Genomes and Genes
Summary: Broken bones in the vertebral column.
Publications387 found, 100 shown here
- An estimate of the worldwide prevalence and disability associated with osteoporotic fracturesO Johnell
Department of Orthopaedics, Malmo University Hospital, Malmo, Sweden
Osteoporos Int 17:1726-33. 2006..The aim of this study was to quantify the global burden of osteoporotic fracture worldwide...
- Ankylosing spondylitis and the risk of fracture: results from a large primary care-based nested case-control studyD Vosse
Department of Internal Medicine, Division of Rheumatology, University Hospital Maastricht, 6202 AZ Maastricht, The Netherlands
Ann Rheum Dis 68:1839-42. 2009..This study further explores the risk of clinical vertebral and non-vertebral fractures in a large population database...
- Mortality after osteoporotic fracturesO Johnell
Department of Orthopaedics, Malmo University Hospital, Malmo, Sweden
Osteoporos Int 15:38-42. 2004..The decreasing mortality with time after fracture may be due in part to a decrease in deaths causally related to the fracture. The extent to which early intervention for osteoporosis might avoid some of these deaths is unknown...
- New technologies in spine: kyphoplasty and vertebroplasty for the treatment of painful osteoporotic compression fracturesS R Garfin
University of California, San Diego, California, USA
Spine (Phila Pa 1976) 26:1511-5. 2001..Literature review...
- Relation between fractures and mortality: results from the Canadian Multicentre Osteoporosis StudyGeorge Ioannidis
Department of Medicine, McMaster University, Hamilton, Ont
CMAJ 181:265-71. 2009..Fractures have largely been assessed by their impact on quality of life or health care costs. We conducted this study to evaluate the relation between fractures and mortality...
- Effect of parathyroid hormone (1-34) on fractures and bone mineral density in postmenopausal women with osteoporosisR M Neer
Massachusetts General Hospital and Harvard Medical School, Boston, USA
N Engl J Med 344:1434-41. 2001..The 40-microg dose increased bone mineral density more than the 20-microg dose but had similar effects on the risk of fracture and was more likely to have side effects...
- Halo-vest immobilization increases early morbidity and mortality in elderly odontoid fracturesRobert Z Tashjian
Department of Surgery, Brown Medical School, Rhode Island Hospital, 2 Dudley Street, 170 Cooperative Care Building, Providence, RI 02905, USA
J Trauma 60:199-203. 2006..We review a series of odontoid fractures in elderly patients and evaluate for predictors for in-hospital morbidity and mortality...
- Efficacy and safety of balloon kyphoplasty compared with non-surgical care for vertebral compression fracture (FREE): a randomised controlled trialDouglas Wardlaw
Orthopaedic Department, Woodend Hospital, NHS Grampian, Aberdeen, UK
Lancet 373:1016-24. 2009..Balloon kyphoplasty is a minimally invasive procedure for the treatment of painful vertebral fractures, which is intended to reduce pain and improve quality of life. We assessed the efficacy and safety of the procedure...
- Once-yearly zoledronic acid for treatment of postmenopausal osteoporosisDennis M Black
University of California, San Francisco, San Francisco, CA 94107, USA
N Engl J Med 356:1809-22. 2007..We assessed the effects of annual infusions of zoledronic acid on fracture risk during a 3-year period...
- Severity of prevalent vertebral fractures and the risk of subsequent vertebral and nonvertebral fractures: results from the MORE trialP D Delmas
University Claude Bernard of Lyon, and INSERM Research Unit 403, Hopital Edouard Herriot, Lyon, France
Bone 33:522-32. 2003..These fractures may reflect architectural deterioration, independent of BMD, leading to increased skeletal fragility...
- Percutaneous transpedicular vertebroplasty with calcium phosphate cement in the treatment of osteoporotic vertebral compression and burst fracturesMasato Nakano
Department of Orthopaedic Surgery, Toyama Rosai Hospital, Japan
J Neurosurg 97:287-93. 2002..The authors describe a series of patients in whom they performed percutaneous vertebroplasty by using calcium phosphate cement (CPC) to obtain early pain relief and improve the integrity of the osteoporotic vertebral body (VB)...
- The impact of incident fractures on health-related quality of life: 5 years of data from the Canadian Multicentre Osteoporosis StudyA Papaioannou
McMaster University, Hamilton Health Sciences Chedoke Site, Hamilton, ON, Canada
Osteoporos Int 20:703-14. 2009..Incident fractures had a negative impact on HUI scores over time...
- Bone density threshold and other predictors of vertebral fracture in patients receiving oral glucocorticoid therapyT P Van Staa
University of Southampton, Southampton, UK
Arthritis Rheum 48:3224-9. 2003..To evaluate predictors of vertebral fractures, including a threshold for bone mineral density (BMD), in patients receiving oral glucocorticoids (GCs)...
- Vertebroplasty versus conservative treatment in acute osteoporotic vertebral compression fractures (Vertos II): an open-label randomised trialCaroline A H Klazen
Radiology, St Elisabeth Ziekenhuis, Tilburg, Netherlands
Lancet 376:1085-92. 2010..We aimed to clarify whether vertebroplasty has additional value compared with optimum pain treatment in patients with acute vertebral fractures...
- Recompression of vertebral body after balloon kyphoplasty for osteoporotic vertebral compression fractureYoung Yul Kim
Department of Orthopedic Surgery, Daejeon St Mary s Hospital, The Catholic University of Korea, Daejeon, Korea
Eur Spine J 19:1907-12. 2010..The presence of IVC and NPEC may play an important role in inducing recompression of treated vertebrae after PKP. Careful observation of patients with these conditions is necessary to prevent deterioration of their clinical course...
- Operative treatment of 733 patients with acute thoracolumbar spinal injuries: comprehensive results from the second, prospective, Internet-based multicenter study of the Spine Study Group of the German Association of Trauma SurgeryM Reinhold
Department of Trauma Surgery, Medical University Innsbruck, Innsbruck, Austria
Eur Spine J 19:1657-76. 2010..Randomized-controlled long-term investigations seem mandatory and the next step in future clinical research of Spine Study Group of the German Trauma Society...
- Adjacent vertebral fractures after percutaneous vertebral augmentation of osteoporotic vertebral compression fracture: a comparison of balloon kyphoplasty and vertebroplastyI Movrin
Department of Traumatology, University Medical Centre Maribor, Ljubljanska 5, Maribor, Slovenia
Arch Orthop Trauma Surg 130:1157-66. 2010..The purpose of this study was to evaluate the adjacent level fracture risk after BK as compared with VP and to determine the possible dominant risk factor associated with new compression fractures...
