Genomes and Genes
Summary: Tumors or cancer of the TESTIS. Germ cell tumors (GERMINOMA) of the testis constitute 95% of all testicular neoplasms.
Articles from Journal RESEARCH
Articles from Journal RESEARCH1
Publications396 found, 100 shown here
- p53 inactivation by MDM2 and MDMX negative feedback loops in testicular germ cell tumorsBaozong Li
Molecular Oncology Department, Moffitt Cancer Center, Tampa, FL, USA
Cell Cycle 9:1411-20. 2010..Furthermore, TGCT cells are unique in having a strong apoptosis response to p53. Direct activation of p53 by targeting MDM2 and MDMX may provide a backup approach for the treatment of TGCTs resistant to DNA-damaging drugs...
- Testicular germ-cell tumours in a broader perspectiveJ Wolter Oosterhuis
Department of Pathology, Erasmus MC, University Medical Center Rotterdam, Daniel den Hoed Cancer Center, Josephine Nefkens Institute, Dr Molewaterplein 50, 3015 GE Rotterdam, The Netherlands
Nat Rev Cancer 5:210-22. 2005..Recent progress begins to explain the apparent unpredictable development of germ-cell tumours and offers a basis for understanding their exquisite sensitivity to therapy...
- Common variation in KITLG and at 5q31.3 predisposes to testicular germ cell cancerPeter A Kanetsky
Department of Biostatistics and Epidemiology, University of Pennsylvania School of Medicine, Philadelphia, PA, USA
Nat Genet 41:811-5. 2009..All of the genotypes were associated with both seminoma and nonseminoma TGCT subtypes. These results demonstrate that common genetic variants affect TGCT risk and implicate KITLG and SPRY4 as genes involved in TGCT susceptibility...
- Variants near DMRT1, TERT and ATF7IP are associated with testicular germ cell cancerClare Turnbull
Section of Cancer Genetics, Institute of Cancer Research, Sutton, Surrey, UK
Nat Genet 42:604-7. 2010..Finally, we identified a locus on chromosome 9 (rs755383, OR=1.37, P=1.12x10(-23)), containing the sex determination gene DMRT1, which has been linked to teratoma susceptibility in mice...
- NORDCAN--a Nordic tool for cancer information, planning, quality control and researchGerda Engholm
NORDCAN Secretariat, Department of Cancer Prevention and Documentation, Danish Cancer Society, Strandboulevarden 49, Copenhagen Ø, Denmark
Acta Oncol 49:725-36. 2010....
- A genome-wide association study of men with symptoms of testicular dysgenesis syndrome and its network biology interpretationMarlene D Dalgaard
Department of Growth and Reproduction, Rigshospitalet, Copenhagen, Denmark
J Med Genet 49:58-65. 2012..The incidence of these disorders has increased over the last few decades, and testicular cancer now affects 1% of the Danish and Norwegian male population...
- The DM domain protein DMRT1 is a dose-sensitive regulator of fetal germ cell proliferation and pluripotencyAnthony D Krentz
Department of Genetics, Developmental Biology Center, and Masonic Cancer Center, University of Minnesota, Minneapolis, MN 55455, USA
Proc Natl Acad Sci U S A 106:22323-8. 2009..This work reveals a genetic link between testicular dysgenesis, pluripotency regulation, and teratoma susceptibility that is highly sensitive to genetic background and to gene dosage...
- Malignant germ cell tumors display common microRNA profiles resulting in global changes in expression of messenger RNA targetsRoger D Palmer
Medical Research Council Cancer Cell Unit, Hills Road, Cambridge CB2 0XZ, United Kingdom
Cancer Res 70:2911-23. 2010..05). We conclude that the miR-371-373 and miR-302 clusters are universally overexpressed in malignant GCTs and coordinately downregulate mRNAs involved in biologically significant pathways...
- Insulin-like growth factor-I, regulating aromatase expression through steroidogenic factor 1, supports estrogen-dependent tumor Leydig cell proliferationRosa Sirianni
Department of Pharmaco Biology, University of Calabria, Arcavacata di Rende, Cosenza, Italy
Cancer Res 67:8368-77. 2007..The identification of this molecular mechanism will be helpful in defining new therapeutic approaches for Leydig cell tumors...
- European consensus conference on diagnosis and treatment of germ cell cancer: a report of the second meeting of the European Germ Cell Cancer Consensus group (EGCCCG): part ISusanne Krege
Department of Urology, Krankenhaus Maria Hilf, Krefeld, Germany
Eur Urol 53:478-96. 2008..In November 2006, the group met a second time under the auspices of the Department of Urology of the Amsterdam Medical Center, Amsterdam, The Netherlands...
- Medical treatment of advanced testicular cancerDarren R Feldman
Genitourinary Oncology Service, Division of Solid Tumor Oncology, Department of Medicine, Memorial Sloan Kettering Cancer Center, New York, New York 10065, USA
JAMA 299:672-84. 2008..Clinicians need to be familiar with the available treatment regimens for testicular cancer and their associated toxic effects...
- Cardiovascular risk factors and morbidity in long-term survivors of testicular cancer: a 20-year follow-up studyHege S Haugnes
Department of Oncology, Institute of Clinical Medicine, University of Tromsø, Tromsø, Norway
J Clin Oncol 28:4649-57. 2010..To evaluate the prevalence of cardiovascular risk factors and long-term incidence of cardiovascular disease (CVD) in survivors of testicular cancer (TC)...
- GPR30 is overexpressed in post-puberal testicular germ cell tumorsRenato Franco
Istituto Nazionale dei Tumori Fondazione G Pascale, Universita di Napoli Federico II, Naples, Italy
Cancer Biol Ther 11:609-13. 2011....
- GPR30, the non-classical membrane G protein related estrogen receptor, is overexpressed in human seminoma and promotes seminoma cell proliferationNicolas Chevalier
Institut National de la Santé et de la Recherche Médicale UMR U1065 UNS, Centre Méditerranéen de Médecine Moléculaire, équipe 5 Environnement, Reproduction et Cancers Hormono dépendants, Nice, France
PLoS ONE 7:e34672. 2012..The aim of this study was to demonstrate that GPER was overexpressed in testicular tumours and was able to trigger JKT-1 seminoma cell proliferation...
- DICER1 RNase IIIb domain mutations are infrequent in testicular germ cell tumoursCarmela M de Boer
Center for Reproduction and Development, Monash Institute of Medical Research, Monash University, Clayton, Australia
BMC Res Notes 5:569. 2012..Additional analysis of 14 TGCT DNA samples identified one case that also contained a mutation at one of these sites...
- Familial risk in testicular cancer as a clue to a heritable and environmental aetiologyK Hemminki
Department of Biosciences at Novum, Karolinska Institute, 141 57 Huddinge, Sweden
Br J Cancer 90:1765-70. 2004..The high familial risk may be the product of shared childhood environment and heritable causes. Familial cases of fraternal pairs with an early-onset teratoma represent a challenge for gene identification...
