Genomes and Genes
Summary: Unequal curvature of the refractive surfaces of the eye. Thus a point source of light cannot be brought to a point focus on the retina but is spread over a more or less diffuse area. This results from the radius of curvature in one plane being longer or shorter than the radius at right angles to it. (Dorland, 27th ed)
Publications307 found, 100 shown here
- Small incision corneal refractive surgery using the small incision lenticule extraction (SMILE) procedure for the correction of myopia and myopic astigmatism: results of a 6 month prospective studyWalter Sekundo
Department of Ophthalmology, Philipps University of Marburg, Robert Koch Strasse 4, 35037 Marburg, Germany
Br J Ophthalmol 95:335-9. 2011..This 6 month prospective multi-centre study evaluated the feasibility of performing myopic femtosecond lenticule extraction (FLEx) through a small incision using the small incision lenticule extraction (SMILE) procedure...
- Foldable toric intraocular lens for astigmatism correction in cataract patientsJavier Mendicute
Ophthalmology Service, Donostia Hospital, Po Dr Begiristáin 115, San Sebastian, Spain
J Cataract Refract Surg 34:601-7. 2008To evaluate the results of AcrySof toric intraocular lens (IOL) (Alcon) implantation to correct preexisting astigmatism in patients having cataract surgery.
- Laser in situ keratomileusis for myopia and astigmatism: safety and efficacy: a report by the American Academy of OphthalmologyAlan Sugar
Ophthalmic Technology Assessment Committee 2000 2001 Refractive Surgery Panel
Ophthalmology 109:175-87. 2002This document describes laser in situ keratomileusis (LASIK) for myopia and astigmatism and examines the evidence to answer key questions about the efficacy and safety of the procedure.
- Quantitative analysis of regular and irregular astigmatism induced by pterygiumA Tomidokoro
Department of Ophthalmology, Omiya Red Cross Hospital, Saitama, Japan
Cornea 18:412-5. 1999To quantitatively evaluate the influence of pterygium and its removal surgery on both regular and irregular corneal astigmatism.
- Corneal refractive power and eccentricity in the 40- to 64-year-old population of Shahroud, IranSoheila Asgari
Noor Ophthalmology Research Center, Noor Eye Hospital, Tehran, Iran
Cornea 32:25-9. 2013..To determine the normal corneal curvature, power, and eccentricity in an Iranian population and their determinants...
- LASIK for hyperopia, hyperopic astigmatism, and mixed astigmatism: a report by the American Academy of OphthalmologyGary A Varley
Ophthalmology 111:1604-17. 2004To describe LASIK for hyperopia, hyperopia with astigmatism, and mixed astigmatism and to examine the evidence to answer questions about the safety and efficacy of the procedure.
- Iris registration in wavefront-guided LASIK to correct mixed astigmatismMounir Khalifa
Tanta University Khalifa, Tanta, Egypt
J Cataract Refract Surg 35:433-7. 2009To investigate the predictability, safety, and efficiency of wavefront-guided laser in situ keratomileusis (LASIK) with iris-registration technology to correct mixed astigmatism.
- Topographic customized photorefractive keratectomy for regular and irregular astigmatism after penetrating keratoplasty using the LIGI CIPTA/LaserSight platformMaria Gabriella La Tegola
Department of Ophthalmology and Otorhinolaryngology, Clinica Oculistica, University of Bari, Bari, Italy
J Refract Surg 23:681-93. 2007To evaluate the use of a software ablation program (Corneal Interactive Programmed Topographic Ablation [CIPTA]) that provides customized photorefractive keratectomy (PRK) to correct astigmatism after keratoplasty.
- Changes in higher order aberrations after wavefront-guided PRK for correction of low to moderate myopia and myopic astigmatism: two-year follow-upD Wigledowska-Promienska
1st Department of Ophthalmology, Silesian University of Medicine, ul Caglana 35, 40 952 Katowice, Poland
Eur J Ophthalmol 17:507-14. 2007..in higher order aberrations after wavefront-guided photorefractive keratectomy (PRK) in comparison with conventional PRK for low to moderate myopia with myopic astigmatism using a WASCA Workstation with the MEL 70 G-Scan excimer laser.
- Power vector analysis of the optical outcome of refractive surgeryL N Thibos
School of Optometry, Indiana University, Bloomington, Indiana 47405, USA
J Cataract Refract Surg 27:80-5. 2001..To demonstrate the power vector method of representing and analyzing spherocylindrical refractive errors...
- Analysis of biometry and prevalence data for corneal astigmatism in 23,239 eyesPeter Christian Hoffmann
Castrop Rauxel, and Augenklinik, Bad Hersfeld, Germany
J Cataract Refract Surg 36:1479-85. 2010To present and analyze biometry data sets and prevalence data for corneal astigmatism in a large population.
- One-year follow-up of posterior chamber toric phakic intraocular lens implantation for moderate to high myopic astigmatismKazutaka Kamiya
Department of Ophthalmology, University of Kitasato School of Medicine, Kanagawa, Japan
Ophthalmology 117:2287-94. 2010To assess the 1-year clinical outcomes of toric Visian Implantable Collamer Lens (ICL; STAAR Surgical, Nidau, Switzerland) implantation for moderate to high myopic astigmatism.
- Collagen copolymer toric posterior chamber phakic intraocular lens in eyes with keratoconusJose F Alfonso
Fernández Vega Ophthalmological Institute, Surgery Department, School of Medicine, University of Oviedo, Oviedo, Spain
J Cataract Refract Surg 36:906-16. 2010To assess the safety, efficacy, stability, and predictability of collagen copolymer toric phakic intraocular lens (pIOL) implantation to correct myopia and astigmatism in eyes with keratoconus.
- Intraobserver and interobserver repeatability of curvature and aberrometric measurements of the posterior corneal surface in normal eyes using Scheimpflug photographyDavid P Pinero
Vissum Instituto de Oftalmológico de Alicante, Farmacologia y Anatomia, Universidad de Alicante, Alicante, Spain
J Cataract Refract Surg 35:113-20. 2009..To assess the intraobserver and interobserver repeatability of curvature and aberrometric measurements of the posterior corneal surface provided by a Scheimpflug photography system in normal eyes...
- Prevalence of corneal astigmatism before cataract surgeryTeresa Ferrer-Blasco
Optometry Research Group, Optics Department, University of Valencia, Valencia, Spain
J Cataract Refract Surg 35:70-5. 2009To analyze the prevalence and presentation patterns of corneal astigmatism in cataract surgery candidates.
- The effect of micro-incision and small-incision coaxial phaco-emulsification on corneal astigmatismJun Wang
Beijing Tongren Eye Center, Beijing Tongren Hospital, Capital Medical University, Beijing, China
Clin Experiment Ophthalmol 37:664-9. 2009To evaluate the effect of micro-incision (2.2 mm) and small-incision (2.6 mm or 3.0 mm) coaxial phaco-emulsification on surgically induced astigmatism (SIA).
- Corneal astigmatism in applanation tonometryH H Mark
Eye (Lond) 17:617-8. 2003..This short study aims at quantitatively correlating scale readings of the Goldmann tonometer to corneal curvatures in one and the same eye...
