- Complications following internal fixation of unstable distal radius fracture with a palmar locking-plate
Department of Trauma Surgery and Sports Medicine, Medical University Innsbruck, Innsbruck, Austria
J Orthop Trauma 21:316-22. 2007
The increasing number of fixed-angle plate systems used to treat distal radius fractures carries with it the problem of determining the optimal fixation for unstable fractures...
- External fixation versus internal fixation for unstable distal radius fractures: a systematic review and meta-analysis of comparative clinical trials
David H Wei
Columbia University Medical Center, Department of Orthopaedic Surgery, The Trauma Training Center, New York, NY 10032, USA
J Orthop Trauma 26:386-94. 2012
There is no consensus on the surgical management of unstable distal radius fractures. In this systematic review and meta-analysis, we pool data from trials comparing external fixation and open reduction and internal fixation (ORIF) for ..
- Flexor tendon injuries following locked volar plating of distal radius fractures
Andrew W Cross
Allegheny Hand Center, Allegheny General Hospital, Pittsburgh, PA 15212, USA
J Hand Surg Am 33:164-7. 2008
..We suggest close follow-up of all fractures in which the distal end of the plate is anterior to the radial rim and removal of hardware if symptoms suggest tendon irritation...
- Significant change in the surgical treatment of distal radius fractures: a nationwide study between 1998 and 2008 in Finland
Ville M Mattila
Division of Orthopaedics and Traumatology, Department of Trauma, Musculoskeletal Surgery and Rehabilitation, Tampere University Hospital, and Medical School, University of Tampere, Tampere, Finland
J Trauma 71:939-42; discussion 942-3. 2011
Studies from the United States report a large increase in the surgical treatment of distal radius fractures with open reduction and internal fixation using locked plates...
- Treatment of unstable distal radius fractures with the volar locking plate
Department of Orthopedic Surgery, Tohoku Kosai Hospital, Sendai, Japan
Ups J Med Sci 116:280-4. 2011
Open reduction and internal fixation using an interlocking plate system has gained popularity for the treatment of dorsally displaced distal radius fractures.
- Peripheral tears of the triangular fibrocartilage complex cause distal radioulnar joint instability after distal radial fractures
Hand Unit, Department of Orthopedics, Lund University Hospital, Sweden
J Hand Surg Am 25:464-8. 2000
..Instability was not associated with any radiographic finding either at the time of fracture or at the follow-up examination. Initial fracture or nonunion of the styloid was even slightly more common in stable patients...
- Wrist function recovers more rapidly after volar locked plating than after external fixation but the outcomes are similar after 1 year
Maria K T Wilcke
Division of Orthopaedics, Karolinska Institutet, Department of Clinical Sciences, Danderyd Hospital, Stockholm, Sweden
Acta Orthop 82:76-81. 2011
Promising results have been reported after volar locked plating of unstable dorsally displaced distal radius fractures. We investigated whether volar locked plating results in better patient-perceived, objective functional and ..
- Relationship between distal radius fracture malunion and arm-related disability: a prospective population-based cohort study with 1-year follow-up
Department of Clinical Sciences, Malmö Hand Surgery, Lund University, Malmo University Hospital, Malmo, Sweden
BMC Musculoskelet Disord 12:9. 2011
..Distal radius fracture is a common injury and may result in substantial dysfunction and pain. The purpose was to investigate the relationship between distal radius fracture malunion and arm-related disability...
- A prospective randomized trial comparing nonoperative treatment with volar locking plate fixation for displaced and unstable distal radial fractures in patients sixty-five years of age and older
Department of Trauma Surgery and Sports Medicine, Medical University Innsbruck MUI, Anichstrasse 35, Innsbruck, Austria
J Bone Joint Surg Am 93:2146-53. 2011
- Radiographic evaluation of osseous displacement following intra-articular fractures of the distal radius: reliability of plain radiography versus computed tomography
R J Cole
Orthopaedic Clinic, Memphis, TN, USA
J Hand Surg Am 22:792-800. 1997
..The plain radiographs and CT scans of 19 acute intra-articular distal radius fractures were used by 5 independent observers, using 2 standardized techniques, to quantify incongruity of the ..
- Indirect reduction and percutaneous fixation versus open reduction and internal fixation for displaced intra-articular fractures of the distal radius: a randomised, controlled trial
H J Kreder
Division of Orthopaedics, University of Toronto, Ontario M4N 3M5, Canada
J Bone Joint Surg Br 87:829-36. 2005
- Is distal forearm fracture in men due to osteoporosis?
S P Tuck
Derbyshire Royal Infirmary, Derby, UK
Osteoporos Int 13:630-6. 2002
..5 SD below the mean for young men) compared with only 10.3% of controls. This study is the first to demonstrate that men with distal forearm fractures have lower bone mineral density than their peers and a higher risk of osteoporosis...
