Genomes and Genes
Summary: Inflammatory diseases of the THYROID GLAND. Thyroiditis can be classified into acute (THYROIDITIS, SUPPURATIVE), subacute (granulomatous and lymphocytic), chronic fibrous (Riedel's), chronic lymphocytic (HASHIMOTO DISEASE), transient (POSTPARTUM THYROIDITIS), and other AUTOIMMUNE THYROIDITIS subtypes.
Publications214 found, 100 shown here
- Riedel's thyroiditis and retroperitoneal fibrosis in multifocal fibrosclerosis: positron emission tomographic findingsOlivier Drieskens
Department of Nuclear Medicine, UZ Gasthuisberg, Katholieke Universiteit Leuven, Leuven, Belgium
Clin Nucl Med 27:413-5. 2002The authors describe F-18 fluorodeoxyglucose positron emission tomographic (FDG PET) imaging features of Riedel's thyroiditis and retroperitoneal fibrosis in a patient with multifocal fibrosclerosis.
- [Diagnosis of thyroid disease. Part 2: thyroid gland nodes, diagnosis and treatment of thyroid carcinoma]S Delorme
Abteilung für Onkologische Diagnostik und Therapie, Deutsches Krebforschungszentrum, Heidelberg
Radiologe 43:179-94; quiz 194-5. 2003
- ThyroiditisElizabeth N Pearce
Section of Endocrinology, Diabetes, and Nutrition, Boston Medical Center, Boston University School of Medicine, Boston, MA 02118, USA
N Engl J Med 348:2646-55. 2003
- The natural history of interferon-alpha2b-induced thyroiditis and its exclusivity in a cohort of patients with chronic hepatitis C infectionH A Tran
Hunter Area Pathology Service, Newcastle University, Newcastle, New South Wales 2310, Australia
QJM 102:117-22. 2009..In the former, the commonest aetiology is thyroiditis. As there is no previous data to fully characterize the entity of IFN-related thyroiditis, the aim of this ..
- Interferon-alpha-induced destructive thyroiditis followed by Graves' disease in a patient with chronic hepatitis C: a case reportBu Kyung Kim
Department of Internal Medicine, Kosin University, College of Medicine, Busan, Korea
J Korean Med Sci 26:1638-41. 2011Interferon-induced thyroiditis (IIT) is a major clinical problem for patients receiving interferon-alpha (IFN-α) therapy. But, destructive thyroiditis followed by Graves' disease associated with IFN-α therapy is very rarely reported...
- CD7 and CD28 are required for murine CD4+CD25+ regulatory T cell homeostasis and prevention of thyroiditisGregory D Sempowski
Department of Medicine and the Duke University Human Vaccine Institute, Duke University Medical Center, Box 3258, Research Park Building 1, Room 113, Research Drive, Durham, NC 27710, USA
J Immunol 172:787-94. 2004..b>Thyroiditis developed in aged CD7/CD28-double-deficient mice (>1 year) that was not seen in age-matched control mice or ..
- ThyrotoxicosisJayne A Franklyn
Centre for Diabetes, Endocrinology and Metabolism, School of Clinical and Experimental Medicine, College of Medical and Dental Sciences, University of Birmingham, Birmingham, UK
Lancet 379:1155-66. 2012..toxic nodular hyperthyroidism, due to the presence of one or more autonomously functioning thyroid nodules, and thyroiditis caused by inflammation, which results in release of stored hormones...
- ThyroiditisArchana Bindra
Cedars Sinai Medical Center, Los Angeles, California 90048, USA
Am Fam Physician 73:1769-76. 2006b>Thyroiditis is an inflammation of the thyroid gland that may be painful and tender when caused by infection, radiation, or trauma, or painless when caused by autoimmune conditions, medications, or an idiopathic fibrotic process...
- Interferon induced thyroiditisYaron Tomer
Department of Medicine, Division of Endocrinology, Mount Sinai School of Medicine, Box 1118, One Gustave L Levy Place, New York, NY 10029, USA
Best Pract Res Clin Endocrinol Metab 23:703-12. 2009..One of the commonest side effects of IFNalpha therapy is thyroiditis, with up to 40% of HCV patients on IFNalpha developing clinical or subclinical disease...
- Inappropriate elevation of serum thyrotropin levels in patients treated with axitinibKenji Ohba
Second Division, Department of Internal Medicine, Hamamatsu University School of Medicine, Hamamatsu, Shizuoka, Japan
Thyroid 23:443-8. 2013..Although anticancer treatment with the tyrosine kinase inhibitor (TKI) axitinib frequently causes thyroid dysfunction, the associated mechanism and clinical features have not been elucidated...
- Sorafenib induced thyroiditis in two patients with hepatocellular carcinomaLeni van Doorn
Department of Medical Oncology, Erasmus University Medical Center, Rotterdam, The Netherlands
Thyroid 21:197-202. 2011....
- Thyroid cancer, thyroiditis and dietary iodine: a review based on the Salta, Argentina modelH Ruben Harach
Servicio de Patologia, Hospital Dr A Oñativia, E Paz Chain 36, 4400 Salta, Argentina
Endocr Pathol 19:209-20. 2008..Autoimmune focal and diffuse or Hashimoto's thyroiditis are linked to dietary iodine...
- Sunitinib (sutent)-induced thyrotoxicosis due to destructive thyroiditis: a case reportJason E Faris
Department of Internal Medicine, Massachusetts General Hospital, 15 Parkman Street, Boston, MA 02114, USA
Thyroid 17:1147-9. 2007Numerous drugs have been associated with destructive thyroiditis (subacute thyroiditis)...
- De Quervain's subacute thyroiditis -- colour Doppler sonography findingsA Kunz
Dep of Internal Med, Klinikum am Steinenberg, Reutlingen
Ultraschall Med 26:102-6. 2005De Quervain's subacute nonsuppurative thyroiditis has been well characterised clinically: there usually is pain in the region of the thyroid due to local pressure. Typically, the patient feels generally ill with fever...
- Relevance of thyroiditis and of other autoimmune diseases in children with vitiligoPaolo Iacovelli
San Gallicano Institute, IRCCS, Rome, Italy
Dermatology 210:26-30. 2005..Studies that clearly define the possible association of childhood vitiligo with autoimmune and/or endocrine diseases are lacking...
- Environmental triggers of thyroiditis: hepatitis C and interferon-αF Menconi
Division of Endocrinology, Department of Medicine, Mount Sinai Medical Center, One Gustave L Levy Place, New York, NY 10029, USA
J Endocrinol Invest 34:78-84. 2011..Interferon induced thyroiditis (IIT) can manifest as non-autoimmune thyroiditis (presenting as destructive thyroiditis, or non-autoimmune ..
- Palpation thyroiditis causing new-onset atrial fibrillationVinh Q Mai
Department of Endocrinology, National Naval Medical Center, 8901 Wisconsin Avenue, Bethesda, MD 20889, USA
Thyroid 18:571-3. 2008Surgery-induced thyroiditis can pose a significant clinical problem that is underappreciated...
