Genomes and Genes
femoral neck fractures
Summary: Fractures of the short, constricted portion of the thigh bone between the femur head and the trochanters. It excludes intertrochanteric fractures which are HIP FRACTURES.
Publications322 found, 100 shown here
- More re-operations after uncemented than cemented hemiarthroplasty used in the treatment of displaced fractures of the femoral neck: an observational study of 11,116 hemiarthroplasties from a national registerJ E Gjertsen
Haukeland University Hospital, Department of Orthopaedic Surgery, N 5021 Bergen, Norway
J Bone Joint Surg Br 94:1113-9. 2012..However, in a time-dependent analysis, the HRR for re-operation in both groups increased as follow-up increased. This study showed that the risk for revision was higher for uncemented than for cemented hemiarthroplasties...
- Dementia after delirium in patients with femoral neck fracturesMaria Lundström
Department of Community Medicine and Rehabilitation, Geriatric Medicine, Umea University, Umea, Sweden
J Am Geriatr Soc 51:1002-6. 2003To investigate whether delirium in older patients with femoral neck fractures is associated with an increased risk of developing dementia and a higher mortality rate.
- Hemiarthroplasty of the hip with and without cement: a randomized clinical trialFraser Taylor
Auckland City Hospital, Private Bag 92 024, Auckland Mail Centre, Auckland 1142, New Zealand
J Bone Joint Surg Am 94:577-83. 2012..The primary hypothesis of this study was that use of cement would provide better visual analog pain scores following this procedure in an elderly patient population...
- Proximal femur geometry to detect and distinguish femoral neck fractures from trochanteric fractures in postmenopausal womenS Gnudi
Dipartimento di Medicina Intema, Istituti Ortopedici Rizzoli, Bologna, Italy
Osteoporos Int 13:69-73. 2002..Relatively few studies have tested their ability to discriminate femoral neck fractures from those of the trochanter...
- Operative management of displaced femoral neck fractures in elderly patients. An international surveyMohit Bhandari
Department of Surgery, Hamilton Health Sciences General Hospital, 237 Barton Street East, 7 North, Suite 727, Hamilton, Ontario L8L 2X2, Canada
J Bone Joint Surg Am 87:2122-30. 2005..Our objective was to clarify current opinion with regard to the operative treatment of displaced fractures of the femoral neck...
- Total hip replacement and hemiarthroplasty in mobile, independent patients with a displaced intracapsular fracture of the femoral neck: a seven- to ten-year follow-up report of a prospective randomised controlled trialP P Avery
North Bristol NHS Trust, Avon Orthopaedic Centre, Bristol BS10 5NB, UK
J Bone Joint Surg Br 93:1045-8. 2011..There was lower mortality (p = 0.013) and a trend towards superior function in patients with a total hip replacement in the medium term...
- Monoblock hemiarthroplasties for femoral neck fractures--a part of orthopaedic history? Analysis of national registration of hemiarthroplasties 2005-2009Cecilia Rogmark
Department of Orthopaedic Surgery, Skane University Hospital, Malmo, Sweden
Injury 43:946-9. 2012..Cemented Thompson(®) or ETS(®) implants could still be suitable for the oldest, low-activity patients. To finally decide if there is a place for them, patient-reported outcome must be analysed as well...
- Arthroplasty options in femoral-neck fracture: answers from the national registriesArun Kannan
University of Minnesota, Minneapolis, MN, USA
Int Orthop 36:1-8. 2012..Clinical trials and systematic reviews of such trials have not provided a convincing answer to this question...
- Displaced femoral neck fractures in young adults treated with closed reduction and internal fixationHui Kuang Huang
Department of Orthopedics and Traumatology, Taipei Veterans General Hospital, Taipei, Taiwan
Orthopedics 33:873. 2010..reduction and internal fixation with 3 different screw configurations for acute completely displaced femoral neck fractures in young adults...
- A cost-effectiveness analysis of the arthroplasty options for displaced femoral neck fractures in the active, healthy, elderly populationJames Slover
Department of Orthopaedics, Massachusetts General Hospital, Boston, Massachusetts, USA P60 AR48094
J Arthroplasty 24:854-60. 2009..of total hip arthroplasty (THA) compared with hemiarthroplasty (HEMI) in the treatment of displaced femoral neck fractures in active otherwise healthy older patients in whom the optimum treatment is believed to be an arthroplasty ..
- Systematic review of cemented versus uncemented hemiarthroplasty for displaced femoral neck fractures in older patientsXiangping Luo
Department of Orthopedic Surgery, The People s Hospital of Leiyang, Hunan, China
Arch Orthop Trauma Surg 132:455-63. 2012..was to assess the effectiveness and safety of cemented versus uncemented hemiarthroplasty for displaced femoral neck fractures in older patients...
- Quality of life related to fracture displacement among elderly patients with femoral neck fractures treated with internal fixationJan Tidermark
Department of Orthopaedics, Stockholm Soder Hospital, Stockholm, Sweden
J Orthop Trauma 16:34-8. 2002To determine differences in outcome between undisplaced (Garden I and II) and displaced (Garden III and IV) femoral neck fractures in elderly patients treated with internal fixation.
- Cemented versus uncemented hemiarthroplasty for displaced femoral neck fractures: a prospective randomized trial with early follow-upJoseph P Deangelis
Department of Orthopaedics, Beth Israel Deaconess Medical Center, Harvard Medical School, Boston, MA, USA
J Orthop Trauma 26:135-40. 2012..To prospectively compare the functional outcome associated with cemented and uncemented hemiarthroplasty...
