Genomes and Genes
Summary: An enlarged THYROID GLAND containing multiple nodules (THYROID NODULE), usually resulting from recurrent thyroid HYPERPLASIA and involution over many years to produce the irregular enlargement. Multinodular goiters may be nontoxic or may induce THYROTOXICOSIS.
Publications221 found, 100 shown here
- L-thyroxine-treated patients with nodular goiter have lower serum TSH and lower frequency of papillary thyroid cancer: results of a cross-sectional study on 27 914 patientsE Fiore
Department of Endocrinology, University of Pisa, Via Paradisa 2, 56100 Pisa, Italy
Endocr Relat Cancer 17:231-9. 2010..and the development of thyroid autonomy by reducing TSH levels decreases the frequency of PTC in patients with nodular goiter. Our aim was to investigate the effect of L-thyroxine (LT(4)) on the frequency of PTC diagnosed by cytology in ..
- Iodine-131 given for therapeutic purposes modulates differently interferon-gamma-inducible alpha-chemokine CXCL10 serum levels in patients with active Graves' disease or toxic nodular goiterAlessandro Antonelli
Metabolism Unit, Department of Medicine, Regional Center of Nuclear Medicine, University of Pisa Medical School, Via Roma, 67, I 56100 Pisa, Italy
J Clin Endocrinol Metab 92:1485-90. 2007..of the present study was to measure the serum CXCL10 levels in 20 patients with GD and 10 patients with toxic nodular goiter (TNG) before and 6 months after 131I treatment, when patients had achieved euthyroidism...
- Evaluation of routine basal serum calcitonin measurement for early diagnosis of medullary thyroid carcinoma in seven hundred seventy-three patients with nodular goiterA G Ozgen
Endocrinology Department, Bornova Izmir, Turkey
Thyroid 9:579-82. 1999..and to determine whether basal serum calcitonin measurements should be a part of the routine evaluation of a nodular goiter. Basal serum calcitonin levels were obtained from 75 patients (female:male 57:18, mean age 42...
- The occurrence of hypothyroidism following radioactive iodine treatment of toxic nodular goiter is related to the TSH levelH I Adamali
Department of Endocrinology and Diabetes Mellitus, St Vincent s University Hospital, Elm Park, Dublin 4, Ireland
Ir J Med Sci 176:199-203. 2007..Strategies to increase frequency of euthyroidism following radioactive (RAI) treatment of hyperthyroidism are required...
- Current treatment of nodular goiter with hyperthyroidism (Plummer's disease): surgery versus radioiodineAjaipal S Kang
Division of Gastroenterologic and General Surgery, Mayo Clinic and Mayo Foundation, 200 2nd Street SW, Rochester, MN 55905, USA
Surgery 132:916-23; discussion 923. 2002First described 9 decades ago by H. S. Plummer, thyroidectomy and radioiodine remain the 2 therapeutic modalities for toxic nodular goiter. The aim of this study was to determine its optimal treatment.
- Exogenous subclinical hyperthyroidism impairs endothelial function in nodular goiter patientsDilek Gogas Yavuz
Division of Endocrinology and Metabolism, Department of Internal Medicine, Marmara University Medical School, Istanbul, Turkey
Thyroid 18:395-400. 2008..The aim of this study was to evaluate the effect of levothyroxine (LT4) suppression on endothelial function and insulin sensitivity in euthyroid nodular goiter patients.
- Risk factors for recurrent nodular goiter after thyroidectomy for benign disease: case-control study of 244 patientsHelene Gibelin
Department of Endocrine Surgery, Jean Bernard Hospital, 86000 Poitiers, France
World J Surg 28:1079-82. 2004Surgery for recurrent nodular goiter is associated with a significant risk of parathyroid and recurrent laryngeal nerve (RLN) morbidity. Total thyroidectomy for benign disease is assessed...
- Differential expression of miRNAs in papillary thyroid carcinoma compared to multinodular goiter using formalin fixed paraffin embedded tissuesMichael T Tetzlaff
Department of Pathology and Laboratory Medicine, Hospital for the University of Pennsylvania, 3400 Spruce Street, 7 Founders Pavilion, Philadelphia, PA 19040, USA
Endocr Pathol 18:163-73. 2007..The ability to utilize FFPE tissue in the molecular characterization of human malignancy will unlock a rich resource for future cancer studies...
- Recombinant human thyrotropin markedly changes the 131I kinetics during 131I therapy of patients with nodular goiter: an evaluation by a randomized double-blinded trialViveque Egsgaard Nielsen
Department of Endocrinology and Metabolism, Odense University Hospital, DK 5000 Odense C, Denmark
J Clin Endocrinol Metab 90:79-83. 2005..3 mg recombinant human (rh)TSH (n = 35) or placebo (n = 28) given 24 h before (131)I therapy in patients with nodular goiter (median volume, 69 ml; range, 20-440 ml)...
- Management of simple nodular goiter: current status and future perspectivesLaszlo Hegedus
Department of Endocrinology and Metabolism, Odense University Hospital, DK 5000 Odense C, Denmark
Endocr Rev 24:102-32. 2003The simple nodular goiter, the etiology of which is multifactorial, encompasses the spectrum from the incidental asymptomatic small solitary nodule to the large intrathoracic goiter, causing pressure symptoms as well as cosmetic ..
