Genomes and Genes
Summary: A condition in which functional endometrial tissue is present outside the UTERUS. It is often confined to the PELVIS involving the OVARY, the ligaments, cul-de-sac, and the uterovesical peritoneum.
Publications304 found, 100 shown here
- The pains of endometriosisKaren J Berkley
Program in Neuroscience, Department of Psychology, Florida State University, Tallahassee, FL 32306, USA
Science 308:1587-9. 2005b>Endometriosis is a disease defined by the presence of endometrial tissue outside of the uterus. Severe pelvic pain is often associated with endometriosis, and this pain can be diminished with therapies that suppress estrogen production...
- ARID1A mutations in endometriosis-associated ovarian carcinomasKimberly C Wiegand
British Columbia Cancer Agency, Vancouver, Canada
N Engl J Med 363:1532-43. 2010Ovarian clear-cell and endometrioid carcinomas may arise from endometriosis, but the molecular events involved in this transformation have not been described.
- EndometriosisLinda C Giudice
Division of Reproductive Endocrinology and Infertility, Center for Research on Women s Health and Reproduction, Department of Obstetrics and Gynecology, Stanford University School of Medicine, Stanford, CA 94305 5317, USA
Lancet 364:1789-99. 2004b>Endometriosis is an oestrogen-dependent disorder that can result in substantial morbidity, including pelvic pain, multiple operations, and infertility...
- Association between endometriosis and risk of histological subtypes of ovarian cancer: a pooled analysis of case-control studiesCeleste Leigh Pearce
Department of Preventive Medicine, University of Southern California, Los Angeles, CA, USA
Lancet Oncol 13:385-94. 2012b>Endometriosis is a risk factor for epithelial ovarian cancer; however, whether this risk extends to all invasive histological subtypes or borderline tumours is not clear...
- Progesterone action in endometrial cancer, endometriosis, uterine fibroids, and breast cancerJ Julie Kim
Division of Reproductive Biology Research, Northwestern University, Feinberg School of Medicine, Chicago, IL 60611, USA
Endocr Rev 34:130-62. 2013..Pathologies of the uterus and breast, including endometrial cancer, endometriosis, uterine fibroids, and breast cancer, are highly associated with estrogen, considered to be the mitogenic ..
- Genome-wide association meta-analysis identifies new endometriosis risk lociDale R Nyholt
Queensland Institute of Medical Research, Brisbane, Queensland, Australia
Nat Genet 44:1355-9. 2012We conducted a genome-wide association meta-analysis of 4,604 endometriosis cases and 9,393 controls of Japanese and European ancestry. We show that rs12700667 on chromosome 7p15...
- Estimation and partitioning of polygenic variation captured by common SNPs for Alzheimer's disease, multiple sclerosis and endometriosisS Hong Lee
The University of Queensland, Queensland Brain Institute, Brisbane, QLD 4072, Australia
Hum Mol Genet 22:832-41. 2013Common diseases such as endometriosis (ED), Alzheimer's disease (AD) and multiple sclerosis (MS) account for a significant proportion of the health care burden in many countries...
- The expression profile of micro-RNA in endometrium and endometriosis and the influence of ovarian steroids on their expressionQun Pan
Department of Obstetrics Gynecology, University of Florida, Box 100294, Gainesville, FL 32610, USA
Mol Hum Reprod 13:797-806. 2007..Our aim was to identify specific miRNAs that are expressed in endometrium of women with and without endometriosis. We profiled the expression of 287 miRNAs in paired eutopic and ectopic endometrium and isolated endometrial ..
- The burden of endometriosis: costs and quality of life of women with endometriosis and treated in referral centresSteven Simoens
Katholieke Universiteit Leuven, Leuven, Belgium
Hum Reprod 27:1292-9. 2012This study aimed to calculate costs and health-related quality of life of women with endometriosis-associated symptoms treated in referral centres.
- Pathogenesis and pathophysiology of endometriosisRichard O Burney
Division of Reproductive Endocrinology and Infertility, Department of Obstetrics and Gynecology, Madigan Healthcare System, Tacoma, Washington, USA
Fertil Steril 98:511-9. 2012Originally described over three hundred years ago, endometriosis is classically defined by the presence of endometrial glands and stroma in extrauterine locations...
- Endometriosis and infertility: pathophysiology and managementDominique DE Ziegler
Universite Paris Descartes, Centre Hospitalier Universitaire Cochin, Service de Gynécologie Obstétrique II et Médecine de la Reproduction, Paris, France
Lancet 376:730-8. 2010b>Endometriosis and infertility are associated clinically. Medical and surgical treatments for endometriosis have different effects on a woman's chances of conception, either spontaneously or via assisted reproductive technologies (ART)...
- MicroRNA-regulated pathways associated with endometriosisE Maria C Ohlsson Teague
Research Centre for Reproductive Health, University of Adelaide, South Australia 5005, Australia
Mol Endocrinol 23:265-75. 2009b>Endometriosis is a prevalent gynecological disease characterized by growth of endometriotic tissue outside the uterine cavity...
- Pain and ovarian endometrioma recurrence after laparoscopic treatment of endometriosis: a long-term prospective studyMaria Grazia Porpora
Department of Gynecology and Obstetrics, University of Rome Sapienza, Viale Regina Elena, 324 00161 Rome, Italy
Fertil Steril 93:716-21. 2010..To identify prognostic factors for pain and endometrioma recurrence after complete laparoscopic excision of endometrioma(s)...
- Gene expression profile for ectopic versus eutopic endometrium provides new insights into endometriosis oncogenic potentialBruno Borghese
Institut Cochin, Universite Paris Descartes, Centre National de la Recherche Scientifique Unite Mixte de Recherche 8104, Paris, France
Mol Endocrinol 22:2557-62. 2008b>Endometriosis is a common gynecological disorder characterized by pain and infertility, where the lesions disseminate everywhere in the body with a preference for the pelvis...
- Role of cytokines in endometriosisT Harada
Department of Obstetrics and Gynecology, Tottori University School of Medicine, Yonago, Japan
Fertil Steril 76:1-10. 2001OBJECTIVE: To review the literature on the role of cytokines in the pathogenesis of endometriosis and endometriosis-associated infertility. DESIGN: Pertinent studies were identified by a computer search of MEDLINE...
- Genome-wide association study identifies a locus at 7p15.2 associated with endometriosisJodie N Painter
Molecular Epidemiology, Queensland Institute of Medical Research, Herston, Queensland, Australia
Nat Genet 43:51-4. 2011b>Endometriosis is a common gynecological disease associated with pelvic pain and subfertility...
- Expression of hepatocyte nuclear factor-1beta (HNF-1beta) in clear cell tumors and endometriosis of the ovaryNoriko Kato
Department of Pathology, Yamagata University School of Medicine, Yamagata, Japan
Mod Pathol 19:83-9. 2006Clear cell tumors of the ovary are frequently associated with ovarian endometriosis. Clinicopathologically, it has been suggested that clear cell tumors develop from endometriosis, but there has been little molecular evidence supporting ..
- Circulating microRNAs identified in a genome-wide serum microRNA expression analysis as noninvasive biomarkers for endometriosisWen Tao Wang
Department of Obstetrics and Gynecology, Sun Yat Sen Memorial Hospital, Guangzhou 510120, People s Republic of China
J Clin Endocrinol Metab 98:281-9. 2013There is currently no reliable noninvasive biomarker for the clinical diagnosis of endometriosis. Previous analyses have reported that circulating microRNAs (miRNAs) can serve as biomarkers for a number of diseases.
- Epithelial to mesenchymal transition-like and mesenchymal to epithelial transition-like processes might be involved in the pathogenesis of pelvic endometriosisSachiko Matsuzaki
CHU Clermont Ferrand, CHU Estaing, Chirurgie Gynécologique, 1, place Lucie Aubrac, 63003 Clermont Ferrand, France
Hum Reprod 27:712-21. 2012..We hypothesized that pelvic endometriosis originates from retrograde menstruation of endometrial tissue and that EMT-like and MET-like processes might ..
