- Self-inflicted (factitious) conjunctivitis
Medical Corps, Israel Defense Force, Israel
Ophthalmology 110:790-5. 2003
To describe the diagnosis and management of self-inflicted factitious conjunctivitis in conscripted soldiers.
- Management of the red eye for the primary care physician
Klinik fur Augenheilkunde, Vivantes Klinikum Neukölln, Berlin, Germany
Am J Med 119:302-6. 2006
..The most frequent causes of a red eye, such as dry eye, conjunctivitis, keratitis, iritis, acute glaucoma, subconjunctival hematoma, foreign bodies, corneal abrasion, and blunt or ..
- Avian influenza A virus (H7N7) associated with human conjunctivitis and a fatal case of acute respiratory distress syndrome
Ron A M Fouchier
Department of Virology and National Influenza Center, Erasmus Medical Center, Dr Molewaterplein 50, 3015 GE, Rotterdam, The Netherlands
Proc Natl Acad Sci U S A 101:1356-61. 2004
..Of these 89 patients, 78 presented with conjunctivitis, 5 presented with conjunctivitis and influenza-like illness, 2 presented with influenza-like illness, and 4 ..
- Outbreak of low pathogenicity H7N3 avian influenza in UK, including associated case of human conjunctivitis
J S Nguyen-Van-Tam
United Kingdom Health Protection Agency
Euro Surveill 11:E060504.2. 2006
- Worldwide time trends for symptoms of rhinitis and conjunctivitis: Phase III of the International Study of Asthma and Allergies in Childhood
Institute of Environmental Medicine, Karolinska Institutet, Stockholm, Sweden
Pediatr Allergy Immunol 19:110-24. 2008
..The increases were more pronounced in the older age group, suggesting that environmental influences on the development of allergy may not be limited to early childhood...
- Epidemiologic study of conjunctivitis-otitis syndrome
Service de Microbiologie, Hopital Robert Debre, Paris, France
Pediatr Infect Dis J 24:731-2. 2005
We conducted a prospective cross-sectional epidemiologic study of conjunctivitis-otitis syndrome during two 3-week periods of consecutive winters...
- Plasminogen deficiency
Hospital for Children and Adolescents, Medical Faculty of Leipzig University, Liebigstrasse 20a, Leipzig, Germany
J Thromb Haemost 5:2315-22. 2007
..Ligneous conjunctivitis is by far the most common clinical manifestation...
- The important role of nontypable Streptococcus pneumoniae international clones in acute conjunctivitis
Pediatric Infectious Disease Unit, Soroka University Medical Center and the Faculty of Health Sciences, Ben Gurion University of the Negev, Beer Sheva 84101, Israel
J Infect Dis 194:689-96. 2006
..nontypable Streptococcus pneumoniae isolates were found to be highly associated with sporadic cases of acute conjunctivitis (AC)...
- Gatifloxacin, moxifloxacin, and balofloxacin resistance due to mutations in the gyrA and parC genes of Staphylococcus epidermidis strains isolated from patients with endophthalmitis, corneal ulcers and conjunctivitis
Area Académica de Nutrición, Instituto de Ciencias de la Salud, Universidad Autonoma del Estado de Hidalgo, Pachuca, Mexico
Ophthalmic Res 42:43-8. 2009
..Our aim was to address the quinolone resistance and to explore the resistance mechanism in S. epidermidis strains isolated from ocular infections...
- Chlamydia trachomatis causing neonatal conjunctivitis in a tertiary care center
Department of Microbiology, Deen Dayal Upadhyaya Hospital, New Delhi 110 064, India
Indian J Med Microbiol 28:45-7. 2010
Chlamydia trachomatis is considered a major aetiological agent of conjunctivitis in newborns...
- Lichen planus and cicatricial conjunctivitis: disease course and response to therapy of 11 patients
J D Brewer
Department of Dermatology, Mayo Clinic, Rochester, MN, USA
J Eur Acad Dermatol Venereol 25:100-4. 2011
..Lichen planus is an autoimmune, inflammatory dermatosis of unknown cause that affects the skin and mucous membranes...
- Pathogenesis, transmissibility, and ocular tropism of a highly pathogenic avian influenza A (H7N3) virus associated with human conjunctivitis
Jessica A Belser
Influenza Division, National Center for Immunization and Respiratory Diseases, Centers for Disease Control and Prevention, Atlanta, Georgia, USA
J Virol 87:5746-54. 2013
..findings indicate that the recently isolated North American lineage H7 subtype virus associated with human conjunctivitis is capable of causing severe disease in mice and spreading to naive-contact ferrets, while concurrently ..
- External ophthalmomyiasis caused by Oestrus ovis: a rare case report from India
Department of Microbiology, Subharti Medical College, Meerut, Uttar Pradesh, India
Korean J Parasitol 47:57-9. 2009
..A 25-year-old farmer presented with severe symptoms of conjunctivitis. The larvae, 3 in number, were observed in the bulbar conjunctiva, and following removal the symptoms of eye ..
