- Anaylsis of birefringence during wound healing and remodeling following alkali burns in rabbit cornea
Department of Optometry and Vision Sciences, University of Cardiff, Cardiff, CF10 3NB, UK
Exp Eye Res 73:521-32. 2001
..The technique presented here for birefringence evaluation can provide an alternative way to monitor wound healing and tissue remodeling, both visually and quantitatively...
- Reconstruction of damaged corneas by transplantation of autologous limbal epithelial cells
R J Tsai
Department of Ophthalmology, Chang Gung Memorial Hospital, Taoyuan, Taiwan
N Engl J Med 343:86-93. 2000
Stevens-Johnson syndrome, ocular pemphigoid, and thermal or chemical burns can cause scarring and opacification of the cornea and loss of vision...
- Mistaken identity of skin cleansing solution leading to extensive chemical burns in an extremely preterm infant
Winnicott Baby Unit, Department of Neonatology, St Mary s Hospital, Praed Street, London W2 1NY, UK
Acta Paediatr 96:1536-7. 2007
b>Chemical burns in extremely preterm infants have major implications in terms of morbidity and risk management...
- An in vivo confocal microscopy and impression cytology analysis of goblet cells in patients with chemical burns
Qi hua Le
Department of Ophthalmology, Eye and ENT Hospital of Fudan University, Shanghai, China
Invest Ophthalmol Vis Sci 51:1397-400. 2010
To evaluate goblet cell density (GCD) on conjunctiva and cornea in patients with ocular chemical burns by in vivo laser scanning confocal microscopy (LSCM) and impression cytology (IC) and to explore the correlation between two methods.
- Prediction of bleeding and stricture formation after corrosive ingestion by EUS concurrent with upper endoscopy
Han Mo Chiu
Department of Internal Medicine, National Taiwan University College of Medicine, Taipei, Taiwan
Gastrointest Endosc 60:827-33. 2004
..The role of EUS in corrosive injury has not been investigated. The aim of this study was to determine whether concurrent catheter-probe EUS provides additional information that predicts complications after corrosive injury...
- Amniotic membrane transplantation in acute chemical burns
Cornea Services, Guru Nanak Eye Center, New Delhi 110002, India
Eye (Lond) 19:273-8. 2005
To evaluate the outcome of fresh amniotic membrane transplantation (AMT) for ocular surface reconstruction in acute chemical burns.
- Treatment of caustic ingestion: an analysis of 239 cases
R C M Mamede
Department of Ophthalmology, Otorhinolaryngology and Head and Neck Surgery, Faculty of Medicine of Ribeirao Preto, University of Sao Paulo, Ribeirao Preto, SP, Brazil
Dis Esophagus 15:210-3. 2002
..When 2-3 tablespoons are ingested, corticosteroids, in addition to being unable to prevent the formation of esophageal stenosis, increase the risk of other complications...
- Corrosive injury to upper gastrointestinal tract: Still a major surgical dilemma
Siew Min Keh
The Royal National Nose, Throat and Ear Hospital, London, WC1X 8DA, United Kingdom
World J Gastroenterol 12:5223-8. 2006
..Each patient must be evaluated individually as the clinical picture varies widely. Signs and symptoms alone are an unreliable guide to injury...
- Epidemiology of 377 patients with chemical burns in Guangdong province
Department of Burns, The Red Cross Hospital, 396 Tongfu Zhong Road, Jinan University, Guangzhou 510220, China
Burns 30:569-72. 2004
A total of 377 patients with chemical burns from all over Guangdong province were admitted to the Guangzhou Red Cross Hospital during the period from January 1987 to December 2001...
- Subconjunctival injection of recombinant AAV-angiostatin ameliorates alkali burn induced corneal angiogenesis
Huey Chuan Cheng
Department of Ophthalmology, Mackay Memorial Hospital, Taipei, Taiwan
Mol Vis 13:2344-52. 2007
..To evaluate the effect of subconjunctival injection of recombinant adeno-associated virus (rAAV)-angiostatin in alkali burn-induced corneal angiogenesis...
- Effect of natural antioxidants on antioxidant activity and lipid peroxidation in eye tissue of rabbits with chemical burns
F S Gakhramanov
Z A Alieva Azerbaijan Institute of Eye Diseases
Bull Exp Biol Med 140:289-91. 2005
..The severity of disturbances was maximum at the stage of trophic disorders. Combination therapy with antioxidants and standard pharmaceuticals effectively inhibited lipid peroxidation in eye tissue of experimental animals...
- Corrosive ingestion in adults
The Department of Medicine, Mount Sinai Services, City Hospital Center at Elmhurst, New York, New York, USA
J Clin Gastroenterol 37:119-24. 2003
..Stricture formation is more common in patients with second and third degree burns. Corticosteroids may help prevent stricture formation. Esophageal carcinoma may develop beginning 30 to 40 years after the time of injury...
- What is the utility of selected clinical and endoscopic parameters in predicting the risk of death after caustic ingestion?