- Mortality after admission to hospital with fractured neck of femur: database studyMichael J Goldacre
Unit of Health Care Epidemiology, Department of Public Health, Institute of Health Sciences, University of Oxford, Oxford OX3 7LF
BMJ 325:868-9. 2002
- Internal fixation versus hemiarthroplasty versus total hip arthroplasty for displaced subcapital fractures of femur--13 year results of a prospective randomised studyK J Ravikumar
Mayday University Hospital, Thornton Heath, Surrey, UK
Injury 31:793-7. 2000..25%. THA should be seriously considered in physiologically active patients with a displaced subcapital fracture of the femur...
- Gamma nails revisited: gamma nails versus compression hip screws in the management of intertrochanteric fractures of the hip: a meta-analysisMohit Bhandari
Division of Orthopaedic Surgery, McMaster University, Hamilton, ON, Canada
J Orthop Trauma 23:460-4. 2009..The current meta-analysis aimed to explore the effects of time and Gamma Nail design on the risks of femoral shaft fracture after treatment of extracapsular hip fractures...
- Time trends and demography of mortality after fractured neck of femur in an English population, 1968-98: database studyStephen E Roberts
Unit of Health Care Epidemiology, Department of Public Health, University of Oxford, Oxford OX3 7LF
BMJ 327:771-5. 2003..To investigate time trends in mortality after admission to hospital for fractured neck of femur from 1968 to 1998, and to report on the effects of demographic factors on mortality...
- Total hip arthroplasty and hemiarthroplasty in mobile, independent patients with a displaced intracapsular fracture of the femoral neck. A randomized, controlled trialR P Baker
Avon Orthopaedic Centre, Southmead Hospital, Southmead Road, Bristol, BS10 5NB, United Kingdom
J Bone Joint Surg Am 88:2583-9. 2006..Hemiarthroplasty and total hip arthroplasty are commonly used to treat displaced intracapsular fractures of the femoral neck, but each has disadvantages and the optimal treatment of these fractures remains controversial...
- Mortality after femoral neck fractures: a two-year follow-upJaunius Kurtinaitis
Clinic of Rheumatology, Traumatology Orthopaedic and Reconstructive Surgery, Medical Faculty, Vilnius University, 2nd Department of Orthopaedic Surgery, Vilnius University Emergency Hospital, Siltnamiu 29, 04130 Vilnius, Lithuania
Medicina (Kaunas) 48:145-9. 2012To identify the survival and standardized mortality ratio with respect to gender, age, and treatment method of patients treated for femoral neck fractures.
- The Norwegian Hip Fracture Register: experiences after the first 2 years and 15,576 reported operationsJan Erik Gjertsen
Department of Orthopedic Surgery, The Norwegian Arthroplasty Register, Haukeland University Hospital, Bergen, Norway
Acta Orthop 79:583-93. 2008..The Norwegian Hip Fracture Register was established in January 2005 to collect nationwide information as a basis for improved management of patients with hip fractures. We now report our experience after the first 2 years...
- Predictors of mortality in elderly patients with an intertrochanteric or a femoral neck fractureHayrettin Kesmezacar
Orthopaedics and Traumatology Department, Istanbul University, Istanbul, Turkey
J Trauma 68:153-8. 2010..We wanted to convey if there was any decrease in mortality rate of intertrochanteric femur fracture patients when compared with femoral neck fracture patients who were almost always treated with arthroplasty...
- A new uncemented hydroxyapatite-coated femoral component for the treatment of femoral neck fractures: two-year radiostereometric and bone densitometric evaluation in 50 hipsO G Sköldenberg
Department of Clinical Sciences, Division of Orthopaedics, Karolinska Institute at Danderyd Hospital, S 18288 Stockholm, Sweden
J Bone Joint Surg Br 93:665-77. 2011..The two-year results from this pilot study indicate that this new, uncemented femoral component can be used for elderly patients with osteoporotic fractures of the femoral neck...
- A comparative biomechanical analysis of fixation devices for unstable femoral neck fractures: the Intertan versus cannulated screws or a dynamic hip screwMartin Rupprecht
Department of Trauma, Hand and Reconstructive Surgery, University Medical Center Hamburg Eppendorf, Martinistrasse, Hamburg, Germany
J Trauma 71:625-34. 2011..The purpose of this study was to identify the utility of this device for stabilization of unstable femoral neck fractures compared with cannulated screws (CS) and a dynamic hip screw (DHS).
- Internal fixation versus total hip arthroplasty in the treatment of displaced femoral neck fractures: a prospective randomized study of 100 hipsT Johansson
Department of Orthopaedics, University Hospital, Linkoping, Sweden
Acta Orthop Scand 71:597-602. 2000100 patients 75 years or older, with displaced femoral neck fractures, were randomly assigned to osteosynthesis with two parallel and percutaneously inserted screws (Olmed) or total hip arthroplasty (Lubinus IP)...
- The risk of revision due to dislocation after total hip arthroplasty depends on surgical approach, femoral head size, sex, and primary diagnosis. An analysis of 78,098 operations in the Swedish Hip Arthroplasty RegisterNils P Hailer
Department of Orthopaedics, Institute of Surgical Sciences, Uppsala University Hospital, Uppsala, Sweden
Acta Orthop 83:442-8. 2012....
- Impact of deep infection after hip fracture surgery on function and mortalityJ Partanen
Department of Orthopaedic and Trauma Surgery, University Hospital of Oulu, Oulu, Finland
J Hosp Infect 62:44-9. 2006..5% and 24.1% at one year, respectively (P=0.508). In conclusion, deep infection after a hip fracture operation impairs short-term functional outcome and slightly increases mortality, with an excess mortality rate of 10.4%...
