsala University, Sweden
Ups J Med Sci 105:53-84. 2000....
- The prevalence of maternal medical conditions during pregnancy and a validation of their reporting in hospital discharge dataRuth M Hadfield
Perinatal Research, The Kolling Institute of Medical Research, University of Sydney, Sydney, New South Wales, Australia
Aust N Z J Obstet Gynaecol 48:78-82. 2008..We estimated the population prevalence of maternal medical conditions during pregnancy and found a tendency towards underreporting although specificities were high, indicating that false positives were uncommon...
- Internet use, needs and expectations of web-based information and communication in childbearing women with type 1 diabetesCarina Sparud-Lundin
Institute of Health and Care Sciences, the Sahlgrenska Academy at University of Gothenburg, Box 457, SE 405 30, Gothenburg, Sweden
BMC Med Inform Decis Mak 11:49. 2011..The objective of this study was to explore internet use, needs, and expectations regarding web-based information and communication in childbearing women with type 1 diabetes...
- One-cell zygote transfer from diabetic to nondiabetic mouse results in congenital malformations and growth retardation in offspringAmanda Wyman
Department of Obstetrics and Gynecology, Washington University in St Louis, St Louis, MO 63110, USA
Endocrinology 149:466-9. 2008..5. In summary, exposure to maternal diabetes during oogenesis, fertilization, and the first 24 h was enough to program permanently the fetus to develop significant morphological changes...
- Congenital anomalies in diabetic pregnancyUlf J Eriksson
Department of Medical Cell Biology, Uppsala University, Biomedical Center, PO Box 571, SE 75123 Uppsala, Sweden
Semin Fetal Neonatal Med 14:85-93. 2009....
- Fetal and neonatal outcomes of diabetic pregnanciesJoanne Yang
Department of Pediatrics, Izaak Walton Killam Health Centre and Dalhousie University, Halifax, Nova Scotia, Canada
Obstet Gynecol 108:644-50. 2006....
- Associations of Type 1 diabetes mellitus, maternal vascular disease and complications of pregnancyC Howarth
Queen s Medical Centre, Nottingham University Hospitals, Nottingham, UK
Diabet Med 24:1229-34. 2007..Maternal diabetes increases the risk of pre-eclampsia and abnormalities of fetal growth. We studied the additional impact of maternal vascular disease on these risks...
- Treatment with Azadirachta indica in diabetic pregnant rats: negative effects on maternal outcomeBruna Dallaqua
Laboratory of Experimental Research on Gynecology and Obstetrics, Postgraduation Program in Gynecology, Obstetrics and Mastology, Botucatu Medical School, Universidade Estadual Paulista UNESP, Sao Paulo State, Brazil
J Ethnopharmacol 143:805-11. 2012..The objective of this study was to evaluate the effects of Azadirachta indica (neem) on maternal reproductive performance and biochemical parameters in non-diabetic and streptozotocin-induced mild diabetic rats (MD)...
- Women with diabetes in pregnancy: different perceptions and expectationsJean M Lawrence
Department of Research and Evaluation, Kaiser Permanente Southern California, Pasadena, 91101, USA
Best Pract Res Clin Obstet Gynaecol 25:15-24. 2011..We present information about how health professionals may manage these perceptions and expectations, based on the findings of these studies, as well as areas for future research...
- Maternal adjustment and infant outcome in medically defined high-risk pregnancyRachel Levy-Shiff
Department of Psychology, Bar Ilan University, Ramat Gan, Israel
Dev Psychol 38:93-103. 2002..Infant outcomes in the maternal diabetic groups were associated with maternal metabolism. Maternal coping and resources differed in the 3 groups and differentially predicted infant development...
- Current perspectives on the causes of neural tube defects resulting from diabetic pregnancyMary R Loeken
Section on Developmental and Stem Cell Biology at Joslin Diabetes Center, Harvard Medical School, Boston, MA 02215, USA
Am J Med Genet C Semin Med Genet 135:77-87. 2005..Evidence in support of this model, in which excess glucose metabolism inhibits expression of Pax3, thereby derepressing p53-dependent apoptosis of neuroepithelium and leading to NTD will be discussed...
- Insulin during pregnancy, labour and deliveryHarold W de Valk
Dept of Internal Medicine, University Medical Centre Utrecht, The Netherlands
Best Pract Res Clin Obstet Gynaecol 25:65-76. 2011..After delivery, glycaemic control must be relaxed to prevent hypoglycaemia, especially in women who breastfeed...
