- Chest injury due to blunt trauma
Serife Tuba Liman
General Thoracic Surgery Department, Atatürk Center for Chest Diseases and Thoracic Surgery, Ankara, Turkey
Eur J Cardiothorac Surg 23:374-8. 2003
..Given its importance in trauma practice, we aimed to determine the pathologies associated with blunt chest injuries and to analyze the accurate identification of patients at high risk for major chest trauma...
- A comprehensive analysis of traumatic rib fractures: morbidity, mortality and management
Department of Thoracic Surgery, Ataturk Training and Research Hospital for Chest Disease and Chest Surgery, Ankara, Turkey
Eur J Cardiothorac Surg 24:133-8. 2003
A rib fracture secondary to blunt thoracic trauma is an important indicator of the severity of the trauma. In the present study we explored the morbidity and mortality rates and the management following rib fractures.
- Radiation-induced rib fractures after hypofractionated stereotactic body radiation therapy of non-small cell lung cancer: a dose- and volume-response analysis
Department of Radiophysics, Sahlgrenska University Hospital, Sweden
Radiother Oncol 91:360-8. 2009
The aim of this study is to analyse the dose-response and the volume-response of radiation-induced rib fractures after hypofractionated stereotactic body radiation therapy (SBRT).
- Chest wall volume receiving >30 Gy predicts risk of severe pain and/or rib fracture after lung stereotactic body radiotherapy
Neal E Dunlap
University of Virginia, Charlottesville, VA 22908, USA
Int J Radiat Oncol Biol Phys 76:796-801. 2010
..To identify the dose-volume parameters that predict the risk of chest wall (CW) pain and/or rib fracture after lung stereotactic body radiotherapy...
- Half-a-dozen ribs: the breakpoint for mortality
Benjamin T Flagel
Division of Trauma, Critical Care, and Burns, Department of Surgery, Burn Shock Trauma Institute, Stritch School of Medicine, Loyola University Medical Center, Maywood, Illinois, USA
Surgery 138:717-23; discussion 723-5. 2005
We hypothesized that the number of rib fractures independently impacted patient pulmonary morbidity and mortality.
- Radiation-induced rib fractures after hypofractionated stereotactic body radiation therapy: risk factors and dose-volume relationship
Department of Clinical Radiology, Graduate School of Medical Sciences, Kyushu University, Fukuoka, Japan
Int J Radiat Oncol Biol Phys 84:768-73. 2012
..The purpose of this study was to clarify the incidence, the clinical risk factors, and the dose-volume relationship of radiation-induced rib fracture (RIRF) after hypofractionated stereotactic body radiation therapy (SBRT)...
- Hedgehog signaling molecules in bone marrow cells at the initial stage of fracture repair
Department of Nuclear Medicine and Diagnostic Imaging, Graduate School of Medicine, Sakyo, Kyoto, Japan
Biochem Biophys Res Commun 262:443-51. 1999
..In the present study, we showed by RT-PCR of mouse rib fractures that the upregulation of Ihh mRNA occurred within hours after fracture, immediately followed by that of Ptc ..
- Spontaneous radiation-induced rib fractures in breast cancer patients treated with postmastectomy irradiation. A clinical radiobiological analysis of the influence of fraction size and dose-response relationships on late bone damage
Department of Oncology and Radiotherapy, Radiumstationen, Aarhus, Denmark
Acta Oncol 27:117-22. 1988
..Using the linear quadratic model, alpha/beta ratios for late bone damage were estimated to be within the range of 1.8-2.8 Gy, i.e. similar to those reported for other late responding normal tissues...
- Chest wall pain and rib fracture after stereotactic radiotherapy for peripheral non-small cell lung cancer
Jon Paul J Voroney
Department of Radiation Oncology, Tom Baker Cancer Centre Alberta, Canada
J Thorac Oncol 4:1035-7. 2009
..The median dose to rib fracture sites was 46 to 50 Gy, depending on the method of dose calculation. We describe a typical case of poststereotactic radiotherapy rib fracture and present dosimetric analysis of patients with rib fracture...
- Case report: ultrasound-guided continuous thoracic paravertebral block for outpatient acute pain management of multilevel unilateral rib fractures
Department of Anesthesiology, Columbia University, St Luke s Roosevelt Hospital, New York, NY 10025, USA
Anesth Analg 116:255-7. 2013
A 61-year-old man with multiple unilateral rib fractures (T3-T8) gained the ability to breathe deeply and to ambulate after ultrasound-guided continuous thoracic paravertebral block and was discharged home after being observed for 15 ..
