Summary: Hemorrhage within the orbital cavity, posterior to the eyeball.
Publications129 found, 100 shown here
- Late orbital haemorrhage around alloplastic orbital floor implants: a case series and reviewJagjit Singh Gilhotra
Orbital, Plastic and Lacrimal Unit, Royal Victorian Eye and Ear Hospital, Melbourne, Victoria, Australia
Clin Experiment Ophthalmol 30:352-5. 2002..Alloplastic implants have been used to repair orbital wall fractures and correct anophthalmic enophthalmos (or volume deficiency in an anophthalmic socket). Orbital haemorrhage is a rare complication of these implants...
- Proptosis after hair pullingChee Chew Yip
Cincinnati Eye Institute and The University of Cincinnati College of Medicine, Department of Ophthalmology, Cincinnati, Ohio, U S A
Ophthal Plast Reconstr Surg 19:154-5. 2003..Hair pulling can result in a subgaleal bleed with extension to the orbital subperiosteal space. When managing patients with a subgaleal hematoma, this vision-threatening complication should be considered and treated accordingly...
- Retrobulbar haemorrhage associated with chronic Gingko biloba ingestionK C S Fong
Department of Ophthalmology, Charing Cross Hospital, London
Postgrad Med J 79:531-2. 2003..A case is reported of a woman who developed this complication and was subsequently found to have been taking Gingko biloba extract tablets which may have predisposed her to developing the haemorrhage...
- Acute retrobulbar haemorrhage: an ophthalmic emergencyKam Chuen Shek
Accident and Emergency Department, Tuen Mun Hospital, Tuen Mun, NT, Hong Kong SAR, China
Emerg Med Australas 18:299-301. 2006..We presented a case of acute retrobulbar haemorrhage with profound reduction of vision. Emergency surgical decompression was performed to preserve the vision. Clinical features and management are discussed...
- Retrobulbar hemorrhage after sub-Tenon's anesthesiaShanu Subbiah
Royal Victoria Hospital, Belfast, United Kingdom
J Cataract Refract Surg 33:1651-2. 2007We present a case of retrobulbar hemorrhage complicating sub-Tenon's anesthesia in a patient receiving oral anticoagulants. To our knowledge, this has been described only once in the literature.
- Retrobulbar hemorrhage following strabismus surgeryChantal Ares
Montreal Children s Hospital, Ophthalmology Department, McGill University, Montreal, Quebec, Canada
J AAPOS 10:594-5. 2006b>Retrobulbar hemorrhage, although a well-known complication of retrobulbar injection, periocular injections, and periocular surgeries, is not routinely associated with strabismus surgery...
- Retrobulbar hemorrhage resulting from syncopal seizures after a dental procedureRicky Kue
Department of Emergency Medicine, University of Massachusetts Medical School, Worcester, MA 01655, USA
Am J Emerg Med 25:228-30. 2007
- Spontaneous retrobulbar hemorrhage in type IV Ehlers-Danlos syndromeSaad Shaikh
William Beaumont Hospital, Royal Oak, Michigan 48073, USA
Am J Ophthalmol 133:422-4. 2002To describe a case of spontaneous retrobulbar hemorrhage in type IV Ehlers-Danlos syndrome, a disorder characterized by vascular fragility and associated severe bleeding problems.
- Retrobulbar hemorrhage after sub-Tenon's anesthesiaImran Rahman
Manchester Royal Eye Hospital, Manchester, United Kingdom
J Cataract Refract Surg 30:2636-7. 2004We present a case of retrobulbar hemorrhage from uneventful, infranasal, sub-Tenon's anesthesia before cataract surgery. To our knowledge, this is the first report of such a complication.
- Traumatic retrobulbar hemorrhage: emergent decompression by lateral canthotomy and cantholysisSusi Vassallo
Department of Surgery Division of Emergency Medicine, New York University School of Medicine, Bellevue Hospital Center, New York, New York, USA
J Emerg Med 22:251-6. 2002Traumatic retrobulbar hemorrhage may result in acute loss of vision that is reversible when recognized and treated promptly. A case of traumatic retrobulbar hemorrhage is presented...
- Orbital and adnexal trauma associated with open-globe injuriesMark P Hatton
Trauma Service, Department of Ophthalmology, Massachusetts Eye and Ear Infirmary, Boston, USA
Ophthal Plast Reconstr Surg 18:458-61. 2002..To describe the incidence and patterns of orbital and adnexal injuries in patients with open-globe injuries...
- Pterional orbital decompression in diseases with acute increase of intraorbital pressureMarcus C Korinth
Department of Neurosurgery, University Hospital RWTH, Aachen, Germany
Orbit 21:271-80. 2002..The treatment of this rare entity with extended pterional orbital decompression is described in comparison with other methods of orbital decompression...