- Preconception care: a systematic reviewCarol C Korenbrot
Institute for Health Policy Studies, University of California, San Francisco 94143 0936, USA
Matern Child Health J 6:75-88. 2002....
- N-3 fatty acids modulate antioxidant status in diabetic rats and their macrosomic offspringA Yessoufou
Department of Physiology, UPRES Lipids and Nutrition, Faculty of Life Sciences, University of Burgundy, Dijon, France
Int J Obes (Lond) 30:739-50. 2006..We investigated the role of dietary n-3 polyunsaturated fatty acids (n-3 PUFA) in the modulation of total antioxidant status in streptozotocin (STZ)-induced diabetic rats and their macrosomic offspring...
- Long-term effects of maternal diabetes on vascular reactivity and renal function in rat male offspringSilvia O Rocha
Department of Physiology, Federal University of Sao Paulo, Brazil
Pediatr Res 58:1274-9. 2005....
- Intrauterine diabetes exposure and the risk of renal disease in diabetic Pima IndiansR G Nelson
Phoenix Epidemiology and Clinical Research Branch, National Insitute of Diabetes and Digestive and Kidney Diseases, National Institutes of Health, Phoenix, Arizona 85014 4972, USA
Diabetes 47:1489-93. 1998..The effect of this exposure appears to be independent of other susceptibility factors that lead to nephropathy in diabetes...
- A qualitative study of perceived barriers to management of diabetes among women with a history of diabetes during pregnancySarah A Collier
Atlanta Research and Education Foundation contractor for Centers for Disease Control and Prevention CDC, National Center for Emerging and Zoonotic Infectious Diseases NCEZID, Atlanta, Georgia 30333, USA
J Womens Health (Larchmt) 20:1333-9. 2011..This study explored barriers to glycemic control before, during, and after pregnancy and describes knowledge, attitudes, and behaviors among pregnant women with pregestational diabetes (PGDM) or gestational diabetes (GDM)...
- Vascular dysfunction in the diabetic placenta: causes and consequencesLopa Leach
School of Biomedical Sciences, Centre for Integrated Systems Biology and Medicine, Institute of Clinical Research, Faculty of Medicine and Health Sciences, University of Nottingham, UK
J Anat 215:69-76. 2009..The altered molecular mechanisms underlying the vascular changes in the diabetic human placenta may reflect similar consequences of high glucose and hyperinsulinaemia...
- Maternal hyperglycemia alters glucose transport and utilization in mouse preimplantation embryosK H Moley
Department of Obstetrics and Gynecology, Washington University School of Medicine, St Louis, Missouri 63110, USA
Am J Physiol 275:E38-47. 1998..These findings suggest that, in response to a maternal diabetic state, preimplantation mouse embryos experience a decrease in glucose utilization directly related to a decrease in glucose transport at both the mRNA and protein levels...
- Type 1 diabetes and pregnancyRoy Taylor
Newcastle University, and Royal Victoria Infirmary, Newcastle upon Tyne
BMJ 334:742-5. 2007
- Transgenic mice overproducing human thioredoxin-1, an antioxidative and anti-apoptotic protein, prevents diabetic embryopathyY Kamimoto
Department of Obstetrics and Gynecology, Mie University Graduate School of Medicine, Tsu, Mie, Japan
Diabetologia 53:2046-55. 2010..Using transgenic mice that overproduce human TRX-1 (TRX-Tg mice), we examined whether oxidative stress is involved in fetal dysmorphogenesis in diabetic pregnancies...
- Pregnancy in women with Type 2 diabetes: 12 years outcome data 1990-2002F Dunne
Department of Medicine, Division of Medical Sciences, University of Birmingham and Birmingham Women s Hospital Trust, Birmingham, UK
Diabet Med 20:734-8. 2003..Twelve years' outcome analysis of pregnancies in women with Type 2 diabetes in a multiethnic geographically defined area...
- Effect of Ginkgo biloba on the reproductive outcome and oxidative stress biomarkers of streptozotocin-induced diabetic ratsM V C Rudge
Laboratório de Pesquisa Experimental de Ginecologia e Obstetrícia, Departamento de Ginecologia e Obstetricia, Faculdade de Medicina de Botucatu, Universidade Estadual Paulista, 18618 000 Botucato, SP, Brazil
Braz J Med Biol Res 40:1095-9. 2007....