- Contact lens induced papillary conjunctivitis with silicone hydrogel lenses
Centre for Contact Lens Research, School of Optometry, University of Waterloo, Ontario, Canada
Cont Lens Anterior Eye 32:93-6. 2009
To describe the refitting of a soft lens wearer into a silicone hydrogel lens due to neovascularization. This change, in turn, caused contact lens induced papillary conjunctivitis (CLPC) and a further refitting was necessary.
- Confirmation of nontypeable Streptococcus pneumoniae-like organisms isolated from outbreaks of epidemic conjunctivitis as Streptococcus pneumoniae
Maria Gloria S Carvalho
Centers for Disease Control and Prevention, Atlanta, Georgia CNPq, Rio de Janeiro, Brazil
J Clin Microbiol 41:4415-7. 2003
Eleven isolates representing five distinct outbreaks of pneumococcal conjunctivitis were examined for phenotypic and genetic characteristics...
- Ligneous conjunctivitis
Department of Pediatrics, Leipzig University Medical School, Leipzig, Germany
Surv Ophthalmol 48:369-88. 2003
Ligneous conjunctivitis (McKusick 217090) is a rare form of chronic conjunctivitis characterized by the development of firm fibrin-rich, woody-like pseudomembraneous lesions mainly on the tarsal conjunctivae...
- Prevalence of ocular injuries, conjunctivitis and use of eye protection among dental personnel in Riyadh, Saudi Arabia
K A Al Wazzan
Department of Prosthetic Dental Sciences, King Saud University, College of Dentistry, Riyadh, Saudi Arabia
Int Dent J 51:89-94. 2001
..To find out the prevalence of ocular injury and infection among dental personnel in Riyadh, Saudi Arabia...
- Therapy with a purified plasminogen concentrate in an infant with ligneous conjunctivitis and homozygous plasminogen deficiency
Department of Pediatrics, Klinikum Mannheim, University of Heidelberg, Germany
N Engl J Med 339:1679-86. 1998
- Lichen planus and cicatrizing conjunctivitis: characterization of five cases
Jennifer E Thorne
Department of Ophthalmology, The Johns Hopkins University School of Medicine, Baltimore, Maryland 21205, USA
Am J Ophthalmol 136:239-43. 2003
To report the clinical and immunopathologic features and the response to therapy in a series of six patients with cicatrizing conjunctivitis due to lichen planus.
- Host range and dynamics of mycoplasmal conjunctivitis among birds in North America
B K Hartup
Division of Wildlife Health, College of Veterinary Medicine, Cornell University, Ithaca, New York 14853, USA
J Wildl Dis 37:72-81. 2001
An epidemic of conjunctivitis among house finches (Carpodacus mexicanus) caused by Mycoplasma gallisepticum (MG) bacterial infections was first described in 1994...
- Biofilm forming multi drug resistant Staphylococcus spp. among patients with conjunctivitis
Department of Botany and Microbiology, College of Science, King Saud University, Saudi Arabia
Pol J Microbiol 59:233-9. 2010
..They were isolated from ocular patients suffering from conjunctivitis. In this study we analyzed biofilm forming ability, antibiotic resistance profile of the Staphylococcus spp...
- Identification of an atypical zinc metalloproteinase, ZmpC, from an epidemic conjunctivitis-causing strain of Streptococcus pneumoniae
Balaraj B Menon
Schepens Eye Research Institute, Massachusetts Eye and Ear, Department of Ophthalmology, Harvard Medical School, 20 Staniford St, Boston, MA 02114, USA
Microb Pathog 56:40-6. 2013
..In this regard, we recently reported a mechanism used by a nonencapsulated, epidemic conjunctivitis-causing strain of S. pneumoniae (strain SP168) to gain access into ocular surface epithelial cells...
- Streptococcus pneumoniae ocular infections, prominent role of unencapsulated isolates in conjunctivitis
J M Marimon
Microbiology Department, Hospital Universitario Donostia Instituto BioDonostia, San Sebastian, Spain
Clin Microbiol Infect 19:E298-305. 2013
..isolates causing ocular infections in a region of northern Spain in two periods: 1999-2010 for episodes of conjunctivitis (n = 612) and 1980-2010 for uncommon and more severe non-conjunctival ocular infections (n = 36)...
- Clinical features, outcomes, and costs of a conjunctivitis outbreak caused by the ST448 strain of Streptococcus pneumoniae
Michael E Zegans
Department of Surgery, Dartmouth Hitchcock Medical Center, Lebanon, NH 03756, USA
Cornea 28:503-9. 2009
An outbreak of pneumococcal conjunctivitis occurred at Dartmouth College in 2002. We describe the clinical features, outcomes, and costs associated with this outbreak.