- The Y deletion gr/gr and susceptibility to testicular germ cell tumorKatherine L Nathanson
Department of Medicine, Abramson Family Cancer Research Institute, University of Pennsylvania, Philadelphia, PA 19104, USA
Am J Hum Genet 77:1034-43. 2005..0; 95% CI 1.6-5.4; P = .0004) than with nonseminoma TGCT (aOR 1.5; 95% CI 0.72-3.0; P = .29). These data indicate that the Y microdeletion gr/gr is a rare, low-penetrance allele that confers susceptibility to TGCT...
- Testicular dysgenesis syndrome: an increasingly common developmental disorder with environmental aspectsN E Skakkebaek
Department of Growth and Reproduction, Copenhagen University Hospital, Copenhagen, Denmark
Hum Reprod 16:972-8. 2001..Otherwise, important biological information may be lost...
- Nestin, a neuroectodermal stem cell marker molecule, is expressed in Leydig cells of the human testis and in some specific cell types from human testicular tumoursMaria V T Lobo
Departamento de Biología Celular y Genética, Universidad de Alcala, 28871 Alcala de Henares, Madrid, Spain
Cell Tissue Res 316:369-76. 2004..Thus, nestin is expressed in a population of normal and hyperplastic Leydig cells and in Sertoli cells in the presence of intratubular germ-cell neoplasia. Nestin may be a good marker for identifying components of testicular teratomas...
- The metabolic syndrome and disturbances in hormone levels in long-term survivors of disseminated testicular cancerJanine Nuver
Department of Medical Oncology, University Hospital Groningen, Hanzeplein 1, PO Box 30 001, 9700 RB Groningen, The Netherlands
J Clin Oncol 23:3718-25. 2005..The metabolic syndrome may be an important risk factor for cardiovascular disease in long-term survivors of testicular cancer (TC). We investigated the associations between hormone levels and the metabolic syndrome in these men...
- Side effects and cancer-related stress determine quality of life in long-term survivors of testicular cancerArnstein Mykletun
The Norwegian Radium Hospital, Montebello, N 0310 Oslo, Norway
J Clin Oncol 23:3061-8. 2005..We wanted to examine variation in long-term QOL in TCSs in relation to TC treatment modality, side effects, and TC-related stress in a large population...
- KIT and RAS signalling pathways in testicular germ cell tumours: new data and a review of the literatureN C Goddard
Molecular Cytogenetics, Section of Molecular Carcinogenesis, The Institute of Cancer Research, Sutton, Surrey SM2 5NG, UK
Int J Androl 30:337-48; discussion 349. 2007..Reducing the expression of KIT in TCam-2 through RNA inhibition resulted in decreased cell viability. Further understanding of KIT and RAS signalling in TGCTs may lead to novel therapeutic approaches for these tumours...
- Endocrine-disrupting chemicals and testicular cancer: a case-control studyFiametta Nori
Department of Animal and Human Biology and John Osborn is with the Institute of Hygiene Sanarelli, University of Rome La Sapienza, Rome, Italy
Arch Environ Occup Health 61:87-95. 2006....
- Gene expression profiling identifies new biological markers of neoplastic germ cellsKatharina Biermann
Institute of Pathology, University Hospital Bonn, Sigmund Freud Strasse 25, 53127 Bonn, Germany
Anticancer Res 27:3091-100. 2007..There is only limited knowledge about gene expression in human testicular germ cell tumors of adolescents and adults (TGCTs), and, in particular in its preinvasive stage intratubular germ cell neoplasia unclassified (IGCNU)...
- Genomic copy number and expression patterns in testicular germ cell tumoursA McIntyre
Molecular Cytogenetics, Section of Molecular Carcinogenesis, The Institute of Cancer Research, Sutton, Surrey, UK
Br J Cancer 97:1707-12. 2007..Mining available expression array data identified genes from these regions as candidates for involvement in TGCT development. Supplementary data is available at http://www.crukdmf.icr.ac.uk/array/array.html...
- Genital anomalies in boys and the environmentKatharina M Main
University Department of Growth and Reproduction GR, Section 5064, Rigshospitalet, Blegdamsvej 9, DK 2100 Copenhagen, Denmark
Best Pract Res Clin Endocrinol Metab 24:279-89. 2010..It may be the cocktail effect of many simultaneous exposures that result in adverse effects, especially during foetal life and infancy...
- Down-regulation of oestrogen receptor-β associates with transcriptional co-regulator PATZ1 delocalization in human testicular seminomasFrancesco Esposito
Dipartimento di Medicina Sperimentale, II Universita di Napoli, Naples, Italy
J Pathol 224:110-20. 2011....
- A stratified genetic risk assessment for testicular cancerC P Kratz
Clinical Genetics Branch, Division of Cancer Epidemiology and Genetics, National Cancer Institute, National Institutes of Health, Rockville, MD 20852, USA
Int J Androl 34:e98-102. 2011..More research is required before we can utilize testicular cancer-risk loci for clinically meaningful risk prediction...
- The testicular germ cell tumour transcriptomeS Alagaratnam
Department of Cancer Prevention, Institute for Cancer Research, Norwegian Radium Hospital, Oslo, Norway
Int J Androl 34:e133-50; discussion e150-1. 2011..This underlines the distinctive transcriptomic programme across histological subtypes, especially striking given that the TGCT genome is largely similar across the same subtypes...
- Identification of the estrogen receptor GPER in neoplastic and non-neoplastic human testesVittoria Rago
Department of Cell Biology, Faculty of Pharmacy, University of Calabria, Italy
Reprod Biol Endocrinol 9:135. 2011..Recently, a G-protein-coupled-receptor (GPER) has been suggested as being involved in rapid responses to estrogens in different normal and tumor cells...
- Glial cell line-derived neurotrophic factor promotes invasive behaviour in testicular seminoma cellsF Ferranti
Department of Anatomy, Histology, Forensic Medicine and Orthopedic, Section of Histology, Fondazione Pasteur Cenci Bolognetti, Sapienza University of Rome, Rome, Italy
Int J Androl 35:758-68. 2012..GFRA1 over-expression in CIS and seminoma cells, along with the functional analyses in TCam-2 cells, suggests an involvement of the GDNF pathway in the progression of testicular germ cell cancer...
- Curing metastatic testicular cancerLawrence H Einhorn
Indiana University Medical Center, 535 Barnhill Drive, RT 473, Indianapolis, IN 46202 5289, USA
Proc Natl Acad Sci U S A 99:4592-5. 2002..In the early 1970s, metastatic testicular cancer was associated with only 5% survival. Today, with modern chemotherapy and surgery techniques, 80% of patients will survive their disease...