- Pregnancy-induced sight-threatening diabetic retinopathy in women with Type 1 diabetesM Vestgaard
Copenhagen Centre for Pregnant Women with Diabetes, Department of Endocrinology, Rigshospitalet, Faculty of Health Sciences, Copenhagen, Denmark
Diabet Med 27:431-5. 2010..To determine the progression of diabetic retinopathy in pregnant women with diabetes offered tight glycaemic and blood pressure control...
- Perinatal mortality and congenital anomalies in babies of women with type 1 or type 2 diabetes in England, Wales, and Northern Ireland: population based studyMary C M Macintosh
Confidential Enquiry into Maternal and Child Health, London NW1 5SD
BMJ 333:177. 2006..To provide perinatal mortality and congenital anomaly rates for babies born to women with type 1 or type 2 diabetes in England, Wales, and Northern Ireland...
- Secular trends in birth weight, BMI, and diabetes in the offspring of diabetic mothersR S Lindsay
National Institute of Diabetes and Digestive and Kidney Diseases, National Institute of Health, Phoenix, Arizona 85014, USA
Diabetes Care 23:1249-54. 2000..We hypothesized that, in light of the historical improvements in the management of diabetes during pregnancy, these late consequences of the early environment might be diminishing with time...
- Effectiveness of a regional prepregnancy care program in women with type 1 and type 2 diabetes: benefits beyond glycemic controlHelen R Murphy
Institute of Metabolic Science, University of Cambridge, Cambridge, UK
Diabetes Care 33:2514-20. 2010..To implement and evaluate a regional prepregnancy care program in women with type 1 and type 2 diabetes...
- Obstetric and perinatal outcomes in type 1 diabetic pregnancies: A large, population-based studyMartina Persson
Department of Clinical Science, Intervention and Technology, Karolinska Institute, Stockholm, Sweden
Diabetes Care 32:2005-9. 2009..To perform comparative analyses of obstetric and perinatal outcomes between type 1 diabetic pregnancies and the general obstetric population in Sweden between 1991 and 2003...
- Diabetes in pregnancy: a review of current evidenceNisha Kapoor
Maternal Medicine Unit, Epsom and St Helier University Hospitals NHS Trust, Surrey, UK
Curr Opin Obstet Gynecol 19:586-90. 2007..The results were exceptionally poor, suggesting the need for a new management approach. The aim of this review is to address these findings and our suggested care pathways...
- Macrosomic newborns of diabetic mothers are associated with increased aortic intima-media thickness and lipid concentrationsMustafa Akcakus
Division of Neonatology, Department of Paediatrics, Erciyes University School of Medicine, Kayseri, Turkey
Horm Res 67:277-83. 2007..We aimed to investigate relationship between abdominal aortic intima-media thickness (aIMT), LV mass and lipid profile in macrosomic newborns...
- Hyperglycemia: its imminent effects on mammalian nephrogenesisYashpal S Kanwar
Department of Pathology, Northwestern University Medical School, Chicago, IL, USA
Pediatr Nephrol 20:858-66. 2005..The latter findings suggest that disruption of epithelial:mesenchymal interactions may be the major event responsible for the metanephric dysmorphogenesis induced by high glucose ambience...
- Preconception care of women with diabetes: a review of current guideline recommendationsMaimunah Mahmud
Department of General Practice, School of Primary Health Care, Faculty of Medicine, Nursing and Health Sciences, Monash University, Victoria, Australia
BMC Womens Health 10:5. 2010....
- Women's perceptions of being pregnant and having pregestational diabetesTina Lavender
University of Manchester, School of Nursing, Midwifery and Social Work, Oxford Road, Manchester M13 9PL, UK
Midwifery 26:589-95. 2010..to explore the experiences of White British and South East Asian women with type 1 and type 2 diabetes, and the perceived impact of diabetes on their reproductive health...
- Hypoglycemia rates in the first days of life among term infants born to diabetic mothersAyala Maayan-Metzger
Department of Neonatology, The Edmond and Lili Safra Children s Hospital, Sheba Medical Center, Ramat Gan and Sackler Faculty of Medicine, Tel Aviv University, Tel Aviv, Israel
Neonatology 96:80-5. 2009..To discover the risk factors for developing hypoglycemia in newborns born to diabetic mothers and to characterize the rates of glucose concentrations in the first two days of life...