- Value of repeated fine needle aspiration cytology in patients with nodular goiterEdelmiro Menéndez Torre
Unidad de Patología Tiroidea, Hospital de Navarra y Hospital Virgen del Camino, Servicio Navarro de Salud, Pamplona, Spain
Acta Cytol 51:850-2. 2007..To assess the value of reaspiration cytology in benign nodular thyroid disease...
- Multinucleated giant cells in fine needle aspirates. Can they help differentiate papillary thyroid cancer from benign nodular goiter?Pei Ling Tsou
Department of Internal Medicine, College of Medicine, National Taiwan University, National Taiwan University Hospital, Taipei, Taiwan
Acta Cytol 46:823-7. 2002To determine whether multinucleated giant cells (MGCs) in fine needle aspirates can help differentiate papillary thyroid carcinoma (PTC) from benign nodular goiter (BNG).
- Ultrasound-guided fine-needle aspiration biopsy and ultrasonographic features of infracentimetric nodules in patients with nodular goiter: correlation with pathological findingsMustafa Sahin
Department of Endocrinology and Metabolic Disease, Baskent University, Ankara, Turkey
Endocr Pathol 17:67-74. 2006..The cytopathological results of 472 US-FNABs from 207 nodular goiter patients (170 women, 37 men; mean age, 51.5 +/- 13...
- Ultrasound-guided laser thermal ablation in the treatment of autonomous hyperfunctioning thyroid nodules and compressive nontoxic nodular goiterStefano Spiezia
Department of Surgery, Ultrasound Guided and Neck Pathologies Surgery Unit, S Maria del Popolo degli Incurabili Hospital ASL NA1, Naples, Italy
Thyroid 13:941-7. 2003..Percutaneous laser thermal ablation (LTA) has been applied in several tumors. In this study we evaluated the safety and long-term efficacy of LTA in the treatment of benign thyroid nodules...
- Recombinant human thyrotropin-stimulated radioiodine therapy of nodular goiter allows major reduction of the radiation burden with retained efficacySøren Fast
Department of Endocrinology and Metabolism, Odense University Hospital, DK 5000 Odense C, Denmark
J Clin Endocrinol Metab 95:3719-25. 2010..Observations indicate that rhTSH has a preconditioning effect beyond increasing thyroid (131)I uptake. We test the hypothesis that an equivalent GVR might be obtained by an absorbed thyroid dose well below what has been used previously...
- Spontaneous rupture with pseudoaneurysm formation in a nodular goiter presenting as a large neck massChia Che Chang
Department of Emergency Medicine, Lotung Poh Ai Hospital, Lotung, Ilan, Taiwan
J Clin Ultrasound 35:518-20. 2007..We report a case of nodular goiter in which spontaneous rupture with active bleeding developed suddenly, presenting as a large neck mass with ..
- [The LISA trial-a- randomized, double-blind, placebo-controlled four-arm study of 1,000 patients with nodular goiter in Germany. Study Design and first results of feasibility]Martin Grussendorf
Endokrinologie und Diabetologie im Zentrum, Stuttgart
Med Klin (Munich) 100:542-6. 2005Although levothyroxine is the mostly prescribed medicament in Germany, its therapeutic effectiveness in nodular goiter was never studied in a randomized, double-blind trial with sufficient power...
- Serum hepatocyte growth factor is increased in Hashimoto's thyroiditis whether or not it is associated with nodular goiter as compared with healthy non-goitrous individualsR M Ruggeri
Unit of Endocrinology, Clinical Experimental Department of Medicine and Pharmacology, University of Messina, Messina, Italy
J Endocrinol Invest 32:465-9. 2009..Some growth factors and cytokines are known to cooperate with TSH in thyroid nodular growth, but few data are available on their circulating levels in Hashimoto's thyroiditis (HT)...
- Subclinical hyperthyroidism in cats: a spontaneous model of subclinical toxic nodular goiter in humans?Jennifer Wakeling
Department of Veterinary Clinical Sciences, Royal Veterinary College, London, United Kingdom
Thyroid 17:1201-9. 2007..in cats, caused by nodular hyperplasia or adenomas, is clinically and histologically similar to toxic nodular goiter in humans...
- Video-assisted surgery of the thyroid diseasesM Ruggieri
Department of Surgical Sciences and Applied Medical Technologies Francisco Durante, University of Rome La Sapienza, Rome, Italy
Eur Rev Med Pharmacol Sci 7:91-6. 2003..The patients were considered eligible for MIVA hemithyroidectomy and thyroidectomy on the basis of some criteria...
- Effects on bone mineral density by treatment of benign nodular goiter with mildly suppressive doses of L-thyroxine in a cohort women studyM Appetecchia
Endocrinology Unit, Regina Elena Cancer Institute, Rome, Italy
Horm Res 64:293-8. 2005..inhibiting serum thyroid-stimulating hormone (TSH) doses on bone mineral density (BMD) and biochemical bone remodeling markers in a cohort of women with benign nodular goiter, and to verify the efficacy of the treatment on nodule size.
- Dosimetry of radioiodine therapy in patients with nodular goiter after pretreatment with a single, low dose of recombinant human thyroid-stimulating hormoneWilly Anne Nieuwlaat
Department of Nuclear Medicine, Catharina Hospital, Eindhoven, The Netherlands
J Nucl Med 45:626-33. 2004..24-h RAIU and causes a more homogeneous distribution of radioiodine on thyroid scintigrams of patients with nodular goiter. Pretreatment with rhTSH allows the therapeutic dose of (131)I to be reduced by 50%-60% without compromising ..
