Genomes and Genes
Summary: Disorders involving either the ADENOHYPOPHYSIS or the NEUROHYPOPHYSIS. These diseases usually manifest as hypersecretion or hyposecretion of PITUITARY HORMONES. Neoplastic pituitary masses can also cause compression of the OPTIC CHIASM and other adjacent structures.
Publications247 found, 100 shown here
- Pituitary stalk dysgenesis-induced hypopituitarism in adult patients: prevalence, evolution of hormone dysfunction and genetic analysisEva Fernandez-Rodriguez
Endocrinology Division, Complejo Hospitalario Universitario de Santiago de Compostela, SERGAS, Departamento de Medicina, Universidad de Santiago de Compostela, Spain
Neuroendocrinology 93:181-8. 2011....
- Neurocognitive function in adults with growth hormone deficiencyP Sytze van Dam
Department of Internal Medicine, Onze Lieve Vrouwe Gasthuis, Amsterdam, The Netherlands
Horm Res 64:109-14. 2005....
- Autoimmune hypophysitisPatrizio Caturegli
Johns Hopkins Pathology, Ross 656, 720 Rutland Avenue, Baltimore, MD 21205, USA
Endocr Rev 26:599-614. 2005..The present review synthesizes the clinical and research data reported in this body of scientific literature...
- Endoscopic endonasal transsphenoidal surgery. Before scrubbing in: tips and tricksLuigi M Cavallo
Division of Neurosurgery, Department of Neurological Sciences, Universita degli Studi di Napoli Federico II, 80131 Naples, Italy
Surg Neurol 67:342-7. 2007....
- Lymphocytic hypophysitis in the pediatric populationVerena Gellner
Department of Neurosurgery, Medical University, Auenbruggerplatz 29, 8036, Graz, Austria
Childs Nerv Syst 24:785-92. 2008..An autoimmune pathogenesis is suggested. Symptoms comprise anterior and/or posterior pituitary insufficiency of varying degrees. So far, specific characteristics of this rare disease in childhood are not well described...
- Lymphocytic hypophysitis with central diabetes insipidus and subsequent hypopituitarism masking a suprasellar germinoma in a 13-year-old girlYoko Mikami-Terao
Department of Pediatrics, Jikei University School of Medicine, 3 25 8 Nishi shinbashi, Minato ku, Tokyo, 105 8461, Japan
Childs Nerv Syst 22:1338-43. 2006..Despite prednisolone therapy, 1 year later an enlarged, irregular cystic mass lesion had developed; in the pituitary stalk and inferior hypothalamus, a endoscopic biopsy revealed germinoma...
- An intrasellar germinoma with normal cerebrospinal fluid beta-HCG concentrations misdiagnosed as hypophysitisNese Ozbey
Department of Internal Medicine, Division of Endocrinology, Istanbul University, Istanbul Medical Faculty, Istanbul, Turkey
Hormones (Athens) 5:67-71. 2006..Histopathological examination is essential in equivocal cases in order to reach accurate diagnosis and apply the most appropriate therapy...
- The spectrum and significance of primary hypophysitisC C Cheung
The Freeman Center for Endocrine Oncology, Mount Sinai Hospital, Department of Pathology, University of Toronto, Toronto, Ontario M5G 1X5, Canada
J Clin Endocrinol Metab 86:1048-53. 2001..Histological confirmation of the diagnosis of hypophysitis can be obtained by performing a biopsy or by requesting an intraoperative frozen section consultation...
- Pituitary autoimmunity: 30 years laterPatrizio Caturegli
Department of Pathology, The Johns Hopkins University School of Medicine, Baltimore, MD 21205, United States
Autoimmun Rev 7:631-7. 2008..This review summarizes the advances made in the field since the publication of the first review on pituitary autoimmunity, and the challenges that await clarification...
- Granulomatous hypophysitis--an interesting and rare cause mimicking pituitary massM M Mehndiratta
Department of Neurology, G B Pant Hospital, New Delhi 110002, India
J Assoc Physicians India 55:653-4. 2007..The usual clinical presentation is that of an expanding mass lesion with varying degree of hypopituitarism. This patient described presented to us with severe headache along with panhypopituitarism and post-operative diabetes insipidus...
- [Pituitary germinoma and lymphocytic hypophysitis: a pitfall. Report of two cases]Laurence Houdouin
Service d Anatomie et de Cytologie Pathologiques, Hopital Lariboisiere, 2 rue Ambroise Pare, 75475 Paris Cedex 10
Ann Pathol 23:349-54. 2003....
- Novel autoantigens in autoimmune hypophysitisIsabella Lupi
Department of Pathology, The Johns Hopkins University, School of Medicine, Baltimore, MD 21205, USA
Clin Endocrinol (Oxf) 69:269-78. 2008..The methods used for their detection lack adequate sensitivity and specificity, mainly because the pathogenic pituitary autoantigen(s) are not known and therefore antigen-based immunoassays have not been developed...
- Lymphocytic hypophysitis with central diabetes insipidus and consequent panhypopituitarism preceding a multifocal, intracranial germinoma in a prepubertal girlM Bettendorf
Kinderklinik, Universitat Heidelberg, Germany
Eur J Pediatr 158:288-92. 1999..However, the subsequent MRI showed multiple intracranial lesions identified histologically as a germinoma and a standard chemotherapy and radiation was performed...
- Neurohypophyseal germinoma histologically misidentified as granulomatous hypophysitisT Endo
Department of Neurosurgery, Tohoku University Graduate School of Medicine, Sendai, Japan
Acta Neurochir (Wien) 144:1233-7. 2002..We must consider the possibility of neurohypophyseal germinoma in patients with granulomatous hypophysitis which does not respond to corticosteroid therapy, and perform re-exploration for more specimens to achieve the correct diagnosis...
