Genomes and Genes
Summary: Condition resulting from deficient gonadal functions, such as GAMETOGENESIS and the production of GONADAL STEROID HORMONES. It is characterized by delay in GROWTH, germ cell maturation, and development of secondary sex characteristics. Hypogonadism can be due to a deficiency of GONADOTROPINS (hypogonadotropic hypogonadism) or due to primary gonadal failure (hypergonadotropic hypogonadism).
Publications325 found, 100 shown here
- Hypogonadotropic hypogonadism due to loss of function of the KiSS1-derived peptide receptor GPR54Nicolas de Roux
Institut National de la Santé et de la Recherche Médicale Unité 135, Unité de Recherches Hormones Gènes et Reproduction, Hopital de Bicetre, 94275 Le Kremlin Bicetre, France
Proc Natl Acad Sci U S A 100:10972-6. 2003Hypogonadotropic hypogonadism is defined as a deficiency of the pituitary secretion of follicle-stimulating hormone and luteinizing hormone, which results in the impairment of pubertal maturation and of reproductive function...
- Inactivating KISS1 mutation and hypogonadotropic hypogonadismA Kemal Topaloglu
Faculty of Medicine, Department of Pediatric Endocrinology, Cukurova University, Adana, Turkey
N Engl J Med 366:629-35. 2012..Funded by the Scientific and Technological Research Council of Turkey [TÜBİTAK] and others.)...
- Longitudinal effects of aging on serum total and free testosterone levels in healthy men. Baltimore Longitudinal Study of AgingS M Harman
The Intramural Research Program, National Institute on Aging, National Institutes of Health, Baltimore, Maryland 21224, USA
J Clin Endocrinol Metab 86:724-31. 2001..The frequency with which aging leads to T levels consistent with hypogonadism has also not been defined...
- TAC3 and TACR3 mutations in familial hypogonadotropic hypogonadism reveal a key role for Neurokinin B in the central control of reproductionA Kemal Topaloglu
Cukurova University, Faculty of Medicine, Department of Pediatric Endocrinology and Metabolism, Balcali, Adana 01330, Turkey
Nat Genet 41:354-8. 2009..These findings implicate Neurokinin B as a critical central regulator of human gonadal function and suggest new approaches to the pharmacological control of human reproduction and sex hormone-related diseases...
- A leptin missense mutation associated with hypogonadism and morbid obesityA Strobel
Nat Genet 18:213-5. 1998
- Kiss1-/- mice exhibit more variable hypogonadism than Gpr54-/- miceRisto Lapatto
Reproductive Endocrine Unit, Department of Medicine, Massachusetts General Hospital, 55 Fruit Street, Boston, MA 02114, USA
Endocrinology 148:4927-36. 2007..Gpr54 knockout mice demonstrate hypogonadotropic hypogonadism, but until recently, the phenotype of Kiss1 knockout mice was unknown...
- Hypogonadotropic hypogonadism in mice lacking a functional Kiss1 geneXavier d'Anglemont de Tassigny
Reproductive Physiology Group, Department of Physiology, Development, and Neuroscience, University of Cambridge, Cambridge CB2 3EG, United Kingdom
Proc Natl Acad Sci U S A 104:10714-9. 2007..Kiss1 also does not seem to play a vital role in any other physiological processes other than activation of the hypothalamic-pituitary-gonadal axis, and loss of Kiss1 cannot be overcome by compensatory mechanisms...
- Hypogonadism and metabolic syndromeG Corona
Andrology and Sexual Medicine Unit, Department of Clinical Physiopathology, University of Florence, Florence, Italy
J Endocrinol Invest 34:557-67. 2011The relationship between metabolic syndrome (MetS), male hypogonadism and their possible interaction in cardiovascular (CV) risk stratification are not completely understood.
- A family with hypogonadotropic hypogonadism and mutations in the gonadotropin-releasing hormone receptorN de Roux
INSERM unité 135, Institut Fédératif de Recherche 21, Hopital de Bicetre, Le Kremlin Bicetre, France
N Engl J Med 337:1597-602. 1997
- The decline of androgen levels in elderly men and its clinical and therapeutic implicationsJean M Kaufman
Department of Endocrinology, Ghent University Hospital, Ghent B 9000, Belgium
Endocr Rev 26:833-76. 2005..Albeit the clinical picture of aging in men is reminiscent of that of hypogonadism in young men and decreased testosterone production appears to play a role in part of these clinical changes in ..
- Body weight loss reverts obesity-associated hypogonadotropic hypogonadism: a systematic review and meta-analysisGiovanni Corona
Sexual Medicine Andrology Unit, Department of Experimental, Clinical and Biomedical Sciences, University of Florence, Florence, Italy
Eur J Endocrinol 168:829-43. 2013..The aim of this study is to perform a systematic review and meta-analysis of available trials on the effect of body weight loss on sex hormones levels...
- Characteristics of secondary, primary, and compensated hypogonadism in aging men: evidence from the European Male Ageing StudyAbdelouahid Tajar
The University of Manchester, Manchester Academic Health Science Centre, Department of Endocrinology, Manchester Royal Infirmary, Oxford Road, Manchester M13 9WL, United Kingdom
J Clin Endocrinol Metab 95:1810-8. 2010The diagnosis of late-onset hypogonadism (LOH) in older men with age-related declines in testosterone (T) is currently not well characterized.
- Distinct expression patterns predict differential roles of the miRNA-binding proteins, Lin28 and Lin28b, in the mouse testis: studies during postnatal development and in a model of hypogonadotropic hypogonadismFrancisco Gaytan
Department of Cell Biology, Physiology and Immunology, Faculty of Medicine, University of Cordoba, Avda Menendez Pidal s n, 14004 Cordoba, Spain
Endocrinology 154:1321-36. 2013..of Lin28 and Lin28b in mouse testis during postnatal development and in a model of hypogonadotropic hypogonadism as a result of inactivation of the kisspeptin receptor, Gpr54...
- Hypogonadism as a risk factor for cardiovascular mortality in men: a meta-analytic studyGiovanni Corona
Sexual Medicine and Andrology Unit, Department of Clinical Physiopathology, University of Florence, Viale Pieraccini 6, 50139 Florence, Italy
Eur J Endocrinol 165:687-701. 2011To verify whether hypogonadism represents a risk factor for cardiovascular (CV) morbidity and mortality and to verify whether testosterone replacement therapy (TRT) improves CV parameters in subjects with known CV diseases (CVDs).
- Prevalence, phenotypic spectrum, and modes of inheritance of gonadotropin-releasing hormone receptor mutations in idiopathic hypogonadotropic hypogonadismM Beranova
Reproductive Endocrine Unit, Harvard-wide Reproductive Endocrine Sciences Center, Massachusetts General Hospital, Boston, Massachusetts 02114, USA
J Clin Endocrinol Metab 86:1580-8. 2001..have been described as a cause of reproductive failure in a subset of patients with idiopathic hypogonadotropic hypogonadism (IHH)...
- Mutations in gonadotropin-releasing hormone receptor gene cause hypogonadotropic hypogonadismL C Layman
Nat Genet 18:14-5. 1998
- The impact of hypogonadism and autonomic dysfunction on fatigue, emotional function, and sexual desire in male patients with advanced cancer: a pilot studyFlorian Strasser
Section of Oncology Hematology, Department Internal Medicine, Cantonal Hospital, St Gallen, Switzerland
Cancer 107:2949-57. 2006The objective of this study was to determine whether hypogonadism and autonomic dysfunction contribute substantially to cancer-related fatigue, decreased sexual desire, and depression in male patients with advanced, incurable cancer.
- GnRH receptor mutations in isolated gonadotropic deficiencyL Chevrier
INSERM U676, Avenir Team Genetic and Physiology of Puberty Onset, Robert Debre Hospital, 48 Boulevard Serurier, 75019 Paris, France
Mol Cell Endocrinol 346:21-8. 2011..Congenital functional defect of this axis results in isolated hypogonadotropic hypogonadism (IHH). Several natural mutations causing IHH without anosmia have now been identified in GnRHR or GnRH genes...