- Successful treatment of ligneous conjunctivitis with topical cyclosporine and heparin
AlShifa Trust Eye Hospital, Rawalpindi, Pakistan
J AAPOS 13:519-20. 2009
Ligneous conjunctivitis is a rare disease characterized by wood-like pseudomembranes developing on the ocular and extraocular mucosae...
- Emerging drugs for conjunctivitis
STARx Allergy and Asthma Center, UMDNJ New Jersey Medical School, 400 Mountain Avenue, Springfield, New Jersey, NJ 07081, USA
Expert Opin Emerg Drugs 14:523-36. 2009
b>Conjunctivitis is a highly prevalent ocular condition with potential complications that include visual impairment...
- Effects of Asian dust storm events on daily clinical visits for conjunctivitis in Taipei, Taiwan
Chun Yuh Yang
Institute of Public Health, College of Health Sciences, Kaohsiung Medical University, Kaohsiung, Taiwan
J Toxicol Environ Health A 69:1673-80. 2006
..The objective of this study was to assess the possible associations of ADS with daily clinic visits for conjunctivitis in residents in Taipei, Taiwan, during the period from 1997-2001...
- Erosive conjunctivitis and punctal stenosis secondary to docetaxel (taxotere)
Craig A Skolnick
Bascom Palmer Eye Institute, Miami, FL 33418, USA
Eye Contact Lens 29:134-5. 2003
To report a case of erosive conjunctivitis and punctal stenosis occurring secondarily in a patient who underwent administration of docetaxel.
- Brimonidine-induced anterior uveitis and conjunctivitis: clinical and histologic features
Ethan V Nguyen
Royal Prince Alfred Hospital, Camperdown, Sydney, New South Wales, Australia
J Glaucoma 17:40-2. 2008
..We report a case of bilateral anterior uveitis and granulomatous papillary conjunctivitis in a 78-year-old gentleman after 2 years of brimonidine therapy...
- Azithromycin reduces inflammation in a rat model of acute conjunctivitis
Experimental Ophthalmology Laboratory, Universidad de Navarra, Pamplona Navarra, Spain
Mol Vis 19:153-65. 2013
..The effect of azithromycin on inflammatory molecules in the lipopolysaccharide-induced rat conjunctivitis model was investigated.
- An epidemic of acute hemorrhagic conjunctivitis in the city of Sao Paulo
Aoki Eye Clinic, Sapporo, Japan
Jpn J Ophthalmol 31:532-7. 1987
This is a clinical and laboratory report on 98 patients with acute viral conjunctivitis who were referred to the Eye Clinic of the Escola Paulista de Medicina of Sao Paulo, Brazil, from February 1983 to February 1984...
- 18β-glycyrrhetic acid inhibits immune activation triggered by HMGB1, a pro-inflammatory protein found in the tear fluid during conjunctivitis and blepharitis
Department of Preclinical and Clinical Pharmacology, University of Florence, Florence, Italy
Ocul Immunol Inflamm 19:180-5. 2011
..Evidence indicates that extracellularly released high-mobility group box 1 protein (HMGB1) behaves as a cytokine, promoting inflammation and disease pathogenesis. HMGB1 release occurs during endophtalmitis or uveoretinitis...
- The international study of asthma and allergies in childhood (ISAAC): phase three rationale and methods
Department of Paediatrics, The University of Auckland, Auckland, New Zealand
Int J Tuberc Lung Dis 9:10-6. 2005
- Acute conjunctivitis with episcleritis and anterior uveitis linked to adiaspiromycosis and freshwater sponges, Amazon region, Brazil, 2005
Marcia O Mendes
Ministry of Health, Brasilia, Brazil
Emerg Infect Dis 15:633-9. 2009
..Symptomatic children responded to corticosteroid treatment. Adiaspiromycosis is a preventable cause of ocular disease in the Amazon region...
- Involvement of cyclooxygenase-2 in rat models of conjunctivitis
Research Laboratories, Senju Pharmaceutical Co Ltd, 1 5 4 Murotani, Nishiku, Kobe 651 2241, Japan
Curr Eye Res 29:27-34. 2004
..Using two animal models to determine which isoform of cyclooxygenase (COX), constitutive COX-1 or inducible COX-2, is involved in the progression of anterior ocular inflammation...
- Bilateral acute uveitis and conjunctivitis after zoledronic acid therapy
J M Durnian
Eye (Lond) 19:221-2. 2005
- Direct action of platelet activating factor (PAF) induces eosinophil accumulation and enhances expression of PAF receptors in conjunctivitis
Department of Ophthalmology, Laboratory of Immunology, Kochi Medical School, Nankoku, Kochi, Japan
Mol Vis 11:114-23. 2005
..and PAF receptor (PAF-R) in the recruitment of eosinophils into the conjunctiva in the course of PAF induced conjunctivitis. Eosinophils are important players in the immediate hypersensitivity reactions and in allergic conjunctivitis...