- Animal evidence for the transgenerational development of diabetes mellitusL Aerts
Department of Developmental Biology, UZ Gasthuisberg, KULeuven, Belgium
Int J Biochem Cell Biol 38:894-903. 2006..The concept of fetal origin of adult diabetes therefore is of major significance for public health in the immediate and the far future...
- Insulin resistance and impaired pancreatic β-cell function in adult offspring of women with diabetes in pregnancyLouise Kelstrup
Center for Pregnant Women with Diabetes, Department of Obstetrics, Research Unit 7821, Rigshospitalet, Copenhagen University Hospital, Blegdamsvej 9, DK 2100 Copenhagen, Denmark
J Clin Endocrinol Metab 98:3793-801. 2013..Offspring of women with diabetes during pregnancy have an increased risk of glucose intolerance in adulthood, but the underlying mechanisms are unknown...
- Apoptosis and its pathway in early post-implantation embryos of diabetic ratsFuyan Sun
Department of Metabolism Diabetes and Clinical Nutrition, Nagasaki University Hospital of Medicine and Dentistry, Nagasaki, Japan
Diabetes Res Clin Pract 67:110-8. 2005..These results suggest that a Bax-regulated mitochondrial cytochrome c-mediated caspase-3 activation pathway might be involved in the diabetic embryopathy...
- Maternal diabetes: effects on embryonic vascular development--a vascular endothelial growth factor-A-mediated processJoseph A Madri
Department of Pathology, Yale University School of Medicine, 310 Cedar Street, P O Box 208023, New Haven, CT 06520 8023, USA
Pediatr Dev Pathol 6:334-41. 2003..Further understanding of the effects of maternal diabetes on yolk sac and embryonic vasculogenesis/angiogenesis and organogenesis may lead to novel approaches in treating and preventing major birth defects...
- 'Programming' of orexigenic and anorexigenic hypothalamic neurons in offspring of treated and untreated diabetic mother ratsKerstin Franke
Clinic of Obstetrics, Division of Experimental Obstetrics, Charite University Medicine Berlin, Campus Virchow Klinikum, Augustenburger Platz 1, 13353 Berlin, Germany
Brain Res 1031:276-83. 2005..These acquired alterations are preventable by treatment of maternal GD...
- Maternal risk factors for congenital urinary anomalies: results of a population-based case-control studyMargarett Shnorhavorian
Department of Urology, University of Washington School of Medicine, Seattle, WA, USA
Urology 78:1156-61. 2011..The purpose of this study was to examine the association between maternal risk factors and CUTA in a population-based case-control study...
- French multicentric survey of outcome of pregnancy in women with pregestational diabetesPierre Boulot
Diabetes Care 26:2990-3. 2003..To evaluate perinatal outcome in pregnancies in women with type 1 and type 2 diabetes and the influence of preconception care 10 years after the St. Vincent's declaration...
- Factors influencing pregnancy outcome in women with type 2 versus type 1 diabetes mellitusNieves Luisa Gonzalez-Gonzalez
Department of Obstetrics and Gynecology, University Hospital of the Canary Islands, Tenerife, Spain
Acta Obstet Gynecol Scand 87:43-9. 2008..To compare pregnancy outcome and factors related to adverse perinatal outcome in women with type 1 versus type 2 diabetes mellitus (DM)...
- Outcomes of pregnancies in women with pre-existing type 1 or type 2 diabetes, in an ethnically mixed populationEvelyn C J Verheijen
Obstetrics and Gynaecology Department, Bradford Royal Infirmary, Duckworth Lane Bradford, West Yorkshire, UK
BJOG 112:1500-3. 2005..To compare the outcomes of pregnancies in women with pre-existing, type 1 and type 2, diabetes and to examine the influence of ethnicity on these outcomes...
- Hyperglycemia and apoptosis: mechanisms for congenital malformations and pregnancy loss in diabetic womenK H Moley
Dept of Obstetrics and Gynecology, Washington University, St Louis, MO 63110, USA
Trends Endocrinol Metab 12:78-82. 2001....
- Leptin concentrations in maternal serum and cord blood in diabetic and nondiabetic pregnancyJohn G Manderson
Royal Jubilee Maternity Hospital, Royal Victoria Hospital, Belfast, Northern Ireland, UK
Am J Obstet Gynecol 188:1326-32. 2003..The purpose of this study was to examine the relationships between maternal and cord leptin concentrations, maternal and neonatal outcomes, and measures of glycemic control in diabetic and nondiabetic pregnancy...