- An unusual complication of thrombolysis--bilateral retro-orbital haematomataW Ahmar
Department of General Medicine, Intensive Care and Diagnostic Haematology, The Royal Melbourne Hospital, Victoria
Anaesth Intensive Care 33:271-3. 2005..The haematomata developed two days post-thrombolysis with marked visual impairment. Visual acuity was restored following bilateral drainage of the superior aspects of the retro-orbital space...
- Subperiosteal orbital hemorrhage complicating cardiac surgeryMarc C Peden
Department of Ophthalmology, University of Florida College of Medicine, Gainsville, Florida, USA
Cardiovasc Intervent Radiol 27:294-6. 2004..A computed tomography (CT) study demonstrated a right superior SPOH. The diplopia and proptosis resolved spontaneously within 4 weeks. Follow-up CT showed complete resolution of the SPOH...
- Aplastic anemia presenting as spontaneous orbital hemorrhageJ D Grove
Division of Ophthalmology, Faculty of Health Sciences, University of Stellenbosch, Tygerberg, South Africa
Orbit 27:391-3. 2008..CT scan revealed a unilateral proptosis with tension on the optic nerve and accompanying diffuse retrobulbar hemorrhage. Bone marrow studies confirmed aplastic anemia...
- Orbital varix rupture during cataract surgeryMiwako Yoshimoto
Department of Ophthalmology, Tokyo Teishin Hospital, Tokyo, Japan
J Cataract Refract Surg 30:722-5. 2004..Although intermittent exophthalmos is a symptom of orbital varix, silent orbital varix should be considered when selecting the method of anesthesia for ocular surgery...
- Spontaneous subperiosteal orbital hemorrhage following thrombolytic therapy for myocardial infarctionValery Diatchuk
Department of Ophthalmology, Western Galilee Nahariya Medical Center, Nahariya, Israel
Ophthal Plast Reconstr Surg 23:482-4. 2007..Conservative treatment with cold compresses in the absence of visual impairment may be sufficient, as was in our patient and others...
- A case report of traumatic eye compartment syndromeMaureen Harrahill
Oregon Health Sciences University, Portland, Oregon, USA
J Emerg Nurs 32:104-5. 2006
- Delayed orbital subperiosteal hemorrhage after blunt traumaBulent Yazici
Department of Ophthalmology, Uludag University, Bursa, Turkey
Ophthal Plast Reconstr Surg 23:315-6. 2007..Although rare, vision-threatening subperiosteal hemorrhages may develop days after blunt orbital trauma and may require surgical evacuation...
- Nontraumatic subperiosteal orbital hemorrhageM L Atalla
Royal Victorian Eye and Ear Hospital, Melbourne, Australia
Ophthalmology 108:183-9. 2001..It is nearly always superior. The clinical and radiologic features are sufficiently characteristic to allow conservative treatment in the absence of visual compromise...
- Blindness after cosmetic blepharoplasty: case reportFlavio Mac Cord Medina
Universidade Estadual de Campinas, Sao Paulo, SP
Arq Bras Oftalmol 68:697-9. 2005..The etiology of retrobulbar hemorrhage following blepharoplasty, treatment, and recommendations to reduce the chance of this rare but serious ..
- Amaurosis and anesthesia techniqueScott Greenbaum
J Cataract Refract Surg 31:256; author reply 256. 2005
- Delayed orbital hemorrhage after cataract surgery in a patient with an acquired factor VIII inhibitorW L White
University of Missouri, Kansas City, USA
Am J Ophthalmol 132:785-6. 2001..CONCLUSION: Delayed postoperative retrobulbar hemorrhage may cause total loss of vision in patients with acquired factor VIII antibodies.
- Botulinum toxin A in surgically overcorrected and undercorrected strabismusSorot Wutthiphan
Department of Ophthalmology, Priest Hospital, Bangkok, Thailand
J Med Assoc Thai 91:S86-91. 2008..To evaluate the effectiveness and safety of botulinum toxin A injection in treating overcorrected and undercorrected strabismus after unsatisfactory postoperative alignment...
- Fibrovascularization of porous polyethylene (Medpor) orbital implant in a rabbit modelD R Jordan
University of Ottawa Eye Institute, Ottawa, Ontario, Canada
Ophthal Plast Reconstr Surg 20:136-43. 2004..To evaluate the porous polyethylene (Medpor) orbital implant in a rabbit model and compare it with three other currently available porous implants: Bio-Eye coralline hydroxyapatite (HA), FCI(3) synthetic HA, and aluminum oxide (Bioceramic)...
- Peribulbar blockade with a short needle for phacoemulsification surgeryW Riad
Department of Anesthesia, King Khaled Eye Specialist Hospital, Riyadh, Saudi Arabia
Acta Anaesthesiol Scand 53:247-50. 2009..The potential complications of this technique include central spread, globe perforation and retrobulbar hemorrhage. The 25 mm needle is the most common needle used to perform the block...