- LASIK for myopia and astigmatism using the SCHWIND AMARIS excimer laser: an international multicenter trialMaria Clara Arbelaez
Muscat Eye Laser Center, Muscat, Oman
J Refract Surg 26:88-98. 2010To assess the efficacy, predictability, and safety of LASIK for the surgical correction of low to moderate myopia with astigmatism using the SCHWIND AMARIS excimer laser.
- Practical astigmatism analysis for refractive outcomes in cataract and refractive surgeryNoel A Alpins
New Vision Clinics, Cheltenham, Vic, Australia
Surv Ophthalmol 49:109-22. 2004The fundamental concepts underpinning the vectorial analysis of astigmatism are straightforward and intuitive, easily understood by employing a simple golf-putting analogy...
- Prevalence of refractive errors among schoolchildren in Shiraz, IranAbbasali Yekta
Department of Optometry, Mashhad University of Medical Sciences, Mashhad, Vali Asr Ave, Tehran 19686, Iran
Clin Experiment Ophthalmol 38:242-8. 2010..To determine the prevalence of refractive errors in Shiraz schoolchildren by age and gender...
- Learning to adapt: Dynamics of readaptation to geometrical distortionsOren Yehezkel
Goldschleger Eye Research Institute, Tel Aviv University, Sheba Medical Center, 52621 Tel Hashomer, Israel
Vision Res 50:1550-8. 2010..Observers wore a cylindrical lens of +1.00 D on one eye, thus simulating monocular astigmatism. The other eye was either masked with a translucent blurred lens (monocular) or unmasked (dichoptic)...
- Toric Implantable Collamer Lens for moderate to high myopic astigmatismDonald R Sanders
Department of Ophthalmology, University of Illinois at Chicago College of Medicine, Chicago, Illinois, USA
Ophthalmology 114:54-61. 2007To assess the efficacy of the Toric Implantable Collamer Lens (ICL) to treat moderate to high myopic astigmatism.
- Combined Descemet-stripping automated endothelial keratoplasty and phacoemulsification with toric intraocular lens implantation for treatment of failed penetrating keratoplasty with high regular astigmatismVincenzo Scorcia
Department of Ophthalmology, Magna Graecia University, Catanzaro, Italy
J Cataract Refract Surg 38:716-9. 2012..Surgery was intended to treat a cataract developing in a post-penetrating keratoplasty (PKP) eye with high astigmatism and endothelial decompensation...
- Phacoemulsification and customized toric intraocular lens implantation in eyes with cataract and high astigmatism after penetrating keratoplastyUgo de Sanctis
Department of Clinical Physiopathology, Ophthalmology Institute, University of Turin, Italy
J Cataract Refract Surg 37:781-5. 2011..cylindrical power was performed in 1 eye in 3 consecutive patients with cataract and high postkeratoplasty astigmatism (range 6.75 to 8.75 diopters [D])...
- Transepithelial, Topography-guided Ablation in the Treatment of Visual Disturbances in LASIK Flap or Interface ComplicationsXiangjun Chen
SynsLaser Kirurgi AS, Tromsø, Norway
J Refract Surg 28:120-6. 2012..the efficacy and safety of a single-step, transepithelial, topography-guided surface ablation in the treatment of visual disturbances including irregular astigmatism and light scattering caused by LASIK flap or interface complications.
- Surgically induced astigmatism in combined phacoemulsification and vitrectomy; 23-gauge transconjunctival sutureless vitrectomy versus 20-gauge standard vitrectomyDong Ho Park
Department of Ophthalmology, School of Medicine, Kyungpook National University, 50 Samduk dong 2 ga, Chung gu, Taegu, South Korea
Graefes Arch Clin Exp Ophthalmol 247:1331-7. 2009To study the surgically induced astigmatism (SIA) in combined phacoemulsification with 23-gauge transconjunctival sutureless vitrectomy (TSV) versus combined phacoemulsification with 20-gauge standard vitrectomy.
- Perceptual adaptation to the correction of natural astigmatismMaria Vinas
Instituto de Optica, Consejo Superior de Investigaciones Cientificas CSIC, Madrid, Spain
PLoS ONE 7:e46361. 2012..We evaluated whether the perception of oriented blur is biased by the native astigmatism, and studied the time course of the after-effects following spectacle correction of astigmatism in habitually ..
- Wavefront-optimized ablation versus topography-guided customized ablation in myopic LASIK: comparative study of higher order aberrationsHatem E El Awady
Ophthalmology Center, Faculty of Medicine, Mansoura University, Mansoura, Egypt
Ophthalmic Surg Lasers Imaging 42:314-20. 2011..To compare the outcomes of wavefront-optimized ablation and topography-guided ablation in fellow eyes of patients undergoing laser in situ keratomileusis (LASIK) for myopia...
- Bitoric laser in situ keratomileusis for the correction of simple myopic and mixed astigmatismA S Chayet
CODET Instituto de Oftalmologia, Tijuana, Mexico
Ophthalmology 108:303-8. 2001To evaluate the safety and efficacy of bitoric laser in situ keratomileusis (LASIK) for the correction of simple myopic and mixed astigmatism.
- Comparative rotational stability of single-piece open-loop acrylic and plate-haptic silicone toric intraocular lensesDavid F Chang
Private Practice in Los Altos, California, USA
J Cataract Refract Surg 34:1842-7. 2008..To prospectively compare the early rotational stability of AcrySof SN60T toric intraocular lenses (IOLs) with that in a retrospective series of AA4203 toric IOLs...
- Excimer laser correction of moderate to high astigmatism with a non-wavefront-guided aberration-free ablation profile: Six-month resultsMaria Clara Arbelaez
J Cataract Refract Surg 35:1789-98. 2009To evaluate the postoperative clinical outcomes and higher-order aberrations (HOAs) in eyes with astigmatism greater than 2...
- Comparison of photorefractive keratectomy and laser in situ keratomileusis for the treatment of compound hyperopic astigmatismMohamed Sameh H El-Agha
Department of Ophthalmology, University of Texas Southwestern Medical Center, 5323 Harry Hines Boulevard, Dallas, TX 75390 9057, USA
J Cataract Refract Surg 29:900-7. 2003To compare photorefractive keratectomy (PRK) and laser in situ keratomileusis (LASIK) for compound hyperopic astigmatism.
- Early experience with the AcrySof toric IOL for the correction of astigmatism in cataract surgeryAlbena Dardzhikova
Gimbel Eye Centre, Calgary, Alta, Canada
Can J Ophthalmol 44:269-73. 2009..IOL (tIOL) became available in Canada in 2006, thereby giving surgeons another option in the correction of astigmatism during cataract surgery. The purpose of this paper is to report the early experience of the acrylic AcrySof tIOL...
- Fourier analysis of induced irregular astigmatism. Photorefractive keratectomy versus laser in situ keratomileusis in a bilateral cohort of hyperopic patientsAndrea Sciscio
Department of Ophthalmology, St Thomas Hospital, London, England, United Kingdom
J Cataract Refract Surg 29:1709-17. 2003To analyze corneal topographic data by Fourier analysis to determine differences in irregular astigmatism following spherical hyperopic correction by photorefractive keratectomy (PRK) or laser in situ keratomileusis (LASIK).
