hyperglycemic hyperosmolar nonketotic coma
Summary: A serious complication of TYPE 2 DIABETES MELLITUS. It is characterized by extreme HYPERGLYCEMIA; DEHYDRATION; serum hyperosmolarity; and depressed consciousness leading to COMA in the absence of KETOSIS and ACIDOSIS.
Publications128 found, 100 shown here
- [Hyperglycemic hyperosmolar nonketotic syndrome]Dagmara Reingardiene
Clinic of Intensive Care, Kaunas University of Medicine, Eiveniu 2, 3007 Kaunas, Lithuania
Medicina (Kaunas) 39:707-12; quiz 713-4,717. 2003..A discussion of complications management of hyperosmolar hyperglycemia, mortality rate and prevention are included in this review...
- Diagnosis and treatment of diabetic ketoacidosis and the hyperglycemic hyperosmolar stateJean Louis Chiasson
Division of Endocrinology Metabolism, Centre Hospitalier de l Universite de Montreal, and the Department of Medicine, Universite de Montreal, Montreal, QC
CMAJ 168:859-66. 2003..The diagnosis is confirmed by the blood pH, serum bicarbonate level and serum osmolality. Treatment consists of adequate correction of the dehydration, hyperglycemia, ketoacidosis and electrolyte deficits...
- [Management of water electrolyte imbalance associated with diabetes mellitus]Koji Hasegawa
Nihon Naika Gakkai Zasshi 92:784-9. 2003
- A 71-year-old man with hyperglycemia and mental status changesChristopher Naquin
Louisiana State University Health Sciences Center, Family Practice Residency Program, New Orleans, USA
J La State Med Soc 155:238-41. 2003..We report herein a patient presenting with hyperglycemic hyperosmolar coma with three possible precipitating infections: pharyngitis, urinary tract infection, and infective endocarditis...
- Ketoacidosis and the hyperosmolar hyperglycemic state in adult diabetic patients. Diagnosis and treatmentZ Yared
Division of Endocrinology, Metabolism and Nutrition, Research Centre, Centre Hospitalier de l Universite de Montreal, and Department of Medicine, Universite de Montreal, Montreal, Quebec, Canada
Minerva Med 94:409-18. 2003..Excess mortality still occurs, particularly for HHS, emphasizing the importance of patient education and regular follow-up to prevent these potentially fatal complications...
- Severe hyperglycemic hyperosmolar nonketotic coma in a nondiabetic patient receiving aripiprazoleLisa Marie Campanella
Department of Emergency Medicine, St Joseph s Medical Center, Wayne, NJ, USA
Ann Emerg Med 53:264-6. 2009..We present a case of a patient without a history of diabetes mellitus who presented to the emergency department in severe hyperosmolar nonketotic coma while using aripiprazole...
- Deaths associated with diabetic ketoacidosis and hyperosmolar coma. 1973-1988P S Hamblin
Ewen Downie Metabolic Unit, Monash University Department of Medicine, Alfred Hospital, Prahran, Vic
Med J Aust 151:439, 441-2, 444. 1989....
- Anticoagulant therapy in hyperosmolar non-ketotic diabetic comaK Kian
Diabet Med 20:603. 2003
- Olanzapine-induced hyperglycemic hyperosmolar nonketotic coma: a case reportMariposa McCall
J Clin Psychopharmacol 24:670-3. 2004
- Management of hyperglycemic emergenciesZara R Brenner
Department of Nursing, State University of New York at Brockport and Rochester General Hospital, 14621, USA
AACN Clin Issues 17:56-65; quiz 91-3. 2006....
- Influence of age on the presentation and outcome of acidotic and hyperosmolar diabetic emergenciesR J MacIsaac
Austin and Repatriation Medical Centre, Department of Medicine, University of Melbourne, Heidelberg, Victoria, Australia
Intern Med J 32:379-85. 2002..Traditionally, DKA and HHS have been classified as distinct entities but there is evidence to suggest that patients can present with elements of both conditions...
- Diabetic emergencies in adultsTina Moore
School of Health and Social Sciences, Middlesex University, Middlesex
Nurs Stand 18:45-52; quiz 54. 2004..In this article the author discusses three diabetic emergencies: diabetic ketoacidosis, hyperosmolar non-ketotic syndrome and hypoglycaemia, which all require prompt recognition and appropriate intervention...