- Computerized navigation for the internal fixation of femoral neck fracturesMeir Liebergall
Department of Orthopedic Surgery, Hadassah Hebrew University Medical School, Hadassah Medical Center, P O Box 12000, Jerusalem 91120, Israel
J Bone Joint Surg Am 88:1748-54. 2006Accurate placement of cannulated screws is essential to ensure secure fixation of femoral neck fractures. We compared computerized navigation and conventional fluoroscopy with regard to the accuracy of screw placement for the fixation of ..
- Trends in surgical management of femoral neck fractures in the United StatesNitin B Jain
Department of Orthopedic Surgery, New England Baptist Hospital, Boston, MA, USA
Clin Orthop Relat Res 466:3116-22. 2008..trends in utilization of open reduction and internal fixation (ORIF), THA, and hemiarthroplasty (HA) for femoral neck fractures. Closed femoral neck fractures managed with ORIF or hip arthroplasty (n = 162,257) were extracted from ..
- A comparison of hemiarthroplasty with total hip replacement for displaced intracapsular fracture of the femoral neck: a randomised controlled multicentre trial in patients aged 70 years and overM P J van den Bekerom
Department of Orthopaedic Surgery, Academic Medical Center, Amsterdam, The Netherlands
J Bone Joint Surg Br 92:1422-8. 2010..002), we do not recommend THR as the treatment of choice in patients aged ≥ 70 years with a fracture of the femoral neck in the absence of advanced radiological osteoarthritis or rheumatoid arthritis of the hip...
- Delayed internal fixation of fractures of the neck of the femur in young adults. A prospective, randomised study comparing closed and open reductionA Upadhyay
Department of Orthopaedic Surgery, Maulana Azad Medical College, Lok Nayak Hospital and Sushrut Trauma Centre, Bahadur Shah Zafar Marg, New Delhi, India
J Bone Joint Surg Br 86:1035-40. 2004..3% (15 of 92 patients) and it was not influenced by these factors. A delay of more than 48 hours before surgery did not influence the rate of union or the development of AVN when compared with operation within 48 hours of injury...
- Hip hemiarthroplasty after displaced femoral neck fracture: a survivorship analysisThomas Tanous
Department of Orthopedic Surgery and Rehabilitation, The University of Texas Medical Branch, Galveston, TX, USA
Orthopedics 33:385. 2010The standard of care for displaced femoral neck fractures is not clear. We reviewed all patients 65 years or older with displaced femoral neck fracture who underwent hip hemiarthroplasty at our institution between 1997 and 2006...
- Surgical treatment of intertrochanteric hip fractures with associated femoral neck fractures using a sliding hip screwRichard F Kyle
Department of Orthopaedic Surgery, Hennepin County Medical Center, Minneapolis, MN 55415, USA
J Orthop Trauma 19:1-4. 2005..The purpose of this study was to report the results of surgical treatment of a subset of intertrochanteric fractures with posteromedial comminution and extension of the fracture line into the femoral neck using a sliding hip screw...
- Changes in implant choice and surgical technique for hemiarthroplasty. 21,346 procedures from the Swedish Hip Arthroplasty Register 2005-2009Olof Leonardsson
Department of Ortopaedics, Lund University, Skane University Hospital, Malmo, Sweden
Acta Orthop 83:7-13. 2012Treatment of displaced femoral neck fractures in Sweden has shifted towards more arthroplasties, especially hemiarthroplasties. We describe the hemiarthroplasty population in Sweden 2005 through 2009.
- Challenges in the treatment of femoral neck fractures in the nonelderly adultRoy I Davidovitch
Department of Orthopaedic Surgery, Orthopaedic Trauma Service, NYU Hospital for Joint Diseases, 301 East 17th Street, Suite 1402, New York, NY 10003, USA
J Trauma 68:236-42. 2010b>Femoral neck fractures in young patients are a relatively rare event and are often the consequence of a high-energy injury. Concomitant injuries are present more than 50% of the time...
- The clinical significance of impaction at the femoral neck fracture site in the elderlyTakashi Shimizu
Department of Orthopaedic Surgery, Takayama Red Cross Hospital, Takayama, Japan
Arch Orthop Trauma Surg 127:515-21. 2007Factors influencing clinical outcomes of osteosynthesis for elderly patients with Garden stage I and II femoral neck fractures are not well understood.
- Dual mobility cup reduces dislocation rate after arthroplasty for femoral neck fractureSarunas Tarasevicius
Department of Orthopedics, Lund University Hospital, Getingevagen 4, Lund, Sweden
BMC Musculoskelet Disord 11:175. 2010Hip dislocation after arthroplasty for femoral neck fractures remains a serious complication...
- Interobserver reliability of classification systems to rate the quality of femoral neck fracture reductionPaul J Karanicolas
Department of Surgery, London Health Sciences Centre, London, Canada
J Orthop Trauma 23:408-12. 2009..We compared the interrater reliability of five classification systems and surgeons' global impressions of the quality of femoral neck fracture reduction...
- Differences in hip bone mineral density may explain the hip fracture pattern in osteoarthritic hipsOlof Wolf
Department of Orthopedics, Uppsala University Hospital, Sweden
Acta Orthop 80:308-13. 2009In patients with osteoarthritis of the hip (OAH), trochanteric fractures are much more common than femoral neck fractures. One reason may be altered bone composition in the proximal femurs...