- Early complications of surgical versus conservative treatment of isolated type II odontoid fractures in octogenarians: a retrospective cohort studyHarvey E Smith
Department of Orthopaedic Surgery, Thomas Jefferson University, Philadelphia, PA, USA
J Spinal Disord Tech 21:535-9. 2008....
- Morbidity and mortality related to odontoid fracture surgery in the elderly populationAndrew P White
Carl J Shapiro Department of Orthopaedic Surgery, Harvard Medical School, Beth Israel Deaconess Medical Center, Boston, MA 21287, USA
Spine (Phila Pa 1976) 35:S146-57. 2010..Systematic analysis...
- PLIF in thoracolumbar trauma: technique and radiological resultsRene Schmid
Department for Trauma Surgery and Sports Medicine, Medical University Innsbruck, Anichstrasse 35, 6020, Innsbruck, Austria
Eur Spine J 19:1079-86. 2010..So we think that this technique can be an alternative procedure to combined operations regarding the presented radiological results of successful fusion and loss of correction...
- Anterior screw fixation of odontoid fractures comparing younger and elderly patientsPatrick Platzer
Medical University of Vienna, Department for Traumatology, Vienna, Austria
Spine (Phila Pa 1976) 32:1714-20. 2007..A retrospective, comparative study...
- Lasofoxifene in postmenopausal women with osteoporosisSteven R Cummings
San Francisco Coordinating Center, California Pacific Medical Center Research Institute, and University of California, San Francisco, San Francisco, USA
N Engl J Med 362:686-96. 2010..The effects of lasofoxifene on the risk of fractures, breast cancer, and cardiovascular disease are uncertain...
- Effectiveness, security and height restoration on fresh compression fractures--a comparative prospective study of vertebroplasty and kyphoplastyM Rollinghoff
Department of Orthopaedic and Trauma Surgery, University of Cologne, Cologne, Germany
Minim Invasive Neurosurg 52:233-7. 2009..When conservative treatment of these fractures fails, with vertebroplasty and kyphoplasty we have two percutaneous minimally invasive stabilising procedures at our disposal...
- Surgical treatment of dens fractures in elderly patientsPatrick Platzer
Department for Traumatology, Medical University of Vienna, Waehringer Guertel 18 20, A 1090 Vienna, Austria
J Bone Joint Surg Am 89:1716-22. 2007..The purposes of this study were to analyze the functional and radiographic results after surgical treatment of dens fractures in patients over sixty-five years of age and to compare the two methods that were used for operative treatment...
- Operative versus nonoperative management of acute odontoid Type II fractures: a meta-analysisAli Nourbakhsh
Department of Neurosurgery, Louisiana State University Health Sciences Center, Shreveport, Louisiana 71130, USA
J Neurosurg Spine 11:651-8. 2009..The purpose of this study was to evaluate the feasibility of the criteria described in the literature as the indications for surgery for acute Type II odontoid fractures...
- Burden of non-hip, non-vertebral fractures on quality of life in postmenopausal women: the Global Longitudinal study of Osteoporosis in Women (GLOW)C Roux
Department of Rheumatology, Cochin Hospital, Paris Descartes University, 27 rue du Faubourg St Jacques, 75659, Paris Cedex 14, France
Osteoporos Int 23:2863-71. 2012..Spine fractures had the greatest detrimental effect on EQ-5D, followed by major NHNV and hip fractures. Decreases in physical function and health status were greatest for spine or hip fractures...
- Short-segment pedicle instrumentation of thoracolumbar burst fractures: does transpedicular intracorporeal grafting prevent early failure?A Alanay
Department of Orthopaedics and Traumatology, Spine Unit, Hacettepe University, Ankara, Turkey
Spine (Phila Pa 1976) 26:213-7. 2001..A prospective, randomized study comparing two treatment methods for thoracolumbar burst fractures: short-segment instrumentation with transpedicular grafting and the same procedure without transpedicular grafting...
- Osteoporosis-related kyphosis and impairments in pulmonary function: a systematic reviewRobyn A Harrison
Department of Medicine, University of Alberta, Edmonton, Canada
J Bone Miner Res 22:447-57. 2007..Findings suggest modest but predictable declines in vital capacity related to the degree of kyphosis. However, there were only four studies, and all had significant methodologic limitations. Further high-quality research is needed...
- Type II odontoid fractures in the elderly: an evidence-based narrative review of managementD Pal
Department of Spinal Studies and Surgery, Queen s Medical Centre, Nottingham, NG7 2UH, UK
Eur Spine J 20:195-204. 2011..A prospective randomised controlled trial is recommended...
- Sustained efficacy and safety of bazedoxifene in preventing fractures in postmenopausal women with osteoporosis: results of a 5-year, randomized, placebo-controlled studyS L Silverman
Cedars Sinai Medical Center and University of California, Los Angeles, CA, USA
Osteoporos Int 23:351-63. 2012..Bazedoxifene significantly increased bone mineral density and reduced bone turnover versus placebo and was generally safe and well tolerated...
- Balloon kyphoplasty for the treatment of acute vertebral compression fractures: 2-year results from a randomized trialSteven Boonen
Leuven University Division of Geriatric Medicine, Katholieke Universiteit Leuven, Leuven, Belgium
J Bone Miner Res 26:1627-37. 2011..Most outcomes are not statistically different at 24 months, but the reduction in back pain remains statistically significant at all time points...
- Type II odontoid fractures of the cervical spine: do treatment type and medical comorbidities affect mortality in elderly patients?Andrew J Schoenfeld
Department of Orthopaedic Surgery, Harvard Medical School, Brigham and Women s Hospital, Boston, MA 02115, USA
Spine (Phila Pa 1976) 36:879-85. 2011..Retrospective cohort study...
- Clinical evaluation of anterior screw fixation for elderly patients with type II odontoid fracturesYang Hou
Department of Orthopaedic Surgery, Changzheng Hospital, Shanghai, China
J Spinal Disord Tech 24:E75-81. 2011..A retrospective study of elderly patients who underwent anterior screw fixation for type II odontoid fractures between 2000 and 2009 was conducted...
- Validity of the three-column theory of thoracolumbar fractures. A biomechanic investigationM M Panjabi
Department of Orthopaedics and Rehabilitation, Yale University School of Medicine, New Haven, Connecticut, USA
Spine (Phila Pa 1976) 20:1122-7. 1995..No biomechanic study, using realistic spinal fractures and multidirectional instability measurements, was available. METHODS...