- Thirty years of personal experience in hyperglycemic crises: diabetic ketoacidosis and hyperglycemic hyperosmolar stateAbbas E Kitabchi
Division of Endocrinology, Diabetes, and Metabolism, University of Tennessee Health Science Center, 920 Madison Avenue 909, Memphis, TN 38163, USA
J Clin Endocrinol Metab 93:1541-52. 2008..This paper summarizes the results of these prospective studies on the management and pathophysiology of DKA...
- Hyperglycaemic crises and lactic acidosis in diabetes mellitusP English
Diabetes and Endocrinology Research Group, Clinical Sciences Centre, University Hospital Aintree, Liverpool, UK
Postgrad Med J 80:253-61. 2004..As far as is possible, the recommendations are based on clear published evidence; failing that, what is considered to be a common sense synthesis of consensus guidelines and recommendations is provided...
- [Diabetic hyperosmolality. Retrospective study of 60 cases]Maria Vitor Campos
Serviço Endocrinologia, Diabetes e Metabolismo dos Hospitais da Universidade de Coimbra
Acta Med Port 16:13-9. 2003....
- Pathophysiology of diabetes mellitusRichard A Guthrie
Mid America Diabetes Associates, 200 S Hillside, Wichita, KS 67211, USA
Crit Care Nurs Q 27:113-25. 2004..and symptoms to be aware of when the person is in the acute state of diabetic ketoacidosis, hyperglycemic hyperosmolar nonketotic coma (or state), and severe hypoglycemia...
- Hyperglycemic crisis. Regaining controlVeronica Crump
Morristown Memorial Hospital, Morristown, N L, USA
RN 67:23-4, 26-7; quiz 28. 2004
- [Our experience in continuous administration of insulin using infusion dispenser at a metabolic intensive care unit (MICU)]J Charvat
Jednotka intenzivní metabolické péce Interní kliniky 2 lékarské fakulty UK a FN Motol, Praha
Vnitr Lek 53:1047-52. 2007....
- Hyperglycemic crises in diabetes mellitus: diabetic ketoacidosis and hyperglycemic hyperosmolar stateAbbas E Kitabchi
Division of Endocrinology, Diabetes and Metabolism, University of Tennessee Health Science Center, Memphis, TN 38163, USA
Endocrinol Metab Clin North Am 35:725-51, viii. 2006..DKA and HHS also are economically burdensome; therefore, any resources invested in their prevention would be rewarding...
- Diabetic emergenciesLynda Latham
University Hospital, North Staffordshire
Nurs Stand 19:64. 2005
- Diabetes emergencies in the patient with type 2 diabetesL Quinn
Department of Medical-Surgical Nursing, University of Illinois at Chicago College of Nursing, Chicago, Illinois 60612, USA
Nurs Clin North Am 36:341-60, viii. 2001..This article explores the acute complications of type 2 diabetes and some of the issues associated with managing these patients in the hospital setting...
- Approach to management of malignant hyperthermia-like syndrome in pediatric diabetes mellitusBrendan J Kilbane
Department of Pediatrics, Cincinnati Children s Hospital Medical Center and University of Cincinnati, Cincinnati, OH, USA
Pediatr Crit Care Med 7:169-73. 2006..However, a fatal malignant hyperthermia-like syndrome (MHLS) with rhabdomyolysis associated with new-onset diabetes mellitus and HHNS in adolescents has been described...
- Can you rapidly distinguish these endocrine emergencies?Kim Pearson
RN 69:49. 2006
- A case of hyperglycemic hyperosmolar state associated with Graves' hyperthyroidism: a case reportSung Won Moon
Department of Internal Medicine, College of Medicine, Gyeongsang National University, Jinju, Korea
J Korean Med Sci 21:765-7. 2006..Here, we described the case of a woman with Graves' disease and type 2 DM developing to HHS...
- Pediatric hyperglycemic hyperosmolar syndrome: diagnostic difficulties and high mortality rateJoel B Cochran
Pediatric Department, Medical University of South Carolina, Charleston, SC 29425, USA
Am J Emerg Med 24:297-301. 2006..Of the 18 cases, there were 13 deaths (72%). The purpose of this report and literature review is to emphasize the importance of early diagnoses and treatment of pediatric HHS...
- Acute necrotizing pancreatitis in an adolescent with type 2 diabetesOrit Pinhas-Hamiel
Pediatric Endocrinology and Diabetes, Sheba Medical Center, Ramat Gan and Maccabi Juvenile Diabetes Center, Raanana, Israel
Curr Opin Pediatr 18:206-8. 2006..Since adolescents with type 2 diabetes are susceptible to the same complications that accompany type 2 diabetes in adults, pediatricians are now encountering new diagnosis entities...