- Maternal diabetes and renal agenesis/dysgenesisErin M Davis
The University of Oklahoma Health Sciences Center, Oklahoma City, Oklahoma 73104, USA
Birth Defects Res A Clin Mol Teratol 88:722-7. 2010....
- Type 2 diabetes in pregnancy: a wolf in sheep's clothingN Wah Cheung
Centre for Diabetes and Endocrinology Research, Westmead Hospital, University of Sydney, Sydney, New South Wales, Australia
Aust N Z J Obstet Gynaecol 45:479-83. 2005..There is a need to highlight the dangers of type 2 diabetes in pregnancy to both patients and medical practitioners. Peri-conception care needs to improve to achieve better pregnancy outcomes...
- Diabetes mellitus in the First Nations population of British Columbia, Canada. Part 2. Hospital morbidityAndrew Jin
Health Canada, First Nations and Inuit Health Branch, Pacific Region, Vancouver, Canada
Int J Circumpolar Health 61:254-9. 2002..To describe hospitalization rates from diabetes mellitus or its complications among residents of the province of British Columbia, Canada during the 5-year period 1993 to 1997, comparing people with Indian Status to rest of the population...
- Maternal hypoglycemia during pregnancy in type 1 diabetes: maternal and fetal consequencesEdith W M T ter Braak
Department of Internal Medicine and Endocrinology, University Medical Center, Utrecht, The Netherlands
Diabetes Metab Res Rev 18:96-105. 2002..Efforts must be made to avoid low BG, i.e. <3.9 mmol/l, when tightening glycemic control...
- Increasing rate of diabetes in pregnancy among American Indian and white mothers in Montana and North Dakota, 1989-2000Kathleen R Moum
North Dakota Diabetes Prevention and Control Program, North Dakota Department of Health, Bismarck, North Dakota, USA
Matern Child Health J 8:71-6. 2004..The purpose of this study was to assess trends in diabetes in pregnancy in American Indian and whites mothers in Montana and North Dakota...
- Intensive glycemic control in diabetic pregnancy with intrauterine growth restriction is detrimental to fetusRakesh M Parikh
Department of Endocrinology, Seth GS Medical College and KEM Hospital, Parel, Mumbai 400 012, India
Med Hypotheses 69:203-5. 2007..Neonatal metabolic complications can be avoided by strict glycemic control during last two weeks of pregnancy...
- Management of diabetes in pregnancyJerasimos Ballas
Reproductive Medicine Department, University of California San Diego, 200 West Arbor Drive, San Diego, CA, USA
Curr Diab Rep 12:33-42. 2012..This article emphasizes the newest guidelines for diabetes screening in pregnancy while reviewing their potential impact on maternal and neonatal complications that arise in the setting of hyperglycemia in pregnancy...
- Growth hormone binding protein and maternal body mass index in relation to placental growth hormone and insulin requirements during pregnancy in type 1 diabetic womenJens Fuglsang
Gynecological Obstetrical Research laboratory Y, Aarhus University Hospital, Skejby Sygehus, DK 8200 Aarhus N, Denmark
Growth Horm IGF Res 15:223-30. 2005..The well-known association between GHBP and BMI was lost in late pregnancy. Calculated levels of free PGH were positively associated to fetal growth, but not to maternal insulin requirements...
- Impact of maternal diabetes mellitus on mortality and morbidity of preterm infants (24-33 weeks' gestation)Yoram Bental
Department of Neonatology, Laniado Hospital, Divrei Chaim St, Netanya 42150, Israel
Pediatrics 128:e848-55. 2011..We hypothesized that maternal diabetes mellitus (DM) increases the risk for mortality, respiratory distress syndrome (RDS), and major complications of prematurity...
- Prevalence and risk factors of cesarean section in a population of Tunisian diabetic pregnant womenWalid Denguezli
Department of Obstetric and Gynaecology, Fattouma Bourguiba reaching Hospital Monastir Tunisia
Tunis Med 85:935-40. 2007..To determine the rate of and indication of cesarean section among women with preexisting and gestational diabetes mellitus compared with glucose-tolerant women...
- Association between 5 min Apgar scores and planned mode of delivery in diabetic pregnanciesAndrea E Stuart
Department of Obstetrics and Gynecology, Central Hospital, Helsingborg, Sweden
Acta Obstet Gynecol Scand 90:325-31. 2011..Due to the high incidence of neonatal complications in diabetic pregnancies, the aim of our study was to investigate whether elective cesarean section could prevent adverse neonatal outcome...