- The effect of testosterone replacement on endogenous inflammatory cytokines and lipid profiles in hypogonadal menChris J Malkin
Cardiology Department, Royal Hallamshire Hospital, Sheffield, United Kingdom S10 2JF
J Clin Endocrinol Metab 89:3313-8. 2004....
- A deletion of the HBII-85 class of small nucleolar RNAs (snoRNAs) is associated with hyperphagia, obesity and hypogonadismAdam J de Smith
Section of Genomic Medicine, Imperial College London, Hammersmith Hospital Campus, London, UK
Hum Mol Genet 18:3257-65. 2009..We report a 19-year-old male with hyperphagia and severe obesity, mild learning difficulties and hypogonadism, in whom diagnostic tests for Prader-Willi syndrome (PWS) had been negative...
- Exogenous testosterone (T) alone or with finasteride increases physical performance, grip strength, and lean body mass in older men with low serum TStephanie T Page
Wesley Woods Health Center, 1841 Clifton Road Northeast, Atlanta, Georgia 30329 5102, USA
J Clin Endocrinol Metab 90:1502-10. 2005....
- Identification of late-onset hypogonadism in middle-aged and elderly menFrederick C W Wu
Andrology Research Unit, Developmental and Regenerative Biomedicine Research Group, University of Manchester, Manchester Academic Health Science Centre, Manchester, United Kingdom
N Engl J Med 363:123-35. 2010The association between aging-related testosterone deficiency and late-onset hypogonadism in men remains a controversial concept...
- Testosterone replacement therapy improves insulin resistance, glycaemic control, visceral adiposity and hypercholesterolaemia in hypogonadal men with type 2 diabetesD Kapoor
Centre for Diabetes and Endocrinology, Barnsley NHS Foundation Trust Hospital, Gawber Road, Barnsley S75 2EP, UK
Eur J Endocrinol 154:899-906. 2006..We investigated the effect of testosterone treatment on insulin resistance and glycaemic control in hypogonadal men with type 2 diabetes...
- Testosterone therapy in men with androgen deficiency syndromes: an Endocrine Society clinical practice guidelineShalender Bhasin
Boston University School of Medicine, Boston, Massachusetts 02118, USA
J Clin Endocrinol Metab 95:2536-59. 2010..Our objective was to update the guidelines for the evaluation and treatment of androgen deficiency syndromes in adult men published previously in 2006...
- Impairment of couple relationship in male patients with sexual dysfunction is associated with overt hypogonadismGiovanni Corona
Andrology Unit, Department of Clinical Physiopathology, University of Florence, Florence, Italy
J Sex Med 6:2591-600. 2009..Couple sexual dysfunction is a common, but not often studied, problem...
- The same molecular defects of the gonadotropin-releasing hormone receptor determine a variable degree of hypogonadism in affected kindredN de Roux
INSERM U 135 et Laboratoire d Hormonologie et Biologie Moléculaire, Hopital de Bicetre, Le Kremlin Bicetre, France
J Clin Endocrinol Metab 84:567-72. 1999..The propositus, a 30-yr-old man, displayed complete idiopathic hypogonadotropic hypogonadism with extremely low plasma levels of gonadotropins, absence of pulsatility of endogenous LH and alpha-subunit, ..
- Phenotypic effects of leptin replacement on morbid obesity, diabetes mellitus, hypogonadism, and behavior in leptin-deficient adultsJulio Licinio
Center for Pharmacogenomics, Neuropsychiatric Institute, Department of Psychiatry and Biobehavioral Sciences, David Geffen School of Medicine, University of California, Los Angeles, CA 90095 1761, USA
Proc Natl Acad Sci U S A 101:4531-6. 2004..activity, changes in endocrine function and metabolism, including resolution of type 2 diabetes mellitus and hypogonadism, and beneficial effects on ingestive and noningestive behavior...
- A novel loss-of-function mutation in GPR54/KISS1R leads to hypogonadotropic hypogonadism in a highly consanguineous familyRevital Nimri
The Jesse Z and Sara Lea Shafer Institute for Endocrinology and Diabetes, National Center for Childhood Diabetes, Schneider Children s Medical Center of Israel, 14 Kaplan Street, Petah Tikva 49202, Israel
J Clin Endocrinol Metab 96:E536-45. 2011..Recently loss-of-function mutations of the GPR54 have been implicated as a cause of isolated idiopathic hypogonadotropic hypogonadism (IHH).
- A novel homozygous splice acceptor site mutation of KISS1R in two siblings with normosmic isolated hypogonadotropic hypogonadismM G Teles
Unidade de Endocrinologia do Desenvolvimento, Laboratório de Hormônios e Genética Molecular LIM42 da Disciplina de Endocrinologia, Hospital das Clinicas, Faculdade de Medicina, Universidade de Sao Paulo, 05403 900 Sao Paulo, Brazil
Eur J Endocrinol 163:29-34. 2010Loss-of-function mutations of the kisspeptin-1 receptor gene, KISS1R, have been identified in patients with normosmic isolated hypogonadotropic hypogonadism (nIHH).
- Testosterone replacement therapy: current trends and future directionsE Nieschlag
Institute of Reproductive Medicine of the University Domagkstr 11, D 48129 Munster, Germany
Hum Reprod Update 10:409-19. 2004Male hypogonadism is characterized by abnormally low serum testosterone levels associated with typical symptoms, including mood disturbance, sexual dysfunction, decreased muscle mass and strength, and decreased bone mineral density...
- Clinical and molecular characterization of a large sample of patients with hypogonadotropic hypogonadismBalasubramanian Bhagavath
Division of Reproductive Endocrinology, Infertility, and Genetics, Department of Obstetrics and Gynecology, Medical College of Georgia, Augusta, Georgia 30912 3360, USA
Fertil Steril 85:706-13. 2006To characterize the phenotype, modes of inheritance, karyotype, and molecular basis of patients with idiopathic hypogonadotropic hypogonadism (IHH).
- Standardised water-soluble extract of Eurycoma longifolia, Tongkat ali, as testosterone booster for managing men with late-onset hypogonadism?M I B M Tambi
Wellmen Clinic, Damai Service Hospital, Kuala Lumpur, Malaysia
Andrologia 44:226-30. 2012..Considering that human studies are not available, 76 of 320 patients suffering from late-onset hypogonadism (LOH) were given 200 mg of a standardised water-soluble extract of Tongkat ali for 1 month...
- Improvement of sexual function in men with late-onset hypogonadism treated with testosterone onlyAksam A Yassin
Clinic of Urology Andrology, Segeberger Kliniken, Norderstedt Hamburg, Germany
J Sex Med 4:497-501. 2007Late-onset hypogonadism is associated with relatively mild testosterone deficiencies. This study investigated the effects of restoring testosterone levels to normal in men with complaints of low sexual desire and erectile dysfunction.
- The relative contributions of aging, health, and lifestyle factors to serum testosterone decline in menThomas G Travison
New England Research Institutes, 9 Galen Street, Watertown, Massachusetts 02472, USA
J Clin Endocrinol Metab 92:549-55. 2007..Although it is known that serum testosterone (T) concentrations decline with age, the relative contributions of changes in health and lifestyle to that decline have not been adequately assessed...
- Two novel missense mutations in g protein-coupled receptor 54 in a patient with hypogonadotropic hypogonadismR K Semple
Department of Clinical Biochemistry, Addenbrooke s Hospital, Cambridge CB2 2QR, United Kingdom
J Clin Endocrinol Metab 90:1849-55. 2005..that loss-of-function mutations of the G protein-coupled receptor (GPR)54 lead to isolated hypogonadotropic hypogonadism (IHH) in mice and humans...
- Induction of spermatogenesis by androgens in gonadotropin-deficient (hpg) miceJ Singh
Department of Obstetrics and Gynecology, University of Sydney, New South Wales, Australia
Endocrinology 136:5311-21. 1995..The hpg mouse model is a useful new paradigm to study the molecular basis of the hormonal induction of spermatogenesis...