- Testis cancerMitchell H Sokoloff
Section of Urologic Oncology, Division of Urology and Renal Transplantation, Department of Surgery, Oregon Health and Sciences University, 3181 Southwest Sam Jackson Park Road, Portland, OR 97239, USA
J Urol 177:2030-41. 2007..We quantified the burden of testis cancer in the United States by identifying trends in its incidence, its treatment and the use of health care resources to estimate the economic impact of the disease...
- Stem cell factor as a novel diagnostic marker for early malignant germ cellsH Stoop
Department of Pathology, Erasmus MC Erasmus University Medical Center, Daniel den Hoed Cancer Center, Josephine Nefkens Institute, Rotterdam, The Netherlands
J Pathol 216:43-54. 2008..SCF immunohistochemistry can be a valuable diagnostic tool, in addition to OCT3/4, to screen for precursor lesions of TGCTs, especially in patients with germ cell maturation delay...
- A mini-review of familial ovarian germ cell tumors: an additional manifestation of the familial testicular germ cell tumor syndromeClaudia Giambartolomei
Clinical Genetics Branch, Division of Cancer Epidemiology and Genetics, National Cancer Institute, Rockville, MD 20852, USA
Cancer Epidemiol 33:31-6. 2009..In this paper, we investigate the familial occurrence of testicular and ovarian germ cell tumors...
- Predisposition alleles for Testicular Germ Cell TumourElizabeth A Rapley
Testicular Cancer Genetics Team, Section of Cancer Genetics, Institute of Cancer Research, Sutton, Surrey, UK
Curr Opin Genet Dev 20:225-30. 2010..The genome-wide association studies for this cancer are noteworthy, because of the high effect sizes demonstrated at each loci and the biological plausibility of the genes at or near the associated SNPs, particularly KITLG...
- Genome-wide association studies provide new insights into the genetic basis of testicular germ-cell tumourC Turnbull
Section of Cancer Genetics, Institute of Cancer Research, Sutton, UK
Int J Androl 34:e86-96; discussion e96-7. 2011....
- Treatment of patients with relapsed and/or cisplatin-refractory metastatic germ cell tumours: an updateD Koychev
Universitatsklinikum Hamburg Eppendorf, Hubertus Wald Tumorcenter, Oncology, Haematology and Bone Marrow Transplantation with Section Pulmology, Hamburg, Germany
Int J Androl 34:e266-73. 2011..Currently, a number of mechanisms of cisplatin resistance and potential drug targets like global methylation and BRAF mutation status are under investigation in refractory GCT...
- Towards the definition of the best management and prognostic factors of teratoma with malignant transformation: a single-institution case series and new proposalAndrea Necchi
Department of Medicine, Urology Unit, Fondazione IRCCS Istituto Nazionale dei Tumori, Milan, Italy
BJU Int 107:1088-94. 2011..To investigate the optimal management and prognostic factors of patients with malignant transformation (MT) in germ-cell tumour (GCT) by re-evaluating Institutional series...
- Germ cell tumors of the gonads: a selective review emphasizing problems in differential diagnosis, newly appreciated, and controversial issuesThomas M Ulbright
Department of Pathology and Laboratory Medicine, Clarian Health Partners and Indiana University School of Medicine, Indianapolis, IN 46202 5280, USA
Mod Pathol 18:S61-79. 2005....
- Testicular dysgenesis syndrome comprises some but not all cases of hypospadias and impaired spermatogenesisN Jørgensen
University Department of Growth and Reproduction, Rigshospitalet, Copenhagen, Denmark
Int J Androl 33:298-303. 2010....
- Testicular cancer survivorship: research strategies and recommendationsLois B Travis
Department of Radiation Oncology, James P Wilmot Cancer Center, University of Rochester Medical Center, Rochester, NY 14642, USA
J Natl Cancer Inst 102:1114-30. 2010..Just as testicular cancer once served as the paradigm of a curable malignancy, comprehensive follow-up studies of testicular cancer survivors can pioneer new methodologies in survivorship research for all adult-onset cancer...
- Is testicular cancer an occupational disease of fire fighters?M N Bates
Institute of Environmental Science and Research Ltd, Kenepuru Science Centre, PO Box 50 348, Porirua, New Zealand
Am J Ind Med 40:263-70. 2001..A previous investigation showed an increased risk of testicular cancer among fire fighters in Wellington City, New Zealand, during the 1980s. Other studies of fire fighters had not identified testicular cancer as an occupational disease...
- 2-18fluoro-deoxy-D-glucose positron emission tomography is a reliable predictor for viable tumor in postchemotherapy seminoma: an update of the prospective multicentric SEMPET trialMaria De Santis
Department of Medical Oncology, Kaiser Franz Josef Spital, Kundratstrasse 3, A 1100 Wien, Austria
J Clin Oncol 22:1034-9. 2004..To define the clinical value of 2-18fluoro-deoxy-D-glucose positron emission tomography (FDG PET) as a predictor for viable residual tumor in postchemotherapy seminoma residuals in a prospective multicentric trial...
- A Cre gene directed by a human TSPY promoter is specific for germ cells and neuronsTatsuo Kido
Division of Cell and Developmental Genetics, Department of Medicine, VA Medical Center, University of California, San Francisco, San Francisco, California 94121, USA
Genesis 42:263-75. 2005..The tissue-specific expression of the hTSPY-Cre transgene should also be useful in studies utilizing Cre-mediated gene activation/inactivation strategies in gamatogenesis and/or neurogenesis...
- Novel genomic aberrations in testicular germ cell tumors by array-CGH, and associated gene expression changesRolf I Skotheim
Department of Cancer Prevention, Institute for Cancer Research, Rikshospitalet Radiumhospitalet Medical Center, Oslo, Norway
Cell Oncol 28:315-26. 2006..Testicular germ cell tumors of adolescent and young adult men (TGCTs) generally have near triploid and complex karyotypes. The actual genes driving the tumorigenesis remain essentially to be identified...
- Differential expression of SOX17 and SOX2 in germ cells and stem cells has biological and clinical implicationsJ De Jong
Department of Pathology, Erasmus MC University Medical Center Rotterdam, Josephine Nefkens Institute, Daniel den Hoed Cancer Center, Rotterdam, The Netherlands
J Pathol 215:21-30. 2008..It allows the identification of seminoma-like cells from embryonal carcinoma based on a positive marker and might be the explanation for the different function of POU5F1 in normal and malignant germ cells versus embryonic stem cells...
- Etiologic factors in testicular germ-cell tumorsKatherine A McGlynn
Hormonal and Reproductive Epidemiology Branch, Division of Cancer Epidemiology and Genetics, National Cancer Institute, NIH, DHHS, Rockville, MD 20852 7234, USA
Future Oncol 5:1389-402. 2009..However, an accumulating body of evidence suggests that testicular cancer arises in fetal life. Perinatal factors, including exposure to endocrine-disrupting chemicals, have been suggested to be related to risk...