- A comparison of foetal and labour outcomes in Caucasian and Afro-Caribbean women with diabetes in pregnancyT Chaudhry
Department of Medicine, University of Birmingham, Birmingham, UK
Int J Clin Pract 58:932-6. 2004..Variations in culture or access to health care may account for these differences. An awareness of the specific needs of ethnic minorities is essential to ensure that this encouraging trend continues...
- High glucose promotes nascent nephron apoptosis via NF-kappaB and p53 pathwaysYun Wen Chen
Universite de Montreal, Centre de recherche du Centre Hospitalier de l Universite de Montreal, CRCHUM, Hopital Hotel Dieu, Pavillon Masson, 3850 Saint Urbain St, Montreal, Quebec, Canada H2W 1T7
Am J Physiol Renal Physiol 300:F147-56. 2011..Our data demonstrate that high glucose-induced nascent nephron apoptosis is mediated, at least in part, via ROS generation and the activation of NF-κB and p53 pathways...
- Trends and disparities among diabetes-complicated births in Minnesota, 1993-2003Heather M Devlin
Minnesota Diabetes Program, Minnesota Department of Health, PO Box 64882, St Paul, MN 55164 0882, USA
Am J Public Health 98:59-62. 2008..8, respectively). Increases were significant in all demographic groups except gestational diabetes among American Indian mothers, and disparities worsened among all groups. Targeted interventions and surveillance improvements are needed...
- Use of insulin pumps in pregnancies complicated by type 2 diabetes and gestational diabetes in a multiethnic communityD Simmons
Department of Rural Health, University of Melbourne, Shepparton, Victoria, Australia
Diabetes Care 24:2078-82. 2001..To describe the use of insulin pump therapy in women with gestational diabetes mellitus (GDM) or type 2 diabetes in pregnancy and persistent hyperglycemia despite multiple injections of subcutaneous insulin...
- [Gestational diabetes and urinary tract malformations: a hospital case-control study]Arnaud Fotso Kamdem
Service de Chirurgie Pédiatrique et Orthopédique, Hopital Saint Jacques, Besancon, France
Prog Urol 15:53-8. 2005..The purpose of this study was to assess the role of insulin-requiring gestational diabetes on the development of ureteric malformations in children...
- Perinatal outcomes and macrosomia in a multi-ethnic population of women with type 2 diabetesRuth Hughes
Department of General Medicine, Christchurch Hospital, Christchurch, New Zealand
Aust N Z J Obstet Gynaecol 46:552-5. 2006..Asian women had significantly smaller babies and lower rates of macrosomia as defined by standard growth charts. Other outcomes were similar between the Asian, European and Polynesian women...
- Intrauterine growth retardation in experimental diabetes: possible role of the placentaR Padmanabhan
Department of Anatomy, Faculty of Medicine and Health Sciences, UAE University, Al Ain, United Arab Emirates
Arch Physiol Biochem 109:260-71. 2001..The consistent association of placental pathology with fetal growth retardation is suggestive of an alteration in placental function possibly contributing to IUGR in STZ-induced diabetes in rats...
- The effect of pregnancy on the natural history of diabetic retinopathy and nephropathyJ Star
Division of Maternal Fetal Medicine, Women and Infants Hospital, Brown University School of Medicine, Providence, Rhode Island, USA
Clin Perinatol 25:887-916. 1998..Fortunately, with intensive medical surveillance and appropriate interventions, most women with types 1 and 2 diabetes mellitus can be offered an optimistic prognosis for child bearing...
- A review of maternal and fetal growth factors in diabetic pregnancyMary Higgins
University College Dublin School of Medicine and Medical Science, Obstetrics and Gynaecology, National Materntity Hospital, Dublin 2, Ireland
Curr Diabetes Rev 6:116-25. 2010..It is now evident that control of fetal growth, in normal as well as diabetic pregnancies, is far more complex than previously thought...
- Prevention of gestational diabetes mellitus: a review of studies on weight managementAnne Sophie Morisset
Endocrinology and Genomics, Laval University Medical Research Center, Quebec City, Quebec, Canada
Diabetes Metab Res Rev 26:17-25. 2010..Further studies are required to identify the most effective diet composition to prevent GDM and excessive gestational weight gain...