- Validation of a fornix depth measurer: a putative tool for the assessment of progressive cicatrising conjunctivitis
Geraint P Williams
Academic Unit of Ophthalmology, School of Immunity and Infection, University of Birmingham, UK
Br J Ophthalmol 95:842-7. 2011
Documentation of conjunctival forniceal foreshortening in cases of progressive cicatrising conjunctivitis (PCC) is important in ascertaining disease stage and progression...
- In vivo confocal microscopy of normal conjunctiva and conjunctivitis
Elisabeth M Messmer
Department of Ophthalmology, Ludwig Maximilians University, Munich, Germany
Cornea 25:781-8. 2006
..To analyze the appearance of normal conjunctiva and conjunctival inflammation by in vivo confocal microscopy...
- Mucous membrane pemphigoid and pseudopemphigoid
Jennifer E Thorne
Department of Ophthalmology, The Johns Hopkins University School of Medicine, Baltimore, Maryland 21205, USA
Ophthalmology 111:45-52. 2004
..To describe the clinical characteristics of patients with mucous membrane pemphigoid (MMP) and pseudopemphigoid...
- [Treatment of conjunctivitis]
Semmelweis Egyetem, Általános Orvostudományi Kar, II Szemészeti Klinika, Budapest
Orv Hetil 145:2107-10. 2004
- Inflamed juvenile conjunctival naevus: clinicopathological characterisation
Br J Ophthalmol 86:28-30. 2002
..Their clinical and histopathological features have not been characterised in series of patients. The aim of the study is to characterise IJCN clinically and histopathologically...
- Role of amniotic membrane transplantation for conjunctival reconstruction in ocular-cicatricial pemphigoid
Department of Neurologic and Visual Sciences, University of Genoa, via Saccari 14, 18038 Sanremo, Genoa, Italy
Ophthalmology 110:474-80. 2003
..To evaluate the role and the effectiveness over time of amniotic membrane transplantation (AMT) as a first-step procedure to treat conjunctival reconstruction in late-stage ocular-cicatricial pemphigoid (OCP)...
- Epidemic conjunctivitis in Germany, 2004
Department for Infectious Disease Epidemiology, Robert Koch Institut, Berlin, Germany Field Epidemiology Training Programme, Berlin, Germany
Euro Surveill 11:185-7. 2006
Epidemic conjunctivitis can be associated with viral or bacterial pathogens, whereas epidemic keratoconjunctivitis is caused mainly by adenoviruses type 8,19 and 37...
- Effect of airborne allergens on emergency visits by children for conjunctivitis and rhinitis
Lancet 359:947-8. 2002
The effect of fungal spores and pollen grains on morbidity from childhood conjunctivitis and rhinitis is mostly unknown...
- Immunomodulatory effect of gatifloxacin on mouse peritoneal macrophages in vitro and in models of endotoxin-induced rat conjunctivitis and rabbit bacterial keratitis
Research Laboratories, Senju Pharmaceutical Co, Ltd, Kobe, Japan
Ophthalmic Res 40:54-60. 2008
..To determine the anti-inflammatory activity of gatifloxacin in ophthalmic use...
- Brazil faces worst outbreak of conjunctivitis in 20 years
Lancet 361:1714. 2003
- Topical corticosteroid therapy for cicatricial conjunctivitis associated with chronic graft-versus-host disease
M R Robinson
National Eye Institute NIH, 10 10S229, 110 Center Drive, MSC 1863, Bethesda, MD 20892 1863, USA
Bone Marrow Transplant 33:1031-5. 2004
..was performed on seven patients treated with topical ocular corticosteroid therapy for progressive cicatricial conjunctivitis associated with chronic graft-versus-host disease (GVHD) following hematopoietic stem cell transplantation...
- Rapid response to a conjunctivitis outbreak: the use of technology to leverage information
John H Pryor
Dartmouth College, Hanover, New Hampshire, USA
J Am Coll Health 50:267-71. 2002
When an outbreak of conjunctivitis was identified at a rural New England college early in 2002, the college health center medical staff used various information management and communication systems to alert the community to the situation...
- Prevalence and onset of rhinitis and conjunctivitis in subjects with occupational asthma caused by trimellitic anhydride (TMA)
Leslie C Grammer
Division of Allergy Immunology, Ernest S Bazley Asthma and Allergic Diseases Center, Department of Medicine, Northwestern Memorial Hospital, Northwestern University Medical School, Chicago, Illinois, USA
J Occup Environ Med 44:1179-81. 2002
Individuals with occupational asthma may also report symptoms of rhinitis or conjunctivitis. The objective of this study was to investigate the prevalence of rhinitis and conjunctivitis in subjects with occupational asthma as a result of ..