- Incidence and characteristics of distal radius fractures in a southern Swedish region
Department of Orthopedics Hässleholm Kristianstad, Hassleholm Hospital, Hassleholm, Sweden
BMC Musculoskelet Disord 8:48. 2007
..The aim of this population-based study was to estimate the overall and type-specific incidence rates of distal radius fracture in a representative population in southern Sweden...
- A revolution in the management of fractures of the distal radius?
N D Downing
Nottingham University Hospitals NHS Trust, Queen s Medical Centre Campus, Nottingham NG7 2UH, UK
J Bone Joint Surg Br 90:1271-5. 2008
..The available evidence for adopting volar locking plates is presented and a number of important and, as yet unanswered, questions are highlighted...
- Osteosynthesis of distal radial fractures with a volar locking screw plate system
Department of Trauma Surgery, Neunkirchen General Hospital, Peischingerstrasse 19, 2620 Neunkirchen, Austria
Int Orthop 27:1-6. 2003
..The most frequent complication was rupture of the flexor pollicis longus tendon, which occurred in six cases (12%) at a mean of 10 months after operation...
- Volar plate fixation of distal radius fractures
Miami Hand Center, 8905 Southwest 87 Avenue, Suite 100, Miami, FL 33176, USA
Hand Clin 21:347-54. 2005
..as the beginning of a new era in restoring wrist function to patients with dorsally displaced distal radius fractures even in the face of comminuted or osteopenic bone...
- A randomized prospective study on the treatment of intra-articular distal radius fractures: open reduction and internal fixation with dorsal plating versus mini open reduction, percutaneous fixation, and external fixation
Department of Orthopedics, University of British Columbia, Vancouver, British Columbia, Canada
J Hand Surg Am 30:764-72. 2005
- Number and locations of screw fixation for volar fixed-angle plating of distal radius fractures: biomechanical study
Department of Trauma and Orthopedic Surgery, University Medical Center of the Johannes Gutenberg University of Mainz, Mainz, Germany
J Hand Surg Am 35:885-91. 2010
..To compare the biomechanical properties of different numbers and locations of screws in a multidirectional volar fixed-angle plate in a distal radius osteotomy cadaver model...
- Radial neck fractures in children treated with the centromedullary Métaizeau technique
Department of Orthopedics, Odense University Hospital, Soender Boulevard 29, DK 5000 Odense C, Denmark
Injury 43:301-5. 2012
..Different methods have been developed for the reduction and fixation of this fracture. The purpose of this retrospective study is to evaluate our results using the Métaizeau centromedullary technique...
- The effects of pronator quadratus repair on outcomes after volar plating of distal radius fractures
Stuart H Hershman
Department of Orthopaedic Surgery, New York University Hospital for Joint Diseases, New York, NY 10003, USA
J Orthop Trauma 27:130-3. 2013
The purpose of this study was to evaluate forearm rotation after volar plating of the distal radius fractures with and without pronator quadratus repair.
- Stability of volar locking plate systems for AO type C3 fractures of the distal radius: biomechanical study in a cadaveric model
Department of Orthopaedic Surgery, Dokkyo Medical University School of Medicine, Shimotsuga gun, Tochigi, Japan
J Orthop Sci 15:357-64. 2010
- Treatment of distal radius fractures
David M Lichtman
Department of Orthopaedics Surgery, University of North Texas Health Science Center, John Peter Smith Hospital, Fort Worth, TX, USA
J Am Acad Orthop Surg 18:180-9. 2010
..The clinical practice guideline is based on a systematic review of published studies on the treatment of distal radius fractures in adults...
- Evaluation of severely displaced radial neck fractures in children treated with elastic stable intramedullary nailing
Department of Traumatology, University Medical Center Mainz, Mainz, Germany
J Pediatr Orthop 29:698-703. 2009
..We performed a retrospective case study of 28 consecutive severely displaced radial neck fractures (Judet types III and IV) in children treated with elastic stable intramedullary nailing using the Metaizeau technique...
- Complete dislocation of the radial head following fracture of the radial neck in children: the Jeffery type II lesion
Department of Paediatrics Orthopaedics, Debrousse Hospital, Lyon, France
J Pediatr Orthop B 13:268-74. 2004
..Knowledge of this particular fracture will allow an early diagnosis and an immediate surgical treatment...
- Influence of screw diameter and number on reduction loss after plating of distal radius fractures
Department of Orthopaedic Surgery, Mackay Base Hospital, Mackay, Queensland, Australia
ANZ J Surg 81:46-51. 2011
..options for plate-screw combinations in volar locking distal radius plates used for the treatment of distal radius fractures are either plates with a single distal screw row or plates with multiple distal screw rows...