- Surgical treatment of C2 fractures in the elderly: a multicenter retrospective analysisIbrahim Omeis
Department of Neurosurgery, New York Medical College, Valhalla, NY 10595, USA
J Spinal Disord Tech 22:91-5. 2009..Multicenter retrospective analysis...
- Prevalence of vertebral fractures in women and men in the population-based Tromsø StudySvanhild Waterloo
Department of Community Medicine, Faculty of Health Sciences, University of Tromsø, 9037 Tromsø, Norway
BMC Musculoskelet Disord 13:3. 2012..The aim of this population based study was to describe, for the first time, the age- and sex specific occurrence of osteoporotic vertebral fractures in Norway...
- A new active vitamin D3 analog, eldecalcitol, prevents the risk of osteoporotic fractures--a randomized, active comparator, double-blind studyToshio Matsumoto
Department of Medicine and Bioregulatory Sciences, University of Tokushima Graduate School of Medical Sciences, Tokushima 770 8503, Japan
Bone 49:605-12. 2011..The objective of this study is to examine whether eldecalcitol is superior to alfacalcidol in preventing osteoporotic fractures. This trial is registered with ClinicalTrials.gov, number NCT00144456...
- Prevalence and risk factors of vertebral fractures in women with rheumatoid arthritis using vertebral fracture assessmentAbdellah El Maghraoui
Rheumatology Department, Military Hospital Mohammed V, PO Box 1018, Rabat, Morocco
Rheumatology (Oxford) 49:1303-10. 2010..To study the prevalence and risk factors of vertebral fractures (VFs) in a large cohort of patients with RA using VF assessment (VFA)...
- Optimal treatment for odontoid fractures in the elderlyJames S Harrop
Departments of Neurological Surgery, Thomas Jefferson University Hospital, Philadelphia, PA 19107, USA
Spine (Phila Pa 1976) 35:S219-27. 2010..Clinically based systematic review...
- Severity of vertebral fracture and risk of hip fracture: a nested case-control studyV Puisto
National Institute for Health and Welfare, Helsinki, Finland
Osteoporos Int 22:63-8. 2011..Severe vertebral fractures strongly predicted subsequent hip fracture in this population-based study. Such high-risk patients should be provided with clinical evaluation and care for osteoporosis...
- Role of the supine lateral radiograph of the spine in vertebroplasty for osteoporotic vertebral compression fracture: a prospective studyMeng Huang Wu
Department of Orthopedic Surgery, Chang Gung Memorial Hospital at Chiayi, Chiayi, Taiwan
BMC Musculoskelet Disord 11:164. 2010..The purposes of this study were to: (1) evaluate the efficacy of SuLR to detect IVCs and assess the intravertebral mobility in VCFs, and (2) evaluate the short-term results of vertebroplasty in severely collapsed VCFs with IVCs...
- Risk factors for vertebral and nonvertebral fracture over 10 years: a population-based study in womenJudith Finigan
University of Sheffield, Sheffield, United Kingdom
J Bone Miner Res 23:75-85. 2008..Factors that predicted vertebral rather than nonvertebral fractures related to physical weakness, poor health, and weight loss. Similar factors were also associated with greater bone loss at the hip...
- Trunk deformity is associated with a reduction in outdoor activities of daily living and life satisfaction in community-dwelling older peopleToshiaki Takahashi
Department of Orthopaedics, Kochi Medical School, Oko cho, 783 8505 Nankoku, Kochi, Japan
Osteoporos Int 16:273-9. 2005....
- Epidemiology and diagnostic approaches to vertebral fractures in AsiaAnnie W C Kung
Department of Medicine, University of Hong Kong, Queen Mary Hospital, 102 Pokfulam Road, Hong Kong, PR China
J Bone Miner Metab 22:170-5. 2004
- Prevalence and risk factors of osteoporosis and vertebral fractures in patients with ankylosing spondylitisI Ghozlani
Rheumatology and Physical Rehabilitation Centre, Military Hospital Mohammed V, Rabat, Morocco
Bone 44:772-6. 2009..As well, vertebral bone loss is also a recognized feature of AS Objective: To calculate the prevalence and risk factors of osteoporosis and vertebral fractures in patients with AS...
- Hyperkyphosis predicts mortality independent of vertebral osteoporosis in older womenDeborah M Kado
University of California, Los Angeles, Los Angeles, California, USA
Ann Intern Med 150:681-7. 2009..Excessive kyphosis may be associated with earlier mortality, but previous studies have not controlled for clinically silent vertebral fractures, which are a known mortality risk factor...
- Incidental vertebral fractures discovered with chest radiography in the emergency department: prevalence, recognition, and osteoporosis management in a cohort of elderly patientsSumit R Majumdar
Division of General Internal Medicine, Department of Medicine, Room 2E3 07 Walter Mackenzie Health Sciences Centre, Uinversity of Alberta Hospital, 8440 112th St, Edmonton, Alberta, Canada T6G 2B7
Arch Intern Med 165:905-9. 2005..Our objectives were to determine the utility of chest radiographs for detecting previously unrecognized vertebral fractures; document rates of recognition; and evaluate osteoporosis treatments...
- Recognizing and reporting osteoporotic vertebral fracturesMikayel Grigoryan
Osteoporosis and Arthritis Research Group, Department of Radiology, University of California San Francisco, 350 Parnassus Avenue, 94117, San Francisco, CA, USA
Eur Spine J 12:S104-12. 2003....
- Prevalent vertebral fractures in black women and white womenJane A Cauley
Department of Epidemiology, University of Pittsburgh, Pittsburgh, Pennsylvania 15261, USA
J Bone Miner Res 23:1458-67. 2008..The prevalence of vertebral fractures is lower in black compared with white women but increases with age, low BMD, and number of risk factors...
- Have recent vertebroplasty trials changed the indications for vertebroplasty?Afshin Gangi
Department of Nonvascular Interventional Radiology, University Hospital of Strasbourg, 67091 Strasbourg, France
Cardiovasc Intervent Radiol 33:677-80. 2010..The availability of recent MRI scanning is also critical to proper patient selection...
- An in vivo comparison of the potential for extravertebral cement leak after vertebroplasty and kyphoplastyFrank M Phillips
University of Chicago Spine Center, Chicago, Illinois 60640, USA
Spine (Phila Pa 1976) 27:2173-8; discussion 2178-9. 2002..A prospective in vivo study was conducted during the performance of kyphoplasty for the treatment of osteoporotic vertebral compression fractures, comparing extravertebral contrast extravasation with kyphoplasty and vertebroplasty...