- Bilateral retrobulbar hemorrhage and visual loss following traumatic asphyxiaYoung Joo Choi
Department of Ophthalmology, Ulsan University Hospital, Ulsan University College of Medicine, Ulsan, Korea
Korean J Ophthalmol 24:380-3. 2010b>Retrobulbar hemorrhage and permanent visual loss are rare presentations following traumatic asphyxia...
- Emergency lateral canthotomy and cantholysis: a simple procedure to preserve vision from sight threatening orbital hemorrhageSteven Roy Ballard
University of Tennessee, Memphis, USA
J Spec Oper Med 9:26-32. 2009b>Retrobulbar hemorrhage is an uncommon, but potentially devastating complication associated with facial trauma...
- Bilateral orbital subperiosteal hemorrhage following laborJohnson C Tan
Department of Ophthalmology, Tan Tock Seng Hospital, Singapore
Ophthal Plast Reconstr Surg 27:e59-63. 2011....
- Posttraumatic subperiosteal hematomas of the orbit in childrenBulent Yazici
Department of Ophthalmology, Uludag University, Bursa, Turkey
Ophthal Plast Reconstr Surg 27:33-7. 2011..To describe 5 pediatric patients with traumatic orbital subperiosteal hematoma and review the relevant literature...
- Delayed orbital hematoma after lateral canthoplastyDavid Y Kim
Division of Oculoplastic Surgery, Department of Ophthalmology, Weill Cornell Medical College, New York, New York 10021, USA
Ophthal Plast Reconstr Surg 26:481-3. 2010A 76-year-old man was referred to the oculoplastic surgery service with a retrobulbar hemorrhage 1 day after intraocular surgery. A canthotomy and inferior cantholysis was performed...
- "Blind spots" in forensic autopsy: improved detection of retrobulbar hemorrhage and orbital lesions by postmortem computed tomography (PMCT)P M Flach
Institute of Forensic Medicine, University of Zurich, Winterthurerstrasse 190 52, 8057 Zurich, Switzerland Department of Diagnostic and Interventional Radiology, University Hospital of Zurich, Raemistrasse 100, 8091 Zurich, Switzerland Institute of Forensic Medicine, University of Bern, Buehlstrasse 20, 3012 Bern, Switzerland Electronic address
Leg Med (Tokyo) 16:274-82. 2014The purpose of this study was to correlate the occurrence of retrobulbar hemorrhage (RBH) with mechanism of injury, external signs and autopsy findings to postmortem computed tomography (PMCT).
- Sudden orbital emphysema occurred during rhinoplasty operationKemal Findikcioglu
Department of Plastic, Reconstructive and Aesthetic Surgery, Konya Training and Research Hospital, Konya, Turkey
J Craniofac Surg 21:609-10. 2010..We have reviewed the literature for orbital-periorbital complications due to rhinoplasty operations and discussed the treatment choices for orbital emphysema...
- Proptosis immediately following blepharoplasty due to an inferior rectus intramuscular hematomaJames D Schlenker
Division of Plastic Surgery, Beth Israel Deaconess Medical Center, Harvard Medical School, Boston, MA 02115, USA
Ann Plast Surg 56:437-8. 2006
- Orbital haemorrhage with loss of vision in a patient with disseminated intravascular coagulation and prostatic carcinomaSaurabh Goyal
Department of Ophthalmology, Kings College Hospital, London, UK
Orbit 23:193-7. 2004..This case emphasises the importance of considering systemic factors in cases of non-traumatic haemorrhage, along with imaging studies to rule out any co-existing vascular anomaly...
- Delayed retrobulbar haemorrhage after Ahmed glaucoma implant: a case reportC H Y Chan
Eye (Lond) 20:494-5. 2006
- Ophthalmic regional anesthesia: medial canthus episcleral (sub-tenon) single injection blockEmmanuel Nouvellon
Département anesthésie douleur, Hopital Caremeau, place du Professeur Debré, 30029 Nimes, France
Anesthesiology 100:370-4. 2004..The purpose of this study was to evaluate the efficacy and safety of episcleral single-injection anesthesia in a large number of patients...
- Evaluation of intraocular and orbital pressure in the management of orbital hemorrhage: an experimental modelChristopher I Zoumalan
Department of Ophthalmology, Stanford University School of Medicine, Stanford, California, USA
Arch Ophthalmol 126:1257-60. 2008..To evaluate orbital pressure (OP), intraocular pressure (IOP), and the effectiveness of canthotomy, cantholysis, and septolysis using an experimental orbital hemorrhage model...
- Idiopathic orbital hemorrhage related to the inferior rectus muscle: a rare cause for acute-onset diplopia and unilateral proptosisGuy J Ben Simon
Orbital, Plastic and Lacrimal Clinic, Royal Victorian Eye and Ear Hospital, Melbourne, Australia
Ophthalmology 112:1838-43. 2005..To report 6 patients with spontaneous orbital hemorrhage in relation to the inferior rectus muscle...