G P Rigo
Gastrointestinal Unit, University of Modena and Reggio Emilia, Modena, Italy
Endoscopy 34:304-10. 2002
..We evaluated the usefulness of selected clinical and endoscopic parameters in predicting the risk of death after ingestion of caustic substances...
- Conservative treatment of caustic esophageal strictures in children
H Z Gündoğdu
Department of Pediatric Surgery, Hacettepe University Children s Hospital, Ankara, Turkey
J Pediatr Surg 27:767-70. 1992
..Most caustic esophageal strictures could have been treated by conservative measures in children...
- Ingestion of caustic substances and its complications
R C Mamede
Head and Neck Surgery Service, Department of Surgery, Orthopedics and Traumatology, Faculdade de Medicine de Ribeirão Preto, Ribeirao Preto, Brazil
Sao Paulo Med J 119:10-5. 2001
..Caustic substances cause tissue destruction through liquefaction or coagulation reactions and the intensity of destruction depends on the type, concentration, time of contact and amount of the substance ingested...
- A standardised protocol for the acute management of corrosive ingestion in children
Department of Pediatric Surgery, Sisli Etfal Education and Research Hospital, Pehlivanyani Sok 7 4, 34934 Mecidiyeköy, Istanbul, Turkey
Pediatr Surg Int 20:824-8. 2004
..Limiting oral intake and avoiding foreign bodies in the oesophagus seem to provide a good success rate; however, further prospective studies are needed to decrease the incidence of corrosive oesophageal strictures...
- Corrosive esophagitis in children
Yu Chih Huang
Department of Pediatrics, National Taiwan University Hospital, No 7 Chung Shan South Road, 100 Taipei, Taiwan
Pediatr Surg Int 20:207-10. 2004
..In conclusion, accidental ingestion of alkaline oil is the most common cause of corrosive esophagitis in Taiwan. The degree of burns correlated with stricture formation...
- Balloon dilatation in children for oesophageal strictures other than those due to primary repair of oesophageal atresia, interposition or restrictive fundoplication
Royal Children s Hospital, Melbourne, Australia
Pediatr Radiol 33:682-7. 2003
..Reports of the use of this technique for alternative causes of stricture are few...
- Use of a cutting balloon in the dilatation of caustic oesophageal stricture
A Graham Wilkinson
Department of Paediatric Radiology, Royal Hospital for Sick Children, Sciennes Road, Edinburgh EH9 1LF, UK
Pediatr Radiol 34:414-6. 2004
..This is believed to be the first report of the use of a cutting balloon to treat an oesophageal stricture...
- Soluble vascular endothelial growth factor receptor-1 contributes to the corneal antiangiogenic barrier
Balamurali K Ambati
Augusta Veterans Affairs Medical Center, One Freedon Way, Augusta, GA 30912, USA
Br J Ophthalmol 91:505-8. 2007
..This study aims to determine the expression profile and possible contribution of sVEGFR-1 to the corneal avascular barrier...
- Balloon catheter dilatation of benign esophageal strictures in children
Joshua L Weintraub
New York Presbyterian Hospital, Columbia University College of Physicians and Surgeons, 177 Fort Washington Ave MHB 4HN 100, New York, NY 10032, USA
J Vasc Interv Radiol 17:831-5. 2006
..This retrospective study evaluated the safety and efficacy of fluoroscopically guided balloon dilatation of benign pediatric esophageal strictures...
- Efficacy of topical phenol decontamination strategies on severity of acute phenol chemical burns and dermal absorption: in vitro and in vivo studies in pig skin
N A Monteiro-Riviere
Center for Chemical Toxicology Research and Pharmacokinetics, North Carolina State University, 4700 Hillsborough Street, Raleigh, North Carolina 27606, USA
Toxicol Ind Health 17:95-104. 2001
..The assessment of percutaneous absorption of phenol found the PEG 400, 70% IPA, and 15-min water treatments significantly (P < 0.05) reduced phenol absorption relative to no treatment...
- Transplantation of corneal stem cells cultured on amniotic membrane for corneal burn: experimental and clinical study
Beijing Institute of Ophthalmology, Tong Ren Hospital, Capital University of Medical Sciences, Beijing 100730, China
Chin Med J (Engl) 115:767-9. 2002
..To investigate the proliferation and differentiation of cultured corneal stem cells and determine the effect of corneal stem cells cultured on amniotic membranes on the limbal area for treating corneal burns...
- Ingestion of acid and alkaline agents: outcome and prognostic value of early upper endoscopy
Jan Werner Poley
Departments of Gastroenterology and Hepatology, Public Health, Surgery, Erasmus MC, University Medical Center Rotterdam, PO Box 2040, 3000 CA Rotterdam, The Netherlands
Gastrointest Endosc 60:372-7. 2004
..Ingestion of caustic substances often leads to severe morbidity and, frequently, death. This study compared complications and survival for patients who ingested an acidic substance, mainly glacial acetic acid, or an alkaline agent...
