Genomes and Genes
Summary: A disease that is characterized by frequent urination, excretion of large amounts of dilute URINE, and excessive THIRST. Etiologies of diabetes insipidus include deficiency of ANTIDIURETIC HORMONE (also known as ADH or VASOPRESSIN) secreted by the NEUROHYPOPHYSIS, impaired KIDNEY response to ADH, and impaired hypothalamic regulation of thirst.
Publications251 found, 100 shown here
- Perioperative management of diabetes insipidus in children [corrected]Lisa Wise-Faberowski
Children s Hospital Boston and Harvard Medical School, Boston, Massachusetts, USA
J Neurosurg Anesthesiol 16:14-9. 2004Managing children with diabetes insipidus (DI) in the perioperative period is complicated and frequently associated with electrolyte imbalance compounded by over- or underhydration...
- Single base deletion in the vasopressin gene is the cause of diabetes insipidus in Brattleboro ratsH Schmale
Nature 308:705-9. 1984In rats with hereditary hypothalamic diabetes insipidus (Brattleboro rats) the gene for the vasopressin precursor lacks a single G residue in the protein-coding region...
- Molecular basis of autosomal dominant neurohypophyseal diabetes insipidus. Cellular toxicity caused by the accumulation of mutant vasopressin precursors within the endoplasmic reticulumM Ito
Division of Endocrinology, Metabolism, and Molecular Medicine, Northwestern University Medical School, Chicago, Illinois 60611, USA
J Clin Invest 99:1897-905. 1997Mutations in the arginine vasopressin (AVP) gene cause autosomal dominant familial neurohypophyseal diabetes insipidus (FNDI)...
- Severe hypernatraemia due to nephrogenic diabetes insipidus - a life-threatening side effect of chronic lithium therapyL Sze
Division of Endocrinology and Diabetes, Department of Internal Medicine, Kantonsspital St Gallen, St Gallen, Switzerland
Exp Clin Endocrinol Diabetes 114:596-8. 2006Renal toxicity of long-term lithium therapy is a common problem. Nephrogenic diabetes insipidus is the most frequently encountered complication, but often remains unrecognised because of the rather benign symptoms...
- Aldosterone increases urine production and decreases apical AQP2 expression in rats with diabetes insipidusJakob Nielsen
The Water and Salt Research Center, Institute of Anatomy, University of Aarhus, DK 8000 Aarhus, Denmark
Am J Physiol Renal Physiol 290:F438-49. 2006..on water balance and aquaporin (AQP) 2 expression in rats with 21 days of lithium-induced nephrogenic diabetes insipidus (Li-NDI)...
- Exome sequencing finds a novel PCSK1 mutation in a child with generalized malabsorptive diarrhea and diabetes insipidusMichael Yourshaw
Department of Human Genetics, David Geffen School of Medicine Department of Pediatrics, Division of Gastroenterology and Nutrition, Mattel Children s Hospital and David Geffen School of Medicine, University of California, Los Angeles Department of Anatomy and Neurobiology, University of Maryland Baltimore County, Baltimore, MD Department of Pathology and Laboratory Medicine, David Geffen School of Medicine, University of California, Los Angeles Department of Pediatrics, Division of Endocrinology, Mattel Children s Hospital and David Geffen School of Medicine, University of California, Los Angeles Department of Pediatrics, University of Nevada School of Medicine, Las Vegas Department of Human Genetics, David Geffen School of Medicine, University of California, Los Angeles
J Pediatr Gastroenterol Nutr 57:759-67. 2013....
- Diabetes insipidus in mice with a mutation in aquaporin-2David J Lloyd
Genomics Institute of the Novartis Research Foundation, La Jolla, California, USA
PLoS Genet 1:e20. 2005Congenital nephrogenic diabetes insipidus (NDI) is a disease characterized by failure of the kidney to concentrate urine in response to vasopressin...
- Diabetes insipidus in pregnancy: etiology, evaluation, and managementSonia Ananthakrishnan
Section of Endocrinology, Diabetes, and Nutrition, Boston University School of Medicine, Boston Medical Center, Boston, Massachusetts 02118, USA
Endocr Pract 15:377-82. 2009To review the approach to a patient with diabetes insipidus during pregnancy.
- Challenges in management of patients with intracranial germ cell tumor and diabetes insipidus treated with cisplatin and/or ifosfamide based chemotherapySamina Afzal
Division of Haematology Oncology Neuro Oncology, Hospital for Sick Children, 555 University Avenue, Toronto M5G 1X8, Canada
J Neurooncol 97:393-9. 2010Patients with intracranial germ cell tumor (IGCT) often present with pituitary dysfunction, including diabetes insipidus (DI)...
- Lymphocytic hypophysitis with diabetes insipidus in a young manOle Petter R Hamnvik
Department of Medicine, Brigham and Women s Hospital and Harvard Medical School, 75 Francis Street, Boston, MA 02115, USA
Nat Rev Endocrinol 6:464-70. 2010A 29-year-old man was referred to a multidisciplinary pituitary clinic with a 3.5-year history of central diabetes insipidus, initially presumed to be idiopathic based on a normal MRI scan of the pituitary gland...
- Recurrent pregnancy-induced diabetes insipidus in a woman with hemochromatosisRobert Krysiak
Department of Internal Medicine and Clinical Pharmacology, Medical University of Silesia, Katowice, Poland
Endocr J 57:1023-8. 2010b>Diabetes insipidus is a rare disorder in pregnant women, predating pregnancy or appearing for the first time during gestation...
- Familial forms of diabetes insipidus: clinical and molecular characteristicsMuriel Babey
Division of Endocrinology, Metabolism and Molecular Medicine, Feinberg School of Medicine, Northwestern University, Tarry 15, 303 East Chicago Avenue, Chicago, IL 60611, USA
Nat Rev Endocrinol 7:701-14. 2011Over the past two decades, the genetic and molecular basis of familial forms of diabetes insipidus has been elucidated...
- Cutting edge: neuronal recognition by CD8 T cells elicits central diabetes insipidusTanja Scheikl
INSERM, U1043, Toulouse F 31300, France
J Immunol 188:4731-5. 2012..Unexpectedly, diabetes insipidus developed in surviving animals...
- Nature and recurrence of AVPR2 mutations in X-linked nephrogenic diabetes insipidusD G Bichet
Departement de Medecine, Hopital du Sacre Coeur de Montreal, Universite de Montreal, Quebec, Canada
Am J Hum Genet 55:278-86. 1994X-linked nephrogenic diabetes insipidus (NDI) is a rare disease with defective renal and extrarenal arginine-vaso-pressin V2 receptor responses due to mutations in the AVPR2 gene in Xq28...
- Nephrogenic diabetes insipidus. A V2 vasopressin receptor unable to stimulate adenylyl cyclaseW Rosenthal
Department of Cell Biology, Baylor College of Medicine, Houston, Texas 77030
J Biol Chem 268:13030-3. 1993..vasopressin type 2 receptor gene bears mutations in the individuals affected with congenital nephrogenic diabetes insipidus, a disease characterized by the inability of the kidney to concentrate urine in response to vasopressin...