- TAC3 and TACR3 defects cause hypothalamic congenital hypogonadotropic hypogonadism in humansJacques Young
Faculte de Medecine Paris Sud, University Paris Sud, INSERM Unité Mixte de Recherche S693, Le Kremlin Bicetre, F 94276, France
J Clin Endocrinol Metab 95:2287-95. 2010..B and its receptor NK3R, respectively, were recently discovered in kindreds with nonsyndromic normosmic congenital hypogonadotropic hypogonadism (CHH), thus identifying a fundamental role of this pathway in the human gonadotrope axis.
- Frequent occurrence of hypogonadotropic hypogonadism in type 2 diabetesSandeep Dhindsa
Division of Endocrinology, Diabetes, and Metabolism, State University of New York at Buffalo and Kaleida Health, Buffalo, New York 14209, USA
J Clin Endocrinol Metab 89:5462-8. 2004..However, it is not known whether the defect is primary or secondary. We investigated the prevalence of hypogonadism in type 2 diabetes by measuring serum total T, free T (FT), SHBG, LH, FSH, and prolactin (PRL) in 103 type 2 ..
- Oligogenic basis of isolated gonadotropin-releasing hormone deficiencyGerasimos P Sykiotis
Harvard Reproductive Endocrine Sciences Center and the Reproductive Endocrine Unit, Department of Medicine, Massachusetts General Hospital, Boston, MA 02114, USA
Proc Natl Acad Sci U S A 107:15140-4. 2010....
- Update: Hypogonadotropic hypogonadism in type 2 diabetes and obesityParesh Dandona
Division of Endocrinology, State University of New York at Buffalo and Kaleida Health, Buffalo, New York 14209, USA
J Clin Endocrinol Metab 96:2643-51. 2011..Trials of a longer duration are clearly required to definitively establish the benefits and risks of testosterone replacement in patients with type 2 diabetes and low testosterone...
- Effects of testosterone supplementation on markers of the metabolic syndrome and inflammation in hypogonadal men with the metabolic syndrome: the double-blinded placebo-controlled Moscow studySvetlana Y Kalinchenko
The Faculty of Medical Staff Refresher Training, People s Friendship University of Russia Medical Clinic of Reproduction MAMA, Moscow, Russia
Clin Endocrinol (Oxf) 73:602-12. 2010..Men with the metabolic syndrome (MetS) have low plasma testosterone (T) levels. The aim of this study was to establish whether the normalization of plasma T improves the features of the MetS...
- Acute sex steroid withdrawal reduces insulin sensitivity in healthy men with idiopathic hypogonadotropic hypogonadismMaria A Yialamas
Reproductive Endocrine Unit of the Department of Medicine, Massachusetts General Hospital, Bartlett Hall Extension 511, Boston, Massachusetts 02114, USA
J Clin Endocrinol Metab 92:4254-9. 2007..Evidence suggests that testosterone (T) influences insulin sensitivity in men. The mechanism of this effect is unclear but is thought to involve changes in body composition...
- The effect of testosterone replacement therapy on adipocytokines and C-reactive protein in hypogonadal men with type 2 diabetesD Kapoor
Centre for Diabetes and Endocrinology, Barnsley NHS Foundation Trust Hospital, Barnsley, United Kingdom
Eur J Endocrinol 156:595-602. 2007..Adipocytokines are hormones secreted by adipose tissue and contribute to insulin resistance. We examined the effects of testosterone replacement treatment on various adipocytokines and C-reactive protein (CRP) in type 2 diabetic men...
- Novel mutations in testis-specific ubiquitin protease 26 gene may cause male infertility and hypogonadismDarius A Paduch
Department of Urology, Weill Medical College of Cornell University, 525 East 68th Street, Box 580, New York, NY 10021, USA
Reprod Biomed Online 10:747-54. 2005..The USP26 gene may be of importance in male reproduction. Mutations in this gene may be associated with male infertility, and may negatively affect testicular function...
- Characteristics of androgen deficiency in late-onset hypogonadism: results from the European Male Aging Study (EMAS)Abdelouahid Tajar
Arthritis Research U K Epidemiology Unit, Manchester Academic Health Science Centre, The University of Manchester, Manchester M13 9PT, United Kingdom
J Clin Endocrinol Metab 97:1508-16. 2012Late-onset hypogonadism (LOH) has been defined as a syndrome in middle-aged and elderly men reporting symptoms in the presence of low testosterone (T).
- Targeted disruption of luteinizing hormone beta-subunit leads to hypogonadism, defects in gonadal steroidogenesis, and infertilityXiaoping Ma
Departments of Pathology, Baylor College of Medicine, Houston, TX 77030, USA
Proc Natl Acad Sci U S A 101:17294-9. 2004..Thus, LHbeta null mice represent a model to study the consequences of an isolated deficiency of LH ligand in reproduction, while retaining normal LH-responsiveness in target cells...
- Oral testosterone replacement in symptomatic late-onset hypogonadism: effects on rating scales and general safety in a randomized, placebo-controlled studyJean Jacques Legros
Department of Endocrinology, University of Liege, CHR de la Citadelle, Boulevard du 12e de Ligne 1, 4000 Liege, Belgium Department of Urology, Free University Medical Center, PO Box 7057, 1007 MB Amsterdam, The Netherlands
Eur J Endocrinol 160:821-31. 2009To investigate the effects of oral testosterone undecanoate (TU) on symptoms associated with late-onset hypogonadism (LOH). Design Multicenter, randomized, double-blind, placebo-controlled.
- Treatment of hypogonadism with testosterone in patients with type 2 diabetes mellitusRaju A Gopal
Department of Endocrinology, Seth Gordhandas Sunderdas Medical College and King Edward Memorial Hospital, Mumbai, India
Endocr Pract 16:570-6. 2010To investigate the effect of testosterone treatment on insulin resistance, glycemic control, and dyslipidemia in Asian Indian men with type 2 diabetes mellitus (T2DM) and hypogonadism.
- Effects of a novel selective androgen receptor modulator on dexamethasone-induced and hypogonadism-induced muscle atrophyAmanda Jones
Division of Pharmaceutics, College of Pharmacy, The Ohio State University, Columbus, Ohio 43210, USA
Endocrinology 151:3706-19. 2010..The results suggest that levator ani atrophy caused by hypogonadism may be the result of loss of IGF-I stimulation, whereas that caused by glucocorticoid treatment relies almost ..
- Evidence-based medicine update on testosterone replacement therapy (TRT) in male hypogonadism: focus on new formulationsV A Giagulli
Endocrinology and Metabolic Diseases, University of Bari Aldo Moro, Foggia, Italy
Curr Pharm Des 17:1500-11. 2011..Therefore, the aim of this review is to sum up the most important evidence that has been collected regarding TRT, highlighting in particular those concerning both transcutaneous and long-acting injectable T compounds...
- Pharmacokinetics of transdermal testosterone gel in hypogonadal men: application of gel at one site versus four sites: a General Clinical Research Center StudyC Wang
Department of Medicine, Harbor UCLA Medical Center and Research and Education Institute, Torrance, California 90509, USA
J Clin Endocrinol Metab 85:964-9. 2000..Dose-ranging studies are required to determine dosage regimens for T gel application as a replacement therapy in hypogonadal men...
- Approach to the male patient with congenital hypogonadotropic hypogonadismJacques Young
Universite Paris Sud, Faculte de Medecine Paris Sud, Unité Mixte de Recherche S693, Service d endocrinologie et des maladies de la reproduction, Hopital Bicetre, 94275 Le Kremlin Bicetre, France
J Clin Endocrinol Metab 97:707-18. 2012The term "congenital hypogonadotropic hypogonadism" (CHH) refers to a group of disorders featuring complete or partial pubertal failure due to insufficient secretion of the pituitary gonadotropins LH and FSH...
- Late-onset hypogonadismNazem Bassil
Department of Medicine, Saint George Hospital Medical Center, Balamand University, Youssef Sursock Street, PO Box 166378, Achrafieh, Beirut 1100 2807, Lebanon
Med Clin North Am 95:507-23, x. 2011Late-onset hypogonadism is a clinical and biological syndrome associated with advancing age and characterized by typical symptoms and a deficiency in serum testosterone levels...