- Early radiographic and clinical results of balloon kyphoplasty for the treatment of osteoporotic vertebral compression fracturesFrank M Phillips
The University of Chicago Spine Center, Chicago, Illinois, USA
Spine (Phila Pa 1976) 28:2260-5; discussion 2265-7. 2003..A prospective consecutive cohort study of clinical and radiographic outcomes after kyphoplasty for treatment of osteoporotic vertebral compression fractures...
- Kyphoplasty for treatment of osteoporotic vertebral fractures: a prospective non-randomized studyUlrich Berlemann
Department of Trauma Surgery, Medical School Hannover, Germany
Eur Spine J 13:496-501. 2004..The current study reports on our experience and the one-year results in 27 kyphoplasty procedures (24 patients) for osteoporotic VBCFs...
- Intravertebral clefts in osteoporotic vertebral compression fracturesFergus McKiernan
Center for Bone Diseases, Marshfield Clinic, Marshfield, Wisconsin 54449, USA
Arthritis Rheum 48:1414-9. 2003..To describe the characteristics, radiographic appearance, and significance of intravertebral clefts in vertebral compression fractures (VCFs) of patients with osteoporosis presenting for vertebroplasty...
- Twelve-months follow-up in forty-nine patients with acute/semiacute osteoporotic vertebral fractures treated conservatively or with percutaneous vertebroplasty: a clinical randomized studyRikke Rousing
Spine Section, Department of Orthopaedics, University Hospital of Odense, Odense, Denmark
Spine (Phila Pa 1976) 35:478-82. 2010..Clinical randomized study...
- Diagnosis of osteoporotic vertebral fractures: importance of recognition and description by radiologistsLeon Lenchik
Department of Radiology, Wake Forest University School of Medicine, Medical Center Blvd, Winston Salem, NC 27157 1088, USA
AJR Am J Roentgenol 183:949-58. 2004
- Potential large vessel injury during thoracolumbar pedicle screw removal. A case reportJ S Vanichkachorn
Department of Orthopaedic Surgery, Thomas Jefferson University Hospital, Philadelphia, Pennsylvania, USA
Spine (Phila Pa 1976) 22:110-3. 1997..Instruments designed to capture the end of the distal screw fragment through an interference fit may allow anterior screw migration to occur, particularly in osteoporotic bone...
- Impact of prevalent fractures on quality of life: baseline results from the global longitudinal study of osteoporosis in womenJonathan D Adachi
St Joseph s Hospital, McMaster University, 501 25 Charlton Ave E, Hamilton, Ontario, L8N 1Y2, Canada
Mayo Clin Proc 85:806-13. 2010....
- Short-segment fixation of lumbar burst fractures using pedicle fixation at the level of the fractureAndrew Mahar
Department of Orthopedic Surgery, University of California San Diego, San Diego, CA, USA
Spine (Phila Pa 1976) 32:1503-7. 2007..Cadaveric biomechanical study and retrospective chart review...
- The effects of strontium ranelate on the risk of vertebral fracture in women with postmenopausal osteoporosisPierre J Meunier
Department of Rheumatology and Bone Diseases, Edouard Herriot Hospital, Lyons, France
N Engl J Med 350:459-68. 2004....
- A dynamic study of thoracolumbar burst fracturesRuth K Wilcox
School of Mechanical Engineering, University of Leeds, Leeds LS2 9JT, United Kingdom
J Bone Joint Surg Am 85:2184-9. 2003....
- Association of prevalent vertebral fractures, bone density, and alendronate treatment with incident vertebral fractures: effect of number and spinal location of fractures. The Fracture Intervention Trial Research GroupM C Nevitt
University of California, Prevention Sciences Group, San Francisco 94105, USA
Bone 25:613-9. 1999..Physicians should recognize that prior vertebral fractures are a strong risk factor for future fractures, and consider treating such patients to reduce their risk of subsequent fractures...
- Fracture risk remains reduced one year after discontinuation of risedronateN B Watts
University of Cincinnati Bone Health and Osteoporosis Center, 222 Piedmont Avenue, Suite 4300, Cincinnati, OH 45219, USA
Osteoporos Int 19:365-72. 2008..Despite these changes, the risk of new morphometric vertebral fractures remained lower in previous risedronate patients compared with previous control patients...
- Sustained vertebral fracture risk reduction after withdrawal of teriparatide in postmenopausal women with osteoporosisRobert Lindsay
Regional Bone Center, Helen Hayes Hospital, West Haverstraw, NY 10993, USA
Arch Intern Med 164:2024-30. 2004..Teriparatide (recombinant human parathyroid hormone [1-34]) reduces fracture risk in postmenopausal women with osteoporosis. We assessed the safety and incidence of new vertebral fractures after withdrawal of teriparatide...
- Long-term risk of incident vertebral fracturesJane A Cauley
Department of Epidemiology, University of Pittsburgh, Pittsburgh, Pennsylvania 15261, USA
JAMA 298:2761-7. 2007..Women with low bone mineral density (BMD) and prevalent vertebral fractures have a greater risk of incident vertebral fractures over the short-term, but their absolute risk of vertebral fracture over the long-term is uncertain...
- Instrumentation of the osteoporotic spine: biomechanical and clinical considerationsKarthikeyan E Ponnusamy
School of Medicine, Stanford University, Palo Alto, CA 94305, USA
Spine J 11:54-63. 2011..Such patients are more prone to develop painful and debilitating spinal deformities but are difficult to treat. Currently, no definitive treatment algorithm has been established...
- New fractures after vertebroplasty: adjacent fractures occur significantly soonerA T Trout
Mayo Clinic College of Medicine, Rochester, MN 55905, USA
AJNR Am J Neuroradiol 27:217-23. 2006..We specifically hypothesized that subsequent fractures would occur sooner and more frequently in the vertebrae adjacent to the treated level...
- A review of the management of thoracolumbar burst fracturesLi Yang Dai
Department of Orthopedic Surgery, Xinhua Hospital, Shanghai Jiaotong University School of Medicine, Shanghai 200092, China
Surg Neurol 67:221-31; discussion 231. 2007..However, the management of thoracolumbar burst fractures has been the subject of much controversy...
- Diabetic patients have an increased risk of vertebral fractures independent of BMD or diabetic complicationsMasahiro Yamamoto
Internal Medicine 1, Shimane University Faculty of Medicine, Izumo, Shimane, Japan
J Bone Miner Res 24:702-9. 2009..T2DM patients may have an increased risk of VFs independent of BMD or diabetic complication status, suggesting that bone quality may define bone fragility in T2DM...