- Nontraumatic rhabdomyolysis: an unusual complication of diabetic hyperosmolar nonketotic (HONK) stateK K Gangopadhyay
Medicine, Diabetes and Endocrinology, City Hospital, Manchester
J R Soc Med 99:200. 2006
- [Hyperglycemic hyperosmolar non-ketotic coma]Kazuhiro Hiramine
The Third Department of Internal Medicine, Tokyo Medical University
Nihon Rinsho . 2006
- Hyperosmolar hyperglycemic stateGregg D Stoner
University of Illinois College of Medicine, Peoria, Illinois 61602, USA
Am Fam Physician 71:1723-30. 2005..Finally, physicians should focus on preventing future episodes using patient education and instruction in self-monitoring...
- Home health nursing care agenda based on health policy in KoreaHosihn Ryu
College of Nursing, Korea University, Anam Dong, Sungbuk Ku, Seoul, South Korea
Nurs Health Sci 7:92-8. 2005..Accordingly, the major function and role of nursing policy makers in Korea is to develop an agenda and alternatives for policy-making in a systematic manner and to present implementation strategies clearly...
- [Impairment of cardiac autonomic nervous system and incidence of arrhythmias in severe hyperglycemia]Sven Sufke
Medizinische Klinik I, Universitatsklinikum Schleswig Holstein, Lubeck, Germany
Med Klin (Munich) 105:858-70. 2010..Moreover was evaluated how blood pressure, heart rate and incidence of arrhythmias can be explained by figures of heart rate variability...
- [Diabetic metabolic emergencies]Zoltan Balogh
Debreceni Egyetem, Orvos és Egészségtudományi Centrum, Általános Orvostudományi Kar, Belgyógyászati Intézet, I Belgyógyászati Klinika, Anyagcsere betegségek Tanszék
Orv Hetil 146:443-50. 2005..The authors summarize clinical presentation and therapeutic possibilities of hypoglycaemia on the basis of the literature...
- Diabetic ketoacidosis and hyperglycaemic hyperosmolar syndrome - clinical guidelinesKaren de Beer
ICU, Royal Free Hampstead NHS Trust, London, UK
Nurs Crit Care 13:5-11. 2008..The admission of patients to the intensive care unit (ICU) with DKA and HHS is rare, and management of patients' diverse problems is prone to error because of a lack of familiarity...
- Evaluation of point-of-care blood glucose measurements in patients with diabetic ketoacidosis or hyperglycemic hyperosmolar syndrome admitted to a critical care unitDawn E Corl
Clinical Education, Harborview Medical Center, 325 Ninth Ave, UW box 359733, Seattle, WA 98104 2499
J Diabetes Sci Technol 7:1265-74. 2013..Point-of-care (POC) blood glucose (BG) measurement is currently not recommended in the treatment of patients presenting with diabetic ketoacidosis (DKA) or hyperglycemic hyperosmolar syndrome (HHS)...
- Death caused by hyperglycemic hyperosmolar state at the onset of type 2 diabetesAlba E Morales
Division of Pediatric Endocrinology, University of Florida College of Medicine, Gainesville, Florida 32608 1153, USA
J Pediatr 144:270-3. 2004..All had previously unrecognized type 2 diabetes, and death may have been prevented with earlier diagnosis or treatment...
- [Rhabdomyolysis in the diabetic state]Satoru Yamada
Department of Internal Medicine, Kitasato Institute Hospital
Nihon Rinsho 60:443-8. 2002
- Management of decompensated diabetes. Diabetic ketoacidosis and hyperglycemic hyperosmolar syndromeM F Magee
MedStar Diabetes Institute, Washington Hospital Center, Washington, DC, USA
Crit Care Clin 17:75-106. 2001....
- Hyperosmolar hyperglycemic state of pregnancy with intrauterine fetal demise and preeclampsiaJuan M Gonzalez
Department of Obstetrics and Gynecology, Division of Maternal Fetal Medicine, Hospital of the University of Pennsylvania, Philadelphia, PA 19104, USA
Am J Perinatol 24:541-3. 2007..The practitioner should have a high index of suspicion for HHS in obese patients presenting with hyperglycemia...