- IPASS: a study on the tolerability and effectiveness of injectable testosterone undecanoate for the treatment of male hypogonadism in a worldwide sample of 1,438 menMichael Zitzmann
Centre for Reproductive Medicine and Andrology, Universitatsklinikum Munster, Munster, Germany
J Sex Med 10:579-88. 2013..Morbidity/mortality is higher in men with below-normal serum testosterone. Restoring testosterone to normal is beneficial...
- Hypogonadism in a patient with two novel mutations of the luteinizing hormone β-subunit gene expressed in a compound heterozygous formSabrina Basciani
Department of Experimental Medicine, Section of Medical Physiopathology and Endocrinology, Sapienza University of Rome, 00161 Rome, Italy
J Clin Endocrinol Metab 97:3031-8. 2012..LH gene mutations are rare; only four mutations have been described. The affected individuals are hypogonadal...
- Anti-müllerian hormone and sertoli cell function in paediatric male hypogonadismRomina P Grinspon
Centro de Investigaciones Endocrinologicas CEDIE, CONICET, Hospital de Ninos Ricardo Gutierrez, Buenos Aires, Argentina
Horm Res Paediatr 73:81-92. 2010..Without stimulation tests, prepubertal hypogonadism can only be evidenced if Sertoli cell function is assessed...
- Primary ovarian dysfunction contributes to the hypogonadism in women with Prader-Willi SyndromeTalia Eldar-Geva
Department of Obstetrics and Gynecology, Shaare Zedek Medical Center, Jerusalem 91031, Israel
Horm Res 72:153-9. 2009To investigate the etiology of hypogonadism in women with Prader-Willi Syndrome (PWS).
- Molecular genetic analysis of normosmic hypogonadotropic hypogonadism in a Turkish population: identification and detailed functional characterization of a novel mutation in the gonadotropin-releasing hormone receptor geneA Kemal Topaloglu
Division of Paediatric Endocrinology and Metabolism, Cukurova University, Faculty of Medicine, Adana, Turkey
Neuroendocrinology 84:301-8. 2006Currently known mutations account for less than 15% of cases with normosmic hypogonadotropic hypogonadism (nIHH). The objective of the study was to identify novel hereditary associations in the pathogenesis of nIHH.
- Exogenous testosterone, cardiovascular events, and cardiovascular risk factors in elderly men: a review of trial dataCulley C Carson
Department of Surgery, Division of Urologic Surgery, University of North Carolina School of Medicine, Chapel Hill, NC 27599 7235, USA
J Sex Med 9:54-67. 2012..Increasing interest in the use of supplemental testosterone has led to a heightened focus on the safety of testosterone in elderly males, with a particular emphasis on cardiovascular risk...
- Idiopathic gonadotrophin deficiency: genetic questions addressed through phenotypic characterizationR Quinton
Department of Endocrinology, Royal Victoria Infirmary, Newcastle upon Tyne, UK
Clin Endocrinol (Oxf) 55:163-74. 2001The association of idiopathic hypogonadotrophic hypogonadism (IHH) with congenital olfactory deficit defines Kallmann's syndrome (KS)...
- Role of sequence variations of the GnRH receptor and G protein-coupled receptor 54 gene in male idiopathic hypogonadotropic hypogonadismFabio Lanfranco
Institute of Reproductive Medicine of the University, D 48129 Munster, Germany
Eur J Endocrinol 153:845-52. 2005To determine the frequency of mutations of the gonadotropin-releasing hormone receptor (GnRHR) and of the G protein-coupled receptor 54 (GPR54) genes in normosmic idiopathic hypogonadotropic hypogonadism (IHH).
- Resistance of hypogonadic patients with mutated GnRH receptor genes to pulsatile GnRH administrationP Caron
Service d Endocrinologie et Maladies Métaboliques, CHU Rangueil, Toulouse, France
J Clin Endocrinol Metab 84:990-6. 1999We have studied a kindred with three siblings with isolated hypogonadotropic hypogonadism caused by compound heterozygote mutations in the GnRH receptor gene. The disorder was transmitted as an autosomal recessive trait...
- Hypogonadism in male patients with cancerJose M Garcia
Department of Medicine, Division of Diabetes, Endocrinology, and Metabolism, Baylor College of Medicine and Michael E DeBakey Veterans Affairs Medical Center, Houston, Texas 77030, USA
Cancer 106:2583-91. 2006Patients with cancer often develop anorexia, fatigue, and decreased muscle mass. These signs and symptoms are nonspecific, and they frequently occur in other conditions, including hypogonadism.
- Two novel mutations in the gonadotropin-releasing hormone receptor gene in Brazilian patients with hypogonadotropic hypogonadism and normal olfactionE M Costa
Unidade de Endocrinologia do Desenvolvimento e Laboratório de Hormônios e Genética Molecular LIM 42, da Disciplina de Endocrinologia do Hospital das Clínicas da Faculdade de Medicina da Universidade de Sao Paulo, Sao Paulo 01060 970, Brazil
J Clin Endocrinol Metab 86:2680-6. 2001..GnRH receptor gene have been described in an autosomal recessive form of congenital isolated hypogonadotropic hypogonadism (HH)...
- Mutation Ala(171)Thr stabilizes the gonadotropin-releasing hormone receptor in its inactive conformation, causing familial hypogonadotropic hypogonadismBeate Karges
INSERM, U 135, Unité de Recherches Hormones Gènes et Reproduction, Hopital de Bicetre, Le Kremlin Bicetre, 94270 Paris, France
J Clin Endocrinol Metab 88:1873-9. 2003..The affected kindred displays severe hypogonadotropic hypogonadism. After in vitro expression in human embryonic kidney 293T cells, the Ala(171)Thr mutant GnRH receptor exhibited ..
- Mutations in the human gonadotropin-releasing hormone receptor: insights into receptor biology and functionGregoy Y Bedecarrats
Department of Animal and Poultry Science, Ontario Agricultural College, University of Guelph, Guelph, Ontario, Canada
Semin Reprod Med 25:368-78. 2007..10 years, 21 loss-of-function GNRHR mutations have been identified in patients with idiopathic hypogonadotropic hypogonadism. Although most patients with hypogonadotropic hypogonadism can be treated by delivery of exogenous pulsatile ..
- Pregnancy and delivery after stimulation with rFSH of a galatosemia patient suffering hypergonadotropic hypogonadism: case reportYves J R Menezo
IRH Laboratoire Marcel Merieux, Bron, France
J Assist Reprod Genet 21:89-90. 2004To determine if hypergonadotropic hypogonadism related to galactosemia could be linked to anomaly of the circulating FSH...
- Testosterone replacement therapy and prostate cancerAbraham Morgentaler
Men s Health Boston, Brookline, MA, USA
Urol Clin North Am 34:555-63, vii. 2007..A saturation model is proposed that is consistent with regression of cancer when T is reduced to castrate levels and with lack of observed growth when serum T is increased...
- Effect of testosterone on insulin sensitivity in men with idiopathic hypogonadotropic hypogonadismMehmet Ilkin Naharci
Department of Internal Medicine, Gulhane School of Medicine, Etlik, Ankara, Turkey
Endocr Pract 13:629-35. 2007To assess the presence of insulin resistance (IR) among a homogeneous cohort of male patients with idiopathic hypogonadotropic hypogonadism (IHH) and to investigate the effects of testosterone therapy on IR in this specific group.
- The dark side of testosterone deficiency: III. Cardiovascular diseaseAbdulmaged M Traish
Department of Biochemistry and Urology, Boston University School of Medicine, Boston, Massachusetts 02118, USA
J Androl 30:477-94. 2009..Low T, whether attributed to hypogonadism or androgen deprivation therapy, in men with prostate carcinoma, produces adverse effects on cardiovascular ..
- A novel mutation in DAX1 causes delayed-onset adrenal insufficiency and incomplete hypogonadotropic hypogonadismA Tabarin
Departement d Endocrinologie, Diabétologie du CHU de Bordeaux, USN Haut Lévêque, 33604 Pessac, France
J Clin Invest 105:321-8. 2000Mutations in the DAX1 gene cause X-linked adrenal hypoplasia congenita (AHC) and hypogonadotropic hypogonadism (HHG)...