- Promoter methylation regulates estrogen receptor 2 in human endometrium and endometriosisQing Xue
Division of Reproductive Biology Research, Department of Obsterics and Gynecology, Feinberg School of Medicine, Northwestern University, Chicago, Illinois 60611, USA
Biol Reprod 77:681-7. 2007Steroid receptors in the stromal cells of endometrium and its disease counterpart tissue endometriosis play critical physiologic roles...
- Promoter hypermethylation of progesterone receptor isoform B (PR-B) in endometriosisYan Wu
Department of Pediatrics, Medical College of Wisconsin, Milwaukee, Wisconsin 53226 0509, USA
Epigenetics 1:106-11. 2006..Progestins have long been used in the treatment of endometriosis but unfortunately the relief of pain is relatively short-term...
- Contents of endometriotic cysts, especially the high concentration of free iron, are a possible cause of carcinogenesis in the cysts through the iron-induced persistent oxidative stressKen Yamaguchi
Department of Gynecology and Obstetrics, Graduate School of Medicine, Kyoto University, Kyoto, Japan
Clin Cancer Res 14:32-40. 2008....
- Human uterine stem/progenitor cells: their possible role in uterine physiology and pathologyTetsuo Maruyama
Department of Obstetrics and Gynaecology, School of Medicine, Keio University, Shinjuku, Tokyo 160 8582, Japan
Reproduction 140:11-22. 2010..We also propose a novel hypothetical model in which stem cell activities explain the physiological remodelling and regeneration of the human uterus and the pathogenesis of gynaecological diseases such as endometriosis.
- Serum HE4 concentration differentiates malignant ovarian tumours from ovarian endometriotic cystsK Huhtinen
Department of Physiology, Institute of Biomedicine, University of Turku, Turku, Finland
Br J Cancer 100:1315-9. 2009..concentrations together with a tumour marker CA125 in serum samples of women diagnosed with various types of endometriosis, endometrial cancer or ovarian cancer, and in samples from healthy controls...
- Oxidative stress may be a piece in the endometriosis puzzleMałgorzata Szczepańska
Department of Gynecology and Obstetrics, Division of Reproduction, Karol Marcinkowski University of Medical Sciences, Poznan, Poland
Fertil Steril 79:1288-93. 2003To assess the total antioxidant potential of women with endometriosis-associated infertility, women with idiopathic infertility, and fertile controls.
- Meta-analysis of genome-wide association scans for genetic susceptibility to endometriosis in Japanese populationSosuke Adachi
Department of Obstetrics and Gynecology, Niigata University Graduate School of Medical and Dental Sciences, 1 757 Asahimachi dori, Niigata, Japan
J Hum Genet 55:816-21. 2010To identify susceptibility genes for endometriosis in Japanese women, genome-wide association (GWA) analysis was performed using two case-control cohorts genotyped with the Affymetrix Mapping 500K Array or Genome-Wide Human SNP Array 6.0...
- Increased mitogen-activated protein kinase kinase/extracellularly regulated kinase activity in human endometrial stromal fibroblasts of women with endometriosis reduces 3',5'-cyclic adenosine 5'-monophosphate inhibition of cyclin D1Michael C Velarde
Department of Obstetrics, Center for Reproductive Sciences, University of California San Francisco, San Francisco, California 94143 0132, USA
Endocrinology 150:4701-12. 2009b>Endometriosis is characterized by endometrial tissue growth outside the uterus, due primarily to survival, proliferation, and neoangiogenesis of eutopic endometrial cells and fragments refluxed into the peritoneal cavity during menses...
- Medical management of endometriosis: emerging evidence linking inflammation to disease pathophysiologyK L Bruner-Tran
Department of Obstetrics and Gynecology, Vanderbilt University School of Medicine, Nashville, TN, USA
Minerva Ginecol 65:199-213. 2013..However, in women with endometriosis, endometrial progesterone resistance, characterized by alterations in progesterone responsive gene and protein ..
- Vasculogenesis: a new piece of the endometriosis puzzleM W Laschke
Institute for Clinical and Experimental Surgery, University of Saarland, Homburg Saar, Germany
Hum Reprod Update 17:628-36. 2011BACKGROUND; Endometriosis is a complex disease with a multifactorial pathogenesis, which is crucially dependent on the development of new blood vessels...
- Oral contraceptives and endometriosis: the past use of oral contraceptives for treating severe primary dysmenorrhea is associated with endometriosis, especially deep infiltrating endometriosisCharles Chapron
Service de Gynécologie Obstétrique II and Reproductive Medicine, Universite Paris Descartes, Faculte de Medecine, Assistance Publique Hopitaux de Paris, Groupe Hospitalier Universitaire Ouest, Centre Hospitalier Universitaire Cochin Saint Vincent de Paul, Paris, France
Hum Reprod 26:2028-35. 2011The relationship between the use of oral contraception (OC) and endometriosis remains controversial...
- A genome-wide association study identifies genetic variants in the CDKN2BAS locus associated with endometriosis in JapaneseSatoko Uno
Institute of Medical Science, The University of Tokyo, Tokyo, Japan
Nat Genet 42:707-10. 2010Although the pathogenesis of endometriosis is not well understood, genetic factors have been considered to have critical roles in its etiology...
- Feasibility of 3.0T pelvic MR imaging in the evaluation of endometriosisL Manganaro
Umberto I Hospital, Radiological Science Department, Sapienza University of Rome, Viale R Elena 324, Italy
Eur J Radiol 81:1381-7. 2012b>Endometriosis represents an important clinical problem in women of reproductive age with high impact on quality of life, work productivity and health care management...
- Impact of endometriosis on quality of life and work productivity: a multicenter study across ten countriesKelechi E Nnoaham
Department of Public Health, University of Oxford, Oxford, UK
Fertil Steril 96:366-373.e8. 2011To assess the impact of endometriosis on health-related quality of life (HRQoL) and work productivity.
- The expression of estrogen receptors as well as GREB1, c-MYC, and cyclin D1, estrogen-regulated genes implicated in proliferation, is increased in peritoneal endometriosisChiara Pellegrini
Department of Gynecology, Obstetrics and Medical Genetics, Lausanne University Hospital, Lausanne, Switzerland
Fertil Steril 98:1200-8. 2012To analyze the expression of estrogen receptors α and β as well as their target genes implicated in proliferation, c-myc, cyclin D1, and GREB1, in the endometrium of women with or without endometriosis.
- Ileocolic intussusception due to a cecal endometriosis: case report and review of literatureRivkine Emmanuel
Department of Digestive and Endocrine Surgery, University Hospital Jean Verdier, Assistance Publique Hopitaux de Paris, Avenue du 14 Juillet, 93140 Bondy, Paris, France
Diagn Pathol 7:62. 2012Cecal endometriosis and ileocolic intussusception due to a cecal endometriosis is extremely rare. We report a case of a woman who presented an ileocecal intussusception due to a cecal endometriosis...
- Reproductive performance, pain recurrence and disease relapse after conservative surgical treatment for endometriosis: the predictive value of the current classification systemPaolo Vercellini
First Department of Obstetrics and Gynaecology, University of Milano, Italy
Hum Reprod 21:2679-85. 2006To assess the predictive value of the current classification of endometriosis in terms of response to surgical treatment, we studied to what extent disease stage, lesion type and lesion site were associated with post-operative pregnancy ..
- Treating endometriosis as an autoimmune diseaseW B Nothnick
Department of Obstetrics and Gynecology, University of Kansas Medical Center, Kansas City, Kansas 66160, USA
Fertil Steril 76:223-31. 2001To review the literature on the role of autoimmunity in the etiology of endometriosis, compare the similarities in the pathophysiologies between endometriosis and autoimmune diseases, and discuss the use of immunomodulators currently ..
- Incidence of endometriosis by study population and diagnostic method: the ENDO studyGermaine M Buck Louis
Division of Epidemiology, Statistics, and Prevention Research, Eunice Kennedy Shriver National Institute of Child Health and Human Development, National Institutes of Health, Rockville, Maryland 20852, USA
Fertil Steril 96:360-5. 2011To estimate the incidence of endometriosis in an operative cohort of women seeking clinical care and in a matched population cohort to delineate more fully the scope and magnitude of endometriosis in the context of and beyond clinical ..