- Hyperosmolar non-ketotic syndrome in a child associated with l-asparaginase and prednisoloneBumin Dundar
Department of Pediatric Endocrinology, Suleyman Demirel University, Faculty of Medicine, Isparta, Turkey
Pediatr Int 49:256-7. 2007
- Progressive vacuolating glycine leukoencephalopathy with pulmonary hypertensionMireia Del Toro
Secció de Neurologia Infantil, Barcelona, Spain
Ann Neurol 60:148-52. 2006..The clinical and radiological evolution, as progressive vacuolating leukoencephalopathy and the association with pulmonary hypertension constitute a previously unrecognized variant...
- Hyperglycemic hyperosmolar non-ketotic syndrome in children with type 2 diabetes*Shannon H Fourtner
Department of Pediatrics, Division of Endocrinology Diabetes, Children s Hospital of Philadelphia, University of Pennsylvania School of Medicine, Philadelphia, PA 19104, USA
Pediatr Diabetes 6:129-35. 2005..This study will serve to provide updated information regarding typical clinical course and sequelae of HHNK syndrome in childhood...
- A new challenge in pediatric obesity: pediatric hyperglycemic hyperosmolar syndromeRebecca M Carchman
Pediatric Critical Care Fellow, University of North Carolina Hospital, Chapel Hill, NC, USA
Pediatr Crit Care Med 6:20-4. 2005..To describe four adolescents with hyperglycemic hyperosmolar syndrome, an uncommon presentation of type 2 diabetes in pediatric patients...
- Hyperglycemic crises: improving prevention and managementAbbas E Kitabchi
Am Fam Physician 71:1659-60. 2005
- High risk for venous thromboembolism in diabetics with hyperosmolar state: comparison with other acute medical illnessesC R Keenan
Division of General Internal Medicine, University of California, Davis, Sacramento, CA, USA
J Thromb Haemost 5:1185-90. 2007..However, clinical observations and case reports have suggested that patients with diabetes and hyperosmolarity may be at increased risk for VTE...
- Glycine encephalopathy (nonketotic hyperglycinaemia) : review and updateD A Applegarth
Department of Pediatrics, University of British Columbia, Vancouver, British Columbia
J Inherit Metab Dis 27:417-22. 2004..This article summarizes data and issues covered in the workshop on Glycine Encephalopathy using headings that cover important topics in our present knowledge of this disease...
- Continuous venovenous hemodiafiltration in hypernatremic hyperglycemic nonketotic comaJen Jar Lin
Division of Nephrology, Department of Pediatrics, Brody School of Medicine, East Carolina University, USA
Pediatr Nephrol 17:969-73. 2002..She had a full recovery of her renal function. She does not have clinical neurological sequelae from hypernatremia during a 1-year follow-up period...
- Nonketotic hypertonicity in diabetes mellitusD Lorber
Department of Endocrinology, New York Hospital Medical Center of Queens, Flushing
Med Clin North Am 79:39-52. 1995..Most deaths from NKH occur in the first 2 days of hospitalization; therefore, a significant decrease in morbidity and mortality can be expected by education of patients and their caregivers in the prevention of NKH...
- [Methanol poisoning in a 61-year old male with recently diagnosed diabetes--a case report]Jarosław Szponar
Samodzielny Publiczny Szpital Wojewódzki im Jana Bozego w Lublinie, Regionalny Ośrodek Toksykologii Klinicznej
Przegl Lek 68:521-2. 2011..The possibility of excessive consumption of aspartame and its metabolites causing methanol poisoning in the presented patient was considered...
- [Hyperglycemic hyperosmolar nonketotic coma]J Jaromczyk-Slisz
II Kliniki Chorób Wewnetrznych Instytutu Chorób Wewnetrznych Ak Med w Gdańsku
Wiad Lek 43:360-4. 1990..Heparin was given with good effect. Three patients (30%) died in hospital. The cause of death was serious disease associated with this coma: pancreatitis and myocarditis, purulent bronchopneumonia, myocardial infarction...
- Cushing's syndrome manifesting as pseudo-central hypothyroidism and hyperosmolar diabetic comaBrent R Gooch
MIMA Endocrinology, Melbourne, Florida 32901, USA
Endocr Pract 8:119-23. 2002..To report an unusual case of Cushing's syndrome caused by an adrenal pheochromocytoma, manifesting as pseudo-central hypothyroidism and diabetic hyperosmolar coma...