- Chest wall toxicity after stereotactic body radiotherapy for malignant lesions of the lung and liver
David L Andolino
Department of Radiation Oncology, Indiana University School of Medicine, Indianapolis, IN 46202, USA
Int J Radiat Oncol Biol Phys 80:692-7. 2011
..To quantify the frequency of rib fracture and chest wall (CW) pain and identify the dose-volume parameters that predict CW toxicity after stereotactic body radiotherapy (SBRT)...
- An analysis of 214 cases of rib fractures
Department of Emergency Medicine, Cumhuriyet University Medical School, Sivas, Turkey
Clinics (Sao Paulo) 66:449-51. 2011
b>Rib fractures are the most common type of injury associated with trauma to the thorax. In this study, we investigated whether morbidity and mortality rates increased in correlation with the number of fractured ribs.
- Rib fractures: relationship with pneumonia and mortality
Karen J Brasel
Department of Surgery, Injury Research Center, Medical College of Wisconsin, USA
Crit Care Med 34:1642-6. 2006
..Sample size has limited the assessment of other risk factors. We used a national database to analyze suspected risk factors contributing to pneumonia and mortality in patients sustaining rib fractures.
- Prevalence and characteristics of rib fractures in ex-preterm infants
Section of Child Health, Royal Hospital for Sick Children, Yorkhill, Glasgow, United Kingdom
Pediatrics 130:1116-9. 2012
This study aimed to identify the prevalence and characteristics of rib fractures in ex-preterm infants.
- Epidemiology of rib fractures in older men: Osteoporotic Fractures in Men (MrOS) prospective cohort study
Department of Family and Preventive Medicine, University of California, San Diego, 9500 Gilman Drive, La Jolla, CA 92093 0607, USA
BMJ 340:c1069. 2010
To study the causes and consequences of radiologically confirmed rib fractures (seldom considered in the context of osteoporosis) in community dwelling older men.
- Management of patients with multiple rib fractures
University of Arkansas for Medical Sciences, College of Nursing, Little Rock, Ark, USA
Am J Crit Care 10:320-7; quiz 328-9. 2001
Multiple rib fractures in trauma patients are associated with significant morbidity and mortality...
- Rib fractures under anterior-posterior dynamic loads: experimental and finite-element study
Center for Applied Biomechanics, University of Virginia, Charlottesville, VA, USA
J Biomech 43:228-34. 2010
- The evaluation of diagnostic accordance between plain radiography and bone scintigraphy for the assessment of sternum and rib fractures in the early period of blunt trauma
Ege University Medical School, Emergency Department, , Turkey
Ulus Travma Derg 7:242-5. 2001
..5%), while scintigraphy suggested pathologies in 24 (70.5%) patients. Rib fractures were identified radiographically in 16 (47%) and scintigraphically in 17 (50%) patients...
- Overexpression of BMP3 in the developing skeleton alters endochondral bone formation resulting in spontaneous rib fractures
Laura W Gamer
Department of Developmental Biology, Harvard School of Dental Medicine, Boston, Massachusetts 02115, USA
Dev Dyn 238:2374-81. 2009
..BMP3 transgenic mice displayed spontaneous rib fractures that were first detected at E17.0...
- Risk factors for 24-hour mortality after traumatic rib fractures owing to motor vehicle accidents: a nationwide population-based study
Yung Chang Lien
Division of Thoracic Surgery, Department of Surgery, Taipei Medical University and Hospital, Taipei, Taiwan
Ann Thorac Surg 88:1124-30. 2009
..We used 3-year population-based data in Taiwan to evaluate risk factors associated with 24-hour mortality among adults with obvious rib fractures and needing hospitalization after traffic accidents.
- The diagnosis and treatment of non-cardiac thoracic trauma
J V O'Connor
R Adams Cowley Shock Trauma Center, University of Maryland School of Medicine, Baltimore, Maryland, USA
J R Army Med Corps 156:5-14. 2010
..Detailed imaging studies are reserved for haemodynamically stable patients. The evaluation and treatment of specific thoracic injuries will be discussed, as well as some general principles in treating thoracic trauma...
- Rib fractures identified at post-mortem examination in sudden unexpected deaths in infancy (SUDI)
Martin A Weber
Department of Paediatric Pathology, Great Ormond Street Hospital For Children and UCL Institute of Child Health, Great Ormond Street, London WC1N 3JH, UK
Forensic Sci Int 189:75-81. 2009
b>Rib fractures may be associated with non-accidental injury (NAI) in infancy, but the possible significance of fresh rib fractures in relation to resuscitation remains undetermined...
- Rib fractures in the elderly
E M Bulger
Harborview Medical Center, Seattle, Washington 98104 2499, USA
J Trauma 48:1040-6; discussion 1046-7. 2000
We sought to ascertain the extent to which advanced age influences the morbidity and mortality after rib fractures (fxs), to define the relationship between number of rib fractures and morbidity and mortality, and to evaluate the ..