- In vitro fertilization is a successful treatment in endometriosis-associated infertilityHans Kristian Opøien
Section for Reproductive Medicine, Department of Gynaecology, Oslo University Hospital Rikshospitalet, Oslo, Norway
Fertil Steril 97:912-8. 2012To assess success rates of IVF and intracytoplasmic sperm injection in women with various stages of endometriosis.
- Molecular profiling of experimental endometriosis identified gene expression patterns in common with human diseaseIdhaliz Flores
Department of Microbiology, Ponce School of Medicine, Ponce, Puerto Rico
Fertil Steril 87:1180-99. 2007To validate a rat model of endometriosis using complimentary DNA (cDNA) microarrays by identifying common gene expression patterns between experimental and natural disease.
- Ovarian endometrioma: severe pelvic pain is associated with deeply infiltrating endometriosisCharles Chapron
Universite Paris Descartes, Sorbonne Paris Cité, Faculte de Medecine, Assistance Publique Hopitaux de Paris, Groupe Hospitalier Universitaire Ouest, Centre Hospitalier Universitaire Cochin Saint Vincent de Paul, Department of Gynecology Obstetrics II and Reproductive Medicine Professor Chapron, Paris, France
Hum Reprod 27:702-11. 2012..The objective of this study was to evaluate the significance of severe preoperative pain for patients presenting with ovarian endometrioma (OMA)...
- Host-derived TGFB1 deficiency suppresses lesion development in a mouse model of endometriosisM Louise Hull
The Robinson Institute, Research Centre for Reproductive Health, and School of Paediatrics and Reproductive Health, University of Adelaide, Adelaide, Australia
Am J Pathol 180:880-7. 2012..multifunctional cytokine that is abundant in both endometriotic lesions and the peritoneal fluid in women with endometriosis. However, the role of TGFB1 in the development of endometriosis is as yet undefined...
- Endobronchial endometriosis presenting as central-type lung cancer: a case reportJuan Han Yu
Department of Pathology, The First Affiliated Hospital and College of Basic Medical Sciences, China Medical University, Shenyang 110001, China
Diagn Pathol 8:53. 2013..This patient was diagnosed clinically as "possibly central-type lung cancer". However, the pathologic result of the surgically excised polypoid lesion was endobronchial endometriosis.
- Suppression of matrix metalloproteinase-9 by prostaglandin E(2) in peritoneal macrophage is associated with severity of endometriosisMeng Hsing Wu
Department of Obstetrics and Gynecology, National Cheng Kung University Medical College, Tainan, Taiwan, Republic of China
Am J Pathol 167:1061-9. 2005Decreased phagocytotic ability of macrophages has been reported to be associated with the severity of endometriosis, although the underlying mechanism remains uncharacterized...
- The role of prostaglandin E2 in endometriosisKeith Sacco
Department of Anatomy, Faculty of Medicine and Surgery, University of Malta, Tal Qroqq, Msida MSD, Malta
Gynecol Endocrinol 28:134-8. 2012b>Endometriosis is a leading cause of infertility in women of reproductive age. It involves the occurrence of endometrial tissue outside the uterine endometrium, mainly in the peritoneal cavity...
- An Italian association study and meta-analysis with previous GWAS confirm WNT4, CDKN2BAS and FN1 as the first identified susceptibility loci for endometriosisLuca Pagliardini
Obstetrics and Gynecology Unit, San Raffaele Scientific Institute, Milano, Italy
J Med Genet 50:43-6. 2013Although endometriosis may benefit from primary prevention measures, the epidemiological risk factors identified are equivocal...
- Deep infiltrating endometriosis is associated with markedly lower body mass index: a 476 case-control studyMarie Christine Lafay Pillet
Service de Gynécologie Obstétrique II, Universite Paris Descartes, Faculte de Medecine, Assistance Publique Hopitaux de Paris AP HP, Groupe Hospitalier Universitaire GHU Ouest, Centre Hospitalier Universitaire CHU Cochin Saint Vincent de Paul, France
Hum Reprod 27:265-72. 2012An inverse association between BMI and endometriosis has been reported but remains controversial...
- The association between endometriosis and ovarian cancer: a review of histological, genetic and molecular alterationsPeter Svenssen Munksgaard
Department of Gynecology and Obstetrics, Aarhus University Hospital, Skejby, Denmark
Gynecol Oncol 124:164-9. 2012This article represents a review of histologic and genetic findings in endometriosis and describes the mechanisms whereby genetic and non-genetic factors potentially contribute to the neoplastic progression of endometriosis.
- Prevalence and incidence of diagnosed endometriosis and risk of endometriosis in patients with endometriosis-related symptoms: findings from a statutory health insurance-based cohort in GermanySascha Abbas
PMV Research Group at Department of Child and Adolescent Psychiatry and Psychotherapy, University of Cologne, Herderstr 52, 50931 Cologne, Germany
Eur J Obstet Gynecol Reprod Biol 160:79-83. 2012The objectives were: (a) to determine the administrative prevalence and incidence of endometriosis and (b) to assess the risk of endometriosis associated with endometriosis-related symptoms.
- Endometriosis and mechanisms of pelvic painFred M Howard
Department of Obstetrics and Gynecology, University of Rochester School of Medicine and Dentistry, Rochester, New York 14642, USA
J Minim Invasive Gynecol 16:540-50. 2009b>Endometriosis remains an enigmatic disorder in that the cause, the natural history, and the precise mechanisms by which it causes pain are not completely understood...
- Experimental murine endometriosis induces DNA methylation and altered gene expression in eutopic endometriumBanghyun Lee
Department of Obstetrics, Gynecology and Reproductive Sciences, Yale University School of Medicine, New Haven, Connecticut 06520, USA
Biol Reprod 80:79-85. 2009The eutopic endometrium in women with endometriosis demonstrates diminished endometrial receptivity and altered gene expression...
- The effects of post-surgical administration of goserelin plus anastrozole compared to goserelin alone in patients with severe endometriosis: a prospective randomized trialSeyide Soysal
Department of Obstetrics and Gynecology, Pamukkale University Medical Center, 20100 Denizli, Turkey
Hum Reprod 19:160-7. 2004Among patients using GnRH analogues for endometriosis it has been postulated that peripheral and inflammation-induced in-situ aromatization of adrenal androgens are probably the main reasons for the high rates of failure during follow-up...
- The role of microRNAs in endometriosis and associated reproductive conditionsE Maria C Ohlsson Teague
School of Paediatrics and Reproductive Health, Research Centre for Reproductive Health, Discipline of Obstetrics and Gynaecology, University of Adelaide, Adelaide, SA 5005, Australia
Hum Reprod Update 16:142-65. 2010..Recent research has shown that miRNAs and their target mRNAs are differentially expressed in endometriosis and other disorders of the female reproductive system...
- Endometriosis and pelvic pain: epidemiological evidence of the relationship and implicationsA Fauconnier
Unité INSERM 149, Recherches épidémiologiques en santé périnatale et santé des femmes, Port Royal, Paris, France
Hum Reprod Update 11:595-606. 2005The relationship between chronic pelvic pain symptoms and endometriosis is unclear because painful symptoms are frequent in women without this pathology, and because asymptomatic forms of endometriosis exist...
- Antiangiogenesis therapy for endometriosisAnnemiek W Nap
Department of Obstetrics and Gynecology, Research Institute for Growth and Development, Maastricht University and University Hospital, 6202 AZ Maastricht, The Netherlands
J Clin Endocrinol Metab 89:1089-95. 2004It is known that angiogenesis is of pivotal importance for the development of endometriosis. However, in the treatment of endometriosis patients, prevention of endometriosis lesion development only will not be sufficient as a therapy...
- Animal models in endometriosis researchRuth Grümmer
Institute of Anatomy, University Hospital Essen, Essen, Germany
Hum Reprod Update 12:641-9. 2006b>Endometriosis is a common gynaecological disease, defined as the presence of endometrial tissue outside the uterus, causing pelvic pain and subfertility in approximately 10% of women of reproductive age...