- Acute suppurative thyroiditis in childhood: relative frequency among thyroid inflammatory diseases*M Wasniewska
J Endocrinol Invest 30:346-7. 2007
- Postpartum thyroiditisJ H Lazarus
Autoimmunity 35:169-73. 2002Post partum thyroiditis occurs in 50% of TPO AB+ve women and is characterised by transient hyperthyroidism followed by transient hypothyroidism during the first six months, post partum...
- Serial changes in liver function tests in patients with thyrotoxicosis induced by Graves' disease and painless thyroiditisSumihisa Kubota
Kuma Hospital, 8 2 35, Shimoyamate dori, Chuo Ku, Kobe 650 0011, Japan
Thyroid 18:283-7. 2008..However, a question arises whether such aggravation constitutes an adverse effect of the drugs or not...
- Fungal thyroiditis: an overviewLuciano Z Goldani
Section of Infectious Diseases, Universidade Federal do Rio Grande do Sul, Brazil
Mycopathologia 161:129-39. 2006The authors review the epidemiology, clinical manifestations, diagnosis, and treatment of fungal thyroiditis cases previously reported in the medical literature. Aspergillus was by far the most common cause of fungal thyroiditis...
- Quantitative measurement of thyroid blood flow for differentiation of painless thyroiditis from Graves' diseaseHisashi Ota
Kuma Hospital, Kobe, Japan
Clin Endocrinol (Oxf) 67:41-5. 2007..It is, however, often difficult to make this distinction without measurement of radioactive iodine uptake. We investigated the possibility that assessment of thyroid blood flow would allow differentiation between the two entities...
- Viruses and thyroiditis: an updateRachel Desailloud
Laboratoire de Virologie UPRES EA3610 Faculté de Médecine, Universite Lille 2, CHRU Lille, Centre de Biologie Pathologie et Parc Eurasanté, 59037 Lille, France
Virol J 6:5. 2009Viral infections are frequently cited as a major environmental factor involved in subacute thyroiditis and autoimmune thyroid diseases This review examines the data related to the role of viruses in the development of thyroiditis...
- Riedel's thyroiditis and multifocal fibrosclerosis are part of the IgG4-related systemic disease spectrumMollie Dahlgren
Massachusetts General Hospital and Harvard Medical School, Boston, MA, USA
Arthritis Care Res (Hoboken) 62:1312-8. 2010Riedel's thyroiditis is a chronic fibrosing disorder of unknown etiology often associated with "multifocal fibrosclerosis...
- The clinical and physiological spectrum of interferon-alpha induced thyroiditis: toward a new classificationJamie C Mandac
Department of Medicine, Mount Sinai School of Medicine, New York, NY, USA
Hepatology 43:661-72. 2006..Some of these complications may result in discontinuation of interferon therapy. Thus, interferon induced thyroiditis (IIT) is a major clinical problem for patients receiving interferon therapy...
- A case of pheochromocytoma complicated with slowly progressive type 1 diabetes mellitus and chronic thyroiditisKoji Murao
Division of Endocrinology and Metabolism, Department of Internal Medicine, Faculty of Medicine, Kagawa University, 1750 1, Miki cho, Kita gun 761 0793, Kagawa, Japan
Endocrine 32:350-3. 2007..report regarding a 45-year-old woman, who has been undergoing treatment for diabetes mellitus (DM) with chronic thyroiditis (euthyroid state)...
- Postpartum thyroiditis and autoimmune thyroiditis in women of childbearing age: recent insights and consequences for antenatal and postnatal careA F Muller
Department of Immunology, Erasmus University Medical Center, 3015 GD Rotterdam, The Netherlands
Endocr Rev 22:605-30. 2001Postpartum thyroiditis is a syndrome of transient or permanent thyroid dysfunction occurring in the first year after delivery and based on an autoimmune inflammation of the thyroid. The prevalence ranges from 5-7%...
- [Acquired childhood and juvenile subclinical hypothyroidism with or without goitre]Jean Pierre Cordray
Groupe de Recherches Cliniques en Endocrinologie, Paris 75, France
Presse Med 34:285-8. 2005Primary acquired childhood and juvenile hypothyroidism is mainly due to chronic thyroiditis or to the after effects of cervical radiotherapy for cancer...
- Stimulation of thyroid-stimulating hormone (TSH) receptor antibody production following painless thyroiditisMakoto Iitaka
Department of Internal Medicine 4, Saitama Medical School, 38 Morohongo, Moroyama, Iruma gun, Saitama, Japan
Clin Endocrinol (Oxf) 60:49-53. 2004Development or recurrence of Graves' disease (GD) following painless thyroiditis (PT) has been documented...
- Evaluation of thyroid hormone action in a case of generalized resistance to thyroid hormone with chronic thyroiditis: discovery of a novel heterozygous missense mutation (G347A)Haruhiro Sato
Department of Medicine, Tokai University School of Medicine, Tokyo, Japan
Endocr J 54:727-32. 2007..We describe a 21-year-old Japanese woman with GRTH and coincidental chronic thyroiditis. Physical examination revealed palpable goiter, congenital alopecia on top of the head, and short stature...
- Association between lithium use and thyrotoxicosis caused by silent thyroiditisK K Miller
Neuroendocrine Unit, Department of Medicine, Massachusetts General Hospital and Harvard Medical School, Boston, MA 02114, USA
Clin Endocrinol (Oxf) 55:501-8. 2001OBJECTIVE: To determine the incidence of silent thyroiditis in lithium users and characterize lithium-associated thyrotoxicosis. DESIGN: Retrospective record review...
- Genetic immunization against the human thyrotropin receptor causes thyroiditis and allows production of monoclonal antibodies recognizing the native receptorS Costagliola
IRIBHN, ULB, Euroscreen s a, Louvain Medical School, Brussels, Belgium
J Immunol 160:1458-65. 1998..We conclude that genetic immunization is an efficient method of generating Abs recognizing the native structure of the hTSHR and a new way of inducing thyroiditis in mice murine.
- An unusual form of Riedel's thyroiditis: a case report and review of the literatureS Fontaine
Department of Endocrinology, CHU Rangueil, Toulouse, France
Thyroid 15:85-8. 2005..A total thyroidectomy was performed. Histopathologic findings led to the diagnosis of Riedel's thyroiditis. We observed a dramatic improvement after surgery with absence of fever and normalization of inflammatory ..
- Detection of enterovirus RNA in postoperative thyroid tissue specimensRachel Desailloud
Laboratoire de Virologie UPRES EA3610 Faculté de Médecine, Universite Lille 2, CHRU Lille, Lille, France
Clin Endocrinol (Oxf) 70:331-4. 2009Autoimmune thyroiditis is a very common disease. A genetic predisposition and environmental factors such as viruses are thought to contribute to the development of autoimmune thyroiditis...