- Unipolar hemiarthroplasty versus bipolar hemiarthroplasty in the most elderly patients with displaced femoral neck fractures: a randomised, controlled trialCarl Johan Hedbeck
Karolinska Institutet, Department of Clinical Science and Education, Section of Orthopaedics, Sodersjukhuset, Stockholm, Sweden
Int Orthop 35:1703-11. 2011..The secondary aim was to analyse the degree of acetabular erosion and its influence upon outcome...
- A prospective randomised trial of internal fixation versus arthroplasty for displaced fractures of the neck of the femur. Functional outcome for 450 patients at two yearsC Rogmark
Department of Orthopaedics, Malmo University Hospital, Sweden
J Bone Joint Surg Br 84:183-8. 2002..05). There was no difference in mortality. With a high rate of failure and poor functional outcome after IF, we recommend primary arthroplasty for displaced fractures of the neck of the femur in patients over 70 years of age...
- Long-term outcome of patients with avascular necrosis, after internal fixation of femoral neck fracturesK E Nikolopoulos
Orthopaedic and Traumatology Department, University of Athens Medical School, KAT Accident Hospital, Athens, Greece
Injury 34:525-8. 2003..Internal fixation remains a simple and safe, method of treatment for both undisplaced and displaced femoral neck fractures in middle-age patients...
- Unipolar versus bipolar Exeter hip hemiarthroplasty: a prospective cohort study on 830 consecutive hips in patients with femoral neck fracturesAnders Enocson
Karolinska Institutet, Department of Clinical Science and Education, Orthopaedic Unit, Stockholm Soder Hospital, Stockholm, Sweden
Int Orthop 36:711-7. 2012..Data from the Swedish Hip Arthroplasty Register suggest that there is a higher risk for revision surgery with the bipolar HA compared with the unipolar HA...
- A new measurement for posterior tilt predicts reoperation in undisplaced femoral neck fractures: 113 consecutive patients treated by internal fixation and followed for 1 yearHenrik Palm
Department of Orthopaedic Surgery, Hvidovre University Hospital, Copenhagen, Denmark
Acta Orthop 80:303-7. 2009Preoperative posterior tilt in undisplaced (Garden I-II) femoral neck fractures is thought to influence rates of reoperation. However, an exact method for its measurement has not yet been presented...
- Optimal arthroplasty for femoral neck fractures: is total hip arthroplasty the answer?Andrew H Schmidt
HCMC Department of Orthopedic Surgery, Minneapolis, MN 55415, USA
J Orthop Trauma 23:428-33. 2009..studies have documented superior and more durable function in a subset of patients with displaced femoral neck fractures after total hip replacement when compared to hemiarthroplasty or uncomplicated osteosynthesis...
- More intramedullary nails and arthroplasties for treatment of hip fractures in SwedenCecilia Rogmark
Department of Orthopaedics, Lund University, Skane University Hospital, Malmo, Sweden
Acta Orthop 81:588-92. 2010The surgical methods for treatment of femoral neck fractures and trochanteric hip fractures vary. We describe the changes in Sweden over the period 1998–2007 and the regional differences in treatment...
- Fixation versus hemiarthroplasty for undisplaced intracapsular hip fracturesMartyn J Parker
Department of Orthopaedics, Peterborough and Stamford NHS Foundation Trust, Peterborough District Hospital, Thorpe Road, Peterborough, United Kingdom
Injury 39:791-5. 2008....
- Cementless hemiarthroplasty in femoral neck fractures: evaluation of clinical results and measurement of migration by EBRA-FCAT Klestil
Department of Trauma Surgery and Sports Medicine, Medical University Innsbruck, Anichstr 35, 6020 Innsbruck, Austria
Arch Orthop Trauma Surg 126:380-6. 2006Aim of the present study was to evaluate migration rates of cementless primary hemiarthroplasty in acute femoral neck fractures. In a longitudinal, prospective study 46 patients were treated by cementless hemiarthroplasty...
- Undisplaced femoral neck fractures--no problems? A consecutive study of 224 patients treated with internal fixationCecilia Rogmark
Lund University, Department of Orthopaedics, Malmo University Hospital, SE 205 02, Malmo, Sweden
Injury 40:274-6. 2009224 patients with undisplaced femoral neck fractures treated with two parallel Hansson hook pins were studied. After a mean follow-up time of 32 months (S.D. 5.2), 15% had a reoperation...
- Primary total hip arthroplasty versus hemiarthroplasty for displaced intracapsular hip fractures in older patients: systematic reviewColin Hopley
DePuy International, Leeds LS11 8DT
BMJ 340:c2332. 2010....
- Prognosis of proximal femoral fracture in patients aged 90 years and olderT Hagino
Department Orthopaedic Surgery, National Hospital Organization, Kofu National Hospital, Yamanashi, Japan
J Orthop Surg (Hong Kong) 14:122-6. 2006..To examine the walking ability and survival outcome of patients aged 90 years and older who sustained proximal femoral fractures, and to compare the findings with those of younger patients reported in previous studies...
- Internal screw fixation compared with bipolar hemiarthroplasty for treatment of displaced femoral neck fractures in elderly patientsJ E Gjertsen
Department of Orthopaedic Surgery, Haukeland University Hospital, 5021 Bergen, Norway
J Bone Joint Surg Am 92:619-28. 2010Internal fixation and arthroplasty are the two main options for the treatment of displaced femoral neck fractures in the elderly. The optimal treatment remains controversial...
- Femoral neck fracturesAndrew H Schmidt
University of Minnesota, Department of Orthopaedic Surgery, Hennepin County Medical Center, Minneapolis, USA
Instr Course Lect 54:417-45. 2005..The laudable goal of obtaining fracture healing and maintenance of a viable femoral head can be successfully achieved in a number of patients...