- Wavefront-guided laser in situ keratomileusis using the WaveScan system for correction of low to moderate myopia with astigmatism: 6-month results in 277 eyesNada S Jabbur
Refractive Surgery Center, The Wilmer Eye Institute, The Johns Hopkins University Jabbur, Baltimore, Maryland, USA
J Cataract Refract Surg 31:1493-501. 2005To assess the safety and effectiveness of wavefront guided LASIK surgery using the Visx WaveScan system for correction of low to moderate myopia with astigmatism.
- Comparison of the AcrySof SA60 spherical intraocular lens and the AcrySof Toric SN60T3 intraocular lens outcomes in patients with low amounts of corneal astigmatismMichael Statham
The Eye Health Centre, Brisbane, Queensland, Australia
Clin Experiment Ophthalmol 37:775-9. 2009..Toric intraocular lenses (IOLs) have been reported to be an effective method of reducing postoperative refractive astigmatism and spectacle dependence following cataract surgery...
- Astigmatism management in cataract surgery with the AcrySof toric intraocular lensNoel J C Bauer
Department of Ophthalmology, Academic Hospital Maastricht, Debyelaan 25, Maastricht, The Netherlands
J Cataract Refract Surg 34:1483-8. 2008..To present clinical data from a single-center prospective clinical trial of the AcrySof toric intraocular lens (IOL)...
- Visual function and patient experience after bilateral implantation of toric intraocular lensesIqbal Ike K Ahmed
Credit Valley Eye Care, 3200 Erin Mills Parkway, Unit 1, Mississauga, Ontario L5L 1W8, Canada
J Cataract Refract Surg 36:609-16. 2010To evaluate the efficacy, stability, predictability, and patient-reported outcomes of bilateral toric intraocular lens (IOL) implantation in cases of cataract with preexisting astigmatism.
- Comparison of Collamer toric implantable [corrected] contact lens implantation and wavefront-guided laser in situ keratomileusis for high myopic astigmatismKazutaka Kamiya
Department of Ophthalmology, University of Kitasato School of Medicine, Sagamihara, Kanagawa, Japan
J Cataract Refract Surg 34:1687-93. 2008To compare the postoperative visual outcomes after implantation of a Collamer toric implantable contact lens (ICL) and after wavefront-guided laser in situ keratomileusis in high myopic astigmatism.
- Comparison of standard and aberration-neutral profiles for myopic LASIK with the SCHWIND ESIRIS platformDiego de Ortueta
Augenlaserzentrum Recklinghausen, Recklinghausen, Germany
J Refract Surg 25:339-49. 2009..To compare the induced corneal wavefront aberration of eyes treated for myopia by LASIK with the SCHWIND ESIRIS laser using an aspheric aberration-neutral (Aberration-Free) ablation profile versus a classical Munnerlyn standard profile...
- Monte Carlo simulation of expected outcomes with the AcrySof toric intraocular lensWarren Hill
East Valley Ophthalmology, 5620 East Broadway Road, Mesa, Arizona 85206, USA
BMC Ophthalmol 8:22. 2008..To use a Monte Carlo simulation to predict postoperative results with the AcrySof Toric lens, evaluating the likelihood of over- or under-correction using various toric lens selection criteria...
- Genome-wide meta-analysis of five Asian cohorts identifies PDGFRA as a susceptibility locus for corneal astigmatismQiao Fan
School of Public Health, National University of Singapore, Singapore, Singapore
PLoS Genet 7:e1002402. 2011Corneal astigmatism refers to refractive abnormalities and irregularities in the curvature of the cornea, and this interferes with light being accurately focused at a single point in the eye...
- Astigmatic power calculations for intraocular lenses in the phakic and aphakic eyeEdwin J Sarver
Sarver andAssociates, Inc, Celebration, FL 34747, USA
J Refract Surg 20:472-7. 2004..To develop sets of equations employed in the power calculations for toric intraocular lenses (IOLs) in phakic or aphakic astigmatic eyes...
- The AcrySof Toric intraocular lens in subjects with cataracts and corneal astigmatism: a randomized, subject-masked, parallel-group, 1-year studyEdward Holland
Cincinnati Eye Institute, University of Cincinnati, Cincinnati, Ohio, USA
Ophthalmology 117:2104-11. 2010..Fort Worth, TX) in subjects with cataracts and preexisting corneal astigmatism.
- The efficacy of multi-zone cross-cylinder method for astigmatism correctionSeong Joo Shin
Department of Ophthalmology, Seoul Adventist Hospital, Seoul, Korea
Korean J Ophthalmol 18:29-34. 2004..study is to assess the efficacy of the multi-zone cross-cylinder method as compared with the single method for astigmatism correction using LASIK...
- Clinically significant corneal astigmatism and pars plana vitrectomyM Madison Slusher
Wake Forest University Eye Center, Wake Forest University School of Medicine, Winston Salem, North Carolina 27157 1033, USA
Ophthalmic Surg Lasers 33:5-8. 2002..To report a rare and previously unappreciated potential wound-related complication of repeat pars plana vitrectomy (PPV) combined with anterior segment surgery...
- Wavefront-optimized surface ablation with the Allegretto Wave Eye-Q excimer laser platform: 12-month visual and refractive resultsCatia Gambato
Department of Ophthalmology, University of Padova, Italy
J Refract Surg 27:792-5. 2011..To evaluate the wavefront-optimized algorithm of the Allegretto Wave Eye-Q (Wavelight AG) 400-Hz excimer laser platform...
- Visual outcomes of wavefront-guided laser in situ keratomileusis in eyes with moderate or high myopia and compound myopic astigmatismSimon R Bababeygy
Department of Ophthalmology, Stanford University School of Medicine, Stanford, CA 94305, USA
J Cataract Refract Surg 34:21-7. 2008To evaluate the safety, efficacy, and clinical outcomes of wavefront-guided laser in situ keratomileusis (LASIK) surgery for the treatment of moderate to high myopia and compound myopic astigmatism.
- Astigmatism analysis by the Alpins methodN Alpins
J Cataract Refract Surg 27:31-49. 2001To determine the effectiveness of correcting astigmatism by laser refractive surgery by a vectorial astigmatism outcome analysis that uses 3 fundamental vectors: target induced astigmatism vector (TIA), surgically induced astigmatism ..
- Long-term efficacy and rotational stability of AcrySof toric intraocular lens implantation in cataract surgeryMyung Hun Kim
Department of Ophthalmology, Samsung Medical Center, Sungkyunkwan University School of Medicine, Seoul, Korea
Korean J Ophthalmol 24:207-12. 2010To evaluate the long-term efficacy and rotational stability of the AcrySof toric intraocular lens (IOL) in correcting preoperative astigmatism in cataract patients.
- Inheritance of astigmatism: evidence for a major autosomal dominant locusM Clementi
Servizio di Genetica Clinica ed Epidemiologica, Dipartimento di Pediatria, Universita di Padova, Italy
Am J Hum Genet 63:825-30. 1998Although astigmatism is a frequent refractive error, its mode of inheritance remains uncertain...
- Comparison of the effect of three suturing techniques on postkeratoplasty astigmatism in keratoconusMohammad Ali Javadi
Ophthalmology Department, Labbafinejad Medical Center, Shaheed Beheshti University of Medical Sciences, Tehran, Iran
Cornea 25:1029-33. 2006To compare the effect of 3 common suturing techniques on postkeratoplasty astigmatism and final best corrected visual acuity (BCVA) in patients with keratoconus.