- New-onset type II diabetes mellitus, hyperosmolar non-ketotic coma, rhabdomyolysis and acute renal failure in a patient treated with sulpirideOmer Toprak
Nephrol Dial Transplant 20:662-3. 2005
- Vital sign triage to rule out diabetic ketoacidosis and non-ketotic hyperosmolar syndrome in hyperglycemic patientsYasuharu Tokuda
Institute of Clinical Medicine, Graduate School of Comprehensive Human Sciences, University of Tsukuba, Ibaraki, Japan
Diabetes Res Clin Pract 87:366-71. 2010..To develop a prediction algorithm to rule out diabetic ketoacidosis (DKA) and non-ketotic hyperosmolar syndrome (NKHS) based on vital signs for early triage of patients with diabetes...
- Hyperosmolar diabetic non-ketotic coma, hyperkalaemia and an unusual near death experienceJ Y Ting
Department of Emergency Medicine, Princess Alexandra Hospital, Brisbane, Queensland, Australia
Eur J Emerg Med 8:57-63. 2001..Treatment of acute hyperkalaemia includes calcium ions, insulin with dextrose, salbutamol and haemodialysis...
- Transient nonketotic hyperglycinaemia: ultrasound, CT and MRI: case reportJ Alejo
Neuroradiology 39:658-60. 1997..Only 5 patients have been previously described with this transient from of nonketotic hyperglycinaemia. Among the radiographic findings, thinning of the corpus callosum is the most characteristic...
- Occipital lobe seizures related to marked elevation of hemoglobin A1C: report of two casesWan Ling Hung
Division of Neurology, Department of Internal Medicine, Taichung Veterans General Hospital, Taichung, Taiwan, ROC
Seizure 19:359-62. 2010..We also suggest clinicians look for the presence of interictal focal beta paroxysms in addition to the usual epileptiform discharges while reading the EEG of these patients...
- Fatal malignant hyperthermia-like syndrome with rhabdomyolysis complicating the presentation of diabetes mellitus in adolescent malesAbby S Hollander
Division of Pediatric Endocrinology and Metabolism, Washington University School of Medicine and St Louis, Children s Hospital, St Louis, MO 63110, USA
Pediatrics 111:1447-52. 2003..The features include hyperglycemic hyperosmolar coma complicated by a malignant hyperthermia-like picture with fever, rhabdomyolysis, and severe cardiovascular instability...
- Hyperosmolar hyperglycaemic nonketotic coma associated with acute myocardial infarction: report of three casesMustafa Yildiz
Trakya University, School of Medicine, Cardiology Department, Edirne, Turkey
Acta Cardiol 57:271-4. 2002..This article presents three patients with this association and aimed to discuss the clinical course and treatment strategies of this rare condition...
- A survey of reports of quetiapine-associated hyperglycemia and diabetes mellitusElizabeth A Koller
Division of Metabolic and Endocrine Drug Products, Center for Drug Evaluation and Review, US Food and Drug Administration, Rockville, MD, USA
J Clin Psychiatry 65:857-63. 2004..To explore the clinical characteristics of hyperglycemia in patients treated with quetiapine...
- Investigation of markers to indicate and distinguish death due to alcoholic ketoacidosis, diabetic ketoacidosis and hyperosmolar hyperglycemic state using post-mortem samplesJoanna Hockenhull
Toxicology Unit, Imperial College London, Charing Cross Hospital, London, United Kingdom
Forensic Sci Int 214:142-7. 2012....
- Epidemiology of hyperglycemic hyperosmolar syndrome in children hospitalized in USADayanand Bagdure
Department of Pediatrics, University of Maryland School of Medicine, Division of Pediatric Critical Care Medicine, Baltimore, MD 21201, USA
Pediatr Diabetes 14:18-24. 2013..Previous studies of hyperglycemic hyperosmolar syndrome (HHS) in children are limited to case series or single-institution reviews, which describe HHS primarily in children with type 2 diabetes mellitus...
- Procedures and medications to help patients control their diabetesMaria del Carmen Garcia-Pascual
Bronglais General Hospital, Aberystwyth, Ceredigion
Emerg Nurse 20:30-5. 2012..This article outlines the similarities and differences in the symptoms and treatment of the conditions, and discusses prevention strategies...
- Evidence-based management of hyperglycemic emergencies in diabetes mellitusEbenezer A Nyenwe
Division of Endocrinology, Diabetes and Metabolism, University of Tennessee Health Science Center, Memphis, TN 38163, USA
Diabetes Res Clin Pract 94:340-51. 2011..The evidence for the role of preventive measures in DKA and HHS is also discussed. The unanswered questions and future research needs are also highlighted...