- Effect of testosterone replacement therapy on prostate tissue in men with late-onset hypogonadism: a randomized controlled trialLeonard S Marks
Department of Urology, Geffen School of Medicine, University of California, Los Angeles, USA
JAMA 296:2351-61. 2006..Prostate safety is a primary concern when aging men receive testosterone replacement therapy (TRT), but little information is available regarding the effects of TRT on prostate tissue in men...
- Hypogonadism, ED, metabolic syndrome and obesity: a pathological link supporting cardiovascular diseasesG Corona
Andrology Unit, Department of Clinical Physiopathology, University of Florence, Florence, Italy
Int J Androl 32:587-98. 2009b>Hypogonadism, erectile dysfunction (ED), visceral adiposity, insulin resistance and metabolic syndrome (MetS) often coexist in the same subjects...
- Normosmic congenital hypogonadotropic hypogonadism due to TAC3/TACR3 mutations: characterization of neuroendocrine phenotypes and novel mutationsBruno Francou
Univ Paris Sud, Faculté de Médecine Paris Sud UMR S693, Le Kremlin Bicetre, France
PLoS ONE 6:e25614. 2011TAC3/TACR3 mutations have been reported in normosmic congenital hypogonadotropic hypogonadism (nCHH) (OMIM #146110)...
- ISA, ISSAM, EAU, EAA and ASA recommendations: investigation, treatment and monitoring of late-onset hypogonadism in malesC Wang
Division of Endocrinology, Department of Medicine, Harbor UCLA Medical Center, Torrance, CA 90509, USA
Int J Impot Res 21:1-8. 2009..The new ISA, ISSAM, EAU, EAA and ASA recommendations on the investigation, treatment and monitoring of late-onset hypogonadism in males provide updated evidence-based information for clinicians who diagnose and treat patients with adult ..
- Isolated familial hypogonadotropic hypogonadism and a GNRH1 mutationJerome Bouligand
Universite Paris Sud, Faculté de Médecine Paris Sud and Assistance Publique Hôpitaux de Paris, Hopital de Bicetre, INSERM UMR S693, Paris, France
N Engl J Med 360:2742-8. 2009..the gene encoding gonadotropin-releasing hormone 1 (GNRH1) might be responsible for idiopathic hypogonadotropic hypogonadism (IHH) in humans...
- Mutations in the DAX-1 gene give rise to both X-linked adrenal hypoplasia congenita and hypogonadotropic hypogonadismF Muscatelli
ICRF Laboratories, John Radcliffe Hospital, Oxford, UK
Nature 372:672-6. 1994..Hypogonadotropic hypogonadism (HHG) is frequently associated with this disorder but is thought not to be caused by the low adrenal androgen ..
- Heparan sulfate 6-O-sulfotransferase 1, a gene involved in extracellular sugar modifications, is mutated in patients with idiopathic hypogonadotrophic hypogonadismJanne Tornberg
Department of Genetics, Albert Einstein College of Medicine, Bronx, NY 10461, USA
Proc Natl Acad Sci U S A 108:11524-9. 2011..We report here mutations in HS 6-O-sulfotransferase 1 (HS6ST1) in families with idiopathic hypogonadotropic hypogonadism (IHH)...
- A new missense mutation in the leptin gene causes mild obesity and hypogonadism without affecting T cell responsivenessPamela Fischer-Posovszky
Division of Pediatric Endocrinology and Diabetes, University of Ulm, Eythstrasse 24, 89075 Ulm, Germany
J Clin Endocrinol Metab 95:2836-40. 2010..So far, only three homozygous mutations in the leptin gene in a total of 13 individuals have been found leading to a phenotype of extreme obesity with marked hyperphagia and impaired immune function...
- Effects of testosterone undecanoate on cardiovascular risk factors and atherosclerosis in middle-aged men with late-onset hypogonadism and metabolic syndrome: results from a 24-month, randomized, double-blind, placebo-controlled studyAntonio Aversa
Department of Medical Pathophysiology, Sapienza University of Rome, Italy
J Sex Med 7:3495-503. 2010Longitudinal studies have demonstrated that male hypogonadism could be considered a surrogate marker of incident cardiovascular disease.
- WDR11, a WD protein that interacts with transcription factor EMX1, is mutated in idiopathic hypogonadotropic hypogonadism and Kallmann syndromeHyung Goo Kim
Section of Reproductive Endocrinology, Infertility, and Genetics, Department of Obstetrics and Gynecology, Medical College of Georgia, 1120 15th Street, Augusta, Georgia 30912, USA
Am J Hum Genet 87:465-79. 2010..Our findings suggest that impaired pubertal development in these patients results from a deficiency of productive WDR11 protein interaction...
- The metabolic syndrome is frequent in Klinefelter's syndrome and is associated with abdominal obesity and hypogonadismAnders Bojesen
Medical Department M, Endocrinology and Diabetes, Aarhus University Hospital, Noerrebrogade 42 44, DK 8000, Aarhus C, Denmark
Diabetes Care 29:1591-8. 2006..We analyzed differences between patients with untreated Klinefelter's syndrome and control subjects and subsequently analyzed differences between testosterone-treated and untreated Klinefelter's syndrome patients...
- Hypogonadotropic hypogonadism due to a novel missense mutation in the first extracellular loop of the neurokinin B receptorTulay Guran
Pediatric Endocrinology, Marmara University Hospital, Altunizade, 34662 Istanbul, Turkey
J Clin Endocrinol Metab 94:3633-9. 2009..We have recently reported two mutations in transmembrane segments of the receptor and a missense mutation in NKB in patients with normosmic isolated hypogonadotropic hypogonadism (nIHH).
- Reversal of idiopathic hypogonadotropic hypogonadismTaneli Raivio
Harvard Center for Reproductive Endocrine Sciences and the Reproductive Endocrine Unit of the Department of Medicine, Massachusetts General Hospital, Boston 02114, USA
N Engl J Med 357:863-73. 2007Idiopathic hypogonadotropic hypogonadism, which may be associated with anosmia (the Kallmann syndrome) or with a normal sense of smell, is a treatable form of male infertility caused by a congenital defect in the secretion or action of ..
- Defective gonadotropin-releasing hormone neuron migration in mice lacking SEMA3A signalling through NRP1 and NRP2: implications for the aetiology of hypogonadotropic hypogonadismAnna Cariboni
Department of Cell and Developmental Biology, University College London, London, UK
Hum Mol Genet 20:336-44. 2011Kallmann syndrome (KS) is a genetic disease characterized by hypogonadotropic hypogonadism and impaired sense of smell...
- Comparison of screening questionnaires for the diagnosis of hypogonadismJohn E Morley
Division of Geriatric Medicine, Saint Louis University School of Medicine, 1402 S Grand Blvd, M238, St Louis, MO 63104, USA
Maturitas 53:424-9. 2006..AMS) and the Massachusetts Male Aging Study (MMAS), have been developed as potential screening tools for hypogonadism in older males...
- Non-syndromic congenital hypogonadotropic hypogonadism: clinical presentation and genotype-phenotype relationshipsFrédéric Brioude
Université Paris Sud 11 and INSERM U 693, Faculte de Medecine Paris Sud, Le Kremlin Bicetre, France
Eur J Endocrinol 162:835-51. 2010Congenital hypogonadotropic hypogonadism (CHH) results from abnormal gonadotropin secretion, and it is characterized by impaired pubertal development...
- Low incidence of new biochemical and clinical hypogonadism following hypofractionated stereotactic body radiation therapy (SBRT) monotherapy for low- to intermediate-risk prostate cancerEric K Oermann
Department of Radiation Medicine, Georgetown University Hospital, Washington, DC, USA
J Hematol Oncol 4:12. 2011..radiation beams, which could potentially increase transitory testicular irradiation and result in post-therapy hypogonadism. We report on our early experience with CyberKnife SBRT for low- to intermediate-risk prostate cancer patients ..