- Nontraumatic subperiosteal bilateral orbital hemorrhages after mitral valve repairDeepak Mangla
Lions Eye Institute, Albany Medical College, Slingerlands and Division of Cardiothoracic Surgery, Albany Medical College, Albany, New York, U S A
Ophthal Plast Reconstr Surg 30:e1-2. 2014..The case presentation conforms to the tenets of the Declaration of Helsinki and is Health Insurance Portability and Accountability Act compliant. The etiology and management of this uncommon and dangerous entity will be discussed. ..
- Double consecutive retrobulbar hemorrhage in a high-risk patient in treatment with aspirin and warfarinStefano Viterbo
Division of Maxillofacial Surgery, Head and Neck Department, San Giovanni Battista Hospital, University of Turin, Turin, Italy
J Craniofac Surg 23:1782-4. 2012b>Retrobulbar hemorrhage is a vision-threatening emergency that may occur spontaneously or following facial trauma, orbital surgery, endoscopic sinus surgery, and retrobulbar injections...
- Post-traumatic eye observations M.C. Bater, P.L. Ramchandani, P.A. Brennan, Br. J. Oral Maxillofac. Surg. 43 (2005) 410-416Kathleen Richardson
Br J Oral Maxillofac Surg 45:173-4. 2007
- Orbital compression syndrome in sickle cell diseaseJason A Sokol
Department of Ophthalmology, Albert Einstein College of Medicine AECOM Montefiore Medical Center MMC, Bronx, New York, USA
Ophthal Plast Reconstr Surg 24:181-4. 2008..To present 3 cases of orbital compression syndrome caused by infarction of the greater wing of the sphenoid in patients with sickle cell disease...
- Surgical management of posttraumatic intraorbital hematomaMatteo Brucoli
Department of Maxillo Facial Surgery, Azienda Ospedaliera Maggiore della Carita, University of Piemonte Orientale Amedeo Avogadro, Novara, Italy
J Craniofac Surg 23:e58-61. 2012..Other procedures including transantral ethmoidectomy, transantral sphenoidectomy, and transfrontal craniotomy are described...
- Management of severely bleeding ethmoidal arteriesIacopo Dallan
ENT Unit, Azienda Ospedaliero Universitaria Pisana, Pisa, Italy
J Craniofac Surg 20:450-4. 2009..Clinical features of EA bleeding are rather extensive because it can occur within the nasal cavity or in orbital spaces. Furthermore, surgical management of EA bleeding is challenging...
- Retrobulbar hemorrhage nine days after cosmetic blepharoplasty resulting in permanent visual lossChristopher C Teng
New York University School of Medicine, Department of Ophthalmology, New York, New York 10016, USA
Ophthal Plast Reconstr Surg 22:388-9. 2006A healthy 45-year-old man had a retrobulbar hemorrhage 9 days after cosmetic upper eyelid blepharoplasty that resulted in permanent visual loss...
- Retrobulbar primitive neuroectodermal tumor in a squirrel monkey (Saimiri sciureus)Wijit Banlunara
Department of Pathology, Faculty of Veterinary Science, Chulalongkorn University, Bangkok, Thailand
J Med Primatol 41:43-7. 2012..A 2.8-year-old female captive-bred common squirrel monkey (Saimiri sciureus) showed exophthalmos of the right eye, and the eye was surgically enucleated. A tumor mass was found in the eye...
- Treating traumatic retrobulbar haemorrhageKenneth C Fong
Hosp Med 64:496; author reply 496. 2003
- Retrobulbar hematoma as a rare complication after secondary correction of enophthalmosChih Hao Chen
Division of Trauma Plastic Surgery, Department of Plastic and Reconstructive Surgery, College of Medicine, Chang Gung Institute of Technology, Chang Gung Memorial Hospital, Chang Gung University, Taipei, Taiwan, Republic of China
J Craniofac Surg 20:963-7. 2009..Retrobulbar hematoma was confirmed by computed tomography, and immediate medical and surgical treatments were instituted. The vision of the patient recovered gradually during outpatient follow-up...
- Postmortem orbital findings in shaken baby syndromeTamara Wygnanski-Jaffe
Department of Ophthalmology and Vision Sciences, The Hospital for Sick Children, University of Toronto, Toronto, Canada
Am J Ophthalmol 142:233-40. 2006..To compare postmortem orbital findings in pediatric accidental head injury to Shaken Baby Syndrome (SBS)...
- Spontaneous subperiosteal orbital hemorrhageMaxwell D Elia
Yale University School of Medicine, Ophthalmology and Visual Science, 40 Temple Street, New Haven, Connecticut 06510, USA
Orbit 32:333-5. 2013..This article presents a series of 9 patients (11 orbits) with SSOH and review the associated systemic conditions. 10 out of 11 orbits (91%) underwent surgical intervention due to advanced orbital signs or poor vision...