- [Surgical management of deep chemical burns of the eyelids]
Z Katedry i Kliniki Chirurgii Plastycznej Akademii Medycznej w Bydgoszczy
Klin Oczna 107:275-7. 2005
b>Chemical burns of the eyelids are common, and this may lead to ocular damage. A direct insult of the eyes that result in permanent damage, is rare in facial burns...
- Temporary amniotic membrane patching for acute chemical burns
Department of Ophthamology, Kanazawa University Graduate School of Medical Science, Ishikawa, Japan
Eye (Lond) 17:149-58. 2003
..To describe the surgical technique, and its usefulness, of temporary amniotic membrane patching (AMP) in the acute phase of ocular chemical injury...
- The TourniquAid: prevention of chemical burns
Department of Trauma and Orthopaedics, Worthing and Southlands Hospital, Lyndhurst Road, Worthing, West Sussex, BNII 2OH, UK
Injury 33:73-4. 2002
- Epidemiology of domestic chemical burns in Saudi Arabia
King Fahad National Guard Hospital and King Khalid University Hospital, King Saud University, P.O. Box 18097, 11415, Riyadh, Saudi Arabia
Burns 27:376-8. 2001
..The mean age was 25 years and the male to female ratio was 3:1. Alkali drain cleaners were the major cause of chemical burns in the series and this was seen in 75% of the total study population...
- Oesophageal strictures caused by the ingestion of corrosive agents: effectiveness of balloon dilatation in children
E Y Doo
Department of Radiology, Research Institute of Radiology, University of Ulsan College of Medicine, Asan Medical Center, Korea
Clin Radiol 64:265-71. 2009
..To evaluate the safety and clinical effectiveness of balloon dilatation in children for oesophageal strictures caused by the ingestion of corrosive agents...
- The use of a surgical glove in the prevention of tourniquet-associated chemical burns
P J Tomlinson
Department of Orthopaedic Surgery, Frenchay Hospital, Bristol, UK
Ann R Coll Surg Engl 90:255. 2008
- Absence of esophageal injury in pediatric patients after hair relaxer ingestion
Department of Otolaryngology, Children s Hospital of Michigan, Wayne State University, Detroit, USA
Arch Otolaryngol Head Neck Surg 125:953-5. 1999
..To review the initial signs, symptoms, and endoscopic findings in children admitted to the hospital for ingestion of caustic hair relaxer...
- Chemical burns: pathophysiology and treatment
Burn Centre, Department of Plastic Surgery and Burns, University Hospital Vall d Hebron, Universitat Autonoma de Barcelona, Passeig de la Vall d Hebron, Barcelona, Spain
Burns 36:295-304. 2010
b>Chemical burns continue to pose a variety of dilemmas to the clinician managing such cases. Assessment of burn depth is often difficult and the decision whether to excise the wound early is not always clear-cut...
- Is it necessary to resect the diseased esophagus in performing reconstruction for corrosive esophageal stricture?
Y T Kim
Department of Thoracic and Cardiovascular Surgery, Seoul National University Hospital, Cancer Research Institute, Seoul National University College of Medicine, Seoul, South Korea
Eur J Cardiothorac Surg 20:1-6. 2001
..The question of whether or not a resection of the diseased esophagus should be included in the surgical reconstruction procedure of the undilatable esophageal stricture continues to be a controversial...
- Ocular surface reconstruction using amniotic membrane allograft for severe surface disorders in chemical burns: case report and review of the literature
John H Fournier
Department of Ophthalmology, Northwestern University Medical School, Chicago, Illinois, USA
Int Surg 90:45-7. 2005
Ocular chemical burns are frustrating disorders. The conjunctival surface provides a defense mechanism protecting against infection, desiccation, and injury, being centered in the epithelial lining of the ocular surface...
- Long-term functional results of transhiatal oesophagectomy and colonic interposition for caustic oesophageal stricture
I E Bassiouny
Ain Shams University, Cairo, Egypt
Eur J Pediatr Surg 12:243-7. 2002
- Thoracoscopic esophagectomy in children
E K Cury
Hospital Israelita Albert Einstein and the Division of Pediatric Surgery, Department of Surgery, , , Brazil
J Pediatr Surg 36:E17. 2001
..Although very feasible, it should not be attempted without sufficient training and should be carried out only in specialized medical centers and by surgeons with adequate experience with open esophagectomy...
- Two-stage coloesophagoplasty in children with caustic burns of the esophagus: hemodynamic basis of delayed cervical anastomosis--theory and fact
Department of Pediatric Surgery, Ege University Faculty of Medicine, Izmir, Turkey
J Pediatr Surg 39:545-8. 2004
..This study was carried out to survey the outcome in patients with corrosive burns of the esophagus who had undergone 2-stage coloesophagoplasty procedures...