- Diabetes insipidus--diagnosis and managementNatascia Di Iorgi
Department of Pediatrics, IRCCS G Gaslini, University of Genoa, Largo Gerolamo Gaslini 5, Genoa, Italy
Horm Res Paediatr 77:69-84. 2012Central diabetes insipidus (CDI) is the end result of a number of conditions that affect the hypothalamic-neurohypophyseal system...
- Diabetes insipidus in craniopharyngioma: postoperative management of water and electrolyte disordersStefano Ghirardello
Department of Pediatrics, IRCCS Policlinico San Matteo, University of Pavia, Pavia, Italy
J Pediatr Endocrinol Metab 19:413-21. 2006Pre-operative central diabetes insipidus has been reported in 8-35% of patients affected with craniopharyngioma, and in 70-90% after surgery...
- 'Stalkitis' in a pregnant 32-year-old woman: a rare cause of diabetes insipidusD A Leggett
Centre for Functional Imaging, Wesley Hospital, Brisbane, Queensland, Australia
Australas Radiol 43:104-7. 1999..of lymphocytic infundibulo-neurohypophysitis (LINH) or 'stalkitis' in a 32-year-old woman who presented with diabetes insipidus (DI) during pregnancy is reported here. The diagnosis was made with MR imaging...
- Isolated Langerhans cell histiocytosis of the infundibulum presenting with fulminant diabetes insipidusEric M Horn
Division of Neurological Surgery, Barrow Neurological Institute, St Joseph s Hospital and Medical Center, Phoenix, AZ 85013, USA
Childs Nerv Syst 22:542-4. 2006..A common manifestation of the disease is diabetes insipidus even in the absence of neural involvement...
- Diabetes insipidus as a complication after pituitary surgeryJennifer A Loh
Georgetown University Washington Hospital Center Endocrinology and Metabolism Training Program, Washington, DC, USA
Nat Clin Pract Endocrinol Metab 3:489-94. 2007..The patient underwent trans-sphenoidal resection of the mass without any significant intraoperative complications. On postoperative day 1 she abruptly developed polyuria, hypernatremia and urine hypo-osmolality...
- Severe hypernatremia after cesarean delivery secondary to transient diabetes insipidus of pregnancyDavid M Sherer
Division of Maternal Fetal Medicine, Department of Obstetrics and Gynecology, State University of New York, Downstate Medical Center, Brooklyn, New York 11203, USA
Obstet Gynecol 102:1166-8. 2003Transient diabetes insipidus is an uncommon complication of pregnancy, usually manifesting with polydipsia and polyuria...
- Diabetes insipidus and panhypopituitarism revealing pituitary metastasis of small cell lung carcinoma: a case reportL Harzallah
Department of Medical Imaging, Farhat Hached Hospital, Sousse 4000, Tunisie
Ann Endocrinol (Paris) 66:117-20. 2005..We report a case of pituitary metastasis which was the prime manifestation of a small cell lung carcinoma in a 40-year-old man. This cancer was revealed by diabetes insipidus and a hypopituitarism.
- Hydrocortisone dose and postoperative diabetes insipidus in patients undergoing transsphenoidal pituitary surgery: a prospective randomized controlled studyS Rajaratnam
Department of Endocrinology, Christian Medical College, Vellore, India
Br J Neurosurg 17:437-42. 2003..the results of a prospective randomized controlled trial, which looked at the incidence of postoperative diabetes insipidus (DI) following the use of three different hydrocortisone protocols, and the results of a study, on the ..
- The value of urine specific gravity in detecting diabetes insipidus in a patient with uncontrolled diabetes mellitus: urine specific gravity in differential diagnosisErsin Akarsu
Division of Endocrinology, Medical School of Gaziantep University, Gaziantep, Turkey
J Gen Intern Med 21:C1-2. 2006..is a sensible, cost-effective approach? We report the unique coincidence of type 2 diabetes mellitus and diabetes insipidus. A 46-year-old woman with poorly controlled type 2 diabetes complained of polyuria with a daily output of 5 ..
- A case of transient diabetes insipidus following cardiopulmonary bypassOmer Ashraf
The Aga Khan University Hospital, Karachi, Pakistan
J Pak Med Assoc 55:565-6. 2005..Rarely reported though is the development of full-blown diabetes insipidus in such patients. The etiology is unknown and has only been hypothesized in the past...
- Diabetes insipidus as a consequence of neurologic involvement in Behcet's syndromeAleksandra Szymajda
Department of Internal Medicine, Division of Endocrinology, and Metabolism, University of Texas Medical Branch, Galveston, Texas 77555, USA
Endocr Pract 9:33-5. 2003To describe a case of central diabetes insipidus that was associated with Behçet's syndrome.
- Requirement of human renal water channel aquaporin-2 for vasopressin-dependent concentration of urineP M Deen
Department of Cell Physiology, University of Nijmegen, Netherlands
Science 264:92-5. 1994..In nephrogenic diabetes insipidus (NDI), the kidney fails to concentrate urine in response to vasopressin...
- Diabetes insipidus caused by pituitary gland metastasis accompanied by iris metastasis of small cell lung cancer: case presentation and review of the literatureAhmet Alacacioglu
Institute of Oncology, Faculty of Medicine, Dokuz Eylul University, Izmir, Turkey
Tumori 94:765-8. 2008..Here we present a case of iris metastasis and pituitary gland metastasis which caused diabetes insipidus in a patient with small cell lung cancer.
- Appropriate polarization following pharmacological rescue of V2 vasopressin receptors encoded by X-linked nephrogenic diabetes insipidus alleles involves a conformation of the receptor that also attains mature glycosylationChristopher M Tan
Department of Pharmacology, Vanderbilt University Medical Center, Nashville, Tennessee 37232 6600, USA
J Biol Chem 278:35678-86. 2003..cells and in COS M6 cells; the mutant V2Rs represent selected alleles responsible for X-linked nephrogenic diabetes insipidus. The WT V2R is localized on the plasma membrane and mediates arginine vasopressin (AVP)-stimulated cAMP ..
- Mutations in the vasopressin type 2 receptor gene (AVPR2) associated with nephrogenic diabetes insipidusA M van den Ouweland
Department of Human Genetics, University Hospital Nijmegen, The Netherlands
Nat Genet 2:99-102. 1992Nephrogenic diabetes insipidus (DIR) is an X-linked disorder characterized by insensitivity of the distal nephron for the pituitary hormone, vasopressin...
- Cloning and characterization of a vasopressin V2 receptor and possible link to nephrogenic diabetes insipidusS J Lolait
Laboratory of Cell Biology, National Institute of Mental Health, Bethesda, Maryland 20892
Nature 357:336-9. 1992..The human V2 receptor gene has been localized to the long arm of the X chromosome close to the locus for nephrogenic diabetes insipidus, an X-linked recessive disorder characterized by renal resistance to the antidiuretic action of AVP.
- Erdheim-Chester syndrome, presenting as hypogonadotropic hypogonadism and diabetes insipidusM E Khamseh
Endocrine Research Center, Shaheed Beheshti University of Medical Sciences, Tehran, IR Iran
J Endocrinol Invest 25:727-9. 2002..The present case is a 46-yr-old man, that presented with signs and symptoms of diabetes insipidus and hypogonadotropic hypogonadism simultaneously...