- Serum levels of cytokines in children and adolescents with Graves' disease and non-toxic nodular goiterA Bossowski
2nd Department of Children s Diseases, Medical Academy of Białystok, Poland
J Pediatr Endocrinol Metab 14:741-7. 2001..8 years), in patients with nontoxic nodular goiter (NTNG) (n=36, mean age 15.6 years) and in a group of healthy controls (n=20, mean age 14.5 years)...
- Retrospective analysis of the association of nodular goiter with primary and secondary hyperparathyroidismS Baldari
Nuclear Medicine Service, Di Venere Hospital, Bari, Italy
Eur J Endocrinol 145:429-34. 2001..5%), but only 92/246 patients in group B (38.2%) had thyroid disorders (notably nodular goiter) associated with HPT (P=0.0035)...
- Calcitonin measurement to detect medullary thyroid carcinoma in nodular goiter: German evidence-based consensus recommendationW Karges
Department of Internal Medicine, University of Ulm, Ulm, Germany
Exp Clin Endocrinol Diabetes 112:52-8. 2004..evidence, we propose multidisciplinary consensus recommendations for the clinical use of CT in patients with nodular goiter. To exclude MTC, serum CT should be determined in patients with nodular thyroid disease, using a two-site CT ..
- Stimulation with 0.3-mg recombinant human thyrotropin prior to iodine 131 therapy to improve the size reduction of benign nontoxic nodular goiter: a prospective randomized double-blind trialViveque Egsgaard Nielsen
Department of Endocrinology and Metabolism, Odense University Hospital, Odense, Denmark
Arch Intern Med 166:1476-82. 2006..Use of recombinant human thyrotropin increases the thyroid radioiodine (iodine 131 [(131)I]) uptake and may have a role in the context of (131)I therapy of benign goiter...
- Pretreatment with a single, low dose of recombinant human thyrotropin allows dose reduction of radioiodine therapy in patients with nodular goiterWilly Anne Nieuwlaat
Department of Nuclear Medicine, Catharina Hospital, 5602 ZA Eindhoven, The Netherlands
J Clin Endocrinol Metab 88:3121-9. 2003In patients with nodular goiter, radioiodine ((131)I) therapy results in a mean reduction in thyroid volume (TV) of approximately 40% after 1 yr...
- Transient goiter enlargement after administration of 0.3 mg of recombinant human thyrotropin in patients with benign nontoxic nodular goiter: a randomized, double-blind, crossover trialViveque Egsgaard Nielsen
Department of Endocrinology and Metabolism, Odense University Hospital, DK 5000 Odense C, Denmark
J Clin Endocrinol Metab 91:1317-22. 2006..01 to 0.9 mg, has been used to augment the effect of radioiodine ((131)I) therapy in patients with a benign nontoxic nodular goiter. Transient thyroid enlargement and thyrotoxicosis may be seen following (131)I therapy.
- Smoking as a risk factor for Graves' disease, toxic nodular goiter, and autoimmune hypothyroidismPeter Vestergaard
The Osteoporosis Clinic, Aarhus Amtssygehus, Aarhus University Hospital, Denmark
Thyroid 12:69-75. 2002..5, 95% confidence interval [CI]: 1.8-3.5), toxic nodular goiter (OR = 1.7, 95% CI: 1.1-2.5), and autoimmune hypothyroidism (OR = 1.5, 95% CI: 1.1-2...
- Comparison between echo-color Doppler sonography features and angioarchitecture of thyroid nodulesMaria P Foschini
Department of Anatomic Pathology, University of Bologna Ospedale Bellaria, Italy
Int J Surg Pathol 15:135-42. 2007..This architectural pattern is not seen in benign nodules or in papillary carcinomas. Comparison with histology suggests that echo-color Doppler images can visualize vessels showing a muscular wall...
- [Management of subclinical hyperthyroidism]Juan Carlos Galofré
Departamento de Endocrinología y Nutrición, Clinica Universitaria, Facultad de Medicina, Universidad de Navarra, Espana
Rev Med Univ Navarra 51:18-22. 2007..In its management, the same treatments are used as in overt hyperthyroidism...
- Diagnosis and surgical management for retrosternal thyroid massYushang Cui
Department of Thoracic Surgery, PUMC Hospital, CAMS and PUMC, Beijing 100730
Chin Med Sci J 17:173-7. 2002..To understand the clinical manifestations, diagnostic methods, surgical management and prognosis of retrosternal thyroid masses in various pathological types...
- Determination of remnant thyroid volume: comparison of ultrasonography, radioactive iodine uptake and serum thyroid-stimulating hormone levelY Erbil
Department of General Surgery, Medical Faculty, Istanbul University, Turkey
J Laryngol Otol 122:615-22. 2008..We aimed to evaluate the accuracy of ultrasonography, radioactive iodine uptake and serum thyroid-stimulating hormone level in predicting the volume of remnant thyroid gland...
- [How to treat benign thyroid gland nodules]Th Siegmund
Krankenhaus Munchen Bogenhausen
MMW Fortschr Med 146:24-7. 2004..Depending on the individual situation of the patient, the therapeutic option of choice is surgical operation or treatment with iodine-31 therapy. Medical treatment of nodular goiter is currently still controversial.