- Occurrence of Riedel's thyroiditis in the course of sub-acute thyroiditisT Kabalak
Ege University Endocrinology Department, Bornova Izmir, Turkey
J Endocrinol Invest 23:399-401. 2000Riedel's Thyroiditis is an uncommon form of chronic thyroiditis characterized by an invasive fibrosclerosis of the gland, often involving surrounding tissue...
- Recovery from lymphocytic hypophysitis associated with painless thyroiditis: clinical implications of circulating antipituitary antibodiesY Ozawa
Department of Internal Medicine, Toranomon Hospital, Tokyo, Japan
Acta Endocrinol (Copenh) 128:493-8. 1993..The other point to be emphasized in this case is the simultaneous development of painless thyroiditis and lymphocytic hypophysitis...
- MR findings with dynamic evaluation in Riedel's thyroiditisNaoya Takahashi
Department of Radiology, Niigata University School of Medicine, 1 Asahimachi, Niigata, Niigata, Japan
Clin Imaging 26:89-91. 2002We reported the findings on MRI in a patient with proven Riedel's thyroiditis. The lesion was seen as slightly heterogeneous hypointensity on both T1- and T2-weighted images and had a mild enhancement after administration of gadpentate ..
- Multifocal fibrosclerosis: a case of thyroiditis and bilateral lacrimal gland involvementK Owen
Department of Medicine, Singleton Hospital, Swansea, Wales, United Kingdom
Thyroid 11:1187-90. 2001A patient with invasive fibrous thyroiditis (Riedel's thyroiditis), dysphagia, and bilateral lacrimal gland involvement is described. Resolution of the thyroid mass and orbital swellings followed corticosteroid therapy...
- Post-partum thyroiditis in a mediterranean population: a prospective study of a large cohort of thyroid antibody positive women at the time of deliveryM Kita
Department of Endocrinology, Hippocration General Hospital, Thessaloniki, Greece
J Endocrinol Invest 25:513-9. 2002Post-partum thyroiditis (PPT) is a common disease with important clinical sequelae...
- Ratio of serum free triiodothyronine to free thyroxine in Graves' hyperthyroidism and thyrotoxicosis caused by painless thyroiditisJaeduk Yoshimura Noh
Ito Hospital, Tokyo, Japan
Endocr J 52:537-42. 2005..untreated patients with thyrotoxicosis (48 patients with Graves' disease and 34 patients with painless thyroiditis) were examined in Kuma Hospital, and 218 patients (126 with Graves' disease and 92 with painless thyroiditis) ..
- Interferon-alpha-induced hyperthyroidism: a three-stage evolution from silent thyroiditis towards Graves' diseaseNathalie Lévy Bohbot
Service d endocrinologie, Centre Hospitalier Universitaire de Reims, Hopital Robert Debre, France
Eur J Endocrinol 154:367-72. 2006..hepatitis C for whom IFN-alpha and ribavirin were prescribed and who developed two successive phases of silent thyroiditis followed by hyperthryroidism relapse due to Graves' disease...
- Growth factor-expressing mast cells accumulate at the thyroid tissue-regenerative site of subacute thyroiditisS Toda
Department of Pathology, Saga Medical School, Japan
Thyroid 10:381-6. 2000The localization and biological roles of the multifunctional cell type mast cells remain unclear in subacute thyroiditis that is characterized by both epithelioid granuloma formation and thyroid tissue repair...
- Steroid responsiveness in a case of Riedel's thyroiditis and retroperitoneal fibrosisP K Moulik
Department of Medicine, Halton General Hospital, Runcorn, UK
Int J Clin Pract 58:312-5. 2004Riedel's thyroiditis is a rare chronic inflammatory disease of the thyroid characterised by an invasive fibrotic process...
- Interferon alpha treatment and thyroid dysfunctionYaron Tomer
Division of Endocrinology, Cincinnati VA Medical Center, USA
Endocrinol Metab Clin North Am 36:1051-66; x-xi. 2007..In some cases IFN-induced thyroiditis (IIT) may result in discontinuation of interferon therapy; thus, IIT represents a major clinical problem for ..
- Drug-induced thyroiditis and papillary carcinoma in a minocycline-pigmented black thyroid glandLyndal Tacon
Department of Endocrinology, Royal North Shore Hospital, Sydney, Australia
Thyroid 18:795-7. 2008..was no evidence of Graves' disease or autonomous nodule on thyroid scintigraphy, and a clinical diagnosis of thyroiditis was made...
- Rapid differential diagnosis of Graves' disease and painless thyroiditis using total T3/T4 ratio, TSH, and total alkaline phosphatase activityTetsuo Yanagisawa
Department of Medicine, Institute of Clinical Endocrinology, Tokyo Women s Medical University, Tokyo, Japan
Endocr J 52:29-36. 2005..in an outpatient clinic, it is important to make a differential diagnosis of Graves' disease (GD) and painless thyroiditis (PT)...
- Hypothyroidism after sunitinib treatment for patients with gastrointestinal stromal tumorsJayesh Desai
Brigham and Women s Hospital, Dana Farber Cancer Institute, and Harvard Medical School, Boston, Massachusetts 02115, USA
Ann Intern Med 145:660-4. 2006..Because the ret proto-oncogene is also inhibited by this agent, clinical evaluation of thyroid function was performed...
- Eye signs and serum eye muscle and collagen XIII antibodies in patients with transient and progressive thyroiditisBamini Gopinath
Thyroid Research Laboratory, Department of Medicine, University of Sydney, Nepean Hospital, Penrith, NSW 2751, Australia
Thyroid 17:1123-9. 2007There have been reports of the development of ophthalmopathy in patients with subacute thyroiditis (SAT) in the absence of Graves' disease and thyroid-stimulating hormone receptor (TSH-r) antibodies.
- Riedel's thyroiditis treated with tamoxifenNina Dabelic
Department of Oncology and Nuclear Medicine, Sisters of Mercy University Hospital, Vinogradska 29, 10000 Zagreb, Croatia
Croat Med J 44:239-41. 2003A 46-year-old woman with clinical diagnosis of Riedel's thyroiditis was admitted to our Department, presenting with dyspnea, dysphagia, fatigue, and hoarseness...
- [Concurrence of myasthenia gravis, polymyositis, thyroiditis and eosinophilia in a patient with type B1 thymoma]Manabu Inoue
Department of Neurology, Ijinkai Takeda General Hospital
Rinsho Shinkeigaku 47:423-8. 2007..After the thymectomy, corticosteroid administration and immunoadsorption therapy, clinical symptoms and all laboratory abnormalities markedly improved...