- Endoscopic endonasal transsphenoidal surgeryE de Divitiis
Department of Neurological Surgery, Federico II University, Naples, Italy
Adv Tech Stand Neurosurg 27:137-77. 2002
- Long-term evolution of endocrine disorders and effect of GH therapy in 35 patients with pituitary stalk interruption syndromeMaithe Tauber
Division of Endocrinology, Genetics, Gynecology and Bone Diseases, Hopital des Enfants, Toulouse, France
Horm Res 64:266-73. 2005..002). GH treatment is very effective: in 13 patients, final height was -0.4 +/- 1.0, total height gain 3.2 +/- 1.2 and distance to target height -0.3 +/- 1.6 SDS...
- Anterior pituitary function may predict functional and cognitive outcome in patients with traumatic brain injury undergoing rehabilitationMarta Bondanelli
Section of Endocrinology, Department of Biomedical Sciences and Advanced Therapies, University of Ferrara, Ferrara, Italy
J Neurotrauma 24:1687-97. 2007..The GH peak value is an independent predictor of outcome, indicating that recovery during an intensive rehabilitation program after TBI may be positively influenced by normal GH secretion...
- An audit of 500 subcutaneous glucagon stimulation tests to assess growth hormone and ACTH secretion in patients with hypothalamic-pituitary diseaseK S Leong
Diabetes Centre, Whiston Hospital, Warrington Road, Prescot, Merseyside L35 5DR, UK
Clin Endocrinol (Oxf) 54:463-8. 2001..The 240 minute sample added little additional information and could be omitted...
- Idiopathic granulomatous hypophysitisVictoria Stott
Department of Endocrinology, Dunedin Hospital, Dunedin, New Zealand
N Z Med J 118:U1355. 2005
- Immunopathology of primary hypophysitis: implications for pathogenesisA Gutenberg
Department Neuropathology, Georg August University, Gottingen, Germany
Am J Surg Pathol 29:329-38. 2005....
- [Expressive level of vascular endothelial growth factor in peripheral blood in patients with pituitary adenomas]Yan Guo Kong
Laboratory of Neurosurgery, PUMC Hospital, CAMS and PUMC, Beijing 100730, China
Zhongguo Yi Xue Ke Xue Yuan Xue Bao 26:164-7. 2004..To discuss whether vascular endothelial growth factor (VEGF) in the peripheral blood can reflect the biological activities of pituitary adenomas...
- Primary hypophysitis: a single-center experience in 16 casesGilberto K K Leung
Department of Neurological Surgery, University of Virginia Health System, Charlottesville, Virginia 22908, USA
J Neurosurg 101:262-71. 2004..The authors review their experience in the treatment of 16 patients with primary hypophysitis...
- Pituitary duplication or suprasellar encephalocele?Fabrice Bonneville
AJR Am J Roentgenol 190:W77; author reply W78. 2008
- Xanthogranulomatous hypophysitis mimicking a pituitary neoplasmShunichi Yokoyama
Division of Neurosurgery, Nanpuh Hospital, Kagoshima, Japan
Endocr Pathol 15:351-7. 2004..We have described an unusual inflammatory lesion of the pituitary in the sellar region that was mimicking neoplasm. A high level of clinical suspicion of inflammatory disorders is necessary for correct diagnosis and optimal management...
- Granulomatous hypophysitis with psammoma bodies: a diagnostic dilemmaR Jastania
Department of Laboratory Medicine and Pathobiology, University of Toronto, University Health Network and Toronto Medical Laboratories, Canada
Endocr Pathol 15:359-63. 2004..This finding has not previously been described in the literature. The diagnostic implications of this finding are complex, and the pathogenesis of psammoma body formation in this idiopathic disorder remains unknown...
- Distortion of normal pituitary structures in sellar pathologies on MRIBurak Sade
Division of Neurosurgery, Sir Mortimer B Davis Jewish General Hospital, McGill University, Montreal, Quebec, Canada
Can J Neurol Sci 31:467-73. 2004....
- Sequential pituitary MR imaging in Sheehan syndrome: report of 2 casesJ Kaplun
Department of Medicine, Beth Israel Medical Center, University Hospital and Manhattan Campus for the Albert Einstein College of Medicine, New York, NY, USA
AJNR Am J Neuroradiol 29:941-3. 2008..Sequential MR imaging demonstrated evidence of ischemic infarct in the pituitary gland with enlargement followed by gradual shrinkage during several months, to pituitary atrophy...
- Sellar lesion: not always a pituitary adenomaShalinee Rao
Department of Pathology, Sri Ramachandra Medical College and Research Institute, Chennai, Tamil Nadu, India
Indian J Pathol Microbiol 51:269-70. 2008....
- Granulomatous hypophysistis associated with rathke's cleft cyst: a case reportM Murakami
Department of Neurosurgery, Tokyo Medical University, Hachioji Medical Center, Tokyo, Japan
Minim Invasive Neurosurg 51:169-72. 2008..The value of surgical intervention in the management of hypophysitis remains controversial...
- Resident and fellow section. Expert opinion: trigeminal autonomic cephalgia post transsphenoidal surgeryMatthew Kozminski
Madigan Army Medical Center, Tacoma, WA 98431, USA
Headache 48:658-9; discussion 659-60. 2008
- Neuroimaging for the pediatric endocrinologistBradley N Delman
Department of Radiology, Mount Sinai Medical Center, One Gustave L Levy Place, Box 1234, New York, NY 10029, USA
Pediatr Endocrinol Rev 5:708-19. 2008..Because of the association of pituitary endocrinopathies with midline anomalies, one should pay careful attention to midline structures included on a sellar survey...
- Problems in differential diagnosis of non Langerhans cell histiocytosis with pituitary involvement: case report and review of literatureRene Mahnel
Deutsche Klinik für Diagnostik Wiesbaden, Departments of Endocrinology Diabetology and Dermatology, Wiesbaden, Germany
Endocr Pathol 13:361-8. 2002..Differential diagnosis in the current patient should include the possibility of Erdheim-Chester disease, necrobiotic xanthogranuloma, and adult disseminated xanthoma...