- An etiological investigation of domestic cats with conjunctivitis and upper respiratory tract disease in Japan
Department of Veterinary Microbiology, Faculty of Agriculture, Gifu University, Japan
J Vet Med Sci 64:215-9. 2002
..1%), 11 (16.7%) and 14 (21.2%) cats respectively, from 66 domestic cats presented with conjunctivitis and upper respiratory tract disease (URTD) in 9 prefectures of Japan...
- How do GPs diagnose and manage acute infective conjunctivitis? A GP survey
Community Clinical Sciences CCS Division, Faculty of Medicine, Health and Biological Sciences, Southampton University, UK
Fam Pract 19:658-60. 2002
To determine GPs' diagnosis and management of acute infective conjunctivitis (AIC)-one of the commonest but least researched acute infections seen in primary care.
- Chronic cicatrizing conjunctivitis
H G Faraj
Fondation Ophtalmologique A. de Rothschild and Bichat Hospital, Paris, France
Curr Opin Ophthalmol 12:250-7. 2001
..Other well-known causes include thermal and chemical burns, postinfectious conjunctivitis, and Stevens-Johnson syndrome...
- Incidence and host determinants of work-related rhinoconjunctivitis in apprentice pastry-makers
The Department of Chest Medicine, Hôpital du Sacré Coeur, Montreal, Canada
Allergy 57:913-8. 2002
..The aim of this work was to determine the incidence of work-related rhinoconjunctivitis (RC) symptoms and their determinants...
- A review of plant species used to treat conjunctivitis
Medicinal and Aromatic Plants Information Services, National Institute of Science Communication CSIR, Dr K S Krishnan Marg, New Delhi 110012, India
Phytother Res 16:1-22. 2002
b>Conjunctivitis is a major occular external infection in tropical countries. Although not a very serious disease, it gives much discomfort and sometimes leads to partial blindness or blindness due to corneal involvement...
- Prevalence of Chlamydophila felis and feline herpesvirus 1 in cats with conjunctivitis in northern Italy
College of Veterinary Medicine, University of Torino, 10095 Grugliasco, Italy
J Vet Intern Med 17:799-807. 2003
The prevalence of Chlamydophila felis and feline herpesvirus 1 (FHV-1) infection in cats with conjunctivitis in northern Italy was investigated by conventional polymerase chain reaction (PCR) testing...
- Treatment of ligneous conjunctivitis with topical plasmin and topical plasminogen
David G Heidemann
Department of Ophthalmology, William Beaumont Hospital, Royal Oak, Michigan, USA
Cornea 22:760-2. 2003
To describe treatment of a child with recalcitrant ligneous conjunctivitis secondary to a systemic plasminogen deficiency.
- Acute unilateral conjunctivitis after rubella vaccination: the detection of the rubella genome in the inflamed conjunctiva by reverse transcriptase-polymerase-chain reaction
Br J Ophthalmol 90:1436-7. 2006
- In vivo confocal microscopy and ex vivo flow cytometry: new tools for assessing ocular inflammation applied to rabbit lipopolysaccharide-induced conjunctivitis
Department of Ophthalmology, Centre Hospitalier National d Ophtalmologie des Quinze Vingts, Paris, France
Mol Vis 12:1392-402. 2006
..We used in vivo confocal microscopy (CM) and ex vivo flow cytometry, two new tools for assessing ocular inflammation induced by LPS...
- Estimate of the direct and indirect annual cost of bacterial conjunctivitis in the United States
Andrew F Smith
Medmetrics Inc, 30 Charles Street, Ottawa, Ontario, K1 M 1R2, Canada
BMC Ophthalmol 9:13. 2009
The aim of this study was to estimate both the direct and indirect annual costs of treating bacterial conjunctivitis (BC) in the United States. This was a cost of illness study performed from a U.S. healthcare payer perspective.
- Cellular characteristics of non-allergic eosinophilic conjunctivitis
Optokari Ltd, Espoo, Finland
Acta Ophthalmol 88:245-50. 2010
This study examines the histology of conjunctival biopsy samples from patients with persistent allergic eosinophilic conjunctivitis (AEC) or non-allergic eosinophilic conjunctivitis (NAEC).
- Study on human ophthalmomyiasis externa caused by Oestrus ovis larva, in Sirte-Libya: parasite features, clinical presentation and management
Fouad M Fathy
Department of Parasitology, Faculty of Medicine, Alexandria University, Egypt
J Egypt Soc Parasitol 36:265-82, following 282. 2006
..Misdiagnosis is common and the condition of acute catarrhal conjunctivitis is ascribed to other causes. The study included 20 patients referred to university hospital of Sirte, Libya...
- Molecular and clinical spectrum of type I plasminogen deficiency: A series of 50 patients
Hospital for Children and Adolescents, University of Leipzig, Oststrasse 21 25, D 04317 Leipzig, Germany
Blood 108:3021-6. 2006
..The most common clinical manifestations among these patients were ligneous conjunctivitis (80%) and ligneous gingivitis (34%), followed by less common manifestations such as ligneous vaginitis (8%), ..