- Central pontine myelinolysis in a patient with epilepsia partialis continua and hyperglycaemic hyperosmolar stateShanying Mao
Department of Neurology, Second Affiliated Hospital of Zhejiang University, School of Medicine, 88 Jiefang Road, Hangzhou 310009, China
Ann Clin Biochem 48:79-82. 2011..This report is the first documented case of long-term hyperglycaemic hyperosmolar state leading to CPM, and highlights that CPM can present as an isolated hemiplegia...
- Hyperosmolar hyperglycemic syndrome with rhabdomyolysisMary E Stunkard
Department of Clinical Sciences, Northern Michigan University, Marquette, MI 49855, USA
Clin Lab Sci 24:8-13. 2011..This patient was found to have nonketotic hyperosmolar hyperglycemia with concomitant rhabdomyolysis and myocardial infarction...
- Hyperosmolar hyperglycaemic syndromeA Scott
The Diabetes Centre, Northern General Hospital, Sheffield, UK
Diabet Med 23:22-4. 2006
- A successfully treated case of hyperosmolar hyperglycemic state complicated with rhabdomyolysis, acute kidney injury, and ischemic colitisTomoko Izumi
Depertment of Internal Medicine, Japan Self Defense Forces Central Hospital, Tokyo
Intern Med 49:2321-6. 2010..After surgery, his general condition improved. Careful monitoring of complications related to HHS is important...
- [Current status of costs and utilizations of hospital based home health nursing care in Korea]Hosihn Ryu
College of Nursing, Korea University, Sungbuk Ku, Seoul, Korea
Taehan Kanho Hakhoe Chi 36:1193-203. 2006..The purpose of this study was to describe the current status of utilization and costs of home health nursing care by the levels of medical institutes in Korea...
- Diabetic ketoacidosis and hyperosmolar hyperglycemic stateIoanna Gouni-Berthold
Clinic II and Polyclinic for Internal Medicine, University of Cologne, Germany
Med Klin (Munich) 101:100-5. 2006..Improved patient education and implementation of measures such as home glucose and ketone monitoring might decrease the number of hospital admissions due to DKA and HHS, which are, in their majority, preventable)...
- Short-term case fatality rate and associated factors among inpatients with diabetic ketoacidosis and hyperglycemic hyperosmolar state: a hospital-based analysis over a 15-year periodHua Fen Chen
Department of Endocrinology, Far Eastern Memorial Hospital, Taipei Hsien, Taiwan
Intern Med 49:729-37. 2010..Our aim was to evaluate the 28-day case-fatality rate among hospitalized DKA and HHS patients in a teaching hospital in Taiwan from 1991 to 2005...
- [Efficacy of total removal or subtotal removal combined gamma knife radiation on giant pituitary adenoma: a report of 160 cases]Qi Hua Xiao
Department of Neurosurgery, West China Hospital, Sichuan University, Chengdu, Sichuan, 610041, P R China
Ai Zheng 26:742-7. 2007..However, the outcome, especially for giant pituitary adenoma, is not very satisfactory. This study was to explore the efficacy of total tumor removal or subtotal tumor removal combined gamma knife radiation on giant pituitary adenoma...
- [An elderly case of hyperglycemic hyperosmolar non-ketotic coma (HHNC)]Akio Kawakami
Geriatrics and Vascular Medicine, Tokyo Medical and Dental University
Nihon Ronen Igakkai Zasshi 44:756-60. 2007..It is thought that a number of elderly diabetic patients who need insulin therapy do not receive or continue it for various reasons. Discussion is necessary to grasp the actual situation and defensive actions that can be taken...
- Ventricular septal rupture presenting with hyperosmolar hyperglycemic nonketotic comaErsan Tatli
Department of Cardiology, School of Medicine, Trakya University, Edirne, Turkey
Saudi Med J 28:972-3. 2007
- [Hyperglycemic acute crisis in type 1 diabetes mellitus in youth]Durval Damiani
Instituto da Criança, Hospital das Clinicas, Faculdade de Medicina, Universidade de Sao Paulo, Sao Paulo, SP, Brasil
Arq Bras Endocrinol Metabol 52:367-74. 2008..DKA is still a high-mortality condition. And to be in a hurry frequently leads to neurologic sequelae and even to a fatal outcome...