- Hypodipsic hypernatremia and diabetes insipidus following anterior communicating artery aneurysm clipping: diagnostic and therapeutic challenges in the amnestic rehabilitation patientB N Nguyen
Mississippi Methodist Rehabilitation Center, Jackson, MS, USA
Brain Inj 15:975-80. 2001..The patient denied thirst, and showed no clinical signs of dehydration. Neuroendocrine evaluation revealed diabetes insipidus (DI) and HH...
- Sheehan's syndrome presenting post-partum with diabetes insipidusGareth Weston
Department of Obstetrics and Gynaecology, Monash University, Melbourne, Australia
Aust N Z J Obstet Gynaecol 45:249-50. 2005
- The dilemma of diagnosing the cause of hypernatraemia: drinking habits vs diabetes insipidusBiruh Workeneh
Department of Medicine, University of Texas Medical Branch, Galveston, TX 77555, USA
Nephrol Dial Transplant 19:3165-7. 2004
- Utility of magnetic resonance imaging in the evaluation of the child with central diabetes insipidusCraig A Alter
Department of Pediatrics and Radiology, The Children s Hospital of Philadelphia, and University of Pennsylvania School of Medicine, 19104, USA
J Pediatr Endocrinol Metab 15:681-7. 2002Because of the association of central diabetes insipidus (CDI) and occult neoplasia, magnetic resonance imaging (MRI) is an important component of the diagnostic evaluation of a child with CDI...
- Neurobrucellosis associated with syndrome of inappropriate antidiuretic hormone with resultant diabetes insipidus and hypothyroidismGiuseppe Sturniolo
Department of Infectious Diseases, G Martino Hospital, University of Messina, Messina, Italy
J Clin Microbiol 48:3806-9. 2010..infection, associated with the syndrome of inappropriate antidiuretic hormone secretion and leading to diabetes insipidus and hypothyroidism...
- Impairment of bone status in patients with central diabetes insipidusR Pivonello
Department of Molecular and Clinical Endocrinology and Oncology, Federico II University, Naples, Italy
J Clin Endocrinol Metab 83:2275-80. 1998..the biochemical parameters of bone metabolism and the bone mineral density (BMD) in patients with central diabetes insipidus, either treated or not treated with endonasal desmopressin...
- Central diabetes insipidus and Cushing's syndrome due to ectopic ACTH production by disseminated small cell lung cancer: a case reportM Castro Cabezas
Department of Internal Medicine and Endocrinology, University Hospital, Utrecht, Netherlands
Neth J Med 53:32-6. 1998The present case report describes the rare clinical presentation of diabetes insipidus in a patient with an ectopic ACTH syndrome (morning plasma cortisol 1...
- A case of IgG4-related multifocal fibrosclerosis complicated by central diabetes insipidusYoshihiro Isaka
Department of Internal Medicine, Osaka City General Hospital, Osaka, Japan
Endocr J 55:723-8. 2008..Endocrinological findings revealed central diabetes insipidus (CDI) with mild anterior pituitary dysfunction...
- Diabetes insipidus, panhypopituitarism, and severe mental status deterioration in a patient with chordoid glioma: case report and literature reviewKristine Dziurzynski
Department of Neurological Surgery, Oregon Health and Science University, Portland, Oregon 97239, USA
Endocr Pract 15:240-5. 2009To describe a rare progressive case of chordoid glioma clinically masquerading as idiopathic diabetes insipidus (DI).
- Benign cephalic histiocytosis with diabetes insipidusW L Weston
Departments of Dermatology and Pediatrics, University of Colorado School of Medicine, and Department of Pathology, Children s Hospital, Denver, Denver, Colorado, USA
Pediatr Dermatol 17:296-8. 2000..We report a 5-year-old girl who presented with diabetes insipidus 1 year after developing multiple small brown asymptomatic skin papules...
- Diabetes insipidus presentation before renal and pulmonary features in a patient with Wegener's granulomatosisNursen Duzgun
Department of Clinical Immunology and Rheumatology, Ankara University School of Medicine, Samanpazari, 06100 Ankara, Turkey
Rheumatol Int 26:80-2. 2005We report a case of a 47-year-old woman with Wegener's granulomatosis complicated by central diabetes insipidus. The patient had initially seronegative polyarthritis which mostly responded well to methotrexate and steroid therapy...
- Atrial natriuretic peptide in patients with the syndrome of inappropriate antidiuretic hormone secretion and with diabetes insipidusK Kamoi
Department of Medicine, Nagaoka Red Cross Hospital, Niigata, Japan
J Clin Endocrinol Metab 70:1385-90. 1990..with the syndrome of inappropriate antidiuretic hormone secretion (SIADH) and in 17 patients with central diabetes insipidus (DI). The mean plasma ANP concentration (30.2 +/- 10...
- Lymphocytic hypophysitis with central diabetes insipidus and consequent panhypopituitarism preceding a multifocal, intracranial germinoma in a prepubertal girlM Bettendorf
Kinderklinik, Universitat Heidelberg, Germany
Eur J Pediatr 158:288-92. 1999We report the clinical course of a prepubertal girl with central diabetes insipidus (DI) and consequent panhypopituitarism evolving over a period of 10 years due to lymphocytic hypophysitis and subsequent germinoma...
- Diabetes insipidus in the head-injured patientJudy C Boughey
Department of Surgery, University of South Carolina, Columbia, South Carolina 29203, USA
Am Surg 70:500-3. 2004b>Diabetes insipidus (DI) is an uncommon but important complication in the head-injured population...
- Dipsogenic diabetes insipidus: report of a novel treatment strategy and literature reviewRobert M Perkins
Department of Medicine Nephrology Service, Walter Reed Army Medical Center, 6900 Georgia Ave NW, Washington, DC 20307 5001, USA
Clin Exp Nephrol 10:63-7. 2006Dipsogenic diabetes insipidus is a syndrome of disordered thirst, in patients without psychiatric disease, which may be confused with partial central diabetes insipidus. Distinguishing these entities involves monitored water testing...
- Predictors of diabetes insipidus after transsphenoidal surgery: a review of 881 patientsEdward C Nemergut
Department of Anesthesiology, University of Virginia Health System, Charlottesville, Virginia 22908, USA
J Neurosurg 103:448-54. 2005b>Diabetes insipidus (DI) is a common complication of transsphenoidal surgery. The purpose of this study was to elucidate patient- and surgery-specific risk factors for DI.
- Molecular identification of the gene responsible for congenital nephrogenic diabetes insipidusW Rosenthal
Department of Cell Biology, Baylor College of Medicine, Houston, Texas 77030
Nature 359:233-5. 1992..In congenital nephrogenic diabetes insipidus (CNDI), an X-linked recessive disorder, the kidney fails to respond to arginine vasopressin...
- Proximal tubular dysfunction associated with tenofovir and didanosine causing Fanconi syndrome and diabetes insipidus: a report of 3 casesJoan M Irizarry-Alvarado
Division of General Internal Medicine, Mayo Clinic, Jacksonville, Florida, USA
AIDS Read 19:114-21. 2009We report 3 cases of patients with HIV/AIDS in whom Fanconi syndrome and nephrogenic diabetes insipidus developed secondary to use of an antiretroviral regimen containing tenofovir disoproxil fumarate and didanosine...