- Testicular germ cell tumours: predisposition genes and the male germ cell nicheDuncan Gilbert
Sussex Cancer Centre, Royal Sussex County Hospital, Eastern Road, Brighton BN2 5BE, East Sussex, UK
Nat Rev Cancer 11:278-88. 2011..Furthermore, this improved understanding of the mechanisms underlying TGCT development and dissemination has clinical relevance for the management of patients with these tumours...
- Variants in or near KITLG, BAK1, DMRT1, and TERT-CLPTM1L predispose to familial testicular germ cell tumourChristian P Kratz
Division of CancerEpidemiology and Genetics, National Cancer Institute, National Institutes of Health, Rockville, Maryland 20852, USA
J Med Genet 48:473-6. 2011..Familial testicular germ cell tumours (TGCTs) and bilateral TGCTs comprise 1-2% and 5% of all TGCTs, respectively, but their genetic basis remains largely unknown...
- EAU guidelines on testicular cancer: 2011 updatePeter Albers
Department of Urology, Düsseldorf University, Dusseldorf, Germany
Eur Urol 60:304-19. 2011..On behalf of the European Association of Urology (EAU), guidelines for the diagnosis, therapy, and follow-up of testicular cancer were established...
- Defective repair of cisplatin-induced DNA damage caused by reduced XPA protein in testicular germ cell tumoursB Koberle
Imperial Cancer Research Fund, Clare Hall Laboratories, South Mimms, Herts EN6 3LD, UK
Curr Biol 9:273-6. 1999..Targeted inhibition of XPA could sensitise other types of cells and tumours to cisplatin and broaden the usefulness of this chemotherapeutic agent...
- Expression of a candidate gene for the gonadoblastoma locus in gonadoblastoma and testicular seminomaY Lau
Department of Medicine, VA Medical Center, University of California, San Francisco CA, USA
Cytogenet Cell Genet 91:160-4. 2000..The present observations suggest that TSPY may either be involved in the oncogenesis of or be a useful marker for both types of germ cell tumors...
- BAX-mediated cell death affects early germ cell loss and incidence of testicular teratomas in Dnd1(Ter/Ter) miceMatthew S Cook
Department of Cell Biology, Duke University, Durham, NC, USA
Dev Biol 328:377-83. 2009..We conclude that BAX-mediated apoptosis plays a role in early germ cell loss and protects from testicular teratoma formation on a mixed genetic background...
- Cisplatin sensitivity of testis tumour cells is due to deficiency in interstrand-crosslink repair and low ERCC1-XPF expressionSvetlana Usanova
Institute of Toxicology, Clinical Centre of University of Mainz, Obere Zahlbacher Strasse 67, 55131 Mainz, Germany
Mol Cancer 9:248. 2010..This study was aimed at investigating the formation and repair of intrastrand and interstrand crosslinks (ICLs) induced by cisplatin in TTC and their contribution to TTC hypersensitivity...
- p53 hypersensitivity is the predominant mechanism of the unique responsiveness of testicular germ cell tumor (TGCT) cells to cisplatinMatthias Gutekunst
Dr Margarete Fischer Bosch Institute of Clinical Pharmacology and University of Tuebingen, Stuttgart, Germany
PLoS ONE 6:e19198. 2011..Furthermore, in the very specific cellular context of germ cell-derived pluripotent EC cells, p53 function appears to be limited to induction of apoptosis...
- Efficacy of cytotoxic agents used in the treatment of testicular germ cell tumours under normoxic and hypoxic conditions in vitroS Koch
Department of Oncology, Hematology, Immunology, and Rheumatology, Medizinische Klinik, , , Tuebingen 72076, Germany
Br J Cancer 89:2133-9. 2003....
- European consensus on diagnosis and treatment of germ cell cancer: a report of the European Germ Cell Cancer Consensus Group (EGCCCG)H J Schmoll
European Germ Cell Cancer Consensus Group, Martin Luther University, Department of Hematology Oncology, Halle, Germany
Ann Oncol 15:1377-99. 2004..Since this guideline is based on the highest evidence level available today, a deviation from these proposals should be a rare and justified exception...
- A recessive mutation (ter) causing germ cell deficiency and a high incidence of congenital testicular teratomas in 129/Sv-ter miceT Noguchi
J Natl Cancer Inst 75:385-92. 1985..Introduction of the mutant gene ter onto the C57BL/6 genetic background resulted in germ cell deficiency in homozygotes, but it reduced considerably the teratoma incidence in ter/ter males...
- Identification of genetic polymorphisms at the glutathione S-transferase Pi locus and association with susceptibility to bladder, testicular and prostate cancerL W Harries
Imperial Cancer Research Fund, Ninewells Hospital and Medical School, Dundee, UK
Carcinogenesis 18:641-4. 1997..However, these were not statistically significant. No change in breast or colon cancer allele frequencies was observed...
- An overview of testicular germ cell tumorsArmita Bahrami
Department of Pathology, Baylor College of Medicine, Houston, TX, USA
Arch Pathol Lab Med 131:1267-80. 2007More than 90% of testicular neoplasms originate from germ cells. Testicular germ cell tumors (GCTs) are a heterogeneous group of neoplasms with diverse histopathology and clinical behavior.
- Recent developments in testicular germ cell tumor researchGert Jan M van de Geijn
Department of Pathology, Erasmus MC, Erasmus University Medical Center, Daniel den Hoed Cancer Center, Josephine Nefkens Institute, Rotterdam, The Netherlands
Birth Defects Res C Embryo Today 87:96-113. 2009..In this review, a summary will be given related to several recent developments in TGCT research, especially selected because of their putative clinical impact...
- From gonocytes to testicular cancer: the role of impaired gonadal developmentEwa Rajpert-De Meyts
University Department of Growth and Reproduction, Copenhagen University Hospital Rigshospitalet, DK 2100 Copenhagen, Denmark
Ann N Y Acad Sci 1120:168-80. 2007..The effects of environmental factors are likely modulated by genomic variation (polymorphisms), thus explaining the individual susceptibility and population-level differences in the incidence of testicular cancer...
- Ethnic and socioeconomic trends in testicular cancer incidence in New ZealandDiana Sarfati
Department of Public Health, University of Otago Wellington, Wellington, New Zealand
Int J Cancer 128:1683-91. 2011..Given the lack of understanding of the etiology of testicular cancer, the unusual patterns identified in the New Zealand context may provide some etiological clues for future novel research...
- Methylation profile of DNA repetitive elements in human testicular germ cell tumorHiroshi Ushida
Department of Urology, Shiga University of Medical Science, Shiga, Japan
Mol Carcinog 51:711-22. 2012..The results indicate that the underlying mechanisms to undergo or maintain demethylation of DNA repetitive sequences differ between TGCTs and cancer cells of somatic tissue origin...