- Minimally invasive esophagectomy for caustic esophageal stricture in children
Benedict C Nwomeh
Children s Hospital of Pittsburgh, University of Pittsburgh, Pittsburgh, PA 15213, USA
J Pediatr Surg 39:e1-6. 2004
- Stepwise surgical approach for in vivo expansion of epithelial stem cells to treating severe acute chemical burns with total limbal deficiency
Gun Sic Park
Department of Ophthalmology, College of Medicine, Chung Ang University, Seoul, Korea
Korean J Ophthalmol 17:75-82. 2003
- Custom phototherapeutic keratectomy and autologous fibrin-cultured limbal stem cell autografting: a combined approach
J Refract Surg 24:323-4. 2008
- Therapeutic effect of topical administration of SN50, an inhibitor of nuclear factor-kappaB, in treatment of corneal alkali burns in mice
Department of Ophthalmology, Wakayama Medical University, 811 1 Kimiidera, Wakayama, 641 0012, Japan
Am J Pathol 166:1393-403. 2005
..An acceleration of epithelial cell proliferation by SN50 treatment was found to depend on TNF-alpha/JNK signaling. In conclusion, topical application of SN50 is effective in treating corneal alkali burns in mice...
- Trimetazidine reduces the degree of fibrosis in alkali burns of the esophagus
Department of Gastroenterology, Adnan Menderes University School of Medicine, 09100 Aydin, Turkey
J Pediatr Surg 40:505-9. 2005
..The aim of this study was to investigate the efficacy of trimetazidine (TMZ), an antioxidant agent, on the prevention of stricture development after esophageal caustic injuries in rat...
- Detection of corneal epithelial defect through amniotic membrane patch by fluorescein
Department of Ophthalmology, Kanazawa University Graduate School of Medical Science, Kanazawa, Japan
Cornea 24:359-60. 2005
..To demonstrate the usefulness of fluorescein dye to detect a corneal epithelial defect through an amniotic membrane patch in 4 cases...
- Histopathologic limbus evolution after alkaline burns
Jose Santiago López-García
Ophthalmology Service, Hospital Cruz Roja, Madrid, Spain
Cornea 26:1043-8. 2007
..To study the histopathologic evolution of the corneal limbus after alkaline burns according to the clinical severity and therapy used...
- Experimental study of an automated system for the delivery of eyedrops using a microinfusion pump
Ji Won Kwon
Department of Ophthalmology, Seoul National University College of Medicine, Chongno Gu, Korea
Am J Ophthalmol 139:547-9. 2005
..To determine the feasibility of using a commercially available microinfusion pump for the continuous delivery of eye drops using a rabbit model...
- A novel approach for preventing esophageal stricture formation: sphingosylphosphorylcholine-enhanced tissue remodeling
Department of Pediatric Surgery, Ankara University, School of Medicine, Gumus Cad D 14 4 Konutkent 1 06530, Ankara, Turkey
Pediatr Surg Int 20:778-82. 2004
..Furthermore, SPC is effective in preventing caustic esophageal strictures. These effects of SPC occur through its proliferative and specifically its remodeling effects on wound healing...
- Expression of fibronectin isoforms bearing the alternatively spliced EIIIA, EIIIB, and V segments in corneal alkali burn and keratectomy wound models in the rat
Hilles Immunology Laboratory, Department of Ophthalmology, Massachusetts Eye and Ear Infirmary, Harvard Medical School, Boston, MA 02114, USA
Cornea 23:812-8. 2004
- Flt-1 intraceptor induces the unfolded protein response, apoptotic factors, and regression of murine injury-induced corneal neovascularization
Department of Ophthalmology, Medical College of Georgia, 1120 15th Street, Atlanta, GA 30912, USA
Invest Ophthalmol Vis Sci 47:4787-93. 2006
- Temporary sutureless amniotic membrane patch for acute alkaline burns
Ocular Surface Center, 7000 SW 97th Ave, Ste 213, Miami, FL 33173, USA
Arch Ophthalmol 126:1059-66. 2008
..To evaluate the clinical outcome of a new sutureless approach for a temporary amniotic membrane patch (ProKera; Bio-Tissue, Inc, Miami, Florida) in eyes with acute burns...
- [An efficiency study of transplantation of allogenic fibroblasts cultivated in collagen gel for the treatment of corneal burn defects in experiment]
P V Makarov
Vestn Oftalmol 120:27-9. 2004
- Effect of different biomedical membranes on alkali-burned cornea
Li Qun Du
Department of Ophthalmology, Qilu Hospital, Shandong University, Jinan, China
Ophthalmic Res 40:282-90. 2008
..To evaluate the effects of different biomedical membranes on alkali-burned cornea in vivo...
- Changes of uPA and uPA-R expression in the cornea after alkali burn
Department of Cell Biology, Third Military Medical University, Chongqing 400038, PR China
Colloids Surf B Biointerfaces 37:49-52. 2004
..To investigate the expression levels of uPA and uPA-R in corneal repair after alkali burn...