- Rib fractures in the elderly: a marker of injury severity
Stanislaw P Stawicki
Department of Surgery, St Luke s Hospital and Health Netowkr, Bethlehem, Pennsylvania, USA
J Am Geriatr Soc 52:805-8. 2004
To examine the relationship between the number of rib fractures (RIBFs) and mortality, injury severity, and resource consumption in elderly patients admitted to trauma centers.
- Cough-induced rib fractures
Division of Pulmonary and Critical Care Medicine, Mayo Clinic College of Medicine, Rochester, Minn 55905, USA
Mayo Clin Proc 80:879-82. 2005
To define the demographic, clinical, and radiological features of patients with cough-induced rib fractures and to assess potential risk factors.
- Bilateral fractured clavicles with multiple rib fractures
Oxford Radcliffe Hospitals, Oxford, UK
Emerg Med J 24:675. 2007
- [Indicators of severity in chest trauma]
Servicio de Cirugía Torácica, Hospital Universitario de Gran Canaria Dr Negrin, Las Palmas de Gran Canaria, Las Palmas, Espana
Arch Bronconeumol 44:257-62. 2008
..We undertook a review of patients with chest trauma attended between January 1992 and June 2005 in order to establish severity criteria in these cases...
- The positive predictive value of rib fractures as an indicator of nonaccidental trauma in children
Katherine A Barsness
Department of Surgery, The Children s Hospital, University of Colorado Health Sciences Center, Denver, USA
J Trauma 54:1107-10. 2003
b>Rib fractures have a strong association with nonaccidental trauma (NAT) and severe trauma...
- Flail chest and pulmonary contusion
Division of Cardiothoracic Surgery, University of Texas Health Science Center at San Antonio, San Antonio, TX 78229 3900, USA
Semin Thorac Cardiovasc Surg 20:39-45. 2008
..At the end of this section are listed the current major recommendations and their levels of evidence...
- Use of a remifentanil PCA for a patient with multiple rib fractures
Patrick Colm Dill-Russell
Can J Anaesth 49:757. 2002
- Transcutaneous electrical nerve stimulation for pain management in patients with uncomplicated minor rib fractures
Kartal Education and Research Hospital, Department of General Surgery, Cevizli Istanbul, Turkey
Eur J Cardiothorac Surg 22:13-7. 2002
Few non-surgical conditions are more painful than rib fractures. There are a few methods for pain relief in patients with minor rib fractures.
- Randomized, double-blind, placebo-controlled trial using lidocaine patch 5% in traumatic rib fractures
Nichole K Ingalls
Michigan State University Grand Rapids Medical Education and Research Center, Grand Rapids, MI, USA
J Am Coll Surg 210:205-9. 2010
..Anecdotal experience at our institution suggests the lidocaine patch 5% decreases narcotic usage in patients with traumatic rib fractures. This trial was developed to define the patch's efficacy.
- CT diagnosis of Rib fractures and the prediction of acute respiratory failure
David H Livingston
Division of Trauma, Department of Surgery, New Jersey Medical School, Newark, New Jersey, USA
J Trauma 64:905-11. 2008
The number of rib fractures has been reported to correlate with mortality after blunt chest trauma...
- Rib fractures in chronic alcoholic men: Relationship with feeding habits, social problems, malnutrition, bone alterations, and liver dysfunction
Servicios de Medicina Interna, Hospital Universitario, Universidad de La Laguna, Ofra s n, Tenerife, Canary Islands, Spain
Alcohol 37:113-7. 2005
b>Rib fractures are common in alcoholics. This high prevalence might be due to ethanol-associated malnutrition, bone disease, liver dysfunction, or the peculiar lifestyle of the alcoholic with frequent trauma and altercations...
- Non-accidental injury: a retrospective analysis of a large cohort
RLC NHS Trust Alder Hey, Liverpool L12 2 AP, UK
Eur Radiol 12:2919-25. 2002
..It necessarily reflects personal experience and is not a population study. The distribution of the injuries in a cohort of 467 patients is reviewed...
- No difference in autopsy detected injuries in cardiac arrest patients treated with manual chest compressions compared with mechanical compressions with the LUCAS device--a pilot study
Department of Surgical Sciences Anaesthesiology and Intensive Care, Uppsala University, SE 751 85 Uppsala, Sweden
Resuscitation 80:1104-7. 2009
..To compare the variety and incidence of internal injuries after manual and mechanical chest compressions during CPR...
- Epidural analgesia improves outcome after multiple rib fractures
Eileen M Bulger
Departments of Surgery and Anesthesiology, Harborview Medical Center, University of Washington, Seattle, WA 98005, USA
Surgery 136:426-30. 2004
b>Rib fractures are common and associated with significant pulmonary morbidity. We hypothesized that epidural analgesia would provide superior pain relief, and reduce the risk of subsequent pneumonia.