- A case of lymphocytic hypophysitis presenting as a pituitary macroadenomaD Kannappan
Derbyshire Royal Infirmary, Derby, UK
Horm Res 68:202-3. 2007
- Impact of primary surgery on pituitary function in patients with non-functioning pituitary adenomas -- a study on 721 patientsP Nomikos
Department of Neurosurgery, University of Erlangen Nurnberg, Erlangen, Germany
Acta Neurochir (Wien) 146:27-35. 2004..The aim of this study was to define the impact of surgery on pituitary function in a large consecutive series of patients harbouring non-functioning pituitary adenomas...
- [Spontaneous hypoglycemia in meningitis]S Pirovino
Medizinische Klinik A und Abteilung Endokrinologie, Diabetologie und Klinische Ernährung, Universitätskliniken Basel
Praxis (Bern 1994) 93:428-30. 2004
- Application of three-tesla magnetic resonance imaging for diagnosis and surgery of sellar lesionsStefan Wolfsberger
Department of Neurosurgery, University of Vienna Medical School, Vienna, Austria
J Neurosurg 100:278-86. 2004..The aim of this study was to determine the value of high-field magnetic resonance (MR) imaging for diagnosis and surgery of sellar lesions...
- Lymphocytic hypophysitis with cystic MRI appearanceA Perez-Nunez
Department of Neurosurgery, Hospital Doce de Octubre, Madrid, Spain
Acta Neurochir (Wien) 147:1297-300. 2005..It seems that this appearance in imaging studies is not unusual, and should be considered among the features suggesting this disease in an appropriate clinical context...
- Final height and growth hormone secretion after completion of growth hormone therapy in patients with idiopathic growth hormone deficiency and with abnormalities of the hypothalamic-pituitary regionMaciej Hilczer
Department of Endocrinology and Isotope Therapy, Medical University of Lodz, Poland
Neuro Endocrinol Lett 26:19-24. 2005..The aim of the study was an evaluation of final height and growth hormone (GH) secretion after completion of GH therapy (retesting) in patients with GH deficiency (GHD)...
- T1 signal hyperintensity in the sellar region: spectrum of findingsFabrice Bonneville
Department of Neuroradiology, Pitie Salpetriere Hospital, 74 Boulevard de l Hôpital, 75013 Paris, France
Radiographics 26:93-113. 2006....
- Rathke's cleft cysts: differentiation from other cystic lesions in the pituitary fossa by use of single-shot fast spin-echo diffusion-weighted MR imagingN Kunii
Department of Neurosurgery, Showa University School of Medicine, Tokyo, Japan
Acta Neurochir (Wien) 149:759-69; discussion 769. 2007..The purpose of this study was to investigate the usefulness of single-shot fast spin-echo (SSFSE) diffusion-weighted MR imaging (DWI) in the diagnosis of a Rathke's cleft cyst...
- Deterioration of growth hormone (GH) response and anterior pituitary function in young adults with childhood-onset GH deficiency and ectopic posterior pituitary: a two-year prospective follow-up studyNatascia Di Iorgi
AssociateDepartment of Pediatrics Istituto di Ricovero e Cura a Carattere Scientifico G Gaslini, University of Genova, Largo Gerolamo Gaslini, 5, 16147 Genova, Italy
J Clin Endocrinol Metab 92:3875-84. 2007..The current criteria for definition of partial GHD in young adults are still a subject of debate...
- Hypophysitis associated with a ruptured Rathke's cleft cyst in a woman, during pregnancyE Sonnet
Service of Endocrinology, CHU Brest, 29609 Brest, France
J Endocrinol Invest 29:353-7. 2006..The end of the pregnancy was marked by consequences of an increased volume of the RCC. To our knowledge, this case is the first described during pregnancy...
- Abnormal enlargement of pituitary gland during pregnancy remitted spontaneously after deliveryHuan Wen Chen
Division of Metabolism, Department of Internal Medicine, Lo Tung Poh Ai Hospital, Yilan
Chang Gung Med J 30:81-6. 2007..Neurological symptoms and signs should be closely monitored during pregnancy and neurosurgery may not be necessary. Endocrine surveys should be performed regularly after delivery to detect hypopituitarism as early as possible...
- Concurrent lymphocytic hypophysitis and pituitary adenoma. Case report and review of the literatureShaye I Moskowitz
Department of Neurosurgery, The Cleveland Clinic Foundation, Cleveland, Ohio 44195, USA
J Neurosurg 105:309-14. 2006..This is the first documented case of LyH in the setting of a null-cell pituitary adenoma. The authors review the related literature and outline potential mechanisms for the concurrent development of LyH and a pituitary adenoma...
- [Optimized diagnostic performance of brain magnetic resonance imaging in children with idiopathic growth hormone deficiency]Michał Rać
Zakład Diagnostyki Obrazowej i Radiologii Interwencyjnej Pomorskiej Akademii Medycznej ul Unii Lubelskiej 1, 71 252 Szczecin
Ann Acad Med Stetin 52:25-33; discussion 33-4. 2006..The aim of this study was to search for correlations between anatomic changes in the pituitary gland and hormonal disturbances in children with short stature...
- Longitudinal study of patients with idiopathic isolated TSH deficiency: possible progression of pituitary dysfunction in lymphocytic adenohypophysitisKen Ichi Hashimoto
Department of Internal Medicine, Matsunami General Hospital, Kasamatsu, Gifu, Japan
Endocr J 53:593-601. 2006..One patient underwent pituitary biopsy, with histological examination showing atypical form of LAH. LAH can cause idiopathic isolated TSH deficiency and can functionally progress to combine dysfunction of the pituitary gland...