- Wavefront-optimized versus wavefront-guided LASIK for myopic astigmatism with the ALLEGRETTO WAVE: three-month results of a prospective FDA trialKarl G Stonecipher
Laser Center, Greensboro, NC, USA
J Refract Surg 24:S424-30. 2008..To compare visual outcomes using the WaveLight ALLEGRETTO WAVE to administer either wavefront-optimized (standard LASIK) or wavefront-guided (custom LASIK) treatments in myopic eyes...
- Role of light emitted by incandescent or fluorescent lamps in the development of myopia and astigmatismDamian Czepita
Department of Ophthalmology, Pomeranian Medical Academy, Szczecin, Poland
Med Sci Monit 10:CR168-71. 2004..The purpose of our study was to determine if the development of refractive errors night be associated with exposure to light emitted by incandescent or fluorescent lamps...
- Astigmatism in 12-year-old Australian children: comparisons with a 6-year-old populationSon C Huynh
Centre for Vision Research, Department of Ophthalmology and Westmead Millennium Institute, University of Sydney, Australia
Invest Ophthalmol Vis Sci 48:73-82. 2007To study the distributions of refractive (RA), corneal (CA), and internal astigmatism (IA) in 12-year-old Australian children and to explore differences from previous findings in 6-year-old children.
- Estimation of true corneal power after keratorefractive surgery in eyes requiring cataract surgery: BESSt formulaEdmondo Borasio
Moorfields Eye Hospital, London, United Kingdom
J Cataract Refract Surg 32:2004-14. 2006..To describe a new formula, BESSt, to estimate true corneal power after keratorefractive surgery in eyes requiring cataract surgery...
- A review of astigmatism and its possible genesisScott A Read
Contact Lens and Visual Optics Laboratory, School of Optometry, Queensland University of Technology, Brisbane, Queensland, Australia
Clin Exp Optom 90:5-19. 2007b>Astigmatism is a refractive condition encountered commonly in clinical practice. This review presents an overview of research that has been carried out examining various aspects of this refractive error...
- Toric intraocular lens versus opposite clear corneal incisions to correct astigmatism in eyes having cataract surgeryJavier Mendicute
Ophthalmology Service, Donostia Hospital, San Sebastian, Spain
J Cataract Refract Surg 35:451-8. 2009To compare toric intraocular lens (IOL) implantation with paired opposite clear corneal incisions (OCCIs) for astigmatism correction in patients having cataract surgery.
- Three-dimensional super-resolution imaging of the midplane protein FtsZ in live Caulobacter crescentus cells using astigmatismJulie S Biteen
Department of Chemistry, Stanford University, Stanford, CA 94305, USA
Chemphyschem 13:1007-12. 2012..crescentus cells at different stages of the cell cycle and find that the FtsZ superstructure is dynamic with the cell cycle, forming an open shape during the stalked stage and a dense focus during the pre-divisional stage...
- The prevalence of refractive errors among schoolchildren in Dezful, IranAkbar Fotouhi
Epidemiology and Biostatistics Department, School of Public Health, Tehran University of Medical Sciences, Tehran, Iran
Br J Ophthalmol 91:287-92. 2007..To determine the prevalence of refractive errors among schoolchildren in urban and rural areas of Dezful County, Iran...
- Collagen copolymer toric posterior chamber phakic intraocular lenses to correct high myopic astigmatismJose F Alfonso
Fernández Vega Ophthalmological Institute, Surgery Department, School of Medicine, University of Oviedo, Spain
J Cataract Refract Surg 36:1349-57. 2010To assess the safety, efficacy, stability, and predictability after implantation of a toric intraocular copolymer (Collamer) lens (pIOL) to correct high myopic astigmatism.
- Collagen copolymer toric posterior chamber phakic intraocular lens for myopic astigmatism: one-year follow-upJose F Alfonso
Surgery Department, Fernández Vega Ophthalmological Institute, School of Medicine, University of Oviedo, Oviedo, Portugal
J Cataract Refract Surg 36:568-76. 2010To assess the predictability, efficacy, safety, and stability of collagen copolymer toric phakic intraocular lens (pIOL) implantation to correct moderate to high myopic astigmatism.
- Precut tissue for Descemet's stripping automated endothelial keratoplasty: vision, astigmatism, and endothelial survivalMark A Terry
Devers Eye Institute, Portland, Oregon 97210, USA
Ophthalmology 116:248-56. 2009..To report 6 and 12 month results using precut tissue for Descemet's stripping automated endothelial keratoplasty (DSAEK) and correlate donor characteristics with clinical outcomes...
- [Femtosecond lenticule extraction (FLEx) - Results after 12 months in myopic astigmatism]M Blum
Augenklinik, HELIOS Klinikum Erfurt GmbH, Erfurt
Klin Monbl Augenheilkd 227:961-5. 2010..This clinical trial is focussed on the 12-month results of a new method for refractive correction, femtosecond lenticule extraction (FLEx)...
- [Corneal ring segments (INTACS) for the treatment of asymmetrical astigmatism of the keratoconus. Follow-up after 2 years]Z Tunc
Service d Ophtalmologie, Kadir Has University, Istanbul, Turquie
J Fr Ophtalmol 26:824-30. 2003To evaluate the use of corneal ring segments (INTACS) for the treatment of asymmetrical astigmatism in keratoconus.
- Topography-Guided vs Wavefront-Optimized Surface Ablation for Myopia Using the WaveLight Platform: A Contralateral Eye StudyKhalil Ghasemi Falavarjani
Eye Research Center, Iran University of Medical Science, Iran
J Refract Surg 27:13-7. 2011..to compare treatments with wavefront-optimized and topography-guided ablations...
- Wavefront-guided LASIK for the correction of primary myopia and astigmatism a report by the American Academy of OphthalmologySteven C Schallhorn
American Academy of Ophthalmology, Quality Care and Knowledge Base Development, P O Box 7424, San Francisco, CA 94120 7424, USA
Ophthalmology 115:1249-61. 2008To describe wavefront-guided (WFG) LASIK for the primary treatment of low to moderate levels of myopia and astigmatism and to examine the evidence on the safety and effectiveness of the procedure in comparison with conventional LASIK.
- Epidemiology and heritability of astigmatism in Norwegian twins: an analysis of self-reported dataAndrej M Grjibovski
Division of Epidemiology, Norwegian Institute of Public Health, Nydalen, Oslo, Norway
Ophthalmic Epidemiol 13:245-52. 2006To describe the occurrence and heritability of astigmatism in a population-based sample of Norwegian twins.
- Randomized prospective clinical study comparing induced aberrations with IntraLase and Hansatome flap creation in fellow eyes: potential impact on wavefront-guided laser in situ keratomileusisDan B Tran
Coastal Vision Medical Group, Inc, University of California Irvine, Irvine, California, USA
J Cataract Refract Surg 31:97-105. 2005..To measure and compare the changes in objective wavefront aberration and subjective manifest refraction after laser in situ keratomileusis (LASIK) flap creation with a mechanical microkeratome and a femtosecond laser...
- Dominant genetic effects on corneal astigmatism: the genes in myopia (GEM) twin studyMohamed Dirani
Centre for Eye Research Australia, University of Melbourne, Melbourne, Victoria, Australia
Invest Ophthalmol Vis Sci 49:1339-44. 2008This study was conducted to assess the relative influence of genetics and environment on corneal astigmatism and corneal curvature in a large sample of twins.