- Acupuncture for central pain affecting the ribcage following traumatic brain injury and rib fractures--a case report
Clare P Donnellan
Linden lodge Neuro Rehabilitation Unit, Nottingham University Hospitals NHS Trust, Nottingham, UK
Acupunct Med 24:129-33. 2006
..central pain in a 51 year old man following severe traumatic brain injury and multiple injuries including rib fractures. The patient reported rapid and significant improvements in pain and mood during a course of acupuncture ..
- Comparison of computed tomography and chest radiography in the detection of rib fractures in abused infants
Sandra L Wootton-Gorges
Department of Radiology, University of California, Davis Medical Center and UC Davis Children s Hospital, 4860 Y Street, Sacramento, CA 95817, USA
Child Abuse Negl 32:659-63. 2008
Chest radiographs (CXR) are the standard method for evaluating rib fractures in abused infants. Computed tomography (CT) is a sensitive method to detect rib fractures...
- How common are rib fractures in extremely low birth weight preterm infants?
Department of Paediatrics, Saint Mary s Hospital for Women and Children, Hathersage Road, Manchester, UK
Arch Dis Child Fetal Neonatal Ed 94:F138-9. 2009
This study was prompted by incidental finding of healing rib fractures on chest radiographs of ex-preterm born infants, who were admitted to hospital with acute respiratory illnesses within a few weeks of discharge from the neonatal ..
- Hospital-treated minimal-trauma rib fractures in elderly Finns: long-term trends and projections for the future
Accident and Trauma Research Center, UKK Institute for Health Promotion Research, Kaupinpuistonkatu 1, 33500, Tampere, Finland
Osteoporos Int 15:649-53. 2004
We determined the current trends in the number and incidence of hospital-treated minimal-trauma rib fractures (low- to moderate-energy traumas typically caused by a fall from standing height or less) in Finnish elderly people by ..
- Rib fractures in infants due to cardiopulmonary resuscitation efforts
Cuyahoga County Coroner s Office, Cleveland, Ohio 44106, USA
Am J Forensic Med Pathol 28:107-10. 2007
..cardiopulmonary resuscitation (CPR) efforts, relatively little is written about the generation of CPR-related rib fractures in the infant age range...
- Rib fractures in infancy: establishing the mechanisms of cause from the injuries--a literature review
M J Worn
Institute of Medical Engineering and Medical Physics, Cardiff School of Engineering, Cardiff University, PO BOX 685, The Parade, Cardiff, CF24 3TA, Wales, UK
Med Sci Law 47:200-12. 2007
In the absence of a history of a significant accidental event, the most likely diagnosis in an infant with rib fractures is non-accidental injury...
- Rib fractures predict incident limb fractures: results from the European prospective osteoporosis study
A A Ismail
Department of Rheumatology, Stepping Hill Hospital, Stockport, UK
Osteoporos Int 17:41-5. 2006
Population studies suggest that rib fractures are associated with a reduction in bone mass...
- Birth-related mid-posterior rib fractures in neonates: a report of three cases (and a possible fourth case) and a review of the literature
Rick R van Rijn
Department of Radiology, Academic Medical Centre Amsterdam, Meibergdreef 9, Amsterdam Zuid Oost 1105 AZ, The Netherlands
Pediatr Radiol 39:30-4. 2009
Posterior rib fractures in young children have a high positive predictive value for non-accidental injury (NAI)...
- Evaluation by ultrasound of traumatic rib fractures missed by radiography
Department of Thoracic Surgery, Ordu State Hospital, 52 200, Ordu, Turkey
Emerg Radiol 17:473-7. 2010
b>Rib fractures are the most common (25%) injuries resulting from blunt chest trauma, and are usually revealed on radiographs...
- Effect of epidural analgesia in patients with traumatic rib fractures: a systematic review and meta-analysis of randomized controlled trials
François M Carrier
Department of Anesthesiology, Hopital de l Enfant Jesus, Universite Laval, 1401, 18ème rue, Quebec, QC G1J 1Z4, Canada
Can J Anaesth 56:230-42. 2009
..recently proposed epidural analgesia as the optimal analgesic modality for patients with multiple traumatic rib fractures. However, its beneficial effects are not consistently recognized in the literature...
- Isolated rib fractures in elderly patients: mortality and morbidity
Department of Surgery A, Tel Aviv Sourasky Medical Center and the Sackler Faculty of Medicine, Tel Aviv University, Israel
Can J Surg 45:43-6. 2002
To describe the management, morbidity and mortality seen with isolated rib fractures in elderly patients and assess the need for hospitalization.