- Use of porous polyethylene with embedded titanium in orbital reconstruction: a review of 106 patientsDaniel C Garibaldi
The Wilmer Eye Institute, Johns Hopkins University School of Medicine, Baltimore, Maryland, USA
Ophthal Plast Reconstr Surg 23:439-44. 2007..To evaluate our initial experience with a porous polyethylene implant with embedded titanium in orbital reconstruction...
- Re: Bater MC, Ramchandani PL, Brennan PA. Post-traumatic eye observations. Br J Oral Maxillofac Surg 2005;43:410-6M C Bater
Br J Oral Maxillofac Surg 45:255. 2007
- Postoperative pain and vomiting after orbital wall surgery in traumaO M Theusinger
Eur J Anaesthesiol 25:695-7. 2008
- Bilateral spontaneous subperiosteal orbital hemorrhages following endoscopic retrograde cholangiopancreatographyDavid J Russell
Department of Ophthalmology, University of North Carolina at Chapel Hill, Chapel Hill, North Carolina, U S A
Ophthal Plast Reconstr Surg 27:e49-50. 2011..Ophthalmologists and gastroenterologists should be aware of this potential complication associated with this procedure...
- A porcine model for instruction of lateral canthotomyS Suner
Department of Emergency Medicine, Rhode Island Hospital, Brown University School of Medicine, Providence 02903, USA
Acad Emerg Med 7:837-8. 2000b>Retrobulbar hemorrhage is a rare condition often necessitating immediate lateral canthotomy for preservation of vision...
- [Severe complications after endonasal nasal sinus surgery. An unresolved problem]J Oeken
HNO Klinik, Klinikum Chemnitz gGmbH
HNO 52:549-53. 2004..Despite modern techniques, major and even fatal complications may occur. We describe 3 cases of unilateral blindness due to retrobulbar hematoma and one case of an internal carotid artery injury with fatal outcome...
- Ocular trauma and other catastrophesVictoria M Romaniuk
Department of Emergency Medicine, University of Maryland School of Medicine, 6th Floor, Suite 200, 110 South Paca Street, Baltimore, MD 21201, USA
Emerg Med Clin North Am 31:399-411. 2013..Recognizing, evaluating, and managing vision-threatening injuries, such as globe rupture, retrobulbar hemorrhage, intraocular foreign bodies, and hyphemas, are paramount for emergency physicians to reduce the risk of ..
- A case report of orbital haemorrhage associated with endoscopic sinus surgery and reversible sight loss: a multidisciplinary approach to managementVaneeta Sood
Department of Ophthalmology, University Hospitals, Coventry and Warwickshire NHS Trust, Coventry, United Kingdom
Orbit 32:73-5. 2013..Moreover, the mechanisms and pathophysiology of visual loss due to orbital haemorrhage following endoscopic sinus surgery are discussed...
- Byler's disease and anesthetic considerationDidem Dal
Department of Anesthesiology and Reanimation, Hacettepe University Faculty of Medicine, Ankara, Turkey
Turk J Pediatr 45:74-7. 2003..This case report describes the anesthetic features of a patient with Byler's disease in which anesthetic agents with no or minimal hepatotoxic effect should be used to avoid deterioration of liver function...
- Peribulbar block in patients scheduled for eye procedures and treated with clopidogrelEmile Calenda
Departement d Anesthesie Reanimation, Rouen University Hospital, Centre Hospitalier Universitaire de Rouen, 1 rue de Germont, 76031, Rouen Cedex, France
J Anesth 26:779-82. 2012..the lid surface area; 3 = eyelid ecchymosis all around the eye, no increase in intraocular pressure; 4 = retrobulbar hemorrhage with increased intraocular pressure. Grade 1 hemorrhages were observed in 30 patients (3...
- Ocular and periocular injuries associated with an isolated orbital fracture depending on a blunt cranial trauma: anatomical and surgical aspectsH Selim Karabekir
Department of Neurosurgery, Kocatepe University, School of Medicine, Afyonkarahisar, Turkey
J Craniomaxillofac Surg 40:e189-93. 2012..17% of cases with rhinorrhoea (n: 3), 5.17% cases with optic bulb injury and adnexial trauma (n:3), 32.76% cases with intra-orbital emphysema (n:19), and 20.69% with vision dysfunctions (n:12), of whom 2 had no optic nerve injury...
- An unusual entry site of an intraorbital foreign body in a childP S Mallika
University Malaysia Sarawak, Kuching Town Land District, Jalan Tun Ahmad Zaidi Adruce, Kuching, 93150 Sarawak, Malaysia
Med J Malaysia 66:361-2. 2011..We report a case of an IOrbFB associated with retrobulbar hemorrhage and injury of the frontal sinus in an 11 year-old boy, after history of fall from the tree...