- Astigmatism and its determinants in the Tehran population: the Tehran eye studyHassan Hashemi
Farabi Eye Hospital, School of Medicine, Tehran University of Medical Sciences, Tehran, Iran and Noor Vision Correction Center, Tehran, Iran
Ophthalmic Epidemiol 12:373-81. 2005To determine the prevalence of astigmatism and its epidemiological risk factors in Tehran via a population-based study.
- Randomized prospective comparison of visian toric implantable collamer lens and conventional photorefractive keratectomy for moderate to high myopic astigmatismSteven Schallhorn
Department of Ophthalmology, Navy Medical Center San Diego, San Diego, CA, USA
J Refract Surg 23:853-67. 2007To compare the Visian Toric Implantable Collamer Lens (TICL), a toric phakic intraocular lens (IOL), and photorefractive keratectomy (PRK) in the correction of moderate to high myopic astigmatism.
- Wavefront-optimized ablation profiles: theoretical backgroundMichael Mrochen
Swiss Federal Institute of Technology and Institute of Biomedical Engineering, University of Zurich, Gloriastrasse 35, CH 8092 Zurich, Switzerland
J Cataract Refract Surg 30:775-85. 2004To describe a method for calculating wavefront-optimized ablation profiles to precompensate for the spherical aberration and higher-order astigmatism induced by myopic, hyperopic, and astigmatic corneal laser corrections.
- Optical quality and depth-of-field of eyes implanted with spherical and aspheric intraocular lensesSusana Marcos
Instituto de Optica, Consejo Superior de Investigaciones Cientificas, Madrid, Spain
J Refract Surg 21:223-35. 2005..To compare experimental optical performance in eyes implanted with spherical and aspheric intraocular lenses (IOLs)...
- Toric Implantable Collamer Lens for high myopic astigmatic Asian eyesJohn Chang
The Guy Hugh Chan Refractive Surgery Centre, Department of Ophthalmology, Hong Kong Sanatorium and Hospital, Hong Kong
Ophthalmology 116:2340-7. 2009To evaluate early visual outcomes, refractive outcomes, and complications of the Toric Implantable Collamer Lens (TICL) for the correction of high myopic astigmatism in Asian eyes.
- Surgically induced astigmatism in phacoemulsification, pars plana vitrectomy, and combined phacoemulsification and vitrectomy: a comparative studyC Y F Yuen
Department of Ophthalmology and Visual Sciences, The Chinese University of Hong Kong, Hong Kong, The People s Republic of China
Eye (Lond) 23:576-80. 2009To study the surgically induced astigmatism (SIA) in combined phacoemulsification and vitrectomy, and compare with that when either procedure is performed alone.
- Safety and visual outcome of Visian toric ICL implantation after corneal collagen cross-linking in keratoconusAli Fadlallah
Hotel Dieu de France Hospital, Saint Joseph University, Beirut, Lebanon
J Refract Surg 29:84-9. 2013..To evaluate the safety and clinical outcome of phakic Visian toric implantable collamer lens (ICL) (STAAR Surgical, Monrovia, CA) insertion after corneal collagen cross-linking (CXL) in progressive keratoconus...
- Clinical outcomes of posterior chamber toric phakic intraocular lens implantation for the correction of high myopic astigmatism in eyes with keratoconus: 6-month follow-upKazutaka Kamiya
Department of Ophthalmology, University of Kitasato School of Medicine, 1 15 1 Kitasato, Sagamihara, Kanagawa, 228 8555, Japan
Graefes Arch Clin Exp Ophthalmol 249:1073-80. 2011To assess the early clinical outcomes of toric implantable collamer lenses (toric ICL™, STAAR Surgical) for the correction of high myopic astigmatism with keratoconus.
- Effects of pterygium on corneal spherical power and astigmatismA Tomidokoro
Department of Ophthalmology, Omiya Red Cross Hospital, Saitama, Japan Miyata Eye Hospital, Miyazaki, Japan
Ophthalmology 107:1568-71. 2000..To evaluate prospectively the corneal refractive status before and after pterygium surgery and its relationship with preoperative pterygium size...
- Bivariate polar value analysis of surgically induced astigmatismKristian Naeser
Department of Ophthalmology, Alborg Sygehus Syd, Denmark
J Refract Surg 18:72-8. 2002To demonstrate the use of bivariate polar value analysis of surgically induced astigmatism following various cataract incisions.
- Long-term changes of the anterior corneal topography after photorefractive keratectomy for myopia and myopic astigmatismMarco Lombardo
Fondazione G B Bietti Istituto Ricerca e Cura a Carattere Scientifico IRCCS, Rome, Italy
Invest Ophthalmol Vis Sci 52:6994-7000. 2011To analyze the anterior corneal topography changes after 8 years after photorefractive keratectomy (PRK) for the correction of myopia and myopic astigmatism.
- Analysis of astigmatism in anterior segment surgeryW F Harris
Optometric Science Research Group, Department of Optometry, Rand Afrikaans University, Johannesburg, South Africa
J Cataract Refract Surg 27:107-28. 2001To demonstrate techniques for analyzing astigmatism in the context of anterior segment surgery. The techniques are applied to refractive and corneal astigmatism and to astigmatism associated with the surgery.
- Effect of pupil size on uncorrected visual acuity in astigmatic eyesKazutaka Kamiya
Department of Ophthalmology, University of Kitasato School of Medicine, 1 15 1 Kitasato, Sagamihara, Kanagawa 228 8555, Japan
Br J Ophthalmol 96:267-70. 2012..To determine the effects of pupil size on uncorrected visual acuity (UCVA) in astigmatic eyes...
- Incidence and progression of astigmatism in Singaporean childrenLouis Tong
Singapore National Eye Center, National University of Singapore
Invest Ophthalmol Vis Sci 45:3914-8. 2004This study investigated the incidence and progression, as well as factors associated with changes in astigmatism in school children.
- [Impact of pterygium size on corneal topography and visual acuity - a prospective clinical cross-sectional study]B Seitz
, Schwabachanlage 6, 91054 Erlangen, Germany
Klin Monatsbl Augenheilkd 218:609-15. 2001PURPOSE: Pterygia may cause topographic changes featuring increase of astigmatism. The purpose of this study was to quantify the impact of the head-limbus-distance (=height) and limbal base length of the pterygium on the anterior corneal ..
- Combined corneal collagen cross-linking and posterior chamber toric implantable collamer lens implantation for keratoconusGeorge D Kymionis
Institute of Vision and Optics, Faculty of Medicine, University of Crete, Crete, Greece
Ophthalmic Surg Lasers Imaging 42:e22-5. 2011..in a two-step procedure seems to be an effective method for correcting keratoconus in patients with high myopia and astigmatism. Despite the encouraging results, longer follow-up is necessary to evaluate the outcomes of this approach.
- Re-treatment after laser in situ keratomileusis for correction of myopia and myopic astigmatismM A Bragheeth
Division of Ophthalmology and Visual Sciences, B Floor, Eye Ear Nose Throat Centre, University Hospital, Queen s Medical Centre, Nottingham, UK
Br J Ophthalmol 92:1506-10. 2008To evaluate the results of laser in situ keratomileusis (LASIK) re-treatment for under correction or regression after primary LASIK procedures for myopia and myopic astigmatism.