- Endometriosis: epidemiology and aetiological factorsPaola Vigano
Second Department of Obstetrics and Gynecology and Istituto Auxologico Italiano, Cusano Milanino, University of Milan, Milano, Italy
Best Pract Res Clin Obstet Gynaecol 18:177-200. 2004Estimates of the frequency of endometriosis vary widely. Based on the few reliable data, the prevalence of the condition can reasonably be assumed to be around 10%...
- The epidemiology of endometriosisDaniel W Cramer
Department of Obstetrics, Gynecology, and Reproductive Biology, Brigham and Women s Hospital, Harvard Medical School, Boston, Massachusetts 02115, USA
Ann N Y Acad Sci 955:11-22; discussion 34-6, 396-406. 2002Advances in understanding the epidemiology of endometriosis have lagged behind other diseases because of methodologic problems related to disease definition and control selection...
- Ovarian cancer in endometriosis: molecular biology, pathology, and clinical managementMasaki Mandai
Department of Gynecology and Obstetrics, Kyoto University Graduate School of Medicine, Sakyo ku, Kyoto, Japan
Int J Clin Oncol 14:383-91. 2009Recent molecular and pathological evidence suggests that endometriosis is a monoclonal, neoplastic disease...
- The search for genes contributing to endometriosis riskGrant W Montgomery
Genetic and Molecular Epidemiology Laboratories, Queensland Institute of Medical Research, Royal Brisbane Hospital, 300 Herston Road, Brisbane, QLD 4029, Australia
Hum Reprod Update 14:447-57. 2008Genetic variation contributes to the risk of developing endometriosis. This review summarizes gene mapping studies in endometriosis and the prospects of finding gene pathways contributing to disease using the latest genome-wide strategies.
- ESHRE guideline for the diagnosis and treatment of endometriosisStephen Kennedy
University of Oxford, UK
Hum Reprod 20:2698-704. 2005The objective was to develop recommendations for the diagnosis and treatment of endometriosis and its associated symptoms...
- Chronic pelvic pain and endometriosis: translational evidence of the relationship and implicationsPamela Stratton
Program in Reproductive and Adult Endocrinology, Eunice Kennedy Shriver National Institute of Child Health and Development, National Institutes of Health, Bldg 10, CRC, Rm 1 3140, 10 Center Dr MSC 1109, Bethesda, MD 20892 1109 USA
Hum Reprod Update 17:327-46. 2011Many clinicians and patients believe that endometriosis-associated pain is due to the lesions...
- Pathogenic mechanisms in endometriosis-associated infertilitySajal Gupta
Reproductive Research Center, Department of Obstetrics and Gynecology and Glickman Urological Institute, The Cleveland Clinic, Cleveland, Ohio 44195, USA
Fertil Steril 90:247-57. 2008To review the mechanisms by which endometriosis may affect reproductive function.
- Contribution of bone marrow-derived stem cells to endometrium and endometriosisHongling DU
Division of Reproductive Endocrinology, Department of Medicine, Cellular and Developmental Biology, Yale University School of Medicine, New Haven, CT 06520 8063, USA
Stem Cells 25:2082-6. 2007..We investigate whether BMDCs can localize to uterine endometrium and to endometriosis. After bone marrow transplantation, male donor-derived bone marrow cells were found in the uterine endometrium ..
- Functional microRNA involved in endometriosisShannon M Hawkins
Department of Obstetrics and Gynecology, Baylor College of Medicine, 1709 Dryden Drive, Suite 1100, Houston, Texas 77030, USA
Mol Endocrinol 25:821-32. 2011b>Endometriosis is a common disease seen by gynecologists. Clinical features involve pelvic pain and unexplained infertility...
- Gene expression analysis of endometrium reveals progesterone resistance and candidate susceptibility genes in women with endometriosisRichard O Burney
Department of Obstetrics and Gynecology, Stanford University, Stanford, California 94305, USA
Endocrinology 148:3814-26. 2007The identification of molecular differences in the endometrium of women with endometriosis is an important step toward understanding the pathogenesis of this condition and toward developing novel strategies for the treatment of ..
- Endometriomas: their ultrasound characteristicsC Van Holsbeke
Department of Obstetrics and Gynaecology, University Hospitals Leuven, Leuven, Belgium
Ultrasound Obstet Gynecol 35:730-40. 2010..To describe the ultrasound characteristics of endometriomas in pre- and postmenopausal patients and to develop rules that characterize endometriomas...
- Proteomic analysis of serum yields six candidate proteins that are differentially regulated in a subset of women with endometriosisBeata Seeber
Division of Reproductive Endocrinology and Infertility, Department of Obstetrics and Gynecology, University of Pennsylvania, Philadelphia, Pennsylvania 19104, USA
Fertil Steril 93:2137-44. 2010To identify potential novel biomarkers that differ between subjects with and without endometriosis and that might aid in developing a noninvasive, serum-based diagnostic test.
- Role of estrogen receptor-β in endometriosisSerdar E Bulun
Division of Reproductive Biology Research, Department Obstetrics and Gynecology, Northwestern University Feinberg School of Medicine, Chicago, Illinois 60611, USA
Semin Reprod Med 30:39-45. 2012b>Endometriosis is an estrogen-dependent disease. The biologically active estrogen, estradiol, aggravates the pathological processes (e.g., inflammation and growth) and the symptoms (e.g., pain) associated with endometriosis...
- Aberrant DNA methylation status of endometriosis: epigenetics as the pathogenesis, biomarker and therapeutic targetKaei Nasu
Department of Obstetrics and Gynecology, Faculty of Medicine, Oita University, Oita, Japan
J Obstet Gynaecol Res 37:683-95. 2011b>Endometriosis, a common, benign, estrogen-dependent disease affecting 3-10% of women of reproductive age, is characterized by the ectopic growth of endometrial tissue that is found primarily in the peritoneum, ovaries and rectovaginal ..
- Preoperative work-up for patients with deeply infiltrating endometriosis: transvaginal ultrasonography must definitely be the first-line imaging examinationMathilde Piketty
Department of Gynecology, Obstetrics II and Reproductive Medicine, Universite Paris Descartes, Paris, France
Hum Reprod 24:602-7. 2009..We compared the accuracy of TVUS and TRUS for diagnosing rectal wall involvement in patients presenting with histologically proved deeply infiltrating endometriosis (DIE).
- Evaluation of erythrocyte band 3 phosphotyrosine level, glutathione content, CA-125, and human epididymal secretory protein E4 as combined parameters in endometriosisLuciana Bordin
Department of Biological Chemistry, University of Padova, Padova, Italy
Fertil Steril 94:1616-21. 2010..the biochemical parameters of the erythrocyte response to diamide-induced oxidative stress, alone or as adjuncts to serum values of CA-125 and human epididymal secretory protein E4 (HE4), in the diagnosis and study of endometriosis.
- Managing endometriosis-associated infertilitySuneeta Senapati
Reproductive Endocrinology and Infertility, Reproductive Research Unit, Women s Heath Clinical Research Center, University of Pennsylvania, Philadelphia, Pennsylvania, USA
Clin Obstet Gynecol 54:720-6. 2011b>Endometriosis is associated with infertility; however, the etiology of this association is unclear, thus complicating management. Several mechanisms of pathogenesis have been proposed; however, no one theory has been implicated...
- Abnormal activation of Ras/Raf/MAPK and RhoA/ROCKII signalling pathways in eutopic endometrial stromal cells of patients with endometriosisI Y Yotova
Department of Obstetrics and Gynecology, Medical University of Vienna, Waehringer Guertel 18 20, A 1090 Vienna, Austria
Hum Reprod 26:885-97. 2011BACKGROUND Enhanced proliferation and survival of eutopic endometrial cells from patients with endometriosis compared with healthy women is associated with abnormal activation of extra-cellular signal-regulated kinases 1 and 2 (ERK1/2)...