- Thoracic trauma: an analysis of 187 patients
Departments of Thoracic and Vascular Surgery and of Intensive Care, University Hospital of Antwerp, Edegem, Belgium
Acta Chir Belg 101:277-82. 2001
..8 (ranges: 4-75). In only 17.6% of the patients an isolated thoracic trauma was present. Rib fractures (n = 133), pulmonary contusion (n = 110), pneumothorax (n = 78) and haemothorax (n = 65) were the most ..
- Clinical rib fractures: are follow-up chest X-rays a waste of resources?
Brian J Bansidhar
Department of Surgery and Clinical Research, Temple University Conemaugh Memorial Medical Center, Johnstown, Pennsylvania 15905, USA
Am Surg 68:449-53. 2002
b>Rib fractures (RFs) are estimated to be present in 10 per cent of all traumatic injuries. However, up to 50 per cent of all fractures go undetected on the screening chest X-ray (CXR)...
- [Chest trauma: analysis of 126 cases]
Tip Fakültesi Göğüs Cerrahisi Kliniği 65200 Van
Ulus Travma Derg 6:288-91. 2000
..Hemo and/or pneumothorax represented the most common thoracic injury (85.7%). Rib fractures were present in 47 cases (36.2% with more than 3 rib fractures)...
- α(1) adrenergic receptor agonist, phenylephrine, actively contracts early rat rib fracture callus ex vivo
Stuart J McDonald
Musculoskeletal Research Centre, School of Human Biosciences, La Trobe University, Victoria 3086, Australia
J Orthop Res 29:740-5. 2011
..We propose that increased concentrations of α(1) AR agonists such as noradrenaline may tonically contract callus in vivo to promote osteogenesis...
- Epidural buprenorphine in management of pain in multiple rib fractures
Brookdale University Hospital and Medical Center, Brooklyn, NY 11212, USA
Acta Anaesthesiol Scand 46:660-5. 2002
Pain from multiple rib fractures may affect pulmonary function, morbidity, and length of stay in the intensive care units...
- Analysis of epidemiology, lesions, treatment and outcome of 354 consecutive cases of blunt and penetrating trauma to the chest in an African setting
Alain Chichom Mefire
University of Buea, Cameroon
S Afr J Surg 48:90-3. 2010
..The proportion of death and disability related to trauma is increasing in Third-World countries. Thoracic trauma is significantly involved, but few data are available on this issue in African countries with specific local conditions...
- Continuous intercostal nerve blockade for rib fractures: ready for primetime?
Michael S Truitt
Methodist Dallas Medical Center, Dallas, Texas, USA
J Trauma 71:1548-52; discussion 1552. 2011
Providing analgesia for patients with rib fractures continues to be a management challenge. The objective of this study was to examine our experience with the use of a continuous intercostal nerve block (CINB)...
- Morbidity from rib fractures increases after age 45
John B Holcomb
Department of Surgery, University of Texas Health Sciences Center, Houston, TX, USA
J Am Coll Surg 196:549-55. 2003
Recent studies have demonstrated increased morbidity in elderly patients with rib fractures after blunt trauma...
- Disclosure of unnoticed rib fractures with the use of ultrasonography in minor blunt chest trauma
Department of Thoracic Surgery, University of Kirikkale, School of Medicine, 71100 Kirikkale, Turkey
Eur J Cardiothorac Surg 24:608-13. 2003
b>Rib fractures are the most common injuries resulting from blunt chest trauma. The sensitivity of chest X-rays in showing the rib fractures is limited particularly in those involving the cartilage part of the rib...
- Anatomically contoured plates for fixation of rib fractures
Legacy Biomechanics Laboratory, Portland, Oregon, USA
J Trauma 68:611-5. 2010
..This study implemented for the first time biometric parameters to derive anatomically contoured rib plates. These plates were tested on a range of cadaveric ribs to quantify plate fit and to extract a best-fit plating configuration...
- Fatality risk and the presence of rib fractures
University of Virginia Center for Applied Biomechanics, Dept of Mechanical and Aerospace Engineering, Charlottesville, VA, USA
Ann Adv Automot Med 52:73-82. 2008
b>Rib fractures may be dismissed as clinically insignificant, or of secondary importance in a patient presenting with other serious injuries, especially if the patient is young...
- Delayed heart perforation after blunt trauma
Division of General Thoracic Surgery, University Hospital, 3010 Berne, Switzerland
Eur J Cardiothorac Surg 21:121-3. 2002
..Outcome was favourable and the patient was operated on for his flail chest by internal stabilization the next day...
- Less-invasive stabilization of rib fractures by intramedullary fixation: a biomechanical evaluation
Biomechanics Laboratory, Legacy Research and Technology Center, Portland, Oregon 97232, USA
J Trauma 68:1218-24. 2010
This study evaluated intramedullary fixation of rib fractures with Kirschner wires and novel ribs splints...