- Transient thyroiditis after treatment with lenalidomide in a patient with metastatic renal cell carcinomaEmily M Stein
Department of Medicine Endocrinology, Weill Medical College of Cornell University, New York, New York 10021, USA
Thyroid 17:681-3. 2007..features of this patient's presentation are most consistent with immune-mediated subacute destructive thyroiditis. This case highlights the importance of monitoring thyroid function in the growing number of patients being ..
- Riedel's thyroiditis and fibrous variant of Hashimoto's thyroiditis: a clinicopathological and immunohistochemical studyG Papi
Department of Internal Medicine, A U S L Modena, Italy
J Endocrinol Invest 26:444-9. 2003The aim of this study was to analyze and compare clinico pathological aspects of Riedel's thyroiditis (RT) and the fibrous variant of Hashimoto's thyroiditis (HTFV), and to show their immunohistochemical features...
- Intrathyroidal branchial cleft-like cyst in chronic thyroiditisR Haba
First Department of Pathology, Kagawa Medical School, Kagawa, Japan
Pathol Int 50:897-900. 2000..The patient is currently well with no evidence or recurrence for 43 months...
- Both CD4(+) T cells and CD8(+) T cells are required for iodine accelerated thyroiditis in NOD miceP R Hutchings
Department of Pathology, University of Cambridge, Cambridge, CB2 1QP, United Kingdom
Cell Immunol 192:113-21. 1999..diabetes mellitus, displays a tendency in common with human diabetic populations to develop autoimmune thyroiditis although incidence and severity of thyroid lesions vary widely among different colonies around the world...
- Dissociation between iodide-induced thyroiditis and antibody-mediated hyperthyroidism in NOD.H-2h4 miceSandra M McLachlan
Autoimmune Disease Unit, Cedars Sinai Research Institute and University of California Los Angeles School of Medicine, Los Angeles, California 90048, USA
Endocrinology 146:294-300. 2005..predisposed to thyroid autoimmunity and spontaneously develop thyroglobulin autoantibodies (TgAb) and thyroiditis. Iodide administration enhances TgAb levels and the incidence and severity of thyroiditis...
- Postpartum thyroiditis: epidemiology and clinical evolution in a nonselected populationA Lucas
Endocrinology Service, Hospital Universitari Germans Trias i Pujol, Badalona, Catalonia, Spain
Thyroid 10:71-7. 2000Postpartum thyroiditis (PPT) presents in approximately 5% of women. Its incidence, clinical characteristics, and evolution were studied in a nonselected population of Mediterranean women...
- Cytological correlation in patients who have a pre-diagnosis of thyroiditis ultrasonographicallyOzlem Aydin
Department of Pathology, Mersin University Medical School, Mersin Icel, Turkey
Endocr Res 29:97-106. 2003Radiological-cytopathological correlation in patients who are prediagnosed ultrasonographically as thyroiditis.
- Thyroid evaluation in patients with primary hyperparathyroidismToshihiro Masatsugu
Noguchi Thyroid Clinic and Hospital Foundation, Beppu, Oita, Japan
Endocr J 52:177-82. 2005..Eight (88.9%) of the 9 non-palpable thyroid cancers were accurately diagnosed by combined US and US-FNAB. Preoperative US is useful for evaluation of possible concomitant thyroid disease, especially for prediction of malignancy...
- Platelet-activating factor and human thyroid cancerYves Denizot
UMR CNRS 6101, Faculte de Medecine, Limoges, France
Eur J Endocrinol 153:31-40. 2005....
- [Treatment of hyperthyroidisms in Brazzaville Teaching Hospital, Congo]H G Monabeka
Service des maladies métaboliques et endocriniennes CHU Brazzaville, Congo
Bull Soc Pathol Exot 98:91-3. 2005..6%) had toxic multinodular goitre while the rest had toxic adenoma (7.6%), and thyroiditis (4.2%). The mean age was 26.6 +/- 7.9 years for Graves' cases and 49.4 +/- 9...
- Association between human leukocyte antigen (HLA) and interferon- induced thyroid diseases in four patients with HCV-related chronic hepatitisGiancarlo Labbadia
Department of Medical Therapy, Faculty of Medicine, University of Rome La Sapienza, Italy
Neuro Endocrinol Lett 26:109-12. 2005..The interferon-alpha (IFN-alpha) therapy for HCV hepatitis may exacerbate or induce underlying thyroid disorders. Besides viral factors, the human leukocyte antigen (HLA) may be an independent risk factor...
- Peroxiredoxin I expression in human thyroid tumorsT Yanagawa
Division of Head and Neck Surgery, Chiba Cancer Center Hospital, Japan
Cancer Lett 145:127-32. 1999..The Prx I expression level in 107 samples out of 60 thyroid lesions, including normal thyroid, tumors and thyroiditis including Graves' disease were examined using immunoblotting...
- [Surgery of the thyroid gland. I]C L Weiss
Martin Luther Universitat Halle Wittenberg, Universitätsklinik für Allgemeinchirurgie, Halle Saale
Zentralbl Chir 129:W76-83. 2004
- High diagnostic value of a radioiodine uptake test with and without iodine restriction in Graves' disease and silent thyroiditisTetsuya Hiraiwa
First Department of Medicine, Osaka Medical College, Takatsuki City, Osaka, Japan
Thyroid 14:531-5. 2004..RAIU value, and the necessity of iodine restriction in differentiating between Graves' disease (GD) and silent thyroiditis (ST)...
- [Thyroid diseases in sub-Saharan Africa]El Hassane Sidibé
Centre médical Marc Sankalé, BP 5062, Fann Dakar, Senegal
Sante 17:33-9. 2007..2%), most often with euthyroid goiters (54.7%), followed by Graves disease (13.1%), hypothyroidism (8.8%), thyroiditis (6.6%), toxic multinodular goiters (6.6 %) and unclassified goiters (10%) [Gabon]...
- Usefulness of the 2nd generation assay for anti-TSH receptor antibodies to differentiate relapse of Graves' thyrotoxicosis from development of painless thyroiditis after antithyroid drug treatment for Graves' diseaseYukiko Izumi
Department of Laboratory Medicine, Osaka University Graduate School of Medicine, Osaka
Endocr J 52:493-7. 2005..antithyroid drug (ATD) treatment for Graves' disease, either a relapse of Graves' thyrotoxicosis or painless thyroiditis can develop...
- Thyroid hemiagenesis with postpartum silent thyroiditisShigenori Nakamura
Department of Internal Medicine, Gifu Red Cross Hospital, Gifu
Intern Med 43:306-9. 2004..This clinical course indicates that she developed silent thyroiditis after the delivery...
- Two cases of atrophic thyroiditis with unilateral low radioiodine uptake on the right lobe in thyroid scintigramMichiyo Mizota
Department of Pediatrics, Kagoshima University, Kagoshima, Japan
Pediatr Int 47:456-8. 2005
- HyperthyroidismBindu Nayak
Division of Endocrinology and Metabolism, Georgetown University Hospital, 4000 Reservoir Road, Building D, Suite 232, Washington, DC 20007, USA
Endocrinol Metab Clin North Am 36:617-56, v. 2007..Thyrotoxicosis is a condition resulting from elevated levels of thyroid hormone. In this article, the authors review the presentation, diagnosis, and management of various causes of thyrotoxicosis...