- Risk indicators predictive for severe hypoglycemia during the first trimester of type 1 diabetic pregnancyInge M Evers
Department of Obstetrics, Utrecht University, University Medical Center, Utrecht, The Netherlands
Diabetes Care 25:554-9. 2002....
- Juggling type 1 diabetes and pregnancy in rural AustraliaRosemary King
School of Nursing, University of Ballarat, PO Box 663, Ballarat, 3353, Victoria, Australia
Midwifery 25:126-33. 2009..Additionally, we aimed to describe the women's engagement with, and expectations of, health-care providers during this period, and subsequently highlight potential service and informational gaps...
- A Run-to-Run Algorithm for Glucose RegulationLois Jovanovic; Fiscal Year: 2005..The exchange of personnel will be facilitated, allowing the student and post-doc supported on this project to work at both the institute and the university over the span of the project ..
- Sub Clinical Cardiovascular Disease in Youth (SEARCH CVD)Dana Dabelea; Fiscal Year: 2010..This study will advance our understanding of the natural history of early CVD in youth, and will provide insights into the mechanisms from which strategies to prevent or limit vascular disease in individuals with T1D can be developed. ..
- Pathobiology of HMG-CoA reductase inhibitors in diabetesYashpal Kanwar; Fiscal Year: 2006....
- GLOMERULAR CAPILLARY WALL--NORMAL AND PATHOLOGICYashpal Kanwar; Fiscal Year: 2008..Null alleles will be interbred to generate Null -/- mutant as a conventional KO mice with ablation of the TIN-ag gene. ..
- PROMOTING HEALTHY LIFESTYLES AMONG WOMENEdith Kieffer; Fiscal Year: 2006..Measures will be collected at 10-14 weeks, -26 weeks and -36 weeks of gestation and -6 weeks postpartum. ..
- Pregnancy and Risk Factors for CVD and Type 2 DiabetesErica Gunderson; Fiscal Year: 2006..The study will also assess whether breastfeeding has beneficial effects on risk factors that may help prevent heart disease and diabetes in women. ..
- Improving Outcomes in Underserved Women with GDMCarol Homko; Fiscal Year: 2007..We expect that Telemonitoring will improve maternal glucose control and lead to reductions in birth weight. [unreadable] [unreadable] [unreadable]..
- MOLECULAR MECHANISMS IN DIABETIC EMBRYOPATHYCLAUDIA T KAPPEN; Fiscal Year: 2010..These experiments will generate new and comprehensive insights into the function of pancreatic transcription factors and their pathogenic potential in metabolic disease and fetal development. ..
- PATHOLOGY OF ENDOTHELIAL NEOVASCULARIZATIONJoseph Madri; Fiscal Year: 2008..abstract_text> ..
- Signaling Dynamics of Leukocyte-Tumor Cell InteractionsHOWARD PETTY; Fiscal Year: 2008..These new insights are likely to lead to advances in immunotherapy of cancer. ..
- Coordination of fetal growth by nutrient availabilityNICHOLAS ILLSLEY; Fiscal Year: 2008..abstract_text> ..
- Genetic dissection of skeletal patterningClaudia Kappen; Fiscal Year: 2006..The identification of modifier loci that act on skeletal patterning will reveal new molecular mechanisms in skeletal development and has important implications for the evolution of vertebrate body plans. ..
- Proteinase Modulation Diring T-Cell Endothelial AdhesionJoseph A Madri; Fiscal Year: 2010..Specifically we will use WT, CD31 KO, MMP-2 KO, MMP-9 KO, MMP-14 and -/- and CD44 KO mice, and bone marrow chimeric mice generated from these mice. ..
- OMEGA-3 SUPPLMENTATION DECREASES INFLAMMATION AND FETAL OBESITY IN PREGNANCYSylvie Hauguel De Mouzon; Fiscal Year: 2010..Pretiminary data witt also be obtained on fetat body composition in order to later address the prevention of the long term adverse effects (devetopmental programming) of maternal obesity in the developing fetus. ..
- WATCHING TARGET CELL OXIDATION AND CYTOLYSISHOWARD PETTY; Fiscal Year: 2001..Our studies will determine the nature and mechanisms of inter-receptor interactions, which may lead to the development of new anti-inflammatory agents. ..
- Mechanisms Regulating Neutrophil Activation in PregnancyHOWARD PETTY; Fiscal Year: 2005..abstract_text> ..
- DEVELOPMENT OF A HUMAN PLACENTA VILLOUS MICROPERFUSIONNICHOLAS ILLSLEY; Fiscal Year: 2002..This model will provide the basis for new investigations in placental transport, metabolism, and signaling and structural biology. ..