- Strontium ranelate reduces the risk of nonvertebral fractures in postmenopausal women with osteoporosis: Treatment of Peripheral Osteoporosis (TROPOS) studyJ Y Reginster
Department of Epidemiology, Public Health and Health Economics, University of Liege, CHU Centre Ville, 45 Quai Godefroid Kurth, 4020 Liege, Belgium
J Clin Endocrinol Metab 90:2816-22. 2005....
- Effect of alendronate on risk of fracture in women with low bone density but without vertebral fractures: results from the Fracture Intervention TrialS R Cummings
Department of Epidemiology and Biostatistics, University of California, San Francisco 94105, USA
JAMA 280:2077-82. 1998..Alendronate sodium reduces fracture risk in postmenopausal women who have vertebral fractures, but its effects on fracture risk have not been studied for women without vertebral fractures...
- Radiation exposure to the surgeon and the patient during kyphoplastyThomas E Mroz
Spine Institute, Cleveland Clinic Foundation, Cleveland, OH, USA
J Spinal Disord Tech 21:96-100. 2008..Prospective study of patients who underwent single or multilevel kyphoplasty for vertebral fractures...
- Clinical outcomes after acute osteoporotic vertebral fractures: a 2-year non-randomised trial comparing percutaneous vertebroplasty with conservative therapyTerrence H Diamond
St George Private Hospital, Kogarah, NSW 2217, Australia
Med J Aust 184:113-7. 2006..To assess the safety and efficacy of percutaneous vertebroplasty for the treatment of acute osteoporotic vertebral fractures...
- Minimal invasive stabilization of osteoporotic vertebral fractures: a prospective nonrandomized comparison of vertebroplasty and balloon kyphoplastyJosef G Grohs
Department of Orthopaedic Surgery, Medical University Vienna, Wien, Austria
J Spinal Disord Tech 18:238-42. 2005..Because of the lack of comparative studies, we performed an investigation to describe the mechanical effects and the impact on life quality during a follow-up period of 2 years...
- Costs and quality of life associated with osteoporosis-related fractures in SwedenFredrik Borgstrom
Medical Management Centre, Karolinska Institutet, Stockholm, Sweden
Osteoporos Int 17:637-50. 2006....
- PTH and the risks for hip, vertebral, and pelvic fractures among patients on dialysisMark D Danese
Outcomes Insights, Newbury Park, CA, USA
Am J Kidney Dis 47:149-56. 2006..Few investigations have described fracture risk and its relation to disorders in calcium (Ca), phosphorus (P), and parathyroid hormone (PTH) metabolism in the end-stage renal disease population...
- Spinal fractures in patients with ankylosing spinal disorders: a systematic review of the literature on treatment, neurological status and complicationsL A Westerveld
University Medical Center Utrecht, Heidelberglaan 100, Huispostnummer G 05 228, 3584 CX Utrecht, The Netherlands
Eur Spine J 18:145-56. 2009..performed to obtain all relevant articles concerning the outcome of patients with AS or DISH admitted with spinal fractures. Predefined parameters were extracted from the papers and pooled to study the effect of treatment on ..
- Percutaneous vertebroplastyDavid F Kallmes
Department of Radiology, University of Virginia Health Sciences Center, PO Box 800170, Charlottesville, VA 22908, USA
Radiology 229:27-36. 2003..Finally, the current state of evidence in support of the efficacy of vertebroplasty are discussed, with particular attention to the need for ongoing clinical trials...
- Trends in epidemiology and management of type II odontoid fractures: 20-year experience at a model system spine injury tertiary referral centerHarvey E Smith
Methodist Hospital Center for Orthopaedic Surgery, Houston, TX 77030, USA
J Spinal Disord Tech 23:501-5. 2010..A retrospective cohort study of consecutive type II Odontoid fractures presenting to a Level 1 Regional Model Systems Spinal Cord Injury Center between June 1985 and July 2006...
- Fluoroscopic radiation exposure of the kyphoplasty patientBronek M Boszczyk
Neurosurgery, Berufsgenossenschaftliche Unfallklinik, 82418, Murnau, Germany
Eur Spine J 15:347-55. 2006..Use of large c-arms and judiciously operating the exposure is recommended. With regard to effective dose, a single fluoroscopy guided KP performed for osteoporotic or traumatic vertebral fractures is a safe procedure...
- Back pain in osteoporotic vertebral fracturesR M Francis
School of Clinical Medical Sciences, University of Newcastle, Newcastle upon Tyne, UK
Osteoporos Int 19:895-903. 2008....
- [Comparison of clinical and radiological data in the treatment of patients with osteoporotic vertebral compression fractures using radiofrequency kyphoplasty or balloon kyphoplasty]R Pflugmacher
Klinik und Poliklinik für Orthopädie und Unfallchirurgie, Universitatsklinikum Bonn, Sigmund Freud Strase 25, Bonn
Z Orthop Unfall 150:56-61. 2012..For the statistical comparison of the two methods of augmentation, the clinical and radiological data of 2 larger patient groups were evaluated...
- A randomized trial of vertebroplasty for osteoporotic spinal fracturesDavid F Kallmes
Department of Radiology, Mayo Clinic, 200 First St SW, Rochester, MN 55905, USA
N Engl J Med 361:569-79. 2009..Vertebroplasty is commonly used to treat painful, osteoporotic vertebral compression fractures...
- Surgical treatment of unstable type II odontoid fractures in skeletally mature individualsAlpesh A Patel
Department of Orthopaedic Surgery and Neurosurgery, University of Utah, Salt Lake City, UT 84108, USA
Spine (Phila Pa 1976) 35:S209-18. 2010..Systematic review of literature...
- Balloon kyphoplasty and vertebroplasty for vertebral compression fractures: a comparative systematic review of efficacy and safetyRod S Taylor
Department of Public Health and Epidemiology, University of Birmingham, Edgbaston, United Kingdom
Spine (Phila Pa 1976) 31:2747-55. 2006..Systematic review and meta-regression...
- Long-term cost and effect on quality of life of osteoporosis-related fractures in SwedenOskar Ström
Innovus, Stockholm, Sweden
Acta Orthop 79:269-80. 2008..This prospective observational data collection study assessed the cost and quality of life related to hip, vertebral, and wrist fracture 13-18 months after the fracture, based on 684 patients surviving 18 months after fracture...
- Nonoperative versus operative treatment for thoracolumbar burst fractures without neurologic deficit: a meta-analysisSonali R Gnanenthiran
South West Sydney Clinical School, University of New South Wales, Sydney, NSW, Australia
Clin Orthop Relat Res 470:567-77. 2012..Lack of evidence-based practice may result in patients being treated inappropriately and being exposed to unnecessary adverse consequences...