- The genetic and molecular basis of idiopathic hypogonadotropic hypogonadismSuzy D C Bianco
Department of Molecular and Cellular Pharmacology, Leonard M Miller School of Medicine, University of Miami, Miami, FL, USA
Nat Rev Endocrinol 5:569-76. 2009Idiopathic hypogonadotropic hypogonadism (IHH) has an incidence of 1-10 cases per 100,000 births...
- CHARGE syndrome includes hypogonadotropic hypogonadism and abnormal olfactory bulb developmentG Pinto
Pediatric Endocrinology Unit, Necker Enfants Malades Hospital, Paris, France
J Clin Endocrinol Metab 90:5621-6. 2005....
- One year follow-up study of the association between chemical castration, sex hormones, beta-amyloid, memory and depression in menOsvaldo P Almeida
School of Psychiatry and Clinical Neurosciences, University of Western Australia, Mail Point M573 Level 6, Ainslie House, Royal Perth Hospital, 35 Stirling Highway, Perth, WA 6009, Australia
Psychoneuroendocrinology 29:1071-81. 2004..The performance of subjects on the WL test was negatively correlated with plasma levels of Abeta, but the clinical significance of this finding remains to be determined...
- A deletion truncating the gonadotropin-releasing hormone gene is responsible for hypogonadism in the hpg mouseA J Mason
Science 234:1366-71. 1986Hereditary hypogonadism in the hypogonadal (hpg) mouse is caused by a deletional mutation of at least 33...
- Digenic mutations account for variable phenotypes in idiopathic hypogonadotropic hypogonadismNelly Pitteloud
Reproductive Endocrine Unit of the Department of Medicine and Harvard Reproductive Endocrine Science Centers, Massachusetts General Hospital, Boston, Massachusetts 02114, USA
J Clin Invest 117:457-63. 2007Idiopathic hypogonadotropic hypogonadism (IHH) due to defects of gonadotropin-releasing hormone (GnRH) secretion and/or action is a developmental disorder of sexual maturation...
- Androgen receptor gene CAG repeat length and body mass index modulate the safety of long-term intramuscular testosterone undecanoate therapy in hypogonadal menMichael Zitzmann
Institute of Reproductive Medicine, University Clinics, Muenster D 48149, Germany
J Clin Endocrinol Metab 92:3844-53. 2007..Intramuscular injection of the long-acting ester testosterone undecanoate (TU) offers a new modality...
- Investigation, treatment, and monitoring of late-onset hypogonadism in males: ISA, ISSAM, and EAU recommendationsE Nieschlag
Institute of Reproductive Medicine, University of Munster, Germany
J Androl 27:135-7. 2006
- Dutasteride reduces prostate size and prostate specific antigen in older hypogonadal men with benign prostatic hyperplasia undergoing testosterone replacement therapyStephanie T Page
Department of Medicine, University of Washington, Seattle, Washington, USA
J Urol 186:191-7. 2011Benign prostatic hyperplasia and hypogonadism are common disorders in aging men. There is concern that androgen replacement in older men may increase prostate size and symptoms of benign prostatic hyperplasia...
- Hypogonadism, quadriceps weakness, and exercise intolerance in chronic obstructive pulmonary diseaseMonique Van Vliet
Respiratory Rehabilitation, University Hospital Gasthuisberg, Herestraat 49, B 3000, Leuven, Belgium
Am J Respir Crit Care Med 172:1105-11. 2005..Moreover, the relationship of hypogonadism with quadriceps muscle weakness and exercise intolerance has been studied scarcely in men with COPD.
- Gonadal status and physical performance in older menMarcello Maggio
Department of Internal Medicine and Biomedical Sciences, Section of Geriatrics, University of Parma, Italy
Aging Male 14:42-7. 2011..To test the relationship between gonadal status and objective measures and determinants of physical performance in older men and their determinants...
- A randomized, double-blind, placebo-controlled study of testosterone treatment in hypogonadal older men with subthreshold depression (dysthymia or minor depression)Molly M Shores
Geriatric Research, Education, and Clinical Center, Veterans Affairs VA Puget Sound Health Care System, Seattle, Wash 98108, USA
J Clin Psychiatry 70:1009-16. 2009b>Hypogonadism and subthreshold depression are common conditions in elderly men. The objective of this study was to examine the effect of testosterone treatment in older, hypogonadal men with subthreshold depression.
- Estradiol levels in men with congenital hypogonadotropic hypogonadism and the effects of different modalities of hormonal treatmentSéverine Trabado
Paris Sud University, Faculte de Medecine Paris Sud, Laboratoire de Genetique Moleculaire, Pharmacogénétique et Hormonologie, Assistance Publique Hopitaux de Paris, Hopital de Bicetre, Le Kremlin Bicetre, France
Fertil Steril 95:2324-9, 2329.e1-3. 2011To evaluate the degree of E2 deficiency in male congenital hypogonadotropic hypogonadism (CHH), and its response to different hormonal treatments.
- Congenital idiopathic hypogonadotropic hypogonadism: evidence of defects in the hypothalamus, pituitary, and testesGerasimos P Sykiotis
Harvard Reproductive Endocrine Sciences Center and the Reproductive Endocrine Unit of the Department of Medicine, Massachusetts General Hospital, Boston, Massachusetts 02114, USA
J Clin Endocrinol Metab 95:3019-27. 2010Idiopathic hypogonadotropic hypogonadism (IHH) with normal smell (normosmic IHH) or anosmia (Kallmann syndrome) is associated with defects in the production or action of GnRH...
- Inhibition of bone formation by Prx1Mark S Nanes; Fiscal Year: 2013..S. each year on skeletal morbidity. In the inflammatory states of arthritis, aging, and hypogonadism, fractures are common and healing is impaired...
- Mechanisms of Bone Loss from Administration of the Second-Generation AntipsychotiKATHERINE JEAN MOTYL; Fiscal Year: 2013..Side effects from these medications include hyperprolactinemia, hypogonadism, and obesity...
- Modulation of immune senescence by androgen treatment in aged male macaquesHenryk F Urbanski; Fiscal Year: 2013..Although ~70% of men over the age of 80 meet the clinical definition of hypogonadism, there is controversy over treating this population...
- Transcriptional control of pituitary gonadotropin genesVarykina G Thackray; Fiscal Year: 2013..that can result from malfunction in gonadotropin production, such as amenorrhea, precocious puberty, ideopathic hypogonadism, and polycystic ovarian syndrome...
- Vitamin D3 Regulation of the Hypothalamic-Pituitary-Gonadal AxisGenevieve S Neal-Perry; Fiscal Year: 2012..Phenotypes in VDR and CYP27b1 knockout mice include hypogonadism, arrested ovarian follicular development and hypoplastic uteri...
- GENETICS OF DELAYED PUBERTYLawrence C Layman; Fiscal Year: 2013..Idiopathic hypogonadotropic hypogonadism (IHH) represents a naturally occurring human model of impaired GnRH action which provides insight into ..
- MOUSE MODEL FOR DISEASES OF PROTEIN MISFOLDINGP Michael Conn; Fiscal Year: 2012..Diseases caused by misfolding (which may benefit from this approach) include cystic fibrosis, hypogonadotropic hypogonadism, nephrogenic diabetes insipidus, retinitis pigmentosa, hypercholesterolemia, cataracts, neurodegenerative ..
- Endothelin-1 and androgen in prostate cancer bone metastasis and bone healthGregory A Clines; Fiscal Year: 2013..inactivation resulted in higher appendicular bone accrual in gonad-intact males but lower bone accrual with hypogonadism. Since androgen deprivation therapy (ADT) is a standard mode of therapy in men with advance castrate-resistant ..
- Calcium Signaling in the Pubertal Activation of the GnRH Pulse GeneratorDaniel J Spergel; Fiscal Year: 2011..for contraception, as well as treatments for infertility and the pubertal disorders polycystic ovary syndrome, hypogonadism, precocious puberty, and delayed puberty, which possibly result from an abnormal increase in GnRH secretion...