- [Video-assisted thyroidectomy with minimally invasive central cervicotomy: initial experience in an endocrine surgery division]Antonio Ambrosi
UO di Chirurgia Generale, Dipartimento di Scienze Chirurgiche, Universita degli Studi di Foggia
Chir Ital 58:549-56. 2006..In our experience the clinical impact was limited as a result of the small percentage of patients fulfilling the strict inclusion criteria...
- Importance of thyroglobulin levels for diagnosis and monitoring of follicular thyroid carcinoma in an adolescent with severe iodine deficiencyZeynep Siklar
Department of Pediatric Endocrinology, Ankara University Medical School, Ankara, Turkey
J Pediatr Endocrinol Metab 19:1175-8. 2006..A 14.6 year-old girl was diagnosed with nodular goiter, subclinical hypothyroidism and severe iodine deficiency. She had a very high hTG level...
- The advantage of near-total thyroidectomy to avoid postoperative hypoparathyroidism in benign multinodular goiterYesim Erbil
Istanbul Medical Faculty, Department of General Surgery, Istanbul University, 34340, Capa, Istanbul, Turkey
Langenbecks Arch Surg 391:567-73. 2006....
- Radiotherapy-induced thyroid disordersBarbara A Jereczek-Fossa
Department of Radiation Oncology, European Institute of Oncology, 435 Via Ripamonti, 20141 Milan, Italy
Cancer Treat Rev 30:369-84. 2004..Further improvements in radiotherapy techniques and progress in endocrine diagnostics and therapy may allow better prevention and management of radiation-related thyroid injury...
- Thyroid tissue: US-guided percutaneous laser thermal ablationClaudio Maurizio Pacella
Departments of Radiology and Diagnostic Imaging, Ospedale Regina Apostolorum, Via San Francesco 50, 00041 Albano Laziale, Rome, Italy
Radiology 232:272-80. 2004..To evaluate in vivo the safety and effectiveness of percutaneous laser thermal ablation (LTA) in the debulking of thyroid lesions...
- The newly developed three-dimensional (3D) and two-dimensional (2D) thyroid ultrasound are strongly correlated, but 2D overestimates thyroid volume in the presence of nodulesT Rago
Department of Endocrinology, University of Pisa, Pisa, Italy
J Endocrinol Invest 29:423-6. 2006..This intrinsic defect of 2D US should be taken into account when evaluating TV in patients with nodular goiter.
- The minimally invasive open video-assisted approach in surgical thyroid diseasesMassimo Ruggieri
Department of Surgical Sciences and Applied Medical Technologies Francesco Durante, University of Rome La Sapienza, Rome, Italy
BMC Surg 5:9. 2005..This is due to less dissection and destruction of tissues. Pathologies treated are mainly nodular goiter; the only kind of thyroid cancer which may be approached with endoscopic surgery is a small differentiated ..
- Does Hurthle cell lesion/neoplasm predict malignancy more than follicular lesion/neoplasm on thyroid fine-needle aspiration?Robert T Pu
Department of Pathology, Cancer Center, University of Michigan Medical School, Ann Arbor, Michigan, USA
Diagn Cytopathol 34:330-4. 2006..0077). Our results suggest that an FNA diagnosis of HLN does not predict more malignancy than FLN. Males and older patients with a HLN FNA diagnosis carry a higher risk of Hurthle cell carcinoma upon thyroidectomy...
- [Treatment of hyperthyroidisms in Brazzaville Teaching Hospital, Congo]H G Monabeka
Service des maladies métaboliques et endocriniennes CHU Brazzaville, Congo
Bull Soc Pathol Exot 98:91-3. 2005..Ten patients (8.5%/) underwent subtotal thyroidectomy, among them one developed hypothyroidism a year later. The result of this study shows that thyrotoxicosis is not a rare condition in Congo...
- Marine-Lenhart syndromeMehtap Cakir
Division of Endocrinology and Metabolism, Selcuk University, Meram School of Medicine, Konya, Turkey
J Natl Med Assoc 97:1036-8. 2005Graves' disease and toxic nodular goiter both cause thyrotoxicosis by different pathophysiological mechanisms. Cases with both etiologies have the diagnosis of Marine-Lenhart syndrome. Such a case is presented in this paper.
- Increased serum CXCL10 in Graves' disease or autoimmune thyroiditis is not associated with hyper- or hypothyroidism per se, but is specifically sustained by the autoimmune, inflammatory processAlessandro Antonelli
Metabolism Unit, Department of Internal Medicine and CNR Institute of Clinical Physiology, University of Pisa School of Medicine, Via Roma, 67, I 56100, Pisa, Italy
Eur J Endocrinol 154:651-8. 2006..Longitudinal assessment of sCXCL10 in autoimmune hypo- or hyperthyroidism has not yet been performed...
- Gray-scale three-dimensional sonography of thyroid nodules: feasibility of the method and preliminary studiesRafal Z Slapa
Department of Diagnostic Imaging, Medical Faculty II, Medical University of Warsaw, ul Kondratowicza 8, 03 242, Warsaw, Poland
Eur Radiol 16:428-36. 2006..41). Three-dimensional thin-slice surface rendering sonography appears to be a feasible and effective method for thyroid nodule evaluation...
- Thyroid surgery and recurrent laryngeal nerve monitoringS Bailleux
Department of ENT and Maxillofacial Surgery, Pasteur Hospital, Nice, France
J Laryngol Otol 120:566-9. 2006..Recurrent laryngeal nerve paralysis is a much-dreaded complication of thyroid surgery...