- Diabetes insipidusMohamad Maghnie
Department of Paediatrics, IRCCS Policlinico S Matteo, University of Pavia, Pavia, Italy
Horm Res 59:42-54. 2003b>Diabetes insipidus is a heterogeneous condition characterized by polyuria and polydipsia caused by a lack of secretion of vasopressin, its physiological suppression following excessive water intake, or kidney resistance to its action...
- Generation and phenotype of mice harboring a nonsense mutation in the V2 vasopressin receptor geneJ Yun
Laboratory of Bioorganic Chemistry, National Institute of Diabetes and Digestive and Kidney Diseases, Bethesda, Maryland, USA
J Clin Invest 106:1361-71. 2000..Specifically, we introduced a nonsense mutation known to cause X-linked nephrogenic diabetes insipidus (XNDI) in humans (Glu242stop) into the mouse genome...
- Molecular biology of hereditary diabetes insipidusT Mary Fujiwara
Research Center, Hopital du Sacre Coeur de Montreal, 5400 Boulevard Gouin Ouest, Montreal, Quebec, H4J 1C5 Canada
J Am Soc Nephrol 16:2836-46. 2005..2 [AQP2])-provide the basis for understanding of three different hereditary forms of "pure" diabetes insipidus: Neurohypophyseal diabetes insipidus, X-linked nephrogenic diabetes insipidus (NDI), and non-X-linked NDI, ..
- Diabetes insipidusJoseph G Verbalis
Georgetown University School of Medicine, Washington DC, USA
Rev Endocr Metab Disord 4:177-85. 2003
- Diabetes insipidus and, partially, low anxiety-related behaviour are linked to a SNP-associated vasopressin deficit in LAB miceMelanie S Kessler
Max Planck Institute of Psychiatry, 80804 Munich, Germany
Eur J Neurosci 26:2857-64. 2007..Consequently, in addition to their extreme non-anxiety, LAB mice showed signs of central diabetes insipidus (cDI), including increased fluid intake and reduced urine osmolality, as well as a pathological increase in ..
- Acute diabetes insipidus in severe head injury: a prospective studyPantelis Hadjizacharia
Division of Trauma and Surgical Critical Care, Keck School of Medicine, University of Southern California, Los Angeles, CA, USA
J Am Coll Surg 207:477-84. 2008The incidence and risk factors for acute diabetes insipidus after severe head injury and the effect of this complication on outcomes have not been evaluated in any large prospective studies.
- Cytochrome P-450-dependent metabolism of arachidonic acid in the kidney of rats with diabetes insipidusAlbert Sarkis
Department of Physiology, Medical College of Wisconsin, Milwaukee, 53226, USA
Am J Physiol Renal Physiol 289:F1333-40. 2005....
- Acute leukemia presenting as diabetes insipidus and bilateral exudative retinal detachment--a case reportM T Chen
Department of Ophthalmology, Kaohsiung Medical University, No. 100, Shih-Chuan 1st Road, Kaohsiung 807, Taiwan
Kaohsiung J Med Sci 17:150-5. 2001..an unusual case of leukemia presenting as both bilateral exudative retinal detachment (ERD) and central diabetes insipidus (DI), we evaluate the clinical hematological records including bone marrow aspirations and CSF tapping, both ..
- Clinical insights into adipsic diabetes insipidus: a large case seriesR K Crowley
Academic Department of Endocrinology, Beaumont Hospital RCSI Medical School, Dublin 9, Ireland
Clin Endocrinol (Oxf) 66:475-82. 2007Adipsic diabetes insipidus (DI) causes significant hypernatraemia...
- Diabetes insipidus in a patient with diabetes mellitusK P Paulose
Department of Medicine, SUT Hospital, Trivandrum
J Assoc Physicians India 50:1176-7. 2002The association of Diabetes Mellitus (DM) and Diabetes Insipidus (DI) without any congenital defects is very rare and we report here a case of type 2 diabetes mellitus (NIDDM) whose blood sugar was controlled by insulin, developing ..
- Two unusual causes of pituitary stalk thickening in children without clinical features of diabetes insipidusSavvas Andronikou
Department of Paediatric Neuroradiology, Red Cross War Memorial Children s Hospital and School of Child and Adolescent Health, University of Cape Town, Klipfontein Road, 7700 Rondebosch, Cape Town, South Africa
Pediatr Radiol 33:499-502. 2003..stalk thickening has a wide differential diagnosis, but almost all infundibular diseases present with diabetes insipidus (DI)...
- A case of lymphocytic hypophysitis with masked diabetes insipidus unveiled by glucocorticoid replacementChun Hao Huang
Department of Medicine, Division of Nephrology, Kaohsiung Veterans General Hospital, Kaohsiung, Taiwan
Am J Kidney Dis 45:197-200. 2005..After glucocorticoid replacement, hypernatremia in the presence of dilute urine was found. Central diabetes insipidus (DI) was confirmed later by a significant increase in urine osmolality after vasopressin administration...
- [Diabetes insipidus in a patient with small-cell lung cancer: a paradox?]Fl Schleich
Service Universitaire d Endocrinologie, CHU Sart Tilman, 4000 Liege 1, Belgique
Ann Endocrinol (Paris) 66:355-60. 2005We observed oat-cell lung carcinoma in a man who presented with diabetes insipidus. The chest radiograph showed a suspect nodule within a context of major nicotine addiction...
- Holoprosencephaly and diabetes insipidus in a 3-month-old infantMaria Kourti
Second Department of Pediatrics, Aristotle University of Thessaloniki, Thessaloniki, Greece
J Child Neurol 23:118-20. 2008..Given these findings and the clinical response to vasopressin, diagnosis of central diabetes insipidus was made. Magnetic resonance imaging revealed semilobar holoprosencephaly...
- [Virus encephalitis with symptomatic Parkinson syndrome, diabetes insipidus and panhypopituitarism]G W Ickenstein
Klinik für Neurologie und Neurophysiologie, Klinikum Fulda, Akademisches Lehrkrankenhaus der Philipps Universität Marburg
Fortschr Neurol Psychiatr 67:476-81. 1999..Within seven days, the following symptoms developed: akinetic parkinsonian syndrome, central diabetes insipidus with hypernatremia and polyuria (6 l/die), hypothyreosis, adrenal insufficiency with adynamia, sopor, ..
- Diabetes insipidus in uricase-deficient mice: a model for evaluating therapy with poly(ethylene glycol)-modified uricaseS J Kelly
Division of Rheumatology, Department of Medicine, Duke University School of Medicine, Durham, North Carolina 27710, USA
J Am Soc Nephrol 12:1001-9. 2001..This nephrogenic diabetes insipidus leads to dehydration and death of nursing mice but, with adequate water replacement, high urine flow ..
- Suprasellar tuberculoma presenting with diabetes insipidus and hypothyroidism--a case reportR Jain
Department of Radiodiagnosis, Sanjay Gandhi Postgraduate Institute of Medical Sciences, Lucknow-226014, India
Neurol India 49:314-6. 2001..A case of suprasellar tuberculoma in a five year old male child who presented with diabetes insipidus, hypothyroidism and visual field defect is described...
- Properties of human vasopressin precursor constructs: inefficient monomer folding in the absence of copeptin as a potential contributor to diabetes insipidusChandana Barat
Department of Biochemistry, Weill Medical College of Cornell University, 1300 York Avenue, New York, New York 10021, USA
Biochemistry 43:8191-203. 2004..Reported cell culture studies of rat precursor folding are also discussed in this context. Most generally, the results emphasize the significance of monomer stability in the folding pathways of oligomeric proteins...