- Attempted bilateral manual enucleation (gouging) during a physical assaultMarina Shneck
Department of Ophthalmology, Soroka Medical Center, Faculty of the Health Sciences, Ben Gurion University of Negev, Beer Sheva, Israel 84101
Ophthalmology 110:575-7. 2003..To report a rare, severe case of partial traumatic bilateral enucleation and its assessment and management...
- Use of cadaver models in point-of-care emergency ultrasound education for diagnostic applicationsBrita E Zaia
Department of Surgery, Division of Emergency Medicine, Stanford University Medical Center, Palo Alto, California, USA
J Emerg Med 43:683-91. 2012..As the use of bedside emergency ultrasound (US) increases, so does the need for effective US education...
- CT of orbital traumaHuey Jen Lee
Department of Radiology, UMDNJ New Jersey Medical School, University Hospital, 150 Bergen Street, Newark, NJ 07103, USA
Emerg Radiol 10:168-72. 2004..In order of declining frequency, the causes of reduced vision consequent to trauma were retrobulbar hemorrhage, optic nerve thickening presumably secondary to edema, intraorbital emphysema, optic nerve impingement, ..
- [The cause and management of acute high intraocular pressure in phacoemulsification]B Cheng
Zhongshan Ophthalmic Center, Sun Yat-sen University of Medical Sciences, Guangzhou 510060, China
Yan Ke Xue Bao 17:82-4. 2001..Five of 11 eyes were 0.3 to 0.5. One eye was 0.05 and one was HM/30 cm. CONCLUSION: Aqueous misdirection, retrobulbar hemorrhage and intraoperative suprachoroidal hemorrhage are common causes of acute high intracular pressure in phaco...
- Current concepts in aesthetic upper blepharoplastyRod J Rohrich
Department of Plastic Surgery, University of Texas Southwestern Medical Center, Dallas, Texas 75390, USA
Plast Reconstr Surg 113:32e-42e. 2004....
- Gene expression and pathologic alterations in juvenile rainbow trout due to chronic dietary TCDD exposureQing Liu
Department of Biological Sciences, University of Wisconsin Milwaukee, Lapham Hall, 3209 N Maryland Ave, Milwaukee, WI 53211, USA
Aquat Toxicol 140:356-68. 2013..blood, decreases in abdominal fat, increases of remodeling of fin rays, edema in pericardium and retrobulbar hemorrhage in the 100 ppb TCDD-treated rainbow trout compared to the control group at 28 days...
- Zygoma reconstructionMichael R Markiewicz
Department of Oral and Maxillofacial Surgery, Oregon Health and Science University, SDOMS, Portland, OR 97239, USA
Oral Maxillofac Surg Clin North Am 25:167-201. 2013..Traditional and contemporary concepts in posttraumatic, postablative, and esthetic reconstruction are also described...
- Mastication induced retrobulbar hemorrhageKimberly D Tran
UCSD Shiley Eye Center, Division of OculoFacial Plastic and Reconstructive Surgery, La Jolla, California, USA
Orbit 32:387-8. 2013b>Retrobulbar hemorrhage is a feared potentially sight threatening complication after orbital decompression surgery...
- When is a retrobulbar haemorrhage not a retrobulbar haemorrhage?M Allen
Department of Oral and Maxillofacial Surgery, Ulster Hospital, Belfast, Northern Ireland, United Kingdom
Int J Oral Maxillofac Surg 39:1045-9. 2010..In the authors' experience RBH is not a common cause of acute proptosis following trauma and other causes need to be considered if patients are to be managed appropriately...
- Post-traumatic eye observationsM C Bater
Maxillofacial Unit, Queen Alexandra Hospital, Cosham, Portsmouth PO6 3LY, UK
Br J Oral Maxillofac Surg 43:410-6. 2005....
- Delayed retrobulbar hematoma after blepharoplastyA A Cruz
Department of Ophthalmology, , , Brazil
Ophthal Plast Reconstr Surg 17:126-30. 2001..The patient was successfully treated with conservative measures only. CONCLUSIONS: Orbital hematoma, which is the main cause of loss of vision after blepharoplasty, can be a late postoperative complication...
- Orbital hemorrhage and compressive optic neuropathy in patients with midfacial fractures receiving low-molecular weight heparin therapyBasem T Jamal
Oral and Maxillofacial Surgery Department, Thomas Jefferson University Hospital, Philadelphia, PA, USA
J Oral Maxillofac Surg 67:1416-9. 2009..In this paper, 2 orbital hemorrhagic complications in patients receiving enoxaparin therapy will be presented. The incidence of DVT in the OMS patient, recent prophylactic strategies, and their effectiveness will be reviewed...