- Early development of the metabolic syndrome after chemotherapy for testicular cancerE C de Haas
Departments of Medical Oncology, The Netherlands Cancer Institute, Amsterdam, The Netherlands
Ann Oncol 24:749-55. 2013..The metabolic syndrome (MS) might increase the risk of cardiovascular disease in testicular cancer (TC) survivors. We investigated its prevalence, development, vascular implications, and the role of gonadal function...
- Patterns of outcome and prognostic factors in primary large-cell lymphoma of the testis in a survey by the International Extranodal Lymphoma Study GroupE Zucca
Division of Haematology Medical Oncology, Peter MacCallum Cancer Institute, East Melbourne, Australia
J Clin Oncol 21:20-7. 2003..To determine clinical features and patterns of outcome of primary testicular diffuse large B-cell lymphomas (DLCL)...
- Involvement of adenomatous polyposis coli (APC) gene in testicular yolk sac tumor of infantsNoriko Kato
Department of Pathology, Yamagata University School of Medicine, 990 9585, Japan
Hum Pathol 37:48-53. 2006..These data indicate that inactivation of the APC gene, by allelic loss and/or promoter methylation, is related to the occurrence of infantile YSTs...
- Mesothelioma of the tunica vaginalis testis: a rare malignancy mimicking more common inguino-scrotal massesP J C M Schure
Department of Surgery, Diakonessenhuis Utrecht, The Netherlands
J Surg Oncol 94:162-4; discussion 161. 2006..They may occur in the abdominal cavity and also in the inguinal region. In the latter area they are commonly confused with much commoner benign conditions. We present three cases of mesotheliomas in the tunica vaginalis testis...
- Primary adenocarcinoma of the rete testis: diagnostic problems and therapeutic dilemmasFilippo Sogni
Clinica Urologica, Universita del Piemonte Orientale, Via Solaroli 17, Novara, Italy
Scand J Urol Nephrol 42:83-5. 2008..The beneficial role of prophylactic retroperitoneal lymphadenectomy is controversial due to the extremely low number of reported cases and the occasional description of primary lymphatic spread outside the retroperitoneal space...
- Testicular cancer incidence trends in the USA (1975-2004): plateau or shifting racial paradigm?L Holmes
Institute of Community Health, University of Houston, Texas Medical Center, Houston, TX 77030, USA
Public Health 122:862-72. 2008..This study also investigated the influence of age at diagnosis on the incidence of testicular cancer...
- [18F]Fluorodeoxyglucose positron emission tomography in nonseminomatous germ cell tumors after chemotherapy: the German multicenter positron emission tomography study groupKarin Oechsle
Department of Oncology Hematology, Bone marrow transplantation Pneumology, University Medical Center Eppendorf, Martinistr 52, 20246 Hamburg, Germany
J Clin Oncol 26:5930-5. 2008..This prospective trial has evaluated the accuracy of [(18)F]fluorodeoxyglucose positron emission tomography (FDG-PET) for the prediction of histology compared with computed tomography (CT) and serum tumor markers (STM)...
- Spermatocytic seminomaNidhi Aggarwal
Department of Pathology, University of Pittsburgh Medical Center, Pittsburgh, Pennsylvania 15213, USA
Arch Pathol Lab Med 133:1985-8. 2009..It is important to differentiate this condition from its frequent mimics, such as classic seminoma and embryonal carcinoma, because patients with spermatocytic seminoma may not require further treatment after surgery...
- DNMT3L is a novel marker and is essential for the growth of human embryonal carcinomaKahori Minami
Department of Clinical Laboratory Medicine, Shiga University of Medical Science, Shiga, Japan
Clin Cancer Res 16:2751-9. 2010..Testicular germ cell tumors (TGCT) have a unique epigenetic profile distinct from that of other types of cancer. Elucidation of these properties has a potential to identify novel markers for TGCTs...
- Global DNA methylation in fetal human germ cells and germ cell tumours: association with differentiation and cisplatin resistanceHendrik Wermann
Department of Pathology, Erasmus MC Erasmus University Medical Center, Daniel den Hoed Cancer Center, Josephine Nefkens Institute, Rotterdam, The Netherlands
J Pathol 221:433-42. 2010..Among the genes revealing changes, interesting targets were identified: ie demethylation of KLF11, a putative tumour suppressor gene, and hypermethylation of CFLAR, a gene previously described in treatment resistance in GCTs...
- Deficiency of splicing factor 1 suppresses the occurrence of testicular germ cell tumorsRui Zhu
Department of Genetics, The University of Texas M D Anderson Cancer Center, Houston, TX 77030, USA
Cancer Res 70:7264-72. 2010..Our data indicate that Sf1 levels in mouse strains correlate with their incidences of TGCTs and implicate the importance of splicing mechanisms in germ cell tumorigenesis...
- Serum tumor markers in the evaluation of male germ cell tumorsLamont J Barlow
Department of Urology, Columbia University Medical Center, Herbert Irving Pavilion, 11th Floor 161 Fort Washington Avenue, New York, NY 10032, USA
Nat Rev Urol 7:610-7. 2010..Compared to any other solid organ malignancy, the role of serum tumor markers in GCT is unprecedented; these markers are instrumental in the diagnosis and management of testicular GCT...
- Spontaneous metastasis in mouse models of testicular germ-cell tumoursJ L Zechel
Department of Genetics, Case Western Reserve University School of Medicine, University Hospitals Case Medical Center, Institute of Pathology, Cleveland OH, USA
Int J Androl 34:e278-87. 2011..Together, these results provide the first evidence for spontaneous TGCT metastasis in mice and show that these metastases originate from primary TGCTs rather than independently from ectopic stem cells...
- Management of localized seminoma, stage I-II: SIU/ICUD Consensus Meeting on Germ Cell Tumors (GCT), Shanghai 2009P Warde
Department of Radiation Oncology, University of Toronto, Radiation Medicine Program, Princess Margaret Hospital, Toronto, Ontario, Canada
Urology 78:S435-43. 2011..It was also noted that surgery in this setting is technically challenging and could be associated with greater morbidity than in patients with nonseminomatous tumors...
- Epigenetics: a way to understand the origin and biology of testicular germ cell tumorsKeisei Okamoto
Department of Urology, Shiga University of Medical Science, Otsu, Shiga, Japan
Int J Urol 19:504-11. 2012..This review summarizes recent research progress in the epigenetics of testicular germ cell tumors in an attempt to explain the abovementioned biological and clinical characteristics of testicular germ cell tumors...
- [Spermatocytic seminoma with rhabdomyosarcomatous contingent]Ines Chelly
Service d Anapatomologie, Hopital La Rabta, Tunis, Tunisie
Prog Urol 16:218-20. 2006..Spermatocytic seminoma is a relatively rare testicular tumour, not associated with another germ-cell tumour component and characterized by a favourable prognosis. However, discovery of a sarcomatous contingent modifies the prognosis...