- Toll-like receptor 4-mediated growth of endometriosis by human heat-shock protein 70Khaleque Newaz Khan
Department of Obstetrics and Gynecology, Graduate School of Biomedical Sciences, Nagasaki University, 1 7 1 Sakamoto, Nagasaki 852 8501, Japan
Hum Reprod 23:2210-9. 2008We investigated the role of human heat-shock protein 70 (Hsp70) in Toll-like receptor 4 (TLR4)-mediated growth of endometriosis.
- L-carnitine supplementation reduces oocyte cytoskeleton damage and embryo apoptosis induced by incubation in peritoneal fluid from patients with endometriosisGihan Mansour
Reproductive Research Center, Department of Obstetrics and Gynecology, Cleveland Clinic, Cleveland, Ohio, USA
Fertil Steril 91:2079-86. 2009To investigate the protective effect of L-carnitine (LC) against deleterious substances present in the peritoneal fluid (PF) of patients with endometriosis, which may affect the oocyte cytoskeleton and embryogenesis.
- Endometriosis and ovarian cancer: a review of clinical, pathologic, and molecular aspectsJian Jun Wei
Department of Pathology, Division of Reproductive Biology Research, Northwestern University Feinberg School of Medicine, 251 E Huron St, Chicago, IL, 60611, USA
Int J Gynecol Pathol 30:553-68. 2011b>Endometriosis is a chronic disease that affects millions of reproductive-age women...
- Quantitative and qualitative peritoneal immune profiles, T-cell apoptosis and oxidative stress-associated characteristics in women with minimal and mild endometriosisJennifer Mier-Cabrera
Departamento de Investigación en Nutrición, Subdirección de Investigación en Salud Pública, Instituto Nacional de Perinatologia Isidro Espinosa de los Reyes, Mexico City, Mexico
BJOG 118:6-16. 2011To assess immunological variables, T-cell apoptosis and oxidative stress markers in the peripheral blood and peritoneal fluid of women with (WEN) and without (WWE) endometriosis.
- Circulating endothelial progenitor cells are up-regulated in a mouse model of endometriosisChristian M Becker
Vascular Biology Program, Children s Hospital Boston, Harvard Medical School, Boston, Massachusetts, USA
Am J Pathol 178:1782-91. 2011b>Endometriosis is a debilitating disease characterized by the growth of ectopic endometrial tissue. It is widely accepted that angiogenesis plays an integral part in the establishment and growth of endometriotic lesions...
- New insights into the pathophysiology of endometriosis: from chronic inflammation to danger signalHirotaka Kajihara
Department of Obstetrics and Gynecology, Nara Medical University, Nara, Japan
Gynecol Endocrinol 27:73-9. 2011Various theories try to explain the development and progression of endometriosis, however, no single theory can explain all aspects of this disorder...
- Endometrial aromatase mRNA as a possible screening tool for advanced endometriosis and adenomyosisJozef Hatok
Department of Medical Biochemistry, Jessenius Faculty of Medicine, Comenius University in Bratislava, Mala Hora 4, 036 01 Martin, Slovak Republic
Gynecol Endocrinol 27:331-6. 2011b>Endometriosis (ENDs) and adenomyosis (ADNs) are estrogen-dependent diseases...
- Is aromatase expression in the endometrium the cause of endometriosis and related infertility?Hugo Maia
Centro de Pesquisas e Assistencia em Reproducao Humana CEPARH, Bahia, Brazil
Gynecol Endocrinol 25:253-7. 2009..in doses that do not block ovulation is associated with the occurrence of pregnancy in patients with severe endometriosis without the need for surgery...
- Non-dioxin-like polychlorinated biphenyls and risk of endometriosisBritton Trabert
University of Washington, Seattle, Washington, USA
Environ Health Perspect 118:1280-5. 2010b>Endometriosis, a gynecologic disorder affecting 8-10% of reproductive-age women in the United States, is defined as the presence of endometrial tissue outside the uterus and is linked to pelvic pain and infertility...
- The role of endometrium in endometriosisMurat Ulukus
Yale University School of Medicine, Department of Obstetrics, Gynecology and Reproductive Sciences, New Haven, Connecticut 06520 8063, USA
J Soc Gynecol Investig 13:467-76. 2006b>Endometriosis is defined as the presence of endometrial glands and stroma outside the uterus. Several theories have been proposed to explain the pathogenesis of this disease...
- Estrogen receptor-beta, estrogen receptor-alpha, and progesterone resistance in endometriosisSerdar E Bulun
Division of Reproductive Biology Research, Department Obstetrics and Gynecology, Northwestern University Feinberg School of Medicine, Chicago, Illinois 60611, USA
Semin Reprod Med 28:36-43. 2010Loss of progesterone signaling in the endometrium may be a causal factor in the development of endometriosis, and progesterone resistance is commonly observed in women with this disease...
- MGEx-Udb: a mammalian uterus database for expression-based cataloguing of genes across conditions, including endometriosis and cervical cancerAkhilesh K Bajpai
Institute of Bioinformatics and Applied Biotechnology IBAB, Bengaluru Bangalore, Karnataka State, India
PLoS ONE 7:e36776. 2012..Gene expression profiling of uterus tissue has been performed in various contexts, but a significant amount of the data remains underutilized as it is not covered by the existing general resources...
- Reactive oxygen species controls endometriosis progressionCharlotte Ngo
Faculte de Medecine, Service de Gynécologie Obstétrique II et Médecine de la Reproduction, AP HP Hôpital Cochin, Paris, France
Am J Pathol 175:225-34. 2009b>Endometriosis is associated with chronic inflammation, and reactive oxygen species (ROS) are proinflammatory mediators that modulate cell proliferation...
- Aberrant expression of deoxyribonucleic acid methyltransferases DNMT1, DNMT3A, and DNMT3B in women with endometriosisYan Wu
Department of Pediatrics, Medical College of Wisconsin, Milwaukee, Wisconsin 53226 0509, USA
Fertil Steril 87:24-32. 2007Since endometriosis is a persistent disease with substantial gene dysregulation, there must be cellular memory of some sort that constitutes a unique cell identity for endometriotic cells...
- Apoptosis and endometriosisTasuku Harada
Department of Obstetrics and Gynecology, Tottori University School of Medicine, Yonago, Japan
Front Biosci 12:3140-51. 2007..Eutopic endometrium from women with endometriosis reportedly has some fundamental differences compared with normal endometrium of women without endometriosis...
- Molecular evidence for differences in endometrium in severe versus mild endometriosisLusine Aghajanova
Department of Obstetrics, Gynecology and Reproductive Sciences, University of California San Francisco UCSF, San Francisco, CA 94143, USA
Reprod Sci 18:229-51. 2011Women with stage III/IV versus stage I/II endometriosis have lower implantation and pregnancy rates in natural and assisted reproduction cycles...
- The role of the oxidative-stress in the endometriosis-related infertilityAreti Augoulea
2nd Department of Obstetrics and Gynecology, Aretaieion Hospital, Athens University Medical School, Athens, Greece
Gynecol Endocrinol 25:75-81. 2009b>Endometriosis is a common gynecological disorder of the reproductive age characterised by pelvic pain, dysmenorrhea and infertility. Classic theories have failed to propose a precise pathogenetic mechanism...
- Migraine is associated with menorrhagia and endometriosisGretchen E Tietjen
Department of Neurology, Medical College of Ohio, Toledo 43614, USA
Headache 46:422-8. 2006To evaluate the frequency of menorrhagia and endometriosis in female migraineurs compared to age-matched women without headache.
- Endometriosis and infertilityKristin J Holoch
Department of Obstetrics and Gynecology, Greenville Hospital System, Greenville, South Carolina 29605, USA
Clin Obstet Gynecol 53:429-38. 2010b>Endometriosis is an enigmatic disease affecting up to 10% of reproductive-aged women causing pain and infertility. Up to 50% of women with endometriosis are infertile, and agreement about treatment options has been difficult to establish...
- Inflammatory status influences aromatase and steroid receptor expression in endometriosisOrhan Bukulmez
Department of Obstetrics, The University of Texas Southwestern Medical Center at Dallas, Dallas, Texas 75390 9032, USA
Endocrinology 149:1190-204. 2008Aberrant up-regulation of aromatase in eutopic endometrium and implants from women with endometriosis has been reported. Aromatase induction may be mediated by increased cyclooxygenase-2 (COX-2)...