- [Complications of ocular local anesthesia]Andreea Craiu
Clinica de Oftalmologie a SCUMC, Bucuresti
Oftalmologia 52:41-9. 2008..Although rare, complications have been described, ranging from innocuous hemorrhage to life-threatening systemic situations...
- Acute proptosis in trauma: retrobulbar hemorrhage or orbital compartment syndrome--does it really matter?Michael Perry
Ulster Hospital, Dundonald, Belfast, United Kingdom
J Oral Maxillofac Surg 66:1913-20. 2008..To review the nature and outcomes of acute severe proptosis in patients after craniofacial trauma, over a 6-year period...
- [Traumatic lesions of the orbit]W Reith
Klinik für Diagnostische und Interventionelle Neuroradiologie, Universitatsklinikum des Saarlandes, Kirrberger Strasse, 66421 Homburg Saar
Radiologe 48:1150-4. 2008..Imaging techniques play an extremely important role in the treatment of various diagnostic question marks, such as direct sequelae of trauma, localization of fractures and soft tissue damage...
- Blepharoplasty complicationsGary J Lelli
Division of Ophthalmic Plastic and Reconstructive Surgery, Department of Ophthalmology, New York University Medical Center, New York, NY, USA
Plast Reconstr Surg 125:1007-17. 2010..When complications arise, their significance can be diminished by appropriate management. This article addresses blepharoplasty complications based on the typical postoperative timeframe when they are encountered...
- Management of orbital complications in endoscopic sinus surgeryJoseph K Han
Department of Otolaryngology and Head and Neck Surgery, Eastern Virginia Medical School, 600 Gresham Drive, Suite 1100, Norfolk, Virginia 23507, USA
Curr Opin Otolaryngol Head Neck Surg 18:32-6. 2010..This article summarizes the orbital complications that can occur during endoscopic sinus surgery, how to manage the complication when it occurs, and more importantly how to avoid these complications...
- Late-onset orbital hematoma secondary to alloplastic orbital implant mimicking transient ischemic attacksShivani Gupta
Department of Ophthalmology and Visual Sciences, Illinois Eye and Ear Infirmary, University of Illinois at Chicago, College of Medicine, Chicago, Illinois 60612, USA
Ophthal Plast Reconstr Surg 27:e18-20. 2011..This case represents an unusual presentation of a known complication associated with orbital implant placement in a patient with previously diagnosed cerebrovascular disease as the cause of his neuroophthalmologic symptoms...
- Retrobulbar hematoma associated with selective serotonin reuptake inhibitor: a case reportEllen M Van Cann
Department of Oral and Maxillofacial Surgery, University Medical Center Utrecht, Utrecht, The Netherlands
Oral Surg Oral Med Oral Pathol Oral Radiol Endod 108:e1-2. 2009..The aim was to raise awareness among surgeons performing orbital surgery of the risk of hemorrhage associated with selective serotonin reuptake inhibitors...
- Orbital venous anomaly presenting with orbital hemorrhageYun Jeong Kim
Department of Ophthalmology, Hallym University Sacred Heart Hospital, Anyang, Korea
Jpn J Ophthalmol 53:408-13. 2009..To report on the characteristics of patients with orbital venous anomaly presenting with acute orbital hemorrhage...
- Comparison of hemorrhagic complications of warfarin and clopidogrel bisulfate in 25-gauge vitrectomy versus a control groupJohn O Mason
Retina Consultants of Alabama, Birmingham, Alabama 35233, USA
Ophthalmology 118:543-7. 2011....
- The "guitar pick" sign: a novel sign of retrobulbar hemorrhageJonathan Theoret
Department of Emergency Medicine, Denver Health Medical Center, Denver, Colorado, USA
CJEM 13:162-4. 2011b>Retrobulbar hemorrhage is a rare complication of blunt ocular trauma. Without prompt intervention, permanent reduction in visual acuity can develop in as little as 90 minutes...
- Mechanisms and management of vision loss following orbital and facial traumaF C McClenaghan
Oral and Maxillofacial Department, Bart s and the London NHS Foundation Trust, London, UK
Curr Opin Ophthalmol 22:426-31. 2011..To evaluate the evidence supporting different management options for traumatic vision-threatening injury...
- Bupivacaine injection of the lateral rectus muscle to treat esotropiaAlan B Scott
The Smith Kettlewell Eye Research Institute, San Francisco, California, USA
J AAPOS 13:119-22. 2009..We report results of a pilot trial of bupivacaine injection into extraocular muscles as a method of enlarging and strengthening the muscles to treat strabismus...
- [Blindness caused by retrobulbar hemorrhage (orbital compartment syndrome)]Gusztav Klenk
Fovárosi Onkormányzat Szent János Kórháza és Eszak budai Egyesített Kórházai, Fül, Orr, Gége és Szájsebészeti Osztály Budapest
Orv Hetil 151:1537-44. 2010In the author's department, 5 patients developed retrobulbar hemorrhage from the 199 patients with midface fractures, between August 2007 and March 2010 (2.5%). 4 of these patients became irreversibly blind on the affected eye...