- Diabetes mellitus and periodontal diseaseBrian L Mealey
Department of Periodontics, University of Texas Health Sciences Center at San Antonio, USA
Periodontol 2000 44:127-53. 2007
- Olanzapine-induced hyperglycaemic coma and neuroleptic malignant syndrome: case report and review of literatureN Ahuja
Wallsend Community Mental Health Team, Sir GB Hunter Hospital, Wallsend, Tyne and Wear, UK
J Psychopharmacol 24:125-30. 2010..These questions are considered in the context of currently available literature...
- Methods for the quantitative assessment of electrolyte disturbances in hyperglycaemiaE Bartoli
Dipartimento di Medicina Clinica e Sperimentale, Universita degli Studi del Piemonte Orientale A Avogadro, Novara, Italy
Nutr Metab Cardiovasc Dis 19:67-74. 2009..When Posm(1)=Posm(0), GA must equal the loss of ions induced by the osmotic diuresis (2 x DeltaNa), and the math solution is exact. We herein report data validating these new computational methods...
- Type 2 diabetes in children and adolescentsChayim Y Newmark
Saint Barnabas Medical Center Ambulatory Care Center, Livingston, New Jersey 07039, USA
Pediatr Ann 36:109-13. 2007
- Hyperosmolar coma due to exclusive glucose accumulation: recognition and computationsEttore Bartoli
Internal Medicine, Department of Clinical and Experimental Medicine, Eastern Piedmont University, Novara, Italy
Nephrology (Carlton) 14:338-44. 2009....
- Hyperglycemic crises and their complications in childrenArlan L Rosenbloom
Division of Endocrinology, Department of Pediatrics, University of Florida College of Medicine, Children s Medical Services Center, 1701 SW 16th Avenue, Gainesville 32608, USA
J Pediatr Endocrinol Metab 20:5-18. 2007..The prevention of DKA and HHS at the onset of diabetes mellitus requires a high degree of awareness and suspicion by primary care providers; prevention of recurrent DKA necessitates a diligent team effort...
- Extensive venous thrombosis of the upper extremity in a diabetic patient with a hyperosmolar hyperglycemic stateJuri Park
Department of Internal Medicine, Korea University College of Medicine, Seoul, Korea
Korean J Intern Med 21:244-7. 2006..Therefore, our patient was treated with early catheter-directed thrombolysis followed by anticoagulation...
- Diabetic emergencies in small animalsMauria A O'Brien
Department of Veterinary Clinical Medicine, University of Illinois at Urbana Champaign, 1008 West Hazelwood Drive, Urbana, IL 61802, USA
Vet Clin North Am Small Anim Pract 40:317-33. 2010..This article reviews the biochemical alterations contributing to these conditions, and discusses traditional and controversial management strategies...
- Case of the month. The details prevailPaul A Werfel
University Medical Center, State University of New York, USA
JEMS 31:36. 2006
- Tap-induced blink reflex and central nervous system dysfunction in diabetics with hyperosmolalityY Tachibana
Department of Internal Medicine, Mejiro 2nd Hospital, Tokyo, Japan
Eur Neurol 30:145-8. 1990..In some patients with similar elevations in serum osmolality the R2' component was absent at a time when consciousness was preserved. Hence, TBR may be useful in monitoring CNS dysfunction in diabetics with hyperosmolality...
- Acute complicationsM Cypress
Lovelace Health Systems, Albuquerque, USA
RN 64:26-31; quiz 32. 2001..You'll need to be able to quickly identify and know how to manage the acute complications of diabetes to help a patient avoid a tragic outcome. Here's how...
- [Proper help can save lives. Often symptoms are misinterpreted, nonetheless every second counts for the diabetic patient]Mario Hohenegger
Pflege Aktuell 56:413-5. 2002
- [Acute complications due to diabetes mellitus: Hyperosmolar nonketotic coma]Koichi Kawanishi
Kagawa Prefectural College of Health Sciences
Nihon Rinsho 60:124-8. 2002
- Hyperosmolarity and acidosis in diabetes mellitus: a three-year experience in Rhode IslandT J Wachtel
Rhode Island Hospital, Providence 02903
J Gen Intern Med 6:495-502. 1991....