- The effect of aspirin on blood loss and transfusion requirements in patients with femoral neck fracturesBrian J Manning
Department of Academic Surgery, Cork University Hospital, Wilton, Cork, Ireland
Injury 35:121-4. 2004..aspirin on blood loss and transfusion requirements in patients undergoing emergency fixation of femoral neck fractures. A prospective case-control study was undertaken in patients presenting with femoral neck fractures...
- Systematic review of cemented and uncemented hemiarthroplasty outcomes for femoral neck fracturesJaimo Ahn
Department of Orthopaedic Surgery, The University of Pennsylvania, 3400 Spruce St, 2 Silverstein, Philadelphia, PA 19104, USA
Clin Orthop Relat Res 466:2513-8. 2008Although hemiarthroplasties are an important treatment for femoral neck fractures, the literature does not provide a clear approach for selecting the implant fixation method...
- Cannulated screws versus hemiarthroplasty for displaced intracapsular femoral neck fractures in demented patientsL M van Dortmont
Department of Surgery, Erasmus University Hospital Rotterdam, The Netherlands
Ann Chir Gynaecol 89:132-7. 2000..There are no randomised trials comparing internal fixation and hemiarthroplasty for a displaced intracapsular femoral neck fracture in relation to mental state...
- Trabecular bone volume and microdamage accumulation in the femoral heads of women with and without femoral neck fracturesS Mori
Department of Orthopedic Surgery, Kagawa Medical University, Japan
Bone 21:521-6. 1997..it is not clear whether microcracks accumulate with age in the human skeleton, or whether older women with femoral neck fractures have more microdamage than older women without fracture...
- Quality of life and femoral neck fracturesJan Tidermark
Department of Orthopedics, Stockholm Soder Hospital, Karolinska Institutet, Stockholm, Sweden
Acta Orthop Scand Suppl 74:1-42. 2003..The proper treatment of femoral neck fractures in the elderly is still controversial, and even more so from an international perspective...
- Fractures of the femoral neck: a review and personal statementErnst L F B Raaymakers
Surgical Clinic, Section Traumatology, Academisch Medish Centrum, Amsterdam, Netherlands
Acta Chir Orthop Traumatol Cech 73:45-59. 2006..CLASSIFICATION: The first classification of femoral neck fractures, proposed by Abraham Colles, in displaced and non-displaced (impacted) fractures appears to be still the ..
- Incidence of fracture-healing complications after femoral neck fracturesMartyn J Parker
Peterborough and Stamford Hospitals NHS Trust, Peterborough, UK
Clin Orthop Relat Res 458:175-9. 2007..Our study showed an increased risk for intracapsular hip fractures developing nonunion with older age and in females...
- Surgical management of hip fractures: an evidence-based review of the literature. I: femoral neck fracturesRyan G Miyamoto
Steadman Hawkins Clinic, Vail, CO, USA
J Am Acad Orthop Surg 16:596-607. 2008..Surgical options for the management of femoral neck fractures are closely linked to individual patient factors and to the location and degree of fracture displacement...
- Internal fixation versus arthroplasty for displaced femoral neck fractures: what is the evidence?Martin J Heetveld
Department of Surgery Kennemer Gasthuis Haarlem, The Netherlands
J Orthop Trauma 23:395-402. 2009..evidence for internal fixation versus hemiarthroplasty versus primary total hip arthroplasty for displaced femoral neck fractures was undertaken...
- Internal fixation versus hemiarthroplasty for displaced fractures of the femoral neck in elderly patients with severe cognitive impairmentR Blomfeldt
Karolinska Institute, Department of Orthopaedics at Stockholm Söder Hospital, S 11883 Stockholm, Sweden
J Bone Joint Surg Br 87:523-9. 2005..001). In our opinion, there is little to recommend hemiarthroplasty with an uncemented Austin Moore prosthesis compared with internal fixation, in patients with severe cognitive dysfunction...
- Femoral neck and intertrochanteric fractures have different risk factors: a prospective studyK M Fox
Managed EDGE, New York, NY 10016, USA
Osteoporos Int 11:1018-23. 2000..compared risk factors for the two types of hip fracture, calcaneal bone mineral density (BMD) predicted femoral neck fractures more strongly than intertrochanteric fractures (OR = 1.16; 95% CI = 1.02-1.31)...
- Internal fixation compared with arthroplasty for displaced fractures of the femoral neck. A meta-analysisMohit Bhandari
Department of Clinical Epidemiology and Biostatistics, Health Sciences Centre, McMaster University, Hamilton, Ontario, Canada
J Bone Joint Surg Am 85:1673-81. 2003The optimal choice for the stabilization of displaced femoral neck fractures remains controversial, with alternatives including arthroplasty and internal fixation...
- Predicting survival after treatment for fracture of the proximal femur and the effect of delays to surgeryJ Elliott
Department of Trauma and Orthopaedics, Royal Victoria Hospital, Grosvenor Road, Belfast BT12 6BJ, Ireland
J Clin Epidemiol 56:788-95. 2003..The aim of this study was to evaluate the prognosis after treatment for femoral neck fracture, to assess the impact of delay to surgery, and to devise a clinical prediction rule and score...
- Nutritional status in elderly female hip fracture patients: comparison with an age-matched home living group attending day centresM Lumbers
Food and Health Care Management Research Group, School of Management Studies for the Service Sector, University of Surrey, UK
Br J Nutr 85:733-40. 2001....