- Radial neck fracture nonunion in children
P M Waters
Department of Orthopaedic Surgery, Children s Hospital, Boston, Massachusetts 02115, USA
J Pediatr Orthop 21:570-6. 2001
..Severity of initial fracture displacement and inadequate fixation technique contributed to radial neck nonunion. Treatment of the nonunion should depend on the patient's pain, deformity, and functional restriction...
- Reduction and fixation of radius neck fractures in children with intramedullary pin
Department of Orthopedics and Traumatology, Goztepe Research and Training Hospital, Istanbul, Turkey
J Pediatr Orthop B 19:289-93. 2010
- Prospective evaluation of pronator quadratus repair following volar plate fixation of distal radius fractures
Department of Orthopaedic Surgery and Sports Medicine, Temple University School of Medicine, Philadelphia, PA 19140, USA
J Hand Surg Am 38:1678-84. 2013
To evaluate the efficacy of pronator quadratus (PQ) repair after volar plating of distal radius fractures.
- Early active rehabilitation for operatively stabilized distal radius fractures
Dean W Smith
The Houston Hand and Upper Extremity Center, Houston, Texas 77004, USA
J Hand Ther 17:43-9. 2004
From the young to the elderly, distal radius fractures are very common...
- Surgical treatment of radial neck fractures in children by intramedullary pinning
Hopital des Enfants, Toulouse, France
Acta Orthop Belg 72:131-7. 2006
..Complications noted were anterior epiphysiodesis in one case and avascular necrosis of the radial head in another. Heterotopic ossification, neurovascular deficit or deep infection were noted in no instance...
- Treatment of reducible unstable fractures of the distal radius in adults: a randomised controlled trial of De Palma percutaneous pinning versus bridging external fixation
João C Belloti
Departamento de Ortopedia e Traumatologia, Universidade Federal de Sao Paulo Escola Paulista de Medicina, São Paulo 04038 032, Brazil
BMC Musculoskelet Disord 11:137. 2010
..This study compared the effectiveness of two methods used in surgical treatment of such fractures: percutaneous pinning and external fixation...
- Delayed rupture of flexor pollicis longus tendon after volar plating of the distal radius
Siu Cheong Koo
Department of Orthopaedic and Traumatology, Caritus Medical Centre, Kowloon, Hong Kong S A R, China
Hand Surg 11:67-70. 2006
..Flexor tendon rupture following distal radius fracture is rare. We described a case of flexor pollicis longus rupture, presented five years after volar plating of distal radius fracture...
- Unstable distal radius fractures in the elderly patient--volar fixed-angle plate osteosynthesis prevents secondary loss of reduction
Lorenz Boehler Trauma Center, Donaueschingenstrasse 13, A 1200 Vienna, Austria
J Trauma 68:992-8. 2010
..The focus of our interest was whether a secondary loss of reduction can be prevented by this plating system in the elderly patient...
- Does an ulnar styloid fracture interfere with the results of a distal radius fracture?
J C Belloti
Department of Orthopaedics and Traumatology, Federal University of Sao Paulo, Escola Paulista de Medicina, Rua Borges Lagoa 783 5 degrees Andar, 04038 031, Sao Paulo, SP, Brazil
J Orthop Sci 15:216-22. 2010
..distal radius is not clear, especially in regard to whether ulnar fractures predict worse outcomes for distal radius fractures. The objective of this study was to analyze the influence of ulnar styloid fractures in patients with ..
- Rupture of flexor tendon following volar plate of distal radius fracture. Report of five cases
S E Valbuena
Department of Orthopaedic Surgery and Traumatology, Hospital Interzonal El Cruce, Alta complejidad en red, Buenos Aires, Argentina
Chir Main 29:109-13. 2010
..We review the literature and discuss the aetiology of tendon ruptures and techniques to prevent tendon attition...
- Treatment decision, method of osteosynthesis, and outcome in radial neck fractures in children: a multicenter study
Peter P Schmittenbecher
Department of Pediatric Surgery, St Hedwig s Hospital, Clinical Center Barmherzige Brüder, Regensburg, Germany
J Pediatr Orthop 25:45-50. 2005
..ESIN has found wide acceptance, and the results are satisfactory. Restricted use of open interventions may be the key to improving results...
- Dorsal and volar 2.4-mm titanium locking plate fixation for AO type C3 dorsally comminuted distal radius fractures
Ying Chao Chou
Department of Orthopedics, Chang Gung Memorial Hospital, Chang Gung University, Taoyuan, Taiwan
J Hand Surg Am 36:974-81. 2011
In this retrospective, nonrandomized, single-surgeon study, we evaluated the clinical outcomes of dorsal and volar locking plate fixation for AO type C3 dorsally comminuted distal radius fractures.
- The epidemiology of distal radius fractures
Kate W Nellans
Section of Plastic Surgery, University of Michigan Health System, Ann Arbor, MI 48109, USA
Hand Clin 28:113-25. 2012
Distal radius fractures are one of the most common types of fractures...