- Glucocorticoid response in amiodarone-induced thyrotoxicosis resulting from destructive thyroiditis is predicted by thyroid volume and serum free thyroid hormone concentrationsFausto Bogazzi
Department of Endocrinology, University of Pisa, Ospedale Cisanello, Via Paradisa, 2, 56124 Pisa, Italy
J Clin Endocrinol Metab 92:556-62. 2007Amiodarone-induced thyrotoxicosis (AIT) resulting from destructive thyroiditis (type 2) is commonly treated with glucocorticoids, but time needed to restore euthyroidism may be unacceptable for patients with underlying cardiac disorders.
- [Current thyroid diagnostics and therapy in disorders of fertility and in pregnancy]Heike J Fink
Medizinische Klinik, Akademisches Lehrkrankenhaus des Universitätsklinikums Schleswig Holstein, Campus Lubeck
Med Klin (Munich) 101:645-52; quiz 653-4. 2006
- Thyroid pathology and the globus symptom: are they related? A two year prospective trialP Burns
Department of Otolaryngology, Royal Victoria Eye and Ear Hospital, Dublin, Ireland
J Laryngol Otol 121:242-5. 2007..The globus sensation is a constant feeling of a lump in the throat and may be associated with thyroid enlargement. A two year prospective study was set up to ascertain the relationship between thyroid pathology and globus symptoms...
- Induction of goitrous hypothyroidism by dietary iodide in SJL miceHaiyan S Li
Faculty of Medicine, Memorial University of Newfoundland, St John s, Newfoundland, Canada
Endocrinology 148:2747-52. 2007..the incidence of goiter and/or hypothyroidism in humans as well as animals prone to spontaneous autoimmune thyroiditis. In the current study, we investigated the role of dietary iodide on the development of hypothyroidism, as well ..
- [Subclinical hypothyroidism]Toshihiko Yokota
Department of Endocrinology and Rheumatology, Kurashiki Central Hospital
Nihon Rinsho . 2006
- Diagnosis and management of thyrotoxicosisElizabeth N Pearce
Boston University Medical Center, 88 East Newton Street, Evans 201, Boston, MA 02118, USA
BMJ 332:1369-73. 2006
- Simple and practical parameters for differentiation between destruction-induced thyrotoxicosis and Graves' thyrotoxicosisYukiko Izumi
Department of Laboratory Medicine, Osaka University Graduate School of Medicine, Suita, Japan
Clin Endocrinol (Oxf) 57:51-8. 2002..It is, however, often difficult to make this distinction without measurement of radioactive iodine uptake. We searched for simple and practical parameters that might allow differentiation between the two entities...
- Treatment of post-partum thyrotoxicosisF Azizi
Endocrine Research Center, Shaheed Beheshti University of Medical Sciences, P O Box 19395 4763, Tehran, IR Iran
J Endocrinol Invest 29:244-7. 2006..Graves' disease and post-partum thyroiditis are two major causes of thyrotoxicosis in this period...
- [Sonography of the thyroid]W Wiesner
Medizinisch Radiologisches Zentrum, Klinik Stephanshorn, St Gallen
Praxis (Bern 1994) 95:575-80. 2006....
- The incidence of gestational hyperthyroidism and postpartum thyroiditis in treated patients with Graves' diseaseTetsuya Tagami
Clinical Research Institute, Division of Endocrinology and Metabolism, Kyoto Medical Center, National Hospital Organization, Kyoto 612 8555, Japan
Thyroid 17:767-72. 2007..Postpartum transient thyroiditis (PTT) is a destructive thyroiditis induced by autoimmune mechanism in the postpartum period...
- Thyroid cytology and the risk of malignancy in thyroid nodules: importance of nuclear atypia in indeterminate specimensA S Kelman
Department of Medicine, Mount Sinai School of Medicine, New York, NY 10029, USA
Thyroid 11:271-7. 2001..For nodules with benign FNA cytologic diagnoses of nodular goiter and chronic thyroiditis there was a low risk of malignancy (6/99, or 6.1%)...
- Immunohistochemistry differentiates papillary thyroid carcinoma arising in ectopic thyroid tissue from secondary lymph node metastasesDaniela Cabibi
Human Pathology Department, University School of Medicine, Via del Vespro, Palermo, Italy
Thyroid 17:603-7. 2007..To verify whether immunohistochemistry might be useful in the distinction between a true laterocervical metastasis of an undetected thyroid carcinoma and a primary tumor outside the gland...
- [Spectrometric assessment of thyroid depth within the radioiodine test]T Rink
Abteilung für Nuklearmedizin, Klinikum Stadt Honau, J W Goethe Universität Frankfurt, Main
Nuklearmedizin 44:192-6. 2005..Aim of this study is the validation of a simple method for evaluating the depth of the target volume within the radioiodine test by analyzing the emitted iodine-131 energy spectrum...
- Cholesterol 7 alpha-hydroxylase activity in hypothyroidism and hyperthyroidism in humansG Sauter
Department of Medicine II, Klinikum Grosshadern, University of Munich, Germany
Horm Metab Res 29:176-9. 1997..6 ng/ml vs 14.7 +/- 8.1 ng/ml before treatment, n.s.). These findings indicate that in humans, thyroid hormones influence serum lipid concentrations by other mechanisms than by affecting the activity of cholesterol 7 alpha-hydroxylase...
- [Subacute thyroiditis and silent thyroiditis]Kouki Mori
Division of Nephrology, Endocrinology and Vascular Medicine, Tohoku University Graduate School of Medicine
Nihon Rinsho 63:122-6. 2005
- Radionuclide imaging of the thyroid gland: patterns, pearls, and pitfallsJoel R Smith
Department of Radiology, New England Medical Center, Tufts University School of Medicine, Boston, Massachusetts, USA
Clin Nucl Med 29:181-93. 2004..By integrating the interpretive and technical "pearls" and "pitfalls" outlined in this article, the radiologist can be more confident in establishing a proper diagnosis...
- [Thyroid gland diagnosis. 1: Diffuse diseases, epithelial bodies]S Delorme
Abteilung Onkologische Diagnostik und Therapie, Deutsches Krebsforschungszentrum DKFZ, Im Neuenheimer Feld 280, 69120 Heidelberg
Radiologe 42:309-25; quiz 326-7. 2002
- Prevalence and characteristics of postpartum thyroid dysfunction in TehranH B Shahbazian
Endocrine Research Center, Shaheed Beheshti University of Medical Sciences, Tehran, Iran
Eur J Endocrinol 145:397-401. 2001OBJECTIVE: To determine the prevalence of postpartum thyroiditis (PPT), one of the autoimmune disorders of the thyroid which usually occurs in women in the first year after parturition...