- Imaging of sellar and parasellar lesionsJanine Rennert
Department of Neuroradiology, University Hospital of Erlangen Medical School, University of Erlangen Nuremberg, Schwabachanlage 6, D 91054 Erlangen, Germany
Clin Neurol Neurosurg 109:111-24. 2007....
- Pituitary abscessYen Hao Su
Department of Surgery, National Taiwan University Hospital and National Taiwan University College of Medicine, 7 Chung Shan S Rd, Taipei 100, Taiwan
J Clin Neurosci 13:1038-41. 2006..After one and a half years of follow-up, he was well and had no evidence of focal or systemic infection. We review the literature regarding pituitary abscess and discuss the appropriate treatment and possible pathological mechanism...
- Pituitary abscess: our experience with a case and a review of the literatureRinkoo Dalan
Department of Endocrinology, Tan Tock Seng Hospital, 11 Jalan Tan Tock Seng, Singapore, 308433, Singapore
Pituitary 11:299-306. 2008..A Medline search was conducted and a review of 24 cases reported in the last 5 years discussed...
- [Pituitary tuberculosis: a case report]L Trabelsi
Service d endocrinologie, CHU Hedi Chaker, Sfax, Tunisie
Ann Endocrinol (Paris) 66:340-6. 2005..Pituitary tuberculosis is rare, however, when encountered, they may present a diagnostic difficulty. Accurate diagnosis and management is important because pituitary tuberculoma is curable...
- Pituitary apoplexy during therapy with cabergoline in an adolescent male with prolactin-secreting macroadenomaMirta Knoepfelmacher
Department of Endocrinology, Hospital das Clinicas, University of Sao Paulo Medical School, Sao Paulo, Brasil
Pituitary 7:83-7. 2004..We report a case of a 16-year-old male patient with puberty arrest harboring a macroprolactinoma, who developed a sudden clinical picture of pituitary apoplexy during the 12th month of treatment with cabergoline...
- Congenital pathology of the pituitary gland and parasellar regionM Vittoria Spampinato
Department of Radiology, Medical University of South Carolina, Charleston, SC 29425, USA
Top Magn Reson Imaging 16:269-76. 2005..In this article, we review the pathogenesis, clinical presentation, and imaging features of common and rare congenital disorders of the region of the sella turcica...
- Idiopathic granulomatous hypophysitis presenting as non-functioning pituitary adenoma: description of six cases and review of literatureA Bhansali
Department of Endocrinology, Postgraduate Institute of Medical Education and Research, Chandigarh, India
Br J Neurosurg 18:489-94. 2004..Preoperative diagnosis of 'hypophysitis' is usually difficult; however, stalk thickening and loss of posterior pituitary 'bright spot' on MR imaging are clues to the diagnosis...
- Immunohistochemical staining of cathepsins B, L and stefin A in human hypophysis and pituitary adenomasTadej Strojnik
Department of Neurosurgery, Maribor Teaching Hospital, Ljubljanska 5, 2000 Maribor, Slovenia
Anticancer Res 25:587-94. 2005..New biological markers are needed for diagnosis of atypical pituitary adenoma. The study aimed to evaluate cathepsins B and L and inhibitor stefin A in relation to their aggressive progression...
- Lymphocytic hypophysitisKeith Cauley
Department of Diagnostic Radiology, University of Connecticut Health Center, Farmington, USA
Conn Med 69:143-6. 2005..Though magnetic resonance imaging (MRI) features are not diagnostic, knowledge of imaging features together with clinical history may permit avoidance of surgery...
- Management of Rathke's cleft cystsBurak Sade
Division of Neurosurgery, Sir Mortimer B Davis Jewish General Hospital, McGill University, Montreal, Quebec, Canada H3T 1E2
Surg Neurol 63:459-66; discussion 466. 2005..Incidental diagnosis of Rathke's cleft cysts (RCCs) has increased due to the improvements in imaging techniques; however, symptomatic cases are rare and accurate preoperative diagnosis can be difficult...
- Pituitary tuberculosis mimicking idiopathic granulomatous hypophysitisNuzhat Husain
Department of Pathology, King George s Medical University, Lucknow, 226003, India
Pituitary 11:313-5. 2008....
- [A case of lymphocytic hypophysitis mimicking pituitary macroadenoma]Shigeru Yamaguchi
Department of Neurosurgery, Hakodate Central Hospital, Japan
No Shinkei Geka 33:971-7. 2005..This case illustrates the difficulty of differentiation of lymphocytic hypophysitis from pituitary macroadenoma, and we discuss the clinical features and the management of this disease...
- [Autoimmune hypophysitis--two case reports]H Biering
Medizinische Klinik mit Schwerpunkt Gastroenterologie, Hepatologie und Endokrinologie, 10117 Berlin
Dtsch Med Wochenschr 130:2826-8. 2005..Two young female patients presented with polyuria and polydipsia. In one patient we additionally found idiopathic vitiligo, there were no relevant previous diseases. The gynaecological history was unremarkable...
- Septo-optic dysplasia associated with abnormal pubertal developmentPatcharada Amatyakul
Department of Obstetrics and Gynecology, Faculty of Medicine, Naresuan University, Phitsanulok 65000, Thailand
J Med Assoc Thai 90:1239-43. 2007..In the present report, the authors described two SOD cases that presented with primary amenorrhea and abnormal pubertal development. Clinical features. Possible etiology of this condition was reviewed..
- Granulomatous hypophysitis: presentation and MRI appearanceErcument Unlu
Department of Radiology, Trakya University School of Medicine, Edirne, Turkey
J Clin Neurosci 13:1062-6. 2006..Only a few cases with magnetic resonance imaging (MRI) findings have been reported to date. We describe the MRI findings for two patients with GrHy with unusual histories and clinical outcomes...