- Mesenchymal stem cell transplantation in a rabbit corneal alkali burn model: engraftment and involvement in wound healing
Eye Center, 2nd Affiliated Hospital of Zhejiang University, College of Medicine, Hangzhou, Zhejiang, China
Eye (Lond) 20:482-90. 2006
..To investigate whether systemically transplanted mesenchymal stem cells (MSCs) can home and engraft in tissue to promote cornea wound healing after alkali burn, as a new source for treatment...
- Effect of overexpression of PPARgamma on the healing process of corneal alkali burn in mice
Dept of Ophthalmology, Wakayama Medical University, 811 1 Kimiidera, Wakayama, 641 0012, Japan
Am J Physiol Cell Physiol 293:C75-86. 2007
..Together, these data suggest that overexpression of PPARgamma may represent an effective new strategy for treatment of ocular surface burns...
- Amniotic membrane transplantation for the management of corneal epithelial defects: an in vivo confocal microscopic study
Department of Medicine and Ageing Science, Ophthalmology Clinic, University of Chieti Pescara, Italy
Br J Ophthalmol 92:54-60. 2008
..To evaluate amniotic membrane (AM) tissue morphology and corneal epithelial healing in human eyes after amniotic membrane transplantation (AMT), using laser scanning in vivo confocal microscopy (IVCM)...
- Role of caffeic acid phenethyl ester, an active component of propolis, against NAOH-induced esophageal burns in rats
Department of Health High School, Zonguldak Karaelmas University, Zonguldak, Turkey
Int J Pediatr Otorhinolaryngol 70:1731-9. 2006
- Expression of the focal adhesion protein PINCH in normal and alkali-injured corneas and the role of PMNs
Beatrice Bourghardt Peebo
Department of Ophthalmology, University Hospital, Linkoping, Sweden
Acta Ophthalmol Scand 85:395-400. 2007
..To evaluate the role of particularly interesting new cysteine-histidine-rich protein (PINCH) in corneal wound healing and early neovascularization and to assess the influence of granulocytes...
- The consequences of delayed intervention when treating chemical eye burns
Augenklinik Universitätsklinikum, Aachen, Pauwelsstrasse 30, 52074 Aachen, Germany
Graefes Arch Clin Exp Ophthalmol 245:1507-13. 2007
..Immediate rescue intervention for chemical and thermal eye burns can save the victim's sight. We studied the anterior chamber pH changes immediately after ex vivo eye burn to investigate the effects of immediate and delayed intervention...
- Nanoparticles sustain expression of Flt intraceptors in the cornea and inhibit injury-induced corneal angiogenesis
Pooja D Jani
Department of Ophthalmology, Medical College of Georgia, Augusta, Georgia 30912, USA
Invest Ophthalmol Vis Sci 48:2030-6. 2007
- L-arginine-threonine-arginine (RTR) tetramer peptide inhibits ulceration in the alkali-injured rabbit cornea
Roswell R Pfister
Eye Research Foundation, Inc, Eye Research Laboratories, Birmingham, AL, USA
Cornea 25:1187-92. 2006
..The purpose of this experiment is to determine the effectiveness of both tetramers, used separately, compared with control...
- Immunohistochemical observation of amniotic membrane patching on a corneal alkali burn in vivo
Department of Ophthalmology, Nippon Medical School, Tokyo, Japan
Jpn J Ophthalmol 51:3-9. 2007
..To investigate by immunohistochemical observation the effects of amniotic membrane (AM) patching on myofibroblastic differentiation and matrix metalloproteinase (MMP) expression in the corneal stroma after an alkali burn in vivo...
- Minimal conjunctival limbal autograft for total limbal stem cell deficiency
Ocular Surface Center, Miami, FL 33173, USA
Cornea 27:730-3. 2008
..To report the results of one 60 degrees conjunctival limbal autograft (CLAU) combined with amniotic membrane (AM) transplantation for an eye with total limbal stem cell deficiency (LSCD)...
- Accelerated wound healing of alkali-burned corneas in MRL mice is associated with a reduced inflammatory signature
Jackson Laboratory, Bar Harbor, ME 04609, USA
Invest Ophthalmol Vis Sci 46:4097-106. 2005
..The present study was conducted to investigate healing of alkali-burned corneas in MRL/MpJ (MRL) mice...
- Effects of time of contact and concentration of caustic agent on generation of injuries
Gustavo M Mattos
Ribeirão Preto Medical SchoolRibeirão Preto Medical School, University of Sao Paulo, Sao Paulo, Brazil
Laryngoscope 116:456-60. 2006
..We analyze the effects of concentration and time of contact on the aggressiveness of CS to the esophagus of live animals...
- [Mechanism of keratinocyte growth factor-2 accelerating corneal epithelial wound healing on rabbit alkali burned cornea]
Zhongshan Ophthalmic Center, Zhongshan University, Guangzhou 510060, China
Zhonghua Yan Ke Za Zhi 41:364-8. 2005
..To evaluate the curative effect of KGF-2 on the alkali-injured rabbit eye and to investigate the mechanism of KGF-2 accelerating corneal epithelial wound healing...