- Infundibulohypophysitis in a man presenting with diabetes insipidus and cavernous sinus involvementN Tubridy
National Hospital for Neurology and Neurosurgery, Queen Square, London WC1N 3BG, UK
J Neurol Neurosurg Psychiatry 71:798-801. 2001..Infundibulohypophysitis usually presents with diabetes insipidus and the cause remains unclear...
- A case of nephrogenic diabetes insipidus with a novel missense mutation in the AVPR2 geneAkira Ashida
Department of Pediatrics, Osaka Medical College, 2 7 Daigakumachi Takatsuki shi, Osaka, 569 8686, Japan
Pediatr Nephrol 22:670-3. 2007We describe a pediatric case of nephrogenic diabetes insipidus (NDI) with a novel missense mutation in the arginine vasopressin receptor 2 (AVPR2) gene...
- Studies on syndrome of diabetes insipidus associated with oligosyndactyly in miceA D Stewart
Am J Physiol 217:1191-8. 1969
- Mutations in the V2 vasopressin receptor gene are associated with X-linked nephrogenic diabetes insipidusY Pan
Howard Hughes Medical Institute, University of California, San Francisco 94143
Nat Genet 2:103-6. 1992X-linked nephrogenic diabetes insipidus (NDI) is a rare disorder in which the kidney is insensitive to the antidiuretic hormone, vasopressin...
- Rhabdomyosarcoma with coexistent diabetes insipidus and cerebral salt wasting as postoperative complicationSelim Kurtoglu
Department of Pediatrics, Erciyes University, School of Medicine, Kayseri, Turkey
Pediatr Int 48:79-81. 2006
- Holoprosencephaly presenting as membranous aplasia cutis and diabetes insipidus: report of one caseMi Mi Tiang
Department of Pediatrics, Shin Kong Wu Ho Su Memorial Hospital, Taipei, Taiwan
Acta Paediatr Taiwan 45:181-3. 2004..Herein, we report a 2-month-old male infant who was admitted to our ward due to diabetes insipidus complicated with hypernatremia...
- Localization of the gene for X-linked nephrogenic diabetes insipidus to Xq28M Kambouris
Department of Medical Genetics, Indiana University School of Medicine, Indianapolis 46223
Am J Med Genet 29:239-46. 1988X-linked nephrogenic diabetes insipidus (NDI) was segregating in a large Indiana family. It was tested for linkage of the NDI gene to X-chromosome molecular markers. Maximum lod scores of 3.15 and 3...
- Baroregulation of vasopressin release in adipsic diabetes insipidusD Smith
Department of Endocrinology, Beaumont Hospital, Dublin 9, Republic of Ireland
J Clin Endocrinol Metab 87:4564-8. 2002Adipsic diabetes insipidus (ADI) occurs in association with a heterogeneous group of conditions. We report vasopressin (AVP) responses to hypotension in nine patients with ADI and nine controls...
- Abnormal regulation of thirst and vasopressin secretion following surgery for craniopharyngiomaD Smith
Academic Department of Endocrinology, Beaumont Hospital, Dublin, Republic of Ireland
Clin Endocrinol (Oxf) 61:273-9. 2004In this study we aimed to establish the frequency of postoperative diabetes insipidus and the incidence and characteristics of abnormalities of thirst in a cohort of patients with craniopharyngioma, in whom neurosurgery had been performed.
- The clinical, metabolic and endocrine features and the quality of life in adults with childhood-onset craniopharyngioma compared with adult-onset craniopharyngiomaPat Kendall-Taylor
University of Newcastle, UK
Eur J Endocrinol 152:557-67. 2005..Craniopharyngioma is a parasellar tumour that, although benign, tends to behave aggressively. It can occur at any age but most commonly presents in childhood or adolescence...
- Resident and fellow section. Expert opinion: trigeminal autonomic cephalgia post transsphenoidal surgeryMatthew Kozminski
Madigan Army Medical Center, Tacoma, WA 98431, USA
Headache 48:658-9; discussion 659-60. 2008
- [MRI imaging of the neural pituitary]V Antoine
Service de Neuroradiologie, CHU de Nancy, Hopitaux de Brabois, rue du Morvan, 54500 Vandoeuvre les Nancy, France
Ann Endocrinol (Paris) 69:181-92. 2008The main illness of the neural pituitary is diabetes insipidus (DI)...
- [Pathology of the pituitary stalk and diabetes insipidis]Ph Chanson
Service d endocrinologie et des maladies de la reproduction, Hopital Bicetre, 78 rue du General Leclerc, 94275 Le Kremlin Bicetre
Ann Endocrinol (Paris) 66:50-4. 2005
- Granulomatous hypophysistis associated with rathke's cleft cyst: a case reportM Murakami
Department of Neurosurgery, Tokyo Medical University, Hachioji Medical Center, Tokyo, Japan
Minim Invasive Neurosurg 51:169-72. 2008..The value of surgical intervention in the management of hypophysitis remains controversial...
- Keyhole surgery for isolated pituitary stalk metastatic tumors: a case report and review of the literatureE Y Lin
Department of Neurological Surgery, Tri Service General Hospital, National Defense Medical Center, 325 Section 2 Cheng Kung Road, Neihu 114, Taipei, Taiwan, ROC
Minim Invasive Neurosurg 51:222-4. 2008..This is the first case report using keyhole surgery to confirm the pathology and improve the clinical symptoms. The relevant literature is also reviewed...
- Diabetes insipidus: historical aspectsJorgen Lindholm
Department of Medicine, Division of Endocrinology, Holstebro Hospital, 7500 Holstebro, Denmark
Pituitary 7:33-8. 2004The contributions to our present knowledge and understanding of diabetes insipidus are briefly surveyed. Though a disease presenting with polyuria and thirst had been recognized since Antiquity, it was not until the 17...
- [Hypogonadism despite of normal testosterone levels]J Bauditz
Medizinische Klinik und Poliklinik, Universitätsklinikum Charité Campus Mitte, Berlin
Internist (Berl) 46:334-40. 2005..The patient was treated by combined radiochemotherapy and is in remission since 7 years...
- [Lymphocytic hypophysitis and hypothalamitis-case report]Maria Stelmachowska
Department of Endocrinology and Metabolism, Karol Marcinkowski of Medical Science, Poznan
Endokrynol Pol 57:648-53. 2006..We present a case of 69 year-old female patient who developed the symptoms of diabetes insipidus and partial insufficiency of the anterior pituitary gland...
- [Central diabetes insipidus as a first manifestation of lung adenocarcinoma]A Granata
U O di Nefrologia e Dialisi, A O Vittorio Emanuele Hospital, Italia
Clin Ter 158:519-22. 2007..The posterior lobe involvement may explain why patients with pituitary metastases frequently present with diabetes insipidus. We are presenting a case report of a 48-year-old male patient with sudden onset of polyuria and persistent ..