- Inflammatory hypophysitis - the spectrum of diseaseD E H Flanagan
Department of Endocrinology, Southampton University Hospitals, Southampton, UK
Acta Neurochir (Wien) 144:47-56. 2002..The condition is often divided into lymphocytic and granulomatous hypophysitis and it has been suggested that these two conditions represent the ends of a spectrum of disease...
- The value of pituitary magnetic resonance imaging in men with hypogonadismErnani Luis Rhoden
Division of Urology, Beth Israel Deaconess Medical Center, Men s Health Boston, One Brookline Place, Suite 624, Brookline, MA 02445, USA
J Urol 170:795-8. 2003..We assessed the usefulness of magnetic resonance imaging (MRI) of the brain in the evaluation of hypogonadal men with a variety of endocrine patterns...
- Postpartum pituitary hypophysitisN Tubridy
National Hospital for Neurology and Neurosurgery, London, UK
J Neuroophthalmol 21:106-8. 2001..The patient recovered with steroid treatment only. We review the literature on this increasingly recognized condition and argue that medical management may be more suitable than previously thought...
- Lymphocytic hypophysitis mimicking pituitary macroadenomaAnita Skandarajah
Department of Neurosurgery, Royal Melbourne Hospital, University of Melbourne, Grattan Street, Parkville, Australia
J Clin Neurosci 9:586-9. 2002..This case illustrates the difficulty in differentiating pituitary macroadenoma and lymphocytic hypophysitis and the variable presentations of lymphocytic hypophysitis...
- Infarction followed by hemorrhage in pituitary adenoma due to endocrine stimulation testI Matsuura
Department of Neurological Surgery, Chiba University School of Medicine, Japan
Endocr J 48:493-8. 2001....
- Lymphocytic adenohypophysitis simulating a pituitary adenoma in a pregnant womanB Vizner
Department of Neuroendocrinology and Pituitary Diseases, University Hospital Sestre Milosrdnice, Zagreb, Croatia
Coll Antropol 26:641-50. 2002..Due to enlargement of the pituitary associated with hypopituitarism, an incorrect diagnosis of a tumor could be made...
- MRI in the differential diagnosis of a sellar massS E J Connor
Department of Neuroradiology, King s College Hospital, London, U K
Clin Radiol 58:20-31. 2003..We discuss and illustrate these lesions and indicate the various magnetic resonance imaging features that are helpful in formulating an appropriate differential diagnosis...
- Hypophyseal hemorrhage and panhypopituitarism during Puumala Virus Infection: Magnetic Resonance Imaging and detection of viral antigen in the hypophysisTimo Hautala
Department of Internal Medicine, University of Oulu, Oulu, FIN 90014 Oulu, Finland
Clin Infect Dis 35:96-101. 2002....
- [Idiopathic granulomatous hypophysitis. Morphological and immunohistochemical study of a case]C Illueca
Departamento de Patologia, Hospital Clinico Universitario, Facultad de Medicina, Universidad de Valencia
Neurocirugia (Astur) 13:137-41. 2002..We analyze the differential diagnosis with another granulomatous processes, infectious or not infectious, and with the histiocytosis. We examine the possible relation with the lymphocytic hypophysitis...
- Practical pituitary pathology: what does the pathologist need to know?Sylvia L Asa
Department of Pathology, University Health Network, Toronto, Ontario, Canada
Arch Pathol Lab Med 132:1231-40. 2008....
- [Incidental findings of expansive processes in the sellar region]M Krsek
III interni klinika 1 LF UK a VFN, Praha
Cas Lek Cesk 142:14-8. 2003..Further, the paper shortly characterises most common pituitary and non-pituitary sellar masses that are necessary to distinguish. Finally, the basic diagnostic approach to the patients with sellar and parasellar masses is described...
- Macroprolactinemia revisited: a study on 106 patientsSophie Vallette-Kasic
Department of Endocrinology, Centre Hospitalier Universitaire Timone, 13385 Marseille Cedex 5
J Clin Endocrinol Metab 87:581-8. 2002..A diagnostic method for macroprolactinemia should be available to all centers to avoid unnecessary hormonal or radiological investigations and treatments...
- [Colloid cysts of the pituitary gland]Grzegorz Zielinski
Kliniki Neurochirurgii i Zakładu Radiologii Centralnego Szpitala Klinicznego Wojskowej Akademii Medycznej im Bolesława Szareckiego w Warszawie
Neurol Neurochir Pol 36:293-306. 2002..Postoperatively, the endocrine function of the pituitary gland was evaluated. We concluded that transsphenoidal operation is a safe method for treating colloid cyst located in the sellar region...
- Intrasellar tuberculoma--a difficult diagnosisC Paramo
Unit of Endocrinology, Complexo Hospitalario Xeral Cíes, Vigo, Spain
Infection 30:35-7. 2002..A transsphenoidal approach was performed and tissue examination revealed pituitary tuberculoma. Additionally, we review the previously reported cases...
- [Central diabetes insipidus in adult patients--the first sign of Langerhans cell histiocytosis and Erdheim-Chester disease. Three case studies and literature review]Z Adam
Interní hematoonkologická klinika Lékarské fakulty MU a FN Brno
Vnitr Lek 56:138-48. 2010..Therefore, the high-risk pituitary stalk infiltrate biopsy should always be preceded by comprehensive examination aimed at identification of extracranial manifestations of the pituitary gland diseases...
- Antibodies to pituitary surface antigens during various pituitary disease statesY M Keda
Laboratory of Molecular Endocrinology, Institute of Experimental Endocrinology, Research Centre for Endocrinology, Moscow, Russia
J Endocrinol 175:417-23. 2002..ASAS), human prolactinoma (ASAP) and rat adenohypophysis (ASARA) were assayed in the serum of patients with pituitary diseases associated with GH deficiency (GHD), such as pituitary dwarfism and primary empty sella syndrome (ESS), and ..