- Volar versus dorsal locking plates with and without radial styloid locking plates for the fixation of dorsally comminuted distal radius fractures: A biomechanical study in cadavers
Fremantle Orthopaedic Unit, University of Western Australia, Fremantle, Western Australia, Australia
J Hand Surg Am 31:1587-93. 2006
..To compare the stability and stiffness of dorsal and volar fixed-angle distal radius constructs in a cadaveric model...
- Predicting the outcome of distal radius fractures
David J Slutsky
Private Practice, 3475 Torrance Blvd, Suite F, Torrance, CA 90503, USA
Hand Clin 21:289-94. 2005
..Possessing a knowledge of the predictive factors that affect adversely the functional outcome, however, does allow the surgeon to manage complications proactively to maximize the potential for an acceptable end result...
- Assessment of pronator quadratus repair integrity following volar plate fixation for distal radius fractures: a prospective clinical cohort study
Carrie R Swigart
Department of Orthopaedics and Rehabilitation, Yale School of Medicine, New Haven, CT 06520 8071, USA
J Hand Surg Am 37:1868-73. 2012
..prospectively the integrity of pronator quadratus (PQ) muscle repair following volar plate fixation of distal radius fractures and to compare the clinical and radiographic outcomes of durable versus failed repairs in 24 subjects...
- Delayed rupture of the flexor pollicis longus tendon after routine volar placement of a T-plate on the distal radius
Scott F M Duncan
Mayo Clinic Hospital, Scottsdale, AZ 85054, USA
Am J Orthop (Belle Mead NJ) 36:669-70. 2007
- Distal radius fractures: current concepts
Department of Orthopaedic Surgery, University of Pittsburgh Medical Center, Pittsburgh, PA, USA
J Hand Surg Am 37:1718-25. 2012
Despite the frequency of distal radius fractures, the optimal treatment remains without consensus opinion...
- Minimally invasive plate osteosynthesis of distal radius fractures using a pronator sparing approach
Milan K Sen
Department of Orthopaedics, University of California, San Francisco, CA, USA
Tech Hand Up Extrem Surg 12:2-6. 2008
..This article discusses a single surgeon's technique for insertion of volar locking plates through minimal incisions with sparing of the soft tissues...
- UK DRAFFT - a randomised controlled trial of percutaneous fixation with kirschner wires versus volar locking-plate fixation in the treatment of adult patients with a dorsally displaced fracture of the distal radius
Matthew L Costa
Division of Health Sciences, Warwick Medical School, The University of Warwick, Coventry, CV2 2DX, UK
BMC Musculoskelet Disord 12:201. 2011
- Volar plate fixation for the treatment of distal radius fractures: analysis of adverse events
Orthopaedics and Traumatology Department, Policlinico di Modena, University of Modena and Reggio Emilia, Modena, Italy and Hand and Microsurgery Department, Policlinico GB Rossi, Azienda Ospedaliera Universitaria Verona, Verona, Italy
J Orthop Trauma 27:740-5. 2013
Determining the rate of specific adverse events after volar plating performed for distal radius fractures.
- The epidemiology of low- and high-energy distal radius fracture in middle-aged and elderly men and women in Southern Norway
Andreas P Diamantopoulos
Department of Rheumatology, Hospital of Southern Norway, Kristiansand, Norway
PLoS ONE 7:e43367. 2012
- Complications of low-profile dorsal versus volar locking plates in the distal radius: a comparative study
Yangyang R Yu
Beth Israel Deaconess Medical Center and the Harvard Medical School, Boston, MA 02215, USA
J Hand Surg Am 36:1135-41. 2011
Dorsal plating of distal radius fractures with traditional 2.5-mm-thick plates is associated with extensor tendon complications. Consequently, volar locking plates have gained widespread acceptance. A new generation of 1.2- to 1...
- Radial neck fractures in children
Bryan Hsi Ming Tan
Department of Orthopaedic Surgery, National University Health System, Singapore
J Orthop Surg (Hong Kong) 19:209-12. 2011
..To review records of 108 children with radial neck fractures and develop an algorithm for treatment...
- What are the radiological predictors of functional outcome following fractures of the distal radius?
C Y Ng
Edinburgh Orthopaedic Trauma Unit, Royal Infirmary of Edinburgh, Edinburgh, United Kingdom
J Bone Joint Surg Br 93:145-50. 2011
..The ultimate aim of treatment is a pain-free, mobile wrist joint without functional limitation...
- Distal radius instability and stiffness: common complications of distal radius fractures
William B Kleinman
The Indiana Hand to Shoulder Center, 8501 Harcourt Road, Indianapolis, IN 46260, USA
Hand Clin 26:245-64. 2010
..This article also points out how stiffness of forearm rotation can result from a well-treated distal radius fracture and how this complication can be treated to restore healthy upper limb function...