- Amniotic membrane transplantation in a case of ligneous conjunctivitis
Department of Neurosciences, Ophthalmology and Genetics, University of Genoa, Genoa, Italy
Am J Ophthalmol 137:752-3. 2004
To report a case of ligneous conjunctivitis treated with amniotic membrane transplantation.
- Ligneous conjunctivitis in plasminogen-deficient mice
A F Drew
Divisions of Developmental Biology and Pathology, Children s Hospital Research Foundation, Cincinnati, OH 45229, USA
Blood 91:1616-24. 1998
Ligneous conjunctivitis is a rare form of chronic pseudomembranous conjunctivitis that is associated with systemic membranous pathological changes...
- Ligneous conjunctivitis: a clinicopathological, immunohistochemical, and genetic study including the treatment of two sisters with multiorgan involvement
M Teresa Rodríguez-Ares
Anterior Segment Unit, Department of Ophthalmology, Hospital de Conxo Complexo Hospitalario Universitario de Santiago, Galicia, Spain
Virchows Arch 451:815-21. 2007
Ligneous conjunctivitis (LC) is a rare disease characterized by wood-like pseudomembranes developing on the ocular and extraocular mucosae secondary to plasminogen (PLG) deficiency...
- Porphyria cutanea tarda presenting as cicatricial conjunctivitis
Anna J Park
Cornea Service, Wills Eye Hospital, Jefferson Medical College, Philadelphia, Pennsylvania 19107, USA
Am J Ophthalmol 134:619-21. 2002
To report a case of porphyria cutanea tarda presenting as cicatricial conjunctivitis.
- Effective treatment of ligneous conjunctivitis with topical plasminogen
Department of Ophthalmology, The Hospital for Sick Children and Toronto Western Hospital, Toronto, Ontario, Canada
Am J Ophthalmol 133:451-5. 2002
The etiology of ligneous conjunctivitis is now known to be due to an underlying type 1 plasminogen deficiency. We hereby report the clinical features of three cases and their response to topically administered plasminogen.
- New genome type of adenovirus serotype 4 caused nosocomial infections associated with epidemic conjunctivitis in Japan
Department of Ophthalmology and Visual Diseases, Hokkaido University Graduate School of Medicine, Sapporo, Japan
J Clin Microbiol 42:3644-8. 2004
Human adenovirus type 4 is one of the major serotypes isolated from patients with adenoviral conjunctivitis. In 2001 we encountered nosocomial infections with epidemic conjunctivitis in the ophthalmology ward of one hospital in Sapporo, ..
- Prevention of ligneous conjunctivitis by topical and subconjunctival fresh frozen plasma
Khalid F Tabbara
The Eye Center and The Eye Foundation for Research in Ophthalmology, Riyadh, Saudi Arabia
Am J Ophthalmol 138:299-300. 2004
To present a case of ligneous conjunctivitis where the recurrence of membranous conjunctivitis was prevented by subconjunctival and topical instillation of fresh frozen plasma.
- Dynamics of PAF-induced conjunctivitis reveals differential expression of PAF receptor by macrophages and eosinophils in the rat
Laboratory of Immunology, Department of Ophthalmology, Kochi Medical School, Nankoku, Kochi, 783 8505, Japan
Cell Tissue Res 317:265-77. 2004
..microscopy to examine the dynamic changes of PAF-R expression in the conjunctiva in response to PAF-induced conjunctivitis in Brown Norway rats within the first 2 h after topical administration of PAF...
- [Red eye in children]
Service d Ophtalmologie, CHU de Strasbourg, Universite Louis Pasteur, 67084 Strasbourg Cedex
Rev Prat 58:353-7. 2008
..Unfortunately, physical examination on children is not always easy. Consultation with an ophthalmologist is justified if a doubt remains, in case of chronic pathology or resistance to first intention treatment...
- Inflammatory and mechanical complications associated with 3 years of up to 30 nights of continuous wear of lotrafilcon A silicone hydrogel lenses
University of Connecticut Health Center, Farmington, CT, USA
Eye Contact Lens 33:191-5. 2007
..To report the ocular complications occurring during a 3-year clinical trial of subjects wearing lotrafilcon A silicone hydrogel lenses for up to 30 nights of continuous wear...
- Cutaneous and ocular signs of childhood rosacea
Unité de dermatologie pédiatrique, Place Amelie Raba Leon, 33 076 Bordeaux Cedex, France
Arch Dermatol 144:167-71. 2008
..Objectives To describe the clinical features of cutaneous and ocular manifestations of childhood rosacea, to propose diagnostic criteria, and to emphasize the possible severity of ocular complications in this age group...
- The red eye
F Hampton Roy
University of Arkansas Medical Science Campus, Little Rock, AR, USA
Ann Ophthalmol (Skokie) 38:35-8. 2006
..Ciliary injection indicates inflammation of the cornea, iris, or ciliary body, whereas conjunctival injection mainly affects the posterior conjunctival blood vessels...