- Aldo-keto reductases AKR1C1, AKR1C2 and AKR1C3 may enhance progesterone metabolism in ovarian endometriosisN Hevir
Institute of Biochemistry, Faculty of Medicine, University of Ljubljana, Ljubljana, Slovenia
Chem Biol Interact 191:217-26. 2011b>Endometriosis is a very common disease that is characterized by increased formation of estradiol and disturbed progesterone action...
- Diagnostic accuracy of physical examination, transvaginal sonography, rectal endoscopic sonography, and magnetic resonance imaging to diagnose deep infiltrating endometriosisMarc Bazot
Services de Radiologie, Hopital Tenon, Paris, France
Fertil Steril 92:1825-33. 2009To compare the value of physical examination, transvaginal sonography (TVS), rectal endoscopic sonography (RES), and magnetic resonance imaging (MRI) for the assessment of different locations of deep infiltrating endometriosis (DIE).
- Laparoscopic stripping of endometriomas: a randomized trial on different surgical techniques. Part II: pathological resultsLudovico Muzii
Department of Obstetrics and Gynaecology, University Campus Bio Medico of Rome, Via Longoni 83, Rome 00155, Italy
Hum Reprod 20:1987-92. 2005..The objective of this trial was to evaluate the presence and nature of ovarian tissue adjacent to the endometrioma cyst wall obtained by stripping with different techniques...
- Letrozole and desogestrel-only contraceptive pill for the treatment of stage IV endometriosisValentino Remorgida
Department of Obstetrics and Gynaecology, San Martino Hospital and University of Genoa, Genoa, Italy
Aust N Z J Obstet Gynaecol 47:222-5. 2007It has recently been suggested that aromatase inhibitors may effectively reduce pain symptoms related to the presence of endometriosis both in postmenopausal women and in subjects of reproductive age.
- Aromatase inhibitors in the treatment of severe endometriosisNoha A Mousa
Institute of Medical Science, Samuel Lunenfeld Research Institute, Mount Sinai Hospital, University of Toronto, Toronto, Ontario, Canada
Obstet Gynecol 109:1421-3. 2007b>Endometriosis-associated chronic pelvic pain unresponsive to surgical menopause is a difficult clinical problem.
- Successful treatment of an aggressive recurrent post-menopausal endometriosis with an aromatase inhibitorH M Fatemi
Centre of Reproductive Medicine, AZ VUB, University Hospital, Dutch speaking Free University of Brussels, Laarbeeklaan 101, 1090 Brussels, Belgium
Reprod Biomed Online 11:455-7. 2005..Medical management of recurrent post-menopausal endometriosis with aromatase inhibitors seems to be an effective alternative treatment to surgery.
- Letrozole and norethisterone acetate in colorectal endometriosisSimone Ferrero
Department of Obstetrics and Gynaecology, San Martino Hospital and University of Genoa, Genoa, Italy
Eur J Obstet Gynecol Reprod Biol 150:199-202. 2010Up to now limited attention has been given to the medical treatment of bowel endometriosis. This study evaluates the efficacy of aromatase inhibitors and norethisterone acetate in treating pain and gastrointestinal symptoms caused by ..
- EPIDEMIOLOGIC AND BIOLOGIC PREDICTORS OF IVF SUCCESSDaniel Cramer; Fiscal Year: 2002..Women with the primary diagnosis of endometriosis had fewer eggs retrieved, whereas diagnosis of hernia or varicocele was linked to decreased sperm ..
- REPRODUCTIVE/CONTRACEPTIVE RISK FACTORS & ENDOMETRIOSISVictoria Holt; Fiscal Year: 2005b>Endometriosis affects 5-10% of reproductive-age women with chronic pelvic pain, dysmenorrhea, dyspareunia, and infertility...
- A prospective study of diet and endometriosisStacey Missmer; Fiscal Year: 2006unreadable] DESCRIPTION (provided by applicant): Endometriosis, the third leading cause of gynecologic hospitalization in the United States, remains one of the most enigmatic gynecologic pathologies...
- Endogenous Hormones and Risk of EndometriosisStacey Missmer; Fiscal Year: 2009DESCRIPTION (provided by applicant): Endometriosis, the third leading cause of gynecologic hospitalization in the United States, remains one of the most enigmatic gynecologic pathologies...
- MOLECULAR MECHANISMS OF DIOXIN ACTIONAlvaro Puga; Fiscal Year: 2013..associated with a number of disease outcomes, including cancer, chloracne, cardiovascular disease, diabetes, endometriosis, neurocognitive deficits, immunotoxicity and especially, cardiac developmental abnormalities...
- A Novel Target for the Treatment of EndometriosisPaul D Crowe; Fiscal Year: 2011DESCRIPTION (provided by applicant): Endometriosis is a major cause of severe pelvic pain, pain during menstruation, dyspareunia and infertility in women of child-bearing age with an estimated $22 billion cost of diagnosis and treatment ..
- Immunology, Inflammation, and EndometriosisSTACEY ANN MISSMER; Fiscal Year: 2012Abstract Endometriosis remains one of the most enigmatic gynecologic pathologies, the effects of which can be physically and mentally debilitating...
- The Role of The Histone Epigenome in the Pathophysiology of EndometriosisMARICARMEN COLON; Fiscal Year: 2012DESCRIPTION (provided by applicant): Although the etiology of endometriosis is not known, various theories attempt to explain the mechanisms whereby endometrial cells are able to survive and grow in the peritoneum and other ectopic ..
- Stress: Potential Impact on an Animal Model of EndometriosisCaroline B Appleyard; Fiscal Year: 2012DESCRIPTION (provided by applicant): Endometriosis is a chronic gynecological disorder defined as the presence of endometrial glands and stroma outside the endometrial cavity, mainly in ovaries, fallopian tubes, cul-de-sac and the ..
- Control of Nociception in the Spinal CordSukhbir S Mokha; Fiscal Year: 2013..observed below the head region, such as irritable bowel syndrome (IBS), fibromyalgia, vulvodynia, endometriosis and pelvic pain, have a greater prevalence in women or are female-specific...
- Cell Differentation During DecidualizationZuzana Strakova; Fiscal Year: 2010..Defects in decidualization were described in endometriosis and infertility patients and we hypothesize that the ability of stromal cells to re-organize the cytoskeleton ..
- Bisphenol-A and Reproductive DysfunctionVasantha Padmanabhan; Fiscal Year: 2013..increases in estrogen sensitive cancers, decline in human sperm quality and quantity, a notable rise in endometriosis, and early puberty in women...
- Physiological Mechanisms Underlying Heightened Responsiveness of Gonadotropes toColin M Clay; Fiscal Year: 2013..is important for fertility control;however, GnRH agonists and antagonists are used to treat fibroid tumors, endometriosis, and reproductive tissue carcinomas thus underscoring the need for a full understanding of GnRH and the GnRH ..
- Development and Pilot Test of an Elective BSO Decision Support GuideMiriam Kuppermann; Fiscal Year: 2010..of ovarian cancer and/or to avoid possible morbidities and future surgery related to benign ovarian neoplasms, endometriosis, and pelvic pain...
- BISPHENOL A LEVELS and ENDOMETRIOSIS RISK IN REPRODUCTIVE-AGE WOMENVictoria L Holt; Fiscal Year: 2012..goal of this project is to investigate the relationship between bisphenol A (BPA) levels and the risk of endometriosis in a population-based study of women in Washington State...
- Biosignature of the endometrium in women with endometriosisNeil Sidell; Fiscal Year: 2010..These protein and antibody arrays present a new opportunity to profile protein expression levels in endometriosis patients'samples and identify useful biosignatures for diagnosis, drug development, and patient care...
- Targeted Delivery of a Novel Synthetic Curcumin Analog, EF24 to Glioblastoma andMAMORU NONE SHOJI; Fiscal Year: 2012..the abnormal vessels in GBM, the approach may find application in other diseases with abnormal blood vessel growth, such as diabetic retinopathy, macular degeneration, endometriosis, Crohn's disease, psoriasis, and other cancers.