- Elevated soluble epidermal growth factor receptor level in pituitary adenoma and carcinomaYan Guo Kong
Laboratory of Neurosurgery, Peking Union Medical College Hospital, Chinese Academy of Medical Sciences and Peking Union Medical College, Beijing 100730
Chin Med Sci J 19:199-202. 2004..To investigate effect of the soluble epidermal growth factor receptor (sEGFR/sErbB1) level in the peripheral blood in development, invasiveness, apoplexy of each type of pituitary tumor...
- Susceptibility alleles and haplotypes of human leukocyte antigen DRB1, DQA1, and DQB1 in autoimmune polyglandular syndrome type III in Japanese populationKozo Hashimoto
Department of Endocrinology, Metabolism and Nephrology, Kochi Medical School, Kochi University, Nankoku, Japan
Horm Res 64:253-60. 2005..However, little has been reported on the susceptibility HLA class II haplotypes in Japanese patients with autoimmune polyglandular syndrome type II and type III (APS III)...
- The low-dose (1 microg) cosyntropin test (LDT) for primary adrenocortical insufficiency: Defining the normal cortisol response and report on first patients with Addison disease confirmed with LDTM Pura
Department of Endocrinology, National Institute of Endocrinology and Diabetology, Lubochna, Slovakia
Exp Clin Endocrinol Diabetes 118:151-7. 2010..Likewise the hypothalamic-pituitary disorders, early diagnosis of the initial or partial stages of primary AI has an important role...
- Primary empty sella: differences and similarities between children and adultsS Zucchini
Department of Paediatrics, University of Bologna, Italy
Acta Paediatr 84:1382-5. 1995..As in adults, empty sella may be associated with both pituitary hypo- and hyperfunction...
- Frequent appearance of autoantibodies against prohormone convertase 1/3 and neuroendocrine protein 7B2 in patients with nonfunctioning pituitary macroadenomaKe ita Tatsumi
Department of Laboratory Medicine, Osaka University Graduate School of Medicine, Osaka 565 0871, Japan
Endocrine 22:335-40. 2003..in patients with clinically nonfunctioning pituitary macroadenoma, lymphocytic hypophysitis, and other pituitary diseases. The indexes for anti-PC1/3 antibodies (Ab) were significantly higher in patients with nonfunctioning ..
- Recurrent pregnancy-induced diabetes insipidus in a woman with hemochromatosisRobert Krysiak
Department of Internal Medicine and Clinical Pharmacology, Medical University of Silesia, Katowice, Poland
Endocr J 57:1023-8. 2010....
- Elderly people with hypothalamic-pituitary disease and untreated GH deficiency: clinical outcome, body composition, lipid profiles and quality of life after 2 years compared to controlsJ S W Li Voon Chong
Department of Endocrinology, University Hospital Aintree, Liverpool, UK
Clin Endocrinol (Oxf) 56:175-81. 2002..Control subjects were also followed for 2 years...
- A simple and cost-effective approach to assessment of pituitary adrenocorticotropin and growth hormone reserve: combined use of the overnight metyrapone test and insulin-like growth factor-I standard deviation scoresJames Gibney
Department of Endocrinology and Diabetes, Adelaide and Meath Hospital, Tallaght, Dublin 24, Ireland
J Clin Endocrinol Metab 93:3763-8. 2008..The insulin tolerance test (ITT) is the gold standard for assessment of ACTH and GH reserve in patients with suspected hypopituitarism. It is labor intensive and costly...
- Adult height after cranial irradiation for optic pathway tumors: relationship with neurofibromatosisMarion Huguenin
Universite Rene Descartes, Paris, France
J Pediatr 142:699-703. 2003..The objective of this study was to evaluate the respective roles of these factors on disorders and adult height...
- Update on epidemiology, etiology, and diagnosis of adult growth hormone deficiencyF Prodam
Endocrinology, Department of Clinical and Experimental Medicine, University of Eastern Piedmont, 28100 Novara, Italy
J Endocrinol Invest 31:6-11. 2008..Regarding who to test for GHD, advice should be extended from primitive hypothalamic- pituitary diseases and cranial irradiation to include brain injuries (Traumatic Brain Injury in particular)...
- Molecular effects of novel mutations in Hesx1/HESX1 associated with human pituitary disordersJ M Brickman
Division of Mammalian Development, National Institute for Medical Research, The Ridgeway, London NW7 1AA, UK
Development 128:5189-99. 2001..Our data suggest a possible molecular paradigm for the dominant inheritance observed in some pituitary disorders...
- [Structure and role of protamines 1 and 2 in spermatogenesis and male infertility]Bartosz Kempisty
Katedra i Zakład Biochemii i Biologii Molekularnej AM im K Marcinkowskiego w Poznaniu
Ginekol Pol 77:238-45. 2006..We attempted to present current knowledge regarding structure and expression regulation of PRM1 and PRM2 genes. We also discussed the effect of disorders of PRM1 and PRM2 expression on male infertility...
- Diagnostic usefulness of the growth hormone-releasing peptide-2 test as a substitute for the insulin tolerance test in hypopituitarismKazunori Kageyama
Department of Endocrinology and Metabolism, Hirosaki University Graduate School of Medicine, Aomori, Japan
Endocr J 55:777-83. 2008..Generally, the insulin tolerance test (ITT) is useful for examining the HPA axis in both hypothalamic and pituitary diseases; however, ITT has a number of disadvantages...
- The pituitary-thyroid axis in patients with pituitary disordersP C Eskildsen
Medical Department, Horsens Hospital, Denmark
Horm Metab Res 21:387-90. 1989..It is concluded that the risk of hypothyroidism in patients exposed to pituitary microsurgery is not appearing from the TSH response to TRH, but from the thyroid hormone levels...
- [The diagnosis of hyperprolactinemia in clinical practice]Medard M Lech
Ośrodek Badań nad Płodnościa i Niepłodnościa w Warszawie
Ginekol Pol 76:1008-13. 2005....