- Expression of basic fibroblast growth factor in rabbit corneal alkali wounds in the presence and absence of granulocytes
Department of Ophthalmology, University Hospital, Linkoping, Sweden
Acta Ophthalmol Scand 83:374-8. 2005
..To study the expression of basic fibroblast growth factor (bFGF) in the early phases of corneal wound healing in the presence or absence of granulocytes...
- Thymosin-beta4 modulates corneal matrix metalloproteinase levels and polymorphonuclear cell infiltration after alkali injury
Department of Ophthalmology, Kresge Eye Institute, Detroit, Michigan, 48201, USA
Invest Ophthalmol Vis Sci 46:2388-95. 2005
..The purpose of this study was to investigate the ability of thymosin-beta4 (Taubeta4) to promote healing in an alkali injury model and the mechanisms involved in that process...
- Effect of different irrigating solutions on aqueous humour pH changes, intraocular pressure and histological findings after induced alkali burns
University Eye Clinic, University Hospital Aachen, Aachen, Germany
Acta Ophthalmol Scand 83:467-70. 2005
..To evaluate the effects of hypo-osmolar tap water and isotonic saline solution on the intracameral pH, intraocular pressure and histological changes in alkali burned rabbit eyes...
- [Acute oral double intoxication with caustic substance--a case report]
Katedra i Klinika Chorob Wewnetrznych, Geriatrii i Toksykologii Klinicznej, Akademii Medycznej w Gdansku
Przegl Lek 64:334-5. 2007
..Late sequela (as esophagus stricture) after caustic ingestion may lead to extreme cachexia in spite of endoscopic and surgical treatment. Dual caustic ingestion obstructs the diagnostic and treatment and worsens patient's prognosis...
- The effectiveness of sucralfate against stricture formation in experimental corrosive esophageal burns
Z Gunyuz Temir
Department of Pediatric Surgery, Dr Behcet Uz Children s Hospital, 35210 IIzmir, Turkey
Surg Today 35:617-22. 2005
..In this study, the effectiveness of sucralfate against stricture formation in experimental corrosive esophageal burn is reported...
- The expression patterns of vascular endothelial growth factor and thrombospondin 2 after corneal alkali burn
State Key Laboratory of Trauma, Burns and Combined Injury, Research Institute for Traffic Medicine, Chongqing Key Laboratory of Vehicle Biological Crash Security, Third Military Medical University, Chongqing 400042, China
Colloids Surf B Biointerfaces 60:105-9. 2007
..Moreover, it might provide a novel method for controlling vascular hyperplasia in future clinical work according to the data of VEGF and TSP2...
- Role of amniotic membrane graft for ocular chemical and thermal injuries
Comprehensive Ophthalmology Services, L V Prasad Eye Institute, L V Prasad Marg, Banjara Hills, Hyderabad
Cornea 26:21-6. 2007
..To evaluate the results of amniotic membrane transplantation (AMT) for ocular surface reconstruction in chemical and thermal injuries...
- Efficacy of early systemic betamethasone or cyclosporin A after corneal alkali injury via inflammatory cytokine reduction
Department of Ophthalmology, Osaka Medical College, Takatsuki, Osaka, Japan
Acta Ophthalmol Scand 82:195-9. 2004
..To evaluate the effects of early systemic administration of betamethasone or cyclosporin A (CsA) on inflammatory cytokine expression and corneal damage after alkali injury...
- Thymosin beta 4 promotes corneal wound healing and decreases inflammation in vivo following alkali injury
Eye Care Services Department, Henry Ford Hospital, 2799 West Grand Boulevard K10, Detroit, MI 48202, U S A
Exp Eye Res 74:293-9. 2002
..Thus, Tbeta(4) may provide a new clinical treatment for severe traumatic corneal wound disorders by promoting rapid corneal wound healing and decreasing both PMN infiltration and inflammatory cytokine and chemokine mRNA levels...
- Donor source affects the outcome of ocular surface reconstruction in chemical or thermal burns of the cornea
Department of Ophthalmology, Tokyo Dental College, Chiba, Japan
Ophthalmology 111:38-44. 2004
..To study the association between surgical approach and postoperative results in chemical and thermal burns of the cornea...
- [Place of the transplantation of the amniotic membrane in the treatment of corneal diseases concomitant with corneal neovascularization]
I Ia Novitskiĭ
Vestn Oftalmol 119:9-12. 2003
- Galectin-7 as a potential mediator of corneal epithelial cell migration
New England Eye Center, Center for Vision Research and Department of Ophthalmology, Tufts University School of Medicine, Boston, MA 02111, USA
Arch Ophthalmol 121:82-6. 2003
..To assess the role of a carbohydrate-binding protein, galectin-7, in reepithelialization of corneal wounds...