- Intraarticular lesions in distal fractures of the radius in young adults. A descriptive arthroscopic study in 50 patients
Department of Orthopaedic Surgery, Lund University Hospital, Sweden
J Hand Surg Br 22:638-43. 1997
..The ligament lesions should also be kept in mind when early mobilization of the distal fracture of the radius is considered...
- Open reduction internal fixation versus percutaneous pinning with external fixation of distal radius fractures: a prospective, randomized clinical trial
Division of Orthopedic Surgery, University of Western Ontario, Hand and Upper Limb Center, St Joseph s Health Care, London, Ontario, Canada
J Hand Surg Am 36:1899-906. 2011
..this randomized clinical trial was to investigate the functional outcomes of the surgical treatment of distal radius fractures, comparing treatment by external fixation and percutaneous pinning to open reduction and internal fixation (..
- The effect of fracture-related factors on the functional outcome at 1 year in distal radius fractures
Department of Orthopaedics, Maulana Azad Medical College and Associated Lok Nayak Hospital, New Delhi, India
Injury 33:499-502. 2002
..The relative movement of the lunate with respect to the distal radial articular surface, when defined as an effective radio lunate flexion of more than 25 degrees, was also associated with poor functional results...
- Clinical and radiological outcomes after stabilisation of complex intra-articular fractures of the distal radius with the volar 2.4 mm LCP
Department of Orthopaedic and Trauma Surgery, Medical Center, Albert Ludwigs University Freiburg, Freiburg, Germany
Arch Orthop Trauma Surg 130:751-7. 2010
..The purpose of the present study is to evaluate the results of the treatment of intra-articular fractures with the volar 2.4 mm LCP with regard to loss of reduction, clinical outcome and complications...
- Distal radius fractures: mechanisms of injury and strength prediction by bone mineral assessment
Osteoporosis and Arthritis Research Group, Department of Radiology, University of California, San Francisco, USA
J Orthop Res 16:629-35. 1998
..Cortical bone, therefore, contributes significantly to the strength of the distal radius and may play an important role in the prediction of osteoporotic wrist fractures...
- Volar fixed-angle plate fixation for unstable distal radius fractures in the elderly patient
Jorge L Orbay
Miami Hand Center, 8905 SW 87 Avenue, Suite 100, Miami, FL 33176, USA
J Hand Surg Am 29:96-102. 2004
Increased incidence of falls and osteoporosis combine to make distal radius fractures a major cause of morbidity for the elderly patient...
- Plating for distal radius fractures
Paul A Martineau
University of Washington, Seattle, WA 98195, USA
Orthop Clin North Am 38:193-201, vi. 2007
..This article outlines some of these options with a literature opinion and a clarification from the authors. A treatment plan for common fractures of the distal radius is also outlined...
- Predictors of wrist function and health status after operative treatment of fractures of the distal radius
John Sebastiaan Souer
Hand and Upper Extremity Service, Massachusetts General Hospital, Boston, MA 02114, USA
J Hand Surg Am 33:157-163. 2008
- Cast immobilization versus percutaneous pin fixation of displaced distal radius fractures in children: a prospective, randomized study
Bruce S Miller
Children s Hospital, Boston, Massachusetts, USA
J Pediatr Orthop 25:490-4. 2005
..Cost analysis showed no significant difference in treatment charges between groups. Treating surgeons should be aware of the potential short-term complications of each treatment method and adjust their postoperative care appropriately...
- Distal radius fractures in children: substantial difference in stability between buckle and greenstick fractures
Per Henrik Randsborg
Department of Orthopedic Surgery, Akershus University Hospital, Norway
Acta Orthop 80:585-9. 2009
..The stability of greenstick and buckle fractures of the distal radius was assessed by comparing the lateral angulation radiographically...
- The treatment of unstable distal radius fractures with volar fixation
J L Orbay
Miami Hand Center, Miami, FL 33176, USA
Hand Surg 5:103-12. 2000
Stable internal fixation and early motion has not been routinely available for distal radius fractures. Difficulties with the dorsal approach discourage surgeons from internally fixing the most common fracture types...
- Effects of distal radius fracture malunion on wrist joint mechanics
D J Pogue
Division of Orthopedic Surgery, University of Texas Medical Branch, Galveston 77551
J Hand Surg Am 15:721-7. 1990
..Decreasing the radial inclination shifted the load distribution so that there was more load in the lunate fossa and less load in the scaphoid fossa...
- Prophylactic carpal tunnel decompression during buttress plating of the distal radius--is it justified?
Department of Orthopaedics and Trauma, Southend General Hospital, Essex SS0 0RY, Southend, UK
Injury 32:577-9. 2001
..We conclude that prophylactic median nerve decompression does not alter the course of median nerve dysfunction and may increase post-operative morbidity...