- Salivary gland-like tumor of the sellaWouter van Furth
Can J Neurol Sci 34:478-82. 2007
- Hypophysitis associated with a ruptured Rathke's cleft cyst in a woman, during pregnancyE Sonnet
Service of Endocrinology, CHU Brest, 29609 Brest, France
J Endocrinol Invest 29:353-7. 2006..She was admitted one month later with headaches and vomiting. Panhypopituitarism with diabetes insipidus was diagnosed...
- The second case of de novo intracranial germinoma association with Klinefelter's syndromePrasit Phowthongkum
Surg Neurol 66:332; author reply 332. 2006
- Suprasellar and intrasellar paragangliomasS G Voulgaris
University of Ioannina Medical School, Regional University Hospital of Ioannina, Department of Neurosurgery, Ioannina 45110, Greece
Clin Neuropathol 25:221-6. 2006..The clinical management, the possible pathogenesis of the tumor, the importance of immunohistochemistry in making the diagnosis and the clinical outcome of these patients are discussed...
- [MRI pituitary stalk abnormalities: etiology aspects in 11 patients]L Trabelsi
Service d endocrinologie, CHU Hedi Chaker, Sfax, 3029 Tunisia
Ann Endocrinol (Paris) 67:604-12. 2006..women (33%), mean age of 28 year (range: 15 to 53) in whom pituitary MRI was performed for hypopituitarism, diabetes insipidus or hyperprolactinemia. Three patients had brain MRI for an extra-pituitary condition...
- [Pituitary tuberculosis: a case report]L Trabelsi
Service d endocrinologie, CHU Hedi Chaker, Sfax, Tunisie
Ann Endocrinol (Paris) 66:340-6. 2005Through a case of sellar and suprasellar tuberculoma which presented with central diabetes insipidus, the authors report the frequency of pituitary tuberculoma, its physiopathology, clinical presentation hormonal and radiological findings ..
- Intracranial aggressive fibromatosis presenting as panhypopituitarism and diabetes insipidusA Gursoy
Department of Endocrinology and Metabolism Diseases, Baskent University Faculty of Medicine, Ankara, Turkey
Pituitary 8:123-6. 2005..a case of a 34 year-old male with AF involving intracranial structures causing panhypopituitarism and diabetes insipidus. Patient was admitted to hospital because of polyuria, polydipsia, and loss of libido, impotence, hearing ..
- DDAVP use in patients undergoing transsphenoidal surgery for pituitary adenomasJ M Sheehan
Department of Neurosurgery, Penn State University College of Medicine Hershey Medical Center, Hershey, Pennsylvania 17033, USA
Acta Neurochir (Wien) 148:287-91; discussion 291. 2006Disorders of fluid and sodium regulation, often termed "diabetes insipidus," are a frequent occurrence following surgery for pituitary adenomas...
- Spontaneous pregnancy after trans-sphenoidal surgery in a patient with lymphocytic hypophysitisHaroon Siddique
Clin Endocrinol (Oxf) 66:454-5. 2007
- Impact of primary surgery on pituitary function in patients with non-functioning pituitary adenomas -- a study on 721 patientsP Nomikos
Department of Neurosurgery, University of Erlangen Nurnberg, Erlangen, Germany
Acta Neurochir (Wien) 146:27-35. 2004..The aim of this study was to define the impact of surgery on pituitary function in a large consecutive series of patients harbouring non-functioning pituitary adenomas...
- Remission of congenital diabetes insipidus after eight yearsHarvey K Chiu
Department of Pediatrics, Division of Endocrinology, Children s Hospital and Regional Medical Center, University of Washington, Seattle, WA 98105, USA
J Pediatr Endocrinol Metab 20:733-7. 2007..This is the first report of a patient with SOD with spontaneous resolution of congenital DI...
- [Lymphocytic hypophysitis: a report of 3 cases]Zhao Hui Lu
Department of Endocrinology, Chinese PLA General Hospital, Beijing 100853, China
Zhonghua Nei Ke Za Zhi 44:446-9. 2005..Lymphocytic hypophysitis is a rare inflammatory lesion of pituitary gland. To enhance the knowledge of lymphocytic hypophysitis, herein we reported 3 cases of lymphocytic hypophysitis and reviewed the literature...
- [Long-term follow-up of patients with suprasellar germinomas]Juergen Bauditz
Medizinische Klinik und Poliklinik mit Schwerpunkt Gastroenterologie, Hepatologie und Endokrinologie, Universitatsklinikum Charite, Campus Mitte, Chariteplatz 1, 10117, Berlin
Med Klin (Munich) 102:803-8. 2007..Suprasellar germinomas are rare intracranial neoplasms, which mainly occur in children and adolescents and manifest with endocrine symptoms and/or compression syndromes...
- Diabetes insipidus caused by isolated intracranial metatstases in patient with breast cancerDmitri Bobilev
Department of Oncology, Soroka University Medical Center, P O Box 151, Beer Sheva, 84101, Israel
J Neurooncol 73:39-42. 2005We present a case of late recurrence of breast cancer manifested with diabetes insipidus caused by isolated intracranial metastases...
- MOUSE MODEL FOR DISEASES OF PROTEIN MISFOLDINGP Michael Conn; Fiscal Year: 2012..which may benefit from this approach) include cystic fibrosis, hypogonadotropic hypogonadism, nephrogenic diabetes insipidus, retinitis pigmentosa, hypercholesterolemia, cataracts, neurodegenerative diseases (Huntington's, ..
- Characterization of the ER associated Biogenesis and Degradation of ENaCTeresa M Buck; Fiscal Year: 2013..relevant proteins can also become ERAD substrates, including CFTR (cystic fibrosis), AQP2 (nephrogenic diabetes insipidus), and Pael-R (Parkinson's disease)...
- Aquaporin-2 (AQP2) Regulation by AMP-activated kinase(AMPK) in the Kidney CollecMohammad Al-Bataineh; Fiscal Year: 2012..Indeed, research on AQP2 regulation has shed light on the pathogenesis of diseases such as nephrogenic diabetes insipidus (NDI), SIADH and heart failure...
- Molecular and Cellular Regulation of Mammalian Renal Medulla DevelopmentJing Yu; Fiscal Year: 2013..Disorders in water and salt balance cause hyponatremia, hypernatremia and nephrogenic diabetes insipidus. Renal medulla atrophy is a prominent symptom of hydronephrosis, a common condition occurs in approximately ..
- ELECTROPHYSIOLOGICAL CORRELATES OF VASOPRESSIN RELEASEWilliam E Armstrong; Fiscal Year: 2011..Dysregulation of VP factors into a range of diseases, from diabetes insipidus and hypernatremia (VP deficiency) to hypertension (excessive release)...
- TRACKING NEURODEGENERATION IN EARLY WOLFRAM SYNDROMETAMARA G HERSHEY; Fiscal Year: 2013..is characterized by insulin-dependent diabetes, followed by optic nerve atrophy, vision loss, hearing loss, diabetes insipidus and neurodegeneration, resulting in death in middle adulthood, typically due to brainstem atrophy-induced ..
- Using zebrafish to define a novel role for AQP2 in kidney tubulogenesisHUA A LU; Fiscal Year: 2010..of AQP2 T126M, a mutation causing ER retention of AQP2, showed a urinary concentrating defect (nephrogenic diabetes insipidus, NDI), and unexpectedly, neonatal mortality from renal failure...