- Anticoagulation and cataract surgery: a review of the current literatureA Konstantatos
Department of Anaesthesia, Alfred Hospital, Prahran, Vic
Anaesth Intensive Care 29:11-8. 2001..Prognosis for visual acuity with retrobulbar haemorrhage is generally good, given an experienced surgeon is present to rapidly decompress the eye...
- Orbital haemorrhage complication following postoperative thrombolysisJ K Leong
Department of Ophthalmology, Royal Prince Alfred Hospital, Sydney, Australia
Br J Ophthalmol 87:655-6. 2003
- [Orbital haemorrhage after medial canthus episclera (sub-Tenon's) anaesthesia]S Dareau
Service d Anesthesie Reanimation, clinique mutualiste Beausoleil, 119, avenue de Lodève, 34090, Montpellier, France
Ann Fr Anesth Reanim 22:474-6. 2003..Sub-Tenon's anaesthesia, like peribulbar anaesthesia, can give also retrobulbar haemorrhage if the insertion of the needle is not limited to the anterior orbit...
- Risks and benefits of anticoagulant and antiplatelet medication use before cataract surgeryJoanne Katz
Department of International Health, Johns Hopkins Bloomberg School of Public Health, Baltimore, Maryland 21205 2103, USA
Ophthalmology 110:1784-8. 2003..To estimate the risks and benefits associated with continuation of anticoagulants or antiplatelet medication use before cataract surgery...
- Bilateral orbital hemorrhage in a newbornE M Ezzadin
Oculoplastic and Orbit Division, King Khaled Eye Specialist Hospital, Riyadh, Saudi Arabia
Am J Ophthalmol 129:531-3. 2000..To report a case of severe bilateral proptosis resulting from orbital hemorrhage in a newborn and to discuss the differential diagnoses and management...
- [Acute visual deterioration after "alternative therapy" in Russia]M Pavlidis
Augenklinik, Universitat, Munster
Ophthalmologe 102:902-5. 2005
- [Orbital fat decompression techniques]P Y Robert
Service d Ophtalmologie, CHU Dupuytren, 2, avenue Martin Luther King, 87042 Limoges
J Fr Ophtalmol 27:845-50. 2004..The main complications are retrobulbar hemorrhage and postoperative diplopia...
- Preventative effect of deferoxamine on degenerative changes in the optic nerve in experimental retrobulbar haematomaAysel Pelit
Ophthalmology Department, Baskent University, Adana, Turkey
Clin Experiment Ophthalmol 31:66-72. 2003..Changes in the optic nerve due to the breakdown of blood elements and the effect of deferoxamine on these changes were evaluated...
- Complications of supramid orbital implantsPhilip L Custer
Department of Ophthalmology and Visual Sciences, Washington University School of Medicine, St Louis, Missouri 63110, U S A
Ophthal Plast Reconstr Surg 19:62-7. 2003..To determine the incidence and risk factors of complications associated with Supramid orbital implants...
- Quantification of the neurodegenerative impact on the visual system following sudden retrobulbar expanding lesions - an experimental modelNils Claudius Gellrich
Department of Oral and Maxillofacial Surgery, Albert Ludwigs University, Freiburg, Germany
J Craniomaxillofac Surg 30:230-6. 2002..Afferent disorders of the visual system are a potential consequence following orbital trauma. The aim of this study was to investigate the tolerance of neurons in the retinal ganglion cell layer to acute expanding retrobulbar lesions...
- Bilateral orbital hemorrhage induced by laborS Oruc
Department of Ophthalmology, Adnan Menderes University Medical School, Aydin, Turkey
Eur J Ophthalmol 11:77-9. 2001..The location of the hematomas was confirmed by magnetic resonance imaging. Clinical resolution occurred in one month but both eyes remained blind. Fundoscopy revealed bilateral atrophy of the optic discs...
- Non-traumatic orbital haemorrhageT J Sullivan
Orbital Clinic, Moorfields Eye Hospital, London, UK
Clin Experiment Ophthalmol 28:26-31. 2000....
- Persistent visual loss following retrobulbar hemorrhageAnil D Patel
Department of Ophthalmology, University of Saskatchewan, Saskatoon
Can J Ophthalmol 37:34-6. 2002
- SELECTIVE REMOVAL OF EXTRAOCULAR MUSCLEAlan Scott; Fiscal Year: 2002..Aim 6 represents human pilot studies needed for design of clinical trials for the therapy developed in this proposal. ..
- Impact of adolescent pregnancy on nutritional statusJoanne Katz; Fiscal Year: 2006..Measures of nutritional status at birth include weight, length, head, chest and mid upper arm circumference. Growth of these infants through 6 months of age will also be examined, as will hemoglobin and serum retinol at 3 months of age. ..