- Evaluation of intramedullary rib splints for less-invasive stabilisation of rib fractures
Biomechanics Laboratory, Legacy Research and Technology Centre, Portland, OR 97232, USA
Injury 40:1104-10. 2009
Intramedullary fixation of rib fractures with generic Kirschner wires has been practiced for over 50 years. However, this technique has not been advanced to address reported complications of wire migration and cut-out...
- Thoracic trauma in horses
Diana M Hassel
Equine Emergency Surgery and Critical Care, Colorado State University, Fort Collins, CO 80526, USA
Vet Clin North Am Equine Pract 23:67-80. 2007
..Emergency management of these various forms of thoracic trauma is discussed...
- [Arterial air embolism following multiple injuries after a fall from the tenth floor]
Klinik fur Anasthesiologie, Intensiv und Notfallmedizin, BG Kliniken Bergmannstrost, Merseburgerstrasse 165, 06112, Halle Saale, Germany
Unfallchirurg 110:711-5. 2007
..Besides stabilizing the circulation with i.v. fluids, blood transfusion and catecholamine therapy, the use of hyperbaric oxygenation was the decisive therapeutic measure...
- [Emergency surgery for chest injuries in the multiply injured: a systematic review]
U C Liener
Abteilung für Unfall, Hand, Plastische und Wiederherstellungschirurgie, Universitatsklinik, Steinhovelstrasse 9, 89075 Ulm
Unfallchirurg 109:447-52. 2006
..This systematic review assesses the early operative management of severe chest trauma in multi injured patients with special regard to the priority of the operative therapy...
- [Chest injury. Part I: Significance--symptoms--diagnostic procedures]
Klinik für Unfallchirurgie, Universitatsklinikum Essen, Hufelandstrasse 55, 45147 Essen, Deutschland
Unfallchirurg 109:777-84; quiz 785. 2006
..The first part of this serial paper on the management of chest injuries focuses on anatomical aspects, pathophysiology and symptoms, but mainly on the indications for the standard diagnostic procedures and further high-tech examinations...
- [Diaphragmatic traumatic hernia]
Juan José Olivares-Becerra
Departamento de Cirugia General, UMAE Hospital de Especialidades, Centro Medico Nacional de Occidente, Instituto Mexicano del Seguro Social, Guadalajara, Jalisco, Mexico
Cir Cir 74:415-23. 2006
..We undertook this study to describe the clinical characteristics of consecutive patients with traumatic diaphragmatic hernias treated surgically at our institution...
- Rare lung trauma in early pregnancy
Krzysztof M Kuczkowski
Arch Gynecol Obstet 275:511. 2007
- [Reconstruction of a crushed chest with HI-TEX PARP NT implant]
Chirurgische Klinik, Universitätskrankenhaus, Alej Svobody 80, 30460 Pilsen, Czech Republic
Unfallchirurg 110:255-8. 2007
..The presented procedure is being discussed as an alternative to metallic fixation in thoracic instability in cases of devastating injury or injury resulting in bone and tissue loss...
- Blunt and penetrating traumatic ruptures of the diaphragm
Department of Thoracic Surgery, Faculty of Medicine, Afyon Kocatepe University, Pembe Hastane, 03200 Afyon, Turkey
Thorac Cardiovasc Surg 54:324-7. 2006
..The purpose of this study was to review our experience with the management of TDR in order to identify the factors contributing to diagnostic delay and associated morbidity and mortality...
- The use of chest computed tomography versus chest X-ray in patients with major blunt trauma
Trauma Service, Royal North Shore Hospital, St Leonards, NSW 2065, Australia
Injury 38:43-7. 2007
..This study identifies the clinical features associated with further diagnostic information obtained on a CT chest scan compared with a standard chest X-ray in patients sustaining blunt trauma to the chest...
- Cardiac impalement from a rib after blunt trauma
William R Wrightson
Department of Surgery, University of Louisville, Louisville, Kentucky 40292, USA
Am Surg 73:465-7. 2007
..The diagnosis, surgical approach, and course of the patient are discussed...
- Towards evidence based emergency medicine: best BETs from the Manchester Royal Infirmary. Epidural analgesia/anaesthesia versus systemic intravenous opioid analgesia in the management of blunt thoracic trauma
Royal Bolton Hospital, UK
Emerg Med J 24:848-9. 2007
..The clinical bottom line is that epidural analgesia may provide better pain relief, but may not alter clinical outcomes...
- [Treatment in unstable thorax. Case report]
Juan Matus Jiménez
Hospital General La Villa
Acta Ortop Mex 22:55-8. 2008
..The anchors were retired in week number four and after 3 months he reintegrated to normal labor and daily activities, with limitation on flexo-extension of the left elbow by arthrogryposis...