- Low-energy interstitial laser photocoagulation for treatment of nonfunctioning thyroid nodules: therapeutic outcome in relation to pretreatment and treatment parametersGerardo Amabile
Unit of Thyroid Pathology Villa Cinzia, Naples, Italy
Thyroid 16:749-55. 2006..However, results supporting the routine use of ILP are still limited...
- Association of medullary and differentiated thyroid carcinomasA Rios
Servicio de Cirugia General y del Aparato Digestivo I, Hospital Universitario Virgen de la Arrixaca, Avenida de la Libertad no 208, Casillas, 30007 Murcia, Spain
Otolaryngol Head Neck Surg 135:473-5. 2006
- Radioiodine therapy in hyperthyroidism: inverse correlation of pretherapeutic iodine uptake level and post-therapeutic outcomeM A Walter
Institute of Nuclear Medicine, University Hospital Basel, Basel, Switzerland
Eur J Clin Invest 34:365-70. 2004..The aim of this study was to analyze the influence of RAI uptake on the outcome after RAI treatment and to estimate uptake-dependent success rates...
- [Update endocrinology: Thyroid sonography]P Bischof
Innere Medizin, Spital Rorschach
Praxis (Bern 1994) 93:695-700. 2004..Clinical findings, laboratory results, ultrasonography and fine needle aspiration biopsy can be used alone or in combination, depending on the indication observed, to help find the accurate diagnosis...
- Fine needle aspiration of poorly differentiated oxyphilic (Hürthle cell) thyroid carcinoma: a case reportMohiedean Ghofrani
Cytology Division, Department of Pathology, Yale University School of Medicine, New Haven, Connecticut 06520 8023, USA
Acta Cytol 50:560-2. 2006..Although the histology of these rare thyroid tumors has been reported in the literature, the cytologic features on fine needle aspiration biopsy have not been described before...
- Ultrasound in head and neck surgery: thyroid, parathyroid, and cervical lymph nodesAlex Senchenkov
Department of Surgery, Medical College of Ohio, 3065 Arlington Avenue, Toledo, OH 43614 5807, USA
Surg Clin North Am 84:973-1000, v. 2004..It has thus become an important adjunct to the practice of head and neck surgery...
- Radioiodine treatment of hyperthyroidism: prognostic factors affecting outcomeCihangir Erem
Department of Internal Medicine, Division of Endocrinology and Metabolism, Karadeniz Technical University Faculty of Medicine, Trabzon, Turkey
Endocrine 25:55-60. 2004..To assess the effectiveness of radioactive iodine (RAI) treatment in patients with hyperthyroidism and to evaluate prognostic factors affecting outcome...
- [Endocrinology. II]Petra Maria Schumm-Draeger
3 Medizinische Abteilung, Endokrinologie, Diabetologie und Angiologie, Krankenhaus Munchen Bogenhausen, München Bogenhausen
Med Klin (Munich) 99:372-82. 2004
- Clinical implementation of endoscopic thyroidectomy in selected patientsDavid J Terris
Department of Otolaryngology Head and Neck Surgery, Medical College of Georgia, Augusta, Georgia, USA
Laryngoscope 116:1745-8. 2006..Systematic investigation of minimal access thyroid compartment surgery combined with the advent of several key new technologies has culminated in the implementation of endoscopic thyroidectomy in specific clinical situations...
- Effectiveness of radioiodine (131-I) as definitive therapy in patients with autoimmune and non-autoimmune hyperthyroidismB Tarantini
Section of Endocrinology and Metabolism, Department of Internal Medicine, Endocrinology and Metabolism and Biochemistry, University of Siena, 53100 Siena, Italy
J Endocrinol Invest 29:594-8. 2006..No influence was found between outcome and clinical parameters at the moment of 131-I therapy. In conclusion, our results indicate that RAI therapy is highly effective and safe for the control of hyperthyroidism...
- [The role of intraoperative parathyroid hormone assay in the surgical management of hyperparathyroidism]R Balzano
II Divisione di Chirurgia Generale, Spedali Civili di Brescia
G Chir 25:242-4. 2004....
- [Quantification of the risk of relapses after thyroid loboisthmusectomy for benign thyroid nodules]Gregorio Scerrino
Universita degli Studi di Palermo, Facolta di Medicina e Chirurgia, Dipartimento GEN UR TO, Unità Operativa di Chirurgia Generale e d Urgenza
Ann Ital Chir 76:321-8; discussion 328-9. 2005..To evaluate correlations between pre-operating epidemiological, clinical and diagnostic data and relapses concerning to patients operated on for benign thyroid nodules...
- [The expression of G proteins alpha-subunit mRNA in different thyroid diseases]Zhao Hui Lu
Department of Endocrinology, Chinese PLA General Hospital, Beijing 100853, China
Zhonghua Nei Ke Za Zhi 42:103-5. 2003..To investigate the expression of G proteins alpha subunit mRNA in different thyroid diseases...
- [A comparative study of cytological and histological studies of the thyroid gland]P Emmrich
Zentralbl Chir 126:267-72. 2001..Preoperative fine-needle aspiration cytology of the thyroid gland reduces the number of patients operated on for multinodular goitre or cold nodules especially in cases suspicious of carcinoma...
- Multinodular goiter: surgical management and histopathological findingsJean Michel Prades
Department of Otolaryngology, Head and Neck Surgery, Bellevue Hospital, St Etienne University Hospital Center, France
Eur Arch Otorhinolaryngol 259:217-21. 2002..1%). Our results suggest that near total thyroidectomy with minimal residual tissue is a versatile surgical procedure for various histopathological features in MNG patients. Low rates of postoperative complications were observed...