- Hormone-Regulated Pathways Controlling Implantation and FertilityMilan K Bagchi; Fiscal Year: 2012..Extension of these analyses to endometrial tissues obtained from normal women as well as those with endometriosis, a common gynecologic disorder associated with reduced fertility, will provide the important translational ..
- AHR signaling in Mammalian and Non-Mammalian ModelsMark E Hahn; Fiscal Year: 2013..AHRR polymorphisms have been linked to male infertility and endometriosis in women, and the AHRR has been proposed to function as a tumor suppressor gene...
- The effects of stress on the pathophysiology of endometriosisMARIELLY CUEVAS; Fiscal Year: 2010DESCRIPTION (provided by applicant): Endometriosis occurs when endometrial tissue that is shed during menses is able to attach, invade and grow outside the uterus...
- Molecular Analysis of Uterine ReceptivityFRANCESCO JOHN DEMAYO; Fiscal Year: 2013..Alterations in P4 signaling are associated with endometrial diseases, such as infertility, endometriosis and endometrial cancer...
- Progesterone Action in the Endometrium of Women with EndometriosisSteven L Young; Fiscal Year: 2013DESCRIPTION (provided by applicant): Endometriosis causes pain and/or infertility in 2 - 8% of women in the U.S., with an annual cost of more than $20 billion...
- Steroid Hormone Regulation of Uterine Function and DysfunctionJae Wook Jeong; Fiscal Year: 2012..Additionally, endometriosis affects an estimated 5 million women in the US and is commonly associated with infertility and pelvic pain...
- Center for Endometrial Biology and EndometriosisHugh S Taylor; Fiscal Year: 2011..Reproductive Research at Yale and Vanderbilt Universities to be named "The Center for Endometrial Biology and Endometriosis." Disorders of the endometrium and endometriosis result in significant morbidity including infertility, ..
- Nitric oxide regulation of CD55 and infectionChandrasekhar Yallampalli; Fiscal Year: 2013..4.3. We will investigate the effects of NO modifiers on CD55 expression in human endometriosis and the involvement of PI3K/Akt pathway and ceramide in this process...
- Environmental Estrogen Induced Epigenetic Alteration of Uterine Stem CellsHugh S Taylor; Fiscal Year: 2013..3) use of an in vivo model to determine if endometrial stem cells from exposed animals are more prone to endometriosis or endometrial cancer...
- Molecular mechanism of LPA3-mediated uterine receptivityXiaoqin Ye; Fiscal Year: 2013..Down regulation of uterine LPA3 is implicated in defective uterine receptivity in endometriosis patients and deletion of Lpar3 in mice leads to delayed uterine receptivity...
- Endometriosis and RetinoidsSerdar E Bulun; Fiscal Year: 2013DESCRIPTION (provided by applicant): Endometriosis, the pathologic endometrium-like tissue on pelvic organs, develops and persists in part due to defective apoptosis and is associated with pelvic pain and infertility...
- Control of Nociception in the Spinal CordSukhbir S Mokha; Fiscal Year: 2010..the head region, such as irritable bowel syndrome (IBS), fibromyalgia, interstitial cystitis (1C), vulvodynia, endometriosis and pelvic pain, have a greater prevalence in women or are female-specific...
- Prostaglandin E2 Signaling in Growth and Pains of EndometriosisJoe A Arosh; Fiscal Year: 2012DESCRIPTION (provided by applicant): Endometriosis is an inflammatory disease characterized by the presence of functional endometrium outside the uterine cavity. The major two symptoms are intolerable pelvic pain and infertility...
- Regulation of hormone production by matrix proteinsRong Li; Fiscal Year: 2013..Several estrogen-dependent pathological conditions including breast cancer, uterine fibroids, and endometriosis are associated with local overexpression of aromatase, a key enzyme in estrogen biosynthesis and important ..
- The Role of LOX and LOXL1 in the Pathophysiology of EndometriosisPERLA MARIA BAEZ; Fiscal Year: 2010DESCRIPTION (provided by applicant): Endometriosis shares many of the hallmarks of cancer, including metastatic potential, dysregulated growth, and angiogenesis...
- Screening and Risk Biomarkers for Ovarian Cancer in EPIC SpecimensDANIEL WILLIAM CRAMER; Fiscal Year: 2013..4, and beta-2-microglobulin (B2M) plus epidemiologic variables like ovulatory cycles, endometriosis, body mass index, and family history of breast cancer improved upon CA125 alone in identifying cases more than ..
- Comorbid Chronic Pain Conditions - Mechanisms, Diagnosis and TreatmentsAllen W Cowley; Fiscal Year: 2011..They include: chronic fatigue syndrome, chronic headache, endometriosis, fibromyalgia, irritable bowel syndrome, interstitial cystitis, and vulvodynia...
- Origins and Biological Consequences of Human InfertilityLinda C Giudice; Fiscal Year: 2013..NamTran) proposes to investigate molecular mechanisms underlying the pathogenesis and pathophysiology of endometriosis, a common disorder in women associated with infertility and poor pregnancy outcomes These projects are ..
- Biochemical and pharmacological studies of human membrane progesterone receptorsStephen G Chamberlin; Fiscal Year: 2013..pharmaceutical importance, being most commonly used for birth control and in the treatment of cancer and endometriosis. Traditionally, the biological activity of such molecules has been tested by investigating their effects on ..
- A macaque model for endometriosis induced pelvic pain and infertilityOv D Slayden; Fiscal Year: 2013DESCRIPTION (provided by applicant): Endometriosis is a painful disorder for millions of women...
- Pain and Endometriosis: Effects on Ectopic Cyst Innervation and AxonsGeoffrey M Bove; Fiscal Year: 2010Women with endometriosis often have significant pain. Modern studies have implicated the neo-innervation of endometrial cysts as a primary source of this pain...
- Mechanisms of Reduced Fecundity in Endometriosis: A role for MMPs and TIMPsKATHY L TIMMS; Fiscal Year: 20126. PROJECT SUMMARY The long term goal of our research is to unravel root and proximal mechanisms by which endometriosis decreases fecundity in women. Evidence supports an association between endometriosis and reduced fecundity...
- The Role of the CXCR4/CXCL12 axis in endometriosisABIGAIL RUIZ-RIVERA; Fiscal Year: 2013DESCRIPTION (provided by applicant): Endometriosis, like cancer, has also been shown to be characterized by increased proliferation, invasion and angiogenesis;however, the specific mechanisms underlying this estrogen-dependent, invasive ..
- Molecular Basis of Treating Endometriosis by Prostaglandin E2 Receptor InhibitorsJoe A Arosh; Fiscal Year: 2012DESCRIPTION (provided by applicant): Endometriosis is an estrogen dependent disease...
- Retinoid effects on inflammation and cell growth associated with endometriosisNeil Sidell; Fiscal Year: 2012..overall goal of this project is to understand the mechanism of action and clinical potential of retinoids in endometriosis. We propose that retinoids play both a causative role in the development of endometriosis and have therapeutic ..
- [11C]vorozole as a PET tracer for in vivo studies of human aromataseAnat Biegon; Fiscal Year: 2012..activity are implicated in a wide range of human diseases, including breast cancer, Alzheimer's disease, endometriosis, liver cancer, ovarian cancer and brain injury;which affect millions in the US...
- Novel Ligands and Mechanisms to Achieve Selective Nuclear Receptor ActivityJohn A Katzenellenbogen; Fiscal Year: 2013..anti-proliferative/anti-inflammatory activity as optimized therapy for estrogen-dependent breast cancer and endometriosis, through unique ER conformations induced by structurally novel ligands...
- Global methylation profile in endometrium of endometriosis patientsSusan C Nagel; Fiscal Year: 2012DESCRIPTION (provided by applicant): Endometriosis is a common gynecological disease with unknown etiology that can cause severe pain and infertility...