- [The thyroid pyramidal lobe: frequency, morphological features and related diseases]Giovanni Sturniolo
Cattedra di Chirurgia Generale, UOC di Chirurgia Generale a Indirizzo Endocrino, Universita degli Studi di Messina, Messina
Chir Ital 60:41-6. 2008..5% of cases, mostly in women, the primary disease invariably arising from the main gland. The Authors conclude that the pyramidal lobe is an embryological remnant which may be involved in diseases arising from the main gland...
- The mechanisms of autoimmunity in endocrinology: application to the thyroid glandA P Weetman
University of Sheffield Clinical Sciences Centre, Northern General Hospital, Sheffield, S57AU, United Kingdom
Ann Endocrinol (Paris) 64:26-7. 2003
- [Benign surgical thyroid pathology in our milieu. Correlation between exploratory tests and anatomopathology]F Pons Rocher
Servicio de Otorrinolaringologia, Hospital Dr Peset, Valencia
An Otorrinolaringol Ibero Am 30:61-72. 2003..6%), spreading hyperplasy (9.1%) and follicular adenoma (37.4%). The aim of this work is the comparative study of findings of complementary explorations with the anatomopathological results gained through the surgical pieces...
- The use of dual phase 201Tl thyroid scan for equivocal fine-needle aspiration results in cold thyroid nodulesC C Lin
Department of Family Medicine, China Medical College Hospital, Taichung, Taiwan
Anticancer Res 21:2969-72. 2001..We concluded that dual phase Tl thyroid scan was very helpful in differentiating between benign and malignant thyroid nodules when FNA results were equivocal...
- [Subacute thyroiditis with cell destruction and temporary hyperthyroidism in Graves'disease--case report]R Pichler
Institut für Nuklearmedizin und Endokrinologie, Allgemeines Krankenhaus Linz, Krankenhausstrasse 9, A 4020 Linz
Acta Med Austriaca 29:137-40. 2002..Three months later hypothyroidism was observed requiring treatment with levothyroxine. The development of subacute thyroiditis and Graves' disease in the same person is rare, autoimmune factors and a possible relationship are discussed.
- The treatment of post-partum thyroid diseaseP J D Owen
J Endocrinol Invest 26:290-1. 2003
- Foetal and neonatal thyroid disordersG Radetti
Departments of Pediatrics, Regional Hospital of Bolzano, Bolzano, Italy
Minerva Pediatr 54:383-400. 2002..The most common causes are maternal thyroid autoimmune disorders, such as Graves' disease and Hashimoto's thyroiditis. Rarer non autoimmune causes recently identified are represented by TSH receptor mutations leading to ..
- [Thyroiditis in patients operated on for goiter]Wojciech Cichoń
Klinika Chirurgii Endokrynologicznej, III Katedry Chirurgii Ogólnej, Collegium Medicum, Uniwersytetu Jagiellonskiego, Krakow
Przegl Lek 59:129-31. 2002The paper is aimed at evaluating the frequency of incidence and the thyroiditis type in patients operated on for goiter. In the years 1989-2000, 5149 patients were operated on because of different thyroid disorders...
- Management of thyrotoxicosisJoseph N Fisher
Department of Medicine, University of Tennessee Health Science Center, Memphis 38163, USA
South Med J 95:493-505. 2002
- Influence of L-thyroxine therapy on parathyroid hormone concentrationsAdonios Zanglis
Clin Chem 54:1092-3. 2008
- Hypothyroidism and women's healthGeoffrey P Redmond
Hormone Center of New York, Center for Health Research, Inc, New York 10021, USA
Int J Fertil Womens Med 47:123-7. 2002..Confirmation of diagnosis is based on laboratory tests, not symptoms. With Hashimoto's thyroiditis, the most common cause, the thyroid is usually firm and irregular to palpation...
- Induction of autoimmune hypothyroidism and subsequent hyperthyroidism by TSH receptor antibodies following subacute thyroiditis: a case reportM Iitaka
Fourth Department of Internal Medicine, Saitama Medical School, Japan
Endocr J 48:139-42. 2001A 45 year-old man had a typical episode of subacute thyroiditis with tender goiter, depressed radioiodine uptake (RAIU) and elevated erythrocyte sedimentation rate...
- Possible induction of Graves' disease and painless thyroiditis by gonadotropin-releasing hormone analoguesNobuyuki Amino
Department of Laboratory Medicine, Osaka University Graduate School of Medicine, Suita, Osaka, Japan
Thyroid 13:815-8. 2003..Another patient developed painless thyroiditis in association with an increase in antithyroid microsomal antibodies at 4 months after initiation of leuprolide ..
- Fine-needle aspiration of Riedel's disease: report of a case and review of the literatureMalini Harigopal
Department of Pathology, New York Presbyterian Hospital, Weill Medical College of Cornell University, New York, New York, USA
Diagn Cytopathol 30:193-7. 2004The cytomorphological features of a case of Riedel's thyroiditis (Riedel's disease) in a 37-yr-old woman are reviewed...
- Regulation of Type 1 Interferon Production by Autoimmunity-Associated PTPN22Yaya Wang; Fiscal Year: 2013..This variant is associated with increased risk for SLE, RA, T1D, and autoimmune thyroiditis. Expression surveys reveal that PTPN22 is highly expressed in the myeloid cells implicated in host defense ..
- ANIMAL MODELS OF HYPERTHYROIDISMSandra M McLachlan; Fiscal Year: 2012..These studies will provide insight into the relationship between thyroiditis, auto antibodies and TSHR T cell epitopes in mice and possibly also into the pathogenesis of human thyroid ..
- Celiac Disease: From Genetic Risk to Disease DevelopmentSusan L Neuhausen; Fiscal Year: 2009..Aim 2 is to investigate the prevalence of auto-antibodies that serve as biomarkers for thyroiditis, type I diabetes, pernicious anemia, and rheumatoid arthritis in CD cases...
- Drug and Viral Induced Thyroiditis and DiabetesYaron Tomer; Fiscal Year: 2013DESCRIPTION (provided by applicant): Our goal is to dissect the mechanisms underlying the development of thyroiditis and diabetes in patients with chronic hepatitis C virus (HCV) infection in order to design new treatment and prevention ..
- The Role of Toll-Like Receptor-3 in T1D and Efficacy of a Novel TherapeuticKelly McCall; Fiscal Year: 2010..pathologic TLR overexpression and signaling in other TLR-mediated autoimmune diseases such as Hashimoto's Thyroiditis and Systemic Lupus Erythematosis...
- CD1 presentation of self glycolipids and lipopeptides to T cellsDAVID BRANCH MOODY; Fiscal Year: 2013..glycolipids and lipopeptides to T cells T cells that recognize autoantigens play a central role in psoriasis, thyroiditis, diabetes, multiple sclerosis, rheumatoid arthritis and other human autoimmune diseases...