- Clinical analysis of patients with pemphigoid-like ophthalmological symptoms
Department of Ophthalmology, Medical University of Warsaw, Poland
Neuro Endocrinol Lett 27:741-4. 2006
..The aim of this study was a clinical analysis of patients with symptoms typical of pemphigoid...
- Role of electron microscopy in the diagnosis of ocular mucous membrane pemphigoid
Jennifer E Thorne
Department of Ophthalmology, Johns Hopkins University School of Medicine, Baltimore, Maryland 21205, USA
Ophthalmology 113:1651-6. 2006
To evaluate the role of electron microscopy (EM) for the diagnosis of ocular mucous membrane pemphigoid (MMP) among patients with cicatrizing conjunctivitis.
- [Pepper spray injuries of the anterior segment of the eye]
Augenklinik Kantonspital Winterthur, Winterthur, Schweiz
Klin Monbl Augenheilkd 222:267-70. 2005
..A wide variety of pepper sprays is currently available and gaining increasing popularity among both professional guardians and amateurs. Adverse side effects to the anterior segment of the eye are known but underestimated...
- [Ocular penfigoid scar]
Medicina (B Aires) 66:154. 2006
- Trefoil factor family 1, MUC5AC and human leucocyte antigen-DR expression by conjunctival cells in patients with glaucoma treated with chronic drugs: could these markers predict the success of glaucoma surgery?
Service d Ophtalmologie, Hopital General, 21000 Dijon, France
Br J Ophthalmol 90:1366-9. 2006
- Topical ciclosporin in the treatment of ocular surface disorders
The Wilmer Eye Institute, Johns Hopkins School of Medicine, Baltimore, MD 21287 9238, USA
Br J Ophthalmol 89:1363-7. 2005
- Allergic reaction to topical eyedrops
Department of Ophthalmology, Quinze Vingts National Ophthalmology Hospital, Paris, France
Curr Opin Allergy Clin Immunol 5:459-63. 2005
..As allergy is only one possible mechanism, this review was extended to all reports or studies describing allergic, inflammatory or toxic effects related to eyedrops since 2004...
- Group IIA phospholipase A(2) concentration of tears in patients with ocular rosacea
Department of Allergology, University of Helsinki, Helsinki, Finland
Acta Ophthalmol Scand 83:483-6. 2005
..To determine the concentration of group IIA phospholipase A(2) (GIIAPLA(2)) in tears of patients with ocular rosacea, and to compare it with GIIAPLA(2) concentration in tears of age-matched healthy controls...
- Role of macrophage migration inhibitory factor in conjunctival pathology in ocular cicatricial pemphigoid
Mohammed S Razzaque
Department of Oral Medicine, Harvard School of Dental Medicine, Boston, Massachusetts 02115, USA
Invest Ophthalmol Vis Sci 45:1174-81. 2004
..Ocular cicatricial pemphigoid (OCP) is an autoimmune disease in which affected conjunctivae show features of an immunoinflammatory disease. In this study, the role of MIF in the pathogenesis of OCP was examined...
- Conjunctival markers as predictable markers for preoperative glaucoma assessment
P J Pisella
Br J Ophthalmol 90:1335-6. 2006
- Inadvertent conjunctival trauma related to contact with drug container tips: a masquerade syndrome
Department of Ophthalmology, Hadassah University Hospital, Jerusalem, Israel
Ophthalmology 110:796-800. 2003
..To report the diagnosis, clinical course, and management of acute painful red eye syndrome associated with unintentional tube- or bottle-tip-induced conjunctival trauma...
- Role of connective tissue growth factor in the pathogenesis of conjunctival scarring in ocular cicatricial pemphigoid
Mohammed S Razzaque
Department of Oral Medicine, Infection and Immunity, Harvard School of Dental Medicine, Boston, Massachusetts 02115, USA
Invest Ophthalmol Vis Sci 44:1998-2003. 2003
..Hence, studying the mechanism by which CTGF influences TGF-beta1-induced synthesis of collagen in conjunctiva of patients with OCP would provide insight into the mechanism of conjunctival fibrosis in patients with OCP...
- [Ligneous conjunctivitis in a patient with plasminogen type I deficiency--case report with review of literature]
Universitätsaugenklinik Essen, Germany
Klin Monbl Augenheilkd 219:156-8. 2002
Ligneous conjunctivitis is a rare chronic pseudomembranous conjunctivitis. It forms nodular masses on the palpebral conjunctiva. Beside the conjunctival affection pseudomembranes can also be found on other mucosal tissues.