- Population-based study of perioperative mortality after retroperitoneal lymphadenectomy for nonseminomatous testicular germ cell tumorsUmberto Capitanio
University of Montreal Health Center, Quebec, Canada
Urology 74:373-7. 2009..8% for postchemotherapy RPLND) are applicable to institutions at large...
- Long-term oncological outcome after post-chemotherapy retroperitoneal lymph node dissection in men with metastatic nonseminomatous germ cell tumourAude Flechon
Department of Medical Oncology, Centre Leon Berard, Lyon, France
BJU Int 106:779-85. 2010....
- Mesothelioma of tunica vaginalis of "uncertain malignant potential" - an evolving concept: case report and review of the literatureKiril Trpkov
Department of Pathology and Laboratory Medicine, Calgary Laboratory Services and University of Calgary, Rockyview General Hospital, 7007 14 st, Calgary, T2V 1P9, Alberta, Canada
Diagn Pathol 6:78. 2011..Documentation of these rare tumors will allow their distinction from true malignant mesotheliomas and will facilitate the development of specific treatment recommendations...
- Testicular germ cell tumours in dogs are predominantly of spermatocytic seminoma type and are frequently associated with somatic cell tumoursJ M Bush
IDEXX Laboratories, Memphis, TN, USA
Int J Androl 34:e288-95; discussion e295. 2011..Canine spermatocytic seminomas may provide a useful model for this rare human neoplasm...
- Gonadal malignant germ cell tumors express immunoreactive inhibin/activin subunitsL Cobellis
Chair of Obstetrics and Gynecology, University of Siena, Siena, Italy
Eur J Endocrinol 145:779-84. 2001..The aim of the present study was to evaluate the immunohistochemical expression of the inhibin/activin alpha, betaA and betaB subunits in ovarian and testicular MGCT specimens using polyclonal antisera...
- Loss of drug-induced activation of the CD95 apoptotic pathway in a cisplatin-resistant testicular germ cell tumor cell lineD C J Spierings
Department of Medical Oncology, University of Groningen, The Netherlands
Cell Death Differ 10:808-22. 2003....
- Age at surgery for undescended testis and risk of testicular cancerAndreas Pettersson
Clinical Epidemiology Unit, Department of Medicine, Karolinska Institutet, Stockholm, Sweden
N Engl J Med 356:1835-41. 2007..We studied the relation between the age at treatment for undescended testis and the risk of testicular cancer...
- Chromosomes and expression in human testicular germ-cell tumors: insight into their cell of origin and pathogenesisLeendert H J Looijenga
Department of Pathology, Josephine Nefkens Institute, Erasmus MC University Medical Center Rotterdam, Daniel den Hoed Cancer Center, Rotterdam, The Netherlands
Ann N Y Acad Sci 1120:187-214. 2007..The conclusion is that TGCTs are embryonic cancers found in adults...
- Short- and long-term morbidity after treatment for testicular cancerSophie D Fossa
The Norwegian Radium Hospital, Oslo University Hospital, Oslo, Norway
BJU Int 104:1418-22. 2009..Patients should be informed about these potential complications and the importance of adjusting their lifestyle (e.g. smoking habits, physical activity and weight control)...
- The association of CCND1 overexpression and cisplatin resistance in testicular germ cell tumors and other cancersElodie E Noel
Medical Oncology Centre, Cancer Institute, Barts and London School of Medicine and Dentistry, Queen Mary, University of London, Charterhouse Square, London EC1M 6BQ, UK
Am J Pathol 176:2607-15. 2010..CCND1 could be potentially used as a marker for treatment stratification and as a molecular target to improve the treatment of platinum-resistant tumors...
- What is new in cryptorchidism and hypospadias--a critical review on the testicular dysgenesis hypothesisJorgen Thorup
Department of Pediatric Surgery, Faculty of Health Science, University of Copenhagen, Rigshospitalet, DK 2100 Copenhagen, Denmark
J Pediatr Surg 45:2074-86. 2010....
- Use of antibodies against LH receptor, 3beta-hydroxysteroid dehydrogenase and vimentin to characterize different types of testicular tumour in dogsM A Peters
Department of Clinical Sciences of Companion Animals, Faculty of Veterinary Medicine, Utrecht University, The Netherlands
Reproduction 121:287-96. 2001..Overall, this panel of antibodies can be very useful for determination of the identity of testicular tumours in which histological characterization is complicated and the pathogenesis of feminization is not clear...
- Selected other problematic testicular and paratesticular lesions: rete testis neoplasms and pseudotumors, mesothelial lesions and secondary tumorsMahul B Amin
Department of Pathology, Emory University School of Medicine, Atlanta, GA 30322, USA
Mod Pathol 18:S131-45. 2005....
- Elevation of XPA protein level in testis tumor cells without increasing resistance to cisplatin or UV radiationBeate Köberle
Department of Pharmacology, University of Pittsburgh Medical School and University of Pittsburgh Cancer Institute, Pittsburgh, Pennsylvania, USA
Mol Carcinog 47:580-6. 2008..The relative sensitivity of testis tumor cells to cisplatin, UV radiation, and other DNA damaging agents is likely related not to NER capacity, but to other factors such as the integrity of the p53 pathway in these cells...
- Therapeutic potential of Mdm2 inhibition in malignant germ cell tumoursSebastian Bauer
Sarcoma Centre, West German Cancer Centre, University Hospital Essen, Essen, Germany
Eur Urol 57:679-87. 2010..The majority of these tumours express low levels of p53, and TP53 mutations are rarely observed. Murine double minute 2 (Mdm2) inhibitors enhance apoptosis in tumours harbouring wild-type p53...
- Analysis of SOX2 expression in developing human testis and germ cell neoplasiaSi B Sonne
University Department of Growth and Reproduction, Rigshospitalet, Copenhagen, Denmark
Int J Dev Biol 54:755-60. 2010..The results demonstrate SOX2 gene expression in CIS for the first time and raise the possibility of post-transcriptional regulation, most likely sumoylation as a mechanism for limiting SOX2 action in these cells...
- Paratesticular mesothelioma. Report of a case with comprehensive review of literatureMichele Bisceglia
Department of Pathology, IRCCS Casa Sollievo della Sofferenza Hospital, San Giovanni Rotondo, Italy
Adv Anat Pathol 17:53-70. 2010..A clinicopathologic evaluation of a case of tunical diffuse mesothelioma in a 74-year-old male from the AMR Series is the starting point for this general review...
- Testicular and paratesticular tumours in the prepubertal populationHashim U Ahmed
Division of Surgery and Interventional Sciences, University College London and UCH UCL Comprehensive Biomedical Research Centre, London, UK
Lancet Oncol 11:476-83. 2010..We provide an up-to-date and comprehensive review of the clinical presentation, imaging, pathology, and clinical management of prepubertal paratesticular and testicular tumours...