- Development and validation of a preoperative scoring system to predict 30 day mortality in patients undergoing hip fracture surgeryM J Maxwell
Department of Anaesthesia, University of Nottingham, Queen s Medical Centre Campus, Nottingham University Hospitals NHS Trust, Nottingham NG7 2UH, UK
Br J Anaesth 101:511-7. 2008..This study has determined key prognostic factors predicting 30 day mortality in a hip fracture population, and incorporated them into a scoring system to be used on admission...
- Femoral neck fractures in the elderly: functional outcome and quality of life according to EuroQolJan Tidermark
Department of Orthopaedics, Karolinska Institute at Stockholm Söder Hospital, Sweden
Qual Life Res 11:473-81. 2002..The EQ-5D appears to be an easy-to use instrument even for elderly patients with femoral neck fractures. Changes in the quality of life may be useful to identify patients who might benefit from reoperation, i.e...
- Surgical treatment of displaced femoral neck fractures in the elderly: a survey of the American Association of Hip and Knee SurgeonsRichard Iorio
Department of Orthopedic Surgery, Lahey Clinic Medical Center, Burlington, Massachusetts
J Arthroplasty 21:1124-33. 2006..of Hip and Knee Surgeons (AAHKS) membership to evaluate surgical treatment preferences for displaced femoral neck fractures (DFNFXs)...
- Displaced femoral neck fracture: comparison of primary total hip replacement with secondary replacement after failed internal fixation: a 2-year follow-up of 84 patientsRichard Blomfeldt
Karolinska Institutet, Department of Orthopaedics at Stockholm Söder Hospital, Stockholm, SE 118 83 Sweden
Acta Orthop 77:638-43. 2006..The main aim of our study was to determine whether a primary THR, as compared to a secondary THR after failed IF, gives a better outcome after 2 years...
- Quality of life after dislocation of hip arthroplasty: a prospective cohort study on 319 patients with femoral neck fractures with a one-year follow-upAnders Enocson
Karolinska Institutet, Department of Clinical Science and Education, Section for Orthopaedics, Stockholm Soder Hospital, 118 83, Stockholm, Sweden
Qual Life Res 18:1177-84. 2009..We analysed how a dislocation of the hip arthroplasty influenced the patients' HRQoL...
- Cemented or uncemented hemiarthroplasty for displaced intracapsular fractures of the hip--a systematic reviewR J K Khan
Department of Trauma and Orthopaedic Surgery, Bedford Hospital, Bedford MK47 9DU, UK
Injury 33:13-7. 2002..We conclude, the literature tends to support the use of cement in hemiarthroplasty for displaced intracapsular femoral neck fractures. Further prospective randomised studies are required to resolve the issue.
- Diagnosis of femoral neck fractures in patients with a femoral shaft fracture. Improvement with a standard protocolPaul Tornetta
Department of Orthopaedics, Boston Medical Center, 850 Harrison Avenue, Dowling 2 North, Boston, MA 02118, USA
J Bone Joint Surg Am 89:39-43. 2007..Recognition of an associated femoral neck fracture prior to stabilization of the femoral shaft fracture is imperative to avoid or minimize complications of displacement and osteonecrosis...
- Outcome of undisplaced and moderately displaced femoral neck fracturesKristian Bjørgul
Department of Orthopaedics, Østfold Hospital, Fredrikstad, Norway
Acta Orthop 78:498-504. 2007..We compared the outcome of displaced fractures with good healing potential (moderately displaced fractures) to the outcome of undisplaced fractures treated by internal fixation with 2 parallel screws...
- Internal fixation compared with total hip replacement for displaced femoral neck fractures in the elderly. A randomised, controlled trialJ Tidermark
Department of Orthopaedics, Karolinska Institute, Stockholm Soder Hospital, Sweden
J Bone Joint Surg Br 85:380-8. 2003..05). The results of our study strongly suggest that THR provides a better outcome than IF for elderly, relatively healthy, lucid patients with a displaced fracture of the femoral neck...
- Long-term follow-up of replacement compared with internal fixation for displaced femoral neck fractures: results at ten years in a randomised study of 450 patientsO Leonardsson
Department of Orthopaedics, Lund University, Skåne University Hospital Malmö, S 20502 Malmo, Sweden
J Bone Joint Surg Br 92:406-12. 2010..Primary replacement gave reliable long-term results in patients with a displaced fracture of the femoral neck...
- Rating of internal fixation and clinical outcome in displaced femoral neck fractures: a prospective multicenter studyM J Heetveld
Trauma Unit, Department of Surgery, Academic Medical Center, Amsterdam, The Netherlands
Clin Orthop Relat Res 454:207-13. 2007The influence of precise surgical technique on the clinical outcome of internal fixation for displaced femoral neck fractures is an under-reported and potential confounding factor in randomized studies involving internal fixation as a ..
- Cemented versus uncemented hemiarthroplasty for femoral neck fractures in elderly patients: a meta-analysisTao Li
Department of Orthopaedic Surgery, Peking Union Medical College Hospital, Peking Union Medical College, Chinese Academy of Medical Science, Beijing, China
PLoS ONE 8:e68903. 2013Controversy still exists regarding using cemented or uncemented hemiarthroplasty for femoral neck fractures in elderly patients...
- What's new in hip fractures? Current conceptsFrank A Liporace
Orthopaedic Surgery, University of South Florida, Tampa, Florida, USA
Am J Orthop (Belle Mead NJ) 34:66-74. 2005..In this article, we outline some of these developments with respect to femoral neck and intertrochanteric fractures...
- Assessment of radiographic fracture healing in patients with operatively treated femoral neck fracturesMohit Bhandari
Department of Orthopaedic Surgery, McMaster University, Hamilton, Ontario, Canada
J Orthop Trauma 27:e213-9. 2013This study was conducted to determine interrater and intrarater reliabilities on the healing assessment of femoral neck fractures between orthopedic surgeons and radiologists and to test the performance of a checklist system for hip ..