- Hyperglycaemic hyperosmolar syndrome in young obese Afro-Caribbean adults--a diagnostic dilemma. Report of two casesT M Ibrahim
West Indian Med J 52:259. 2003
- [Diabetic coma. Management of diabetic ketoacidosis and nonketotic hyperosmolar coma]J Hensen
Medizinische Klinik, Klinikum Hannover Nordstadt
Internist (Berl) 44:1260-74. 2003..With today's therapeutic possibilities the therapeutic goal, i.e. a low mortality, may be achieved, dependent on the underlying illness...
- [Treatment of acute metabolic crisis in diabetes mellitus]Gyorgy Jermendy
Bajcsy Zsilinszky Kórház, III Belgyógyászati Osztály, Budapest
Orv Hetil 145:81-3. 2004
- Hyperosmolar non-ketotic diabetic syndrome associated with rhabdomyolysis and acute renal failure: a case report and review of literatureT Ka
Division of Endocrinology and Metabolism, Department of Internal Medicine, Hyogo College of Medicine, Nishinomiya, Hyogo, Japan
Diabetes Nutr Metab 16:317-22. 2003..This rare case is presented along with a review of literature...
- Hyperglycemic crises in diabetes mellitus type 2D L Trence
Division of Metabolism, Endocrinology, and Nutrition, Department of Medicine, University of Washington School of Medicine, Seattle, Washington, USA
Endocrinol Metab Clin North Am 30:817-31. 2001..Medications such as the protease inhibitors may in the future lead to a better understanding of the pathophysiology of the metabolic derangements seen in the development of type 2 diabetes mellitus...
- Acute postoperative metabolic complications of diabetesD Grimaud
Département d Anesthésie Réanimation Est Hôpital Saint Roch, Nice, France
Minerva Anestesiol 67:263-70. 2001..as it would in an non diabetic patient. Lactic acidosis due to a treatment with metformin is now very rare and occurs almost only in patients having a contraindication to the use of metformin...
- [Diabetic emergencies]W Berger
Abteilung Endokrinologie, Kantonsspital Basel
Praxis (Bern 1994) 86:308-13. 1997..When the renal function is impaired, biguanide treatment is not indicated because of the risk of lactic acidosis. Most of the diabetic emergency situations are avoidable by proper education of the patients...
- Significance of increased serum elastase 1 level during the hyperosmolar hyperglycemic non-ketotic syndromeS Umeki
Department of Medicine, Kawasaki Medical School, Okayama, Japan
Hepatogastroenterology 34:212-4. 1987..Rehydration therapy with half-normal saline solution immediately produced negative urine glucose, but the serum elastase 1 level only gradually normalized after improvement of HHNS...
- Treatment of hyperglycaemic hyperosmolar non-ketotic syndromeS N Levine
Department of Medicine, Louisiana State University Medical Center, Shreveport
Drugs 38:462-72. 1989..This review discusses the current state of knowledge concerning the pathogenesis of HHNS, the clinical features of the disorder, and a systematic approach to treatment...
- Lateral pontine and extrapontine myelinolysis associated with hypernatremia and hyperglycemiaR D McComb
Department of Pathology, University of Nebraska Medical Center, Omaha 68105
Clin Neuropathol 8:284-8. 1989..In both hypo- and hypernatremic states, the significant event may be an increase in serum sodium or serum osmolality of sufficient rapidity and magnitude...
- Diabetic hyperosmolar non-ketotic decompensationM Small
University Department of Medicine, Royal Infirmary, Glasgow
Q J Med 66:251-7. 1988....
- Fluid and electrolyte disorders associated with diabetic ketoacidosis and hyperglycemic hyperosmolar nonketotic comaD E Butts
Mount Carmel Medical Center, Columbus, Ohio
Nurs Clin North Am 22:827-36. 1987..Assessment of the patient's knowledge about diabetes is essential so that proper education can be incorporated into his or her plan of care...
- Diabetic ketoacidosis and hyperosmolar hyperglycemic nonketotic comaA E Kitabchi
Division of Endocrinology and Metabolism, University of Tennessee, Memphis
Med Clin North Am 72:1545-63. 1988..The physiology of the fed and fasted state, evaluation, therapeutic issues, recommendations for therapy, immediate follow up care, and complications of therapy are reviewed for both syndromes...
- Hyperosmolar nonketotic diabetic coma: diagnosis and managementJ T Braaten
Faculty of Health Sciences, University of Ottawa, Ontario, Canada
Geriatrics 42:83-8, 92. 1987..Complications of therapy can be congestive heart failure secondary to excessive fluid administration, hypoglycemia if too much insulin is given, and hypokalemia if potassium is inadequately replaced...