- Mechanisms of Immunosuppressive Actions of GlucocorticoidsInez Rogatsky; Fiscal Year: 2011..as interferons (IFN)a/ (J,which are intimately linked to the pathogenesis of lupus, autoimmune diabetes and thyroiditis. Yet, serious side effects associated with GC use can outweigh the benefits of these otherwise effective and ..
- Thyroid Epithelial Cell Hyperplasia: Mechanisms of InductionHELEN B MULLEN; Fiscal Year: 2012Wild-type (WT) and IL-4-/- NOD.H-2h4 mice given 0.05% NaI water develop lymphocytic spontaneous autoimmune thyroiditis (L-SAT) with B and T cell infiltration of the thyroid, and production of anti-thyroglobulin antibody...
- Analyzing The Joint Susceptibility Genes for Autoimmune Thyroiditis and DiabetesYaron Tomer; Fiscal Year: 2012..PUBLIC HEALTH RELEVANCE: Autoimmune thyroid diseases, including Hashimoto's thyroiditis and Graves'disease commonly occur together with type 1 (Juvenile) diabetes in the same families and in the ..
- Influence of Lactation on Postpartum Stress and ImmunityMAUREEN EDITH GROER; Fiscal Year: 2010..potential relationships between these variables and trajectories as well as the development of postpartum thyroiditis (PPT), a common autoimmune disease of the postpartum...
- Thyroid Derived Peptide Presentation by HLA-DR in ThyroiditisYaron Tomer; Fiscal Year: 2013..Our translational studies will hopefully lead to novel therapies for AITD. ..
- Mechanisms by which B cell depletion inhibits autoimmune diseasesHELEN B MULLEN; Fiscal Year: 2012..is to determine how B cells regulate development of autoimmune diseases in a model of spontaneous autoimmune thyroiditis (SAT). All wild-type (WT) NOD.H-2h4 mice given 0...
- Characterization of Innate immune receptorsDetlef Schuppan; Fiscal Year: 2009..Cd is associated with secondary autoimmunity, such as type 1 diabetes or autoimmune thyroiditis, and longterm Cd that has not been treated with a strict gluten free diet can lead to (gastrointestinal) ..
- The RET/PTC3 Oncogene: Antigenic and Inflammatory PropertiesLAURENCE CRANE EISENLOHR; Fiscal Year: 2013..Indeed, RET/PTC-driven PTC and Hashimoto's thyroiditis (HT) are strongly coincidental and individuals who present with both conditions have a better prognosis than ..
- Thyroidal Macrophages in Autoimmune Hypothyroidism and Hurthle CellsPatrizio Caturegli; Fiscal Year: 2010..Autoimmune diseases of the thyroid gland, represented by Graves disease and Hashimoto thyroiditis, are the most common autoimmune diseases...
- Age-Dependent Thymic Events and the Development of Autoimmune T Cells in NOD MiceRoland M Tisch; Fiscal Year: 2013..Importantly, the NOD.scid recipients develop overt diabetes, in addition to thyroiditis. In marked contrast, NOD...
- The role of chemokines in experimental thyroiditisSergio A Lira; Fiscal Year: 2012..Deletion of CCR7, the receptor for CCL21, in the autoimmune-prone NOD background favors development of thyroiditis, suggesting a regulatory role for CCL21 in AITD...
- HEMOSTATIC DEFECTS AND THYROID HORMONE THERAPYWINIFRED DODDS; Fiscal Year: 1990..production, availability and/or reactivity; iii) reduces levels of antithyroid antibodies present in autoimmune thyroiditis which may interfere with hemostasis; and iv) alters endothelial cell metabolism...
- SIMPLIFIED POPULATION SCREENING FOR ADULT HYPOTHYROIDISMEdwin Naylor; Fiscal Year: 2000..DBS specimens from the following three populations who are at high risk for the development of autoimmune thyroiditis and hypothyroidism: (a) An elderly population currently Living in Nursing and Personal Care Homes will be ..
- RETROVIRAL ETIOLOGY OF PRIMARY BILIARY CIRRHOSISAndrew Mason; Fiscal Year: 2002..PBC patients are also prone to develop other autoimmune diseases such as Sjogren's syndrome, thyroiditis, and systemic lupus erythematosus...
- MODULATION OF THE IMMUNE RESPONSE BY VITAMIN DWilliam Rigby; Fiscal Year: 1993..administration has been shown to ameliorate several different animal models of autoimmunity (autoimmune thyroiditis, systemic lupus, adjuvant-induced arthritis, and experimental allergic encephalomyelitis)...
- NOD-H2H4 MICE AS A SENTINEL MODEL FOR AUTOIMMUNE THYROIDC Burek; Fiscal Year: 2001DESCRIPTION (Taken from the Investigator's Abstract) Autoimmune thyroiditis is a multifactorial disease in which genetic predisposition combines with environmental factors to induce disease...
- Ret Signaling in Paraneoplastic Peripheral NeuropathyJOSEPHINE FOX; Fiscal Year: 2009This is a research plan to investigate whether peripheral neuropathy, observed in Hashimoto's thyroiditis patients and papillary carcinoma patients, is caused by autoantibodies specific for the extracellular domain of the c-RET ..
- MOLECULAR AND BIOCHEMICAL ANALYSIS OF THE CANINE MHCJohn Wagner; Fiscal Year: 2001..Adapted from the applicant's abstract): Canine models of human diseases have been used to study autoimmune thyroiditis, gluten-sensitive enteropathy, narcolepsy, complement deficiencies, and solid organ and hematopoietic ..
- IMMUNOTOXIC EFFECTS OF IODINEC Burek; Fiscal Year: 2000DESCRIPTION: (Adapted from the investigator's Abstract) Autoimmune thyroiditis is a multifactorial condition with several genetic and environmental components contributing to disease. Iodine has been implicated as one of these components...
- AUTOIMMUNE THYROIDITIS IN A MODELRoy Sundick; Fiscal Year: 1990The proposes study seeks to elucidate the genetic and environmental factors which contribute to the spontaneous thyroiditis of OS chickens and the iodide-induced thyroditis of CS chickens...
- Therapeutic treatment of EAT by inducing dendritic cellBellur S Prabhakar; Fiscal Year: 2010Experimental Autoimmune Thyroiditis (EAT) is characterized by eventual destruction of thyroid by infiltrating lymphocytes resulting in hypothyroidism...
- TLR Signal Inhibition: a Novel Therapeutic ParadigmLeonard Kohn; Fiscal Year: 2005..g. Type 1 diabetes, colitis, autoimmune thyroiditis, atherosclerosis)...
- SUPPRESSOR MECHANISMS REGULATING AUTOIMMUNE THYROIDITISYI CHI KONG; Fiscal Year: 1990Experimental autoimmune thyroiditis (EAT) in mice serves as a prototype for the study of Hashimoto's thyroiditis, as well as other organ-specific autoimmune disorders...