- Posterior short-segment fixation with or without fusion for thoracolumbar burst fractures. a five to seven-year prospective randomized studyLi Yang Dai
Department of Orthopaedic Surgery, Xinhua Hospital, Shanghai Jiaotong University School of Medicine, Shanghai, China
J Bone Joint Surg Am 91:1033-41. 2009..We conducted a controlled clinical trial to define the effect of fusion on lumbar spine and patient-related functional outcomes...
- Excess mortality after hospitalisation for vertebral fractureJohn A Kanis
WHO Collaborating Centre for Metabolic Bone Diseases, University of Sheffield Medical School, Beech Hill Road, S10 2RX, Sheffield, UK
Osteoporos Int 15:108-12. 2004..We conclude that a minority of deaths following hospitalization for vertebral fracture are attributable to the fracture itself under the assumptions we used...
- Absolute height reduction and percent height ratio of the vertebral body in incident fracture in Japanese womenMasao Fukunaga
Department of Nuclear Medicine, Kawasaki Medical School, 577 Matsushima, 701 0192, Kurashiki, Japan
J Bone Miner Metab 22:104-10. 2004..90%, respectively. In conclusion, the morphometric criteria of incident fracture combined with a semiquantitative assessment will provide useful information in the study of clinical osteoporosis, especially for international comparisons...
- Three-column reconstruction through single posterior approach for the treatment of unstable thoracolumbar fractureYang Haiyun
Department of Spinal Surgery, Tianjin Hospital, Tianjin, People s Republic of China
Spine (Phila Pa 1976) 35:E295-302. 2010..A prospective study was performed...
- Initial clinical experience with a novel vertebral augmentation system for treatment of symptomatic vertebral compression fractures: a case series of 26 consecutive patientsPanagiotis Korovessis
Orthopaedic Department, General Hospital Agios Andreas, 1 Tsertidou str, 26224 Patras, Greece
BMC Musculoskelet Disord 12:206. 2011..We report herein our initial experience with a novel vertebral augmentation technique designed to treat symptomatic vertebral osteoporotic fractures and osteolytic metastases with minimal cement extravasation...
- High frequency of vertebral fractures in early spondylarthropathiesM A C Van der Weijden
Department of Rheumatology, VU University Medical Center, Room 3A 64, PO Box 7057, 1007 MB, Amsterdam, The Netherlands
Osteoporos Int 23:1683-90. 2012..VF remained frequently 'unrecognized' and untreated. VF have been associated with more back pain, reduced Qol, and increased risk of future fractures which stresses the importance of recognition also in early stage SpA...
- Two-year efficacy and tolerability of risedronate once a week for the treatment of women with postmenopausal osteoporosisS T Harris
University of California, San Francisco, California 94117, USA
Curr Med Res Opin 20:757-64. 2004..The efficacy and tolerability of risedronate once-a-week dosing (35 and 50mg) were compared with risedronate daily dosing (5mg) in a 2-year study in women with osteoporosis...
- Reduced bone density and osteoporosis associated with a polymorphic Sp1 binding site in the collagen type I alpha 1 geneS F Grant
Department of Medicine and Therapeutics, University of Aberdeen, UK
Nat Genet 14:203-5. 1996....
- Percutaneous vertebroplasty for the treatment of burst fractures. Case reportJyi Feng Chen
Department of Neurosurgery, Chang Gung University and Chang Gung Memorial Hospital, Taoyuan, Taiwan, Republic of China
J Neurosurg Spine 1:228-31. 2004..been no mention in the literature of the use of percutaneous vertebroplasty for the treatment of traumatic spinal fractures. The authors report the case of a 33-year-old man who harbored L-1, L-2, and L-5 burst fractures sustained in ..
- High incidence of vertebral and non-vertebral fractures in the OSTRA cohort study: a 5-year follow-up study in postmenopausal women with rheumatoid arthritisM Vis
Department of Rheumatology and Jan van Breemen Institute, VU University Medical Center, Postbus 7057, 1007MB, Amsterdam, The Netherlands
Osteoporos Int 22:2413-9. 2011..We found a high incidence rate of vertebral and non-vertebral fractures in these patients compared to population-based studies...
- Three column stabilization through posterior approach alone: transpedicular placement of distractable cage with transpedicular screw fixationGiyas Ayberk
Department of Neurosurgery, Ankara Ataturk Training and Research Hospital Ankara, Turkey
Neurol Med Chir (Tokyo) 48:8-14; discussion 14. 2008....
- Comparative study of percutaneous vertebroplasty and kyphoplasty in the treatment of osteoporotic vertebral compression fracturesDenglu Yan
Orthopedic Department, Third Hospital of Guangzhou Medical College, Guangzhou, People s Republic of China
Arch Orthop Trauma Surg 131:645-50. 2011..To compare the therapeutic effect of percutaneous vertebroplasty (PVP) and percutaneous kyphoplasty (PKP) in the treatment of osteoporotic vertebral compression fractures (VCFs)...
- A randomized trial of vertebroplasty for painful osteoporotic vertebral fracturesRachelle Buchbinder
Monash Department of Clinical Epidemiology, Cabrini Hospital, and Monash University, Malvern, Vic, Australia
N Engl J Med 361:557-68. 2009..Vertebroplasty has become a common treatment for painful osteoporotic vertebral fractures, but there is limited evidence to support its use...
- Vertebroplasty and kyphoplasty: reasons for concern?Luca Denaro
Department of Neurosurgery, Catholic University School of Medicine, Policlinico Gemelli, Largo Gemelli 8, 00168 Rome, Italy
Orthop Clin North Am 40:465-71, viii. 2009..This article provides an overview of the state of the art in vertebroplasty and kyphoplasty, discussing the indications, techniques, results, and pitfalls...
- ADULT STEM CELL SUPPRESSION DUE TO ALCOHOL INDUCED MICROENVIRONMENT ALTERATIONSMandi J Lopez; Fiscal Year: 2010..Chronic alcohol consumption is associated with osteoporosis and an increased rate of lumbar spinal fractures. Posterolateral spinal fusion is the standard treatment for lumbar compression fractures common in ethanol-..
- Prevention of Neck Injuries in Older Adults During Rear Motor Vehicle CollsionsPAUL IVANCIC; Fiscal Year: 2009..The proposed project will provide important research-based data that may form the basis for future safety standards and help to decrease the frequency and severity of neck injuries in older adults, thus benefiting society. ..
- DIABETES, PRE-DIABETES, AND FALLS IN OLDER ADULTSAnn Schwartz; Fiscal Year: 2004..These analyses will inform future efforts to design trials to prevent falls and maintain strength and balance in older adults with diabetes or pre-diabetes. ..