- [Femoral neck fractures in patients over 50 years old]P Simon
Centre hospitalier Saint Joseph Saint Luc, 20, Quai Claude Bernard, 69365 Lyon Cedex 07, France
Rev Chir Orthop Reparatrice Appar Mot 94:S108-32. 2008..and instructional course lectures, therapeutic guidelines are not clearly defined about treatment of femoral neck fractures. The aim of this multicentric French symposium was to prospectively study the results of current ..
- Fractures of the femoral neckRichard F Kyle
Hennepin County Medical Center, Department of Orthopaedic Surgery, University of Minnesota, Minneapolis, Minnesota, USA
Instr Course Lect 58:61-8. 2009..The Garden and Pauwels classifications both are routinely used to describe displacement and stability of femoral neck fractures. Osteonecrosis and nonunion remain problematic because of the compromised blood supply to the femoral head ..
- Total hip replacement versus open reduction and internal fixation of displaced femoral neck fractures: a randomized long-term follow-up studyGhazi Khalil Chammout
Department of Clinical Sciences, Karolinska Institute, Stockholm, Sweden
J Bone Joint Surg Am 94:1921-8. 2012..The aim of the present study was to compare the results of total hip replacement with those of internal fixation over a long-term follow-up period of seventeen years...
- Arthroplasty or internal fixation for displaced femoral neck fractures: which is the optimal alternative for elderly patients? A meta-analysisJing Wang
Department of Orthopedics and Trauma, Peking University People s Hospital, South Xi Zhi Men Street 11, Beijing, People s Republic of China, 100044
Int Orthop 33:1179-87. 2009..trials (RCTs) containing 3,109 patients to compare arthroplasty with internal fixation of displaced femoral neck fractures regarding the effect on clinical outcomes...
- Cemented versus uncemented hemiarthroplasty for displaced femoral neck fractures: 5-year followup of a randomized trialEllen Langslet
Orthopaedic Department, Baerum Hospital, Vestre Viken Hospital Trust, 1309, Rud, Norway
Clin Orthop Relat Res 472:1291-9. 2014Displaced femoral neck fractures usually are treated with hemiarthroplasty. However, the degree to which the design of the implant used (cemented or uncemented) affects the outcome is not known and may be therapeutically important.
- Time to internal fixation of femoral neck fractures in patients under sixty years--does this matter in the development of osteonecrosis of femoral head?Fathima Razik
Imperial College School of Medicine, London, UK
Int Orthop 36:2127-32. 2012Osteonecrosis of femoral head remains a major complication of femoral neck fractures. It has been postulated that early internal fixation drastically reduces the incidence of osteonecrosis of the femoral head...
- Two or three screws for fixation of femoral neck fractures?Stephen G Maurer
Department of Orthopaedic Surgery, New York University Hospital for Joint Diseases, New York, New York, USA
Am J Orthop (Belle Mead NJ) 32:438-42. 2003..cancellous lag screws with that of 2 cannulated cancellous lag screws for fixation of subcapital femoral neck fractures. Using 10 matched pairs of human cadaveric femurs, subcapital femoral neck osteotomies were created, ..
- Pediatric femoral neck fractures: our 10 years of experienceKamal Bali
Department of Orthopedics, Postgraduate Institute of Medical Education and Research, Chandigarh, India
Clin Orthop Surg 3:302-8. 2011b>Femoral neck fractures are rare injuries in children, but the high incidence of long term complications make it an important clinical entity...
- Femoral neck fractures in older patients: indication for osteosynthesisEichi Itadera
Department of Orthopaedic Surgery, Kochi Prefectural Aki Hospital, 1 32 Hoei cho, Aki 784 0027, Japan
J Orthop Sci 8:155-9. 2003In almost all the patients over 65 years of age with intracapsular femoral neck fractures who we treated over a 2-year period, we used osteosynthesis with Ace 6.5-mm cannulated cancellous screws...
- Ipsilateral femoral neck and shaft fracture in childrenAnil Agarwal
Department of Orthopaedics, UCMS and GTB Hospital, Shahdara, Delhi, India
J Trauma 64:E47-53. 2008
- Technical considerations in the operative management of femoral neck fractures in elderly patients: a multinational surveySanjeev Kakar
Department of Clinical Epidemiology and Biostatistics, McMaster University, Hamilton, Ontario, USA
J Trauma 63:641-6. 2007To identify current opinions among orthopedic traumatologists relating to technical aspects of internal fixation and arthroplasty for patients with femoral neck fractures.
- Total hip replacement after femoral neck fractures in elderly patients : results of 8,577 fractures reported to the Norwegian Arthroplasty RegisterJan Erik Gjertsen
The Norwegian Arthroplasty Register, Department of Orthopaedic Surgery, Haukeland University Hospital, Bergen, Norway
Acta Orthop 78:491-7. 2007A total hip arthroplasty (THA) is often used as treatment for failed osteosynthesis of femoral neck fractures and is now also used for acute femoral neck fractures...
- Hemiarthroplasty compared to internal fixation with percutaneous cannulated screws as treatment of displaced femoral neck fractures in the elderly: cost-utility analysis performed alongside a randomized, controlled trialG M Waaler Bjørnelv
Department of Health Management and Health Economics, University of Oslo, 1089, Blindern, 0317, Oslo, Norway
Osteoporos Int 23:1711-9. 2012..cost-effectiveness of hemiarthroplasty compared to internal fixation for elderly patients with displaced femoral neck fractures. Over 2 years, patients treated with hemiarthroplasty gained more quality-adjusted life years than ..