- Functional outcomes for unstable distal radial fractures treated with open reduction and internal fixation or closed reduction and percutaneous fixation. A prospective randomized trial
Tamara D Rozental
Department of Orthopaedic Surgery, Beth Israel Deaconess Medical Center, 330 Brookline Avenue, Stoneman 10, Boston, MA 02215, USA
J Bone Joint Surg Am 91:1837-46. 2009
- Open reduction and internal fixation compared to closed reduction and external fixation in distal radial fractures: a randomized study of 50 patients
Hand Unit, Department of Orthopedics, Clinical Sciences, Lund University, Sweden
Acta Orthop 80:478-85. 2009
..The type of operation and the choice of implant, however, is a matter of discussion. Our aim was to investigate whether open reduction and internal fixation would produce a better result than traditional external fixation...
- Distal radius fractures in older women: a 10-year follow-up study of descriptive characteristics and risk factors. The study of osteoporotic fractures
Molly T Vogt
Department of Orthopedic Surgery, University of Pittsburgh Medical Center, Pittsburgh, Pennsylvania 15213, USA
J Am Geriatr Soc 50:97-103. 2002
To determine the incidence of distal radius fractures and the characteristics of those fractures and to identify the key risk factors.
- Management of distal radial fractures
Neal C Chen
Yawkey Center, Massachusetts General Hospital, 55 Fruit Street, Boston, MA 02114, USA
J Bone Joint Surg Am 89:2051-62. 2007
- Fracture of the distal radius: risk factors for complications after locked volar plate fixation
Department of Orthopaedic Surgery, Lahey Clinic, Burlington, MA, USA
J Hand Surg Am 36:3-9. 2011
To identify risk factors for complications after volar locking plate fixation of distal radius fractures.
- Operative management of distal radial fractures with 2.4-millimeter locking plates. A multicenter prospective case series
Jesse B Jupiter
Massachusetts General Hospital, Harvard Medical School, 2100 Yawkey Building, 55 Fruit Street, Boston, MA 02114, USA
J Bone Joint Surg Am 91:55-65. 2009
..A multicenter prospective study of a case series was conducted to determine the efficacy of the operative management of distal radial fractures stabilized with 2.4-mm locking plates...
- Responsiveness of the short form-36, disability of the arm, shoulder, and hand questionnaire, patient-rated wrist evaluation, and physical impairment measurements in evaluating recovery after a distal radius fracture
J C MacDermid
Hand and Upper Limb Centre, St Joseph s Health Centre, London, Ontario, Canada
J Hand Surg Am 25:330-40. 2000
..Of the physical tests, grip strength was most responsive, followed by range of motion. Responsive patient-rating scales and physical performance evaluations can assist with outcome evaluation of patients with distal radius fracture...
- X-ray film measurements for healed distal radius fractures
H J Kreder
Department of Orthopaedics, Harborview Medical Center, Seattle, WA 98104, USA
J Hand Surg Am 21:31-9. 1996
..By this method, six x-ray films of healed distal radius fractures were subsequently measured by 16 raters...
- Fractures of the distal part of the radius. The evolution of practice over time. Where's the evidence?
Kenneth J Koval
Department of Orthopaedics, Dartmouth Hitchcock Medical Center, 1 Medical Center Drive, Lebanon, NH 03756, USA
J Bone Joint Surg Am 90:1855-61. 2008
..The present study was designed to identify changes in practice patterns regarding operative fixation of distal radial fractures between 1999 and 2007 and to assess the results of those treatments over time...
- Current concepts in volar fixed-angle fixation of unstable distal radius fractures
Jorge L Orbay
Miami Hand Center, Miami, Florida 33176, USA
Clin Orthop Relat Res 445:58-67. 2006
We present new developments in the volar treatment of unstable distal radius fractures in adults...
- Functional outcome and complications after volar plating for dorsally displaced, unstable fractures of the distal radius
Tamara D Rozental
Division of Hand Surgery, Department of Orhopedic Surgery, Beth Israel Deaconess Medical Center and Brigham and Women s Hospital, Harvard Medical School, Boston, MA 02215, USA
J Hand Surg Am 31:359-65. 2006
Despite the recent popularity of volar plating for dorsally displaced distal radius fractures there is a paucity of data documenting the results of this treatment method...
- Comparison of external and percutaneous pin fixation with plate fixation for intra-articular distal radial fractures. A randomized study
Department of Orthopaedics and Traumatology, Queen Mary Hospital, The University of Hong Kong, Pokfulam, Hong Kong
J Bone Joint Surg Am 90:16-22. 2008
..Two commonly used treatment methods are external fixation combined with percutaneous pin fixation and plate fixation. We performed a prospective multicenter randomized trial to compare these two treatment strategies...