- Characterization of AQP2 interacting proteins and novel functions of AQP2HUA A LU; Fiscal Year: 2010..in fluid retention seen in congestive heart failure, cirrhosis, as well as concentrating defect seen in diabetes insipidus. AQP2 is regulated through complex trafficking pathways which have not been well characterized...
- Novel role of AQP2 in cell migration and kidney tubular injury and repairHUA A LU; Fiscal Year: 2013..of severe tubular defects, renal failure and neonatal mortality in addition to the expected polyuria/diabetes insipidus (DI)...
- The role of vasopressin in the social deficits of autismKaren J Parker; Fiscal Year: 2013..social cognition and memory in neurotypical individuals, and has been used safely for years to treat diabetes insipidus and nocturnal enuresis, no studies have tested the effects of AVP treatment on social functioning in ..
- Role of Notch signaling in the Development and Guidance of Hypothalamic NeuronsPAVEN AUJLA; Fiscal Year: 2013..EPP patients can also develop central diabetes insipidus (DI), caused by AVP deficiency...
- Potential Therapeutic Applications of Ecto-Nucleotidases in Lithium-induced NDIBellamkonda K Kishore; Fiscal Year: 2010..However, a significant side effect of Li therapy is nephrogenic diabetes insipidus (NDI)...
- X-linked recessive familial neuro-hypophyseal diabetes insipidusPETER ANDREAS KOPP; Fiscal Year: 2010Abstract Patients with diabetes insipidus (DI) present with persistent thirst, polydipsia, and hypotonic polyuria...
- EnaC regulation in the kidney by vesicle trafficking and recyclingMichael B Butterworth; Fiscal Year: 2010..in ion and water regulation in the kidney have been associated with numerous diseases including, nephrogenic diabetes insipidus, hypertension, Bartter syndrome, Gitelman syndrome, pseudo-hypoaldosteronism type 1 and Liddle syndrome...
- EnaC regulation in the kidney by vesicle trafficking and recyclingMichael B Butterworth; Fiscal Year: 2012..in ion and water regulation in the kidney have been associated with numerous diseases including, nephrogenic diabetes insipidus, hypertension, Bartter syndrome, Gitelman syndrome, pseudohypoaldosteronism type 1 and Liddle syndrome...
- Targeting Renal Purinergic Signaling for the Treatment of Lithium-induced NDIBellamkonda K Kishore; Fiscal Year: 2013DESCRIPTION (provided by applicant): 6. Project Summary/Abstract Nephrogenic diabetes insipidus (NDI) due to lithium therapy for bipolar disorder is one of the major nephrological problems among Veterans...
- Mechanisms of Polyptopic Protein Biogenesis in the ERWilliam R Skach; Fiscal Year: 2013..In addition, inherited point mutations in AQP2 disrupt folding and thereby cause nephrogenic diabetes insipidus (NDI), a life threatening disease of impaired urinary concentration...
- Phosphodiesterases in Lithium-Induced Nephrogenic Diabetes InsipidusMitsi A Blount; Fiscal Year: 2012DESCRIPTION (provided by applicant): Nephrogenic diabetes insipidus (NDI) is characterized by the inability of the kidney to concentrate urine in the presence of the antidiuretic hormone, vasopressin, thereby leading to excessive volumes ..
- Regulation of Urea Transport by PKC-alphaJeff M Sands; Fiscal Year: 2013..mechanisms for increasing urea transport, which in turn would increase urine concentrating ability, could form the basis for future translational studies of novel therapeutic approaches to congenital nephrogenic diabetes insipidus.
- High Throughput Screening Assay Development for PharmacoperonesP Michael Conn; Fiscal Year: 2012..The products of the proposed HTS assays will be useful for treatment of two rare diseases, nephrogenic diabetes insipidus and hypogonadotropic hypogonadism, each caused by an inborn error...
- High Throughput Screening for Pharmacoperones of the V2 ReceptorPETER SIMMONS HODDER; Fiscal Year: 2013..compounds and will identify therapeutic molecules for the treatment of misrouting of the V2R in nephrogenic diabetes insipidus, a rare and debilitating disease for which there are presently no effective drug treatments...
- Protein Misprocessing in Krabbe DiseaseChristopher Eckman; Fiscal Year: 2007..be misprocessed and subsequently degraded, similar to other misfolded protein disorders such as nephrogenic diabetes insipidus, primary hyperoxaluria type 1, congenital nephrotic syndrome, and other lysosomal storage diseases such as ..
- Rab11-FIPs interact to define distinct functional nodes in the recycling systemJENNY SCHAFER; Fiscal Year: 2011..Aberrant processing or transport of cell surface proteins contributes to diseases such as diabetes insipidus, cystic fibrosis, and Alzheimer's disease...
- SIGNAL PEPTIDASE STRUCTURE AND FUNCTIONMARK LIVELY; Fiscal Year: 1999..that have been described that result in hemophilia (coagulation factor X), familial neurohypophyseal diabetes insipidus (vasopressin), and a form of familial hypoparathyroidism (parathyroid hormone)...
- MOLECULAR DISSECTION OF CONGENITAL NEPHROGENIC DIROBERT WILDIN; Fiscal Year: 2000Congenital nephrogenic diabetes insipidus (CNDI) is an inherited X-linked disorder of water homeostasis...
- RENAL FUNCTION IN PROTEIN DEFICIENCYMANUEL MARTINEZ MALDONADO; Fiscal Year: 1990..Balance, clearance and micropuncture studies (Munich-Wistar) will be done in intact, diabetes insipidus (Brattleboro) and parathyroidectomized rats...
- VASOPRESSIN-CRF-ACTH INTERACTIONS IN CONSCIOUS STATEHershel Raff; Fiscal Year: 1990..with continuous vasopressin replacement, and in neurohypophsectomized dogs without vasopressin replacement (diabetes insipidus)...
- MECHANISMS FOR GPCR TRAFFICKING IN POLARIZED CELLSLEE LIMBIRD; Fiscal Year: 2004..MDCK II cells and the point(s) at which varying alleles of the V2R that contribute to X-Iinked nephrogenic diabetes insipidus (NDI) are interrupted in their direct delivery to the basolateral surface, and the cell surface "rescue" of ..
- AQUAPORIN-2 EXCRETION IN DISORDERS OF WATER BALANCEMelissa Cadnapaphornchai; Fiscal Year: 2004..and in patients with congestive heart failure, cirrhosis, nephrotic syndrome, and acquired nephrogenic diabetes insipidus due to lithium therapy or autosomal dominant polycystic kidney disease...
- Vasopressin Cytotoxicity in Inherited Diabetes InsipidusDAVID COOL; Fiscal Year: 2005..of this study is to investigate the molecular basis for the neuroendocrine disease familial neurohypophyseal diabetes insipidus (FNDI)...
- RGS PROTEINS AND PROTEIN TRAFFICKINGHERBERT LIN; Fiscal Year: 2003..and polycystic kidney disease as well as vasopressin regulation of renal water reabsorption during diabetes insipidus and the syndrome of inappropriate secretion of antidiuretic hormone...
- MECHANISMS UNDERLYING NEPHROGENIC DIABETES INSIPIDUSIsaac Teitelbaum; Fiscal Year: 1990..biochemical mechanisms of renal resistance to vasopressin (AVP) in two settings associated with nephrogenic diabetes insipidus (NDI): administration of pharmacologic agents (lithium and demeclocycline) that are known to cause a renal ..