- A survey of the treatment of displaced intracapsular femoral neck fractures in the UKP T Crossman
Department of Trauma and Orthopaedic Surgery, Luton and Dunstable Hospital, UK
Injury 33:383-6. 2002A survey was undertaken to investigate the treatment of displaced intracapsular femoral neck fractures across the UK. The usual practice at 223 hospitals was recorded for two groups of patients, active and frail...
- Comparison of bipolar hemiarthroplasty with total hip arthroplasty for displaced femoral neck fractures: a concise four-year follow-up of a randomized trialCarl Johan Hedbeck
Department of Orthopaedics, Sodersjukhuset, Stockholm, Sweden
J Bone Joint Surg Am 93:445-50. 2011..039). These results confirm the better results in terms of hip function and quality of life after total hip arthroplasty as compared with hemiarthroplasty in elderly, lucid patients with a displaced fracture of the femoral neck...
- A meta-analysis of total hip arthroplasty and hemiarthroplasty outcomes for displaced femoral neck fracturesLiang Liao
Department of Orthopedic Trauma and Hand Surgery, The First Affiliated Hospital of Guangxi Medical University, No 6 Shuang Yong Road, Nanning, Guangxi Province, China
Arch Orthop Trauma Surg 132:1021-9. 2012Total hip arthroplasty or hemiarthroplasty are used to treat displaced femoral neck fractures. However, the optimal treatment of these fractures remained controversial.
- Does cementing the femoral component increase the risk of peri-operative mortality for patients having replacement surgery for a fracture of the neck of femur? Data from the National Hip Fracture DatabaseM L Costa
University of Warwick, Clinical Sciences Building, Clifford Bridge Road, Coventry CV2 2DX, UK
J Bone Joint Surg Br 93:1405-10. 2011..This study has not shown an increase in peri-operative mortality as a result of cementing the femoral component in patients requiring hip replacement following fracture of the proximal femur...
- Screw augmentation in displaced femoral neck fractures. Clinical and histological results using a new compositeF Frihagen
Orthopaedic Centre, Ulleval University Hospital, Faculty of Medicine, University of Oslo, 0407 Oslo, Norway
Injury 38:797-805. 2007We wanted to assess a new technique for augmentation of parallel screws in internal fixation of displaced femoral neck fractures with a bis-GMA-based composite delivered around the screw head...
- Treatment of femoral neck fractures in young adultsThuan V Ly
Department of Orthopaedic Surgery, University of Minnesota, Minneapolis, Minnesota, USA
Instr Course Lect 58:69-81. 2009b>Femoral neck fractures in physiologically young adults, which often result from high-energy trauma, are less common than intracapsular femoral neck fractures in elderly patients...
- Optimal internal fixation for femoral neck fractures: multiple screws or sliding hip screws?Mohit Bhandari
Division of Orthopaedic Surgery, McMaster University, Hamilton, Ontario, Canada
J Orthop Trauma 23:403-7. 2009..Hip fractures are associated with a 30% mortality rate at 1 year and profound temporary, and sometimes permanent, impairment of independence and quality of life...
- Modified Pauwels' intertrochanteric osteotomy in neglected femoral neck fractureNarender Kumar Magu
Department of Orthopaedics, 22 8FM, Medical Enclave, PGIMS, Rohtak, 124001 Haryana, India
Clin Orthop Relat Res 467:1064-73. 2009Many reported treatment methods for neglected femoral neck fractures do not always satisfactorily address nonunion, coxa vara, and limb shortening...
- Fixation using Alternative Implants for the Treatment of Hip Fractures: A Multi-cMarc F Swiontkowski; Fiscal Year: 2012..hip screws versus cannulated screw fixation on rates of revision surgery at 2 years in individuals with femoral neck fractures. Our secondary objective is to determine the impact on health-related quality of like (Short Form-12, SF-..
- Hip Fracture Evaluation Alternatives of Total Hip vs Hemi-arthroplasty (HEALTH)Thomas Einhorn; Fiscal Year: 2009..design, comparing total hip arthroplasty (THA) versus hemi-arthroplasty (HA) in patients with displaced femoral neck fractures. This pilot study will recruit 100 patients, across 10 US sites: (1) Boston Medical Center, Boston, MA, (2)..
- FICSIT COLLABORATIVE ANALYSESRobert Wallace; Fiscal Year: 1993..Care costs of elderly persons following falls is also of critical concern, with acute care costs for femoral neck fractures alone projected at 3 billion dollars in the U.S. in 1990 (Burnside, 1988)...
- EXERCISE AND BLOOD PRESSURE IN CHILDREN: A META-ANALYSISGeorge Kelley; Fiscal Year: 2001..The investigators state that the results of this project will provide clarification regarding the role of exercise in reducing resting systolic and diastolic blood pressure in children and adolescents. ..
- Circulating Osteoblast Lineage Cells in HumansSundeep Khosla; Fiscal Year: 2005..abstract_text> ..
- Estrogen Regulation of the Bone Marrrow AdipocyteSundeep Khosla; Fiscal Year: 2010....
- Aerobic Exercise, Diet and Cholesterol: A Meta-AnalysisGeorge A Kelley; Fiscal Year: 2010..This is important since one of the major goals of the Department of Health and Human Services is to increase the quality and years of healthy life. ..
- EFFECTS OF ACID ON BONEDavid A Bushinsky; Fiscal Year: 2010..The current proposal is aimed at understanding the first steps by which acid is detected by bone cells. Understanding the process by which the bone detects and neutralizes the acid can lead to an improvement in bone health. ..