- Pharmacology of Risperidone Effects on Bone Remodeling and Energy MetabolismKaren L Houseknecht; Fiscal Year: 2013..1) by directly interacting with bone cells and uncoupling bone remodeling;[2) via hyper-prolactinemia induced hypogonadism] and 3) by modulating the sympathetic nervous system output to bone...
- A PANHYPOPITUITARY MOUSE MUTATIONSally A Camper; Fiscal Year: 2013..Gain of function alleles cause transient hypogonadism, delayed puberty, and increased risk of pituitary adenomas, the most common type of intracranial tumor in ..
- Oxymax System with Teadmill for Quantifying Exercise in MiceNeil B Ruderman; Fiscal Year: 2012..with androgen supplementation in synergistic activation of anabolic signaling in the rodent models of hypogonadism. The instrument will also be used to examine the basis for the beneficial effects of exercise in mice with ..
- CYP19A1 gene and Pharmacogenetics of ResponseREINA C VILLAREAL; Fiscal Year: 2013..incidence of testosterone deficiency goes up with aging and the presence of co-morbid conditions making male hypogonadism one of the common problems among patients attending the VA clinics who are for the most part, elderly with ..
- Integration of PR and FoxO Signaling in Pituitary GonadotropesVarykina G Thackray; Fiscal Year: 2010..to new directions in treating a range of physiological disorders that can result from malfunction in gonadotropin production such as amenorrhea, precocious puberty, ideopathic hypogonadism, polycystic ovarian syndrome and infertility.
- NEUROSECRETORY GENE EXPRESSION IN THE HYPOTHALAMUSPamela L Mellon; Fiscal Year: 2013..This multifaceted approach should yield a comprehensive understanding of the program of GnRH neuronal migration and cell fate in vivo and in vitro and provide insight into the genetics of hypogonadotropic hypogonadism.
- Characterization of Chd7 in central nervous system neural stem cellsJOSEPH ANTHONY MICUCCI; Fiscal Year: 2013..disorders including autism spectrum disorder and Kallmann Syndrome, which is characterized by hypogondotropic hypogonadism. Chd7 is emerging as a global regulator of neurogenesis in both the subventricular zone and in sensory ..
- Neural basis of leptin action on reproductionCarol Fuzeti Elias; Fiscal Year: 2013..Deletion of Kiss1 or Kiss1r genes results in hypogonadism, abnormal sexual maturation and decreased circulating levels of sex steroids and gonadotropins...
- Neuroendocrine regulation of the reproductive axis during puberty and developmentAlexander S Kauffman; Fiscal Year: 2013..This information could provide important insight into the mechanisms underlying hypogonadotropic hypogonadism, precious puberty, and delayed puberty.
- Melatonin in Menopausal DepressionBarbara L Parry; Fiscal Year: 2012..dark periods at night in winter, menopausal DP have increased melatonin duration, extended sleep time, recent hypogonadism, higher Follicle Stimulating Hormone (FSH) levels and Body Mass Index (BMI) that correlate with depression ..
- Exploring the Role of the Prokineticin System in Human ReproductionANA PAULA DE ABREU E SILVA METZGER; Fiscal Year: 2013..My first aim is to define the role of the PROKR2 heterozygous mutations in isolated hypogonadotropic hypogonadism (IHH), testing the hypothesis that heterozygous mutations in PROKR2 in patients with GnRH deficiency are not ..
- Vervet Monkey: Modeling Effects of Diet-Induced Obesity on ReproductionAlex Joel Polotsky; Fiscal Year: 2011..This relative hypogonadotropic hypogonadism of obesity is only partially understood...
- Circadian Regulation of Gonadotropin-Releasing HormonePatrick E Chappell; Fiscal Year: 2010..malfunction of hypothalamic neurosecretion, including polycystic ovarian syndrome (PCOS) and primary idiopathic hypogonadism, both of which have been associated with atypical hormone release patterns...
- Sexual differentiation and development of reproductive neural circuitsSheila J Semaan; Fiscal Year: 2011..also provide novel insight into potential mechanisms underlying sexually differentiated reproductive disorders, such as hypogonadotropic hypogonadism (more common in men) and precocious puberty (more common in girls).
- The Role of GPR54 Signaling in Pubertal DisordersSUZY DRUMOND CARVALHO BIANCO; Fiscal Year: 2010..in GPR54, one identified in a patient with precocious puberty, and the other in a patient with hypogonadotropic hypogonadism, on these pathways will be determined...
- Trajectory of Adverse events and Analgesia with Opioids in older adults - TAANGORichard A Deyo; Fiscal Year: 2013..Recent studies highlight several long-term adverse events, including overdose risk, hypogonadism, falls and fractures, and neuropsychological effects such as cognitive impairment, depression, sleep ..
- Testosterone effects on insulin sensitivity &inflammation in T2DM and obesityParesh Dandona; Fiscal Year: 2012DESCRIPTION (provided by applicant): Hypogonadotropic hypogonadism (HH) occurs in approximately one-third of obese and type 2 diabetic men...
- Cross-talk between Leptin and Estrogen Signaling in Hypothalamic Arcuate NeuronsOline K Ronnekleiv; Fiscal Year: 2013..deficiency and/or loss of leptin function due to mutations in leptin can cause obesity and hypogonadotropic hypogonadism. Hypothalamic hypogonadism and its associated disturbances can be reversed by administration of leptin...
- Pathophysiologic Regulation of Fgf-23 in Phosphate Homeostasis: Role of Vitamin DBeate Lanske; Fiscal Year: 2012..D, multiple soft tissue calcifications and ectopic bone nodule formation, osteopenia, osteoidosis, hypogonadism, and a short life span...
- The role of FGF signaling in neuroendocrine control of reproductionNelly Pitteloud; Fiscal Year: 2012..of humans with GnRH deficiency (Kallmann's Syndrome [KS] and normosmic idiopathic hypogonadotropic hypogonadism [nIHH]) have provided unique insights into the genes controlling sexual maturation (KAL1, GNRHR, FGFR1, and ..
- 2010 Fibroblast Growth Factors in Development and Diseases Gordon Research ConferMoosa Mohammadi; Fiscal Year: 2010..aberrant FGF signaling in developmental/hereditary diseases, including skeletal syndromes, hearing loss, and hypogonadism;and 6) roles of FGF signaling in various cancers...
- Identification of Novel Loci Interacting with the Kallmann Syndrome Gene Kal-1CARLOS ANTONIO DIAZ-BALZAC; Fiscal Year: 2013..Syndrome is a hereditary condition characterized by anosmia (the inability to smell) and hypogonadotropic hypogonadism resulting in infertility...
- Physiologic effects of androgen and estrogen deficiency in young and old menJoel S Finkelstein; Fiscal Year: 2011..Moreover, results from these studies will help define the syndrome of male hypogonadism, assist clinicians in deciding when to treat young and old men with testosterone, and provide essential ..
- Clinical and Basic Studies in Male ReproductionGEORGE STANLEY MCKNIGHT; Fiscal Year: 2011..relevance to understanding certain disorders of human reproduction, including idiopathic hypogonadotropic hypogonadism, androgen insensitivity syndrome, meiotic arrest, Sertoli cell only syndrome, and oligospermia or azoospermia...
- Partitioning of Misfolded Membrane Proteins Between Different Degradatory FatesSCOTT ANDREW HOUCK; Fiscal Year: 2013..In addition, there are twenty-three known disease (hypogonadotropic hypogonadism) causing GnRHR mutations and many cause misfolding...
- Adverse Events Associated with Testosterone Treatment in Hypogonadal MenTHOMAS JAMES WALSH; Fiscal Year: 2013..Given the high prevalence of hypogonadism and increasing number of T-treated men, this study will provide crucial data to clarify risks of T treatment ..
- Fat Mediated Modulation of Reproductive and Endocrine Function in Young AthletesMadhusmita Misra; Fiscal Year: 2013..Our preliminary data indicate the importance of low fat mass and fat related hormones in mediating hypogonadism in young athletes...
- Hypogonadism and Pain Perception in Androgen-Deprived Men with Prostate CancerRobert R Edwards; Fiscal Year: 2013..is seen even in those androgen-deprived men without any metastatic disease, these findings implicate profound hypogonadism as the main etiology for these symptoms...