- NEURAL AND HUMORAL CONTROL OF ENDOCRINE FUNCTIONIan Reid; Fiscal Year: 1992..The support requested is for fundamental research, but all the projects are more or less directly related to hypertension, heart failure, diabetes insipidus, and various other cardiovascular and endocrine diseases.
- X RAY CRYSTALLOGRAPHY OF HUMAN AQUAPORIN WATER CHANNELSMichael Wiener; Fiscal Year: 2001..Mutations in one aquaporin, aquaporin-2, are responsible for nephrogenic diabetes insipidus. Others are implicated in the maintenance of water homeostasis in erythrocytes, kidney, lung, brain and ..
- Aquaporins in Drosophila melanogasterNancy Kaufmann; Fiscal Year: 2005..This work is relevant not only to studies of mammalian renal function and Diabetes insipidus, but it will also help us understand insect water excretion, a prime target for controlling mosquito ..
- INTERACTIONS OF PROTEINSEsther Breslow; Fiscal Year: 2005..The function of copeptin is unknown. Familial neurogenic diabetes insipidus (FNDl) is a neurodegenerative disease typically caused by mutations in neurophysin...
- INHERITED HYPOTHALAMIC NEURODEGENERATIONDavid Repaske; Fiscal Year: 2001Autosomal dominant neurohypophyseal diabetes insipidus (ADNDI) is an inherited endocrine disorder caused by a progressive and specific degeneration of the magnocellular neurons that produce the hormone, vasopressin...
- Role of TRP Channels on Collecting Duct Calcium DynamicsROGER O NEIL; Fiscal Year: 2009..g., hyponatremia, diabetes insipidus, diabetes mellitus, diuretic administration), which will contribute to hypocaliuric and/or hypercaliuric ..
- PATHOPHYSIOLOGY OF THE BLOOD-OCULAR BARRIERRichard Brubaker; Fiscal Year: 1999..Studies of normal eyes and a number of clinical disorders including cystic fibrosis, diabetes insipidus, glaucoma, diabetes mellitus, central retinal vein occlusion, and uveitis will be made to characterize the ..
- A HIGH THROUGHPUT ASSAY FOR PHARMACOLOGICAL CHAPERONESRon Kopito; Fiscal Year: 2005..of this assay with two model substrate, the G-protein coupled V2 vasopressin receptor, mutations in which are linked to nephrogenic diabetes insipidus and the cystic fibrosis transmembrane conductance regulator.
- HYPOTHALAMIC RECONSTRUCTION USING NEURAL PRECURSOR CELLSWILLIAM SCHWARTZ; Fiscal Year: 2003..vasopressin (AVP)-secreting neurons that regulate water balance, a function that is lost in mice with diabetes insipidus bearing a null mutation of the AVP gene. We will transplant a prototypic neural precursor cell line (C17...
- Membrane Trafficking Regulation of Dopamine ReceptorsGABRIEL VARGAS; Fiscal Year: 2006..have been implicated in the pathophysiology of several different disorders such as retinitis pigrnentosa, diabetes insipidus, and schizophrenia...
- Molecular Basis for Transmembrane Conduction & SignalingRobert Stroud; Fiscal Year: 2006..Mutations in AQP2 that are the source of diabetes insipidus are to be grafted into GIpF to define their effects on channel properties versus trafficking...
- APPLICATION OF NOVEL OPTICAL METHODS TO CELL DYNAMICSAlan Verkman; Fiscal Year: 2006..abstract_text> ..
- PHYSIOLOGY AND MOLECULAR BIOLOGY OF LUNG WATER TRANSPORTAlan Verkman; Fiscal Year: 2007..abstract_text> ..
- Role of airway submucosal glands in CF lung diseaseAlan S Verkman; Fiscal Year: 2010..The data will provide a rigorous scientific rationale for use of small-molecules in CF therapy, and establish widely useful assays to prioritize small molecules for clinical development. ..
- PHYSIOLOGICAL ADAPTATION TO SUSTAINED HYPO-OSMOLALITYJoseph Verbalis; Fiscal Year: 2002..These studies should lead to an elucidation of the cellular mechanisms underlying one of the most basic and intriguing unanswered question about clinically hyponatremic disorders. ..
- MECHANISMS OF WATER TRANSPORT IN RENAL EPITHELIAAlan Verkman; Fiscal Year: 2008..believed to have a key role in the urinary concentrating mechanism and the pathophysiology of Nephrogenic Diabetes Insipidus (NDI)...
- HYPONATREMIA-INDUCED OSTEOPOROSISJoseph G Verbalis; Fiscal Year: 2010....
- APPLICATION OF NOVEL OPTICAL METHODS TO CELL DYNAMICSAlan Verkman; Fiscal Year: 2001..These studies will address the hypothesis that the membrane skeleton of these cells is a mobile, dynamic structure. ..
- BRAIN OXYTOCIN AND ETHANOL EFFECT ON INGESTIVE BEHAVIORJoseph Verbalis; Fiscal Year: 2001....
- GEORGETOWN UNIVERSITY-MEDSTAR CENTER FOR CLINICAL AND TRANSLATIONAL SCIENCEJoseph Verbalis; Fiscal Year: 2006..The planning process will be led by a committee of faculty members who are leaders in translational research and clinical research training at the member institutions. [unreadable] [unreadable] [unreadable]..
- P2U(P2Y2)-PURINOCEPTOR AND WATER TRANSPORT IN RAT KIDNEYBELLAMKONDA KISHORE; Fiscal Year: 2004..Successful completion of these studies will lead to significant insights into the AVP-independent mechanisms of regulation of collecting duct water permeability. ..
- A1-ADENOSINE RECEPTOR ACTION IN HIPPOCAMPUSScott Rivkees; Fiscal Year: 2003..We anticipate these studies will lead to new insights into the mechanisms of A1AR action. We also anticipate that these studies will identify A1ARs as an important regulator of axon growth. ..
- CB1 Receptor Action on the Developing HippocampusScott Rivkees; Fiscal Year: 2005..We anticipate that these studies will result in new insights into the potential effects of cannabinoid action on the developing brain. ..
- An MMi CellCut Laser Mircrodissection SystemDennis Brown; Fiscal Year: 2006..access and expertise to the MGH research community will be an important part of our mission and bridges the gap between pure microscopy studies and functional genomics that take advantage [unreadable] [unreadable] [unreadable]..
- Adenosinergic Mechanisms of Intrauterine Growth RetardationScott A Rivkees; Fiscal Year: 2010..The goals of this proposal are to identify the mechanisms by which adenosine acts to protect the embryo in utero and how altered embryonic adenosine action leads to long-term adverse effects in adulthood. ..
- Anti-Adenosine Therapy of Neonatal Brain InjuryScott Rivkees; Fiscal Year: 2007..It is anticipated that these studies will lead to novel and practical strategies for directly preventing brain injury. [unreadable] [unreadable]..
- Specificity of Calcineurin Signaling in the KidneyJENNIFER GOOCH; Fiscal Year: 2007..The goal of these experiments is to distinguish mechanisms of calcineurin-mediated regulation of ECM in glomeruli from calcineurin action that contributes to CsA-nephrotoxicity. ..