- Optimal concentration of human epidermal growth factor (hEGF) for epithelial healing in experimental corneal alkali wounds
M J Kim
Department of Ophthalmology, Mokdong Hospital, Ewha Women's University, 911-1 Mokdong, Yangcheon-ku, 158-056, Seoul, Korea
Curr Eye Res 22:272-9. 2001
..The optimal concentration of hEGF for the stimulation of epithelial healing appears to be 5 microg/ml in rabbit corneal alkali wounds...
- [Necrolytic properties of alkaline protease in the treatment of severe eye burns]
R I Chalanova
Vestn Oftalmol 119:36-8. 2003
- Local suppression of IL-1 by receptor antagonist in the rat model of corneal alkali injury
Department of Ophthalmology, Kyoto Prefectural University of Medicine, 465 Kajiicho Hirokoji agaru Kawaramachi dori, Kamigyo ku, Kyoto 602 0841, Japan
Exp Eye Res 76:161-7. 2003
..We conclude that local antagonism of IL-1 after alkali injury can significantly decrease corneal inflammation and lead to enhanced corneal transparency...
- Altered KSPG expression by keratocytes following corneal injury
Eric C Carlson
Department of Ophthalmology, University of Cincinnati, Cincinnati, OH, USA
Mol Vis 9:615-23. 2003
- Autologous limbal grafting combined with deep lamellar keratoplasty in unilateral eye with severe chemical or thermal burn at late stage
Yu feng Yao
Department of Ophthalmology, Sir Run Run Shaw Hospital, Zhejiang University School of Medicine, Zhejiang, China
Ophthalmology 109:2011-7. 2002
..To evaluate the efficacy of autologous limbal transplantation (ALT) combined with deep lamellar keratoplasty (DLK) for ocular surface reconstruction and corneal clarity recovery in eyes with severe late-stage chemical or thermal burns...
- [Study of two immunosuppresive strategies after limbal allograft transplantation]
Hospital Donostia, Osakidetza Servicio Vasco de Salud, San Sebastian, Espana
Arch Soc Esp Oftalmol 78:29-34. 2003
..Comparison of two immunosuppressive strategies after limbal allograft transplantation in an experimental model of ocular surface chemical burn...
- [Transplantation of amniotic membrane for patients with bullous keratopathy and chemical and thermal burns]
Katedry i Kliniki Okulistycznej Akademii Medycznej im K Marcinkowskiego w Poznaniu
Klin Oczna 105:41-5. 2003
..may be considered as an alternative method for treating ocular surface reconstruction in patients with thermal and chemical burns. Authors suggest that this method of treatment is not efficient in patients with bullous keratopathy.
- The effect of halofuginone, a specific inhibitor of collagen type 1 synthesis, in the prevention of esophageal strictures related to caustic injury
Mehmet Faik Ozçelik
Department of General Surgery, Istanbul University, Cerrahpasa Medical Faculty, 34622 Istanbul, Turkey
Am J Surg 187:257-60. 2004
..To assess the effects of halofuginone, a specific inhibitor of synthesis of collagen type 1, which is the major constituent of fibrosis, on esophageal stricture formation due to caustic ingestion...
- Analysis of immediate changes of water-soluble metabolites in alkali-burned rabbit cornea, aqueous humor and lens by high-resolution 1H-NMR spectroscopy
Faculty of Physics, Informatics and Mathematics, Norwegian University of Science and Technology NTNU, Trondheim
Graefes Arch Clin Exp Ophthalmol 240:49-55. 2002
..To investigate immediate changes in water-soluble metabolites of ocular tissue in alkali-burned eyes by using high-resolution 1H-NMR spectroscopy...
- Comparison of emergency eye-wash products in burned porcine eyes
Department of Ophthalmology, RWTH Aachen, Pauwelsstrasse 30, 52057 Aachen, Germany
Graefes Arch Clin Exp Ophthalmol 240:308-13. 2002
..The long-term prognosis of patients with chemical eye burns depends on immediately rinsing the eye after the trauma. The chemical properties and tolerance of currently used rinsing solutions were examined...
- Factors affecting outcome following transplantation of ex vivo expanded limbal epithelium on amniotic membrane for total limbal deficiency in rabbits
Seng Ei Ti
Department of Ophthalmology, Bascom Palmer Eye Institute, University of Miami School of Medicine, Miami, Florida, USA
Invest Ophthalmol Vis Sci 43:2584-92. 2002
- Controlled trial of hyperbaric oxygen treatment for alkali corneal burn in the rabbit
Lawrence W Hirst
Division of Ophthalmology, Department of Surgery, University of Queensland, Princess Alexandra Hospital, Brisbane, Queensland, Australia
Clin Experiment Ophthalmol 32:67-70. 2004
..To evaluate the efficacy of hyperbaric oxygen therapy in the treatment of alkali-induced corneal burns in an animal model...