- Volar plating of dorsally comminuted fractures of the distal radius: a 6-year study
John D Douthit
Swedish and Porter Adventist Hospitals, Denver, Colorado, USA
Am J Orthop (Belle Mead NJ) 34:140-7. 2005
This article describes a 6-year study of use of volar plating in treating unstable dorsally comminuted distal radius fractures. Forty-six fractures treated with volar plating were reviewed...
- Complications of volar plate fixation for managing distal radius fractures
Lisa M Berglund
Department of Orthopaedics, University of North Carolina, Chapel Hill, Chapel Hill, NC, USA
J Am Acad Orthop Surg 17:369-77. 2009
..via open reduction and internal fixation is an increasingly accepted method for managing displaced distal radius fractures. Volar plating offers biomechanically stable fixation, allows early rehabilitation, and enables fixation of ..
- Teriparatide improves early callus formation in distal radial fractures
Division of Orthopaedics, Department of Clinical and Experimental Medicine, Faculty of Health Sciences, Linkoping University, Sweden
Acta Orthop 81:234-6. 2010
..As radiographic cortical continuity appears late in the healing process, perhaps too late for clinical relevance, we studied the qualitative appearance of the callus 5 weeks after fracture...
- Wrist mobilization following volar plate fixation of fractures of the distal part of the radius
Santiago A Lozano-Calderon
Massachusetts General Hospital, Yawkey Center, Suite 2100, 55 Fruit Street, Boston, MA 02114, USA
J Bone Joint Surg Am 90:1297-304. 2008
- Are distal radius fracture classifications reproducible? Intra and interobserver agreement
João Carlos Belloti
Department of Orthopedics and Traumatology, Escola Paulista de Medicina, Universidade Federal de Sao Paulo, Sao Paulo, Brazil
Sao Paulo Med J 126:180-5. 2008
..The aim here was to evaluate the intraobserver and interobserver agreement of distal radius fracture classifications...
- Arthroplasty with a metal radial head for unreconstructible fractures of the radial head
J K Moro
St. Joseph's Health Care, McMaster University, Hamilton, Ontario, Canada
J Bone Joint Surg Am 83:1201-11. 2001
- The AO comprehensive classification of pediatric long-bone fractures: a web-based multicenter agreement study
Department of Pediatric Surgery, University Children s Hospital, Bern, Switzerland
J Pediatr Orthop 27:171-80. 2007
..We encourage broad-based consultation between surgeons' international societies and the use of this classification system in the context of clinical practice as well as prospectively for clinical studies...
- Bridging external fixation and supplementary Kirschner-wire fixation versus volar locked plating for unstable fractures of the distal radius: a randomised, prospective trial
Department of Orthopaedic Surgery The New York University Hospital for Joint Diseases, 301 East 17th Street, New York, New York 10003, USA
J Bone Joint Surg Br 90:1214-21. 2008
..The function at one year was similar in the two groups. No clear advantage could be demonstrated with either treatment but fewer re-operations were required in the external fixation group...
- Assessment of distal radioulnar joint instability after distal radius fracture: comparison of computed tomography and clinical examination results
Jong Pil Kim
Department of Orthopaedic Surgery, Dankook University School of Medicine, Cheonan, Korea
J Hand Surg Am 33:1486-92. 2008
..To compare computed tomography (CT) and clinical stress test findings in terms of the assessment of distal radioulnar joint (DRUJ) instability after distal radius fracture...
- An anatomic and mechanical study of the interosseous membrane of the forearm: pathomechanics of proximal migration of the radius
R N Hotchkiss
Department of Orthopaedic Surgery, Johns Hopkins University School of Medicine, Baltimore, MD
J Hand Surg Am 14:256-61. 1989
..Injury to the central band of the interosseous membrane may be crucial to the development of proximal migration of the radius after radial head excision...
- Bridging and non-bridging external fixation in the treatment of unstable fractures of the distal radius: a retrospective study of 588 patients
Alison J Hayes
Department of Surgery, Auckland City Hospital, Auckland, New Zealand
Acta Orthop 79:540-7. 2008
..external fixation is used more frequently than non-bridging fixation in the management of unstable distal radius fractures, despite evidence from randomized controlled trials of better outcome with the latter technique...
- Surgical treatment of redisplaced fractures of the distal radius in patients older than 60 years
Jesse B Jupiter
Hand Surgery Service and the Harvard Combined Orthopaedic Residency, Massachusetts General Hospital, 15 Parkman Street, Boston, MA 02114, USA
J Hand Surg Am 27:714-23. 2002
..Complications included loss of alignment, tendon rupture, transient radial sensory neuritis, and nonfatal pulmonary embolism in 1 patient each. Six plates were removed because of soft-tissue irritation...