- Clear corneal incision of 2.75 mm for cataract surgery induces little change of astigmatism in eyes with low preoperative corneal cylinderF Giansanti
Eye Clinic, Department of Oto Neuro Ophthalmological Surgical Sciences, Univ of Firenze, Firenze Italy
Eur J Ophthalmol 16:385-93. 2006..To assess the early astigmatic effect induced by 2.75 mm clear cornea incisions with different locations for cataract surgery...
- Relationship between astigmatism and aging in middle-aged and elderly JapaneseKazuko Asano
Department of Ophthalmology, Chubu National Hospital, Obu, Japan
Jpn J Ophthalmol 49:127-33. 2005To study the effect of aging on astigmatism in adult Japanese.
- Profile of anisometropia and aniso-astigmatism in children: prevalence and association with age, ocular biometric measures, and refractive statusLisa O'Donoghue
Vision Science Research Group, School of Biomedical Sciences, University of Ulster, Coleraine, Northern Ireland, United Kingdom
Invest Ophthalmol Vis Sci 54:602-8. 2013We describe the profile and associations of anisometropia and aniso-astigmatism in a population-based sample of children.
- AcrySof toric intraocular lens for post-keratoplasty astigmatismNishant Gupta
Department of Ophthalmology, Advanced Eye Centre, PGIMER, Chandigarh, India
Indian J Ophthalmol 60:213-5. 2012..The eye had clear donor graft with residual astigmatism of -6.50 diopter cylinder (DC) at 30°...
- The effect of scleral buckling surgery on corneal astigmatism, corneal thickness, and anterior chamber depthEbru Cetin
Department of Ophthalmology, Dokuz Eylul University School of Medicine, Izmir, Turkey
J Refract Surg 22:494-9. 2006..To evaluate the effect of scleral buckling surgery on corneal topography, corneal thickness, and anterior chamber depth...
- Endothelial cell loss and surgically induced astigmatism after sutureless large-incision manual cataract extraction (SLIMCE)Dennis S C Lam
Department of Ophthalmology and Visual Sciences, The Chinese University of Hong Kong, Hong Kong Eye Hospital, Third Floor, 147K Argyle St, Kowloon, Hong Kong
Arch Ophthalmol 127:1284-9. 2009..To describe a modified manual cataract extraction technique, sutureless large-incision manual cataract extraction (SLIMCE), and to report its clinical outcomes...
- Clinical comparison of 6 aberrometers. Part 2: statistical comparison in a test groupJos J Rozema
Vision Lab, University of Antwerp, Belgium
J Cataract Refract Surg 32:33-44. 2006....
- Laser-assisted subepithelial keratectomy for low to high myopia and astigmatismLee Shahinian
J Cataract Refract Surg 28:1334-42. 2002To evaluate the safety and efficacy of laser-assisted subepithelial keratectomy (LASEK) for the treatment of low to high myopia and astigmatism.
- IntraLase-enabled astigmatic keratotomy for correction of astigmatism after Descemet stripping automated endothelial keratoplasty: a case reportEliya Levinger
Department of Ophthalmology, Toronto Western Hospital, Donald K Johnson Eye Center, University Health Network, Yonge Eglinton Laser Eye Center, University of Toronto, Ontario, Canada M5T2S8
Cornea 28:1074-6. 2009The purpose of this study was to report on the treatment of high astigmatism after Descemet stripping automated endothelial keratoplasty with IntraLase (IntraLase, Inc., Irvine, CA) -enabled astigmatic keratotomy (IEAK).
- Refractive findings in children with astigmatic parents: the Sydney Myopia StudyJenny M Ip
Department of Ophthalmology, University of Sydney Centre for Vision Research, Westmead Hospital, The Westmead Millennium Institute, and the Vision Co operative Research Centre, Sydney, Australia
Am J Ophthalmol 144:304-6. 2007To examine the impact of parental astigmatism on astigmatic error and ocular biometric parameters in children.
- Safety, efficacy, and stability indices of LASEK correction in moderate myopia and astigmatismSuphi Taneri
Department of Ophthalmology, Massachusetts Eye and Ear Infirmary and the Schepens Eye Research Institute, Harvard Medical School, Boston, MA 02114, USA
J Cataract Refract Surg 30:2130-7. 2004To evaluate the visual outcomes and complications in low to moderate levels of myopia and astigmatism treated with laser-assisted subepithelial keratectomy (LASEK) with a focus on postoperative recovery.
- Which keratometer is most reliable for correcting astigmatism with toric intraocular lenses?Minwook Chang
Department of Ophthalmology, Korea University College of Medicine, Seoul, Korea
Korean J Ophthalmol 26:10-4. 2012..To evaluate the accuracy of preoperative keratometers used in cataract surgery with toric intraocular lens (IOL)...
- Laser in situ keratomileusis with a scanning excimer laser for the correction of low to moderate myopia with and without astigmatismG Balazsi
Clinique Laservue, Montreal, Quebec, Canada
J Cataract Refract Surg 27:1942-51. 2001To evaluate the safety and effectiveness of and patient satisfaction with laser in situ keratomileusis (LASIK) performed with a scanning excimer laser by experienced surgeons to correct low and moderate levels of myopia and astigmatism.
- A retrospective comparison of LASIK outcomes for myopia and myopic astigmatism with conventional NIDEK versus wavefront-guided VISX and Alcon platformsPaul J Dougherty
Dougherty Laser Vision Institute, 1821 Daily Dr, Camarillo, CA 93010, USA
J Refract Surg 24:891-6. 2008..POSE: To compare visual, refractive, and safety outcomes among a non-wavefront scanning-slit laser (NIDEK EC-5000) and wavefront-driven lasers (Alcon CustomCornea and VISX CustomVue)...
- Gene Discovery in Familial KeratoconusYutao Liu; Fiscal Year: 2013..by progressive corneal thinning and protrusion of the thinned corneal, which leads to high myopia and irregular astigmatism. It is listed as a significant public health concern and a research priority by the National Institute of ..
- MRI Biometry of the Pseudophakic Cadaver EyeSusan A Strenk; Fiscal Year: 2010..despite this renewed interest in IOLs for the correction of presbyopia (as well as myopia, hyperopia, and astigmatism), many questions remain regarding the: optic and haptic sizing and post-operative positional stability, ..
- A DATABASE OF IOL POSITION AND BEHAVIORSusan A Strenk; Fiscal Year: 2010..despite this renewed interest in IOLs for the correction of presbyopia (as well as myopia, hyperopia, and astigmatism), many questions remain regarding the: optic and haptic sizing and post-operative positional stability, ..
- Analysis of the Data from Vision in Preschoolers (VIP) StudyGui Shuang Ying; Fiscal Year: 2010..VIP-targeted vision conditions, and for detecting each specific type of refractive error (myopia, hyperopia, astigmatism, and anisometropia) with various levels of severity, by using receiver operating characteristic (ROC) analysis...
- EPIKERATOPHAKIA: THE SURGICAL CORRECTION OF APHAKIAMARGUERITE MC DONALD; Fiscal Year: 1991..of the epikeratophakia wound such that rapid visual recovery, improved dioptric predictability, and decreased astigmatism will result; 2) to compare the present method of lathing tissue grafts with two new methods, the dry state ..