- Differentiated thyroid carcinoma in children and adolescents. Clinical characteristics, treatment and outcome of 15 patientsCumhur Arici
Department of General Surgery, Akdeniz University Medical Faculty, Antalya, Turkey
Horm Res 57:153-6. 2002..The aim of this study was to perform a retrospective analysis of treatment results for differentiated thyroid carcinoma in this age group treated in our clinic...
- Blood coagulation and fibrinolysis in patients with hyperthyroidismC Erem
Division of Endocrinology and Metabolism, Faculty of Medicine, Karadeniz Technical University, Trabzon, Turkey
J Endocrinol Invest 25:345-50. 2002..Hyperthyroid patients may experience vascular endothelial dysfunction and decreased fibrinolytic activity in blood. This endothelial activation may represent a situation with a higher thromboembolic potential...
- [The management of thyrotoxicosis: a schematic approach]G Papi
Dipartimento di Medicina Interna, AUSL Modena, Ospedale Ramazzini, Carpi, Italy
Minerva Endocrinol 27:119-26. 2002..authors propose to begin therapy whether subclinical thyrotoxicosis develop in the following four subgroups of subjects: patients with nodular goiter; women in post-menopause; patients with cardiac diseases; patients with osteoporosis.
- Gamma probe-guided surgery for revision thyroidectomy: in comparison with conventional techniqueY Erbil
Department of General Surgery, Istanbul Faculty of Medicine, Istanbul University, CAPA 34390 Istanbul, Turkey
J Endocrinol Invest 28:583-8. 2005..02). These results indicate that intraoperative gamma probe application may be beneficial to detect and remove residual thyroid tissue in revision thyroidectomy...
- [Thyroid autonomy, cyst or thyroid cancer]Klaus Mann
Klinik fur Endokrinologie, Zentrum für Innere Medizin Universität Duisburg Essen
MMW Fortschr Med 150:25, 27-29; quiz 30. 2008
- [Unifocal autonomy and carcinoma of the thyroid gland]P Emmrich
Zentralbl Chir 126:672-5. 2001..These cases show that under the clinical diagnosis of AFTN a differentiated thyroid carcinoma can be hidden occasionally...
- Effect of thyroid gland volume in preoperative detection of suspected malignant thyroid nodules in a multinodular goiterYesim Erbil
Department of General Surgery, Istanbul Medical Faculty, University of Istanbul, 34340 Capa, Istanbul, Turkey
Arch Surg 143:558-63; discussion 563. 2008..The detection of suspected malignant thyroid nodules by ultrasonography is associated with thyroid gland volume and tumor size...
- Utility of I-123 thyroid uptake scan in incidental thyroid nodules: an old test with a new roleScott M Wilhelm
Division of Surgical Oncology, University Hospitals Case Medical Center, Cleveland, Ohio 44106, USA
Surgery 144:511-5; discussion 515-7. 2008..In an incidentally discovered multinodular thyroid goiter, determining which nodule to biopsy is challenging. This study examined whether I-123 thyroid uptake scans (TUS) could guide this biopsy...
- Thyroidectomy or radioiodine? The value of ultrasonography and cytology in the assessment of nodular lesions in Graves' hyperthyroidismC Y Wang
Graduate Institute of Physiology, College of Medicine, National Taiwan University, Taipei
Am Surg 67:721-6. 2001..Twenty-seven consecutive GD patients with nodular goiter were included in this study (21 women and six men, mean age 41.2 years, range 22-77 years)...
- Solitary adrenal gland metastasis of a follicular thyroid carcinoma presenting with hyperthyroidismP J Yunta
Service de Chirurgie, , La Fe, Avda. Campanar 21, 46009 Valencia, Espagne
Ann Endocrinol (Paris) 62:226-9. 2001..A (131)I whole body scan is the diagnostic method of choice for functioning thyroid metastasis...
- [Malignant goiter--thyroid cancer]Chr Reiners
Klinik und Poliklinik fur Nuklearmedizin, Universitat Wurzburg
Dtsch Med Wochenschr 133:2215-28; quiz 2229-30. 2008
- Multinodular goiter in childrenS Al-Fifi
Department of Child Health, College of Medicine, King Khalid University, Abha, Saudi Arabia
J Pediatr Endocrinol Metab 14:749-56. 2001..Ultrasound at the time of diagnosis and in follow up seems beneficial. Familial forms appear to warrant close follow up, given the apparent increased risk of malignancy. The risk of malignancy while low remains real...
- Telomerase activity and telomere length in thyroid neoplasia: biological and clinical implicationsP Matthews
Department of Pathology, University of Wales College of Medicine, Cardiff CF14 4XN, UK
J Pathol 194:183-93. 2001..From a clinical standpoint, it is concluded that telomerase detection on unfractionated tissue, such as fine needle aspirates, is of no value as a marker of malignancy in follicular lesions, due to both low sensitivity and specificity...
- The incidence of hyperthyroidism in patients with thyroid cancer in an area of iodine deficiencyMehmet Ali Gulcelik
Department of General Surgery, Ankara Oncology Training and Research Hospital, Ankara, Turkey
J Surg Oncol 94:35-9. 2006..The aim of the study was to evaluate the association of hyperthyroidism and thyroid cancer (TC) in an iodine deficient area...