- Delayed pneumothorax complicating minor rib fracture after chest trauma
Ming Shian Lu
Division of Thoracic Surgery, Chang Gung Memorial Hospital, Chang Gung University, Putz City, Chiayi County, Taiwan
Am J Emerg Med 26:551-4. 2008
..We evaluated the safety of close observation in patients with delayed PTX complicating rib fracture after minor chest trauma...
- Thoracic trauma: presentation and management outcome
Department of Surgery, Pakistan Institute of Medical Sciences, Islamabad
J Coll Physicians Surg Pak 18:230-3. 2008
..To determine the presentation and management outcome of thoracic trauma in a tertiary care setting...
- Perils of rib fractures
Om P Sharma
Department of Trauma Services, The Toledo Hospital and Toledo Children s Hospital, Toledo, Ohio, USA
Am Surg 74:310-4. 2008
b>Rib fractures (RF) are noted in 4 to 12 per cent of trauma admissions. To define RF risks at a Level 1 trauma center, investigators conducted a 10-year (1995-2004) retrospective analysis of all trauma patients...
- The extrapleural fat sign
Elena Alventosa Fernández
J Thorac Cardiovasc Surg 135:225-6. 2008
- Three-dimensional imaging of traumatic multiple fractures of the thorax by multislice computed tomography
Department of Chest Surgery, Saiseikai Fukuoka General Hospital, Chuo Ku, Fukuoka, Japan
Ann Thorac Surg 85:344. 2008
- Chest injuries - what is new?
Division of Trauma Surgery, University Hospital Zurich, Zurich, Switzerland
Curr Opin Crit Care 13:674-9. 2007
..This article reviews new aspects about the significance, diagnosis and treatment of different chest injuries...
- [Extensive traumatic pneumomediastinum. without injuries of organs in the thorax: report of a case]
Department of Cancer and Thoracic Surgery, Okayama University Graduate School of Medicine and Dentistry, Okayama, Japan
Kyobu Geka 60:942-5. 2007
..findings taken immediately after trauma demonstrated pneumo-mediastinum, subcutaneous emphysema with multiple rib fractures and right clavicle fracture...
- Diagnostic dilemmas and current controversies in blunt chest trauma
Department of Emergency Medicine, Beth Israel Deaconess Medical Center, One Deaconess Road, W CC 2, Boston, MA 02215, USA
Emerg Med Clin North Am 25:695-711, viii-ix. 2007
..The article concludes with a discussion of the management of rib fractures in the elderly.
- [Mitral valve incompetence after blunt chest trauma. Case report and review of the literature in special consideration of legal medical opinions]
Medizinische Klinik II, Kardiologie und Angiologie, Berufsgenossenschaftliches Universitätsklinikum Bergmannsheil, Ruhr Universitat Bochum, Burkle de la Camp Platz 1, Bochum
Med Klin (Munich) 103:433-9. 2008
..Preexisting mitral valve disease, especially the prolapse syndrome, has to be differentiated from trauma-induced dysfunction. This differentiation may be important for delivering an official legal medical opinion...
- Blunt traumatic injuries of the lung parenchyma, pleura, thoracic wall, and intrathoracic airways: multidetector computer tomography imaging findings
Guillermo P Sangster
Department of Radiology, LSUHSC S, 1501 Kings Highway, Shreveport, LA 71130, USA
Emerg Radiol 14:297-310. 2007
..The limitations of the initial chest radiography and the benefits of MDCT authenticate this imaging technique as the best modality in the diagnosis of chest trauma...
- [Thoracic injuries at a regional trauma centre]
Hans Olav Kjøs
Det medisinske fakultet, Norges Teknisk Naturvitenskapelige Universitet, 7030 Trondheim
Tidsskr Nor Laegeforen 127:1496-9. 2007
..The purpose of this study was to establish patient characteristics and the severity and extent of thoracic injury for patients referred to a Norwegian regional trauma centre...
- Scapula fractures: a marker for concomitant injury? A retrospective review of data in the National Trauma Database
Keith D Baldwin
Department of Orthopaedic Surgery, University of Pennsylvania, Philadelphia, Pennsylvania 19104 4283, USA
J Trauma 65:430-5. 2008
..The goal of this study was to determine whether there was a relationship between scapula fractures and concomitant injury and which injuries related simply to the increased injury severity observed in this patient population...
- Large extrapleural hematoma in an anticoagulated patient after a thoracic blunt trauma
Department of Surgery Pietro Valdoni, University of Rome, La Sapienza, Italy, Servizio Speciale di Chirurgia d Urgenza 1
Ann Ital Chir 75:83-5; discussion 86. 2004
..a traumatic extrapleural hematoma that developed in an anticoagulated patient with a thoracic blunt trauma and rib fractures, and required an emergency surgical treatment...