- Corneal Wound Healing, Ocular Optics, and Endothelial KeratoplastyHOLLY BUTLER HINDMAN; Fiscal Year: 2013..EK procedures have now gained widespread acceptance because of the faster recovery, less astigmatism, and greater wound stability...
- Small Incision Artificial CorneaYICHIEH SHIUEY; Fiscal Year: 2013..the KeraKlear artificial cornea also avoids the common complications of corneal transplantation including high astigmatism, corneal graft failure and corneal graft rejection...
- MRI Biometry of the Pseudophakic Cadaver EyeSusan Strenk; Fiscal Year: 2007..despite this renewed interest in IOLs for the correction of presbyopia (as well as myopia, hyperopia, and astigmatism), results have been disappointing and many questions remain regarding the optic and haptic sizing and post-..
- Amblyopia in astigmatic children: Development and TreatmentErin M Harvey; Fiscal Year: 2013..Studies of Tohono O'odham children, 30 to 40% of whom have visually significant astigmatism, provide a unique opportunity for investigation ofthe effects of astigmatism...
- Changes in astigmatism and anisometropia with progressing myopia in COMETJane E Gwiazda; Fiscal Year: 2013..This valuable dataset presents a unique opportunity to investigate mechanisms of eye growth eventuating in astigmatism and anisometropia as well as myopia, topics not addressed in the original aims...
- Device for Facilitating Corneal TransplantationYICHIEH SHIUEY; Fiscal Year: 2006..time of 1 to 2 hours, a long recovery time of 6 to 12 months, frequently large amounts of post-operative astigmatism which distorts vision, and risk of blinding complications including expulsive choroidal hemorrhage and ..
- Abnormalities in Keratoconus CorneasMARIA KENNEY; Fiscal Year: 2003Keratoconus is a corneal disorder characterized by excessive thinning of the stroma, severe irregular astigmatism and decreased visual acuity. It is a leading indication for corneal transplantation within the United States...
- ASTIGMATISM AND AMBLYOPIA AMONG NATIVE AMERICAN CHILDRENJoseph Miller; Fiscal Year: 2001High levels of astigmatism exist among Native American peoples. While the prevalence of astigmatism is well studied, its developmental course and visual consequences are poorly understood...
- EXCIMER LASER ABLATION TO CORRECT REFRACTIVE ERRORMARGUERITE MC DONALD; Fiscal Year: 1991..excimer laser for the correction of high myopia, hyperopia, high hyperopia (aphakia), and myopic and hyperopic astigmatism, in terms of safety, efficacy, stability, and long-term corneal clarity and smoothness; 2) to determine the ..
- Shack-Hartmann Corneal Topographer and AberrometerDANIEL NEAL; Fiscal Year: 2005..This optical description will include not only the routine refractive errors of myopia, hyperopia, and astigmatism normally measured by present day optometers and corneal topographers, but will also determine the irregular, ..
- ROLE OF DIETARY N-3 FATTY ACIDS IN PREMATURE INFANTSSusan Carlson; Fiscal Year: 1992..Ophthalmic screening will identify infants with myopia, hyperopia, astigmatism, aniosometria or strabismus precluding binocular testing...
- Adjustable Phakic Intraocular LensShiao Chang; Fiscal Year: 2003..acrylic light adjustable phakic intraocular lens (LAL) for the treatment of high myopia and high myopia with astigmatism. The phakic LAL is an IOL whose power can be precisely adjusted with light 2-4 weeks after implantation to ..
- POST-OPERATIVE ADJUSTMENT OF INTRAOCULAR LENS POWERCHRISTIAN SANDSTEDT; Fiscal Year: 2000..acrylate, lens fabrication, irradiation and dose-response curve measurement, and the introduction of selective astigmatism, including correction for hyperopia and myopia...
- Femtosecond Laser Posterior Lamellar KeratoplastyTibor Juhasz; Fiscal Year: 2004..Disadvantages of the procedure include high corneal astigmatism, sundry suture complications and a weak graft-host junction that is susceptible to wound dehiscence...
- Shack-Hartman Corneal Topographer and AberrometerLarry Thibos; Fiscal Year: 2002..This optical description will include not only the routine refractive errors of defocus and astigmatism normally measured by present-day optometers and corneal topographers, but will also determine the irregular, ..
- COLLABORATIVE LONGITUDINAL EVALUATION KERATOCONUS STUDYKarla Zadnik; Fiscal Year: 2004Keratoconus is typically characterized by marked irregular corneal astigmatism and corneal thinning, resulting in long-term dependence on rigid gas permeable contact lenses for correcting the corneal irregularity and producing usable ..
- INTRACORNEAL LENS FOR THE CORRECTION OF HYPEROPIAALOK NIGAM; Fiscal Year: 2000..The technology can be easily expanded to address other refractive problems like myopia and astigmatism. In addition, Nutrapore(TM) material will find application for implantable devices in other parts of the body...
- LASER WELDING OF OCULAR TISSUESWILLIAM JEFFERS; Fiscal Year: 1993..is the development of laser tissue welding as an adjunct to homogeneous wound healing, and reduce residual astigmatism in corneal transplantation...
- Adjustable Phakic Intraocular LensShiao Chang; Fiscal Year: 2007..to imprecise IOL power determinations, uncorrected visual acuity is often limited by pre-existing or induced astigmatism, making it necessary for the PIOL patient to continue with some form of spectacle correction or undergo an ..
- LASER SYSTEM FOR PHOTOTHERMAL INTRASTROMAL KERATOPLASTYLEIF FREDIN; Fiscal Year: 1991..beam profile, spot size, pattern, and slew rate) shall be optimized for treatment of myopia, hyperopia, and astigmatism. In Phase 1 program research, a prototype laser system shall be constructed and evaluated for its utility in ..
- SPATIALLY RESOLVED OPTOMETER FOR HUMAN EYESLarry Thibos; Fiscal Year: 1999..Such an optometer will determine not only the routine refractive errors of defocus and astigmatism normally measured by clinical optometers, but will also determine the higher-order optical aberrations (e.g...
- Low-cost High-resolution fundus cameraPETER NONE SOLIZ; Fiscal Year: 2010..In Phase I, a low-cost means for removing low-order aberrations, focus and astigmatism, was demonstrated...
- THERAPEUTIC CORRECTION OF ASTIGMATISM WITH EXCIMER PRKCHARLES MUNNERLYN; Fiscal Year: 1991..The proposed devise would correct high amounts of astigmatism for which treatment with glasses and contact lenses is problematic because of induced binocular vision problems ..
- INTEGRATED ASSESSMENT OF CORNEAL FORM AND FUNCTIONSTEPHEN KLYCE; Fiscal Year: 2006..visual performance in the form of increased internal light scatter and optical aberrations due to irregular astigmatism. The central theme of this research proposal is the refinement and application of a mathematical model that ..
- Improved data collection for FEI TF20 and Philips CM12 electron microscopesEsther Bullitt; Fiscal Year: 2009..The 1K x 1K CCD that is currently on theTF20 is an excellent tool for astigmatism correction, focus adjustment, and for checking a sample after a low dose image has been recorded on film...
- Pathobiology of Corneal DiseasePamela Farthing Nayak; Fiscal Year: 2005..corneal dystrophy which is characterized by progressive stromal thinning, severe nearsightedness, irregular astigmatism and scarring in the visual axes, is a leading cause of corneal transplantation in the US...