- Intensive Glycemic Control and Skeletal HealthAnn Schwartz; Fiscal Year: 2009..Change in bone mineral density over two years at the hip and lumbar spine will be determined in a subsample (N=240) using dual energy absorptiometry (DEXA). ..
- CVD Predictors of Cognitive Function Trajectory over 20 YearsElizabeth L Barrett Connor; Fiscal Year: 2010..This information is important given the aging of the population, the fact that CVD risk factors are modifiable, and because the maintenance of cognitive function is an essential component of healthy aging. ..
- Endogenous/Exogenous Sex Hormones & CHD Risk FactorsElizabeth Barrett Connor; Fiscal Year: 2003..These observations may aid in deciding whether individual women should use HRT and, if so, which regimen would provide the most benefit with the least risk. ..
- Outcomes of Sleep Disorders in Older MenElizabeth Barrett Connor; Fiscal Year: 2007..We will also supplement the bank of MrOS specimens to allow for testing of future hypotheses concerning the role of sleep in the development of age-related diseases and conditions. ..
- GENDER DIFFERENCES IN OSTEOPOROSISElizabeth Barrett Connor; Fiscal Year: 2002....
- Genetic and Tissue Engineering for AneurysmsDavid Kallmes; Fiscal Year: 2004..Successful implementation of this research program will advance the field of genetic and tissue engineering and will improve the care of patients harboring life-threatening cerebral aneurysms. ..
- SHAM-CONTROLLED TRIAL OF PERCUTANEOUS VERTEBROPLASTYDavid Kallmes; Fiscal Year: 2008..abstract_text> ..
- NIH OSTEOPOROSIS & RELATED BONE DISEASES RESOURCE CENTERBess Dawson Hughes; Fiscal Year: 2002..Specific efforts include supporting the National Osteoporosis Data Group, collecting and disseminating definitive statistics on bone diseases and on conditions co-morbid with osteoporosis, and preparing summary reports. ..
- STUDY OF OSTEOPOROTIC FRACTURESMarc Hochberg; Fiscal Year: 2005....
- Causes and Consequences of Hyperkyphosis in Older WomenDeborah Kado; Fiscal Year: 2007..This cost-effective and innovative use of an existing data set is likely to produce the first systematic analyses of this common condition. ..
- Improved Animal Modeling of Saccular AneurysmsDavid F Kallmes; Fiscal Year: 2010..This program will enhance health by preventing the catastrophic events resulting from spontaneous rupture of intracranial aneurysms. ..
- REGULATION OF PTH ACTIVITY IN BONE BY BETA-ARRESTINMary Bouxsein; Fiscal Year: 2008..Information gained from the proposed studies will be instrumental for developing new PTH1R ligands with improved signaling and biologic activity profiles for treatment of osteoporosis and other metabolic bone disorders. ..
- ADAM: Androgen Deprivation vs. Antiandrogen MonotherapyMatthew Smith; Fiscal Year: 2004..In addition, this project will provide important insights into the relative contributions of testosterone and estrogen in bone metabolism, and maintenance of muscle size and strength in older men. ..
- Microcomputed Tomography Device (Scanco UCT40)Mary Bouxsein; Fiscal Year: 2004..abstract_text> ..
- EFFECT OF POTASSIUM BICARBONATE ON BONE AND MUSCLEBess Dawson Hughes; Fiscal Year: 2008....
- Role of T Cells in Lung Disease in Systemic SclerosisMarc Hochberg; Fiscal Year: 2006..The new information that is gained will advance knowledge of T-cell dependent mechanisms of pulmonary fibrosis in scleroderma. ..
- Statistical Methods for Evaluation and Validation of Diagnostic TestsYing Lu; Fiscal Year: 2008..Research results will be disseminated through publication of software, research and tutorial papers in both clinical and statistical journals and by influencing position papers of professional organizations. ..
- Bone Turnover and Fracture Risk in MenDouglas Bauer; Fiscal Year: 2008..These analyses will address critical questions about the pathogenesis of spine and non-spine fracture in men, and will determine the clinical utility of bone turnover measurements in this population. ..
- Prevalence and Treatment of Hypovitaminosis D in RAKaren Hansen; Fiscal Year: 2008..abstract_text> ..
- Seasonal Bone Loss in MiceClifford Rosen; Fiscal Year: 2008..unreadable] Understanding the impact of circadian and circannual rhythms on the skeleton will afford greater insight into homeostatic mechanisms controlling bone maintenance. [unreadable] [unreadable] [unreadable]..
- The long-term consequences of postoperative acute kidney injuryAreef Ishani; Fiscal Year: 2008..Once the AKI- associated burden of CKD has been precisely estimated and modifiable factors have been identified, clinical trials can be performed that may reduce this disease burden. [unreadable] [unreadable] [unreadable]..
- P I/II Intraventricular DepoCyt (OD # 06-2348) in Glioblastoma (76,730, 11/06)BRUCE MICHAEL FRANKEL; Fiscal Year: 2010..This has also been the basis for successful application and granting of Orphan-Drug designation for cytarabine (Ara-C) liposome injection (trade name: DepoCyt) for the treatment of gliomas. ..
- Aerobic Exercise, Diet and Cholesterol: A Meta-AnalysisGeorge A Kelley; Fiscal Year: 2010..This is important since one of the major goals of the Department of Health and Human Services is to increase the quality and years of healthy life. ..
- Rural Elders' Diabetes Self Management: Development of a Common Sense Model InvenSara A Quandt; Fiscal Year: 2010....
- Improved DBM ROC Methods for Diagnostic RadiologyKEVIN STALEY BERBAUM; Fiscal Year: 2010..This will lead to better radiology research, which will raise the quality and lower the cost of health care. ..
- Why is Cardiac Risk Increased in Rheumatiod ArthritisDaniel Solomon; Fiscal Year: 2002..ability to control for known cardiovascular risk factors, the extensive medication information allowing for us to explore key hypotheses regarding corticosteroid exposure, and the attempt to simultaneously control for disease severity ..
- JUSTA: Justice and Health for Poultry WorkersSARA QUANDT; Fiscal Year: 2008..abstract_text> ..
- Comparison of Aerobic and Resistance Exercise in Older Breast Cancer SurvivorsKerri Winters Stone; Fiscal Year: 2009..S. "baby boom"population ages. Even so, studies of older women comprise only a small proportion of research, especially exercise research, on improving the lives of cancer survivors. ..