- Incidence of pituitary tumors in the human population of CroatiaMilan Vrkljan
Center for Clinical Neuroendocrinology and Pituitary Diseases, Department of Endocrinology, Diabetes and Metabolic Diseases, University Hospital Sestre Milosrdnice, University of Zagreb, Zagreb, Croatia
Coll Antropol 30:157-61. 2006..In the Center for Clinical Neuroendocrinology and Pituitary Diseases, in the last working 10 years, there were treated and examined 504 patients from Croatia, all with pituitary ..
- Evidence for altered opioid activity in patients with cancerP Lissoni
Division of Radiation Oncology, Ospedale San Gerardo, Monza, Milan, Italy
Br J Cancer 56:834-7. 1987....
- GH response to oral glucose tolerance test: a comparison between patients with acromegaly and other pituitary disordersE Verrua
Department of Medical Sciences, University of Milan, Milan, Italy
J Clin Endocrinol Metab 96:E83-8. 2011..However, it is uncertain whether the impaired GH inhibition might be related to subtle abnormalities of GH secretion or to functional and/or anatomical hypothalamic-pituitary disconnection due to tumor per se or treatments...
- Quality of life in patients with pituitary tumorsAlicia Santos
Departments of Endocrinology and Medicine, Hospital Sant Pau, Universitat Autonoma de Barcelona, Barcelona 08025, Spain
Curr Opin Endocrinol Diabetes Obes 16:299-303. 2009..However, it is not usually assessed in daily practice. The aim of this study is to highlight recent findings on QoL in the different types of pituitary adenomas and hypopituitarism...
- Hypothalamus-pituitary-adrenal axis evaluation in patients with hypothalamo-pituitary disorders: comparison of different provocative testsR Giordano
Division of Endocrinology and Metabolism, Department of Internal Medicine, University of Turin, Turin, Italy
Clin Endocrinol (Oxf) 68:935-41. 2008..250 microg ACTH is a supramaximal dose and unreliable in this setting. The diagnostic reliability of 1.0 microg ACTH test is controversial and very low doses have been proposed...
- Incidence and pathophysiology of severe hyponatraemia in neurosurgical patientsM Sherlock
Department of Academic Endocrinology, Beaumont Hospital, Dublin, Ireland
Postgrad Med J 85:171-5. 2009..Hyponatraemia is a well-recognised complication of neurosurgical conditions, but the incidence and implications have not been well documented...
- Antipituitary antibodies in adults with apparently idiopathic growth hormone deficiency and in adults with autoimmune endocrine diseasesAnnamaria De Bellis
Department of Clinical and Experimental Medicine and Surgery F Magrassi, A Lanzara, Second University of Naples, 80131 Naples, Italy
J Clin Endocrinol Metab 88:650-4. 2003The role of antipituitary antibodies (APA) in autoimmune pituitary diseases still needs to be clarified...
- Assessment of normal perisellar anatomy in 1.5 T T2-weighted MRI and comparison with the anatomic criteria defining cavernous sinus invasion of pituitary adenomasU J Knappe
Department of Neurosurgery, Johannes Wesling Klinikum, Hans Nolte Strasse 1, Minden 32429, Germany
Cent Eur Neurosurg 70:130-6. 2009..The study aimed to evaluate the anatomical relations of sellar and perisellar structures with T2-weighted MRI and to apply criteria for cavernous sinus (CS) invasion by pituitary adenomas to normal sellar anatomy...
- [Treatment of pituitary adenomas]Emese Mezosi
Pecsi Tudomanyegyetem, Klinikai Központ I Belgyógyászati Klinika Pécs
Orv Hetil 150:1803-10. 2009..Further studies are needed to elucidate the exact role of radiosurgery and fractionated stereotaxic irradiation in the treatment of pituitary tumors...
- Cell Specific Expression in the Pituitary GlandSally A Camper; Fiscal Year: 2013..This information will be informative for identifying the basis for human pituitary diseases including congenital hormone deficiencies and common adenomas.
- Role of LHX3 Protein Isoforms in Pituitary DevelopmentSIMON JAMES RHODES; Fiscal Year: 2012..human pituitary development and function and to apply that knowledge to the prevention and treatment of pituitary diseases. The anterior pituitary gland secretes polypeptide hormones that are critical for many aspects of human ..
- Pituitary Development in a Novel Animal Model of Pediatric Hormone DeficiencyKELLY PRINCE; Fiscal Year: 2012..Mutations in the genes encoding several of these essential transcription factors result in severe pediatric pituitary diseases such as combined pituitary hormone deficiency (CPHD) disease...
- Chemoprevention of pituitary gonadotrope tumorsT Rajendra Kumar; Fiscal Year: 2013DESCRIPTION (provided by applicant): Pituitary adenomas are the most frequent of all pituitary diseases and are observed in both sexes. The prevalence is estimated as ~90 cases per 105 people...
- Body Composition and the Metabolic Syndrome in Cushing's DiseaseELIZA BREVOORT GEER; Fiscal Year: 2012..allow me to develop into a successful independent researcher in the areas of neuroendocrinology and pituitary diseases. My current environment is ideally suited to achieve this goal. Through Dr...
- Notch Signaling Regulates Pituitary OrganogenesisLori T Raetzman; Fiscal Year: 2013..This gap in knowledge must be filled because pituitary diseases presenting with too few hormone producing cells (hypopituitarism) and too many cells (adenomas) represent a ..
- SECRETION OF TRH & OTHER NEURAL PEPTIDESIvor Jackson; Fiscal Year: 1991....
- Molecular analysis of GHRH receptor missense mutationsRoberto Salvatori; Fiscal Year: 2004..Altogether, these experiments will teach us new information about the pathophysiology of GHRHR signaling in health and disease. ..
- Creation of a mouse model of isolated GH deficiencyRoberto Salvatori; Fiscal Year: 2007..unreadable] [unreadable] [unreadable]..