- [Pneumothorax revealed by postoperative computed tomography]
Department of Anesthesiology, Fukuoka University School of Medicine, Fukuoka 814 0180
Masui 54:1306-8. 2005
..Pneumothorax was not evident on a postoperative chest X-ray, but computed tomography of the chest demonstrated right-sided pneumothorax. An ECG electrode had overlapped the fractured rib on the preoperative chest X-ray...
- [Traumatic aortic regurgitation complicating chronic bronchitis; report of a case]
Department of Cardiovascular Surgery, Okazaki City Hospital, Okazaki, Japan
Kyobu Geka 58:1087-9. 2005
..He received blunt trauma to the left chest wall including left rib fractures, pneumothorax, hemothorax and a fracture of left scapula...
- Influence of flail chest on outcome among patients with severe thoracic cage trauma
George C Velmahos
Division of Trauma and Critical Care, Department of Surgery, University of Southern California, Los Angeles, California, USA
Int Surg 87:240-4. 2002
Flail chest is associated with a higher morbidity compared with multiple rib fractures, and it requires early intubation. This was a prospective comparative uncontrolled study at an academic level 1 trauma center...
- A 44-year-old woman with multiple blunt trauma related to horseback riding
Division of Trauma and Critical Care Services, Memorial Regional Hospital, Hollywood, Florida 33021, USA
J Emerg Nurs 31:458-9. 2005
- Do all patients with left costal margin injuries require radiographic evaluation for intraabdominal injury?
James F Holmes
Department of Emergency Medicine, University of California, School of Medicine, Davis, CA, USA
Ann Emerg Med 46:232-6. 2005
..We determine whether all patients with pain or tenderness to the left lower ribs after blunt traumatic injury require abdominal computed tomography (CT) scanning for the detection of splenic injury...
- Pulmonary trauma emergency department evaluation and management
Edward A Ullman
Department of Emergency Medicine, Beth Israel Deaconess Medical Center, Harvard Medical School, Boston, MA 02155, USA
Emerg Med Clin North Am 21:291-313. 2003
..This rise in respiratory injuries will require a more aggressive approach of patients with minimal morbidity and mortality. A systematic approach to respiratory injuries is crucial to improving patient outcomes...
- A traumatic pneumothorax as a result of a rib fracture in a college baseball player
Maureen K Dwyer
University of Kentucky, Lexington, KY, USA
Orthopedics 26:726-7. 2003
- [Intraspinal air, a rare complication of blunt chest trauma]
Service de Reanimation Polyvalente, hôpital Al Ghassani, Fes, Maroc, SAMU 93, EA 3409, Hopital Avicenne, 125, rue de Stalingrad, 93009 Bobigny Cedex, France
Ann Fr Anesth Reanim 24:421-4. 2005
..The chest CT-scan showed a bilateral-hemothorax, a small right pneumothorax, rib fractures, and a fracture of the fourth thoracic vertebra associated with air in the spinal canal extending from T6 to ..
- Operative chest wall fixation with osteosynthesis plates
Clinical Research and Technology Center, Legacy Health System, Portland, Oregon 97212, USA
J Trauma 58:181-6. 2005
- Efficacy of thoracic computerized tomography in blunt chest trauma
Department of Surgery, Allegheny General Hospital, Pittsburgh, Pennsylvania, USA
Am Surg 67:660-4. 2001
..In patients with severe mechanisms of injury and normal CXRs TCT expeditiously identifies occult chest injuries that require treatment in 5 per cent of this population...
- [Application of multislice spiral CT (MSCT) in multiple injured patients and its effect on diagnostic and therapeutic algorithms]
Spitäler Chur AG, Department für Radiologie, Chur, Schweiz
Rofo 176:1734-42. 2004
..An optimized whole body CT protocol for the assessment of trauma victims using MSCT as well as a two-step algorithm for reporting the imaging findings depending on their clinical significance is presented...
- Anterior pneumothorax and a negative chest X-ray in trauma
Sean O Henderson
Department of Emergency Medicine, Keck School of Medicine, University of Southern California, Los Angeles, California 90033, USA
J Emerg Med 26:231-2. 2004
- Blunt chest trauma
V O Adegboye
Cardiothoracic Unit of the Department of Surgery, University College Hospital, Ibadan, Nigeria
Afr J Med Med Sci 31:315-20. 2002
..2% (154 patients) among 426 patients. We conclude that majority of blunt chest trauma can be managed by simple procedures with minimal complications. Severe soft tissue chest injuries can occur without bony chest wall fractures...
- Stabilisation of thoracic wall in patients with chest injury
Surgical Department, Faculty Hospital, Ruzinov, Bratislava, Slovakia
Bratisl Lek Listy 103:176-8. 2002
..In indicated cases, the authors recommend an active surgical approach in the treatment of patients with unstable thoracic injuries. (Tab. 2, Fig. 2, Ref. 3.)...