- A MECHANISTIC STUDY OF SKELETAL ACTIONS OF 1-34hPTHRobert Lindsay; Fiscal Year: 2009..abstract_text> ..
- Estradiol, Cytokines & Bone Turnover--Effects on FractureJane Cauley; Fiscal Year: 2007..Improved understanding of the biological mechanisms for these associations could lead to the development and testing of preventive intervention. ..
- Outcomes of Sleep Disorders in Older Men - PittsburghJane Cauley; Fiscal Year: 2007..We will also supplement the bank of MrOS specimens to allow for testing of future hypotheses concerning the role of sleep in the development of age-related diseases and conditions. [unreadable] [unreadable]..
- Patient-Centered Depression Care in the Public SectorIsabel Lagomasino; Fiscal Year: 2007..abstract_text> ..
- STUDY OF OSTEOPOROTIC FRACTURESTeresa Hillier; Fiscal Year: 2005....
- Development of a Spinal Intervertebral Disc ProsthesisGLENN BUTTERMANN; Fiscal Year: 2003..The objective of Phase I is to demonstrate that the device restores normal spine biomechanics (range of motion and stiffness) and is durable in fatigue testing. ..
- Flavocoxid: A Medical Food Therapy for OsteoarthritisSarah Morgan; Fiscal Year: 2004..This innovative compound has commercial potential with its expected efficacy comparable to or exceeding the currently marketed COX inhibitors but with fewer side effects and at a significantly lower cost. ..
- SATISFACTION OF SEARCH IN DIAGNOSTIC RADIOLOGYKevin Berbaum; Fiscal Year: 2001..This reduction in error could be most significant with increased image interpretation by non-radiologists, who, being principally driven by their clinical suspicion, are more susceptible to errors involving unanticipated abnormalities. ..
- Pain Medication Use & Risk Factors for Opioid DependenceDaniel Solomon; Fiscal Year: 2004..Our goal is to use the results of the proposed research to inform a future intervention to improve opioid prescribing within this large pharmacy benefits program. ..
- EXERCISE AND BLOOD PRESSURE IN CHILDREN: A META-ANALYSISGeorge Kelley; Fiscal Year: 2001..The investigators state that the results of this project will provide clarification regarding the role of exercise in reducing resting systolic and diastolic blood pressure in children and adolescents. ..
- RURAL ELDERS: ETHNICITY, FOOD MEANING & DIET MEASUREMENTSARA QUANDT; Fiscal Year: 2004..These participants will complete six 24 hour diet recall interviews over a six month period, which will be used to validate the adapted Food Frequency Questionnaire and Meal Pattern Questionnaire. ..
- Osteocyte reaction to decreased bone fluid flowShijing Qiu; Fiscal Year: 2003..The spatial relationship between osteoclastic resorption and osteocyte degeneration will be determined in the sections with toluidine blue and TUNEL stain. ..
- Statistical methods for utility of multiple testsYing Lu; Fiscal Year: 2003..based on data from the Study of Osteoporotic Fractures (SOF) and simulation models using cost-effectiveness and population distribution parameters published in literature. ..
- STUDY OF OSTEOPOROTIC FRACTURESJane Cauley; Fiscal Year: 2005....
- 6th International Symposium on OsteoporosisRobert Lindsay; Fiscal Year: 2005..abstract_text> ..
- Osteoporosis in Women with Rheumatoid ArthritisDaniel Solomon; Fiscal Year: 2006..This epidemiologic data will inform future trials of osteoporosis treatments among patients with RA. As well, the study cohort will comprise one of the largest RA registries with an explicit plan to examine osteoporosis. ..
- 2006 Summer Bioengineering ConferenceVijay Goel; Fiscal Year: 2006..This should help create the necessary work force of varied interests in the health care field. [unreadable] [unreadable] [unreadable]..
- Laxity and Malalignment in a Large Cohort Study of OAMichael Nevitt; Fiscal Year: 2006..abstract_text> ..
- Clinical Utility of Texture Analysis in OsteoporosisTamara Vokes; Fiscal Year: 2006..Following the successful completion of the proposed studies, prospective evaluation of texture analysis will be undertaken in larger populations and in different forms of metabolic bone disease. ..
- Randomized Controlled Testing of Osteoporosis EducationDaniel Solomon; Fiscal Year: 2006..A multi-disciplinary Training Advisory Board will review the applicants progress regularly to ensure that the proposed training goals are met. ..
- TISSUE STRESS VARIABILITY AND STRENGTH IN VERTEBRAL BONEYener Yeni; Fiscal Year: 2006..abstract_text> ..
- Self-Management of Depression and Medical IllnessIsabel Lagomasino; Fiscal Year: 2005..Third, an expert panel uses study findings to adapt the programs as necessary and develops a manualized program protocol in preparation for a future randomized trial. ..
- Folic Acid and B Vitamins to Prevent Fracture in WomenSteven Cummings; Fiscal Year: 2009..The proposed study is a cost-effective approach to determining whether a safe and inexpensive nutritional intervention substantially reduces the risk of fracture and to understanding the mechanism of this effect. ..
- OPTIMAL PREHOSPITAL CARE OF CHILDHOOD CARDIAC ARRESTIan Stiell; Fiscal Year: 2004..The PIs propose to conduct a large feasibility review in five urban areas and to conduct four study planning workshops. ..
- WHI Sex Hormone & Genetic Risk Factors for Hip FractureSteven Cummings; Fiscal Year: 2005..The proposed study is a very efficient approach to understanding the etiologies of hip fracture. ..
- Congenital Adrenal Hyperplasia: Calcium Channels as Therapeutic TargetsKAREN LOECHNER; Fiscal Year: 2008..Furthermore, they may allow for improved treatment in hypersecretory conditions, such as CAH. ..
- A CONSORTIUM TO INVESTIGATE HUMAN LONGEVITY AND FRAILTYSteven Cummings; Fiscal Year: 2002..This Consortium will catalyze interactions between outstanding laboratory and clinical scientists that will lead to collaborative studies of the genetic determinants of longevity and frailty. ..
- EXERCISE INTERVENTION IN COLORECTAL POLYP PATIENTSAnne McTiernan; Fiscal Year: 2004..Results from this unique human experimental study will provide important information about mechanisms of exercise effects on colon carcinogenesis and about potential ..
- EXERCISE, DIET, AND SEX HORMONES IN POSTMENOPAUSAL WOMENAnne McTiernan; Fiscal Year: 2008..Intervention adherence will be monitored via exercise and diet logs and weekly weighing. Potential adverse effects will be measured including injuries, overall bone density (DEXA), and Quality of Life. ..