- MULTI-WAVELENGTH LASER ARRAYS FOR MEDICAL IMAGINGJACK JEWELL; Fiscal Year: 1993..Unlike conventional diode lasers, VCSELs emit low-divergence, circularly-symmetric beams which are free from astigmatism, and are thus ideally suited for imaging applications...
- CONTACT LENS EVALUATION IN KERATOCONUSJoseph Barr; Fiscal Year: 1990..It is typically associated with marked irregular corneal astigmatism and is characterized by axial corneal scarring as the disease progresses...
- Multimode Multispectral Digital Vision Screening SystemJAMES KENNEMER; Fiscal Year: 2003..have significant limitations, including excessive over-referral rates, inability to detect all angles of astigmatism, and weaknesses in the detection of media opacities, particularly in various ethnic groups that comprise a ..
- Postoperative Adjustment of Intraocular Lens PowerShiao Chang; Fiscal Year: 2002..the calculation of IOL power is often imprecise due to pre-operative measurement error, post-operative astigmatism from irregular wound healing, or variability in the placement of an IOL...
- ABLATABLE MASK FOR LASER REPROFILING OF THE CORNEARAYMOND HENRY; Fiscal Year: 1992..Myopic and hyperopic conditions, scars, opacities, and astigmatism can theoretically benefit from laser surgery. Some 140 million U.S. citizens use corrective vision devices...
- CORNEAL PHYSIOLOGY AND KERATOPLASTY INDUCED GLAUCOMARandall Olson; Fiscal Year: 1980..close match between the recipient opening and the donor tissue, both in regards to this iatrogenic glaucoma and astigmatism. We are currently interested in variations of current techniques and also new techniques that will result in a ..
- EMMETROPIZATION AND DEVELOPMENT OF MYOPIA IN CHILDRENJane Gwiazda; Fiscal Year: 2005..Specific Aim 2: To investigate the role of ocular aberrations, including astigmatism, in the etiology of myopia...
- THERAPEUTIC CORRECTION OF HYPEROPIA WITH EXCIMER PRKWILLIAM TELFAIR; Fiscal Year: 1992..Patients manifesting large amounts of hyperopic astigmatism, e.g...
- SURFACE MODIFICATION OF CORNEAL ONLAY LENSESDAVID CLAPPER; Fiscal Year: 1993..for this research is to make possible the use of corneal overlay procedures for correction of aphakia, myopia, astigmatism, and other current refractive error conditions...
- Low cost, wearable, autorefraction deviceSTEPHEN FANTONE; Fiscal Year: 2004..the quality of prescriptions written in the developing world, to improve the early diagnosis of hyperopia and astigmatism in the United States of America, and increase the coverage and effectiveness of screening both in the US and ..
- OPTICAL AND NEURAL FACTORS IN NIGHT VISIONNANCY COLETTA; Fiscal Year: 2002..quality in normal eyes and to determine whether enhancement of the peripheral optics, such as by correcting astigmatism, would improve visibility in the peripheral visual field for night vision tasks...
- Femtosecond Laser Anterior Lamellar KeratoplastyRonald Kurtz; Fiscal Year: 2002..surgical skill requirements, and speed visual recovery (often delayed with current techniques due to induced astigmatism)...
- CONFOCAL LASER SCANNING MICROSCOPE - VIDEO,VECTOR & ZOOMJEAN MONTAGU; Fiscal Year: 1992..scanners, reactionless resonant scanners and the "paddle scanner" configuration (which nearly eliminates any astigmatism from the system)...
- Scanning Ocular Aberration Measurement (SAM) SystemEDWIN SARVER; Fiscal Year: 2007..In addition, the ability to measure these aberrations dynamically while the eye is changing focus from a distant to a near object will be provided. [unreadable] [unreadable] [unreadable] [unreadable]..
- Multi-Resolution Corneal Topography (MRCT)EDWIN SARVER; Fiscal Year: 2006..research grant ..
- Subjective Refraction by Meridional Power MatchingEDWIN SARVER; Fiscal Year: 2002..Technological Innovation: Providing an accurate, low-cost, low-maintenance refractor that can be easily transported and used in hostile environments. PROPOSED COMMERCIAL APPLICATION: NOT AVAILABLE ..
- OPTICAL AND RETINAL LIMITS TO HUMAN VISUAL PERFORMANCELarry N Thibos; Fiscal Year: 2010..Project 6. Develop a new concept of wavefront tomography to characterize the 3-dimensional structure of the eye's optical system from a series of wavefront measurements along multiple lines-of-sight. ..
- A novel therapeutic for the treatment of persistent corneal epithelial defectsBennie H Jeng; Fiscal Year: 2010..The results of this study could therefore support and lead to the commercialization of this non-surgical method for enhancing epithelial wound healing, which could ultimately benefit nearly 23,000 corneas in the United States annually. ..
- ABERRATIONS OF EYES IN NORMAL AND CLINICAL POPULATIONSRaymond A Applegate; Fiscal Year: 2010..abstract_text> ..
- Computer-Aided Interpretation of Oculometric DataMichael Smolek; Fiscal Year: 2006..For patients, refractive surgery outcomes will be more predictable, and they will benefit from earlier detection of diseases such as cataracts and corneal ectasias. ..
- CONTACT LENSES AND MYOPIA (CLAMP) STUDYJEFFREY WALLINE; Fiscal Year: 2003..00 D and -3.00 D (spherical component) of myopia in each eye, less than 1.00 D of astigmatism in both eyes, less than 1...
- EYE GROWTH DURING INFANCYScott Lambert; Fiscal Year: 2001..In addition, by understanding the mechanisms retarding ocular growth, it may be possible to modulate the excessive ocular growth which occurs in certain pathological conditions such as retinopathy of prematurity. ..
- International Collaborative Twin Study of Refractive and Glaucoma EndophenotypesTerri Young; Fiscal Year: 2009..This effort may lead to effective therapies for these potentially blinding disorders. ..
- New Approaches to Subjective RefractionThomas Raasch; Fiscal Year: 2003..This includes evaluating this approach to astigmatic determination in trial lens refraction, and in combination with portable optometers. ..
- Preschool Vision Screening in Primary Care SettingsAlex Kemper; Fiscal Year: 2007....
- 3D ELECTRON MICROSCOPY OF THE ATPase HRS-2PAWEL PENCZEK; Fiscal Year: 2005..4) Determination of the effect of ATP binding on the structure of hrs-2. (5) Determination of the structural basis for the mechanism by which hrs-2 inhibits SNARE complex formation. ..
- OCULAR DEVELOPMENT IN INFANCY/EARLY CHILDHOODDonald Mutti; Fiscal Year: 2005..abstract_text> ..
- High Resolution and High Contrast Near-IR Imaging of the Human FundusNathan Doble; Fiscal Year: 2006..Under this proposal, new imaging technology will be developed to fight debilitating eye disease resulting in earlier disease detection, faster drug clinical trials, and better medical understanding. [unreadable] [unreadable] [unreadable]..
- Longitudinal Analysis of Silicone Hydrogel (LASH) StudyLoretta Szczotka Flynn; Fiscal Year: 2008..224 patients will be enrolled and followed for three years in this longitudinal cohort study. ..