- Hyperthyroidism and concurrent thyroid cancerR Vaiana
Second Division of General Surgery, Spedali Civili, Brescia, Italy
Tumori 85:247-52. 1999....
- [The thyroid pyramidal lobe: frequency, morphological features and related diseases]Giovanni Sturniolo
Cattedra di Chirurgia Generale, UOC di Chirurgia Generale a Indirizzo Endocrino, Universita degli Studi di Messina, Messina
Chir Ital 60:41-6. 2008..5% of cases, mostly in women, the primary disease invariably arising from the main gland. The Authors conclude that the pyramidal lobe is an embryological remnant which may be involved in diseases arising from the main gland...
- Surgical management of thyroid diseases--a study on 78 casesM Monwar Hossain
Department of ENT, MMC, Mymensingh
Mymensingh Med J 11:6-8. 2002..4%) patients. The study showed that females were the mostly affected group having benign single cold nodular goitre who were treated surgically by hemithyroidectomy...
- Thyroid nodular disease: an emerging problemE De Martino
Dipartimento di Scienze Mediche e Chirurgiche, II Divisione di Medicina Interna ed Endocrinologia, Universita degli Studi di Brescia, Spedali Civili Brescia, Italia
Minerva Endocrinol 33:15-25. 2008..Aim of this work is to delineate a rational approach to thyroid nodules, taking in account literature data, the most recent guidelines and our clinical experience...
- Medullary thyroid carcinoma: a rare presentation as a hypervascular tumourW Y Li
Department of General Surgery, Crawley Hospital, West Sussex, UK
J Laryngol Otol 116:647-9. 2002..The management of hypervascular thyroid tumours is discussed together with current controversies regarding persistent hypercalcitoninaemia...
- [Current indications for thyroidectomy]G Dionigi
Centro di Ricerche in Endocrinochirurgia, Dipartimento di Scienze Chirurgiche, Universita degli Studi dell Insubria, Varese
Minerva Chir 62:359-72. 2007....
- Recombinant human thyroid-stimulating hormone: pharmacology, clinical applications and potential usesCharles H Emerson
Department of Medicine, University of Massachusetts School of Medicine, Worcester, Massachusetts 01655, USA
BioDrugs 17:19-38. 2003..In the future, TSH analogues that have superagonist or antagonist properties may become available as therapeutic agents...
- Transient hypoparathyroidism following thyroidectomy: a prospective study and multivariate analysis of 604 consecutive patientsOttavio Cavicchi
ENT Department, S Orsola Malpighi Hospital, Bologna University, Bologna, Italy
Otolaryngol Head Neck Surg 137:654-8. 2007..The purpose of this study was to identify the risk factors for postoperative transient hypoparathyroidism in a group of patients undergoing thyroid surgery...
- False-positive I-131 accumulation in a hepatic hydatid cystOzgur Omur
Department of Nuclear Medicine, Ege University Medical Faculty, Bornova Izmir, Turkey
Clin Nucl Med 32:930-2. 2007..Hepatic cystic mass was removed, and postoperative histologic evaluation confirmed hydatid disease. Some cystic lesions of the kidney and liver have been previously reported as causes of false-positive radioiodine accumulation...
- [Diagnosis of thyroid disease. Part 2: thyroid gland nodes, diagnosis and treatment of thyroid carcinoma]S Delorme
Abteilung für Onkologische Diagnostik und Therapie, Deutsches Krebforschungszentrum, Heidelberg
Radiologe 43:179-94; quiz 194-5. 2003
- Contemporary diagnostic approach to the thyroid noduleJennifer E Rosen
Department of Surgery, Section of Surgical Oncology, Boston University School of Medicine, 88 East Newton Street D605, Boston, MA 02118, USA
J Surg Oncol 94:649-61. 2006..Given how many questions still exist for patients with thyroid nodules, partnership and collaboration, or the "bench to bedside" concept should find its way into most every thyroid surgeon and endocrinologist's lexicon...
- Radioiodine therapy of thyroid autonomyChristoph Reiners
Clinic and Policlinic for Nuclear Medicine, University of Wurzburg, Josef Schneider Strasse 2, 97080 Wurzburg, Germany
Eur J Nucl Med Mol Imaging 29:S471-8. 2002..Therapy-related risks, such as immunogenic hypothyroidism or thyroid cancer, are discussed. (131)I treatment of functional autonomy and hyperthyroidism is considered an effective and safe procedure...
- [Reoperations of the thyroid gland]M R Diaconescu
Clinica a IV a Chirurgie, Universitatea de Medicină si Farmacie Gr T Popa Iaşi
Chirurgia (Bucur) 102:297-302. 2007....
- [Ultrasonography-guided therapeutic procedures in the neck region]Hrvojka Tomić Brzac
Klinicki zavod za nuklearnu medicinu i zastitu od zracenja, Klinicki bolnicki centar Zagreb, Zagreb, Hrvatska
Acta Med Croatica 63:21-7. 2009..Other methods like laser photocoagulation (ILP) or radiofrequency ablation (RFA) are more aggressive and expensive...
- Serum insulin-like growth factor-I, insulin-like growth factor binding proteins, and bone mineral content in hyperthyroidismP Lakatos
1st Department of Medicine, Semmelweis University Medical School, Budapest, Hungary
Thyroid 10:417-23. 2000..who had recently been diagnosed with hyperthyroidism (age: 29-67 years; 19 with Graves' disease, 17 with toxic nodular goiter) and 36 age-matched healthy women as controls...