- ENVIRONMENT CHEMICALS AND GYNECOLOGIC HEALTH (ENDO STUDY)Matthew Peterson; Fiscal Year: 2009The purpose of the ENDO Study (Endometriosis: Natural History, Diagnosis and Outcomes) is to investigate the impact of environmental chemicals and lifestyle in relation to the etiology of gynecologic diseases, particularly endometriosis...
- Hot Flash Research Tool for Broad Population Research StudiesGARY D HAVEY; Fiscal Year: 2011..survivors, women with chemotherapy-induced ovarian failure, oopherectomized women, women being treated for endometriosis or infertility with gonadotropin- releasing hormone (GnRH) agonists such as Lupron, and men with prostate ..
- Dissecting Uterine Progesterone ResistanceMichael J Soares; Fiscal Year: 2013..resistance) is a characteristic feature of a number of female reproductive tract disorders, including endometriosis, polycystic ovarian syndrome, endometrial hyperplasia/cancer, and early pregnancy loss...
- Effects of Endocrine Disruptors on Endometriosis Risk in Reproductive Age WomenKristen Upson; Fiscal Year: 2012..chemicals (EDCs), specifically select phthalates and persistent organochlorine pesticides (OCPs), and risk of endometriosis in reproductive-age women...
- Dioxin Exposure and the Invasive Pathogenesis of EndometriosisKevin G Osteen; Fiscal Year: 2013DESCRIPTION (provided by applicant): Endometriosis, described as the ectopic growth of endometrial tissue, is a debilitating disease of reproductive age women. In North America, at least 5...
- CENTER FOR REPRODUCTIVE BIOLOGICAL RESEARCHFRANCESCO JOHN DEMAYO; Fiscal Year: 2013..Project III: "MicroRNAs in Endometrial Function and Dysfunction" will identify novel microRNAs altered in endometriosis and investigate their biology...
- Structural mutation analysis of PTEN and its possible genotype-phenotype correlatIRIS NIRA SMITH; Fiscal Year: 2013..by applicant): Structural mutation analysis of PTEN and its possible genotype-phenotype correlations in Endometriosis and Cancer The phosphatase and tensin homolog deleted on chromosome ten (PTEN) gene encodes a tumor suppressor ..
- 1/2-Atlanta Center for Translational Research in Endometriosis (ACTRE)Winston E Thompson; Fiscal Year: 2013..The Atlanta Center for Translational Research in Endometriosis (ACTRE, pronounced "actor") is a partnership between the reproductive research programs of Emory University (..
- 2/2-Atlanta Center for Translational Research in Endometriosis (ACTRE)Winston E Thompson; Fiscal Year: 2013..The Atlanta Center for Translational Research in Endometriosis (ACTRE, pronounced "actor") is a partnership between the reproductive research programs of Emory University (..
- Ovarian cancer diagnosis by monitoring immune cell bound MUC16 (CA125)Manish S Patankar; Fiscal Year: 2011..elevated levels of CA125 are also observed in pregnant women and patients with benign conditions such as endometriosis, preeclampsia, and others...
- Role of Autophagy in the Pathogenesis of EndometriosisMeera Nanjundan; Fiscal Year: 2013DESCRIPTION (provided by applicant): Endometriosis is a benign but very painful gynecological disease which affects reproductive age women leading to infertility...
- The Role of miR-451 in Endometriosis Pathophysiology and TreatmentWarren B Nothnick; Fiscal Year: 2013DESCRIPTION (provided by applicant): Endometriosis is a chronic disease in which endometrial tissue grows ectopically, is characterized by pelvic pain and infertility and affects over 70 million women world-wide...
- Kisspeptin Physiology in Human ReproductionStephanie Beth Seminara; Fiscal Year: 2013..compounds) may provide another avenue for therapeutic intervention for patients with reproductive cancers, endometriosis, infertility, and abnormalities of pubertal timing...
- Endogenous Circular RNAs and the Control of Expression of Aging-related GenesWilliam R Jeck; Fiscal Year: 2013..disease (including myocardial infarction, ischemic stroke, intracranial aneurism and aortic aneurism), and endometriosis. These variants are in strong linkage with haplotypes that overlap ANRIL, a long non-coding RNA of unknown ..
- CCTN - CONTRACEPTIVE CLINICAL TRIALS NETWORK - CORE - FEMALEERIN ALLEN; Fiscal Year: 2013..this contract is to systematically evaluate the safety and efficacy of new female contraceptive drugs and devices as well as gynecologic conditions, such as endometriosis or leiomyoma, in Phase I, II, III, and IV trials.
- MECHANISMS OF INFERTILITY IN ENDOMETRIOSISSerdar Bulun; Fiscal Year: 2002The long-range objective is to develop a clinically useful primate model for endometriosis-associated infertility in order to define underlying molecular biological and physiologic mechanisms and to test the efficacy of experimental ..
- Genes, Hormones & Environment in an Ovarian Cancer ModelDaniel Cramer; Fiscal Year: 2007..Epithelial cells trapped in inclusion cysts or deriving from endometriosis may be more susceptible to local or circulating growth factors...
- CONTINUATION OF FOLLOW-UP OF DES-EXPOSED COHORTSJulie Palmer; Fiscal Year: 2009..g., analyses of breast cancer and benign breast disease, breast size, endometriosis, body mass index) of study wide data collected during the contract period and previously...
- PERITONEAL MACROPHAGE MIGRATION IN ENDOMETRIOSISCECIL LYTTLE; Fiscal Year: 1993The long term objective of this research is to advance our understanding of the occurrence of endometriosis and the associated infertility. The research will focus on the cause of the infertility associated with this disease...
- Hyaluronan/CD44 and the Early Endometriotic LesionRobert Schenken; Fiscal Year: 2005b>Endometriosis is a common gynecologic disease affecting up to 10% of reproductive-age women. Despite this high prevalence and the severe symptoms associated with the disease, little is known about the pathogenesis of endometriosis...
- UTERINE BIOLOGY AND THE PATHOPHYSIOLOGY OF ENDOMETRIOSISKevin Osteen; Fiscal Year: 2003..Cooperative Center in Reproduction Research focused on the theme "Uterine Biology and the Pathophysiology of Endometriosis"...
- OVARIAN STEROIDS AND CALCIUM HOMEOSTASISNEIL BRESLAU; Fiscal Year: 1991..This type of reversible "medical oophorectomy" may be of benefit to women with endometriosis, uterine fibroids, hirsutism or breast cancer...
- ANTIPROGESTINS IN ENDOMETRIUMRONALD WIEHLE; Fiscal Year: 2000..under a SBIR that would clarify the properties of these new APs and enhance their utility for the treatment of endometriosis. It is the intention of Phase I of this proposed SBIR program to determine effects on the eutopic endometrium ..
- CSF-1 and c-fms and the Early Endometriotic LesionRajeshwar Rao Tekmal; Fiscal Year: 2010DESCRIPTION (provided by applicant): Endometriosis is a common gynecologic disease affecting up to 10% of reproductive-age women...
- Inflammatory Markers in Circulation and Ovarian Cancer RiskAlan Arslan; Fiscal Year: 2009..Several risk factors implicated in ovarian cancer development such as pelvic inflammatory disease, endometriosis, and incessant ovulation, an inflammation-like process, support the hypothesis that inflammation is important ..
- Treatment of Endometriosis-Associated Pelvic PainDavid Guzick; Fiscal Year: 2007Approximately one-third of women with chronic pelvic pain have endometriosis. Surgical treatment of endometriosis with laparoscopic excision of implants and lysis of adhesions is often successful in reducing pain in the short term...
- ENDOMETRIOSIS :TRADITIONAL MEDICINE VS HORMONE THERAPYRichard Hammerschlag; Fiscal Year: 2002DESCRIPTION (APPLICANT'S ABSTRACT): Endometriosis is a significant public health problem affecting 10-15% of women of childbearing age, many of whom suffer persistent pelvic pain and infertility...
- Antiprogestins in Cynomolgus EndometriosisRONALD WIEHLE; Fiscal Year: 2003..of an SBIR that would clarify the properties of these new SPRMs and enhance their utility for the treatment of endometriosis. It was the intention of Phase I of this SBIR program to determine effects on the eutopic endometrium of ..