- Placenta Association of the Americas satellite meetingNICHOLAS ILLSLEY; Fiscal Year: 2002..These meetings have been very successful previously and continue to grow in size; we had approximately 200 attendees last year and expect to exceed that at the next meeting. ..
- FUNCTION OF B-DEFENSINS IN COMMON ORAL INFECTIONSJanet Guthmiller; Fiscal Year: 2002....
- PLACENTAL GLUCOSE TRANSPORT IN DIABETIC PREGNANCIESNICHOLAS ILLSLEY; Fiscal Year: 2002..The information obtained from these experimental approaches will significantly advance our understanding of the fetal response to maternal diabetes and the factors generating adverse perinatal consequences. ..
- FOLATE AND HOX GENES IN CRANIOFACIAL DEVELOPMENTClaudia Kappen; Fiscal Year: 2003..Knowledge about the interactions of genes with environmental factors will be important for designing therapeutic strategies and preventive measures against craniofacial defects. ..
- CENTER FOR STUDY OF GROWTH REGULATION IN HUMAN PREGNANCYPatrick Catalano; Fiscal Year: 2004..abstract_text> ..
- Mentored Patient-Oriented Research Career Development AwEdmund Funai; Fiscal Year: 2004....
- Genome-wide discovery of beta cell gene control elementsClaudia Kappen; Fiscal Year: 2004..Together, our studies will show how speck gene expression is achieved in beta cells and provide a framework to integrate gene transcription and beta cell biology. ..
- Placenta Association of the Americas Conference GrantNICHOLAS ILLSLEY; Fiscal Year: 2007..Additional support is being sought from foundations and private corporations. ..
- Nutrition, Early Development and Glucose MetabolismPatricia Vuguin; Fiscal Year: 2007..abstract_text> ..
- Genital Ulcer Disease and HIV TransmissionJeanne Sheffield; Fiscal Year: 2005..The pursuit of these aims will further elucidate the cellular and molecular bases of the interrelationship between GUD and HIV-1 transmission, particularly in women. ..
- Reproductive Health Intervention for Teen Girls with DMDenise Charron Prochownik; Fiscal Year: 2009..Thus setting new standards of practice, focusing on empowering teens with DM to make informed choices, and potentially improving their reproductive health and the health of their future children. ..
- CONSTRUCTION OF RESEARCH ANIMAL FACILITYDonald Wilson; Fiscal Year: 2002..The proposed project, which will be co-financed by contributions from the State of Maryland, therefore, considered instrumental for sustaining the stature of the MPRC in schizophrenia research. ..
- GENERAL CLINICAL RESEARCH CENTERE Reece; Fiscal Year: 2009..During the upcoming grant period, we anticipate the planning and funding of the UM Clinical and Translational Science Center. ..
- The Role of Inflammation and Parity on GDM and Type 2 DMWanda Nicholson; Fiscal Year: 2008..This award will give Dr. Nicholson the dedicated time and experience she needs to develop into an independent clinical investigator [unreadable] [unreadable]..
- GENERAL CLINICAL RESEARCH CENTERAUBREY MD HOUGH; Fiscal Year: 2006..In this second funding cycle, the UAMS GCRC will continue expanding campus-wide clinical investigation. Support from all three sister institutions will continue to ensure GCRC success. ..
- Cancer Center Renovation GrantDonald Wilson; Fiscal Year: 2004....
- Human Subjects Research Electronic Tracking SystemDonald Wilson; Fiscal Year: 2003..WVU has a different organizational structure, a different information technology network, and different human subjects research emphasis from the University of Maryland School of Medicine. ..
- EXTRAMURAL RESEARCH FACILITIES IMPROVEMENT PROVEMENTDonald Wilson; Fiscal Year: 2003....
- The Effectiveness of Treatment for Adult PeriodontitisPhilippe Hujoel; Fiscal Year: 2006..This information can help determine in what area of periodontal research definitive clinical trials may offer the greatest contribution. ..
- Mentored Patient Oriented Career Development AwardJames Nicholson; Fiscal Year: 2006..abstract_text> ..
- Brown University BIRCWH Career Development ProgramDONALD COUSTAN; Fiscal Year: 2006..This interdisciplinary and cross-institutional program will provide a new cadre of academic investigators who will further the scientific database and improved the health status of women. ..