- Interferon gamma in autoimmune thyroiditis & thyroid functionPatrizio Caturegli; Fiscal Year: 2007..We also hypothesize that augmented TSH signaling is required to induce the adipocyte-rich phenotype, and cross thyr-IFNg transgenics to TSH receptor knockout mice. ..
- Consequences of generalized lack of GHRHRoberto Salvatori; Fiscal Year: 2005..By recombinase technique, we will generate KO lines with no Neor, avoiding any interference with distant or neighboring genes. In addition, results obtained in the GHRHKO1 line will be confirmed or disproved. ..
- Consequences of lifetime isolated Growth Hormone deficiencyRoberto Salvatori; Fiscal Year: 2007..unreadable] [unreadable]..
- LONGITUDINAL STUDY OF DEPRESSION IN LUNG CANCERMichael Weitzner; Fiscal Year: 2002....
- Anti-Adenosine Therapy of Neonatal Brain InjuryScott Rivkees; Fiscal Year: 2007..It is anticipated that these studies will lead to novel and practical strategies for directly preventing brain injury. [unreadable] [unreadable]..
- The mechanisms of the nicotine-induction of insulin resistanceTheodore Friedman; Fiscal Year: 2008..abstract_text> ..
- In Vivo CSF Shunt Hydrodynamics in HydrocephalusMarvin Bergsneider; Fiscal Year: 2010..Documenting definitive evidence of the tuned-dynamic absorber model could have fundamental implications to all ICP disorders. ..
- PSF Regulates the Porcine P450scc IFGRERandall J Urban; Fiscal Year: 2010..This knowledge will increase our understanding and provide the basic background for novel concepts on hormonal control of ovarian steroidogenesis. ..
- Cyclic Testosterone on muscle function in older menRandall Urban; Fiscal Year: 2009..This innovative change in testosterone administration would result in greater gains in strength with fewer side effects. ..
- Adenosinergic Mechanisms of Intrauterine Growth RetardationScott A Rivkees; Fiscal Year: 2010..The goals of this proposal are to identify the mechanisms by which adenosine acts to protect the embryo in utero and how altered embryonic adenosine action leads to long-term adverse effects in adulthood. ..
- A HEMODYNAMIC MODEL OF INTRACRANIAL PRESSURE DYNAMICSMarvin Bergsneider; Fiscal Year: 2002..An improved understanding of these disorders will offer new and better treatment modalities for millions of affected patients. ..
- COREPRESSORS AND NEGATIVE REGULATION BY THYROID HORMONERonald Cohen; Fiscal Year: 2002..This will provide an ideal environment to complete this project, and will provide a basis for Dr. Cohen's transition to an independent investigator. ..
- Role of SMRT and NCoR in adipocyte differentiation and functionRonald Cohen; Fiscal Year: 2007..These results will be helpful in the design of new medications to treat patients with diabetes. ..
- In Vivo Imaging of Post-Traumatic Cerebral Amyloid DepositionMarvin Bergsneider; Fiscal Year: 2007..unreadable] [unreadable] [unreadable]..
- HPA Axis Activation and Nicotine UseTheodore Friedman; Fiscal Year: 2005..The use of glucocorticoid synthesis inhibitors or antagonists, antalarmin, or other CRH and/or AVP antagonists, may be helpful in smoking cessation programs in humans. ..
- Role of corepressors in the adipocyteRonald Cohen; Fiscal Year: 2006..It is anticipated that an examination of corepressor action on adipocyte function will allow for a greater understanding of the balance of forces regulating adipocyte action and the development of obesity and insulin resistance. ..
- Chronic Nicotine's Activation of the HPA AxisTheodore Friedman; Fiscal Year: 2005..abstract_text> ..
- Vaccine therapy of congenital adrenal HyperplasiaScott Rivkees; Fiscal Year: 2003..We also anticipate being able to extend this novel approach to the treatment of other receptor-mediated endocrine disorders, such as hyperthyroidism. ..
- A-1 Adenosine Receptor Action in Developing HeartScott Rivkees; Fiscal Year: 2005..We anticipate that these studies will identify Rho and ROCK as critical signaling molecules in heart development and reveal that cardiac GTPase activity transduces the effects of adenosine. ..
- Radioactive Iodide Therapy of Pediatric Graves' DiseaseScott A Rivkees; Fiscal Year: 2010....
- DEVELOPING CIRCADIAN RHYTHMICITYScott Rivkees; Fiscal Year: 2002..These studies may also lead to the development of new care practices in Neonatal Intensive Care Units and extend the field of developmental chronobiology to the bedside. ..
- Genetic Etilogy of Renal Agenesis in the ACI RatJames Shull; Fiscal Year: 2006..Upon completion of these Aims, we will better understand the genetic bases of renal agenesis in the ACI rat and will be able to assess the relevance of this animal model to renal agenesis in humans. ..
- A1-ADENOSINE RECEPTOR ACTION IN HIPPOCAMPUSScott Rivkees; Fiscal Year: 2003..We anticipate these studies will lead to new insights into the mechanisms of A1AR action. We also anticipate that these studies will identify A1ARs as an important regulator of axon growth. ..
- CB1 Receptor Action on the Developing HippocampusScott Rivkees; Fiscal Year: 2005..We anticipate that these studies will result in new insights into the potential effects of cannabinoid action on the developing brain. ..
- Genes and Proteins Leading to AddictionTheodore Friedman; Fiscal Year: 2006..The focus of this proposal will be to use two new technologies, ProteinChip Array (SELDI-TOF Mass Spectrophotometry) and Gene Chip Array, to characterize and identify genes and proteins involved in opiate use. ..
- The Role of Adenosine in Hypoglycemic Brain InjuryScott Rivkees; Fiscal Year: 2003..We anticipate that these studies will yield new insights into the mechanisms of hypoglycemic brain injury and may lead to the development of practical strategies for reducing hypoglycemic brain injury. ..