- 99mTc-MIBI radio-guided minimally invasive parathyroidectomy: experience with patients with normal thyroids and nodular goitersDario Casara
Nuclear Medicine Service, Radiotherapy Department, Azienda Ospedaliera di Padova, Italy
Thyroid 12:53-61. 2002..was utilized during a standard bilateral neck exploration (BNE) because of the presence of concomitant nodular goiter (11 cases) or multiglandular disease (MGD) (3 cases)...
- Analysis of changes in the percentage of B (CD19) and T (CD3) lymphocytes, subsets CD4, CD8 and their memory (CD45RO), and naive (CD45RA) T cells in children with immune and non-immune thyroid diseasesArtur Bossowski
2nd Department of Children s Diseases, Medical Academy of Białystok, Poland
J Pediatr Endocrinol Metab 16:63-70. 2003..9 +/- 5.9 years) and non-toxic nodular goiter (NTNG) (n = 25, mean age 15...
- [Expression of mucin-l and beta-catenin in papillary thyroid carcinoma and the clinical significance thereof]Fei He
Department of Endocrinology, Taizhou Municipal Hospital, Taizhou 318000, China
Zhonghua Yi Xue Za Zhi 89:393-6. 2009..To investigate the expression levels of mucin-1 (MUC1) and beta-catenin in papillary thyroid carcinoma, the significance thereof in the carcinogenesis and development of tumor...
- The value of ultrasonography in predicting autoimmune thyroid diseaseO M Pedersen
Department of Clinical Biology, Haukeland Hospital, University of Bergen, Norway
Thyroid 10:251-9. 2000..in 352 patients; Graves' disease in 47 patients; subacute (granulomatous) thyroiditis in 7 patients; toxic nodular goiter in 3 patients; and toxic adenoma in 2 patients...
- [Expression of TTF-1 in thyroid tumors originating from follicular epithelium and its correlation with expression of RET, galectin-3 and mucin-1 genes]Yun Chen
Department of Pathology, Changhai Hospital, Second Military Medical University, Shanghai 200433, China
Zhonghua Yi Xue Za Zhi 82:257-61. 2002....
- Relapses of hyperthyroidism in patients treated with radioiodine for nodular toxic goiter: relation to thyroid autoimmunityN Custro
Institute of Internal Medicine and Geriatrics, University of Palermo, Italy
J Endocrinol Invest 26:106-10. 2003Relapses of hyperthyroidism after treatment with radioiodine for uni- or multi-nodular goiter may be accompanied by the appearance of TSAb...
- Identification of a novel point mutation in the RET gene (Ala883Thr), which is associated with medullary thyroid carcinoma phenotype only in homozygous conditionRossella Elisei
Department of Endocrinology, University of Pisa, Via Paradisa 2, 56124 Pisa, Italy
J Clin Endocrinol Metab 89:5823-7. 2004..The mother (82 yr old) showed a nodular goiter but was negative both for basal and pentagastrin stimulated calcitonin...
- Thyroid disorders in hemodialysis patients in an iodine-deficient communitySim Kutlay
Department of Nephrology, Ankara University School of Medicine, Ankara, Turkey
Artif Organs 29:329-32. 2005..Between patients with or without a nodular goiter the authors could not observe any difference for duration of dialysis and serum levels of TSH, FT4, FT3, ..
- Th1 and Th2 serum cytokine profiles characterize patients with Hashimoto's thyroiditis (Th1) and Graves' disease (Th2)Costas Phenekos
Department of Endocrinology, Red Cross Hospital, Athens, Greece
Neuroimmunomodulation 11:209-13. 2004The aim of this study was to document the pattern of immune response, assessed by the measurement of both Th1 and Th2 serum cytokines, in patients suffering from autoimmune thyroid disease and toxic nodular goiter.
- Increased thrombin-activatable fibrinolysis inhibitor and decreased tissue factor pathway inhibitor in patients with hyperthyroidismCihangir Erem
Division of Endocrinology and Metabolism, Department of Internal Medicine, Karadeniz Technical University Faculty of Medicine, K T Ü Tıp Fakültesi, Ic Hastaliklari Anabilim Dali, 61080 Trabzon, Turkey
Endocrine 36:473-8. 2009..001 for all of them). We did not find a significant difference between Graves' disease and toxic nodular goiter for hemostatic parameters...
- MOLECULAR GENETIC STUDIES OF THYROID CELL LINESDuncan Ferguson; Fiscal Year: 1993..objectives of these studies are to establish spontaneous feline hyperfunctional adenomatous goiter (toxic nodular goiter) as a model for human benign thyroid tumors, and to probe for molecular genetic abnormalities associated with ..
- THYROID HORMONE REGULATION OF MOUSE SOMATOSTATIN TYPE 5WHITNEY WOODMANSEE; Fiscal Year: 2004..The institution and her mentors provide a supportive setting for her to flourish as a physician- scientist. ..
- Regulation of Mouse Somatostatin Receptor Subtype 5 GeneWHITNEY WOODMANSEE; Fiscal Year: 2004..abstract_text> ..
- Extracellular matrix and protease markers of malignant thyroid neoplasmElectron Kebebew; Fiscal Year: 2007..We will use these results to design a multicenter clinical trial evaluating the diagnostic and prognostic value of ECM1 and TMPRSS4 expression in patients with thyroid neoplasm. [unreadable] [unreadable] [unreadable]..