- Immunity against cancer: lessons learned from melanomaA N Houghton
Memorial Sloan Kettering Cancer Center and Weill Medical School of Cornell University, 1275 York Avenue, New York, NY 10021, USA
Curr Opin Immunol 13:134-40. 2001..The view of what the immune system can see is extending to mutations and parts of the genome that are normally invisible...
- Transition from in situ to invasive testicular germ cell neoplasia is associated with the loss of p21 and gain of mdm-2 expressionM W Datta
Department of Pathology, Froedtert Memorial Lutheran Hospital, Medical College of Wisconsin, Milwaukee, Wisconsin 53226, USA
Mod Pathol 14:437-42. 2001..p53 is in turn regulated by the ubiquitin ligase mouse double minute-2 (mdm-2). We have set out to examine p21 expression in testicular germ cell tumors and its relationship with p53 and mdm-2 expression...
- Effect of chronic low-dose phthalate exposure on the immature primate testisIna Dobrinski; Fiscal Year: 2009..to human health and has been implicated in both the apparent decline of male fertility and a rise in testicular neoplasms. Phthalate esters are widely used as plasticizers in consumer products and can leach into the environment, ..
- Outcomes of Curable Cancers in Vulnerable PopulationsSiran Koroukian; Fiscal Year: 2009..We will examine survival outcomes by Medicaid status;and among Medicaid beneficiaries, survival and cure rates will be evaluated in the presence or absence of mental and/or physical comorbid conditions. ..
- Cardiovascular Risk in Testicular Cancer SurvivorsDavid Vaughn; Fiscal Year: 2004..However, prior to initiating an intervention study, these parameters need to be explicated. ..
- Depression Screening & Treatment in Ovarian CancerEileen Shinn; Fiscal Year: 2007..Drs. Rehm and Taylor will co-supervise Dr. Shinn in the CBT administration. This intervention is innovative and has not been done before with any group of cancer patients, including ovarian cancer patients. ..
- Depression & Adherence in Head and Neck CancerEileen Shinn; Fiscal Year: 2005..Pain, fatigue, and social support will be tested as mediators of the intervention's potential effect on depression levels. ..
- ESTROGEN INDUCED RESPONSES VIA ER/SPL COMPLEXESStephen Safe; Fiscal Year: 2002..These results will ultimately facilitate design of chemotherapeutic approaches which target specific genes. ..
- Colon Cancer Inhibition by a Class of PPARgamma AgonistsStephen Safe; Fiscal Year: 2009..The proposed studies will provide mechanistic insights on PPARy-dependent inhibition of colon cancer and identify compounds for future clinical studies. ..
- Mechanisms of Growth Factor-Estrogen Receptor CrosstalkStephen Safe; Fiscal Year: 2006..abstract_text> ..
- Inhibition of Pancreatic Cancer by New PPARgamma Agonis*Stephen Safe; Fiscal Year: 2008..PPAR? -active C-substituted DIMs that inhibit pancreatic cancer cell growth in vitro and in vivo, and these will serve as lead compounds for development of new drugs for clinical treatment of this devastating disease ..
- TOXICOLOGY OF ENVIRONMENT CONTAMINANTSStephen Safe; Fiscal Year: 2007..The proposed training program will continue to provide trainees with a challenging academic and research environment that will prepare them for future careers in academic, industry and government. ..
- ALKYL PCDFS--INHIBITION OF MAMMARY CANCERStephen Safe; Fiscal Year: 2001..Thus the proposed studies will define a new mechanism-based class of antiestrogens that can be used alone or in combination with tamoxifen for treatment of breast and endometrial cancer. ..
- 2,3,7,8,--TCDD Effects on the Estrogenic ResponsesStephen Safe; Fiscal Year: 2006..The proposed Aims will address important mechanistic considerations on IDRE-independent inhibitory AhR-ERa crosstalk and pathways critical for inhibition of mammary tumor growth by SAhRMs. ..
- Coactivation of Estrogen Receptor alpha/Sp1Stephen Safe; Fiscal Year: 2006..abstract_text> ..
- Molecular Basis Of Renal Cell Carcinoma Response to SU11428Robert J Motzer; Fiscal Year: 2011..These tumor and cell line-based studies lay a foundation for further molecular studies aimed at understanding the sensitivity/resistance of RCC to SU11248. ..
- Regulation of VEGF/HIF-1 by AKT: Implications for RadiotherapyAmit Maity; Fiscal Year: 2010..Increased oxygenation should make tumors more sensitive to radiation;therefore, our studies may be important in helping to optimize the combination of EGFR inhibitors with radiation. ..
- Acupuncture to aid post-colectomy recovery in colorectal cancer patientsGary Deng; Fiscal Year: 2007..unreadable] [unreadable] [unreadable]..
- Paraneoplastic Disorders of CNS: Autoantigen ProfilingJosep Dalmau; Fiscal Year: 2007..unreadable] [unreadable]..
- Development of an Aging and Cancer Program at MSKCCGeorge Bosl; Fiscal Year: 2007..Through this planning grant, MSKCC will formally expand its research activities in cancer biology and management in the aging population so that it will become a key component of its NCI-funded CCSG. ..
- Mechanisms Causing Cryptorchidism and Fetal Transformation of Testicular CellsD N Rao Veeramachaneni; Fiscal Year: 2007..Results will clarify the interaction of genetics and EDAs as cause of cryptorchidism. [unreadable] [unreadable] [unreadable]..
- GENERAL CLINICAL RESEARCH CENTERKaren Antman; Fiscal Year: 2008..abstract_text> ..
- Testicular tumor susceptibility at the agouti locusJASON HEANEY; Fiscal Year: 2007..Chr19M, Ay/+ mice using BAG transgene complementation tests and conditional knockout mice, and 2) the TGCT frequency and expression levels of Raly and Eif2s2 in 129./W+ and 129.Chr19M, Avy/+ mice. ..
- Immunity to brain Ma proteins: A remote effect of cancerJosep Dalmau; Fiscal Year: 2007..abstract_text> ..
- Pacific Research Center for Early Human DevelopmentLynnae Millar; Fiscal Year: 2008..In turn, through new collaborations in translational research, the Center will strengthen JABSOM's position as an applicant for GCRC status, which is anticipated within the next six years. ..
- Ethnic Differences in Survival after Childhood ALLSmita Bhatia; Fiscal Year: 2009..abstract_text> ..
- Role of Kupffer Cell in Hepatic CarcinogenesisJames Klaunig; Fiscal Year: 2009..These studies will further our understanding into the mechanisms of the development and progression of human liver cancer with potential application to prevention and therapy. ..