- Scald burns in young children--a review of Arizona burn center pediatric patients and a proposal for prevention in the Hispanic community
Ruth B Rimmer
Arizona Burn Center, Maricopa Medical Center, Phoenix, Arizona, USA
J Burn Care Res 29:595-605. 2008
..aged 0 to 5 were for burns caused by fire or flame 15%, contact with a hot object 13%, friction burns 7%, chemical burns 3%, and electrical burns 3%...
- Modern concepts of treatment and prevention of chemical injuries
Richard F Edlich
Distinguished Professor Emeritus of Plastic Surgery and Biomedical Engineering, University of Virginia Health System, Charlottesville, Virginia, USA
J Long Term Eff Med Implants 15:303-18. 2005
..Other specific agents that cause chemical burns include white phosphorus, elemental metals, nitrates, hydrocarbons, and tar...
- Epidemiology of burn injuries in Singapore from 1997 to 2003
Department of Plastic Burns Surgery, Singapore General Hospital, Outram Road, Singapore S169608, Singapore
Burns 31:S18-26. 2005
..5% due to an improvement in fire prevention and management of the industrial sectors. However, chemical burns increased by 12.6% as the chemical sector in Singapore grew at a rate of 10% from year 1995 to 2000...
- Burns caused by dilute hydrofluoric acid in the bleach
Department of Dermatology, Nippon Medical School, Tama Nagayama Hospital, 1 7 1 Nagayama, Tama shi, Tokyo 206 8512, Japan
J Nippon Med Sch 69:180-4. 2002
..patients in the emergency ward overlooked the possibility of hydrofluoric acid burns, although they suspected chemical burns and confirmed the trade name of the cleaning agent...
- Caustic burns of rectum and colon in emergencies
Department of Digestive Surgery 0B, University Hospital of Fort de France, BP 632 97261 Fort de France Cedex, Martinique, France
Am J Surg 187:785-9. 2004
Because of their rarity, chemical burns of rectum and colon have been poorly studied. This clinical report studies the epidemiologic, diagnostic, and therapeutic features of rectal and colonic burns after enema with caustics.
- Towards a synthetic osteo-odonto-keratoprosthesis
Aston Biomaterials Research Unit, School of Engineering and Applied Science, Aston University, Birmingham B4 7ET, UK
Acta Biomater 5:438-52. 2009
..of withstanding the very hostile ocular environments found in severe Stevens-Johnson syndrome, pemphigoid, chemical burns, trachoma and multiple corneal graft failure...
- Profile of cytokines in aqueous humor from corneal graft recipients
Lions Croatian Eye Bank, Department of Ophthalmology, Holy Ghost General Hospital, Zagreb, Croatia
Croat Med J 42:650-6. 2001
..The aim of this study was to determine cytokine profile in aqueous humor of patients undergoing corneal transplantation, and to establish whether cytokine profile at the time of surgery influenced corneal graft outcome...
- [Chemical burns to the eye]
Avdeling for øyesykdommer, Institutt for nevromedisin, Norges Teknisk Naturvitenskapelige Universitet, 7489 Trondheim
Tidsskr Nor Laegeforen 124:49-51. 2004
..This study reviews the frequency, cause, and results of treatment of all cases of chemical eye injuries in patients presenting in the section for ophthalmology at St. Olav University Hospital over a three-year period...
- A case report of a chemical burn due to the misuse of glacial acetic acid
Jun Ho Yoo
Department of Plastic and Reconstructive Surgery, Chonbuk National University Hospital, 634 18, Keumam Dong, Dukjin Gu, Jeonju, Chonbuk 561 712, South Korea
J Plast Reconstr Aesthet Surg 63:e829-31. 2010
..A 28-year-old female patient was admitted to our hospital with deep second-degree chemical burns on her face caused by the application of a mixture of glacial acetic acid and flour for chemical peeling...
- The management of white phosphorus burns
T D Chou
Division of Plastic Surgery, Tri Service General Hospital, 3F, 38 10, Sec 3 Ting Chow Road, National Defense Medical Center, 100, Taipei, Taiwan, ROC
Burns 27:492-7. 2001
..Amongst our 2765 admissions between 1984 and 1998, 326 patients had chemical burns. Seven admissions were the result of phosphorus burns...
- [Burns from undisclosed acids in a liquid used by temporary workers. A recent problem in occupational medicine caused by a lack of information]
Klinik und Poliklinik für Hautkrankheiten, Martin Luther Universitat Halle Wittenberg
Dtsch Med Wochenschr 123:151-4. 1998
..During the work, at first limited to 5-10 minutes, they sustained chemical burns from the hydrofluoric and hydrochloric acids contained in the liquid used to clean the stone...
- Protective role for CD1d-reactive invariant natural killer T cells in cauterization-induced corneal inflammation
Department of Ophthalmology, Graduate School of Medical Science, Kyushu University, 3 1 1 Maidashi, Higashi ku, Fukuoka, Japan
Invest Ophthalmol Vis Sci 49:105-12. 2008
Corneal inflammation can be induced by various stimuli, such as chemical burns, trauma, and acute bacterial infection, and directly impairs visual acuity...