- MENOPAUSE, IDDM, AND AUTOIMMUNITY--THE FAD STUDYJanice Dorman; Fiscal Year: 2003The Familial Autoimmune and Diabetes (FAD) Study has shown that the prevalence of Hashimoto's thyroiditis, defined by high titres of thyroid peroxidase or thyroglobulin autoantibodies, elevated TSH in the absence of medication, and/or a ..
- Thyrocytes Express Inflammatory MediatorsAndrew Gianoukakis; Fiscal Year: 2006DESCRIPTION (provided by applicant): The understanding of autoimmune thyroid diseases, Hashimoto's thyroiditis and Graves disease (GD), remains superficial and current treatment is symptom-oriented...
- GENETIC CHILDHOOD DISEASES AND AGINGH Fudenberg; Fiscal Year: 1980..easily serve, in the case noted above, as an index that the patient was not suffering from nervousness but from thyroiditis. We also hope to show that aging is due to immunologic mechanisms and perhaps that these mechanisms are ..
- Exocrine Gland Targeting in Autoimmune NOD MiceAMMON PECK; Fiscal Year: 2005..Autoimmune diseases, such as IDDM, IBD, and Hashimoto's thyroiditis, similar to our studies in both the NOD-scid and NOD parental strain, indicate nonimmune factors, as a ..
- CONFERENCE ON HLA & DISEASE MECHANISMS & INTERVENTIONChella David; Fiscal Year: 1999..as experimental models in rheumatoid arthritis, multiple sclerosis, diabetes, lupus, spondyloarthropathies, thyroiditis, myasthenia gravis, and cancer will present their recent findings...
- MINORITY PREDOCTORAL FELLOWSHIP PROGRAMChristopher Sampson; Fiscal Year: 2003..is to define the mechanisms regulating the resolution of a granulomatous form of experimental autoimmune thyroiditis (G-EAT) in mice...
- New Rat Model of Autoimmune Diabetes And ArthritisDennis Guberski; Fiscal Year: 2002..This should increase the incidence of spontaneous diabetes and may induce spontaneous arthritis and thyroiditis. The incidence and age of onset of type 1 diabetes, and the occurrence of spontaneous arthritis will be ..
- The Role of the RET Receptor in Autoimmune DiseaseLaurence Eisenlohr; Fiscal Year: 2007..with anti-RET antibodies appears often in patients afflicted with multinodular goiter, Hashimoto's thyroiditis and/or differentiated thyroid cancer...
- Induction of tolerance to islet cell transplantsBellur Prabhakar; Fiscal Year: 2004..thyroid), that express TSHR and induce tissue-specific tolerance and prevent the development of autoimmune thyroiditis. In this application, under aim 1, we propose to test the potential of an anti-alloantigen (anti-H2d)/anti-CTLA-..
- NOVEL USE OF ZEBRAFISH FOR APOPTOSIS ASSAYChuenlei Parng; Fiscal Year: 2004..hearing loss, organ failure, myelodysplastic syndrome, multiple sclerosis, type 1 diabetes mellitus, thyroiditis, and ulcerative colitis. Compounds that affect apoptosis are potential therapeutics...
- Identifying and Analyzing Genes Linked to Autoimmune Thyroid DiseasesYaron Tomer; Fiscal Year: 2010..Genetic factors play a major role in the etiology of autoimmune thyroid diseases (AITD), Hashimoto's thyroiditis (HT) &Graves'disease (GD)...
- Role of innate immunity in autoimmune myocarditisNoel Rose; Fiscal Year: 2005..The findings generated by these studies will aid in understanding the development of autoimmune disease initiated by infection. ..
- T Cell Recognition & Repertoire in Autoimmune ThyroditisYI CHI KONG; Fiscal Year: 2005The overall goal is to use murine experimental autoimmune thyroiditis (EAT) as a model to probe the recognitory, pathogenic, and regulatory mechanisms, both promoting and inhibiting thyroid damage in Hashimoto's thyroiditis (HT), the ..
- Sex differences in Coxsackievirus-induced myocarditisNoel Rose; Fiscal Year: 2004..The findings generated by these studies will aid in understanding the sex- based differences in severity in this model of infection-induced autoimmune disease. ..
- Pathogenesis of Autoimmune MyocarditisNoel Rose; Fiscal Year: 2009..We propose to broaden our knowledge of the pathogenesis of myocarditis, in order to rationalize new biologic approaches to treatment. ..
- Cell/Tissue Damage and Autoimmune ResponseNoel Rose; Fiscal Year: 2006..Overall, we anticipate a faculty of 25 to 30 speakers, and about 75 to 100 attendees. After the colloquium, our ultimate goal is to publish the meeting report in a well-circulated journal. ..
- Genetic mechanisms of autoimmune myocarditisNoel Rose; Fiscal Year: 2007..We build on our preliminary data to propose hypothesis-driven aims to identify host genes that control susceptibility and characterize their mechanisms of action in a murine model of autoimmune myocarditis. ..
- Interferon gamma in autoimmune thyroiditis & thyroid functionPatrizio Caturegli; Fiscal Year: 2007Interferon gamma (IFNgamma) has been implicated in the pathogenesis of autoimmune (Hashimoto's) thyroiditis. We have generated transgenic mice that express IFNg specifically in the thyroid gland, and shown that IFNgamma a) directly ..
- APOPTOSIS IN THYROIDITISJames Baker; Fiscal Year: 2008..Apoptosis, the process responsible for thyroid cell death in thyroiditis, has recently been found to be important in the pathogenesis of this disorder...
- Autoimmune Thyroiditis-Induction and ResolutionHelen Mullen; Fiscal Year: 2007..the type and extent of an autoimmune inflammatory response using well-defined routine models of autoimmune thyroiditis. These provide a unique opportunity to study 3 distinct outcomes of autoimmune inflammation, i.e...
- Thyroid Epithelial Cell Hyperplasia: Mechanisms of InductionHelen Mullen; Fiscal Year: 2008Wild-type (WT) and IL-4-/- NOD.H-2h4 mice given 0.05% NaI water develop lymphocytic spontaneous autoimmune thyroiditis (L-SAT) with B and T cell infiltration of the thyroid, and production of anti-thyroglobulin antibody...
- Neurocognitive effects of subclinical thyroid diseaseMary Samuels; Fiscal Year: 2004..Based on these pilot studies, it is the long-term goal of the investigator to investigate specific cognitive effects of altered thyroid status in the adult human. ..
- Tilting the balance in cancer immunotherapy and autoimmunityWei Zen Wei; Fiscal Year: 2010..DNA vaccine after CD25+ regulatory T cell (Treg) depletion, but with concurrent induction of autoimmune thyroiditis. To obtain lasting therapeutic efficacy, thereby inhibiting subsequent spontaneous tumorigenesis and metastasis,..