- Resistance and Response Mechanisms to Prostate Cancer TherapyTOMASZ BEER; Fiscal Year: 2009..We will test the effectiveness of novel treatments that exploit newly discovered targets in the laboratory and lay the foundation for human trials to develop effective prostate cancer treatment. ..
- Structure-activity analysis of enolpyruvyl transferasesErnst Schonbrunn; Fiscal Year: 2009..Moreover, they will provide a solid basis for the rational design of novel broad-spectrum antimicrobial drugs targeting these important enzymes. ..
- COX2-Regulated Testosterone Biosynthesis in Male AgingXingJia Wang; Fiscal Year: 2009..abstract_text> ..
- Metabolomic and Toxicogenetic Study of Ethanol ToxicityIvan Rusyn; Fiscal Year: 2009..abstract_text> ..
- Testicular Cancer Susceptibility Genes on Mouse Chr 19.Angabin Matin; Fiscal Year: 2009..The consomic and congenic strains with varying TGCT predisposition are valuable resources for the dissection of the biology of PGC transformation. ..
- New York State Angler Cohort Follow-up StudyMatthew Bonner; Fiscal Year: 2009..abstract_text> ..
- Colorectal Cancer Screening Barriers in American Indians/Alaska NativesCHRISTINE DALEY; Fiscal Year: 2007..unreadable] [unreadable] [unreadable]..
- PATCH PROJECT--PREVENTING ADDICTION TO TOBACCOR Stotts; Fiscal Year: 2001..If this program is found to be effective it will provide the basis for significantly reducing the prevalence of tobacco use among adolescents and will be able to be offered at both schools and community sites. ..
- PEDIATRIC ONCOLOGY GROUP STUDIESThomas McLean; Fiscal Year: 2002....
- COMMUNICATION SKILLS FOR MALE CANCER SCREENINGCatherine Dube; Fiscal Year: 2003..abstract_text> ..
- BONE MARROW TRANSPLANT (BMT) SURVIVORS STUDYSmita Bhatia; Fiscal Year: 2003..g., second cancers, births, cardiac complications, etc.) that may have occurred since the completion of the initial questionnaire. ..
- CLINICAL TRIALS AND MENTORING IN ONCOLOGY RESEARCHRobert Motzer; Fiscal Year: 2003..One recently joined staff at MSKCC in the Genito-urinary Section. Mentoring of clinical trials is extended beyond fellowship to junior faculty members. ..
- Oregon Prostate Cancer Conference 2001TOMASZ BEER; Fiscal Year: 2003....
- Historic Traffic Exposure Maps for Cancer StudiesPaul English; Fiscal Year: 2003....
- Acupuncture for hot flashes in prostate cancer patientsTOMASZ BEER; Fiscal Year: 2004..The overall goal is to provide prostate cancer patients an effective, low toxicity, non-pharmacologic treatment modality for hot flashes. ..
- DNA REPAIR AND SUSCEPTIBILITY TO ENVIRONMENTAL AGENTSIvan Rusyn; Fiscal Year: 2004..These experiments will also provide crucial mechanistic insights into possible differences in species- and tissue-specific responses to DNA damage induced by environmental agents. ..
- IDENTIFYING MODIFYING GENES IN BRCA1 MUTATION CARRIERSKatherine Nathanson; Fiscal Year: 2005..abstract_text> ..
- Using array CGH to identify prostate cancer genesKatherine Nathanson; Fiscal Year: 2005....
- Stabilized Helical Peptides as Coactivators AntagonistsFederico Bernal; Fiscal Year: 2006..Moreover, it will give further insight into the role of coactivator peptides in the activation of a specific gene in a particular cell type. ..
- Molecular Epidemiology of MelanomaPeter Kanetsky; Fiscal Year: 2006..Analyses will be undertaken to evaluate the role of candidate genotypes and other risk factors in melanoma etiology, including genotype by environment interactions. ..
- Establishment of the Syrian Center for Tobacco StudiesKenneth Ward; Fiscal Year: 2006..abstract_text> ..
- INCREASING PHYSICAL ACTIVITY TO AID SMOKING CESSATIONKenneth Ward; Fiscal Year: 2007..The primary endpoint of the trial is smoking cessation, and secondary endpoints include physical activity level, body mass index, percent body fat, and waist circumference. ..
- Fetal Basis of Sexual Dysfunction: Brain DifferentiationD N Rao Veeramachaneni; Fiscal Year: 2007..By using a relevant and yet practical animal model the proposed studies will advance the knowledge base in pollutant-induced sexual/erectile dysfunction, an area pivotal to reproductive health/success in humans. [unreadable] [unreadable]..
- A Novel Vitamin D Target in Human Prostate CancerTOMASZ BEER; Fiscal Year: 2007..New treatment targets are needed to develop new drugs to treat prostate cancer, the most commonly diagnosed cancer and the second-leading cancer killer in US men. [unreadable] [unreadable]..
- Molecular Mechanisms of Phthalate-induced CarcinogenesisIvan Rusyn; Fiscal Year: 2007..This results in a "potentiation" of a non-specific mitogen release from Kupffer cells activated by lipid-like peroxisome proliferator particles, thus accounting for a characteristic burst of proliferation in the liver. ..
- Population-Based Assessment of Post-Katrina Smoking RelapseKenneth Ward; Fiscal Year: 2007..smoking relapse? (3) How motivated and confident are individuals who relapsed after Katrina to make a renewed quit attempt? and (4) What is the prevalence and time course of renewed quit attempts? [unreadable] [unreadable] [unreadable]..
- In Utero Organochlorine Exposure & Breast DensityBARBARA COHN; Fiscal Year: 2009..These women have not yet achieved the age of high breast cancer risk. The proposed project is an efficient use of existing resources for a unique 40-year follow-up study. ..
- Pregnancy Hormones, Genes, & Offspring HealthBARBARA COHN; Fiscal Year: 2004..The SNP library will be a resource of unparalleled power that will be used in conjunction with emerging identification of relevant polymorphisms by the NIEHS Environmental Genome Project to study gene-environment interactions. ..
- HRT USE AND RISK OF LOBULAR AND DUCTAL BREAST CANCERJanet Daling; Fiscal Year: 2004..of CHRT associated with alteration in the histologic characteristics, tumor cell proliferation, or expression of steroid hormone receptors, oncogenes, and cell cycle and cell death regulator proteins of lobular and ductal breast cancers? ..
- FUNCTIONS OF SRY AND SRY INTERACTIVE PROTEIN GENESYun Fai Chris Lau; Fiscal Year: 2004..Understanding the mechanisms of sex determination in mouse may shed insights on those in humans, and eventually may lead to developments of clinical diagnosis and treatment of gonadal dysgenesis and infertility. ..
- CALCIUM CHANNEL BLOCKERS IN BREAST CANCER ETIOLOGYJanet Daling; Fiscal Year: 2001..cimetidine, anti-depressants, lipid lowering drugs) frequently used by women in this age group. ..