- EXPRESSION OF AN FSH ANALOG WITH A REROUTED SECRETION PATTERN IN TRANSGENIC MICEIRVING NMN BOIME; Fiscal Year: 2010..In addition, pathologies in which there is hyper- or hypogonadism can likely be attributed to aberrant secretion of FSH and/or LH from the pituitary.
- Kisspeptin Physiology in the HumanStephanie Beth Seminara; Fiscal Year: 2013..mouse, mutations in GPR54 cause a failure of the normal patterns of pulsatile GnRH release and hypogonadotropic hypogonadism. The ligand of GPR54 is kisspeptin--the impact of kisspeptin/GPR54 on GnRH secretion is well conserved across ..
- High Throughput Screening Assay Development for PharmacoperonesP Michael Conn; Fiscal Year: 2012..assays will be useful for treatment of two rare diseases, nephrogenic diabetes insipidus and hypogonadotropic hypogonadism, each caused by an inborn error...
- Developing Neuroendocrine Brain, Androgen, and Fibroblast Growth Factor SignalingWILSON CHUNG; Fiscal Year: 2010..signaling has been implicated in the Kallmann syndrome, a human disease characterized by hypogonadotropic and hypogonadism associated with anosmia...
- Kisspeptin Physiology in Human ReproductionStephanie Beth Seminara; Fiscal Year: 2013..in the kisspeptin-GPR54 signaling pathway result in an absence of pubertal development and hypogonadotropic hypogonadism across mammalian species...
- GENETICS OF DELAYED PUBERTYLAWRENCE LAYMAN; Fiscal Year: 2001DESCRIPTION (Adapted from the Investigator's Abstract): Idiopathic hypogonadotropic hypogonadism (IHH) is due to a deficiency of GnRH. The major goal of this proposal is to isolate the gene(s) important in the genesis of IHH...
- NOVEL FACTORS THAT REGULATE GNRH NEURONAL DEVELOPMENTMargaret E Wierman; Fiscal Year: 2010..new preliminary data that human subjects with Kallmann Syndrome (KS) and normosmic idiopathic hypogonadotropic hypogonadism (nIHH) harbor mutations in Axl, supporting the importance of understanding the role of the TAM system in ..
- THE NEUROENDOCRINE CONTROL OF REPRODUCTION IN THE HUMANWilliam Francis Crowley; Fiscal Year: 2012..with GnRH deficiency exhibit a variety of clinical syndromes including normosmic Idiopathic Hypogonadotropic Hypogonadism (nIHH), Kallmann's Syndrome (KS) and Acquired Hypogonadotropic Aypogonadism (AHH)...
- TESTOSTERONE EFFECTS ON DIAPHRAGM MUSCLE FATIGUECesar Blanco; Fiscal Year: 2002..Clinically, they are used to treat hypogonadism, age-related decrements in muscle function, AIDS-related muscle wasting and, muscle wasting associated with ..
- Regulation of Immediate Early Genes by GnRH in the GonadotropeDjurdjica Coss; Fiscal Year: 2009..disorders such as infertility, precocious puberty, polycystic ovarian syndrome, and hypogonadotropic hypogonadism. Thus, understanding the molecular mechanisms governing gonadotrope gene expression will lead to insight into ..
- ETIOLOGY, HORMONAL CRITERIA OF 3 BETA HSD DEFICIENCYSongya Pang; Fiscal Year: 2002..adrenal hyperplasia (CAH) ranges from the severe form manifesting ambiguous genitalia, salt-wasting, and hypogonadism to the less severe form manifesting premature pubarche (PP), pubertal onset hirsutism and menstrual disorder...
- TESTOSTERONE EFFECTS ON GONADOTROPINS AND LIPIDS IN MENCARRIE BAGATELL; Fiscal Year: 1992..We will study men with idiopathic hypothalamic hypogonadism (IHH) who receive pulsatile GnRH infusions...
- Genotype /phenotype correlations in infertilityLAWRENCE LAYMAN; Fiscal Year: 2006..The applicant will study two groups of infertile patients: those with idiopathic hypogonadotropic hypogonadism (LHH) and those with normal puberty who have ovulation disorders or sperm abnormalities...
- A DIAGNOSTIC TEST TO ASSESS RISK ASSOCIATED WITH ANDROGEN THERAPYMeharvan Singh; Fiscal Year: 2007..androgens are used in both men and women, and in addition to their use in treating primary (or secondary) hypogonadism the potential benefit of increasing bone mineral density, inducing greater muscle mass and strength, enhancing ..
- Serum Sex Hormones and Cardiovascular Risk in the MACSAdrian Dobs; Fiscal Year: 2009..We were one of the first groups to report an increased prevalence of hypogonadism in the HIV-infected men, which was eventually found to result in poor quality of life, decreased lean body mass ..
- ROLE OF G PROTEINS IN PROLACTIN SIGNAL TRANSDUCTIONJennifer Larsen; Fiscal Year: 1993Hyperprolactinemia is an important cause of hypogonadism and infertility in men and women...
- MOOD EFFECT OF TESTOSTERONE VS FLUOXETINE IN HIV ILLNESSJudith Rabkin; Fiscal Year: 2000..controlled clinical trial for HIV-positive patients with major depression as well as clinical symptoms of hypogonadism. In the first 2 years of the ongoing testosterone grant, the investigators treated HIV-positive men with ..
- Telephone Counseling to Manage GnRH Agonist Symptom Clusters in Black Men w/ PCaERNEST BENNETT; Fiscal Year: 2009..GnRH agonist therapy produces hypogonadism with the intent to slow disease progression but makes men vulnerable to adverse physical, mood, and sexual ..
- Newborn Screening for Sex Chromosome DisordersScott Rivkees; Fiscal Year: 2006..Phenotypic features include primary hypogonadism, renal abnormalities, and profound short stature...
- Mechanism(s) of AR gene repression in prostate cancerBRYAN WITTMANN; Fiscal Year: 2009..Thus, although androgens have clinical utility for the treatment of hypogonadism and cachexia, the untoward side effects with respect to prostate function have limited their use...
- FACTORS REGULATING SYNTHESIS AND SECRETION OF LH AND FSHTORRANCE NETT; Fiscal Year: 1992..To develop novel strategies for contraception, as well as efficacious treatments for hypothalamic-pituitary hypogonadism it is essential to obtain a more in-depth understanding of the mechanisms for regulation of gonadotropin ..
- Fetal Basis of Sexual Dysfunction: Brain DifferentiationD N Rao Veeramachaneni; Fiscal Year: 2007..gonadotropin-releasing hormone (GnRH) system by environmental and genetic influences can produce hypothalamic hypogonadism and infertility...
- GNRH DEFICIENCY --CORRECTION BY PREOPTIC AREA GRAFTSMARIE GIBSON; Fiscal Year: 1999The hypogonadism and infertility of the adult hypogonadal (hpg) mouse is correctable by intracerebral implantation of perinatal normal brain tissue that contains gonadotropin-releasing hormone (GnRH) neurons...
- Otx2 in the development & regulation of the GnRH neuronAndrew Wolfe; Fiscal Year: 2002..A failure of GnRH neuronal migration from the olfactory placode results in a form of X-linked hypogonadotropic hypogonadism, associated with anosmia, Kallmann's Syndrome...
- BONE MINERAL IN GONADAL, THYROID AND PARATHYROID DISEASEPeter Snyder; Fiscal Year: 1990..the lumbar spine, the axial integral and trabecular mineral content in male patients with primary and pituitary hypogonadism, and in patients of both sexes who have had thyroid disease of have hyperparathyroidism...
- DEPRESSION AND HYPOGONADISMBernard Harlow; Fiscal Year: 1999..Understanding the relationship between major depression and declining ovarian function may help to provide meaningful avenues of intervention. ..
- HAART, Acid Loading, and Bone MetabolismRobert Neer; Fiscal Year: 2005..The etiology of bone loss in HIV remains poorly understood but risk factors include cytokine activation, hypogonadism, malnutrition, physical inactivity, intestinal malabsorption and weight loss...