- Chronic cicatrizing conjunctivitis in a patient with ocular cicatricial pemphigoid and fatal Wegener granulomatosis
Immunology and Uveitis Service, Department of Ophthalmology, Massachusetts Eye and Ear Infirmary, 243 Charles St, Boston, MA 02114, USA
Am J Ophthalmol 132:923-4. 2001
PURPOSE: To describe a case of chronic cicatrizing conjunctivitis in a patient with ocular cicatricial pemphigoid and Wegener granulomatosis. METHODS: Observational case report. A retrospective study...
- Role of collagen-binding heat shock protein 47 and transforming growth factor-beta1 in conjunctival scarring in ocular cicatricial pemphigoid
Mohammed S Razzaque
Department of Dermatology, Harvard Medical School, Boston, Massachusetts, USA
Invest Ophthalmol Vis Sci 44:1616-21. 2003
..Heat shock protein 47 (HSP47), a collagen-binding protein, plays an important role in the biosynthesis of procollagens. In the present study, we examined the role of HSP47 in conjunctival scarring in patients with OCP...
- Amniotic membrane transplantation elicits goblet cell repopulation after conjunctival reconstruction in a case of severe ocular cicatricial pemphigoid
Department of Neurological and Visual Sciences Ophthalmology R, University of Genoa, Genoa, Italy
Acta Ophthalmol Scand 81:68-71. 2003
..This study reports the postoperative clinical and cytological outcomes of a human amniotic membrane transplantation (AMT) to rebuild the conjunctiva in a case of late stage OCP...
- Ocular surface changes induced by topical antiglaucoma monotherapy
Eye Clinic, Medical Center Ljubljana, Medical Faculty, Slovenia
Ophthalmologica 216:175-9. 2002
..To investigate the expression of inflammatory markers HLA-DR in impression cytology specimens from patients receiving topical antiglaucoma monotherapy...
- Tarsal-conjunctival disease associated with Wegener's granulomatosis
Michael R Robinson
National Eye Institute, National Institutes of Health, Bethesda, Maryland, USA
Ophthalmology 110:1770-80. 2003
..To describe the clinical characteristics of tarsal-conjunctival disease in a cohort of patients with Wegener's granulomatosis (WG)...
- [Effect of preservatives on the conjunctiva: a comparative study of beta-blocker eye drops with and without preservatives in glaucoma patients]
P J Pisella
Service d Ophtalmologie, CHU de Tours, Hopital Bretonneau, 2, boulevard Tonnelle, 37044 Tours Cedex 1
J Fr Ophtalmol 26:675-9. 2003
..To compare the effect of timolol with or without preservatives on the conjunctival epithelium of glaucoma patients...
- The role of conjunctival biopsy in the diagnosis of Wegener's granulomatosis: a case report
Petros C Karakousis
Department of Internal Medicine, Hospital of the University of Pennsylvania, Philadelphia 19104, USA
Can J Ophthalmol 37:179-81. 2002
- Diagnostic and therapeutic challenges
H Richard McDonald
Retina 23:852-4. 2003
- Clinical application of living-related conjunctival-limbal allograft
Department of Ophthalmology, Tokyo Dental College, Ichikawa shi, Chiba, Japan
Am J Ophthalmol 133:134-5. 2002
..To report one successful case of conjunctival-limbal allograft for the treatment of a severe ocular surface disorder...
- The cell-layer- and cell-type-specific distribution of GalNAc-transferases in the ocular surface epithelia is altered during keratinization
Department of Ophthalmology, Schepens Eye Research Institute, Harvard Medical School, 20 Staniford Street, Boston, MA 02114, USA
Invest Ophthalmol Vis Sci 44:86-92. 2003
..The purpose of this study was to determine the cellular distribution of GalNAc-Ts in the normal ocular surface epithelia and to compare their distribution with that in pathologically keratinized conjunctival epithelia...
- Efficacy of indomethacin 0.1% and fluorometholone 0.1% on conjunctival inflammation following chronic application of antiglaucomatous drugs
Hôpital A Paré, Boulogne Billancourt, France
Graefes Arch Clin Exp Ophthalmol 240:929-35. 2002
..1%) on conjunctival inflammation following chronic application of antiglaucomatous drugs, in comparison with a steroidal ophthalmic solution (preserved fluorometholone)...
- Ag-specific recognition, activation, and effector function of T cells in the conjunctiva with experimental immune-mediated blepharoconjunctivitis
Department of Ophthalmology, Kochi Medical School, Nankoku City, Japan
Invest Ophthalmol Vis Sci 44:4366-74. 2003
To investigate antigen (Ag) specificity, activation, and effector function of the Ag-specific T cells involved in the development of experimental immune-mediated blepharoconjunctivitis (EC), an experimental conjunctivitis.
- Cicatrizing and autoimmune diseases
Schepens Eye Research Institute, Harvard Medical School, Boston, MA 02114, USA
Chem Immunol Allergy 92:195-202. 2007
..These conditions, though generally infrequent, can be the cause of profound pathology and visual disability, and often need systemic immune modulation for therapy...