- Fifteen-year outcome of displaced intra-articular fractures of the distal radius
Charles A Goldfarb
Department of Orthopaedic Surgery, Washington University School of Medicine, St Louis, Missouri, USA
J Hand Surg Am 31:633-9. 2006
..The purpose of the current investigation was to evaluate the same cohort at an average of 15 years after surgery to evaluate the effect of additional time on both function and radiographic appearance...
- The risk of adverse outcomes in extra-articular distal radius fractures is increased with malalignment in patients of all ages but mitigated in older patients
Division of Orthopedic Surgery, University of Western Ontario, Hand and Upper Limb Center, St Joseph s Health Care, London, Ontario, Canada
J Hand Surg Am 32:962-70. 2007
The purpose of this study was to determine if malalignment after extra-articular distal radius fractures influenced patient-reported pain and disability at 1 year and to investigate how this relationship changes with age.
- Volar versus dorsal plating in the management of intra-articular distal radius fractures
David S Ruch
Department of Orthopaedic Surgery, Wake Forest University School of Medicine, Winston Salem, NC, USA
J Hand Surg Am 31:9-16. 2006
To compare the complications and functional and radiographic outcomes of volar and dorsal plating of intra-articular distal radius fractures.
- Do radiographic indices of distal radius fracture reduction predict outcomes in older adults receiving conservative treatment?
J L Jaremko
Department of Radiology and Diagnostic Imaging, University of Alberta, Edmonton, Alberta, Canada
Clin Radiol 62:65-72. 2007
..To investigate whether radiographic deformities suggesting inadequate reduction would be associated with adverse clinical outcomes...
- Wrist fractures: what the clinician wants to know
C A Goldfarb
Mallinckrodt Institute of Radiology, Washington University School of Medicine, 510 S Kingshighway Blvd, St Louis, MO 63110, USA
Radiology 219:11-28. 2001
..After this evaluation, appropriate imaging studies appropriately performed and interpreted will help direct treatment and improve outcome with greater clarity and certainty...
- Epidemiology and treatment of distal radius fractures in Reykjavik, Iceland, in 2004. Comparison with an Icelandic study from 1985
Department of Orthopedics, Falun Hospital, Falun, Sweden
Acta Orthop 82:494-8. 2011
Recent literature suggests that the incidence and treatment modalities of distal radius fractures have been changing over the past 2 decades in the developed world...
- Outcome of unstable distal radius fractures treated with open reduction and internal fixation versus external fixation
Emmanuel P Estrella
Department of Orthopedics, University of the Philippines Manila, Philippines
Hand Surg 17:173-9. 2012
The objective of this study was to compare the clinical results of unstable distal radius fractures treated with ORIF with plate and screws compared to EF...
- Prospective study of distal radius fractures treated with a volar locking plate system
Department of Orthopaedics, Dokkyo Medical University School of Medicine, Tochigi, Japan
J Hand Surg Am 33:691-700. 2008
To prospectively determine the results of treatment of distal radius fractures with a volar locking plate system with no bone graft and early mobilization.
- Comparison of AO Type-B and Type-C volar shearing fractures of the distal part of the radius
J Sebastiaan Souer
Massachusetts General Hospital, Yawkey 2100, 55 Fruit Street, Boston, MA 02114, USA
J Bone Joint Surg Am 91:2605-11. 2009
- Ipsilateral fractures of the scaphoid and radius
T E Trumble
University of Washington School of Medicine, Seattle 98195
J Hand Surg Am 18:8-14. 1993
..The follow-up time averaged 2.9 years (range, 1.0 to 4.6 years). Internal fixation of the scaphoid in these combined injuries allowed for earlier and more aggressive therapy to maximize wrist and forearm motion...
- Assessment of complications of distal radius fractures and development of a complication checklist
S D McKay
Hand and Upper Limb Clinic, St Joseph s Health Centre, London, Ontario, Canada
J Hand Surg Am 26:916-22. 2001
..A DRF complication checklist was developed to improve prospective data collection. The checklist includes a classification for all DRF complications and allows for assessment of severity of each complication...
- Epidemiology and seasonal variation of distal radius fractures in Oulu, Finland
Division of Orthopaedic and Trauma Surgery, Department of Surgery, Oulu University Hospital, 90029 OYS, Oulu, Finland
Osteoporos Int 22:2307-12. 2011
The purpose of this study was to assess changes in epidemiology and reasons for wintertime excess of distal radius fractures in Oulu, Finland...
- More forearm fractures among urban than rural women: the NOREPOS study based on the Tromsø study and the HUNT study
Tone K Omsland
Department of General Practice and Community Medicine, University of Oslo, Oslo, Norway
J Bone Miner Res 26:850-6. 2011
..21 (95% CI 0.96-1.52) to 1.05 (95% CI 0.83-1.32), suggesting that BMD is an important explanatory factor. In conclusion, higher rates of forearm fractures was found in urban compared with rural women...